Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Creepiest Documentaries

What are some of your favourites?

by Anonymousreply 141May 31, 2021 5:32 AM

"The Life and Times of OP"

by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2017 4:53 AM

Capturing the Friedmans, The Smiley Face Killers, Grizzly Man

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2017 5:00 AM

Dear Zachary. It’s heartbreaking ultimately, but to hear this self-pitying evil woman whine on the phone to the parents of the man she killed was chilling.

by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2017 5:18 AM

“Whole” is about people with Body Integrity Dysmorphic Disorder. They feel one or more of their limbs is extraneous and shouldn’t be there. Some have went as far as amputation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2017 5:29 AM

"The Unknown Known" by Errol Morris. It's the doc where he interviews Donald Rumsfeld. Truly creepy that these psychopaths rule over us. "The Fog of War," where he interviews Robert McNamara, is the better film—though less creepy.

by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2017 3:08 AM

Even creepier than the doc. Why did Jarecki omit these facts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2017 3:11 AM

"Playboy Playmate Murder Case - Dorothy Stratten Documentary Film" - 1990

Starring 20-year-old Dorothy Stratten, Hugh Hefner, John Ritter, and Peter Bogdanovich as her lover.

Broadcast: "The E! True Hollywood Story"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2017 3:17 AM

R7, better still is "Star 80," the 1983 film adaptation of Teresa Carpenter's Pulitzer Prize-winning Village Voice expose "Death of A Playmate." This version starred Eric Roberts as Paul Snyder and Mariel Hemingway as Dorothy Stratton, directed by Bob Fosse. Find and read the original article as well.

This should have been Robert's oscar.

by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2017 3:41 AM

R4 Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2017 4:05 AM

CRAZY LOVE (2007) A loser lawyer stalks a beautiful girl he went on one date with in the 1950s, finally throwing acid in her face when she rejects him. (The ending is even more shocking than THAT!) Both are interviewed extensively.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2017 4:29 AM

Going Clear One of Us Jinx The Bridge

by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2017 4:42 AM

Cropsy

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2017 9:17 AM

Tall Hot Blond, a true and horrible Catfish story.

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2017 9:22 AM

The Imposter

by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2017 9:46 AM

Grey Gardens. The filth jumps right out at ya!

by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2017 10:02 AM

I agree with R2 Capturing the Friedmans, so many creepy elements including the son who is a clown just very disturbing. Also worth mention is Tarnation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2017 11:15 AM

THE ACT OF KILLING

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2017 12:56 PM

I have to go & dig up the 9-11 documentary on YT that pretty much debunks the bullshit story the world was told...

Be back when I find it...

by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2017 1:16 PM

9-11 Anatomy of a Great Deception

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 17, 2017 1:25 PM

"Somethings Wrong with Aunt Diane" and "Tickled" are two I think about all the time.

"Aunt Diane" is a slow building dread, and "Tickled" is bizarre from jump.

by Anonymousreply 20November 17, 2017 1:58 PM

Somethings wrong with Aunt Diana is very creepy.

by Anonymousreply 21November 17, 2017 2:11 PM

This is by far the creepiest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 18, 2017 6:27 PM

R15 (otherwise known as the indefatigable "Filth Troll"), has flounced in from her Nebraska trailer park to weigh in...

by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2017 6:43 PM

Forbidden Lie$, just for its celluloid documentation of a true sociopath working her con.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 19, 2017 4:21 PM

2007's Zoo-- about Mr. Hand and a horse.

by Anonymousreply 25November 19, 2017 5:27 PM

King corn

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2017 6:14 PM

R20 "Something's wrong with Aunt Diane" is appallingly and fascinating. That is a REALLY well done documentary. Kind of the gold standard...and in the end, still utterly mysterious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 19, 2017 6:23 PM

JUPITER'S WIFE (1995) is sad, and chilling. It really does leave you feeling kind of hopeless for some people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 19, 2017 6:30 PM

"Cropsey." The film initially begins as an examination of "Cropsey", a boogeyman-like figure from New York City urban legend, before segueing into the story of Andre Rand, a convicted child kidnapper from Staten Island.

