Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

You know the beginning scene of the Exorcist? Some excavation site in Egypt or somewhere?

I never understood how it related to the rest of the story?

Can you help explain?

TIA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573October 30, 2020 10:29 PM

It was not in Egypt, but in Iraq. Father Merrin (who will much later in the film exorcise Regan) finds a small statuette of the Babylonian/Assyrian demon Pazuzu, the entity that will possess Regan in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1August 30, 2017 8:19 PM

But how did it get to Regan. Did her mother own the statuette?

by Anonymousreply 2August 30, 2017 8:21 PM

It was the lost Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 3August 30, 2017 8:23 PM

I think it just meant that Pazuzu another term for The Devil, has been around forever and devil worship and demonic possession was thought of as part of ancient lore, but in fact was as real in modern day as it was then. Something like that. Shit. Use your imagination.

by Anonymousreply 4August 30, 2017 8:26 PM

I hope you aren't a native English speaker, R4.

by Anonymousreply 5August 30, 2017 8:31 PM

FFS [R5], what [R4] said is completely fine and makes perfect sense, what is wrong with you??

by Anonymousreply 6August 30, 2017 8:34 PM

I appreciated this scene more as an adult (watched the film as a kid).

The two dogs fighting was eerie.

by Anonymousreply 7August 30, 2017 8:35 PM

Also, the blind(?) woman riding in the horse carriage that almost ran over Merrin.

by Anonymousreply 8August 30, 2017 8:36 PM

Is the book worth reading?

by Anonymousreply 9August 30, 2017 8:40 PM

It has great atmospheric and emotional value as antiquity islamy devily scene setting alone.

by Anonymousreply 10August 30, 2017 8:43 PM

Yes, R9. I read it in one sitting.

by Anonymousreply 11August 30, 2017 8:43 PM

it was 1) setting up an unsettling atmosphere. 2) show that Merrin had a history (this is also further explained a bit later in the film via dialogue) with this demon.

As a note of clarification, nothing in Iraq ends up in Georgetown -- except Merrin. The idea is that the devil can strike anywhere, even a sweet-faced WASP girl in D.C.

by Anonymousreply 12August 30, 2017 8:43 PM

Regan supposedly got possessed through her ouija board interactions with "Captain Howdy," who apparently splits his time between Iraq and Georgetown..

by Anonymousreply 13August 30, 2017 8:59 PM

I've never made it all the way through the original Exorcist movie but weirdly I love Exorcist 3 (& Brad Dourif is fucking hot in it) One of my favourite horrors- any other fans?

by Anonymousreply 14August 30, 2017 9:00 PM

I suppose Regan's crab walking was a sort of demonic Salomés dance.

by Anonymousreply 15August 30, 2017 9:01 PM

An Exorcist thread a few years ago had lots of great information about the plot and action of the movie. One poster suggested that Iraq was on the exact other side of the world from Georgetown and the demon traveled straight through the Earth using the Ouija board as a portal.

Was Regan a mutant? There had to be some kind of power in her else why would the demon want her out of all people.

by Anonymousreply 16August 30, 2017 9:12 PM

Pazuzu was a star-fucker. He couldn't get at world-famous actress Chris MacNeil (she was a real shrew btw) so he took the next best thing in her portly daughter..

by Anonymousreply 17August 30, 2017 9:20 PM

[quote]It was not in Egypt, but in Iraq

Iraq <-- Sumer

I'm assuming there's a Christian connection since the "evil artifact" in Constantine was from Sumer.

by Anonymousreply 18August 30, 2017 9:21 PM

*drawing parallels*

by Anonymousreply 19August 30, 2017 9:21 PM

Why wouldn't the demon possess randomly, just to create chaos, nervous exhaustion, and destroy. Seems like every narcissist we encounter nowadays operates at random. And find victims who don't have an out but aren't special in any way.

by Anonymousreply 20August 30, 2017 9:21 PM

My sister and I got high before watching it in a theatre, and we could not stop laughing.

Fortunately, it was a sparsely attended screening.

by Anonymousreply 21August 30, 2017 9:41 PM

"Also, the blind(?) woman riding in the horse carriage that almost ran over Merrin."

Who looks suspiciously like the actress playing Fr. Damian's mother.

I've always thought when Merrin unearths the idol that in that second it searches for a willing host to enter- and picks Regan. Don't they cut to Georgetown right after that scene?

Friedkin is awesome: Boys In the Band; The Exorcist; The French Connection; Cruising. And they all have that creepy, gritty, dark look.

by Anonymousreply 22August 30, 2017 9:50 PM

[quote] One poster suggested that Iraq was on the exact other side of the world from Georgetown and the demon traveled straight through the Earth using the Ouija board as a portal.

That's bullshit - if you look at the antipodes map you can see that Iraq isn't even remotly close to Georgetown's antipode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 30, 2017 9:54 PM

antipode sounds hostile and insecty.

by Anonymousreply 24August 30, 2017 9:57 PM

According to Exorcist 2,Pazuzu picked Reagan because she was destined to help others and better the world. In the movie it was called being a "good locust".

by Anonymousreply 25August 30, 2017 9:59 PM

Most of the ancient city of Hatra where the opening scene was shot was destroyed by ISIL a few years ago. You can thank those islamic fuckers and the US for this great loss of cultural heritage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 30, 2017 10:02 PM

Does R23's antipode stink?

by Anonymousreply 27August 30, 2017 10:03 PM

I really love the opening of this movie, so mysterious and ominous. The scene after when the camera takes that long shot over Georgetown and into Reagan's house makes me think it was the devil flying right into their attic as Chris MacNeil is reading her script in bed and suddenly hears noises but as was said already, Mr. Howdy was already in the house.

by Anonymousreply 28August 30, 2017 10:05 PM

The clock ticking and suddenly stopping scared the shit out of me

by Anonymousreply 29August 30, 2017 10:08 PM

I agree, R28. And I'm not ashamed to admit that because of it, when I was a kid I was afraid to leave windows open for a LONG time after watching The Exorcist.

What REALLY freaks me out as an adult are the almost subliminal split-second flashes of the images of the white demon face and Pazazu. And let me tell you about the time I was an idiot and used 'Tubular Bells' as my cell phone ringtone....and then one night I got a wrong number call at 2am. Holy shit!

by Anonymousreply 30August 30, 2017 10:11 PM

I thought and still believe that the Exorcist is the most frightening film ever made.

Of course, I am Italian (lapsed) Catholic, so I wonder how much that plays into it.. I have non -Catholic friends who did not think it was scary at all..

by Anonymousreply 31August 30, 2017 10:15 PM

I love horror films like "The Exorcist" that have a great, strong narrative as well as being scary and while I hate that too many horror movies today are just frontloaded with jump scares (Paranormal Activity franchise, the disappointing third "Conjuring" film), R14 does have a point for Exorcist 3. Not the strongest story due to studio interference but perhaps one of THE best jump scares of any horror film ever.

by Anonymousreply 32August 30, 2017 10:21 PM

Ok Ms. Rex Reed post an image or clip of the goddamned jump scare or do I have to go looking for it myself?

by Anonymousreply 33August 30, 2017 10:24 PM

Here, R33.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 30, 2017 10:28 PM

[quote]And let me tell you about the time I was an idiot and used 'Tubular Bells' as my cell phone ringtone

My sister would always freak out when she heard that song on the radio - I was too young to see the movie but I remember how paranoid and nervous she was at the house after seeing it,

by Anonymousreply 35August 30, 2017 10:29 PM

Regan contacted Pazuzu using the Ouiji board. I guess he/she is just on there all the time. My favorite detail is when we see Regan has drawn a lion with wings, and made a statue of a bird like creature. Implying that the demon has been trying to describe what it looks like to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 30, 2017 10:32 PM

Thanks doll, R34. Absolutely horrific you're right.

by Anonymousreply 37August 30, 2017 10:32 PM

R12 that was hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 38August 30, 2017 10:33 PM

What is the general opinion on those Dominion prequels with Stellan Skarsgard? I think I caught maybe 10 minutes of one of them with some creepy underground Byzantine church but never bothered to watch the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 39August 30, 2017 10:36 PM

Did the excavation somehow awaken Pazuzu? The statuette was on the top of a long pole--it did not look like it had just been excavated.

I get that Father Merrin saw a creepy statuette of Pazuzu in Iraq, and that then Pazuzu possessed Regan, but I do not get why Father Merrin seeing the statuette led to Regan being possessed. Would she still have been possessed had he not seen the statuette?

by Anonymousreply 40August 30, 2017 10:39 PM

The younger priest is so fucking hot. Isn't the actor the father of some other actor? Jason Patric or someone?

by Anonymousreply 41August 30, 2017 10:40 PM

[quote]I think it just meant that Pazuzu another term for The Devil

It doesn't mean devil. Regan was never possessed by Satan, just a demon.

by Anonymousreply 42August 30, 2017 10:42 PM

R40 questions.... If I shit in a warm and virgin forest, will god know?

by Anonymousreply 43August 30, 2017 10:44 PM

[quote]My sister and I got high before watching it in a theatre, and we could not stop laughing.

Thank you r21. I also laughed during this silly, silly movie.

by Anonymousreply 44August 30, 2017 10:44 PM

R44, in your opinion is it possible to make a movie about demonic possession or even ANY kind of supernatural goings-on that isn't silly?

by Anonymousreply 45August 30, 2017 10:46 PM

I will only answer if you provide decent popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 46August 30, 2017 10:48 PM

R15, the spider walk wasn't part of the original movie and should not be mentioned in any discussion of The Exorcist, unless you're referring to the director's rerelease in 2000 with its add-ins of previously cut, lesser scenes and additional audio and digital video effects.

I get really annoyed whenever I see the spider walk used a) as a graphic that's supposed to be representative of the movie, like on a T shirt design, or b) in a list of "creepiest horror movie scenes".

The director's cut is illegitimate and best forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 47August 30, 2017 10:50 PM

My mother saw the film at a drive-in in the 1970s. She was Catholic and scared out of her wits. The minute Regan said "Your mother sucks cocks in hell!" a black guy in the next car fell out and started howling with laughter. In fact, every time she cursed he was hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 48August 30, 2017 10:50 PM

Great story R48. I can just picture that.

by Anonymousreply 49August 30, 2017 10:54 PM

WHET Kitty Winn? Now there's someone who's had a strange career - she won the prestigious Cannes award for best actress for her film debut, made only a handful of other movies after that and then seemingly dropped off the face of the Earth.

by Anonymousreply 50August 30, 2017 10:55 PM

R47 the director's cut had only one nice scene put back in and its a short dialogue scene during the actual exorcism where Merrin and Karras are taking a breather. Karras asks why her, and Merrin says there is no real reason; its meant to shake faith/cause despair. Also sort of further explans why a statuette in Iraq has consequences for a little girl in DC.

by Anonymousreply 51August 30, 2017 11:03 PM

I think people laughing hysterically at Regan's profanity in the movie are just immature, right? I mean, how juvenile do you have to be to find that stuff HILARIOUS?

It shows a weak intellect, I think. Only stupid people and little kids think shit like that is hysterical. The idea was that the demon was trying to offend everyone it came into contact with, and get under the priests' skin. The appropriate response as the viewer is to understand that, and stay focused on the next thing that happens. Not fall out of your car and onto the ground laughing.

by Anonymousreply 52August 30, 2017 11:04 PM

R51, yeah that scene isn't too bad. There are others that seem really awkward though. I haven't watched that version since 2000 in the theater so my memory isn't too exact.

Oh, and I was high as hell for it...

by Anonymousreply 53August 30, 2017 11:05 PM

I saw the film in a re-release. I was too young to see it when it originally came out. A bunch of white summer camp counselets took their teenaged black campers (I guess it was a Fresh Air camp) to the midnight showing I attended.

I was never so entertained in my life. The girls were jumping up, yelling, "Get back, Satan!" And at one point they all jumped up and were yelling, "The power of Christ compels you!" while imitating the priests sprinkling holy water.

A friend of my sister (male) ran to the bathroom and puked. My sister was living in my grandparents' house at the time. They were old timey Irish Catholics (actually had a holy water font next to their front door) and had large crucifixes in every bedroom. Her friend -- the one who puked -- was staying with my sister and brother in law in my grandparents' house. He was so freaked out about the movie he refused to go upstairs and sleep in one of the bedrooms. He was afraid of the crucifix, but was afraid if he took it down pazuzu would enter him.

He slept on the couch for months after that. Poor guy. Had a terrible childhood, a shit mother, and he died of a heroin overdose a few years later. I remember him telling us about playing baseball with the neighborhood kids and his 15 year old sister. She fell to her knees and said she had a stomach ache. They took her to the hospital thinking she had appendicitis and she gave birth. No one, including her, knew she was pregnant. That's how sad that family was.

by Anonymousreply 54August 30, 2017 11:24 PM

Me too 'tupid 2 look it upp.

by Anonymousreply 55August 30, 2017 11:26 PM

Has anyone seen BOTH version of The Exorcist prequel?

by Anonymousreply 56August 30, 2017 11:28 PM

Yes r56.

by Anonymousreply 57August 30, 2017 11:30 PM

See, R54's story illustrates how everyone should react to the movie. It is so scary, it will fuck up your entire LIFE.

by Anonymousreply 58August 30, 2017 11:32 PM

In the book the two servants (Willie and Karl) had a daughter who was a drug addict. It was suspected their daughter had something to do with the church desecrations. I think that might be why Kinderman came to the house. Can't quite remember.

Also, Merrin had exorcized the demon before in Africa. When he finds the mini pazuzu at the archeological site and hears the dogs, he looks up to see the big pazuzu statue and he knows he is going to meet the demon again.

The demon is what people know as Satan. Merrin explains this to Father Karras when Karras says that he thinks there are several manifestations he identified in the recording he made of the voices coming from Regan.

"There is only one," says Merrin.

by Anonymousreply 59August 30, 2017 11:35 PM

I think r5 should just drop dead. Obviously too stupid to live.

by Anonymousreply 60August 30, 2017 11:37 PM

In the film, Pazuzu's shadow falls across Merrin at the site. It foreshadows -- literally -- Merrin's death.

by Anonymousreply 61August 30, 2017 11:40 PM

61 posts and no mention of Father Dyer?

by Anonymousreply 62August 30, 2017 11:41 PM

I saw it on opening day, in Washington DC. Although I'd read the book, which was a huge bestseller, seeing the movie blew my mind. That was in the days before previews and ads revealed everything, so no one knew exactly what to expect beforehand. I remember exiting the theater afterward and seeing the expectant expressions on the faces of the people who were about to go into the theater.

My father knew Blatty a bit when they were both starting out their Foreign Service careers in the late 50s/early 60s. Said he was an attention whore even then.

by Anonymousreply 63August 30, 2017 11:47 PM

Father Dyer, the singin', swingin' priest is the best!

by Anonymousreply 64August 30, 2017 11:49 PM

R22 The actress who played Fr. Damian's mother was also Miranda's housekeeper in SATC and she had a guest part in one episode of Nurse Jackie. She is a wonderful actress.

by Anonymousreply 65August 30, 2017 11:49 PM

I just read the plot synopsis of Exorcist II in Wikipedia, it does say Regan (Reagan?) had psychic powers. That's a good reason for Pazuzu to take possession of her, he could wreck havoc using her powers. Maybe her levitation and enhanced strength weren't Pazuzu's at all, maybe it was hers all along and it only manifested with the demon's help.

To whoever read the book, does it say whether Karl was a guard in a concentration camp? In the movie Burke Dennings drunkenly called him a Nazi bastard and Karl, obviously angry but also a little startled, responded he was Swiss. That seems like something a guilty German with something to hide would say.

How did the "lick me!!!" part not get the film an X rating?? It was a gory scene of forced incestual cunninglingus. That's the grossest part of the film for me, the cunty blood and he squishing sound as the mother's face was forced in there.

by Anonymousreply 66August 30, 2017 11:50 PM

LOL, R65.

by Anonymousreply 67August 30, 2017 11:51 PM

I agree, R66 about that gross out scene.

But I wouldn't look to Exorcist II: The Heretic for answers to questions raised by the original novel or movie. It's its own deeply flawed beast and should not be taken seriously as a continuation of the story, just because John Boorman and Warner Brothers hope people will.

by Anonymousreply 68August 30, 2017 11:53 PM

R68, finishing my thought:

Did Blatty write the story for The Heretic? If not, it's nothing more than glorified fan fiction.

Seriously, just forget about it.

by Anonymousreply 69August 30, 2017 11:54 PM

I wish they'd do a proper sequel, not like the other ones they've put out which are full of CGI and are supposed to make you jump. Maybe HBO will make a stab at it, I'dlike to know more about Regan and her family after the possession.

by Anonymousreply 70August 30, 2017 11:57 PM

Wasn't Exorcist followed by a bunch of schlocky B-movie imitations. Even worse, like real shitty pulp and grind-house? Anyone remember titles?

by Anonymousreply 71August 30, 2017 11:58 PM

Kinderman finds mini pazuzu at the bottom of the outdoor stairs in Georgetown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 31, 2017 12:02 AM

Exorcist II was sooooo bad.....

by Anonymousreply 73August 31, 2017 12:05 AM

I found one of the most unsettling scenes to be when Lt. Kinderman, staking out the MacNeil house from his car, sees a shadowy figure moving in Regan's bedroom

by Anonymousreply 74August 31, 2017 12:05 AM

The book wasn't that great. The characters in it tended to be unbearable; dingy, foul-mouthed Chris, silent, enabling Karl (he gives his daughter money to buy heroin), miserable Father Karras, who continuously torments himself with guilt and yammering, annoying as hell Detective Kinderman.

by Anonymousreply 75August 31, 2017 12:08 AM

The local Channel 5 TV station seemed to play "The Exorcist" rather frequently on Sunday afternoons, and my very Catholic mother would have none of that film playing in her house.

