Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)

Second movie of the franchise. Comes out on November 16th.

First look at Jude Law as Dumbledore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157November 21, 2018 2:02 PM

Group photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2017 1:59 PM

They've got to be regretting the choice of Johnny Depp as Grindelwald.

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2017 2:07 PM

Oh, for sure. Still, doesn't he look healthier here? Less bloated, mainly.

by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2017 2:23 PM

Johnny Depp is trending globally on Twitter right now because people are mad that Warner Bros would keep an abuser in one of their movies. I don't understand what these outraged people thought would happen after he had already starred in the first movie. That the studio would recast an A-lister like Depp and effectively end his career overnight?

Still, I'd bet their marketing team must be in a full-blown panic mode right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2017 7:48 PM

The first of this series was so awful that maybe this will kill his career.

by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2017 8:24 PM

I kinda hate that they botched this homosexual love story by casting Depp. Should've gone to Skarsgård from the start.

Such a missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2017 8:30 PM

It is called Fantastic Beats for what? It isn't really about that.

by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2017 9:32 PM

Well, I think it is still about Newt Scamander and maybe patly about his now published book.

by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2017 9:05 PM

Yates defends Depp's casting.

[quote]Honestly, there’s an issue at the moment where there’s a lot of people being accused of things, they’re being accused by multiple victims, and it’s compelling and frightening. With Johnny, it seems to me there was one person who took a pop at him and claimed something. I can only tell you about the man I see every day: He’s full of decency and kindness, and that’s all I see. Whatever accusation was out there doesn’t tally with the kind of human being I’ve been working with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 28, 2017 5:11 PM

Fantashtic Beash: The Crimesh of Gwendolyn

by Anonymousreply 10November 28, 2017 5:15 PM

Hi, Lizsha!

by Anonymousreply 11November 28, 2017 5:17 PM

The first movie was terrible. No need to keep watching this series

by Anonymousreply 12November 28, 2017 5:27 PM

It is funny how the big "reveal" that it wasn't Colin Farrell but actually Johnny Depp made everyone groan. Everywhere I've seen discussion of the movie people would have rather had Colin than him.

Curious to see how they handle Dumbledore, JK Rowling better redeem her error and give the audience something clear that establishes he is gay.

by Anonymousreply 13November 28, 2017 5:55 PM

I loved the first movie. Niffler was the star of the show. It was a sweet, funny kids movie. No need for a homoerotic subtext.

by Anonymousreply 14November 28, 2017 6:23 PM

[quote]No need for a homoerotic subtext.

Err. There is absolutely a need. Dumbledore was in love with Grindlewald, and tried to blind himself to what he was. That is a crucial component of the characters relationship and Dumbledore's sense of guilt and responsibility.

by Anonymousreply 15November 28, 2017 6:27 PM

I didn’t like the Potter series and I didn’t make it through FB. ☹️

by Anonymousreply 16November 28, 2017 6:31 PM

R15 it’s a children’s movie. There is absolutely no need for it. You read into it whatever you want but not everything is about you.

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2017 6:35 PM

Are you a troll? The existence of gay people is threatening to children? Am I actually reading this on a gay board?

I'm not "reading into it". In case you didn't pick that up from reading the series, the author spelled it out.

[quote]Dumbledore fell in love with Grindelwald, and that added to his horror when Grindelwald showed himself to be what he was. To an extent, do we say it excused Dumbledore a little more because falling in love can blind us to an extent? But, he met someone as brilliant as he was, and rather like Bellatrix he was very drawn to this brilliant person, and horribly, terribly let down by him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 28, 2017 6:38 PM

No the existence of gay people is not threatening to children AND I DID NOT SAY THAT cunt r18. What I said is children don’t need a homoerotic subtext. This is a movie for children, it’s not about you and your need to view every fucking thing through the lens of your own ego.

by Anonymousreply 19November 28, 2017 8:37 PM

I'd rather a thousand Depps than one Katherine Waterston. That wan bitch ruins everything she's in.

by Anonymousreply 20November 28, 2017 8:41 PM

R19 First of all, it's not a "movie for children" but a movie that is also suitable for children. In fact, many critics have been pointing out just how much darker it was in its tone compared to the HP movies.

Secondly, what about the heteroerotic subtext of the first movie? Didn't all that flirting between the four main characters bother those poor children?

by Anonymousreply 21November 28, 2017 8:41 PM

r19 must be kidding. Yikes are on you on the wrong forum with your sad homophobia and not even knowing the story You are wrong, just admit it.

by Anonymousreply 22November 28, 2017 8:56 PM

I think they should move the action back to Britain, I really didn't like the NY setting.

