Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has anyone here bought Bitcoin or other Cryptocurrencies?

Do you still have them or did you sell?

by Anonymousreply 77November 21, 2018 8:39 PM

Asking for a friend

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2017 2:22 AM

I have fractional "shares" of Bitcoin and plan on buying more. Also own 6.2 Litecoin. I'm going to continue to invest in Bitcoin and Litecoin, as well as a few other crypto. If you are serious about buying Bitcoin, buy a hardware wallet to store them (Ledger Nano S).

Bitcoin is now worth $6,000 each, and will probably be worth upwards of $500,000 each in a decade. Fastest appreciating "stock" in history.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2017 3:29 AM

how to buy "fractional shares"? I want to invest in Bitcoin but I don't have 6k to spare....

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2017 3:32 AM

R3

You can buy .0000001 bitcoins. It’s very fractional.

It is another dotcom bubble. They can be easily tracked. If a government agency wants to track a bitcoin, it is child’s play.

It also fails to meet the regression theorem.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2017 3:43 AM

R3, sign up for an account on Coinbase.com. That's how everyone starts buying crypto. Very easy to buy Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Ethereum there, and then send to a wallet. You can email me if you have any questions - elijah.taylor15@outlook.com

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2017 3:49 AM

Thank you for the info R5

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2017 3:57 AM

You have to link your bank account. what if they get hacked ? that's my worry...

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2017 3:58 AM

I am the proud owner of 31.5 bitcoin. I invested about $16,000 altogether. Best investment of my life.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2017 3:59 AM

i own 48.....bought them at 321 dollars.........wow wow wow....I am ecstatic

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2017 4:15 AM

R8

That half million will have to eventually be declared as capital gains if you withdraw or use them.

You owe the government major taxes.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2017 4:16 AM

r10......not if I spend them in another country directly for merchandise (with a private merchant) after I retire and move there.......think about it......

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2017 4:24 AM

when did you start investing in bitcoin?

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2017 4:28 AM

R11, I'm listening. Are there any other ways to get out of paying capital gains taxes down the road? Bitcoin really shouldn't be subject to the antiquated tax law, ugh.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2017 4:30 AM

R11

That’s dangerous.

If any tax authority decides to audit you, these Bitcoins (unless you are scrupulous about connecting your “real identity”) the government can easily connect you to those coins.

It is low risk unless you run afoul of the law, but liquidating that many assets in any fashion is going to attract tax collection.

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2017 4:32 AM

R13

No. You can attempt to liquidate them, and launder them, but any purchase can be tracked with enough time. The problem is that quantum leaps in processing power is making searching the blockchain for transactions much easier. You can launder a coin a billion times and they can still find you.

Government that is losing control will attack indiscriminately at anyone trying to circumvent their powers.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2017 4:35 AM

r14............you really think the "tax authorities" in rural Portugal (Albufeira) are going to track me down for spending bitcoin to buy tomatoes at the local farmer's market........in a rural town..........(and yes, I have witnessed farmers taking them for purchases)......remember they are fractional.....you can spend $.30 in bitcoin if you want to..........for a pack of gum.......or whatever someone will sell you for that thirty cents..........

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2017 4:42 AM

R16

You aren’t in Amerika, land of the unfunded pension.

When the government decides to take your money, it will take your money. You are in a better position than most Americans, though.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2017 4:55 AM

but aren't you supposed to link it to your bank account, of course govt. will have your ID.

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2017 5:01 AM

When the inevitable crash happens will musicals be big again?

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2017 5:07 AM

R11 is not R8.

Anyway, I’m very aware of capital gains tax. But it’s long term capital gains at least.

by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2017 9:36 AM

I think the vulnerability issue will result in a crash more so than the value issue. The original code has now been tweaked and rework and eventually someone will release a more stable, less energy intensive, more robust “coin”.

Ethereum is almost there.

by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2017 1:52 AM

Okay so can I put them in the candy machine to buy my Twix?

Seriously, what are they and how are they used?

