Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why didn’t JC Chasez become the breakout star after N Sync?

Justin Timberlake’s voice isn’t better. Was it because of gay rumors? I honestly though JC was going to become a big star.

by Anonymousreply 181February 5, 2021 1:13 AM

OP = JC Chasez

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2017 1:37 AM

He would have if his solo music wasn't complete and utter shit... timberlake on the other hand worked with great producers and had some huge hits.

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2017 1:39 AM

Yeah but why didn’t he get the good producers? Like from the get-go it seems like Justin and JC were on equal footing. Actually Justin’s voice was a little nasal until he got his Michael Jackson clone vocals down pat. JC’s vocals were very earnest and pleading. I don’t think he would have made R&B necessarily but he had the voice for ballads. I guess the era of Richard Marx type balladeers is over though, everything on Top 40 radio now is geared towards dance.

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2017 1:50 AM

Justin is better looking and more alpha.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2017 1:54 AM

remember when Justin used to talk "black"

what a nut bag.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2017 1:58 AM

Justin is more alpha.

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2017 2:03 AM

His solo CD did not capitalize on his beautiful voice.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2017 2:05 AM

What does that mean more alpha?

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2017 2:05 AM

I guess JC took a risk but his music was just crap and he paid for it.. his song all day long I dream about sex lol is possibly the worst song ever made.

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2017 2:07 AM

R8 more confident. Sure of himself. Knows who he is, what he has, and how to use it.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2017 2:12 AM

Ugh I just listened to a few of JC’s solo tracks, I don’t think the producers knew what to do with him. They certainly weren’t showcasing his voice. Sad!

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2017 2:19 AM

JC thought he was a writer and producer but his music was horrible. Like 3rd rate Prince wanna be. Justine was smart enough to know he needed talented writers and producers.

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2017 2:20 AM

No way, JC was/is waaay sexier than any of the rest. Que bello. Can't believe they got away with outfits like that. Very earring fun Ken doll! All the better for an early aughts gayling. What he lacked in talent he could make up for in looks. Could be in a lifetime movie like Dean Cain, gameshow host a la Mario Lopez, Hollywood Game Night like Nick Lachey, do reunion tours, I love the 90s mtv type show commentator, Christmas televised event singer, cameo in comedy movie, spokesperson for some product, do exercise videos, write a book, have short- lived reality show based on finding date a la Baio, go on Howard Stern, help a cause like Laurie Metcalfe or Alyssa Milano, release top notch instagram photos, the list goes on an on. He's hawt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2017 2:23 AM

Nuff said, hot hot hot like Jonathan Rhys and Harry Connick, beautiful lips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2017 2:27 AM

Met them both once. JC was way more handsome. Like breathtaking. Justin is taller though.

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2017 2:43 AM

Op, as a young teen, I was in love with JC. I'd watch him on the Mickey Mouse Club after school and I remember my heart fluttering when he had a solo and especially when he did a slow song. He was so dreamy!

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2017 2:43 AM

R16 YES!!! in later years his beauty did not translate to TV and pictures. He was GORGEOUS in person.

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2017 2:45 AM

hahaha [r1] idk y it is so funny but it is

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2017 2:46 AM

JC always reminded me of 1) Frankenstein or 2) Jack Macfarland.

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2017 2:49 AM

I think it is because nobody could figure out how to pronounce his last name. Lachey was bad enough.

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2017 2:53 AM

I saw JC in person at Phipps Plaza in Atlanta about a decade ago. Pictures don't do him justice, he's absolutely gorgeous in person. Beautiful skin, and piercing blue eyes. He was in the food court minding his business, so I did not approach him, but people were staring at him in awe.

As for the OP's question, Justin and his people had the wisdom and sense to hire the right producers for his sound. JC didn't, the end. Timbaland and The Neptunes were some of the hottest producers in the early 2000s, and JT already laid the groundwork for his cultural appropriation by speaking in a "blaccent," and collaborating with Janet Jackson (before Nipplegate) and getting Pharrell/The Neptunes to produce a few NSync songs. It also didn't hurt that most of JT's first solo album consisted of songs Pharrell originally intended for Michael Jackson to sing - "Rock Your Body," in particular. JT was in the right place, right time, and captured that lightning in a bottle. He also seems to have more of a personality than JC that works for a pop career. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if JT or someone from his record company sabotaged JC's solo career efforts by keeping him from finding the right producers for his voice, and the record company probably wasn't as willing to shell out money for JC's career since it seemed JT was destined for solo success.

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2017 3:01 AM

Nsync's last album was also used to position Justin for a solo career. Before that, Justin and JC had shared vocals, but on the last album, especially in the videos, Justin was definitely the lead singer of Nsync. On top of that, the record company gave him a huge media push to launch his album, with "JC also has one" tacked on as an afterthought.

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2017 10:08 AM

JC was the hottest. Hands down. And now he's probably the only hot one left.

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2017 11:32 AM

No personality.

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2017 11:33 AM

JT is a decent actor and got exposure in a lot of movies.

DId JC ever even DO a movie? He doesn't strike me as a decent actor.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2017 11:41 AM

I think JC’s vocals were showcased nicely in the “This I Promise You” video, which was late era for them. His verses are sang much nicer than Justin’s, there’s a certain pleading to them which is touching. It’s sugary dreck, but it was effective and he sure looked gorgeous.

