Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Star Trek: Discovery (Part 2)

I have a stepsister?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600March 6, 2018 3:20 PM

Discovery has exceeded my expectations. They've achieved a perfect balance between the tone of the series and the new films.

It's dark but still hopeful and an overall blast.

CBS needs to cut the shit and just start airing this on primetime. It would be a massive hit, which it deserves to be.

by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2017 5:17 AM

R1

Shill! Shill!! Shill!!!

by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2017 5:19 AM

Nimoy got hit on by a ton of women, and received the most fan mail.

Shatter was furious about the fan mail.

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2017 5:23 AM

*Shatner

by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2017 5:23 AM

R2 ...

We have Klingons on board...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 24, 2017 5:27 AM

How can you not be into Discovery...

You'd have so be a repugnant.

by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2017 5:32 AM

Serious question: Were Rapp and Cruz ever on the same run of Rent? I wonder if they ever hooked up ("longtime friends", my ass).

by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2017 5:38 AM

R7 lol.

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2017 5:41 AM

You have a stepsister?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2017 6:03 AM

R9 hahaha! How fucking cute!

by Anonymousreply 10October 24, 2017 6:04 AM

I wanna bum Shazad Latif in the annnnusss

by Anonymousreply 11October 24, 2017 7:11 AM

R11 You better get in line then because I had those fantasies since the first time I saw him on Penny Dreadful. Too bad his character was introduced only in the last season. Though I can see now that emo style was holding back his full hotness potential.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 24, 2017 10:44 AM

[quote] take your bloody finger out of your mom's shit encrusted buthole and then eat it you down and out louse

The sexless basement dwelling nerd was TRIGGERED

Don't set phaser to stun fucker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2017 12:46 PM

R11 Latif is the hottest guy in the cast, too bad he won't be in season two .......

by Anonymousreply 14October 24, 2017 1:33 PM

R14 You shut your speculative mouth; he [italic]has[/italic] to be in season two!

Now Jason Isaacs is the one who probably will end up bowing out.

by Anonymousreply 15October 24, 2017 1:59 PM

R15 Ash Tyler is not what he appears to be, his story line will come to end at the end of the season. Google Ash Tyler theory if you want to be spoiled. And yes Isaacs will not be in season two for sure.

by Anonymousreply 16October 24, 2017 2:08 PM

R16 Yeah, I got spoiled about that on Reddit immediately but I still hope they could give him a redemption arc strong enough that they'll keep him on the ship going forward.

I do wonder who'll end up captaining the ship after Lorca's inevitable exit. A total outsider or someone we know already?

by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2017 2:13 PM

R17 How 20th exx he'll do they know what's going to happen?

by Anonymousreply 18October 24, 2017 3:48 PM

^*in the hell

by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2017 3:58 PM

R18 I mean, it's not really a spoiler, just a pretty solid theory. And the CBS publicist recently shut down an interview with Shazad when this question came up so it's kinda accepted as fact now.

On the other hand, no one has any theory about Lorca's character, yet we all assume he won't be around for the second season. I hope I'm wrong, though; I'm liking him more and more.

by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2017 3:59 PM

R20 CBS screwed it up when they first announced that Shazad has been cast as another character before issuing a retraction sometime later saying he was going to be Ash instead. Also the actor who is now playing the character Shazad was originally cast as, doesn't actually appear to exist, infact his first name is Shazad's middle name ... hmmmmm!

Theory for Lorca is that he is actually Captain Garth from the original series episode Whom Gods Destroy.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2017 4:16 PM

R21 Fascinating.

I'm liking Captain Lorca a lot, too, R20. Of course, it helps that he's hot asf.

by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2017 4:19 PM

In my eyes, Lorca is made even hotter by the fact that Jason Issacs is a chill person who appears not to give a fuck how anything he says is received.

[quote]"You know, even he would be scared of Trump and think he has taken it too far," the actor suggested. "It's one thing being a Death Eater and wanting to kill Muggles, but it's another spraying yourself orange and wearing a Brillo Pad!

[quote]"I don't know how you keep quiet. I don't mind if it's a Republican or Democrat in the White House. But I mind when there is a monstrously childish liar, when someone on their very first day in office lies about how many people were in the crowd at his inauguration.

[quote]"You think, 'F**k, this is the most powerful man in the world and he can't tell the truth'. He's got skin as thick as a Rizla!"

Where the hell [italic]was[/italic] he between Harry Potter and Discovery, anyway? Indie projects, smaller stuff, semi-retired?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2017 4:27 PM

in the mirror universe lorca should have tyler, stamets and the doctor as his sex slaves in a sex dungeon!

by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2017 6:17 PM

R24 Oh god, I need a shoddy Tumblr slashfic drawing of that scenario right now! Even a short Nifty story would do the trick.

by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2017 6:43 PM

R23 Those eyes!

by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2017 6:53 PM

This sums it up nicely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2017 6:54 PM

R27....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2017 6:55 PM

I would have loved to have Taylor pound on that Twinky Ensign from Michael's other ship

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2017 6:56 PM

Every time I read the regurgitations of a Klingon, my katra says -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2017 7:04 PM

about the the Lorca and Tyler theories. Bryan Fuller hinted that one of the characters would be closely related to an episode of TOS after the news about Michael's background came out, I think many thought she was the one connected to TOS but I think it's Lorca aka Captain Garth. Also Fuller also said that the major overall of the Klingon's look wasn't just about modernizing them, he said it served a practical purpose aka the same actor playing two parts.

by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2017 7:13 PM

Fuller also stated that the episode was Balance of Terror, or at least he tweeted a still from it when he made that comment.

I'm hoping Ash gets a Smurfette treatment, where the overwhelming power of the love of the Federation makes him reform.

by Anonymousreply 32October 25, 2017 12:15 AM

Does Jason Isaacs really have that much on his plate that he wouldn't continue with the series? You'd think it would be something not worth passing up.

by Anonymousreply 33October 25, 2017 6:33 AM

R33 I've seen some rumors that he's leaving but has it been confirmed? You'd think he wouldn't be allowed to reveal such an important detail which'd mean his character either dies or gets overthrown and is no longer a captain.

by Anonymousreply 34October 26, 2017 1:44 AM

R33 I don't think it's the full plate, he just doesn't strike me as a multi-season-TV kind of guy. He's just a step below Michelle Yeoh in that regard and we all knew she sure as hell wouldn't be in it for long.

by Anonymousreply 35October 26, 2017 10:49 AM

Has anyone watched After Trek. It’s hosted by one of the queeniest queens who ever kaweened. Regularly mentions his wife which is hilarious. She must get an undisturbed night’s sleep!

by Anonymousreply 36October 26, 2017 11:16 AM

I saw quite a few people mention on Reddit that it was unwatchable for the first couple of episodes as it was so cringy but that it got better later.

They were too polite to mention a flaming queen though I can see now why that could make it unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 37October 26, 2017 11:20 AM

So, in the preview for next episode it looks like everyone on board goes a bit nuts. I'm not a die hard Trekkie, but isn't that what happens in the Mirror, Mirror episodes.

Cannot wait for Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 38October 26, 2017 4:03 PM

R38 I don't think it'll be the mirror episode just yet; Harry Mudd at the very end of the preview seems to be the cause of all that mayhem on the ship. But perhaps they'll do both of those things in a single episode, who knows.

And my comment at R37 was obviously addressed to R36; it wasn't about the show in general. Although I'd love it if we had a queeniest queen who ever kaweened on a Star Trek show as well. Campiness is eternal and also universal among all the species in the galaxy, I'm sure of it.

Speaking of universal... has intergalactic travel ever featured in any ST show?

by Anonymousreply 39October 26, 2017 5:08 PM

"So, in the preview for next episode it looks like everyone on board goes a bit nuts. I'm not a die hard Trekkie, but isn't that what happens in the Mirror, Mirror episodes."

That's the "Naked" episodes - The Naked Time in the OS, and The Naked Now in TNG - something spacey-wibbly causes the crew to go nuts, and act out of character.

by Anonymousreply 40October 26, 2017 6:49 PM

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

So, the Mirror episodes are about a parallel universe(s) and the Naked episodes revolve around spacey-wibblys fucking things up? Got it!

What categorizes as a spacey-wibbly, though?

by Anonymousreply 41October 26, 2017 7:24 PM

The naked episode involves anything that lowers the crew's inhibitions [italic]and[/italic] at the same time causes mayhem on the ship. Then you have other episodes where only their inhibitions are lowered sans the mayhem, and vice versa.

Spacey-wibbly things that fuck everything up range from space-dwelling pitcher plants, Bothans, invisible alien scientists performing experiments on the crew... And that's just from ST: Voyager.

by Anonymousreply 42October 26, 2017 7:44 PM

R42 Again, thanks for the crash course!

by Anonymousreply 43October 26, 2017 8:07 PM

Next episode is a time loop one, not "naked". If anything it's going to be like Cause and Effect (TNG).

by Anonymousreply 44October 27, 2017 3:38 PM

Yeah, I mentioned in the previous thread that it will be a groundhog day (i.e. time loop) episode but someone brought up a naked episode so I thought they must be more knowledgeable than me. In any case, the two are not mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 45October 27, 2017 3:42 PM

[bold]Wilson Cruz Opens Up About ‘Star Trek’ Finally Going Gay[/bold]

[quote]“I hope that people walk away from the series more willing to see themselves in other people.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 27, 2017 4:40 PM

Thanks, R46.

I love that they've boldly gone where they haven't before, lol

by Anonymousreply 47October 28, 2017 1:53 AM

Another bit of boldly going, when Tilly and Michael let Ripper go, Tilly said something that sounded like a prayer over him. A lot of people said that it sounded like the Song of Ascent, which makes me wonder if they were attempt to subtly say that Tilly is Jewish.

I've never really liked they always portray the Federation as a atheist utopia. I just don't think the cultural signifiers of religion would ever completely die out, even if the belief in an actual deity did. And I say that as an atheist.

by Anonymousreply 48October 28, 2017 12:01 PM

Interesting, R48.

by Anonymousreply 49October 28, 2017 4:05 PM

I just assumed it was a standard Starfleet saying that gets used at Federation funerals. If anything, it sounded vaguely Pagan to me.

They're definitely not making Tilly Jewish as the script editor flipped out at Jason Isaacs when he ad-libbed a God line on the set. I would very much like at least an hour of my life every week to remain free of Earth-based religion, thank you. I don't mind them using religions of other species in the galaxy, though.

by Anonymousreply 50October 28, 2017 4:12 PM

Also, the actress looks more Irish (Scottish?) to me, rather than Jewish. Like Chief O'Brien. That's why my mind immediately went to something Gaelic as she said those beautiful words.

by Anonymousreply 51October 28, 2017 4:18 PM

The actress' name is Mary Wiseman. I mean, I don't want to stereotype...

May the sun and the moon watch your comings and goings in the endless nights and days that are before you...

by Anonymousreply 52October 28, 2017 4:54 PM

Wiseman is so great.

by Anonymousreply 53October 28, 2017 5:43 PM

I like the show so far. Tyler is great, so is Tilly, Stamets and Saru are pretty cool too. I hated Michael the first couple of episodes but she's growing on me. The only thing I don't like are the Klingons. Their behavior is not very Klingon like and they're boring.

Looking forward to the new episodes.

by Anonymousreply 54October 28, 2017 11:56 PM

Just something for our all viewing pleasure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 29, 2017 3:09 AM

I cannot wait for tomorrow's episode.

Also, we only have two episodes to go after tomorrow. I think the new batch of episodes will air in early 2018.

Preview:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 29, 2017 5:24 AM

Curious why they chose to make the Klingons look so different from the TNG-era Klingons

by Anonymousreply 57October 29, 2017 3:03 PM

It's been mentioned before that Fuller himself wanted that so he could hide the transformation of one of the characters. I was also slightly bothered by the redesign, even though I'm not particularly invested in the facial features of any ST species. However, I have to say, these Klingons and the ones in the JJ Abrams movies are the only ones that actually scare me. So good job, I guess?

And lest we forget, they originally looked like white people made up as Mongols.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 29, 2017 3:16 PM

I actually love the Klingon redesign and how varied and, as mentioned above, scary they look.

Love their armor, too.

by Anonymousreply 59October 29, 2017 4:00 PM

I still prefer, in my own sad Gen-X way, the original Klingons, those swarthy Mongol devils

(the linked pic compares the first three iterations of Klingons, not just the TNG version shown here)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 29, 2017 4:09 PM

Star Trek discovery Sucks. I'm not a traditional "Trekkie", but was a Star Trek fan. I can't enjoy a show with unlikeable characters. And I personally find the writing to be bad.

by Anonymousreply 61October 29, 2017 5:28 PM

agree, 61. I expressed this view in the earlier thread. I wish it would have been a non-Trek stand alone series. It would still be bad, which is par for the course when it comes to most (sci-fi channel) TV science fiction, but it wouldn't be incorporated into the Trek universe.

by Anonymousreply 62October 29, 2017 5:32 PM

I, on the other hand, enjoy the show a lot. I appreciate the show as a modern take of the Star Trek idea. It's one of very few show I enjoy watching in a way that I don't do other things while watching. Usually my mind wanders off and I start reading or browsing the web. Not with Discovery.

by Anonymousreply 63October 29, 2017 5:53 PM

I agree with r61 and r62. I've been a Trekker since I was a kid and I don't give a shit about this series. Saw the first episode and was like 'meh'. Not enough for me to shell out 10 bucks a month for some online streaming shit. Plus setting a show in the pre-ST:Original timeline is so tired. Enterprise anyone?

I would've gave the show more of a chance if they had said this was Abrams continuity pre-Kirk, to explain why the technology looks so far advanced than what we see in ST: Original but noooo. They just have to be extra. Yeah, yeah, we can't have ST: Original technology in this age of TV. Then don't do that timeline. ST: Discovery could've been easily set in the post-TNG/DS9/Voy timeline and it's the decision not to do that which annoys me the most. It was a very narrow-minded decision.

Oh and don't even get me started on the Klingons. WTF!!! Again, the Discovery Klingons look more like the ones in the Abrams ST universe. Why just make the show take place before Chris Pine and company. I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 64October 29, 2017 6:11 PM

I understand you don't intend to pay for another streaming service but judging the entire series based on the first episode alone (not even the first two) is bizarre because those two episodes are a prequel of sorts. A lot of the Trekkies on Reddit have come around on this series precisely because the opening was so different to the rest of it. It's the showrunners fault, of course, for structuring the series that way.

[quote]It was a very narrow-minded decision.

In your opinion. This Trekkie thinks it was a fantastic one.

by Anonymousreply 65October 29, 2017 6:35 PM

R56 I also can't wait for the episode and I can't believe there's only two left this year. I hadn't realized just how starved I had been for a Star Trek show before this started airing. I want Trek all the time, year-round!

This is also my first Trek where I'm discussing it with other people online after it airs. I grew up watching Voyager before we got an internet connection in our household and I just conditioned myself that Trek-watching amounts to a solitary experience. It's so much more fun when you get to share the experience with others. That includes being on #TeamTilly and lusting over Ash Tyler.

by Anonymousreply 66October 29, 2017 6:51 PM

R63 I agree. I really love Discovery and find it to be refreshing. I don't understand how anyone can trash this show especially considering how bad Star Trek has been at times in the past.

by Anonymousreply 67October 29, 2017 7:39 PM

Agreed, R65. The show really doesn't take off, pun intended, until Episode 3.

by Anonymousreply 68October 29, 2017 7:40 PM

If the show was on TV rather than CBS Access or whatever the fuck they call it, I would probably be willing to give it a couple more episodes. Well actually, I would've cut if off after killing off Michelle Yeoh in the second episode, a great actress who deserved better.

I just have to wonder if most Trekkers are feeding into the nerd stereotype that they'll like anything Star Trek related even though they know a better show could've been done. I'm not that type of Trekker. I'm not saying I'm better than the Trekkers I just referenced but I just think a personal standard should be set as to what you're willing to accept from the TPTB who are just looking to make a profit.

by Anonymousreply 69October 29, 2017 7:49 PM

It's not Traditional Star Trek. They focused too much on trying to be "different" and lost the spirit of the show. I've watched it all so far. So it's not based on only one episode. I felt it was missing something, so I went to Netflix and watched a few classic Next Generation episodes. While somewhat dated ,it has held up well considering it was 30 years ago. And it has a certain feel that this new show doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 70October 29, 2017 8:38 PM

Agreed R70. If the Michael character were raised by a generic Vulcan (and not Sarek), and the"Klingons" were new alien with a new name, it would be fitting to be set 15 years after Voyager. The Newer tech would fit and a lot of the fans would be satisfied. It wasn't planned out well, which shows through and explains all the production delays.

by Anonymousreply 71October 29, 2017 8:42 PM

Well, I for one am rooting for it to endure. I love and am genuinely interested in all of the characters and I think it has the ingredients to be really, really great.

by Anonymousreply 72October 29, 2017 9:09 PM

I had such a crush on Jayne Brook when she was on Chicago Hope, back in my straight phase. I literally only remember a single episode where she accidentally infected herself with HIV from a chimpanzee. What a blast from the past it was, seeing her as an admiral in this show.

Love the obligatory silver streak in her hair that all admirals must have by law.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 29, 2017 9:37 PM

It's like every single guy on the Discovery was selected for hotness.

Some of them are even in bands!

by Anonymousreply 74October 30, 2017 1:04 AM

A perfect Star Trek episode. Flawless from beginning to end.

My darling Saru gets an episode next week and if they end up doing what the promo leads us to believe, I am done with this show. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 75October 30, 2017 1:26 AM

Ahhhh!

by Anonymousreply 76October 30, 2017 2:55 AM

They can and should even at this late date just say that they goofed and that this is a a separate universe / time line. Hell, comics have tons of different versions of the same characters. So what.

by Anonymousreply 77October 30, 2017 3:26 AM

Oh man, this show just gets better and better. I agree, R75, this was, to use your words, a perfect and utterly flawless episode in the traditional vein of Star Trek.

Martin-Green continues to impress, giving a fantastic performance as a human conditioned to be a Vulcan. She's cold, at times stilted and awkward, but it serves the character, who was trained to disregard how they feel. When she does crack, she thaws quickly. She was luminous during her two emotional moments tonight.

Her dance with Anthony Rapp, who was spectacular, was EVERYTHING.

An overall amazing episode.

Previews for next week have me dying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 30, 2017 4:21 AM

Omg. I can't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 30, 2017 4:27 AM

Covered here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 30, 2017 4:28 AM

I am enjoying Rapp as the Spore Drive Interface and the guy who takes Mudd out. He is my favorite gay albino as he practically glows on the Discovery set.

by Anonymousreply 81October 30, 2017 4:38 AM

R81 They really gave him some great moments to work with and he really shined. He was so cold and off-putting during his first appearance in episode 3. They've allowed his character to do a complete 180, which is great.

Sari is obviously central next episode and I can't wait to see what they explore with him

Such a beautiful show. Tilly at the party was so fucking cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 30, 2017 4:50 AM

*Saru

by Anonymousreply 83October 30, 2017 4:50 AM

r82, agreed.

r81

by Anonymousreply 84October 30, 2017 4:58 AM

Loved the episode. Loved Stamets. Loved Michal. Loved Ash! I though all the characters are getting an amazing development. Michael and Stamets' little dance was adorable.

by Anonymousreply 85October 30, 2017 5:07 AM

I want to know more about that cyborg/alien looking woman.

by Anonymousreply 86October 30, 2017 5:14 AM

[quote] Also the actor who is now playing the character Shazad was originally cast as, doesn't actually appear to exist, infact his first name is Shazad's middle name ... hmmmmm!

