Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anthony Bourdain Opens Up About His Girlfriend Asia Argento

Anthony Bourdain Opens Up About His Girlfriend Asia Argento

Sounds like Anthony Bourdain and his new girlfriend Asia Argento are perfectly suited for one another.

In a new interview with People, the “Parts Unknown” host opens up how the Italian actress has injected new energy into his work and travels since they began dating earlier this year.

“Asia has spent a lifetime in film since she was 9 years old. She comes from generations of filmmakers on both sides of the family,” Bourdain told the magazine. “She’s a really accomplished director and writer along with being a longtime actress and a real sponge for culture, music, literature. So she’s enormously helpful and inspiring.”

Argento is best known in the states for her role as Yelena in the 2002 action film “xXx.” She won the David di Donatello award (Italy’s version of an Oscar) in 1994 and 1996 for “Perdiamoci di vista” and “Campagna di viaggio.”

Bourdain also credits Argento ― who appeared in the Rome episode of “Parts Unknown” in season eight ― with giving him great travel recommendations for 10th season of the hit CNN show.

“We were shooting in Nigeria and I get a text from Asia saying, ‘Are you aware of the Nigeria psychedelic rock scene from the 1970s?’ and I’m like, ‘What? No!’” he said. “This was an enormously helpful, inspiring thing that altered the sound for the show and changed up a lot.”

And while Bourdain travels more than 250 days a year while filming, the couple take the distance in stride.

“We both work a lot,” he told People, “and we’re both away from home a lot so we’re both circus freaks in the same circus—or different circuses I guess.”

Sounds like a perfect match. (Plus, it probably doesn’t hurt that the chef “spends a lot of time in Italy” with the actress.)

The travel-loving couple made their relationship Instagram official last May, with his-and-her versions of the same pic on their personal accounts.

They made their first red carpet appearance earlier this month at the annual Creative Arts Emmy Awards in Los Angeles. Bourdain lost in all five categories his show was nominated in, but it sounds like the pair had an amazing time anyway.

“Best Emmys ever,” Bourdain tweeted with a pic of the couple all dolled up on the red carpet.

This is Bourdain’s first public relationship since he split from his wife Ottavia Busia, a mixed martial arts fighter, in September 2016.

He and Busia have a 9-year-old daughter together. Argento has two daughters of her own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 13, 2018 8:44 PM

I had no idea that Bourdain had split from his wife, much less started dating Argento.

Interestingly, AB did a "Parts Unknown: Rome" show a few years ago, and she pretty much was the focus of that show. I'm guessing that's how they met.

Such an unlikely couple.

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2017 1:34 PM

very unlikely

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2017 1:35 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2017 1:36 PM

I cannot imagine two people more unsuited to one another.

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2017 1:38 PM

She looks very healthy there and not like a strung out junkie- I guess they suit each other. She also resembles Winona Ryder.

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2017 1:54 PM

The "Rome" episode of PU revealed them both to be completely insufferable. They're perfectly matched.

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2017 1:55 PM

no one cares

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2017 2:06 PM

Tony is such a cream puff now. He's totally become what he used to criticize.

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2017 5:38 PM

They've been pushing for publicity ever since they got together. We had a small thread about it last year, but no one is particularly interested in either of them anymore. They're C-list mainstream Cream O' Wheat nowadays, but they still think it's 15 years ago when they briefly passed as super cool edgelords.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2017 5:42 PM

r8, what did he do?

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2017 5:45 PM

It's not so much what he did, R10.

He has just become a rich, spoiled, pompous elitist now that he's famous and has tons of money.

He used to be the anti-establishment rebel chef.

Now, just like many other Boomers of his generation, they've become complete sellouts.

Oh, and the connection between Bourdain and Argento could be that they're both (insufferable, as someone else put it) recovering addicts.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2017 5:50 PM

[quote]Now, just like many other Boomers of his generation,

he's a bit on the young side for being a boomer. I hear you though, I like the latest series, but damn, I'd HATE to encounter him in person now

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2017 5:53 PM

I always thought he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2017 5:59 PM

I prefer his stand-in, Bobby Cannavale, on "Master of None."

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2017 6:02 PM

No, 1956 is right in the middle of the Boomer generation, R12.

