Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Phantom Thread (2017)

Written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Lesley Manville and Camilla Rutherford.

Thoughts about the trailer? Will you be seeing this in theatres or stream it later?

Comes out December 25th in the US and in February elsewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116December 13, 2018 9:29 PM

It looks pretty but that trailer didn't intrigue me very much.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2017 3:21 PM

According to DDL, this will be his final movie. I'm sure the critics will be watching intently for any hint of that finality in his performance here.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2017 3:27 PM

Behind the scenes at a couture house, of course I'm going to see it. Not really sure about the female lead actress though, is she suppose to be unremarkable?

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2017 3:30 PM

I avoid Anderson's films. I have disliked all of the ones I've seen. Otherwise I'd go for Daniel Day Lewis. He goes back cobbling full-time after this does he not?

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2017 3:31 PM

I am sick of DDL, but I love the beautiful cinematography - that would tempt me. I don't want to watch something sadistic or depressing, though....

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2017 3:34 PM

R5 - How exactly are you sick of DDL? He has been in eight movies in the last ten years.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2017 4:19 PM

I used to really like him in the beginning, but just the ego mental vibe in general is a turn-off. I walked out of Gangs of New York. I did not want to see There Will Be Blood. Overacting screaming.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2017 4:23 PM

"According to DDL, this will be his final movie."

Translation: I want that 4th Oscar!! This is your last chance!

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2017 4:28 PM

I think DDL is as beautiful now as he was in his 20's. The movie looks like a snooze fest but I'll probably see it because of him.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2017 4:28 PM

Maybe DDL won't be enough to make me stay. I walked out of There Will Be Blood. Glad I didn't stay for the screaming.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2017 4:52 PM

Merchant/Ivory with a gay subtext?

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2017 5:31 PM

Yeah cuz Merchant Ivory wasn't GAY or anything

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2017 5:45 PM

I love PTA as a movie man and I'd love to hang with him and talk cinema, but EYE don't like his movies. They wreak of the lamp, so to speak, terribly worked on and trying to impress themselves.

In addition, DDL is the most overrated actor in history. Without question.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2017 5:55 PM

Isn't DDL's character supposed to be gay? You'd never know it from the trailer.

At least this looks better than THE MASTER, and it won't have Joachim Phoenix carrying on like a Method-mad grotesque.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2017 7:03 PM

The actress doesn't look interesting (I don't know her). They could have cast César nominee model/actress Marine Vacth instead of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2017 7:19 PM

No more cobbling. he's now enthralled with dressmaking.

No shit.

No really, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2017 7:19 PM

PTA hasn't made a good film since the 90s. I used to keep hoping, but at this point, he's lost me.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2017 7:20 PM

R14 Joachim Phoenix

I hate Joaquin Phoenix. PTA is my favorite director I hope he never works with him again in any of his films.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2017 7:21 PM

Oscar bait with a December opening just in time to make the cutoff for award season.

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2017 7:24 PM

Hope Day-Lewis wins another Oscar over that caricature of a performance by Oldman

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2017 7:42 PM

Cinematography by Paul Thomas Anderson

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2017 7:44 PM

At $35 million, this is Paul Thomas Anderson's second highest budgeted movie after Magnolia (1999) at $37 million.

by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2017 1:19 AM

Fourth collaboration between Director Paul Thomas Anderson and Film Composer Jonny Greenwood.

by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2017 1:20 AM

Christmas 2017. #PhantomThread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2017 1:24 AM

Guy Lodge‏ @GuyLodge

Just watched the PHANTOM THREAD trailer, and RIP the Oscar hopes of any costume designer who isn’t Mark Bridges this year.

by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2017 1:26 AM

Bow down to Paul Thomas Anderson. These 20 shots prove his cinematography debut will be a stunner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2017 1:27 AM

So he's playing a STRAIGHT fashion designer? Huh? Looks like an old Merchant Ivory movie.

by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2017 2:35 AM

Does anyone know what this movie is about? The trailer bored me to tears.

