Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Should I Buy Fiestaware

Sounds like something a gay would buy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183January 9, 2019 6:40 PM

Yes. I own it and love it.

by Anonymousreply 1October 26, 2017 3:46 PM

I don't own any because I have a great vintage set of Ruska, but If I needed a set I would buy it. Timeless.

by Anonymousreply 2October 26, 2017 3:49 PM

Find your vintage color and go collecting. You will have a wonderful hobby, and, eventually, a new set of beautiful dishes. Or just collect random pieces in different colors.

by Anonymousreply 3October 26, 2017 4:03 PM

And go to where it's made in Newell West Virginia for factory store prices and seconds and you will see many homosexuals shopping.

by Anonymousreply 4October 26, 2017 4:17 PM

Did you know that FiestaWare was originally crafted by a gay Mexican who illegally crossed the border?

by Anonymousreply 5October 26, 2017 4:36 PM

^ Adelante, guapa!

by Anonymousreply 6October 26, 2017 4:38 PM

I buy the Faux Fiestaware at the Dollar Tree for $1.00 per piece.

by Anonymousreply 7October 26, 2017 4:39 PM

Fiestaware is manufactured in WEST VIRGINIA ?

Careful fellas, it could be a trap ! I suggest you do not wear you caftans to the outlet store.

by Anonymousreply 8October 26, 2017 4:45 PM

Only if you are a very young Millennial or Gen Z and are being ironic. Otherwise, you just an old pottery queen.

Fiestaware was a gay stereotype in the 1980s along with Russel Wright. If you are over 50 and still use it nowadays, you just look like an old queen living in the past.

by Anonymousreply 9October 26, 2017 4:59 PM

If you're being ironic with your glassware you're thinking too much about it.

by Anonymousreply 10October 26, 2017 5:04 PM

Well if you're poor, then yeah sure

by Anonymousreply 11October 26, 2017 5:08 PM

R10, we are discussing pottery. Do try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 12October 26, 2017 5:10 PM

The point stands, R12. Life isn't literary theory.

by Anonymousreply 13October 26, 2017 5:13 PM

Old Pottery Queen !

I đŸ’›đŸ’™â€đŸ’œđŸ’š R9 !

by Anonymousreply 14October 26, 2017 5:54 PM

I don't think food looks good on it, unless it's Mexican otherwise, no.

by Anonymousreply 15October 26, 2017 8:06 PM

I think this thread already exists.....

by Anonymousreply 16October 26, 2017 8:09 PM

I don't think Fiestaware is gay. My grandmother had it in the 50's and every time I see it it brings back a flood of wonderful memories. At that time is was mostly primary colors but the new pieces have expanded into wonderful colors. Just don't use Orange if they still make it because it makes you eat more.

by Anonymousreply 17October 26, 2017 8:13 PM

I remember my grandmother’s set was the real deal, from the 30’s or 40’s....beautiful colors of indigo, gold, grey and others. Too bad food looked like crap when served on them.

by Anonymousreply 18October 26, 2017 9:13 PM

💃 OLÉ !

by Anonymousreply 19October 26, 2017 11:43 PM

Overpriced and very Retro. Buy it on Ebay.

by Anonymousreply 20October 27, 2017 12:06 AM

Do an entire set (with serving pieces) in the vintage ivory. It becomes about the lines of the pieces instead of the colors.

by Anonymousreply 21October 27, 2017 12:11 AM

I don’t hate it in the white.

by Anonymousreply 22October 27, 2017 12:15 AM

Buy Limoges, darling.

by Anonymousreply 23October 27, 2017 12:16 AM

Agree, r23. Fiestaware is awful.

by Anonymousreply 24October 27, 2017 12:21 AM

[quote]Sounds like something a gay would buy.

Honey, may I offer some advice? (Well, you're asking). If that's the only reason you plan to buy something, you'd better be really rich, and ready to abandon your latest enthusiasm to replace it with another. How about this: cultivate yourself, nurture your taste, allow your sensibilities and preferences to slowly assert themselves. Once you've done that, your knack for choosing what you purchase will be unfailing. I have encountered great guys here on DL who collect Fiestaware, and I know I could spend an afternoon with some of them as they show me the high points and pride pieces of their collections, and I would honestly admire them for their acumen. But, honestly, it's not for me.

by Anonymousreply 25October 27, 2017 12:23 AM

I HAVE Fiestaware, bought it in one of my Buy American-made periods. And my verdict? I regret it. I have white -- the white glaze "scratches" like an oxidized chalk mark, anytime ANYTHING scratches the surface. Also, too heavy. I'm glad I supported the company, I'm obviously a very casual person, but I'm ready for something more sophisticated now. I used to be a potter, I would love just beautiful thrown plates and bowls.

