Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

68-Year-Old Actor Richard Gere Blames China Conspiracy For His No Longer Being A Leading Man

Honestly, I hadn't really noticed he had kinda disappeared. He's never been large on my radar.

Thank god he's got the kajillions to now pursue the small, brave important films he is so passionate about.

Um, okay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 12, 2018 11:25 PM

He could still tap this .

by Anonymousreply 1November 15, 2017 2:22 AM

facelift and hair color , he would be back in the game

by Anonymousreply 2November 15, 2017 2:26 AM

I thought it was that story of the gerbil in his butt.

by Anonymousreply 3November 15, 2017 2:38 AM

Especially the hair, r2. Au natural is great, and white hair suits Gere, but we're talking about suspending one's disbelief in his audience.

by Anonymousreply 4November 15, 2017 2:40 AM

I love his hair.

by Anonymousreply 5November 15, 2017 2:44 AM

He looks like a soft butch lesbian named Carol. That could be why.

by Anonymousreply 6November 15, 2017 2:45 AM

China is not the ONLY reason--

When you make your living off your looks, there's a shelf life

Ask any woman who does the same.

by Anonymousreply 7November 15, 2017 3:34 AM

Or just that actors have a shelf life, period, r7. Gere still looks good but he's pushing 70. Hollywood is all about youth now - the roles that used to go to people in their mid-thirties/early 40s now go to people in their early-to-mid-twenties. By the time anyone is 70, their leading man days are over anyway.

I mean, it's still possible that China is part of the reason - we know for a fact that more than one actor of color has lost a lead because China wasn't down with it - but still, Gere is pushing it a bit here.

by Anonymousreply 8November 15, 2017 5:10 AM

I blame the russians

by Anonymousreply 9November 15, 2017 5:13 AM

He has a nice head of hair for a man his age, but his glasses make him look too much like a handsome older woman.

by Anonymousreply 10November 15, 2017 5:14 AM

Nice shirt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 15, 2017 5:16 AM

That was not as absurd as I was expecting.

by Anonymousreply 12November 15, 2017 5:28 AM

Is he still kissing Dalai Lama's feet? That might be the reason.

by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2017 5:54 AM

Why do people keep bringing up his age? He’s talking about 30 some odd years ago when he had the potential to be a Hollywood leading man, not today.

by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2017 12:48 PM

Men have a hard time accepting their expiration date.

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2017 12:57 PM

Expiration date? Men like Harrison Ford, Warren Beatty, Sean Connery, Jack Nicholson, Tom Cruise, etc. were/are being cast in action and romantic roles long past the time they should have.

The foreign markets influence Hollywood, including the inclusion of gay characters, far more than anyone will admit.

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2017 3:06 PM

Isnt it a given that the american market is the least of hollywoods concerns these days? Its ALL about the foreign market now,thats where they make their real money.

by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2017 3:32 PM

Guy can act, don’t understand why he can’t get any role.

by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2017 3:37 PM

Three strikes - 1) China payback 2) Fewer Hollywood films, less potential roles 3) Getting older and doesn't want older guy roles. You're out.

Even Will Smith is going to Netflix. Give 'em a call Richard.

by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2017 5:18 PM

Well, R19 put it more shortly and succinctly than I did. I managed to write an entire blog post about this (won't post a link to it, sorry).

I've never thought Richard Gere to be a good actor, and one of his worst films was Red Corner. Who ever storied, wrote, and pitched that film, should not work in the storytelling business. Maybe he jumped the shark with it.

In his younger years, Gere relied on his looks. He still looks good pushing 70, and it seems, he's still in demand. Let's hope he won't do any plastic surgery.

btw, the Chinese do have long memories.

So Gere would have to concentrate on films that would not seek the Chinese market in the first place, but would do well outside the mainland anyway.

Shows run on Netflix is one chance, as major tv does not necessarily have to pander to moviegoers' (and the censors') tastes.

The question with Netflix is about the extent of territories that a studio would be willing to allow its content to be restricted to; such as: "We want to do this great television, and it does not matter, if China does not like it!"

Also, white male actors of a certain age now simply have a more 'level', or rather, a less unequal playing field.

