Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alan Alda - great guy!

Hard worker! - Family man!

I've never been able to stand these kinds of all round 'popular guys'. Hated them at school. Hate them now.

& I could never stand his awful pleased with himself grin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127June 22, 2019 1:57 AM

I think he is OK, OP doesn't like him because OP is Russian.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2017 1:04 PM

Because he touched me!

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2017 1:12 PM

He ruined MASH by turning it into some preachy anachronistic soapbox....the show became insufferably unwatchable in it's last years.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2017 1:45 PM

He aged horribly.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2017 1:54 PM

He's 81 for God's sake, R4.

LOVED him in "Same Time Next Year."

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2017 2:02 PM

According to Catherine O'Hara, he's not that great. She just groans when asked about working with him.

There's a chapter in Jackie Cooper's book about his time directing "MASH" and he's not wild about the guy either.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2017 2:03 PM

Wasn't he "difficult to work with?" And rude to fans? I remember something about him in a thread here once...

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2017 2:05 PM

[quote]LOVED him in "Same Time Next Year."

He was his usual smarmy grinning self. It just happened to be a good play and ELLEN BURSTYN was the one who ran with it.

On Broadway she did it with Charles Grodin and although she doesn't say it, I think she would have preferred him to have been in the movie with her. But he wasn't as bankable a 'star'.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2017 2:51 PM

I never cared for Alda. His acting is a little too over-the-top.

Isn't he one of the deplorables?

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2017 2:58 PM

It's amazing how MASH does not hold up at all. Hammy, corny, and preachy.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2017 3:01 PM

How dare you! How very DARE you!

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2017 3:05 PM

Why is Same Time Next Year so hard to find?

It’s never available to stream anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2017 3:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2017 3:26 PM

[quote]Why is Same Time Next Year so hard to find?

Taliking of Charles Grodin, watch Heartbreak Kid instead. It's much better >>

Actually, a lot of the good or OK films of the 70s are hard to find, for some reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2017 4:38 PM

Whose idea were those stupid glasses? What a putz!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2017 4:40 PM

I haven’t discussed feelings this much since we rented the Alan Alda collection...

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2017 4:44 PM

It's not that he's a bad guy or a bad actor, it's that he's impossibly smug.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2017 4:46 PM

Sanctimonious git.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2017 4:48 PM

Didn't Woody Allen use him in a few things to NOT a great effect?

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2017 4:49 PM

The only movie I liked him in was the preposterous WHISPERS IN THE DARK. When he bashes Jill Clayburgh in the face with that wine bottle - that's the real Alan Alda!!!

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2017 4:58 PM

He's the male version of Mariska Hargitay.

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2017 4:58 PM

He was excellent in “Crimes and Misdemeanors”.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2017 5:00 PM

RIP Alan

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2017 5:05 PM

wow! He's REALLY interesting on twitter

[quote]One more thing to worry about: Your kitchen sponge harbors zillions of microbes. Cleaning it could make things worse

[quote]Thought for the day: In a can of cashews, the big nuts rise to the top. I'm just saying.

whadaguy!!

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2017 5:14 PM

Very interesting about Catherine O’Hara, R6 — I’ve never known her to comment negatively on anyone! Would love to learn more about her feelings on Alda.

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2017 5:16 PM

r24, He and Jaclyn Smith should hook up.

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2017 5:16 PM

[quote]He was his usual smarmy grinning self. It just happened to be a good play and ELLEN BURSTYN was the one who ran with it. On Broadway she did it with Charles Grodin and although she doesn't say it, I think she would have preferred him to have been in the movie with her. But he wasn't as bankable a 'star'.

Actually, she does say it. She makes it perfectly clear.

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2017 5:40 PM

Where does she say it?

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2017 5:43 PM

In her book.

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2017 5:48 PM

Saw him and his wife on the street in Manhattan during the MASH heyday. Yes, I am that old. He gave off a vibe that made me think that he was a nasty piece of work. I didn't try to approach him as I was never a fan, but those did he dismissed with sneers.

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2017 5:55 PM

The poor thing got dumped in Wilmington, Delaware (a total hellhole now) with two crazy aunts, so his parents could go on the road with their burlesque act.