"Grey Gardens.' The famous movie about Big Edie and Little Edie Beale, mother and daughter, aunt and cousin of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, both of them nutty as fruitcakes and content to live in self-induced squalor on their crumbling family estate.

"Groupies." A crudely shot and badly edited documentary about girls (and boys) who offer themselves sexually to rock stars. It features a young Pamela Des Barres (who seems very stoned), who later became known as "Queen of the Groupies" after fashioning a book detailing her fucking and cock sucking and the Plaster Casters, two fat groupies who made a name for themselves by making plaster casts of rock star's erections. It's hard to watch; the majority of the groupies aren't particularly attractive and it's obvious they have little in the way of intelligence and most of them are obviously fucked up on drugs. One observer had this to say: this film is an un-put-downable train wreck of 1970s excess. Tragic inclusions include a young homosexual teenager, abused, bleeding and out of his gourd, being relentlessly mocked by those around him, a woman who makes it her business to preserve plaster trophies of the male member, and two young girls in a hypersexualized bit of exhibitionism for the benefit of the camera and anyone else who happens to be around." Eww!

by Anonymousreply 29November 19, 2017 7:08 PM

Aunt Diane is fascinating and very creepy. Mommy Dead and Dearest is also creepy, fascinating and weird.

The Woman Who Wasn’t There too.

by Anonymousreply 30November 19, 2017 7:14 PM

HOLY HELL (2016)....about life inside a sexually abusive cult.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2017 5:04 AM

"A Certain Kind Of Death" (2003)- About Dataloungers who die alone with no one to claim them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2017 7:01 AM

DREAM OF A LIFE (2011)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2017 7:11 AM

R33 Sorry...correct title is "DREAMS of a Life"

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2017 7:14 AM

Child Of Rage

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 21, 2017 10:11 AM

I watched The Bridge about a year ago. Nothing -- nothing -- has haunted me as much as that documentary. The images are burned in my brain and I wish I could go back and un-watch it.

The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes is more avant-garde than documentary, but still somewhat creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2017 10:21 AM

A certain kind of death is more sad than creepy. I believe there's a gay guy they find dead and are rummaging through all his old stuff. He has tons of older gay stuff like flyers and magazines from back in the day. Lover died of AIDS, but he seemed to have all his affairs in order. I believe this is the doc where they are mass burying all the ashes of "unclaimed" people near the end.

by Anonymousreply 37November 21, 2017 10:47 AM

Oh, this one bothered me for weeks! Her voice !!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2017 10:50 AM

^ Deleted by YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2017 10:59 AM

Here you go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 21, 2017 11:10 AM

Ho,y shit r29, that Groupie DocuSign (avail on YouTube) is far out lol

Everyone is ridiculously stoned

by Anonymousreply 41November 21, 2017 7:48 PM

R40s is great: Mommy Dead and Dearest, The story about a mother who uses and trains her daughter to fake illness for financial gain and attention. Mommy gets killed.

by Anonymousreply 42November 21, 2017 8:02 PM

A Film Unfinished... the most depressing Doc on the Holocaust. I have ever seen...my heartbreaks just thinking about it. I wish I can unsee it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 21, 2017 8:09 PM

A child of rage is chilling. Anything on mechaphilia.

by Anonymousreply 44November 21, 2017 8:09 PM

Little Gypsy Rose Blanchard is on Dr. Phil today (that was inevitable, wasn't it?). I'm not going to watch it because I don't think I could stomach Dr. Phil kissing her ass, which is certain to do. She was a helpless "victim", you know. No doubt she will reiterate in her retarded little girl voice about how she was abused by her mean old mother and how she only did what she did out of desperation and besides it was really all my boyfriend's fault! The makeup artists have done their best to make her look attractive (she's sporting a long, luxurious mane of black hair) but she's still homely as a bucket of toads and her voice still makes you want to stick knitting needles in your ears to blot out the sound. Her erstwhile boyfriend with the 84 I. Q. is scheduled to go on trial this month. Hopefully his lawyer will make it clear that the idea for the murder was ALL little Gypsy's idea and that she planned the whole thing, not her dumb as a rock boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 45November 21, 2017 8:16 PM

R44 like the one about the lady who married the Eiffel Tower?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 21, 2017 8:18 PM

[R45] , They let her out of prison to do Dr Phil? And it aired today?