And, yes, the gay issue should be addressed in some way.

by Anonymousreply 23November 28, 2017 9:35 PM

First pic! Both looking very dapper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2017 7:04 PM

I love Jude Law - I think he is sexy as hell

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2017 7:08 PM

[quote]“I can’t tell you everything I would like to say because this is obviously a five-part story so there’s lots to unpack in that relationship,” she said. “You will see Dumbledore as a younger man and quite a troubled man — he wasn’t always the sage…We’ll see him at that formative period of his life.” She went on to hint that Dumbledore will be openly gay in the series. “As far as his sexuality is concerned,” she said, pausing for a moment. “Watch this space.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2017 7:09 PM

J. K. Rowling finally responds to the casting controversy on her blog:

[quote]When Johnny Depp was cast as Grindelwald, I thought he’d be wonderful in the role. However, around the time of filming his cameo in the first movie, stories had appeared in the press that deeply concerned me and everyone most closely involved in the franchise.

[quote]Harry Potter fans had legitimate questions and concerns about our choice to continue with Johnny Depp in the role. As David Yates, long-time Potter director, has already said, we naturally considered the possibility of recasting. I understand why some have been confused and angry about why that didn’t happen.

[quote]The huge, mutually supportive community that has grown up around Harry Potter is one of the greatest joys of my life. For me personally, the inability to speak openly to fans about this issue has been difficult, frustrating and at times painful. However, the agreements that have been put in place to protect the privacy of two people, both of whom have expressed a desire to get on with their lives, must be respected. Based on our understanding of the circumstances, the filmmakers and I are not only comfortable sticking with our original casting, but genuinely happy to have Johnny playing a major character in the movies.

[quote]I’ve loved writing the first two screenplays and I can’t wait for fans to see ‘The Crimes of Grindelwald’. I accept that there will be those who are not satisfied with our choice of actor in the title role. However, conscience isn’t governable by committee. Within the fictional world and outside it, we all have to do what we believe to be the right thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2017 5:27 PM

Daniel Radcliffe breaks silence on Johnny Depp Fantastic Beasts casting controversy: ‘It’s a very hard thing for me…

Daniel Radcliffe wades into the Fantastic Beasts controversy over Johnny Depp's casting: 'I can see why people are frustrated'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 13, 2018 7:35 AM

[quote]I can see why people are frustrated with the response that they were given from that," Radcliffe said. "I'm not saying anything that anybody hasn't already said — and this is a weird analogy to draw — [but] in the NFL, there are lots of players arrested for smoking weed and there is other people's behavior that goes way beyond that and it's tolerated because they're very famous players.

[quote]suppose the thing I was struck by was, we did have a guy who was reprimanded for weed on the [original Potter] film, essentially, so obviously what Johnny has been accused of is much greater than that

- Daniel Radcliffe

by Anonymousreply 29January 13, 2018 7:37 AM

"No the existence of gay people is not threatening to children AND I DID NOT SAY THAT cunt [R18]. What I said is children don’t need a homoerotic subtext. This is a movie for children, it’s not about you and your need to view every fucking thing through the lens of your own ego."

You must be a paragon of mental health, I'm sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 13, 2018 10:05 AM

I thought Grindlewald was supposed to be hot at that time period, not a 60-year old dry drunk. Why on earth would he and young Dumbledore be attracted to each other?

by Anonymousreply 31January 13, 2018 10:40 AM

He was the wrong actor for the role in the first part, and that they kept him on - and that Rowling has defended him so vociferously - says something, I'm just not sure what.

by Anonymousreply 32January 13, 2018 10:42 AM

It's January and they already do the whole PR teasing for a movie that's released in November? No wonder PR budgets are so astronomical these days.

by Anonymousreply 33January 13, 2018 10:56 AM

It's not a standalone movie like Red Sparrow, it's part of a franchise in a sea of franchises. So you need to feed these morsels to the fans constantly if you don't want them to move on.

by Anonymousreply 34January 13, 2018 11:05 AM

r34, it's rather tragic that some humans have longer lasting relationships with movie and TV franchise than ones with other human beings. It shows you what the (PR) media can do to you.

by Anonymousreply 35January 13, 2018 11:20 AM

Sorry, movie and TV franchises

by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2018 11:21 AM

Tragic or not, these movies make their fans happy and plenty of people employed. I guess that counts for something as well.

by Anonymousreply 37January 13, 2018 11:29 AM

r37, cocaine and meth make people happy and plenty of people employed as well. Doesn't make it less dangerous for your physical and mental health.

by Anonymousreply 38January 13, 2018 11:32 AM

"cocaine and meth make people happy and plenty of people employed as well."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 15, 2018 11:58 AM

R38 That comparison is ridiculous on its face and you know it. No, the meth and cocaine "trade" does not legitimately employ as many people (with benefits, unions, pensions...) as the entertainment industry, nor do motion pictures have the same psychological and physiological effects on people as Schedule I controlled substances.