I guess there’s a future in judging competition reality shows, but that’s a far fall from the glory days of N Sync and certainly nothing like the exposure JT gets from even a short SNL visit. Who knows, maybe he’s loaded from the N Sync days and never needs to worry about making another penny.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2017 12:35 PM

Last thing i saw him in he was a judge on some mtv dance show He really has NO hustle he should be bigger than he is.

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2017 1:00 PM

He’s ugly?

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2017 1:05 PM

I thought he was cute when younger. He’s getting a little tight looking in the face now but then so is Justin. They start that Botox shit early now.

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2017 2:25 PM

At N Sync's peak, Justin was the youngest member and dating Britney Spears, the biggest female star at the time. He got the most attention from the press and the public, so was poised to be the breakout star of the group.

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2017 3:21 PM

NSYNC was Justin Timberlake's "band," and he was always the star of it. Ringo, John and George may have had a hit now and then but the Beatles was always about Paul, no matter how you slice it, he was the "star" of the group.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2017 3:33 PM

R31 = the Justinbot

John Lennon only had a hit now and then with the Beatles and it was all Paul’s band? Oh my sides!

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2017 6:18 PM

R31 Putting N Sync in the same league as The Beatles is laughable. And Ringo before John?! LOLLLLLLLLLLL

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2017 6:34 PM

Just discovered a goldmine of JC demos on YT and there are a lot of jams in the stack. Some go harder than his official releases and could have dropped as singles (JT whomst?). A few were clearly meant for a fourth 'NYSNC album for the winter of '02 or '03, had they not broken up so soon. Was he writing for Jive even as Justin had a foot out the door?

Best cuts so far imo: 'She's The Max', 'Slept with my Best Friend', 'Drop The Ball', 'Bump' & 'Right There'. 'She's The Max' is the best - addictive, loopy-sexy in a Ragga kinda way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2017 11:22 PM

Any of 'em ballads? That was really missing from his solo CD.

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2017 11:25 PM

Everyone complaining about his sound and how he's 'a Prince wannabe' clearly don't know a hot dance track when it hits them. JC commits to it (sexually) like JT never does.

If JC got de-pushed or didn't catch fire, that's not his fault. It's not like he didn't have the goods. Look into the history of how his career was mismanaged by Jive....

Btw can the hipster pop-snobs at R33 and elsewhere kindly fuck off? No-one cares. Just admit it, you hate anything younger & sexier than the year 1969.

by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2017 11:26 PM

[quote] DId JC ever even DO a movie? He doesn't strike me as a decent actor.

He had a hilarious & charming 20-second cameo along with Joey Fatone as pizzaboys in the sleazy sex-comedy LONGSHOT (2001).

It never gets mentioned anymore as Lou Pearlman's film company PearlCam produced it (he's even credited as a screenwriter, seriously). 'NSYNC, LFO & O-TOWN were meant to contribute songs the soundtrack but withheld their songs, as the movie flopped hard due to limited release (in European theaters only, and on the Disney Channel in America).

Here's the synopsis, it sounds so grimy:

[quote] Alex Taylor lives in L.A. with his older brother, Jack, who works as a personal fitness trainer and sometime gigolo. Alex's classmates begin to harass him after he misses the game-winning shot at the end of one of his high school's basketball games. Meanwhile, Laszlo Pryce, a rich and corrupt businessman, discovers Jack's affair with his wife, Mitzi. Laszlo threatens to kill Jack and Alex unless Jack travels to New York City to seduce a widower named Rachel Montgomery....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2017 11:36 PM

Justin's acting sucks R25, his acting is very "tryhard". JC's acting wasn't half bad on the Mickey Mouse Club, but I don't think he could've made it a career out of it.

Has JC ever tried for Broadway? He could've succeeded there with his singing and dancing skills.

by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2017 11:52 PM

I said 3rd rate Prince not Prince wanna be.

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2017 12:10 AM

He should have done ballads instead of trying to be some weird artsy oversexed rocker thing. I don't know. All day long I think about sex? Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2017 12:42 AM

Justin was more alpha.

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2017 3:11 AM

At the time, 'tweens' weren't interested in JC, they were interested in JT. That's why.

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2017 3:15 AM

he DID try broadway with Jesus Christ Superstar, but it was cancelled while the production was in rehearsals. he has the worst luck.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2017 3:53 AM

Like Mia Farrow in Radio Days!

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2017 4:25 AM

He should try dancing with the "stars" or anyhing to stay in the public eye,he would easily win.

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2017 4:42 AM

R23 look up their photographs from LIFE (at the Nadir of their career as a group), they illustrate your point perfectly. JC looks gorgeous in them, the rest unremarkable.

Though Joey was acceptably cute then (c.2002?), and now or even at his beariest is more physically attractive than La Justine. Perhaps a good heart will bless a person with a good face to match.

by Anonymousreply 46October 12, 2017 10:36 AM

Joey is the most ‘alpha’ LOOKING of all those guys, whatever the alpha troll means by that. He’s big, butch, hairy, and macho. Justin always looked weak and fey. Even now Justin is physically unremarkable. Despite that, I really enjoyed most of Justin’s solo output over the years. Except for “Can’t Stop the Feeling!” which sounds exactly like what it is, a soundtrack song for an animated kids movie.

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2017 11:43 AM

Britney ever hit that?

