Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CCleaner Hacked - Was Distributing Malware For A Month Until Discovery

I know some of you use CCleaner and thought you'd want to know.

If you use a 32-bit system and downloaded CCleaner version 5.33 in August or September, you were likely infected with a trojan that is incredibly dangerous and difficult to get rid of.

I downloaded it myself but have a 64-bit system and thus the trojan didn't activate. For me, using Malwarebytes seems to have gotten rid of the problem, but you definitely need to scan your systems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2020 3:16 AM

thanks for this!!! i'm running a 64 so..... phew!

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2017 1:28 PM

Yikes! I have a 64 as well but I just uninstalled it.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2017 1:49 PM

Got a Mac. Don't need any of that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2017 2:02 PM

FAT MONGREL BITCHES

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2017 2:04 PM

r3

I use a chistle and stone, not only can't you get hacked, since you can't erase you learn never to make any mistakes

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2017 2:07 PM

Thankfully, I only use the 64-bit version. I also scan my system with Malwarebytes every now and then.

But I have to say, my heart skipped a beat when I saw CCleaner trending on Twitter today.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2017 3:24 PM

[quote] I use a chistle and stone,

What is a chistle?

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2017 3:34 PM

You don't need to use apps like CCleaner.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2017 3:44 PM

R8 Yes, you do if you don't want to clean each browser that you use individually, in addition to purging the temporary system files.

It makes a huge difference on older systems.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2017 3:50 PM

I use CCleaner more out of habit than anything, but I just uninstalled it after this. It wasn't necessary, you're right, but it was handy.

Even though the trojan I found ("Nyetya") supposedly wasn't doing anything per Security Task Manager, once I removed it and CCleaner after a full Malwarebytes scan and reboot, my PC is working faster. I'd noticed something was causing lag sometimes and I think it may have been this trojan trying to execute. Thank goodness I'm on a 64 bit system.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2017 4:21 PM

I love CCleaner but haven't used it in a long while

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2017 4:24 PM

[quote] my PC

Well, there's a problem.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2017 4:24 PM

I need a PC for my online job. Otherwise I wouldn't bother, honestly.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2017 4:28 PM

I can't imagine not having a PC. I've never had any problems, and that's way back from Windows 95 times.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2017 4:29 PM

If you want to use a tool like CCleaner, it's best used once, and then uninstalled until you need it again. Most apps that are one-use like that should be removed quickly. And be careful of turning on anything that auto-updates in the background - some of the antivirus will update hourly if you let it.

Avast owns CCleaner, so if you use any Avast products, look at them askance as well.

by Anonymousreply 15September 23, 2017 9:58 AM

R3 - on macs here. Got 2 viruses this summer. First time I've ever seen that. One was actively fucking things up.

by Anonymousreply 16September 23, 2017 10:45 AM

Yeah R3 Mac's "we never get viruses" claim hasn't been true for a number of years.

by Anonymousreply 17September 23, 2017 11:23 AM

Just get a Mac and don't look back

by Anonymousreply 18September 23, 2017 2:41 PM

Considering that Avast Antivirus now owns CCleaner, I can see why they kept hush about it - though it was still the wrong thing for them to do. But it definitely is an egg on their faces. How is anyone to trust them to protect their home computers, when the company can't even protect it's own servers?

by Anonymousreply 19September 23, 2017 2:52 PM

Give it some cough syrup

by Anonymousreply 20November 7, 2017 12:04 PM

Chinese did it

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2020 2:35 AM

Why are you digging up this three year old thread?

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2020 3:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!