Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Almost Like Being in Love: Judy at Carnegie Hall. Does anyone come close to this brilliant performance? - Part 2

Momma was fabulous. Phlease continue...

by Anonymousreply 344January 29, 2018 12:45 AM

Judy was an incredible talent. I sometimes look at her early films, when she was a teenager, and wonder what might have been if she had not been hooked on drugs. She is amazingly strong, talented of course, and one has to wonder...what might she have accomplished if MGM had not forced her into taking drugs so early on?

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2017 6:56 AM

Discussion originated here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2017 6:58 AM

I must pause to watch "A Star Is Born" whenever it airs. The studio recording of "The Man That Got Away" that she did for Capitol Records is one of the best recordings of all time.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2017 7:01 AM

"The Man That Got Away' sequence in ASIB is one of the greatest moments of the film. She is incredible. One long take, only she could have done it.

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2017 7:02 AM

Gayest thread in datalounge history continues... carry on fuckers!

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2017 7:02 AM

Judy has always inspired wonderful threads here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2017 7:08 AM

Remember her greatness. Let's try to post anyone from today that comes close to that level of talent. OK, I have no one, but GO!

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2017 12:24 PM

Except for Streisand, I can't think of anybody.

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2017 12:51 PM

That's the key. There's no one. Streisand is long past her vocal prime. No one can sing like Garland, even Streisand in her prime.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2017 3:31 PM

[quote]Streisand is long past her vocal prime.

Yes, because she isn't a drug addict who committed suicide on a toilet.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2017 4:43 PM

Vocally, Streisand, Eydie Gorme and Shirley Bassey were at least as potent as Judy. Maybe even better. What Judy had is hard to put into words. A sincerity and natural connection to her audience that the others don't have. It enabled her to rise above the quality of her performance.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2017 5:25 PM

[quote]A sincerity and natural connection to her audience that the others don't have.

This really doesn't make much sense. Why did Streisand sell MANY more times the albums that Garland did if she didn't connect with her audience as well?

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2017 5:28 PM

Nobody here is bashing Barbra, r12 so stop getting your panties in a twist. We are just discussing the relative merits of their voices. Neither has to be 'better' than the other. They're both great in their own way.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2017 6:36 PM

I'm speechless at this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2017 6:52 PM

A dried up old hag to portray the greatest entertainer of the 20th century, or any century???!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2017 7:18 PM

R15 If the movie is about Judy's latter years, they will need to cast a "dried up old hag" to portray her.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2017 7:20 PM

Something bad will happen to Mary r16

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2017 7:22 PM

A dried up old hag to portray a dried up, doped up, mentally ill entertainer, R15.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2017 7:38 PM

R18 I hope you die in a grease fire. Everyone has their demons.

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2017 7:41 PM

Is Renee going to recreate the famous scene, singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow while gargling a mouthful of traveling salesman cum?

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2017 7:44 PM

R20 it wouldn't be Datalounge without cunts like you.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2017 7:46 PM

R19/R21 is not going to like this bio-pic!

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2017 7:48 PM

It'll never get made.

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2017 8:11 PM

I want to see a movie about Judy's MGM years, not about the very sad last year of her life. This depresses me.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2017 9:11 PM

OMG eldergays fighting over who is the better vocalist between Judy Barbra, etc. OMG gayest thing I have ever witness. I need to leave now! So embarrassing! Its like the other embarassing gays fighting over who is better Celine vs Mariah... pathetic@

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2017 9:14 PM

I don't disparage Barbra, and maybe she was technically better. But, I cry when I see Garland sing Man That Got Away, or When the Sun Comes Out. I'm thrilled by Barbra, but she's never moved me to tears.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2017 9:17 PM

R26 That probably has a lot to do with knowing how sad Garland's life was vs. Streisand's.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2017 9:23 PM

What could have happened differently at MGM that would not have destroyed Judy at the studio? I think a key mistake was her marrying Vincente Minnelli. Unlike her first husband David Rose (who to my knowledge, never cashed in on Judy with books or articles), Minnelli was a diehard studio man who would try to instill in her the belief that MGM and Arthur Freed had only her best interests in mind. MGM thought he could control her and keep her in line.

If, following Rose, Judy had married a stronger man who was not beholden to the powers-that-be at MGM, she might have been spared Freeds slave-driving routine that ran her ragged and caused her to retreat even more into pills.

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2017 9:35 PM

I think Judy singing When The Sun Comes Up for the second time on her series is just pure light. Energy and sound. Pure feelings. She even sways as if feeling the electrocution of the moment that she's creating. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2017 9:38 PM

R28: I think she was doomed regardless. I suspect that she was bipolar and that was never treated.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2017 9:53 PM

R30 that's rather universally accepted. There was little help then.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2017 11:27 PM

I think if she'd had a different mother, a loving woman who looked out for her instead of a stage mother who was only interested in Judy's moneymaking abilities, we'd have had a different adult hood from Judy. She had been so damaged by her mother who helped Mayer push the drugs on her as a child, and then by the death of her father, that it was difficult for Judy to believe that anyone truly cared about her. People in that position rarely take care of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2017 2:15 AM

Add to that all her talent, R32. What a recipe for a sad personal life.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2017 3:20 AM

AA and/or NA were both alive, well, and saving hundreds of lives in LA starting in the 1940s.

And both were and are 100% free of charge.

Some make it, but most don't.

by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2017 9:35 AM

R34 she was a major star by what, 1939. I am aware of AA/NA being present in LA, but they may have well been located on Mars. She could never attend these meetings publicly. Think of the times.

by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2017 8:48 PM

No one matches Judy, and there are plenty of other singers I like. IMO it's in her eyes and flesh, the way she connects to the audience even through the camera. Very few people have that. I loved her as a child and still love her now. There's something unmistakable about her.

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2017 8:52 PM

Listen to her various recordings of "You Made Me Love You" (she was what, 14??) Every single one rings true, yet they're all different. How she does this is beyond me. It's as if she's improvising the whole thing, when she's not. She had a natural talent that very few people have. She simply gave it all, and what she had was plenty.

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2017 8:54 PM

r37 well said

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2017 9:05 PM

Judy Garland in 2017 is still relevant enough for Hollywood to be making a film about. That's enough to put a kibosh on those who've said, or doubted her relevancy to people who are under sixty and not gay men.

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2017 9:22 PM

No one will ever match this. Prove me wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2017 9:24 PM

The only one who can come close to Garland is not Streisand. It was Frank Sinatra at the height of his powers.

They both had an uncanny way of squeezing every drop of meaning from a lyric.

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2017 9:24 PM

Still relevant in 2017, yes, but what you need is footage and soudreels. No performer will be able to mimic what she had.

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2017 9:25 PM

[quote]Vocally, Streisand, Eydie Gorme and Shirley Bassey were at least as potent as Judy.

What about me?

by Anonymousreply 43October 25, 2017 1:16 AM

r43 only Streisand. Gorme was loud and pedestrian. Bassey is overrated.

by Anonymousreply 44October 25, 2017 1:20 AM

Remember that Garland was performing since the age of 2. She grew up in the theater. In vaudeville, specifically. Which is why she was bigger than life and why Streisand, when she performs, is not. Vaudeville played to the last row of the house. Streisand is fabulous if you are in the first twenty rows. If you're in the balcony it's less compelling. Don't get me wrong, I love Babs and have seen her live numerous times.

by Anonymousreply 45October 25, 2017 3:42 AM

BUUUUMMP

by Anonymousreply 46October 26, 2017 4:29 PM

Hey, what about me? Judy loved me, Streisand was in awe of me, Sinatra hated me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 26, 2017 4:55 PM

Wow Part 2! Judy, Judy, Judy... it’s all for you.

R39 yes she is loved by all, including this female who is under 50.

Someone from Part 1 posted a TV version of The Man That Got Away and asked who directed it. It was Norman Jewison, from the Judy, Frank and Dean TV Special, 1962. The show’s star was definitively Judy; Frank and Dean were ornamental. Very appropriate. Love it.

Much later, in one of her televised biographies, Jewison said that he has worked with many talented people in the film and television industries, and when it comes to Judy Garland,

“Nobody. Comes. Close.”

Of course they don’t.

by Anonymousreply 48October 26, 2017 5:12 PM

[quote]Judy Garland in 2017 is still relevant enough for Hollywood to be making a film about. That's enough to put a kibosh on those who've said, or doubted her relevancy to people who are under sixty and not gay men.

It is never going to be made.

by Anonymousreply 49October 26, 2017 5:44 PM

Does anyone comes close to the brilliant Carnegie Hall performance? Answer: No

But I will say this. In live performance, one artist tries really hard to do what Judy did. It is not Barbra or Edye or anyone else already mentioned.

