Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Outlander on Starz worth starting?

There are inumerable threads on Sam H but nothing on whether the show Outlander is worth binging on.

I watched the first episode and need to know of it's gripping enough to continue.

by Anonymousreply 300April 16, 2019 10:15 PM

Insanely gripping and atmospheric. I just love losing myself in the past so I can't wait for the new season to start. I also always found it odd that we didn't have a dedicated thread for this show. I guess the anti-frau sentiment is so strong that most don't even give it a chance? Well, I'm a guy and it's one of my favourite series currently on TV.

Watch a couple more episodes and post your thoughts here!

by Anonymousreply 1September 4, 2017 11:55 AM

There are some issues but it's worth watching. I've seen both seasons and my favorite part is all the Clan drama. It's well cast. The upcoming third season will be make or break, for me anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2September 4, 2017 2:14 PM

Yes. Claire is a very resourceful nurse and the historical Scottish clans are well worth the watch. I enjoy the relationship growth between she and Jamie. Also between Claire and the other females in the cast. Second season lost me a bit, not nearly as entertaining as the first, but I'll still be watching the third.

by Anonymousreply 3September 4, 2017 2:36 PM

Depends on your tolerance for the rape fantasies of frauen. The actors are good, the scenery lovely, and the score is wonderful, but the driving narrative force is the tortured sexual fantasies of some frumpy old lady from Arizona. Sam Heughan's best chemistry is with Simon Callow.

by Anonymousreply 4September 4, 2017 2:37 PM

There are some good things about it, mostly Heughan's magnificent star quality, but I felt that the first season was a like 10 or 12 episode series stretched out needlessly to 16. Also, Claire is annoying.

by Anonymousreply 5September 4, 2017 2:43 PM

It displays his magnificent chest appropriately.

by Anonymousreply 6September 4, 2017 3:01 PM

Agreed R4 as far as the rape fantasies go, they are over the top, strange, and in my mind, not in keeping with the Jamie character arc. Obviously a deep dive into fan fic territory, they take me out of the plot rather than drive it forward. I do love the magic and the pagan influences, so I watch. Also not a reader of the books, so I'm curious where they end up.

by Anonymousreply 7September 4, 2017 3:01 PM

I have still have a problem with the red gown from Season Two and few other choices the 'crew' has made, but overall I'd give it an A-.

by Anonymousreply 8September 4, 2017 3:05 PM

R7 I love how this grounded, gritty (and grimy!) story is juxtaposed with magical elements in just the right amounts to stir my imagination.

R5 I find Claire so refreshingly strong and independent. I like how she applies her contemporary knowledge to help people in the past. I'd be totally helpless if I were ever sent to the past like that.

Oh, and Tobias Menzies. Don't even get me started on that one. He's so dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 9September 4, 2017 3:07 PM

R9 Yes. First scene at Creag an Dùin was steeped in mysticism. Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 10September 4, 2017 3:19 PM

I keep considering starting it OP, partially because the DL fanclub for this Sam character confuses me.

My reticence is the only people I know in real life who watches it are girls who seem obsessed with some romance in it. That makes me think it is frau bait more than the type of show I would be interested in.

by Anonymousreply 11September 4, 2017 3:46 PM

I like historical time-traveling stories, so I watch, but this is a particularly bad show. It feels like there is a rape in every episode, and I am frankly bored with that. Then, they take these dirty hillbillies to Paris, where they inexplicably fit-in with the Royal set. Unbelievable. Then back to Scotland and their dirty hillbilly lives again.

Clair is too old for this role. I think in reality she is the same age as Jamie, but seems much older.

Clair narrates a lot of scenes, which is usually done when the story is too weak to convey what is happening without the narration, and it shows.

She's also a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 12September 4, 2017 4:21 PM

[quote]the DL fanclub for this Sam character confuses me.

There is no DL fanclub for Sam Heughan. The idiots filling up those threads in a recursive manner are straight women who found DL googling for "Sam Heughan gay." They basically pride themselves on being more sophisticated than all the other dumb fangirls who believe that Sam is in love with his female costar. Those threads are fucking gross. A bunch of women claiming they don't care that he's not straight, desperately wishing he'd be honest and come out, all the while reinforcing regressive notions about gay men. I swear 25% of the posts are the same pic of Sam with his legs crossed at the knee, usually captioned "SO GAY."

These women flatter themselves that they're so progressive and supportive, but they're basically Exhibit A for why actors are afraid to come out.

by Anonymousreply 13September 4, 2017 6:55 PM

True. Many episodes address violence, attempted rape (at least three times I can think of in S1), one rape - much discussed here in previous threads. R12 Claire's narration is slight, only to highlight her sense of being 'Outlander'. She couldn't very well address her thoughts in dialogue without the clan thinking she's mad and sending the plot on another tangent altogether.

by Anonymousreply 14September 4, 2017 8:52 PM

OP Watching S1 again, since you brought it up. I'm R3 R7 R14 it's dependant on your taste, but if you like history, herorism and herbalism, I recommend.

by Anonymousreply 15September 5, 2017 3:58 AM

A nineteenth thread has been started for Sam Heughan, who was an unknown actor before "Outlander", and fifteen posts for the actual show. DLers are insane, and I can't believe all of those posts are fraus r13.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2017 3:18 PM

Well, it is the rare drama that is from the female point of view. The wedding night focus was on his body, not hers.

Her character is supposed to be feisty or some shit but in actuality she does many stupid things that affect others. If it were real (okay) a person in her position would be much more observant and circumspect.

I did like all the minor characters, Gellis was amazing, her BBQ quote made me gasp. The sister was pretty cool, although getting on horseback after a long labor and giving birth was not remotely happening.

by Anonymousreply 17September 5, 2017 9:16 PM

[quote]I can't believe all of those posts are fraus

You must be new here. A lot of the intese fan threads are populated by pretty much nothing but women. Jon K/Luke Evans was the same way. The Henry Cavill durrell nonsense is all women in there too. Same with the Richard Armitage/Lee Pace stuff.

by Anonymousreply 18September 6, 2017 12:25 AM

Spot the handsome Tobias in this promo shot for the new season.

The critics are now watching the first six episodes of the new season, so the reviews or at least impressions should be out shortly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 9, 2017 2:02 AM

Actually, R12, Claire is supposed to be older than Jamie. When they first meet, she's 27 and he's 23. The actors were both too old for their roles when they started, and are actually the same age in RL. Three years ago, when the show began, Balfe was 34 and playing 27, while Heughan was 34 playing 23. This season they're playing older than their real age on the show.

by Anonymousreply 20September 9, 2017 2:12 AM

I assumed it was just a serialized bodice ripper. Not something I was really looking for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 9, 2017 2:19 AM

I really liked Season 1, but Season 2 (aside from the fabulous wardrobe) was boring. As someone mentioned, I couldn't quite get with the hillbillies-go-to-Paris storyline, and rape as a plot device was trite and repetitive. But I'm willing to give Season 3 a chance if I get to see more rugged Scots laddies in kilts.

by Anonymousreply 22September 9, 2017 2:24 AM

It is an excellent beautiful series fantastic score scenery and the best opening theme in years. Yes it is very violent. But that is the history of the Scots, who are not hillbillies. Scots are descendants of the French...do some deep research. I dont think clare is a great actress but there are far worse on tv...julia Louise Dryness to name just one. Definitely worth getting starz for. This andd shameless ae the best current cable series.

Too bad someone doesn't have a get the moose lim's out of the us series.

by Anonymousreply 23September 9, 2017 2:52 AM

[quote]the best opening theme in years

Relative to the quality of the show, sure. Which is damn impressive considering the same composer's work did most of the heavy lifting in establishing The Walking Dead as a good show. But Bear McCreary's work on Battlestar Galactica was better, as was RDM's. (Curses on both of them for sucking me into this Outlander shit.)

by Anonymousreply 24September 9, 2017 3:41 AM

Claire's a bit too MacGyver

by Anonymousreply 25September 9, 2017 4:40 AM

But she likes the dick!

by Anonymousreply 26September 9, 2017 9:39 AM

Gosh, everything looks so stylish, even more so than in the previous seasons. I wouldn't mind lounging around with a bout of melancholia in a bedroom like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 9, 2017 12:41 PM

And that blue wallpaper. So cosy!

Hate the huge bright-green plants, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 9, 2017 12:44 PM

[quote]Scots are descendants of the French

Good God.

by Anonymousreply 29September 9, 2017 12:51 PM

The French escapades were a miss for me as well. A colourful miss, though.

I did like that they changed the lyrics of the opening theme to French for that season. Here's Bear with the accordion. He was supposed to do Game Of Thrones as well but they went with Djawadi instead. I've always wondered what could have been...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 9, 2017 1:19 PM

It's not that great. Typical bodice ripper. It's like game of thrones as a romance novel.

by Anonymousreply 31September 9, 2017 1:25 PM

R25 Ha ! Funny way of putting it, but I enjoy her just the same. R22 Yes, more kilts, more spirited, sweaty Scots !

by Anonymousreply 32September 9, 2017 2:04 PM

I have no interest in her contemporary life and you just know that her and Jamie's child is going to be sooo special (gag). The actor who plays her husband is much better in his evil historic role. They don't have much chemistry as a married couple.

I doubt they're going to be spending much time in Scotland when she goes back, the Battle of Culloden pretty much wiped out that life.

by Anonymousreply 33September 9, 2017 2:54 PM

So, what did you all think of the season premiere? Did you like Jamie's sex moans in the beginning?

I couldn't [italic]believe[/italic] all those misogynistic pigs in Boston! On the other hand, I had a surgical procedure done last year by a periodontist who looked [italic]exactly[/italic] like Claire's obstetrician and the vile sexist jokes that came out of his mouth throughout the procedure made my stomach turn. From Jamie's Scotland to the post-war USA and right up to today's Pussy Grabber-In-Chief... these vulgar swines somehow remain a constant and always appear to prosper, don't they?