The actor listed playing Voq is "Javid Iqbal" - Shazad Latif uses a stage name, i.e., Latif. His real name is Shazad Iqbal. He is half Scottish/English and half Pakistani. He's a North London boy. Javid means Alive or Living and Iqbal means prosperity - so in effect it means Live Long and Prosper. LOL!

If Ash is Voq then there are a number of ways he can still be in Season 2. It could prove very interesting and more opportunities for Burnham's story arc. He could either have the real Ash's body but have Voq's mind in there or Ash could still be alive elsewhere if there was some way they changed Voq physically into Ash.

There is a funny twitter account by someone pretending to be Javid Iqbal. Whoever is doing it is having a good time.

I have never been a Trekkie but I saw the original as a child with my dad who like Gene Roddenberry was a B-17 flyer in WW2 in the Pacific. I wonder if my dad knew that. I have nice memories of a fun and forward thinking show and enjoyed some of the films. I was looking forward to this but despite the effusive praise above from some I find the writing and dialogue to be terrible. With a few exceptions I also find the acting pretty bad. That dancing scene is pretty amateurish both in acting and dialogue. Martin-Green is just not showing any decent acting chops so far.

Tilly is annoying as hell and rather insulting as a female character. Why does she have to be so silly? She's almost graduated from a military academy and is a scientist.

I'm not a huge sci fi fan but after it went off the air I stumbled upon and watched all of BSG. I still think the revived Battle Star Galactica beats all the others hands down - writing, story lines, acting, nice combo of dark and lighter stories. And this was from the very first episode. A great series. This Star Trek is no where near it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 30, 2017 5:41 AM

R87 It's above and beyond it.

by Anonymousreply 88October 30, 2017 6:00 AM

R88, silly girl. Did your agent tell you that?

by Anonymousreply 89October 30, 2017 6:25 AM

R89 No. Spock did.

by Anonymousreply 90October 30, 2017 6:47 AM

Best episode of the series, but certainly not perfect. Rapp's character just suddenly decides to give himself up to Mudd (thus potentially killing/capturing his entire crew and give the war to the Klingons)? Outrageous and stupid cowardice.

The time loop idea was stolen from TNG, as well as the space whale (or, could be argued, the movies). And what happened to the whale?

by Anonymousreply 91October 30, 2017 7:44 AM

The "Let's teach Michael to dance" scene had Paul talking about how he and Hugh fell for each other made me realize what Hugh sees in him.

by Anonymousreply 92October 30, 2017 9:28 AM

Can't believe the Spacey thing dropped on the same night as Rapp gets to shine. As someone upthread said, he was luminous and just a ball of energy this episode.

R89 Nah, this show is perfection. I'm living for both the dialogue and the writing, and that's coming from someone who skips much of the dialogue in much of the shows I'm watching these days because of the sheer number of shows I've seen in my life. Times change; even BSG, which I adore, would be considered too talky in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 93October 30, 2017 10:58 AM

R91 The time loop idea is older than Star Trek, so is not "stolen" from TNG. Besides, Voyager did it as well.

by Anonymousreply 94October 30, 2017 11:02 AM

They're hitting their groove now.

by Anonymousreply 95October 30, 2017 3:21 PM

R93 I don't think it's a coincidence, it was probably timed. He was just on After Trek and then 30 minutes later - boom, the news is out.

by Anonymousreply 96October 30, 2017 6:05 PM

The Tardigrade DNA altered his personality to where he FINALLY could tell someone what Kevin did!

by Anonymousreply 97October 30, 2017 7:31 PM

So, when Michael told Paul her secret was that she'd never been in love before, she really meant that she was a virgin, right?

by Anonymousreply 98October 30, 2017 7:42 PM

At least the Vulcans didn't treat her as badly as the Japanese would have. Still, dick move on Sarek's part to take a damaged little human girl and try to turn her Vulcan.

by Anonymousreply 99October 30, 2017 7:51 PM

R98 Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 100October 30, 2017 9:15 PM

It was a great episode. Action, sci fi and a clever way to develop a love story. Really loved it. And I realized that this show has what some Star Trek shows lacked sorely: Chemistry among their cast and characters. Especially TNG and VOY, while being very good in their unique ways, had a cast with a lot of poor chemistry. DS9, TOS and this show have a cast with much better chemistry.

Oh, and nice touch to play 'Staying Alive' on the party... over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 101October 31, 2017 4:03 AM

Brilliant show!

by Anonymousreply 102October 31, 2017 12:02 PM

The most unrealistic thing about this show is not a mushroom drive or Klingons eating humans, but that a hot ass Wilson Cruz looking doctor would go for a whiny piece of white bread who looks like Anthony Rapp.

by Anonymousreply 103October 31, 2017 4:22 PM

r103 Behave

by Anonymousreply 104October 31, 2017 4:33 PM

The show is not perfect, nor do I expect it to be. I had a long list of reasons why I thought this would suck or fail (the all-access paywall, the choice of timeline, the obvious anachronistic technology, a character who is genetically disposed to detect danger—good luck with that not hamstringing plots, the ship was ugly, etc etc), but it has exceeded my expectations,

As said before, the two-part pilot was horrible, and I still have heartburn about the more developed tech (in ship site-to-site transporters as one example), and I fucking despise the Klingons; however, I am finding it to be an enjoyable hour to spend, so I will stay hopeful that it will improve.

Note to show runners: USE SUBTITLES FOR FUCK’S SAKE. Interminable scenes where actors try to enunciate their staccato Klingon words whike struggling to say them despite the limiting prosthetics (they sound like their mouths are filled with cotton, FFS!) do nothing but slow tempo and lose momentum. You devoted so much pre-airing press about the accuracy and precision and devotion you devoted to getting the Klingon speech articulated. Except for a few fanboys, who gives a fuck? Have one or two lines of Klingon and then transition to English: we all know the trope and will understand. As it is, I groan when the action is interrupted by a cut to a Klingon-only scene. FIX THIS.

by Anonymousreply 105October 31, 2017 5:06 PM

R105 There was no Klingons in the last episode, what did you think of it?

by Anonymousreply 106October 31, 2017 5:23 PM

Yeah, the Klingon scenes go on forever because of the slow speech. Their scenes remind me of previous, talkier Star Trek series that I used as a nap-inducing mechanism for when I returned tired from school. And the font is tough to read, even though it does succeed in immersing me into the Klingon culture. But then again, why don't the Vulcans speak Vulcan?

I read somewhere that one of the main reasons the first season of any show is always the hardest is because the writers don't yet see how their material plays on screen. And yes, I know that's what table-reading is for, but still; it's different when you get to write scenes after having seen the final product. So I'm sure many of these kinks will get sorted out for the second season. I cringe at first seasons of previous ST shows and they all managed to find their footing eventually.

by Anonymousreply 107October 31, 2017 5:26 PM

This season was in development hell and went through like 20 showrunners, no wonder it's a mess. Ironically, it got better after Episode 3 which was the last Bryan Fuller was involved in. And yet people think his departure is what killed the show.

by Anonymousreply 108October 31, 2017 5:30 PM

That episode was a mess. Mary Michael Sue figuring out time manipulation technology working backwards from a single technobabble phrase. Time Crystals! Of course! Even Data needed a computer to investigate with. Miss Special only needs five seconds.

by Anonymousreply 109November 1, 2017 9:59 AM

Great episode. First proper away mission next week! I bet it was filmed just outside Vancouver so get ready for some proper forests, not that arid Californian bullshit we always tend to see on TV.

by Anonymousreply 110November 1, 2017 11:25 AM

Everyone should watch After Trek. Wilson Cruz was hot as hell and he's also a funny dude, Anthony Rapp was on too suspiciously relaxed considering the story that was being dropped at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 111November 1, 2017 5:10 PM

Someone asked where Lorca keeps that Tribble of his and what its name is and Isaacs couldn't pass on a naughty reply:

[quote]It’s called Merkin and it’s just below deck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 1, 2017 5:15 PM

Shazad bought Oscar a table tennis table for his birthday and proceeded to crush him in front of everyone. So cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 1, 2017 5:25 PM

I believe the table was for Jason Isaacs.

by Anonymousreply 114November 3, 2017 3:52 AM

God damn it, I get my Isaac(s) mixed up [italic]all the time![/italic] Well, now I have to come up with one of those extra special brain tricks so I won't ever mix them up again.

Oscar is part Guatemalan, right? So G kinda looks like an O. Yeah, that'll do it.

by Anonymousreply 115November 3, 2017 11:44 AM

I know this shit has been renewed for a 2nd season but I really hope that season's its last.

by Anonymousreply 116November 4, 2017 7:09 PM

What I really don’t understand is...

An author - and publisher! - knows you have to really suck your reader in writhin the first fifty pages/few chapters. If people get bored and put the book down - you’ve blown it.

Some of the better cable/streaming series really have this down pat - to the point where it became predictable and annoying that the first two or three episodes of each season would be stellar - then the rest of the season would be a whole lot of filler until the final two episodes came along and kicked into high gear again...

Star Trek Discovery completely goes against the grain and had two really meh opening episodes that were almost calculated to piss any fans of the previous shows off. I only kept watching cos my partner didn’t d. He loves just about any sci-fi drek as he loves the effects.

By the fourth episode - I was loving it. Great cast - great characters, pace, design. Plot intrigues. Not without some annoying little contrafictions or illogic - but not enough to really pull me out of the story and switch off.

So I’m boggled that - once again - a production company’s prepared to invest that much money and time and energy - and yet have two mediocre scripts to begin with. I understand that it’s been a ‘difficult’ production for various reasons - but seriously? Anyway - hope it does well and succeeds based on what’s been shown so far - but if it does - it seems like it’s almost in spite of itself!

by Anonymousreply 117November 4, 2017 8:19 PM

There's some speculation that the first two episodes weren't originally discrete episodes, they were flashbacks sprinkled throughout the season.

by Anonymousreply 118November 4, 2017 8:21 PM

I'm so glad Tom of Tom&Lorenzo mentioned in their latest podcast that he's falling in love with this show and is actively looking forward to it every week. I was worried about my taste levels for a while there.

R117 The only other way to tell the Shenzhou story would be to gradually reveal it in flashbacks throughout the season. And I can just see that pissing off people even more than immediately front-loading two relatively weaker episodes and then get to the good part. In any case, I loved the premiere so it's not like it's a universal consensus that they sucked or enraged fans.

by Anonymousreply 119November 4, 2017 8:29 PM

I understand fans having critiques, but screaming "this show is shit" is beyond the pale.

There are so many wonderful aspects to it, you'd have to be hellbent on tearing it down to not take notice.

by Anonymousreply 120November 4, 2017 8:49 PM

I did not know Harry Mudd was a character first introduced in the original series.

.y mother,a longtime Trekkie, schooled me, lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 4, 2017 8:55 PM

^*My

by Anonymousreply 122November 4, 2017 9:00 PM

r116 If you kill yourself now you won't have to watch the 2nd season and also the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th...

by Anonymousreply 123November 4, 2017 9:33 PM

Last episode of the year Tonight!

by Anonymousreply 124November 6, 2017 12:38 AM

There's one more after tonight.

by Anonymousreply 125November 6, 2017 12:44 AM

R125 nope. It's the 9th episode.

by Anonymousreply 126November 6, 2017 12:50 AM

Next week is the 9th episode. This is the 8th.

by Anonymousreply 127November 6, 2017 12:57 AM

R127 We'll see...

by Anonymousreply 128November 6, 2017 12:59 AM

Eighth episode is tonight. One more to go, although not sure when it's scheduled, something I saw said January, other things show next week.

by Anonymousreply 129November 6, 2017 12:59 AM

What do you mean, we'll see? There's one more episode, then they break until January and return with another six.

by Anonymousreply 130November 6, 2017 1:00 AM

R130 lol. You're adorbz.

by Anonymousreply 131November 6, 2017 1:03 AM

Glad there are more episodes still coming in January, hate the season breaks, but I'm really getting into this show.

by Anonymousreply 132November 6, 2017 1:06 AM

Tonight's episode looks great. It already started, I think.

by Anonymousreply 133November 6, 2017 1:08 AM

CBS has been putting it on their apps around 8 EST for the last few weeks. The time on the label is 8:30, but I check the app on my Apple TV about 8:05, and it's there.

by Anonymousreply 134November 6, 2017 1:10 AM

Tonight’s episode was a total waste of an hour! Whoever wrote it should be banned Faron the franchise forever. It was another BOKK! Ta’KLAPF CHOOK! Bla! Klingon time waster with segments from Avatar thrown in between the Klingon time-chewing scenes. God awful.

by Anonymousreply 135November 6, 2017 2:14 AM

I actually liked the Klingons this time but the rest of the episode was zzzzzzz... It was really off, like it was cut short and half of the plot was lost in the process. The Saru subplot was useless and wasn't even good character development because we knew about his fear/prey dilemma from the start. The Stamets subplot got intriguing but never came to any resolution, they even cut his second scene shorter - it's obvious that they left it for the next episode, but then why even bring it up in this one? I don't get happened to the Admiral, so is she dead or is she not? If Ash is Voq , they'll have to pull something really far fetched to make the theory work.

Either way, this show is such a hit-or-miss mess. They need to be more consistent, hopefully next season will be better structured.

by Anonymousreply 136November 6, 2017 4:12 AM

It was even blue and floaty like Avatar, R135. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 137November 6, 2017 11:34 AM

Weird pacing and the Klingon plot was a bit convoluted but still a good episode. I feel like Saru is a stand-in character for those of us with anxiety disorders. His line about not knowing a single moment in his life without fear struck me as I came to realize something similar about myself just last week and it really is a horrible way to live. Too bad his change wasn't permanent because he literally kicks ass when he's courageous. Unfortch, that also means he stops being gentle, which is exactly what draws me to his character.

I feel so bad for those spirits as they do have noble intentions. But - much like the Borg - they go about it the wrong way.

by Anonymousreply 138November 6, 2017 11:59 AM

The show was improving every episode from the second one onward...until last night. Who green lighted this hot mess? Boring, meandering, more completely over stressed Klingon soap opera. Abysmal.

by Anonymousreply 139November 6, 2017 4:04 PM

The Klingons as portrayed on this show is the worse element. Again, they look like the Klingons in the Abrams ST universe. Why didn't they just set the show in that continuity. Ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 140November 6, 2017 4:23 PM

And, R140, why the hell did they think their slavish attention to these mutant Klingons would pay off with fans? Big fucking deal: they’re Klingons, who gives a shit?

by Anonymousreply 141November 6, 2017 10:56 PM

Agree that the centrality of the Klingons was probably a mistake, I just don't care about their internal politics and power struggles. This last episaode was a hot mess, and coming so closely on the heels of the wonderful Harry Mudd episode makes the deficiencies all the more evident. I hope the mid-season finale next week ends things on a better note.

by Anonymousreply 142November 6, 2017 11:09 PM

Funnily enough, as much as I thought this was a weak episode, the boring talky parts are exactly what I associate with good ol' Trek.

Is it just me or was that battle at the beginning pretty confusing? And I realize they're a science vessel but why the hell didn't they shoot continuously as soon as they arrived? Such incompetence. I bet AI would fare a hundred times better than human tacticians.

I said earlier we'd be seeing woods around Vancouver but we actually saw the Niagara Escarpment somewhere in Ontario. At least the scenery was nice. And seeing Saru in action was scary. Just imagine the predators that bred Kelpians!

by Anonymousreply 143November 6, 2017 11:33 PM

[quote]I said earlier we'd be seeing woods around Vancouver but we actually saw the Niagara Escarpment somewhere in Ontario.

Like Hannibal, this films in Toronto.

And I'm surprised I haven't seen Trekkies bitching that we didn't get any location shooting at Vasquez Rocks.

by Anonymousreply 144November 6, 2017 11:43 PM

[quote]... but why the hell didn't they shoot continuously as soon as they arrived? Such incompetence. I bet AI would fare a hundred times better than human tacticians.

Makes it clear the whole idea that Discovery is able to single-handedly turn the tide of the war is preposterous. The effect of mushrooming in on the Klingons is precisely like a cloaked ship appearing next to you, and that doesn't single-handedly win a battle (as this opening battle demontrates). In fact, it's worse, since cloaked ships only have to appear when firing, but 'the shroom ship is stranded until they can recalculate and have a black alert to pop ou again.

Dumb show.

by Anonymousreply 145November 7, 2017 12:28 AM

[bold]Isaacs found Trekkies harder to please than Potter fans[/bold]

Yeah, we're definitely the worst. Hands down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146November 7, 2017 11:30 AM

Star Trek is finished...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147November 8, 2017 9:04 AM

r147 Only if your deluded

by Anonymousreply 148November 9, 2017 5:04 AM

[quote] In fact, it's worse, since cloaked ships only have to appear when firing, but 'the shroom ship is stranded until they can recalculate and have a black alert to pop ou again.

True, but cloaked ships have to physically arrive there and physically leave. They're also physically there while they are cloaked even if you can't see them. It's possible to track a cloaked ship either by guessing where it is or by whatever deus ex machina the writers introduce. Even Deanna Troi, once actually proving herself useful, used her empathic powers to figure out where a cloaked ship was and fire on it when they thought they were hidden.

The Discovery appears and then disappears not just from visual sensors but physically as well. They can't be tracked before they arrive or after they leave. There is no indicator that the ship is moving into the vicinity or leaving. They can't be chased. They do have to recalculate every jump but once they've jumped they're home free.

You're right, that doesn't win battles but the technology is new to them. They've finally got something that is a step up from cloaking.

by Anonymousreply 149November 9, 2017 6:25 AM

Had a crazy week. Haven't had a chance to watch Ep. 8 yet, but watching it tonight.

Some of you bitches just like being little Ms. Debbie Downer. It's okay, though...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150November 9, 2017 2:07 PM

Last episode before the break tonight.

The had better not go down the "tragic gay death" road!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151November 12, 2017 10:26 AM

R151 I still have to watch Ep 8. I'll watch both tonight. I'm so nervous!

by Anonymousreply 152November 12, 2017 4:14 PM

Wow, that was great. Best episode by a wide margin.

And they even kissed. Granted, it was a signifier that everything was doomed, but it made me very, very happy.

by Anonymousreply 153November 13, 2017 1:00 AM

That was a great episode. And FINALLY we had Klingons speaking English in scenes when the universal translator was running, meaning fewer fucking subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 154November 13, 2017 2:30 AM

And they made a date to see La Boheme. Subtle.

by Anonymousreply 155November 13, 2017 2:36 AM

Ash Tyler's junk was flopping around in his sweats when he opened the door for Burnham.

by Anonymousreply 156November 13, 2017 3:23 AM

R155 I loved the Rent reference, lol. The episode was amazing and I fully believe Lorca manipulated Stamets into jumping into another universe.

by Anonymousreply 157November 13, 2017 6:10 AM

Great episode for mid-season finale. I'm really liking this show, despite the issues with fitting it into the trek universe. I'm just looking at it as a stand alone show for now. Shazad Latif is sex on a stick, love watching him. Really looking forward to its return in January.

by Anonymousreply 158November 13, 2017 7:25 AM

I'm with Doomcock, R147. RIP Star Trek.

by Anonymousreply 159November 13, 2017 8:18 AM

Excellent episode! I was creaming myself watching that space battle. And yes, Lorca overrode jump coordinates from his panel and then said to himself "Let's go home." He's the mirror universe Lorca, y'all! Why else would he be mapping portals to other dimensions in time of war when no one else thought of that possibility? And why the hell is he so protective of Michael, anyway? Although I'm still hoping they jumped to the Gamma Quadrant.

Not so good: Pahvo goes silent without explanation, and repeating exposition. Do we really need Michael saying what the pattern emitters are for when Ash said the exact same thing a minute earlier?