Of course, my brother and I had to sneak into another room and watch it.... big mistake when you're 10!

by Anonymousreply 76August 31, 2017 12:12 AM

[quote]Father Merrin (who...

MERRIN!!!!!!!

MERRRRRIIIIN!!

fear the priest.

by Anonymousreply 77August 31, 2017 12:26 AM

Stick your cock up your ass, you worthless mother fucking cock sucker.- Regan/Devil

by Anonymousreply 78August 31, 2017 12:30 AM

Von Sydow was only 43 years old when he played Merrin. Now he's older in real life than Merrin

by Anonymousreply 79August 31, 2017 12:30 AM

[quote]Wasn't Exorcist followed by a bunch of schlocky B-movie imitations. Even worse, like real shitty pulp and grind-house? Anyone remember titles?

Yes. The most famous was Beyond The Door starring Juliet Mills and its two sequels.

The Omen might or might not be considered a ripoff.

There was also Lisa And The Devil/The House Of Exorcism (the same movie edited into two drastically different releases).

Just google "1970s Exorcist rip-offs".

There was one made in Turkey that was basically a scene for scene reproduction, but it is Grade Z, utterly cheap and unwatchable. Not even good for laughs, just gives you an icky feeling because of how directly it ripped off The Exorcist.

There may have been lawsuits over some of the ripoffs, too. I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 80August 31, 2017 12:32 AM

Only 43! damn.

by Anonymousreply 81August 31, 2017 12:32 AM

Did Regan, err I mean Pazuzu's pussy stink during the demonic possession?

by Anonymousreply 82August 31, 2017 12:34 AM

I can't imagine that movie on a regular TV station. It must be censored and cut down to about 10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 83August 31, 2017 12:38 AM

Oh I'm sure of it, R82.

by Anonymousreply 84August 31, 2017 12:39 AM

This is so weird, I started watching The Exorcist just around the time this thread started, then I put it back on from the beginning the chest of drawers is moving across the room in the film as I type this. Anyway the opening scene was mostly to establish an atmosphere and get people on edge before things move to DC. I have have several versions of The Exorcist DVD and Blu-Ray and I have watched it several times with the directors commentary on. Friedkin's reasons for the opening scene and some interesting facts are worth listening to. The old woman in the buggy was apparently the oldest woman in the world (or maybe Iraq) when they filmed the scene. I think the most chilling part of the scene is when the Father Merrin is looking inside the hole of the dig discovery. The wind blows sand, flies are buzzing, the craggy rocks at the opening of the cave the sharp tool he uses for scraping out the contents...just very spooky.

by Anonymousreply 85August 31, 2017 12:51 AM

I was going to a Jesuit school when I first saw it as a teenager and it totally freaked me out.

by Anonymousreply 86August 31, 2017 12:55 AM

What is a Jesuit anyway?

by Anonymousreply 87August 31, 2017 1:06 AM

If memory serves me right, the Pazuzu icon didn't match the time e period of the other artifacts unearthed. It was foreshadowing that he would once again be called upon to fight the demon again. That's why he shows no surprise when he received notice of the exorcism.

I used to hate the opening scene, but now it's one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 88August 31, 2017 1:07 AM

why do demons only possess Catholics?

by Anonymousreply 89August 31, 2017 1:10 AM

Love this movie so m uch. Was scared shitless when I finally worked up the courage to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 90August 31, 2017 1:14 AM

"It doesn't mean devil. Regan was never possessed by Satan, just a demon."

At one point Karras asks Merrin what they should call this demon or devil or whatever- and Merrin says, "There's only one".

by Anonymousreply 91August 31, 2017 1:17 AM

R83, the movie was damn long on local LA KTLA 5 station! About 3 hours, especially with commcercials! They censored out the cussing, and a few scenes were cut... such as the crucifix masturbation.

I had only seen the censored TV version until 2000(?) when I saw the re-release in theater. Was shocked by the language and crucifix scene..

by Anonymousreply 92August 31, 2017 1:23 AM

I didn't realize the significance of the "not of this period" part during the dig. That's very interesting.

Anyone want to take a stab at my question whether Karl was a Nazi?

If Willie and Karl didn't put the crucifix in Regan's room, who did? Did Regan somehow steal it from the local church? Maybe she levitated out of the window and flew there?

by Anonymousreply 93August 31, 2017 1:23 AM

[quote]What is a Jesuit anyway?

Jesuits are an order of the Catholic Church, known for their intellectualism. They are famous as missionaries and educators. My own Catholic upbringing was largely with Franciscans, who were primarily focused on helping the poor. Jesuits (as far as I know) are always priests (maybe brothers, I'm not sure) but many people were educated by Jesuits, so those people hold a particular affinity to that order.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 31, 2017 1:26 AM

Exorcist reactions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 31, 2017 1:27 AM

Somebody was also busy desecrating Catholic churches in the area... remember the desecrated Virgin Mary statue?

Are we to believe that Regan was sneaking off in the middle of the night, defiling churches in Georgetown?

by Anonymousreply 96August 31, 2017 1:33 AM

Sounds to me like the Franciscans are the true followers of Christ.

by Anonymousreply 97August 31, 2017 1:33 AM

[quote]Anyone want to take a stab at my question whether Karl was a Nazi?

In the book that is not confirmed. Dennings accuses Karl of it a couple of times as does the demon using Dennings voice. I got the impression it was probably true.

by Anonymousreply 98August 31, 2017 1:35 AM

Pazuzu was much more talkative and interesting in the novel. He and Karras have several lively conversations. Pazuzu was quite a chatty demon. And he never said "your mother sucks cocks in hell." The only thing he said that was close to that was when he told Karras that Burke Dennings was "busy with your mother. She's sucking his cock to the bristles, to the ROOT. Marvelous tongue, your mother. Good mouth.'

by Anonymousreply 99August 31, 2017 1:38 AM

Wasn't Mr. Howdy related to Mr. Hanky?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 31, 2017 1:44 AM

[quote]"It doesn't mean devil. Regan was never possessed by Satan, just a demon."

[quote]At one point Karras asks Merrin what they should call this demon or devil or whatever- and Merrin says, "There's only one".

The first quote is correct. It wasn't "the devil", it was a demon pretending to be Satan.

The context given for the second quote is incorrect. Karras says Regan has been exhibiting multiple personalities. "So far I'd say there seems to be three. She's convinced that she's—" Merrin cuts him off: "There is only one."

So, one personality pretending to be multiples, but it's only one, and it's a demon, not Satan. The movie is really clear about this. The demon's name is Pazuzu.

by Anonymousreply 101August 31, 2017 1:53 AM

In "Julius Caesar" Shakespeare has Mark Antony say, "and Caesar's spirit, ranging for revenge with Ate by his side come hot from hell, shall in these confines with a Monarch's voice cry "Havoc' and let slip the dogs of war.". Friedkin, in his commentary to the film, says this is a premonition of the fight between good and evil that will recur. This is the symbolism of the dogs fighting.

by Anonymousreply 102August 31, 2017 1:56 AM

Catholics only believe in one devil, not multiple demons.

by Anonymousreply 103August 31, 2017 1:57 AM

The desecrated statue of the Virgin Mary looks similar to Regan's arts and crafts work in the basement.

by Anonymousreply 104August 31, 2017 1:58 AM

As a catholic this movie scared the shite out of me

by Anonymousreply 105August 31, 2017 1:59 AM

I just find it really difficult to believe that Regan snuck out of the house to desecrate the statues in the church.

by Anonymousreply 106August 31, 2017 2:09 AM

I think she teleported, or flew.

by Anonymousreply 107August 31, 2017 2:10 AM

R103, so demons don't exist because Catholics don't believe in them?

(I mean, of course I don't believe in them, but this movie is a work of fiction, and there's no reason why demons can't exist in the fictional world of The Exorcist.)

Demons certainly exist in The Heretic. It's clear that the supernatural agent is supposed to be a demon, not the devil.

by Anonymousreply 108August 31, 2017 2:12 AM

Once again, it's a single demon, not Satan, who possesses Regan. Here's the Wikipedia entry. If you can find Blatty talking about it being the devil himself and not just an obscure demon, post the link here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 31, 2017 2:20 AM

[quote]Somebody was also busy desecrating Catholic churches in the area... remember the desecrated Virgin Mary statue? Are we to believe that Regan was sneaking off in the middle of the night, defiling churches in Georgetown?

I read somewhere that it was Fr. Karras who desecrated the statue; he mentioned to Fr. Dwyer that he was going through a major crisis of faith. Being forced to place his mother in a mental asylum was what pushed him over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 110August 31, 2017 2:25 AM

Father Karras didn't put his mother in the hospital, his uncle did. Anyway, he was too intellectual and rational to do something so weird like put tits on the statue of Mary.

I think the reason Pazuzu took Karras up on his "take me!!!" offer was because Karras also was a mutant with powers like Regan. It could be the reason why he lost his faith. He clearly had psychic visions of his mother's death before it happened. And seemed to have a psychic insight into the homeless guy in the subway station, you can see him almost reading his mind.

by Anonymousreply 111August 31, 2017 2:37 AM

[quote] Anyway, he was too intellectual and rational to do something so weird like put tits on the statue of Mary.

The vandal gave Mary a big long serpentine dick, too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 31, 2017 2:39 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 113August 31, 2017 3:56 AM

[quote]Father Karras didn't put his mother in the hospital, his uncle did. Anyway, he was too intellectual and rational to do something so weird like put tits on the statue of Mary.

[quote]I think the reason Pazuzu took Karras up on his "take me!!!" offer was because Karras also was a mutant with powers like Regan. It could be the reason why he lost his faith. He clearly had psychic visions of his mother's death before it happened. And seemed to have a psychic insight into the homeless guy in the subway station, you can see him almost reading his mind.

Your first paragraph is right-on (insane to suggest Karras did the desecrating) but your second paragraph is cuckoo!!! A mutant with powers? Psychic?

These were all supposed to be normal people. It's a supernatural horror story about entirely normal people (suffering in various ways, but normal nonetheless) beset with evil forces. What you're suggesting is not at all what Blatty conceived of.

by Anonymousreply 114August 31, 2017 5:19 AM

[quote]I found one of the most unsettling scenes to be when Lt. Kinderman, staking out the MacNeil house from his car, sees a shadowy figure moving in Regan's bedroom

Same here, I think that scene gets overlooked a lot, I overlooked myself a few times but it's pretty creepy.

by Anonymousreply 115August 31, 2017 8:06 AM

True story: Lucy was Friedkin's first choice to play the voice of Pazuzu, but Gary Morton talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 116August 31, 2017 8:44 AM

Like some of the others here - I was too young to see the film when it first came out. But I remembered the ads and publicity it got - think it was even sent up of various comedy skit programs around the time as well. So was curious to see it - and went to see that digitally remastered re-release in the cinema around 2000.

Went with partner - and we were both blown away by it. Thought it was really well done - and terribly atmospheric, creepy and scary - but with a thoughtful, intelligent vibe to it that I'd not in the few schlocky horror films I'd seen. Sort of like a much harsher and scarier direct descendant of Rosemary's Baby. Both films are made for adult audiences - not teenage date nights (and luckily, the audience we saw it with was great - actual adults and no teenage hysterical laughter at swearing or sexual imagery!)

What really interests me is the way the film polarises people. I had friends - older than me - who went from one extreme to the other. All smart people, well versed in film and literature and pop culture. Some absolutely loved it - and others hated it. Their reasons for doing so were all really personal and different. There were several too who said it was rubbish and seemed to hate it - but turned out not to have ever actually seen it. Going on their friends' and some reviewers' opinions entirely. Very strange.

Clearly it provokes a lot of visceral responses in each individual - as is the case looking at the responses here so far! That alone makes it worth a viewing, surely?

by Anonymousreply 117August 31, 2017 8:49 AM

I'm 49 years old and wouldn't consider watching the movie if I was by myself.

by Anonymousreply 118August 31, 2017 9:41 AM

Was shitting myself when I saw it as a Catholic. Now, as an atheist, it's just laugh-out-loud campy fun.

Though I can't recall that Iraq scene at all.

by Anonymousreply 119August 31, 2017 11:46 AM

Is this Father Dyer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120August 31, 2017 12:00 PM

"Campy"?

Being an atheist has whittled away at the scare potential for me, but I don't think any of it is "campy". I have, however, on occasion thought that Burstyn's performance was a bit over the top. But then I was reassured that no, that is exactly how a mother would respond to such circumstances. Whatever.

But "campy" on the whole?

by Anonymousreply 121August 31, 2017 4:54 PM

That's right; [italic]campy.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 122August 31, 2017 5:20 PM

I'm an atheist and the movie scared the shit out if me at the cinema. A few scenes that I find creepy, the scene where karas has the nightmare. The bit where the camera zooms in on regans closed door. Also the scene withe the hypnotherapist.

It was regan that kinderman sees walking around the room. That's the most creepy part of the movie the demon has so much power but for some reason chooses to stay in the room. Does anyone else agree there should have been a dialogue between the demon and Chris? That would have been so fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 123August 31, 2017 5:30 PM

The nightmare scene was awful. The mother descending down the subway steps and the almost imperceptible flash of the demon's horrible face.

by Anonymousreply 124August 31, 2017 5:37 PM

Oh how about the attic scene those scratchy noises were wierd. What was the demon up to?

by Anonymousreply 125August 31, 2017 5:41 PM

It isn't campy. The omen and The Wickerman are campy.

by Anonymousreply 126August 31, 2017 5:47 PM

Correction R116

"The voice of the demon in "The Exorcist." Gary actually wanted Lucy to do it, but Lucy refused to since she could not understand why the demon would use "cunt" as a gerund."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 31, 2017 5:52 PM

When Father Karras's mother goes down the subway in his nightmare, is that the entrance on the southwest corner of 49th and 8th? The one for the E and C train? I used to live in the building right above it.

by Anonymousreply 128August 31, 2017 5:57 PM

I've watched the movie a lot -- when I'm channel surfing and it's on and I can't find anything else.

The parts I like are the ones without Demon Regan in them. It's a nice capture of the time period in DC, like Rosemary's Baby captured the mid 60s so well. The movie being made about campus demonstrations. The Iraq scene. The attic scene. The party.

The movie stumbles a little by having kids in trick or treat costumes when it's plainly summer with nice green leaves on the trees. And Burstyn is ridiculously out of control on the phone with the operator.

I like how Karl is a little bit sinister. I don't think he was a Nazi, but he is a bit rigid. "No rats!"

Karl's wife Willie is more lively in the book. She likes the Beatles and goes to see either Help! Or a Hard Day's Night at the movies. Kinderman suspects Karl immediately because of the fight he had with Dennings. Then Kinderman finds Karl's alibi doesn't hold up for the night Dennings was murdered.

But it turns out Karl and Willie's daughter is junkie in DC Karl visits her on the sly to give her money. Willie thinks her daughter is dead.

by Anonymousreply 129August 31, 2017 6:03 PM

All of you atheists will someday meet Pazuzu face to face.

by Anonymousreply 130August 31, 2017 6:04 PM

[quote]The younger priest is so fucking hot. Isn't the actor the father of some other actor? Jason Patric or someone?

Yes. He also had another actor son named Joshua Miller, who was in NEAR DARK, THE RIVER'S EDGE and TEEN WITCH.

by Anonymousreply 131August 31, 2017 6:05 PM

Karras and Regan were not "mutants." They both seemed to have severe psychological problems, though, which probably made it easy for Pazuzu to manipulate them.

In the novel while at Chris's house Detective Kinderman scrapes some paint off one of Regan's art projects. The paint matches the paint on the church desecrations. He takes a sheet of paper that Sharon has thrown away after making a typewriting mistake on it. Someone had typed obscenities on a Mass card; using the paper thrown away by Sharon as a comparison Kinderman determined that it was same typewriter used to type the obscenities on the Mass card. SOMEONE in Chris MacNeil's house was doing the church desecrations. The implication is that Regan while possessed by Pazuzu, is doing it. But HOW? That is never explained.

by Anonymousreply 132August 31, 2017 6:08 PM

Burstyn was perfect IMHO. She was tortured, frazzled mess, which is completely understandable.

by Anonymousreply 133August 31, 2017 6:12 PM

I can't watch The Exorcist. It fucks with you psychologically and I've seen many horror films. That one is different.

by Anonymousreply 134August 31, 2017 6:12 PM

[quote]How did the "lick me!!!" part not get the film an X rating?? It was a gory scene of forced incestual cunninglingus. That's the grossest part of the film for me, the cunty blood and he squishing sound as the mother's face was forced in there.