Perhaps you'll stop being a bitch about it if you think of Hollywood productions as a global export that softens the American trade deficit with the world and is one of the factors that makes you enjoy the living standard that you currently do. But probably not as you're just interested in being contrarian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 15, 2018 12:27 PM

[quote]No the existence of gay people is not threatening to children AND I DID NOT SAY THAT cunt [R18]. What I said is children don’t need a homoerotic subtext. This is a movie for children, it’s not about you and your need to view every fucking thing through the lens of your own ego.

R19, you sound like a homophobic Russian who believes Putin's anti-gay propaganda. I collaborate on an international design forum where some of the members are from Russia and other Eastern European nations. It's scary and sad to notice that otherwise design-oriented and fun people turn into complete strangers whenever gay issues come up: The hate is real. Some of them truly believe gay people are monsters (thankfully not all, though). Obviously this might have nothing to do with you but I was just reminded of their bigotry when I read your posts. And obviously Putin is not responsible for all the homophobia in Eastern Europe. It was there before and that cunt is using it as a propaganda tool.

[quote]controversy over Johnny Depp's casting

I have a feeling people might feel stronger about Depp if the accuser was someone else than the gold digger extraordinaire Amber Heard. She doesn't come off as too trustworthy although tbh it's very well possible he really was violent towards her. I dislike Depp and generally avoid seeing any of his now-hammy performances but in this case I don't care he was not fired.

by Anonymousreply 41January 15, 2018 12:51 PM

Director says there will be no explicit reference to Dumbledore being gay in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 31, 2018 6:45 PM

Wonderful. I'm sure many on DL will be pleased.

by Anonymousreply 43January 31, 2018 7:39 PM

People are not happy

[quote]If you're not going to make Young Dumbledore's sexuality explicitly clear in Fantastic Beasts then why even bother with this film at all tbh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 31, 2018 7:56 PM

I agree with R23, I disliked the first movie, the New York background did not work for me at all. I don't particularly care about the Depp controversy as I think the franchise has worse problems than that, including the lead actor.

by Anonymousreply 45January 31, 2018 7:58 PM

I wish someone at the top would be honest just for once and say to the fans: "We're not mentioning Dumbledore's gay because of China. So there. Would you rather have a de-gayed Dumbledore or no Dumbledore at all?"

We're never getting a gay story in a mainstream movie as long as China is banning gay "propaganda". I know that's exactly the reason for that decision and I would like this to finally be out in the open.

by Anonymousreply 46January 31, 2018 9:33 PM

Hmmm... will they absolutely not mention he is gay ? Even with a confrontation with Grindelwald who was his lover ?

Because, not being explicit could mean they won't show sex. Like we know Mr. Weasley and Mrs. Weasley are married, but thankfully we don't see them having sex.

Also, according to the quote at R26, Dumbledore should have an arc over the 5 films and been openly shown as gay. Not in film 2, but later.

Anyways, Jude Law looks quite charismatic here. Too bad, they could keep Colin Farrell to act with him.

by Anonymousreply 47January 31, 2018 9:59 PM

But the Dumbledore/Grindlewald story makes no sense if you take out the romance! And there's absolutely nothing question of any physical contact between them it her than in a fight, no kisses or sex scenes or anything that might frighten the horses, just the fact that Dumbledore's feelings regarding Grindlewald are colored by his once having been madly in love. Friendship doesn't have the same effect, it doesn't leave you with the kind if broken heart that affects your relationship for the rest of your life, so thus is one relationship that shouldn't be left to subtext.

The Grindlewald/Creed relationship did make for excellent subtext, but Rowling needs to take it further for the next movie.

by Anonymousreply 48February 1, 2018 4:51 AM

Urgh ! *be* and *could NOT keep*

by Anonymousreply 49February 1, 2018 10:44 AM

Great opinion piece by one of the ScreenRant editors. (Just don't read the comments.)

However, I still maintain this is about China and she doesn't address that angle at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 1, 2018 3:02 PM

Grace offers her take on this debacle. I agree with most of her points but I'll never support her (often-expressed) view that homosexuality necessarily involves a discussion of sex so it's not suitable for children. That's such a heteronormative view and some straight people seem to be unable to grasp just how offensive it is to suggest that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 1, 2018 7:34 PM

[quote]but I'll never support her (often-expressed) view that homosexuality necessarily involves a discussion of sex so it's not suitable for children.

Yikes! As if I needed another reason to dislike Grace. Someone being gay is no more about sex and unfriendly to kids than being straight is. Not understanding that is homophobia 101.

by Anonymousreply 52February 1, 2018 7:40 PM

R52 I have to correct myself. She actually said sexuality, not sex, but that doesn't make it any better. Why don't straight pairings involve a discussion of sexuality as well? It's because kids aren't yet conditioned and simply accept those relationships as they are. So yes, saying gay relationships need to involve a discussion of sexuality because they're something "extra" is inherently bigoted.

by Anonymousreply 53February 1, 2018 7:48 PM

I agree with the poster saying it is a studio decision because they are worried about it hurting the box office in homophobic countries like China.