Bette Midler is absolutely captivating in concert. Her 1993 tour, Experience the Divine, was unforgettable. The audience was on a rollercoaster - she brought major energy to every song and had us soaring, then would beautifully caress a ballad and had everyone in tears. I mean it would go from total hysteria to silence and back all night. And she happens to be funny as shit a la Judy.

Bette has spoken of Judy’s incomparable greatness.

by Anonymousreply 50October 26, 2017 6:17 PM

r50 you are right about Bette. I saw her 1983 tour in Pittsburgh in a small theater. And I've seen her dozens of times since, recently in Dolly. She can make you laugh and cry in the same breath. But vocally, she's nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 51October 26, 2017 6:43 PM

I agree. Bette is the greatest live performer I've ever seen. I wish I could have seen Judy live.

by Anonymousreply 52October 27, 2017 3:54 AM

Everyone said Judy's live performances were earthshaking.

by Anonymousreply 53October 28, 2017 6:15 PM

I got soudreels once back in the '90s but found a terrif podiatrist who cleared it right up!

by Anonymousreply 54October 28, 2017 6:20 PM

Bette really is way better live than confined to a screen. She's just busting with the kind of theatrical energy that can come across as phony or ridiculous on screen, but thrilling in the back row of a theater. I've often wondered what her Gypsy would have been like on stage. On screen, it's abysmal and impossibly hammy, but maybe it would have worked on stage.

I've also noticed that performers with less traditionally pretty voices like Bette Midler, Liza Minnelli, Ethel Merman, Elaine Stritch, Carol Channing, etc. comes across brilliantly on stage. They're so alive and in the moment that you could care less if the sound coming out of their mouth is a bit harsh. On recordings and on film, it might bother you more. I've often wondered why this is. I saw Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard last year and, while she clearly is far from the best singer to have ever sung that score, she was so alive and in character that I seriously didn't even notice one bit. The same thing happened when I saw Tyne Daly in Gypsy. She was so in character that it was almost as if she made her own vocal limitations disappear.

by Anonymousreply 55October 28, 2017 10:29 PM

r55 really great thoughts. I too saw Daly in Gypsy and was blown away. The voice didn't matter at all. Same with Bette, Cher, Liza etc. Judy Garland really had it all, the stage presence to command traditional stage work, film work, radio and TV. That's what sets her apart from anyone else, really.

by Anonymousreply 56October 29, 2017 12:19 AM

R55 and R56, I agree with your assessment of Tyne Daly as a performer and here is proof - a wonderful performance of "Trouble" from "The Music Man" (please see link below).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 29, 2017 3:47 AM

Tyne's really great in that clip. She just has musicality in her bones, which I think is really the most important part of a great musical performer. I also saw her in Gypsy and, for my money, she's still the best Rose I've seen in my life (and I've seen 'em all). Hilarious, charming, terrifying, disturbing, and heartbreaking all at once.

by Anonymousreply 58October 29, 2017 4:39 AM

Judy would have been a lovely Marion the librarian

by Anonymousreply 59October 30, 2017 2:05 AM

God, I HATED Tyne Daly in Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 60October 30, 2017 2:23 AM

Speaking of GYPSY, I bet Judy would have been fascinating in that role. VERY different, but fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 61October 30, 2017 2:24 AM

yes. fascinating. and she'd have sung the score like nobody's business.

by Anonymousreply 62October 30, 2017 5:56 AM

I wish she had sung some of the GYPSY score on her television show.

by Anonymousreply 63October 30, 2017 10:48 PM

I could swear I've heard her sing "Some People." Must've dreamed it.

by Anonymousreply 64October 31, 2017 8:43 PM

If Judy had cleaned up her health in the 1950s she could have breezed through the 1960s doing the film versions of Gypsy, Mame and Hello Dolly. She would have been perfect for all three.

by Anonymousreply 65October 31, 2017 8:50 PM

R64, could it be that you're thinking of the fine version Liza did at Radio City Music Hall?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 31, 2017 9:53 PM

Here's Some People from the TV show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 31, 2017 11:03 PM

That's it, R67, thanks!

(I NEVER get Judy and Liza mixed up - please!)

With more rehearsal, a different director, in the context of a show, she would have been even better.

I don't really like it when Liza does her fake New Yawk accent.

by Anonymousreply 68October 31, 2017 11:34 PM

I bought this album as a young lad and had to hide it in my room so my father wouldn't discover it. He was horrified by my love of Judy Garland, Leontyne Price, and Marlene Dietrich and would remark that no son of his was going to listen to "that fag shit" while he was around.

God knows what he would've done if he'd found my copies of City of Night and The Occasional Man!

by Anonymousreply 69October 31, 2017 11:49 PM

Oops, R64, I stand corrected! I should have given you more credit than that :)

by Anonymousreply 70October 31, 2017 11:54 PM

I believe Jerry Herman is on record as having envisioned Garland for Mame from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 71November 1, 2017 7:04 AM

r71 I'll ask him.

by Anonymousreply 72November 1, 2017 5:14 PM

FYI, Garland sang "When the Sun Comes Out" on her show after Streisand famously sang it on Ed Sullivan. Judy phrased the song and handled the dynamics almost exactly as Streisand did (first)!

No bashing of either here- both are vocal geniuses and I love both as well. Just an FYI-

For my money they are both in a class by themselves at the top of the great popular singer totem pole. I DO wonder what Garland might have sounded like (never mind the effect on her career) as well has sung as time went on if she had not been such an addict. Streisand was very much in her vocal prime at 47 which was the age of Garland when she died.

by Anonymousreply 73November 1, 2017 5:33 PM

R68, Judy didn't rehearse.

by Anonymousreply 74November 1, 2017 5:37 PM

She was never in a Broadway production either. Producers would have insisted.

by Anonymousreply 75November 1, 2017 5:50 PM

If the show was after 1950, she would never have passed the insurance physical.

by Anonymousreply 76November 1, 2017 7:12 PM

R71, Streisand didn't sing it first. Judy was singing it at the Cocoanut Grove in 1958--it's on that album.

by Anonymousreply 77November 1, 2017 7:44 PM

^ that should be R73

by Anonymousreply 78November 1, 2017 7:45 PM

r77 took the words right out of my mouth. Garland at the Grove 1958.

by Anonymousreply 79November 1, 2017 9:10 PM

Edie Gorme recorded it in 1957

But Helen O'Connell is the one who introduced it.

I love the swanky 1940s orchestration. It really milks the melody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 1, 2017 10:07 PM

R80, I knew Judy didn't introduce the song--but it seemed R73 thought that Streisand sang it before Judy got to it and implied that Judy copied her phrasing and dynamics.

by Anonymousreply 81November 2, 2017 2:41 AM

I love the sound of Judy's voice so much. And it's funny, I was immediately attracted to her as a child. I remember seeing her movies with Mickey Rooney when I was very small and I instinctively loved her.

by Anonymousreply 82November 2, 2017 5:23 AM

R82 me too. Maybe there was something boyish about her. I remember when I was a little kid having a big crush on Jodie Foster in those Disney movies she used to do. And Kristy McNichol.

by Anonymousreply 83November 2, 2017 5:31 AM

I'm still perplexed as to how ASIB could have lost money in that initial release. Garland hadn't made a film in four years and this was a big, sudsy melodrama with music. A sure-fire winner, I'd think. And yet....it wasn't. How did that happen?

by Anonymousreply 84November 2, 2017 6:05 AM

ASIB is kind of a chore to sit through. Too much focused on Judy. She has to carry the whole film on her shoulders. James Mason is a big nothing. "Meet Me in St Louis" works so well because of the sub plots and strong supporting characters.

by Anonymousreply 85November 2, 2017 10:19 AM

I agree, r85. As others have said, Mason and Garland have NO chemistry, so we don't really care what happens to him. His story should be as important as hers. We don't know WHY he became a washed up drunk - what did stardom do to him? - It just wallows in his degradation.

by Anonymousreply 86November 2, 2017 11:34 AM

Cary Grant wouldn't have worked either. I think that William Holden would have rocked it.

by Anonymousreply 87November 2, 2017 1:47 PM

Interesting. I hadn't considered Holden for the role but he certainly did play a drunk convincingly. And he was a great actor and very sexy at that time.

by Anonymousreply 88November 2, 2017 5:06 PM

A Star is Born can kinda be a slog at times. It has brilliant moments, but I think another 20 minutes removed would have helped it. Still, it's a masterpiece compared to that Streisand version.

by Anonymousreply 89November 2, 2017 5:46 PM

r89 you're right. It's just too much JUDY and a bad wardrobe does not help.

by Anonymousreply 90November 2, 2017 8:54 PM

I keep telling you, I COULD GO ON SINGING has none of those problems.

