Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

French Film BEATS PER MINUTE

About Act UP in Paris. With the threads about GOD'S OWN COUNTRY (very good) and CMBYN, I wonder if anyone has seen this one as well. Reviews are generally excellent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 9, 2019 4:01 PM

What a wonderful, heartbreaking, invigorating film. I saw it tonight and cannot recommend it highly enough.

"The Square" did not deserve the Palme d'Or over "BPM."

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2017 3:51 AM

Is this film flying under everyone's radar?

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2017 1:46 AM

R2 Critics love it but DLers... not so much. I guess everyone expects it to be a depressing movie when it's really not.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2017 1:48 AM

[quote]when it's really not.

I agree. I found it incredibly life-affirming.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2017 1:51 AM

Only one cinema in NYC is showing it. I'm surprised no one else has picked this up.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2017 1:52 AM

The Russian film "Loveless," a fellow Cannes competitor, was also better than "The Square."

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2017 1:56 AM

Links actual people's lives to important social movements.

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2017 3:10 AM

@BarryJenkins ‏ ...BPM is also just a really terrific damn film. And it’s deceptive because the “beats” are so very big and “dramatic” and yet... there’s so much of what seasoned dimplomats refer to as “soft power” at play. Little gestures of the eye (the characters’ and ours) that flutter by

by Anonymousreply 8December 29, 2017 11:20 AM

I'm just gonna post all of Jenkins' thoughts on this movie:

[quote]So... BPM is pretty damn extraordinary

[quote]Between SUGARMAN so soundly besting HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE and this not even making the shortlist, I truly don’t know what to make of it all....

[quote]And while it is IMPORTANT AS HELL, especially right now, to see a film based on factual events featuring YOUNG PEOPLE literally fighting for their lives, fighting for all our lives honestly, against bigotry and bigoted bureaucratic policy (not to mention corporate greed)...

[quote]...while all that is super important and SUPER relevant for folks young and old NOW to see embedded within a work of art... just the symbolic importance and POWER of a body recognizing and showcasing THAT in and of itself...

[quote]...BPM is also just a really terrific damn film. And it’s deceptive because the “beats” are so very big and “dramatic” and yet... there’s so much of what seasoned diplomats refer to as “soft power” at play. Little gestures of the eye (the characters’ and ours) that flutter by

[quote]Obviously I loved it. And I just wonder how this not THE film of the moment? Is it because we’re shown cum on a dying man’s chest? We placed it in the sand in Moonlight because that felt true and natural in the environment but... maybe @guylodge has a point 👀

[quote]But here we are: the artists continue on and so I can only thank Robin Campillo and everyone for making this wonderful film. As someone who’s mother was diagnosed HIV+ in the early 90s and IS STILL WITH US, I’m biased and thankful for ACT UP and this moving testament to them 🙌🏿

by Anonymousreply 9December 29, 2017 11:32 AM

Oh, I forgot these two:

[quote]Fuuuuuuuuuuug I just had to pause BPM because this scene just destroyed me. DE.....STROYED. I shouldn’t drink because it’s late but I need to room service a glass of something before I head back in. Damn.

[quote]No, the very simple scene where they’re discussing moving in together. The patience and sensitivity of the dialogue, so many layers in what’s said, such care. And the juxtaposition with what’s visually occurring on screen. I have my wine now. I needed it after that. WOW

I love him.

by Anonymousreply 10December 29, 2017 11:34 AM

I wonder if they’ll use the word “queer”. Can DLers handle that?

by Anonymousreply 11December 29, 2017 12:03 PM

Cum on a dying man’s chest??? Is there something you bitches haven’t told me about CMBYN???

by Anonymousreply 12December 29, 2017 12:04 PM

R12 Ha! I had to read that part twice before I figured he was referring to BPM, not trash talking CMBYN. Which he liked but doesn't really talk about on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 13December 29, 2017 12:21 PM

[quote]Which he liked but doesn't really talk about on Twitter.

I spoke too soon and would just like to leave this here for posterity:

[quote]CALL ME BY YOUR NAME — sweetness without a trace of sentimentality; a work made without fear of sentimentality. Sweetness beside sex. Sex that transmutes love. An intellectually rigorous examination that never loses warmth. Earnest, mature and endearing the whole way through.

[quote]Refreshing to see a work that aligns curiosity, fear and courage side by side, image to image, human beings drifting from one emotion to the next and back, revealing and retreating from themselves, from life; all of us capable of so much, but allowing ourselves so very little.

[quote]And I’m glad I waited to see it in a theatre. Had no idea it was shot on emulsion. I may be reaching, but there’s a tension between the grain and the focus here. A delicate tension for sure. A struggle to resolve. A fleeting, elegiac struggle to resolve.

I do find it funny that he praised it the day after Luca Guadagnino praised Moonlight in an interview for IndieWire. That's just how the biz works, I guess.

Anyway, back to the great [bold]BPM[/bold]!

by Anonymousreply 14December 30, 2017 12:45 AM

Excellent!

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2018 5:44 AM

Je l'adore!

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2018 7:06 AM

It's on torrent

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2018 7:13 AM

Direct Links:

120 BPM (2017) BRRip 720p

120 BPM (2017) BRRip 1080p

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2018 7:14 AM

passionate and defiant account of 80s Aids activism

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2018 8:24 AM

Ordered it. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2018 9:08 AM

A good film and an important one, although my head hurt from all of them talking over each for over two hours straight.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2018 9:37 PM

Saw it last night. Exceptional, truly incredible performances, unbelievably moving without melodrama or mawkishness. What a gift it is to just be alive today. And what immense gratitude is owed to those warriors who fought and lived and died while the plague raged around them.

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2018 9:48 PM

Film mostly depicts French people arguing with one another, in unflattering lighting and lots of sick-making camera moves.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2018 9:57 PM

I just can't with the AIDS movies.

I was deeply traumatized by them as a kid and young adult and just can't anymore.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2018 10:09 PM

Try living through it, snowflake.

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2018 10:52 PM

The French talked and smoked too much, it's nauseating. The film was such a boring gabfest.

by Anonymousreply 26October 9, 2019 4:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!