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2017 1:00 AM

"Interview with a Cannibal" is about a German who ate his lover.

by Anonymousreply 48November 22, 2017 1:11 AM

"Fat Girls and Feeders" is disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 49November 22, 2017 1:14 AM

"They let her out of prison to do Dr Phil? And it aired today?"

I think the interview took place IN the prison. And it did air today. Did anybody watch? Like I said, I don't think I could have stomached good ol' Dr. Phil slopping over with sympathy for her.

by Anonymousreply 50November 22, 2017 1:20 AM

Thanks to this thread, I downloaded Aunt Diane and am going to watch it. So many of the others sound too depressing, but this is a great thread!

by Anonymousreply 51November 22, 2017 1:33 AM

Oh gurrrrrl, Gypsy Rose done looks like a prison hootch on Dr. Phil!

by Anonymousreply 52November 22, 2017 1:40 AM

I'm not sure "creepy" is the best descriptor, but Touching the Void was a total horror show for me. It's about two British mountain climbers who do the Andes. The one guy breaks his leg when they summit, and his partner tries to save him. He eventually is forced to leave him for dead. And that's just the beginning.....it is an UNREAL story, must be watched.

by Anonymousreply 53November 22, 2017 1:52 AM

I don't really consider documentaries like "There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane" and "Mommy Dead and Dearest" and "Dear Zachary: A Letter To A Son About His Father" especially "creepy." They're just documentaries about VERY horrible people (Diane Schuler, Dee Dee and Gypsy Blanchard, Shirley Turner).

There's a PBS documentary about Jonestown that I found creepy: "Jonestown: the life and death of the People's Temple." Of course it does feature a horrible person (the vile preacher Jim Jones) but what makes it creepy is how the members of his "People's Temple" followed this megalomaniac sociopath. They called him "Father" and "Dad" and gave up all their worldly possessions and left the country to go live in a jungle hellhole because that's what "Father" commanded them to do. Even after all these years, this story is still incredible and unbelievable and stunningly horrific. The ending of the documentary is particularly haunting. A survivor said he never dreamed of Jonestown, except for once. It was a dream about his son and it chilled me at the bone. Then ascthe camera pans over survivors, it's revealed who they lost during the mass murder/suicides at Jonestown as eerie music plays. Oh my, did it ever creep me out.

by Anonymousreply 54November 22, 2017 1:53 AM

r54

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 22, 2017 2:00 AM

Conspiracy of Silence - Full Banned Documentary (1994)

Conspiracy of Silence is a powerful, disturbing documentary revealing a U.S. child sex abuse and pedophilia ring that leads to the highest levels of government. Featuring intrepid investigator John DeCamp, a highly decorated Vietnam war veteran and 16-year Nebraska state senator, Conspiracy of Silence reveals how rogue elements at all levels of government have been involved in systematic child sex abuse and pedophilia to feed the base desires of key politicians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 22, 2017 2:02 AM

Retired HEAD OF FBI Tells ALL "Illuminati, Satanism, Pedophile Rings"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 22, 2017 2:03 AM

I really enjoyed "Room 237, an oddball brain exercise about Kubrick's "The Shining", especially where the part they break down the impossible interior layout of the hotel and the surrealist dream state feeling it produced in the movie. I don't really know what it was trying to be -- a documentary about what influenced him, a virtual Kubrick cryptographic decoder ring? -- but still found it to be a fascinating documentary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 22, 2017 2:05 AM

Fiona Barnett, "Satanic Pedophile Network Exposed"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 22, 2017 2:05 AM

What "Eyes Wide Shut" Is Saying

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 22, 2017 2:07 AM

The Khazarian Conspiracy - The Synagogue of Satan - Full Movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 22, 2017 2:08 AM