Find it, watch it, love it!

by Anonymousreply 91November 2, 2017 10:11 PM

Hmmmm...ASIB would have been good with William Holden. And Rosemary Clooney in the female lead.

by Anonymousreply 92November 3, 2017 11:40 PM

I think ASIB is a pretty terrific movie.

by Anonymousreply 93November 4, 2017 2:56 AM

Rosemary Clooney was a wonderful performer, but she didn't have the star power to carry a film like ASIB. And the truth is, she didn't photograph very well.

by Anonymousreply 94November 4, 2017 12:05 PM

I have mentioned before here about seeing Judy Garland a few months later in 1961. For me, the high points were "Come Rain or Come Shine" and "That's Entertainment." The later because Judy danced around the stage while the music is kept playing..

by Anonymousreply 95November 4, 2017 2:35 PM

Okay, R94, replace Clooney with Eartha Kit!

by Anonymousreply 96November 4, 2017 5:43 PM

Any other memories of seeing her, r95? I'm pea green with envy!

by Anonymousreply 97November 4, 2017 7:50 PM

On my seeing Garland perform in 1961: If you listen to the complete Judy at Carnegie Hall with earphones, it's the closest you can get to what she was like in person. Her voice had declined by the time her TV show started in 1963, The one essential TV special was Judy iwith Sinatra and Dean Martin, taped in 1961, but shown on TV in 1962. She at her peak there was well.

by Anonymousreply 98November 4, 2017 8:54 PM

R98 how did her voice decline? She sounds fantastic- especially in the concert shows. I think the decline happened after Hong Kong in 1964.

by Anonymousreply 99November 5, 2017 2:15 AM

R95 How lucky you are to have had your stereocilia vibrated by Judy's live voice. Cherish that memory. Hold it dear.

by Anonymousreply 100November 5, 2017 4:09 AM

Yes, the vocal decline came when she was put in an iron lung in Hong Kong. Her vocal cords were damaged.

by Anonymousreply 101November 5, 2017 4:32 AM

R95 I remember you posting about seeing Judy Live here. Didn't your Aunt take you to a concert in New York?

Listing to her live album as a child and adult, that had to have been so memorable. She held an audience like no other!

by Anonymousreply 102November 5, 2017 5:05 AM

Back in my student days in NYC, about once a year I'd turn off the lights in my bedroom, turn the stereo sound up loud and play the Carnegie Hall album, imagining I was there watching her. It was always a thrilling experience.

by Anonymousreply 103November 5, 2017 6:26 AM

Who is Hollywood should play Judy in the biopic that DL should produce?????

by Anonymousreply 104November 5, 2017 11:15 PM

Dame Shirley Bassey is an electrifying live performer. She is probably closest to Judy in terms of the devotion of her fans. She started performing as a headliner in the late 50s and only retired a few years ago. Her shows lack spontaneity but her vocal power and conditioning has always been staggering.

by Anonymousreply 105November 5, 2017 11:16 PM

BUUUUUUMP

by Anonymousreply 106November 6, 2017 7:32 PM

Shirley Bassey does not know subtlety - EVER. For that reason alone, R105, she doesn't serve to be mentioned with Garland, Streisand or any in the top echelon.

by Anonymousreply 107November 6, 2017 8:12 PM

Shirley Bassey is wonderful but she's her own thing.

by Anonymousreply 108November 6, 2017 8:26 PM

Bassey

by Anonymousreply 109November 6, 2017 8:46 PM

Garland

by Anonymousreply 110November 7, 2017 2:10 AM

Judy

by Anonymousreply 111November 7, 2017 5:31 PM

Shirl has always acknowledged Judy (as well as Miss Dorothy Squires) as an influence.

by Anonymousreply 112November 7, 2017 5:34 PM

I listen to Judy a lot. I've concluded that she was sublime vocally until late '63. There were also some moments in '65 (The Music That Makes Me Dance), and some of the renditions on the Palace album are good- but by late '67 someone should have done something to help her. I know if I could have I would have.

by Anonymousreply 113November 7, 2017 8:10 PM

She sounds great at the Harold Arlen tribute in November 1968.

by Anonymousreply 114November 7, 2017 8:30 PM

r114 you're right I forgot that night! Imagine if it were Florence Henderson!

by Anonymousreply 115November 8, 2017 11:35 PM

I'd forgotten all about that story, R115.

by Anonymousreply 116November 9, 2017 7:33 PM

BUMMP FRIDAY

by Anonymousreply 117November 10, 2017 2:28 PM

One of the biggest theaters in Hollywood (the ARCLIGHT) is showing Meet Me In St Louis next week! How nice it would be to see it on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 118November 13, 2017 12:13 AM

Judy's Presenting Lily Mars was supposedly her favorite among her films, according to daughter Liza. She certainly looked beautiful in it, that's probably why.

by Anonymousreply 119November 13, 2017 5:34 AM

"Presenting Lily Mars" is sort of a hodgepodge of story and song with two big bands thrown in. You can tell it is a Joe Pasternak production as it aims simply to be breezy, fun entertainment. Like Judy's other two Joe Pasternak films "In the Good Old Summertime", and the delightful "Summer Stock" it succeeds wonderfully at its goals.

"Lily Mars" approaches A-List only in its dazzling finale a lavish medley ending in "Broadway Rhythm" complete with extravagant choreography, perhaps Judy's best dancing on film, and her partner is future director Chuck Walters who also dances with Judy in "Girl Crazy". Judy is sublime in the number.

The finale replaces the original number filmed, a song called "Paging Mr. Greenbacks" which I'm not sure survives. Has anyone even heard the audio?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120November 13, 2017 7:34 AM

The audio of the "Mr. Greenback" number is on the essential Rhino double CD of most of her MGM musical tracks, including cut and fairly obscure early ones. It's energetic but meh. Stills exist of the completed number which was shot on the "Capitol Steps" set used in BABES IN ARMS. The "Broadway Rhythm" audio track on the Rhino CD is longer, with parts not in the film.

I like LILY MARS too. Judy is relaxed and funny and looks great.

by Anonymousreply 121November 13, 2017 11:36 AM

The film doesn't have the opening verse, thank god:

"Did you ever stop to think what a crazy world there'd be/ if we never had a song we could sing?/ Did you ever realize what a lovely melody/ can make a wintry world seem like spring?/When you hear d**k**s singing as they work and as they play/perhaps you'll understand when I say...."

by Anonymousreply 122November 13, 2017 1:01 PM

I think Judy's best dance number is in Summer Stock. There's a scene with Gene Kelly in which her dancing is out of this world.

by Anonymousreply 123November 13, 2017 5:01 PM

Oh, honey, do we have to censor "darkies"?

by Anonymousreply 124November 13, 2017 9:27 PM

Judy did quite a few numbers in blackface in her day.

by Anonymousreply 125November 13, 2017 9:51 PM

I actually thought "I could go on singing" was a good piece of work showing Judy during these final good years.

If you haven't seen that film watch it. There is a scene that shows Judy's real persona perfectly. She's on the piano singing with her son's school friends. This little boy comes out of the crowd and starts doing the twist. It's so disjointed from the song and really funny. Judy turns to the little boy and says "You and I are the only ones doing any work around here". I'd be pretty certain all that was improvised and it shows how funny she was.

by Anonymousreply 126November 13, 2017 10:09 PM

Had Judy's 3 picture deal with Warners been fulfilled, what other two films do you think she'd have made? Carousel?

by Anonymousreply 127November 14, 2017 1:47 AM

She'd have been Julie in Showboat had she not been fired from MGM.

by Anonymousreply 128November 14, 2017 5:35 PM

She may not have wanted Julia. She may have thought the part was too maudlin. Julia's kind of a sad sack when you get right down to it.

by Anonymousreply 129November 14, 2017 6:24 PM

There really weren't a lot of 1950s musicals that would have been right for her.

If Comden & Green's Peter Pan had been made into a film instead of a TV spectacular, Judy would have been perfect for the role.

by Anonymousreply 130November 14, 2017 6:48 PM

I think she'd have been marvy in Oklahoma

by Anonymousreply 131November 14, 2017 6:50 PM

I agree, r130. 1950s musicals were all perky girl-next-door Debbie Reynolds, Mitzi Gaynor and Doris Day. Judy was too mature and 'knowing' for them. Even SOUTH PACIFIC would have been wrong for her. The only one that would have been perfect (which would have probably won her the Oscar) was GYPSY. (Duh)

by Anonymousreply 132November 14, 2017 11:52 PM

I don't think she was right for GYPSY either. She didn't do brassy, pushy, or inconsiderate. It would have been wrong on her. She was an amazing actress but everyone has a range to play, and that wasn't in hers.

by Anonymousreply 133November 15, 2017 12:39 AM

She would have been great in a kind of musical "Norma Rae" - the feisty union worker rebelling, the tiny person against the unfeeling monolith. And think of it ... 'Rae' is an easy word to rhyme for the title song!