I also noticed Ash Tyler's horsecock as he opened the door to Michael. And his ass looked delicious in those sweatpants when he was visiting L'Rell. Basically, every other show should take tips from the Discovery costume designer on how to cut and fit pants properly as everyone's ass looks amazing on this show.

by Anonymousreply 160November 13, 2017 11:35 AM

R260 mirror universe Lorca might need regular universe Burnham if something happened to mirror Burnham but they still need a Burnham for some reason. Not a spoiler, just my 2 cents.

by Anonymousreply 161November 13, 2017 11:47 AM

R161 Yes, that might be it. Or maybe he was really attached to her in his own universe. Perhaps they were something more than just coworkers? Wouldn't that be something.

I take back my Gamma Quadrant suggestion because why would Lorca want to go there? Jumping in time is probably out of the question as well. Discovery clearly doubled just before it jumped so the mirror universe would be my final guess.

Please don't kill Stamets, show. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 162November 13, 2017 11:59 AM

First kiss between two men on Star Trek, bitches! It's my favourite franchise and I've never felt more included in my life.

There's no stopping us now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163November 13, 2017 1:34 PM

I had to pause the show to get a look at Ash's big cock, thanks to the poster who noticed it. Someone in the wardrobe department is my new best friend.

by Anonymousreply 164November 13, 2017 1:46 PM

R160 I agree that the costume designer did a great job fitting the costumes. Jason Isaacs ass looks amazing in his uniform.

by Anonymousreply 165November 13, 2017 3:32 PM

So does Wilson Cruz’s. Actually, they all look good, even Rapp with his slight middle-aged spread.

...I may have gotten something stuck in my throat when the show’s official Twitter sent out that gif of Paul and Hugh kissing.

by Anonymousreply 166November 13, 2017 4:07 PM

Isaacs' huge package at the end when he gets up from his chair after they land in the alien universe was so distracting I had to rewind the scene to hear what was said. No more black pants on ST officers, please. We can [italic]never[/italic] go back after this!

by Anonymousreply 167November 13, 2017 4:19 PM

Haven't read the last 15 or so posts and I only now just caught up on Ep. 8. I dont get the hate. I LOVED it. It was talky and old school and I thought the bit about Saru never knowing a life without fear was really poignant.

Anyway, going to watch the finale now.

by Anonymousreply 168November 13, 2017 4:35 PM

It's been twenty years to the day since one of my favourite Voyager episodes, Year of Hell, first premiered. How time flies. I hope I'm around to make a similar comment about the first gay kiss* here on DL twenty years hence. And to think Datalounge had already been around for two years when that episode premiered!

*Well, that or the Klingon tits. Because Reddit seems to be obsessed with that detail.

by Anonymousreply 169November 13, 2017 5:07 PM

I missed the Klingon tits.

by Anonymousreply 170November 13, 2017 5:13 PM

Also, it’s the second gay kiss, but since the first one was lez-lez, we don’t have to count it.

by Anonymousreply 171November 13, 2017 5:14 PM

I was careful to use the "first kiss between two men" phrasing in all my previous posts and of course someone would immediately jump on my cock for shortening it to "first gay kiss". It is DL, after all.

Of course, we shouldn't minimize the importance of that lesbian kiss but it was obviously done from the male perspective for the male enjoyment. I mean, just look at it! Oh, to be a fly on the wall when these two actors were being given direction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172November 13, 2017 6:07 PM

Great sorta-finale and cliffhanger!

Screencaps of bulges and butts, please.

by Anonymousreply 173November 13, 2017 6:14 PM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but according to Doug Jones, the starfleet uniform pants feature padded asses for the male cast. Jones doesn't wear any padding because they felt his flat ass contributed to the alien look they were going for with Saru.

by Anonymousreply 174November 13, 2017 6:37 PM

R174 I knew it was too good to be true. The padding seems like a ridiculous expense but at $8 million per episode, they could do whatever they wanted.

There's an alternate universe where the showrunners opted not to go for the padding and we're all bitching about their non-existing butts. So I kinda appreciate the extra effort made for their female and gay audience.

by Anonymousreply 175November 13, 2017 6:56 PM

R175 This is not unique to discovery, costume designers often pad costumes for both men and women for a better looking fit. Marina Sirtis has made numerous jokes over the years about the Starfleet issue bra which adds a cup size for every woman. Certainly Jeri Ryan on Voyager was wearing mountains of padding on her tits and ass.

by Anonymousreply 176November 13, 2017 7:48 PM

I'm going to pretend we're still in a universe where all men's asses are that fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 177November 13, 2017 11:24 PM

Well, Fuck. I just caught the finale. I have no words. This was excellent and again, far exceeded my expectations. This feels like a fresh yet subtle nostalgic take on the series. I adore every character the overall arc of the show seems to be building towards something great.

Martin-Green has been a revelation. The entire cast is superb, actually.

Waciting until Jan. will be torture.

by Anonymousreply 178November 13, 2017 11:54 PM

I'm joining all the praise of how fantastic the mid-season finale was. Everything about it came together: the acting, pacing, cinematography, the music, and most importantly for me, some beautiful character work. What a wonderfully emotional and compelling episode. I'm with you, r178. The two month wait is going to be a tough one.

by Anonymousreply 179November 14, 2017 12:41 AM

I deserve the Lieutenant Command MARY! I'm about to get from this, but I honestly teared up a few times.

by Anonymousreply 180November 14, 2017 12:45 AM

Me too!

by Anonymousreply 181November 14, 2017 12:55 AM

One of the producers said when he read the script that the episode was going to be "Balance of Terror" good.

He was correct.

[quote]The padding seems like a ridiculous expense but at $8 million per episode, they could do whatever they wanted.

Aaron Harbets, the showrunner, is one of us. And we should all thank him.

by Anonymousreply 182November 14, 2017 12:57 AM

Every character is so interesting and the stakes are high for all of them. I don't think I've been this quickly enamored with an entire crew since TOS.

And the best part is, the themes are all so topical and relevant to the current state of things, socially and politically.

Just superb!

by Anonymousreply 183November 14, 2017 12:58 AM

What time stamp was the cock-flop?

by Anonymousreply 184November 14, 2017 8:04 AM

R183 is over-the-top sarcasm. The best kind.

by Anonymousreply 185November 14, 2017 8:06 AM

Did that loser who accused us of being shills finally leave? Thank god.

The episode was fantastic. Not only did it feature the first kiss between two men but also had some of the more realistic portrayals of PTSD on Star Trek, delved into the trauma of a man who was sexually abused and had a woman console him instead of the other way round! Brilliant! And I'm not saying it's only good purely from the social issues point of view, all of that actually ties very well into the plot and gives a very fresh feeling to the franchise. The show still uses a lot of cliches of storytelling (like the 1 week from retirement situation with Staments) but they are mostly harmless. I'm very intrigued by Lorca's character, CLEARLY he is not what he seems! And I love Stamets. Anthony Rapp might not be a looker but his character managed to win me over despite starting out as a cranky asshole (quite realistically so) and had some of the best character developments (considering it's only been 9 episodes). And great butt padding work on other male characters!

by Anonymousreply 186November 14, 2017 8:11 AM

I caught Lorca's eyes darting to Stamets lips for a second. Maybe dark universe Lorca is a bussyhound.

by Anonymousreply 187November 14, 2017 9:00 AM

R171 it's actually the third gay kiss. DS9 had two lesbian kisses: 1 between Jadzia Dax and Lenora Kahn and another between mirror Kira and Mirror Erzi. This is the first male/male kiss in Trek history though.

by Anonymousreply 188November 14, 2017 1:28 PM

What did Stametz mean when he said "Captain, I didn't know you cared." to Lorca?

by Anonymousreply 189November 14, 2017 5:28 PM

R186 Agreed!

by Anonymousreply 190November 14, 2017 5:28 PM

CBS really needs to air this on TV. It would be such a hit.

by Anonymousreply 191November 14, 2017 5:45 PM

Anthony Rapp has two expressions, a scowl and a frown.

by Anonymousreply 192November 14, 2017 6:04 PM

R192 You haven't watched all of the episodes then, Kevin.

by Anonymousreply 193November 14, 2017 6:11 PM

r1993 haha you fooking paedo

by Anonymousreply 194November 14, 2017 6:25 PM

Another Klingon, I see, R194.

by Anonymousreply 195November 14, 2017 7:55 PM

i read online that Tyler is having flashbacks to the surgeries he had AS A KLINGON to make him look human. That he is KLINGON! Worf's grandad?

by Anonymousreply 196November 14, 2017 10:16 PM

R196 gtfo!

by Anonymousreply 197November 14, 2017 10:21 PM

The Guardian review is a thumbs up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198November 14, 2017 11:44 PM

Not just any Klingon, but Voq, faithful disciple of T’Kuvma and romantic partner of L’Rell. So, she has Voq genetically and surgically altered to look human, wipes his memories of that fact, and fucks him regularly until the day Lorca arrives.

There are a lot of holes in this theory. One of my main ones is that any ship bio sensor would ID him right away as non-human. However, the writers just presented devices in the mid season finale that will mask one’s true life signs and make humans appear as Klingons to computer systems. Of course, we also know that Tyler was examined by medical officers when he first arrived on the Discovery with Lorca. Surely the difference in layout of internal organs, etc. would be readily apparent to a humanoid doctor and a medical scanning bed?

by Anonymousreply 199November 15, 2017 10:41 AM

Tyler is Voq. Accept it.

by Anonymousreply 200November 15, 2017 11:02 AM

It's a mistake on the showrunners part if true. The sexual abuse / PTSD storyline was well handled but will lose its potency after the reveal. The character and actor are one of the best things about the show, but if they make the switch he's either off the series or becomes the villain. There's ways around it but they would still lessen the character's appeal.

by Anonymousreply 201November 15, 2017 11:58 AM

Tyler is Voq and CBS accidentally gave it away before Discovery even aired. In one of the first press releases for casting Shazad Latif was listed as playing a Klingon (Kol) but a few weeks later CBS stated that Latif has been recast as Tyler.

Now here's where it gets interesting, in the original draft of the pilot script, Kol was Voq and Voq was Kol. When it was announced that Latif had been "recast," the writers changed Kol's name to Voq and Voq's name to Kol and cast Kenneth Marshall as Kol. Also the actor who plays Voq, Javid Iqbal, has never appeared in any publicity related to the show and has no other credits besides Discovery.....oh and did I mention that Javid is Latif's middle name and Iqbal is his mother's maiden name? Added to that, Bryan Fuller once stated that the major redesign of the Klingon's had a practical story purpose to it e.g. the actors had to be unrecognizable in the makeup.

by Anonymousreply 202November 15, 2017 12:28 PM

Wow. I believe it, R202. But how are they going to adress the very valid question about how the medical staff couldn't recognize him as a klingon? Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 203November 15, 2017 1:51 PM

R202 You and all of your knowledge are too cute, lol. 😘

by Anonymousreply 204November 15, 2017 2:25 PM

Wow, R202, just wow. That info certainly supports the Tyler=Voq theory!

Also, I [italic]think[/italic] I saw a publicity photo somewhere that showed Lorca in his captain's chair with a metal ship placard in the background that said "ISS Discovery" and not "USS Discovery." Can anyone confirm this? This would be definitely support the other theory that Lorca is from the Mirror, Mirror universe. That, and when he said "Let's go home!" promptly followed with him [italic]possibly[/italic] changing the jump destination in the nav panel right before the final jump.

by Anonymousreply 205November 15, 2017 3:39 PM

R205, yep this photo but it's not very clear. However, J. Frakes blabbed that there'd be at least one Mirror Universe episode this season so the theory is very very plausible. I think the show might feature a few parallel universes though, not necessarily focusing on the Mirror one. Lorca might be from one of them and the Mirror Universe would be just a passage on the way "home" for him.

BTW Re: Ash=Voq, I don't think writers are as stupid as to write in such a giant plothole with the human life signs el al, considering the last episode they stressed very heavily that he HAS human life signs which he had to mark with that Iron Man chest thing. There's a possibility that Tyler is a sleeping agent who serves as a container for Voq's mind (maybe a mind/brain transpant of some kind?) which was implanted into him during the torture and which needs a trigger word to be activated. OR Voq has been subjected to genetic manipulations. There is a known storyline from Enterprise which featured a Klingon Augment Virus that basically transformed Klingons into (super)Humans. A weak storyline but it's canon regardless. Or who the fuck knows, it might all be just a red herring or he's just a brainwashed human agent (akin to the Winter Soldier). None of this erases his rape and PTSD storyline though, because what we know for sure is that he is NOT pretending. Even if it's modified Voq he clearly has no memory of being Klingon so far and was traumatized by the abuse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206November 15, 2017 6:21 PM

Thanks, R206, I knew I saw that photo before!

by Anonymousreply 207November 15, 2017 8:56 PM

And also good for the feets troll.

by Anonymousreply 208November 15, 2017 8:58 PM

Yadda yadda yadda. It's a fucking piece of fiction. They can come up with whatever excuse they want as to why Ash has been successful infiltrating his enemy. Are we seriously arguing about "scientific" reasons?

Ash is Voq. They'll explain it however. Actual physical changes or mind switch. The alleged PTSD could just as easily be a Klingon traumatized that he was forcibly turned into a disgusting lower life Human - thus in the process losing one of his extra sex organs. Or whatever.

[quote] ..oh and did I mention that Javid is Latif's middle name and Iqbal is his mother's maiden name?

Latif's middle name is not Javid. His birth name and the name he went by up into theater school was Shazad Khaliq Iqbal. Iqbal is his father's and brother's last name. His mother is Scottish and English. Her maiden name is some typical Anglo-Saxon name. As exotic as they're trying to make him, Latif is a North London boy born and bred who I suspect they asked to stay tanned for this role - cause he is just not this dark in most roles I've seen him in - and I've seen him practically naked.

Javid means Alive or Live or Living - Iqbal means prosperous. So Javid Iqbal can be loosely translated to mean Live Long and Prosper. LOL!

Don't ask how I know all this mundane useless info. I am, however, not some trekkie.

by Anonymousreply 209November 16, 2017 12:45 AM

[quote]I am, however, not some trekkie.

We would never have guessed.

by Anonymousreply 210November 16, 2017 12:57 AM

as long as tyler gets some daddy dick from llorca..why are you bitches gonna complain?

by Anonymousreply 211November 16, 2017 2:42 AM

What was Tyler almost naked in? He was dark skinned in Penny Dreadful too.

by Anonymousreply 212November 16, 2017 2:52 AM

I'm already missing it. I want it to go on for like 10 seasons.

I miss my girls!

by Anonymousreply 213November 16, 2017 3:23 AM

Plot twist - Tyler figures out he was traumatized by the Klingon chick because he doesn't like the vajeen! Lorca makes Tyler his pup and Tyler's always finding ways to upset Captain Daddy and get a spanking!

by Anonymousreply 214November 16, 2017 11:15 AM

[quote] Lorca makes Tyler his pup and Tyler's always finding ways to upset Captain Daddy and get a spanking!

R214, I like it! Sort of a modern day sci-fi Make Room for Daddy.

The Penny Dreadful role was also an exotic character from the Raj. Not sure how I feel about manipulating skin color to fulfill a role - I suppose it's natural if it's your natural tanned skin, especially if you do have that ancestry.

He was in a BBC series called Ordinary Lies where he has an affair with his boss' 15 year old daughter. There are scenes undressing and in bed. Pics on the net. I wish they had left his English accent alone since I think his voice is actually deeper than it seems in an American accent - no idea why that would be.

by Anonymousreply 215November 16, 2017 12:49 PM

Datalounge proves that gays don't care about them middle aged queens on TV and all that representation bullshit. Ya'll just want to see straight characters get it on like Fraus on tumblr!

by Anonymousreply 216November 16, 2017 5:23 PM

This thread is so embarrassing, five eldergays talking back and forth and creaming their jeans that TWO MEN KISSED ON FAUX TREK. O...M...G. Not even tumblr is this embarrassing and they're twelve year old girls.

If you actually want unbiased reviews and a cross section of people read the IMDB reviews. A 7.4 rating is terrible considering all the fan boys jack up the rating and with the amount of money spent.

R191 CBS did air it on tv, the first two episodes, and it tanked. If CBS did air it on tv it wouldn't last past the first season because it's a pile of shit which 90 per cent of the audience knows. But by all means continue focusing on the important aspects of Trek, like OMG HOT GUYS WITH THEIR JUNK BOUNCING AROUND.

by Anonymousreply 217November 22, 2017 11:25 PM

HOT GUYS WITH THEIR JUNK BOUNCING AROUND.

Now THAT'S a review! 10/10

by Anonymousreply 218November 23, 2017 3:38 AM

R217 I didn't bother finishing your post. Too long and indicative of sooo much.

You're clearly hanging by a thread. Literally.

by Anonymousreply 219November 23, 2017 4:08 AM

R217 is obviously operating under the mistaken assumption that we give a fuck about his observations. Most illogical.

by Anonymousreply 220November 25, 2017 1:02 PM

sluts.sluts.. all of em

by Anonymousreply 221November 26, 2017 5:52 AM

Hiya Spock R220. Good to see you crawl out of your basement every once in a while.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222December 1, 2017 6:45 AM

It looks like the show will be available for purchase on Amazon Video soon-ish.

by Anonymousreply 223December 2, 2017 11:37 AM

[quote][R191] CBS did air it on tv, the first two episodes, and it tanked. If CBS did air it on tv it wouldn't last past the first season because it's a pile of shit which 90 per cent of the audience knows. But by all means continue focusing on the important aspects of Trek, like OMG HOT GUYS WITH THEIR JUNK BOUNCING AROUND.

I'm not a Trekkie and I've enjoyed Discovery a lot. The only thing I really haven't liked is Rainn Wilson. His character Harry Mudd just immediately threw me out of the universe. BTW, not sure if it has been mentioned but the show is airing weekly on Netflix in 188 countries, so apparently practically in every country outside North America.

A female friend of mine who's a Trekkie enjoys the show to a point but doesn't like the new Klingons. She was also pissed Michelle Yeoh exited the show so fast.

I'm certainly liking the male candy. I'm totally shipping Captain Lorca and Ash Tyler.

by Anonymousreply 224December 2, 2017 11:58 AM

[quote]The only thing I really haven't liked is Rainn Wilson. His character Harry Mudd just immediately threw me out of the universe

The weird thing is that I ordinarily loathe Rainn Wilson, but I adore his Harry Mudd.

by Anonymousreply 225December 2, 2017 12:06 PM

R217 You sound unhinged and old, clinging to "muh star trek."

Also, the episodes that aired on CBS didn't tank (10 million viewers is fine). It's hard to tell exactly how well it's doing now, but it does extremely well in the streaming demand charts all over the world. Canada is the only place it airs on tv, and it's the number 1 specialty cable show of all time (and typically in the top 15 shows every week despite the disadvantage of being on a paid specialty network).

by Anonymousreply 226December 2, 2017 4:41 PM

Actually only the first part of the premiere episode aired on regular CBS in the US. The second half was on netflix in the US. But they did say the first episode would be free on regular TV - a bit deceptive.

It suffers from poor writing. I'd also say poor acting from enough of the crew to make it painful but it may be unfair to expect any actor to make those lines palatable. Some of the story lines hold enough promise to keep viewers interested despite its many flaws.

by Anonymousreply 227December 2, 2017 9:08 PM

Cunts. Ruin. Everything.

