Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Moonstruck

It was on late night yesterday, and I forgot how much I love that movie!

The whole movie was so well done, it makes me angry that Nicholas Cage was cast as Ronnie Camareri. He was the weakest link out of all the actors, and his accent was horrible!

Other than that, it's one of those movies that always picks me up when I'm feeling down.

It should be in top 10 movies of all time.

by Anonymousreply 86March 29, 2020 11:28 PM

John Patrick Shanley speaks for me when he put those words into Ronnie Cammareri's mouth beginning at 2:06.

So true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 27, 2017 11:46 PM

Cher was great in that role. Perfection.

by Anonymousreply 2August 27, 2017 11:47 PM

Cher won the coveted Oscar for Moonstruck - then never had a good movie again.

Her follow-up movie Mermaids wasn't a hit and even she didn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 3August 27, 2017 11:54 PM

Old man, you give those dogs one more piece of my food, and I'm gonna kick you till you're dead!

by Anonymousreply 4August 27, 2017 11:56 PM

Cher had very limited acting abilities but I'm glad that Hollywood threw her a bone with Moonstruck. She just kind of got lucky.

by Anonymousreply 5August 27, 2017 11:56 PM

Snap out of it, OP!

by Anonymousreply 6August 28, 2017 2:35 AM

R3 Mermaids wasn't bad. It wasn't great but effectively entertaining. Cher probably didn't like that Winona wiped the floor with her and nearly got Oscar nominated for it.

"Do you love him Loretta?" "Oh ma I love him awful". "Gee that's too bad".

Moonstruck is a perfect romantic comedy. No stupid plot devices.

by Anonymousreply 7August 28, 2017 2:43 AM

[quote] Moonstruck is a perfect romantic comedy. No stupid plot devices.

Even the music was perfection.

Fun when it needed to be, and romantic when it needed to be.

My favorite part is when the usher at the Met signals that the second half of the opera is about to begin by playing the xylophone, which leads directly into the music of Rose Castorini having dinner at the Gran Ticino. It's nice little touches like that, which add to the uniqueness of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 8August 28, 2017 3:20 AM

Cornball movie. Cher should send a thank you card to the academy. Because that Oscar was a gift.

by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2017 3:26 AM

I love the film but one problem: Olympia Dukakis' character, an Italian married lady who is a regular in that neighborhood Italian restaurant, wouldn't ask a strange man to eat with her, especially since the owner and waiters all know her. An Italian-American friend of mine pointed this out years ago, and while Olympia's and John Mahoney's acting is great, I kind of agree with him on this point.

by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2017 3:28 AM

R10 Olympia Dukakis was asked on a TV talk show what it was like to work with Cher and she gave a very pert, quick answer with a glued on smile. I could be wrong but I suspect that there may have been tension between them.

by Anonymousreply 11August 28, 2017 3:43 AM

The movie has spoiled my all-time favorite opera ... and every-time, I see La Boheme, just can't get Cher commentary out of my head. The best fucking review ever!

by Anonymousreply 12August 28, 2017 4:06 AM

I LOST MY HAND! I LOST MY BRIDE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 7, 2019 3:52 AM

[Quote] Olympia Dukakis was asked on a TV talk show what it was like to work with Cher and she gave a very pert, quick answer with a glued on smile. I could be wrong but I suspect that there may have been tension between them.

