Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actors REPLACED In Films After Shooting Scenes

Most famous Eric Stoltz in Back To The Future. TPTB felt it wasn’t working after a month, fired Stoltz and replaced him with Michael J. Fox. Filming had to start all over again.

Woody Allen is most infamous for this. His film September was completed, but he wasn’t satisfied. Scrapped the entire film and recast Maureen O’Sullivan, Sam Shepherd (who actually replaced Christopher Walken after he shot scenes) and Charles Durning with Eliane Stritch, Sam Waterston and Jack Warden.

Purple Rose of Cairo – Michael Keaton took a significant payout filmed for a week. Woody Allen wasn’t satisfied, fired him and replaced him with Jeff Daniels.

Husbands and Wives – Emily Lloyd couldn’t master an American accent no matter how hard she tried in her filmed scenes. Woody Allen wasn’t satisfied, fired her and replaced her with Juliette Lewis

Judy Garland did one scene on Valley of the Dolls, fired then replaced by Susan Hayward

Stuart Townsend filmed on scene as Aragorn in Lord of the Rings, fired and replaced by Viggo Mortensen

Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 181November 7, 2019 12:34 PM

Are there any examples of an actor being replaced after the movie’s been completed? Like the Spacey/Plummer situation?

by Anonymousreply 1November 9, 2017 4:57 PM

Streisand replaced Dudley Moore with Austin Pendleton in "The Mirror Has Two Faces" after he couldn't remember his lines and was a mess on set.

Bette Midler had Barbara Harris replaced on "Gypsy" because she was upstaging her.

by Anonymousreply 2November 9, 2017 4:58 PM

[quote] Are there any examples of an actor being replaced after the movie’s been completed? Like the Spacey/Plummer situation?

Woody Allen is most infamous for this. His film September was completed, but he wasn’t satisfied. Scrapped the entire film and recast Maureen O’Sullivan, Sam Shepherd (who actually replaced Christopher Walken after he shot scenes) and Charles Durning with Eliane Stritch, Sam Waterston and Jack Warden.

by Anonymousreply 3November 9, 2017 4:58 PM

Garland being replaced by Betty Hutton in Annie Get Your Gun.

by Anonymousreply 4November 9, 2017 5:05 PM

Lucille Ball had Madeline Kahn replaced with Doris Roberts in MAME after she was upstaging her.

by Anonymousreply 5November 9, 2017 5:08 PM

I don't love Hutton in ANNIE, but after seeing a clip of a number Garland shot before being replaced, it was a smart move. Garland's was all wrong in the role.

by Anonymousreply 6November 9, 2017 5:09 PM

The irony is that SEPTEMBER is a mediocre film even with the re-shooting.

by Anonymousreply 7November 9, 2017 5:10 PM

[quote] Lucille Ball had Madeline Kahn replaced with Doris Roberts in MAME after she was upstaging her

Jane Connell, nor Doris Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 8November 9, 2017 5:15 PM

Lucy had Madeline Kahn replaced after a table reading of "Mame" with original Broadway cast member Jane Connell as Gooch. Kahn must have been getting too many laughs, and Lucy didn't want competition from someone young and pretty and funny. Bravo to Barbra Streisand in Kahn's debut picture "What's Up, Doc?" for not being intimidated by having another funny lady on-screen with her, as Kahn steals a lot of scenes.

by Anonymousreply 9November 9, 2017 5:18 PM

I thought Streisand replaced Dudley Moore with her old "Owl and the Pussycat " co-star George Segal?

by Anonymousreply 10November 9, 2017 5:19 PM

Harvey Keitel was replaced by Martin Sheen in "Apocalypse Now" after a week of filming.

Sandra Bullock replaced Lori Petty a few days into shooting "Demolition Man."

Four days into shooting "The Fellowship of the Ring," Peter Jackson decided Stuart Townsend was too young to play Aragorn and replaced him with Viggo Mortensen

James Purefoy left "V for Vendetta" six weeks into filming and was replaced with Hugo Weaving

by Anonymousreply 11November 9, 2017 5:21 PM

Frank Morgan died after having a heart attack after having filmed some of Buffalo Bill's scenes in "Annie Get Your Gun". They recast Louis Calhern for the role.

by Anonymousreply 12November 9, 2017 5:25 PM

Buddy Ebsen was hired to play The Tinman in The Wizard Of Oz but after shooting for a couple of weeks he became very ill because of the toxic aluminum spray paint that they dosed him with every day. He was put in the hospital and without being told was replaced by Jack Haley. Buddy stated that he can still be seen as The Tinman in some long shots in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 13November 9, 2017 5:32 PM

R13 Buddy, The Tinman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 9, 2017 5:35 PM

You can still hear Buddy's voice on some of those "We're Off to See the Wizard" scene endings along with Garland and Bolger (and maybe Lahr) and Toto too! (not Toto's bark though).

by Anonymousreply 15November 9, 2017 5:41 PM

The ambitious 1947 movie "Forever Amber" originally starred an actress named Peggy Cummings. But after seeing a number of rushes that had been filmed the producers deemed her too inexperienced and goody two shoes. Therefore established star Linda Darnell was brought in as the new star and the film was completed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 9, 2017 5:42 PM

I worked some scenes on "The Truman Show". Word on set was that Dennis Hopper was so stoned constantly that they brought in Ed Harris to replace him after scenes with Hopper had been shot. I wasn't on set at the time.

by Anonymousreply 17November 9, 2017 5:49 PM

R16 Peggy Cummings in Forever Amber. Very pretty but they gave her the heave ho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 9, 2017 5:50 PM

Janice Rule brought in the replace already completed scene of Barbara Loden in "The Swimmer" co-starring Burt Lancaster's ass.

by Anonymousreply 19November 9, 2017 5:54 PM

Jennifer Jason Leigh and Harvey Keitel were both replaced (my some no name actress and Sydney Pollack, respectively) on Eyes Wide Shut after Kubrick took so long to shoot the film that they both had to leave for other obligations.

by Anonymousreply 20November 9, 2017 6:01 PM

Marie Richardson.

by Anonymousreply 21November 9, 2017 6:19 PM

Thank you, R21. I knew it was Marie but all I kept coming up with was Marie Windsor (which I KNEW was wrong) and I was too lazy to look it up.

by Anonymousreply 22November 9, 2017 6:23 PM

Famke Janssen did one day of shooting as the villain in Men in Black 2 before dropping out (due to a supposed family emergency). She was replaced by Lara Flynn Boyle. Janssen was cast in another film at the same studio shortly thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 23November 9, 2017 6:43 PM

George Peppard was cast as Blake Carrington in Dynasty and filmed the pilot. Sacked and replaced with John Forsythe.

by Anonymousreply 24November 9, 2017 6:55 PM

George and Linda

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 9, 2017 6:57 PM

George Costanza's father was played by an actor other than Jerry Stiller on "Seinfeld." One day that episode was run in syndication and I told my husband, "Watch! When George's father comes on, it's a different guy!"