by Anonymousreply 26October 27, 2017 12:26 AM

What’s a “a gay”?

by Anonymousreply 27October 27, 2017 12:27 AM

I don't like the white r26...or the black...or the polka-dot.

by Anonymousreply 28October 27, 2017 12:29 AM

If you're young it's ok. Plastic does not age well.

by Anonymousreply 29October 27, 2017 12:32 AM

I prefer mid-century Scandinavian stoneware and have a nice set of Arabia augmented with hand thrown pieces. Its deep brown matte color goes well with food.

by Anonymousreply 30October 27, 2017 12:41 AM

OP, you want dinnerware they'll talk about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 27, 2017 12:42 AM

What total faggy nonsense here, "dishing"Fiestaware.. Fiestaware is classic, colorful, perfect for happy everyday usel Imagine a colorful breakfast or lunch. You old queens have no taste, only fear. The pieces are handsome circles. It's the "pattern" dears. Too, you can get it in black and white, mix new pieces with old colors found in tableware stores, e-bay, etc. Classic and smart always is current, nothing old-queeney about it, if you're educated and have good taste.

by Anonymousreply 32October 27, 2017 12:55 AM

I'm lazy. I prefer Siestaware.

by Anonymousreply 33October 27, 2017 1:31 AM

First the Corele thread, now this! I Love it. More threads about dishes please! I wish they could all be dish threads.

I'd like some orange Fiestaware personally, one day.

by Anonymousreply 34October 27, 2017 1:37 AM

Red r34.......it's Fiesta red.

by Anonymousreply 35October 27, 2017 1:53 AM

R35 So much to learn!

by Anonymousreply 36October 27, 2017 1:55 AM

With Fiestaware, I always get visions of the Palmer House hosting an antiques show at the same time as ISMELL. Old leather queens sashaying about with berry bowls

OP, you could try FireKing or Homer Laughlin.

by Anonymousreply 37October 27, 2017 2:03 AM

The snob dish queens here would screech at the sight of my Polish Pottery. My Grandma used to bring it home from Poland, and I inherited it. It makes me happy.

by Anonymousreply 38October 27, 2017 2:20 AM

R38, but I love stuff like that, i find folk-y pottery to be delightfully charming.

by Anonymousreply 39October 27, 2017 3:37 AM

Radioactive Red

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 27, 2017 3:44 AM

I prefer Harlequin, also made by Homer Laughlin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 27, 2017 3:54 AM

If you want some, yes. If not, no.

by Anonymousreply 42October 27, 2017 4:00 AM

I've used Corelle for decades but I have Fiestaware aspirations.

I love the colors.

by Anonymousreply 43October 27, 2017 4:16 AM

R26, if you have silver-gray looking scratches on Fiestaware, Barkeeper’s Friend will take them off.

If you like pottery style dishes, Bauer Pottery is produced in California. If you’re a potter, you’ll understand what it means when I say that Fiestaware is double fired and therefore doesn’t break as easily and is less fragile, but Bauer is single fired and although it will chip more easily, the colors are much more vibrant than Fiestaware in a lot of cases. Fiesta does better in the oven and with high heat, but Bauer is more artistic looking, I think.

There’s also some Bauer colors that are pretty close to Fiestaware. Sea foam green in Fiestaware is the same as Turquoise in Bauer. Midnight blue in Bauer is pretty close to Cobalt in Fiesta. Yellows and pinks are different, Parrot Green in Bauer and Shamrock in Fiesta are not the same color but they complement each other. The classic Bauer colors are blue, yellow and Bauer Orange, and are often paired with turquoise or Parrot Green. And they do have white if you’re looking for shapes rather than colors.

Bauer’s showroom is in Los Angeles and open Friday’s and one weekend a month. They have an Instagram page, featuring their favorite models, cute dogs and cats. They carry a line of pet ware and garden pots as well as Russell Wright. Russell Wright comes in a lot of the same colors and is really mid-century looking if you like that look.

R40, lead dishes quit being produced in the U.S. in 1980. New era Fiesta started in 1986 so it’s all lead free since then. Even the red and orange.

They’re having a sale of red pieces November 1-8.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 27, 2017 4:20 AM

Thanks R39, I was a little nervous coming out as liking folky stuff here.

by Anonymousreply 45October 27, 2017 4:24 AM

I love that Bauer green color.

by Anonymousreply 46October 27, 2017 4:27 AM

There’s a couple different Bauer greens, Parrot Green and a sort of light avocado green. They also have a few pieces in a sort of dark green.