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2017 5:24 PM

[R20] the guy who wrote RED CORNER created and writes THE GOOD WIFE (along with his real life wife).

by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2017 5:33 PM

Is that writer you, R21?

I once saw "Red Corner", but hated Richard Gere's acting, and also that the script made him act like a buffoon in the Chinese courtroom. Awful-awful. I truly hope, that this twitching was not based on real-life events.

by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2017 5:39 PM

I sat next to him on a flight from Milano to NYC years ago where everybody was told to remain in their sets so Gere could exit the planet first.

Insufferable. .

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2017 9:14 PM

“Expiration date? Men like Harrison Ford, Warren Beatty, Sean Connery, Jack Nicholson, Tom Cruise, etc. were/are being cast in action and romantic roles long past the time they should have.”

The operative word being WERE. This nonsense doesn’t quite fly how it used to.

by Anonymousreply 24November 16, 2017 1:23 AM

It's called getting old Richard.

by Anonymousreply 25November 16, 2017 1:32 AM

Who ever gave a shit about Richard Gere? He’s just so bland. So dry. So blah. He’s like a house plant with silver hair. He arouses no feelings at all. Nobody could ever find themself going to see a movie cause Richard Gere is in it.

by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2017 1:47 AM

This is bullshit. its his ego speaking. he would die for another blockbuster problem is. he is NO HARRISON FORD or any other older actor who actually acted. he was a hottie. a sex symbol and now he is no longe r hot. he always took roles that displayed his hottness. so done . he is done. accept it. move it.

by Anonymousreply 27November 16, 2017 1:57 AM

C’mon R16, there’s no “are” about it. Sean Connery is retired and has barely been in any movies since League of Extraordinary Men about 12 years ago. Outside of this year’s bomb, Warren Beatty hadn’t been in a movie since Town & Country, which was about a decade ago. Harrison Ford was downgraded to supporting cast at least five years ago (He play second or third banana in Morning Glory, Anchorman II, and Age of Adelaide — or whatever that was). He had a bit of a resurgence with nostalgic reboots in Star Wars and Blade Runner, but even then, he’s not the lead. Jack Nicholson’s been retired for awhile now, too. That leaves the mess that is Tom Cruise, who is trying to be relevant.

These men have gotten older and the movie industry has changed. It’s all cartoons, comic book superhero movies, and vulgar comedies. There’s little room for all of the leading men of the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2017 2:45 AM

He's so over, even Kevin Spacey won't take his calls

by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2017 2:48 AM

Jack Nicholson only retired from chick flicks because of dementia.

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2017 2:49 AM

What the hell happened to his face? He used to be one of the most beautiful men alive. Even Paul Newman retained some semblance of his hotness into his 70s.

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2017 3:04 AM

Don’t call us Richard, we’ll call you.

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2017 3:37 AM

The movie industry is imploding much the same way the music industry did 10 years ago. There are no more good movies except the four or five they force down our throats between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Everything else is really shit. Remember the 90s when interesting independent films were the thing? People taking risks on character and story. Now what? Its blander than bland. This is the new Golden Age of Television. Why am I paying $18 to see some movie star for 3 hours one time, when I could pay about .50 to see them in the comfort of my own home as many times as I want on some interesting show?

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2017 3:54 AM

I blame shit films.

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2017 6:16 AM

[quote]everybody was told to remain in their sets so Gere could exit the planet

Ha!

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2017 7:15 AM

Why do goddamn idiots still bring up the ridiculous gerbil story?

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2017 7:23 AM

I believe him about China.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2017 7:27 AM

I like his films, especially the two with Diane Lane ("Unfaithful" and "Nights in Rodanthe"), but also "American Gigolo," "Shall We Dance?," and whenever he plays a cop.

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2017 7:33 AM

He hasn't lost his sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2017 12:07 PM

She has always been an annoying homosexual

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2017 12:26 PM

It was pretty surprising when he was the ONLY person in the main cast of CHICAGO who didn't snag an Oscar nomination. Many thought he would.

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2017 12:41 PM

Well, many thought that Richard would do what it takes to get a Oscar nomination - wink, wink.

