Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ryan Murphy’s Nurse Ratched Origin Series Starring Sarah Paulson Scores Big Netflix Order

Was anyone actually begging for an origin story about this character much less a two-season series?

And why is Ryan Murphy obsessed with Sarah Paulson? Despite the press that slobbers over her like a lonely dog, she's not all that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 16, 2019 1:57 AM

WHY? Paulson's getting overexposed. Her best work was in Asylum.

by Anonymousreply 1September 6, 2017 11:11 PM

She won every acting award for People Vs. OJ.

But other than that....

by Anonymousreply 2September 6, 2017 11:16 PM

I don't remember nurse Ratched having a baby-lisp. Maybe it's about her overcoming that.

by Anonymousreply 3September 6, 2017 11:18 PM

Murphy is such a hack.

by Anonymousreply 4September 6, 2017 11:20 PM

Nurse Ratched is supposed to have enormous tits.

by Anonymousreply 5September 6, 2017 11:23 PM

I think it's a brilliant idea.

by Anonymousreply 6September 6, 2017 11:25 PM

R1 I agree on both counts.

by Anonymousreply 7September 6, 2017 11:55 PM

Ugh, her lisp is so annoying

by Anonymousreply 8September 6, 2017 11:57 PM

No. One. Wants. Any. More. Backstories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 6, 2017 11:58 PM

Why not? Nurse Ratched was the ultimate crazed control freak... finding out why she was this monster should be over the top fun.

BTW: you fucking millennials, see original movie and before seeing this new tv show prequel, it's a must.

by Anonymousreply 10September 7, 2017 3:36 AM

"Finding out why"? There is no finding out why she was the way she was. It'll just be one hack inventing fiction on top of someone else's story. In other words, it's just fan fiction.

I can't believe anyone takes Murphy seriously. It's so embarrassing and does such a disservice to the genre(s) he pillages.

On another note, what kind of last name is 'Ratched' anyway? I've never come across a name that ended in -ed, at least not one I can think of. It looks like a verb. What's the heritage behind that name?

by Anonymousreply 11September 7, 2017 4:30 AM

r11 - Nurse Ratched is a fictional character, just like...

Blanche Devereaux

Rose Nylund

Dorothy Zbornak

Sophia Petrillo

have I put it in terms you will now understand, moron?

by Anonymousreply 12September 7, 2017 7:32 AM

i really like paulson and as hard as i have tried i never hear her LISP.

now, holly hunter.......

by Anonymousreply 13September 7, 2017 8:22 AM

I'm sure the first season will be excellent.

by Anonymousreply 14September 7, 2017 8:48 AM

Sarah is THE BETTE DAVIS OF AMERICA!

by Anonymousreply 15September 7, 2017 9:56 AM

My God, does Ryan Murphy *ever* stop working?!?

It seems like every week he announces about 3 new projects and works on 4 or 5 different projects simultaneously.

There's no way to have much "quality" with so much "quantity"...

Seriously though, how can the man physically work so much? Does anyone know? Massive amounts of cocaine and Adderall? A legion of personal assistants and interns doing most of the actual work?

by Anonymousreply 16September 7, 2017 11:13 AM

[quote]And why is Ryan Murphy obsessed with Sarah Paulson?

Supporting the lesbian community?

by Anonymousreply 17September 7, 2017 11:21 AM

[quote]On another note, what kind of last name is 'Ratched' anyway? I've never come across a name that ended in -ed, at least not one I can think of. It looks like a verb. What's the heritage behind that name?

It's supposed to sound like Hatchet. When you hear the name, you're supposed to immediately dislike her.

by Anonymousreply 18September 7, 2017 11:27 AM

Knowing her backstory kinda takes away from her character, IMHO. I don't need to know she's a sadistic asshole. She just is. That's enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 19September 7, 2017 12:07 PM

I always thought her name was Nurse Ratchet, like ratchet up the pain.

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2017 7:26 AM

I can't get past Sarah Paulson's lisp. Emma Stone has one too to a lesser degree. Ryan Murphy is obsessed with her and Evans Peter. Who know what his deal is. Having said that Sarah is a good actor. She could be good in this role.

by Anonymousreply 21September 24, 2017 7:57 AM

Same, r21.

Cannot watch either of them because of the affected lisps.