And Jerry Stilker walked into the scene. I said, "I SWEAR it was a different actor!"

I later found out they reshot the Frank Constanta scenes with Stiller for syndication.

by Anonymousreply 26November 9, 2017 7:00 PM

At the end of a season on The Sopranos they introduced an FBI agent who was going to become Adriana's "friend." When they came back the following season, a different actress played the FBI agent. I wonder if they reshot the scene in the previous season for syndication.

by Anonymousreply 27November 9, 2017 7:05 PM

Fairuza Balk. That was the actress who originally played FBI agent Deborah Cicerone on The Sopranos.

by Anonymousreply 28November 9, 2017 7:09 PM

Courtney Love was replaced by Natasha henstridge in "Ghosts Of mars" (2001)- ostensibly because someone ran over her foot. Her film career fizzled after that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 9, 2017 7:14 PM

Alexis Smith replaced Helen Lawson, due to "creative differences" on ONCE IS NOT ENOUGH (75), after an on-set tantrum with director Guy Green.

by Anonymousreply 30November 9, 2017 7:15 PM

Kate Mulgrew replaced Genevieve Boujold on the TV show Voyager. Genevieve couldn't keep up with the demands of shooting a TV show. Genevieve was there a week and shot some scenes.

by Anonymousreply 31November 9, 2017 7:15 PM

Can we keep this to FILMS only and not TV, It is more common in TV for actors to be replaced after filming, than in film.

by Anonymousreply 32November 9, 2017 7:16 PM

Interesting, I wonder what Voyager would have been like with a different Katherine Janeway.

by Anonymousreply 33November 9, 2017 7:21 PM

Excuse me, but I own this thread.

by Anonymousreply 34November 9, 2017 7:21 PM

More Woody Allen. What a genius! Only a true exceptional brilliant genius could do all these replacements.

by Anonymousreply 35November 9, 2017 7:24 PM

Naveen Andrews replaced by Keanu Reeves in Little Buddha?

by Anonymousreply 36November 9, 2017 7:27 PM

[quote] More Woody Allen. What a genius! Only a true exceptional brilliant genius could do all these replacements.

No that is just the way he shoots his films. He doesn't do a complete script, but just a basic outline. Then he shoots scene by scene and somehow puts it together. Actors don't get paid for a film, but just a days work, 10K per day they are on the set. On his films 40% of his budget is set aside of re-shoots as he constantly does re-shoots on his films. because once he gets into editing, and sees things aren't working he just does a re-shoot of the scene or a new scene.

by Anonymousreply 37November 9, 2017 7:30 PM

Just to follow up on what I wrote in R37 during editing if Woody feels an actor isn't working out, he will just trash those filmed scenes, recast and re-shoot all the scenes with a different actor.

by Anonymousreply 38November 9, 2017 7:34 PM

Winona Ryder replaced by Sophia Coppola in Godfather III.

by Anonymousreply 39November 9, 2017 7:42 PM

R39 But Winona didn't shoot a single scene, this is about actors who FILMED scenes and then was replaced.

by Anonymousreply 40November 9, 2017 7:44 PM

Vivien Leigh signed to play the female role in the 1954 movie Elephant Walk but had to drop out after a number of weeks due to her fragile mental condition. She was replaced by Elizabeth Taylor.

Leigh can still be seen in some of the long shots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 9, 2017 8:08 PM

R41 Ever had elephants in your living room?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 9, 2017 8:16 PM

Yeah, Jonathan Rhys Meyers said he was scared to death at the beginning of the Match Point shoot Allen was going to fire him. Allen has form for firing actors already on set. I also remember a quote from a MP producer that JRM was a nightmare to handle but it had been worth it.

by Anonymousreply 43November 9, 2017 8:18 PM

Fuck you, r32, I'll post whatever I want.

The Son of Anarchy spinoff is being reshot. Almost the entire cast has been replaced.

by Anonymousreply 44November 9, 2017 8:43 PM

Pity he didn't, r43, JRM is a terrible actor.

by Anonymousreply 45November 9, 2017 9:00 PM

Wasn’t the hot actor, love interest of Khaleesi, in Game of Thrones, played by three actors across the series? It’s hard enough keeping the characters straight, without them changing actors.

One of them said something about quitting because he was Christian and was not comfortable with the nude/love scenes. Well, there goes his career.

by Anonymousreply 46November 9, 2017 9:15 PM

Boris Karloff died during filming “Plan 9 From Outer Space”. He was replaced by California chiropractor Tom Mason, who hid his face for his scenes, and hunched over, since he was much taller. He finished the film, so the character was played by two actors in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 47November 9, 2017 9:28 PM

This is more of a stretch, but Doris Day starred in "Move Over, Darling" a reworking of Marilyn's ill-fated, never-completed "Something's Got To Give".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 9, 2017 9:28 PM

Actually, r46, 8 different parts on Game of Thrones have been recast.

by Anonymousreply 49November 9, 2017 10:46 PM

R47, that was Bela Lugosi, I think.

by Anonymousreply 50November 9, 2017 10:52 PM

I was mercilessly replaced by Gwen Verdon in the film Damn Yankees. All because I kept calling them the Dickless Dodgers.

by Anonymousreply 51November 9, 2017 10:56 PM

Rita Hayworth became ill 4 days into shooting Tales that Witness Madness, then she flew back home to LA (movie was shot in England) and was seemingly not aware she was working a film shoot. Kim Novak replaced her.

by Anonymousreply 52November 9, 2017 11:22 PM

Deborah Kerr replaced Kim Novak in Eye of the Devil.

by Anonymousreply 53November 10, 2017 12:09 AM

[quote]Bravo to Barbra Streisand in Kahn's debut picture "What's Up, Doc?" for not being intimidated by having another funny lady on-screen with her, as Kahn steals a lot of scenes.

Actually Barbra was intimidated. I heard Peter Bogdonovitch speak at a screening of What's Up Doc once. He said at the first table reading Madeline had people in hysterics. Even on small little things like the way she said "Howard".

