Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kate McKinnon said six things in her 4,000-word Vanity Fair cover story

[quote]Meanwhile, on the topic of her sexuality, she gives “a fast, nervous shake of the head.” On the question of what she ate for dinner with Hillary one night “her eyes begin to skitter and jump.” The problem, you see, is that as an interview subject, she possesses “a cat’s sensitivity and suspiciousness … as if she’s equipped with a pair of invisible whiskers, and the moment those whiskers come into contact with something wrong …”

What is this bitch's problem?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 12, 2018 5:44 AM

I'm sorry, who?

by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2017 1:59 AM

She sounds nuts.

I like the pink and green of the cover, though.

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2017 2:00 AM

[quote] On the question of what she ate for dinner with Hillary

It would probably be best if we don't ask that question.

by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2017 2:04 AM

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2017 2:13 AM

Yay, secrecy about her life as a gay. I guess she's ashamed of it.

by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2017 2:25 AM

Who the hell is Kate McKinnon?

by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2017 2:28 AM

[quote] Who the hell is Kate McKinnon?

She's who you're gonna call

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2017 2:40 AM

Maybe she was coked up?

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2017 2:55 AM

I've only ever seen her play lesbians. Can she play anything else? Or is she like certain gay male actors who can't play straight either?

by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2017 2:58 AM

My favorite Kate McKinnon skit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2017 3:01 AM

She's on SNL . I thought she was already out?

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2017 3:06 AM

R10, make sure to tune in to SNL tonight

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2017 3:17 AM

R12, Thanks!

Yes, she's an out Lesbian. Her girlfriend accompanied her to the Emmys. But she's not on social media, and doesn't really have a responsibility to talk about her private life. Sarah Jessica Parker said her marriage has lasted because she doesn't discuss it. “The secret is, we don’t discuss it. To reporters or anybody else. That’s it! We don’t hold it up as an example and we don’t air our dirty laundry."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2017 3:19 AM

Nina Garcia has said on Project Runway that green is NEVER on magazine covers. Nina Garcia is a liiiiaaaarrrr!

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2017 3:20 AM

I wonder whose decision it was for her to wear a dunce cap.

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2017 3:24 AM

PS The Cut notices that McKinnon "gets a sprawling, 4,000-word write-up." It's worth noting because longfoem journalism is rare these days to the point of being almost non-existent anymore...

...except, of course, for Out's even longer public relations epic on behalf of pedophile Trumpster Milo Yiannopoulos. I still hate Out because of it.

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2017 3:25 AM

The photos are great, and very lesbian-glam. She's not closeted, and making her out to sound that way is a real fuck-you to the woman.

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2017 3:27 AM

[quote]Yay, secrecy about her life as a gay. I guess she's ashamed of it.

Considering she got her start on “The Big Gay Sketch Show”, she’s clearly not closeted. She has a right not to talk about her personal life.

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2017 3:38 AM

I wonder if she would be closeted were it not for The Big Gay Sketch Show making that impossible. She called her girlfriend "Jack" instead of "Jackie" (Jacquie?) in her speech.

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2017 3:42 AM

I don't mind that she wants to be private, but I do wonder why she agreed to this interview if she didn't want to do it.

by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2017 3:45 AM

The article and writing style -- author brings heaping stacks of themselves into the article -- strike me as insufferable.

Unless it's the Interview magazine style of a famous person interviewing another famous person, I don't give a rat's incontinent ass about the some goddamn spewer of glorified press releases about celebrities and their thoughts and feelings. If they had anything to say, they wouldn't be pumping out hack shit.

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2017 3:48 AM

Huh, r21?

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2017 3:50 AM

r9 Are you calling Hillary a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2017 3:55 AM

No coke here R21 Alas.... Didja read the VF article in question? The author goes w. a common style of bringing themselves into the article. If the author is someone like Larraine Newman or Julia Louis Dreyfuss, fine. But it's not and it comes across as insipid, arrogant, boring.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2017 4:04 AM

She's so one-note, the rolling, bug-out eyes and exaggerated grimaces. She's click bait in the sense of I click the TV off when she comes on.

