Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Morrissey's Latino Fan Base

The one and only conversation I had with a Latino guy I work with was when he came up to me when"That's Entertainment" by Morrissey was playing on my computer. It is also common to see otherwise typically masculine "straight" Mexican-American guys with "MORRISSEY" stickers actually on the paint of their cars.

I like some of his solo music and with the Smiths, but he's hard to take in long doses.

Anyone Morrissey fans have any idea why he's so popular down South?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 5, 2018 2:33 AM

That's Entertainment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 29, 2017 4:12 AM

I went to school with a lot of Mexican-American guys, and this is true.

The greaser look was pretty in during my HS years, too ('98-02).

by Anonymousreply 2October 29, 2017 4:52 AM

Absolutely true. Not only for Mexican Americans but those still in Mexico. It can't just be because of the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 29, 2017 4:55 AM

I think it's because he's a crooner.

by Anonymousreply 4October 29, 2017 6:01 AM

I like his music with the Smiths better than his solo stuff.

by Anonymousreply 5October 29, 2017 6:04 AM

Maybe because Morrissey is sort of a throwback to the James Dean era of Americana, when men wore a lot of Pomade and pompadours.

by Anonymousreply 6October 29, 2017 9:16 PM

From what I've heard Morrissey seems to fancy young Mexican boys, and judging by his quick defense of Kevin Spacey I'm sure some of them have been underage. That being said, I would love to see Morrissey taken down and slammed by the media in the same way. I can't stand his moany, sullen self-righteousness.

by Anonymousreply 7December 26, 2017 5:47 PM

I think that's why he spends a lot of time in LA.

by Anonymousreply 8December 30, 2017 4:46 AM

Ew, leave Morrissey alone, reply 7!

by Anonymousreply 9December 30, 2017 4:51 AM

I'm not the hugest Morrissey fan, but I have a lot of respect for him for being so outspoken on animal rights and making "meat is murder' a well-known phrase.

by Anonymousreply 10December 30, 2017 4:58 AM

Haters gonna hate. The Smiths are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 11December 30, 2017 5:01 AM

[quote]masculine "straight" Mexican-American guys with "MORRISSEY" stickers actually on the paint of their cars.

masculine "straight" Mexicans? lol

There is a reason why the Spaniards coined their men "mechanical bulls," and it was not because of Mexico's recent ban on bullfighting.

Basically every other Latino has taken a turn...

by Anonymousreply 12December 30, 2017 5:04 AM

Latin Americans AND angry, straight white guys..like my brother.

Funny-Morrissey the long-time celibate (errmm..) that most people would consider gay even if he was discovered in the sack with the First Lady. Someone both groups would have delighted in tormenting half to death.

I think both groups are conflicted..

by Anonymousreply 13December 30, 2017 5:07 AM

He’s brilliant. Viva Moz!

by Anonymousreply 14December 30, 2017 5:10 AM

"Lost" is a good song that doesn't get much airplay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 1, 2018 3:07 AM

R12 every other is still a lot that haven't.

by Anonymousreply 16January 1, 2018 3:10 AM

They probably haven’t heard him speak at length and don’t realise what a pretentious wanker he is.

by Anonymousreply 17January 1, 2018 3:15 AM

I remember the first Coachella (1999!), where Morrissey played, and all his fans were Latino. It was a puzzlement. They were all dressed like the 50's/60's went through a goth phase.

by Anonymousreply 18January 1, 2018 3:18 AM

[quote]From what I've heard Morrissey seems to fancy young Mexican boys

Sure you heard that. Was it from your relative who works in Hollywood and always calls Steven Spielberg a perv every time you mention him but never tells why?

by Anonymousreply 19January 1, 2018 3:20 AM

R7? How are you “sure some of them have been underage”?

Why in the world do you think it’s okay to just randomly accuse someone you don’t even fucking know of fucking minors?!