R3 But we've already seen their daughter all grown up last season and she didn't come off as special or precious at all.

by Anonymousreply 34September 10, 2017 11:58 AM

Poor Frank.

by Anonymousreply 35September 11, 2017 3:36 AM

Costume breakdown for the first episode of the season. Mid-Century America fashion!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2017 9:31 PM

Is anyone watching this? The second episode dragged but the third one was gripping from the first minute to the last.

A pretty new homosexual predator for Jaime, though just for one episode. He seems to attract them like flies, doesn't he?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 24, 2017 11:31 PM

God no!! It's the worst ham-fest on tv. And the closested gay lead actor is the worst. There is absolutely no chemistry between him and the female lead.

It's so bad.

by Anonymousreply 38September 24, 2017 11:41 PM

finally some drama. i was ready to bolt.

by Anonymousreply 39September 24, 2017 11:44 PM

R38 Well, those two have had no interaction this season but I'm sure you'll enjoy the interaction between Jaime and his captor. They're both so handsome.

R39 So much drama! I know it's straight couple's drama which doesn't usually interest me, but I felt both of their heartbreaks intensely. And my sweet Tobias Menzies, oh how I'll miss him. The Scotland drama was equally riveting.

by Anonymousreply 40September 24, 2017 11:48 PM

r40 I could only get through season 1. Is Tobias no longer on the show?

by Anonymousreply 41September 25, 2017 12:14 AM

R41 Sorry for the spoiler!

He's also my favourite and this season really gave him something interesting to work with as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 42September 25, 2017 12:22 AM

No !!

by Anonymousreply 43September 25, 2017 12:23 AM

I love the French boy, Fergus.

by Anonymousreply 44September 25, 2017 2:21 AM

She's an awful actress. She should go back in time and materialize as another actress.

by Anonymousreply 45September 25, 2017 2:47 AM

I don't get it. What happened to Jamie?

Beware, any answers will naturally be spoilers.

by Anonymousreply 46September 25, 2017 2:51 AM

Poor Frank. A mensch to the end. Killing off his character like that is such cheap writing. Why not just let them divorce. She's a doctor. She can support herself.

r46, the prison was shut down and John Grey arranged for Jamie to disappear into service at a great house.

Grey is pretty, but there's no sexual chemistry between the actors at all. I wonder if that was an intentional choice in the casting. It shouldn't be hard to find a pretty boy who can do a British accent and manifest sexual attraction to Sam Heughan.

by Anonymousreply 47September 25, 2017 5:22 PM

Last night's episode jumped around to the point that I had to watch it twice to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I had.

by Anonymousreply 48September 25, 2017 5:27 PM

So regarding the many threads on if the actor playing Jamie is gay IRL, is that something mostly women speculate on? If its female driven on those threads do any men think he's gay or don't really care? Just interested in the average DL opinion on this kind of thing,vis a vis similar threads.

by Anonymousreply 49September 25, 2017 7:42 PM

R49 Yes, someone upthread said that it's mostly women posting in those speculating threads. I just find it odd that they either don't watch this show or don't want to discuss it here. I mean, this show is his main (only?) project right now.

I think he's clearly gay and is currently engaged in some generic obfuscation to further his chances in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 50September 25, 2017 7:50 PM

[quote]do any men think he's gay or don't really care?

The original Sam Heughan thread was started on 11/6/14, got 8 posts in a week, then sat dormant until 6/21/15 when it was resurrected by a probable frau posting a pic of the rape scene labeled as a "gay scene." So, not a lot of care there. If I had to guess, "probably gay" would be the typical DL estimation, but still, not a lot of care.

[quote]vis a vis similar threads

"Similar threads" are almost all female driven. High volume, repetitive posting is not really a DL thing. If someone posted at reply 563 in a Men Presenting Hole thread with a gif that was already posted at reply 20, they'd probably get a snarky call out. This is the place where the standard response to someone starting a duplicate current event thread is "OP is worse than Hitler."

If we're gender stereotyping, the men gather available evidence, draw a conclusion and leave it alone until there's fresh evidence. The women will work the same pieces of evidence over, backwards and forwards, then start gathering irrelevant info and treating it like fresh evidence. The present obsession with tracking the alleged beard being a perfect example. If you believe she's a beard, you have drawn your conclusion. Fresh evidence would be Heughan publicly identifying her as his girlfriend. Covering every single social media occurrence like fresh evidence is silly. I won't even credit her with attempted bearding status because assuming there must be something sexual happening between an opposite sex pair just because they're regularly photographed together is very hetero. I think the term "generic obfuscation" used by r50 is more apt.

Of course, #NotAllMen and #NotAllWomen, but when you have a critical mass of straight women behaving in a stereotypical way, it really does stick out around here. Guys devote their energy to tracking down sexy gifs, not the movements of some non-descript unknown actress.

OG Sam thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 25, 2017 9:39 PM

R51 Thankyou for that answer. It made alot of sense to me and explained what's going on with the Sam threads.This reminds me of an answer my husband gave me years ago when I wouldn't shut up about some topic I was obsessed about.You're right gay,straight,whatever this is a basic difference between boys and girls from about 1st grade on.You gave me a good chuckle!

by Anonymousreply 52September 25, 2017 10:46 PM

Hoping ep.304 will start to get more interesting.Voyager,the book this season is based on,is a mess of silly catastrophes for Jamie and Claire,but might be entertaining on the show. It's been pretty dreary and boring so far for me.

by Anonymousreply 53September 27, 2017 3:10 AM

Have a care, if you please R47

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 27, 2017 3:39 AM

Such a good episode! But what happens now?! She's on the plane to Boston. Do you have any druid stones in Boston as well? But how will Jaime cross the ocean if she crosses in the States? Will [italic]he[/italic] pass through the stones in Scotland into the modern age?

I love how Jaime shows no signs of ageing; his face and bum are as taut as ever. And he's basically a cum rag at this point, prostituting himself left and right.

Gods, this is getting so good.

by Anonymousreply 55October 1, 2017 11:31 AM

I've gone back and forth about this show since it started, to be honest. Sam is indeed hot as fuck and a decent actor. The location scenery has been gorgeous in at least a few episodes each season. And I'm a sucker for period drama and historical reference. I've probably watched almost all the episodes since the beginning, and keep watching, usually a few episodes at a time.

But I get the channel as part of a package. I would not separately subscribe to STARZ just for this.

by Anonymousreply 56October 1, 2017 5:08 PM

Thank God this series finally got its 'mojo' back last night with episode 4. I'm still crying over Jamie leaving little Willie.

by Anonymousreply 57October 2, 2017 2:16 PM

Yes last night's episode that focused on Jamie was good,but felt a bit truncated,since they had to switch back to Claire et all in the future,which was really boring.Hope they stick to the past in next episodes.But if I hadn't become invested watching season 1,I probably wouldn't be watching it now .The best part was the Scottish part ,that was exciting and romantic.

by Anonymousreply 58October 2, 2017 8:49 PM

Richard Rankin's butt looked mighty fine in those pants. I hope we'll see him shirtless at one point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 2, 2017 9:04 PM

Completely different person without the beard. I can't decide which look is hotter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 2, 2017 9:05 PM

Here he is in motion, with great (chest) hair and mightily confused at me dropping trou and revealing my cock.

He was so certain he was a top his whole life, bless his heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 2, 2017 9:15 PM

I found it really stupid in ep.304 that they used Dylans iconic anti Vietnam war song at the end,sung by someone else,and alot of people thought it was so moving.It didn't make any sense in the context of the show. Seems like they could have chosen another piece of music that would've made more sense. Now I'm hate watching.

by Anonymousreply 62October 4, 2017 5:08 AM

Is the gay syoryline any good? Should I start watching this show?

by Anonymousreply 63October 4, 2017 5:54 AM

i watched binge watched this show when I had starz. I had to get rid of the package coz it was too expensive. I enjoyed it, I will probably order starz at some point but at the season's end so I can binge watch everything and then cancel the channel after a couple of weeks so I don't have to pay too much LOL.

by Anonymousreply 64October 4, 2017 6:32 AM

[quote]Insanely gripping

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 65October 4, 2017 7:22 AM

R65 You commented on a month old post to add [italic]that[/italic] to the discussion?

But I'm blocking you for being stale, which is a greater crime in my eyes than just spamming.

by Anonymousreply 66October 4, 2017 11:38 AM

R63 I think the source material was written in the 80s so the gay stuff is more predatory than romantic. Well, just predatory, actually.

by Anonymousreply 67October 4, 2017 11:40 AM

R62 You can't be serious. Dylan's song was perfect for the end of that episode. It brought both Claire and Jamie's world, at that point, together even though they were separated by centuries.

by Anonymousreply 68October 4, 2017 11:45 AM

R68 Why do you think so?Lots of reviews agreed with you ,and it's always a beautiful song,but the context just didn't fit to me.

by Anonymousreply 69October 4, 2017 6:31 PM

[quote]Claire is a very resourceful nurse

Have they gotten to the part where she makes an MRI out of a hollowed out log, some dung and an owl feather?

by Anonymousreply 70October 4, 2017 6:35 PM

The young actress playing Claire's daughter in the 1960s is pretty, but not a great talent. The guy playing her academic-type potential bf in Scotland, on the other hand, is destined for bigger things. I wonder if it will turn out he's a descendant of Jaimie's son

by Anonymousreply 71October 4, 2017 7:46 PM

R71 Yeah, the daughter isn't the strongest talent in this show and her accent just grates when everyone else around her isn't American.

I've always defended Caitriona Balfe because she seems competent enough in her role but that reaction shot (that went on forever) of her when she finds out Frank died... boy, that was [italic]rough.[/italic] Definitely called for another take or three.

As for the potential bf in Scotland, I've already gushed over him here from R59 through R61. Imagine if he makes it in Hollywood before Sam does, but without all the bearding?

Oh, and this bio page is hilarious and obviously written by a frau fan of his:

[quote]Richard Rankin is very good looking guys and his sexual is assumed to be straight, though it has not been confirmed by Rankin himself. As Richard has kept his personal life details in great mystery there is no any updated relating his current relational status.