Apparently, Cher can only do short takes. I don't know if it's due to memory issues.

by Anonymousreply 14October 7, 2019 3:58 AM

Never seen it. What the hell is it about?

by Anonymousreply 15October 7, 2019 3:58 AM

It's about the moon colliding with the earth, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 16October 7, 2019 3:59 AM

CHRISSY, BRING ME THE BIG KNIFE

by Anonymousreply 17October 7, 2019 4:37 AM

I hate Nicholas Cage in this with a passion, I love everything else. I rewatch it every now and then usually on a rainy Sunday with Working Girl and Big Business.

by Anonymousreply 18October 7, 2019 6:54 AM

Cher insisted on Cage for the part, and I think she was right. He matches her goofiness with his own oddness. They're a perfect pairing. This is one of my all time favorite movies. Everything about it is absolute perfection.

by Anonymousreply 19October 7, 2019 6:57 AM

how in fuk did cher win an Oscar for that dreck?????? whom did she blow????

by Anonymousreply 20October 7, 2019 7:01 AM

Have the VHS recording (so I have a VCR, wanna make something of it?), and every now and then will pop it in, then settle down with a nice big bowl of popcorn.

Takes me back to 1980's Manhattan and Brooklyn Heights before they became transplant central. Of course it is wonderful seeing the Twin Towers just as they used to be from across the promenade looking towards city.

Cosmo Castorini: There are three kinds of pipe. There's aluminum, which is garbage. There's bronze, which is pretty good, unless something goes wrong. And something always goes wrong. Then, there's copper, which is the only pipe I use. It costs money. It costs money because it saves money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 7, 2019 8:43 AM

Lord. Watching Cage in that clip at R1 is painful. Just a horrible, horrible actor.

by Anonymousreply 22October 7, 2019 9:23 AM

Maybe I should rewatch it. I thought it was your standard romcom first time I watched it.

by Anonymousreply 23October 7, 2019 9:28 AM

It's a film about life, death and love. With a healthy dose of Italian (well supposed to be anyway) life thrown into the mix.

Just watch and go with the flow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 7, 2019 9:56 AM

Will admit some of Nicholas Cage's work post Moonstruck leaves me "meh".

However as Ronny C. no one could then or now touch that performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 7, 2019 10:02 AM

Tourists still gawk at the Moonstruck House in Brooklyn Heights.

by Anonymousreply 26October 7, 2019 10:40 AM

Nicolas Cage’s performance has aged very well in this.

I love all the scenes with Cher and Vincent Gardenia and the third act, of course, is absolute perfection.

by Anonymousreply 27October 7, 2019 10:46 AM

I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 28October 7, 2019 12:04 PM

Neither Cher nor Cage did anything resembling great acting, but damn - the movie is perfect anyway!

When did Hollywood lose the knack of making good romantic comedies? Because they have. A good romantic comedy about people who seem real and fun is such a delight, and it used to be a mainstay of the film industry. Now, the "romcom" label means the lowest of low expectations. Did Kate Hudson kill the genre?

by Anonymousreply 29October 7, 2019 5:42 PM

^The all-consuming need for greater profit from the next big thing supersedes everything else.

by Anonymousreply 30October 7, 2019 6:33 PM

John Patrick Shanley is a terrific writer, you’ll find great dialogue in even his biggest flops. I hear he’s a perv though.

by Anonymousreply 31October 7, 2019 6:49 PM

Im sorry, but Cher can be a very good actress...Silkwood, Mask, Moonstruck, etc...you haters need to suck it....besides, Cher has an Oscar, and you dont.

by Anonymousreply 32October 7, 2019 6:55 PM

I've said it before, Moonstruck is one of the few movies that would actually make a good stage musical (as opposed to Tootsie, Pretty Woman and Beetlejuice to name three recent ones). The musical cues are practically written in to the screenplay. Apparently, there was a workshop of a musicalized version of it some years ago but it never went anywhere (JPShanley may have pulled the rights, I can't remember).

by Anonymousreply 33October 7, 2019 7:05 PM

Shanley was handsome back in the day, and looked like John Mahoney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 7, 2019 10:08 PM

Her Oscar was an apology for overlooking her in Mask. Cher is good in "Suspect" with nasty boy Dennis Quaid.

by Anonymousreply 35October 7, 2019 10:24 PM

R21, you have such a head for knowing.

by Anonymousreply 36October 7, 2019 10:26 PM

That damn Vikki Carr record

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 7, 2019 10:36 PM

Cher was perfection in the part and no one else could have done it as well. That's my criteria for winning an Oscar and she fulfills it.

by Anonymousreply 38October 8, 2019 3:40 AM

Moonstruck was filmed a couple of blocks away from where I lived. I was in Brooklyn Heights for about 10 years. It was really a kind of hidden enclave, and the Promenade is still breathtaking. There were enough different places to go eat that you rarely needed to go elsewhere. There was a little twin movie theater, and a few secondhand bookstores. At one point, there were even 3 gay bars.