Because everyone in Hollywood and America knew the voice was Mercedes McCambridge's and that she was a champion muff diver. So it was a brave admission of lesbian sexual practices.

by Anonymousreply 135August 31, 2017 6:15 PM

The desecration happened before she is bedbound so not hard for her to have done it under instruction front pazuzu. Jeez you people can't even follow simple details. Pazuzu is controlling her just before the doctors visit when he takes FULL control "the sow is mine". That line still gives me chills.

by Anonymousreply 136August 31, 2017 6:16 PM

Mary Stuart Masterson's dad Peter played Dr. Barringer. I always thought Barton Heyman, who played Dr. Klein, was hot with a great ass and nice hips. You can tell in the scene where they're standing outside of Regan's room and they're explaining to Chris other options for treating her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 31, 2017 6:17 PM

It's the little details that make the film so convincing. Like the fact that no one has the balls to go and try to change Regans nightie, so for days she's left in the the vomit soiled one. The novel describes how putrid she smells not having been washed, and the demon has a laxative like effect on her body. So basically she's lying in her filth and reeks. Yuck!

by Anonymousreply 138August 31, 2017 6:23 PM

R121, once I realized that Burstyn was playing a dumb woman, her character made sense. Not mean necessarily or fully stupid, but just kind of vapid and under-educated.

by Anonymousreply 139August 31, 2017 6:24 PM

I think she overreacted a little at her husband being in Europe and neglecting to call his daughter for her birthday. Of course Regan was going to overhear that mess.

by Anonymousreply 140August 31, 2017 6:57 PM

For a long time, I would get scared walking down a dark hallway after watching The Exorcist. I would run the the washroom and run back. No other movie has had that effect on me.

by Anonymousreply 141August 31, 2017 7:26 PM

Creepy. Read this thread and then did some cleaning around my closet, and found a rosary. And I haven't prayed that shit in years!

by Anonymousreply 142August 31, 2017 7:56 PM

Pazuzu is a DL icon

by Anonymousreply 143August 31, 2017 8:00 PM

Paul Bateson, a radiology assistant who basically plays himself in the film, later confessed to a number of serial murders of gay men in NYC. He was the (unbilled) consultant for Friedkin's movie "Cruising".

He's the bearded guy in this scene:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 31, 2017 8:02 PM

"The desecration happened before she is bedbound so not hard for her to have done it under instruction front pazuzu. Jeez you people can't even follow simple details."

How did little Regan get into the church, with her paints and brushes, to desecrate the statues? How could she do that without detection? How could she get a Mass card, type an imagined lesbian encounter between the Virgin Mother and Mary Magdalene (that was what was on the Mass card) on it, and then get it back into the church? HOW was she able to do all this? None of this is explained at all. I guess William Peter Blatty thought no one would think about it; they'd be too busy being revolted by Regan's increasingly bizarre and psychotic behavior as Pazuzu takes hold of her.

by Anonymousreply 145August 31, 2017 8:02 PM

Sssshhh....don't tell anyone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 31, 2017 9:26 PM

Why are we trying to figure out a logical solution to how a demon could get a little girl to carry out church desecrations...

by Anonymousreply 147August 31, 2017 9:58 PM

Marry me R146

by Anonymousreply 148August 31, 2017 10:02 PM

Jesuits sprang out of the turmoil from left from the Protestant Reformation so they were basically born tough and ready to fight.

by Anonymousreply 149September 1, 2017 12:00 AM

There will be a stage version of The Exorcist in London's West End this fall. I'm going over there around Christmas and will be sorely tempted to go see it.

by Anonymousreply 150September 1, 2017 2:40 AM

In the book, Chris MacNeil witnesses Regan spinning rapidly on her ass on the floor "like a spinning top.". Why the hell didn't that potentially epic scene make it into the movie??

by Anonymousreply 151September 1, 2017 2:41 AM

I was about 13 when the book first came out and it scared the crap out of me, yet I couldn't put it down. When I saw the movie at the theater, my mother made me bring my 10 year old sister ( I was 16) . Of course I told her I was going to some Disney movie. And don't ask me how she got in with my friends and I, given the R rating, but she did. My sister tells me to this day how that movie traumatized her.

by Anonymousreply 152September 1, 2017 2:56 AM

Another scene from the book that would have been epic is Reagan arching herself into a bow and scurrying after Sharon like a spider. Sharon didn't even know Reagan was behind her until she licked her on the ankle.

by Anonymousreply 153September 1, 2017 3:17 AM

I'll always remember Blatty's initial description of Regan as "slender as a fleeting hope." The same couldn't be applied to Linda Blair who was the very picture of a child with baby fat.

by Anonymousreply 154September 1, 2017 3:52 AM

Pazuza, as mentiones above, was a very witty and worldly demon. He knew, for instance, that Lake Titicaca is the highest and largest alpine lake in the world or whatever!

by Anonymousreply 155September 1, 2017 4:33 AM

Can you fucking imagine hearing Lucy's voice come out of Regan's mouth?! "Your mother sucks cocks in hell! Waaaaah!"

by Anonymousreply 156September 1, 2017 5:25 AM

R137, Barton Heyman's ass is on display (clothed, mind you) in Let's Scare Jessica To Death in some tight early 70s jeans.

He was a hot one. Even with his balding. A very naturalistic and believable actor too—in both movies.

by Anonymousreply 157September 1, 2017 5:32 AM

^^Thanks for the info! I'll have to seek that out and watch (intently).

by Anonymousreply 158September 1, 2017 5:35 AM

[quote]It isn't campy. The omen and The Wickerman are campy

Thank you.

Someone here doesn't understand what "camp" is.

by Anonymousreply 159September 1, 2017 5:37 AM

The Exorcist feels quite camp because it's been parodied so much.

by Anonymousreply 160September 1, 2017 5:42 AM

I think the scene guest starring the gay serial killer (who at the time of filming evidently had already killed a man, according to someone on Datalounge) is so fascinating. It's one of the greatest things I've learned here on Datalounge. I had no idea. I think most people have no idea.

I remember in the last Exorcist thread we had, someone pointed out his leather wrist band in that scene in the hospital—an accessory indicating he was part of the gay leather scene, which he was.

And he's a free man in NYC today! I wonder if he's ever cruised me...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 1, 2017 5:42 AM

Enh, R160, that isn't what makes a movie campy though.

by Anonymousreply 162September 1, 2017 5:43 AM

R150 -

Please tell me that the London stage version is a musical!!

Now that would be beyond fabulous! Camper than Speingtime for Hitler! Can you just imagine?!

by Anonymousreply 163September 1, 2017 5:51 AM

Actually, I can.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 1, 2017 6:01 AM

I've seen an interview with Friedkin talking about the serial killer. I think it was that which got him interested in doing Cruising. It certainly adds an extra layer of horror to that arteriogram scene

by Anonymousreply 165September 1, 2017 6:02 AM

Brits, please be aware that, in the US, '"campy" can mean [italic]unintentionally[/italic] campy (but just [italic]received[/italic] as campy) rather than just intentionally campy (as "camp" most often suggests in the UK).

In the US, things that were taken quite seriously when they were made (like "Johnny Guitar" and "Showgirls") are considered campy

Thus, I think it's pretty hard to deny that a film featuring a twelve-year old little girl snarling "Your mother sucks cocks in hell" in Mercedes McCambridge's voice and spewing high-pressure steams of pea-green vomit straight into other people's faces is campy in the American sense of the term.

by Anonymousreply 166September 1, 2017 6:12 AM

No, R166, that is not what "camp" is.

by Anonymousreply 167September 1, 2017 6:24 AM

It wasn't Reghan's shadow that the detective saw in her window-- she was strapped to the bed at the time. It was the demon.

by Anonymousreply 168September 1, 2017 6:31 AM

[italic]The Omen[/italic] is essentially big budget trash with a starry A-list cast, some of whom really overdo it. I like David Warner in it-- yes, he is his usual lugubrious camp self (he always puts me in mind of some fey loping hound), but he does meet a truly spectacular end. None of it is remotely believable, and therefore it is not especially scary. I was a child when I first saw it and thought the most frightening thing in the movie was the old school paternoster elevator at the hospital.

[italic]The Exorcist[/italic] is NOT trashy or campy. It takes itself very seriously and everybody is playing it dead straight, which makes it far more frightening IMO.

by Anonymousreply 169September 1, 2017 7:05 AM

[quote]The Exorcist is NOT trashy or campy. It takes itself very seriously and everybody is playing it dead straight, which makes it far more frightening IMO.

Hello, exactly! Thank you. Sadly, I still don't think our camp-confused DLer will understand.

by Anonymousreply 170September 1, 2017 7:07 AM

It's a good movie with great performances but not scary at all (especially not if you're an atheist). I guess it must have been a life-changing experience to see it on the big screen back in 1973, but it seems rather tame by today's standards.

I'm a millennial and it seems to me like The Blair Witch Project was our generation's The Exorcist - ridiculously hyped movie (with reports of people fainting in the cinemas) which was later imitated by hundreds of other films. But TBWP didn't use any known faces which made it a lot scarier, in my opinion. It's kind of hard to find Regan scary if you know that's the girl from Roller Boogie you're watching being possesed.

by Anonymousreply 171September 1, 2017 7:44 AM

I think if you have any imagination you find it scary....if you don't have much you won't. Simple.

One a side note I think friedkin made a huge mistake giving in to Blatty and releasing the extended cut. It is not any improvement. Batty was an uber Catholic who actually believed in this stuff. He didn't want the audience to despair, so that sugary ending was added. So annoying cause so many younger people have seen that cut instead of the proper original.

by Anonymousreply 172September 1, 2017 8:58 AM

I am American and British and agree that Exorcist can be enjoyed as camp and can also be terrifying. Certainly nowadays it offers up a good dose of camp. No doubt the laughing grown up black audience at the time were sophisticated enough to enjoy the camp even if the white catholic boys like myself were mesmersied by the horror.

by Anonymousreply 173September 1, 2017 11:03 AM

Season 1 of the TV show

SPOILER ALERT

Had Geena Davis playing a grown Regan. Loved that twist.

by Anonymousreply 174September 1, 2017 11:10 AM

Catholics are weird. Are you brought up to genuinely believe all that stuffs? I don't see the film as camp. I think some people are confusing comical with camp. It's not the same thing. And tell me what horror film made recently would you describe as good drama? Nothing come close to the Exorcist.

by Anonymousreply 175September 1, 2017 11:14 AM

Americans have a tendency to dismiss anything old. All your great works of drama or art are discarded when you see them as passe. What a shallow culture.

by Anonymousreply 176September 1, 2017 11:17 AM

Going back to the OP's question, it was just a brilliant dramatic choice. Everybody going into the theater knew the general idea that the story took place in the U.S. and involved a priest and a little girl in her bedroom. To open on this strange, beautiful, exotic panorama that nobody was expecting was disorienting and intriguing and promised that even though you may have read the book you still had some big surprises ahead.

by Anonymousreply 177September 1, 2017 11:38 AM

Remember, this was 1973. Location shooting like that in a Hollywood film was reserved for top of the line A pictures. People would have been like, "What? I thought this was a horror flick, not Lawrence of Arabia!" It was telling the audience right off the bat, "This is not grind house drive-in crap, this is a prestige film." And that in itself made what was coming even more horrific and shocking, because audiences were not used to seeing this kind of shit, especially in a respectable movie theater. It's hard to imagine now how transgressive this movie was at the time.

by Anonymousreply 178September 1, 2017 11:48 AM

also the Islamic call to prayer was startling. They're beautiful I guess, I remember hearing various calls echoing over a valley in Turkey at prayer time and it really transported me. But on the black screen, when not expecting it, it seemed so alien and sinister. I remember the hair going up on my arms.

by Anonymousreply 179September 1, 2017 11:59 AM

The sound design is really the star of the show. It won an incredibly well-deserved Oscar.

The sound is also one of the few good things in the 2000 re-release. They re-did it for Dolby and did a phenomenal job. Regan has a fish tank in her room, and even when it's not in a shot, you can hear it bubbling. Little stuff, but very immersive.

by Anonymousreply 180September 1, 2017 12:09 PM

The opening sequence really set the tone for the movie. Juxtaposed with Washington in the fall was really effective and unsettling. It's a chilling nuance that I didn't really realize.

by Anonymousreply 181September 1, 2017 12:18 PM

I just know Pazuzu posts on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 182September 1, 2017 12:23 PM

Your mother sucks cocks in Hell, R182!

by Anonymousreply 183September 1, 2017 12:37 PM

The Exorcist III, while flawed, has a lot going for it besides the famous, incredible jump-scare. For one thing, it has truly good performances from George C Scott and Brad Douriff.

They released a Blu Ray about a year ago that in addition to the theatrical release, also included a cut that was closer to the movie Blatty originally wanted to make, including exorcising (get it? get it?) the final, OTT, out of place exorcism scene. It also has the film's original title, Legion. Unfortunately, the original footage is long gone, and they had to rely on videotapes of the dailies, so there's a somewhat jarring drop in image quality, often within the same scene. But you can see it had a lot of potential.

by Anonymousreply 184September 1, 2017 1:43 PM

The great Irish face of the late Jesuit priest Thomas V. Bermingham SJ, who played the President of Georgetown University in the movie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185September 1, 2017 2:43 PM

r171 You cannot compare the two. No one I know has ever watched Blair Witch for a second time. Yes it set records due to its' innovative marketing campaign, but it is not a horror classic.

by Anonymousreply 186September 1, 2017 2:56 PM

The marketing for Blair Witch--which is the first time anyone REALLY seemed to get what the internet could enable--was definitely a big driver, but I don't think it was the only.

Found footage movies generally work once. I know that's true of horror movies in general, especially the ones that rely on jump scares, but if something has a decent story and good performances, they can be highly re-watchable and also continue to be effective. Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist are the best examples, but I would argue so is Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2 (that's due in part to the gay subtext, which would have been an interesting and unusual wrinkle even today), and so is Scream.

Anyway, found footage is easy to do and hard to do well. Blair Witch pulled it off. The first (and I would argue third) Paranormal Activity pulled it off. Very few other ones manage to, even Cloverfield which was working with a Name director and a relatively large budget.

The best example of the genre remains the early 90s British TV movie Ghostwatch, although that's hurt a bit by the silly ending.

by Anonymousreply 187September 1, 2017 3:08 PM

The sequel is actually superior and expand on the metaphysical theme without adhering to tedious Christian dogma. Even Scorsese thinks the sequel is better:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188September 1, 2017 4:15 PM

Call me by my dream name

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189September 1, 2017 4:51 PM

The Heretic was roundly panned. I thought it was awful. The pacing alone was horrific.

by Anonymousreply 190September 1, 2017 4:56 PM

[quote]I'm a millennial

Hooo boy...

by Anonymousreply 191September 1, 2017 5:37 PM

I read about the serial killer. I think he killed six gay man and he's been out of prison for at least a decade. The media called the case "fag in a bag".

by Anonymousreply 192September 1, 2017 5:41 PM

Pazuzu's petals! Pazuzu's petals!

by Anonymousreply 193September 1, 2017 6:03 PM

[quote] The Exorcist III, while flawed, has a lot going for it besides the famous, incredible jump-scare. For one thing, it has truly good performances from George C Scott and Brad Douriff.

AND Fabio playing an angel! I can't believe you left him out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194September 1, 2017 6:11 PM

That's not Fabio. That's Don Draper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195September 1, 2017 6:23 PM

[quote]The Blair Witch Project was our generation's The Exorcist

Please. The tag line for TBWP should have been "Three people get lost in the woods and spend the remainder of the movie whining and bickering."

by Anonymousreply 196September 1, 2017 6:28 PM

To get back to OP's question - how did the idol end up in Georgetown? Did Father Merrin take it with him when he left Iraq? Did Regan's mother buy it on eBay? Did it fly there? Was it a cheap knock-off? Did the cop picking it up off the ground mean that someone else was about to get possessed? Is it like The Ring, where picking up the idol was like watching the videotape? Did the Precious Moments people ever make a Pazzuzu figurine?

by Anonymousreply 197September 1, 2017 6:34 PM

Had I known there was a Pazuzu figurine at The Louvre I would have checked it out. Just looking at it scares me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198September 1, 2017 6:57 PM

"Another scene from the book that would have been epic is Reagan arching herself into a bow and scurrying after Sharon like a spider."

Actually, what she did was glide after Sharon "like a snake" while flicking her tongue in and out of her mouth. There was no "spider walk" in the novel. It did mention that during one of her fits she bent her body backwards like a bow until her brow touched (or nearly touched) her feet.

A lot of things in the movie didn't happen in the book. The levitation scene, which is one of the most riveting scenes in the movie ("The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you!") , did not take place in the novel. Regan is strapped to the bed the whole time; she never floats above it after her straps are mysteriously ripped off. In fact, in the book Pazuzu asks Karras several times to undo the straps. He almost loosens one of them, but Karl stops himL "No, Father! It's is STRONG!"

by Anonymousreply 199September 1, 2017 7:39 PM

I think the Pazuzu medal teleported, maybe through the portal opened by Regan via the Ouiji board.

by Anonymousreply 200September 1, 2017 7:43 PM

Yes, clearly the Merrin sold Regan the Pazuzu figurine on etsy.

I think Pazuzu was headed to Capitol Hill but got lost in Georgetown. Maybe he had snagged a job as a lobbyist.

by Anonymousreply 201September 1, 2017 7:59 PM

This has probably been answered, but Excorcist: The Beginning revealed that ancient Byzantine Christians discovered a cavern in Kenya which marks the spot where Lucifer was initially thrown from Heaven and cast under the earth by God.