Streisand half jokingly said "I feel like an extra in my own movie."

by Anonymousreply 54November 10, 2017 12:30 AM

R27, yes the re-shot with the new actress for the season 3 DVD.

by Anonymousreply 55November 10, 2017 12:36 AM

I always thought it must have been so humiliating for Andie MacDowll in Greystoke.

They shot the whole film and then thought she sounded so bad they hired Glenn Close to come in and dub all her dialogue.

I think this happened to Demi Moore early in her career too.

by Anonymousreply 56November 10, 2017 12:39 AM

[quote] Husbands and Wives – Emily Lloyd couldn’t master an American accent no matter how hard she tried in her filmed scenes. Woody Allen wasn’t satisfied, fired her and replaced her with Juliette Lewis

I read the sleazier version about how woody was so turned on by De Niro's seduction scene with the young Lewis in Cafe Fear.

by Anonymousreply 57November 10, 2017 12:45 AM

R54 At least Barbra didn't have her fired. Turns out both she and Madeline, plus Ryan O'Neal, Austin Pendleton and Kenneth Mars are wonderful in that film.

by Anonymousreply 58November 10, 2017 12:58 AM

Didn't Marilyn Monroe film scenes for "Something's Got To Give" before the Kennedys had her killed? Who replaced her?

The first episode of "Leave It To Beaver" had gay actor Casey Adams as Ward and another actor as Wally. Beaver and June were played by Jerry Mathers and Barbara Billingsley.

by Anonymousreply 59November 10, 2017 12:59 AM

No Lucy didn’t have Kahn fired from Mame because she was too funny. It was the exact opposite in fact. Kahn realized she wanted to do What’s Up Doc instead so she barely mumbled brought the table read so that she would be let go. Lucy famously asked her when exactly she was going to start giving them Gooch. Lucy was a perfectionist and simply would not tolerate Khan’s unprofessionalism.

by Anonymousreply 60November 10, 2017 1:00 AM

Betty Buckley's scenes were reshot for the pilot of The Sally Field Program.

by Anonymousreply 61November 10, 2017 1:04 AM

[quote] No Lucy didn’t have Kahn fired from Mame because she was too funny. It was the exact opposite in fact. Kahn realized she wanted to do What’s Up Doc instead so she barely mumbled brought the table read so that she would be let go. Lucy famously asked her when exactly she was going to start giving them Gooch. Lucy was a perfectionist and simply would not tolerate Khan’s unprofessionalism.

You do know production started on Mame nearly a year after What's Up Doc was released, right?

by Anonymousreply 62November 10, 2017 1:05 AM

Oliver Reed drank himself to death while filming Gladiator. The studio spent millions recreating him or his face for some unshot scenes.

by Anonymousreply 63November 10, 2017 1:10 AM

I was replaced by Helen Hayes in Victoria Regina.

by Anonymousreply 64November 10, 2017 1:24 AM

[quote] they hired Glenn Close to come in and dub all her dialogue.

Somewhat better than having Glennie on the screen. She'll do anything.

by Anonymousreply 65November 10, 2017 2:37 PM

The whole thing with Andie McDowell and GREYSTOKE is one of those "what were they thinking when they hired her" scenarios (other than the possible casting couch element). McDowell had been primarily a model up to that point and surely they had her read before casting her - she certainly wasn't trained enough to mask her South Carolina drawl to do a convincing British accent. I always believed that they planned to dub her all along, and just cast her for her looks, but heaven knows there were good-looking British actresses who could be cast.

McDowell is no great actress but I do give her credit for overcoming this and establishing some kind of career. One of her roles after GREYSTOKE was in the Brat Pack movie ST. ELMO'S FIRE, and she's one of the few good performances in that film, albeit in a small role.

by Anonymousreply 66November 10, 2017 2:50 PM

Steve Martin replaced George Segal in The Apple Pie Hub Bub.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 10, 2017 3:08 PM

Shemp Howard had lots of shorts where he never finished.

by Anonymousreply 68November 10, 2017 3:24 PM

Stockyard Channing replaced Bette Davis in Grease

by Anonymousreply 69November 10, 2017 3:25 PM

GoT fans, has Michiel Huisman's penis replaced anyone else's penis?

by Anonymousreply 70November 10, 2017 4:25 PM

Jack Carter we hardly knew ye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 10, 2017 4:28 PM

I'm surprised it took so many posts, r34.

by Anonymousreply 72November 10, 2017 4:36 PM

r26, interestingly they did not do that with the original guy who played Jerry's father. I believe the fake Morty is in a season 1 episode.

by Anonymousreply 73November 10, 2017 4:39 PM

Believe it or not, R72, not everyone is a member of the "Divas Do It in Black & White" club.

by Anonymousreply 74November 10, 2017 4:41 PM

Woody Allen recast the male lead in Purple Rose of Cairo: they started with Michael Keaton, but he looked "too modern" so they called Jeff Daniels.

by Anonymousreply 75November 10, 2017 5:08 PM

I wonder if Jerry Stiller has survivors guilt, having replaced 2 actors like that.

by Anonymousreply 76November 10, 2017 5:21 PM

We can skip anything about Joan and Bette that Ryan Murphy put in his show., and we know it.

by Anonymousreply 77November 10, 2017 5:29 PM

Bette Midler did not have Barbara Harris fired from Gypsy tv movie. She wanted to hire Harris but Barbara had retired to New Mexico (or Arizonza, can't remember which) and turned the offer down.

by Anonymousreply 78November 10, 2017 5:58 PM

Robert De Niro was cast in an early draft of "The Goodbye Girl"; then-director Mike Nichols and writer Neil Simon were unhappy with his reading of the role. De Niro was fired and Warner Bros eventually had the entire production scrapped. Simon then went and rewrote the entire script and cast Richard Dreyfuss in De Niro's role.

by Anonymousreply 79November 10, 2017 6:36 PM

No, R78, Harris shot scenes for the movie, but was fired by Midler after she too good. Harris was traumatized by the whole incident and permanently retired from acting because of it.

by Anonymousreply 80November 10, 2017 9:44 PM

When Tyrone Power died of a heart attack during the filming of the epic “Solomon and Sheba,” Yul Brynner was hired to replace him, though apparently Power can still be seen in various long shots.

by Anonymousreply 81November 13, 2017 3:22 AM

I loved JRM in Matchpoint...I really liked that movie.

by Anonymousreply 82November 13, 2017 3:37 AM

Garbo was replaced by Judy Canova in "Ride That Bronco, Sister! " GG wasn't getting into the spirit of the piece.

by Anonymousreply 83November 13, 2017 3:45 AM

I know I will be angering that above poster, but getting back to TV, I just learned this week the entire ORIGINAL cast of the pilot of THE MIDDLE was replaced with the superb, under-rated current "original" cast.