Russell Wright is also sold at the Bauer store. This is Russel Wright.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 27, 2017 4:33 AM

Here’s the two Bauer blues and yellow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 27, 2017 4:36 AM

Yes, I love Homo Laughing Pottery.

by Anonymousreply 49October 27, 2017 4:45 AM

Just bought a set of the slate color. A little more contemporary. I’ll use different colors to accent, starting with daffodil.

by Anonymousreply 50October 27, 2017 4:49 AM

I have a great set of pottery dinnerware by Pfaltzgraff that I purchased twenty years ago for $59.99 at Kohl's. Use them every day, they still look like new, and not a single dish has broken.

by Anonymousreply 51October 27, 2017 4:51 AM

Here’s my favorite Bauer, dog and cat bowls. The top row is garden pots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 27, 2017 4:58 AM

The Pfaltzgraff is pretty hideous, of course it never breaks!

Still that palm tree pattern, although ridiculous, is already growing on me...

by Anonymousreply 53October 27, 2017 5:12 AM

[quote]I don't think Fiestaware is gay. My grandmother had it in the 50's

All that that tells us is that your grandmother was a labia licker and you failed to realize it.

by Anonymousreply 54October 27, 2017 5:21 AM

Fiestaware is radioactive.

by Anonymousreply 55October 27, 2017 5:21 AM

No dishes produced in the United States are radioactive since before WWII, when they stopped producing radioactive dishes and glassware, since they needed the uranium for the war effort.

by Anonymousreply 56October 27, 2017 5:25 AM

Fiestaware is gay. Franciscan is frau. Fiestaware is better.

by Anonymousreply 57October 27, 2017 5:39 AM

Don't forget the Fiesta Chip n Dip entertainment set in the new cool neutral colors for your Super Bowl party. I think they also make aprons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 27, 2017 5:53 AM

The truth is, I currently have Corelle (yes, THAT!). But I would love a full, matching set of Blue Willow, although I don't know if anyone makes that In my struggling years, I had a (very) mismatched set of Blue Willow, from many different sources, and it's the reason I eventually chose Corelle for my day to day service. I've pondered buying Spodes 'Blue Italian' in its place, but I know its inferior. If anyone knows of a decent outfit that can produce an authentic 'Blue Willow', I will offer my authentic praise, although I don't know a way to monetize that for you.

by Anonymousreply 59October 27, 2017 6:06 AM

Fiestaware is like your working class schmuck next to fine china. Do Americans still have china set in their homes anymore?

by Anonymousreply 60October 27, 2017 6:17 AM

I have china.

by Anonymousreply 61October 27, 2017 6:58 AM

R38, am the "snob" at R9. I actually like Polish pottery. If you inherited it, that is great. The problem with it, as with so many thing is that the market became saturated and it became a cliche. I actually consider buying some myself until I saw it stacked to the ceiling at Home Goods.

I have blue and white Thuringian pottery for everyday; so, Northern European folk pottery is close to my heart.

R25/R59, I am not sure what you are saying about the Blue Willow pattern. It was a very common pattern that was made by numerous companies over the years. Johnson Brothers and Churchill both make it. The original Spode is available at Replacements, Ltd. However, there is nothing wrong with the Spode Blue Italian. The fact that they found the Blue Willow pattern a cliche and replaced it with Blue Italian says something.

by Anonymousreply 62October 27, 2017 9:26 AM

If only I could convert you to any of the pitted ironstone that doesn't have that fucking copper maple leaf. We could tie handkerchiefs over our heads, drink warm vodka, and discuss our calluses.

by Anonymousreply 63October 27, 2017 9:59 AM

Some colors of Fiestaware look better with food on them than others. Scrambled eggs look bizarre on chartreuse or lemongrass. Any red, orange, or green food looks great on turquoise. Anything green looks pretty good on any shade of blue.

I have a set of Fiestaware, but I don't use it currently.

by Anonymousreply 64October 27, 2017 10:25 AM

R64, Fiestaware made a pretty shade of robin’s egg blue. I only got a piece or two because food looks terrible on it. Same with lemongrass.

I was looking for pottery vases and ended up collecting different blues because many flowers don’t look good in bright vases either. Too overpowering.

I ended up looking at the Bauer store, where they group a lot of their wares by colors that go together. They display a lot of items by the original colors, blue, yellow, orange and a sort of seafoam green. Those primaries look great together and food doesn’t look bad on them. If I was going to start over that’s all I would do. Another nice combination would be yellow and white.

by Anonymousreply 65October 27, 2017 1:46 PM

Don't be afraid to be a square OP.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 27, 2017 2:01 PM

[quote]Fiestaware made a pretty shade of robin’s egg blue. I only got a piece or two because food looks terrible on it.

