Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kevyn Aucoin: Beauty & the Beast in Me

Did anyone watch it? He went through hell growing up as a gay adopted kid in Lafayette, Louisiana. Some kids even tried to kill him with a pickup truck. He hit the big time beautifying a bevy of the most famous women in the world fom various facets of show business, but could never escape the demons of his childhood. An inspiring and, ultimately, tragic story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152February 6, 2019 4:16 PM

Ugh. Logo? Pass.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2017 12:50 AM

I met him several times, sweet guy, hung like a mule.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2017 12:59 AM

I haven't seen him in a while. Did his acromegalic skull finally burst?

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2017 1:02 AM

He died several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2017 1:06 AM

Poor guy.

Fashion and beauty industries seem like a terrible place for fragile, unhappy people like Aucoin and McQueen. Someone with a miserable childhood isn't going to find mental health among nasty, superficial people.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2017 1:10 AM

one of my most favorite belongings is a signed copy of Face Forward.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2017 1:15 AM

He was truly talented. All the ladies loved him. It was cool hearing Winona Ryder and Liza call his answering service and seeing him being besties with the likes of Janet Jackson, Andie MacDowell, Cher, Whitney Houston, etc.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2017 1:53 AM

Why is this doc coming 15 years after his death? He's been gone a long time now.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2017 5:46 AM

I didn't know he died from an overdose of pills, at the time they made it seem it was because of the tumor

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2017 3:49 PM

I thought he had the butt bug.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2017 4:41 PM

He committed suicide. That's been known for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2017 5:19 PM

It was sad. He was actually extremely lucky that he was adopted even though it pained him his whole life. Hit birth mother turned out to be a super christian "see you next tuesday" who told him if she had raised him he would not have "turned out gay." She was AWFUL. And he couldn't let any of that go and just be happy. He spent his life trying to get love and approval, even though he was surrounded by people who DID love him. A typical story of a lot of people though, not just famous or gay folks.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2017 5:19 PM

I just watched the documentary, it was exquisite. I can't believe it's taken this long for a documentary to be released about Kevyn.

And I wholeheartedly agree with R5. I worked as a makeup artist for some time, I met some of the coldest and soulless people you can imagine. I got the hell out of that business although I still love the artistry of makeup.

The sad thing is that, the really good makeup artists are true ARTISTS who possess all the sensitivity that comes along with it, those types don't last in the industry long. But all the face painters who only want to be close to the rich and famous usually go far because they're cut throat. And now with social media infiltrating the beauty business, it's more about being a makeup celebrity than an actual makeup artist.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2017 6:43 AM

When I was a very young gay, Kevin was the most glamorous gay I could think of. His story was so amazing and he seemed like he was so much fun. My fantasy was that Keven was my best friend and Isaac Mizrahi was my fat gay buddy's best friend. We would cross paths as they headed up to Fred's to eat at Barneys, while Keven and I went downstairs to do blow. I was devastated when he passed. A beautiful, driven, accomplished soul.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2017 7:28 AM

He was really an amazing talent. I would love to see this.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2017 9:35 AM

[quote]I met him several times, sweet guy, hung like a mule.

Really? I always found him to be incredibly sexy.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2017 11:16 AM

[quote]We would cross paths as they headed up to Fred's to eat at Barneys

You were dining with the Flintstones?

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2017 12:07 PM

R15 You can watch the documentary on the Logo TV website. You choose your cable provider to watch it but if you don't have cable you can get a 24 hour free pass to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2017 6:47 PM

This doc had me crying. Kevyn's life, the footage of whitney and robin, all the models when that world was at its most glamorous. It's all so fucking sad. Kevyn was lucky that he got to experience that first hand before it was all over. Fashion is dead, modeling is dead, Vouge is dead.

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2017 11:54 PM

It was like a time capsule. They were hamming it up for the cameras like the internet would never exist. I thought it was profoundly touching that Robyn Crawford sat for a new interview to talk about Kevyn just for this documentary. She has avoided the camera all of her life.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2017 12:07 AM

Kevyn's magic on the lovely Winona. Look closely: the subtly highlighted inner corners of her eyes are Kevyn's trademark, as is the subtly highlighted tip of her nose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2017 12:17 AM