That is why you see more gay characters on TV (for domestic audiences) than in movies (which have to play around the globe).

by Anonymousreply 54February 1, 2018 9:53 PM

JK Rowling responds

[quote]Being sent abuse about an interview that didn't involve me, about a screenplay I wrote but which none of the angry people have read, which is part of a five-movie series that's only one instalment in, is obviously tons of fun, but you know what's even *more* fun?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 1, 2018 10:30 PM

R55 That's kinda inconsiderate. I see her point but she should also be aware that this is a huge deal to many people and of course their first response would be emotional. I don't condone abuse of any kind, though.

by Anonymousreply 56February 1, 2018 10:33 PM

Am I the only one here who wants to pound Ezra Miller's hole?

by Anonymousreply 57February 1, 2018 10:42 PM

I agree r56. She should have shown a little more consideration to why the fanbase is upset about it.

by Anonymousreply 58February 1, 2018 11:08 PM

Fuck R19.

For the record, I thought the first "Bests" movie was pretty terrible. Boring even. And WAY too long.

by Anonymousreply 59February 1, 2018 11:12 PM

Should've gone to Skarsgård from the start. Such a missed opportunity.

Definitely a good idea - a Grindelwald anyone (man or woman!) would lust over, though he's younger than Jude Law (or looks it anyway), so the relationship would have a different dynamic. Even if you ignore the Amber Beard drama, Johnny Depp is just a washed up shell of himself and I used to love him in 21 Jump Street, Gilbert Grape, etc. He was a bad choice, but I guess we'll find out in November...

by Anonymousreply 60February 1, 2018 11:59 PM

Forbes speaks the truth. They don't want Dumbledore to be gay because of the potential box office lost

[quote]“Russia almost banned Walt Disney’s Beauty and the Beast last year over a blink-and-you-miss-it same-sex waltz between Josh Gad’s LeFou and a random male extra. China let it through, but they have been known to heavily censor gay-friendly cinema (Cloud Atlas was cut by around 40 minutes back in early 2013)…While Crimes of Grindelwald with an overtly gay Dumbledore could become an event among respective demographics to compensate for any lost domestic viewership, that is A) no guarantee and B) unlikely to compensate for lost foreign sales should the film get banned in various markets.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 2, 2018 6:34 PM

Too bad we make films for other countries instead of just telling stories we want to tell.

by Anonymousreply 62February 2, 2018 9:27 PM

Big studio execs will always choose bigger returns over stories we want to tell, which is only natural in capitalism.

Of course, that necessarily means the idea of homosexuality or rather a favourable view of homosexuality is something that's doomed to fail when exposed to the global market. There's simply no getting around the combined (and increasing!) Chinese, Indian, African, Muslim, and Russian markets. And if that's not depressive enough for you, none of us here will probably live long enough to see that change.

by Anonymousreply 63February 2, 2018 9:40 PM

Well, R63, that is a bit depressing. So, tentpole movies, aiming to conquer the planet, have to reflect the other part of the world's values ? Couldn't Hollywood export our values instead ? Yeah, rhetoric question.

by Anonymousreply 64February 2, 2018 9:46 PM

Just NO! Depp has too many tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 65February 2, 2018 10:05 PM

Teaser trailer just dropped!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 13, 2018 4:03 PM

^^ Is it just me or is Jude Law simply spell-binding (pun intended) in that scene when he's first revealed? Such presence! And great subtle accent work as well.

This one looks to be way more exciting than the first instalment.

by Anonymousreply 67March 13, 2018 4:09 PM

Ezra looking butch as fuck in that trailer. Who knew he had it in him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 13, 2018 6:23 PM

[bold]Unfortunately, Dumbledore does not fuck in the first [italic]Crimes of Grindelwald trailer[/italic][/bold]

The AV Club goes straight to the point.

[quote]We knew it was coming, but we held out hope. However, the first trailer for [italic]The Crimes of Grindelwald,[/italic] the second film in the five-part [italic]Fantastic Beasts[/italic] series, confirms that Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law) does not fuck in this movie. There’s plenty of other eye candy for Potterheads, though: We catch glimpses of Hogwarts in the ‘20s, the Deluminator, a thestral-drawn carriage, and Dumbledore in his study, presumably fresh off teaching a Transfiguration lesson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 13, 2018 7:00 PM

Well, I’ll go on the record as being excited for this film. Harry Potter is an enjoyable and relaxing escape for me. Am I disappointed about both the casting and sexuality of Dumbledore? Yeah, but damn I can’t be so ideologically pure about everything.

Also Grindelwald never returned Dumbledore’s feelings and Dumbledore never dated anyone else, so this portrayal isn’t wholly inaccurate.

by Anonymousreply 70March 13, 2018 8:11 PM

R67, I agree. What a presence ! Very charismatic. Too bad we won't get to see him act with Colin Farrell.

About love subplots, maybe the author can have her own story unfold over the five films as she intends to ?

People are acting like they are on a fanfic site and asking for comissions.