I lived there with the woman I later married, then divorced, and came out, and got sober, all there. And the day came when I left. I used to go back there every time I went to New York, just to walk around the neighborhood, and maybe go to a meeting. After over 30 years, there are still a few people there who remember me when I was a newcomer.

And, though it’s become pretty gentrified, with many of the little restaurants now more upscale, the feel of the place is much the same, with tree-lined streets of brownstones. And where else can you find a church with the original doors from the first class dining room on the Normandie?

Moonstruck brings back an element of all that. Funny, how a movie can still manage to reflect back to you after so long.

by Anonymousreply 39October 8, 2019 4:20 AM

It actually is a really good movie. Weird. Cher just does singing now. And Nic Cage's career really took a different path. Straight to Netflix path.

by Anonymousreply 40October 8, 2019 4:26 AM

WHO DID CHER FUK TO GET THE OSCAR??????

WORST PERFORMANCE IN RECENT MEMORY.....

CEPT FOR THAT ONE,,,,MORAI? MORNAI? SHIT I FORGET.....

by Anonymousreply 41October 8, 2019 11:34 AM

Is anyone else annoyed with the Screaming Queen troll? R41!? Is you’re caps lock button jammed up with jelly or the innards of a Double stuff Oreo? Ease up on the caps, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 42October 8, 2019 6:54 PM

I have blocked it.

by Anonymousreply 43October 9, 2019 4:46 AM

Love the whole movie. Olympia Dukakis is unbelievably fantastic. One of the great movie performances.

by Anonymousreply 44October 9, 2019 4:55 AM

This movie remains as wonderful as it did back in 1987. Everybody is fantastic in it. Every time I watch it, I appreciate something new. Like John Mahoney's sweet supporting performance. The scene between him and Olympia is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 45October 9, 2019 4:57 AM

This is one of the most overrated movies ever. It’s a piece of cinematic shit.

by Anonymousreply 46October 9, 2019 5:13 AM

Well, R46, you are certainly entitled to have a horrible and tasteless opinion. I suppose you think Crash and The Shape of Water are masterpieces.

by Anonymousreply 47October 10, 2019 12:57 AM

It's a cute enough film but calling it a masterpiece is an insult to other actual film masterpieces made that year and 1987 was an amazing year for movies: Out of Rosenheim, Morometii, Housekeeping, Babette's Feast, The Year My Voice Broke, Au revoir les enfants, Pelle the Conqueror, Ofelas...Now those 1987 films were fucking masterpieces. Moonstruck was just a bloody romcom with a slightly better than average script.

by Anonymousreply 48October 10, 2019 1:16 AM

It really was a masterpiece. R48 is biased against the genre.

by Anonymousreply 49October 10, 2019 1:18 AM

r48...well smell you

by Anonymousreply 50October 10, 2019 1:20 AM

Love this movie. It really has some great lines.

"Ya got a love bite on your neck, come on put some make up on it, cover up that damn thing. Your life is goin' down the toilet"

by Anonymousreply 51October 10, 2019 3:18 AM

Julie Bovasso (Rita Cappomaggi) coached Olympia Dukakis (Rose Castorini) on how to be "Italian".

In interviews Ms. Dukakis said after getting the role of Rose she was worried about getting things right, "I'm a Greek housewife from New Jersey, what do I know about being Italian" or words to that affect. Ms. Bovasso took her "sister" (from the film" under her wing and the rest is history.