Just say you don’t like him. Jesus fucking Christ.

by Anonymousreply 20January 1, 2018 3:30 AM

[quote]Just say you don’t like him. Jesus fucking Christ.

r20 This is DL. It says "pointless bitchery" in the home page, therefore it's OK to defame all gay celebrities as pedophiles.

Not that I agree with it, but that's how DL rols.

by Anonymousreply 21January 1, 2018 5:23 AM

* rolls

by Anonymousreply 22January 1, 2018 5:23 AM

So what ?

by Anonymousreply 23January 1, 2018 5:27 AM

The 80s came late to Mexico. There are several 80s bands that have only become big down there since 2000ish. I don’t know why, but it’s the new Japan.

by Anonymousreply 24January 1, 2018 5:41 AM

When he plays the Hollywood Bowl about 50% of the audience is Latino.

by Anonymousreply 25January 1, 2018 5:45 AM

Latino men take pride in their hair which is why they respond to Tony Manero and Saturday Night Fever and Morrissey back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 26January 2, 2018 2:25 AM

So, you guys are saying, that because Morrissey wore a Pompadour almost thirty years ago,that Latinos continue to buy his concert tickets & music?

Maybe they just like his music?

I do.

They happen to love the Pet Shop Boys as well.

by Anonymousreply 27January 2, 2018 5:59 PM

Oh fank you for explaining that R21.

by Anonymousreply 28January 2, 2018 6:01 PM

He's got a lot of great singles but he is hard to take in large doses

by Anonymousreply 29January 3, 2018 1:33 AM

R29 I agree. Nobody has also ever had the heart to tell Morrisey he is nowhere near as famous as he believes himself to be.

by Anonymousreply 30January 3, 2018 1:44 AM

I always assume a macho Latino guy who's really into Morrissey has sucked dick at least once.

by Anonymousreply 31January 6, 2018 1:50 AM

Cholo fanbase in tatters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 9, 2018 3:50 PM

When I lived in LA the Mexicans and Mexican Americans were crazy for him and The Smith's. There were night at certain bars just dedicated to that era of music. They had the look down and everything. Very interesting. Lucky for me, a lot of those guys were bi... :)

by Anonymousreply 33November 9, 2018 6:21 PM

Never cared for his effete and mopey style. His music doesn't rock.

I have "Shoplifters of the World Unite" and "Sheila Take A Bow" on my Alternapop '80s playlist because he was significant back then.

My favorite song is "Cemetery Gates," which I have on my Halloween playlist. It's a pleasant song that makes a nice, tonal reprieve from all the gloom and heavy metal songs on that playlist.

But overall, Morrissey Rides a Cockhorse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 9, 2018 6:58 PM

There was a really good documentary on this topic about 10 to 15 years ago. Can't recall the name.

by Anonymousreply 35November 9, 2018 7:57 PM

r20 The same way many straight men are called gay on this site. Your only evidence? That you fancy them.

by Anonymousreply 36November 9, 2018 8:47 PM

Because they are legs-up bottoms and Morrissey appeals to that demographic

by Anonymousreply 37November 9, 2018 9:33 PM

All of these Latino men want to fellate Morrissey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 10, 2018 5:19 AM

When travelling in Brazil, I bought a ticket to see him perform from a scalper in Rio. The crowd loved him, and I assume he felt the love because there were no tantrums or flounce offs from Moz.

by Anonymousreply 39November 10, 2018 5:46 AM

I've observed a lot of polished Latinos at Depeche Mode shows too.

by Anonymousreply 40November 10, 2018 5:57 AM

"[R20] The same way many straight men are called gay on this site. Your only evidence? That you fancy them."

This sounds like Vegas Maid logic. You know answering a question with a stupid irrelevant false equivalency.

And this really is her brain operating at optimum capacity.

But then, this is a woman of advanced middle age who voluntarily posts creepy photos of herself sitting on a mall Santa's lap and somehow that's proof that she's a young gamine of a starlet.