That is where Pazuzu and other demons supposedly emanated from Hell.

by Anonymousreply 202September 1, 2017 8:51 PM

I heard Pazuzu emanates from under a Panda Express in the valley.

by Anonymousreply 203September 1, 2017 10:19 PM

So the serial killer guy has been out of prison for years and he has never killed again? He just stopped? What does he do to satisfy his blood lust? Kill small animals?

by Anonymousreply 204September 1, 2017 11:38 PM

The press also tagged it "Looking for Mr. Gaybar".

by Anonymousreply 205September 1, 2017 11:43 PM

I like the theory that "Ramblin' Man" playing in the bar was a metaphor for the demon making his way across the world to possess Reagan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206September 2, 2017 12:00 AM

[quote]I can't watch The Exorcist. It fucks with you psychologically and I've seen many horror films. That one is different.

R134, I'm with you. I've seen "The Exorcist" exactly ONCE and that was when it aired on CBS back in the '80s. That was enough for me.

Reading this thread has been quite fascinating, however.

by Anonymousreply 207September 2, 2017 1:39 AM

Reading this thread has made me want to watch it again, but I'm too skeered!!

by Anonymousreply 208September 2, 2017 1:40 AM

What is the sugary ending and what was the original ending? I'm a youngin'. Sugary was when mother and daughter are leaving town and the detective and priest go to "the films"? Where did the movie end before?

by Anonymousreply 209September 2, 2017 1:44 AM

I don't recall the new version of The Exorcist having a different ending from the original release. I thought the main difference between the 2 versions was the addition of the infamous spider walk scene, an extra dialogue scene between Regan's mother and Karras, and some digitally inserted flashes of the demonic entity's face in a couple of scenes. I never heard of a different ending. Am I mistaken about this?

by Anonymousreply 210September 2, 2017 2:24 AM

The movie ended with Father Dyer saying goodbye to Chris and Regan (they go off in a car, presumably to live happily every after). The final scene shows Dyer holding a necklace or medallion or something like that; it had belonged to Karras.

In the book Kinderman shows up to say goodbye, but Chris and Regan have already left. Kinderman tells Dyer he gets free passes to movies and asks if he wants to go to the movies with him. The implication is that Dyer will take Karra's place; Kinderman really liked Karras a lot. William Friedkin downplayed the character of Kinderman in the movie; I guess that's why he was omitted from the end.

by Anonymousreply 211September 2, 2017 2:24 AM

I think "Ramblin' Man" is played in the bar because Karras is having a crisis in faith and he wants to split, just not be a Priest anymore.

by Anonymousreply 212September 2, 2017 3:16 AM

[quote]One a side note I think friedkin made a huge mistake giving in to Blatty and releasing the extended cut. It is not any improvement. Batty was an uber Catholic who actually believed in this stuff. He didn't want the audience to despair, so that sugary ending was added. So annoying cause so many younger people have seen that cut instead of the proper original.

Ugh, tell me about it. So sad. It's done a huge disservice to the film and its legacy, I think.

by Anonymousreply 213September 2, 2017 3:24 AM

[quote]Catholics are weird. Are you brought up to genuinely believe all that stuffs? I don't see the film as camp. I think some people are confusing comical with camp. It's not the same thing. And tell me what horror film made recently would you describe as good drama? Nothing come close to the Exorcist.

I was raised Catholic and when I saw the movie, or I should say I tried to start watching the movie at age 8 (it was too terrifying to watch all the way until I was 12), I believed in spirits and possession and the devil and all that. I also went to Saturday cathechism (sp?) and my classmates believed it was real too. Ridiculous, yes, but it sure made for a fun time. Who doesn't love to be utterly gullible and terrified?

I agree that people don't seem to understand the difference between camp and comical. How to explain it to them? Is there any hope?

by Anonymousreply 214September 2, 2017 3:28 AM

Weren't there some scenes of pre-possessed Regan bouncing around Washington locales also added to the director's cut? I seem to remember those.

by Anonymousreply 215September 2, 2017 3:30 AM

"I think friedkin made a huge mistake giving in to Blatty and releasing the extended cut. It is not any improvement. Batty was an uber Catholic who actually believed in this stuff. He didn't want the audience to despair, so that sugary ending was added"

What is the sugary ending that was allegedly added to the extended cut? As far as I know, the ending in the extended cut is the same as the one in the original version of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 216September 2, 2017 3:48 AM

No, R216, and the question was answered a few posts above.

The "Version Youve Never Seen" edit ends with Lt. Kinderman approaches Fr Dyer after the MacNeils ride away in their Mercedes, and invites him to go to the movies sometime with him. They walk off into the sunset, possibly arm in arm or something.

In the original edit, the Mercedes drives away, Dyer stands there looking sad, and then he turns to walk away and the screen fades to black as "Tubular Bells" starts playing and then is interrupted by another orchestral cue as the credits flash on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 217September 2, 2017 3:57 AM

Sounds like a few of you are confused about the Pazuzu figurine in the opening scene and its reappearance in Georgetown later.

As far as I can recall, it DOES NOT reappear in Georgetown. Merrin & Karras see a huge statue that looks like the one (or is exactly the same one) Merrin faces off with in Iraq—it happens during the exorcism, appears on Regan's bed as a hallucination to them both.

But the figurine Kinderman finds at the bottom of the "Hitchcock" steps is NOT Pazuzu. It is one of Regan's clay figurines that she made herself. You can see more of her figurines inside the house when Kinderman is questioning Chris. "Your daughter, she's the artist?" The implication is that Regan's clay figurine was in the room with her and Burke when Burke was pushed out her window. It ties together Burke's death with Regan. The clay figurine looks like some kind of elephant or rhino or some hybrid animal similar to her drawings.

by Anonymousreply 218September 2, 2017 4:02 AM

New here, R217? NO ONE on DL reads past the first 2 posts on a thread.

by Anonymousreply 219September 2, 2017 4:08 AM

Also, someone upthread said the 2000 edit improved on the sound design. I thought the EXACT opposite.

Almost everything that was added to that edit was designed to keep a much younger, modern audience enthralled/interested. So what you get is much, much louder thumps and phones ringing, nearly constant musical cues involving cellos that were not there in the original classic, plus the aforementioned ridiculous superimposed images.

If you're as familiar as I am with the original release, the added sounds/musical cues are really conspicuous and, frankly, insulting. Because it's clear all along that it's a souped-up remix geared toward our much stupider 21st Century society and its Attention Deficit Disorders and resultant expectations. It's an abomination in almost every way. There isn't one added scene, sound, or visual that improves upon the original.

by Anonymousreply 220September 2, 2017 4:11 AM

One last thing I need to complain about: when Friedkin did the blu ray release (or maybe it was even pre-blu ray), he and the cinematographer (?) made some drastic changes to the original color timing in the final exorcism scene. Everything in Regan's bedroom is tinted BLUE. In the original release, and on TV, and on the VHS, laser, and initial DVD releases, the final exorcism scene (which lasts maybe a half hour) had totally normal color timing. Nothing overly blue about it.

Supposedly Billy did this because he wanted the scene to look "colder". Literally. He wanted people to understand how cold it was in the room. As if the bundled up characters with visible breath coming out their mouths wasn't obvious enough.

This is what we're dealing with here, folks.

So there does not exist a single high definition version of the movie that truly looks the way it did for the first ~35 years of its existence. That goes for both versions—the original and the Version You Wish You'd Never Seen.

by Anonymousreply 221September 2, 2017 4:18 AM

I hate the 2000 "Version You've Never Seen"; so dumbed-down, with the jarring music cues telling the audience when to be scared, the digital altering of Regan's face to make her look more possessed during the hypnosis scene, the stupid shots of the demon face randomly materializing on the walls, and that ridiculous "spider-walk" scene with the cgi-blood pouring out of her mouth.

All prints of that version should be destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 222September 2, 2017 4:29 AM

Can we all stop talking about this movie? It's too scary!! TIA!

by Anonymousreply 223September 2, 2017 4:34 AM

So glad I'm not the only one who feels that way, R222.

Unfortunately every retard and his brother now think that version of the movie IS the movie.

by Anonymousreply 224September 2, 2017 5:18 AM

I actually like the Spider Walk scene, but they should have included the original version in the movie, where Regan chases Kitty Winn around the room and doesn't include that cheesy blood throwing part. But I agree, all the other Director's Cut alterations were pretty awful and remind me of Lucas massacring the original Star Wars trilogy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225September 2, 2017 5:27 AM

I wonder what the movie would be like if the producers gave in to Audrey Hepburn's demands and shot the film in Rome with her playing Chris. I think Rome would provide a great (though not very subtle) setting for the story and seeing Audrey smeared with her daughter's menstrual blood all over the face would make for a nice break from the usual squeky clean characters she played. She'd also be a lot more believable playing a huge movie star - Ellen was great in this, but I didn't buy her as some huge actress not even for a second.

by Anonymousreply 226September 2, 2017 5:36 AM

I don't think Chris MacNeil was really supposed to be a "huge actress"; I got the impression she was sort of on the same level as Ellen Burstyn herself. What have you that idea?

And one other thing, sorry to be nit-picky: it wasn't menstrual blood on Chris's face. Regan was stabbing herself in the crotch (it's frequently referred to as masturbation, and it may have been depicted as such in the book, but in the movie she's clearly brutally stabbing herself). The blood is from torn outer skin tissue and probably her broken hymen. She wasn't menstruating.

by Anonymousreply 227September 2, 2017 5:42 AM

What gave you that idea*

Ugh, fucking autocorrect is worthless since the last iPhone update, especially typing on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 228September 2, 2017 5:43 AM

Why does anyone care about this homophobic Catholic propaganda?

by Anonymousreply 229September 2, 2017 5:44 AM

Oh fuck off, R229.

by Anonymousreply 230September 2, 2017 5:47 AM

You fuck off, you fucking papist scum.

by Anonymousreply 231September 2, 2017 5:48 AM

Papist? I'm an atheist. Blatty was indeed a homophobic superstitious idiot. But the story he created led to one of the most iconic and popular movies of all time. Even if it has a propagandist bent to it.

Enjoying it, as it can be on many levels, does not require one to buy into the Catholic church's bullshit. I was raised Catholic and I will never go back, in fact I think organized religion should be banned—or at the very least they should pay taxes.

by Anonymousreply 232September 2, 2017 6:02 AM

[quote]One last thing I need to complain about: when Friedkin did the blu ray release (or maybe it was even pre-blu ray), he and the cinematographer (?) made some drastic changes to the original color timing in the final exorcism scene. Everything in Regan's bedroom is tinted BLUE. In the original release, and on TV, and on the VHS, laser, and initial DVD releases, the final exorcism scene (which lasts maybe a half hour) had totally normal color timing. Nothing overly blue about it.

Friedkin screwed up "The French Connection" the very same way. Originally the film had that early-70s brownish tint to it, which made it look more gritty and realistic. Friedkin, however, felt the exact opposite, saying it looked phony and over-saturated. So for the blu ray release, he took the print, removed all the color, and replaced it with what he calls "pastels", making everything look blue. He received a lot of backlash not only from fans, but from the original cinematographer himself, who said that that wasn't the film he shot.

by Anonymousreply 233September 2, 2017 6:07 AM

[quote] I don't think Chris MacNeil was really supposed to be a "huge actress"; I got the impression she was sort of on the same level as Ellen Burstyn herself. What have you that idea?

Well, the character was based on Shirley MacLaine who was certainly a bigger name than Ellen Burstyn. And in that scene where they are filming the movie there's a huge crowd of people watching them - I always thought they were trying to catch a glimpse of Chris.

by Anonymousreply 234September 2, 2017 6:22 AM

Friedkin is overrated except for [italic]The Boys in the Band[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 235September 2, 2017 6:26 AM

What was the point of making Jason Miller's character Greek - 99 % of Greeks belongs to the orthodox church and that's an important part of their national identity. I've never met a catholic Greek before in my life.

by Anonymousreply 236September 2, 2017 6:34 AM

[quote]Friedkin is overrated except for The Boys in the Band.

Hmm.

Nah, I'm gonna go ahead and say The Exorcist is a greater accomplishment. Most people agree.

by Anonymousreply 237September 2, 2017 7:42 AM

I've always wondered about the Greek/Catholic thing too. They're such a minority in Greece, it almost seems like we need a subplot in the movie to justify why we're using a Greek Catholic. It would have made more sense if the character was Italian. He could still have the heavily accented old mother in Hells Kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 238September 2, 2017 11:40 AM

Maybe Karras and his mother are Grikos, a small community of ethnic Greeks that live in Southern Italy.

The Greek Catholic Church started in Istanbul according to Wikipedia, interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239September 2, 2017 11:50 AM

Woman who did the Spiderwalk scene speaks out. She's fucking pissed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240September 2, 2017 11:56 AM

[quote]Friedkin is overrated except for The Boys in the Band.

The French Connection is fabulous in so many ways.

& I usually hate those sorts of movies.

by Anonymousreply 241September 2, 2017 11:59 AM

I'm sensing a thread going off the rails. Please let's skip any discussion of Greek-Catholics or Norwegian-Catholics.

by Anonymousreply 242September 2, 2017 1:01 PM

The book is quite different from the film in that it really never really answers definitively whether it was a possession or not. That final conflict between Father Karras and Pazuzu happens "offscreen." The focus is on Chris downstairs waiting and then Father Karras falls out the window.

by Anonymousreply 243September 2, 2017 1:22 PM

[quote] I'm sensing a thread going off the rails. Please let's skip any discussion of Greek-Catholics or Norwegian-Catholics.

There are Catholics in Norway?! Sorry, but I think I'm gonna need some more information about that - how many of them are there? Do they get along with the Protestant majority? What do they think about "Song of Norway" starring Florence Henderson?

Doesn't Norway also have its own Bible Belt which is full of crazy fanatics?

by Anonymousreply 244September 2, 2017 1:36 PM

Do a Google search for "Peggy Olsson" and "DataLounge," R244.

by Anonymousreply 245September 2, 2017 2:03 PM

*Sorry, that should be OLSON.

by Anonymousreply 246September 2, 2017 2:05 PM

I love in the last season (or was it the one prior) Peggy is on the phone with some priest and she explains how she's Norwegian and Catholic. It was totally Weiner throwing a bone to a everyone on the internet who questioned the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 247September 2, 2017 2:25 PM

"real" exorcists say that you can't do what Karras did. If you invite the demon to take you instead then it simply has the means to possess both of you.

by Anonymousreply 248September 2, 2017 2:35 PM

Pazuzu DJs these days

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249September 2, 2017 3:44 PM

May I ask who the fuck is Peggy Olson?

by Anonymousreply 250September 2, 2017 3:44 PM

I watched the original on Cinemax yesterday. I had only seen edited-for-broadcast versions before, and years ago.

A bit disjointed in places as it turned out, but all in all a very good movie (though I prefer The Omen with Gregory Peck and Lee Remick, which is sometimes seen as a knockoff but shouldn't be).

What I appreciated in The Exorcist this time was the brilliant Ellen Burstyn (sp?), and the foul mouth, great wardrobe and badass attitude of her character, Chris.

One of the great things about the first season of the (renewed) Exorcist cable series was DL fave Sharon Gless in a few episodes as an older Chris MacNeil, mother of Regan and semi-famous actress.

by Anonymousreply 251September 2, 2017 3:45 PM

In Omen 2 wasn't a teen Damien in a gay affair with his cousin?

by Anonymousreply 252September 2, 2017 3:50 PM

Only in subtext, r252.

by Anonymousreply 253September 2, 2017 4:24 PM

The Omen was also a quality horror film. Elevated by Gregory Peck and Lee Remick. Both great actors.

by Anonymousreply 254September 2, 2017 4:59 PM

You can't speak about The Omen and not mention Jerry Goldsmith, you cunts. His music totally made that whole film.

by Anonymousreply 255September 2, 2017 5:05 PM

[quote]In Omen 2 wasn't a teen Damien in a gay affair with his cousin?

The cousin penetrated the crack, certainly. To Goldsmith heart-pounding music.

by Anonymousreply 256September 2, 2017 5:22 PM

Lucy as Pazuzu: "Ya call this hot??? I married a loser!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 257September 2, 2017 6:22 PM

[quote]Well, the character was based on Shirley MacLaine who was certainly a bigger name than Ellen Burstyn. And in that scene where they are filming the movie there's a huge crowd of people watching them - I always thought they were trying to catch a glimpse of Chris.

I've only read the book once, so I don't remember it that well, but I always had the impression that Chris was supposed to be more in the mold of the New Hollywood stars like Burstyn herself. In the book, in addition to be distracted from Regan by filming the movie, she's also prepping to direct for the first time. That seems like something a Shirley MacLaine-type would be less likely to do.

Shall we summon the writer?

by Anonymousreply 258September 2, 2017 6:30 PM

I don't like to mess with the Occult. Although I did watch the Exorcist and read the book, and I watched all the Omen movies too. But I find them to be the scariest movies.

by Anonymousreply 259September 2, 2017 6:38 PM

Here are your daggers, Richard.

by Anonymousreply 260September 2, 2017 6:45 PM

Come, Father Lamont, ride on the wings of the demon!

by Anonymousreply 261September 2, 2017 6:49 PM

[quote] she's also prepping to direct for the first time. That seems like something a Shirley MacLaine-type would be less likely to do.