And being cunts they can't see it and they don't care.

by Anonymousreply 228December 2, 2017 9:10 PM

I love this show.

by Anonymousreply 229December 3, 2017 5:20 PM

i want to bum shazad latif

by Anonymousreply 230December 4, 2017 10:56 PM

The DC PBS-UK channel is rerunning Ordinary Lies, BBC 6 episode comedy/drama, from a few years ago. Latif is in it as a regular nd one episode focuses on him as he and his boss' 15 year old start a relationship. Skin shown. He and the daughter are very good in it.

by Anonymousreply 231December 4, 2017 11:56 PM

Huge news: Tarantino to possibly direct a new Star Trek movie!

R230 Get in line, bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232December 5, 2017 1:12 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233December 5, 2017 1:30 AM

R228 Actually cunt everyone can see it thanks to torrents. Though the pile of shit isn't even worth the 30 seconds it takes to find a torrent of an episode.

by Anonymousreply 234December 5, 2017 5:05 AM

R234 But it's worth the 20 seconds it took you to pos, isn't it, cunt?

by Anonymousreply 235December 5, 2017 5:10 AM

R226 Another delusional senile Eldergay strikes again.

I'm not clinging into any trek. I hate prequels and I hate Enterprise. I'm not throwing shit on STD because I can't have some Trek be replaced. I'm calling it out for a shit plot, awful writing and even worse acting. I wish they would stop saying it's a prequel but true to form they want to cash in any any marketing gimmick.

Viewers are meaningless in Broadcast tv, it's about demos and they performed poorly given the hype over the project. Hell even that shitty aspie doctor show in a 10pm time slot did better.

Who cares about Canadian cable. It will have no impact if its renewed (beyond season 2) or not.

by Anonymousreply 236December 5, 2017 5:12 AM

R235 Five seconds and yes. Seeing fragile buttercups get triggered over Trek is always worth it.

by Anonymousreply 237December 5, 2017 5:13 AM

what do the lesbians think about the two women kissing at the party?!

by Anonymousreply 238December 7, 2017 6:03 AM

Tarantino Star Trek flick will be rated R! The Revenant screenwriter to pen the script!

R238 It was so quick and in the background, they probably don't think much of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239December 7, 2017 9:35 PM

Patrick Stewart is game if Tarantino is. Oh, this is all so exciting I just might create a new thread about it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240December 8, 2017 5:43 PM

Interesting!

by Anonymousreply 241December 8, 2017 5:57 PM

Patrick Stewart is a pit bull nut. He was shocked when he learnd he wasn't going to be allowed to bring his "rescue pit" into the UK when he moved back there.

by Anonymousreply 242December 9, 2017 5:19 AM

I rewatched the midseason finale. I noticed a cute moment that you can see Tilly, in the role of a fangirl, squeeing in the background watching Stamets and Culber kiss.

by Anonymousreply 243December 11, 2017 12:17 AM

R243 Yeah, some Redditors didn't like that smile [italic]at all.[/italic] "There should be no acknowledgement of the homosexual kiss from the other characters WHATSOEVER, ya hear me?!"

They're the same (straight) people informing us that we shouldn't really celebrate that kiss because it shouldn't be a big deal in 2017 and how they can't wait to live in a society where this finally won't be an issue anymore. How grand of them, right?

Sorry, I'm just bitter.

by Anonymousreply 244December 11, 2017 12:26 AM

No, you're fine.

The "I love you"'s and the kiss made the nerdy gay 13-year-old in me cry a little, because he doesn't have to write himself into the future any more. He's already there.

I'm just going to get in touch with my inner Tilly and say fuck the haters.

by Anonymousreply 245December 11, 2017 12:31 AM

R244 It wasn't about what the reaction was of but how it was made. Squeeing little a pre menstrual girl at a Taylor Swift concert is just pathetic.

E245 MARY!!!!

No wonder I hate STD. I'm not a fragile lotus blossom looking for acceptance!

by Anonymousreply 246December 11, 2017 12:46 AM

R245 You know, I'm a huge Trekkie but it was the strangest feeling, seeing Stamets on this show. I felt like I was [italic]truly[/italic] on board of a starship for the first time ever and I actually said to myself: "Wait, is this what straight people felt all along? Like they're literally a part of the team?! No wonder they love Trek so much!" It takes so little to bring this experience to so many and the best part is, not a single thing gets taken away from anyone else by including a gay character!

I will forever love Janeway but identifying with powerful and fabulous female characters as proxies for actual gay men can only get you so far, immersion-wise. At least in my experience.

by Anonymousreply 247December 11, 2017 12:49 AM

R246 She merely smiled, not squeed, you enabling dinosaur. Take a cue from Tilly; you need it the most.

by Anonymousreply 248December 11, 2017 12:52 AM

Tilly is so fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 249December 13, 2017 2:15 AM

R249 Nah, she's great.

by Anonymousreply 250December 13, 2017 2:16 AM

Great? Her behavior is insulting to grown women, to professional women. Cutesy is icky and lame.

by Anonymousreply 251December 13, 2017 2:28 AM

r251 Shut up Meg

by Anonymousreply 252December 14, 2017 8:49 PM

Doing a binge-(re)watch of Star Trek: Discovery over the holidays. Definitely one of the high points of the television year. Can't wait for the return.

by Anonymousreply 253December 22, 2017 4:07 PM

R253 I can't wait as well!

In somewhat related news, Tarantino has officially enlisted The Revenant screenwriter Mark L. Smith to write a script based on his idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254December 22, 2017 4:14 PM

I completely agree with the movie critic Matt Zoller Seitz' take on this Tarantino business:

[quote]Look, I've made jokes about this Tarantino STAR TREK movie, but honestly, this is what big IP franchises need to do to be treated as art and not creativity-flavored product. Let artists take a crack at the formulas, and let them be themselves as they do it.

I can't remember the last time I was so excited about an ST movie. Besides, hasn't Marvel been doing a (much less expensive) version of this as well where they hire successful indie directors to helm their movies?

by Anonymousreply 255December 22, 2017 7:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256December 22, 2017 8:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257December 22, 2017 8:24 PM

R257 Christ, would you look at that fucking package! Don't tell me [italic]that's[/italic] padded as well?!

by Anonymousreply 258December 22, 2017 8:58 PM

Just because it's a slow news week for ST:DSC, here is something new for all fans of ST:DS9. Not engaging which show was better, but I do agree that DS9 has held up well so far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259January 5, 2018 12:58 AM

SUNDAY!!!

by Anonymousreply 260January 5, 2018 4:34 AM

Let's hope the writing and acting improve.

by Anonymousreply 261January 5, 2018 11:52 PM

[quoteLet's hope the writing and acting improve.

R261, then it wouldn't be Discovery. Are they going to abandon the stupid Klingon storyline? Mushroom Zoom Drive? Mary Sue Spock?

by Anonymousreply 262January 5, 2018 11:56 PM

If only they had made Captain Lorca gay... *sigh*

I've always loved Jason Isaacs.

by Anonymousreply 263January 6, 2018 12:09 AM

r262, in an attempt to be original, there will be a Romulan story line, a directed worm hole drive and a Rebecca of Vulcanbrook as replacements.

by Anonymousreply 264January 6, 2018 12:24 AM

Mary Sue Spock LOL!

by Anonymousreply 265January 6, 2018 3:36 AM

[quote]When The A.V. Club asked Berg and Harberts about Georgiou’s sudden departure, the EPs pointed to the upcoming episode. Berg calls the relationship between Georgiou and Burnham “such a core relationship for the entire spine. Our goal was always to keep Captain Georgiou alive on the show.” Cutting herself off to avoid revealing too much, Berg then says, “The joy is in the journey. I’d say, keep watching, because Georgiou is such a huge part of the heart who was Michael Burnham. If that’s something you’re invested in, keep watching because I think you hopefully will enjoy what we’re going to do.” “Once you watch episode 10, you’ll see the context that we’re playing in,” Harberts adds. “Another theme for the back half is second chances. As people are consuming the back half, keep that in mind.”

[quote]As for what we can expect from the back half of season one, the war story will continue, but there will be less Klingon and subtitles. “We still stand behind that decision,” Berg says, because it made sense for the story of the nativist Klingons. But Harberts also indicates there will be “a little less reading involved” going forward.

[quote]Berg and Harberts also shared some light details on season two, which CBS ordered last October. Harberts pushes the more traditional Trek angle as something the duo “wants to explore more” in the new season, which they just started working last month. He acknowledges the “well-documented” embattled season-one production, but enthuses that “This year, we have a fantastic creative team in place, everybody knows each other. But we also have time this year—we have time to do things like more away missions, newer planets. These are stories that might fall a little bit more into a framework of allegory that people love to get from Trek. But we will always continue to have that overarching serialized thread.” And as for the themes or potential storylines, Harberts teased an exploration of faith and “science versus faith.” And again, there will be much more of the TOS canon that will at least be nodded to in the new episodes, which should temporarily please some sticklers.

[quote]Star Trek: Discovery returns Sunday at 8:30 p.m. ET with “Despite Yourself,” which was directed by Jonathan Frakes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266January 6, 2018 9:37 PM

Long live Captain Killy! Long live the Empire!

by Anonymousreply 267January 8, 2018 1:01 AM

No more big smoochy gay kisses!

by Anonymousreply 268January 8, 2018 7:08 AM

Noooo!!!!

by Anonymousreply 269January 8, 2018 7:15 AM

That's it kill the faggot.

I fucking hate you you fucking HACK ASSED writers.

by Anonymousreply 270January 8, 2018 8:50 AM

Murdering Dr. Culber was completely unnecessary, and makes me very disappointed in this show.

by Anonymousreply 271January 8, 2018 11:15 AM

NOW you're disappointed, R271? I could have told you that one of the gay guys was going to die, but I figured it'd be Stamets. These writers were clearly hacks from the very first scene (drawing a ST emblem in the sand to be seen from space during a dust storm - pah!)

by Anonymousreply 272January 8, 2018 11:40 AM

Best episode yet; I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Frakes did a wonderful job, except for the endlessly circling camera at the beginning.

Killy's ombre wig looked PHENOMENAL. Loved the little glance at the camera when Lorca was done with his Scotty impersonation. His hair colouring is not the best, though.

The guys are so handsome on this show. Bryce (?) the black officer has such big dreamy eyes.

I never thought Wilson really inhabited his character so it's not a great loss for me personally. Though I hope they get mirror Culber and take him back to the prime universe and that he has a bit more personality to him. I want to see Stamets together with a darker Culber, is what I'm saying.

by Anonymousreply 273January 8, 2018 12:49 PM

I fist pumped when this appeared on the screen. Perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274January 8, 2018 2:56 PM

R274 Me too.

And I pumped something else when Ensign Hot Twink came back.

by Anonymousreply 275January 8, 2018 3:02 PM

Ensign Hot Twink

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276January 8, 2018 3:07 PM

R275 So many hot ensigns on both of those bridges!

by Anonymousreply 277January 8, 2018 3:09 PM

Found this encouraging comment regarding Culber's death on Reddit:

[quote]The writers, producers and actors are very conscious of the fact that they just killed off a gay character and that this could be seen as pandering to the "Burry your gays" trope. However, immediately after the episode aired they have been on record that Culber's story arc is not over and they actually consulted GLAAD when they came up with whatever this storyline is going to be, in order to make sure that they don't treat the first official same-sex couple of Trek wrongly. They seem to have a plan (and no, it's not Mirror Culber - that much has been confirmed) and for now they're asking fans to stick with their story.

by Anonymousreply 278January 8, 2018 3:11 PM

There's no way the faceless Emperor isn't actually Georgiou, right?

by Anonymousreply 279January 8, 2018 4:38 PM

Ooooh, great episode!! Dead doctor, Tilly, Klingon Tyler....

by Anonymousreply 280January 8, 2018 5:25 PM

R279 Correct. I think there's also no way we won't be seeing Yeoh having a boss fight with Michael in the end, with wushu and everything.

by Anonymousreply 281January 8, 2018 5:28 PM

They're brilliant. We'll give you Trek's first gay couple, kill one, then the other will be asexual because he's in mourning for years so no more nerds upset about gay stuff.

by Anonymousreply 282January 8, 2018 5:48 PM

R282 Read the comment at R278.

If they don't bring Culber back after they said all that, [italic]then[/italic] we revolt.

by Anonymousreply 283January 8, 2018 6:24 PM

I read the comment. Too jaded to believe it. They could be referring to the repercussions his death causes.

by Anonymousreply 284January 8, 2018 6:33 PM

R281 Yeah, for sure, and I for one can't wait.

R275 Ensign Hot Twink was on the last 10 minutes of After Trek this week and he was quite adorable actually.

by Anonymousreply 285January 8, 2018 6:52 PM

R284 After the enormous backlash when the lesbian got killed off on The 100 two years ago, no way would they do the same mistake twice. That fiasco was widely publicized and every TV writer worth their salt took note at the time.

by Anonymousreply 286January 8, 2018 6:53 PM

"...they actually consulted GLAAD..."

So, he's coming back as a trans lesbian, right?

by Anonymousreply 287January 8, 2018 7:53 PM

lol, 287.

by Anonymousreply 288January 8, 2018 8:18 PM

The two are appearing on the cover of the February issue of Attitude magazine, so that's nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289January 8, 2018 9:36 PM

The story of Stamets and Culber meeting is also the focus of the March issue of the Discovery comic book.

by Anonymousreply 290January 8, 2018 9:43 PM

I've watched all 10 episodes of this show but I don't understand this mirror thing. Can someone explain it? Does anyone get bothered at how realistic the actors look? I mean every blemish, pockmark, mole is shown in bluray quality.

by Anonymousreply 291January 8, 2018 9:54 PM

Here's a very short but informative article about the mirror universe.

[quote]Does anyone get bothered at how realistic the actors look?

That's the future we always wanted! There's no going back now, I'm afraid. But yes, every pore and mole is right there in your face and no amount of makeup could ever conceal that. The digital face smoothing they employ on almost every actor in the Marvel movies is still too cost-prohibitive for a TV production at this point, but that's definitely coming to our TVs in the future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292January 8, 2018 10:07 PM

I honestly think Tilly's imperfections make her more endearing.

by Anonymousreply 293January 8, 2018 10:24 PM

Who is the guy who sits in the navigator's seat on the Shenzou bridge? The actor, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 294January 8, 2018 10:56 PM

R294 There are many cute guys on the Shenzou bridge but not one of them is credited on IMDb. Probably because they didn't have any lines. We might see more of them in the coming episodes but some of them are probably just models.

by Anonymousreply 295January 8, 2018 11:04 PM

Unlike other Treks, they haven't paid any attention to any of the bridge crew on Discovery, or any crew interaction at all. They're all cardboard cutouts.

by Anonymousreply 296January 9, 2018 12:02 AM

dang the Shenzhou was lousy with sweet tasty twinks.

by Anonymousreply 297January 9, 2018 12:30 AM

Are we to assume the Mirror Universe Saru isn't around because cowards are summarily executed?

by Anonymousreply 298January 9, 2018 1:22 AM

The Terran Empire is a xenophobic regime so it's hard to believe they would have a Kelpien (or any other non-human) among their personnel in the first place. And who knows, perhaps Kelpiens are the predators on their home planet in this mirror universe, which would make them extremely aggressive and/or cunning.

by Anonymousreply 299January 9, 2018 1:27 AM

Saru is probs dead

by Anonymousreply 300January 9, 2018 1:27 AM

I hate Saru as a character but I'd bang Doug Jones like a drum

by Anonymousreply 301January 9, 2018 1:28 AM

sexxy treee

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302January 9, 2018 1:32 AM

It's a miracle Saru's threat ganglia aren't firing off all the damn time in this horrible dimension.

[quote]I'm still loving #StarTrekDiscovery but killing off three POC in your first ten episodes is so not a good look.

This tweet by Tom&Lorenzo (well, just Tom actually) reminded me of Commander Landry. Maybe we'll see a softer, kinder version of her in this universe? As a civilian, perhaps? Because Rekha Sharma was unbelievably wasted by this show.

by Anonymousreply 303January 9, 2018 1:39 AM

I'll cringe if they use the tribble from the Captain's ready room to reveal the true nature of Tyler. If medical devices and the individual himself cannot uncover the true nature of his origin, I would not buy that a tribble can.

by Anonymousreply 304January 9, 2018 1:48 AM

R304 The medical device was just about to uncover his true origin until he killed Culber, who was previously scanning for buried consciousness instead of a superimposed one during Tyler's first checkup. So they definitely can do it now that they know where they should be looking.

But yes, it *would* be pretty esoteric if that tribble sensed him, especially in this mirror universe where his mental conditioning seems to be malfunctioning for some reason. Though I did love how that tribble was shown breathing, almost like a curled up cat.

by Anonymousreply 305January 9, 2018 1:58 AM

[quote] Maybe we'll see a softer, kinder version of her in this universe? As a civilian, perhaps? Because Rekha Sharma was unbelievably wasted by this show.

I figured they promoted the hell out of of Michelle Yeoh because although her character died she would at some point be back. The same goes for anyone else that died. The ship can jump universes so anything goes.

by Anonymousreply 306January 9, 2018 5:10 AM

We're now supposed to buy the idea that you can completely alter a Klingon (an entirely alien species) into a human that can fool medical scans, including DNA, but can't hide the scar tissue from organ manipulation and bone shortening? Pull the other one.

Hacks.

by Anonymousreply 307January 9, 2018 6:33 AM

Even though I'm not really that attached to the character as he hasn't been developed enough, I agree with the closing paragraph of this article:

[quote]Culber’s death is understandably causing shockwaves of outrage. As half of Star Trek’s first televised gay couple, the notion that he’d be violently murdered for no apparent reason other than to showcase Tyler’s instability is alarming on a lot of levels. Even if the show undoes his death, there’s the real danger that this will all feel like a cheat, the sort of cruel trolling that fans often don’t forgive series for pulling. Discovery may not be done with Culber, but no matter what his future holds they’ll have to pull off quite a feat to make his death seem like something worthwhile.

One gay man going insane and the other dying, both as a consequence of two straight guys' Very Important Plans, does leave a bad taste in my mouth. Resurrection or no resurrection, Culber basically served as roadkill in this episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308January 9, 2018 4:48 PM

No wonder Fuller was booted from the show.

Then again, it's very well possible he was behind the whole storyline in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 309January 11, 2018 6:33 AM

[quote] they actually consulted GLAAD when they came up with whatever this storyline is going to be, in order to make sure that they don't treat the first official same-sex couple of Trek wrongly.

Please! This offends me. Do you understand how stupid and condescending this sounds. Those poor snowflakes - we better expert up because, you know, they're not normal. Fuck that! You want to kill a character because it fits the story line then kill him.

by Anonymousreply 310January 11, 2018 12:32 PM

R309 After the American Gods fiasco, I think Fuller just might be a difficult person in general.

R310 You sound more like a triggered snowflake than any of them. It's obvious to anyone but the homophobes that the question isn't "Why not kill the character if it suits the story?" but "Why kill one of the first gay male characters in this TV franchise before the first season even ends?" Why not kill any of the straight guys then? They always seem to survive until the end and no one bitches about that.

Also, the story isn't handed down by the gods, to be followed without deviation. It's written by the writing staff who live in the present-day world, just like the rest of us, and are aware of representation issues.

And lastly, I can't believe someone is actively cheering for gay characters to be written out of the story on a homosexual message board. Why are you even here, seriously?

by Anonymousreply 311January 11, 2018 12:51 PM

Not to hijack this thread but: In what way was American Gods a fiasco, r311? Do you mean the show itself or production/ behind the scenes? Personally, I didn't care much for it. Watched 4 episodes, then dropped it.

by Anonymousreply 312January 12, 2018 2:53 AM

R312, this is what Deadline said about the exit:

"No one is addressing the reasons behind Green and Fuller’s exit, but we hear that the split may have been over the series’ budget. There had been talk that the budget for first season of the ambitious production had ballooned to Game of Thrones levels. We hear series producer FremantleMedia North America, under new scripted chief Dante di Loreto, tried to impose big budget cuts for the 10-episode second season, which led to the showrunner change."