In regard to film, most people don't know that the Little Women was already being filmed with Shirley Temple, Rhonda Fleming and then-wife Jennifer Jones but then he abandoned it mid-filming and sold the property to MGM who re-cast every role with MGM's glamorous stars June Allyson, Mary Astor, Rossano Brazzi, Janet Leigh and of course Elizabeth Taylor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 13, 2017 3:49 AM

And by he I mean David O. Selznick

by Anonymousreply 85November 13, 2017 3:50 AM

I had no idea there was another, partially-filmed LITTLE WOMEN!

by Anonymousreply 86November 13, 2017 3:58 AM

[quote]Robert De Niro was cast in an early draft of "The Goodbye Girl".

Robert DeNiro is HOPELESS in any comedy. I think his talents were vastly overrated for years, as he is really only suitable for very specific roles and has little range.

by Anonymousreply 87November 13, 2017 4:43 AM

Version of Apt Pupil (Stephen King Novel) that was filmed with Nicol Williamson & Rick Schroder, but only half the film was completed before it was shut down due to financing. Ultimately the film was abandoned, but I'd be curious to see what if any footage survived

by Anonymousreply 88November 13, 2017 4:52 AM

Woah! There's footage somewhere of Barbara Harris in Gypsy? What I wouldn't give to see that. I bet she was phenomenal. Hell, she should have been playing Rose instead of Bette.

by Anonymousreply 89November 13, 2017 5:03 AM

[quote] Turns out both she and Madeline, plus Ryan O'Neal, Austin Pendleton and Kenneth Mars are wonderful in that film.

I'd agree with you about everyone except Ryan O'Neal, who is stiff and unfunny. But, at least he is at his most beautiful.

It has Streisand's funniest performance, and a classic Kahn one. And Austin Pendleton gets to deliver what the movie's funniest single line: "Don't you *dare* strike that brave, unbalanced woman!"

by Anonymousreply 90November 13, 2017 5:03 AM

I know this thread is for films but it should be noted that several actors are replaced every year after the pilot is shot and tested. Shows that get picked up will often recast and reshoot the pilot before going to series.

by Anonymousreply 91November 13, 2017 5:13 AM

more

by Anonymousreply 92November 16, 2017 2:48 PM

Loretta Swit was the original choice for Cagney in the Cagney and Lacey series. But she couldn't get out of M*A*S*H. The role was then offered to Meg Foster. Meg Foster was dumped after 6 episodes due to a combo of poor ratings and CBS execs feeling that Foster was too butch/tough, giving the series a lesbian aura ("we perceived them as dykes"). A more femmy Sharon Gless was then offered the role. Gless initially didn't want to be yet another replacement, as she had just taken a role in House Calls replacing Lynn Redgrave. Gless eventually relented.

by Anonymousreply 93November 16, 2017 3:16 PM

[quote]Version of Apt Pupil (Stephen King Novel) that was filmed with Nicol Williamson & Rick Schroder, but only half the film was completed before it was shut down due to financing. Ultimately the film was abandoned, but I'd be curious to see what if any footage survived

I had never heard that. Who directed the uncompleted version? Presumably not Bryan Singer, who directed the completed version with Brad Renfro and Ian McKellen?

by Anonymousreply 94November 16, 2017 3:18 PM

It's surreal to think that Sharon Gless was the 'straight' option after another actress read as too 'dyke-y'. That's like choosing Paul Lynde in something to butch it up.

by Anonymousreply 95November 16, 2017 3:25 PM

I know this is for film but I have a good TV one!!

Lorna Patterson was cast as Suzanne Sugarbaker in 'Designing Women'. She actually started to film the pilot.

Linda Bloodworth-Thomason has actually written the part for Delta Burke, who she had written for on Filthy Rich. However, the network did not want Dixie Carter and Delta Burke on another show together, as they had cancelled Filthy Rich 3 years prior. Delta Burke was devastated as she had already been offered the part of Katherine Wentworth in Dallas, (3 years prior) and had to turn that down as she was under contract to Filthy Rich even though the show was on hiatus and going to be cancelled. So the network were again preventing her taking a part because of that show.

Anyway, Patterson was apparently very bad in the part and on the day before the audience recording, Linda Bloodworth-Thomason got her way and the network allowed Delta to come in and take over. Meaning the Suzanne Sugarbaker we all knew was born.

by Anonymousreply 96November 16, 2017 3:38 PM

I cannot for the life of me picture Lorna Patterson playing Suzanne. Who decided if not Delta Burke, Lorna Patterson??

by Anonymousreply 97November 16, 2017 5:02 PM

Betty Buckley was escorted off the set during a lunch break for Simply Irresistible (shooting title was Vanilla Fog) and the rest of her scenes were rewritten for Lawrence Gilliard Jr.

by Anonymousreply 98November 16, 2017 6:19 PM

Gerard McSorley worked five days on The Departed before he was replaced by Martin Sheen. McSorley’s behavior on set was apparently becoming increasingly bizarre, perhaps triggered by the death of his son a few months earlier.

by Anonymousreply 99November 16, 2017 6:22 PM

Mrs. Stephens was the funniest thing in What's Up Doc?

by Anonymousreply 100November 16, 2017 7:45 PM

^^ Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 101November 16, 2017 9:18 PM

Lauren Graham replaced Maura Tierney in Parenthood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102November 16, 2017 9:44 PM

r93 Loretta Swit actually did the TV movie of Cagney and Lacey. Then when it became a series she couldn't do it because of MASH and that is when Meg Foster and then Sharon Gless came onboard.

Meg Foster always scared me as a child. Her eyes were so piercing. She was in a TV version of The Scarlet Letter that I'd see ads for and it always freaked me out.

by Anonymousreply 103November 16, 2017 11:02 PM

Loretta Swit is still bitter decades later. Meg in The Scarlet Letter was one of the finest performances an actress has ever given. Her eyes really were something else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 16, 2017 11:09 PM

[quote]Betty Buckley was escorted off the set during a lunch break for Simply Irresistible (shooting title was Vanilla Fog) and the rest of her scenes were rewritten for Lawrence Gilliard Jr.

What the hell is the story with that? What exactly did she do that warranted being escorted off the set? I know she's a kook but that just seems extreme.

by Anonymousreply 105November 16, 2017 11:18 PM

r105 supposedly (from what I've read on DL in the past) she said to Geller "Are you going to say it like that?" after some line reading.