I think the movie looks gorgeous and well acted. Let's hope it delivers.

by Anonymousreply 71March 13, 2018 9:05 PM

It looks good, it'll be worth seeing for Jude Law alone. That glimpse of Depp with the long hair gave me some hope he won't be as distractingly bad as I first thought. He and Law could have an interesting chemistry, they're both charismatic men in their own ways.

by Anonymousreply 72March 13, 2018 9:28 PM

I agree, R72. Who would have thought ?

by Anonymousreply 73March 13, 2018 9:53 PM

Was that Zoe Kravitz ,what is she doing in there?

by Anonymousreply 74March 13, 2018 10:06 PM

She is Leta Lestrange. Newt had a picture of her in the first film. He went to school with her and was in love with her. Probably still is.

She seems to be a taker and manipulator.

SPOILERS for film 2:

She is now fianced to Newt'older brother.

by Anonymousreply 75March 13, 2018 10:17 PM

I didn't particularly enjoy the first one, but the trailer for this second one looks pretty good.

I hope that it's not another disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 76March 13, 2018 10:44 PM

Oh, I forgot to add:

I would rather have had Rufus Sewell, Paul Bettany, or Nikolaj Coster-Waldau play Grindewald.

Depp today lacks the magnetism that would draw an entire movement behind him, let alone rapturous love from Dumbledore.

by Anonymousreply 77March 13, 2018 10:56 PM

Excited for Jude being back in an A-list blockbuster. He has his Victorian John Watson look here. Hot. I can even look past weird looking redmayne.

R77 Bettany is an interesting idea. Give him an A-list chance too.

Anyone is more swoon worthy (to viewers) than Depp.

by Anonymousreply 78March 13, 2018 11:06 PM

Perhaps Grindelwald [italic]should[/italic] be repulsive and not swoon-worthy? Isn't he supposed to be the Hitler of the wizarding world? Even so, I still maintain Alexander Skarsgård should have gotten this role. Now that is one fanfic community I wouldn't mind joining.

by Anonymousreply 79March 13, 2018 11:12 PM

Yeah, Paul Bettany would have been a terrific Grindlewald!

The trailer does look good, makes me want to see this mess even though I didn't actually like "Fantastic Beasts". Hopefully the series will get better as it goes along.

by Anonymousreply 80March 14, 2018 5:20 AM

[bold]Ian McKellen Is Tired of Hollywood’s Obsession with Straight White Dudes[/bold]

[quote]...the conversation drifted toward the Harry Potter character Albus Dumbledore—who is gay in J.K. Rowling’s books, but will not be explicitly gay in the upcoming prequel movie, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.

[quote]McKellen, who almost played the part of Dumbledore himself after original actor Richard Harris died in 2002, was unsurprised to hear this news.

[quote]“That’s a pity,” he said. “Well, nobody looks to Hollywood for social commentary, do they? They only recently discovered that there were black people in the world.”

[quote]But he wasn’t done: “Hollywood has mistreated women in every possible way throughout its history. Gay men don’t exist. 'Gods and Monsters', I think, was the beginning of Hollywood admitting that there were gay people knocking around, even though half of Hollywood is gay.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 28, 2018 4:51 PM

I will never understand why movie studios don't edit different versions for different regions of the world? If it's about gay scenes they can be taken out and, usually, the rest of the movie still makes some sense (unless the characters being gay and in a relationship is vital to the plot - which, apparently in this movie's case it's not).

by Anonymousreply 82May 28, 2018 5:55 PM

r82 Horrible idea. That would send a clear message to the audiences that the studio agrees that homosexuality is a western thing exclusively. Also, where do we draw the line? I'm sure the Russians and the Chinese would prefer if their movies featured fewer people of colour. Should we cut them out as well? It's a slippery slope and you can end up with two completely different movies.

by Anonymousreply 83June 1, 2018 2:26 PM

[bold]Jude Law breaks silence on playing young Dumbledore[/bold]

[quote][bold]There was some uproar earlier this year when director David Yates told EW the character not “explicitly gay” in this film. What’s your take on how apparent Dumbledore’s sexuality should be?[/bold]

[quote]Jo Rowling revealed some years back that Dumbledore was gay. That was a question I actually asked Jo and she said, yes, he’s gay. But as with humans, your sexuality doesn’t necessarily define you; he’s multifaceted. I suppose the question is: How is Dumbledore’s sexuality depicted in this film? What you got to remember this is only the second Fantastic Beasts film in a series and what’s brilliant about Jo’s writing is how she reveals her characters, peels them to the heart over time. You’re just getting to know Albus in this film, and there’s obviously a lot more to come. We learn a little about his past in the beginning of this film, and characters and their relationships will unfold naturally which I’m excited to reveal. But we’re not going to reveal everything all at once.

