"Amelie and Creature from the Black Lagoon."

Splash II?

by Anonymousreply 208/31/2017

I loved it

by Anonymousreply 308/31/2017

Did you see it R3?

It looks corny.

by Anonymousreply 408/31/2017

Octavia Spencer is also getting talk for a supporting nomination.

by Anonymousreply 508/31/2017

If del Toro wins Best Director -- then a Mexican will have won that award for the fourth time in five years. Not bad, three amigos

by Anonymousreply 608/31/2017

I think it looks interesting. At least it's not a remake or a comic book movie.

by Anonymousreply 708/31/2017

What's not to like? Featuring character actor, Richard Jenkins, in another gay role...

by Anonymousreply 809/04/2017

She's mute in it? That has been done to death. (Marlee, Holly Hunter, Jane Wyman, Miss Patty Duke)

Enough. Learn your lines.

by Anonymousreply 909/04/2017

It just won the Golden Lion. Surefire Oscar contender now.

by Anonymousreply 1009/09/2017

Guillermo is the first Mexican filmmaker to win the prize.

by Anonymousreply 1109/09/2017

Red band trailer.

by Anonymousreply 1209/15/2017

I saw it. It's great and NOT Amelie twee at all. There are stunning moments of gothic brutality. A bit easier to take than Pan's Labyrinth ... but still a beautiful hybrid of a movie.

Hawkins and Spencer are fucking superb.

by Anonymousreply 1309/15/2017

R13 I so hope Hawkins get the Oscar for this. She's such an antidote to the Lawrences of this world.

by Anonymousreply 1409/15/2017

*gets

by Anonymousreply 1509/15/2017

Everybody's so uniformly excellent in this: Hawking, Jenkins, Spencer, Stuhlbarg. Michael Shannon plays such an odious character that it's easy to overlook how good he is, too.

by Anonymousreply 1609/15/2017

Hawkins^^, not Hawking.

by Anonymousreply 1709/15/2017

Why are women so often paired with animal love interests in movies?

by Anonymousreply 1809/15/2017

Looking forward to it. I thought Hellboy was underrated.

by Anonymousreply 1909/15/2017

Guillermo Del Toro loves children death, incest, now bestiality.

by Anonymousreply 2009/15/2017

THE SPIRAL STARICASE meets CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON.

by Anonymousreply 2109/15/2017

Patty Duke said "Wa-wa".

by Anonymousreply 2209/15/2017

Big loser at Spirit Award nominations. What happened? I still remember the near-deafening hype when this opened at film festivals.

by Anonymousreply 2311/24/2017

Give her a Golden Globe first so she can give another batshit-crazy speech and blow her Oscar chances again.

by Anonymousreply 2411/24/2017

Michael Shannon plays an odious character? Groundbreaking. I still haven’t recovered from his terrifying Off-Broadway performance as the Narrator In Our Town. It was like he used Jeffrey Dahmer for inspiration in this classic piece of Americana. Talk about a choice!

by Anonymousreply 2511/24/2017

Video review by Alonso Duralde, Ben Mankiewicz and Christy Lemire. Stunning, emotional, multi-quadrant movie. Has every shade of green you can think of.

I had no idea Stuhlbarg was in this movie as well.

by Anonymousreply 2611/30/2017

Can this director ever fail or lay an egg?

by Anonymousreply 2711/30/2017

R27 Crimson Peak wasn't that good and The Strain was pretty awful.

by Anonymousreply 2811/30/2017

I wasnt crazy about his remake of Dont Be Afraid Of The Dark.

by Anonymousreply 2911/30/2017

I'm one of the (I assume) very few who did not like Pan's Labyrinth. I didn't think the brutality was "earned" and I didn't think he got into the mind of a child, as many said he did. I'm interested in the new one in part because I think Hawkins is great.

by Anonymousreply 3011/30/2017

I saw this tonight and was absolutely blown away. It’s honestly one of the best moviegoing experiences I’ve had in years. I could easily see it being nominated for 10 Oscars: Picture, Director, Actress, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor (Jenkins), Screenplay, Editing, Cinematography, Makeup, and Score. This is one people will be watching for years to come.

by Anonymousreply 3112/04/2017

Does she have to have sex with the monster because she is a kind of monster because she is skinny, plain and mute?

by Anonymousreply 3212/04/2017

I didn't like Pan's Labyrinth and all I can remember is that I didn't like it and there was something gross about it and it was not aesthetically pleasing.

by Anonymousreply 3312/04/2017

R28 Crimson Peak was just dreadful, I agree.