BTW, American Gods was probably the best show I saw last year. Fuller is now doing Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles which is great. I absolutely loved American Gods and I'm sad he's gone but I'm really pumped The Vampire Chronicles is getting Fuller level talent.

by Anonymousreply 313January 12, 2018 3:07 AM

Fuller has a long history of not having a long history on shows. He comes up with great concepts, then seems unable to maintain them going forward. His name appears in Discovery credits, but I believe he said he wasn't actually involved past the pilot. He's probably responsible for the dumb Neo-Klingons.

by Anonymousreply 314January 12, 2018 12:15 PM

Spock

by Anonymousreply 315January 12, 2018 12:53 PM

[quote]We hear series producer FremantleMedia North America, under new scripted chief Dante di Loreto, tried to impose big budget cuts for the 10-episode second season, which led to the showrunner change.

That rumour was incorrect. It has since come out that they actually upped the budget by 2 mil per episode for the new season but that still wasn't enough for Fuller et al.

R312 I loved American Gods to death. The "fiasco" part refers to Fuller's and now Anderson's (and possibly even Chenoweth's) departure.

by Anonymousreply 316January 12, 2018 12:59 PM

Yeah, great job at not highjacking this thread, asshat.

by Anonymousreply 317January 12, 2018 8:26 PM

There's no need to be rude. It was just a couple of posts about AG in what is a slow-moving thread anyway. If anyone wants to follow the discussion around Fuller's departure from that show, you can do so at the linked thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318January 12, 2018 8:38 PM

[quote]There's no need to be rude.

You must be new to these parts, ma’am.

by Anonymousreply 319January 13, 2018 1:52 AM

I'm not.

And there you go again, derailing the thread.

by Anonymousreply 320January 13, 2018 2:01 AM

[quote] but "Why kill one of the first gay male characters in this TV franchise before the first season even ends?"

Cruz's role really wasn't all that big. His death affords Stamets a more interesting character arc (the Stamets character is much more important to the series) and something to emote rather than going crazy being the Enterprise's fuel station. It would be interesting to see Stamets develop or try to develop a new relationship after this loss.

Sorry but you're the one who sounds too bent out of shape over the death. It made sense in the story. Hey if we want an inclusive cast of characters in this genre then we need to expect death and villainy among them.

by Anonymousreply 321January 13, 2018 2:09 AM

r321, It turned a viable and likable gay character into a red-shirt. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 322January 13, 2018 3:05 AM

I get so excited whenever a lower-ranked officer says "belay that" after the captain issues his/her order. When Michael said that, everyone on the bridge was like "WTF? We didn't cover [italic]that[/italic] in basic training."

by Anonymousreply 323January 13, 2018 12:32 PM

Andorians and Tellarites enter stage, bitches.

They look so much cooler than on Enterprise, my god. That Andorian especially doesn't look like just an actor with blue face paint on. I guess that's what happens when you spend a shitload of money on every episode. Is it weird that I kinda want to suck on his eyebrow-nip thingies?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324January 14, 2018 5:12 PM

R322 How was he likable? He was barely even a character. Plus, Wilson Cruz was so damn wooden. Anyway, they'll probably just find a mirror universe version of him. Maybe the mirror version will have a personality even.

by Anonymousreply 325January 14, 2018 5:25 PM

Such a mean gif! As an aside, I know the actors receive proper training beforehand but I always get nervous with these neck twists on TV and in movies for some reason.

R325 The showrunners confirmed immediately after the episode aired that there won't be a mirror universe Culber. I guess that's a spoiler of sorts. And I agree that he was wooden; he never really believed the words he was saying and that's essential when you're doing Trek.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326January 14, 2018 5:30 PM

Yes, Wilson Cruz really wasn't god in this role, too wooden. I'm looking forward to the new episode. I actually enjoy this new Star Trek.

by Anonymousreply 327January 14, 2018 6:13 PM

Holy shit, my mind is blown about three different ways. Hot take: Lorca was Emperor before Yeoh, hence the subtlest of smirks when she appears on the bridge.

And did you see Yeoh smack Lorca in the preview with a fucking sceptre?!

by Anonymousreply 328January 15, 2018 1:50 AM

So, more dumb hand-waving spore crap. Exposing him to more spores is the only way to save Stamets, yeah, so there's this not-particularly-tense scene where it almost works, but then if he can't be revived by the medical team, he dies, and THEN they just leave his body hanging in the chamber alone with Tilly to conveniently magically come back to life? Hacks.

More hackishness with the scene on the planet where hidden-Klingon finally cracks and attaks the FireWolf (stupid gamer tag name) and then everyone suddenly just gives up and starts talking reasonably, and the because of Dark Sarek, they just let him go? Hack hack, cough.

by Anonymousreply 329January 15, 2018 4:25 AM

It looks like the emotional impact of those scenes totally passed by you, r329. But to each their own. In that sense I found those scenes quite gratifying.

by Anonymousreply 330January 15, 2018 12:32 PM

Was this the first time Star Trek depicted execution by teleportation into the vacuum of space? It was pretty harrowing to see that.

by Anonymousreply 331January 15, 2018 3:26 PM

I had planned to binge this show at some point after the first season was over... but then I read that they were going to kill off the gay guy character, so fuck that shit. I'm so tired of them always killing off gay guys. It's such a goddamned cliché at this point.

by Anonymousreply 332January 15, 2018 4:00 PM

R332 For what it's worth, he's definitely coming back.

by Anonymousreply 333January 15, 2018 4:03 PM

Then that's even more stupid. If death means nothing, what's the point?

by Anonymousreply 334January 15, 2018 4:06 PM

I don't know, there's an established tradition of people coming back from the dead on Star Trek so I don't really mind it. His death was pretty shocking to see so dramatically-speaking it was worth it, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 335January 15, 2018 4:09 PM

R332, it's worth watching this show, honest.

And I say this as someone who LOATHED the first two episodes, so much so that I nearly stopped watching.

by Anonymousreply 336January 15, 2018 6:02 PM

Just watched last week's episode, and holy fuck is Jason Isaacs ever hot as fuck in that leather coat!

by Anonymousreply 337January 15, 2018 6:03 PM

Two gays killed off before the first season ends!

by Anonymousreply 338January 15, 2018 6:27 PM

[quote]Two gays killed off before the first season ends!

They pretty clearly didn't kill Stamets.

by Anonymousreply 339January 16, 2018 1:21 AM

"Wherever you are, I hope he's with you."

More evidence for my belief that Tilly is religious. Also a gut-punch.

by Anonymousreply 340January 16, 2018 1:34 AM

R332 The gay character they killed off was just a supporting character (he was the boyfriend of a regular). The actor was awful and the character was boring: glad he's gone.

Anyway, they've killed off several characters -- one recurring character has even died twice. I don't see why some minor supporting should be saved from death just because he's gay. The regular gay character will probably just get a new bf anyway.

by Anonymousreply 341January 16, 2018 5:47 AM

Perhaps now we can get attractive gays in the cast to replace the dead ones.

A twinky ensign like Johnny Rapid.

A smouldering DILF like Chris Meloni to show him the ropes...or tie him in them. Either will do.

by Anonymousreply 342January 16, 2018 6:17 AM

I'd be happy with an episode where Mary Sue Spock doesn't have the "purest of motives" and know everything about the mirror universe in 5 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 343January 16, 2018 11:02 AM

What' the mirror universe Datalounge like?

Unicorns, rainbows with nice, sensible and well adjusted people?

Oscar season threads that cant manage more than 5 replies?

Slim posters with jobs and not living at home in mom's basement!?

What else?

by Anonymousreply 344January 17, 2018 3:10 AM

No, just no, R344. Start your own fucking thread.

by Anonymousreply 345January 17, 2018 9:57 AM

So, there was a real Ash Tyler. And now Voq is dead, judging by L'Rell giving the Death Howl. Although how they manage to keep Tyler around and have the audience root for him when we saw him murder in cold blood, I don't know.

And we indeed know that Lorca is from the Mirror Universe. As cheesy as the explanation that Terrans can't handle bright lights was to explain why the lighting in the Mirror U is always dimmer is, I found myself liking it.

by Anonymousreply 346January 22, 2018 12:50 AM

Have really emjoyed the past three episodes, the show has really hit its stride. I hope Ash Tyler get to survive somehow, I'd hate to lose the eye candy. I'm not going to miss Wilson Cruz and his wooden acting, he never seemed convincing in his role.

by Anonymousreply 347January 22, 2018 4:34 AM

So did they explain how evil Lorca originally got to the prime universe from the mirror universe? It can't have been the method the Defiant used (we're told it results in madness).

by Anonymousreply 348January 22, 2018 9:25 AM

Philippa Georgiou Augustus Eoponius Centarius, Mother of the Fatherland, Overlord of Vulcan, Dominus of Qo'Nos, Regina Andor!

by Anonymousreply 349January 22, 2018 11:18 AM

R349 That was wonderful. I was waiting for Tellar to be named as well, but I guess that would be overkill.

And he said "regina" the way I like it, not the way they said it on The Crown, where it rhymed with vagina and everyone snickered at what was supposed to be a majestic moment.

I bet the nerds are going crazy after having seen that palace ship.

by Anonymousreply 350January 22, 2018 11:41 AM

The nerds abandoned this show long ago, R350.

by Anonymousreply 351January 22, 2018 12:08 PM

Not if Reddit's response is anything to go by. They're loving it!

by Anonymousreply 352January 22, 2018 12:12 PM

Fun fact: this was the shortest non-animated ST episode ever. Just over 37 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 353January 22, 2018 12:24 PM

R346: I suppose the Tyler Ash that is now left is pure as white snow. Not entirely understanding the distinction of As and Voq. If I heard that right, they took from Ash the body and the soul, the essence. Not even sure this body got Ash's memory and mental capacities. But if it was really Mr Hyde/Voq doing the killing, then the Dr Jekyll/Ash may not even have been present, or suppressed. So what's left now neither was acting, not had the intent what happened, and cannot be held responsible.

by Anonymousreply 354January 22, 2018 1:18 PM

Some people are speculating L'Rell faked the Klingon death scream, but I believe she genuinely erased Voq and we're done with that plot. Also, she might be thinking about mirror Voq already, planning to seek him out and proceed from there.

by Anonymousreply 355January 22, 2018 1:35 PM

I hope Tilly gets to keep Captain Killy's hairstyle when they go home. I'm sure having her curls straightened must be a pain in the ass for Mary Wiseman, but it looks really good on her.

The darker colors of the Terran Starfleet uniforms also flatter her.

by Anonymousreply 356January 22, 2018 10:37 PM

[quote]Not if Reddit's response is anything to go by. They're loving it!

No, those are dweebs, R352. Nerds are those who care about things like continuiity, physics, motivations, back story, etc. They're not just fans. The distinction used to be drawn between Trekkers (serious nerds) vs Trekkies (fan/stans/dweebs). No serious Trekker nerd would support the asininity of premise and complete disregard for continuity of this iteration.

by Anonymousreply 357January 23, 2018 2:52 AM

[quote]Anyway, they've killed off several characters -- one recurring character has even died twice.

I can't figure out who this is referring to!

by Anonymousreply 358January 23, 2018 7:46 AM

[quote]No serious Trekker nerd would support the asininity of premise and complete disregard for continuity of this iteration.

Goddamn, what a Mary! you are, with your ten-dollar words.

by Anonymousreply 359January 23, 2018 7:47 AM

R359 He's trying to compensate for his lack of non-emotional arguments with big, [italic]huge[/italic] words. The attempt is quite adorable, actually. I pull the same shit sometimes, but with semicolons.

I prognosticate he'll excoriate us momentarily for not employing "asininity" in our quotidian dealings, the plebeian ignorami that we are.

Also, I totally imagined Claire Foy as the Queen reading his post. Try it; it's so fun!

by Anonymousreply 360January 23, 2018 11:15 AM

You really think those are big words, Mr Trump R359? And THAT's your entire counter-argument? As I suspected, this show is for mental midgets.

by Anonymousreply 361January 23, 2018 2:00 PM

Give it up, 361. Sometimes it is really you who goofed. And it's not weakness to acknowledge it.

by Anonymousreply 362January 24, 2018 12:19 AM

I haven't watched any of the new episodes since the mid-season finale. I've come down with a terrible case of the flu and have the next few days off from work. I think now's a good time to jump back in w/ a marathon.

Have you all enjoyed it more or less since it returned from break?

by Anonymousreply 363January 24, 2018 1:39 PM

Oh yes, it's even better since it has returned from the break!

by Anonymousreply 364January 24, 2018 1:47 PM

Yeah, it's pretty good. Go and binge it.

by Anonymousreply 365January 25, 2018 1:23 AM

This gif made me chuckle as I was thinking during that scene "I wonder at which abandoned Canadian quarry this scene was shot?" Though I do hope it's not one of those awful tar sands places, eurgh.

I know Doctor Who relies [italic]a lot[/italic] on disused quarries as stand-ins for alien planets as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366January 26, 2018 1:20 AM

Considering that Vasquez Rocks got at least one location shoot on every other Trek series and also in the first JJ Abrams movie, we can do with some variety from our neighbors to the north.

by Anonymousreply 367January 26, 2018 1:34 AM

R367 Exactly my thinking! I've also always wondered why we don't see American TV shows being shot across the border in Mexico. Should be cheaper, right? Do they not offer incentives for that or are there some other obstacles?

by Anonymousreply 368January 26, 2018 1:45 AM

Stargate SG-1 used up all of the alien locations in Vancouver.

by Anonymousreply 369January 26, 2018 9:18 AM

Who [italic]wouldn't[/italic] love a fidget spinner that also doubles as a killing device?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370January 27, 2018 5:38 PM

That thing was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 371January 27, 2018 5:43 PM

That face when the load tastes rank so you wolf it down as fast as you can. "What a treat, thanks!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372January 27, 2018 5:44 PM

Was the Kelpien she ate Saru? They looked so similar in the make up I couldn't tell

by Anonymousreply 373January 28, 2018 11:16 AM

No, it wasn't Saru because he was shorter. They probably used the same mould for their masks and that's why they all looked so similar. It also makes sense as the whole species used to be purpose-bred for hunting so they probably didn't have enough time to differentiate much in their looks.

Saru said there were few of his kind in the prime universe and now I'm really intrigued by his story. How he got into Starfleet, how things look like on his homeworld etc.

by Anonymousreply 374January 28, 2018 11:29 AM

Do we think Spacey is watching this show and learning about loving, [italic]consensual[/italic] homosexual relationships? It's never too late to start, is it?

In other news, I'm so excited for a new episode tonight I can barely contain myself! One of my favourite Canadians, Rekha Sharma, is coming back, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375January 28, 2018 9:10 PM

Doug Jones confirms he's returning for season 2. That is one gorgeous wellness coach he's piggybacking there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376January 28, 2018 9:33 PM

That. Was. AWESOME.

by Anonymousreply 377January 29, 2018 12:49 AM

EPICNEEEES !!!

But seriously though, that was spectacular. Those action scenes looked like they came from a movie, not a TV show. I cried when Michael hugged Yeoh and transported her back to Discovery. No way would I leave my mom behind to die like that either!

Some people guessed they'd be transported a hundred years into the future but I like nine months better.

And nice to see Rekha still being a bitch. I guess some things are a universal constant.

by Anonymousreply 378January 29, 2018 1:33 AM

If you're paying for Michelle Yeoh, get out of her way and let her do her thing.

And then Lorca fell out of the Moon Door.

by Anonymousreply 379January 29, 2018 1:35 AM

Jason Isaacs‏ nails it, as always:

[quote]Just watched #13 of #StarTrekDiscovery and Holy McShitburgers, if it doesn't marry character, politics, treklore and kick-ass action in the most entertaining way then I'll give you all your money back. Just write to YouLyingSackOfShit@WhyDidIEverBelieveYou.com and ask for Donald.

Like him, I also loved how they addressed both Trumpism and climate change with this plot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380January 29, 2018 1:38 AM

Lorca just wanted to Make The Empire Great Again. #MEGA

Plus, the entire bridge crew was namechecked and got to do stuff.

by Anonymousreply 381January 29, 2018 1:40 AM

"Make the Empire Glorious Again" is the version I just found on Reddit. I must have missed that line somehow so I'll have to rewatch it again.

Yes, the crew working together was awesome to see. I loved Saru taking the time to pronounce Joann Owosekun's somewhat complicated surname properly. I would've just screamed JOANN! during intense action moments. And Saru gives the best speeches so I really hope he gets to be the captain going forward.

by Anonymousreply 382January 29, 2018 1:48 AM

Tom of Tom&Lorenzo also loved it:

[quote]I don't care what problems people have with #StarTrekDiscovery, I just watched Yu Shu Lien kick the snot out of Lucius Malfoy and that is objectively awesome.

by Anonymousreply 383January 29, 2018 1:59 AM

This is for episode 13?

by Anonymousreply 384January 29, 2018 2:44 AM

I wonder what Emperor Phillipa will do in this universe. She appears to be not happy that Michael gave her the hug of life.

by Anonymousreply 385January 29, 2018 4:50 AM

Even I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 386January 29, 2018 5:03 AM

Does Saru realise Georgiou may want him for breakfast now that she is aboard Discovery?

YOU IN DANGER GURL!!

by Anonymousreply 387January 29, 2018 5:44 AM

Someone elsewhere pointed out that they got home through the power of gay love, basically. And that's somewhat comforting now that it's clear Hugh ain't coming back. I kinda hope Stamets stars dating another guy next season, possibly Andorian.

R387 She's gonna snack on his danger noodles in his sleep!

by Anonymousreply 388January 29, 2018 11:42 AM

Exactly. The Stametses were trying to find a way out of the network. The evil one was looking for a path out. But it wasn’t a place. It was love.

"It is well-known that my species has the ability to sense the coming of death. I do not sense it today. I do not have all the answers; however, I do know that I am surrounded by a team that I trust, the finest a captain could ever hope to command. Lorca abused our idealism, but make no mistake, Discovery is no longer Lorca's. She is ours. And today will be her maiden voyage. We have a duty to perform, and we will not accept a no-win scenario. You have your orders, on your way."

by Anonymousreply 389January 29, 2018 12:18 PM

[quote]I kinda hope Stamets stars dating another guy next season, possibly Andorian.

Maybe he and Tilly could both try for the affections of snacksable Lieutenant Rhys, the Asian twink ay Tactical.

by Anonymousreply 390January 29, 2018 12:22 PM

I loved Michael's simple "We would have helped you get home... if you had asked." A single line conveying what Starfleet is about. It's so bizarre but it made me proud of the very best the prime universe has to offer, regardless of species. That's some powerful writing right there.

R390 Yeah, twink Rhys would be my first pick for Stamets but I [italic]really[/italic] want to know how those Andorian antennae behave when aroused.

by Anonymousreply 391January 29, 2018 12:39 PM

So they just dropped the Ash storyline and left it unresolved.

by Anonymousreply 392January 29, 2018 1:36 PM

There are two more episodes left. I'm sure Ash will prove instrumental in resolving the Starfleet-Klingon conflict.

by Anonymousreply 393January 29, 2018 1:41 PM

Oh, I thought this was the season finale.

by Anonymousreply 394January 29, 2018 1:55 PM

An understandable mistake, R394; the episode was that good!

by Anonymousreply 395January 29, 2018 2:12 PM

I have to say the second half of the season is a massive improvement on the first. One of the major faults of the show is that is has taken me a dozen episodes to start to like and care about these characters.

by Anonymousreply 396January 29, 2018 2:14 PM

I just caught up. I don't even know where to begin. This has been an amazing entry in the Star Trek series. I look forward to it lasting several seasons.

by Anonymousreply 397January 29, 2018 6:35 PM

Maybe this was originally the season finale. Didn't CBS originally order 13 episodes and then extended the order to 15?

by Anonymousreply 398January 30, 2018 11:58 AM

R398 Yeah, that's entirely possible. But I'm glad they changed their minds and will hopefully resolve this plot so we have fresh new adventures to look forward to next season. Because I just hate those old-school cliffhangers that make me more frustrated than excited for the new season.