Geller got upset and had her removed. Not sure if it is true but that's the DL story.

by Anonymousreply 106November 16, 2017 11:21 PM

R103 Cagney and Lacey was originally a TV movie. The creators wanted Sharon Gless from the start, but CBS had a contract for a certain number of movies for Loretta Swit, so the network insisted they use Swit, who was actually very wrong for the part.

When it went to series, again, the producers wanted Gless, but this time she'd committed to another series. Meg Foster was cast instead. When Gless became available, it's true that she was very reluctant to replace Foster. They eventually convinced her, and the rest is history.

by Anonymousreply 107November 16, 2017 11:23 PM

Yes, it always made me laugh that they replaced Meg Foster with Sharon Gless to make the character of Cagney less dykey.

by Anonymousreply 108November 16, 2017 11:28 PM

[quote]Kahn must have been getting too many laughs, and Lucy didn't want competition from someone young and pretty and funny.

Wrong. Not what happened. It was just the opposite. It was a table read, and Lucy wanted Kahn to play full out, to show her a finished Gooch. Kahn said she would develop the character in rehearsals. Lucy said "Get me that gal who did it with Lansbury!" And they did.

As to being afraid of competition from young and pretty, Lucy admired talent, period. Barbara Eden, who was extremely young and extremely pretty when she did I Love Lucy, has talked about how friendly Lucy was to her, and how she she helped her with advice.

by Anonymousreply 109November 16, 2017 11:34 PM

The story's been told already, R109. Except what Lucy actually said was, "Get me Gooch!"

by Anonymousreply 110November 16, 2017 11:36 PM

[quote]Robert DeNiro is HOPELESS in any comedy. I think his talents were vastly overrated for years, as he is really only suitable for very specific roles and has little range.

His comic scenes at the beginning of "New York, New York" are painful and embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 111November 16, 2017 11:37 PM

I'd say DeNiro did comedy in the Fockers movies, but they weren't funny.

by Anonymousreply 112November 16, 2017 11:38 PM

R97 Lorna Patterson had a contract with the network and they would have been looking for vehicles for her to star in. Designing Women wasn't even a solid concept. Bloodworth-Thomason just told the network she wanted to write a show where Burke, Carter, Potts and Smart were just in a room together talking. All the format was just cobbled together after that pitch. But the bosses at the network wanted Patterson not Burke in it and Thomason knew it had to have Burke as she knew how Burke and Carter sparked off one another.

Ironically, pretty much exactly the same thing happened 5 years later when Burke left the show. All four women were out of contract and free to leave. Smart choose to leave, Burke wanted to stay but attempted to renotiate as all sit-com stars do at the 5 year point. By this point The McCranney's and The Thomasons hated each other. Gerald McCranney was trying to stoke Delta to claim more from the show and she got Diva like, Harry Thomason was ruling the series like a Dictator. He didn't want Delta back for the sixth season and the network were going to replace the Thomasons and keep Delta. Harry Thomason won the battle and got Delta kicked off the show. But the network made them replace her with Julia Duffy who had a contract and no vehicle. It was a stinking disaster and Designing Women went on to die a slow death!

by Anonymousreply 113November 17, 2017 12:12 AM

R106, that’s only one of the things she said to Gellar, who was actually a “silent producer.” She was a constant pain in the ass, beginning on Day 1 when she bitched about being so tired because the wardrobe supervisor kept her up so late for a last minute fitting. The truth is the wardrobe supervisor waited in her apartment lobby for over 90 minutes while Buckley was out to dinner. The capper was when she told the DP he was going to add another camera set up for her and he said “No, I’m not” and she said “Yes, you are.” The director, who was a producer for many years, had enough of her shit and wanted her exit to be as ugly as possible. He ordered security to escort her from the soundstage, which was Silvercup East.

by Anonymousreply 114November 17, 2017 12:32 AM

Who the fuck cast Judy in Annie Get Your Gun? fuck man this was bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 17, 2017 12:41 AM

Jesus. Judy looks like Chaka from Land of the Lost!

by Anonymousreply 116November 17, 2017 12:44 AM

"Courtney Love was replaced by Natasha henstridge in "Ghosts Of mars" (2001)- ostensibly because someone ran over her foot."

Is that what she said, that somebody "ran over her foot?" Yeah, right! She was replaced because she was a drug addled psycho.

by Anonymousreply 117November 17, 2017 12:49 AM

someone did run over her foot. while she was sitting on the curb shooting up.

by Anonymousreply 118November 17, 2017 12:52 AM

Cameron Crowe fired Ashton Kutcher a couple of weeks into filming Elizabethtown for a lack of chemisty with Kristen Dunst and not giving him the performance he was looking for. Orlando Bloom replaced him.

by Anonymousreply 119November 17, 2017 3:42 AM

Oops Kirsten not Kristen

by Anonymousreply 120November 17, 2017 3:45 AM

I don't think anyone has mentioned the infamous Eric Stoltz being replaced with Michael J. Fox on "Back to the Future."

by Anonymousreply 121November 17, 2017 3:51 AM

Omar Sharif's son was replaced by Omar Sharif in Dr. Zhivago

by Anonymousreply 122November 17, 2017 3:54 AM

Jennifer Esposito was replaced after one day on the remake of Shaft. John Singleton wanted to fuck her so he cast her and Scott Rudin wanted Toni Collette. Rudin did a very smart thing by having the hair department fit Esposito with a horrible red wig. He was counting on Esposito, who already had a rep for being unstable, to freak out. She wouldn’t come to set. Rudin won. Toni Collette was on set the next day.

by Anonymousreply 123November 17, 2017 4:57 AM

r121 can't even be bothered to read the OP

by Anonymousreply 124November 17, 2017 5:02 AM

[quote] Cameron Crowe fired Ashton Kutcher a couple of weeks into filming Elizabethtown for a lack of chemisty with Kristen Dunst and not giving him the performance he was looking for. Orlando Bloom replaced him.

Isn't that kind of like replacing generic whiskey with actual piss?

by Anonymousreply 125November 17, 2017 5:02 PM

A young actress set to play Louise Brooks in the film The Chaperone opposite Elizabeth McGovern was replaced just before shooting began with Haley Lu Richardson. I don’t know her name.

by Anonymousreply 126November 19, 2017 1:46 AM

[quote] Yes, it always made me laugh that they replaced Meg Foster with Sharon Gless to make the character of Cagney less dykey.