I used to know Kevyn back in the day and hooked up with him quite a few times at his place in Chelsea. He was sweet but clearly rather insecure about his looks and a little messed up when it came to drugs. I lost touch with him a year or so before he died (my understanding at the time was that he was seeing some young guy who was possessive and a bit jealous), so it was a bit of a shock when I heard that he had passed. I remember at the time the official story was that it was due to some kind of tumor, which I never completely bought. I haven't really kept up with how that story might have changed over the years, so I wasn't aware that now he's said to have committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2017 12:35 AM

We certainly appreciated him.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2017 12:40 AM

Missed it. LOGO should show a repeat instead of endless Three's Company and Fact of Life reruns.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2017 12:54 AM

I like this Liza look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2017 1:13 AM

[quote] He hit the big time beautifying a bevy of the most famous women in the world fom various facets of show business, but could never escape the demons of his childhood.

The poor dear!

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2017 1:28 AM

I idolized this man

Sorry to hear that he committed suicide--I thought it was a brain tumor

RIP

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2017 1:46 AM

Hung like a mule?

Photos?

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2017 1:49 AM

He didn't commit suicide.

He died accidentally from an overload of acetiminophen toxicity--he used so many painkillers over the years (because of his acromegaly) that he died from them.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2017 2:33 AM

[quote] It's all so fucking sad. Kevyn was lucky that he got to experience that first hand before it was all over. Fashion is dead, modeling is dead, Vouge is dead.

But Anna the Cat is alive! ALIVE!

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2017 2:35 AM

His birth mother was a cold bitch. She was devastated that her own parents rejected her for having premarital sex but she had no problems rejecting her own son because he was gay. What an idiot.

If I were his adoptive parents, i'd be hurt that he went looking for his birth mother. His adoptive parents seemed like sweet, kind, accepting people.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2017 7:33 PM

I worked with him on a few photoshoots when I worked at L'Oreal in NYC. Nice talented guy and great to work with.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2017 7:50 PM

I can't believe I've missed this documentary; I'm a Kevyn fan from way back. When was it aired and on which network?

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2017 7:58 PM

He is seen in the background during the Jack/Cher faceoff in that Will & Grace episode. She starts to sit down at his table before confronting Jack again. Don't know the other guy at the table.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2017 8:14 PM

It aired on LOGO and will likely be repeating soon.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2017 8:18 PM

Really? Really? He died ages ago and he was never hawt.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2017 8:36 PM

R21, she looks wall eyed there.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2017 8:38 PM

Its always sad when your parents, the ones who are supposed to love you unconditionally, feel compelled to judge and reject you when you don't turn out the way they wanted. Despite any and all the success you may have had. It sucks

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2017 8:46 PM

R21 I like how you broke down the look and made sure we noticed the important parts that made his artistry stand out from the crowd. I've always read that he was an amazing make up artist, but it's nice to have someone break down exactly what he did that was so groundbreaking. Pick another one of his looks and do it again.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2017 8:57 PM

He also had a cameo in Zoolander, applying Zoolander's makeup for the ultimate show. Kevyn's makeup is completely different than the finished look. Kevyn is on the left, Frederic Fekkai is on the right:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2017 9:10 PM

R39 - This technique is his most memorable technique; to date it's now copied by every make-up artist, world wide.

To give my eyes a 'refreshed sparkle,' at any given time of the day, I apply a subtle highlighter to said areas. Blend well, yet delicately. (I use a delicate, dry tapered make-up brush to apply; or in a pinch, my fourth finger. During this application process, 'tap' gently to apply.) Works for men, too.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2017 9:24 PM

Another of Kevyn's techniques: when enhancing the brows, the critical area of enhancing and framing the eyes, the inner corner of the brows are never as dark as the primary brow area: though the brows are enhanced, this technique achieves a more 'youthful,' less 'made-up' appearance. See R21.

by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2017 9:34 PM

did he have the same skull disease as the Eric Stoltz character in "Mask"?

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2017 10:05 PM

A classic film goddess from the '40's . . note the subtle highlighted techniques.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2017 10:46 PM

[quote]Why is this doc coming 15 years after his death? He's been gone a long time now.

Because his personal tapes became available. Even Paltrow said she forgot about him always having a camera in his hand and she was excited to see the footage. The Birth Mother was a nightmare, "I didn't want this man, I wanted the baby I gave up" deserved a kick in the head. How did no one ever direct him to a good therapist to at least try to get over his abandonment issues. Seems everyone failed him.