60 Minutes on the UK Gov. Pedophile Ring Network

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 22, 2017 2:14 AM

There have never been more tinhat loons here. This thread is a perfect example. Illuminati???? Let me guess.....you despise Hillary with a passion and like the job Trump is doing, yes? And you think 9-11 was orchestrated by the CIA, right? Just WOW. Get an education, preferably in the liberal arts and history. We REALLY need to improve public education. Sooooooooooo mother fucking ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 63November 22, 2017 2:14 AM

A NOBLE LIE - OKLAHOMA CITY BOMBING 1995 DOCUMENTARY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 22, 2017 2:17 AM

The Notorious Banned FOX 9-11-2001 News Footage Israeli/Mossad Links

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 22, 2017 2:18 AM

Strange Temple on Jeffery Epstein's Orgy Island

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 22, 2017 2:26 AM

Was that Nobby thing a documentary. It looked real to me, the previews I saw. Hideous.

by Anonymousreply 67November 22, 2017 2:29 AM

I Survived BTK creeped me out.

by Anonymousreply 68November 22, 2017 2:34 AM

SANDY HOOK HOAX IN 6 MINUTES

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 22, 2017 2:35 AM

Some of the Worst Crisis Actors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 22, 2017 2:38 AM

One of my favorite documentaries is about the Source Family. It follows the narrative of many cults; man starts a cult, man uses his women followers for sex, authorities try to shut down the cult, man realizes he's not actually a God, the end. This one takes place in hippie Los Angeles. The leader was WWII vet, early health food advocate, and probably killed a man and robbed a bank. And unlike other cults, not all followers ends up broken in the end, some people went on to be really successful. I'm not doing it justice, though. It was on Netlifx Canada but was removed, it may still be on American Netflix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 22, 2017 2:52 AM

[quote]Child Of Rage

This might make you feel better, R35. There's a tragedy ahead but not involving the one you might suspect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 22, 2017 3:34 AM

Theodore Gunderson, the lecturer in #57's link, is believed to have died from arsenic poisoning in 2011:

"In 2008, Gunderson stated that he had tested positive for arsenic and cyanide poisoning. Gunderson's associate, Dr. Edward Lucidi, treated Gunderson and stated that his fingers were turning black, a characteristic symptom of arsenic poisoning. On July 31, 2011 Gunderson's son reported that his father had died from cancer of the bladder, which has been linked to arsenic poisoning in some studies."

by Anonymousreply 73November 22, 2017 5:03 AM

Newtown is absolutely heartwrenching. Kind of like Dear Zachary - hard to watch.

And anything Jonestown creeps me out completely.

by Anonymousreply 74November 22, 2017 1:37 PM

What was the name of the documentary about twin sisters that were hit multiple times in traffic but kept getting up and running and acting crazy. Very crazy!

by Anonymousreply 75November 22, 2017 2:15 PM

The Keepers about the pedophile priest and dead nun in Baltimore

by Anonymousreply 76November 22, 2017 2:49 PM

"An Intractable Case" was creepy to some, but I found it liberating.

by Anonymousreply 77November 23, 2017 3:46 AM

The Life and Times Of Junior Samples, in smell-o-vision.

by Anonymousreply 78November 23, 2017 7:42 AM

"My Cooch ALSO Has A Price-Tag" on the life of Minnie Pearl. What a cunt!

by Anonymousreply 79November 23, 2017 9:26 AM

Five Foot Two

by Anonymousreply 80November 23, 2017 10:40 AM

I watched there's something wrong with aunt Diane last night after reading this thread. There's something wrong with Diane's husband and sister in law too. Diane was high as a kite and pissed as a newt when she killed 7 people . They think she had a tooth abcess. Wtf!

by Anonymousreply 81November 23, 2017 6:01 PM

The HIstory Channel documentaries Third Reich: The Rise and Third Reich: The Fall. Scary as hell....

by Anonymousreply 82November 23, 2017 6:12 PM

Yeah, the retarded husband and sister in law in "There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane" thought she got blotto drunk and high on pot because she was out of her head due to a medical emergency like a toothache. Or a stroke. Or a seizure. Or a heart attack. Or a bad headache. Or diabetes. Or a cyst on her leg. Anything to absolve her of all blame for killing seven people, including four children.