Actually the suits at CBS felt Tyne Daly and Meg Foster were double too dykey. They wanted an actress who was Feminine, and Sharon was much softer than Meg Foster

by Anonymousreply 127November 19, 2017 1:53 AM

Casting for Zobra The Greek had problems with the casting the role of Mme. Hortense. UA insisted on a star, and writer/producer Michael Cacoyannis and star Anthony Quinn thought of Simone Signoret, the great French actress. They went to Paris and pitched her the part. Initially hesitant, Signoret finally agreed, and a few weeks later she was in Crete shooting her first scene. It went disastrously.

As Quinn later wrote in his memoir One Man Tango, the scene called for "Madame Hortense...to prattle on in an expository way about the great admirals who used to be her lovers, but Simone was not ridiculous enough, not pathetic enough in her portrayal. Michael kept after her, trying to get it right. We started shooting at eight o'clock in the evening, and by midnight, when we broke for lunch, the scene had not moved anywhere. As the night wore on, Simone became even more unsure of herself, and for the first time I became concerned...I did not think to worry for the picture itself - Simone would be fine, eventually - but we could not afford to waste a whole night's shooting.

"Then, during a pause between takes, I looked over and saw Simone, on the floor, crying. 'Forgive me,' Simone said, up from her weeping, 'but I can't. I can't do this part. I should never have taken it.'" When pressed why, Signoret finally explained it was because "Hortense is an old woman, and I've got a young husband. I cannot let him see me like this."

Signoret was on a flight back to Paris the next day. Quinn started calling every possible actress he could think of for the part, including Barbara Stanwyck, Ann Southern and Tallulah Bankhead. All loved the script but could not be ready in Crete quickly enough. (The production was losing money every day of the delay.) Finally Cacoyannis thought of an actress named Lila Kedrova, whom he claimed would be perfect. Trouble was, no one else had ever heard of her and United Artists was totally uninterested. As Quinn wrote, "we traded one problem for another." Quinn put in a call to Darryl F. Zanuck at Twentieth Century-Fox, hoping to convince him to take over the budget - which now totaled $750,000. The outcome was one of those only-in-old-Hollywood stories which would never happen in the business today. After listening to Quinn explain the situation, Zanuck asked, "'You believe in it, Tony?'

"'I think it could be the best picture I've ever done. It's a story about life, and how to live.'

"'I don't know why,' Zanuck said, 'but I believe you. When do you want the money?'

"'Tomorrow.'

"'It'll be there.'

"And it was," Quinn wrote. "He never even asked to see a script. He just sent his son-law over with the money, and we were back in business.'"

The rest was history. Kedrova was indeed perfect and wound up winning the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.

by Anonymousreply 128November 19, 2017 1:58 AM

[quote] But the network made them replace her with Julia Duffy who had a contract and no vehicle.

Yes Julia did have a contract, but with ABC (she was doing Baby Talk) NOT CBS. If you beleived that then I seriously doubt what you wrote about Lorna Patterson

by Anonymousreply 129November 19, 2017 2:05 AM

Suzanne was different in the first few episodes of Designing Women. She was more the former beauty queen and kind of slutty. Julia would make fun of her for that. It was only as the series evolved that she became the eccentric character of the later days.

by Anonymousreply 130November 19, 2017 2:07 AM

Peter Sellers was hired by Billy Wilder to play Orville Spooner in "Kiss Me Stupid." Sellers was stressed out by the atmosphere on the set; Billy Wilder had an "open" set, with lots of visitors and onlookers and friends of the actors around. After six weeks of filming Sellers had a massive coronary thrombosis. He heart stopped six times. Doctors told Wilder it would take him six months to recover. Wilder agonized over what he should do; wait for Sellers to recover or replace him. He ended up replacing him with Ray Walston. But it was still tragic; Wilder said the footage he shot with Sellers was magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 131November 19, 2017 2:10 AM

Didn't they realize how shitty Designing Women would be without Suzanne? The interaction between Julia and Suzanne were 80% of the show. The other 20% was the interaction with Suzanne and everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 132November 19, 2017 2:17 AM

R132 which is why the show jumped the shark after Delta Burke was fired

by Anonymousreply 133November 19, 2017 2:19 AM

It was fucking eaten by the shark. Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg. With Delta that show had three more quality seasons left.

by Anonymousreply 134November 19, 2017 2:30 AM

Dawson surprisingly called uncle after the 489th load during the filming of The 1000 Load Fuck and TIM had to replace him with George AND find about 400 new guys to shoot their wads.

by Anonymousreply 135November 19, 2017 2:39 AM

I'm always surprised to hear that people found Meg Foster dykey. Tyne Daly, sure, but I've met Meg a few times and she's one of the warmest, most soft spoken angels in this world. She doesn't seem butch. Maybe it was just the 80's fashions and hairstyles they had them wear.

by Anonymousreply 136November 19, 2017 2:59 AM

Didn't Meg play a lesbian in a made-for-TV movie around that time? Maybe audiences and the industry typecast her after that.

by Anonymousreply 137November 19, 2017 3:09 AM

They should have put Julia Duffy in Cagney & Lacey. I can see her rolling her eyes and huffing whilst pulling out her gun to nab the bad guy.

by Anonymousreply 138November 19, 2017 3:14 AM

To keep with the Woody Allen theme, Steve Carell replaced Bruce Willis in Cafe Society, apparently because Willis couldn't remember his lines. They filmed a couple of weeks with him before he was dropped.

Meg Foster did play a "lesbian" In A Different Story, but considering her character fell in love with supposedly gay Perry King after their marriage of convenience, I don't know why she would be typecast as gay by the public after the fact.

by Anonymousreply 139November 19, 2017 3:37 AM

Lisa Eichorn being replaced by Barbra Streisand in "All Night Long" after three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 140November 19, 2017 4:54 AM

R60 is funny. Everyone knows Ball was a demanding cunt offscreen and her insistence on the ridiculous level of sft focus plus the dreadful direction contributed to making the film one of the all-timb bombs.

by Anonymousreply 141November 19, 2017 6:09 AM

[quote] Are there any examples of an actor being replaced after the movie’s been completed? Like the Spacey/Plummer situation?