I'll bet it was Peacock. I didn't buy anything in that color. I didn't like it. I'll amend my rule and say that greens look nice on most blue dishes. FWIW, Peacock didn't last very long before it was "retired." I think if I were going to buy new dishes today, I'd look at either Heath Ceramics or the Russel Wright from Bauer.

by Anonymousreply 67October 27, 2017 2:12 PM

GO ATOMIC OP!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 27, 2017 2:35 PM

No problem, R62. I used to see a lot of Polish Pottery at TJ Maxx about 15 years ago, but I haven't seen it in Michigan lately, except one of the lesser grades at Christmas Tree Shop. It's noticeably cheaper looking than the Zaklady and Artystyczna stuff. I do notice a lot more websites selling it now.

I generally prefer the simpler patterns and classic colors. A lot of the unikat stuff is ugly, too busy and I don't like the colors or style.

by Anonymousreply 69October 27, 2017 2:37 PM

Go on Wayfair or Overstock and get Dansk if you want white. Mikasa has some inexpensive very nice patterns. the think about dishes is eventually they all get scratched or chip and wear out, and sometimes you just get tired of them and want a new fresher look. I always thought Fiestaware was very.... J. C. penney...ya know?

by Anonymousreply 70October 27, 2017 2:57 PM

You can always go ugly OP......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 27, 2017 3:06 PM

I ❀ you, r54 !

by Anonymousreply 72October 27, 2017 6:47 PM

For you Polish Stoneware fans ........ The Christmas Tree Shops have a good selection of Polish stoneware for a tiny fraction of the cost if purchased elsewhere. Purchased some for my little Polish Auntie, and she loves it.

And yes, its authentic.

by Anonymousreply 73October 27, 2017 6:51 PM

R66 That takes tacky to a whole new level.

by Anonymousreply 74October 27, 2017 6:54 PM

Here’s some more about the Riviera pattern at R66. It’s from 1937, so it’s a Great Depression pattern. In those days, people needed all the cheeriness they could get.

If you’re interested in Homer Laughlin, check out this site. Looks like there’s more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 27, 2017 8:26 PM

Reading about dishes is so serenifying in these horrible times. I've always been a dish queen. I've known how to set a proper table since I was 8 or 9, thanks to my mother's mother.

by Anonymousreply 76October 27, 2017 8:29 PM

It's very American... bold but simple, garish but uninspired.

by Anonymousreply 77October 27, 2017 8:29 PM

Peacock

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 27, 2017 8:33 PM

If you’re interested in the history of Homer Laughlin, scroll down this page and they have catalog pages from the Homer Laughlin catalogs from the 1910s-1920s. They have pictures of other patterns too.

They even have their medical and healthcare line, including bedpans and urinals and chamber pots. Did not know they made those.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 27, 2017 8:37 PM

Fuck you, r77!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 27, 2017 8:41 PM

R78, that’s it. It’s a little brighter in person. It’s kind of milky looking.

If it was clothes and not dishes it would be prettier. It’s about the ugliest color imaginable with food though.

by Anonymousreply 81October 27, 2017 8:41 PM

EAT MY FIESTAWARE, YOU CUNTS!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 27, 2017 8:41 PM

I thought their Epicure line was stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 27, 2017 8:44 PM

This may be closer, R81. As I mentioned, I never had any in Peacock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 27, 2017 8:49 PM

Serenade = HL's answer to Lu-Ray

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 27, 2017 8:49 PM

Did you read the text, R83? It starts "Exciting enough for your gayest dinner."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 27, 2017 8:56 PM

Vistosa = TS&T's answer to Fiesta

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 27, 2017 8:57 PM

Well, isn't it r86?

by Anonymousreply 88October 27, 2017 8:59 PM

Americans should just stick to red solo cups and paper plates.

by Anonymousreply 89October 27, 2017 9:01 PM

Loving the information here. Looked into several "brands" and really like the "classic' Fiestaware. Have begun to buy ... the retail webs are good, and now I've the eye to see/select, occasional yard sale finds turn up, thrift shop too .... got a pair of salt/pepper balls for fifty cents, and by a garage that could house feral cats, in Ashland, OR after a play found a soup bowl. Big serving pieces in antique shops are expensive, I do without .... local restaurant-ware/bar houses are easy places to buy the new white or black pieces, nice to mix with original-color pieces. I like how my tables look now. Older friends seem pleased I'm buying household goods, tell me I'm growing up. Don't know about that, but certainly do like my Fiestaware! All learned here!

by Anonymousreply 90October 27, 2017 9:08 PM

Not just ANY paper plates r89! Take my advice and get the BEST - Chinet!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 27, 2017 9:11 PM

I have a few of the original plates which I inherited from my sainted mother. She purchased them in the late '30s and they were still in use during my childhood. I have them on display in a China cabinet now; they haven't been used for dining in quite some time.

