Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lady Bird (2017)

A comedy, written and directed by Greta Gerwig. Starring Saoirse Ronan, Laurie Metcalf, Lucas Hedges, Lois Smith...

Flawless score on RottenTomatoes. The trailer isn't all that, is it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 25, 2018 6:35 AM

I thought this was about our beloved First Lady, but this seems fun, too.

by Anonymousreply 1November 4, 2017 2:08 PM

I love Laurie Metcalf.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 2November 4, 2017 2:20 PM

Thanks, R1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 4, 2017 2:28 PM

I saw this trailer at a movie (Geostorm) that we went and saw last night and it really wasn't very interesting. From the trailer alone I wouldn't go and see it.

by Anonymousreply 4November 4, 2017 2:33 PM

There was some nasty business surrounding Gerwig's affair with Noah Baumbach while Jennifer Jason Leigh was pregnant with his child so I'm still kinda unsure whether I want to financially support people like that.

Seems like a very safe straight white people movie to me. I'll probably stream it later as I love Lois Smith. She had her 87th birthday just yesterday!

by Anonymousreply 5November 4, 2017 2:36 PM

It's superb. Really funny, really charming, incredibly real. The cast is first-rate from start to finish. A must-see, and I'm surprised to be saying that.

by Anonymousreply 6November 4, 2017 3:17 PM

Agree that the cast was first-rate. Lady BIrd will bolster Timothee Chalamet's Oscar prospects for Call Me By Your Name as his role in LB is very different from the role of Elio.

by Anonymousreply 7November 4, 2017 3:27 PM

R7,

I thought the same thing. We've seen that many a time, when an actor has a big year with more than one major film that shows a range.

by Anonymousreply 8November 4, 2017 3:31 PM

I have always disliked Gerwig as an actress

by Anonymousreply 9November 4, 2017 3:55 PM

Whenever I see lady bird Johnson. I always get the sudden urge to want to go out and by a box of cheez-it's, for some reason. Never fails either.

by Anonymousreply 10November 4, 2017 4:22 PM

R. 9--Since she is not in the movie, feel free to go and enjoy it as 100% of the critics on Rotten Tomatoes did.

by Anonymousreply 11November 4, 2017 4:35 PM

Actually the trailer is all that. It suggests that there is some there there and that this may be the next Juno. The movie, however, is not the next Juno. I didn't dislike it but I was very disappointed. There is no there there. It's a coming of age story without a coming of age. I'm completely nonplussed by the critical acclaim. The cast does what they can (in this case, a whole lot!) but they are all stymied by the static script which.

At the end - spoiler alert -

Ronan gets in to NYU, flies to NY, gets drunk, ends up in the hospital, goes to church, calls home and leaves a message telling Metcalf she loves her. Her finally embracing her given name, Christine, is meant to tell us that she's evolved. But she hasn't evolved at all. Some may say that's the point, but how is that point anything but pointless? Her relationships with Hedges and Chalamett are trite. Her relationships with Fieldstein and the rich girl are trite. Her relationship with Metcalf starts out mildly intriguing but goes nowhere. Metcalf's anger over Ronan wanting to get in to a good East Coast school is completely unconvincing. And if Metcalf can't make something convincing, it's not.

Some lovely little moments and some very Gerwig-ish charming lines dot the movie. But they do not a movie make.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2017 7:48 AM

Anything Gerwig does....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2017 7:54 AM

I saw Lady Bird today and thought it was absolutely wonderful. It very much deserves its universal acclaim. Brava to Greta Gerwig. I hope she gets some personal Oscar nominations in addition to the ones that should come for Ronan and Metcalf. The mother-daughter relationship was done beautifully. And Lucas Hedges was absolutely adorable. I read that he had his choice of the two young man roles—glad he chose Danny. I have no doubt that Chalamet is brilliant in Call Me By Your Name, but he didn’t really register in this one.

by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2017 8:56 PM

Gerwig is a bitch and a homewrecker

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2017 9:11 PM

Is this the obligatory indie film that gets Oscar nominations that everyone loves now, but will discover its mediocrity after the Oscars are over.

by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2017 9:29 PM

I liked it more than Brooklyn which I found predictable as fuck. It reminded me of my very volatile relationship with my mother in my teens that (in my early 30s) I can't remember why we were always fighting. Get along fine now.

I will say, as great as Laurie Metcalf is, it's a stretch to buy her as the mother of a teenager at this point.