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2017 4:00 PM

Right around 2001, I came across a magazine article about NSYNC and I discovered JC for the first time. The article may have been about him. Justin and NSYNC were already on my radar, but JC was not. At all. There were numerous pics. He was so amazingly stunning I was beside myself and transfixed by what I was looking at. Where had this beautiful boy been that I didn't know anything about? I was instantly smitten and sat there pouring over his pics and ruminating for the longest time over why he wan't the more popular one.

Yes, ok, i was high from a few bumps of crystal, but still!

by Anonymousreply 49October 12, 2017 11:42 PM

We know that JC is gay and now it's obvious he's made his way to DL!!!

by Anonymousreply 50October 13, 2017 12:40 AM

there is NO evidence he is gay!!!!

by Anonymousreply 51October 13, 2017 2:58 AM

R51 - gurl, bye!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 13, 2017 11:23 AM

R25 has not yet seen JC's cameo in the movie Opening Night. It has everything: JC in a robe; Topher Grace, exasperated; a gay misunderstanding; a shoutout to Lance Bass and a dig at Justin (JC is always so kind talking about Lance, it would be cool to hear about their friendship in detail).

And wasn't JC in a small part in the movie Drumline? He definitely did the song 'Blowin' Me Up' for the soundtrack but iirc he appeared in the film as a drummer too. And was in an episode of Ghost Hunters, to add to his already starry resume (MMC!).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 13, 2017 11:39 AM

[quote] Joey is the most ‘alpha’ LOOKING of all those guys, whatever the alpha troll means by that. He’s big, butch, hairy, and macho.

That's what made Joey stand out, given fashion at the time for skinny fey-twink boybanders. With this in mind it's surprising he was let into such an image-conscious pop-group at all, but his presence turned out to be a boon for 'NSYNC as his cuddly confident persona was catnip to women. You'd think a jovial hounddog looking like Joey did would intimidate teenage girls conditioned to adore femmes, guess not.

The man could also sing, although you'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise as his voice was so often overshadowed like Lance's. JC/Joey/Lance are an excellent vocal trio.

by Anonymousreply 54October 13, 2017 6:29 PM

Joey was the fat one. It was even his last name. Joey Fat One.

by Anonymousreply 55October 13, 2017 10:54 PM

I'm gonna guess JC was the one who had to take Pearlman's loads.

by Anonymousreply 56October 13, 2017 11:02 PM

r53 Why didn't Topher Grace become the breakout star after That '70s Show?

by Anonymousreply 57October 13, 2017 11:38 PM

The real mystery about Nsync is wondering what the hell Chris Kirkpatrick was doing there. He wasn't cute AND couldn't sing.

by Anonymousreply 58October 13, 2017 11:41 PM

I think it had to have been poor JC, R56.

by Anonymousreply 59October 13, 2017 11:46 PM

Having to bend over for Pearlman probably messed them up big time by the time they got away from him.

by Anonymousreply 60October 13, 2017 11:57 PM

Didn't Kirkpatrick put the whole group together?

by Anonymousreply 61October 14, 2017 2:17 AM

Kirkpatrick, chasez and Timberlake shared lead vocals on their first album.

by Anonymousreply 62October 14, 2017 3:34 AM

JC was adorable in the movie with Tohper

by Anonymousreply 63October 14, 2017 5:46 AM

Graham Norton on BBC Radio 2 just span 'NSYNC's 'Girlfriend', I choked on my tea. Are they considered vintage, already?

Forgot how hot JC sounds on that track.

by Anonymousreply 64October 14, 2017 10:08 AM

R63 this line still gets me.

JC: He [Lance] was just as good a singer as me...and the Other Guy. TOPHER: (beat) Justin Timberlake? JC: Whoever.

by Anonymousreply 65October 14, 2017 10:42 AM

Did JC take Pearlman's loads in his mouth or ass?

by Anonymousreply 66October 14, 2017 3:44 PM

Bitches pearlman was a huge bottom He took the loads lol

by Anonymousreply 67October 14, 2017 4:43 PM

I saw Chris Kirkpatrick sing on a YouTube clip with Richard Marx. Since it was a spontaneous duet they obviously didn’t have time to prepare, but he had a very nice voice for harmony. He sings in a high tenor, but seems out of practice. He looks like a chubby dad now, but I’m sure he’s got money enough to not care.

by Anonymousreply 68October 14, 2017 6:50 PM

I wonder how much money they actually made in NSYNC. Didn't they only release one (or was it two) albums that Pearlman wasn't entitled to all the money to?

by Anonymousreply 69October 15, 2017 2:17 AM

Lance just revealed there will be a re-release of 'The Christmas Album' on Vinyl, coming next Winter. So 'NSync are still looking to capitalise 25 years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 15, 2017 1:19 PM

Ain't it about 15 years R70? 'NSYNC certainly didn't get started in 1991.

R48 Britney used to joke about sex with JC all the time and they were comfortable doing that (they go way back with MMC), but they never had obvious tension.

Did Nick Carter ever have JC? Back in the days of TRL Nick used to go stir-crazy around the guy. JC also worked with BSB in studio on their album 'Unbreakable' which was a very 'Nick-centric' BSB record...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 16, 2017 11:17 AM

JC is a 'hooks' guy. Justin is a 'beats' guy. That's what went left.