Honestly, I think she'd have been well suited for the kind of movies Sally Field did; that is, if she'd lived a couple of decades later and been healthy.

But we can dream, right?

by Anonymousreply 134November 15, 2017 2:57 AM

R67 Jesus Christ, Judy Garland is so fidgety on uppers, it is exhausting to watch her bounce around the stage, flailing her hands and fidgeting her feet.

I do think she was very talented, but I find her insufferably hammy.

by Anonymousreply 135November 15, 2017 3:02 AM

Judy would have done a great GYPSY around the time she did I COULD GO ON SINGING. She was quite prepared to do bitchy in that film.

by Anonymousreply 136November 15, 2017 5:25 AM

R132 And I'm serious about Peter Pan. "Never Neverland" is as if it had been written for her.

by Anonymousreply 137November 15, 2017 11:58 AM

Had she lived she would have made a terrific Miss Hannigan, for reasons too numerous to list here.

by Anonymousreply 138November 15, 2017 12:37 PM

Had she been nine, she'd have made a terrific Annie.

by Anonymousreply 139November 16, 2017 5:09 AM

LOL it's true, she would have been a perfect Annie, maybe even saved that rotten thing from itself.

by Anonymousreply 140November 16, 2017 7:08 PM

While I don't think Judy would have played Rose in GYPSY in the typical brassy, bitchy Merman mold, I think she'd have brought something very different to the role. I can see her Rose being far more pathetic and disturbing than any of the others, because I feel like Judy would have played Rose like a dreamer - like someone with unrelenting optimism even in the worst of times. She genuinely feels like this dream is something realistic for her. I find that far more interesting than a bulldozer who yells every line. It would have probably worked well for a film version.

by Anonymousreply 141November 16, 2017 8:27 PM

I think that Garland would have slayed in Landsbury's role in The Manchurian Candidate.

by Anonymousreply 142November 17, 2017 1:51 AM

R128, when she didn't show up for the first week of shooting she WOULD HAVE BEEN fired all over again.

by Anonymousreply 143November 17, 2017 2:39 AM

I know there's dissent, but I think she'd have been terrific in South Pacific.

by Anonymousreply 144November 17, 2017 4:33 AM

If she hadn't gotten pregnant with Joey, I think we might have had another film out of her after ASIB.

by Anonymousreply 145November 17, 2017 5:56 AM

I think she'd have been lovely in Brigadoon

by Anonymousreply 146November 18, 2017 7:34 PM

She'd have been great in Shirley Jones' role in Elmer Gantry.

by Anonymousreply 147November 19, 2017 5:06 PM

She'd have been great in Shirley Jones' role in The Partridge Family.

by Anonymousreply 148November 19, 2017 5:09 PM

She'd have been great in Shirley Jones' role in Oklahoma.

by Anonymousreply 149November 19, 2017 7:11 PM

She'd have made an awesome Acid Queen in Tommy.

by Anonymousreply 150November 19, 2017 7:15 PM

She'd have been great in YENTL

by Anonymousreply 151November 19, 2017 7:17 PM

She would have been FABULOUS in "The Sound of Music".

by Anonymousreply 152November 19, 2017 8:00 PM

Judy would actually have been great in CABARET

by Anonymousreply 153November 19, 2017 8:10 PM

Actually, R151, although I guess you were kidding, I can picture young (around 25-year-old) Judy in YENTL, playing Hadass (the Amy Irving role). She was expert at projecting innocence and longing. She was small, physically shorter and more delicate than Streisand, who isn't very tall herself. That would have made the illusion of Streisand as a man more believable when they were onscreen together. Judy had those big dark eyes and the vulnerability necessary for the part. She would have looked beautiful filmed in the Rembrandt-painting-look cinematography Barbra used. She could also have added a trace of an accent with no trouble (think of Judgement at Nuremberg). There could have been one or two really fabulous duets of the intertwining inner thoughts of Anshel (Streisand) and Hadass, plus a solo for Hadass, for balance with all the Anshel inner-thoughts solos.

by Anonymousreply 154November 19, 2017 9:13 PM

Judes would have been a hell of an Acid Queen.

by Anonymousreply 155November 19, 2017 11:25 PM

She'd have been great in The Godfather, in Marlon Brando's role.

by Anonymousreply 156November 20, 2017 2:30 AM

AND, R154, Judy's experience with her bisexual side would have worked *perfectly* for the role!

by Anonymousreply 157November 20, 2017 2:34 AM

LOL, R157, I forgot to mention that!

by Anonymousreply 158November 20, 2017 2:47 AM

If Judy had made GYPSY in 1963, wouldn't Liza have been old enough to play Gypsy Rose Lee? That would have been something. And Lorna could have played Baby June!

by Anonymousreply 159November 20, 2017 5:42 PM

Fantasy casting needs to be at least chronologically plausible, doesn't it? Judy couldn't have appeared with Barbra in Yentl because she was dead. Even if she wasn't, she wouldn't have been 25.

Besides, I thought Amy Irving was perfect as Hadass.

by Anonymousreply 160November 20, 2017 7:39 PM

No it DOESN'T have to be chronologically plausible, R160.

She'd have been great in the De Niro role in TAXI DRIVER.

by Anonymousreply 161November 20, 2017 11:42 PM

Love it hale yes Judy would’ve slayed it in those roles, including Brando and DeNiro.

She could’ve played EVERY part in The Color Purple.

by Anonymousreply 162November 20, 2017 11:53 PM

Even Nettie, R162?

by Anonymousreply 163November 20, 2017 11:56 PM

Lol yes even Nettie absolutely. She would have knocked Celie, Shug and Sophia roles out of the park.

Fuck it, she would’ve and should’ve knocked Spielberg out of his chair and taken over.

by Anonymousreply 164November 21, 2017 12:11 AM

The actual song from Carnegie Hall that inspired this thread has not yet been posted.

Here we go.

I pretty much levitate everytime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165November 21, 2017 12:26 AM

r161 I stand corrected. In that case, Judy should have played Mandy Patinkin's role instead. She could have sported her beard from Born in a Trunk. And you know r154 that you would have wanted a glimpse of that sweet, sweet Judy/Avigdor ass.

by Anonymousreply 166November 21, 2017 3:21 AM

Ernest.

Potato.

Abeyta.

by Anonymousreply 167November 21, 2017 12:31 PM

Judy would have done a smashing EVITA

by Anonymousreply 168November 21, 2017 6:17 PM

She'd have been great in the Peter Graves role in Airplane, only she's also be drunk flying the plane.

by Anonymousreply 169November 21, 2017 6:23 PM

she'd have been darling as Marion the Librarian

by Anonymousreply 170November 22, 2017 12:47 AM

the most exciting popular singer to ever walk the planet

by Anonymousreply 171November 22, 2017 7:23 AM

The best there ever was!

by Anonymousreply 172November 24, 2017 5:41 PM

I have never forgiven Mel Torme for that nasty, bitter tell-all he wrote. What a piece of shit he was.

by Anonymousreply 173November 27, 2017 6:26 AM

R173 he rots in hell

by Anonymousreply 174November 27, 2017 1:19 PM

Care to fill us in, r173?

by Anonymousreply 175November 27, 2017 1:42 PM

I loved Mel Torme's book, it was dishy, nasty and fun. Judy doesn't come off well, but we all knew she was a screw up at the time. Torme didn't mean it to be nasty, he was all over every talk show interviewing for the book. I bought it when it came out in 1970, still have it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176November 27, 2017 3:01 PM

He lives next door to me, R175

by Anonymousreply 177November 27, 2017 6:49 PM

Judy Garland would have been over weight for Peter Pan in the 1950s, and the Peter was perhaps associate with Mary Martin (Broadway and TV).

by Anonymousreply 178November 27, 2017 7:08 PM

Judy should have played Stritch on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 179November 27, 2017 8:58 PM

After seeing how long the first thread was, and now this one, I borrowed a copy of the album from the library and just listened to it, twice, and in a word, wow!

Now I will go back to the original thread and read all 600 comments, and then come read this one too.

DL is truly a treasure, thanks for the heads up...

by Anonymousreply 180November 27, 2017 9:18 PM

r180 you're in for a wild ride. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 181November 27, 2017 10:55 PM

"Torme didn't mean it to be nasty..."