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2017 12:00 AM

His parents are delightful and the scenes with his father were very moving. Kevyn was a supernova that went out too soon.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2017 2:40 AM

Here he turned Martha Stewart into Veronica Lake..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 21, 2017 2:47 AM

Turned Susan Sarandon into Bette Davis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 21, 2017 2:49 AM

[quote]I met him several times, sweet guy, hung like a mule.

Not surprising...he had BDF for days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 21, 2017 3:00 AM

[quote]Not surprising...he had BDF for days.

Dude he had disease that made is hand, face and feet grow, nothing else. There were shots of him in tightie whities in docu and nothing stood out.

by Anonymousreply 50September 21, 2017 3:07 AM

Kevyn did the makeup for all 3 ladies on this Rolling Stone cover (Courtney Love, Tina Turner, Madonna).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 21, 2017 4:13 AM

Kevyn Aucoin with Courtney Love, Tina Turner and Madonna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 21, 2017 4:16 AM

[quote]Robyn Crawford sat for a new interview to talk about Kevyn just for this documentary. She has avoided the camera all of her life.

Whitney Houston's ex-girlfriend? That Robyn? If so, yeah Kevyn must have a been a pretty great guy, because that lady sure is reclusive.

by Anonymousreply 53September 21, 2017 4:28 AM

I must admit I had never heard of Kevyn Aucoin before watching this documentary. I was only interested in watching the female celebrities in the trailer. Kevyn worked with the biggest of that era (Whitney Houston, Cher, Tina Turner, Gwyneth Paltrow, Winona Ryder, Jennifer Lopez, and many more).

I ended up being intrigued and fascinated by his story. He was the best in his field and was friendly with all these huge celebrities. Yet underneath it all, he was a very sad and unhappy man.

The saddest part for me was when Kevyn went to meet his birth mother. She turned out to be a very homophobic woman. She flat out told him: "If I had raised you, you would not be doing makeup, and you would not be gay."

Kevyn later said: "She rejected me twice."

by Anonymousreply 54September 21, 2017 4:37 AM

Here's a clip from the documentary featuring Robyn Crawford. For those who don't know, Robyn Crawford was Whitney Houston's alleged lesbian lover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 21, 2017 4:50 AM

He seemed like a sweet guy.

by Anonymousreply 56September 21, 2017 7:09 AM

Not attractive by any stretch and even that is being kind.. That was probably the reason for his unhappiness more so than any perceived rejection nonsense with his birth mother.

by Anonymousreply 57September 21, 2017 12:22 PM

Why R57? Is attractiveness all that matters to gay men?

by Anonymousreply 58September 21, 2017 1:08 PM

Janet Jackson was Kevyn's muse. He worked with her through most of the '90s and said that hers was the most beautiful face he'd ever seen without makeup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 22, 2017 12:42 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 22, 2017 12:43 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 22, 2017 12:43 AM

He turned her into Dorothy Dandridge for his book Making Faces

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 22, 2017 12:44 AM

Whoops, here it is

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 22, 2017 12:45 AM

It looks more like he turned her into La Toya. And some of you say he was nice...

by Anonymousreply 64September 22, 2017 1:07 AM

I only knew of him from his cameo on Strangers With Candy (l think he did Jerri's dad's coffin makeup when he died). I think Kevyn was kind of cute for a big giant guy.

by Anonymousreply 65September 22, 2017 1:13 AM

Robyn and Whitney were indeed a couple, 8-11 years worth. Have some respect for these two women and the struggles they endured - this is a gay website.

Kevyn apparently was having problems with his homophobic birth mothers bullshit was able to find support and comfort with Robyn and Whitney - who similarly had endured a decade of Cissy's hate by then. That Robyn went so far as to address the subject of Her own adopted children, the many forms families can take and that you love your childre no matter what - pretty much reflects her experience. In this case she was surrounded by 2 people that were condemned by their mothers for being gay or bisexual - Robyn of course came from a loving non judgmental family it seems. Watching Kevyn hanging with Whitney during that period was glaring. The editors knew what they were doing - Whitney was less vulnerable than Kevyn with her reliable partner and millions - but the pain of judgment was the same.

by Anonymousreply 66September 22, 2017 1:14 AM

Who knew Jan-bot has MAN HANDS !!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 22, 2017 1:21 AM

Less vulnerable? Whitney married Bobby Fucking Brown!

by Anonymousreply 68September 22, 2017 1:22 AM

[quote]Robyn Crawford was Whitney Houston's alleged lesbian lover.