That scene with Loretta and her mother having breakfast the morning after shows how well Ms. Dukakis paid attention to her lessons. The hand/arm movements that accompany "your life is going down the toilet" are right on the money.

The pinch Rose Castorini gives Loretta after letting Johnny in and noticing he has a love bit as well was totally improvised, but it fits and works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 10, 2019 3:50 AM

It's a masterpiece in its genre. Loved at when I first saw it and still enjoy watching it even now. Such a gem which won't be released in theaters nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 53October 10, 2019 5:15 AM

Hate this overated crap.

by Anonymousreply 54October 10, 2019 5:19 AM

Then why are you on this thread, idiot r54?

by Anonymousreply 55October 10, 2019 5:31 AM

ide like to thank all my fans for so many likes....

by Anonymousreply 56October 10, 2019 5:39 AM

Only old queens would think this piece of shit movie is a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 57October 10, 2019 6:21 AM

R57 lame sad old queens

by Anonymousreply 58October 10, 2019 6:27 AM

Unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 59October 10, 2019 6:54 AM

[quote]Is anyone else annoyed with the Screaming Queen troll? [R41]!?

I call him the Purposely Bad Speller. He is always the first person I block, since back before we had to block posters instead of threads.

by Anonymousreply 60October 10, 2019 7:11 AM

Here's a fun fact: Moonstruck was released on the exact same day as another DL classic was: Overboard! (on Dec. 18th, to be precise). And if you ask me:

Overboard >>> Moonstruck

by Anonymousreply 61October 10, 2019 5:57 PM

It seems the three witches of Eastwick did made a pact with the devil - they followed that film with three of the best post Golden Age Hollywood romantic comedies: Moonstruck, Bull Durham and Married to the Mob.

by Anonymousreply 62October 10, 2019 7:49 PM

yeh, yeh, did make, not did made ^

by Anonymousreply 63October 10, 2019 7:50 PM

R61 overboard has held up much better and is more funny.

by Anonymousreply 64October 10, 2019 8:35 PM

I watched it and thought: "what the HELL is all the fuss about?" I found it forgettable, mediocre, nothing outstanding about it at all. And God knows Cher didn't deserve an Oscar for this piece of silly fluff.

by Anonymousreply 65October 10, 2019 8:39 PM

Absolutely perfect film of its kind.

And that's all I'm saying.

by Anonymousreply 66October 10, 2019 8:42 PM

Cher is guilty of cultural appropriation for taking this role. SHE IS NOT ITALIAN! She had no business in this movie. At least there is some racial connection with Italians and Greeks, so Olympia Dukakis can get away with playing Italian, but not Cher.

Has Cher ever apologized for Moonstruck?

by Anonymousreply 67October 10, 2019 8:42 PM

"And one day you'll drop dead and I'll come to your funeral in a red dress!

That's for YOU, R65!

by Anonymousreply 68October 10, 2019 8:45 PM

Lovely film, funny and heartfelt.

If it has a flaw it's that the supporting actors are better than the leads, but that's true of so many films.

by Anonymousreply 69October 10, 2019 10:14 PM

One of my favorite films of all time. Also a film adaptation of my husband’s family. The haters here are the usual suspects: DL Cunt Club

by Anonymousreply 70October 10, 2019 10:54 PM

1987 was a good year for John Mahoney too. Just a few months before Moonstruck he got to be mean to Cher in Suspect,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 11, 2019 12:01 AM

Love it - I am a big Olympia Dukakis fan.

by Anonymousreply 72October 11, 2019 12:43 AM

Funny factoid about "Moonstruck": It was directed by Norman Jewison, who happens to be a generic gentile, but whose last name several Muslim countries assumed indicated that he was Jewish, and they therefore banned the film - including Egypt. I don't know what happened if and when they realised their mistake.

by Anonymousreply 73October 11, 2019 1:38 PM

R62 - The Witches of Eastwick, though, had a few cards to play that the other three films didn't: magic, a much darker underside, and Jack Nicholson at his endearingly mischievous best.