R1 They re-shot all of ZaSu Pitts' scenes with Beryl Mercer in "All Quiet on the Western Front," because preview audiences proved incapable of accepting Pitts in a dramatic role. She was too firmly implanted in their brains as a comedic actress, and apparently they broke into inappropriate laughter during her scenes. Pitts was in the trailer, though (about the 2:45 mark).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142November 19, 2017 6:17 AM

Lana Turner was replaced by Lee Remick in "Anatomy of a Murder." Turner and director, Otto Preminger, didn't get along.

by Anonymousreply 143November 19, 2017 6:35 AM

R1 Another actor who's work was totally replaced after completion was Colin Firth as the voice of Paddington in "A Bear Called Paddington." Producers eventually decided his voice was wrong for the role (too mature), and they re-did it with Ben Whishaw.

by Anonymousreply 144November 19, 2017 6:55 AM

Michael Biehn replaced James Remar in "Aliens" after a week of filming, because Remar and James Cameron didn't get along.

by Anonymousreply 145November 19, 2017 6:59 AM

R145, Wiki on Remar says he was replaced due to a drug problem.

by Anonymousreply 146November 19, 2017 7:06 AM

R146 Well, I guess that that would certainly be a reason to not get along ..... :>

by Anonymousreply 147November 19, 2017 7:17 AM

Delta Burke was fired from Designing Women? I didn't know that. She was behaving really erratically the last year or so she was on and would often not be missing from episodes.

That was dumb to fire her. The show was never any good afterwards (and yet they did another series with her as Suzanne that only ran a few episodes.)

by Anonymousreply 148November 19, 2017 7:27 AM

Topsy Jane had a nervous breakdown during the filming of "Billy Liar" and was subsequently replaced by Julie Christie (who had previously tested for the role twice, but rejected).

by Anonymousreply 149November 19, 2017 7:33 AM

[quote]Jonathan Taylor Thomas took over the role of Steven, after Balthazar Getty was fired from the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150November 19, 2017 7:34 AM

John Wayne replaced Robert Mitchum in "Blood Alley." From IMDb:

[quote] Robert Mitchum was originally cast as Capt. Wilder. He was fired from the film after an altercation in which he shoved the film's transportation manager into San Francisco Bay. Director William A. Wellman complained to John Wayne--whose company, Batjac Productions, was producing the film--that Mitchum "was on dope, always walking about six inches off the ground." Wellman said either he or Mitchum had to go. Gregory Peck subsequently turned down the role because he found it offensive, and Humphrey Bogart wanted a $500,000 salary, which would have put the film over budget. Without a major male star involved, Warner Bros. contacted Wayne, threatening to pull out of their distribution deal for the film unless he took the role himself. To keep his new production company afloat, Wayne agreed to replace Mitchum.

by Anonymousreply 151November 19, 2017 7:42 AM

Fred Astaire replaced Paul Draper in musical-comedy, "Blue Skies." Reportedly, the switch was made because of Draper's impatience and criticism of screen partner, Joan Caulfiled, or his speech impediment, or a combination of both.

by Anonymousreply 152November 19, 2017 7:55 AM

Matt LeBlanc replaced Sean Patrick Flanery in the 1998 "Lost in Space" movie..lol!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153November 19, 2017 8:06 AM

I asked this question on IMDB but no-one seemed to know the answer.

I heard that a distinguished actor [??Peter Ustinov??] had been filming the role of Baron Harkonnen in strenuous conditions in New Mexico for the 1984 movie of 'Dune'.

But he was replaced during the filming by an unknown actor. Does anyone the name of the original actor?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154November 19, 2017 9:21 AM

[quote]They shot the whole film and then thought she sounded so bad they hired Glenn Close to come in and dub all her dialogue.

They did the same thing to Klinton Spilsbury in The Legend of the Lone Ranger. He had gay voice abd was dubbed by James Keach.

by Anonymousreply 155November 19, 2017 10:42 AM

Sorry, but what part was Barbara Harris playing in Midler’s Gypsy?

by Anonymousreply 156November 19, 2017 10:48 AM

I found this addendum to the story of R155's Klinton Spilsbury tale:

The Legend of the Lone Ranger[edit] Klinton Spilsbury's dialogue in The Legend of the Lone Ranger was dubbed by actor James Keach.[1] Considerable controversy surrounded Spilsbury at the time of the film's release, in part because of the studio's treatment of Clayton Moore, star of the popular 1950s TV series, who was prevented through legal action from wearing his black mask during personal appearances.[1] Controversy also was due to Spilsbury's on-set antics, which included fighting with crew members and being uncooperative and combative during the production.[1] It was the only film Spilsbury would make.[7] For his performance in this film, Spilsbury received the 1981 Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Actor. Andy Warhol interviewed Spilsbury during his promotion tour, later describing the interview as "nutty," because Spilsbury was "blowing his whole image" during their conversation. Spilsbury told Warhol that prior to making the movie, he had been an art student married to a rich woman and that they had a baby together. He went on to state that they did not spend much time together because he needed too much time with his own thoughts, a detail that Warhol found amusing. Spilsbury told Warhol that he was a friend of actor Dennis Christopher and had fallen in love with him, and that he also had later fallen in love with actor Bud Cort. Warhol described Spilsbury as "very drunk" during the latter part of the interview, when he also mentioned that "he'd been picked up by Halston and woke up in bed with Halston."[8]

by Anonymousreply 157November 19, 2017 6:21 PM

Erna replaced Mrs Patrick Campbell in the 1980s film "Bang MY Bung Hole"!

by Anonymousreply 158November 19, 2017 7:02 PM

Roseanne Barr replaced Joan Rivers in Look Who's Talking Two as the voice of the baby daughter.

by Anonymousreply 159November 19, 2017 7:14 PM

Another voice-only role that was replaced in post-production was in "Her" - with Scarlett Johansson replacing Samantha Morton as the computer voice called "Samantha."

by Anonymousreply 160November 19, 2017 7:40 PM

Barbara Stanwyck was replaced on the set of HEAT OF ANGER in1971 when she collapsed on set while into the first week of shooting. She was replaced by Susan Hayward. Had it been Davis or Crawford, there would have been lots of spitting, hissing and catty remarks. But Barbara was philosophical about it, saying that “at least they got someone from Brooklyn”.

by Anonymousreply 161November 19, 2017 7:44 PM

During the filming of "Man About Town," Dorothy Lamour stepped in to replace Betty Grable who'd come down with appendicitis. Betty did make it back to appear in the film, as another character.

Later, Grable herself would replace Alice Faye in "Down Argentine Way," when Faye came down with appendicitis. (I don't think filming had begun yet, though.) Grable considered this her big break and said, "Alice's misfortune was my good luck."

by Anonymousreply 162November 19, 2017 8:07 PM

One of those British childrenwho was on Ellen Degeneres’ talk show was Little Red Riding Hood in Into The Woods but didn’t even make it past camera tests.

by Anonymousreply 163November 19, 2017 10:45 PM

R129 I can assure you Lorna Patterson was the original Suzanne Sugarbaker. I also don't know what happened with the network, The Thomasons and Julia Duffy - but it was the network who wanted Duffy in the show.