I also think that her Hillary contributed to the meme that Hillary is unlikable.

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2017 4:16 AM

r25 That "meme" has been around forever. Even Obama mentioned it at a debate in TWO THOUSAND AND EIGHT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2017 4:30 AM

Honey @ R26, I remember the premiere of SNL, so you ain't telling me nothing I don't know. However, McKinnon played Hillary without any redeeming qualities, she made her creepy, and I think that did have an effect on how Hillary was viewed,especicially by perhaps younger, more impressionable "progressives."

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2017 4:44 AM

[quote] McKinnon played Hillary without any redeeming qualities, she made her creepy

I've watched Hillary since '92. What you see is what you get.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2017 4:51 AM

r27 Her Hillary was not creepy. And c'mon. She was up against Alec Baldwin's Trump - HE had all the creepiness in those sketches.

McKinnon's Hillary was, at worst, a bit of panderer. But is that unfair? That essay on Beyoncé, that speech reference to PokémonGo, ending one of her debates with "May the force be with you" - do you honestly she did these things spontaneously? She was pandering. She does that a lot, and not very subtly. It's no one fault but hers that she tries to appeal to the lowest common denominator - and fails at that.

Go to North Korea if you want comedy who does not challenge a politician.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2017 4:52 AM

It was McKinnon's fault that Hillary came across as creepy. In real life she was not like that at all. Look what a fool McKinnon made her out to be in one of her sketches:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2017 4:54 AM

I am watching last night's SNL (alien abduction skit), and I came back here to say McKinnon is hilarious. It's a shame that the audience--at least the people here--are burning out on her. SNL is too dependent on her the way it was on Kristen Wiig, and they're really working against themselves in overplaying her. I don't know or care whether she's crazy in real life. She's a funny woman.

by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2017 5:35 PM

[quote]I've only ever seen her play lesbians. Can she play anything else? Or is she like certain gay male actors who can't play straight either?

She has played straight characters in a couple of movies like Masterminds and Rough Night. She also plays that white trash bar lady that makes out with gross men on SNL. She played a straight character in one episode of the Netflix show Friends From College. Her character was an eccentric writer who was married to idiot played by Billy Magnussen. Even though they had brief screentime I bought them as a married couple.

by Anonymousreply 32October 5, 2017 12:43 AM

Loved her spoof of Kelly Anne Conway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 5, 2017 3:45 AM

[quote]The article and writing style -- author brings heaping stacks of themselves into the article -- strike me as insufferable.

Yes, if there are only six quotes from McKinnon in a 4,000-word story, that's the fault of the writer, not McKinnon.

by Anonymousreply 34October 5, 2017 4:26 AM

R34 I've wondered if the interview was cut short, Kate M. agreed to talk for 10 minutes or something unusual happened. Whatever wacky approach the writer might have had in mind, it's at least a little strange that an editor or two signed off on six quotes in 4,000 words.

by Anonymousreply 35October 5, 2017 4:45 AM

The author seems a bit homophobic and it seems she may done something that made Kate uncomfortable. I also found it odd that at the Emmys McKinnon called her girlfriend "Jack". Since joining SNL, she rarely talks about being a lesbian in interviews. I think her management team advised her not to talk about it much.

by Anonymousreply 36October 5, 2017 6:22 PM

I love McKinnon's Kellyanne portrayal. But, I wish the SNL makeup people would put meth user type makeup on her to make her look more like Kellyanne.

by Anonymousreply 37October 5, 2017 6:24 PM

She was a great Jeff Sessions.

by Anonymousreply 38October 5, 2017 8:13 PM

Too bad, we don't get to see her often as Miss Lindsey Graham

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 5, 2017 8:20 PM

Every Christmas and birthday (or any gift giving situation) my bf and I STILL say "Is it a VAGINA?" before we open a present.