When the line was reintroduced in the '80s, I purchased more, which I still use. I'm glad to see they are still in production, although specific colors go in and out of circulation.

by Anonymousreply 92October 27, 2017 9:18 PM

And now for a word from our sponsors......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 27, 2017 9:23 PM

Yes! I inherited mine along with some faux pieces here and there. It's very pretty!

by Anonymousreply 94October 27, 2017 9:25 PM

Peacock is quite lovely. But Juniper is da bomb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 27, 2017 9:35 PM

Shit! ICE just came and deported all my Mexicana pieces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 27, 2017 9:36 PM

I had Juniper. It didn't really go with many other colors. Chocolate and Pearl Gray were its best complements, and who wants those? I ended up giving all my Juniper to a friend.

by Anonymousreply 97October 27, 2017 9:41 PM

Juniper goes with Shamrock and Bauer Parrot Green. I had some Juniper I put away, but with the Parrot Green I’ve taken it back out.

by Anonymousreply 98October 27, 2017 10:02 PM

I hated Shamrock as much as the guy who hates Peacock hated Peacock. I didn't like the brown undertone.

by Anonymousreply 99October 27, 2017 10:05 PM

I might consider a modified set for summer use. Something for the patio.

by Anonymousreply 100October 27, 2017 10:08 PM

What is "a modified set"?

by Anonymousreply 101October 27, 2017 10:09 PM

Something for the patio r100?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 27, 2017 10:13 PM

Well, with a modified set you don'e get a full place setting. Maybe you just get a four piece place setting and fewer serving pieces.

I like that R102, but in Fiestaware colors it would be even more stunning!

by Anonymousreply 103October 27, 2017 10:19 PM

So stunning your guests will be too stunned to eat.

by Anonymousreply 104October 27, 2017 10:20 PM

If you are looking for high quality inexpensive whiteware, BB&B is having a closeout on Ginori porcelain. I bought some Richard Ginori Mediterraneo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 27, 2017 10:21 PM

R103, Fiesta did make a set like that back in the day. Someone was selling it on Craigslist a while back.

Not the same thing, but here’s Bauer grill plates. These are for picnics and barbecues. Before divided paper plates, people used these. They’re making them again now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106October 27, 2017 10:29 PM

Fiestaware looks like they should be for kids, but is really for adults.

by Anonymousreply 107October 27, 2017 10:31 PM

R85 looks like it would only be appropriate for Easter.

by Anonymousreply 108October 27, 2017 10:32 PM

Here’s a Fiesta snack set.

R107, a while back some nursing home director noticed that old people often lost their appetite and weakened as a result. It was really hard to get them to eat. A study was done that found that people eat more off warm colored plates, less off cool colored plates. So this director bought red Fiestaware plates for the nursing home and the patients started eating more. The patients also seemed more alert and enjoyed their food more. So colors at the dinner table do affect people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109October 27, 2017 10:36 PM

R109 I would be alarmed because they look so ugly!

by Anonymousreply 110October 27, 2017 10:39 PM

R109, I had to care for three elderly family members and after many doctor's visits it was explained to me: As we age we lose or sense of smell and taste. The only thing we can distinguish is sweet or salty, but mainly sweet. Which is why so many elderly people crave sweets or love potato chips, but have little appetite. We'd do eggs in the morning and they'd load up on donuts and sweet rolls if you let them, then we'd do the main meal around 1 PM, and it would usually be sloppy joes or chili or meatloaf or salmon patties, and at night around 5 they'd have some kind of nice stir fry with rice. Cereal before bedtime. Now all the portions were sort of small and God help you if you fucked up and didn't give them a dessert at midday.

by Anonymousreply 111October 27, 2017 10:42 PM

I'd like to see the nursing home where I worked invest in Fiesta Dinnerware.

I worked in the Alzheimer's Unit, where there was many an argument at mealtime because of residents who stole food off another resident's plate, frequently resulting in plates being tossed at the food thrives.

Unless it's a very private, very exclusive, and very expensive "senior living community, what nursing home on the planet has a budget for Fiestaware?

by Anonymousreply 112October 28, 2017 5:20 AM

[quote]I buy the Faux Fiestaware at the Dollar Tree for $1.00 per piece.

Are you referring to the Santa Fe pattern by Royal Norfolk, available in 4 exciting hues?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 28, 2017 7:25 AM

[quote]Franciscan is frau.

Franciscan is GRANDFRAU but I love it dearly.

Right now, the Franciscan "October" pattern, with its warm,muted, autumnal colors is prominently displayed in the lighted, glass fronted cabinets of the creamy white kitchen of my newly built dream house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114October 28, 2017 7:32 AM

If you must have garish colors, at least by Clarice Cliff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115October 28, 2017 11:58 AM

R113's picture graphically explains why eating a meal on colorful dinnerware is such an appetite killer.