I may be wrong but I believe Shirley DID direct a film a while ago.

by Anonymousreply 262September 2, 2017 6:57 PM

The book terrified me as a child, but I loved the movie. I felt very safe watching the film because it follows rules / laws I understand and learned as a kid in catachism / religion class etc. The devil can't affect you if your faith is unshakable. A lot of what the devil did even in the movie was terrifying, but not dangerous if you had enough faith. That's the premise, anyway. Of course even staunch Catholics have weaknesses and are susceptible, but if you stick to the idea that you are safe if your faith is strong, you can feel pretty secure watching the film. The movie was controversial when it came out, but I believe adhered to Catholic doctrine so strongly that the Catholic ratings agency gave it a good rating - of course adults only, but did not condemn it, because all the content was framed per Catholic doctrine and how evil and good act when pitted against each other. It's a really good movie - has some anachronistic attributes but overall still holds up.

by Anonymousreply 263September 2, 2017 7:01 PM

William Peter Blatty knew Shirley MacLaine; I think he actually said that Chris MacNeil was based on her. The original cover of the novel featured a distorted picture of MacLaine's daughter Sachi; at least that's what I heard. And the piicture does bear a resemblance of her. The Chris MacNeil character does seem a lot like MacLaine; she's redheaded, outspoken, not very bright, something of a kook. Sounds like MacLaine to me.

by Anonymousreply 264September 2, 2017 8:08 PM

My mother told me that in the original Frankenstein movie, people were screaming and passing out in the scene where Boris kills the little girl. She said they took that scene out of the film for most showings after that.

She also said that in the movie Sabotage the audience was outraged when SPOILER --- the little boy takes the bomb on the bus and it explodes. She said people screamed and wept and some people angrily left the movie and demanded their money back.

by Anonymousreply 265September 2, 2017 8:16 PM

Shirley MacLaine has said that Chris McNeil was based in her. She seems annoyed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266September 2, 2017 8:20 PM

[quote]The book terrified me as a child

You read The Exorcist as a child????

by Anonymousreply 267September 2, 2017 9:00 PM

Why was Fr. Karras' mother sent to a mental hospital (Bellevue?) when she was not insane? Just because the family was cash-strapped? Were there no other facilities where she could be accommodated?

by Anonymousreply 268September 2, 2017 9:29 PM

R267, a lot of us read it as children. A friend of mine read it when she was 12; she was also Catholic and instead of worrying she would become possessed, she worried that God would choose to impregnate her with his Son.

[quote]It's a really good movie - has some anachronistic attributes but overall still holds up.

Which anachronisms?

There's one scene that always annoys me because the rhythm is off...it's just the editing.

"Shall we summon the writer? He's in Paris, I believe."

"Hiding?"

"Fucking!"

[laughter from everyone, including bystanders]

It just plays out too quickly, and the joke isn't even really funny.

by Anonymousreply 269September 2, 2017 9:41 PM

I read an article in Newsweek about the Exorcist. I didn't even see the movie, I was only 9. I was so freaked out I slept with a rosary under my pillow. My parents almost took me to a therapist.

by Anonymousreply 270September 2, 2017 9:52 PM

That's hilarious R270.

Does anyone know what song Fr. Dyer is playing at the piano at the dinner party? The one everyone is singing along with.

by Anonymousreply 271September 2, 2017 10:34 PM

"The Omen" is full of Catholic imagery but at heart is a very Protestant, fundamentalist film about the signs of the Antichrist and how it cannot be stopped. "The Exorcist," on the other hand, is Catholic through and through.

by Anonymousreply 272September 2, 2017 10:45 PM

Bellevue (both then and now) has both med/surg and psych. She had trouble with her ankle, we saw Karras was dressing her wound in her Hells Kitchen apartment. They probably brought her there and saw she had altered mental status so sent her to the psych side. Bellevue is a public hospital so it was all she could afford, Karras's uncle said "you got the money for a private hospital?" because Karras obviously didn't like the level of care there.

by Anonymousreply 273September 2, 2017 11:32 PM

In the novel Karra's mother has a mental breakdown; she shrieks and screams and talks to her old plastic radio. She's penniless, so she'd taken to Bellevue. Karras wants her in a better place, but her few remaining relatives have no money for that. It compounds his guilt; if he'd become a psychiatrist instead of a penniless priest his poor mother wouldn't have had to live in a hovel and get hauled off to Bellevue when her mind started to go. Pazuzu pretends to be Karra's mother to push his buttons; he hears his mother's voice sadly imploring "why you do dis to me, Dimmy?" It works like a charm.

by Anonymousreply 274September 2, 2017 11:42 PM

While I was growing up in the 70s, it was common for kids to sneak off with their parents' horror novels. I read The Omen when I was 8, and followed it up with Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Exorcist, and Audrey Rose, all courtesy of my dad's bookshelf- I even remember discussing Salem's Lot with him. The only book that didn't scare me was The Exorcist, oddly.

by Anonymousreply 275September 3, 2017 12:40 AM

You had the mental capacity to read a novel at 8 years old and grasp its concepts? Were you a wunderkind or a savant?

by Anonymousreply 276September 3, 2017 12:48 AM

Audrey Rose deserves its own thread. That movie was really disturbing to me, for some reason I remember they took me to see it in the movie theater when I was like seven years old or so. Not for kids, especially the scene where Audrey burns alive in the car.

by Anonymousreply 277September 3, 2017 12:55 AM

I want to do some Googling about Pazuzu but I don't want to bring him into my life through my laptop.

by Anonymousreply 278September 3, 2017 12:55 AM

r276 Of course I didn't fully comprehend the nuances of those books the same as adults did, but I and many of my friends still read them. I read above my grade level and understood enough to follow the basic storylines and grasp some of the emotional underpinnings. My father and uncle discussed some of them with me, because they didn't believe in dumbing down their kids.

by Anonymousreply 279September 3, 2017 1:37 AM

Have you read the sequel to Audrey Rose, 277?

by Anonymousreply 280September 3, 2017 1:52 AM

I read "The Exorcist" when I was 12 or 13. I read "The Godfather" when I was around that same age. I read "Hollywood Babylon" when I was 14 or 15. I think I understood them all, but as an adult I re-read them from a different perspective.

by Anonymousreply 281September 3, 2017 1:55 AM

^^^no, and didn't read the original novel either. Just saw the movie. Does Audrey get reincarnated again?

by Anonymousreply 282September 3, 2017 2:11 AM

Is that you Paul A? What is it with their Excorcist obsession?

by Anonymousreply 283September 3, 2017 3:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284September 3, 2017 3:34 AM

R146 is a download. Fuck the R146.

by Anonymousreply 285September 3, 2017 3:50 AM

R282, she comes back as an autistic girl. Audrey's father goes insane trying to figure out who she reincarnated as. Audrey's father and Ivy's mother spend way too much of the book in India talking metaphysical bullshit, then end up running a center for Ivy/Audrey/Whatever her new name was and other autistic children.

by Anonymousreply 286September 3, 2017 3:57 AM

Oops, it was Ivy's dad who went nuts while looking for her.

by Anonymousreply 287September 3, 2017 3:59 AM

R180, they used the sound of bees buzzing in the background sounds and that's what left a lot of people feeling ill.

by Anonymousreply 288September 3, 2017 4:00 AM

R186, Blair Witch is a horror classic.

by Anonymousreply 289September 3, 2017 4:03 AM

R195, Hamm has a slit for a mouth. Big turnoff on a guy. Only a female can pull it off and that's a long shot. Jon Hamm, treat yourself to some lips this coming holiday season. I've always believed his mealy looking mouth arrested a bigger career. The weak lips always seem to advertise a weak character. After all, you've just a hole in your face you call a mouth. Leeches laugh at you.

by Anonymousreply 290September 3, 2017 4:11 AM

[quote]Audrey Rose deserves its own thread. That movie was really disturbing to me, for some reason I remember they took me to see it in the movie theater when I was like seven years old or so. Not for kids, especially the scene where Audrey burns alive in the car.

I remember that I found the ending so sad.

by Anonymousreply 291September 3, 2017 4:17 AM

The scariest thing about Audrey Rose was that creepy short TV ad, with the image of Brooke Shields on the tombstone. The movie itself was pathetic and the girl playing Audrey was really annoying. But the guy who played the father was pretty hot and he had some nice pornstache.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292September 3, 2017 4:19 AM

The actress who played Audrey is the mother of 7 and a complete conservative nut.

by Anonymousreply 293September 3, 2017 4:20 AM

R293 Wow, you weren't kidding. Just another reason for me to hate this cunt.

She still has those ugly buggy eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294September 3, 2017 4:28 AM

The genius behind Blair Witch is that you never know who the evil being is.

Best part is their tent being slapped about on the outside. Hearing a baby cry. The rock piles. The tree branched figures hanging from the trees.

Best line "There's no baby in the woods!"

by Anonymousreply 295September 3, 2017 4:51 AM

the best part of Blair Witch was when it was over and you got to leave. The movie sucked.

by Anonymousreply 296September 3, 2017 4:57 AM

Agreed R296. An utterly stupid movie, a total waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 297September 3, 2017 5:00 AM

R296 Shut up, cunt. The Blair Witch Project was awesome and even the critics loved it (it even has a "certified fresh" rating on rottentomatoes, which is extremely rare for a horror film). I can't imagine watching that film on the big screen (or any other shaky cam, found footage film for that matter) but if you watch it at night on your TV when you're home alone (possibly even with headphones) it makes for a truly terrifying experience. One of my favorite parts is that weirdo woman telling the story about seeing the witch when she was girl - both the woman and the story she told were scary as hell.

More horror films shoud take a cue from TBWP and apply the "less is more" principle - floating people, furniture moving by itself, creepy dolls, small Asian girls with hair over their face...just aren't scary anymore.

by Anonymousreply 298September 3, 2017 5:10 AM

Your mother sews socks that smell!

by Anonymousreply 299September 3, 2017 5:30 AM

Was that an actual line used in a parody, R299? I keep coming across it. It's really lame.

by Anonymousreply 300September 3, 2017 6:40 AM

Let's talk some more about the Blair Witch in a thread about The Exorcist!

by Anonymousreply 301September 3, 2017 6:40 AM

I don't want to derail this thread even further, but The Blair Witch Project was indeed a really stupid movie. Nothing is ever explained, it gets away with a lot of plot holes and bad acting because it presents itself as unadulterated "found footage". No movie should be able to do that.

by Anonymousreply 302September 3, 2017 6:42 AM

Nobody is here for discussion about Blair Witch in The Exorcist thread.

by Anonymousreply 303September 3, 2017 6:43 AM

Remember that scene in "Can't Stop The Music" where they had little kids playing Village People? I read that two of them were portrayed by the male cast members of the Blair Witch Project-a far scarier movie than the Exorcist. "Can't Stop The Music" is like comfort food for me.

by Anonymousreply 304September 3, 2017 6:48 AM

[quote]William Peter Blatty was friends with Shirley MacLaine, and had visited her at her estate, raising her daughter Sachi Parker by herself, surrounded by an entourage of nannies and tutors helping with the process, taking time out here and there to film a movie. This became the inspiration and prototype for Chris and Regan. ( "Maclaine" isn't that far off from " Macneal").

-Trivia section on IMDB

by Anonymousreply 305September 3, 2017 8:39 AM

So why didn't Shirley do the film if it was based on her? (I think she had directed some sort of documentary early in her career.)

by Anonymousreply 306September 3, 2017 8:53 AM

I think Chris is supposed to be quite famous. In the scene where she meets Father Karris on a bridge she first brushes him off like he is a fan. The way it is played (she's all wrapped in scarves and hats like she doesn't want to be recognized) and the way Burstyn says please leave me alone sort of implies that she has had fan encounters a lot in her life. Plus when Karris is watching her filming at the beginning he seems sort of star struck like he is seeing a famous person.

by Anonymousreply 307September 3, 2017 8:56 AM

I read adult smutty and pulpy books when i was a preteen, too. Biographies of famous people. Harold Robbins, Jacqueline Susann. Horror books. I didnt like the spy thriller books and I didn't like Agatha Christie. Mostly in summer because those were the books in the summer houses and nobody was really watching what any of us kids were doing anyway.

I read classics too. I would read short story anthologies as well.

Also the most tedious reading experience was forcing myself through Lord of the Rings.

by Anonymousreply 308September 3, 2017 9:26 AM

no one cares r308.

Now back to the Exorcist please.

by Anonymousreply 309September 3, 2017 9:28 AM

"Karras - give my daughter the shot!!!!"

"I did NOT lift my skirt...Pazuzu made it TWIRL UP!!!"

by Anonymousreply 310September 3, 2017 9:38 AM

I've read Carol Burnett was actually offered the role.

People probably would have gone expecting a comedy. I wonder if that would have made it scarier or just campy.

(I don't think Burnett had done serious roles much at this point)

by Anonymousreply 311September 3, 2017 10:20 AM

I remember in the novel Chris was in DC filming a musical version of Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. In the film it looks like she's playing some kind of protest rebel rouser. I love it when Burstyn's Chris, with a wave of her hand, gets a hair/make up gal to back off right before she does a take.

by Anonymousreply 312September 3, 2017 5:56 PM

Interesting interview with Friiedkin, whose new documentary includes a real exorcism:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313September 3, 2017 6:14 PM

Maybe not in third grade, but certainly by fifth, I was reading my mother's paperbacks at night in bed. Among those I remember are, yes "The Exorcist," along with "Jaws," "The Other Side of Midnight," "Rogue Roman" (hot, with what I only vaguely understood to be gay sex, at least implied) and the "Jackie, Oh!" trash bio by what's-her-name.

I felt so sophisticated. If there had been a phone in my bedroom I'd have wanted a pencil to dial it.

by Anonymousreply 314September 3, 2017 7:41 PM

"The genius behind Blair Witch is that you never know who the evil being is."

WHAT "genius?" The evil being is the BLAIR WITCH. See the title? It says "The BLAIR WITCH Project."

I was completely underwhelmed by this movie. All the fuss about THIS? A rip off of "Cannibal Holocaust", which did the "found footage" plot first and better? The shaky camera, which was supposed to be SO original and authentic seeming, was just nauseating. I was not scared at all by this movie. All I could think while watching it was: "what a bunch of loser idiots." The famous scene where the camera is right up to the girl's face and she's sniveling with the snot coming out of her nostril incited laughter from the audience in the theater where I saw it. And it WAS funny. Not scary. Funny.

by Anonymousreply 315September 3, 2017 9:07 PM

NO ONE GIVES A SHIT WHAT ANY OF YOU DOPEY FUCKS THOUGHT OF "THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT"!. I heard that Janet Jackson was offered the role of Regan, but she was locked in to her "Good Times" contract. I think she would have been phenomenal and probably could have written an Oscar caliber opening theme as well.

by Anonymousreply 316September 3, 2017 10:00 PM

A black chick as Regan? That would be interesting, with Diana Ross playing Chris MacNeil. Unfortunately Katherine 'I Love Jehovah' Jackson would never have let Janet play a role involving evil spirits and any version of god except Jehovah. Interesting though. They could have set it in the projects!

by Anonymousreply 317September 3, 2017 10:10 PM

It would have been interesting if they had kept the possessed child a teenage boy, as the original "case" was based on a boy.

by Anonymousreply 318September 3, 2017 10:44 PM

In the original case, the teen boy had to be 'taken to the rectory' to live with the priests for long overnight sessions. By the end of the first week he was calling his parents begging them to come claim him and swearing he'd never act out again!

by Anonymousreply 319September 3, 2017 11:07 PM

"NO ONE GIVES A SHIT WHAT ANY OF YOU DOPEY FUCKS THOUGHT OF "THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT"!."

Obviously YOU do, because you're having a hissy fit. Anyway, "The Blair Witch Project" was an overrated piece of shit. If hearing that unhinges you, I suggest you got see a good therapist.

by Anonymousreply 320September 3, 2017 11:51 PM

Back to The Exorcist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321September 4, 2017 12:37 AM

Have any of the studios done an Exorcist porn parody?

by Anonymousreply 322September 4, 2017 1:39 AM

I was reading and translating ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics when I was three and a half.

by Anonymousreply 323September 4, 2017 1:50 AM

Sexorcist

by Anonymousreply 324September 4, 2017 1:51 AM

[quote]It's a good movie with great performances but not scary at all (especially not if you're an atheist). I guess it must have been a life-changing experience to see it on the big screen back in 1973, but it seems rather tame by today's standards. I'm a millennial and it seems to me like The Blair Witch Project was our generation's The Exorcist

Honey, I'm a Millennial and "The Exorcist" scared the living shit out of me when I saw it. Don't dare put "The Exorcist" in the same category as the lame "Blair Witch Project". No one saw, not even to this day, a child on-screen performing the shit Linda Blair did. They wouldn't get away with it. I have no problem watching it now, but the scenes that really bothered people and made them sick/faint were the scenes in the hospital where she's getting medical tests done.

Catholics have always had the biggest reaction to "The Exorcist" for obvious reasons. If you're not Catholic or didn't grow up around them you'll never it.

by Anonymousreply 325September 4, 2017 1:58 AM

"Have any of the studios done an Exorcist porn parody?"