Honey, they were DYKES. There is nothing "alleged" about it.

by Anonymousreply 69September 22, 2017 1:22 AM

You've got to like someone named "Kevin on the Corner".

by Anonymousreply 70September 22, 2017 1:31 AM

[quote]Who knew Jan-bot has MAN HANDS !!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 22, 2017 1:45 AM

[quote]He turned her into Dorothy Dandridge for his book Making Faces.

No, he didn't.

by Anonymousreply 72September 22, 2017 2:00 AM

Yeah, he did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 22, 2017 2:08 AM

And for her Twenty Foreplay video as well...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 22, 2017 2:10 AM

Whitney looked so happy and comfortable at r55's clip. I watched the Showtime doc so it's a nice change. It's clear Robyn really cared about her.

by Anonymousreply 75September 22, 2017 2:10 AM

Tracey Ullman dedicated her HBO Ruby Romaine special to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 22, 2017 2:21 AM

very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 77September 22, 2017 2:32 AM

Ruby Romaine!

by Anonymousreply 78September 22, 2017 2:45 AM

I wished he could have seen the true love he had from his adoptive parents and could have stopped have obsessing over his birth family.

Isidore clearly loved him and was proud of him. He and Thelma walked away from the Catholic Church because of their stance on gays and lesbians.

Seeing Robin on there. WOW!!!

by Anonymousreply 79September 22, 2017 3:27 AM

I have always wondered if Whitney knew about Robyn & Lisa's children. I think she must have. Robyn said herself when asked about Whitneys engagement "Whitney has always wanted children." No doubt that if Houston had found the strength to have a daughter or son with Crawford - they would all be fairing better.

by Anonymousreply 80September 22, 2017 4:07 AM

R79 Isidore standing up the church community in a small southern town no less. These are people capable of genuine love, Proof that families of choice are often so much better than usual. Authentic is the word I am looking for. Robyns Family - genuine, authentic and Filled with love.

by Anonymousreply 81September 22, 2017 4:09 AM

I think he was very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 82September 24, 2017 9:42 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 83June 3, 2018 7:21 AM

Just saw this documentary. Was really saddened by it. Kevyn was so talented and so tormented. Fame is one of the factors that destroyed him, which hasn't been mentioned above. He was changed by it, like most are, and went from a darling to a person who refused to show up on set and became insufferable to work with when he chose to work.

Would like to hear more from any who crossed paths with him in his brief life. He was a true artist - a magic man.

by Anonymousreply 84June 3, 2018 7:27 AM

The sad truth is that no matter how amazing, great, and successful your life is now you will never be able to really enjoy it when you hold on to the painful past.

by Anonymousreply 85June 3, 2018 7:33 AM

See r47. Only a genius could transform Martha into a "thing of beauty". Dang!

by Anonymousreply 86June 3, 2018 7:34 AM

Available to buy on iTunes for 2.99

by Anonymousreply 87June 3, 2018 7:52 AM

The saddest thing about Kevyn is he made the mistake of thinking that he would find out who he was by reuniting with the birth mother who abandoned him. The documentary depicts this in such a heartbreaking way as it follows his journey in the sequence that it unfolded for Kevyn. And he was obsessive about filming...everything. The birth mother greets him and takes him into her fold initially - and we see all this on film - only to cruelly reject him for being gay shortly thereafter. Instead of learning about who he was, he was faced with the hard fact that his "blood" were the worst kind of people.

I thought, of all the models and celebrities, Paulina Porizkova comes off as the most sensitive and caring by far. Apparently, she related to Kevyn's pain and his feeling ( verified by his many boyfriend's) that all the love one can give is never enough. Goop, of course, comes off as the empty, robotic, narcissistic cunt that she is.

by Anonymousreply 88June 3, 2018 8:00 AM

Was he close to his adopted parents even though he wanted to meet his birth mother? They seem to have been very loving and devoted to him.

by Anonymousreply 89June 3, 2018 8:34 AM

I really want to see the documentary, R88, but it’s curious that you say Gwyneth Paltrow is robotic and narcissistic. I remember seeing Kevyn on Oprah back in the day and it featured a clip of him talking about how, with his work with Gwyneth, it was ‘a real love thing’ or words to that effect, he clearly adored her.