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2017 6:04 PM

Gary Burghoff who is no prize himself, despised Alda. From his Twitter feed:

There were 2 Hawkeyes. Donald Sutherland was one. The other was known behind his back as “The turd.” — Gary Burghoff (@Gary_Burghoff) December 21, 2013

Alan Alda wanted his own bathroom. The producers wouldn’t give him one so he used to take dumps in paper bags and leave them around the set — Gary Burghoff (@Gary_Burghoff) December 17, 2013

Alan could dish out pranks but not take it Once someone spiked his drink & wanted to fight the culprit. As if he knows how to throw a punch — Gary Burghoff (@Gary_Burghoff) January 8, 2014

I was once nominated for an award & didnt go to the ceremony because Alan was presenting. It would have been about him. Its always about him — Gary Burghoff (@Gary_Burghoff) December 23, 2013

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2017 6:26 PM

[quote]Alan Alda wanted his own bathroom. The producers wouldn’t give him one so he used to take dumps in paper bags and leave them around the set

OMG!

I wonder if that's actually true.

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2017 6:57 PM

I never liked the way he seemingly never helped his sister Rutanya out. After she did 'Mommie Dearest' she had a little buzz, you would have thought he could've given her a small part in 'The Four Seasons' or a guest spot on 'Mash', but nothing...

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2017 7:20 PM

Even I got a bit part on MASH!

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2017 7:24 PM

He does tend to get mentioned in the "encounters with asshole celebrity" threads.

by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2017 9:04 PM

what they say, R36?

by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2017 9:15 PM

R22 he was. Also Flirting with Disaster.

When he stopped trying to push his likeable Every man act so hard is when I really began to like him as a performer.

He was actually great in all the Woody Allen movies he was in and deserved an Oscar nomination for Crimes & Misdemeanors.

by Anonymousreply 38October 14, 2017 9:15 PM

he is annoying and his voice grates

ellen WAS the only high light in same time next year great movie

even if AA was in it.....

i vote

NO

by Anonymousreply 39October 14, 2017 9:31 PM

Always hated Alan Alda-- his voice, his smarmy smirk, and his alleged "good guy" image, which I thought was total BS. Overrated.

by Anonymousreply 40October 14, 2017 9:35 PM

Can't recall specifically, R37, but there was one encounter where he was addressed by a fan in a store as "Alan", and he insisted they refer to him as "Mr. Alda". Not sure if I have that 100% right, but that was the gist of it. Seemed pompous and entitled.

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2017 9:38 PM

I had a friend who did a Jello commercial with Bill Cosby who insisted he be addressed as "Dr. Cosby." Apparently, he was quite unpleasant overall then (this was in the 1980's, before the rape allegations).

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2017 9:40 PM

He was perfect in CRIMES

and I liked him in MANHATTAN MURDER MYSTERY

by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2017 9:49 PM

Bill Cosby has a PhD??

by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2017 9:55 PM

The Cosby allegations have been in the whispers since the late 60s

I enjoyed Alda in the blacklist.

He seemed to be giving a meta performance based on his reputation

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2017 9:58 PM

I think he has an Ed.D. which was not given as an honorarium; I remember reading or hearing way back that he actually did the class work but not 100%v sure (too lazy to Google)!

by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2017 9:59 PM

He was good in the Allen movies, and "The Four Seasons" is one of my favorite films. Everything else...not so much.

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2017 9:59 PM

I belive the 'Fat Albert' series was Cosby's dissertation (that is not a joke).

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2017 10:24 PM

His best role was playing an asshole in The Aviator.

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2017 10:26 PM

Actually, doesn't the Woody Allen film make a play on his seemingly nice persona?

by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2017 10:45 PM

I've seen him once or twice walking through Bryant park with his wife, a small white haired lady. He's quite tall.

I'm shocked that anyone is taking anything the poison dwarf Gary Burghoff says seriously. A hateful shrimp full of spite for everyone and everything.

I do agree though that the end of M*A*S*H became extremely preachy and PC largely thanks to Alda.

by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2017 11:00 PM

Alan Alda is 6ft 2in or 188 cm

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2017 11:02 PM

Alan Alda‏ Verified account @alanalda Oct 10

I worry that when predators like Weinstein go away, the whole web of obstacles for women in business remains. Still lots of work to be done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2017 11:02 PM

Really, Alan? You mean obstacles like having a famous brother who won't throw a bone to his struggling sister even after she plays Joan Crawford's devoted servant in an iconic film?

by Anonymousreply 54October 14, 2017 11:08 PM

He was surprisingly good in The Mephisto Waltz.

by Anonymousreply 55October 14, 2017 11:15 PM

He makes a great villain, e.g,, the Aviator or the Blacklist.

by Anonymousreply 56October 14, 2017 11:16 PM

He sucks.