Factoid: Although the original story is set in Rhode Island, TWoE was filmed in picturesque Marblehead, MA, about 20 miles from Boston, just north of, ironically, Salem, MA, site of the Salem Witch Trials, and still milking its connection to witchcraft for tourist mone.

I visited, and Marblehead was indeed right off a postcard. However, it was autumn when I visited, and the biting Atlantic wind off Marblehead Bay could easily hold its own with that coming across the cliffs of equally picturesque Cornwall. Having been in Cornwall at that time, my heart goes out to the intrepid (and also picturesque) Aidan Turner for riding back and forth along those cliffs during filming of "Poldark", some of which must have taken place in the colder months, as the new seasons always debut in June.

by Anonymousreply 74October 11, 2019 7:47 PM

I love The Witches of Eastwick, Suspect and Moonstruck. Cher had such an incredible year in '87.

by Anonymousreply 75October 12, 2019 3:25 AM

Oh, the incisive wit of r67

by Anonymousreply 76October 12, 2019 4:58 AM

Would love to know what Italian-American actress people would have cast over Cher?

Remember it wasn't just about acting, but box office draw, something Cher could do in 1980's.

Maybe a young Anne Bancroft in her prime (born Anna Maria Louise Italiano in the Bronx), who demonstrated her comedic chops in "Fatso" with Dom DeLuise , but otherwise who else?

Besides you needed an actress who could go from a frump to glamour and pull it off; again Cher had that in spades, well at least then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 12, 2019 5:12 AM

R39 thanks so much for your beautiful remembrance of your years in the neighborhood, and your getting sober and coming back there and still seeing some folks who remember you. What a thing the passage of time is, and it's a gift to have been able to go back and see how it still is.

That movie kills me, and aways will.

by Anonymousreply 78October 12, 2019 5:28 AM

Man that was a shitty movie, specially her

by Anonymousreply 79October 12, 2019 12:06 PM

R67,

Cher had a racial connection too, being "Mediterranean", which her background could be considered a part of. Mediterranean includes many countries

by Anonymousreply 80March 28, 2020 4:56 AM

Cher wasn't Mediterannean - her real names was Sarkisian and she was Armenian-America. Armenia isn't part of any coastal area: it is a landlocked country in the South Caucasus region of Eurasia, and technically part of Western Asia. It is bordered by Turkey to the west, Georgia to the north, the de facto independent Republic of Artsakh and Azerbaijan to the east, and Iran and Azerbaijan's exclave of Nakhchivan to the south.

Armenia by no stretch is included as part of "Mediterranean" culture.

Google is your friend.

by Anonymousreply 81March 28, 2020 1:10 PM

^*That was for R67

And by the way, "Mediterranean" isn't a "race". Neither is Armenian.

by Anonymousreply 82March 28, 2020 1:11 PM

I think the lavish praise is undeserved but I don’t see how anyone can call it trash or not appreciate it for what it is. A very charming and entertaining romantic comedy.

by Anonymousreply 83March 28, 2020 2:18 PM

R83 - Agree completely with your post. And it has some priceless lines that can be trotted out at opportune moments. No one ever suggested it was Noel Coward.

by Anonymousreply 84March 28, 2020 8:54 PM

Somehow, Hollywood has lost the knack of making enjoyable romantic comedies. Good ones were common as late as the 1990s, when Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts ruled the world, but somehow the genre died in the last 20 years. Instead of funny and charming movies like "Moonstruck" and "Clueless", Hollywood has been making witless trash about annoying people and calling it "romantic comedies".

I blame Kate Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 85March 29, 2020 11:23 PM

Great, timeless film. It should have won Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 86March 29, 2020 11:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!