Optimum capacity.

by Anonymousreply 41November 10, 2018 6:10 AM

Catholic Irish are similar to Catholic Mexicans.

by Anonymousreply 42November 10, 2018 6:20 AM

R34, what other bands do you like?

Mexicans and South Americans really love their rock music, more than North Americans do at the moment, I would say. They really like The Breeders, too, for some reason, and in fact both bands share a bassist now: Mando Lopez, who was in the legendary hardcore punk band Fear, played bass in The Breeders from 2001-2010. He’s now the bass player in Morrissey’s band. And yes, he’s Mexican-American.

by Anonymousreply 43November 10, 2018 6:44 AM

When Morrissey is touring South America, he can just look into the audience and take his pick of any guy that he wants to have his way with, even the "straight" ones. And the guy he chooses is the one who feels like he won the prize.

by Anonymousreply 44November 10, 2018 6:59 AM

Straight people love it when their gay artists tell them about the sickness and misery of being a homosexualist,

by Anonymousreply 45November 10, 2018 7:21 AM

Latinos are generally receptive

by Anonymousreply 46November 15, 2018 2:12 AM

I actually know the answer to this. It's that his lyrics describe someone living on the outside of what life is supposed to be, but never really being able to feel it himself. It's the same reason he and his music became so popular with gay men, and other assorted people to begin with. His lyrics almost never reveal any sexuality. Just a sense of malaise about his existence. The fact that he is able to express those feelings with musical and lyrical artistry, and also happens to be an exceptionally handsome man, creates someone who others enjoy seeing and listening to.

Saw him in concert maybe six years ago, and yes, there were a number of Latinos. He ripped his shirt off, and threw it into the audience. A melee ensued. I stood back, but was eventually given a scrap of the shirt. It had a really rich woodsy cologne scent that was quite nice.

This is the only song I can think of that comes close to identifying himself as gay, but even this isn't completely clear if you aren't gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 15, 2018 3:23 AM

Saw Morrisey at The Palladium some years ago. It was like seeing Judy at Carnegie Hall. The adulation. The crowd being a lot of males dressed in black jeans, long sleeved black shirts or black t shirts. It was touching yet bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 48November 15, 2018 3:39 AM

[quote]Saw him in concert maybe six years ago, and yes, there were a number of Latinos. He ripped his shirt off, and threw it into the audience. A melee ensued. I stood back, but was eventually given a scrap of the shirt. It had a really rich woodsy cologne scent that was quite nice.

He wears Avignon by Commes des Garçons. It is basically identical to the incense used in Catholic Church, with a touch of musk and wood (heh), so I would advise lapsed and former Cathlolics to tread carefully hence you get an olfactory flashback to nuns beating the shit out of you at school.

As for Morrissey wearing it - you can take the boy out of the Catholic Church, but you can't take the Catholic out of the boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 15, 2018 1:38 PM

^^Thank you. I didn't know what it was.

by Anonymousreply 50November 16, 2018 2:53 AM

I read an article a few years ago and the author said Morrissey's music was very similar to tradition Mexican music and that's why it appealed to Mexicans. I guess part of it was the way he tells a story in his music.

by Anonymousreply 51November 16, 2018 6:29 AM

Latinos are crazy for the dick

by Anonymousreply 52November 17, 2018 5:47 AM

Are most Latinos gay? Or is it just Los Angeles that makes hem gay?

by Anonymousreply 53November 17, 2018 6:53 AM

Well said R47.

I love him. He’s brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 54November 17, 2018 8:20 AM

Love this. His voice is perfect on it.

“Lonely heart, lonely heart...”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 17, 2018 8:22 AM

Mexicans Love Morrissey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 5, 2018 1:56 AM

Mexrrissey - Mexico Goes Morrissey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 5, 2018 1:57 AM

Trudging slowly over wet sand....back to the bench where your clothes were stolen.....(deep sigh)

by Anonymousreply 58December 5, 2018 2:03 AM

Morrissey and Chrissie Hynde must have bonded over their hatred of meat.

by Anonymousreply 59December 5, 2018 2:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!