Maybe Marie Osmond or Oprah should recommended this as a secret weapon in the NutriSystem or Weight Watchers programs.

by Anonymousreply 116October 28, 2017 12:10 PM

[quote]available in 4 exciting hues?

R113, what's the fourth?

by Anonymousreply 117October 28, 2017 12:12 PM

R112, maybe it was.

There’s a commercial line of Fiesta made for restaurants and cafeterias. It’s very heavy and goes in the oven. Mexican restaurants use it sometimes. The dishes are like oval platters. Maybe that’s what they bought. Fiestaware is double fired and doesn't chip easily. Only throwing it or dropping it wil break it and even then it doesn’t shatter.

by Anonymousreply 118October 28, 2017 12:58 PM

Only the contemporary Fiesta is high vitreous fired r118, not the vintage.

by Anonymousreply 119October 28, 2017 1:32 PM

I have some plates and bowls (along with other hand me downs), and I always gravitate to them. I’m glad you posted this because I got mine at Macy’s and I just assumed that this was a Macy’s-exclusive product because they showcased it. I boycott Macy’s now because it still profits the Trump empire...looks like I can round out my dishes elsewhere though!

by Anonymousreply 120October 28, 2017 1:51 PM

R120, you can buy directly from Fiesta. No Macy's. No that other word.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121October 28, 2017 1:53 PM

Thanks, R121. I like some of the saturated colors and the weight of the dishes.

by Anonymousreply 122October 28, 2017 1:57 PM

Does R114 earn a "MARY!" or a "Frau!"?

by Anonymousreply 123October 28, 2017 2:36 PM

Vintage Metlox Free Form Mobile - still retains its tomorrow look....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124October 28, 2017 3:11 PM

Love, love, LOVE it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125October 28, 2017 3:16 PM

You would have to decorate your dining room around this set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 28, 2017 3:19 PM

Put the guacamole ONLY in the yellow bowl.

by Anonymousreply 127October 28, 2017 3:23 PM

When we see a distinctive ancient Greek, Mayan, Celtic etc. design, I wonder for how long they used the same motifs and if they always carried some kind of spiritual meaning or if they were ever purely aesthetic like almost all designs are today (like the Greek key, which is related to the Indian swastika)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 28, 2017 3:24 PM

A footnote on the Macy boycott. I still go to Macy's but rarely, because in general, their merchandize is so damned cheaply made now. Quality has gone way down. Even brand names I used to trust have the cheaper discount house lines, and Macy sells them for higher prices. But as to the Ivanka Trump brand, I just laugh. Because to me, having it in stores and it's NOT SELLING, it just sits there, no one even goes near the racks, makes me smile. People see the Trump name and walk away. And I love that.

by Anonymousreply 129October 28, 2017 3:44 PM

I get sick of dishes. I like to change them out and I hate scratched, chipped dishes. So investing a lot of money in a set of dishes is not something I'm gonna do. I go to the onlinie discount shopping sites or to Costco and get a set there, and then, when I feel like getting rid of them after a couple years or so, I don't feel any guilt. Fiestaware is expensive.

by Anonymousreply 130October 28, 2017 3:46 PM

r130 = the Corelle Queen

by Anonymousreply 131October 28, 2017 3:49 PM

OP, only if done ironically.

by Anonymousreply 132October 28, 2017 3:54 PM

R131, I would NEVER!

by Anonymousreply 133October 28, 2017 4:15 PM

Well, R133/R130, if Fiestaware is "expensive," what DO you buy, if not Corelle?

by Anonymousreply 134October 28, 2017 4:24 PM

Bought this set 45 yrs ago. Very sturdy and it always makes a nice setting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 28, 2017 5:46 PM

That is a pretty classic looking set R135. I bet food looks nice on it. Well chosen.

by Anonymousreply 136October 28, 2017 5:48 PM

[quote]Well, [R133]/[R130], if Fiestaware is "expensive," what DO you buy, if not Corelle?

Chinet.

by Anonymousreply 137October 28, 2017 6:27 PM

Don't buy Pottery Barn. Chips like crazy.

by Anonymousreply 138October 28, 2017 6:56 PM

[quote] Now all the portions were sort of small and God help you if you fucked up and didn't give them a dessert at midday.

Yes, elderly people, especially women, do not like to see a lot of food on a plate. I learned this when I first became an RN in a hospital. The old ladies would immediately lose their appetite when they took the lid off their plate and saw potatoes, meat and vegetable. They were also served a roll on a small plate, so I would go in and take the roll off the small plate and put a small amount of meat, potato and vegetable on the small plate. They ate it all. I would make rounds and put some more food on the small plate in order to get them to eat a little more and they usually did.