by Anonymousreply 57October 15, 2017 12:10 AM

Agree with him being good in The Blacklist. He was genuinely scary/creepy in the part. I hated him in the execrable Sweet Liberty so much it was years before I could watch anything with him again. He co starred with Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins, Michelle Pfeiffer and an ancient Lillian Gish and he was a wet rag compared to any of them.

by Anonymousreply 58October 15, 2017 12:22 AM

I never liked him as an actor until he started plying "against type". Bob Gallo in "And the Band Played On" and that jerk in "Crimes and Misdemeanors". I agree he was annoying in "Same Time, Next Year". Burstyn was great, Griffin would have made it much better.

by Anonymousreply 59October 15, 2017 12:27 AM

Meryl Streep almost broke his penis in a movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 15, 2017 12:57 AM

R51, And Mike Farrell.

by Anonymousreply 61October 15, 2017 1:04 AM

That leaving bags of shit around the set because they wouldn't supply him with a john, is both hilarious and ridiculous in equal measure.

Even a big star like Alda would have been fired for such a thing.

Even Elizabeth Taylor would have been fired for such a crime.

and the whole world would have heard about it.

by Anonymousreply 62October 15, 2017 1:08 AM

Wasn't Mash supposed to be set in the 1950s?

Who had hair like this in the 50s? Least of all in the army.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 15, 2017 1:19 AM

[quote]The only movie I liked him in was the preposterous WHISPERS IN THE DARK. When he bashes Jill Clayburgh in the face with that wine bottle - that's the real Alan Alda!!!

ITA, that scene was so creepy---the way he's casually talking amiably to everyone at the table, and then he just smashes her in the face. He was such an over the top good guy in the movie that the scene comes as a shock. It's the turning point when you realize he's a psychopath. I don't remember much else about that movie, but that scene stayed with me because I did wonder if it mirrored who he was in real life. A good guy facade, but a creep underneath.

by Anonymousreply 64October 15, 2017 1:53 AM

Alan Alda had a younger half brother named Antony. He was Robert Alda's son by his second wife. Antoy Alda was born in France I believe and raised in Italy. He came to the US at age 14 and was about 20 years younger than Alan.

He was a pretty good actor, spoke Italian and French fluently, appeared on Soaps, etc. Also never got a hand up from Alan. Antony Alda died at about age 50 of alcoholism.

There are videos devoted to him on youtube. There are columns written for MSM, eulogizing him. And nothing I have ever found refers to Alan Alda's acknowledging even his very existence. I just thought that was so odd. Everyone who ever met Antony Alda apparently loved him. And yet, Alan Alda? Not a word. I just think that speaks volumes.

Who, by the way, is Rutanya Alda?

by Anonymousreply 65October 15, 2017 1:58 AM

He's lives near me and he is a nice person. One of my older neighbors used to work at house parties and galas and said he was the nicest and most generous person she ever worked for. Said he tipped the catering crew more than they got paid by the company.

by Anonymousreply 66October 15, 2017 2:12 AM

R66 = Alan's agent

by Anonymousreply 67October 15, 2017 3:43 PM

His daughter Beatrice, on the right in the photo, is married to Jennifer Brooke. They produced the documentary Out Late, about five individuals who came out after the age of fifty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 15, 2017 6:11 PM

Blind Gossip has an item about him right now.

by Anonymousreply 69June 16, 2019 5:50 AM

Rutanya is not related.

by Anonymousreply 70June 16, 2019 8:37 AM

He was great in The West Wing.

by Anonymousreply 71June 16, 2019 11:40 AM

What's the Blind Gossip item?

by Anonymousreply 72June 16, 2019 11:40 AM

[quote]I'm shocked that anyone is taking anything the poison dwarf Gary Burghoff says seriously. A hateful shrimp full of spite for everyone and everything.

Say it ain’t so! Eight-year-old me worshipped Radar.

by Anonymousreply 73June 16, 2019 11:58 AM

Here he is with Dame Edna, He's a good sport, Dame Edna's a genius!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 16, 2019 12:24 PM

I'm a fan but can see why he turns some people off. To dispel one piece of misinformation in this thread -- he's definitely not a deplorable. Has always been an outspoken liberal. Gary Burghoff on the other hand is a big right winger. I assume they didn't get along on MASH because they were both prima donnas.

I agree with others who said his career re-flourished later on when he starting playing villains and assholes. He's had the kind of career that any actor would want - working steadily in interesting roles over five decades, plus the chance to write, direct, etc.