If *NSYNC took off in 1979 instead of 1999 we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2017 9:22 PM

i'd just like to know how big his dick is.

by Anonymousreply 73October 17, 2017 2:47 AM

The casting choice in the Lifetime 'Britney' biopic (far right) is cute enough but still does JC's handsomeness no justice.

If this actor can sing then all is forgiven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 17, 2017 9:46 AM

R58, Chris was the founding member of NSYNC. Lou Perlman didn't want him for Backstreet Boys, but agreed to form a second band if Chris could bring him some singers. So, Chris then recruited Joey Fatone whom he knew from working at Universal Studios, then they showed Perlman tapes of different guys. The one tape Perlman liked was of Justin Timberlake. Then Justin recruited JC. Lance was a substitute after the original bass singer dropped out.

I'm sad I knew all this and didn't have to even consult Wikipedia, but it's all there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 17, 2017 4:31 PM

Thinking about it now, if Justin had chosen any other fellow Mouseketeer instead of JC, this thread might not even exist.

by Anonymousreply 76October 17, 2017 4:36 PM

Of course Perlman liked the tape of Justin. The man was a child molester.

by Anonymousreply 77October 17, 2017 6:24 PM

Here is Chris Kirkpatrick’s singing voice. Like I said upthread, he’s clearly rusty but underneath that you can hear his vocals. He was the higher part of N Sync’s harmonies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 17, 2017 6:28 PM

It's still so funny to remember that skinny femme (as he was at the time) gay Lance sung bass while chunky straight chihuahua Chris sung in a higher register (alongside the struggle falsetto we all know and love).

JC could do it all musically plus a bag of chips. Does Joey just fall straight-down-the-middle tenor?

by Anonymousreply 79October 17, 2017 6:41 PM

I can’t help but think that Chris Kirkpatrick felt a little ridiculous the way the stylists made him dress. He was like AJ from BSB, supposed to be the bad boy I guess.

by Anonymousreply 80October 17, 2017 7:10 PM

[quote] I can’t help but think that Chris Kirkpatrick felt a little ridiculous the way the stylists made him dress.

Idk man, it just seems like that's how those boys were back then. No-one knew any better in the late 90s/early00s (double-denim?) and they all had kooky dress sense anyway. It just helped that tacky campy attire set them apart from the more straight-laced Backstreet, and win over a younger or trendier audience.

AJ to his credit still sometimes walks around in black nail polish & earrings to this day. Living the gimmick. Sometimes I miss how wacky the style was back in 1999, Millennial fashion sense is all quite uniform (black everything, plain tees & skinnies, Nikes & tattoos) and lacks any 'flash' or a sense of fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 18, 2017 9:22 AM

R79 Joey Fatone was the baritone.

by Anonymousreply 82October 22, 2017 2:08 PM

Is baritone another word for fat?

by Anonymousreply 83October 22, 2017 3:32 PM

[quote]Justin is more alpha.

I'm pretty sure that JC has the bigger dick.

by Anonymousreply 84October 22, 2017 3:43 PM

i haven't heard this guy's name in years.

by Anonymousreply 85October 23, 2017 1:40 AM

i saw this pic on tumblr. boy, he really beefed up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 16, 2017 7:57 PM

^^^Wow, looks like he’s dyeing his hair too, it’s fake dark brown with some gray at the sideburns, and in the chin. Not a great picture, I’m sure he’d look better properly styled.

by Anonymousreply 87November 16, 2017 8:42 PM

According to wikipedia:

"In 2004, Chasez's debut album Schizophrenic was released on Jive Records. Aside from Chasez, the album was produced by Dallas Austin, Basement Jaxx, Robb Boldt and Riprock 'n' Alex G.

Promotion for the album was affected by former bandmate Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson's Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show controversy, after which Chasez was unceremoniously dropped from his halftime show performance at the 2004 Pro Bowl. The NFL feared lyrics of the album's first single, "Some Girls Dance with Women", expressed too much sexuality.[6]"

Thanks a lot, PLANET Jackson!

by Anonymousreply 88November 16, 2017 9:46 PM

He looks dreadful at R86

by Anonymousreply 89November 16, 2017 9:49 PM

We're just not used to seeing him carry weight. He went from 18-40 skinny as a rail, of course it's going to be a shock (for him & us) that his metabolism slows down.

by Anonymousreply 90November 16, 2017 9:59 PM

Justin was more alpha if by “alpha” you mean a squealing cumslut bottom.

by Anonymousreply 91November 16, 2017 11:12 PM

I'd still fuck him. Who is his boyfriend now?

by Anonymousreply 92November 16, 2017 11:36 PM

R67 = Lance

by Anonymousreply 93November 17, 2017 12:03 PM

"Justin is better looking and more alpha."

Justin looks like inbred white trash fom Florida; therefore since he reflects America today, he became the bigger star.

by Anonymousreply 94November 17, 2017 1:35 PM

R88, maybe the promo wasn't good, but his songs were awful. I was a die-hard Nsync and JC fan -- I even ran out to buy the Mickey Mouse Club CD because JC was part of the 8 that worked on that album -- and I did not buy his Schizophrenic cd. I knew it was out, but I didn't like the songs.