I don't know about you, but I kinda hate it when the heteros go into lecturing mode on how important sexuality should or shouldn't be to one's identity. Sorry, but that's for each person to decide on their own. Also, it seems to me it's pretty damn important to one's identity, seeing how it's still criminalized in 74 countries around the world...

Oh, and [SPOILER ALERT] he doesn't share any scenes with Depp in this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84July 17, 2018 5:24 PM

Thanks to you guy(s) for the news. The next trailer needs to hurry. I'm looking forward to Oct when the promo/press tour. Jude needs to be back in the blockbuster limelight!

by Anonymousreply 85July 17, 2018 11:49 PM

Jude Law just uses the same excuse Rowling used.

We hide it in this movie, but there might be a hint in a later one. Like at the end, the very end.

by Anonymousreply 86July 17, 2018 11:50 PM

Comic-Con trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 21, 2018 6:17 PM

The poster will send all those Millennials who have this tattoo into a frenzy, I'm sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 21, 2018 6:18 PM

The dragon at 2:20 is interesting and cute but those cats with the blue eyes are way too CG-looking. Hope they polish that before it's released.

I'm excited for this movie after seeing that trailer. Love every visit to the wizarding world, even when the attempt is just average.

by Anonymousreply 89July 21, 2018 6:27 PM

Depp came out in costume and in character today.

Another entry in that "Depp's collapse is complete" thread, I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 21, 2018 6:30 PM

Ezra Miller pulling all the attention, as always.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 21, 2018 6:32 PM

[quote]We finally learn what Dumbledore sees when he looks into the Mirror of Erised, and it's not a new pair of socks. He most desires the love of his life who turned to the dark side, Grindewald. This is the closest we've ever come to being shown that Dumbledore is gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 21, 2018 6:40 PM

r92 Yeah, that bit was great. I can't believe how giddy I felt when it happened and I'm a grown-ass man. I guess representation feels almost magical to those who've never had it.

by Anonymousreply 93July 21, 2018 6:45 PM

The Crimes of Grindelwald Poster #2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94July 21, 2018 8:33 PM

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Poster #1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 21, 2018 8:33 PM

R88 Zoe Kravitz looks gorgeous. Who's the woman on the right of photo?

by Anonymousreply 96July 21, 2018 8:36 PM

Callum Turner kinda looks like Matt Smith (Doctor Who)

by Anonymousreply 97July 21, 2018 8:37 PM

r96 Claudia Kim, a South Korean actress and model.

by Anonymousreply 98July 21, 2018 8:56 PM

It looks like fun. I hope the characters are more explored this time.

I still bemoan the fact that the fascist dark sorcerer is played by Depp rather than Farrell. Strangely that role suited him. And also, I would pay hard-earned money to watch Jude Law going at it with Colin Farrell.

by Anonymousreply 99July 21, 2018 9:25 PM

R98 Thanks

by Anonymousreply 100July 21, 2018 9:27 PM

Why did they cast bald actor Jude Law as Dumbledore?

by Anonymousreply 101July 21, 2018 9:29 PM

Leave him alone, R101. I think he looks fine and seems to incarnate Dumbledore perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 102July 21, 2018 9:33 PM

I would prefer an out actor like Ben Whishaw as Dumbledore than closet case Jude Law.

by Anonymousreply 103July 21, 2018 9:36 PM

r102 I also think he looks great. And that subtle accent he does sounds so good to my ears. Almost ASMR-like.

r103 I love Whishaw but I don't think he has the right presence for this. Of course, I'll always root for out gay actors to play [italic]prominent[/italic] gay roles, just to get more exposure.

by Anonymousreply 104July 21, 2018 9:39 PM

I do want to see this one, even if the first movie wasn't very good.

However, Depp looks awful and sounds worse. He used to be able to do decent British accents, but here he's doing a bad one, when he logically the character should have a German accent and British grammar, as he's a German who's spent a lot of time in England. Instead, he sounds like an American faking Britishness, feh.

by Anonymousreply 105July 22, 2018 1:11 AM

They should have kept Colin Farrell, but instead we're getting Gellert Sparrow.

by Anonymousreply 106July 22, 2018 3:04 AM

For those who hated the first film, why even watch the trailer for the sequel or comment in this thread?

by Anonymousreply 107July 22, 2018 3:19 AM

R107, we were disappointed. But we are curious to see if they can improve. The universe and most characters had potential.

by Anonymousreply 108July 22, 2018 3:22 AM

What do we know of Callum Turner, who seems to be playing Newt's brother?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 22, 2018 3:39 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 22, 2018 6:33 AM

Jude Law is very annoying with his fake life and bearding antics

by Anonymousreply 111July 22, 2018 6:34 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 22, 2018 6:35 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113July 22, 2018 6:37 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 22, 2018 6:37 AM

r109 Someone mentioned Matt Smith but he also looks a bit like Josh O'Connor and Sally Hawkins, doesn't he? Very versatile mug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 22, 2018 11:10 AM

Eddie Redmayne, our Newt, will be answering your most pressing questions. Ask away! #FantasticBeasts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 15, 2018 10:36 PM

Well R109, he’s an English actor, most known in the states for the horror film Green Room. But, he’s been in other films like Netflix Original Tramps, Queen and Country, Victor Frankenstein, and Amazon Studios' The Only Living Boy in New York. He’s so hot. I will watch pretty much anything that he’s in (including this now). Unfortunately, the are no gay rumors about him. But, a girl can still dream.