Jesus, how long has it been since The Big Gay Sketch Show" was on? I'm sure she legally can't, but I'd love for her to do Fitzwilliam on SNL.

It's too bad she used him so soon, because he would have been a HUGE recurring character now. At least there would be "Is it a VAGINA?" t-shirts.

by Anonymousreply 40October 5, 2017 8:31 PM

I can't believe someone here called her "one note", WTF!?!

Only here.

The Jim Jeffers cold opening had me howling!

"I live in the grandfather clock in the hallway." "I made friends with some mice. They tell me secrets!"

The recurring bit where she's the old studio system broad at the round table of contemporary female actors is one of her best.

by Anonymousreply 41October 5, 2017 9:03 PM

McKinnon can never successfully make it outside of SNL. She may be talented in sketch comedy (I'll assume because I hate SNL and stopped watching it years ago), but in films, she's totally grating. Even worse, she's playing completely the opposite of everyone else in the scene. All this does is derail everyone and everything else. THis was most evident in the Ghostbusters remake. She was so completely off doing her own thing and it had nothing to do with anyone or anything else happening onscreen. I've seen her do this in other films too, like masterminds and Office Christmas Party. Maybe it's just lazy directors who have no idea what to do with her and think- Oh, I've got Kate McKinnon. I'll just let her do her Kate McKinnon thing and it'll be funny. Or maybe she truly can't take direction and they just give up. Whatever the reason, she's poison to a film.

by Anonymousreply 42October 5, 2017 9:13 PM

^ Jeff Sessions (!)

by Anonymousreply 43October 5, 2017 9:19 PM

[quote]Jesus, how long has it been since The Big Gay Sketch Show" was on? I'm sure she legally can't, but I'd love for her to do Fitzwilliam on SNL.

Big Gay Sketch Show premiered in 2007 and ended in 2010. Even if she could do Fitzwilliam on SNL, it wouldn't be a wise move because tumblr SJWs have been complained that Fitzwilliam sketches are transphobic. I'm surprised that Jill Solloway hasn't gone after Kate and Logo for the Fitzwilliam sketches. Solloway recently bitched that Julia Sweeney's Pat character on SNL was transphobic.

by Anonymousreply 44October 5, 2017 9:19 PM

Provincetown Freudian slip R41?

by Anonymousreply 45October 5, 2017 9:20 PM

[quote] Solloway recently bitched that Julia Sweeney's Pat character on SNL was transphobic.

Soloway needs to shut the fuck up already.

by Anonymousreply 46October 5, 2017 9:20 PM

Her girlfriend looks like a psycho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 5, 2017 11:55 PM

I think I'd start getting pretty cagey and tight-lipped if my world famous middle school crush turned colleague went on tv to tell this story about me:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2018 5:06 AM

R42

I agree with you that she goes off and does her own thing in movies, but I disagree that it was a liability in that execrable Ghostbusters remake. She was the only good thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 49October 12, 2018 5:12 AM

What makes you say that, R47? I think the girlfriend looks perfectly normal and is better looking than McKinnon.

by Anonymousreply 50October 12, 2018 5:21 AM

r50, they're both "types" that people not into that specific type aren't going to find appealing. I think McKinnon is much better looking than the girlfriend and the girlfriend reminds me of The Count from Sesame Street, but I get why chicks who are into the Mediterranean/Middle Eastern chapstickbian look would give her a second glance. I prefer dirty blondes with dimples.

by Anonymousreply 51October 12, 2018 5:29 AM

That still doesn't explain the psycho comment.

by Anonymousreply 52October 12, 2018 5:36 AM

That was probably just someone with a small vocabulary misrepresenting their gut reaction or ethnic bias.

by Anonymousreply 53October 12, 2018 5:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!