Oh yes, he most certainly did. There are people named in the book who disavowed it and said he lied and made up stories that never happened, all of which made Garland look bad. Lena Horne was one of them. After the book came out she said that she and Judy had always been friends and that the scenes he describes in the book never happened. Torme was a pariah for a while after this book came out, btw. Many felt it was in extremely bad taste for him to write and publish the book immediately after Garland's death.

by Anonymousreply 182November 28, 2017 5:08 AM

And btw, on a much later edition I noticed Torme finally wrote a forward in which he tries to excuse his vicious portrait of her by saying something like "No one knew about or understood addiction at that time." Bullshit. He was just a mean, nasty man who tried to make a buck off Judy's death.

by Anonymousreply 183November 28, 2017 5:11 AM

How old are you, r180? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 184November 28, 2017 7:01 AM

The Coyne Sanders book on the Judy Garland Show is essential reading. It doesn't make light of Judy's problems, but it shows how CBS' cavalier attitude to the show undermined the stability Garland so desperately sought and needed. It's also a great early example of the media "dumbing down" a performer in a misguided attempt to "appeal to the masses". Judy was too "sophisticated", so they had assholes like Jerry van Dyke insult her with "You used to be fat!" and "whats a little old lady like you doing on television?"

by Anonymousreply 185November 28, 2017 11:55 AM

Coyne is dead, you know.

by Anonymousreply 186November 28, 2017 9:18 PM

R182, you're entitled to your opinion, but Lena Horne most definitely DID NOT EVER comment on Torme's book or ever say what he wrote was false. Don't lie to try to make a point.

The part about Lena in Torme's book that wasn't true was that she "was a good friend" of his. Period. She didn't say that, I did.

by Anonymousreply 187November 28, 2017 9:52 PM

Lena was a control freak perfectionist, and working with Garland in '63 had to have been a nightmare.

And, from Lena's 1965 autobiography, page 93:

"Florence Mills, I like to think, must have been a little like Judy Garland. A waif they could cry over and pity sometimes, perhaps feel a little superior to, but also kindly toward."

by Anonymousreply 188November 28, 2017 10:03 PM

I absolutely did read, years ago, a refutation by Horne of Torme's portrayal of her in his book. It stuck in my head because it was in that moment that I realized that much of Torme's book was possibly grossly elaborated or entirely made up.

Oh, and thanks for calling me a liar. Nice.

by Anonymousreply 189November 29, 2017 5:39 AM

Produce a link or a source, R189. It doesn't exist, regardless of what stuck in your head.

by Anonymousreply 190November 29, 2017 2:03 PM

Not everything is on the Internet, R190.

by Anonymousreply 191November 30, 2017 12:32 AM

Nice try, R191.

by Anonymousreply 192November 30, 2017 2:38 AM

Why don't you STFU about Lena and watch her and Judy in action. Glorious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193November 30, 2017 11:34 PM

Just as an aside, I'd like to put a word in for another great live concert recording, Lena Horne's The Lady and Her Music. Wonderful singing from beginning to end, peppered with some funny stories about her career. If you've never heard of Light Egyptian before, this is where you find out.

by Anonymousreply 194November 30, 2017 11:51 PM

FYI, Streisand's current Netflix concert is just. plain. wonderful. Elegaic but joyful in tone, it's one of her finest live shows.

by Anonymousreply 195December 1, 2017 12:02 AM

I wish PBS or TMC would take all her television specials and show them, one after the other, maybe on her birthday. That would be fun.

by Anonymousreply 196December 1, 2017 6:26 PM

Nice try, again, R193.

by Anonymousreply 197December 1, 2017 10:42 PM

^^ fucking loser asshole ^^

by Anonymousreply 198December 3, 2017 12:14 AM

R198 = trying so desperately :(

by Anonymousreply 199December 3, 2017 12:19 AM

Judy's been derailed before, she always comes back long after you bickering queens have gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200December 3, 2017 12:44 AM

Thanks for that, R200 :) . The whole song's just great - Judy sounding and looking vibrant and charming as I remembered. But I'd forgotten how great the part is when Judy's singing a duet with the trombone, which (unusually for the times) was being played live in that scene. Wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 201December 3, 2017 1:41 AM

Ever notice how dark the makeup is in Easter Parade? They all look like they've been lying out at the beach all day. I wonder why the makeup was applied to dark and heavy?

by Anonymousreply 202December 3, 2017 3:12 AM

I never noticed that before, r202, and you're right.

In most of her Technicolor Films (MMISL, THG, W&M, TTCRB, TP), Judy looks extremely, almost unhealthy pale. In the EASTER PARADE makeup they perhaps took notice and overcompensated a bit.

by Anonymousreply 203December 3, 2017 7:47 PM

She looked her best in Girl Crazy. Healthy, strong and in control.

by Anonymousreply 204December 4, 2017 5:22 PM

R113, she was long past help.

As for Torme's book being over the top- if anything, undercooked. I know of first hand stories about how out of control Judy was at all stages of her life. Her story is harrowing. That said, she was a genius, no doubt about it. Both Streisand and Garland are show business geniuses- the vocal talents of all time for my money. Difference is that Streisand has been in total control of her life and career since the very beginning of it. It's reflected in their voices and musicianship. What they have in common is the ability to sing big, I don't mean just power. Rather to express the full range of emotions from joy to sorrow and everything else in song, phrasing and vocal color and to get to the core of almost anything better than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 205December 4, 2017 6:18 PM

Totally agree, r204. I don't know why, but GIRL CRAZY seems to be somewhat underrated in her film canon.

by Anonymousreply 206December 5, 2017 11:49 AM

Girl Crazy has an incredibly stupid plot, but she looks great and her singing is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 207December 5, 2017 5:42 PM

The Pirate was well before its time.

by Anonymousreply 208December 6, 2017 2:09 AM

'I think if she'd had a different mother, a loving woman who looked out for her instead of a stage mother who was only interested in Judy's moneymaking abilities, we'd have had a different adult hood from Judy. She had been so damaged by her mother who helped Mayer push the drugs on her as a child, and then by the death of her father, that it was difficult for Judy to believe that anyone truly cared about her. People in that position rarely take care of themselves.'

All of what you said is total bullshit. Ethel Gumm was ambitious for her daughters, she wanted them to succeed in show business, but she was not the monstrous evil harridan Judy Garland portrayed her as, and she did NOT help "Mayer push drugs on her." Nobody stood over poor little Judy Garland, pouring pills down her throat. Everybody at MGM was given drugs but very few of them became hopeless, insatiable drug addicts like Judy Garland. One biographer said this of her: "Judy seems to have the kind of metabolism that welcomes foreign agents and transforms them into hungers that can never be satisfied. "

Judy Garland told a lot of lies. Drug addicts are like that. She was also probably bi-polar. She blamed everybody but herself for her troubles: she blamed her mother, she blamed Louis Mayer, she blamed MGM, she blamed Sid Luft. Everything she said had to be taken with a large grain of salt, and that includes her tales of abuse by practically everybody.

by Anonymousreply 209December 6, 2017 2:37 AM

"All of what you said is total bullshit." Fuck off, cunt. You have no idea what you're talking about. I've read every JG biography there is and nearly all of them agree that her mother was a bitch and a ruthless stage mother. She stood by while Mayer molested Judy and she stood by while Mayer forced Judy to take drugs to sleep and wake up. So go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 210December 6, 2017 3:09 AM

Saw 2ncdcast of Norma at Met this evening. Angela Meade and Jamie Barton, the big cast. Barton minimum 250 pounds to Meade's 300. Rivals indeed. Anybody have better info or guestimate on this topic?

by Anonymousreply 211December 6, 2017 3:42 AM

Oops, wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 212December 6, 2017 3:43 AM

R210, you are a fucked up idiot Judy Garland queen. I don't think you can read at ALL, because the better written and researched biographies of Judy Garland ALL make note of the fact that she was a liar and that her depiction of her mother was insane bullshit. I think you take Gerald Clarke's (he's a REAL big ol' Judy queen) "Get Happy: The Life of Judy Garland" as the gospel truth, but he gets a lot of his information from the ramblings of poor dear drug addicted fucked up insane Judy herself. She spend her life dissing her mother, Mayer, Sid Luft, etc. and Clarke laps it all up, not being bright enough to look at the facts and being a worshipful Judy queen.

Read (that is, if you can read) "Rainbow: the Stormy Life of Judy Garland" by Christopher Finch. It will relieve your ignorance. Now go fuck yourself, you deluded cunt. Judy Garland "molested" by Louis Mayer, who called her a "hunchback! Yeah, Louis Mayer was really hot for short, plain, barrel-chested hunchbacks. He wouldn't have touched Judy Garland with a barge pole, you ass.

by Anonymousreply 213December 6, 2017 2:19 PM

[quote]If Judy had made GYPSY in 1963, wouldn't Liza have been old enough to play Gypsy Rose Lee? That would have been something. And Lorna could have played Baby June!