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2017 2:56 AM

I hate most Paul whatsisface's movies. Inherent Vice was total crap and hiring repulsive, decidedly unfunny Joaquin Phoenix was a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2017 3:44 AM

Plot

Set in the glamour of 1950s post-war London, renowned dressmaker Reynolds Woodcock (Daniel Day-Lewis) and his sister Cyril (Lesley Manville) are at the center of British fashion, dressing royalty, movie stars, heiresses, socialites, debutants and dames with the distinct style of The House of Woodcock. Women come and go through Woodcock's life, providing the confirmed bachelor with inspiration and companionship, until he comes across a young, strong-willed woman, Alma (Vicky Krieps), who soon becomes a fixture in his life as his muse and lover. Once controlled and planned, he finds his carefully tailored life disrupted by love.

by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2017 3:52 AM

Why DDL character is straight? :|

by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2017 3:53 AM

It sounds like a drag.

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2017 5:00 PM

Will not be watching this. Have no interest in it. Give me a Kelly Reichardt movie.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2017 6:02 PM

I read somewhere that it was inspired by this article about the designer CHARLES JAMES

James was a BIG OL' QUEEN though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2017 6:03 PM

Another de-gaying project from Hollywood

by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2017 6:10 PM

So this is the Phantom Thread thread?

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2017 6:26 PM

Well, this isn't a biopic so the writer is free to change the main character's sexuality. It's a more approachable film that way, though way less interesting.

But yeah, a missed opportunity for DDL to play a gay guy. He'd definitely land his final Oscar that way.

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2017 6:36 PM

That synopsis doesn't say that DDL is 100% straight. Maybe he's "conflicted" (IE he likes dick but can't come out)

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2017 6:59 PM

Also, his "muse" is played by a plain mousy actress.... hint hint

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2017 7:03 PM

Oh dear, he's been straightwashed... start the boycott.

by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2017 7:58 PM

R38 DDL plays a womanizer...how many gays do you know are womanizers?

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2017 8:03 PM

^ I am

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2017 8:04 PM

In Phantom Thread's description it say DDL's character is a "Confirmed Bachelor" does this mean his character is gay?

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2017 8:07 PM

Could they not call the film "Uncle Bottom" and be done with it?

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2017 8:10 PM

Per the Film Stage, Phantom Thread is set in the glamour of post-war London in the 1950s and will follow renowned dressmaker Reynolds Woodcock (Day-Lewis) and his sister Cyril (Lesley Manville) who are “at the center of British fashion, dressing royalty, movie stars, heiresses, socialites, debutantes and dames with the distinct style of The House of Woodcock.” In addition to his admirable fashion sense, Woodcock is a wee bit of a womanizer, whose numerous lovers provide “the confirmed bachelor with inspiration and companionship until he comes across a young, strong-willed woman, Alma (Vicky Krieps), who soon becomes a fixture in his life as his muse and lover.” Will his carefully tailored life unravel when he falls in love? We’ll find out in two months.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2017 8:10 PM

R13 In addition, DDL is the most overrated actor in history. Without question.

the award for the most overrated actor in cinematic history goes to the one and only Bobby De Niro

by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2017 8:12 PM

“the confirmed bachelor"

by Anonymousreply 47October 24, 2017 8:12 PM

[quote]How exactly are you sick of DDL? He has been in eight movies in the last ten years.

He’s only been in SIX movies in the past TWENTY years!

by Anonymousreply 48October 24, 2017 8:35 PM

"a missed opportunity for DDL to play a gay guy"

DDL played gay way before it was cool to play gay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 24, 2017 9:09 PM

R49 I know, I should have added "again". Noticed it immediately after I had posted it.

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2017 9:11 PM

Phantom faces at the windows, Phantom shadows on the floor

by Anonymousreply 51October 24, 2017 9:22 PM

I read that the current cut of Phantom Thread is 195 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 52October 24, 2017 9:22 PM

Daniel Day-Lewis = Jennifer Connelly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 24, 2017 9:28 PM

If Altman can’t make an interesting film about fashion I doubt Anderson can.

by Anonymousreply 54October 24, 2017 11:30 PM

I'm sure the resemblance between Lesley Manville, playing DDL's sister and partner, and Vicky Krieps playing his muse is not accidental. It's very evident in the trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 25, 2017 3:28 PM

What's your theory? R55

by Anonymousreply 56October 25, 2017 3:49 PM

Man ole is a live wire when she is in Mike Leigh films here she looks dull like the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 57October 25, 2017 6:18 PM

[bold]Exclusive: Daniel Day-Lewis Opens Up About Giving Up Acting After Phantom Thread[/bold]

[quote]Before making the film, I didn’t know I was going to stop acting. I do know that Paul and I laughed a lot before we made the movie. And then we stopped laughing because we were both overwhelmed by a sense of sadness. That took us by surprise: We didn’t realize what we had given birth to. It was hard to live with. And still is.

