Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Disney Renaissance

What killed it? Was it Herecules (which I loved)?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 17, 2021 5:02 AM

Hercules

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2017 6:39 PM

Eisner

Hate all the post Jungle Book shit

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2017 6:52 PM

Clint Eastwood killed it. If Frank Wells hadn't been going on a trip with him, he wouldn't have gone on that helicopter that wouldn't have crashed and wouldn't have killed him.

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2017 6:59 PM

I didn't know Ursula was inspired by Divine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2017 7:00 PM

Losing Howard Ashman to AIDS didn't help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2017 7:13 PM

Agreed, R5. As a lyrical craftsman, no one who worked for Disney could top him. Not even the Sherman Brothers.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2017 7:14 PM

Hunchback.

I worked on the Hercules style guide for merchandising and everyone in the department was complaining how they couldn't market an ugly hero such as Quasimodo. They had a big closet clean-out of products and such and Hunchback was the only thing left. Even the employees didn't want the crap.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2017 7:33 PM

[quote]I worked on the Hercules style guide for merchandising and everyone in the department was complaining how they couldn't market an ugly hero such as Quasimodo.

So much for there ever being [italic]Picture of Dorian Gray[/italic] action figures.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2017 7:48 PM

The brouhaha over the proposed Disney's America theme park and the controversy over [italic]Pocahontas[/italic] left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2017 7:50 PM

Remember that episode of [italic]The Golden Girls[/italic] where they spent the night at a homeless shelter? That was the same season Dorothy and Sophia went to Walt Disney World. Meanwhile, over in California, this is going on at a time when Disneyland has never been more expensive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2017 7:53 PM

Disney, Pixar (separate at the time), and DreamWorks realized that they could churn out 5, shitty CG films for the price of 1 hand drawn affair. The poor performance of the Princess and the Frog didn't help save drawn animation, either. They still had some hits like Frozen and the Incredibles, but overall, animated films are just low effort nowadays.

Disney also diverted resources into Marvel and LucasFilm, both of which are paying off massively.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2017 8:02 PM

Pocahontas killed it. Colors of the Wind was a shitty theme song. Very bland follow up to The Lion King. They should've stopped with there and called it a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2017 8:14 PM

R7 You must have some amazing stories.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2017 8:21 PM

The Death of Howard Ashman and the creation of Pixar is what ultimately lead to the death of the Disney Renaissance. Without Howard Ashman, the musicals were shit. And then computer animation came and stole the thunder from handrawn animation. I will always prefer handrawn animation though. Especially with people like Miyazaki out there.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2017 11:00 PM

In what universe should Quasimodo be attractive and cute?? His ugliness is the whole raison d'etre for the damn story ignoramuses!

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2017 11:05 PM

One must presume that Disney procured significantly more Esmeralda figures for sale than Quasimodo figures. The ratio was just off, likely.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2017 11:16 PM

Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame are two of the richest and most satisfying musicals of the Disney Renaissance, eclipsing The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid in vocal performances, songwriting and artwork. Alan Menken finally hit his stride.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2017 11:22 PM

Alan Menken writes repetitive shit. That's why he needs a good collaborator like Ashman to be successful.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2017 11:55 PM

Young children from what I'm told prefer the computer animation.

Hand drawn animation might as well be a movie in black and white.

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2017 11:57 PM

[quote]Alan Menken writes repetitive shit

Whatever do you mean, r18?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2017 12:09 AM

[quote]Alan Menken writes repetitive shit. That's why he needs a good collaborator like Ashman to be successful.

And as demonstrated by Pocahontas, Hunchback and The Prince of Egypt, Steven Schwartz was every bit Ashman's equal.

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2017 12:14 AM

R16 I had an Esmeralda Barbie doll. She was fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2017 12:30 AM

The many DTV sequels.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2017 12:36 AM

Not sure how popular it is with others, but I love the song from Tarzan, "You'll Be In My Heart", sung by Phil Collins.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2017 12:58 AM

With the exception of outlier, The Lion King, I've hated every modern Disney film. The music is pedestrian, repetitive and turgid. The old musicals used to dip playfully in different genres, be full of hooks, melody and character. In short, they were written to endure beyond a transient appeal to preschool girls.

Disney lost its magic a long time ago, in line with most cinema.

And no, I'm not an elder.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2017 12:59 AM

Remember when they inserted jokes for adults?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2017 1:03 AM

It was Bob Iger that completely sold the studio upriver. The man is disgusting. As soon as he became CEO, he decided that all animated films would be filmed as live action. Plus he got rid of hand drawn animation. He turned the parks into Fat Paradise for fraus and their ilk. I used to love Disney, but now I don't care anymore.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2017 1:14 AM

[quote]As a lyrical craftsman, no one who worked for Disney could top him.