I kind of feel the same way as o get older. The portions in. US restaurants nauseate me.

by Anonymousreply 139October 28, 2017 7:05 PM

What do you people do with you dishes.... chips and scratches? I bought a basic 4-piece Fiestaware set from Macy's more than 10 years ago. Did not know it was such a gay thing back then. LOL Everything is still chip and scratch free after continuous use. I even use the plate as a cutting board sometimes for cutting up vegetables. The mug is the one in the worst shape with some white discoloration where the handle meets the body. Also, tea stain is hard to get off so need to rinse it out quickly.

by Anonymousreply 140October 28, 2017 7:09 PM

None of you twats has even mentioned Eva Zeisel.

by Anonymousreply 141October 28, 2017 7:39 PM

[quote] Also, tea stain is hard to get off

No it isn't. Put a couple of squirts of Clorox kitchen spray with bleach in the bottom of the cup and dilute with water. Let sit for about 15 minutes, then wash the cup as usual.

by Anonymousreply 142October 28, 2017 7:43 PM

I use Barkeeper's Friend for tea-stained mugs.

by Anonymousreply 143October 29, 2017 12:58 AM

It's very brown, r135.

by Anonymousreply 144October 29, 2017 2:04 AM

I go to Costco or to Overstock or Wayfair and get another inexpensive set of dishes. I don't want to buy something that "lasts for 20 years." I get sick of them.

by Anonymousreply 145October 29, 2017 2:25 AM

R145, et al,the fact that you have to change your china every few years, and buy crap in order to do it, says a lot about you. At worst, it used to be that your first set of good china became "everyday" once you were at a point to purchase really good china or porcelain. It is pretty sad when our disposable society has hit something as permanent as china.

by Anonymousreply 146October 29, 2017 11:57 AM

Fine r141.....

Eva Zeisel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147October 29, 2017 1:32 PM

Thank you to the twat who mentioned me.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 29, 2017 1:36 PM

WTF is "good china" anymore? Who uses it? I love to go to Estate sales. Only very high end estate sales. And some of those people had five or six sets of extraordinarily expensive china. No one wanted to buy it.

Only scrapbooking fraus think of Good china and Christmas china and Halloween china and Thanksgiving China and Easter china and all that bullshit. I have very nice china and I set a lovely table. But I'm not going to spend a fortune when I don't have to.

by Anonymousreply 149October 29, 2017 1:39 PM

I love restaurant/dinerware. At present I'm collecting Syracuse Millbrook.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150October 29, 2017 1:47 PM

Fiestaware is ugly, garish, and tacky. And not in a fun way. Take the ugliest hues of every color and apply to clunky designs and then overglaze until it shines like drool.

by Anonymousreply 151October 29, 2017 3:33 PM

What do you like, R151?

by Anonymousreply 152October 29, 2017 3:35 PM

It's very b-list for taste and design and doesn't look exquisite on any dinner table. For lunch or family room snacks on a coffee table, why not.

by Anonymousreply 153October 29, 2017 3:37 PM

WE have every day dishes, and we have dishes that we use for company but they aren't fine china. We bought them in bulk years ago. sleek, plain white porcelain. On the heavy side. Bright white. We can decorate and set the table with any color scheme because what doesn't go with white, ya know?

by Anonymousreply 154October 29, 2017 3:42 PM

[quote] because what doesn't go with white

Tyne Daly

by Anonymousreply 155October 29, 2017 4:35 PM

We use square white plates with a small black and white illustration from Fish's Eddy for dinner. I have fiestaware (peacock, goldenrod, dark blue and poppy red) with glasses to match . My mom gave us silverware too. I know its "gay" but I love the rainbow colors. I mostly use the bows for cereal ( blue looks good!) and small plates for desserts. I agree that some meals look odd on the colors so I like the white for most dinners.

by Anonymousreply 156October 29, 2017 5:28 PM

Fiestaware is bold and gauche.

by Anonymousreply 157October 29, 2017 5:54 PM

still with this we're talking?

by Anonymousreply 158October 30, 2017 12:00 AM

More more more! How about more contemporary lines AND/or Asian lines??? LOVE that brown set posted above, reminds me of Korean pottery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159October 30, 2017 2:45 AM

It can be r157.......

by Anonymousreply 160October 30, 2017 9:23 PM

I know people never think of this, but Fiesta can also be striking in only one or two colors.

For example, cobalt blue and white. Yellow and white, with or without cobalt or gray. When I was a kid, we had other dishes in black, white, rose and grey. That was pretty. Fiesta Evergreen and sea foam green look nice together.