Speaking of narcissism, he made Oprah into Diana Ross and she was obsessed with her appearance for the.whole.show.

by Anonymousreply 90June 3, 2018 9:03 AM

R90 Goop is shown most prominently in the documentary talking in hindsight when the documentary was made (2016? 2017?). We don't see much of the young Goop. She comes off as very cold and phony IMO, but I am sure that Kevyn adored her. He loved them all as much as any gay man can love a woman. He idolized them. And to most of them, he was just "narcissistic supply". So sad.

by Anonymousreply 91June 3, 2018 5:30 PM

I always thought he was very sexy. I would have hooked up with him in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 92June 3, 2018 5:45 PM

I saw him on 23rd Street one afternoon and we had interesting eye contact. He was very sexy. This was in the 90s. I also wanted to say how talented Tracey Ullman is - comedy, drama, singing, dancing, mimic. Her husband died a couple of years ago, she has two children.

by Anonymousreply 93June 3, 2018 7:25 PM

I didn't like Cher's makeup on the Will & Grace episode - she looked too pale and overdone.

by Anonymousreply 94June 3, 2018 7:49 PM

The story about Kevyn after he died and his relationship with his last BF and his family, from New York Magazine. It’s a 5 pager, but worth reading if you’re a fan. I’ve yet to see the documentary which I am sure has more current information.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 3, 2018 8:47 PM

An example of the pain that drives people to succeed. Clearly a traumatized overgrown child who worked hard to compensate. Not unexpected path to drug addiction - especially given the physical pain of his disease. A shame since he seemed to be a decent person - a rarity in fashion.

by Anonymousreply 96June 3, 2018 8:55 PM

New documentary now on Hulu! I'd never heard of this guy before but just watched it yesterday...I cried. I love that Cher diagnosed him!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 26, 2018 7:06 PM

BUMPITY

BUMP

BUMP

BUMP

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 98January 18, 2019 2:06 PM

Had an aquaintance that knew Kevyn. Said he was one of the nicest people he'd ever met. To me he was a magician. Truly magic and magical.

by Anonymousreply 99January 18, 2019 2:15 PM

Haven’t seen Larger than Life (2018) yet, but just saw Beauty and the Beast Within (2017) yesterday. Superb and tragic filmmaking. The narrative unfolds like fiction. Gorgeous models, big celebrities, great interviews.

Paulina (love her) got the fame piece exactly right—don’t try to cure unhappiness with fame— but the British model (not Naomi, forget her name) got the adopted piece exactly right.

PS I would hate to be the MUA doing the older models for that documentary, none of them, except Cindy, looked good, 20-30 years after the height of their fame.

Why are models so plain now?

by Anonymousreply 100January 18, 2019 2:21 PM

All of the women turned their backs on him when he became messy. Even Cher

by Anonymousreply 101January 18, 2019 2:51 PM

Yeah that was noticeable in the doc. But who knows the whole story. Maybe friends were begging him to get help, and he refused. Or longtime clients wd pay him, and he just wouldn’t show up.

There were female voices among the messages on his answering machine, asking him where is he, why hasn’t he called back, when he was found in his house upstate, and taken to the hospital. So he did have friends.

by Anonymousreply 102January 18, 2019 3:35 PM

The Beauty and the Beast Within is on Netflix. The logo movie is for rent or purchase. Pffft.

by Anonymousreply 103January 18, 2019 6:21 PM

Whoops Beauty and the Beast in Me is the Logo film and is available on netflix. kevyn Aucoin: Larger than Life is available to rent or buy on xfinity.

by Anonymousreply 104January 18, 2019 6:27 PM

Ok, Just watched. GOOP was clearly his worst friend. Paulina seemed to actually care about him.

by Anonymousreply 105January 18, 2019 10:52 PM

Larger than Life is on Hulu.

by Anonymousreply 106January 18, 2019 11:01 PM

"Making Faces" was a great DIY makeup handbook.

I didn't know he had acromegaly. What an awful thing to have when you're in the beauty business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 18, 2019 11:16 PM

I appreciated Paltrow’s honesty though. At least she admitted she wasn’t there for him.

by Anonymousreply 108January 18, 2019 11:21 PM

Didn't he direct "The Day After That" video for Liza and World AIDS Day?

by Anonymousreply 109January 18, 2019 11:45 PM

Kevin was a very complex but simple person.

I know that doesn't make a lot of sense. He was an ugly duckling (so he thought) whose sole purpose was to make beautiful people even more so. It fed him and killed him.

I had a moment with him at Yamashiro in L.A. There's a pool with an old temple on the grounds that overlooks one of the greatest views in L.A.