Lucas Hedges is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2017 9:46 PM

R17, the movie did say that Metcalf’s character had the baby when she was over 40.

by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2017 9:50 PM

Bump, as this film is being discussed in other threads as well.

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2017 11:42 AM

Saw. It yesterday. LOVED it.

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2017 11:50 AM

Damn, its RottenTomatoes score remains perfect even after 147 reviews. However, we'll see if its average rating of 8.8 still trails behind CMBYN's 9.1 once the final wave of reviews for that one comes out.

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2017 11:56 AM

I hated the lead character. She was so annoying. I kept hoping the movie would leave her behind and follow the best friend character or the Lucas Hedges character. I just did not want to spend anymore time with Lady Bird. Laurie Metcalf was great however.

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2017 12:52 PM

I didn't even like the trailer. I need to watch a "family drama" movie around the holidays like I need a hole in the head. I'll see enough of that at Thanksgiving dinner.

by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2017 1:10 PM

Must be somewhat autobiographical (obnoxious Sacramento girl yearns to go East to be an artiste). Noah Brumbach's Frances Ha from 2012 was based on Greta's real background too.

by Anonymousreply 24November 19, 2017 1:47 PM

I'm confused - Is Saoirse playing Marcus Bachmann?

by Anonymousreply 25November 19, 2017 4:51 PM

there's nothing i hate more than "quirky" coming of age stories about white "neurotic" girls made by white "neurotic" girls. That trailer is heinous.

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2017 10:48 PM

I’d love to see Laurie Metcalf win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2017 11:42 AM

It has surpassed CMBYN with an average rating of 9.4 by Top Critics on Rotten Tomatoes. FINISH IT!

by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2017 3:56 PM

How twee is the movie?

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2017 3:59 PM

[quote] I love Lois Smith. She had her 87th birthday just yesterday!

Ahhh...Lois when young : )

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2017 4:20 PM

ffsss

by Anonymousreply 31November 22, 2017 2:45 AM

I hate movies about quirky, bratty she-imps.

I also hate movies with a one-note bickering/whining theme all through the movie.

And I haven't been impressed by anything Mumblecore princess Gerwig has done.

by Anonymousreply 32November 22, 2017 2:55 AM

Someone in another thread mentioned Armond White. And really, where the fuck is he? We can usually depend on him to shit up a perfect RT score. No way he isn't tempted after seeing that glossy 100%. And it's all white people as well so it's prime material for ripping apart. Come on, Armond, come through!

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2017 8:38 PM

Is the cinematography excessively dark and muddy? Or was that just the print I saw at my little indie theater?

by Anonymousreply 34November 25, 2017 3:30 PM

Dreadful movie. Don't go.

by Anonymousreply 35November 25, 2017 3:34 PM

Wonderful movie. Definitely one of the best of the year.

by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2017 3:36 PM

Are you male or female, R36?

by Anonymousreply 37November 25, 2017 3:38 PM

R37, male.

by Anonymousreply 38November 25, 2017 3:39 PM

Mediocre. Perfectly ok for a dull Saturday afternoon's viewing if you have nothing better to do.

by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2017 3:40 PM

Unbelievable, r38.

by Anonymousreply 40November 25, 2017 3:40 PM

I've seen better episodes of sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 41November 25, 2017 3:41 PM

It didn't even work as a Catholic school satire (though it may simply be the case that Catholic school satire has been OVAH! for a good three decades).

by Anonymousreply 42November 25, 2017 3:43 PM

The trailer is a complete bore as is the trailer for that german movie.

by Anonymousreply 43November 25, 2017 3:47 PM

Loved the movie- very moving and funny account of the transition from the last stages of childhood into adulthood. No one in the movie is portrayed as completely good or bad, and the parent/child dynamic rings very true.

I loved the many smaller roles, especially the drama club priest. Question for the theatre queens: why does he make the comment that they don't understand "Merrily We Roll Along"? I'm not that familiar with Sondheim but now I'm going to get a recording.

by Anonymousreply 44November 25, 2017 4:19 PM

Speaking of sitcoms, Lois was on last week's "9JKL" with DL fave Linda Lavin.

by Anonymousreply 45November 25, 2017 8:45 PM

I liked the movie but there is no there there.

by Anonymousreply 46November 26, 2017 10:32 AM

BTW, The Florida Project sucks as well. Don't see it unless you think small screaming, cursing children are fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 47November 26, 2017 10:57 AM