Bauer does a lot of displays with Bauer orange, yellow, blue and seafoam or Parrot Green. Those colors together are colorful without being too random or busy.

Another thing that’s pretty is all cool colors. Cobalt, turquoise, light blue and seafoam.

by Anonymousreply 161October 30, 2017 9:39 PM

R161, I have mostly Turquoise, with a little Cobalt and Chartreuse. I don't like the cacophony of any more colors than that—I hate the rainbow effect—and having just one color gets boring.

by Anonymousreply 162October 30, 2017 9:45 PM

[r152] I like anything that isn't shiny, awkward stoneware or the most brutish colors of Fiestaware. My elderly mother is always trying to give me her ghastly mid-century octagonal ironstone. Over the years I've gravitated to anything blue and white/cream, whether plain or with delicate, intricate designs. That's what is used daily. I have stacks of antique china that are pretty but too fussy to be used.

by Anonymousreply 163October 31, 2017 2:42 PM

R163 you've probably already considered it, but you could sell it on ebay when she's gone, but it's such a pain in the ass to ship glass. I've been putting off listing an inherited set that's flowery and trimmed in gold. Yech.

I also love blue and white dishes. The look is so clean and refreshing (Mary!) and I never tire of it. The aforementioned Polish Pottery, Arabia, Williams and Sonoma blue-striped bistro ware. I inherited some Blue Danube as well. Some might find it too old ladyish but I love seeing it on the shelf.

by Anonymousreply 164October 31, 2017 4:53 PM

I never found Blair's Gay Plaid particularly..........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 31, 2017 5:02 PM

[quote]I also love blue and white dishes. The look is so clean and refreshing (Mary!) and I never tire of it. The aforementioned Polish Pottery, Arabia, Williams and Sonoma blue-striped bistro ware. I inherited some Blue Danube as well. Some might find it too old ladyish but I love seeing it on the shelf.

Mary r164, I feel neither cleansed nor refreshed by such patterns as your Blue Danube (below). It is the very essence of the floral designs I hate (of any kind, not just in dinnerawre).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 31, 2017 5:03 PM

R166, anyone who hates organic designs or designs from nature has no soul. This is not something to which one should admit. Please get help. This does not mean one has to like a design that looks as if someone vomited a floral shop, but to admit to hating floral designs *of any kind* is a symptom of a sever flaw in your being.

by Anonymousreply 167November 1, 2017 12:23 PM

I will survive, R167, "severed" from floral designs.

by Anonymousreply 168November 1, 2017 1:22 PM

sissy

by Anonymousreply 169November 18, 2017 1:15 AM

r167, you and your ilk are why RA OCR is the top selling china pattern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170November 18, 2017 6:19 AM

If you want floral done right:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171November 18, 2017 6:20 AM

Sounds like something a̶ ̶g̶a̶y̶ an American would buy.

by Anonymousreply 172November 18, 2017 8:47 AM

R171: Grandma or Prissy Sissy?

by Anonymousreply 173November 18, 2017 3:55 PM

Fiestaware is cheerful and lovely in the spring & summer for a breakfast or a lunch service. It's lovely for eating out doors on the patio. But no one uses it for dinner. Ever. And never after Labor Day. We usually start bring ours out right after Easter.

by Anonymousreply 174November 18, 2017 5:51 PM

YES..this is my spring /summer dishes..I have the darker colors for fall and winter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175November 18, 2017 6:28 PM

^^^^^ ^^^ These Are ^^^^^^^

Becoming demented

by Anonymousreply 176November 18, 2017 6:34 PM

[quote]Becoming demented

Maybe you should check your dishes for lead.

by Anonymousreply 177November 18, 2017 6:39 PM

r177 Feista is lead free .....you must mean the uranium they used in their red dishes 60 or so yrs ago

by Anonymousreply 178November 18, 2017 8:45 PM

Some nice colors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179November 18, 2017 8:55 PM

It it true that it's radioactive? I want the radioactive time, to go with my watch dial.

by Anonymousreply 180January 8, 2019 2:19 PM

Yes, Rose. Don't wear it in the same room as your watch.

by Anonymousreply 181January 8, 2019 2:25 PM

I don't know how they do it, but they make every color muddy and ugly.

by Anonymousreply 182January 9, 2019 6:35 PM

I like Fiestaware in Turquoise. It is neither muddy nor ugly. Chartreuse was nice, too.

Then they brought out two other shades of green. Lemongrass is nearly indistinguishable from Chartreuse, except yes, r182, it has a muddy brown undertone to it. Same with Shamrock: a nice enough green except for that muddy brownness.

by Anonymousreply 183January 9, 2019 6:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!