Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Object of My Affection (1998)

What do DLers think of this classic 90s gay film? I imagine some might dismiss it as a "frau film", but I think it's lovely. I adore 90s films and this one is particularly enjoyable. It's directed by Nicholas Hytner, a gay man, and has a very moving performance by fellow gay Nigel Hawthorne. Plus Paul Rudd is adorable in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 4, 2020 8:14 PM

I find Paul Rudd meh but the idea of a gay woman playing a straight woman who is trying to turn a straight man playing a gay man into a straight man makes my head explode.

by Anonymousreply 1August 27, 2017 11:27 AM

I've loved this movie for years. So poignant and heartbreaking. It deserved better than the rom-com marketing it received, and it's one of those movies that should be given another look.

by Anonymousreply 2August 27, 2017 11:41 AM

This thread made me look the movie up. Started watching it, amazed at how little of it o actually remembered from when it was originally released. I remember morevthe Chelsea theater where I saw it.

Then I thought "why is everybody drunk in this movie?" And I realized they must have slowed the film down ever so slightly, probably so that Russian audiences could understand it (even with subtitles)?

It's hysterical - everybody is slurring throughout the whole movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 27, 2017 12:49 PM

I think I liked it, sort of, although I don't remember plot details. I remember around this era wondering why gay movies were always so subpar. And then I remember seeing "The Next Best Thing" a couple of years later and longing for the great gay cinema of the past.

by Anonymousreply 4August 27, 2017 12:55 PM

Have always loved this movie. And you're right, Paul Rudd is adorable in it. Jennifer too, actually.

by Anonymousreply 5August 27, 2017 12:59 PM

I know it meant well, but there was a little too much of [italic]this[/italic] for my taste . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 27, 2017 1:13 PM

The book is one of my favorites and I've read it multiple times. The film adaptation is quite disappointing, though. Jennifer Aniston is so wrong.

by Anonymousreply 7August 27, 2017 2:28 PM

The film itself was good but Nigel Hawthone's performance was exceptional. His after dinner speech to Jennifer was remarkably poignant.

Tim Daly was impossibly hot in this and as big a dick as Dr Joley was he was far hotter than Paul Rudd. And Allison Janney is a hoot.

Didn't Winona lobby hard for this, having worked with Nicholas Hynter on The Crucible and wanted Keanu to appear opposite her?

by Anonymousreply 8August 27, 2017 2:44 PM

What r7 said.

It's an absolute travesty of an adaptation. The book is one of the best gay novels of the '80s. The movie is a pile of Hollywood pablum with total miscasting of the two leads (though Rudd is cute). I was particularly annoyed with the insertion of the theater crap, which has nothing to do with what McCauley wrote. Hytner and Wasserstein were NOT a good fit for this project.

by Anonymousreply 9August 27, 2017 2:58 PM

In what ways does the book differ from the film? How are the main characters different?

by Anonymousreply 10August 27, 2017 4:09 PM

the character of Rodney, the old gentleman who loses his youngish boyfriend to the Paul Rudd character---- Nigel Hawthorne indeed did a splendid job in his portrayal. My biggest takeaway from the film was sadness about his character, even though there was an attempt to show that he became part of that group of people who were tied loosely together as a family as the film ended.

by Anonymousreply 11August 27, 2017 4:51 PM

The will-they-have-het-sex angle got creepy.

by Anonymousreply 12August 27, 2017 4:59 PM

I remember thinking when watching this: "Paul Rudd is exactly the kind of nice Jewish boy my parents would have loved me to bring home."

by Anonymousreply 13August 27, 2017 5:16 PM

The film is a valentine to Aniston, and she just wipes Rudd off the screen in terms of charisma.

by Anonymousreply 14August 29, 2017 8:30 AM

It is an ok film but Wendy Wasserstein (the screenwriter) dumped her own baggage onto the film.