I think there was some porn movie called "The Sexorcist" I've never seen seen it. But it has one of the best titles of a porn movie ever.

by Anonymousreply 326September 4, 2017 2:29 AM

They should do a new one. Maybe Johnny Rapid as the possessed. Will Braun as the young priest. Now we just need an 'old' priest!

by Anonymousreply 327September 4, 2017 3:11 AM

Regan had her own hi nrg dance theme. Imagine Linda Blair in a cloud of coke at Studio 54 dancing to this one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328September 4, 2017 3:12 AM

I was 9 when The Exorcist was released and when my family was at another movie I saw the poster for it and I was fascinated. I asked my father to take me to see it and he said he would. My mother looked at him and said, "George, if you take my son to see that movie you will never see him or me or any of your other children again."

by Anonymousreply 329September 4, 2017 3:28 AM

Over 300 posts and no mention of the 1974 blaxploitation film "Abby" (a/k/a "Black Exorcist")?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330September 4, 2017 3:54 AM

Ooooh, is he the fella who starred in Blacula and Scream, Blacula, Scream as well?

by Anonymousreply 331September 4, 2017 6:19 AM

I was offered the role of Regan, but ABC wouldn't let me out of filming for EIGHT IS ENOUGH. Plus, Barbra Streisand warned Ellen Burstyn that I would steal the picture right from under her. Elle couldn't bear the thought. Women are so evil and envious in Hollywood..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332September 4, 2017 1:41 PM

Lol R332!!

by Anonymousreply 333September 4, 2017 1:53 PM

r332 is as unoriginal and unfunny as the M posts.

by Anonymousreply 334September 4, 2017 2:05 PM

LOL R316!

by Anonymousreply 335September 4, 2017 2:11 PM

Remember REPOSESSED? A hilarious EXORCIST parody starring Linda herself...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336September 4, 2017 2:13 PM

Linda's way older than Janet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337September 4, 2017 2:19 PM

We once had a fun thread about how The Exorcist would have been different if Barbra was cast as Chris. Someone wrote it would probably feature a cheesy theme song called "The Demon Behind Your Eyes".

by Anonymousreply 338September 4, 2017 2:33 PM

Regan introduces Chris to Captain Howdy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339September 4, 2017 2:40 PM

And for being a world-famous actress (remember, Lt. Kinderman asks Chris for an autograph for his daughter), why the hell were the MacNeils living in such a dumpy place?

by Anonymousreply 340September 4, 2017 2:41 PM

Dunno. They have help and she's going to buy Regan a horse.

by Anonymousreply 341September 4, 2017 2:51 PM

Yes - but rats in the attic? No central heating?

Could you imagine Meryl f'ing Streep putting up with such conditions??

by Anonymousreply 342September 4, 2017 2:55 PM

Audrey Hepburn looked surprisingly worn out by 1973 -it's hard to believe Wait Until Dark (in which she still looked very youthful) was made only a few years before that. Anorexic women always age like shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343September 4, 2017 3:10 PM

It was a rental for a location shoot, it seems. It was probably already furnished too, Regan found a Ouiji board in the basement probably left behind by the other owners.

by Anonymousreply 344September 4, 2017 3:10 PM

[quote] R146 is a download

I read R146 without downloading it.

by Anonymousreply 345September 4, 2017 3:20 PM

Several years ago I saw The Exorcist performed on stage. It was directed by John Doyle and starred Brooke Shields and Richard Chamberlain. It was one of the worst plays I've ever seen in my life. My friends and I couldn't stop laughing on our way out of the theatre. Shockingly, it never made its intended Broadway debut!

by Anonymousreply 346September 4, 2017 3:28 PM

OP, you didn't get what this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347September 4, 2017 3:30 PM

Had to do with this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348September 4, 2017 3:30 PM

Give a break to OP, R348 - she's a lil bit slow on the uptake

by Anonymousreply 349September 4, 2017 4:08 PM

I remember how it was emphasized over and over that Linda Blair was totally unaffected by playing the demon-possessed child, and how normal and well-adjusted she was. HAH! She became a druggie groupie; clubbing and drinking and snorting coke before she was 18 years old. Seems like after doing that movie she REALLY got "possessed."

by Anonymousreply 350September 4, 2017 5:22 PM

I was suspended for a week for reeding Tropic of Cancer to my kindergarten classmates.

by Anonymousreply 351September 4, 2017 5:35 PM

[quote] She became a druggie groupie; clubbing and drinking and snorting coke before she was 18 years old. Seems like after doing that movie she REALLY got "possessed."

She also did Roller Boogie - no unpossessed person would be able to pull a movie like that off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352September 4, 2017 6:55 PM

So sad that Linda had to go and reveal her lack of acting talent in subsequent movies. She should've just taken her money and lived a quiet life. She'd be more respected now.

by Anonymousreply 353September 4, 2017 6:59 PM

I thought she looked really pretty in her post Exorcist years. She probably got a lot of dick (or puss, depending on her pleasure) and she had name recognition for days, even if every movie she did after The Exorcist was a turkey.

by Anonymousreply 354September 4, 2017 7:06 PM

Ugh, she's had some bad work done though. Looks like she's got smokers teeth too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355September 4, 2017 7:11 PM

All y'all have terrible f'ing taste if you can't appreciate the acting chops of Miss Linda Blair in such dramas such as "Stranger in our house!"

by Anonymousreply 356September 4, 2017 7:26 PM

That Exorcist tv show starring DL fave Geena Davis was the most boring thing ever.

I snoozed through four episodes and finally decided, why bother?

by Anonymousreply 357September 4, 2017 7:39 PM

Linda should have had the Oscar for Caged Heat.

by Anonymousreply 358September 4, 2017 7:41 PM

"Repossessed" was about as funny as stepping in dog shit, R336.

by Anonymousreply 359September 4, 2017 7:42 PM

R358, I agree completely, the broom-handle rape scene alone should have gotten her a sweep of all the critics' awards that year!

by Anonymousreply 360September 4, 2017 7:44 PM

R359, what's wrong? you mean you don't appreciate the high comedy of adult Regan dressed as an icecream cone, saying "lick me! lick me!?"

by Anonymousreply 361September 4, 2017 7:47 PM

R346, do you know if the upcoming production in London has the same script as the one starring Brooke Shields?

by Anonymousreply 362September 4, 2017 8:30 PM

Linda hot prime Rick dick--Springfield...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363September 4, 2017 9:01 PM

And James...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364September 4, 2017 9:02 PM

RJ wrote Coldblooded about Linda

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365September 4, 2017 9:04 PM

Rick Sprinfield was a near pedo. He liked to hear bones crunch.

by Anonymousreply 366September 4, 2017 9:05 PM

Speaking of bones,the crucifix that Regan uses to masturbate with is described in the novel as "bone white."

by Anonymousreply 367September 4, 2017 9:06 PM

[quote]Speaking of bones,the crucifix that Regan uses to masturbate with is described in the novel as "bone white."

R367, Geez, I don't want to derail this thread, but that reminds me of the ending of 'The Devils', when Vanessa Redgrave is given Oliver Reed's charred femur, after he's been burned at the stake, and proceeds to masturbate with it.

Anyhoo, carry on!

by Anonymousreply 368September 4, 2017 10:05 PM

Exactly, R340. It was just a rental.

The real house doesn't have that added wing by the steps and is across the street from the bar that was used for St. Elmo's Fire in the eponymous film.

by Anonymousreply 369September 4, 2017 10:24 PM

One thing I like about the film is that that, despite being set in DC, you see no second unit establishing shots of monuments, landmarks, reflecting pools, anything. Just Georgetown. Exorcist III took the other route.

by Anonymousreply 370September 4, 2017 10:26 PM

I think there's restored footage of Chris taking Regan sightseeing in D.C. I don't recall exactly but I think it's by the monument.

by Anonymousreply 371September 4, 2017 10:31 PM

Thank you, R371! I mentioned this earlier but everyone ignored the fuck out of me. I appreciate you.

by Anonymousreply 372September 4, 2017 10:32 PM

I got to suck Rick Springfield's dick!!!

Jealous, bitches??!

by Anonymousreply 373September 4, 2017 10:37 PM

Poor Linda tried to reinvent herself as a sex symbol. She did nude photos but nobody took her seriously as a sexpot, probably because she was such a porker. Look at her in that photo at R364; what a chunk she was.

by Anonymousreply 374September 4, 2017 10:37 PM

She had a REAL body, not an emancipated one.

by Anonymousreply 375September 4, 2017 10:41 PM

"I got to suck Rick Springfield's dick!!!

Jealous, bitches??!"

No. He has a face like a horse. And that feathered hair! Nope, no jealousy here.

by Anonymousreply 376September 4, 2017 10:41 PM

^Emaciated.

by Anonymousreply 377September 4, 2017 10:41 PM

The scariest movie I ever saw was on TV. The Other. It was shot in Black & White, even though I think it came out in the 60's or the 70's.. It starred Uta Hagen. Fantastic movie. Based on a book by Thomas Tryon. He used to be an actor but started writing novels and he was good at it. Anyone else remember it?

by Anonymousreply 378September 4, 2017 10:42 PM

At least her body is finally emancipated from the demon Pazuzu..

by Anonymousreply 379September 4, 2017 10:42 PM

R376 would have been on her knees for '80s Rick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380September 4, 2017 10:44 PM

the other is a great movie but it was filmed on color.

by Anonymousreply 381September 4, 2017 10:49 PM

The Other is a great movie. The novel was written by very handsome (and gay) Tom Tryon. Really worth looking up. Its cast includes a very young John Ritter.

Now, back to The Exorcist. R370, R371, R372, Thanks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382September 4, 2017 10:52 PM

[quote] do you know if the upcoming production in London has the same script as the one starring Brooke Shields?

It's John Pielmeier's adaptation, but I hope he did significant re-writes since the Los Angeles run a few years ago, or else there will be a horror unleashed on London like never seen before.....meaning, a really terrible play.

by Anonymousreply 383September 4, 2017 11:07 PM

Both her tits and her snatch are a solid B+

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384September 4, 2017 11:51 PM

That photo at R384 is obviously fake. Even if it wasn't, her tits and ass sure as hell wouldn't have rated a "solid B +." More like a C -.

by Anonymousreply 385September 4, 2017 11:55 PM

she did lots of the devil's whore shots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386September 4, 2017 11:58 PM

I remember "The Other." It wasn't a possession movie, it was a mental illness movie. The boy, Niles, is completely off his rocker. Anyway, the movie had some good things about it, but there some drastic plot changes that fucked it up. And the ending was very confusing. I think a remake that is more faithful to the book is in order. It could be really something if done right.

by Anonymousreply 387September 5, 2017 12:00 AM

She's got fat labias, do guys get into that?

by Anonymousreply 388September 5, 2017 2:32 AM

Linda's body was just fine. She was thick and had great boobs. Not every woman is built like a skeleton.

by Anonymousreply 389September 5, 2017 2:33 AM

Girls with fat labias are whores because they like sex more because it's easier to orgasm. Even Pazuzuz would worship Rick Springfield's ginormous cherry busting cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390September 5, 2017 2:36 AM

You know he was slapping that ass when he was doing her doggie style.

by Anonymousreply 391September 5, 2017 2:37 AM

Her parents allowed his fine ass to stay with them when she was still a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 392September 5, 2017 2:43 AM

They probably listened at the door while he was banging the shit out of her. I would have. I would have taken my meat out and jerked off and shot all over the orange shag carpet.

by Anonymousreply 393September 5, 2017 2:57 AM

Rick briefly talked about their relationship in his salacious tell all several years ago. He really was a FREAK. Probably still is.

by Anonymousreply 394September 5, 2017 3:02 AM

I've already done more than my fair share to derail an Exorcist thread...sorry...but yeah Rick was a freak because he was battling mental illness while he was popular. He didn't drop from the scene for lack of offers or being dropped from a contract. He dropped out. He had to or he would have killed himself. His book is a great read. He doesn't hold much back. He did tear through the young pussy back in the day though..

by Anonymousreply 395September 5, 2017 3:22 AM

I love the moment when Chris asks Kinderman if he would like more coffee - not serious but to be polite - and he responds "Yes". I love the look on Burstyn's face and she pauses to stare at him.

by Anonymousreply 396September 5, 2017 4:28 AM

Didn't Chris offer Father Merrin coffee spiked with some brandy?

Was that a thing back then?

by Anonymousreply 397September 5, 2017 4:32 AM

I love all the scenes of hospitality in The Exorcist.

by Anonymousreply 398September 5, 2017 6:47 AM

I just remembered a detailnive always wondered about and have never sought an answer for: in the "oh Mom, can't we get a horse?" scene after Chris walks home among the trick-or-treaters and sees Karras looking very intense talking to another priest, WHAT in god's name is the thing that Regan pulls out of the jar and runs away with? And then Chris chases after her and tackles her at the bottom of the staircase and says "Give it up! Give it up! You'll be sorry!" while Regan laughs and yells "Nooooo!"

What on earth was the thing she had in her hand?! I know it's just meant to be a playful scene establishing their loving relationship, but WTF?

by Anonymousreply 399September 5, 2017 6:50 AM

[quote]I just remembered a detailnive

Ugh. That was, "a detail I've..."

What is up with the worsening of iPhone's autocorrect?

by Anonymousreply 400September 5, 2017 6:51 AM

She grabbed a cookie.

by Anonymousreply 401September 5, 2017 7:09 AM

I remember that scene R396. We watched the movie on TV in the mid 80s and my mother and my grown up sister both said "ooo I like those cups!" They were unusual, almost like octangal instead of round.

by Anonymousreply 402September 5, 2017 11:42 AM

Ew, R393. That's a bit much, don't you think??? I mean, really.

by Anonymousreply 403September 5, 2017 12:33 PM

[quote]She became a druggie groupie; clubbing and drinking and snorting coke before she was 18 years old.

No she didn't. Stop.

by Anonymousreply 404September 5, 2017 1:43 PM

I wonder when Ronald Hunkeler, the real possessed boy this was based on, will come out and tell the story about his bullshit possession. From the great research that was done a few years ago, the conclusion was he was molested by female family member and that's where this stemmed from. He went on to work for NASA.

by Anonymousreply 405September 5, 2017 1:44 PM

[quote] The Other. It was shot in Black & White,

No, it wasn't. It was in color, like every movie n those days.

by Anonymousreply 406September 5, 2017 1:53 PM

Mama, make captain Howdy stop hurting me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407September 5, 2017 1:55 PM

I have a Linda Blair movie night every one in a while - it's hard to believe how many crappy movies she managed to make in only a decade: Chained Heat, Night Patrol, Savage Streets, Exorcist II, Roller Boogie...

Chained Heat features what is probably my all-time favorite movie quote:

[quote] Don't you walk away from me, you chalk-faced whore!

by Anonymousreply 408September 5, 2017 2:03 PM

"No, she didn't. Stop."

Yes, she did. She got started with Rick Springfield. She got into a club despite being underage and met him there. Her indulgent parents were of the "anything your little heart desires" school of parenting; they allowed their little movie star darling to have a live-in lover. He was 24; she was 15. She went on to be a groupie; the writer Lisa Robinson said that "it wouldn't be a rock concert" without the presence of Linda Blair. She partied with the likes of Ozzy Osbourne, Keith Moon and Linda Lovelace. She was particularly attached to the wild southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd. She was the super freaky Rick Jame's lover for a time. She eventually got busted for coke possession. She was a druggie groupie, alright.

Rick Springfield barely mentions her in his memoir. He does say that he introduced her to sex and that she was "eager" pupil. Obviously the relationship was of mnor importance to him.

by Anonymousreply 409September 5, 2017 3:16 PM

So you old queens think this is a game?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410September 5, 2017 9:20 PM

Well R405, turning himself over to the priests stopped molestation by his female family member I guess. Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire though!

by Anonymousreply 411September 5, 2017 9:28 PM

Possession is not real. Exorcisms are nonsense and more a psychological response than a spiritual one.

by Anonymousreply 412September 5, 2017 10:32 PM

"Didn't Chris offer Father Merrin coffee spiked with some brandy?

Was that a thing back then?"

In a different era it seemed that people drank "cocktails" in the middle of the day or just whenever they needed a drink. It was kind of a cliche; hubby comes home from work and wifie would bring him a nice cocktail to take the edge off after a hard day at the office. You'd see it happen a lot on tv shows and in movies. In the novel Chris MacNeil has a fully stocked bar in her house. When her friend the director Burke Dennings comes over (he's an unpleasant lush) comes off the first thing he does is demand a drink. Chris also has a drinkie-poo whenever the urge hits her. She even offers to spike elderly Father Merrin's coffee with brandy. I always thought that odd; why would she think the priest would want a shot in his coffee? But the novel seemed to present it as perfectly normal.

by Anonymousreply 413September 5, 2017 11:51 PM

Brandy-spiked coffee does sound like a good pick-me-up for the early morning, though!

by Anonymousreply 414September 6, 2017 12:28 AM

Who wouldn't want to get their cherry busted by a 24 year old Rick Springfield? I hope he fucked her up the ass and that she hated every second of it. I hope he made her do ass to mouth to lick her shitter off his dick before he went back into her pussy.

by Anonymousreply 415September 6, 2017 12:30 AM

R415 = The demon Pazuzu!

by Anonymousreply 416September 6, 2017 12:39 AM

[quote]Rick Springfield barely mentions her in his memoir. He does say that he introduced her to sex and that she was "eager" pupil. Obviously the relationship was of mnor importance to him.