I could have played a blue costume. Or a chair.

by Anonymousreply 214December 6, 2017 2:41 PM

r213, you are mentally ill. please, get help. you are a danger to yourself and to anyone around you.

by Anonymousreply 215December 6, 2017 4:01 PM

I blocked r213. What was said?

by Anonymousreply 216December 6, 2017 4:10 PM

R210, you were describing yourself, not Judy. Projecting onto and weeping over your favorite star is very typical. Boo hoo.

Note: Garland's older sister Suzy was an alcoholic suicide five years before Garland's. She wasn't ruined by Mother or Mr Mayer. The truth is that whole family is a bi-polar mess, regardless of environment.

by Anonymousreply 217December 6, 2017 6:24 PM

R216: It's just a homophobic, misogynistic rant by some deranged sociopath who thinks Judy should be held responsible for everything except possibly Roy Moore. You didn't miss anything.

It's the same worthless skank who shows up in every Garland appreciation thread.

Meanwhile, to get the taste out of my mouth, I'll take Judy's advice from the opening of Summer Stock. And watch her make the bed. I like watching her do homely things like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218December 6, 2017 6:33 PM

Just block the Judy hater. She's waiting for her colostomy bag stew.

by Anonymousreply 219December 6, 2017 6:33 PM

R215 you are a deranged Judy Garland worshipping loony who can't stand to hear the truth about her. It tears you to pieces to hear anything bad about her. Maybe you should talk to someone about that. You've very ill. Worshipping a dead celebrity like that is very unhealthy.

by Anonymousreply 220December 6, 2017 7:54 PM

"It's just a homophobic, misogynistic rant by some deranged sociopath who thinks Judy should be held responsible for everything except possibly Roy Moore. You didn't miss anything."

"Homophobic?" What an imbecile you are. What's "homophobic" or "mysogynistic" about telling the truth about Judy Garland? And that doesn't constitute being a "deranged sociopath", either, you insane twat. Sounds to me like you're the one suffering from derangement. You're one of those nutj ob Judy Garland fans who are so insane with love for her that any hard truths about her make you have a hissy fit. Boy, are YOU fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 221December 6, 2017 8:01 PM

R219 seems to have a preoccupation with...feces. People like that are called coprohiliacs. They like to talk about shit and they like to touch it and even...eat it. I think if Judy were alive he would want to eat her shit. Yes, I'm pretty sure he'd love to eat the shit of his beloved.

by Anonymousreply 222December 6, 2017 8:05 PM

Am I the only person who can't block people while using Safari? On Chrome it's fine, but I usually use Safari and those options don't pop up.

by Anonymousreply 223December 7, 2017 6:42 AM

r223 I use Safari and I get those round icons at the end of each post, including the block icon.

by Anonymousreply 224December 7, 2017 6:48 AM

I wonder why I don't? I have them on Firefox.

by Anonymousreply 225December 7, 2017 6:50 AM

R225 Ad blocker?

by Anonymousreply 226December 7, 2017 3:52 PM

[quote]Judy would actually have been great in CABARET

Well, Cabaret was based on the 1954 play "I Am a Camera". And that play was based on "Goodbye to Berlin" written in 1939.

So actually, if Judy had been healthy and slim in the 1950s it could have been a great vehicle for her and Mickey Rooney.

Of course it would have been very different musical ... all cleaned up for the times. But the material was there.

by Anonymousreply 227December 7, 2017 4:12 PM

And I forgot to mention the 1955 film:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228December 7, 2017 4:28 PM

Some people cannot accept that she was a very troubled person- probably bi-polar and an addict in her teens. He behavior at times was such that those closest to her would cease going near her, and at the end of her life all had, completely- her children, everyone. That's the end game of untreated addiction usually. That said she was a genius and her music and voice are for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 229December 7, 2017 5:13 PM

I do have ad blocker...is that it?

by Anonymousreply 230December 7, 2017 7:41 PM

r230 Try disabling it on datalounge.com. Hard to say if that's the culprit since different ad blockers work differently. Good luck. You need to be able block a whole bunch of posters around here or you'll go crazy!

by Anonymousreply 231December 7, 2017 9:54 PM

you are right! and thank you.

by Anonymousreply 232December 8, 2017 2:26 AM

that was it! I disabled it and the block feature is back. Glory.

by Anonymousreply 233December 8, 2017 2:27 AM

Cheers. Now let's get back to Judy!

by Anonymousreply 234December 8, 2017 3:08 AM

One of the Judy holy grails for me would be audio from her concert at the Robin Hood Dell sometime in the 1940's. I love Judy's voice in that period and I think a concert performance must have been astoundingly great.

by Anonymousreply 235December 8, 2017 3:53 AM

Whats great about the Robin Hood Dell concerts is after her concert comeback in '51, she mostly had one playlist. She sang material in the earlier concert she only rarely performed later.

I love the name Robin Hood Dell. Need to Google and see how long it lasted.

by Anonymousreply 236December 8, 2017 11:46 AM

The Mann Center for the Performing Arts was founded in 1935 under the name Robin Hood Dell Concerts, as the summer venue for the concert presentations of the world famous Philadelphia Orchestra (known from 1935-1976 as The Robin Hood Dell Orchestra in the summer). The Center moved into its present outdoor facility in 1976, and subsequently was designated the Mann Music Center in honor of Fredric R. Mann, a Philadelphia businessman who supported the cause of summer musical performances in Fairmount Park. In 1998, the facility was renamed to “The Mann Center for the Performing Arts” to reflect the Center’s plans to broaden its programming and service to the overall community.

by Anonymousreply 237December 8, 2017 12:17 PM

What was the impetus for her singing there, does anyone know? Why this one-off in the 40s and then nothing else?

by Anonymousreply 238December 8, 2017 4:12 PM

She sang at a deli??!!

by Anonymousreply 239December 8, 2017 5:39 PM

R239, Judy supplied the ham

by Anonymousreply 240December 8, 2017 10:28 PM

I used to have this on vinyl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241December 8, 2017 10:34 PM

"The Man I Love", "Do, Do, Do", "Someone to Watch Over Me" were some of the Gershwin songs Judy period at the Dell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242December 9, 2017 1:32 PM

WOW! Why in the world wasn't that recorded?? Judy and Kostelanetz? Divine.

by Anonymousreply 243December 9, 2017 7:13 PM

Anybody like the precursor to the Carnegie Hall album, the concert in Paris from 1960?

by Anonymousreply 244December 12, 2017 5:56 AM

I love it r244. It's a very fine rehearsal to the big night in New York!

by Anonymousreply 245December 12, 2017 8:06 AM

There's also the 1960 Amsterdam concert which is the complete concert unlike the abridged Paris recording. She is in better voice in Amsterdam than at Carnegie Hall but her performance has been honed to goosebump perfection by the time of the Carnegie concert.

by Anonymousreply 246December 12, 2017 9:16 PM

The Paris, Amsterdam and Carnegie Hall recordings are priceless and I'm so glad we have them to listen to. OVER and OVER again.

by Anonymousreply 247December 13, 2017 12:28 AM

It's interesting to note the change in her voice from the Paris concert to the Carnegie Hall concert (I haven't heard the Amsterdam). In Paris, she sounds more like the 50's Judy, by Carnegie Hall she is definitely 60's Judy.

by Anonymousreply 248December 13, 2017 12:30 AM

R248 that's true. I think a lot of it is the arrangement is new to Judy.

by Anonymousreply 249December 13, 2017 1:01 AM

was Amsterday before or after Paris?

by Anonymousreply 250December 14, 2017 3:46 AM

Amsterdam was December 10, 1960; Paris was October 28, 1960.

by Anonymousreply 251December 14, 2017 9:03 PM

ah very cool. I need to listen to the Amsterdam concert.

by Anonymousreply 252December 16, 2017 12:44 AM

Comments? I think most of these are no-brainers, but one could certainly argue about the rankings. I do have to say that I have never seen, or even heard of, The Clock. (I know. Shame!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253December 16, 2017 1:42 AM

"No female star of classic Hollywood shown as brightly in musicals as Judy, who often held her own against (or out-shown) co-stars such as Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, and Van Johnson."

He thinks "shone" is "shown."

by Anonymousreply 254December 16, 2017 2:06 AM

Who was it who said that Judy was the only co-star of Kelly and Astaire who made you watch her instead of them? It's so true.

by Anonymousreply 255December 16, 2017 2:35 AM

That article is rubbish. I never read that Astaire did not enjoying working with Judy.

by Anonymousreply 256December 16, 2017 9:26 PM

From all reports Astaire loved working with Judy and was thrilled when they were cast together again in Royal Wedding and The Barkelys of Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 257December 17, 2017 6:29 PM

[quote]was Amsterday before or after Paris?

It was, apparently, after your second barbiturate, Judy.

by Anonymousreply 258December 17, 2017 6:31 PM

[quote]That article is rubbish. I never read that Astaire did not enjoying working with Judy.

