Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Strike Back: Chris Kimball Returns

Chris Kimball was booted from America's Test Kitchen, but returns with "Christopher Kimball's Milk Street Television."

I guess they settled the lawsuit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 31, 2019 2:57 AM

Who exactly asked for this?

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2017 11:32 PM

This guy looks like a smug bastard and the ATK people describe him as a total nightmare. I hope he fails and ends up as some sous chef for Rachel Ray!

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2017 11:40 PM

Yeah he's a dick but he's edited some really popular cooking mags.

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2017 11:43 PM

I saw an episode of his show. He hovers over his cooks, but isn't a dick to them like he'd be on ATK.

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2017 2:26 AM

Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2017 2:30 AM

He hates spices, which is so odd.

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2017 2:37 AM

He’s a great visionary. His persona on ATK, is just that....a persona that he developed for television.

I look forward to seeing his new venture.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2017 2:40 AM

Today, his cook showed an interesting way to do pie crusts that took out all the guesswork about how much water to add -- you measure out 3 Tbsp water and mix with 2 tsp cornstarch and then freeze into a gel (about 20 minutes). You then add this to 2 cups and 2 tbsp flour in a food processor and cut it in. Then you cut in your two sticks of butter and process until it comes together. The water/cornstarch adds the right amount of moisture each time.

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2017 2:50 AM

We discussed the new show a bit on one of the ATK threads here.

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2017 4:16 AM

We talked about his radio show -- I was surprised today when I bumped into the new TV show...

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2017 6:34 AM

I commented about the TV show. I've only seen one episode -- the one with "central Mexico" as its theme.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2017 5:04 PM

But will he make dump cakes?

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2017 5:25 PM

Not if he expects to live!

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2017 5:37 PM

This week's show also showed that in Europe, bakers tend to under mix and under whip and it makes for fluffier baked goods.

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2017 2:09 AM

Has he never heard of dermabrasion?

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2017 2:35 AM

He may be pretentious, but his recipes really work and are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2017 2:37 AM

He’s old, straight and rich R15. Guys like that have other concerns than dermabrasion.

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2017 2:47 AM

I can't stand that after he left ATK they gave Bridget and Julia makeovers and tried to make them into a comical cooking duo. It seems so forced.

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2017 2:47 AM

I am watching Cook's Country, the other show CK did with ATK and it is the same show as ATK except in a different place.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2017 6:55 PM

Why does he hate spicy food?

Is it an affectation?

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2017 8:00 PM

I don’t like him. He’s fucking homely! And an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2017 8:12 PM

How many women did he sexually harass at his old job?

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2017 9:00 PM

Today, we learned how to make Thai BBQ chicken in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2017 12:19 AM

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2017 1:17 AM

This show finally showed up on my PBS station. It's a remake of America's Test Kitchen. The big difference is there is some emphasis on non-white people and non-white food. R20, Christopher Kimball has typical WASP tastes, which don't include spicy food or dusky skin tones. Black pepper and cinnamon were the spiciest things in the kitchens of most of the U.S. until about 30 years ago.

My concern is there is a saturation of similar cooking shows on PBS, and somebody will have to leave the network, or sadly, get canceled.

by Anonymousreply 25January 13, 2018 11:28 PM

You can just look at him and tell he’s got a #metoo article coming.

by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2018 12:33 AM

I like his shows. But he always seems angry about something. Kinda weird.

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2018 1:33 AM

I have followed his Milk Street product since its outset; I received email published recipes and received complimentary issues of the first two print copies of the magazine as a result. I've made two of the few recipes from both issues of the magazine that appealed to me, and the resounding response is meh. I am a good cook so it isn't a matter of fucking up the recipes or recipes that somehow fuck up the cook's efforts - the overall flavors were meh. I understand that he's shooting for a potentially different demographic and distinguishing his new culinary venture as far removed from CC and ATK as possible, but it just falls flat, in my humble opinion. The Milk Street PR marketing team is constantly sending out pleas to subscribe; it seems more frantic than the usual marketing hype. I'd be curious to know how the new venture is doing in the marketplace but I am not interested enough to google it.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2018 1:25 PM

He looks too much like Barney Fife. Fuck hum.

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2018 1:30 PM

Is he cut?

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2018 1:36 PM

The only thing appealing about this new show is Matthew Card.

I'm glad that Bridget and Julia seem to have settled better into their ATK roles. They have lots of new appealing cast members, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2018 1:37 PM

I want that Dan Souza inside me, deeply.

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2018 1:39 PM

Matthew Card and Dan Souza. Tag Team! Yes!

by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2018 1:40 PM

I read one issue of the Milk Street Magazine. It was boring. And it was half the size of Cooks Illustrated Magazine

by Anonymousreply 34January 15, 2018 4:22 PM

I watched a bit of the Milk Street show.

First, that title is awful. No one wants a visual of a street of milk, whether or not 'milk' is a euphemism.

Kimball and his twinky, fey chef were prepping the food about 2 feet away from a live audience. Kimball was obviously there to make the crowd laugh but his "jokes" were mostly nasty comments about the chef's techniques. At one point, the chef made a nasty comment back and Kimball pretended to play along but you could tell that he was surprised by the insolence. The audience just laughed and laughed like sheep on command.