I didn't like that documentary. It seemed to me the filmmakers were sympathetic to Diana Schuler (who deserved no sympathy at all) and were trying to find explanations for her behavior, as if any explanations were needed. She was pissed and angry at her doofus husband, who went off with the dog and left her with five children to transport and take care of. Stressed out, she decided to take the edge off with a few (actually more than a few) shots of vodka and orange juice and some weed. She'd surely driven drunk and high before; she was such a control freak and so used to being the one in charge (she was the breadwinner in her household and was completely responsible for the care of the children) that she was no doubt convinced she could handle driving while fucked up without any consequences.

by Anonymousreply 83November 23, 2017 6:18 PM

The picture of dead Diane is great though, huh? That surprised the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 84November 23, 2017 6:22 PM

What's with the gays and Aunt Diane, it's always a fan favorite on here. Is it the fat frau aspect?

by Anonymousreply 85November 23, 2017 7:13 PM

Anything by Herzog.

by Anonymousreply 86November 23, 2017 7:36 PM

R81 The husband doesn't want to admit he knew Diane was driving impaired, or he'd be sued. So for him it's all, "She had a DRINK? MY wife?? PREPOSTEROUS!!!"

by Anonymousreply 87November 23, 2017 7:38 PM

Grizzly Man

by Anonymousreply 88November 23, 2017 7:43 PM

Urgh! I cannot recall the title of the documentary of Tennessee teens who were accused of murdering four young boys. As a result of their erroneous convictions, they'd spent nearly their entire lives in prison for a crime they did not commit.

Horrifying -

by Anonymousreply 89November 23, 2017 7:47 PM

[quote]Groupies [...]tragic inclusions include a young homosexual teenager...

Funny I only watched that last week. The young guy is called Chaz and he is heartbreakingly fucked up , in love with the English rocker singer Terry Reid. The people's apartments are disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 90November 23, 2017 7:57 PM

r89 Are you talking about the West Memphis 3?

by Anonymousreply 91November 23, 2017 8:22 PM

R91 - Yes, that's it.

Terrifying documentary -

by Anonymousreply 92November 23, 2017 8:26 PM

The weird Swedish twins documentary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 23, 2017 8:39 PM

"The husband doesn't want to admit he knew Diane was driving impaired, or he'd be sued. So for him it's all, "She had a DRINK? MY wife?? PREPOSTEROUS!!!"

I don't think Danny Schuler uses words like "preposterous." I think he probably said something like "She had a DRINK? MY wife? Dat's really fucked up! She din't do NUTHIN' like dat!"

by Anonymousreply 94November 23, 2017 9:30 PM

Slightly OT, but the original L&O did a really great episode based on the Taconic Parkway case back in the time Jerry Ohrbach and Jesse Green were the detectives. Of course, they gave it a sympathetic fictional backstory -- the Dianne character's drink had been spiked with alcohol and her asthma inhaler with Fentanyl by a co-worker who thought she was going to cause him to lose millions of dollars but tried to call 911 too late when he found out she had kids in the SUV. But in many ways it otherwise struck closely to the real case and was really well done. /OT

by Anonymousreply 95November 23, 2017 9:58 PM

[quote]the Dianne character's drink had been spiked with alcohol and her asthma inhaler with Fentanyl by a co-worker who thought she was going to cause him to lose millions of dollars

Yeah, tha's how i ended up in this fuckin' place

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 23, 2017 10:06 PM

"The Woman Who Wasn't There" (2012)

Alicia Esteve Head is a Spanish woman who claimed to be a survivor of the attacks on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, under the name Tania Head. She rose to "mini-celebrity status" with her vivid description of crawling through smoke and flames on the 78th floor of the South Tower (WTC 2). In 2007, it was revealed her story was a hoax. Head was not in New York on September 11, 2001; she was attending classes in Barcelona.

Head claimed a degree from Harvard University and a graduate business degree from Stanford University, but those institutions had no record of her. Head claimed she had been working at Merrill Lynch in the World Trade Center, but Merrill Lynch had no record of her employment.