DDL in campaign mode. I can't bring myself to read the whole pretentious thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 28, 2017 9:36 PM

I think the trailer is gorgeous. I can’t wait to see the film.

by Anonymousreply 59November 28, 2017 9:39 PM

A womanizing British couturier in the 1950s?!

by Anonymousreply 60November 28, 2017 10:40 PM

The glamorous and exciting world of heterosexual male fashion designers!!!!

by Anonymousreply 61December 3, 2017 1:57 AM

W&W for R44

by Anonymousreply 62December 3, 2017 3:26 AM

Maybe he IS playing a gay character.

by Anonymousreply 63December 3, 2017 4:05 AM

...Instead, the actor and Anderson pulled from a handful of top fashion designers. The actor and director name-dropped Cristóbal Balenciaga, Hardy Amies, Norman Hartnell, Michael Sherard, Digby Morton, Edward Molyneux, Victor Stiebel, and John Cavanagh throughout the discussion. According to Day-Lewis, “We splashed around in all their experiences.”

by Anonymousreply 64December 3, 2017 7:15 AM

That DDL quote in R58's posting makes me glad DDL is quitting the profession, though he's far from the only actor to indulge in that kind of pretentious navel-gazing.

The film looks gorgeous but rather dull.

by Anonymousreply 65December 4, 2017 1:57 PM

Reviews embargo lifts tomorrow at noon EST.

by Anonymousreply 66December 7, 2017 12:06 AM

Thats confusing. A movie about a straight womanizing fashion designer? I couldnt even tell the women apart, they look the same. Really strange.

by Anonymousreply 67December 7, 2017 12:24 AM

Funny coincidence: DDL's gonna try to get his 10th Oscar because he must receive an Oscar every time he deigns to pull one of his stunts. The leading lady is Lesley Manville who is the first wife of Gary Oldman who's probably gonna get DDL's 10th Oscar..

by Anonymousreply 68December 7, 2017 2:44 AM

Embargo lifted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 7, 2017 4:18 PM

I hate that domestic abuser Gary Oldman and he's a joke in Darkest Hour hope DDL wins his third Oscar for this film!

by Anonymousreply 70December 7, 2017 4:33 PM

Guillermo del Toro‏ @RealGDT

1/ 3 Phantom Thread. What a great title. Reminds me of the "thread that joins us" together speech in Jane Eyre- the Gothic Romance to end them all...

2/3 “I have a strange feeling with regard to you. As if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly knotted to a similar string in you...

...And if you were to leave I'm afraid that cord of communion would snap. And I have a notion that I'd take to bleeding inwardly. As for you, you'd forget me.” Thst Romsntic thresad, with time, with emotional greed, becomes a nooze.

I haave not seen it, but I will- opening day.

by Anonymousreply 71December 7, 2017 4:35 PM

Paul Thomas Anderson’s “Phantom Thread” Poster by @studiotstella and @midmarauder

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 7, 2017 4:35 PM

DDL is so up his own ass. As is PTA. He'll never surpass Boogie Nights, his last movie with likable characters. The Master was a giant missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 73December 7, 2017 4:37 PM

Alejandro G. Inarritu on @RealGDT #TheShapeofWater "A film that loves, without conditions, the marginalized, the rejects, those beings that are “different” and have no voice."

by Anonymousreply 74December 7, 2017 4:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 7, 2017 4:37 PM

R70 Fourth Oscar.

R73 I also hate how affected DDL is.

by Anonymousreply 76December 7, 2017 4:38 PM

The Master was a very difficult movie to sit through but it was so beautiful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 77December 7, 2017 4:39 PM

One bad take so far from Mashable's editor:

[quote]PHANTOM THREAD is lovely & fascinating & daring & expertly made and then a few days later you realize it's not really about anything

There's also a rotten review in the National Review, bitching about the lack of a tidy three-act structure. But I won't link to that dogshit site.

by Anonymousreply 78December 7, 2017 4:53 PM

Perfect for the Trump era? Or would people perhaps be turned off by this?

[quote]...a didactic study of a fantastically cold brute. - Variety

[quote]The story of a bullying narcissist who lacks the ability to have a relationship, and the outrageous way he’s schooled into becoming a human being. It’s the story of a control freak made by a control freak. - Variety

by Anonymousreply 79December 7, 2017 5:03 PM

Sorry wrong topic

by Anonymousreply 80December 7, 2017 6:24 PM

VIdeo review by Ben Mankiewicz, Alonso Duralde, Christy Lemire, and Matt Atchity.