I saw it yesterday and based on all the raves I'd read beforehand I was expecting a heck of a lot more than I got. For me it was just okay. There were a lot of nice moments in the film but I found the end to be anti-climactic. As the credits started to roll I was thinking "that's it?".

by Anonymousreply 48November 26, 2017 12:03 PM

We are all desperate for intelligent and revelatory films and this is what we get these days.

by Anonymousreply 49November 26, 2017 1:55 PM

Horrible movie. Stupid, with bad performances and cunts splayed in every direction.

by Anonymousreply 50November 26, 2017 2:09 PM

It doesn’t surprise me that the misogynists of DL would dislike this film, but it does surprise me that they would watch it in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 51November 26, 2017 2:14 PM

Oscar will be calling for Laurie Metcalf. Her only other competition will be Allison Janney for Tonya.

by Anonymousreply 52November 26, 2017 2:32 PM

It was supposed to be good, r51.

by Anonymousreply 53November 26, 2017 2:46 PM

And it is, R53. Excellent writing, directing, and acting.

by Anonymousreply 54November 26, 2017 3:13 PM

I will never understand what you, or anyone, thought was "excellent," r54. I sat through Lady Bird, and my major reaction at the end was gladness it was only an hour and a half. I didn't even sit through the credits, and [italic]I always sit through the credits [/italic] .

by Anonymousreply 55November 26, 2017 3:32 PM

[quote] Gerwig is a bitch and a homewrecker

The shameless hussy!

by Anonymousreply 56November 26, 2017 11:36 PM

I found it serviceable, with some truly funny moments, elevated by the acting.

I thought the film COLUMBUS, which came and went very quietly earlier this year, was much better—truer, more deeply felt, while exploring similar themes as LADY BIRD. I really recommend it. Gorgeously shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 26, 2017 11:45 PM

*SPOILER SPOILER*

The ending jarred me because I thought the hospital bill that's coming which will surely bankrupt her parents would be acknowledged—but it's elided over.

by Anonymousreply 58November 26, 2017 11:49 PM

r58, I'm pretty sure she was sent to the campus hospital. Her college health insurance should cover it.

by Anonymousreply 59November 27, 2017 11:01 AM

r51, that's your response to someone's not liking this movie, to call them names?

by Anonymousreply 60December 4, 2017 2:05 AM

Hasw anyone here seen LADYBIRD, LADYBIRD (1994) ?

Amazing acting. I would suggest that...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 4, 2017 2:25 AM

I don't like how they have her opening the door and going out of a moving car because that will actually kill you. And this movie is aimed at young people who may copy.

by Anonymousreply 62December 4, 2017 2:48 AM

R62, Mary, kids are not going to suddenly start flinging themselves from moving cars because a character in an independent film did it.

by Anonymousreply 63December 4, 2017 3:11 AM

Some might

by Anonymousreply 64December 4, 2017 3:17 AM

Gerwig in a bizarre skit on the Saoirse Ronan episode of SNL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 4, 2017 3:29 AM

Watching Lucas Hedges always makes me wonder if he has relatives on Walton's mountain.

by Anonymousreply 66December 4, 2017 3:48 AM

Greta's a cunt, Noah's a cunt. Love Jennifer Jason Leigh.

FUCK LADY BIRD

by Anonymousreply 67December 4, 2017 4:27 AM

Is this movie a middle-class/poorer version of Gilmore Girls?

by Anonymousreply 68December 4, 2017 6:48 AM

I loved it. The gay reveal was a nice twist and I cried like a little bitch when he begged the titular character not to reveal his sexuality. It was a subplot, but I'm surprised that 68 posts in, no one has mentioned it. Growing up in a lower middle class family, this film hit home.

by Anonymousreply 69December 10, 2017 5:29 AM

[bold]Lady Bird Tops Moonlight to Become A24’s Highest Grossing Release[/bold]

[quote]Fresh data from Box Office Mojo reveals that Lady Bird has passed Moonlight to become A24’s new highest-grossing picture. It passed $28.3 million, compared to $27.8 million for the latter. Lady Bird can expect more success moving forward; it hasn’t yet had a full international release. Moonlight saw a 227 percent increase in box office revenue the weekend after winning Best Picture, so it will be interesting to see what some potential awards success would do for Lady Bird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 25, 2017 11:24 AM

this movie is GREAT

by Anonymousreply 71December 29, 2017 6:35 AM

I agree with R71. In fact, that was my first thought after the end -- this is like a more expensive ABC After-School Special.

I hated Manchester by the Sea as well. Boring!