And look at this performance on the Wade Robson project. He sounds awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95November 17, 2017 4:31 PM

There’s something very gay-siren-call about his vocals on ‘Right There’. The lyrics speak of sex with a woman but the mechanics he describes have an ambiguity and even passivity. It would be refreshing if he were like this in bed with women, though, less of the macho bullshit in pop music is always a welcome change.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 4, 2017 9:31 PM

Ewwwww. He looks like Sean Hayes’ fat twin!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 28, 2018 1:19 AM

JC didn't give his virginity to a fat slug of a paedo or get gang banged by a bunch of producers to put out Micheal Jackson-lite shite that even the king of pop would never ever release. JC was hotter and more alpha.

by Anonymousreply 98April 28, 2018 1:22 AM

When I listen to JC talk sometimes these days I wonder if he has griefbased depression or trauma. I recognise the forced neutered ‘happy look’ and the deliberate vagueness when he discusses himself. It would also account for the long ‘quiet’ periods where he seems to drop off radar and the sometimes-tired style. I like this guy a lot and thinks he’s really a sweetheart so I hope this isn’t true (and if it is that he has real honest help and support).

by Anonymousreply 99January 4, 2019 4:23 PM

Justin has the looks of a lanky highway rest stop bro who just sucks one cock after another.

by Anonymousreply 100January 4, 2019 5:14 PM

R34 for ‘Senõrita’ Jussy lifted the slinky Latin percussion & claps as well as the “all the ladies in the house tonight” from the ‘She’s The Max’ JC-led demo. He's a sneaky little plagiarist and I guess it paid.

by Anonymousreply 101January 4, 2019 6:19 PM

He was one of the gay ones on NSYNC

by Anonymousreply 102January 4, 2019 6:25 PM

^^there’s only 1.5 straight guys in ‘NSYNC. You’d have to be more specific, honey.

by Anonymousreply 103January 4, 2019 6:56 PM

He failed partially because of the over-the-top fake heterosexuality he tried to exude. NO ONE believed it. And the song about watching two women together as if he were the regular straight horndog checking out the lezzie action - so completely pretending.

His first single "Blowin' Me Up (With HER Love)" is pretty bad but the video is hilarious. JC had his hair long and curly, whipping it around like he's in the "Bad" video or something. Then there are the trucker hats off kilter so delicately. And, of course, a black marching band to give himself some street cred.

That song was used as the theme for the 'Trading Spaces' type show, 'Clean Sweep.' Well, just the instrumental break, no JC singing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104January 4, 2019 7:20 PM

R104 I find ‘BMU’ campy. It’s trying to be a straightfaced ‘Hollaback Girl’ mashed up with ‘You Rock My World’, only at NASCAR rally with The Warriors and the same cast of extras from ‘NSYNC’s ‘Girlfriend video’. It’s a tonal nightmare and a visual mess, and you’re right that the ghetto orchestra and gangsta attire looked so pandering. Maybe I’m remembering this wrong but didn’t Tara Reid basically stalk JC after they got done shooting this, like pestering and threatening him to go out with her?

I actually like the sound of the song though and think it’s sexy, if a little silly with how JC keeps yelling and doing runs like Beyoncé. It’s a cut above the LUG anthem ‘Some Girls Dance With Women’ and absolutely a better jam than ‘All Day Long I Dream About Sex’, a title which Korn used to better effect.

I sensed he was gay at a young age because I remember thinking he was hot in this video (I had ample time to ponder when it was constantly on TRL) and I’m a bi who is without fail and exception (so far)’only ever attracted to closeted gay guys.

by Anonymousreply 105January 4, 2019 7:39 PM

He would have better off if he had released an album of (mostly) ballads. He blew Justin out of the water on “This I Promise You”. None of the songs on that solo album showcased his amazing voice.

by Anonymousreply 106January 4, 2019 7:54 PM

[quote] None of the songs on that solo album showcased his amazing voice.

JC’s ‘Dear Goodbye’ is beautiful and that was included in SCHIZOPHRENIC. It’s heartfelt & melodically-sensitive in ways most of these boybanders can’t manage.

He is a naturally-talented singer & dancer where Justin had to work hard at it. Maybe that was a part of the problem?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 4, 2019 8:14 PM

JC Chasez got overshadowed by Justin Timberlake. Johnny Gill and Ralph Tresvant got overshadowed by Bobby Brown. Jordan Knight got overshadowed by the Wahlbergs. Zayn got overshadowed by Harry Styles.

The key to solo success is being very extroverted, charismatic and hunger for attention and fame. Anything to make you stand out from the group.

by Anonymousreply 108January 22, 2021 7:33 PM

Boy bands nearly always have borderline (sometimes not so borderline) unattractive and/or nonsinging members. The svengalis do it so that a good percentage of the group will "know their place." See also: Su-Elise in Mis-teeq.

by Anonymousreply 109January 22, 2021 7:44 PM

In the case of Bobby Brown in New Edition and Robbie Williams in Take That. They both were drug addicts, very cocky, often late and hard to work with hence they got let go or quit (depending on who you ask). Then they used their "bad boy" image to propel themselves to super stardom.

by Anonymousreply 110January 22, 2021 8:04 PM

They also had the songs and producers, though.

by Anonymousreply 111January 22, 2021 8:09 PM

[quote] They also had the songs and producers, though.