You can see a glimpse of his penis in this shower scene from the British TV series Glue:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 15, 2018 11:03 PM

[quote]What do we know of Callum Turner, who seems to be playing Newt's brother?

He's 8 years younger than Redmayne, but playing his OLDER brother?

by Anonymousreply 118August 16, 2018 2:02 AM

R118 Probably because Redmayne is so youthful in appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 16, 2018 2:22 AM

I was hoping for junket press interviews to appear on youtube by now, since Fantastic Beasts 2 opens 16 Nov. Wanna see Jude being charismatic and acting enthusiastic discussing the movie.

by Anonymousreply 120October 24, 2018 11:33 PM

Warner Bros allows the release of actors' press junket interviews starting today, it seems. Jude is as usual handsome, charismatic and patiently professional.

Don't even think I'll watch the movie. Just here for the junket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 5, 2018 7:32 PM

Jude Law has played gay before, so if they need Dumbledore to have more overt gay subtext, they could just insert bits from Jude Law's performance in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. That would be entertaining, wouldn't it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122November 6, 2018 12:30 AM

great poster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 9, 2018 1:24 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124November 9, 2018 1:25 AM

So according to actors Dumbledore went from English in his early years to Irish in his old age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 9, 2018 1:27 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126November 9, 2018 1:28 AM

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald review – Jude Law's Dumbledore shines in saggy sequel 3 stars out of 5 stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 9, 2018 1:29 AM

Mashable’s Angie Han

“There are something like a dozen major characters and half a dozen storylines in ‘Crimes of Grindelwald.’ In addition, there are subplots within subplots, supporting characters with their own supporting characters, Easter eggs butting up against other Easter eggs, and secrets stacked on top of secrets, until the whole precarious pile comes tumbling down in a chaotic third act.”

by Anonymousreply 128November 9, 2018 1:34 AM

Rolling Stone’s Peter Travers

“The last place you’d expect to find the first anti-Trump blockbuster of the Donald’s presidency is a Harry Potter-related prequel. But here it is, folks, a not-so-innocuous family film – from J.K. Rowling, in origin-story mode – about building a wall, literal and metaphoric, to keep out scary things people don’t understand…the real stars here are the beasts, supposedly ugly, weird and dangerous, but paragons of FX creativity in service of genuine ideas.”

by Anonymousreply 129November 9, 2018 1:34 AM

Io9’s Germain Lussier

“It needs to have an interesting story with dynamic characters and only tangentially tease toward future films that may or may not happen. However, Rowling’s script goes the opposite way. ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald’ is even less concerned with telling a concise, satisfying story than its predecessor. What’s worse is at almost every turn, it weaves in broad strokes created only to set up the next movie, few of which add to what’s actually happening on screen.”

by Anonymousreply 130November 9, 2018 1:35 AM

The Los Angeles Times’ Justin Chang

“An excruciating bore just barely enlivened by stray glimpses of Hogwarts, a flicker of gay romance and a menagerie of computer-generated creepy-crawlies, ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald’ is enough to make J.K. Rowling fans weep in frustration, provided they can even keep their eyes

by Anonymousreply 131November 9, 2018 1:35 AM

Variety’s Andrew Barker

“The noisiest, most rhythmless, and least coherent entry in the Wizarding World saga since Alfonso Cuarón first gave the franchise its sea legs in 2004, ‘Grindelwald’ feels less like ‘The Hobbit’ than a trawl through the appendixes of ‘The Silmarillion’ — a confusing jumble of new characters and eye-crossing marginalia. Most of the surface pleasures of filmic Potterdom (the chiaroscuro tones, the overqualified character actors, the superb costuming, James Newton Howard’s warmly enveloping score) have survived intact, but real magic is in short supply

by Anonymousreply 132November 9, 2018 1:36 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133November 9, 2018 1:39 AM

The review at R128 mirrors the concerns I've had about this movie. I enjoyed the first one, but it was a fairly streamlined and fun plot about Newt Scamander. Not sure what to think about this one bringing in a billion old characters to tie Newt's story directly into Harry Potter's life. Maybe this should've been a two parter.

by Anonymousreply 134November 9, 2018 1:20 PM

The Most Brutal Reviews of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 10, 2018 8:15 PM

R1, who's the guy sitting in the center?

by Anonymousreply 136November 10, 2018 8:18 PM

R136 Callum Turner

by Anonymousreply 137November 10, 2018 8:19 PM

Callum Turner was in Glue (TV Mini-Series) and War & Peace (TV Mini-Series) .

by Anonymousreply 138November 10, 2018 8:20 PM

Just finished seeing it. JK is a cunt. That is all. Don’t want to spoil it for you.

by Anonymousreply 139November 14, 2018 7:58 AM

But at least Newts brother is really cute.

by Anonymousreply 140November 14, 2018 7:59 AM

Ugh, Depp is so ugly in this.

by Anonymousreply 141November 14, 2018 8:00 AM

So I watched an advance screening. It was fun.