I did, r6.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2017 2:16 AM

[quote]Steven Schwartz was every bit Ashman's equal.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2017 2:19 AM

[quote]He turned the parks into Fat Paradise for fraus and their ilk.

The parks were built to cater to them, so don't blame Iger for that. Any adult who complains about kids at Disneyland is a bit delusional, to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2017 6:39 PM

Thanks, Obama

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2017 7:36 PM

toy story was the end of Disneys hand-drawn animated films.

I think CGI worked for toy story because the toys looked realistic, but I hate the way humans and animals look in computer-animation. It feels like your watching a video game.

The old hand-drawn cartoons were like watching a fairytale book illustration come to life. They were living works of art. Sadly those days are over.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2017 7:56 PM

Computer animated films are now the inspiration for Broadway musicals.

What a world! What a world!

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2017 8:02 PM

R24 At the time, I was rooting for "Blame Canada" from the South Park movie for the Best Song Oscar. I still think it should have won.

by Anonymousreply 34January 1, 2021 5:17 AM

Lion KIng. Aladdin and Mermaid were probably their last “good” recent movies but they were still artless and formulaic. Disney needs to be broken up soon along with big tech or they will suck all the life and creativity out of humanity. I’m only half kidding.

by Anonymousreply 35January 1, 2021 8:31 AM

The thing was The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast were so good because of the stories, the talent (of course, Ashman), the beautiful animation, two fantastic heroines, that everything after with the exception of maybe Aladdin and The Lion King couldn't measure up.

I do love Princess and the Frog, though. It's a shame it didn't kickstart a renaissance for hand-drawn animation. I prefer it over Tangled or Frozen.

by Anonymousreply 36January 1, 2021 9:03 AM

100% agree, R25

by Anonymousreply 37January 1, 2021 10:44 AM

OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 1, 2021 11:05 AM

Ursula is the one of the most compelling villains to ever appear on screen

by Anonymousreply 39June 13, 2021 11:58 PM

That’s why Disney is working on Ursula, after Cruella’s success.

by Anonymousreply 40June 14, 2021 12:11 AM

Jeffrey Katzenberg's departure had a lot to do with it. Frank Wells's death, as mentioned upthread, seemed to destabilize the top of the company, too.

Highly recommend James B. Stewart's DISNEYWAR if you're interested in the Eisner years.

by Anonymousreply 41June 14, 2021 12:12 AM

Culture change. Disney tried to follow the action-adventure route with Atlantis, but DreamWorks completely overshadowed with Shrek, who shaped a new paradigm for Western animated movies.

by Anonymousreply 42June 14, 2021 12:19 AM

[quote]Not sure how popular it is with others, but I love the song from Tarzan, "You'll Be In My Heart", sung by Phil Collins.

I despise that song. Fuck Phil Collins!

by Anonymousreply 43June 14, 2021 12:20 AM

I did.

by Anonymousreply 44June 14, 2021 1:22 AM

Stop watching baby movies.

by Anonymousreply 45June 14, 2021 1:28 AM

Hunchback.

I worked at Disney doing the style guide for Hercules and they had tons of Hunchback merch they couldn't give away, even to the employees.

by Anonymousreply 46June 14, 2021 1:58 AM

Just be glad Disney animation didn’t die with [italic]The Black Cauldron[/italic]. That was the ultimate coulda-shoulda-woulda for the studio in the early 1980s. Maybe the film would’ve been less of a flop if they hadn’t cut it as much as they did, I don’t know. Either way, its fate was sealed once Ron Miller resigned in disgrace after the Saul Steinberg debacle that almost broke the company up back then.

by Anonymousreply 47June 14, 2021 2:08 AM

I know I'm an outlier, but for me it was The Lion King. I was 12 when it came out and it was the first film i found so boring I slept through most of it. Also, to this day I hate the songs.

by Anonymousreply 48June 14, 2021 2:15 AM

I don’t remember a thing about Hunchback. Not one song, not one scene but I can recite all the songs of the other movies. It definitely was a break from their usual films. Hercules was another outlier. They finally returned to form with Mulan and Tarzan and then kaput, nothing ever since.

by Anonymousreply 49June 14, 2021 2:38 AM

The Great Mouse Detective is probably their most underrated work from their "dark" period.

by Anonymousreply 50June 14, 2021 2:43 AM

Hunchback wasn't a flop. Not even close. It wasn't a huge success like Aladdin and The Lion King, but still was the fifth highest grossing movie of 1996. Hercules can be considered a little underperformance, but Mulan (1998) and Tarzan (1999) were two undeniable successes. After that things started to go wrong.

by Anonymousreply 51June 14, 2021 2:53 AM

What made them think that another Winnie the Pooh movie would single-handedly bring back traditional animation when TV animation had already done everything they could to run that particular franchise into the ground?