In the book they are both just fearful of moving ahead and sort of live together and even plan on raising the baby more out of inertia and because they are afraid of relationships. They never even talk about it. At one point when she gets really big they just sort of silently go and buy a crib. The book really captured that early 90s slacker type people. Wasserstein always had these odd crushes on gay men (some speculate it was due to her own repressed lesbianism) and she turned the film into a story of a neurotic woman in love with a gay guy.

by Anonymousreply 15August 29, 2017 9:00 AM

Bruce Altman is hot in this.

by Anonymousreply 16August 29, 2017 9:05 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 29, 2017 9:14 AM

One of the worst gay films ever

by Anonymousreply 18August 29, 2017 9:28 AM

R18 It's fag hag movie, which makes it gay adjacent at most.

by Anonymousreply 19August 29, 2017 9:41 AM

Fuck Fag Hags!

by Anonymousreply 20August 29, 2017 9:43 AM

R20 They wish!

by Anonymousreply 21August 29, 2017 9:45 AM

All the criticisms written here i agree with 100%.

by Anonymousreply 22August 29, 2017 10:26 AM

For a while the only gay male characters you would see on film (and on TV) were paired with straight female "best friends" as the primary relationship in both of their lives. This film, MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING, NEXT BEST THING, WILL & GRACE, etc. The mindset was clearly "two gay men in a relationship is icky, so we have to have the gay male and straight female be a kind of faux-hereto couple."

To be fair, OBJECT does give Rudd's character a BF, but that character is largely sidelined to keep the focus on Aniston's and Rudd's characters' relationship, even at the end.

WILL & GRACE took this to an extreme, which is why I never warmed to the show.

by Anonymousreply 23August 29, 2017 1:21 PM

"WILL & GRACE took this to an extreme.."

Actually a British mini-series called BOB AND ROSE took it to an extreme by having a gay man pretty much turn straight with a woman. And it was made by openly gay writer-director Russell Davies, who seems more interested in pushing buttons than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 24August 29, 2017 1:25 PM

Paul Rudd was so incredibly sexy in this.

by Anonymousreply 25August 2, 2020 8:57 PM

I loved the book, and think Rudd is fine. But Aniston is particularly terrible in the film.

by Anonymousreply 26August 2, 2020 9:00 PM

Saw it as a young kid and found it really depressing in some way. I haven't seen it since, but I remembered feeling like being gay was going to be more of a curse.

by Anonymousreply 27August 2, 2020 9:08 PM

This was way too Fag Hag wet dream. Also, it missed the opportunity to be a quintessential 90s NYC film as it wastes too much time at the carnival etc. when it should of utilized more NY location shots.

Also, I’ve hated that ugly little girl who screeches “YOU ARE?!?” after Rudd says he’s gay since seeing the trailer in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 28August 2, 2020 9:12 PM

Loved the book but the movie was a dud.

by Anonymousreply 29August 2, 2020 9:17 PM

I read the book years after the film came out, and it was a completely different story!

Agree about Tim Daley being soooo hot and dreamy, but can understand why the two younguns hooked up. Nigel Hawthorne's performance was Oscar worthy, the definition of great supporting role.

by Anonymousreply 30August 2, 2020 9:22 PM

[quote]"WILL & GRACE took this to an extreme.." Actually a British mini-series called BOB AND ROSE took it to an extreme by having a gay man pretty much turn straight with a woman. And it was made by openly gay writer-director Russell Davies, who seems more interested in pushing buttons than anything else.

r24, to be fair, Davies based it on a real life friend of his. My big complaint about these 'turning' shows/movies is when they still want to call the character gay, rather than bisexual. I saw a French film (forgot the name) with the same premise, and they too insisted on this nonsense that the guy was gay but he really wanted to fuck this one woman. If your dick gets hard for women (or one woman) then you are bisexual, stop trying to erase what gay means.

by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2020 3:21 PM

I was meh on the book (I liked an earlier book by the same author better) but agree this was a mess.

And while Will and Grace had its charms, we had films and TV shows for over a decade that still showed gay men and straight women as a "couple."