I read that he refused to work with her again.

He was told old to be paired with her. Until she caught up with him in looks.

by Anonymousreply 259December 17, 2017 6:34 PM

Too old.

by Anonymousreply 260December 17, 2017 6:40 PM

Astaire's movies following Easter Parade paired him with women just as young as Judy.

by Anonymousreply 261December 18, 2017 9:58 PM

Does TMC ever show The Wizard of Oz?

by Anonymousreply 262December 19, 2017 11:55 PM

Yes R262

by Anonymousreply 263December 20, 2017 1:47 AM

I think Garland really stands the test of time, as we see Gaga playing Vegas so young, and clearly her career is done. Garland was NEVER done, even through March 1969. She may have been an addict, but she was gifted and so immensely talented. We'll never see that again.

by Anonymousreply 264December 22, 2017 12:09 AM

It's true. It is a great regret of mine that I never saw her live.

by Anonymousreply 265December 22, 2017 2:55 AM

Happy Judy Christmas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266December 22, 2017 5:37 PM

It's really a shame that Joey turned out to have AFS. I wonder if he'd have been a performer as well? He was very cute when he was young.

by Anonymousreply 267December 22, 2017 11:04 PM

I'm r264 and I should qualify my statement. When I saw Sarah Vaughn in concert at Carnegie Hall, 1985, I knew I was in the company of a genius. Much like Judy Garland in presence and depth of talent.

by Anonymousreply 268December 23, 2017 1:28 AM

I'm r264, and I must qualify my statement. When I witnessed the greatness of Sarah Vaughn, live at Carnegie Hall in 1985, I knew I was in the presence of a genius, an original. Much like Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 269December 23, 2017 1:30 AM

r255: I'd say Judy .....and Rita Hayworth. You barely notice Gene when he dances with Rita in COVER GIRL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270December 23, 2017 2:48 AM

Wow, R270, never saw it.

She had so much life and enjoyed it so much. Maybe there were dancers with more refinement, but Rita had IT in spades.

by Anonymousreply 271December 23, 2017 4:17 AM

I wonder what the Christmas Concert on the other side sounded like last night! I hear Judy was swingin!

by Anonymousreply 272December 25, 2017 3:00 PM

I hear Liza wanted to join her, but just didn't rehearse enough.

by Anonymousreply 273December 25, 2017 5:04 PM

r273 is that you, Bruce Vilanch?

by Anonymousreply 274December 26, 2017 5:28 PM

What I love about Judy is that she reportedly loved singing at parties. That's how you know that she loved what she did---she got up and did it for no pay, just for friends, and had a ball. Barbra would never do that.

by Anonymousreply 275December 26, 2017 6:57 PM

There are many stories of impromptu singing. One I remember is one that took place in the late '60's. Judy was staying somewhere with gay friends, and they were all partying. It was a hot summer night and the windows were open. Someone at the party put on Carnegie Hall and Judy sang the whole show along to the record. It was like 2am, and a neighbor awoke and followed the music to the house where Judy was singing. She knocked on the door, someone let her in. She made her way to Judy, who welcomed her to sit down. She sat and Judy continued. And all the while, the woman kept muttering "no one will ever believe me" over, and over.

by Anonymousreply 276December 26, 2017 10:44 PM

R276, Did the woman follow the screams of Garland saying "Faggot, faggot, faggot"?

by Anonymousreply 277December 26, 2017 11:36 PM

R277 blocked

by Anonymousreply 278December 27, 2017 12:15 AM

that's an incredible story, do you think it's true? I adore Judy.

by Anonymousreply 279December 27, 2017 12:48 AM

R279 I like to believe that it is.

by Anonymousreply 280December 27, 2017 1:47 AM

Oh poor R278, can't handle the fact that Garland only sucked up to the Gays because by the end that's all that was left. Her own daughter showed what Judy felt about gay men. Lorna Luft on her mother, "I didn't hear the word 'fag' from the kids at school. I heard it from my mother."

by Anonymousreply 281December 27, 2017 2:34 AM

I've heard that Liza, too, likes to sing at parties

by Anonymousreply 282December 27, 2017 6:51 AM

R282 Michael Feinstein's twitter feed has recent performances of he and Liza at the piano.

by Anonymousreply 283December 27, 2017 4:46 PM

I adore Judy...but.........really!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284December 27, 2017 4:50 PM

[quote]What I love about Judy is that she reportedly loved singing at parties.

I heard that, while she did sing at parties, she often resented being asked. It was like asking an architect to draw a building after dinner. It was work.

by Anonymousreply 285December 27, 2017 8:52 PM

She probably didn't like being expected to sing at parties but sing when she wanted.

by Anonymousreply 286December 27, 2017 11:32 PM

R286 that's how I view it.

by Anonymousreply 287December 27, 2017 11:48 PM

I have read that not only didn't she mind singing at parties, she did it gladly and willingly simply because she loved to sing. Judy also understood the power she had over an audience, and bringing her Hollywood colleagues to their knees through her private performances must have given her more than a little satisfaction.

by Anonymousreply 288December 28, 2017 12:02 AM

"Do you think you can make me sing? I sing for me. ME."

~or something like that ~ in her greatest post-studio achievement, I COULD GO ON SINGING.

by Anonymousreply 289December 28, 2017 2:23 AM

Her ""Come Rain or Come Shine" to the bongos is incredible. Youtube has her TV version.

by Anonymousreply 290December 28, 2017 3:38 AM

"What I love about Judy is that she reportedly loved singing at parties. That's how you know that she loved what she did..."

During my parent's party I was a kid in the 1960s (NYC suburbs), I heard adults talking about how Judy would come and sing at your party for $200 cash. She was that broke, and they thought it was pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 291December 28, 2017 3:42 PM

Judy died before I was born, a lot of her later in life singing is just too sloppy. She seems so different in films, so very anxious and PEPPY then later kind of slurry and bad tempered. When she sings there is a thrilling star and a great communicator though. That's what she was born to do. I don't think she was a great actress. She was an hysteric.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292December 28, 2017 7:52 PM

r292 take my advice. Watch her films. Listen to her recordings. Watch The Judy Garland Show. Listen to her radio performances. READ about her. Then get back to us with your nonsensical reply.

by Anonymousreply 293December 28, 2017 7:55 PM

What r292 said was not dissimilar to how Arthur Freed described her: "Talent? The Best. But it's a hysterical talent."

Which only re-inforces my thought that Freed was basically a cold-hearted bastard. Many people consider that Roger Edens was the one with the artistic sensibility that made the Freed Unit the gold-standard of the Hollywood Musical.,

Judy had her problems for sure, but had Freed been a sensitive caring individual, I have no doubt Judy would have never left MGM.

by Anonymousreply 294December 28, 2017 8:59 PM

[quote]She seems so different in films, so very anxious and PEPPY

Hmmmm.... I wonder why .....

by Anonymousreply 295December 28, 2017 9:24 PM

[quote]Judy had her problems for sure, but had Freed been a sensitive caring individual, I have no doubt Judy would have never left MGM.

You can't help a damaged person who refuses to help herself.

by Anonymousreply 296December 28, 2017 9:26 PM

There is nothing nonsensical about my post, except to sad old men who worship outdated emotional excess in a performer they identified with in their long ago youth. Happy Holidays.

by Anonymousreply 297December 28, 2017 9:42 PM

Freed was wrong: it wasn't a "hysterical" talent, it was a daemonic talent. Big difference.

by Anonymousreply 298December 28, 2017 9:49 PM

R298 her talent was chaotic yet overwhelmingly terrific!

by Anonymousreply 299December 28, 2017 9:51 PM

r292 why be a cunto? Are you menstruating? BITCH.

by Anonymousreply 300December 28, 2017 10:04 PM

R294, I think the arranger Conrad Salinger was also very influential. And Kay Thompson worked on other films in addition to Judy's, IIRC. To the twerp who made snarky comments about "old men": go listen to Taylor Swift.

by Anonymousreply 301December 28, 2017 10:08 PM

You have over 60 posts on this thread R300. I never use the word cunt. Gay men of my age try to avoid being THAT gay AND misogynist. What's wrong with putting Garland in some modern perspective? The guy who analyzed her voice was similarly attacked though his posts were correct and largely complementary. I am educating myself about her, but I have my own ears and observations. Nothing I said was disrespectful, though the same can't be said of your many posts R300. I'm a man. I don't menstruate.

by Anonymousreply 302December 28, 2017 10:13 PM

r302 go drink some coffee and discuss Proust in Williamsburg. Fraud.

by Anonymousreply 303December 28, 2017 10:24 PM

I have no idea how all of this Judy being addicted to pills crap started. It's absolutely poppycock. Judy's exuberant energy was solely a by-product of her high-fiber diet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304December 28, 2017 10:30 PM

Who the fuck talks about Proust? Nobody wastes time on that old gay shit in or out of school. Ancient Judy Garland fanatics do I guess. Why are y'all so effeminate?

by Anonymousreply 305December 28, 2017 11:11 PM

That was a very cold assessment from Freed, considering that the cutthroat atmosphere he cultivated on his movies was precisely what drove Judy to pills in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 306December 29, 2017 6:04 AM

[quote]Judy's exuberant energy was solely a by-product of her high-fiber diet.