Kind, gentle and so far in over his head he was drowning.

I'm glad this is being discussed. They all turned their backs but I kinda know why they did.

& P.S. he stole the "eye thing" from Way Bandy.

Kind, sad and funny.

by Anonymousreply 110January 19, 2019 12:26 AM

[quote] He was changed by it, like most are, and went from a darling to a person who refused to show up on set and became insufferable to work with when he chose to work.

did fame do that? or drugs

by Anonymousreply 111January 19, 2019 12:55 AM

A combo.

by Anonymousreply 112January 19, 2019 1:40 AM

BHmanny thank you for the best scoop on DL in ages. If you have any more stories or observations I'd love to hear them!

by Anonymousreply 113January 19, 2019 1:44 AM

I was around him with work over about a ten year period...he was a nice guy and everyone did love him but he did develop a drug problem and it became too much for people to be around....it was pretty obvious he was going to die if he didn’t clean up....the bad side of having access to money/fame is that people clean up your messes....

by Anonymousreply 114January 19, 2019 1:55 AM

Thank you r113.

And btw, I was never really a manny. I worked for Meshulem Riklis. Interesting man.

Still thankful I got out.

by Anonymousreply 115January 19, 2019 2:22 AM

Death was a release for him. He was so unhappy. His birth mother who was so important to him was a total nightmare without hope(she's fucking at fifteen, getting knocked up and then reproaches him for being gay saying she would have beat it out of him because the bible is the arbiter of all things?!! Maybe her father should have beat the shit out of her for being a teen whore.)

His whole purpose for being was physical beauty and its enhancement and his disease was making him physically ugly and grotesque aside from the physical pain it was causing him. He really was going to do nothing but suffer further.

by Anonymousreply 116January 19, 2019 2:31 AM

R110, I remember Way Bandy, he was the first makeup artist I ever heard of, but I never studied the tricks of any particular one. After the comments above about the highlighter in the corners of the eyes being something KA invented, I kind of doubted it. There's another thread about Debbie Harry's Warhol polaroids and she has the same highlight going on...I don't think KA could have done her makeup for that shoot. The woman who used to do the makeup part of the make over on What Not to Wear did the same thing and claimed it as her trademark trick.

by Anonymousreply 117January 19, 2019 4:05 AM

R115 during the Pia Zadora years? If so, please dish!!

by Anonymousreply 118January 20, 2019 7:51 PM

And Pickfair. Don't forget that mess.

by Anonymousreply 119January 20, 2019 8:18 PM

I love Aucoin's Making Faces--the transformations of actors into actors of different eras is astonishing--and nonjudgmental. He loved beautiful faces, but he also saw beauty where a lot of people don't. It made it possible for him to see how Isabella Rossellini could be turned into Barbra Streisand--because, to him, both women were beautiful.

Such a shame that he was in pain and had such terrible nonreconciliation with his birth mother.

by Anonymousreply 120January 20, 2019 9:09 PM

Just watched this on Netflix and was horrified and how the birth mother situation turned out. But you got a sense that something was wrong when she talked about how she refused to marry this man who offered to bring up Kevyn as his own, but then a couple months after she gave Kevyn up she did marry the guy, immediately had a kid with him and named that kid Kevin. That was creepy.

By the time she got around to saying that she would have whooped his ass and beaten the gay out of him and refused to let him become a makeup artist, I was so over her. Here he is, making a terrific living doing something amazing, being one of the best in his field, and she thought she should have beaten it out of him when he was a kid. For what? So he could live in a crappy run-down ranch with whole bunch of nasty tchotchkes from Branson, like she did?

I'm going to be stealing about this for days.

by Anonymousreply 121January 29, 2019 10:37 AM

* STEWING about this, not stealing

by Anonymousreply 122January 29, 2019 10:38 AM

FWIW, there's more about his bio mom in Larger Than Life -- she's not interviewed but a friend of Kevyn's mentions her fundie anti-gay beliefs, and you can see in a letter they show on screen that she found a gay conversion therapist for Kevyn. Also, there was a hint that she started asking for money.

Kevyn is shown as having a really good relationship with his adopted parents.

by Anonymousreply 123January 29, 2019 12:03 PM

Is there more information on his birth father? Just watched the doc on Hulu. Such a shame he died so young.

by Anonymousreply 124January 29, 2019 12:10 PM

His adoptive dad seemed really sweet, it’s a shame they spent so much screen time on the bitch from hell birth mother (who, btw, gave me closeted vibes).