Can't give more details now, have a lawyer looking over my shoulder now.

by Anonymousreply 42November 16, 2017 1:35 PM

>He’s talking about 30 some odd years ago when he had the potential to be a Hollywood leading man

30 years ago he WAS a Hollywood leading man. He made some bad bets when choosing scripts, and younger sex symbols came along. It happens. He's done better than Dennis Quaid, but not as good as Harrison Ford. Hollywood careers are unremarkable.

by Anonymousreply 43November 16, 2017 3:28 PM

I thought richard Gere was hot when he was young. but he always chose very safe projects and honestly he never had any edge to him or his projects. he is typical hollywood hypocrite who thinks he needs to educate everyone around him.........ZZZZzzzzz. well hello now your time is up. bye bye

by Anonymousreply 44November 18, 2017 7:32 PM

What R27 said.

by Anonymousreply 45November 18, 2017 8:21 PM

I'd still eat his ass, blow him, let him fuck me bareback, then I'd push his load out into his hand and lick it off simply because he used to be this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 18, 2017 8:33 PM

[quote]there’s no “are” about it

Yes, Tom Cruise is present tense. George Clooney hasn't been leading man material in a decade but has made one bad film after another. Daniel Craig, age 49, is still playing action hero James Bond.

Old male stars were and continue to be cast in roles for which they are inappropriate.

by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2017 11:37 AM

He needs to make a documentary to detail how China is responsible for his aging and shitty acting. Would probably win an award at Cannes.

by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2017 11:51 AM

He didn’t get a nomination for Chicago because he was awful. Horrific vocals, vanity tap sequence. Blergh.

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2017 12:19 PM

I have absolutely no love for the Yellow Despots but I always thought Gere's obsession with the Dalai Lama and Tibetan Buddhism was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2017 3:19 AM

"Gere Blames China Conspiracy"

Mr. Gere is attempting to stuff his *bull* in the China closet.

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2017 3:23 AM

Not sure why he's complaining. The guy has had a 40 year career in movies, despite being a so-so actor. Most actors would kill for his career.

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2017 3:13 PM

R52, yep.

I saw him on Rosie O'Donnell long ago; he seems like a nice guy.

But his talent is not commensurate with his good looks. Sorry, Rich.

by Anonymousreply 53January 12, 2018 6:32 PM

He is such a mediocre actor that........I think he is better in roles like "An Officer and a Gentleman" where he plays a douchebag.

In "Pretty Woman" he was so ...smirky. Of course, that film is shit.

by Anonymousreply 54January 12, 2018 6:34 PM

Richard Gere is an insufferable wanker. It's why Debra Winger cried whilst filming love-making scenes with him. She couldn't bear him.

by Anonymousreply 55January 12, 2018 6:35 PM

R50, Apparently RG was good pals with Steve Jobs. FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 56January 12, 2018 6:36 PM

Looking For Mr. Goodbar? Days of Heaven?

He was embarrassing in them. But was one handsome man.

by Anonymousreply 57January 12, 2018 6:45 PM

I forgot the remake of Breathless. Really bad. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 58January 12, 2018 6:55 PM

[quote]Looking For Mr. Goodbar? Days of Heaven? He was embarrassing in them. But was one handsome man.

He was just fine in Goodbar, as it happens.

by Anonymousreply 59January 12, 2018 7:24 PM

He was wonderful in "Shall We Dance?". He should have been nominated for "Chicago", "An Officer and a Gentleman" and "Arbitrage".

by Anonymousreply 60January 12, 2018 7:31 PM

Older men and women should never wear frameless glasses.

They instantly make you look like a grandpa. Or in Gere's case, a granny.

by Anonymousreply 61January 12, 2018 9:25 PM

His acting is mediocre, much like Harrison Ford's.

by Anonymousreply 62January 12, 2018 9:50 PM

You were probably flying on Alitalia, R23. That's the kind of shit they would pull. I'd never fly them again. Horrible airline.

by Anonymousreply 63January 12, 2018 10:22 PM

R63, Alitalia probably did that so that the crew could clean up all of the gerbil poo.

by Anonymousreply 64January 12, 2018 11:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!