In other news, I couldn't be more attracted to Jason Isaacs if I tried. He's such a DLer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399January 30, 2018 2:23 PM

Ensign Hot Twink listening intently and just being gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400January 30, 2018 2:26 PM

Isaacs has truly mastered the microfacial expressions. This is him being hit square in the face with the kindness and the compassion of the prime universe, even after everything he's done. So subtle. I've never rated him before but now I can't wait to see his next projects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401January 30, 2018 2:40 PM

[Insert Gardasil or Truvada joke here.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402January 30, 2018 2:42 PM

As much as I'm enjoying the show, I was disappointed with the Lorca twist, as I was really invested in the idea of him being an ambiguous/rogue Starfleet captain. That to me was more interesting than him being a baddie from the Mirror Universe.

Also, does this mean the end of Jason Isaacs' role? Where is Prime Universe Lorca? Was the story about him blowing up his own ship and crew real (it seemed to be in the Starfleet database), or just a cover for Mirror Lorca's intolerance to bright light?

by Anonymousreply 403January 31, 2018 2:11 AM

Lorca just turned out to be a one dimensional pantomime villain with shit for brains when he fell for Burnam's OK, I'll join you, sure! Georgiou comes across as a character out of a Power Rangers episode with only slightly less garish makeup and behive hairdo. Tyler has no chin and therefore completely disposable.

by Anonymousreply 404January 31, 2018 6:41 AM

I'm kinda jonesing on Emperor Philipa. I am wondering what she will do in the prime universe.

by Anonymousreply 405January 31, 2018 8:26 AM

R405, I just hope that they don't try to make her into a sympathetic character via her 'maternal' relationship with Michael, and expect us to forget that five minutes ago she was a ruthless fascist dictator responsible for the deaths of millions.

by Anonymousreply 406January 31, 2018 12:11 PM

She will probably try to get back to her universe and maybe temporarily side with the Klingons in order to accomplish that.

by Anonymousreply 407January 31, 2018 7:13 PM

My hunch is that mirror discovery is the reason why the Klingons appeared to have won the war and sold the Federation out to get back home.

by Anonymousreply 408January 31, 2018 7:31 PM

I'm curious about Prime Lorca as well - is he alive or dead? in the Prime Universe or somewhere else? We saw Mirror Lorca falling into the mycelial drive and apparently disintegrated but with Star Trek, who knows what might have happened.

by Anonymousreply 409February 1, 2018 6:16 AM

Isaacs said he's done with the series so that settles the matter, I should think.

by Anonymousreply 410February 1, 2018 11:56 AM

To clarify, I didn't mean that like he's bitter or anything, just that he's not a multi-season kind of guy. Just as I guessed way back when the casting was first announced.

I think Prime Lorca died on the Buran and the evil one took his place. So it's not like they switched places or anything; the evil Lorca was the only one to cross on that particular occasion.

by Anonymousreply 411February 1, 2018 12:01 PM

[quote]Isaacs said he's done with the series so that settles the matter, I should think.

He also says he lies a lot.

by Anonymousreply 412February 1, 2018 12:11 PM

From an interview with Isaacs.

[quote][bold]This being “Star Trek,” there are any number of ways that we could see you return. Would you come back and do the show again if asked?[/bold]

[quote]I said yes to a fantastic story. You never quite know with television because it’s written week by week. I thought the writers really delivered a fabulous, interesting story, and for me as an actor, I had just a banquet every scene. If they came up with a great story, I would be all ears.

I thought Discovery was different in that regard in that all the writing for the season was completed before the filming started. Guess not. I could never make it in this biz as coming up with a whole episode in a week sounds like the most stressful thing in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413February 1, 2018 2:53 PM

I am sad Tilly has gone back to her regulation Starfleet bun barely containing her curls. Her Captain Killy blowout was so gorgeous on her, even though I'm sure it was a pain for hair and makeup to do.

by Anonymousreply 414February 2, 2018 10:52 AM

Killy was hot, even with all the facial moles...

by Anonymousreply 415February 2, 2018 11:42 PM

So I torrented the first two episodes... and the Klingon scenes had no subtitles. Surely that isn't how it airs? I mean, ten minute long scenes of terrible actors haltingly speaking bad klingonese but no idea what they are saying??

by Anonymousreply 416February 3, 2018 1:54 AM

With torrents, you often have to download the corresponding close-captioning file and enable it in your player. It's a PITA.

by Anonymousreply 417February 3, 2018 7:26 AM

I believe the episodes aired with hardcoded (and stylized) Klingon subtitles on the CBS All Access, while Netflix used normal subtitles. You found the Netflix rip, most likely.

And the acting is more than fine, you probably just have bad taste.

by Anonymousreply 418February 3, 2018 10:00 AM

There were no subtitle files in the Netflix rip... so I guess I'll just have to do without?

The acting of the Klingons is not "fine". I feel like I'm watching a high school production of halting memorized nonsense words. I've seen Klingon spoken much more convincingly. At least this is the case in the first two episodes, when there's no subtitles to take my mind off the fact that everyone seems to be desperately trying to remember the next syllable, and never quite sure if they're right.

by Anonymousreply 419February 4, 2018 12:43 AM

Once the humans and Klingons are face to face and it switches to English, it's a lot smoother. Unfortunately, that won't be for a few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 420February 4, 2018 1:31 AM

DIHom joH chalDaq!

by Anonymousreply 421February 4, 2018 2:00 AM

Speaking of CC, the CBS All Access closed captioning is atrocious. Jumps all over the screen, and it's tiny.

by Anonymousreply 422February 4, 2018 5:55 AM

Penultimate episode tonight!

I'm excited but next week is definitely tantrum time for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423February 4, 2018 5:59 PM

Look at this interior design and the lighting. It's just so pretty I could cry. (Click for the full experience.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424February 4, 2018 6:09 PM

[bold]Star Trek: Discovery is reminding me of everything I loved about Enterprise[/bold]

[quote]Could Star Trek’s new series boldly go back to undo the worst season finale in sci-fi TV history? Surely in Discovery’s multiverse, anything is possible

The author ruminates on [italic]Enterprise's[/italic] shortcomings. It's telling that the bastard who's currently reviewing Disco for the AV Club and keeps giving it low scores and bitching about it, has seen neither Voyager nor Enterprise, so has no experience of the ST formula getting stale to the point of becoming unbearable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425February 4, 2018 6:19 PM

He's still better than the cuntrag doing it for io9. She made up her mind to hate it months before, and she's gone out of her way to fortify that position with each episode, including one that it was clear she liked but couldn't be honest enough with herself to admit it. She actually left the site, but continues to contribute reviews about a show she hates.

Seriously, she seems unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 426February 4, 2018 6:26 PM

Well, that was a twist I didn't see coming.

by Anonymousreply 427February 5, 2018 1:16 AM

Tilly is everything that's great about the Federation in one bubbly, cheerful package.

by Anonymousreply 428February 5, 2018 1:31 AM

Another terrific episode, I'm already sad the season is ending.

by Anonymousreply 429February 5, 2018 5:32 AM

r427, I saw it coming when Burnham grabbed her in the transport beam.

The Redemption of the Emperor.

by Anonymousreply 430February 5, 2018 5:40 AM

Not that this is ever resolved in Trek, but why didn't Burnham and the Emperor materialize with Burnham grabbing her instead of standing on separate transporter pads?

by Anonymousreply 431February 5, 2018 6:04 AM

Because they had the transporter set on collate setting

by Anonymousreply 432February 5, 2018 8:46 AM

r432, I actually laughed out loud.

by Anonymousreply 433February 5, 2018 8:49 AM

What a twist!

Loved the admirals calling in but everyone apart from the black lady and the Andorian lacked the gravitas to be cast in that role. That Asian lady and the white guy especially looked like extras who had no idea where they were.

The conversation with Michael and Ash was great. This is how adults (should) actually behave in real life. They didn't get together for a happy ending but instead chose to deal with their respective traumas on their own. So refreshing to see that on TV.

R428 Tilly's heartfelt speech to Michael this episode might have been just the thing that makes Michael convince the admiral not to commit a genocide in the next episode (we saw that convo in the preview). In a way, she might have saved an entire species with her compassion. She truly is the best the Federation has to offer. So of course I fully expect her to die horribly soon.

by Anonymousreply 434February 5, 2018 11:01 AM

[quote]So of course I fully expect her to die horribly soon.

She won't. They've already said they're going to follow up on the green spore that landed on her last week in S2.

by Anonymousreply 435February 5, 2018 11:07 AM

R435 Yes, by "soon" I meant sometime in the second season. That's too soon for me!

by Anonymousreply 436February 5, 2018 11:10 AM

I see the Emperor leading Star Fleet to glory but finds she cannot live in the prime universe and ends up sacrificing herself. She dies on her terms. It will be glorious and I will cry again.

by Anonymousreply 437February 5, 2018 1:11 PM

My response to the next person around me who fucks something up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438February 5, 2018 2:07 PM

Hmmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439February 5, 2018 2:24 PM

"Yes, I will help you destroy the Klingons once and for all... if you get me one night with the Andorian admiral. Antennae may be damaged in the process."

Do you think those things are stretchy? Because I could definitely see myself sitting on one while docking the other. God, the thought of having sex with an Andorian get me so excited. I wonder what Freud would have to say about that. "You feel alienated from humanity and you love wintertime. Next!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440February 5, 2018 2:44 PM

So is the season going to end on a conclusive finale, or do you think it will be a cliffhanger?

by Anonymousreply 441February 5, 2018 3:07 PM

They’ve said the war will not carry over into the next season. So, not from that perspective.

by Anonymousreply 442February 5, 2018 3:25 PM

I next week's episode only an hour? It seems like a lot to wrap up in only 45 mins

by Anonymousreply 443February 5, 2018 6:58 PM

[quote]I see the Emperor leading Star Fleet to glory but finds she cannot live in the prime universe and ends up sacrificing herself. She dies on her terms. It will be glorious and I will cry again.

I definitely expect her to die, but I also suspect that she is, to all but a few people, Captain Phillipa Georgiou formerly of of the USS Shenzhou, she may also find a way to exonerate Michael before she does. Conviction and sentence vacated, Michael is Saru's XO next season.

I just hope Ash's broken heart doesn't lead him to do something stupid.

by Anonymousreply 444February 5, 2018 9:37 PM

r444, Admiral Kate Jackson announced to the entire bridge a fiction, who know the real story that Phillipa is the Emperor. It is a creative fiction they have to operate under for the mission to succeed. What was Admiral Kate going t do, announce that she was turning over control of Discovery to the Terran Emperor?

Nuh-uh

by Anonymousreply 445February 5, 2018 10:58 PM

[quote]Admiral Kate Jackson announced to the entire bridge a fiction, who know the real story that Phillipa is the Emperor.

The only people on Discovery who know who the Phillipa actually is are Saru, Michael, and the transporter chief. That's why Detmer was so happy, she thought she was getting her old boss back.

by Anonymousreply 446February 5, 2018 11:04 PM

r446, and red shirts never gossip?

by Anonymousreply 447February 5, 2018 11:10 PM

Considering Saru told the chief he'd be courtmartialed for treason...

I guess Ash and L'Rell would know, since they ate the original and all.

by Anonymousreply 448February 5, 2018 11:28 PM

I love that Jayne Brook's role has become larger recently. Always loved her and her acting. It would be great if they found a way to make her a regular somehow.

by Anonymousreply 449February 6, 2018 12:24 AM

For the first time this year I rewatched an episode of a show.

Discovery S1E14 was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 450February 6, 2018 12:31 AM

Ash's big brown eyes that were trying to hard not to cry made me cry.

by Anonymousreply 451February 6, 2018 12:34 AM

I have become a HUGE fan of Michelle Yeoh.

by Anonymousreply 452February 6, 2018 12:44 AM

[quote]I have become a HUGE fan of Michelle Yeoh.

She threw a knife at Lorca, he pulled it out of his back and threw it back at her, and she kicked it away when it was in midair. And it was clearly her actual skills doing it, not trickery. If you don't love that, there's something wrong with you.

by Anonymousreply 453February 6, 2018 12:47 AM

All Hail her most Imperial Majesty, Mother of the Fatherland, Overlord of Vulcan, Dominus of Qo’noS, Regina Andor. All Hail Philippa Georgiou Augustus Iaponius Centarius!

by Anonymousreply 454February 6, 2018 12:50 AM

R454 let's have a BBQ

by Anonymousreply 455February 6, 2018 11:53 AM

Get you someone who looks at you like Ash looked at Michael when they danced to Al Green.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456February 6, 2018 10:52 PM

I love Twinky Rhys but on Instagram he does not bare his nips

by Anonymousreply 457February 7, 2018 10:29 PM

Sweaty Twink Conor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458February 7, 2018 10:30 PM

You are not seeing me naked until you put a ring on it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459February 7, 2018 10:31 PM

For sheer nudity, I'll take the hijacked American Gods jack off video. He's pretty.

by Anonymousreply 460February 7, 2018 11:51 PM

Opinion piece which argues that Saru should be the captain of the Discovery and I am HERE for it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461February 9, 2018 9:28 PM

R449 I've never really followed her career closely, but I love Jayne Brook on Discovery. Some interesting tidbits (to me at least) about her role:

Wendy Crewson (known for a lot of mom & wife type roles) appears to have been originally cast in the role of Admiral Cornwell. Not sure why the role was recast.

Brook was offered the role directly, without having to audition. At that point, it seems like she was taking a break from acting (retirement? children?). But since starting Discovery, it seems like she might be back into acting regularly as she booked a 4 part arc on Major Crimes in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 462February 9, 2018 9:52 PM

Wendy Crewson is a lez. Maybe she didn't read as Jason Isaacs ex-lover.

by Anonymousreply 463February 9, 2018 9:55 PM

R463 Is she really? She seems more admiral-y to me in the photos but perhaps a bit too old to be believable as Lorca's lover. Yes, I know that makes me sounds incredibly sexist and I'm already regretting posting this. But there you go. And why the fuck was that holographic Asian admiral so young? I'm still not over that.

I like Brook well enough but she doesn't really have much gravitas, does she?

by Anonymousreply 464February 9, 2018 10:00 PM

She does the lez lez.

I don't know, I really dig Jayne Brook.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465February 9, 2018 10:13 PM

R463 Crewson has played so many mom and wife roles (Air Force One, The Good Son, Sixth Day, The Santa Clause) that I'm sure she can fake it at this point. If anything, she's too soft and maternal to play an Admiral.

My bet would be that Crewson leaving had something to do with Bryan Fuller's exit. The new showrunners probably wanted to put their stamp on the casting of guest stars. They also replaced her with an actress they had worked with previously (Brook had been on John Doe and did guest spots on Revenge and Off The Map).

R464 I was just about to reply to that other post about the odd Asian Admiral. She stuck out so much: took me out of that scene. She had the presence of an attaché to an Admiral.

Also, keep in mind that Admiral Cornwell is actually a psychiatrist/psychologist, so she probably rose in rank through a different career path than other Admirals. She may never have even commanded a ship of her own (plausible given the way she handled command in the last episode). I think it makes sense that she doesn't have the same presence as other Admirals.

by Anonymousreply 466February 9, 2018 10:18 PM

R465 Damn, I thought you were bringing us unsubstantiated gossip (the DL way) but she's like a proper lez. Good for her. Now I'm kinda bummed she's not the admiral. I can already imagine her falling into the captain's chair in a devastating manner when Starbase 1 was revealed to be destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 467February 9, 2018 10:18 PM

[quote]I was just about to reply to that other post about the odd Asian Admiral. She stuck out so much: took me out of that scene. She had the presence of an attaché to an Admiral.

R466 Yeah, that was probably also my post as I already bitched about her immediately after the episode had aired. Shit like that bothers me to no end. Perhaps she and the white guy admiral were meant to provide a softening counterpoint to the other three more severe-looking admirals. But it just didn't work with that dewy skin and the half-smile. You're in the middle of a war for your survival, dammit, so look more concerned!

Should've grabbed some weathered Asian lady from the local park and just have her stand there.

by Anonymousreply 468February 9, 2018 10:32 PM

[quote]Also, keep in mind that Admiral Cornwell is actually a psychiatrist/psychologist, so she probably rose in rank through a different career path than other Admirals. She may never have even commanded a ship of her own (plausible given the way she handled command in the last episode). I think it makes sense that she doesn't have the same presence as other Admirals.

Holy shit, I didn't even know it was possible to attain admiralty without first commanding a ship! I'm treating this explanation as fact because I like it very much, thank you. Her reactions and her cold (balanced?) personality make perfect sense now that you've reminded me she's actually a psychiatrist!

Okay, I take it back, she's great in this role and I'm a Cornwell fan now as well. Even though I'm genetically wired as a homosexual to never stop fantasizing about a mature actress playing a Star Trek admiral in a grandiose, divaesque way, I recognize that would definitely be a step backwards for the portrayal of women in positions of power.

by Anonymousreply 469February 9, 2018 10:47 PM

One of our first hints that Lorca wasn't who he said he was was when she came to see him after he'd been captured by the Klingons. He called her "Doc" rather affectionately, but also didn't remember something that she and Prime Lorca had done. Then after they had a fuckfest, she noticed scars on his back that she didn't recognize.

Honestly, she won me over when she went into shrink mode when Ash had his flashback on the Ship of the Dead, successfully talking him through things while still managing to help hold of the Klingons with her phaser, all while not being able to move her legs.

Plus, we've also seen she's pretty good at hand-to-hand combat.

by Anonymousreply 470February 9, 2018 10:55 PM

R470 I'll have to rewatch that episode before the finale because I was taken aback by Cornwell and L'Rell knowing each other last week. When did [italic]that[/italic] happen?!

I also love seeing (female) psychiatrists in action. *Loved* Gillian Anderson working her shrink magic on Hannibal. Or Robin Weigert on Big Little Lies. Although the latter was more of a therapist, but still. She was extremely good at it.

by Anonymousreply 471February 9, 2018 11:02 PM

[quote][R470] I'll have to rewatch that episode before the finale because I was taken aback by Cornwell and L'Rell knowing each other last week. When did that happen?!

After she was captured in a trap that Lorca let her walk into, L'Rell was her captor. They actually (somewhat sincerely, somewhat not) bonded. L'Rell told Cornwell she wanted to defect, because she was trying to get to Voq. If you look on Twitter, both Brook and Mary Chieffo seem to kind of ship them.

by Anonymousreply 472February 9, 2018 11:10 PM

R462 Regarding Wendy Crewson I wonder if Cornwell being recast with Jayne Brook had to do with scheduling. Production was pushed back a few times and I believe some of the earlier episodes took longer to shoot than expected. It could be Crewson was no longer available by the time they were ready to film Cornwall's first episode.

by Anonymousreply 473February 9, 2018 11:11 PM

[quote]I'm genetically wired as a homosexual to never stop fantasizing about a mature actress playing a Star Trek admiral in a grandiose, divaesque way

Already was: Rear Admiral Norah Satie (see video).