Probably thought it was best to not dwell on it, other than to say, she was totally into it! Can you imagine that happening today? He would have been drawn and quartered in the twin square.

by Anonymousreply 417September 6, 2017 12:55 AM

*town

by Anonymousreply 418September 6, 2017 12:56 AM

Poor Linda. In some interview she said that when she and Rick Springfield laid eyes on each other "it was love at first sight for both of us." I seriously doubt that. When he saw her he probably thought "oh, it's that little girl who puked green pea soup and fucked herself with a cross in "The Exorcist."

by Anonymousreply 419September 6, 2017 1:47 AM

One time Linda had her back to Rick and was riding his cock, and he asked her to spin on it. She misunderstood and only spun her head around, and then she puked on him.

by Anonymousreply 420September 6, 2017 2:15 AM

Freak he was he probably gobbled it all while he was shooting his load.

by Anonymousreply 421September 6, 2017 2:19 AM

Fortunately, ISIS didn't do as much damage to Hatra as they did Nimrod and Palmyra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422September 6, 2017 2:24 AM

Jesus Christ, ENOUGH with the Springfield/Blair sex bullshit.

In the movie you can see Chris has a fully stocked bar in the scene when Karras comes over and sits in the study while Chris is on the phone with her ex husband. It's not just in the book. Then she joins Karras in the study and she offers to get him ice but he declines.

As I said, I love the scenes of hospitality.

If it's just a cookie that Regan grabs from the jar, WHY in god's name does Chris make SUCH a big deal of it?

by Anonymousreply 423September 6, 2017 2:25 AM

If it's only a cookie that Regan takes in the "Give it up! Give it up! You'll be sorry!" scene, WHY in god's name does Chris react so hysterically?

by Anonymousreply 424September 6, 2017 2:28 AM

R423 - I misread your other post the first time. When you said you loved the "hospitality" scenes, I misread that you loved the brutal hospital scenes.

by Anonymousreply 425September 6, 2017 2:28 AM

Sorry for the double posts. I have somehow blocked MYSELF, and cannot see my own posts. Does anyone know how I can undo that, apart from clearing my cookies which I don't want to do?

by Anonymousreply 426September 6, 2017 2:30 AM

r426 that's right, don't you DARE touch those cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 427September 6, 2017 2:31 AM

[quote]If it's only a cookie that Regan takes in the "Give it up! Give it up! You'll be sorry!" scene, WHY in god's name does Chris react so hysterically?

Because it wasn't just any cookie. It was the cookie that Chris had baked for them to leave out for Pazuzu on Halloween Eve.

by Anonymousreply 428September 6, 2017 2:34 AM

LOL, R427.

That made my day. Really!

But seriously, can someone please help explain how I can unblock myself? When I go to the sidebar (this is using Safari on my iPhone), the "Ignore" function only shows entire threads that I've blocked, not certain DLers (like myself).

by Anonymousreply 429September 6, 2017 2:34 AM

Prunes

by Anonymousreply 430September 6, 2017 2:36 AM

I'm assuming she wasn't supposed to snack between meals. It also displays the bond they had so that the speech Chris makes about "that thing is not my daughter" has more context.

by Anonymousreply 431September 6, 2017 2:38 AM

I've figured out how to unblock myself. It wasn't intuitive at all, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 432September 6, 2017 2:56 AM

^ Sounds like a therapy breakthrough.

by Anonymousreply 433September 6, 2017 3:16 AM

Here is the original Exorcist spider walk scene, without the blood in mouth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434September 6, 2017 4:58 AM

BTW, did they give Linda Blair a long, prosthetic tongue for all of her tongue wiggling scenes?

by Anonymousreply 435September 6, 2017 4:59 AM

Yes they did R435. There is behind the scenes footage on YouTube (taken from the most recent blu ray) of Blair in the makeup chair, getting it fitted, and rolling it out for the 8mm camera.

by Anonymousreply 436September 6, 2017 5:07 AM

[quote]She even offers to spike elderly Father Merrin's coffee with brandy. I always thought that odd; why would she think the priest would want a shot in his coffee? But the novel seemed to present it as perfectly normal.

Many Catholics and Protestants of that era enjoyed their tipple without remorse, regardless of whether they were laity or in leadership. It was the more extreme Fundamentalists who eschewed drinking, dancing, and playing cards. I remember my Presbyterian auntie taking a bottle of wine to an informal dinner with her pastor and his wife.

by Anonymousreply 437September 6, 2017 5:12 AM

It's one of Chris' Quaaludes that Regan steals from the jar.

by Anonymousreply 438September 6, 2017 6:34 AM

In the book the demon calls Regan "piglet" and "sow." He also calls Chris"sow." Did the demon do that in the movie? I can't remember

by Anonymousreply 439September 6, 2017 5:33 PM

I thought the "cookie" scene was as excruciating to watch as any of the possession scenes. Or the hospital scene where she gets a needle stuck in her throat. I guess the scene was meant to show how much Chris and Regan loved each other, but it just looked really stupid. Both mother and daughter are acting like rambunctious toddlers; it makes both of seem kind of mentally challenged. And all throughout the movie Regan acts much younger than 12; I guess that was to contrast with the way she was after being possessed. But it makes her seem downright retarded.

by Anonymousreply 440September 6, 2017 9:17 PM

Who was worse: Regan O'Neil or Tommy Hyatt?

by Anonymousreply 441September 6, 2017 10:13 PM

Demons still possess folks, y'all. Remember Minga back in the early 90s???

And R441, my vote goes to Regan. There were moments when Tommy was actually funny. Plus, with Tommy we got Audrey (Doris). Score!!!

by Anonymousreply 442September 6, 2017 10:23 PM

Regan and Chris had the cookies. Alice and Tommy had the coke which led to waterfight which was much funnier.

by Anonymousreply 443September 6, 2017 10:28 PM

The book was stealth marketing for the old restaurant chain, The Hot Shoppe. I swear they go to eat there (and ONLY there) every chapter. I remember eating there as a kid on a trip to visit relatives down South in the mid-70s.

by Anonymousreply 444September 6, 2017 10:44 PM

[quote]Catholics only believe in one devil, not multiple demons.

NOT TRUE. There is an entire field of Catholic study devoted to demonology, as well as to its counterpart, angelology. This is based on the the scriptural descriptions of Jesus having driven out multiple demons.

And here's a little trivia regarding Vasiliki Maliaros, the actress who played Father Karras' mother. She died on 02/09/1973 (89 years old). The movie was released 12/26/1973. For me, this lends an extra sense of eeriness to those scenes discussing and portraying the death of Karras' beloved mom knowing that she was [italic]actually dead[/italic].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445September 6, 2017 10:46 PM

That's too bad about the woman who played Karras' mother, word on the street was that after seeing the daily's Lucy really wanted her to replace Madeline Kahn as Gooch in Mame, as she felt she was closer to the right age for the part.

by Anonymousreply 446September 6, 2017 10:59 PM

Is the Exorcist III really scary?

I swear, I'm afraid to watch ....should I watch it?

by Anonymousreply 447September 6, 2017 11:13 PM

Not really. I didn't even react to the hospital scene that seems to scare most DLers, although I am usually a scaredy cat.

by Anonymousreply 448September 6, 2017 11:23 PM

lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449September 6, 2017 11:49 PM

"In the book the demon calls Regan "piglet" and "sow." He also calls Chris"sow." Did the demon do that in the movie? I can't remember."

In the movie he said "the sow is mine" in reference to Regan once, I think. In the book he refers to her as "the sow" once but usually calls her '"the piglet." When he shoves Chris's face into Regan's torn up vagina he croons "ahhh, little pig mother....lick me, lick me, lick me!" Later he calls her the "sow mother" or "the mother of the piglet."

INnthe movie there'a a line that was changed from the book. Karras asks Pazuzu how long he intends to stay in Regan and he snarls "until she rots and lays stinking in the earth!" In the book he simply says "until the piglet DIES!" I thought the latter was much more effective.

by Anonymousreply 450September 7, 2017 12:57 AM

[quote]Not really. I didn't even react to the hospital scene that seems to scare most DLers, although I am usually a scaredy cat.

If you watch that scene with the sound off it's nothing. Really reveals how music directs our responses.

by Anonymousreply 451September 7, 2017 3:08 AM

R451, there is no music in that sequence.

by Anonymousreply 452September 7, 2017 3:44 AM

I was talking about the scene with the guy about to chop off the nurse's head with hedge clippers.

by Anonymousreply 453September 7, 2017 4:03 AM

R452, I believe R451 is referring to the hospital/nurse sequence in Exorcist III.

by Anonymousreply 454September 7, 2017 4:03 AM

Oh! Okay. Carry on then.

Can anyone explain to me the significance of the word 'pearl' as used by the demon in Blatty's novel? It refers to Regan as 'my pearl', and one or more of the adults in the story (Chris, for sure) reacts horrified and perplexed by Regan's choice of words.

What is it about 'pearl'? Is it a euphemism for a clitoris? (And if so, is that what Jill Sobule meant by "They can have their diamonds / and we'll have our pearls" in her song 'I Kissed A Girl'?)

by Anonymousreply 455September 7, 2017 4:13 AM

"Demey, why you do dis to me Demey?"

by Anonymousreply 456September 7, 2017 8:41 AM

[quote]BTW, did they give Linda Blair a long, prosthetic tongue for all of her tongue wiggling scenes?

No, Rose, they stretched it out with pliers and pained it black.

by Anonymousreply 457September 7, 2017 8:51 AM

Pearls before swine" and "casting pearls" refer to a quotation from Matthew 7:6 in Jesus's Sermon on the Mount: "Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.". I assume that is what was meant.

by Anonymousreply 458September 7, 2017 9:20 AM

You mean that wasn't Linda's tongue?

by Anonymousreply 459September 7, 2017 10:50 AM

Linda had a pretty long fucking tongue rimming my hole!

by Anonymousreply 460September 7, 2017 10:52 AM

Debunking the myths of Catholic demonology:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461September 7, 2017 11:04 AM

There is no such thing as demonic possession. There IS very profound mental illness, though, and that's what caused people to act "possessed." Karras told Chris that possession doesn't exist and she says what about Christ driving out all those demons and Karras tells her that if Christ had said those people had schizophrenia, which was most likely the case, he would have been crucified three years earlier.

by Anonymousreply 462September 7, 2017 3:29 PM

I don't remember him saying that at all in the movie. He mentions mental illness, but not that quote about Christ.

by Anonymousreply 463September 7, 2017 7:15 PM

Chris: How do you go about getting an exorcism?

Karras: I beg your pardon? Well, the first thing - I'd have to get into a time machine and get back to the 16th century...Well, it just doesn't happen any more, Mrs. MacNeil...since we learned about mental illness, paranoia, schizophrenia...Since the day I joined the Jesuits, I've never met one priest who has performed an exorcism. Not one.

by Anonymousreply 464September 7, 2017 7:43 PM

R464, you missed including Chris saying "I don't getcha." Burstyn is so good in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 465September 7, 2017 8:04 PM

People should watch the dvd's and blu-rays with the director commentary turned on. So many questions are answered and he does a good job of explaining things with some behind the scenes stories.

by Anonymousreply 466September 7, 2017 8:17 PM

R462, the point of that scene between Karras and Chris is to highlight the fact that many priests do not believe (or choose not to believe) in demons. As it becomes obvious in the movie, however, Karras comes to experience things during Regan's exorcism that simply cannot be explained by science and he ends up realizing that demons are quite real. In fact, he dies after this epiphany.

That is absolutely the case with documented exorcisms performed by the Catholic Church. Scientists and medical experts have given testimony to things that cannot be explained by their corresponding areas of expertise. The Catholic Church is very careful about labeling someone as being possessed and only does so (often reluctantly) after exhausting all other possible avenues and explanations.

by Anonymousreply 467September 7, 2017 8:37 PM

"You TELL me that an exorcism won't help her!!! For God's sake will somebody help her???"

by Anonymousreply 468September 7, 2017 10:30 PM

Does anybody else remember watching a 20/20 episode from the early 90s that supposedly showed a "real life exorcism?". It was a great, big girl and she was possessed by a spirit called Minga, who was a little old lady from Greece? LOL - I know I am not making this up...

by Anonymousreply 469September 7, 2017 10:34 PM

"I don't remember him saying that at all in the movie. He mentions mental illness, but not that quote about Christ."

This is from the novel:

Chris: If a person's possessed by some kind of demon, how do you go about getting an exorcism?

Karras: Well, first you'd have to put him in a time machine and get him back to the sixteenth century.

Chris: What do you mean by that? Didn't get you.

Karras: Well, it just doesn't happen anymore, Miss MacNeil.

Chris: Since when?

Karras: Since we learned about mental illness; about paranoia; split personality; all those things that they taught me at Harvard.

Chris: You kidding?

Karras: Many educated Catholics, Miss MacNeil, don't believe in the Devil anymore, and as far as possession is concerned, since the day I joined the Jesuits I've never met a priest who's ever in his life performed an exorcism. Not one.

Chris: Are you really a priest or from Central Casting? I mean, what about all those stories in the Bible about Christ driving out all those demons?

Karras: Look, if Christ had said that those people who were supposedly possessed had schizophrenia, which I imagine they did, they probably would have crucified him three years earlier.

by Anonymousreply 470September 8, 2017 12:34 AM

One of the motifs of the book/film was going from doubt and scepticism to belief.

by Anonymousreply 471September 8, 2017 12:53 AM

I remember reading the list of visitors to Roman Polanski while he was in jail in the 1970s, and Linda Blair was on the list. I'm drawing the conclusion that they had some sort of sexual relationship.

Linda was a mainstay of the gossip mags of the 1970s and 1980s. I was a big fan of Miss Rona Barrett's magazines, and she had the true dirt on people It was the 1970s and Linda was cavorting around like it was an acceptable thing to be a groupie. I remember seeing a picture of her in Rolling Stone where she was driving a van or RV and had a bottle of Kahlua and a pack of cigarettes on the dashboard. Then in the mid 1980s I had a friend who'd spent some time in Hollywood, and he said that she had been used up by so many people that she was treated like a joke. Her parents are to blame, since she had been supporting them for years with her modeling and then acting (Mom was her manager), and they would let her do anything she wanted, no parental control whatsoever. Much later I saw a documentary about her in which her father said he regretted giving her so much autonomy, and he should have protected her more. Sad!

by Anonymousreply 472September 8, 2017 1:11 AM

The Exorcist II: The Heretic has to be the most bizarre film ever made... still, it has its moments. When will you ever see James Earle Jones ever dressed up as a huge bumblebee? And the aerial views of Africa from a locust(?) perspective was pretty trippy stuff.

by Anonymousreply 473September 8, 2017 7:59 AM

Exorcist II was doomed as soon as Burstyn said no to it. Among the many things that don't work in the movie is that Chris has apparently just up and left her beloved daughter all alone in NY while she shoots a film. I mean after all the went thru in the first movie she just lets a teenager take care of herself and the doctor is responsible for her.

Plus it is so odd that Louise Fletcher is in it. People used to get her and Burstyn confused and Burstyn infamously tried to get the Academy to not give out the Best Actress Oscar the year Fletcher won because of the lack of good roles for women. Fletcher was not pleased with her.

Richard Burton is supposed to have been severely depressed on this film and practically drank himself to death while making it. His appearance is said to have deteriorated so much over the shoot that they had trouble piecing his scenes together.

by Anonymousreply 474September 8, 2017 9:24 AM

The CBS censored version of this film is hilarious. I can't get over it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475September 8, 2017 9:33 AM

Judas Priest!

by Anonymousreply 476September 8, 2017 12:20 PM

What drugs was Boorman on when he made Exorcist II, and can I please have some?

by Anonymousreply 477September 8, 2017 1:18 PM

"The Exorcist II: The Heretic has to be the most bizarre film ever made... still, it has its moments. When will you ever see James Earle Jones ever dressed up as a huge bumblebee? And the aerial views of Africa from a locust(?) perspective was pretty trippy stuff."

I may have seen a few minutes of this film. I remember Linda Blair, plump Linda Blair....tap dancing. I seem to recall she was in some kind of show, in a glittery costume, doing her dance, and far, far away Richard Burton (was it Burton? Or somebody else? I can't remember) was in some kind of physical agony and poor Regan feels it too, collapsing in pain and ruining the show. Did I remember that right? That movie was so bizarre, truly one of the worst movies of all time.

Poor Richard Burton. Such a talented man and he was doing a movie like that. He'd fallen so far and was so mired in alcoholism. What a waste.

by Anonymousreply 478September 8, 2017 3:00 PM

Yes you are remembering that scene correctly R478. It is indeed an awful movie. It has its fans though. Which is bizarre. I can't imagine ever wanting to watch it a second time.

by Anonymousreply 479September 8, 2017 3:48 PM

Do you know what your cunting r393 did?

by Anonymousreply 480September 8, 2017 4:15 PM

Oh yeah, wasn't Regan hooked up to some weird telekinetic device that was supposed to bring back repressed memories of her demonic possession? Exorcist II was so weird.

by Anonymousreply 481September 8, 2017 4:43 PM

Can nothing help you? Once you have been brushed by the demon's wings?

by Anonymousreply 482September 8, 2017 4:46 PM

Well... can you really blame Burton for being drunk during the entire filming of that shitfest, Exorcist II?

by Anonymousreply 483September 8, 2017 4:51 PM

Mmmm! The guy @ R410 has a *nice* bulge. I"d suck it! I'd just need to strap him down first.

by Anonymousreply 484September 8, 2017 5:14 PM

Isn't being a priest in itself a profession? Why did the Jesuits send Karras to medical school and Marrin to (presumably) archaeology school?

by Anonymousreply 485September 8, 2017 5:24 PM

Ouch! From a review of Exorcist II:

[quote] Linda Blair may be the least fleet-footed actress Hollywood has produced since the incomparable Joan Crawford attempted to keep up with Fred Astaire in "Dancing Lady." Seen tap-dancing, as she is on two occasions in "Exorcist II: The Heretic," the chubby-kneed Miss Blair appears to be stomping on live cigar stubs. The rest of the movie is even heavier and more lugubrious.

by Anonymousreply 486September 8, 2017 6:16 PM

This is hilarious (but RIP Dana Plato).