[quote]Richard Rankin has been linked with several ladies and his beautiful co worker actress, in the past he was linked with actress Louise Stewart, though the rumors has not been confirmed but there were spotted in several location hanging out together.

[quote]Richard Rankin’s is tall guy with a height of feet and has a well maintained body. Though being a celebrity, there is no any update information regarding his net worth and salary. Richard has blue eyes and blonde hair.

[quote]Richard is famous among his fans with his movie and TV shows and he has numerous fans following in his Twitter and Instagram account. Richard has also huge fans that follow his bio information in wiki and IMDb.

Essential to repeat the surname in every paragraph.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 4, 2017 8:11 PM

An emotional episode with a killer ending. However, I will never forgive them for not showing us the actual passing through the stones. Yes, I know we've seen it twice now but it's just so magical every single time.

I still love how Jaime hasn't aged one bit while Claire looks haggard. Although those stones sure did melt the age off her face, right? I kinda want to book a ticket to Inverness right now and paw all over them like the frau in the photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 8, 2017 12:07 PM

I'm fuming at this two-week-long hiatus after that cliffhanger, but the extended episode will more than make up for it.

[quote]Episode 6 of the third season of Outlander will get the supersize treatment when it airs on Sunday, Oct. 22. Not only will the episode, titled “A. Malcolm,” finally bring the beloved century-crossed lovers back together, fans will also get the added bonus of a 74-minute extended episode to really relish the couple’s long-anticipated reunion.

[quote]And that’s not all. Before the epic sixth episode, Starz will air the first five episodes of the season so far, giving viewers the chance to truly prep for the momentous moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 9, 2017 6:33 PM

Well, it's certainly no Big Bang Theory, but...

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2017 5:27 AM

If you're the kind of woman who loves slash fiction involving men raping other men who is also titillated by pedophiles, this is your show.

But if you have any kind of self-respect.....

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2017 5:53 AM

r75 Well, thank God for that.

by Anonymousreply 77October 17, 2017 5:00 PM

R77 Why anyone would compare it to a sitcom in the first place is what I don't quite understand.

by Anonymousreply 78October 17, 2017 5:12 PM

This is quintessential frau TV. You know, the ones who used to infest DL with QAF-related threads and have now moved on to this schlock.

by Anonymousreply 79October 17, 2017 5:49 PM

r79 And what to you consider classic TV today pray tell?

by Anonymousreply 80October 17, 2017 5:51 PM

Not r79, but Matlock reruns are certainly superior.

by Anonymousreply 81October 17, 2017 5:53 PM

It's a soap opera with a lot of sex (some gay sex too) and torture. The actress playing the lead is boring as shit.

by Anonymousreply 82October 17, 2017 5:53 PM

Certainly not that. But to give you an idea, dear Fraulein: Good Behavior, Ozarks, The House of Cards, all those UK crime shows (Happy valley, Unforgotten), you know, something not based on the Harlequin romance kind of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 83October 17, 2017 5:56 PM

R82 I think she was given direction to play the character bland like that so the viewers could more easily imagine taking her place.

It's a nice wish-fulfilment escapist fantasy. The rape and the predatory homosexual thing [italic]is[/italic] unfortunate, even if it could be excused by saying such behaviour was more tolerated back then. I'm sure these elements would be gone had the author written these books in the past five to ten years. Although why these particular parts were still adapted to the TV, I'll never know.

by Anonymousreply 84October 17, 2017 6:02 PM

[quote] I'm sure these elements would be gone had the author written these books in the past five to ten years.

That's very generous of you.

by Anonymousreply 85October 17, 2017 8:02 PM

SPOILERS

Well, that show 'jumped the shark' today. Could Jamie be anymore excited to see pictures of his daughter after twenty years. From what I've read, in the book he cried when he saw her pictures and in this episode hie bitched about Bree being in a bikini (after Claire explained what a bikini was). He was more excited to tell Claire about his bastard son. The whole episode fell flatter than a pancake. And please, we've seen Claire and Jamie having sex, so did we still need another ten to fifteen minutes of it even after twenty years.

by Anonymousreply 86October 22, 2017 5:41 PM

^^^^he bitched^^^

by Anonymousreply 87October 22, 2017 5:47 PM

R86 Yeah, the episode was extra long as an obvious service to the fraus. I just skipped their bedroom stuff altogether as I'm much more interested in the side plots. I did appreciate seeing Sam's ass, though. Catriona is also very brave for going topless like that. And of course, the episode ended with a rape threat, because why not.

I liked the bikini freakout. It did read like he was more excited to tell her about his son but that shit was weighing heavily on him for the longest time so I kind of understand why he played it like that.

by Anonymousreply 88October 22, 2017 5:51 PM

Why would Clayyrrre even bring a picture of his daughter in a bikini? That was a cheap plot device.

Today, even, if a separated percent was required to send the other parent a picture of their child by the courts, it had better be an appropriate one or all hell could break loose.

by Anonymousreply 89October 22, 2017 5:52 PM

r89 I thought the same thing. Why would the brilliant Dr. Randall-Fraser take a photo of her daughter in a bikini to show her 18th century father.

by Anonymousreply 90October 22, 2017 5:56 PM

Enh, she just grabbed a wide variety of photos of Brianna; some in the woods, some on the beach, some indoors... It was a welcome light-hearted moment in an otherwise heavy reunion scene. It's my favourite part of the show when sensibilities from different time periods clash like that.

Our family album is full of us in bathing suits so I guess this might be a cultural no-no in the US?

by Anonymousreply 91October 22, 2017 5:58 PM

r91 Are we even on the same planet here? She shocked him with photographs (which she had to explain to him what they were) and then showed him a picture of his daughter, which to 18th century eyes, she was nude.

by Anonymousreply 92October 22, 2017 6:03 PM

No, r91, but to take it back to a time when there was no photography, and then "oh, here she is with almost no clothes on, isn't she gorgeous?" was a bit over the top to show the difference in cultures. The good doctor has always had a feminist sensibility, and maybe she forgot it there?

by Anonymousreply 93October 22, 2017 6:07 PM

It was the t & a episode.

Also, Claire’s adopted step-like son from France, Fergus, I don’t think he should have hugged her. They were very formal back them.

I still can’t understand the accent it about 20% of the other actors’ screen time, besides Jamie & Claire.

Glad to hear there was a Dorcas character. About time.

by Anonymousreply 94October 23, 2017 2:24 AM

A parent in 1969 would also be disapproving of a bikini, or at least uncomfortable, no matter how “accepted” they are by youngsters.

by Anonymousreply 95October 23, 2017 2:28 AM

The bikini picture is all Gabaldons fault.She said when she wrote that in the book,she and her friend thought it would be funny for Jamie to be shocked.Haha.The show writers should have left it out,especially since the whole picture thing was so truncated and rushed. "Here's some photo from 200 years in the future,they're pictures made with light"huh? That scene was bad,and then we had to see the portrait of Jamie's son ,who looks nothing like ANYONE in Scotland.I thought the ep. kinda fell flat after the big build up.

by Anonymousreply 96October 23, 2017 5:46 AM

It is possible that much later Victorian era clothing style was actually more conservative than earlier fashions; however and nonetheless, my sense is that Jamie should have been shocked at a glimpse of any leg at all, never mind a bikini.

by Anonymousreply 97October 23, 2017 8:49 PM

From last night episode.

It's Sam's nut sack or modesty patch?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98October 23, 2017 10:04 PM

I can't see anything in most of the interior shots,the lighting is so dark.Tha interors are so beautiful,the art director does an amazing job creating fabulous 18th century rooms,with amazing detail.l want to see all the set decoration,but they're so dark I'm squinting the whole time.Authenticity is one thing,but the candlelight effect is frustrating.I know the season is already in the can,but I hope next season the lighting is a little brighter.Sam's modesty patch?you can barely see anything it's so dark.

by Anonymousreply 99October 25, 2017 5:02 PM

I wish they de-accented people next season, or I’m going to have turn closed captioning on.

by Anonymousreply 100October 25, 2017 9:22 PM

I agree with whomever stated above that the show has jumped the shark.... the Print Shop scene was awful. The pacing was all off, and I don’t buy the relationship. I don’t know whether it's the actors or they just lack chemistry, but I always feel as though I’m watching actors read lines rather than getting immersed in the show when those two are on. Evidently they let SH make changes to the script (not crying with relief when he saw the pictures of Brianna and realized his sacrifice had paid off, wearing glasses that he'll somehow have to carry when he gets shipwrecked later on). In the books Jamie was gobsmacked but delighted to see Claire, and on the show Jamie just seems like a prick.

Plus (spoiler) Jamie marries the woman who tried to have Claire burned alive as a witch? How's she going to get over THAT? In the books it was conquerable due to his ignorance of Laoghaire's involvement, but in the show they've painted themselves into a corner. What’s that episode going to be called, Sorry I Married Your Attempted Murderer?

Shame. It's such a great concept of a show, but so disappointingly executed.

by Anonymousreply 101October 28, 2017 9:07 PM

This weeks ep."creme de menthe" was boring,boring.What happened to the beautiful relationship of Jamie and Claire?He acted like a cranky old man,and not the honorable character from previous seasons. This chapter in the book he's stressed but happy.I get they're leaving out alot of shit from the book in the interest of time constraints,but this has been a real snoozefest so far this season.It feels like someone angry with the original story is doing the writing,and is pretty arrogant about the changes.

by Anonymousreply 102October 30, 2017 2:12 AM

Maybe if, in the episode where they get reunited after 20 years, they had acted more like adults who actually love one another and less like horny teens (20 minutes of slow-mo sex, anyone?) it would all be more palatable.