I thought it was better than the first film, it has more tightened action.

But it also has the same frustrating flaws. It is sometimes disjointed. It goes too quickly from point A to point B without earning the emotionnal impact they are going for. All characters have potential and should have been interesting, alas, they are often underdevelopped.

If you go keeping that in mind and don't expect a best scenario Oscar contenter, then you should have a fun time at a popcorn movie better than average. What is more, all actors seems to have fun and Jude Law was a joy to watch. And I must admit reluctantly that Johnny Depp wasn't that bad and didn't spoil the film. No, he doesn't have as much strenght and charisma than Colin Farrell. But he was not a catastrophy.

Speaking of Farrell, I wish they 'd mention in a sentence whatever happened to the real Graves.

If there is spoiler thread, I'd give more details about what I thought was fun and what could have been better imo.

by Anonymousreply 142November 15, 2018 8:17 PM

The toxicity of Johnny Depp is perhaps the only interesting subtext in 'Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143November 17, 2018 9:55 PM

As douchy as Farrell has been over the years, I'd like to see him have a resurgence of some sort.

He was so stunning to look at in Minority Report and was one of the better things in the first Fantastic Beasts movie (better than Redmayne, not as interesting as the Jacob character).

by Anonymousreply 144November 17, 2018 10:08 PM

Redmayne is once again loveable in the role of Newt and proved that he could actually work as the lead for this series, I can't see anyone else in the role of Scamander, Eddie is perfectly cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 17, 2018 11:49 PM

Fantastic Cats and Where To Find Them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146November 17, 2018 11:52 PM

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald’s bonkers plot twist, explained

If true, the movie’s biggest revelation contains major implications for the entire Harry Potter universe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147November 19, 2018 10:53 PM

Fun article, R147.

The dead sister’s Obscurus residing in Credence is a pretty crafty explanation.

The Mcgonagall issue was pretty sloppy though, because it’s directly refuted by canon. They could’ve easily made the Professor have a surname “Ross” from the actual magical side of her family. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 148November 19, 2018 11:59 PM

If JK Rowling hadn't announced Dumbledore was gay, would you have had your suspicions from watching this movie? Or is it so obscured that he and Grindelwald would've seemed like any random boyhood rivalry?

by Anonymousreply 149November 20, 2018 10:17 AM

The first movie was so boring... I hesitate to see this sequel.

by Anonymousreply 150November 20, 2018 10:23 AM

Yes : "I know you were like brothers. We were more than brothers." Flashback to the two young tanks reflected in the horror of Erised, hand touching.

Not erotic nor modern and certainly not explicit, but you get the message.

by Anonymousreply 151November 20, 2018 10:24 AM

R151 Lame...

by Anonymousreply 152November 20, 2018 12:04 PM

Uh.. . What happened ? I blame the auto correct.

So : two young men AND mirror of Erised, obviously.

R152, not very explicit, and yet some were uncomfortable even with this in the audience I was with.

by Anonymousreply 153November 20, 2018 9:39 PM

R150, I don't know what to recommand.

If you like action, you might enjoy it more because the action is a lot better in this one. It was entertaining, with beautiful cinematography and the actors were obviously happy to reprise their role or join the family. It was fun.

However, if you disliked the disjointed aspect of the first film, the underdevelopped subplots, then you will experiment the exact same frustration. Most characters have potential but they (or the situations pertaining to them) are so underdevelopped that they don't get to earn the emotional impact.

I thought it was better than the first one, but it has similar flaws.

You be the judge.

by Anonymousreply 154November 20, 2018 10:16 PM

I don't know whose dick director David Yates sucked that he has such a big " in" with JK Rowling (and Warner Bros), that he directed half the Potter films and is a shoo-in to direct all 5 Fantastic Beasts.

Potter films would have benefited from having a wider variety of actors, even though woodblocks Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe (at the time) probably took direction better from familiarity.

It's cool that even though Fantastic Beasts is not a hugely lucrative franchise, all 5 films WILL get made, even if some films in the series underperform at the BO.

by Anonymousreply 155November 20, 2018 10:34 PM

*wider variety of DIRECTORS on Potter films.

Alfonso Cuaron was cool.

by Anonymousreply 156November 20, 2018 10:45 PM

I thought the movie was very confusing, but I liked it. Jude Law was wonderful it it.

by Anonymousreply 157November 21, 2018 2:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!