Raves from all of them. The explanation of the title blew me away; I just thought it was an artsy thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 28, 2017 9:51 PM

They should have made a modern-day version about an older man with no money living in a small apartment who likes all things tasteful but is obese and needs a walking stick. He considers himself and arbitrator of taste and style but he closet he gets to fashion is watching Project Runway.

by Anonymousreply 82December 28, 2017 10:00 PM

Dave Ehrensen (sp) has written an online review that talks about the straightwashing aspects of the project and how all the designers Anderson claims to use as models were all GAY.

by Anonymousreply 83December 28, 2017 10:24 PM

I'm so disappointed at straightwashing on this film

by Anonymousreply 84December 28, 2017 10:28 PM

R83 Yeah, I love how Christy in R81's video counters Alonso's point about straightwashing, saying that it was Balenciaga who was actually PTA's inspiration for this movie. As if Balenciaga was straight!

by Anonymousreply 85December 28, 2017 10:33 PM

Is the character DDL plays supposed to be straight? That's too much fiction for me.

by Anonymousreply 86December 29, 2017 1:24 AM

I'm normally a big fan of indie films, even pretentious foreign ones.

But this looks boring AF and just obtuse.

Have any of you actually seen it?

by Anonymousreply 87January 8, 2018 11:19 PM

The trailer bored me and in no way made me want to see the movie. It looked like a huge amount of nothing.

by Anonymousreply 88January 8, 2018 11:24 PM

That was my opinion too R88-- I had no idea what the movie was even about nor did I care enough to google it. Seeing DDL at GG last night was the only reason I bothered to look it up on DL

by Anonymousreply 89January 8, 2018 11:26 PM

r89, I could have also added that--I had no idea what the movie was about from the trailer, either.

by Anonymousreply 90January 8, 2018 11:57 PM

It was very stylish etc, but it was like a bad night at the theatre.

by Anonymousreply 91December 12, 2018 3:34 PM

I thought it was a great film. Excellent performances

by Anonymousreply 92December 12, 2018 3:43 PM

Harriet Harris was terrific in a cameo as his weathly client.

by Anonymousreply 93December 12, 2018 3:43 PM

*wealthy*

by Anonymousreply 94December 12, 2018 3:44 PM

Isn’t DDL homophobic?

by Anonymousreply 95December 12, 2018 3:52 PM

R83, I think you mean David Urine-stain.

For what it's worth, I thought this was one of the best movies last year. Lots of bitchy comments in this thread prior to its opening about how much it was going to suck. Sorry, bitches.

Lesley Manville was my pick for Best Supporting Actress last year. I thought she was spectacular (and she got the biggest reaction to her clip at the show).

by Anonymousreply 96December 12, 2018 4:08 PM

DDL is the most overrated actor working today. His historionics would work better on stage. Like Peter O’Toole he just bellows and chews scenery. At least O’Toole worked on stage.

Lewis just drips ego and when he does have to play a more subtle character like Lincoln the sappy false modesty come across so blatantly.

Remember when his son was a rapper? Bahaha “Don’t discrinate against me just because me dads famous —that’s racist!”

Gary Oldman is too common for you guys here and his history with women doesn’t exactly endear him to you but he is amazing and should have as many awards as DDL. I saw Sid and Nancy, JFK and Dracula growing up since they were all made before I was born but when I did I truly found a great actor to respect.

by Anonymousreply 97December 12, 2018 7:56 PM

Yes, I thought you sounded young, R97.

by Anonymousreply 98December 12, 2018 8:03 PM

I was very sad to see PTA cut out of the pictures at Tarantino's wedding. They showed Maya Rudolph and captioned her but iced out her husband aside from a spec of his face. Her husband, need I remind you, who is one of the 10-15 greatest living directors in cinema.

by Anonymousreply 99December 12, 2018 8:18 PM

It's a terrible film that's more boring than I ever thought possible. Hated every second of it.

by Anonymousreply 100December 12, 2018 8:23 PM

It’s like something someone wrote out for their failed Creative Writing MA.

by Anonymousreply 101December 12, 2018 9:51 PM

I'm with you, r100. There are few movies I loathed as much as I did PT. The most implausible, improbable plot ever.

by Anonymousreply 102December 12, 2018 10:21 PM

"Does anyone know what this movie is about?"