If it was a story about gay men reconnecting, it would be such a cliche: oh, they missed fucking each other.

by Anonymousreply 103October 30, 2017 10:26 PM

Agreed 102, I don’t even LIKE the characters anymore.

by Anonymousreply 104November 1, 2017 5:27 AM

The show writers are beginning to make the original writing actually look more logical than the show ,which is saying something.If I hadn't read the book I think last nights episode would've been puzzling to say the least .I mean ,Claire left her 20year old daughter an orphan,was it just a whim on her part?If she and Jamie have the timeless love story touted,so what if he had a wife,he's willing to leave her.

by Anonymousreply 105November 6, 2017 4:43 PM

R105 Yeah, I got her reaction at first but when she brought it up again at the very end while they were watching the kid swim to the island... that was just plain bad writing.

Still, I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the last one, which bored me to tears with the alcohol smuggling subplot. I really wish she told Jenny her full story. She told it to that priest but she can't tell it to her "sister"?!

by Anonymousreply 106November 6, 2017 4:52 PM

The bit of the series that I’ve never been able to reconcile is that they have this supposedly epic love, yet she (a) leaves him before Culloden, when she could go help his family at Lallybroch, and (b) NEVER CHECKS to see whether he really did die at Culloden when she returns to her time. Wtf? Could've picked up a cool 20 years with the love of your life via a bit of research. Absolutely makes no sense. Even less sense than falling through time by touching some stones.

Unrelated, I am surprised a gay guy accepted the lead role considering how gays are presented in the books (two are vicious sadists, one spends his entire life pining for a straight guy). But upon reflection he's probably never read them.

by Anonymousreply 107November 6, 2017 8:43 PM

[quote]Even less sense than falling through time by touching some stones.

To be fair, that's the (only) fantastical element that makes the whole story possible in the first place. I never really took it as something that was supposed to make sense. You either suspend disbelief for that part or you don't.

by Anonymousreply 108November 6, 2017 8:58 PM

I really had no problem with the magic stones; however, i could never believe she just blithely went along with her life for twenty years without checking on the guy she claimed to love.

by Anonymousreply 109November 6, 2017 10:37 PM

R109 Oh yeah, that part is definitely weird. I guess she had been avoiding the finality of it all? There must have been part of her that hoped he had survived and seeing his name on a tally of the fallen would take that hope away once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 110November 6, 2017 10:47 PM
by Anonymousreply 111November 13, 2017 12:26 AM

I've read the books and the tv series left out a huge plot hole that explains why Claire never looked for Jamie for those 20 years. Her husband, Frank, paid someone to make a headstone for Jamie and he showed it to Claire to make her believe Jamie was dead.

by Anonymousreply 112November 13, 2017 12:34 AM

That’s quite an omission, R112. They've been trying to make Frank more a sympathetic character but it's like a zero-sum game; you make one character more sympathetic at the expense of another or the story. I don't envy those screenwriters.

by Anonymousreply 113November 13, 2017 1:20 AM

We were killing ourselves in the last episode where Jamie's nephew was supposed to swim out to an island and bring back a heavy treasure chest. How? Evidently, boats had not yet been invented...then a ship shows up to carry him off. Gigantic plot hole.

by Anonymousreply 114November 13, 2017 1:27 AM

Also, wouldn’t Clare have researched the history of that era? She ought to know more about it than Jamie after 20 years. Also, when she started to think of going back, she should have researched whatever might have been of value to know (in addition to medicine).

Lastly, my experience is that adults do not leave their children, even grown children, to chase after their former lovers. Have any of you seen this?

by Anonymousreply 115November 13, 2017 3:07 AM

Spoilers...I'm a big fan of the books and love both Jamie and Claire even though I'm a big lezzie...

Claire brought a book with her to the past about the history of Scotland. She has researched it. But right now it doesn't matter because for the next few books they will be in America...

Claire left her child, yes, but her child is going to follow her into the past very, very soon...

by Anonymousreply 116November 13, 2017 7:06 AM

This was a more exciting episode. I wish we'd see Claire doing more doctoring every episode, and solving strange medical cases. A House M.D./Black Sails hybrid I never knew I wanted.

I rolled my eyes at those drums during the credits. "We're in black people country now, get it?"

by Anonymousreply 117November 13, 2017 3:16 PM

r116 Thank God there's hope, I was ready to cancel STARZ after the last three episodes.

by Anonymousreply 118November 13, 2017 3:20 PM

[quote]Lastly, my experience is that adults do not leave their children, even grown children, to chase after their former lovers. Have any of you seen this? My aunt moved cross country with some guy she'd only know for 3 months, leaving her 17 year old daughter with her stepdad, 2 months before her graduation. Until then, we'd all thought of her as the most devoted of mothers. I have no trouble believing that other women might do something similar, especially if she'd convinced herself that the adult child would be fine.

For the commentor further upthread who didn't understand why Claire left before the battle, instead of going to Lollybroch- Jamie had made her promise to do so, because the conditions in Scotland would be awful if/when the Scots lost at Culloden. Claire was English and would not be looked upon favourably.

by Anonymousreply 119November 23, 2017 2:20 AM

Someone upthread described Caitriona's portrayal as bland. Thank you for that. I agree. It's been a long time since I read any of the books, but I seem to remember Claire being a lot sharper, feistier, and funny. I find this version a snore. And the two of them together, same thing, snoresville. Re: her reaction shot to Frank's death. What was that? There was literally no reaction. Her face was a blank. And not, "I'm in shock," blank. Was that the best take? Yikes. Sign me up then. I can act, too!!

The series as a whole, what I've seen of it anyway, just seems unbearably somber to me. Not like I remember from any of the books. And, I'm sorry, I know Bear McCreary is really talented, but I hate the soundtrack and would like to destroy that fucking accordian. Had more than enough of that on Black Sails. Man, I'm cranky about this, lol. But it's so dreary, I find myself wishing he'd break into a polka. Anything to break up the monotony.

by Anonymousreply 120November 23, 2017 2:48 AM

Wow,that's so true for me as well.Somber and depressing. The book "voyager" was crazy,but not sad.I think if the two leads were not model gorgeous in period costume,there wouldn't still be a show.It relies alot on eye candy and when the scenery and costumes are dreary,as they have been this season(along with bad hair),it gets boring.episode coming up looks like some pretty costumes and scenery so that'll be refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 121November 23, 2017 9:17 PM

I think that Claire is an awful actress. Especially when she flips-on that indignant voice she uses to express anger.

by Anonymousreply 122November 24, 2017 12:38 AM

Yeah,or she has the hysterical scream -crying or the hysterical scream-orgasm,a bit limited otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 123November 24, 2017 3:04 AM

Yep, this Claire is a dud. This week's episode was practically coma-inducing.

by Anonymousreply 124November 24, 2017 4:27 AM

Balfe's huge missed opportunity was not playing a 1940's woman when she first went through the stones. That would have elevated the text.

by Anonymousreply 125November 24, 2017 4:43 PM

I noticed the producer, Ron Moore, is really plugging (no pun intended) his fat wife, the costume designer, Terry Dresbach. Almost half of the episode commentary now is about Terry and her costumes. I guess Ron knows his show is doomed (this season has sucked the big one) and wants Terry employed after this shit fest is over.

by Anonymousreply 126November 24, 2017 4:49 PM

Wait a minute -

"Scots are descendants of the French"

No, we fucking aren't....

by Anonymousreply 127November 24, 2017 7:19 PM

Some are.

by Anonymousreply 128November 24, 2017 7:54 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129November 24, 2017 7:56 PM

We were allies - not descendants...

by Anonymousreply 130November 24, 2017 8:01 PM

Are you sure no Frenchie solider fucked your whore g-grand ma?

by Anonymousreply 131November 24, 2017 8:05 PM

Positive.

Do you even know who your whore g-grand ma was? She certainly couldn't remember which one was your g-grand pa...

by Anonymousreply 132November 25, 2017 11:11 AM

Anybody see the wig-tastrophe in this week's ep? Not only does Balfe wear something like 7 different joke shop wigs, but there's zero continuity. We see her go from dark to graying to dark to graying. LOL What a fucking trainwreck.

by Anonymousreply 133November 26, 2017 8:36 PM

r133 They've hit the wall. The producer, Ron Moore, is damn lucky STARZ has committed to another season of this overblown and overhyped mess.

by Anonymousreply 134November 27, 2017 1:16 PM

Voyager is a hard book to cram into 13 episodes I guess, but this season, just watching objectively, trying to separate from the book, is really blah.The first 2 seasons might have been uneven sometimes but I still had a lot of interest in seeing the next episode. I’ll be watching the last two episodes of this season to see how they fit in the rest of the story , but I feel like everyone involved with the show is just trying to get through like me.Acting seems phoned in,as well as writing. Now the long wait til next season, which hopefully will be better. It’s a win for Starzs because they did get a lot of subscribers from the 1st 2seasons .

by Anonymousreply 135November 27, 2017 6:06 PM

I haven't read the thread because I'm sure it's filled with spoilers. For some reason I ended up watching the show last year and found that I really REALLY enjoyed it. I had watched maybe two episodes before, obviously one with Black Jack raping Jamie and then the aftermath, but I didn't really care about the show otherwise. It was a nice surprise last year to realize the show was superbly made in almost every way. I was happy when the new season started but I realized fairly soon that I don't give a shit about the show anymore. I've managed to watch two episodes and I'll probably fastforward through the rest of the season just to see what happens. I have listened to a Lord John audiobook, or two maybe, and I certainly want to see him.

Judging by some of the comments I managed to read I'm not the only one disliking this season.

by Anonymousreply 136November 27, 2017 6:16 PM

[quote]Acting seems phoned in

This ^^^

by Anonymousreply 137November 28, 2017 2:18 AM

This week's episode is another snoozefest. I'll be glad when they move past this plot point and add some of the other regulars back in.

by Anonymousreply 138November 28, 2017 2:44 AM

I've now fastforwarded through seven episodes. I practically only watch scenes with Jamie and Lord John. Say what you want about Gabaldon but she certainly knows how to write interesting and complex characters, or at least I assume most of the stuff happening in the show comes from the books. Even though Jamie acted a bit phobically when Lord John came on to him he still later offered to have sex with Lord John in exchange for taking care of his son. That's... I mean, hmm, wow. We need more heroes like this.

by Anonymousreply 139November 28, 2017 10:51 PM

Okay, based on the threads here, last year I watched the Sex Slave episode where the evil guy raped the red-haired guy over and over.