Yes, they were marketable. I think in Bobby Brown's case, he was this tough-as-nails dark-skinned black guy with raw sex appeal and slick dance moves and could spit rhymes. Hip-hop as a genre was getting noticed too in the public eye. Bobby released his first solo album, a short synth-funk jam and it got him one hit on the R&B charts "Girlfriend". And when Bobby got contacted by Babyface and Teddy Riley, the rest was history and he became a huge star in the late 80s. Though by 1991, he was over due to his drug problems, financial problems and refusal to grow up.

Robbie Williams just rode on the success of the 90s Britpop and "Cool Britannia" movement and he had great taste in production and choice of singles. His choice to cover George Michael with "Freedom" and his big hit single "Angels" were very smart. Like Bobby, he showed off his body and exploited his sex appeal. Though neither guys were beautiful or handsome but had rockin' bods. Robbie also experimented with electronic, swing, jazz, classical pop, house, trip hop, R&B and hip-hop. He's a more versatile artist than Timberlake or Styles actually.

by Anonymousreply 112January 22, 2021 8:27 PM

[quote] Timberlake is a much better singer and performer than Harry. Harry would be fortunate to have 1/10 of Justin's success.

It's funny that JT gets so much hate and accusations of cultural appropriation. But JT loved R&B and hip-hop from the very beginning and even before NSYNC, he loved covering R&B and hip-hop songs on the Mickey Mouse Club along with JC, Britney, Christina and Ryan and others. I'm sure he called up Pharrell and Timbaland and if not them he probably would have called up Babyface or Rodney Jerkins or Will.I.Am. JT always had a big mouth and a strong personality for better or worse and it's clear he doesn't listen to his publicists with the many times he put his foot in his mouth.

Now, Harry Styles image comes across as very media-researched and contrived by his team. Though he was into pop rock as a kid, it was more 2000s stuff like pop rock, pop punk and emo. He mentioned liking Savage Garden, Shania Twain and Paramore. Very much stuff of the time and very Top 40. His whole 1960s/1970s sound and look and use of "queer" doesn't seem naturally him and more like what his fans envisioned him because of his resemblance to Mick Jagger (which somehow is a compliment?) People really buy into Harry as an "artiste" and think he's this great activist when everything he has done has been done before and more authentically at that.

by Anonymousreply 113January 23, 2021 1:39 AM

JC's debut and Christina's debut albums are better than JT's and Britney's debuts.

JC's album is more on the electronic and synth-funk side and Christina's album is more R&B and neo-soul.

And contrary to popular belief, Christina was signed before Britney and she got her big break singing Reflection for Mulan in 1998 before Britney was even famous. Christina was forced by her label to overhaul her album to sound more like Britney's dance-pop sound after Baby...One More Time was a surprise hit. Christina had to fight to keep her debut more R&B sounding and compromised to have poppy singles like "Genie in a Bottle" and "What A Girl Wants" and more R&B songs like "Come On Over" and "I Will Turn To You"

by Anonymousreply 114February 3, 2021 8:29 PM

Has JC found the right girl yet?

by Anonymousreply 115February 3, 2021 8:35 PM

[Quote] Christina's album is more R&B and neo-soul.

No it's not.

by Anonymousreply 116February 3, 2021 8:35 PM

"I Turn to You" is a standard Diane Warren ballad.

by Anonymousreply 117February 3, 2021 8:36 PM

R116

It's definitely Lite R&B sounding. More uptempo but it's structurally similar to R&B.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118February 3, 2021 8:36 PM

That song at r107 is dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 119February 3, 2021 8:38 PM

Wasn't everything Lite R&B in the wake of Robyn?

by Anonymousreply 120February 3, 2021 8:39 PM

JC was the most beautiful member of the group and I'm sure every bit as talented as JT. JT probably just had better producers, which is why his solo career took off and JC's did not.

by Anonymousreply 121February 3, 2021 8:40 PM

JT had that cocky "LOOK AT ME!" attitude that screams insecure but to young and naive girls they think it's "cool" "and "confident" lol. JC was more chill and mature, he was older and more secure in himself.

by Anonymousreply 122February 3, 2021 8:41 PM

The Max Martin sound in general is watered down R&B just like Stock-Aitken-Waterman. Christina was not full R&B obviously but she was more in favor of an urban sound and her type of singing was mimicking Whitney and Mariah. She wanted to make a Mariah type of album but her label kept forcing her to copy Britney's pure pop sound. Diane Warren wrote a lot of her ballads for black artists who did their own interpretation of it.

by Anonymousreply 123February 3, 2021 8:46 PM

What JC Chasez From NSYNC Is Doing Today:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124February 3, 2021 8:46 PM

His face is still pretty but the hair...

by Anonymousreply 125February 3, 2021 8:48 PM

Oof. Give up the hair dye, JC.

by Anonymousreply 126February 3, 2021 8:49 PM

A gay ol' time or Ol' timey gays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127February 3, 2021 8:50 PM

Whatever he's doing, it must be nice to be that young and basically retired from life. I'm hopeful he's happy no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 128February 3, 2021 8:51 PM

He was trying to get a girl group off that ground some years ago. Obviously it didn't come to fruition.

by Anonymousreply 129February 3, 2021 8:52 PM

[quote] JC was the most beautiful member of the group

He was only member that was pretty and he had the best smile. JT is and was an acquired taste for many. The rest were not attractive at all. I know many girls that crushed on Lance but I guess for his personality.