I love Wendy W but this was perhaps not a great fit for her, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2020 3:25 PM

There was a movie with Perry King and Meg Foster that had a similar premise about a gay man and lesbian woman hooking up and deciding to raise their baby together. I think there was some controversy involved. Amazing how all this controversy would go away if they'd just labeled the characters are bisexual instead.

by Anonymousreply 33August 3, 2020 6:30 PM

R23, although you are correct and the movie was far from groundbreaking, that was a time when at least movies and tv series with out gay characters were being made for general audiences. And in this one as a main character . Growing up in the 80s I would have wellComed these movies, where gay people were st least starting to be acknowledged in main stream commercial fare.

by Anonymousreply 34August 3, 2020 6:40 PM

[quote]There was a movie with Perry King and Meg Foster that had a similar premise about a gay man and lesbian woman hooking up and deciding to raise their baby together. I think there was some controversy involved. Amazing how all this controversy would go away if they'd just labeled the characters are bisexual instead.

r33, totally agree with you. I have actually encountered this in real life with "gay" men indicating that they are actually also sexually attracted to women, they get very angry when you point out this is bisexuality and keep on insisting they are gay. It's like they are courting controversy, no one would give a shit about you liking women if you just said you were bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 35August 3, 2020 7:14 PM

R34, I get what you're saying, but on a fundamental level these films are just pushing the idea that the only genuine relationships are between men and women, even if you're gay. It plays to straights' prejudicial idea that gay relationships are primarily about sex and don't really last (as if straights should talk).

While the movie of OBJECT does differ a lot from the book, I generally find Stephen McCauley's novels keep hammering on the same gay man/straight woman theme, where the gay male character rarely (if ever) develops a relationship with another man for long. The deeper realtionships are always between the gay man and the lead female character. After reading his last tome, MY EX-LIFE, I decided I didn't need to read any more and McCauley is largely a one-trick pony.

BOB AND ROSE was indeed based on the experience of a friend of Russell Davies, but after the show aired, I saw a story in the British press that all these single women were descending upon gay clubs in Manchester (where the show is set) to look for a "Bob" to "turn." To me that just reeks of playing into the stereotype of gay men who just need "the right girl" to turn them right.

by Anonymousreply 36August 3, 2020 8:24 PM

R36 My Ex-Life was loosely suggested by my husband’s relationship with his late wife. So there.

by Anonymousreply 37August 3, 2020 10:05 PM

It was rather refreshing at the time to have a gay themed movie where half the characters weren't dying of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2020 12:16 AM

R32, how could you have liked one of McCauley’s earlier books better? The Object of My Affection was his debut.

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2020 12:20 AM

Watched this again recently after not having seen it since its original release. I think being older gave me a different perspective this time around. It’s not a great movie but I didn’t hate it as much as when I saw it in my 20s. Paul Rudd was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2020 12:28 AM

I know this scene is schmaltzy, but it always gets me. I think we have all fallen for someone we know we can never have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2020 12:37 AM

I remember when this was supposed to star Winona and Keanu.

by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2020 12:42 AM

I love this movie. It was one of a handful of movies I’d watch on Sunday nights in high school to decompress before I had to go back. So well done, this was the performance Jennifer Aniston could’ve gotten awards buzz for, but I guess it wasn’t showy enough.

Allison Janney is also terrific. She has a line at the beginning about how her literary agent husband represented RuPaul. For years it was hilariously dated. It’s funny that it’s relevant again. There’s a similar reference on My So Called Life about Ru.

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2020 12:43 AM

Paul Rudd was the object of my erection.

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2020 2:50 AM

Jennifer Aniston was the cause of my meat injection, now she’s the object of my Botox injection.

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2020 2:54 AM

Stunning... brave... a tour de force.

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2020 2:59 AM

Loved the book. It's of my generation. The film will be a well loved rom com for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2020 5:53 AM

Chin up, young person!

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2020 6:46 AM

r41

I'm not sure Paul Rudd has ever looked more cute than that.

by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2020 6:47 AM

I liked the little Asian girl who was smarter than all her classmates and whom Allison Janney's character couldn't stand.

by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2020 8:11 AM

R37, your husband wound up in a long term relationship with you.

The main character in McCauley's book winds up with no male partner or even the promise of one. Just a Will & Grace-style relationship with his ex.

Big difference. So there.

by Anonymousreply 51August 4, 2020 8:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!