I’m glad, but surprised, to hear from people on the thread how nice he really was (in the doc it indicated he started turning into a diva towards the end).

I had his book as a kid and it was magical. The transformations he did were amazing.

by Anonymousreply 125January 29, 2019 12:27 PM

The bio-mom sounds like a piece of work, but she also sounds like the product of her environment when ignorance and fear override critical thinking. The story of how she faked her period while being pregnant at 15 pretty much sets the tone.

It’s a fascinating documentary thanks in part to all the home video and answering machine tapes. In a perhaps odd way I also see this doc as the universal story of all the many guys and gals who grew up in similar situations and never found true happiness in the end, but are nameless.

by Anonymousreply 126February 3, 2019 9:32 AM

I knew Kevyn in the 90s. Kind, gentle giant, and yes hung for days. His kindness really gave him an attractive glow....not my usual type, but when he focused on you, the rest of the world melted away.

by Anonymousreply 127February 3, 2019 10:00 AM

Was Kevyn a top or bottom?

by Anonymousreply 128February 3, 2019 10:04 AM

Being adopted despite having loving supportive parents was something he never got over. He had to find his birth mother. He seems so happy to first meet her and his half brothers. She loved him so much as a baby and it was agony giving him up literally fighting off the nun who won't let her hold him. Then the more they talk with her things turn sinister and very dark and shockingly ugly.

The man she meets at the airport is not really her son. It's this large grown gay man who does makeup. Where is that baby she loved so much? Why is she stuck with this hulking faggot? Who the fuck is he? No just no. Get this strange person out of here. If she had raised him she would have had to beat him.

The emptiness inside of him is now filled with the ugliness of this dreadful woman who obscenely cruelly rejects him again. She claims she had to the first time. She chose to the second. And then he was dealing with the grotesque horribly painful effects of his benign tumor. He started rejecting people, behaving horribly, ruining his career...he had nothing left to live for. He was filled with too much impossible to resolve pain.

Then two final kickers; when his lover leaves him for a time to get a grip on the situation Aucoin cuts off that lover's financial support a terrible thing to do when he took on the responsibility when that young man was just trying to survive and then the adoptive parents locking the lover out of his home after Kevin's death and the estate like he never existed.

This whole documentary is one unavoidable cruelty upon cruelty. Life can be such an inevitable nightmare. I recognized a lot of my life in it though god knows I was not professionally successful and it didn't matter because I was personally a failure as well. It stayed with me a long time.

by Anonymousreply 129February 3, 2019 1:17 PM

I missed that his adoptive parents refused to acknowledge his boyfriend. Was that in the documentary or did you just know it already?

by Anonymousreply 130February 3, 2019 1:53 PM

They acknowledged him and had a good relationship with him until after Kevin died and then things turned ugly. Kevin's estate was too valuable to share with someone who legally has no rights. It's in the doc. But as I noted Kevin himself acted ugly.

There are two docs. I haven't seen one. Just the Beauty and the Beast in me.

by Anonymousreply 131February 3, 2019 2:06 PM

A reminder that a simple life is often the best. Trying to work out demons by “success” leads to an unfulfilling addiction to external praise. Go within.

by Anonymousreply 132February 3, 2019 2:10 PM

Now you've got me questioning if I did see it in the doc or if I read about it later. I had never even heard of Aucoin and just saw on Netflix there was a documentary about a successful make-up artist so I decided to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 133February 3, 2019 11:20 PM

r127 were you in L.A. or New York?

When I spent some time with he was just so sad. And I never saw him naked.

I'm really glad this thread didn't die off. People, male or female, with stories like this are important.

by Anonymousreply 134February 4, 2019 8:10 PM

It wasn’t his size but his ugly mug that caused most of his heartache. Beautiful faces cope with life’s ups and downs much easier.

by Anonymousreply 135February 4, 2019 8:13 PM

He worked behind the scnenes in fashion. Nearly everyone behind the scenes in fashion (photographers, makeup artists, agents, designers etc) is butt ugly. Did they mention he suffered from depression and mental illness?

by Anonymousreply 136February 4, 2019 9:44 PM

His unconventional facial proportions sometimes reminded me of Michael Phelps.

by Anonymousreply 137February 5, 2019 1:18 AM

As someone with a long narrow face...there is nothing you can do. Even plastic surgery can’t fix it. Rock what you have though. His personality seemed bigger than life, who cares what he looked like.