And the red-haired guy CAME while being raped? Right? And he was ashamed that he came?

Or did I dream that while falling asleep through the dull yet creepy episode.

by Anonymousreply 140November 28, 2017 10:56 PM

I'm sure in Gabaldon's twisted mind this was the only way her guilty religious conscience could imagine a scenario of two men fucking. But then the TV producers added insult to injury; instead of making it look like a gritty, ugly rape they shot it like a soft-focus, romantic sex scene. So what could have raised awareness about sexual violence or prison rape was entirely regressive and reinforced the misconception that sexual assault is about passion and not violence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141November 30, 2017 4:33 PM

The author is so fixated on rape it’s staggering. And next season we’ll have one of the main storylines pivot around it. Not looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 142November 30, 2017 10:45 PM

I have not watched the rape episode. It was bad enough in the book. I can't handle sadism/torture. Gabaldon is an odd bird.

by Anonymousreply 143November 30, 2017 11:36 PM

Hmmm, based on all the shit that is currently coming out about men's behavior towards women in today's society, do you really think that men in the 1700's weren't raping and groping women? I think Gabaldon is pretty accurate on how often women were raped when they were essentially considered property back in those days.

by Anonymousreply 144December 1, 2017 3:30 AM

That’s true but the story is not exactly a serious work,what with time travel, sensitive man hero, etc. She’s definitely got some sexual issues, and used rape as a lazy plot ploy.

by Anonymousreply 145December 1, 2017 4:46 AM

Die-in-a-grease-fire Gagballdom has been out of ideas for awhile, now.

by Anonymousreply 146December 1, 2017 7:21 PM

Likewise, celibacy doesn’t sell unless you’re the Pope or the Dalai Lama.

by Anonymousreply 147December 3, 2017 5:43 PM

Wha? Who’s celibate?

by Anonymousreply 148December 3, 2017 10:28 PM

Gay guy unfamiliar with the source material here and I have to say I've been loving this season ever since they boarded that ship. Yes, the wigs are awful but a convincing salt- and sun-parched wig is hard to come by. I swear Sam and his French adoptive son are flirting in every scene they're in.

[quote]I noticed the producer, Ron Moore, is really plugging (no pun intended) his fat wife, the costume designer, Terry Dresbach.

I don't know about the fat part but she's very talented. Tom&Lorenzo made a post at the beginning of this season, praising her skills to high heavens, and she said on Twitter it made her cry reading that. I wish those two had written more about this show but they stopped recapping it after receiving death threats from hardcore fans at the faintest sign of criticism. Just look at the AV Club comment section where the fans post essays rebuking the reviewer. It's all a bit much.

DL seems to be largely shitting on this season/series, which is refreshing to see, even though I'm loving it.

by Anonymousreply 149December 4, 2017 12:51 AM

So, they happened to go to Jamaica where the woman who owns the jewelry box was? She left the box in Scotland.

by Anonymousreply 150December 4, 2017 1:10 AM

Oh, for craps sake, Lord John and Willy also wound up in Jamaica?

by Anonymousreply 151December 4, 2017 1:28 AM

Oh, I see now, everyone from the series, dead or alive, wound up on Jamaica.

by Anonymousreply 152December 4, 2017 1:36 AM

Ian certainly is a homely lad.

by Anonymousreply 153December 4, 2017 2:29 AM

[quote]those two had written more about this show but they stopped recapping it after receiving death threats from hardcore fans at the faintest sign of criticism.

TLo should have ignored those rabid fancunts and held their ground.

by Anonymousreply 154December 4, 2017 3:04 AM

This show is beginning to look like a bad 1960s Hammer Films horror film. Last night's episode was the the worst.

by Anonymousreply 155December 4, 2017 5:46 PM

Or a bad 1960'a sitcom...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156December 4, 2017 6:53 PM

Geillis really tried with her seduction, but she's as fug as Ian.

by Anonymousreply 157December 5, 2017 4:44 AM

Well, they in deplorable country now, bitches! Is this what you wanted?! Nice misdirect with the Irish accents, making us think they landed in Ireland. Loved the finale but thought Jaime should've travelled to modern-day Boston and be stupified at every turn. The not-Geillis severed head and the twitchy fingers made me howl.

Favourite quote: "If I go back, Jaime, I might never be able to return. But if I do return, we'll do it up the ass for sure."

Last week's episode got the dreaded D+ from the AV Club because "Showing the horrors of slavery through the eyes of uncomfortable white people centers their comparatively minor trauma rather than the actual trauma of the slaves. It’s voyeuristic and plays into the white savior narrative." Wypipo be crazy.

R157 That feet portion of her seduction dragged so much it started to look like a comedy sketch. And she desperately needed bangs as she looked like a Borg queen with that wig.

by Anonymousreply 158December 10, 2017 12:00 PM

Let's eliminate another fun character by severing their head! Note to sound editor: Next time a fake hand twitches, mute the mechanical clicking sound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159December 11, 2017 4:18 AM

This whole show has degenerated into a Barbara Cartland novel.

by Anonymousreply 160December 11, 2017 7:13 PM

Congratulations to the incredible @caitrionambalfe, who can say so much with just one look, on the @goldenglobes nomination! We couldna be more excited.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 11, 2017 7:21 PM

R161 I've been telling people in this thread all along that she's a competent actress. Apart from that horrid take when she finds out about Frank's passing, there isn't a faulty note with this one. And she gets her tits out on cue like a consummate professional. That has to count for something as well.

by Anonymousreply 162December 11, 2017 7:40 PM

I wonder who Sam pissed off...? Third year in a row with no nomination. It’s peculiar.

by Anonymousreply 163December 11, 2017 10:26 PM

R162, stage-y, exaggerated reaction shots are a big problem for Balfe. We see it whenever Jamie’s chatting up someone at a party and Claire does the “jealous old ball-and-chain” side eyeing that Balfe learned from watching “I Love Lucy”’reruns.

by Anonymousreply 164December 11, 2017 11:48 PM

Can't wait for young Ian to become a Mohawk. He becomes the most interesting character in the series.

by Anonymousreply 165December 12, 2017 5:04 AM

Do the sex scenes in the show give anyone else severe secondhand embarrassment? There’s something tremendously uncomfortable about them.

by Anonymousreply 166December 12, 2017 1:46 PM

R166 Yes, watching a homosexual trying to fake a sex scene with a frau is always uncomfortable to me. I FF through it every time.

by Anonymousreply 167December 12, 2017 1:49 PM

Cringe city! For all the macho dialogue, he's extremely passive. It's mostly the bad writing. It worked when he had to play the sexual naif in S1 but as a mature man with cabin fever he should be horny as hell. Instead, he waits forever to let her seduce him and then tries to, er... bottom. This is where we need a hardie sailor to burst in, throw Claire out and pound the shit out of him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168December 12, 2017 4:06 PM

[quote]Instead, he waits forever to let her seduce him and then tries to, er... bottom.

Wait, what? Se they [italic]did[/italic] talk about taking it up the ass? I was making a joke at R158 but I had Claire in mind, not Jaime getting pegged by her. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 169December 12, 2017 4:23 PM

No, he never said that but it's what the scene evokes for a lot of us, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 170December 12, 2017 5:01 PM

is there a male rape of Sam?

by Anonymousreply 171December 12, 2017 5:04 PM

R171 Yes, in the final episode of the first season.

by Anonymousreply 172December 12, 2017 5:09 PM

Not talking about rape, FFS. And it's Jamie, not Sam. Although, this season it's sometimes hard to tell.

by Anonymousreply 173December 12, 2017 6:52 PM

Ladies, please take your "Sam's not a *real* man so he can't convincingly pretend to make love to a woman" bullshit back to your dedicated Sam Heughan thread(s).

by Anonymousreply 174December 12, 2017 9:34 PM

R174 Not a lady and no one said such a thing. We just said we cringe and/or don't find the lovemaking scenes interesting. It's a discussion board so anyone is free to point out anything they want. It's not like we're derailing this (very dead) thread or anything.

by Anonymousreply 175December 12, 2017 9:42 PM

So many lies. The bachelorette party is over until next season. Go hang out somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 176December 12, 2017 9:55 PM

[quote]Sam's a *real* actor who can't convincingly play his character, this season.

Fixed that for you, R174.

by Anonymousreply 177December 13, 2017 3:37 AM

I found Season 3 completely bonkers! Too much effort was put in the settings and photography and how the actors posed for the camera that there was no chemistry left between the leading couple! Sex scenes were unbelievably corny and cringe-y. The last scene on the beach... let me not get started... people pose so beautifully symmetrical and gaze into each other eyes after gone through life and death experience and of course lets not forget to ignore the people they come to our rescue....now zoom out a few times, show us some nice scenery and season 4 is on its way!

by Anonymousreply 178December 18, 2017 7:54 PM

Accents are ridiculous. Some actors can't stay in the same accent within one sentence. And its fraubait

by Anonymousreply 179December 18, 2017 8:00 PM

I like costume dramas so I’m addicted, but it’s an awful series. For one stretch, they’re in the Scottish highlands. Then they’re in the French Court. A completely different culture but they fit right in. Then they’re in Jamaica, and coincidentally, so are a bunch of other characters they know. There is so much that is ridiculous, that it’s just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 180December 18, 2017 8:58 PM

Not surprised Anne Kenney bailed from that clusterfuck of a writer’s room.

by Anonymousreply 181December 18, 2017 9:56 PM

What was all the buzz about Sam being bitchy in a tweet? Something about not being invited on a talk show?

by Anonymousreply 182December 27, 2017 2:42 AM

It's fraubait. If you're a Frau, you'll love it and start 10,000 threads about it. If you're a grown man, you'll be bored.

by Anonymousreply 183December 27, 2017 3:25 AM
by Anonymousreply 184December 30, 2017 2:06 PM

The last episode of the season got a bad score again from the AV Club because, among other things, the white woman watching the natives dance was highly problematic. Or something.