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2017 2:00 AM

[quote]but aren't you supposed to link it to your bank account,

No, they can be bought and sold without involving your bank account.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2017 5:07 AM

where to buy Ledger Nano S? only online? was trying to get one in my hands today. so i can buy bitcoin.

anyone bought it via atm in nyc?

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2017 4:52 PM

anyone use wall of coins?

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2017 8:58 PM

it starts trading next wk on major exchange. what will that do to the price? damn! i wished I bought it when i first saw this thread when the price was $6000! it's now more than doubled!

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2017 9:22 PM

Moderation is really slipping if this thread with a shill and his personal email address at R5 is still here.

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2017 9:29 PM

Bitcoin On Path To Functioning Just Like Real Currency After Small Concentration Of People Acquire Majority Of It.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 11, 2017 7:45 AM

I sold my two coins for $250 in like 2012 and thought I was doing well.

I still don't see a future in it. You can't buy much now with it. Now it's so volatile, no one will purchase with it as the price will change in seconds and the transaction fee is high. Verification times normally took ten to twenty seconds but direct exchange was as long as 30 hours in some cases during these high trading times.

There's no real point to it, unless you're laundering money or doing something shady because everything can be done above board and in the open with a dollar or Euro or whatever.

Bitcoins must be stored offline securely because an online exchange can be hacked. Bitcoins have never been hacked but the exchanges have (it's like robbing a bank). So you have to store them yourself to be sure with long secure passwords. The only way to know for sure you're computer is free of malware is to reinstall your O/S, then move your bitcoin to the wallet, then disconnect. To much trouble for now.

Eventually to buy anything of value you're going to have to convert your bitcoins and you'll need to pay tax or whatever you're trying to avoid, so why not do it in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 29December 11, 2017 4:29 PM

prices went up today.

by Anonymousreply 30December 11, 2017 9:24 PM

The fascination with bitcoin is typical of a sputtering recovery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 13, 2017 12:23 AM

Pat Boone says just buy gold.

by Anonymousreply 32December 13, 2017 12:34 AM

Most of the trading in Bitcoin right now is being driven by individual investors from Japan, South Korea and Vietnam. Asian countries have strong gambling cultures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 13, 2017 12:50 AM

If William Devane aint endorsing, I ain't buying.

by Anonymousreply 34December 13, 2017 1:18 AM

R33

The hype is unbelievable.

It is, almost to a beat, an exact replica of the mania around AOL Time Warner, but with a logarithmic frame.

Anything but $/£/¥/€ is valuable.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre...

by Anonymousreply 35December 13, 2017 1:41 AM

I heard some financial guy on the radio talking about this and brought up the Beanie Baby boom of the late 90s. Didn't instill much confidence.

by Anonymousreply 36December 13, 2017 2:08 AM

Japan is driving the boom.

by Anonymousreply 37December 16, 2017 3:26 AM

I put a few hundred dollars into Ripple. It's appreciated by $3K now.

by Anonymousreply 38December 16, 2017 4:31 AM

R38

A sovereign issued crypto backed by gold is going to be the winner.

Singapore is too small. China is too disastrous fiscally.

A cryptoruble is the most likely probability, backed by 6k tons of gold.

by Anonymousreply 39December 16, 2017 4:40 AM

Get in, get it UP and GET OUT

That was the motto of gays and it's the motto of easy money. You too can be rich.

by Anonymousreply 40December 16, 2017 4:48 AM

This has "Ponzi Scheme" written all over it .

by Anonymousreply 41December 16, 2017 4:50 AM

R41

Not really. A Ponzi scheme is based on fraud.

The vast majority buying bitcoin know that they are gambling.

Cryptography and finance are the future, but bit coin is an imperfect vehicle. It will be a noble failure, but without something more than mathematics it will be replaced by better competitors.

The settlement time and expense for bitcoin has reached preposterous levels. Buying one today can take a few hours to a few days of processing time, at a significant premium cost-Two things that bitcoin was supposed to be superior to when compared to visa and MasterCard.

by Anonymousreply 42December 16, 2017 5:10 AM

Oopsie!