I've recently been rewatching some of the later seasons of MASH. It's true many are overly preachy, although there's still plenty of good writing and acting. David Ogden Stiers is a constant highlight, as is Bill Christopher. But Alda seems bored in a lot of those episodes, unless he's on his soapbox.

by Anonymousreply 75June 16, 2019 12:45 PM

Doesn't he have Parkinson's?

by Anonymousreply 76June 16, 2019 12:47 PM

They're still showing reruns of MASH on TV. Looks like MASH shelf up almost as well as that poor kid and his Seinfeld show.

by Anonymousreply 77June 16, 2019 12:53 PM

About 35 years ago I saw Alan Alda in NYC. He was walking with his arm around the shoulder of a younger girl (his daughter?) and staring straight ahead. Behind him were two young women literally screaming, "OH MY GOD IT'S HAWKEYE!!!"

by Anonymousreply 78June 16, 2019 12:56 PM

[quote] The only movie I liked him in was the preposterous WHISPERS IN THE DARK. When he bashes Jill Clayburgh in the face with that wine bottle - that's the real Alan Alda!!!

[quote] TA, that scene was so creepy---the way he's casually talking amiably to everyone at the table, and then he just smashes her in the face. He was such an over the top good guy in the movie that the scene comes as a shock. It's the turning point when you realize he's a psychopath. I don't remember much else about that movie, but that scene stayed with me because I did wonder if it mirrored who he was in real life. A good guy facade, but a creep underneath.

So because he is an accomplished actor, you believed he was, in fact, just like the character he was playing.

It is a performance and the reason we have this asshole in the WH is that people can't distinguish a performance from reality.

Its called acting for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 79June 16, 2019 1:25 PM

Well?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 16, 2019 1:41 PM

There is more queer envy on this thread than any thread before.

by Anonymousreply 81June 16, 2019 1:45 PM

How so?

by Anonymousreply 82June 16, 2019 1:47 PM

Alan is supposed to be well hung.

by Anonymousreply 83June 16, 2019 1:47 PM

No one here is going to post about his father??

Robert Alda (born Alphonos Giuseppe Giovanni Roberto D'Abruzzo) was an incredibly dashing and charismatic actor on Broadway and created the role of Sky Masterson in GUYS AND DOLLS. He also starred as George Gershwin in the Hollywood bio-pic RHAPSODY IN BLUE.

by Anonymousreply 84June 16, 2019 1:52 PM

Alan Alda hasn't been a celebrity for like 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 85June 16, 2019 2:27 PM

I wish I had one tenth of his money.

by Anonymousreply 86June 16, 2019 2:47 PM

I wish I had a tenth of his penis.

by Anonymousreply 87June 16, 2019 3:07 PM

[quote] According to Catherine O'Hara, he's not that great. She just groans when asked about working with him.

More about this, please.

by Anonymousreply 88June 16, 2019 4:34 PM

How much more could there be if she won't discuss it?

by Anonymousreply 89June 16, 2019 7:33 PM

He was a real fucker!

by Anonymousreply 90June 16, 2019 9:45 PM

He's good friends with Joy Behar so I doubt his a deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 91June 16, 2019 9:57 PM

He was a psycho in "To Kill a Clown"

Isn't he well known to be a liberal?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 16, 2019 10:19 PM

All the stars from MASH seem insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 93June 16, 2019 11:26 PM

I've met him twice and he's a complete asshole.

by Anonymousreply 94June 16, 2019 11:41 PM

I'd give him a break and wonder if the daily routine of doing MASH and trying to maintain a certain standard just wore him down and brought out his unpleasantness?

He's was a very well-respected Broadway actor throughout the 1960s starring in The Apple Tree with Barbara Harris (I saw that one and he was wonderful) and The Owl and the Pussycat with Diana Sands (and made into a mediocre film with Barbra Streisand & George Segal), among other credits.

by Anonymousreply 95June 17, 2019 1:34 AM

J saw him in Bryant Park a few years ago, strolling with his white haired little wife. He’s extremely tall and really stands out in a crowd. I didn’t catch any “vibe” from him.

by Anonymousreply 96June 17, 2019 1:45 AM

According to Blind Gossip, he won't allow people working in stores to look at him or address him. One of THOSE.

by Anonymousreply 97June 17, 2019 1:53 AM

How the hell does Alda prevent people working in stores from looking at him? That assertion makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 98June 17, 2019 2:24 AM