That reviewer's gonna squirm her ass off when she sees how they'll depict the slaves and Claire's interactions with them in Deploraland. I want the writers to make her into a secret first inciter of the slave liberation movement, just to piss off Kayla.

by Anonymousreply 185December 30, 2017 2:25 PM

It started interesting enough. Now it is more like Downton Abbey was, you know when you whine about the plots, the contriviance, but can't take away your eyes from it?

It is now like a lush, luxurious soap opera. Take it for what it is and don't feel guilty about the kind of fun it provides. Yes, characters meet again all the time in most unexpected places and time against logic and realism.

The colours are gorgeous, so are the landscapes. Some subplots are interesting and well researched, some are unbelievably dumb, or seem to be taken from a third rate bodice ripper. Some characters are nuanced and realistic, some are grotesque caricatures, some are obviously products of a novel but very endearing. The actor playing the main love interest is very easy on the eyes. Very easy. He also has a pleasant deep voice. There is no shame in enjoying to look at a good looking man.

OP, watching this won't make you more intelligent or enlightened but it is an entertaing way to pass time on a very cold day or evening.

by Anonymousreply 186January 2, 2018 3:05 AM

Colin McFarlane kicks off the slave casting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187January 5, 2018 6:52 PM

Uh, thanks, but passing on Rapelander Season 4: The Minstrel Show.

by Anonymousreply 188January 5, 2018 11:53 PM

Preview of season 4 tonite 5 second preview of boring scene, now wait 10 months for season 4 to actually start . I don’t see how stars expects viewers to remain interested. Too many better shows on so many networks now - Amazon, Netflix etc.

by Anonymousreply 189January 15, 2018 3:41 AM

I lost interest long ago. Gave up on the show

by Anonymousreply 190January 15, 2018 4:05 AM

I am nearing the end of season 1 (which feels like it's really 2 seasons) and the thing I don't like about it is all that ever happens is one person or another gets kidnapped....or somehow taken away. There's never a shortage of someone being dragged off and having to be rescued.

In fact....there's very little else!

Besides that, I like it a lot! I just wish there was some new form of conflict.

by Anonymousreply 191January 16, 2018 11:01 PM

Not to worry - lots of rapes await! Because what other form of conflict could a female author possibly devise?

by Anonymousreply 192January 21, 2018 9:05 PM

Did Randall have an orgasm while he was whipping Jamie? He sure seemed to get off on it.

by Anonymousreply 193April 10, 2018 5:04 AM

Gay scene that was deleted from last season.

The Outlander fandom is very homophobic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194April 11, 2018 9:46 PM

r194 Wait, wait? WTF?! I had no idea!

by Anonymousreply 195April 11, 2018 9:52 PM

If you like whipping scenes, it can't be beat.

by Anonymousreply 196April 11, 2018 11:22 PM

So they can show graphic male rape but not a tender scene between two men?

by Anonymousreply 197April 14, 2018 5:35 PM

Outlander fandom is very conservative and homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 198April 14, 2018 9:36 PM

[bold]Starz Orders Two More Seasons of ‘Outlander’[/bold]

Fuck yes!!

[quote]Starz has given a two-season renewal to fantasy drama “Outlander,” taking the show into its sixth season.

[quote]The series from Sony Pictures Television is among the most-watched premium TV programs with an average of 5.8 million viewers per episode in season three, based on multiplatform viewing. “Outlander’s” fourth season, now shooting in Scotland, will premiere in November, Starz chief Chris Albrecht said Wednesday.

[quote]“Fans can rest assured their beloved Claire and Jamie will be back facing new challenges, adversaries and adventures in seasons five and six as we delve into American history and continue the story of the Frasers as they settle in the New World,” said Albrecht.

[quote]Seasons five and six will run 12 episodes apiece. “Outlander” has delivered 13 episodes per season for the past two years. The show’s elongated first season spanned 16 episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199May 10, 2018 1:53 AM

Season 4 first look. New World! Deplorables - now in period costume! Silver fillings! Very attractive Native American!

Returns this November. Can't wait to resume watching this trainwreck. Claire will probably single-handedly start the Revolutionary War and I am [italic]here[/italic] for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200July 31, 2018 12:40 AM

Are you excited about season 4?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201September 10, 2018 10:42 PM

Outlander Season 4 doesn't shy away from the realities of 1700s American society, but it makes for an uneasy mix

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202November 2, 2018 11:04 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203November 3, 2018 9:10 AM

‘Outlander’ Team on Why Season 4 Came with the ‘Biggest Challenge’ of the Series

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204November 3, 2018 9:10 AM

Night time soap opera without Alexis.

by Anonymousreply 205November 3, 2018 11:17 AM

Sam Heughan and Caitriona Balfe meet “#Outlander⁠ ⁠ Babies” inspired by their steamy sex scenes - and their reactions are the absolute best

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206November 3, 2018 9:59 PM

nielsen ratings latest: Audience drop in viewers per demographic 19-49 50% and 36% in others

It became predictable and boring. Actors aged considerably

by Anonymousreply 207January 15, 2019 1:22 AM

S1 was ok. After that all downhill imo. S4 is bad, boring story, the lead actors don’t seem to be putting an effort into it anymore and Sophie Skelton is the worst of them all....she can’t seem to show any emotions.

by Anonymousreply 208January 15, 2019 1:36 AM

There's a gay sex scene in the last episode.

I don't think that the homophobic Outlander fandom liked it.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209January 15, 2019 3:08 AM

[quote]here's a gay sex scene in the last episode.

Are you fucking kidding me? Of course, they're fully clothed. That gif is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 210January 15, 2019 3:32 AM

OP Yes, hot men and heaps of gay storylines, ignore the crazy bitches that have commented, it is worth watching

by Anonymousreply 211January 15, 2019 3:35 AM

i cannot believe Richard rankin is being pushed to nominations of any awards. He is doing little and has not drama on him

by Anonymousreply 212January 20, 2019 8:18 PM

writing is sooooo poor, so cliché, even the books are more original

by Anonymousreply 213January 20, 2019 8:19 PM

What has happened????

"Outlander showrunner Matt B. Roberts, has deleted his Twitter account allegedly due to fans"

Jan 18 2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214January 20, 2019 9:00 PM

Watch a few minutes and find out for yourself.

Thread closed

by Anonymousreply 215January 20, 2019 9:02 PM

Some seasons are worth watching 1st specially and the ending of season 3. Other than that. The 4th is not so good just forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 216January 20, 2019 11:35 PM

R215 just can't imagine why anyone would want his opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217January 21, 2019 12:01 AM

[quote]Actors aged considerably

That usually happens when 20 years has passed.

by Anonymousreply 218January 22, 2019 4:29 PM

If you want to watch it, combine it with another activity such as kidney dialysis. That way view Outlander won't be a total waste of your time.

by Anonymousreply 219January 22, 2019 4:40 PM

I stopped watching when they killed off Jack Randall. He was the only interesting character.

by Anonymousreply 220January 22, 2019 4:42 PM

R220 How charming that JR gets stabbed in the dick. Then, he miraculously lives on to battle the Highlanders at Culloden. If that isn't enough to suspend disbelief, we're treated to a poetic, slo-mo, spiraling death dance with his rape victim, thus reminding us of how this shamelessly regressive show conflates sexual violence with romance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221January 23, 2019 7:13 AM

R221 totally agree

🤢

by Anonymousreply 222January 23, 2019 9:01 AM

I'm still watching sporadically. The first season was so fascinating and tense, I couldn't wait to see the next episode. The second season had a great opening scene: Claire in her 18th c gown, flagging down a motorist and screaming "Tell me who won the Battle of Culloden! "

But it's gone steadily downhill since then. This season has focussed on the daughter and her occasional boyfriend. It's one cliched scene after another, totally predictable.

by Anonymousreply 223January 23, 2019 9:44 AM

I like it but the last few episodes on places like couchtuner have badly out of sync sound. 😕

by Anonymousreply 224January 23, 2019 10:04 AM

Whatever it was : rape sex love romance death violence sexual violence and perversion. It all worked and now it does not

by Anonymousreply 225January 24, 2019 10:39 PM

It’s very rapie. I think lack of historically tangible things, like castles and such, make rape the go-to thing for the series.

And then they insert the characters in Versailles, in Washington’s carriage, oh, for Pete’s sake!

by Anonymousreply 226January 24, 2019 10:59 PM

it is better than the shades of the grey, but the same audience. So a gay Sam simply doesnt fit the narrative

by Anonymousreply 227January 24, 2019 11:03 PM

My advice is the watch the first season and maybe the second and then read recaps for the remaining seasons if you're still interested. It loses its way once they kill off most of the Scottish characters and leave for the New World.

by Anonymousreply 228January 24, 2019 11:51 PM

And oddly, most of the people they left in Scotland independently turn up in North Carolina, after they all spent a little time in Jamaica.

by Anonymousreply 229January 24, 2019 11:56 PM

Just curious...are a lot of people posting here from the GAY Sam Heughan thread?

by Anonymousreply 230January 24, 2019 11:59 PM

[quote]But it's gone steadily downhill since then. This season has focussed on the daughter and her occasional boyfriend. It's one cliched scene after another, totally predictable.

Yep and it's unbelievable that the ratings are improving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231January 25, 2019 3:55 AM

No amount of lipstick is gonna help that pig.

by Anonymousreply 232January 25, 2019 4:55 AM

Really r231? I heard viewership was way down.

by Anonymousreply 233January 25, 2019 5:14 AM

R233 Maybe viewers tuned in back again. It was the second best so far! R230 they recommended us this post to talk about the series as they want their post to be strictly bout the gay man in Sam

by Anonymousreply 234January 26, 2019 4:16 AM

Okay, seems like they hate Heughan being successful and it gets really tiresome r234.

by Anonymousreply 235January 26, 2019 4:26 AM

R235, Nope.