Also, I always found Admiral Nechayev (from TNG and DS9) a bit haughty and diva-esque, but it wasn't over the top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474February 9, 2018 11:12 PM

R472 Oh, yes, of course! That short hiatus really messed with my memory.

by Anonymousreply 475February 9, 2018 11:13 PM

Cornwell and Admiral Ross from DS9 were the only two flag officers in Starfleet who weren't incompetent or evil.

by Anonymousreply 476February 9, 2018 11:14 PM

R469 And yeah, I think Brook's performance is good because she does exude intelligence and strength but not the commanding presence one might expect from a battle-hardened captain. I suppose it's still possible that she has commanded a ship, but in that case, I imagine it would be ship sent on science or diplomatic missions.

by Anonymousreply 477February 9, 2018 11:24 PM

r474 THAT is what I'm talking about! I swear that shit is like candy to me. Haven't seen TNG and can't recall her from DS9, so thanks for linking to that.

Yeah, it's refreshing to see competence in admirals as well, r476. Although there's still one more episode left for Cornwell to commit a holocaust so we might all be tearing her to pieces here next week.

by Anonymousreply 478February 9, 2018 11:25 PM

I can't imagine them assassinating the character like that. Particularly since she wasn't supposed to make it off the Ship of the Dead, but the producers liked what Brook was doing so much, they decided to keep her.

by Anonymousreply 479February 9, 2018 11:32 PM

I also really dig that Brook isn't botoxed or Juvadermed to within an inch of her life.

by Anonymousreply 480February 9, 2018 11:44 PM

R480 My first thought upon seeing her closeup for the first time was that she couldn't afford those procedures as she hasn't had any work in a while. How awful is that? I blame society for conditioning me to expect all female celebrities of a certain age to have those treatments.

by Anonymousreply 481February 9, 2018 11:49 PM

R478 That was Norah Satie; she was only in one episode. I instantly thought of her when you said diva even though I couldn't even remember what her episode was about. She also wore a couple of dramatic outfits in the episode -- no uniform for her.

The other one (Admiral Nechayev) I mentioned was a recurring character. She was always a bit haughty, but never reached the drama-level of Satie lol. Here's a video Nechayev.

R479 Yeah, I'd be disappointed if they destroyed or killed the Cornwell character before the end of the season. I doubt the showrunners would do that to her since they've worked with Brook so much. Also, they can't make every woman in a position of authority evil, a fuck up, or dead: There has to be one competent one they keep around!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482February 9, 2018 11:50 PM

I really love Brook in her role. I think her naturalness is very attractive. She looks fit (since I’m being shallow too, lol).

Loving Disco. The production quality is amazing. It’s really is movie-level as someone said above.

Last season episode this Sunday. Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 483February 10, 2018 12:07 AM

Some of Tumblr's "Culmets" fan art is truly horrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484February 10, 2018 2:48 PM

Fan art in general is horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 485February 10, 2018 4:37 PM

Episode 14? Am I missing something here? I thought they were only doing 12 episodes and then they decided on a 13th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486February 10, 2018 5:43 PM

R485 I know they mean well and I'm glad they're expressing their gay-friendly sentiment but couldn't they... you know, express it more privately? Christ, that makes me sound awfully like an evangelical.

Anyway, I'm trying not to venture too deep into the Star Trek subreddit before the final episode tomorrow as spoilers abound. The showrunner tweeted a photo of a sculpture and the title of that sculpture is pretty spoilery. Just one more day now.

R486 They're doing 15 episodes!

by Anonymousreply 487February 10, 2018 5:46 PM

I so wanted to like the character of Michael Burnham bit she is such an awful actress it's hard to get past that. There were some really interesting aspects to her that should have been written and executed better. Plus the writing still sucks.

by Anonymousreply 488February 10, 2018 9:45 PM

Dat ass!

R488 The writing's fine and she's a great actress. Not easy being a black woman, playing a human with a Vulcan upbringing. She's basically having to play the maid from Get Out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489February 10, 2018 9:57 PM

What does that have to do with anything? Hard for a black female to play a human raised by a Vulcan? Why? It's just a character written for her. Talk about irrelevancies.

In any event you're clearly a fan if you think she is a "great actress" and the "writing's fine". Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 490February 10, 2018 10:15 PM

R489 I don't think she's a great actress, but I have noticed some serious progression in her abilities over the years. She was truly awful when she started on The Walking Dead, but her final episode on that show was very well acted. I think she'll grow into this role as well. This is the first time Sonequa has carried any project as far as I know, and it's a challenging role to boot. She has to incorporate the Vulcan upbringing but still remain relatable enough to carry the show -- the other "emotionless" ST characters (Spock, Data, Tpol, etc.) never had that challenge.

by Anonymousreply 491February 10, 2018 10:47 PM

Martin-Greene is fantastic, capturing the pathos of a human trapped w/ a psyche of/conditioned to be a Vulcan. I think she's quite wonderful, in fact, and look forward to the development of her character.

by Anonymousreply 492February 10, 2018 10:50 PM

Also R489 I'm not sure I get the "black woman, playing a human with a Vulcan upbringing" comment either. What does her race have to do with it? That black dude on Voyager (I think his name is Tim Russ) did a great job playing a Vulcan on Voyager.

by Anonymousreply 493February 10, 2018 10:50 PM

There's no need to get triggered; the black actress part was referring to the second sentence, I may have just worded it clumsily or - more probably- you're just looking for a fight. I meant she needs to do a Vulcan with a human simmering underneath, so basically like that maid in Get Out. Way, [italic]way[/italic] more demanding than what Tim Russ ever did, even in his Pon farr episodes. It's masterful, really.

She truly is a revelation.

by Anonymousreply 494February 10, 2018 11:07 PM

Some coat porn coming our way tomorrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 495February 10, 2018 11:14 PM

Sonequa has nothing on Betty Gabriel (maid from Get Out), but I understand the comparison. I was not suggesting that Tuvok was a challenging role in any way. As I said, I think Sonequa has a difficult role, and I think it's a competent performance. I find a lot of her acting choices odd, but that's to be expected as she's getting comfortable in the role.

For me, Jason Isaacs, Doug Jones, Jayne Brook, and maybe even Mary Wiseman are more impressive on the show. But I can totally accept that some may have a different opinion when it comes to performances.

by Anonymousreply 496February 10, 2018 11:19 PM

Aaanywho... the actress playing L'Rell tweeted out this list of cast members who will be live tweeting the finale. Could Wilson Cruz's inclusion be a clue of some sort? I sure hope so!

And speaking of actresses doing a stellar job, I would very much like to see more of Mary Chieffo on my TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497February 10, 2018 11:34 PM

I hope they have a Star fleet Academy like situation in the 2nd season with lots of cadets banging

by Anonymousreply 498February 10, 2018 11:36 PM

The thought of Cadet Conor's mouth sucking one cock after another..why did they remove such scenes?

by Anonymousreply 499February 10, 2018 11:38 PM

R498 Someone needs to walk in on an Andorian having his antennae polished by a frenzied male Tellarite.

Yes, I know, here I go with the Andorian crap again...

by Anonymousreply 500February 10, 2018 11:43 PM

r500 take it easy on yourself; antennae exist to be stimulated.

by Anonymousreply 501February 11, 2018 7:12 PM

Welp, I allowed myself to get too hyped up for the finale so I'll probably be among the more disappointed viewers a couple of hours from now.

by Anonymousreply 502February 11, 2018 7:18 PM

R497 I really like Mary Chieffo in the role. I didn't realize until recently that she's actually the daughter of one my favorite character actresses: Beth Grant (from Donnie Darko, Speed, and lots of other stuff).

by Anonymousreply 503February 11, 2018 9:48 PM

When I discovered that, I wanted nothing more than Beth Grant to play the matriarch of House Mo'Kai.

Whilst talking about Andorian antennae, have we overlooked the discussion that we now know that Klingon men have two dicks?

by Anonymousreply 504February 11, 2018 9:51 PM

Dear Lord, but these last few hours are dragging by!

[quote]Whilst talking about Andorian antennae, have we overlooked the discussion that we now know that Klingon men have two dicks?

Which seems like an anatomical change that only a straight douchebro writer would come up with. Like, what am I - a homosexual human male - supposed to do with two Klingon dicks being right next to each other? Call me when they have one growing out of their forehead.

Also, no wonder Ash is so mopey all the time; he lost one dick! Wouldn't [italic]you[/italic] mourn that shit until the day you died?

by Anonymousreply 505February 11, 2018 10:10 PM

[quote]she's actually the daughter of one my favorite character actresses: Beth Grant

My mind is blown about five different ways right now. I'm sorry, but that is just a [italic]ridiculous[/italic] piece of trivia right there. LOVE Beth Grant!

by Anonymousreply 506February 11, 2018 10:14 PM

[quote]Also, no wonder Ash is so mopey all the time; he lost one dick! Wouldn't you mourn that shit until the day you died?

L'Rell did tell Voq he'd have to sacrifice "everything."

[quote]Which seems like an anatomical change that only a straight douchebro writer would come up with. Like, what am I - a homosexual human male - supposed to do with two Klingon dicks being right next to each other?

Ask Mama what her mussy thinks about it.

by Anonymousreply 507February 11, 2018 10:24 PM

Ha! Though I do feel constant DPing could get boring real fast.

by Anonymousreply 508February 11, 2018 10:41 PM

Well, hail the Emperor's bisexual Orion fuckfest.

They went there. I was hoping they might not.

by Anonymousreply 509February 12, 2018 12:55 AM

At least we definitely have proof of the Klingons having two dicks.

by Anonymousreply 510February 12, 2018 12:59 AM

And a confirmation they're located near each other, which is the most important part for dirty minds.

I wonder who their new captain on Vulcan was supposed to be. I wanted Saru, goddamit!

The last 30 seconds had me screaming. And I've never ever seen TOS.

by Anonymousreply 511February 12, 2018 1:41 AM

"First off, I'm really high."

Ensign Sylvia Tilly is and always will be the best.

by Anonymousreply 512February 12, 2018 1:44 AM

R512 Love how she straightened her hair for the away mission. And the awkward little Nazi salute, dear god!

Also, is she a lesbian, or at least bi? Philippa suggested she take that dancer girl, didn't she?

by Anonymousreply 513February 12, 2018 1:51 AM

[quote]And the awkward little Nazi salute, dear god!

That, plus Michael's "Don't do that."

by Anonymousreply 514February 12, 2018 1:52 AM

The whole thing ended with a damp squib. Blah!

by Anonymousreply 515February 12, 2018 4:01 AM

OMG, OMG, Discovery meets Enterprise and that is how next season begins!!!

I bet the Emperor has a sex change ad takes the name KHAN!

by Anonymousreply 516February 12, 2018 6:35 AM

So I liked this finale but also understand why some people pretty much hate it. You can clearly see they were trying to undo Fuller's (dark) vision all season long, but especially in this episode. Same vision Trekkies have mostly rejected as ST is not nor should it ever be like Game of Thrones. That speech at the end is pure ST but comes across as cheesy when you juxtapose it against the two-dicked Klingon pissing in the alleyway earlier. It kinda shamelessly uses ST ideals to finally wrap up Fuller's plot and it feels like a completely different show after they set for Vulcan. Even the bridge seems brighter.

That it was written and directed by Akiva Goldsman never helps anything but I think he did a decent job here. Perhaps the guy is only good at Star Trek and nothing else? God knows I'm not a talented person myself.

I'm even more excited for Season 2 now because who knows what tone they'll end up settling on.

by Anonymousreply 517February 12, 2018 10:59 AM

That little bitch at the AV Club fucking [italic]hated[/italic] the Enterprise showing up at the end. Dear god, isn't he just the worst? Imagine having an epic whinger like that around on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 518February 12, 2018 11:07 AM

It's ridiculous how consistently on point Jason Isaacs' Twitter game is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519February 12, 2018 11:19 AM

Yes, the ending seemed tacked on to throw a bone to classic Star Trek philosophy; they certainly didn't live by those ideals at all during the season.

by Anonymousreply 520February 12, 2018 1:26 PM

I think the second half of the seasons really worked towards restoring the show back to Star Trek's philosophy. I hated the show during the first half but now I'm loving it. I have to say though, am I the only one who hates the CGI ships in Discovery. I think the CGI used in Voyager and Enterprise looked more realistic.

by Anonymousreply 521February 12, 2018 1:47 PM

Hard to follow Starfleet ideals when your captain is a profoundly evil individual from a mirror dimension. The atmosphere changed immediately when Saru took over. To contrast, the admiral wasn't evil, she was just desperate.

R521 They looked more realistic because the resolution was shittier. Everything tends to look better blurred. That, plus nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 522February 12, 2018 1:53 PM

Frain delivered the "I never tire of seeing home" so beautifully. I love seeing Vulcans get subtly emotional with their voice.

And just to clarify, Spock - Sarek's son and Michael's sorta half-brother - is currently serving aboard the Enterprise, correct? That's why those two exchanged that glance?

by Anonymousreply 523February 12, 2018 1:58 PM

Theoretically correct, 523. But with Discovery's loose interpretations of canon, who knows?

by Anonymousreply 524February 12, 2018 2:11 PM

I've never been as intrigued about TOS than after that last shot. I just might check it out. And continue with TNG as well while I'm at it; started that first season like three times by now and bailed every time.

by Anonymousreply 525February 12, 2018 2:18 PM

A couple of quotes from the executive producer and co-creator Alex Kurtzman.

[quote]“The show is called ‘Discovery.’ It’s not ‘Enterprise,'” Kurtzman said. “So yes, the Enterprise will play a part of Season 2 but it will absolutely not overshadow Discovery. And I think with Enterprise’s arrival in the finale we recognize that the audience has a lot of questions about our synchronicity with the original series, which really means synchronicity with canon. So the promise of the Enterprise holds the answers to a lot of those questions, including Spock’s relationship with his half-sister who he’s never mentioned. Which does not necessarily mean you’re going to see Spock, just that we owe an answer to that question.”

Exploring Spock's relationship with his half-sister without showing Spock sounds bizarre but we'll see.

[quote]“The whole season was reverse engineered from the ending that we know that we wanted,” Kurtzman said. “Really the big driver there was [Burnham’s] arc and the confusion about how and why she decided to mutiny in the pilot to the absolute certainty that it was the only way to protect the ideals of the Federation. She doesn’t literally mutiny, but she does threaten it in the finale because she understands that it’s much more important to protect those ideals than to protect herself.”

So they [italic]didn't[/italic] pull out that ending out of their ass at all.

[quote]“Season 1 was really about the war and how the war tested our ideals as Starfleet,” he said. “It was very much about Michael’s story arc and her getting comfortable on Discovery. Fundamentally, it was really about bringing that crew together as a family. If you look at the crew in the beginning, they’re very separate and they’re not really connected yet. They are not sure of each other and their place on the ship. Over the course of the season, they really become a family.”

I prefer the explanation that the crew wasn't explored that much because Lorca made their whole mission about himself, but this works too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526February 12, 2018 7:20 PM

It can be a Pike Enterprise before the arrival of Spock. Would Spock be old enough? I'm not a canonist as to ages and relationships, so could somebody fill me in? Are the stardates consistent? Is this before the first visit to Talos IV or Rigel VII? I am confused? What year did the writers place Discovery?

by Anonymousreply 527February 12, 2018 8:37 PM

Spock served on the Enterprise for 11 years under Pike from 2254 to 2265 when Kirk was assigned.

Could we be in that window?

by Anonymousreply 528February 12, 2018 8:50 PM

IMDB states that Discovery is 10 years before Kirk takes over Enterprise. That places it on the edge of 2254/2255. Spock may be on Enterprise or may be showing up soon. DAY-YUM!

by Anonymousreply 529February 12, 2018 8:57 PM

[quote]Yes, the ending seemed tacked on to throw a bone to classic Star Trek philosophy; they certainly didn't live by those ideals at all during the season.

I think that was the point of the season. They came close, but pulled back from the brink.

[quote]IMDB states that Discovery is 10 years before Kirk takes over Enterprise. That places it on the edge of 2254/2255. Spock may be on Enterprise or may be showing up soon. DAY-YUM!

The show is set in 2256. Spock began serving ton the Enterprise in 2254.

by Anonymousreply 530February 12, 2018 9:31 PM

Thanks for the specificity r530; Spock is on the Enterprise!!!

by Anonymousreply 531February 12, 2018 11:46 PM

Houston, it’s a go. Repeat, it’s a go. Even if they don’t show him ever.

by Anonymousreply 532February 13, 2018 12:10 AM

What is the Enterprise's interior going to look like?

by Anonymousreply 533February 13, 2018 4:11 AM

What's Quinto up to these days, anyway? Apart from fucking that rich twink 24/7, I mean. I'm sure it wouldn't cost them too much if they asked him to play Spock.

Would you want to see someone else in the role?

by Anonymousreply 534February 13, 2018 11:37 AM

Imagine ST actors dealing with this shit in a letter form back in the day, pre-Twitter. And those diatribes were extra vile as people took great care in composing them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535February 13, 2018 11:44 AM

R534, due to the weird distribution of TV rights vs movie rights between CBS and Paramount, I don't think they'd be permitted to use Quinto (or any of the reboot movie actors). They could certainly recast him with a young actor like Nicholas Hoult.

by Anonymousreply 536February 13, 2018 11:58 AM

Don't know why but I get such a kick out of seeing two Federation ships meeting like this out there in the open space. Seems like a family reunion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537February 13, 2018 12:01 PM

r536 Oh, that's a bummer. I think Hoult would be too expensive and he's not really into TV anymore, after getting that sweet taste of movie stardom.

They'll probably pluck some relative unknown from theatre somewhere if they do decide to feature him and I'm fine with that as long as he has great chemistry with Michael and Sarek. I bet she'll act extra Vulcan around him. Oh, the prospect of Vulcan siblings squabbling sounds so exciting!

by Anonymousreply 538February 13, 2018 12:17 PM

R536 There is nothing barring CBS from using the Kelvin-verse actors just as there wasn't anything baring Leonard Nimoy from appearing in the first two Kelvin films. What can't happen is CBS can't set the show in the Kelvin timeline nor can Paramount set a movie in the prime timeline. Also CBS own all the rights to Trek merchandising which is why there has been next to no Kelvin timeline merchandise because CBS has refused to market anything that isn't tied to the TV Trek library it owns.

CBS and Viacom are rumored to be in serious merger talks which would put both TV Trek and movie Trek back under one roof again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539February 13, 2018 12:57 PM

Thanks for clarifying, r539. Viacom is coming out with its own streaming app in the fall so it'll be interesting to see what happens if the merger comes through.

by Anonymousreply 540February 13, 2018 1:12 PM

R540 agreed it will also be interesting to see what happens to the fourth Trek film that is currently in the works...although I don't think it's going to happen regardless given all the controversy surrounding Tarantino.

by Anonymousreply 541February 13, 2018 1:16 PM

Seems like the black badges and the Klingon redesign were Fuller's making and they haven't resolved either. Perhaps the writers will take this challenge on next season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542February 13, 2018 1:51 PM

Tumblr already hard at work on gay slashfic for the next season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543February 13, 2018 1:55 PM

[bold]Star Trek: Discovery Should Introduce Spock In Season 2[/bold]

YES! Make it happen!

[quote]The most prominent reason for Star Trek: Discovery to introduce Spock in Season 2 is that to [italic]not[/italic] do so at this point would feel like a huge letdown. Any attempt to wriggle out of doing so now would feel like a complete cop-out.

[quote]If Discovery‘s Enterprise storyline is resolved without any appearance of the pointy-eared scientist, not only would many viewers feel frustrated, but Spock’s presence in the show would become more of an elephant in the room than it already is. This is especially true when taking into consideration the telling glance between Burnham (Spock’s adoptive sister) and Sarek as they discover the Enterprise is in trouble. Both characters are aware that Spock is on the ship and are visibly concerned that disaster may have befallen him. The scene sets up the question of “Is Spock alright?” and that will need to be answered in Season 2. Can a satisfying resolution really be reached without ever showing the character on screen?