It's a character study of two supremely fucked up people.

by Anonymousreply 103December 12, 2018 10:24 PM

"I'm so disappointed at straightwashing on this film "

The idea of a designer of luscious gowns being straight boggles the mind, but the fact is that this is an essentially straight story. Woodcock is the kind of straight man who treats women as puppets or conveniences, is exploitive and completely thoughtless to them, discards them on a whim... and who finds he appreciates being punished for it. The aspect of treating women as tools or pretty toys doesn't really translate to gay relationships, where of course someone may be treated as a pretty toy, but not "the other".

Disappointing film. The central character wasn't interesting, and even if it looked luscious the fashions were disappointing. It's like the movie's costume designer looked through a catalogue of Charles James designs, and copied a few while missing whatever it was that made each one great.

by Anonymousreply 104December 12, 2018 10:47 PM

And who knew feeding somebody poisoned mushrooms which give you explosive diarrhea could save a relationship?

Total crap this movie was.

by Anonymousreply 105December 13, 2018 1:21 AM

Regarding your view on the fashions, R104, I assumed that many design innovations of the time would still be considered proprietary and can't replicated without consent/payment. Wasn't that the consensus on the larger thread about this film?

by Anonymousreply 106December 13, 2018 3:30 AM

can't *be* replicated

by Anonymousreply 107December 13, 2018 3:31 AM

THE PHANTOM THREAD a gender-reversed 50 SHADES OF GREY.

by Anonymousreply 108December 13, 2018 12:48 PM

[quote]DDL is the most overrated actor working today. His historionics would work better on stage. Like Peter O’Toole he just bellows and chews scenery.

Anybody who parrots this extremely shopworn criticism of Day-Lewis is hard to take seriously. Have you seen My Beautiful Laundrette? The Unbearable Lightness of Being? The Boxer? In the Name of the Father? The Age of Innocence? The Ballad of Jack and Rose? Please point out all the overwhelming bellowing, scenery-chewing, and OTT-ness of those performances. We'll wait.

Too many of those who trash on him are under-30s who think his entire career consists of Gangs of New York and There Will Be Blood. I do not have time for their shit anymore.

And anyone who thinks that all Peter O'Toole ever did was chew scenery needs to watch Venus. And then shut up.

by Anonymousreply 109December 13, 2018 1:07 PM

[QUOTE]their failed Creative Writing MA.

I think you mean MFA.

by Anonymousreply 110December 13, 2018 2:01 PM

Not that poster, but I'll play.

[quote]Have you seen My Beautiful Laundrette?

So good.

[quote]The Unbearable Lightness of Being?

Not a patch on the book.

[quote]The Boxer? In the Name of the Father?

Sentimental dribble, both of them. His hamminess suited Sheridan's style.

[quote]The Age of Innocence?

His American accents of any era and location suck.

[quote]The Ballad of Jack and Rose?

A ridiculous performance.

by Anonymousreply 111December 13, 2018 3:27 PM

DDL was an excellent Newland Archer in The Age of Innocence. He really captures the carefulness and delicacy of that character. And that is one of Winona's best performances (I think she was probably second place in the voting for Best Supporting Actress that year).

by Anonymousreply 112December 13, 2018 4:23 PM

Greatly enjoyed seeing PT on the big screen when it came out - the blend of opulence and queasiness worked for me (and I'll see anything by PTA). I thought all DDL's notional demerits enriched his characterisation of the spoiled narcissistic doomed main character.

Loved also that it was the kind of film guaranteed to provoke long threads here on DL, to which I added my two cents and more. Droll that another such has now been bumped. Really looking forward to seeing it again sometime to see how it stands up, knowing what I now know.

by Anonymousreply 113December 13, 2018 4:29 PM

[quote] They showed Maya Rudolph and captioned her but iced out her husband aside from a spec of his face. Her husband, need I remind you, who is one of the 10-15 greatest living directors in cinema.

They're not married.

by Anonymousreply 114December 13, 2018 9:23 PM

DDL . a great actor, was the LEAST of the problems with PT. It's just too bad that if it's his swan song, he goes out on this dreadfulness.

by Anonymousreply 115December 13, 2018 9:27 PM

I really liked this movie, and it was surprisingly funny.

by Anonymousreply 116December 13, 2018 9:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!