Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jimmy Stewart

I recently saw a double-feature of "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and "The Man Who Knew Too Much," both of which starred Jimmy Stewart. I started reading about him when I got home, only to learn he was a huge Reagan supporter and supposedly a racist.

What a disappointment!

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2019 2:48 PM

Most Hollywood actors were like that 60 years ago. It's only now it's gone very liberal. It wasn't that long ago actors like Susan Sarandon and Jane Fonda were regarded as looney anti-American weirdos by Hollywood actors like Charlton Heston!

by Anonymousreply 1November 14, 2017 1:42 AM

A lot of dead people were Reagan supporters. He, Reagan, did win two terms after all.

I can’t excuse the racism though. Though, I’d want evidence before I believe something like this.

by Anonymousreply 2November 14, 2017 1:44 AM

He was also a skinny fug who got leading roles against prime actresses like Grace Kelly who had to pretend his bony ass wasn't gross.

NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 3November 14, 2017 1:45 AM

I remember him appearing on Wogan in the late 1980s crying about his dead dog.

by Anonymousreply 4November 14, 2017 1:46 AM

I'm trying to look up where I read he was racist. The only evidence I'm finding are his father's connections to KKK & his alleged behavior towards Woody Strode during the shooting of "Liberty Valance."

by Anonymousreply 5November 14, 2017 1:49 AM

He was working on a movie filming in Spain in the 1950s. He and his wife tried to check in to the nicest hotel in town, but the clerk said:

“I’m sorry Mr. Stewart, but we don’t allow Hollywood types here.”

He took a card out of his wallet to show to the clerk, who then replied:

“Well, we certainly have a room for US Air Force Brigadier General James Stewart!”

He volunteered. No bone spurs for him.

by Anonymousreply 6November 14, 2017 1:55 AM

Many of the actors/directors from the golden age volunteered and put their careers on hold. You would never see something like that today.

by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2017 2:02 AM

R1, actually, a fair number of old Hollywood were liberal. Think Henry Fonda, Bogart, Chaplin, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2017 2:07 AM

Stewart actually served in the same division in WW2 as my uncle and came to several of the reunions. So, no bone spurs...

by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2017 2:07 AM

Did you meet him?

by Anonymousreply 10November 14, 2017 1:08 PM

He was very cute in the 1930s as MGM's new male ingenue. Check him out introducing the song Easy to Love which he croons to Eleanor Powell in his own wobbly but adorable singing voice in Born to Dance.

Always easier to take in supporting roles back then in Ziegfeld Girl, Another Thin Man and even The Philadelphia Story, for which he inexplicably won a best Actor Oscar in spite of supporting Kate Hepburn and Cary Grant.

Apparently, he lost his virginity to Ginger Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2017 1:22 PM

To [R10] No, I never met him but my uncle said he was a really nice, down to earth guy and never acted like a Hollywood star. That's all I got!

by Anonymousreply 12November 14, 2017 1:58 PM

I think this is the only photo of a young, shirtless Stewart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2017 3:11 AM

Most of the old Hollywood crowd were right wing and racist. The 1915 Birth of a Nation film made Hollywood and America ate it up. From 1915 to the 1960s it was the order of the day. Characters such as Mammy and Prissey and Stepanfetchit were cherished by Hollywood. Myrna Loy was among the few who said" why not have a Colored doctor or lawyer in films instead of always showing them as servants. Ginger Rogers, Roslind Russell...such wonderful actors and icons, were right wing and racist. Many of these folk did better than they ever imagined, so they would never bite the hand that fed them.

by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2017 4:27 AM

It’s Jimmy Stewart night on TCM!

Rope now Vertigo next, more after.

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2017 11:05 PM

Maybe. But he was definitely crusing for some angel wings the night I had to throw him outta my bar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2019 4:38 AM

Here's the Wogan clip. It's actually incredibly touching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2019 2:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!