We've ve saying that Sam has been carrying the show on his shoulders and that he's the best thing of this season.

by Anonymousreply 236January 26, 2019 6:03 PM

but the show is going downhill

by Anonymousreply 237January 27, 2019 2:21 AM

Ratings are up, show is hot, fuck off haters

by Anonymousreply 238January 27, 2019 2:25 AM

I've been enjoying this season more than the rest.

by Anonymousreply 239January 27, 2019 4:01 AM

For real. So many on this thread keep badmouthing the show. I think this season and the first have been the best of the series.

by Anonymousreply 240January 27, 2019 7:54 AM

R240 They are the mentals on the SH is gay thread, all they do is bitch about him, as only a really hateful Frau can. It is a shitsow and teeming with homophobia in every post

by Anonymousreply 241January 27, 2019 6:22 PM

Homphobia in DL?

by Anonymousreply 242January 28, 2019 12:20 AM

The only homophobes in the Sam Heughan threads are trolls like R241 who have been desperately trying to close and derail the Sam Is Gay discussions. Since they failed, those same trolls have landed here and want to stir the pot again.

Anyway, they're not going to change things.

The Scottish Sun: "FAN FURY Outlander fans rage over series four ending as writers slammed for snubbing important scenes from the book"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243January 28, 2019 12:47 AM

S4 has not quite made it. Though Claire and Sam is the best part. I am sorry for RRankin but as hetero as he is he is bland and unimpressive. As If he just read the script unwillingly. Some actors are hesitant at the scene just there for the pay and recognition.

by Anonymousreply 244January 28, 2019 1:33 AM

the ending was meh . And that has nothing to do with Sam being gay. It is a lot to do with the poorest writing on the series yet. Perhaps is the books which were not so good after all.

by Anonymousreply 245January 28, 2019 1:39 AM

r243 Hey cunt, the show is rating well, already renewed and you still sit in cunt sweat alone

BWHAHAHAHA

by Anonymousreply 246January 28, 2019 7:27 AM

Haven’t read the books but enjoyed this season.

by Anonymousreply 247January 28, 2019 7:28 AM

Why do the writers make up additional, pointless plotlines when there are already better ones in the book?

by Anonymousreply 248January 29, 2019 3:08 PM

R246 is just continuing the offensiveness that Outlander S4 started. It’s a new trend in PR.

by Anonymousreply 249January 29, 2019 3:22 PM

The best part of this season was Jacosta's sofa. Adored that print! I also appreciated how obvious it was that Gabaldon was masturbating to The Last of the Mohicans (1992) while writing.

by Anonymousreply 250January 29, 2019 3:28 PM

R249 Haha either that or S4 was such a low-budget hack job that their PR consists of abusive internet trolls like R246 trying to bully people into liking it.

R250 Of course, because Babbledon writing fanfic is what started the whole trashy book series.

by Anonymousreply 251January 29, 2019 3:31 PM

I wonder who liked it. Even Jacosta - who is an amazing actress was meh.

by Anonymousreply 252January 30, 2019 10:16 PM

I think Clair is the worst actress going. When she has a hissy fit, about once an episode, it is simply unbelievable. And, it’s always about some terrible human right’s abuse, and never because she just hates someone for wearing the same dress as she, to some party.

Also her self importance as a healer. Blech!

by Anonymousreply 253January 30, 2019 10:26 PM

I watched S1. Agreeing with R253, I never got into Clair's character, and I thought Jamie's actor was too old for the role, but the rest of the casting was great. And I did read the original novel, none of the sequels, though.

Never followed them to France for S2. I would watch S1 again, though. Murtagh was a hottie.

by Anonymousreply 254January 30, 2019 10:59 PM

Claire also has that dumbass, self satisfied, smirk she wears to look approvingly at all around her. Until someone makes her mad.

I think she was too old for season one when she was supposed to be in her early 20s.

And she really ought to try to have the outlook of someone born about 1915. Meaning, lots of Church, very modest clothing, dislike for Gays, anti-alcohol, etc.

by Anonymousreply 255January 30, 2019 11:08 PM

R255 Sam was supposedly 22 and she was 28 in Season One.

by Anonymousreply 256January 31, 2019 12:03 AM

R255 Born around the 20s “La belle epoque” people just to be far more open to gay and definitely, no matter the century, except in Muslim countries. Alcohol has always been consumed. When did Scottish whisky factories closed? And beer production? Wineries. Even the most traditional christians have wine because it is part of the mass riual. Bread and wine convert into body and blood of Jesus. I can take modest clothing but anything else not really.

by Anonymousreply 257January 31, 2019 12:08 AM

If 28 at war’s end in 1945, that makes her DOB to be about 1917.

by Anonymousreply 258January 31, 2019 12:09 AM

Excuse me, this is the JOCASTA'S SOFA thread, dedicated to discussion of the current show. Take your hatred of Claire back to the GAY JAMIE thread where it belongs.

by Anonymousreply 259January 31, 2019 12:26 AM

Didn't know there was a gay Jamie thread, Miss Thang. smdh. I should have suspected, but, to my knowledge, discussing casting has nothing to do with Jamie's sexuality.

I don't even know who Jocasta is, let alone anything about bitch's sofa. Does it have cumstains? Do you have pics, R259? Sounds like she's hijacked a perfectly good thread about the quality of the Outlander series.

by Anonymousreply 260January 31, 2019 12:32 AM

[quote] R255: And she really ought to try to have the outlook of someone born about 1915. Meaning, lots of Church, very modest clothing, dislike for Gays, anti-alcohol, etc.

I can’t say about Europeans born about 1917, but in the US, Catholicism was still very important. (As an aside, when I bought my home in Boston in 1990, I was within walking distance of these 8 major Catholic facilities: Marist Church; Jesuit Urban Center & Church; Franciscan Church; German Catholic Church; Shrine of Our Lady of Good Voyage; St. Cecelia Church; Prudential Chapel; and Holy Trinity Cathedral. Three have closed recently.) In “It’s a Wonderful Life”, they all attended church on VE Day, and VJ Day.

Prohibition, 1920 –1933, was popular, at first. Laborers had been drinking their paychecks on the way home on payday. That was when Scottish whisky factories closed, and beer production, and wineries.

As for Gays, my Great Uncle was a gay guy who used to attend raves in Manhattan before WWI. His family learned this at some point. I don’t know if he was accepted, but he eventually married a woman. No kids. I think it’s safe to suspect that homosexuality was less and less accepted amongst God-fearing souls, as you go back further in time.

by Anonymousreply 261January 31, 2019 12:36 AM

Balfe never got that she was playing a WW II era combat nurse. She always acted like a petulant modern-day feminist. She obviously did minimal research and ignored all the potential for a more nuanced performance. She could have elevated the material by bringing a degree of humility, dignity and restraint.

by Anonymousreply 262January 31, 2019 9:25 PM

This photo was taken during WWI. That’s my Gay Great Uncle, in uniform, in the front. It was his send-off party, about 1917, about when “Claire” was born. This is how they dressed for a beach party. I know fashion changed considerably by WWII, but this is the style of dress when Claire was raised.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263January 31, 2019 10:01 PM

Here are two pics of my Dad and his siblings, between about 1917 and 1920. I’m guessing that the first photo was at Easter. The second photo shows the kids fully dressed at the beach. Just another example of the style of clothing Claire would have worn as a child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264January 31, 2019 10:14 PM

Hmm, not it looks like the kids were wearing the same clothes, years apart.

by Anonymousreply 265January 31, 2019 10:16 PM

During Prohibition, Churches were exempt and were allowed wine for communion.

Doctors were also exempt, when alcohol was used for medical purposes. There was a drug store near me in Boston that didn’t close until the early 2000’s. It still had a Prohibition-era exemption that allowed it to sell beer on Sundays, when all the other package stores were closed and even supermarkets were not allowed to sell alcohol. Amazing, huh?

by Anonymousreply 266January 31, 2019 10:25 PM

Wasnt she british? There was no prohibition in europe. Claire is english and they only move to Harvard in Boston for a few years by the 1960s

by Anonymousreply 267January 31, 2019 11:18 PM

In the series Claire is english and the husband is scottish origin. She went to WW2 field camp by train.

by Anonymousreply 268January 31, 2019 11:19 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269January 31, 2019 11:24 PM

Sorry it is actually normandy. The 20s was indeed a time for women independence in Britain. The Great war made women work in factories because men were fighting. So they had their own salaries and would go out in the pubs just like now. “the roaring 20s” Women had that Claire “feminism” at that precise time. Even my mother grew up in the 1940s and she was more free than I have in many ways.

by Anonymousreply 270January 31, 2019 11:32 PM

From a textbook “Women over 30 had been given the vote in 1918, and by 1928 this had been extended to all women over the age of 21.

Women felt more confident and empowered, and this new independence was reflected in the new fashions. Hair was shorter, dresses were shorter, and women started to smoke, drink and drive motorcars. The attractive, reckless, independent ‘flapper’ appeared on the scene, shocking society with her wild behaviour. Girl Power 1920s-style had arrived!

by Anonymousreply 271January 31, 2019 11:36 PM

I think she truly reflects that time. And in fact S1 is great. It went downhill in s3 and S2 was fine with all the french liaison, fashion, beauty and they irradiate happiness. The marriage make some sense. Snd then the print book appaerance was excellent later on.

Indidnt like anything about S4. I wouldnt say it is worth watching. The lens goes into Claires daughter and her silly boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 272January 31, 2019 11:41 PM

R272, you are not alone.......