[quote]Witnessing how the Vulcan interacts with Burnham could explain why he neglected to mention her over the past fifty years of big and small screen output. Furthermore, bringing Spock and Sarek together may allow Discovery to show the latter’s more traditional, harsher personality and highlight a difference in how Sarek treats his children.

[quote]However, it should be noted that Spock once claimed in Star Trek: The Original Series (“Journey To Babel”) to have not spoken to his father for eighteen years. As such, any meeting between Spock and Sarek in Discovery could risk creating another canon inconsistency.

That last paragraph worries me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544February 13, 2018 5:26 PM

I think they should fix the Klingon design in season 2 by just gradually adding hair. They can just explain the lack of hair as a trend in Klingon grooming. Perhaps the Klingons start growing hair again to show respect to Kahless or as a way to reinforce the unity between the different houses.

R539 I'm not sure we know exactly what CBS can or cannot do with the Star Trek IP. Some claim that CBS is the actual owner of all Star Trek IP and that Paramount just has some kind of perpetual license to create and distribute ST films. For example, CBS consistently lists the reboot/Kelvin films as being CBS "products":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545February 13, 2018 6:55 PM

Viacom licenses Trek from CBS, but they have some complicated relationship where quite a bit of the extra material, as well as the Kelvin universe are solely under VIacom's control. Star Trek has a pretty rich expanded universe (let's just say that Stamets and Culber are very far from being Trek's true first gay couple, if one includes the, admittedly non-canon, books and comics), but aside from a few comic series, they've basically ignored it. I think there were a few books, but only a few, and they usually publish a novel a month in the Prime universe timeline.

The reboot actually kind of hobbled the books as well. TNG, DS9, and Voyager have all had stories continue well beyond the end of their respective series, but they're hamstrung by the supernova that destroyed Romulus, so they're having to slow down their storytelling. That said, they've told some great stories set during the TOS era. Prior to Discovery, my favorite series after DS9 was Star Trek: Vanguard, a series of about eight books set on a remote space station while Kirk was on his five-year mission.

And the lack of merch. I really wanted the coffee mug that Kirk uses in Star Trek Beyond, but they never released a licensed version. Which if fine, now I cradle my Black Alert mug.

by Anonymousreply 546February 13, 2018 11:09 PM

I don’t think they should introduce Spock. I like a good Vulcan cocktease.

by Anonymousreply 547February 14, 2018 12:39 AM

Lovely cast photo with not a straight white guy in sight. How far we've come since the 60s.

R547 The writers should cocktease the shit out of him. *Sarek and Michael arrive to the bridge* "Oh, you [italic]just[/italic] missed Spock; he's in Engineering now. *They go to Engineering* "Oh, Spock just went on an away mission, sorry!" ... and on and on until Enterprise departs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548February 14, 2018 4:28 PM

^^ The android lady, i.e. LtC. Airiam serves as Second Officer and outranks five people in that photo. I wonder what her story is. I find it odd that androids would be promoted over the... erm, biological crewmen. Is that bigoted of me?

by Anonymousreply 549February 14, 2018 4:56 PM

R549 They've never confirmed she is an android. She may be an cybernetically enhanced alien.

by Anonymousreply 550February 14, 2018 5:40 PM

R550 Ooh, I like that even better!

by Anonymousreply 551February 14, 2018 6:09 PM

It irritates me how some folks complain (Reddit, online pop culture journals, etc.) about the lack of development of the bridge characters. It’s the first fucking season! Did we know everything about every character in any of the other ST shows?? Leave something for the other seasons!

by Anonymousreply 552February 14, 2018 7:24 PM

r552 I actually saw someone complaining on Reddit today that The Orville managed to focus on its bridge crew, and with fewer episodes. As if that show had a season arc of any kind it needed to tend to! It's easy to focus on more characters when you do a reset every episode.

by Anonymousreply 553February 14, 2018 7:30 PM

R552 I actually though they did a lot of great development during the second half of the season. I think the first half was a lot of setup for stories that would come later.

by Anonymousreply 554February 14, 2018 7:33 PM

She’s playing them for rubes! I LOVE IT.

by Anonymousreply 555February 14, 2018 7:55 PM

Oops - wrong thread. Meant for Stormy Daniels thread. (Nice sex work in the finale though!)

by Anonymousreply 556February 14, 2018 7:56 PM

The asian bridge crew twink is my world!

by Anonymousreply 557February 15, 2018 1:07 AM

r557 Same. For some reason, he's stirring some spanking fantasies in me I never knew I had. It's that babyface, probably.

by Anonymousreply 558February 15, 2018 1:16 AM

Maybe he's a swinging bisexual. He seemed to be into Tilly when they were playing beer pong, but she wasn't into it.

Hot fucker, regardless.

by Anonymousreply 559February 15, 2018 1:20 AM

Tilly let her hair down in that party scene. I kinda thought she was asexual at first but nope.

by Anonymousreply 560February 15, 2018 1:25 AM

That entire party scene was great. Tilly talking about how she used to be into soldiers, but now she was into musicians, and then her saying that maybe she was still into soldiers when Ash gave a heartfelt toast about the fallen.

Combined with Stamets distracting her with "I just saw the HOTTEST guy over there, and apparently he's in a band!"

by Anonymousreply 561February 15, 2018 1:33 AM

And the exaggerated wink she gave Michael when she and Ash started to dance.

by Anonymousreply 562February 15, 2018 1:34 AM

R552 Most of the bridge crew aren't even real characters: They're essentially set dressing. The alternative is have a bunch of random extras who change week to week. I can't believe anyone expects them to have character development. Most of them probably never will.

by Anonymousreply 563February 15, 2018 3:11 AM

Appreciate DL at times like these, R553, R554, and R563. Y’all a bunch of fucking nerds. 👍🏼

R563, I think we’ll see something over time. (Need to know that cyborg!)

by Anonymousreply 564February 15, 2018 4:31 AM

I had a sex dream about Rhys and woke up horney...

by Anonymousreply 565February 15, 2018 4:39 AM

[bold]Saru is Star Trek: Discovery’s unsung hero[/bold]

[quote]And the show’s casually dismissive treatment of him is wasting some terrific story opportunities

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566February 16, 2018 3:33 PM

[bold]CBS Chief Tells Investors ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Is “Runaway Success” + More Viacom Merger Buzz[/bold]

[quote]Showtime and CBS All Access were reported to have a combined base of close to 5 million subscribers, which Moonves clarified was split “about 50/50” between the two, or around 2.5 million for All Access.

[quote]Speaking specifically about All Access, Moonves talked about how the growth was driven by Star Trek, saying: "2017 was a breakout year for CBS All Access. We doubled our subs year over year and we kicked off our best month ever in January. We are driving this growth first and foremost with our content. This includes our big events like the NFL and the Grammys, more than 10,000 episodes of current and library programming, and our original series programming, lead by Star Trek: Discovery, which was obviously a runaway success."

[quote]Speaking about what is next for All Access, Moonves confirmed Discovery is going into production in for its second season in April [...]

[quote]While discussing international licensing deals, Moonves again brought up Discovery as an example of how they decide when to license something: "Let’s go back to Star Trek, which was as expensive a production as we have ever done. We were just launching All Access. We got a huge amount of money from Netflix for the international rights and it made it very viable for All Access and we continue to do that."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567February 16, 2018 3:40 PM

Some more figures, courtesy of TrekCore.com Twitter account:

[quote]CBS CEO Les Moonves just revealed that the average age of CBS AA + Showtime online streaming subscribers is 20 years younger than their broadcast viewers.

[quote]80% of streaming customers are between 18-49, av. age 38years

[quote]Moonves says they're on track to beat their goal of CBS AA + Showtime subs of 8M by 2020

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568February 16, 2018 3:43 PM

I'm rewatching the season now and even the two-part opener is more bearable now, in hindsight. Lorca's little glances toward Michael make a lot more sense as well.

What will Stamets - an astromycologist - do on Discovery now that the ship is no longer equipped with the spore drive?

by Anonymousreply 569February 16, 2018 3:59 PM

r569, spore drive optional.

by Anonymousreply 570February 17, 2018 2:58 AM

Well, what did he do before the spore drive, r569?

by Anonymousreply 571February 17, 2018 3:30 AM

R571 He only got invited to Discovery because of the spore drive project with his colleague. Telling him to do something else on a starship is a bit like telling anyone doing applied research to start researching something else all of a sudden, when they had only studied in that one field previously.

But then again, Michael is a xenoanthropologist and she seems to be doing just fine in different roles. Of course, they both have "commander" as part of their respective rank and you don't get that if you're not at least a little bit versatile, right?

by Anonymousreply 572February 17, 2018 10:21 AM

Finally found an article that confirms Airiam is an augmented human, not an alien. So basically a cyborg.

They could really explore the whole body modification thing with her and also provide a convincing argument as to why [italic]everyone[/italic] isn't modded in some way by that point in the future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573February 17, 2018 2:09 PM

See link for more info on the bridge crew.

About Saru: Love the character, the personality, hate the rubber. I don't think they did a particularly good job on the face. It looks like somebody slapped some rubber on the face and a kid played with it for five minutes. All the bumps and ridges look just arbitrary to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574February 17, 2018 3:38 PM

I fucking [italic]hated[/italic] Saru's facial prosthetics when I first saw the promo shots but grew to like them by the end of the first episode. It makes him look bovine which makes perfect sense as his species was bred as livestock, so we immediately get that association.

Joann Owosekun's name rocks; that is all. Can't wait for the reveal of Rhys' and (B.A.) Bryce's names as well.

by Anonymousreply 575February 17, 2018 4:00 PM

[bold]Star Trek: Discovery talked about by online fans more than even The Walking Dead[/bold]

[quote]You may have been watching every episode as soon as they released them, or maybe the whole thing has passed you by, but just how big is the revived Star Trek on the small screen?

[quote]Huge, according to industry analysts Parrot Analytics. Through tracking online streams both legal and illegal, and social media chatter, the sci-fi franchise notched up over 53 million 'Demand Expressions' near the end of January.

[quote]What that means is, in terms of both people watching and online hype, Discovery is trouncing everything else, including traditional TV heavy hitters like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead and Stranger Things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576February 17, 2018 4:46 PM

It’s Sunday. I’m having withdrawals. Black Alert!!

by Anonymousreply 577February 18, 2018 2:35 PM

R577 I threw a massive tantrum on Monday already so I'm good today. But I do hate it when they take a toy away from me like that.

R574 Someone on Reddit made a good observation that the bridge crew wasn't developed more because that would have required more lines, which translates into more money for those actors. Well, extras, really. Now that both Yeoh and Isaacs are gone, they will simply redistribute their salary among these people going forward. Makes perfect sense from the business perspective.

Still elated with DISCO's ending, I watched the first three episodes of TOS for the first time this week - including the unaired pilot - and was shocked. Not just by delicious firm asses everywhere (sans padding!) but that it actually [italic]doesn't[/italic] come across as an afterschool special. Sure, the acting and the overall aesthetic are dated, but the plots and the themes being explored are extremely well-done, and in its first season as well! Why do I always fall into that cognitive trap of treating people in the past as juvenile idiots who didn't know any better?

Having said that, the treatment of women is something else. I won't really delve into that because it was of its time, as everything else is. I'll just say we've come a [italic]long[/italic] way in fifty years, at least in the Western world.

by Anonymousreply 578February 18, 2018 3:15 PM

I will say that as much as their gender politics were not especially woke, they did right by Uhura a lot. She's told once that apart from Spock, she's the best computer scientist on the ship. And her "Sorry, neither!" followed by a shove when Drunk Sulu calls her a fair maiden is a classic. There's a fun episode of the animated series where the men are all ensorcelled by exotic alien women and she takes command of the ship, too.

[quote]I watched the first three episodes of TOS for the first time this week - including the unaired pilot - and was shocked.

I will defend "Balance of Terror" as being one of the greatest episodes of television ever. The Disco producers compared their fall finale to it, and while that wasn't nearly as tight an episode, it had the same vibe and edge-of-your-seat tension.

by Anonymousreply 579February 18, 2018 3:26 PM

Balance of Terror was fantastic. “He’s a sorcerer that one!” “The Centurion body too.” So many great lines. Superb acting.

Kirk walking through the hall at the very end was cool. Wished they had done more of that kind of camera work.

(Lt. Martine recovered well from her loss. She was getting her thing on later in Shore Leave.)

by Anonymousreply 580February 18, 2018 3:45 PM

I’m fascinated by Kelpiens. Are there females and do they look simular to the males? Reproduction? Religious beliefs, if any? Doug Jones is doing a wonderful job.

I will say that the appearance of his Threat Ganglia creeps me out enormously. Ick. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 581February 18, 2018 3:49 PM

[quote]Balance of Terror was fantastic. “He’s a sorcerer that one!” “The Centurion body too.” So many great lines. Superb acting.

"If the Romulans retain this martial philosophy, then weakness is something we dare not show." That line always gives me the shivers.

[quote](Lt. Martine recovered well from her loss. She was getting her thing on later in Shore Leave.)

What's funny is that her name changes halfway through the episode because they didn't realize the actress had also been Martine.

Shore Leave also has one of my favorite one-off characters, the feisty Yeoman Barrows.

by Anonymousreply 582February 18, 2018 3:58 PM

r581 Even though I keep going on and on about Andorian antennae, I'm not turned on by Saru's threat ganglia at all. However, I will admit to licking my lips the first time they popped out. They looked [italic]delicious[/italic] so I'm glad the writers incorporated that into the plot.

I feel so awful for saying that because Saru's my favourite character and I'm also interested in learning more about the Kelpiens. He mentioned there are few of his kind left, which makes me wonder why and whether the cause of that was fairly recent. Wouldn't really make sense to breed livestock with a long lifespan, would it?

Bonus pretty gif.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583February 18, 2018 3:59 PM

Love the gif, R583. They’ve embued Discovery with some charisma. The way she moves. (I’m Marying again.)

I’m so impressed with the special effects on this series. Every episode is like a mini-movie.

by Anonymousreply 584February 18, 2018 6:03 PM

Last 3 minutes of S1 finale. (Love the way Saru walks on his “hooves.”)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585February 18, 2018 6:06 PM

[quote]I feel so awful for saying that because Saru's my favourite character and I'm also interested in learning more about the Kelpiens.

If you're at all interested, the first Disco novels have been coming out. They seem to be coordinating a bit more closely, much like the SWEU is now inclusive of the books and comics.

Anyhoo, the first, Desperate Hours was about Michael first becoming the Shenzhou's first officer and a crisis that brought the Shenzhou into conflict with Pike's Enterprise. The second, Drastic Measures, is about what Georgiou and Prime Lorca were up to during the Tarsus IV massacre that's talked about in the TOS episode "The Conscious of the King" (with cameo by 14-year-old Kirk). The third, Fear, Itself, is about Saru.

by Anonymousreply 586February 18, 2018 6:14 PM

Fffffuck. 3rd novel’s about Saru? Yay.

I’m finishing up the 1st one and it’s pretty well written. (Used to read all the ST books as a kid. Good. Bad. Whatever!)

by Anonymousreply 587February 18, 2018 6:24 PM

Desperate Hours didn't really grab me (which is weird, but I usually really like Mack's writing), but I've been enjoying Drastic Measures.

Although I did hear Anthony Rapp geeking out about it on the StarTrek.com podcast. He said he'd devoured it and then suggested Jones, Yeoh, and Martin-Green read it to add to their performances.

by Anonymousreply 588February 18, 2018 6:28 PM

r586 Thanks for the tip! It'll be the first ST novel I buy and I'm glad I'll lose my virginity to Saru of all characters.

by Anonymousreply 589February 18, 2018 6:42 PM

Tom&Lorenzo's belated review/essay of the second half of the season.

[quote]In short: Star Trek is a messy franchise by its very nature, as evidenced by the fact that every single iteration of the franchise started out roughly. Despite the flaws in this first season, we’ve always been fairly confident, based on the people involved in this version, that ST:D will, as many different versions of the franchise did, eventually find its footing, primarily by understanding what its strong points are and leaning hard into them.

[quote]Michael Burnham isn’t the first female or person of color at the center of a Star Trek show. Nichelle Nichols broke way more barriers simply by being a black woman on the bridge crew of the Enterprise 50 years ago. But [italic]Wonder Woman[/italic] wasn’t the first superheroine movie and [italic]Black Panther[/italic] isn’t the first movie about a black superhero. [bold]It’s not about doing it for the first time, but doing it for a modern audience, with all the expectations that entails.[/bold] For us, looking at the series that way imbues it with some importance and tends to forgive it of a lot of its sins.

Tom really gets it. He didn't like Culber being offed, though.

[quote]The death of Dr. Culber was an unfortunate creative choice, not only because it was a stale iteration of the “Kill Your Gays” trope, but because he made for the third person of color killed in the main cast since the season premiere. It was just … sloppy and messy. Worse, it added nothing to the storyline. There were a few passing references made to him after he died, but aside from that, everyone moved on so quickly from his death that it bordered on being just a bit offensive.

We got a confirmation from Rapp that Culber is returning but I don't think that's going to remove the bad taste left in people's mouth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590February 19, 2018 7:32 PM

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm betting it has to do with Tilly's mysterious green spore. She seems to be the conduit for everything that's good in the Prime Universe.

"Wherever you are, I hope he's with you." Sniff.

by Anonymousreply 591February 19, 2018 7:37 PM

[quote]She seems to be the conduit for everything that's good in the Prime Universe.

That's very nicely put! I guess the green colour could stand for love as pink would be too on the nose.

by Anonymousreply 592February 19, 2018 7:47 PM

I suspect that Tilly will be able to activate the spore drive outside the chamber.

She is sporolicious.

by Anonymousreply 593February 20, 2018 5:15 AM

r585 I absolutely love that shot of Neptune at 0:33. And then Saru asks "Have we cleared the Sol system?" and my mind is blown. Here's an alien captain to whom this particular solar system is neither native nor (probably) anything special. So refreshing to see but it really messes with my Sol-centric perspective and Earth privilege.

As an aside, I'd be a shit captain as I'd just be finding excuses to remain parked in Neptune's orbit all the time, observing all the pretty. And what a soothing sight for the nerves all that blue is as well; a bit like looking at a fish tank.

Here's a funny gif comparing turbo lift duration in DISCO and the Kelvin movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594February 25, 2018 10:57 AM

R594, Neptune is a beautiful planet. My fave also.

I’m continuing to read the Discovery book Desperate Measures. Saru comes across in an interesting manner. Some insights into his homeplanet and where Kelpiens live eco-wise....

by Anonymousreply 595March 2, 2018 1:48 AM

The Vulcan extremist from the Lethe episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596March 2, 2018 11:42 PM

Re the Vulcan suicide bomber, why are Vulcans on Star Trek always so illogical? Any logical assassin would have taken steps to assure his target couldn't react. He probably wouldn't have even explained his actions before committing the act (villains explaining things to their victims is always highly illogical).

by Anonymousreply 597March 3, 2018 5:01 AM

You want to know more about Kelpians? This is a fictional character. Just make something up. That's what they're doing.

by Anonymousreply 598March 3, 2018 5:09 AM

r595 Ha, you sent me on a wild goose chase for a moment there because you had combined Desperate Hours and Drastic Measures into one title.

r598 Do you not understand how literary fiction works or?

Someone please make a cute new thread for us and post the link as the last reply here. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 599March 3, 2018 10:22 AM

Sorry, R599! 😂😂😂.

by Anonymousreply 600March 6, 2018 3:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!