It wasn’t terrible, all things considered. It had songs by the same people who went on the road the score for [italic]Frozen[/italic]. But Disney set it up to fail on purpose by scheduling its release directly up against the latest Harry Potter movie. They knew darn well the two adaptations of British children’s literature would cannibalize each other.

by Anonymousreply 52June 14, 2021 3:04 AM

On the road = onto write

by Anonymousreply 53June 14, 2021 3:05 AM

I'm a huge fan of hand-drawn animation. Watercolor backgrounds are beautiful and feels serene and nostalgic. I also find drawn faces are much more expressive and emotional than the cold, plastic-y look of CGI. I love works by Miyazaki and older Japanese animators.

by Anonymousreply 54June 14, 2021 3:13 AM

R41, I second this recommendation, although I lost interest in the story around the time of Ovitz shows up. Losing Katzenberg killed it. He was an asshole but he was an uncompromising asshole who got people to work at their highest level. Combine that with Eisner’s taste level and Wells’ managerial style, it was the perfect chemistry, although Eisner had turned on Katzenberg by the time Wells died.

The influence of Nickelodeon also hurt it. Disney movies had a class and elegance to them. The goofy jokes made Disney seem trashier and less essential.

by Anonymousreply 55June 14, 2021 3:26 AM

[quote] The goofy jokes made Disney seem trashier and less essential.

Watch it.

by Anonymousreply 56June 14, 2021 3:32 AM

Eisner makes a big deal about Katzenberg’s behavior around Wells’ passing, but he was never going to give him Wells’ job. He was embarrassed by Katzenberg and found him gauche and tacky. For Katzenberg, it was a bitter loss because it was the carrot at the end of the stick that was dangled for him to stay.

by Anonymousreply 57June 14, 2021 3:47 AM

Katzenberg had to sue Disney to get the bonus compensation he was owed. David Geffen even intervened to help Katzenberg.

by Anonymousreply 58June 14, 2021 3:49 AM

Hunchback may have been too dark for a kid's movie, but the opening song "The Bells of Notre Dame" is one of my favorite pieces of Disney music.

by Anonymousreply 59June 14, 2021 4:13 AM

They should bring Song of the South to Broadway. (Talk about your Great White Way😬)

by Anonymousreply 60June 14, 2021 4:27 AM

It was more than just Michael Eisner who had a problem with Jeffrey Katzenberg. Roy E. Disney especially grew to dislike him and said that he would start a proxy fight if he got Frank Wells’s job.

by Anonymousreply 61June 14, 2021 4:34 AM

Roy E. Disney eventually had problems with everyone, including, most famously, Michael Eisner.

by Anonymousreply 62June 14, 2021 5:17 AM

Eisner brought his downfall on himself. He learned every wrong lesson from the first 10 years he spent at Disney. Putting retail people in charge of the theme parks is a mistake the company is still paying for to this day.

by Anonymousreply 63June 14, 2021 7:20 AM

Aladdin and the little mermaid were masterpieces which are hard to top. The lion king, finding Nemo and beauty and the beast were also excellent films.

Technology rules today and hand drawn animation is viewed as old fashioned and expensive to create. Pixar films really came in and took over after the success of toy story and monsters inc.

by Anonymousreply 64June 14, 2021 2:16 PM

Why did everything stop after Tarzan? Why didn’t they try to make more movies?

by Anonymousreply 65June 14, 2021 10:19 PM

They did, R85, but they cost more than they made so they switched to digital to follow the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 66June 15, 2021 3:42 AM

Wasn’t the next big movie after Tarzan The Frog Princess? That was 10 years later, 1999 and 2009. Then Tangled came out a year later and they never went back to hand drawn.

by Anonymousreply 67June 15, 2021 5:20 PM

People are forgetting that there were a solid number of animated features between Tarzan and Princess and the Frog. There was Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Lilo and Stitch, Brother Bear…

Yeah exactly. It took them a while to run out of goodwill from the Renaissance and the misses piled way up.

by Anonymousreply 68June 17, 2021 4:04 AM

[quote] There was Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Lilo and Stitch, Brother Bear…

Shudders...

by Anonymousreply 69June 17, 2021 4:06 AM

[quote] There was Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Lilo and Stitch, Brother Bear…

But those are second tier movies, not the flagship Princess/Fairytale movies. Those hardly count.

by Anonymousreply 70June 17, 2021 5:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!