Terrible.

by Anonymousreply 22September 24, 2017 7:59 AM

He will probably make Ratched sympathetic by building up a sob story background for her. This is bullshit. Murphy is a real hack.

by Anonymousreply 23September 24, 2017 8:12 AM

Yet quite a successful hack.

by Anonymousreply 24September 24, 2017 8:21 AM

One flew over the cuckoo's nest, indeed. Also, the original form is the book by Ken Kesey. So, perhaps read the book, then see the movie.

by Anonymousreply 25September 24, 2017 8:22 AM

Sarah has replaced Jessica as Ryan Murphy's muse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 24, 2017 8:41 AM

I love Paulson but I'm tired of the running around and screaming.

by Anonymousreply 27September 24, 2017 8:43 AM

Surely for an origin story, it should be a younger actress playing the young Nurse Ratched? Paulson is probably older than Louise Fletcher was when she played her?

by Anonymousreply 28September 24, 2017 10:26 AM

[quote]have I put it in terms you will now understand, moron?

I'm aware that she is a fictional character, R12, but all those Golden Girls surnames are believable—they have a ring of authenticity to them. We've heard names almost exactly like them, and in each case one can guess what the country of origin probably is. 'Ratched', especially with its '-ed' spelling, seems utterly alien.

You don't understand what I mean?

Also: what the fuck is with the attitude?

by Anonymousreply 29September 25, 2017 4:43 AM

Cast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2019 10:45 PM

This will turn into some SJW intersectoral, 3rd wave feminist bullshit, like "Feud". Mark my words. It'll read like Tumblr fanfic.

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2019 10:48 PM

Amanda Plummer ?......Im in.

by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2019 10:53 PM

[quote]He will probably make Ratched sympathetic by building up a sob story background for her. This is bullshit. Murphy is a real hack.

[quote]This will turn into some SJW intersectoral, 3rd wave feminist bullshit, like "Feud". Mark my words. It'll read like Tumblr fanfic.

That's my concern, too. He'll have her be victimized in some way.

by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2019 10:57 PM

Let’s never recontectualize anything!

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2019 10:59 PM

R19 Hear, hear! I hate what Disney did to Maleficent, using a rape allegory (and making all the male characters evil, save the prince) in order to make her sympathetic. In the original animated film, Maleficent was just evil. No explanation necessary.

by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2019 10:59 PM

Judy Davis AND Sharon Stone? I can't wait to see who chews the scenery harder.

Also Ryan will probably give us a scene when Finn Whitrock and Hunter Parish make out, because he is a man of the (our) people.

by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2019 11:04 PM

[quote]Seriously though, how can the man physically work so much? Does anyone know? Massive amounts of cocaine and Adderall? A legion of personal assistants and interns doing most of the actual work?

He's not physically hanging out on every set week after week or directing/writing every episode. He gets the ball rolling on a show (and usually handles the pilot episode) and then moves on to his other works.

by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2019 11:12 PM

This reminds me of a class I took and we studied One Flew Over The Coocoo's nest, and if recall correctly Nurse 'Rachet' goes along this thread of symbolism. The main character's name, Randall Patrick McMurphy initials are RPM. 'Rachet' is a type of wrench. Lots of other references as well. Not bad for a class I took forty years ago at the local community college.

by Anonymousreply 38January 14, 2019 11:36 PM

If by "working," R16, you mean "churning out shockingly amateurish, derivative crap," then I can answer your question: The answer is no.

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2019 11:50 PM

Wow! This is a pretty awesome cast, but I'm still curious as to what they have up their sleeve for this one. I'm not sure Ratched's backstory is worth telling, but maybe I'll be proven wrong. I'm happy Murphy is employing Judy Davis again. I guess they got along well and this woman needs all the great roles she can get, because she's a brilliant, underrated actress. I'm also thrilled to see Sharon Stone joining the cast as well. I have my issues with some of his storytelling (or laziness at times), but I'm so thrilled Murphy continues to give actresses over 50 something to actually do. He's quickly become the patron saint of older actresses.

by Anonymousreply 40January 15, 2019 7:20 PM

Nurse Ratched is supposed to have enormous tits.

Sarah Paulson does not have enormous tits.

by Anonymousreply 41January 15, 2019 7:22 PM

R23. He is terrible. Feud was good only because of Jessica Lange and her performance. His writing is very amateurish. In Feud he just crammed ad many recreated film sequences as he could which was like padding.

by Anonymousreply 42January 15, 2019 7:47 PM

Great cast. I'd watch Harriet Harris and Corey Stoll in ANYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 43January 16, 2019 1:49 AM

R43 how come?

by Anonymousreply 44January 16, 2019 1:50 AM

Maybe we'll get to see Corey Stoll bottom again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 16, 2019 1:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!