Why is this not a DL classic??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487September 8, 2017 7:09 PM

My favorite clip is where Burton goes to visit James Earl Jones dressed as a giant locust

by Anonymousreply 488September 8, 2017 7:39 PM

Linda looks like Any Schumer in that clip. Jesus. She was a shit actress.

by Anonymousreply 489September 8, 2017 7:44 PM

I think that clip is interesting though R487. It shows Regan using her powers to psychically heal the autistic girl. I though Burton's wan expression was him acting, but in this thread it's claimed he was suffering from depression and alcoholism so it makes sense.

"She's.....talking!!!"

by Anonymousreply 490September 8, 2017 7:46 PM

Exorcist is a shit-astic camp classic and here is Linda's response to everyone criticizing her acting!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491September 8, 2017 10:02 PM

I love how she says she was possessed by a demon as casually as if she was asking for change for the bus.

by Anonymousreply 492September 9, 2017 7:47 AM

Lol, R492.

by Anonymousreply 493September 9, 2017 9:01 PM

Regan's theme stands as a camp classic on its own. This needs to be some gymnast bitch's floor routine music in the next summer Olympics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494September 9, 2017 10:49 PM

r494, I adore that. Exorcist 2 is a fucking masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 495September 9, 2017 11:05 PM

"You know Regan, it's really dangerous to fool around with other people's heads."

by Anonymousreply 496September 9, 2017 11:36 PM

LOL, R496.

by Anonymousreply 497September 9, 2017 11:41 PM

r494 I think Regan's Theme is absolutely beautiful. One of Morricone's best, and that is saying a lot considering how great this catalogue is.

by Anonymousreply 498September 10, 2017 4:38 AM

*his

by Anonymousreply 499September 10, 2017 4:40 AM

R487=proof that Dana Plato's acting talent peaked at 8 years old.

by Anonymousreply 500September 10, 2017 5:33 AM

Anyone remember how they got Sharon (Burstyn's assistant in the first film) back into the story? Then at the end when she is killed or sacrifices herself or something I just remember Blair's insincere fake sounding "Oh Sharon!"

by Anonymousreply 501September 10, 2017 5:45 AM

Sharon is a major plot hole - was she bad from the beginning or only just right before her untimely demise?

by Anonymousreply 502September 10, 2017 6:05 AM

Sharon is not killed or sacrificed in any way in the movie-where the hell did you get that?

by Anonymousreply 503September 10, 2017 6:13 AM

in the second film she is r503

by Anonymousreply 504September 10, 2017 6:25 AM

Loving this thread.

Re: Linda Blair I went down an internet rabbit hole about her. Read about a cocaine bust in 1980, where both she and her then "rock and roller " boyfriend were charged. Was curious who the hell this guy was. Had trouble digging up the info, but he was a guitar player in a small town band. Not famous in the least. The only info I could find on the band was on a message board where people from that local music scene were reminiscing about the band. Several mentioned how weird it was to have Blair showing up at all these shitty local clubs to see him.

Searched and searched and finally found a picture of the guy. He was hot. So funny that Linda Blair descends on this small town from Hollywood, gets involved with a local boy, and winds up getting him arrested on a fairly serious coke charge.

Was able to track him down today. Of course, he's a minister. And he's now hideously ugly.

by Anonymousreply 505September 10, 2017 6:58 AM

Linda even had Pat Benatar's hot hubby Neil "Spyder" Giraldo way before he took up with Pat.

by Anonymousreply 506September 10, 2017 8:01 AM

The photo at r384 is obviously photoshopped. Linda's thighs were never that skinny.

by Anonymousreply 507September 12, 2017 4:25 AM

Another pic of serial killer Paul Bateson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508September 12, 2017 4:43 AM

Anybody remember "Summer of Fear?" Blair looked awful in that with her frizzy, permed disco hair and baby fat face doing her no favors. Leigh Taylor-Young was so much prettier.

by Anonymousreply 509September 12, 2017 10:10 PM

Summer Of Fear was actually very good, I believe it was directed by Wes Craven? Based on a young adult novel by Lois Duncan (I loved her stuff as a kid).

by Anonymousreply 510September 13, 2017 1:17 AM

"Anybody remember "Summer of Fear?" Blair looked awful in that with her frizzy, permed disco hair and baby fat face doing her no favors. Leigh Taylor-Young was so much prettier."

Actually the actress in that was Lee Purcell. And yes, she was much prettier than Blair, tall and slim, with a beautiful face. One critic compared her looks to Jane Fonda's. Poor Linda looked like a sack of potatoes next to her.

by Anonymousreply 511September 13, 2017 1:40 AM

Lick my pussy, you jealous bitches!

I am the prettiest girl in the room!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512September 13, 2017 1:46 AM

When "Exorcist II" came out People magazine did a cover story on Linda Blair with this caption: "Repossessed? No, at 18 she's cut loose for a year with her horses and rocker lover." In the article she comes across as a total idiot; she was quoted as saying in reference to her preference for musicians "they’re sensitive, and though their heads might be all messed up, they are more screwed on than other people." The article claimed that after Rick Springfield she fucked "Glenn Hughes of Deep Purple and maybe a couple members of the randy Black Oak Arkansas Band." The local "rocker" she was currently involved with was some guy named Ted Harlett. I guess he's the guy R505 is talking about. They lived together in a room in the family home; her mother approved of the arrangement. Blair burbled " Mom says nothing stands in the way of love,” and calls her relationship “a beautiful thing, even with Mom hanging around. We share the same bed as natural as cake and icing.” So her former lover is a minister now? Maybe being involved with a slutty coke head like Linda Blair made him take stock of his life and turn totally in the opposite direction.

by Anonymousreply 513September 13, 2017 1:54 AM

Eating disorder?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514September 13, 2017 2:12 AM

R513 this is him.

I swear to God, he was hot when he was with Linda Blair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515September 13, 2017 2:45 AM

He looks special.

by Anonymousreply 516September 13, 2017 3:20 AM

I want to see "Abby" now! Its an Exorcist rip off from 1974.

by Anonymousreply 517September 13, 2017 4:45 AM

If this thread makes it to 600 replies can the new thread be renamed to "...the opening scene in 'The Exorcist'"? Please?

by Anonymousreply 518September 13, 2017 5:13 AM

I fell into a Linda Blair google rabbit hole last year and read some story about cops in Florida who found her coked out and topless on the street. I'd love to read her memoirs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519September 13, 2017 12:28 PM

R517, it's on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520September 13, 2017 12:35 PM

Linda Blair and DL fave Pia Zadora both had the chubby chipmunk face. Linda lost hers though, now she has the skeleton look of a former coke whore- which of course she is. I love that she's so passionate about animals though, seems to be the real deal too- she's been doing it for years.

by Anonymousreply 521September 13, 2017 2:26 PM

Seriously damaged people are often passionate about animals

by Anonymousreply 522September 13, 2017 7:41 PM

So true, R522.

by Anonymousreply 523September 13, 2017 8:54 PM

r396, Ellen Burstyn was brilliant in that scene with Kinderman. Chris' annoyed reaction when Kinderman accepts her offer for more coffee, she stares at him because she was only being polite. And there's that look on her face when she walks away with the the cups-and-saucers, they clank and she nervously cringes. She doesn't want him to see how anxious she is. Her hands are shaking because at that moment she realizes her daughter killed Burke Dennings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524September 14, 2017 4:34 AM

Linda did coke in her trailer with Vanity during the filming of Savage Streets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 525September 14, 2017 5:08 AM

r218 is correct. The figurine that Kinderman finds at the bottom of the stairs is NOT Pazuzu. It is one of Regan's arts-and-crafts figurines. When Chris and Kinderman are having coffee, he notices other figurines, picks one up and asks "your daughter, she's the artist?"

It's hard to see in this pic, but Chris is holding the figurine that Kinderman was asking about. It looks like the Pazuzu figurine, but it's a turtle or other animal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526September 15, 2017 4:45 AM

La plume de ma tante.

by Anonymousreply 527September 15, 2017 4:49 AM

They should do a remake of "The Exorcist" except make it an Italian-American boy and family this time.. imagine the comedic possibilities....

by Anonymousreply 528September 15, 2017 7:09 AM

So Regan got away with it? It seems like there was enough evidence to make her the suspect in Denning's murder. Yet her only punishment was Exorcist II: The Heretic!

by Anonymousreply 529September 15, 2017 11:39 AM

I've seen interviews with an older Linda Blair and she really came across as well adjusted. I hope she got her shit together and is not in fact a coke whore as someone suggested upthread. Too many child star casualties as it is!

by Anonymousreply 530September 15, 2017 12:23 PM

Coke whore THEN, not now. She might have the haggy look but we never see mugshots or reports of recent crazy behavior. I think she just got caught up in 70s druggy stardom, a la Fleetwood Mac.

by Anonymousreply 531September 15, 2017 1:03 PM

Linda is really petite in person. Minuscule. I've met her.

by Anonymousreply 532September 15, 2017 5:37 PM

I know you all hate the Exorcist tv series, but I liked it in a weirdly compelling way.

At the end of season one Pazuzu had left Regan's daughter and was back possessing Regan (surgically-altered Geena Davis). Regan demon had thrown Chris down the stairs (sad to see DL fave Sharon Gless written out). The plot lines around the imminent arrival of the Pope and the satanists vying for power are new and different.

Star Trek hottie John Cho joins the cast for season two, premiering later this month.

by Anonymousreply 533September 15, 2017 6:34 PM

Just so you guys know, "camp" can be either unintentional OR intentional.

Brits usually use the word "camp" to describe when someone is DELIBERATELY trying to be funny and over-the-top, such as a movie like Austin Powers or from John Waters.

But, as Susan Sontag explained in the 1960s, naiive camp is a thing, too. It's when a deadly serious artist produces poor or mistaken artwork that's only funny to observers — or it becomes funny over time because of changing tastes and attitudes.

So THE EXORCIST is indeed "campy" to me, because I'm not religious and religious priests are not supposed to "suck cocks in hell" and heads don't revolve in their sockets spewing green paint.

by Anonymousreply 534September 15, 2017 7:21 PM

R534, I believe Sontag called that "pure camp" or "true camp" or something like that. Great example would be the film "Valley of the Dolls."

by Anonymousreply 535September 15, 2017 10:08 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 536September 17, 2017 5:13 PM

R528 there was a "documentary" about the real case with a re-enactment of the teen boy standing on his bed laughing and urinating on the priests kneeling bedside praying. It was unintentionally hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 537September 17, 2017 6:05 PM

R535 - "high camp"

by Anonymousreply 538September 17, 2017 6:12 PM

that sounds hilarious, R537.

by Anonymousreply 539September 17, 2017 11:37 PM

by Anonymousreply 540September 19, 2017 3:09 AM

R528, that would turn into a satire!

by Anonymousreply 541September 21, 2017 3:44 AM

Glad to see the TV show returning. I found it fun.

I'm reading the book now that someone up thread posted. Lord, the misspellings!

by Anonymousreply 542September 21, 2017 4:16 AM

[quote] They should do a remake of "The Exorcist" except make it an Italian-American boy and family this time..

That would be a great Datalounge satire thread.

by Anonymousreply 543September 22, 2017 7:59 PM

Still a classic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544September 22, 2017 8:26 PM

Still shocking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545September 22, 2017 8:28 PM

Here is a video of the opening scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546September 22, 2017 9:02 PM

More.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547September 22, 2017 9:04 PM

The frightening music of Krzysztof Penderecki really added to the ambience of the opening sequence.

by Anonymousreply 548September 22, 2017 9:09 PM

Got scared just reading this thread! Read the book when I was in high school and couldn't sleep without the light on for months afterward. Then saw the movie, which was terrifying. I was raised Catholic (now lapsed) but the idea that this was a true scary was part of what scared the hell out of me. However, my daughter, who is now 21, laughs hysterically when she watches the movie; she finds it silly and ridiculous, and the special effects (of that time) unconvincing. So, for her, it's totally hokey and campy. After reading this thread when it was first started, I was in DC for Labor Day weekend and drove past the famous Georgetown steps (which I had seen several times before). Still creepy after all these years!

by Anonymousreply 549September 22, 2017 10:13 PM

^^^ Meant true STORY not true SCARY!

by Anonymousreply 550September 22, 2017 10:34 PM

Book Of Love, "Tubular Bells / Pretty Boys And Pretty Girls (Regan's House Medley)" (1988)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551September 23, 2017 6:16 AM

R549, tell you daughter this movie is NOT camp and if I hear any more sass from her, I'm going to try some real 21st century style special effects on her jaded little keister!

by Anonymousreply 552September 23, 2017 6:24 AM

Did everyone get the message about the Linda Blair horror TV movie Summer of Fear coming to blu ray soon?

by Anonymousreply 553September 23, 2017 6:25 AM

[R552] Ha ha! I'll send you her address and let you take care of it!

by Anonymousreply 554September 23, 2017 9:48 AM

I love high camp

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555September 23, 2017 10:35 AM

"Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield

The song was a Top 10 hit in the USA. The single peaked at #7 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Mike Oldfield's album "Tubular Bells" was also a hit, peaking at #3 on the Billboard 200 album chart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556September 24, 2017 3:38 AM

The Exorcist Soundtrack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557October 1, 2017 10:04 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 558October 1, 2017 7:17 PM

bump in the night

by Anonymousreply 559October 1, 2017 9:40 PM

I was inspired to rewatch the movie and as an answer to the original question... When the priest is in the antiquities office he picks up the small deamon head he found and says evil to fight evil. I took this to mean that the village called on Pazuzu to fight what ever problem they had. Which links back to Regan using the ouija board to call on Pazuzu when she was unhappy about her parents not getting along.

by Anonymousreply 560October 2, 2017 12:20 AM

Did she specifically call on Pazuzu and ask for anything, though? I thought she had her oujia chats with Captain Howdy, not realizing who he really was?

by Anonymousreply 561October 9, 2017 3:25 AM

As a former Catholic schoolboy, I found the vandalized statue of Mary in The Exorcist more scary than Pazuzu or the spiderwalk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562October 29, 2020 4:58 PM

This is an old thread with a lot of replies that I did not read so forgive me if I repeat something that already has been posted. OP, if you are still here, here is a video which does a great job of examining/explaining/expounding the opening Iraq scenes from the film. There is more going on in the opening than you can imagine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563October 30, 2020 12:24 AM

I'm just unable to focus when ruminating on this or thinking about the movie, on anything else other than that over-the-top outfit that Ellen Burstyn's character donned as she prepared to leave Georgetown with Regan to the airport.

by Anonymousreply 564October 30, 2020 3:35 AM

Why would the devil go down to Georgia when he could go to Georgetown.

by Anonymousreply 565October 30, 2020 3:38 AM

I may have posted this already but if not:

My favorite part of the film is when Ellen Burstyn is walking home from work on Halloween and the wind blows and the nuns habits flap in the breeze and tubular bells starts playing. I always thought that this meant the demon had arrived.

then

I went to a TCM screening of The Exorcist with William Friedkin there and a woman in the audience asked if that moment was to symbolize when evil entered into the picture. Much to my shock Friedkin said he'd never been asked that before and hadn't thought about it. And I thought it was so brilliant but it was just an accident.

by Anonymousreply 566October 30, 2020 5:22 AM

Here's the scene:

Still gives me chills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567October 30, 2020 5:23 AM

If (heaven forbid) the original film of The Exorcist were to be remade, you do do a lot worse than casting from the TV show Alphonso Herrara as Father Karras and Ben Daniels as Father Merrin. Were she 15 years younger, Geena Davis could play Chris MacNeil.

by Anonymousreply 568October 30, 2020 10:03 AM

I love the Shirley MacLaine theory! McNeil / MacLaine, both actresses, McNeil/Burstynn plays an activist in the movie she's making in Georgetown / MacLaine was an activist and very politically aware. But the most telling of all is that they both had only one child, female, around same age, with the farther mysteriously not in the picture.

by Anonymousreply 569October 30, 2020 11:11 AM

I don't think the MacLaine thing is a theory. She was friends with Blatty and has said the character was based on her.

Not sure why she didn't play it though.

by Anonymousreply 570October 30, 2020 8:05 PM

Chris MacNeil just seemed like a generic actress and single mother, not at the very top of her game commercially nor a great glamorous beauty but successful and engaged in that the 1970s way. She didn’t have any special qualities that made me think she was based on Shirley MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 571October 30, 2020 10:23 PM

My fave.

by Anonymousreply 572October 30, 2020 10:29 PM

Shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573October 30, 2020 10:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!