JC's lack of success is really parallel to Jordan Knight's lack of success. He also was the best-looking and most talented of his group but the less attractive and marginally talented Wahlberg brothers eclipsed him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130February 3, 2021 8:52 PM

*off the ground

by Anonymousreply 131February 3, 2021 8:52 PM

JT wasn't an acquired taste when he went solo. But age has proven that he only really had youth on his site, and a pretty good worked out body. JT is not a handsome man.

by Anonymousreply 132February 3, 2021 8:53 PM

*side

by Anonymousreply 133February 3, 2021 8:53 PM

I met him about ten years ago when I was in the waiting room at jury duty, in a setting where he was just one more citizen. Nice guy, down to earth. He emitted the sad vibe of "used to be famous," like he had seen a lot in his lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 134February 3, 2021 9:06 PM

Backstreet Boys as a unit were all pretty good-looking and harmonized very well. They were good-looking together like Sears or A&F catalog models but separately their physical and musical weaknesses are more apparent. Nick Carter was a cute twink but he was never beautiful or sexy and his looks fell off very quickly especially with his drugs, drinking and weight problems. Brian had a hillbilly face like JT. AJ's tattoos and piercings are distracting. Howie was cute but generic.

Kevin though was and is beautiful and very Ken-doll like. He lacks JC's funny personality and sexiness. But he's an open liberal and Democrat. So beautiful inside and out while Brian is ugly inside and out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135February 3, 2021 9:06 PM

[Quote] like he had seen a lot in his lifetime.

Lou Pearlman's furry nutsack?

by Anonymousreply 136February 3, 2021 9:09 PM

[Quote] They were good-looking together like Sears or A&F catalog models

No they didn't. Nick was the cute teen. Kevin was the hunky twenty something. And the others were there.

by Anonymousreply 137February 3, 2021 9:10 PM

Kevin has started to look odd. I think he's had his eyes done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138February 3, 2021 9:12 PM

I know noses keep growing but... jaws do too?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139February 3, 2021 9:15 PM

Howie, Brian and AJ were generally better-looking than Lance, Chris and Joey. JC and JT who were the only decent-looking ones (In addition to having talent) in NSYNC stood out like sore thumbs. The Backstreet Boys members blended together better and while Nick and Kevin stood out a bit more (despite not being very good singers), the contrast of attractive and unattractive was not as jarring as it was in NSYNC.

The only boy band I have ever seen where every member is hot is the UK boy band Take That.

by Anonymousreply 140February 3, 2021 9:29 PM

I don't think anyone in their teen fanbase thought AJ was hot, similar to Joey Fatone in NSync. Lance and Howie were similarly dorky, beta etc. Brian and Nick fulfilled a similar boy next door role as JC and JT.

by Anonymousreply 141February 3, 2021 9:35 PM

Five or 5ive were all pretty photogenic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142February 3, 2021 9:41 PM

Lawson were all good looking but who's even heard of them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143February 3, 2021 9:42 PM

Northern Line was another minor group that lacked homely members.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144February 3, 2021 9:44 PM

Take That had every member be sexy because they were managed by a gay man and they were originally targeted to a gay audience. Their early videos were softcore Bel Ami porn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145February 3, 2021 9:46 PM

It was nothing new or noteworthy to have a gay manager in pop music...

by Anonymousreply 146February 3, 2021 9:48 PM

Gary Barlow was not considered sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147February 3, 2021 9:49 PM

[quote] It was nothing new or noteworthy to have a gay manager in pop music...

OK fair but was NSYNC or Backstreet targeted to a gay audience in their career?

by Anonymousreply 148February 3, 2021 9:50 PM

Yes. NSync started out in Europe. Tell me this isn't gay clubwear...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149February 3, 2021 9:53 PM

[quote] Yes. NSync started out in Europe. Tell me this isn't gay clubwear..

You're reaching. That's 90s urban fashion to fit the R&B-lite sound and being European, they were allowed to wear more form-fitting clothes than in America.

Now did they ever wear leather fetish gear with their chests and bulges popping out and covering themselves in whipped cream to house music like Take That?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150February 3, 2021 9:57 PM

[Quote] You're reaching. That's 90s urban fashion to fit the R&B-lite sound

If that's the case, why did they make a different video for the American market with more of a street/Urban look?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 3, 2021 10:01 PM

Here's another early NSync look...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152February 3, 2021 10:02 PM

Timberlake had more charisma and he was good tabloid fodder because of his relationship with Britney.

by Anonymousreply 153February 3, 2021 10:03 PM

R151

Because cultural differences. What's perceived as "gay" in America is just seen as fashion-forward in Europe.

Take That's early videos are considered universally gay on both sides of the Atlantic.

R152

That's still way more tame than what Take That wore. They look more like a white Boyz II Men and Jodeci. Plus none of their videos were titilating nor did they make gay club music like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154February 3, 2021 10:06 PM

[Quote] nor did they make gay club music like this.