He’s ok, but really overrated as a science communicator. He supports training for scientists to communicate their research and there is a center for science communication named for him, but he has no actual training in science. To nonscientists, he seems brilliant, yet he is more a narrator than actual science writer or great thinker. It’s irritating that star struck fans think he’s like Carl Sagan, but that’s not his fault. He’s seems more fortunate than talented.

by Anonymousreply 99June 17, 2019 2:54 AM

To Kill a Clown is a weird, great movie. With Blythe Danner!

by Anonymousreply 100June 17, 2019 3:09 AM

I thought everyone in NY AND Hollywood found him smug, overbearing and insufferable? I've heard almost nothing nice about him.

by Anonymousreply 101June 17, 2019 3:10 AM

My God he's pompous in this interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 17, 2019 5:18 AM

He has a podcast, and earlier this year he hosted a MASH reunion, with Swit, Farr, Burghoff, and Farrell. All seemed to get along just fine. A lot of reminiscing about the MASH production, and co-stars now gone. I wasn't the biggest MASH fan - just a kid when it first aired, and never got into the reruns - but found it interesting to hear their stories all the same.

by Anonymousreply 103June 17, 2019 8:03 AM

Re The Happy Reunion.

Assuming they all got paid, it is called acting

by Anonymousreply 104June 17, 2019 12:28 PM

Gwen Verdon was on Mash but they didn't cover it on Fosse / Verdon

by Anonymousreply 105June 17, 2019 9:45 PM

I just watched this horrible pre-MASH movie he starred in with Marlo Thomas called "Jenny". It was from 1970, so they talk about "good vibes" and their signs and Jean-Luc Godard. And there's a terrible theme song. I guess Marlo Thomas's performance was marginally worse than Alda's, but if you're super bored, get high, watch it, and let me know what you think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 18, 2019 12:36 AM

Speaking of bizarre Alan Alda movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 18, 2019 12:45 AM

I hate his voice.

by Anonymousreply 108June 18, 2019 2:21 AM

He's always reminded me of Phil Donahue for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 109June 18, 2019 2:25 AM

Hi dad had the best voice, which Alan failed to inherit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110June 18, 2019 2:25 AM

He said his mother was mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 111June 18, 2019 2:57 AM

Op, if you stop channeling your self-hatred into these weird and pointless rants about the imaginary faults of people you know nothing about you might live a happier life.

by Anonymousreply 112June 18, 2019 3:00 AM

He tried to foist a very unattractive daughter on us via some sitcom pilot.

by Anonymousreply 113June 18, 2019 3:17 AM

Loved The Mephisto Waltz though.

by Anonymousreply 114June 18, 2019 3:18 AM

Shouldn't he have a Kennedy Center Honor by now?

by Anonymousreply 115June 18, 2019 3:54 AM

It was more important to get LL Cool J honored before he died.

by Anonymousreply 116June 18, 2019 12:29 PM

He was always annoying, a sanctimonious blowhard.

by Anonymousreply 117June 18, 2019 12:32 PM

He had a tough childhood.

by Anonymousreply 118June 19, 2019 1:04 AM

Alan Alda is the worst. I've hated him since I was a young boy, rushing to switch the channel whenever a MASH rerun aired.

by Anonymousreply 119June 19, 2019 1:35 AM

He's talented. But he seemed very full of himself, with no self awareness, on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast.

by Anonymousreply 120June 19, 2019 1:40 AM

I’ll always kind of love him for doing a cartwheel when he was going to accept an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 121June 19, 2019 6:19 PM

He is fearless.

by Anonymousreply 122June 19, 2019 9:41 PM

R103, seriously? What happened to Burghoff's endless vendetta against Alda?

by Anonymousreply 123June 21, 2019 8:53 PM

Bygones.

by Anonymousreply 124June 22, 2019 12:05 AM

I never hated him but totally get the smug, sanctimonious vibe he threw off in the '70s. Wasn't he in Marlo's "Free to Be" thing? He was overall like every woman of that era's ex-husband.

He sat in the row behind us at a show in NY last year. He's definitely 6'2. There was a crazed fan/vague acquaintance in the row behind him, who demanded his attention during intermission and the end of the play.

by Anonymousreply 125June 22, 2019 1:09 AM

He was in the first class cabin on a flight I took a few years ago. Was friendly and charming to all around.

by Anonymousreply 126June 22, 2019 1:53 AM

Alan Alda.

by Anonymousreply 127June 22, 2019 1:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!