After Head's fraud was exposed, she declined all further interviews and abruptly left New York. In February 2008, an anonymous email was sent from a Spanish account to members of the World Trade Center Survivors Network, claiming that Head had committed suicide. However, Head was sighted with her mother in New York City on September 14, 2011 (three years after her "suicide").

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 26, 2017 3:52 AM

r92 Those West Memphis 3 were guilty, just like Amanda Knox was guilty. The documentary was revisionist, probably made by fellow Satanists.

by Anonymousreply 98November 26, 2017 3:57 AM

I'm watching the Tickling documentary right now on 123movies dot is and what an incredible story! I thought you might want to see the 11 minute addendum to the documentary I found on Youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 26, 2017 4:12 AM

Sometimes I wonder about The West Memphis3.. But they explained about the creepy father of one of the kids probably did it. The "mutilation was explained due to turtles and such nipping at the body. The guys were also living in a hysterical town and they were the "weirdos".. Still though I wonder..

by Anonymousreply 100November 26, 2017 4:16 AM

r100 why do you think Johnny Depp got involved? He was defending his fellow Satanists, just like the documentarians.

by Anonymousreply 101November 26, 2017 4:19 AM

The way they got off was odd too. They had to plead guilty...

by Anonymousreply 102November 26, 2017 4:23 AM

Not creepy, but sad and utterly depressing: The Cove and Blackfish...

by Anonymousreply 103November 26, 2017 4:27 AM

Yes, Somethings the Matter w Aunt Diane, was creepy. First the title (taken from one child passenger's cellphone call). Then the events of the day, and the chilling realization that this woman, who hid her alcoholism successfully for years, deliberately chose to commit suicide and multiple murder, rather than be found out by her relatives to be an alcoholic.

That doco still creeps me out years after I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 104November 26, 2017 4:39 AM

The Imposter was good. A man from Spain pretends to be an American boy who went missing years earlier. He is "reunited" with the missing boy's family, and things get weird. I always thought it would make an amazing thriller.

by Anonymousreply 105November 26, 2017 5:18 AM

I LOVE The Imposter and also have to agree with Tickled - that doc is really cool and crazy, but can't really be described without ruining the whole story.

by Anonymousreply 106November 26, 2017 5:31 AM

Here is a link (which includes other excellent linked articles.) It's about notorious VERNON FLORIDA, a 1981 Errol Morris film, which has a creepier backstory than his documentary can paint. (He got death threats and was beaten up when initially pursuing the insurance scam story for his film so he switched gears and storyline.) But if you know the 'Nub City' backstory before you watch VERNON FLORIDA it just makes the whole town's denizens more than simply quirky or eccentric.

Back in the last mid-century people began hacking off healthy limbs to scam insurance companies who'd recently sold them policies. Some hacked off multiple limbs. Removing an opposing arm and/or hand and leg was a good choice because you could still use one crutch. It was a relatively short-lived scam but lucrative for many in the long term.

The film is available on Netflix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 26, 2017 5:53 AM

Is Nub City an actual documentary? I can't find it anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 108November 26, 2017 6:56 PM

I second “Tickled” and “TlHtBlnd”

by Anonymousreply 109November 26, 2017 7:08 PM

“Dreams of a Life” about a woman who died alone in her London apartment and was not discovered for more than 2 years. It really speaks to the superficiality of modern urban relationships, and shows the way people slide in out & away from each other’s lives, and how one may never know what happened to someone you “knew” for a while. The loneliness of the woman’s death is quite creepy, from my perspective as a spinster hag in a one bedroom city apartment. Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 110November 26, 2017 7:44 PM

R108 Nub City is what that town was called. If you Google that or Vernon Florida you'll pull up newspaper reports about that insurance scam. Did you go to the site I linked? If not please go there it will provide links and a lot of information about the scams, in addition to that video of the fight at the town meeting.

In my post I explained that VERNON FLORIDA was the 1981 documentary by Errol Morris. He started out to tell the story about the scammers but was beaten and threatened by the locals so he took the documentary in a different but related and creepy direction. As I said, VERNON FLORIDA is available on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 111November 27, 2017 4:35 AM

Was that the Vincent case, R110?

I think it's one of the stories in this article, which includes the unbelievable circumstances of a Croatian woman who sat stone dead in front of her TV-for 42 years! Of course, one of the featured here happened in Florida.