Because cultural differences.

by Anonymousreply 155February 3, 2021 10:10 PM

NSYNC's appeal to gay men was not the intention of Perlman like it was with Nigel's very sexualized campy marketing of Take That. Backstreet and NSYNC were created to sell "R&B" music to white girls using cute white boys. NSYNC and Backsteet were non-threatening. Take That were dressed like gay porn whores

by Anonymousreply 156February 3, 2021 10:11 PM

R155

House music is American. It originated in Chicago gay clubs.

by Anonymousreply 157February 3, 2021 10:12 PM

R155

Also Relight Your Fire is an American disco song written by Dan Harmon. Disco also originated in America.

by Anonymousreply 158February 3, 2021 10:13 PM

And it became mainstream in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 159February 3, 2021 10:14 PM

Dan Hartman, dear. Dan Hartman.

by Anonymousreply 160February 3, 2021 10:14 PM

I'm a gay man who came of age in the late 80s and early 90s, and the members of these boy bands did nothing for me. I never understood how anyone found Justin Timberlake attractive. Marky Mark, though ...

by Anonymousreply 161February 3, 2021 10:14 PM

Timberlake had a good makeover. That can't be denied.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162February 3, 2021 10:16 PM

Disco, and by extension House music is the confluence of electronic music that was pioneered in Germany and American R&B.

by Anonymousreply 163February 3, 2021 10:16 PM

I think New Kids on the Block had more appeal to gay men unintentionally. Donnie, Mark (yes he was an original member) and Danny were "rough trade". Joey was the "twink". Jonathan and Jordan were the pretty church choir boys.

by Anonymousreply 164February 3, 2021 10:17 PM

[Quote] Disco, and by extension House music is the confluence of electronic music that was pioneered in Germany and American R&B.

And there are cuts that only saw success in Europe or other territories. Take That's version of "Could It Be Magic" (yes, an AMERICAN SONGGGGG!111) would never have been a bit hit in America. Dance pop never went away in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 165February 3, 2021 10:19 PM

So was NSYNC and Backstreet's diet R&B/new jack swing sound more appealing to European gays?

by Anonymousreply 166February 3, 2021 10:21 PM

R127 all that's missing is Colto.

by Anonymousreply 167February 3, 2021 10:23 PM

New Jack Swing was dead and buried by the time NSync arrived. The Euro club sound was an inlfuence on early NSync. Stonebridge remixed some of their early cuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168February 3, 2021 10:27 PM

Was NSYNC even being played in gay clubs though?

Plus I don't think they had any appeal to gay men like hunky hypersexual Bobby Brown would. I mean on Datalounge most people think of them as quite homely except for JC and to a lesser extent JT and Joey.

by Anonymousreply 169February 3, 2021 10:30 PM

Chasez can sing rings around Timberlake, and does in some of their recordings.

by Anonymousreply 170February 3, 2021 10:36 PM

Marky Mark, Jeremy Jordan, Jodeci, D'Angelo and Usher being targeted to a gay European audience in the 90s makes more sense to me than NSYNC or BSB or Westlife or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 171February 3, 2021 10:41 PM

Bobby Brown was homely no matter what he humped. He's not Tank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172February 3, 2021 10:41 PM

I wonder if Britney would have been a successful solo star had she stayed in Innosense, the counterpart to NSYNC, even with former MMCers like Nikki DeLoach. Timberlake's mom and Perlman managed it. I love Britney and all but people need to remember Backstreet Boys and NSYNC were famous before her and they helped her career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173February 3, 2021 10:47 PM

Dating Britney helped JT's profile but I think NSYNC trying to win street cred with the black community is a bigger reason why his solo career was pushed. NSYNC made a cover of That's The Way Love Goes by Janet, they had Left Eye as a feature in Space Cowboy and even had a feature (well mostly JC) in a song by Blaque. They did the reverse of what Backstreet Boys did. When BSB debuted they had a more R&B sound and had more black songwriters and producers on their debut. NSYNC hired Rodney Jerkins, Bryan McKnight, Teddy Riley and Babyface to produce and write for their later albums. Justin Timberlake when he went solo hooked up with the Neptunes and Timbaland who were the hottest producers at the time and the rest was history.

by Anonymousreply 174February 3, 2021 11:01 PM

[quote] —But he wasn't willing to get buttfucked by creepy producers

In retrospect, r170, JC used poor judgment. If you are going to get buttf*cked anyway you may as well use it to advance your career.

by Anonymousreply 175February 3, 2021 11:52 PM

He had a spaz vibe

by Anonymousreply 176February 3, 2021 11:54 PM

Same reason why Harry Styles was the breakout star instead of Zayn Malik. Confidence, charisma, networking skills, acting ability for cross promotion, not too much weed.

by Anonymousreply 177February 3, 2021 11:56 PM

Perlman unlike Nigel Martin Smith or Simon Cowell was not a gay man.

He was a pedophile just like Edgardo Diaz who managed Menudo. That's why Lou picked out Nick Carter, Lance Bass, Ashley Park Angel and Justin Timberlake and the most tragic victim Aaron Carter. JT was at least protected by his mom who was a stage momager on par with Tina and Mathew Knowles.

by Anonymousreply 178February 3, 2021 11:57 PM

R177 are you sure about those last two??

by Anonymousreply 179February 4, 2021 5:13 AM

Harry isn't going to have the career of Justin Timberlake or Robbie Williams. He isn't a star like they are. Harry will most likely be like Gaga and end up doing TV and film work and release albums as a hobby

by Anonymousreply 180February 4, 2021 3:34 PM

'Harry isn't going to have the career of Justin Timberlake or Robbie Williams. He isn't a star like they are.'

He's already had ten years at their level and his fandom is bigger than either. His last album is in the 50 most streamed albums of all time on Spotify. Robbie Williams isn't on the list.

by Anonymousreply 181February 5, 2021 1:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!