Bitcoin plunges $1,000 in less than an hour

The digital currency fell from $17,929 to a low of $16,912 between 3:30 and 4:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, according to Coinbase.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 20, 2017 6:09 AM

BItcoin is so over, buy Bitcoin Cash the fork of Bitcoin.

You can make millions, don't be left out

by Anonymousreply 44December 20, 2017 7:31 AM

spam for today, all about fake money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 20, 2017 10:10 PM

[quote]I put a few hundred dollars into Ripple.

Why? You could've bought some two-buck Chuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 20, 2017 10:30 PM

Did you get out at $16,000? Cause it's down under $14,000.

by Anonymousreply 47December 22, 2017 2:01 AM

yep, i've been buying BTC since late 2014. it can be a pain in the ass to purchase, especially if you want to do it anonymously. i initially used Coinbase, but it would take several days for a transaction to clear. since then i've used many different exchanges, including Paxful (Western Union, though you can basically pay using everything from Amazon giftcards to cash deposits) and , most recently, localbitcoins (paypal). i haven't purchased BTC in several months, but apparently transaction fees have skyrocketed due to BTC's gains. it wouldn't make much sense to purchase a small amount of BTC at the moment due to transaction fees. it's insane that just two years ago one could buy 1 BTC for $200. This time last year BTC hadn't even reached 1k. In October, the last time I purchase, BTC was at ~7k.

That said, I would advise against investing in BTC at this point and instead look at up-and-comers like Monero. Feel free to ask me any questions!

by Anonymousreply 48December 22, 2017 2:18 AM

CRASHEROONIE! Ha, where's shill OP now? Jumped off a ledge?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 22, 2017 9:19 PM

R48

Government is looking closely at the robust nature of block chain enabled transactions.

I will be called a Russian troll, but I am a fan of Elvira Nabiullina. She’s smarter than most. She has been running the central bank through the sanctions over Crimea, RussiaGate, BRI/EAEU negotiations...she’s magnificent.

She has already started a project to link the ruble to a cryptocurrency, a cryptoruble, fully convertible to gold @ 1mg per ruble.

It takes 50 ruble for a dollar, and a gram of gold is worth $40, or R2,000 for a gram, at current prices.

It would be a shock devaluation of 100% against the dollar, but gold transfer would quickly change that.
 As a stable sovereign nation, the cryptoruble would quickly be accepted and useful worldwide.

Russian expats would quickly open black-market branches where Nigerians, Vietnamese, Australians, Indians, Mexicans, and even Americans come to bring gold and exchange it for crypto ruble.
 Since it is a sovereign backed by gold very few companies or individuals would have any problem accepting it. The hardware is already available on chip readers and phones.

The sharp rise in Russia’s export cost would be a challenge for the first year, but the massive increase in what rubles will purchase on the international market would more than make up for it.
If gold hit $12,000 oz then Russians would be sitting pretty to have the next World Reserve Currency.

by Anonymousreply 50December 23, 2017 2:22 AM

Bitcoin under $10,000 now.

by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2018 1:07 PM

r51

Bitcoin? Is that still around

by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2018 2:40 PM

those in the know realize this is a huge huge huge buying opportunity for all the major cryptos..............get a clue............

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2018 2:44 PM

R53

Until you can use bitcoin to buy a cup of coffee without paying $25 in transaction fees it is a speculative asset.

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2018 11:03 PM

Bitcoin enthusiasts are taking this little crash well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 17, 2018 11:07 PM

R55

Bitcoin is pre internet message board tech, literally.

Each iteration of the initial White Paper builds on the theory, and will eventually create a more robust version.

Like encryption, the underlying technology is far more important than Bitcoin itself.

by Anonymousreply 56January 18, 2018 1:37 AM

so what's happening?