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2017 6:07 PM

WTF couple

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2017 6:13 PM

Tony is not gay and gay people make him uncomfortable, which is odd for such a worldly man. I wonder if his daughter will see much of Mr Bourdain in the coming years -- my guess is probably not.

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2017 6:17 PM

I don't think he's that uncomfortable with gay people, R17.

In his Massachusetts Parts Unknown show, he took a tour of the place where he spent his early 20's as a cook, and it was in Provincetown.

He made specific mention of how people just did whatever they wanted in Provincetown in the 1970's, and that's what he loved about it. Gay, straight, whatever.

Bourdain was also a heroin addict back in those days, so I wouldn't doubt if he had a fling or two with another guy.

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2017 6:21 PM

She's just waiting for him to die so she can make a gorgeous coat and matching purse and boots out of his already fully leathery skin.

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2017 6:24 PM

He seems insufferable

by Anonymousreply 20September 22, 2017 1:38 AM

Love his show...but never was much a fan of the man himself.

by Anonymousreply 21September 22, 2017 1:41 AM

r19 I love you

by Anonymousreply 22September 22, 2017 1:51 AM

R18 I'll have to dredge up his Massachusetts show probably? from his pre-CNN era. It was a disgusting trashing. He focused entirely on the racism and bar scene in very specific and extremely stereotypical parts of inner-city Boston/right wing talk radio denizens. Boston definitely has its shit side but no time was given to any other part of Boston, or MA for identity or for culture or its historic roots. He trashedus with a big nasty FU 'I don't even care to figure out who the rest of you are' mentality.

by Anonymousreply 23September 22, 2017 2:30 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 24, 2017 3:43 AM

He’s gay and she’s a lesbian, so this should be working out quite well for them.

by Anonymousreply 25September 24, 2017 3:48 AM

She's very pretty in the OP's pic until she reveals all those hideous tattoos at R24.

by Anonymousreply 26September 24, 2017 3:48 AM

And the fake boobs.

by Anonymousreply 27September 24, 2017 3:52 AM

Now I know why he was so upset about the JT Leroy story.

by Anonymousreply 28September 24, 2017 3:58 AM

Both are gay, how is no one else seeing this? It's obvious?

by Anonymousreply 29September 24, 2017 4:05 AM

They are both very, very gay.

She was out just a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 30September 24, 2017 4:11 AM

His ex-wife was a mixed martial arts fighter? I had no idea.

Any tea on their break-up?

by Anonymousreply 31September 24, 2017 4:12 AM

The ex wife was a huge whore who became obsessed with MMA.

She was quite ugly, but always posted photos on public social media with fug MMA pseudopros hanging all over her.

It was obvious the relationship was doomed.

by Anonymousreply 32September 24, 2017 4:18 AM

A theme of his book was how he got recovered and got real, blah blah, and loves the gritty side of foodland, as well as its behind-the-scenes true heroes, and isn't taken in by glitz and glamor, blah blah. A rebel, a maverick, a blah blah. And then he turns out to be the shallowest fame whore ever.

by Anonymousreply 33September 24, 2017 4:27 AM

I'll never forgive him for breaking bread with those homophobic Rastafarian dirtbags on his Jamaica show, or with Ted Nugent, when he had his 'No Reservations' show...

by Anonymousreply 34September 24, 2017 4:32 AM

He is one of the biggest assholes in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 35September 24, 2017 4:34 AM

He rags on celebrity chefs, but then backtracks. At least Andrew Zimmer, douchebag he may be, sticks to his guns.

by Anonymousreply 36September 24, 2017 4:37 AM

I like her- she's smart and strong

I hate him- he's a douchey prick

It won't last- over by December!

by Anonymousreply 37September 24, 2017 5:21 AM

They’re both homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 38September 24, 2017 5:24 AM
by Anonymousreply 39October 10, 2017 5:39 PM

In light of recent events, this thread deserves a first or even second read.

I remember reading this thread and had no idea that it would end like this. My G*d! The relationship seemed doomed, but not THIS doomed.

I hope that Bourdain is somewhere chilling, drinking a beer, and pondering the irony of it all.

by Anonymousreply 40June 13, 2018 8:39 PM

Bourdain is a pile of ashes. He's not drinking anything, unless it's raining where his ashes are buried.

by Anonymousreply 41June 13, 2018 8:43 PM

R17 was eerily prescient.

by Anonymousreply 42June 13, 2018 8:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!