by Anonymousreply 138February 5, 2019 1:24 AM

"Nearly everyone behind the scenes in fashion (photographers, makeup artists, agents, designers etc) is butt ugly"

As long as they're thin, it's okay.

by Anonymousreply 139February 5, 2019 1:27 AM

His boyfriends were all nice looking.

by Anonymousreply 140February 6, 2019 2:24 PM

Umm, his good looking bfs were all looking for a paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 141February 6, 2019 2:33 PM

So did his gigantism or whatever also affect his dick? Looked like a big dick guy - which would explain his getting superior looking boyfriends.

by Anonymousreply 142February 6, 2019 2:43 PM

I came across him a few times because in the 90s I worked in the music industry (not high up at all, but here and there in different roles for companies like Geffen and Virgin).

I remember a magazine cover shoot with Janet Jackson (I think it was Vibe) and he indeed had his camera there. They were yukking it up and seemed very close. Actually she seemed very close with a lot of her team, as though everyone who worked with her (managers, background dancers etc.) were legitimate friends and not employees or part of the Janet machine. She had big hair for the shoot and I recall he kept saying "we've gotta make sure this beautiful face doesn't get lost in all that big fabulous hair!"

One person I saw him with a LOT was Courtney Love. He never had his camera when he was around her, they were just them. I felt so envious of their friendship. They seemed to have a tonne of fun together, always laughing and rolling around on the floor wrestling etc. Looking back they are both pretty troubled souls but I think they really 'got' each other, maybe because they were both a bit messy. I just looked up some of their work together and there are some great pictures:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143February 6, 2019 3:36 PM

Transforming her into Jean Harlow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144February 6, 2019 3:37 PM

He was a big part of her makeover period including this famous Oscars appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145February 6, 2019 3:39 PM

I was on set for this music video (Hole's cover of Fleetwood Mac's Gold Dust Woman). A big example of his famous thinned eyebrows look, which Courtney was very receptive to but not everyone else was. I remember after the video had been edited, the two of them came in one afternoon to see the finished product. Winona Ryder was with them at the time and i'm pretty sure they were all on something, they couldn't stop giggling (more than usual).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146February 6, 2019 3:43 PM

Besties

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147February 6, 2019 3:43 PM

Don't apologize, your posts are great!

by Anonymousreply 148February 6, 2019 3:49 PM

I wonder why Courtney wasn’t interviewed for the documentaries? Or did I miss it.

by Anonymousreply 149February 6, 2019 3:52 PM

When I saw the second documentary "Larger Than Life," I was reminded of Kathy Griffin and how she melted down when her famous friends dumped her. But with Kevyn, it was worse, definitely.

At the end of "Larger Than Life" there's a shot of a letter he was sent from his doctor, and it's not highlighted but you can still read a part that says they didn't get all of the tumor off his pituitary gland, and the doctor was outlining a future treatment plan. Then it cuts to one of his former boyfriends who remained a friend, and the guy says that Kevyn had lied about there being some tumor left behind, that it wasn't true and he just said it as an excuse to take more pain pills.

I'm sure he was looking for an excuse to take more pain pills BUT he wasn't lying, and he was literally in pain and addicted. That had to have been heartbreaking for Kevyn, to have people who were supposed to care about him call him a liar.

The film doesn't point this out by the way, and I am sure his ex was unaware of the letter from the doctor, and he probably has no idea he was wrong. But it still really struck me as unfair.

by Anonymousreply 150February 6, 2019 3:53 PM

R149 i'm not sure, I haven't seen the doc but perhaps it was scheduling because a lot of other people who were there with them appeared. I remember Kevin, Courtney and Kate Moss running around during filming for some MTV event, and Kate appeared in the documentary. I can't remember if it was the same event or not (but also in NYC) where the three of them were giving Beck tips on how to dress, and enhance his image (he was still kind of in his cowboy phase here). They were just goofing around and tucking his shirt in and stuff, putting on exaggerated southern accents. Beck looked mortified, just completely shy around them, but they were having a blast lol.

by Anonymousreply 151February 6, 2019 4:05 PM

I met Kevin on a gay chat line for a hook up - yes he had a huge cock, was super sweet. It was only later did I realize who he was. I used him for makeup every chance I got - for photoshoots (I was and still am in PR) - Once his fee went out of our range we remained friends. Sweetest guy I ever met, could not take a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 152February 6, 2019 4:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!