I have a hard bitcoin wallet, i haven't even opened it yet. I don't have an account anywhere, can someone send me bitcoin if i have this wallet?

by Anonymousreply 57January 23, 2018 11:12 PM

The government can print money to cover debts. That, in and of itself, is deeply problematic. We will eventually turn this country into North Korea or Venezuela unless the federal reserve is abolished.

by Anonymousreply 58January 24, 2018 12:22 AM

A colleague's wife bought one - just one - cause she is a financial something or other and she thought she should have one and she bought it for $400. We were sitting around talking about everyone's retirement plans when this came up and it seems her one bit coin was worth $14,00 that day. This was maybe a week ago.

by Anonymousreply 59January 24, 2018 2:02 AM

Worth what? How can she spend it or live on it? Retire on it? It's fake money.

by Anonymousreply 60January 25, 2018 8:59 PM

Do you want to make more money????

by Anonymousreply 61January 25, 2018 9:12 PM

You misspelled "money." It's "money" in quotes.

I've only been hearing about bitcoin in spam emails from China, other than here.

by Anonymousreply 62January 25, 2018 9:27 PM

Buy Etherium rather than Bitcoin. More likely to succeed in the long run, and although it's run up a lot, it's not ridiculous. Ehterium is more likely to become accepted anyway.

by Anonymousreply 63January 25, 2018 9:33 PM

R60

The US dollar, British pound, your road, in, and yuan are all fake too.

by Anonymousreply 64January 31, 2018 12:22 AM

YOUR ROAD-EURO

by Anonymousreply 65January 31, 2018 12:23 AM

Bitcoin enthusiasts are so fucking dumb.

by Anonymousreply 66January 31, 2018 12:28 AM

It's under 10,000 right now.

by Anonymousreply 67January 31, 2018 12:29 AM

Also I believe that $500 for coin is more likely, it could conceivably hit $100,000 per fucking coin.

Markets are insane, Especially when the Federal Reserve is pumping billions every day into the economy.

Crazed.

by Anonymousreply 68January 31, 2018 12:41 AM

$8814 as of now.

No interest in selling, though. They will retain historical value, like any two letter .com address, but will be supplanted by a better design soon.

by Anonymousreply 69February 2, 2018 2:49 AM

it's crashing...

by Anonymousreply 70February 2, 2018 8:17 PM

Under 6500 now.

by Anonymousreply 71February 6, 2018 1:05 AM

R71

As markets keep going down, bitcoin might actually stabilize for a while.

The BOJ/ECB/PBOC/FED will be forced to monetize as this correction goes deeper and deeper.

When all your valuations are fake, denoted in fake money, finding the bottom will be very difficult for this market.

Eventually one of the four big central banks will directly monetize and the party will be on once again, for a few quarters, until the orgy of monetary easing turns dollars, euros, yuan and yen into toilet paper quasi simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 72February 6, 2018 2:53 AM

How did your predictions turn out, r72? Let's see...$5,500 is less than $6,500, isn't it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 15, 2018 10:48 PM

Floor has fallen out on Bitcoin. Under 4,5000 now.

by Anonymousreply 74November 20, 2018 12:24 PM

Bitchcoin

by Anonymousreply 75November 20, 2018 12:41 PM

Dead. Ha ha! Suckers!

by Anonymousreply 76November 21, 2018 8:07 PM

From the linked Wired article posted an hour ago:

The current downturn may relate to fractures in the bitcoin community. Last year, a group of bitcoin developers created an alternate version of bitcoin, known as a "hard fork," called Bitcoin Cash, to address technical issues in the original bitcoin. Bitcoin Cash didn't manage to displace the original, but it did gain a number of loyal followers. But last week, Bitcoin Cash saw its own hard fork. That schism doesn’t directly affect the original bitcoin, but the further fragmenting of the community might be scaring investors.

Long term, a possibly more worrying development is a US Department of Justice investigation reported by Bloomberg Tuesday into whether last year's record highs were the result of market manipulation. The investigation follows the publication of a paper by University of Texas professor John Griffin and his doctoral student Amin Shams suggesting another cryptocurrency called tether had been used to stabilize and manipulate the price of bitcoin last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 21, 2018 8:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!