Awful. I lasted about 10 minutes before I changed the channel. Kimball is NOT the star of any show, the cooking is. Why doesn't he understand that?

by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2018 4:44 PM

Interesting tidbits in the lawsuit's complaint against him. He is on his third marriage to his former assistant, a woman who is half his age, which seems to be where the problems started. I agree a #METOO would be inevitable except he married her. His ex-wife got half of his ownership interest in ATK, good for her. I think this new venture is going to fail. He needs to hang it up; no one wants to see him in this.

by Anonymousreply 36January 15, 2018 5:29 PM

R35 The show is based at 177 Milk Street in Boston. They record the tv and radio shows there, it's the location of their cooking school and production offices. I don't disagree with you about the title but locally people know what the title refers to - a downtown Boston location in the financial district famous for being one of Boston's earliest highways. Yes, a pretentious choice for his product name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 15, 2018 5:47 PM

I like him, but he really did dick ATK and Cook's Illustrated over. How he can win the lawsuit, I have no idea. Even though the flavors he is now embracing are expanded, the tone, tenor, and model of his new podcast, tv show, and subscription based magazine/book model clearly mimics ATK/CI. I can't even get ATK podcast on iTunes anymore because of him. I wish I knew the dirt behind the falling out.

by Anonymousreply 38January 15, 2018 6:23 PM

r36 Not only is his current wife his former assistant, wife #2 was originally his assistant before she was promoted to wife. Gives a whole new meaning to "up or out" promotion environment.

by Anonymousreply 39January 15, 2018 6:25 PM

Matthew Card pings to high heaven, but he keeps mentioning his kids and he has a wedding ring. Of course he could be married to another man, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 40January 16, 2018 1:06 AM

Count me as one of the many who just assumed Ms. Kimball is a FOD.

by Anonymousreply 41January 16, 2018 1:22 AM

Did he get his gray teeth fixed for this new show?

by Anonymousreply 42January 16, 2018 1:49 PM

He always seems to have such a bad attitude- very unpleasant to watch. Plus everything they made on that damn show had at least 30 different steps.

by Anonymousreply 43January 16, 2018 2:10 PM

He's such an asshole. I caught two minutes of his Milk Street tv the other day. He is so uncreative and incapable of carrying a show on his own, he had to recreate the ATK format. He was sniping at the chef the other day, like he used to do on ATK, except he was even pissier than before.

by Anonymousreply 44January 16, 2018 2:21 PM

Watched 3 minutes of Milk St. That was enough. Never again. I hate this asshole. And he’s so fugly!

by Anonymousreply 45January 16, 2018 2:29 PM

Dr. Z might be able to help him with that complexion.

by Anonymousreply 46January 16, 2018 2:47 PM

Watching one time was enough for me. The show sucks. Sadly, though ATK and CC suck a little more without him. The two women together aren't as good. I think I most hate the failed attempt at humor between the women.

by Anonymousreply 47January 16, 2018 2:53 PM

I like Bridget and the other lady whose name I can never remember. I don't know if they can carry the show on their own, but I like them. I like Chris Kimball's persnickety nature too. I don't know how to feel about that he got Sara Moulton to appear on his podcast - I love her! I feel like a child of divorce, I can't choose between ATK and Milk Street. It was definitely a "dick move" by Christopher Kimball though.

by Anonymousreply 48January 16, 2018 4:12 PM

I wonder if he knew Mr Rodgers! There all on the same channel.

by Anonymousreply 49January 16, 2018 4:20 PM

The kitchen set for "Milk Street" is blindingly white. Is Kimball trying to tell us something?

by Anonymousreply 50January 16, 2018 7:30 PM

I see it as being oppressively bland, much like Kimball himself.

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2018 2:19 AM

Picture this...

[quote] When I sat beside him at C.I.'s Tuesday-morning editorial meeting, Kimball was shod in fire-engine red Italian oxfords and had draped a long scarf of some kind of really good angora-type fabric around his shoulders

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 18, 2018 2:34 AM

Kimball is a dick, but that NY Times article I'd a gas.

by Anonymousreply 53January 18, 2018 4:05 PM

Today I found out Matthew Card has a wife. "matthew card husband" was a suggested search, though. I will settle for Dan.

by Anonymousreply 54January 28, 2018 10:19 PM

I don't want to live in a world where Matthew Card is straight.

by Anonymousreply 55January 29, 2018 1:23 AM

Why exactly did he leave ATK? I never heard the details. I stayed at the Cooks Country house in Vt a couple of years ago. It's beautiful. They don't shoot there this year I guess because CK owns it.

by Anonymousreply 56January 29, 2018 1:32 AM

That Dan Souza can cum inside me, anytime.

by Anonymousreply 57January 29, 2018 12:35 PM

I like watching the old episodes where the girls weren't fat.

by Anonymousreply 58January 29, 2018 12:44 PM

I think ATK and Cook's Country are way more entertaining since Kimball departed. Milk Street is the most boring cooking show on PBS. He feigns a rapport with all of the cooks on the show but it just doesn't ring true.

by Anonymousreply 59January 29, 2018 1:03 PM

Dan Souza is way cute...bet he's hairy in all the right places! Matthew Card is married with 2 kids. ATK is better than that Milk Street shit...and Mr. Kimball looks like a dead corpse...no color.

by Anonymousreply 60March 29, 2019 8:05 AM

[quote]Mr. Kimball looks like a dead corpse

As opposed to a LIVE corpse?

by Anonymousreply 61March 30, 2019 1:37 AM

Cook's Country was nominated for a daytime Emmy. Take that, Kimball.

by Anonymousreply 62March 31, 2019 2:46 AM

the new show sucks. Weird dishes that no one would want to make and I miss the taste testing and product reviews. I bought lots of good kitchen things based on ATK product reviews over the years.

by Anonymousreply 63March 31, 2019 2:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!