I couldn't get through the "Smiley Face" doc..the film maker going on about himself and all the "man on the street" BS-too much chaff. A good documentary should be somber and to-the-point. The doc about the Schuler woman was well done, but in the end it told me nothing I didn't know-the woman was a well-drilled closet drinker and had her friends and family completely taken in. I think the only thing that gives any traction to the alternative reality of her husband and SIL was the wild ride to oblivion going the wrong way on the road. I can't say that I blame them, though, given the scope of the tragedy. What a thing to have to live with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 27, 2017 2:08 PM

VOYEUR on Netflix featuring Gay Talese and his subject, the voyeur. Fascinating exploration of journalism, the voyeur and the viewed, etc. Creepy as hell. I didn't see it mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 113December 9, 2017 2:44 AM

"Blood in The Face". A Deplorable love story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114December 9, 2017 3:06 AM

"Licensed To Kill". Serial killers of gay men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115December 9, 2017 3:07 AM

I just watched Voyeur today. It wasn't nearly as good as I'd hoped (or was lead to believe it'd be by its description). The "twist" was underwhelming, to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 116December 9, 2017 4:25 AM

R43, I watched A FILM UNFINISHED last night on Amazon. My god, so much hopelessness and suffering. These images are going to be with me for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 117December 9, 2017 4:27 PM

Anyone see 32 PILLS: MY SISTER'S SUICIDE on HBO? Very interesting material but the narrator, who seems to be as narcissistic and personality disordered as her sister, really grated on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 118December 9, 2017 4:43 PM

Watching now R118! 30 minutes in. Her husband is odd. She is your typical neurotic and eccentric lady right out of Woody Allen film. So far, based on what I have seen, the sister sounds schizophrenic and possibly psychotic.

by Anonymousreply 119December 9, 2017 8:40 PM

R113, R116, the book is better, the documentary really doesn't add anything new.

by Anonymousreply 120December 9, 2017 8:53 PM

Thanks to everyone on this thread who commented on There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane. I just watched it. What a well constructed and accomplished documentary. I respect the opinion of the poster upthread who thought that the filmmakers were overly sympathetic to Diane, but I see it differently.

A great documentarian disappears like a fly on the wall to let the subjects of the film come forward and show us who they are and where they are coming from. They accomplished that very well. By the end I felt I knew those people, warts and all. Ultimately, it isn't really about Diane but what she left them to resolve. It remains a very sad scenario, as it is hard to imagine Dan getting beyond his frame of reference though I hope he can do so eventually. I hope Brian is still in therapy; I'll wager Aunt Jay is seeing to that.

by Anonymousreply 121December 12, 2017 11:41 PM

I absolutely love this one "I Think We're Alone Now" about two creepy stalkers of the 80s singer Tiffany. It's disturbing, sad and funny. At one point one of them says something like "it's easy having a romance, but making the woman go along with it is the hard part".

One of them has since switched his stalking to Alyssa Milano and the other has a creepy facebook page where they claim to be married (to an obviously fake person) and posts random pictures of women in sexy outfits claiming that's what she wears to work.

Here's the trailer, but the whole thing is on youtube as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 13, 2017 1:21 AM

I just watched Tickled. That is some fucked up nasty corrupt shit. It made it more potent after watching the postscript that R99 posted. Thanks R99 and everyone who gave thumbs up to this documentary.

by Anonymousreply 123December 13, 2017 2:09 AM

r121 Don't know if you know this but the parents of the kids she killed had another baby a few years ago I think. Replacement baby of course and I don't blame them. Just like the Krims (of Stabbin' Nanny fame) also recently had another.

by Anonymousreply 124December 13, 2017 2:35 AM

I remember in the mid 2000s VH1 did some kind of documentary series on people who were obsessed with dead celebrities and musicians. It was quite creepy.

by Anonymousreply 125December 13, 2017 2:42 AM

R122 The crazy tranny also now claims to be an A list celebrity being stalked. It's actually quite sad.

by Anonymousreply 126December 13, 2017 8:37 PM

How do you treat people like this? CBT?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127December 13, 2017 8:39 PM

Anything Crumb related.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128December 13, 2017 8:48 PM

The one about the French lady locked in an attic for 25 years was pretty vomtastic.

by Anonymousreply 129December 13, 2017 9:35 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130December 13, 2017 10:32 PM

I watched Holy Hell on Netflix. Talk about a disturbing Cult. Sickening.