I liked Pan's Labyrinth at the time, but I don't think it's held up that well. I saw the Devil's Backbone a couple of years ago and liked it enough. I can't put my finger on why, but The Shape of Water looks different from the other films of his that I've seen. I'm intrigued by it.

by Anonymousreply 3412/04/2017

People have begun referring to Octavia as "The Black M." Which is horribly, horribly, HORRIBLY insulting to Octavia's talent.

by Anonymousreply 3512/04/2017

Sounds interesting just need to know one thing: is it gory? I love suspense but I hate brutality and gore.

by Anonymousreply 3612/04/2017

I heard the creature eats cats. I assume this is supposed to be quirky and cute, so I’ll miss this one.

by Anonymousreply 37Last Tuesday at 9:13 AM

Not quite, r37. Actually, the creature is a huge fan of “Cats” the musical. Which is admittedly rather disgusting in its own way.

by Anonymousreply 38Last Tuesday at 1:02 PM

Cannot wait to see it I am a sucker for romance combined with fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 39Last Tuesday at 1:57 PM

"The creature eats cats?" How original.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Tuesday at 5:49 PM

It looks fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 41Last Wednesday at 9:34 AM

OH GOD, I HADNT BEEN SO EXCITED TO SEE A MOVIE FOR AGES- SO excited from the trailer, to see this. Even though I agree with R30 and R33 COMPLETELY about PAN but.....

THIS MOVIE IS FOR CHILDREN- WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT! I'M SO SICK OF SURFACE AND NO SUBSTANCE. WHAT THE FUCK? HOW OLD ARE THESE CREATIVES? 10? CANT THEY CRAFT SOMETHING WITH DEPTH AND SOME DEGREE OF CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT? AND CANT I STOP USING CAPS?? NO, I CANT. I AM SO PISSED AT HOLLYWOOD RIGHT NOW FOR GLIDING ON THE SURFACE WHEN THERE COULD HAVE BEEN REAL DIALOGUE ABOUT THESE 2 WORLDS MEETING.

CRAP-CRAP-CRAP- LONG LONG BORING AMATEURISH SLOP. NO WONDER IT DIDNT WIN SCREENPLAY FROM LA CRITICS. WHO'S WATCHING OVER THESE EXPENSIVE PIECES OF DRIVEL??? WHAT A WASTE OF A GREAT IDEA AND AS R33 SAID, NOT AESTHETICALLY PLEASING .

THE LAST TIME I HAD SO MUCH FUN WAS WATCHING HAMILTON ON STAGE FEELING EVERY BIT AS DUPED TO BE THERE AS I WAS HERE. DONT GO! I WARN YOU. WAIT FOR NETFLIX AND FAST FORWARD TO THE DANCE SEQUENCE

by Anonymousreply 42Last Wednesday at 1:42 PM

R42 is wrong about Hamilton and wrong about The Shape of Water, which is a beautiful, exhilarating film.

by Anonymousreply 43Last Wednesday at 1:49 PM

That is what I expected it to be, R42. Good comments. I saw another ad for it today and I thought: I am not going to that.

The Square is kind of fun. Have you seen it?

by Anonymousreply 44Last Wednesday at 1:53 PM

R42 Well, that's disappointing to hear. However, Kyle Smith is trash and your opinion is kinda invalidated by linking to that ridiculous website on a homosexual message board.

by Anonymousreply 45Last Wednesday at 1:57 PM

Sorry R45-I'm not homosexual and just happened to find that review while looking up others who didnt like it either. I dont know that website yet feel NO ONE is invalidated for their opinions. NO ONE.

NOT EVEN HOMOSEXUALS

;)

And thank you R44 for that. Looks good!

by Anonymousreply 46Last Wednesday at 2:19 PM

Lol love an all caps review from the National Review!

With some tweaks this could have been the creature from the black lagoon installment of the dark universe. But no, they seem to be determined to make the dark universe pictures soulless, extremely loud and cgi laden shitfests.

by Anonymousreply 47Last Wednesday at 3:18 PM

R46, you don’t know what the National Review is?

Close your mouth, dear—you’ll attract flies.

by Anonymousreply 48Last Wednesday at 3:21 PM

does she fuck the beast? could be a bigger scandale than armie plowing timmy

by Anonymousreply 49Last Wednesday at 3:29 PM

Does the monsters pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 50Last Wednesday at 9:39 PM

R48-

I didnt check the website nor the reviewer.

I just listened to his words.

if you need externals to judge someone/thing as valid or not, good luck with that.

But I'm from a mindset that doesnt believe in labels of good or bad-nor give much credence to such things

You get more from people that way and have more to offer a discussion than your unrelated comments.

by Anonymousreply 51Last Thursday at 12:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!