Doesn't anyone with a brain write scripts anymore? Here's hoping Molly's Game and The Post will be better -- but I'm not banking on it.

by Anonymousreply 72January 2, 2018 8:08 PM

I wanted to like this more than I did. I’ve pretty much loved every performance Saoirse Ronan has ever given and this was no exception. I’m thrilled that Laurie Metcalf is getting some much deserved recognition. The film itself seemed a bit amateurish and paint-by-numbers. This is getting a lot comparisons to Juno (2007), but that film is much better than this.

by Anonymousreply 73January 2, 2018 8:20 PM

Sweet movie, but I don't get all the acclaim. But then this year seems to be a bit weak. Dunkirk Best Picture? Okay.....

I love Ronan as an actress but don't think this is Oscar worthy. It felt like a long My So-Called Life episode. I biggest disappointment was Laurie Metcalf - not that she isn't good, she's always good cause she's a fantastic actress - but I would definitely pick Allison Janney in I, Tonia who gives a classic, laugh out loud Oscar type performance. Rarely do you love a character SO hateful.

by Anonymousreply 74January 2, 2018 8:30 PM

[quote]I hate movies about quirky, bratty she-imps.

[quote]I also hate movies with a one-note bickering/whining theme all through the movie.

[quote]And I haven't been impressed by anything Mumblecore princess Gerwig has done.

I agree with all of these statements, but despite myself, I really loved this movie. I found it genuinely moving and funny. Lucas Hedges was adorable and just gay enough for it all to work. And Chalamet's orgasm arms cracked me up. Funny stuff.

Oh, and I absolutely loved Tracy Letts in a determinedly unshowy performance. His work was so simple and true. That’s a real actor.

by Anonymousreply 75January 2, 2018 8:36 PM

If data lounge hated it it must be a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 76January 3, 2018 5:07 AM

Yeah, that SNL office racing skit is certainly interesting. It almost plays like some writer's bizarre fetish or something. The music sounds like a reworked version of the main theme from "Teen Wolf (1985)."

by Anonymousreply 77January 7, 2018 1:15 PM

It's getting an extra boost because of the massive Women in Film thing. If it had been written and directed by a man it would not be receiving these raves.

by Anonymousreply 78January 7, 2018 1:23 PM

Can't believe this basic movie is being considered for BP. It just isn't "artsy" enough for me even for the BP nom.

From the inventive lighting and the formal structure of Moonlight to... this, in a year. Honestly, I'd much rather they gave it to the depressing Dunkirk instead.

by Anonymousreply 79January 7, 2018 2:18 PM

Most overrated movie of the year.

by Anonymousreply 80January 7, 2018 2:23 PM

"It's getting an extra boost because of the massive Women in Film thing. If it had been written and directed by a man it would not be receiving these raves."

Yeah, that's why 95% of critically acclaimed films are directed by men. Sad to see this kind of prejudice on a gay board

by Anonymousreply 81January 7, 2018 3:07 PM

When women want a place at the table, they better be able to take the heat the way men always have.

by Anonymousreply 82January 7, 2018 3:11 PM

Lady Bird is a token nod to women filmmakers. Let's honor more accomplished films by women directors, not this bit of fluff.

by Anonymousreply 83January 7, 2018 3:13 PM

r82, who says men can take the heat? Plenty of men in showbiz are thin-skinned. Plenty of men outside showbiz are thin-skinned, just look at our president.

by Anonymousreply 84January 7, 2018 3:15 PM

R81 I don't believe it's getting the acclaim only because it has a female director but I do think it's getting some leeway for some of the clunkier aspects of the script and camerawork. It should be treated as a directorial debut, not some revelatory filmmaking. Reward Gerwig for better work when she has some mileage in her because all this fawning right now just feels a tad patronizing.

by Anonymousreply 85January 7, 2018 3:17 PM

R85 - My sentiments exactly.

by Anonymousreply 86January 7, 2018 3:18 PM

Give this Gerwig gal time to ripen.

by Anonymousreply 87January 7, 2018 3:20 PM

She didn't even get a Golden Globe nomination for Best Director - all five nominees are male. So much for people bending over backwards to award female filmmakers.

by Anonymousreply 88January 7, 2018 3:23 PM

Clunky directing. Shoulda reeled in Laurie Metcalf's scenery chewing.

by Anonymousreply 89January 7, 2018 3:25 PM

The problem with Laurie Metcalf was the writing, not Laurie Metcalf. The mother was a complete cunt.