Lots of stuff goes on with TV networks, actors and contracts. But I've heard quite a lot of actors of successful TV shows say there were fortunate to get the part because a Network executive wanted them in the role, they were under contract to another Network and the other Network get their contract released or swapped for another actor that second Network may want. Duffy was likely a swap contract.

As I said, the Network wanted to replace the Thomasons and keep Delta, but the formers legality won out. So the Network had the say over who replaced Delta. Bloodworth-Thomason got the control over the Carlene character and the actress who played her. Even though that character was ill conceived!

It then got even more ridiculous as Jackee Harry was brought in for the final episode of season 6 as the back door replacement for Julia Duffy. However, she was under contract to another show (on hiatus) who wouldn't release her, so they created that BJ Poteet character for Bonnie Hunt. Hunt didn't want the part and Judith Ivey got it.

The series may have gone to an eighth season, but Annie Potts quit during season 7. She finished the season but had no intention of coming back. The Thomasons thought they could bring in another actress (yet again) but the Network said enough and killed the show.

Designing Women was truly a brilliant show that was ultimately destroyed by The Thomasons inability to produce and be good bosses. Notice how they never really managed to go on to produce that many more successful shows after Evening Shade and Hearts Afire.

Delta Burke fell out with them, Julia Duffy hated working on the show and Annie Potts wanted to leave because of their behaviour and went into the sit com Love and War. Dixie Carter kept her mouth shut because her husband was appearing on their other show 'Evening Shade' at the same time, so both were employed by them. However, Burt Reynolds feuded with them on this show and cast members were not happy! So if you look at Delta's departure it's understandable how she'd be frustrated by them and demand more. However they believed they were the only important ones on their shows and allowed the golden goose to be killed and served up for dinner!!

by Anonymousreply 164November 19, 2017 11:18 PM

Hearts Afire wasn't really a big hit. It lasted three seasons. I do know that I truly loved the show. It was really well done. Markie Post and John Ritter had great chemistry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165November 20, 2017 12:07 AM

Annie Potts replaced Susan Dey in Love & War. Her character was a 180 from Mary Jo Shively and she was great in it.

by Anonymousreply 166November 20, 2017 12:30 AM

R164 yes but you said in a previous response that Julia Duffy was under contract to CBS which is a 100% LIE because Duffy was under contract to ABC (as she was doing the show Baby Talk)

So if you got Julia Duffy contract ownership 100% WRONG how can we trust you with the Lorna Patterson story?

We can't.

by Anonymousreply 167November 20, 2017 12:36 AM

Barbara Harris was going to play Tessie Tura in Gypsy. Christine Ebersole was going to be Miss Cratchitt. When Harris left they moved Ebersole up to Tura and hired Andrea Martin for Cratchitt.

by Anonymousreply 168November 20, 2017 12:46 AM

I love Barbara Harris, but she was nearly 60 when the Midler Gypsy aired. Playing a stripper? I'm not sure how well that would've worked.

by Anonymousreply 169November 20, 2017 10:49 AM

[quote]Roseanne Barr replaced Joan Rivers in Look Who's Talking Two as the voice of the baby daughter.

But did Rivers actually record anything for Look Who's Talking Too? I know she was the voice of the baby at the very end of the first movie but I assumed Roseanne was hired for the sequel since she was a bigger name at the time.

Also in one of Rivers' autobiographies, she claimed to have written all the baby's jokes and dialogue for the first movie and I can find no mention of that anywhere online. Anyone know the real story?

by Anonymousreply 170November 20, 2017 10:06 PM

Sarah Jessica Parker was supposed to play the lead female in Vacancy, the thriller costarring Luke Wilson. The movie might have actually been a hit had she been in it, because she would have pulled in more of a female crowd than Kate Beckinsale, whom I'm not sure anyone knows or cares about outside of those shitty Underworld movies.

by Anonymousreply 171November 20, 2017 11:40 PM

The story about Dudley Moore being replaced on The Mirror has two faces was sad...the stories were at the time was he was a drunk, but he was sadly deteriorating.

by Anonymousreply 172November 21, 2017 6:51 AM

r169 the strippers are usually pretty old. They aren't supposed to be A List strippers like Louise becomes.

by Anonymousreply 173November 21, 2017 6:57 AM

When Mike Nichols was going to film Nora Ephron's autobigraphical novel Heartburn, about her break up from Carl Bernestein, he wanted Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep for the leads but Nicholson had another commitment. So he gave the part to Mandy Patinkin. During the table reads and rehearsals, Patinkin was so eccentric and erratic the rest of the cast had trouble working with him. The first day of shooting, he refused to follow Nichols carefully planned out blocking and ruined nearly every shot by doing things like walking out of the frame. The second day of shooting, he started giving Streep notes on her performance between takes.

Meanwhile, Nicholson's project had fallen through and he was available. Patinkin didn't get a third day of shooting.

by Anonymousreply 174November 21, 2017 8:12 AM

Keith Moon was furious when they had to scrap Karen Carpenter's footage of the 'Acid Queen' in 'Pinball Wizard,' and replace her with Elton John. It lead to his death and her anorexia.

by Anonymousreply 175November 7, 2019 11:33 AM

People know who Kate Beckinsale is.

by Anonymousreply 176November 7, 2019 12:13 PM

R78 R80 Who was Bat ata Harris going to play in Gypsy????

by Anonymousreply 177November 7, 2019 12:16 PM

[Quote] Husbands and Wives – Emily Lloyd couldn’t master an American accent no matter how hard she tried in her filmed scenes. Woody Allen wasn’t satisfied, fired her and replaced her with Juliette Lewis

I seem to recall Woody saw Juliette in the seduction scene with an older man de Niro in Cape Fear and immediately replaced Emily with her.

by Anonymousreply 178November 7, 2019 12:18 PM

Kubrick wanted to replace Shelley Winters in Lolita because she was such a pain the arse but they had shot too much footage and he didn't want to re-shoot. This was before he got totally anal.

by Anonymousreply 179November 7, 2019 12:30 PM

Glad this thread was bumped, lots of good stories

by Anonymousreply 180November 7, 2019 12:32 PM

The original Daenarys was fired after they filmed the pilot and Emilia Clarke was brought on to replace her.

The original Willow was fired after they shot the Buffy pilot and Alyson Hannigan was brought in to replace her.

by Anonymousreply 181November 7, 2019 12:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!