[quote]"What season 4 of Outlander made blatantly obvious, is that there’s no easy way to change the focus of your story by bringing in another love story to direct the attention too. Both Brianna and Roger are wildly unlikable, and even though there was the “will he come back for her or won’t he” moment during the finale, it’s time to put their story on the back burner for the betterment of the series. Better yet, the sooner they can be sent back to the 1970’s the better. If they can’t take their baby with them when they do it, better yet, because it would be far more interesting watching Claire and Jamie raise their grandchild, than seeing Brianna and Roger do it. Season 5 is going to be a make or break season as to whether or not the series has the legs to keep going."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273February 1, 2019 1:16 AM

Related: In case anyone needs more examples of blatant hypocrisy, this asshole comes out as gay and won't admit he was wrong in trying to convert homosexuals into straight people. smh

[quote]“While I am pleased for Mr. Matheson that he has found a path forward for his life, I can’t help but think of the hundreds if not thousands of people who are still stuck in the closet, a closet that was created in part by Mr. Matheson himself. I hope that Mr. Matheson will do whatever he can to rectify the harm that he’s inflicted on many people in the LGBTQ community, myself included,” said Chaim Levin, who was psychologically harmed by attending Journey into Manhood, and was later a key plaintiff in the landmark Southern Poverty Law Center lawsuit that shut down Jews Offering New Alternatives to Homosexuality (JONAH). Matheson was also tied to JONAH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274February 2, 2019 7:18 PM

How is that related to Outlander? There is another post for gay Jamie

by Anonymousreply 275February 5, 2019 2:28 AM

[quote]r214 "Outlander showrunner Matt B. Roberts, has deleted his Twitter account allegedly due to fans"

LOCK 'EM UP!

by Anonymousreply 276February 5, 2019 2:39 AM

It sounds like season 5 is gonna be another mess......

Outlander’ Season 5: Caitriona Balfe Interview on Aging Claire and American History BY FRED TOPEL ON FEBRUARY 12, 2019

They start shooting in a couple of weeks but she hasn't seen any of the scripts yet........

[quote]Caitriona Balfe: “We have not started shooting yet. We are going to start in a couple of weeks so I’m here for the rainy season of Valet and then I’ll go back to a rainy season in Glasgow.”

[quote] Have you seen any of the scripts yet? Caitriona Balfe: “I’ve seen some outlines but no scripts as yet.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277February 14, 2019 4:16 AM

I haven t watched the season finale and after reading the recaps, I don't think I'll bother. Apparently the next book? or two? are badly written and boring so it's time the producers deviated from those. Infant mortality was quite high back then so have the baby die and Briana and Roger go back through the stones. Then Jamie and Claire and Lord John Grey can have adventures. And Murtaugh.

by Anonymousreply 278February 14, 2019 7:19 AM

The fourth season was an offensive mess of epic proportions if you care even a little bit about slavery and indigenous people. I'm glad the AV Club torched it in its weekly reviews. They should just fuck off back to Europe next season and forget this deplorable detour ever happened. Even Richard Rankin pisses me off now and I was his biggest fan just months ago.

r278 They can't have Brianna and Roger go back to present-day Boston to give their child the best possible opportunities and just basic health care. Haven't you heard that planting herbs on stolen land and pestering the Native Americans at every turn is actual paradise on earth, and definitely trumps being a successful surgeon in '70s Boston? It's fun for the whole family! Maybe Brianna will change her mind when she gets her period again and realizes there's no disposable pads or tampons lying around. Doubt it though, 'cause she a dumb bitch.

by Anonymousreply 279February 14, 2019 2:22 PM

R279 is on a rant. You've invested lots of thought and fury in your post. Don't read the books, don't watch the show if it affects you this much.

by Anonymousreply 280February 14, 2019 3:18 PM

r280 Not ranting, I just loved this show so much, I couldn't believe just how downhill it went this season.

You're always welcome not to read people's takes if they affect you so much, dear.

by Anonymousreply 281February 14, 2019 4:00 PM

You know the fire that brought Brianna and Roger back to Claire? Maybe they're the ones killed. One can always hope.

by Anonymousreply 282February 17, 2019 7:32 AM

r282 Ha! Hadn't even thought of that possibility but I sure hope you end up being right.

You know, I really thought they would do something with the fact that both Brianna and Roger are historians. But nope, they're just bland boring people, completely uninterested in the world and the times around them. You're an American student of history and you merely blink when your mother tells you she had met George Washington? Okay then.

They need to course-correct and shift the attention back to Claire next season. Because it comes across like they're phasing her out right now and people aren't having it. I still think bringing Jamie to '70s Boston would make for a great season or two. Imagine the possibilities and the comedy!

by Anonymousreply 283February 17, 2019 10:14 AM

It's weird how the time traveling plot has been neglected. There have been brief, unsatisfactory references to massive issues, slavery and the annihilation of the Indians. The upcoming Revolutionary War will be in the next season I guess. But most of the timey-whimey stuff concerned reuniting Brianna with Roger and then with her parents. Nothing as suspenseful as the first season when Claire arrived at the castle without knowing what year it was and had to figure out who was king while talking to a suspicious laird.

by Anonymousreply 284February 20, 2019 12:01 PM

R284 Yeah, watching Claire being lost for the first time really was something else. Doubt they can recapture that feeling again, except through a reboot.

Regarding the Revolutionary War, I admit I don't understand how Claire ran away from one war in Scotland (after actively helping to incite it!) but now she's staying put in the US even though she knows full well what's coming. Does she have no sense of self-preservation? Or is daily conflict with the natives so titillating to her that possibly dying in a war might be worth it? Surely there are better places to settle down during that time period that involve little to no bloodshed?

by Anonymousreply 285February 20, 2019 12:25 PM

[quote]Is Outlander on Starz worth starting?

It's certainly worth stopping.

I was out when Claire made an MRI out of a log of wood, some moss and a LOT of dung.

by Anonymousreply 286February 20, 2019 12:28 PM

New interesting article that explains which company (STARZ, SONY, Lionsgate, Tall Ships) owns what, why CEO Albrecht left STARZ two years early on his contract, and why it means Outlander will be cancelled after Season 6.........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287February 20, 2019 7:40 PM

r287 Yeah, it's done for. Six seasons is a nice run for any show, so it's not like it's going to be a tragedy when it gets cancelled. And I've seen some fans saying both the books and the show should have ended with the Battle of Culloden as it's all gone downhill since.

by Anonymousreply 288February 20, 2019 8:25 PM

Well she ran away before the Battle of Culloden because she was pregnant and didn't want to give birth in the 18th century.

It should've ended with her arriving back in the 20th century in 18th c garb, flagging down the motorist and shrieking, Who won the Battle of Culloden?

IOW, realizing that her (and Gelis') efforts had failed, Jamie was dead, and she was pregnant. Does she slink back to husband or face it alone? -Finis-

by Anonymousreply 289February 23, 2019 2:59 AM

How many more characters will get raped before the series ends? Maybe it should be a drinking game. smh

by Anonymousreply 290February 24, 2019 6:33 AM

It's in a competition with Game of Thrones.

by Anonymousreply 291February 26, 2019 12:02 PM

What a surprise - Heughan tweeted that he'd seen outlines of S5 and fans 'won't be disappointed'. When some queried that, he said that there were many romantic moments and he didn't know what show they'd been watching - watch the condescension and arrogance, mate. Now a lot of the more negative comments have been deleted. So unless there are such things as miracles, it doesn't look like there will be much improvement in S5. Pity.

by Anonymousreply 292March 7, 2019 7:10 AM

The episode where the daughter forgives her rapist and the Indian woman jumps into the fire were fucking stupid beyond belief.

by Anonymousreply 293March 7, 2019 6:24 PM

r293 My turning point with this show and I hate-watched the rest of the season. Just when I thought we were going to get a story about the natives, they introduce a white French priest and center the whole fucking episode around his heartbreak and his crisis of faith. It's like the writers were competing in how outrageous and offensive they could be.

by Anonymousreply 294March 7, 2019 7:33 PM

I wonder what nationalities played the natives. The whole thing was shot in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 295March 8, 2019 2:18 AM

r295 Canadian First Nation folk. Some US Native American groups were annoyed (with justification) but it all boiled down to rules on actor guilds, professional group memberships, differing national actor regulations etc.

by Anonymousreply 296March 8, 2019 2:42 AM

First pic from SEason 5.

New wig for Sam -thanks God. Too much photoshop for Balfe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297April 16, 2019 6:55 PM

Official synopsis from r297's article:

[quote]The Frasers of the Ridge are here! The fifth season of “Outlander” sees a continuation of the Fraser family’s adventures, as they navigate the trials and tribulations of life in colonial America. Establishing a home in the New World is by no means an easy task – and protecting it proves even more difficult – particularly in the wild backcountry of North Carolina, during a period of dramatic socio-political upheaval. [bold]As Claire knows all too well[/bold], friends, neighbors and countrymen are unwittingly marching towards Revolution, with members of the elite ruling classes struggling to stifle the alarming undercurrent of unrest triggered by the Regulator Movement. Against this backdrop, which soon heralds the birth of the new American nation, Claire and Jamie are forced to ask themselves just how far they are willing to go to protect their home, and [bold]praying[/bold] there will be no reason to light the “fiery cross,” an ancient Scottish call to arms.

That shit is so crazy to me. Why would someone with full knowledge of the American history willingly stay there when war is about to erupt? Her husband still has PTSD from Culloden but she doesn't give a fuck about any of that. Because she gets off on the adrenaline of wartime, apparently. Being a surgeon in Boston just didn't provide enough gruesome imagery for her, you see. No, she needs the gore of the American Revolutionary War to [italic]really[/italic] get her rocks off.

And in the meantime, she'll just annoy the Cherokee on their stolen land some more, because that's just the price The Other has to pay for her to have a perfect life with a perfect man...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298April 16, 2019 7:13 PM

R298 Claire is a really annoying character.....

by Anonymousreply 299April 16, 2019 9:58 PM

r299 I think Claire's annoyingness pales in comparison to Brianna's and I don't really mind her in general as she can be a smart cookie and has cool arcs. But this decision to settle down in the States years away from a war she knows full well is going to happen is just [italic]stoopid,[/italic] with two Os.

And don't get me started on her land grab, also done with the full historical knowledge of the genocide that allowed her to acquire that perfect little cottage in the woods and the ridiculous acreage along with it. It's character assassination by the book's author and now continued by the showrunners, is what it is. Bitch is like a MAGA icon at this point!

I just wish they went back to Europe. That would be such a simple fix for everything that went wrong this last season.

by Anonymousreply 300April 16, 2019 10:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!