Tell me 'bout it, luv!

by Anonymousreply 307December 29, 2017 1:59 PM

Old Judy was not a nice person and her phrases trailed off musically and otherwise....she had frontal lobe shrinkage. That's why she always wore a hat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308December 29, 2017 9:42 PM

Barbra would beg to differ on that. She speaks lovingly of Judy and she only knew 'old' Judy, not young Judy.

by Anonymousreply 309December 29, 2017 11:02 PM

What's "speaks lovingly of Judy" got to do with JG's mental illness?

by Anonymousreply 310December 30, 2017 12:36 AM

r3-8 you're a real piece of work. I bet you're a hit at parties. Parties in your mind, because your 800 pound ass can't get out of your mother's basement door.

by Anonymousreply 311December 30, 2017 12:55 AM

you have reading comprehension issues, r310?

by Anonymousreply 312December 30, 2017 1:44 AM

Comprehension issues? Yes Judy had that too. Mercifully they lowered the key here. And the toilet seat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313December 30, 2017 3:37 AM

I've blocked a poster or two on this thread and it's funny how many gaps are between replies. R103 then R109 etc. Ha what a nutjob.

by Anonymousreply 314December 31, 2017 12:03 AM

Ariana Grande just posted this New Year's message to her followers.

Judy's message is as timely and relevant now than ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315December 31, 2017 7:52 PM

Ah Ariana is not such a snot after all. I posted this today and I am not even a Garland fan. The deep existential beauty of the song was unusual for her. Sinatra did it best but on New Years Eve, Garland brings the emotion.

by Anonymousreply 316December 31, 2017 8:05 PM

^oops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317December 31, 2017 9:02 PM

I always loved Madeline's version......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318December 31, 2017 9:11 PM

r318 is a thread killer.

by Anonymousreply 319January 1, 2018 9:01 PM

It's lovely, R318. Never heard it.

R319, you can't kill Garland threads. This is really just a continuation of the first one created - most likely on the day Datalounge opened for business.

As long as there are sensitive people with eyes and ears, there will be Judy Garland fans.

by Anonymousreply 320January 2, 2018 5:38 PM

I'm actually somewhat moved that Ariana Grande would post a Judy Garland video. I'm so glad that young singers are into Garland. Gives me hope.

by Anonymousreply 321January 2, 2018 6:39 PM

Yes totally! It's a beautiful thing.

by Anonymousreply 322January 2, 2018 8:24 PM

Judy...the best there ever was.

by Anonymousreply 323January 5, 2018 1:17 AM

It's fascinating to think of how Judy would have been in The Three Faces of Eve. They wanted her for it, didn't they?

by Anonymousreply 324January 8, 2018 6:43 PM

[quote]Barbra would beg to differ on that. She speaks lovingly of Judy and she only knew 'old' Judy, not young Judy.

What do you expect Barbra to say in public?

Elliot Gould says that when Barbra appeared on Judy Garland's show, she was not nervous at all. She thought that Judy was a has-been and she was the bigger star, better singer.

by Anonymousreply 325January 8, 2018 6:52 PM

Link, or you're full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 326January 8, 2018 7:38 PM

Barbra wasn't nervous; she's said as much. She says that back then she was young and was trying to show what she could do. Her stage fright would begin later. She was surprised that Judy was so nervous and held on to her "with cold, cold hands". She says she was too young and inexperienced to understand why that would be. But just watch this clip. Watch Barbra's reaction to and interaction with Judy. It's full of joy and respect and admiration. Take special note of Barbra being blown away by Judy's singing at 4:50 through 5:02. Then see if you still have the impression that Barbra thought of Judy as a has-been. The admiration went both ways. They elevated each other and they both understood that. The whole connection between them and entirety of their performance that evening is close to miraculous, in my opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327January 8, 2018 7:55 PM

R327 They are professional performers ON CAMERA. They are performing.

It's silly to infer any genuine feelings from what you see.

by Anonymousreply 328January 8, 2018 8:02 PM

R328, no, instead of trusting your own eyes watching the actual performance ON CAMERA (and Barbra turned out to be a pretty good actress, but even I don't believe she's good enough to fake that reaction that spontaneously or convincingly) or believing what Barbra herself has said ON CAMERA and over and over in interviews, by all means infer Barbra's genuine feelings from what her ex-husband may or may not have actually said about what he felt she herself may or may not have actually said or maybe he only felt she felt and didn't actually say in so many words. Yup, it makes so much more sense to go with that. Real clear-cut evidence. Good thinking.

by Anonymousreply 329January 8, 2018 8:21 PM

Barbra: "I touched her hand and it was ice cold. I thought all the pills would make you hot, but I guess not."

by Anonymousreply 330January 8, 2018 8:25 PM

Don't try to reason with someone who is obviously unable to believe anything good or positive about anyone.

by Anonymousreply 331January 8, 2018 9:53 PM

Thank you for that, r327. There is no question Barbra was blown away by Judy. Barbra had appeared with a lot of stars during her early TV "Guest Star" appearances, and Judy was the only star she was in awe of. And the two ladies sparked off each other. "Mmm, Pretty, Pretty!" says Barbra as Judy begins "After You're Gone" and she laughs and says something to Judy when Judy slips in "Gershwin OR ARLEN tune" (Arlen was a close friend to both) Their voices blended uncannily and gloriously.

Right after the show was taped Marty Erlichman told Barbra. "That's it. No more guest star spots for you. No reason for you to perform with others. You've sung with the best there is." (Streisand was supposed to appear with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye on their shows and Erlichman cancelled her appearances)

I would have loved to hear Barbra and Judy sing "Happy Harvest"!

by Anonymousreply 332January 8, 2018 11:25 PM

"She was surprised that Judy was so nervous and held on to her "with cold, cold hands".

Youngster Barbra didn't know that Judy was in a dry drunk.

R332, it's amazing how green Streisand was on the Garland show compared to how she was a year later (when it was taped) as the haughty new star of her own TV special.

by Anonymousreply 333January 9, 2018 2:31 AM

Judy was amazing with Babs.

by Anonymousreply 334January 9, 2018 2:40 AM

haughty? she was starring in her own broadway show at the age of 21 and taping a television special on her days off.

by Anonymousreply 335January 9, 2018 7:55 AM

DUH, R335. One of the criticisms of Streisand in 1965 was that she "had too much confidence" for a 23 year old. It was needed and it worked because she was a star. However, on the JG show, Streisand was a green kid on camera.

by Anonymousreply 336January 9, 2018 4:34 PM

I think it was the slimeball Mel Torme who said that BS AT FIRST did come across as seeming as though appearing with Garland was no big deal for her.

Garland was a real fan and she and Liza played her early albums constantly. (You can hear that in some of Liza's records and TV appearances from that period.)

Judy herself was the one who was nervous about having Streisand as a guest and watched her rehearsals like a hawk and the night of the taping was the first and loudest to whoop and holler and whistle and stamp her feet at Barbra's performance. (All in the Torme book.)

Judy pulled out all the stops when they performed together - she was an extremely competitive performer- and was relieved when it went over so well and proud she had held her own with the hot new powerhouse.

And then I guess she went out and had a cheeseburger and got loaded, but that's our Judes.

by Anonymousreply 337January 9, 2018 5:33 PM

[quote]And then I guess she went out and had a cheeseburger and got loaded, but that's our Judes.

Oh, with all those uppers, I couldn't eat a bite. I just COULDN'T!

by Anonymousreply 338January 9, 2018 5:37 PM

"She was just a green kid on camera"

Bullshit

by Anonymousreply 339January 9, 2018 6:58 PM

She sure is great in The Portland Fancy number in Summer Stock.

by Anonymousreply 340January 10, 2018 1:30 AM

If Torme was such a slimeball, R337, why do you quote his book? Or do you "like" the parts that you like?

by Anonymousreply 341January 10, 2018 1:30 AM

Do you have to like somebody to quote his book?

Huh. Thanx for the info!

by Anonymousreply 342January 12, 2018 11:14 PM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 343January 21, 2018 9:26 PM

Sorry Judy, nobody wants to talk about you anymore. Maybe there's nothing left to say.

by Anonymousreply 344January 29, 2018 12:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!