by Anonymousreply 90January 7, 2018 3:33 PM

The mother was cartoonish.

by Anonymousreply 91January 7, 2018 3:35 PM

There's something about Greta Gerwig that annoys me. She's the quirky, kooky, NYC girl, a la Diane Keaton 2.0. I've heard this movie is good & there's no doubt Ronan is an excellent actress and if she doesn't win the Academy Award this round, she will soon, but Gerwig is a big turn off.

by Anonymousreply 92January 7, 2018 3:47 PM

Gerwig makes me think of earwig.

by Anonymousreply 93January 7, 2018 3:52 PM

The score was AMAZING!

by Anonymousreply 94January 7, 2018 3:52 PM

Sound editing was TO DIE FOR!

by Anonymousreply 95January 7, 2018 3:56 PM

To Die For was TO DIE FOR!

by Anonymousreply 96January 7, 2018 3:58 PM

Hey, this is all about me!

by Anonymousreply 97January 7, 2018 4:00 PM

I hope Dunkirk wins.

by Anonymousreply 98January 7, 2018 4:57 PM

Whiny, wannabe dramedy, autobiographical about how boring Greta Gerwig didn't want to be from a low-class family.

by Anonymousreply 99January 7, 2018 5:11 PM

I'll stick with the song, thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 7, 2018 6:10 PM

Gerwig was interviewed on CBS this morning. She's so plain. Horrible gums, fat ass but I noticed she always had on low cut shirts flaunting her saggy boobs.

by Anonymousreply 101January 7, 2018 6:48 PM

r101, I'd like to see a picture of you. I guess some gay guys who hate women feel the need to attack women for their appearance (even ones who are liberal and gay-friendly)

by Anonymousreply 102January 8, 2018 4:08 PM

R102 you're on the DL here. If you can't take it, there's always the Mary Sue..

by Anonymousreply 103January 8, 2018 4:59 PM

I liked it very much, but though it had its humorous moments, I would hardly classify it as a "comedy".

by Anonymousreply 104January 8, 2018 5:10 PM

r103, you are confusing genuine wit with being a dumb, shallow queen.

by Anonymousreply 105January 9, 2018 12:40 AM

She can't do grown-up things. She is stuck in childhood, adolescence and early 20s cutesy "quirkiness" like the cutesy hipster types.

by Anonymousreply 106January 9, 2018 12:49 AM

The very definition of Twee. Glad it is peaking early. Frances for the Oscar win.

by Anonymousreply 107January 9, 2018 12:55 AM

I finally saw this today and LOVED it. A true piece of brilliance. Even though this is Gerwig's solo directorial debut show has co-wrote and co-directed several other films, so this really feels more mature than one might expect. The performances were perfect and the script a true gem. I adored it from start to finish. Cried during Hedges' scene at the coffee shop alley and when Metcalf was at the airport. Perfect.

Gerwig turned in a remarkable performance in Frances Ha, one of the best films of the past decade. She also was great in Mistress America. Glad she's getting all the praise she deserves. Wish more movies like this came out each year.

by Anonymousreply 108January 13, 2018 11:38 PM

I can't understand the praise for this film. It looks like it was shot with some high school kid's Christmas camera and the whole thing is just second rate IMHO. We really celebrate second rate shit these days.

by Anonymousreply 109January 13, 2018 11:52 PM

[quote]It looks like it was shot with some high school kid's Christmas camera

That might be because Lady Bird was one of those rare independent films that hit it big, much like Three Billboards. If you were expecting Shape of Water-like cinematography, look elsewhere. I thought it was a beautiful film and it resonated well with me on two fronts: the closeted gay boy storyline and the mom drama.

by Anonymousreply 110January 14, 2018 12:22 AM

I found the movie to be very endearing and I identified immediately with the somewhat unlikable lead played by Saoirse Ronan. High school was brutal and many of us wanted to be hotter, richer and generally more appealing than we were. Many friendships were ruined over the petty need to climb the social ladder and so many white lies and poor choices were peddled in order to do so. As adults, we can look back and laugh at the stupidity of our actions - but in that moment it seemed that life depended on very trivial things. Most of us can remember the Hell that was high school and the need to fit in somewhere better than where we began - in 9th grade (or in my case the 7th grade - small, private religious school). The dynamics between the characters were all very real to me anecdotally. It is a beautiful little film - not groundbreaking but very poignant, nostalgic and sweet nonetheless. I highly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 111August 25, 2018 6:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!