Holy Hell, 2017

When 22-year-old Will Allen was kicked out of his house for being gay, he found solace temporarily in the Buddhafield cult. He eventually left and deprogrammed, but lucky for us, Allen is a filmmaker who compiled hours of footage he shot while living with the Buddhafield cultists into a documentary film for CNN. That film, Holy Hell, is available on Netflix, and it’s a sensitive (yet disturbing) look at how cults never appear sinister right away. In fact, Allen benefitted in quite a few ways from joining Buddhafield, though he almost paid with his independence.

by Anonymousreply 131December 13, 2017 10:34 PM

TWA Flight 800. EXCELLENT. Absolutely fascinating.

It's about the 1996 flight from NY to Paris that exploded minutes after takeoff and the massive coverup that followed. Call me naive, but watching this and then doing hours of reading about it afterward, this was the first time I realized how corrupt our government can be.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, and this is not a conspiracy-theory movie. It was made by a then-physics student who watched the "reenactment" of the explosion that the CIA aired on primetime to push their "mechanical malfunction" agenda and he knew that what they were saying happened was scientifically impossible, so he spent his own time and money to figure out why.

Sooooo good.

by Anonymousreply 132December 13, 2017 11:00 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 14, 2017 2:44 AM

by Anonymousreply 134January 13, 2018 12:05 AM

[quote]The Imposter was good. A man from Spain pretends to be an American boy who went missing years earlier. He is "reunited" with the missing boy's family, and things get weird. I always thought it would make an amazing thriller.

Sounds like the second series of The MISSNG on STARZ. The wife knew the missing girl who returned wasn't their real daughter.

by Anonymousreply 135January 13, 2018 1:13 AM

CROPSY was creepy.

The HBO documentary about Slender Man was boring, the director obviously didn't have much access to the young girls who tried to murder/sacrifice their friend to Slender Man.

The parents of the would-be murderers sounded ignorant. One parent, a woman, sounded as if she was on some sort of drug, she went on about her daughter always being "different" and how she allowed the daughter to do what she wanted. It was clear the parents had no idea what their daughters got up to online.

by Anonymousreply 136January 13, 2018 1:25 AM

i did not know there was a documentary about Maggie, Jupiters Wife.. thank you so much for bringing it to my attention.

i had the pleasure of knowing her when she went to texas for a while, she was the fun crazy gal of Montrose, the gay artsy neighborhood in Houston of the mid 70s...

she stayed in our attic for a while, but my bf freaked out as she preferred not to bathe, so she wandered here and there, her best buddy was an alcoholic lady named Geraldine, equally 'special'...she could spin the most marverlous yarns, and alwys seemed so very happy....she had a knack for attracting people who wanted to care for her, be sure she was ok.

glad she is safely in her apt now with her menagerie of dogs ...and not trying to make it thru the ruff winters of Central Park. hope u can someday be reunited with justin and michael, your kids. whom u so loved.

she brought endless magic to those of us her knew her. my friends of that time will be thrilled to know such a movie exists, we always wondered what happend to jupiters wife, Magic Maggie, our own little fallen angel.

BIG LOVE TO YOU MAGGIE

by Anonymousreply 137January 13, 2018 5:08 AM

I also viewed that Jupiter's Wife, really enjoyed it. I remember seeing people like that in Central park and wondered what happend to make them that way, and if the survived.

Glad she did.

by Anonymousreply 138January 14, 2018 2:52 AM

Maggie Cogan, [italic] Jupiter's Wife. [/italic]

It's interesting she has her cat with her at work...as in the later documentary she's begun adopting hordes of dogs. Clearly she has issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139January 14, 2018 8:34 AM

by Anonymousreply 140January 17, 2018 6:20 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 141May 31, 2021 5:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!