Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tonight the Documentary "Whitney Houston Can I Be Me" airs 9pm EST Showtime

Tonight is the premier of the Documentary "Can I Be Me." Do not miss this truth telling. Shot entirely on her last major tour "My Love Is Your Love" Nick Broomfields documentary is a profound revelation of Whitney's talent and reveals a side story that the religious community of NJ & her mother have spent decades trying to bury, Robyn Crawford. So raw and captivating is her concert footage that it has been the subject of bidding wars and litigation for over 10 years from both Clive Davis and her family.

However, the real draw is the performance of Whitney herself - the act of creation, the physicality of producing that remarkable sound that has mesmerized audiences, fans and the scholar/critics of the industry for over 35yrs now. Whitney didnt need bullet bras - she simply stood and UNLEASHED her excellence holding an audience for hours. The tour is covered extensively, from footlights to wardrobe changes between sets and the final exhausted getaway at the nights end.

Using YouTube clips to build the story this appears to be a pretty accurate portrayal of Whitney's life, both the wonderful moments and the sorrows. The individuals that participated knew Whitney for decades and thier deep admiration and respect for her is apparent. The genius of Whitney was her charisma and literally her unequalled musicality. Thus far music history bears out her iconic role as a the female vocalist that has single handedly been the high bar and model of 2 generations (and counting) of new singers. We are soon approaching 40 yrs that Whitney has maintained this status. A youthful Houston and Crawford told her agent that they were "wanting to create music to last 100years." They may well have created a voice and sound so unique that she remains the high bar, far more ambitious, as it turns out may well make that century mark.

Participants spoke freely about Whitney, they are not shy in stating that she was abused, inadvertently regarded as a cash cow by many, but most egregiously outside her immediate family. Whitney's sense of community and decency created burdens well beyond those of your average music celebrity. When tied in with gender assumptions that women are always caretakers - including the Brown family freeloaders- the shock of expectations will alarm film goers. This is separate and apart from her legendary philanthropy.

Despite what must have felt like crushing responsibility for so many - Whitney remains first and foremost an achingly funny, spontaneiously smart and biting humorist. Clever - intuitively on target with her comeback. Always smarter than her playmate - most certainly.

Where we derive the most pleasure from witnessing Whitney's private life is from the same moments we have seen on YouTube for over a decade - it is her deep devotion to her daughter. Bobbie Kristina was EVERYthING to her mother. Catch the remark where Whitney tell's Brown "MY daughter." Those words that speak a mothers utter devotion to the center of her life. Her child.

It is telling to note that her family was in court until hours before this documentary premiered at the TriBeCa Fesival. The reason? It didnt particularly paint her mother in good light (to understand anything about Cissy Houston is to understand the horrors of her own childhood resulting in adherence to such a rigid orthodoxy she achieved notable success) but most of all it shines the light of truth on Whitney's love for her constant companion of 9-11 years Robyn Crawford as well as during most of her marriage to Brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343March 2, 2018 7:25 PM

This will undoubtedly be the last documentary that treats Crawford with the respect and recognition of the very significant place she had in Houston's life. The family sponsored doc due next year will certainly reduce Robyn to a cypher. - just an assistant. Lets hope she holds a place that is more than a jealous mother's revenge and intolerance. Fortunately there are friends of theirs, even clinical professionals, that grant Whitney the dignity and respect due their relationship. They will tell you there was great love lots of fun and healthy mutual respect between Whitney and Robyn.

To see Whitney and Crawford together, the deep connections between them using virtually no words is mesmerizing. The sense of trust and safety is palpable. Crawford was Whitney's constant and most devoted companion for nearly all her life, even during the majority of her years with Brown. Houston & Crawford shared 3 living situations and essentially built a life together. There are a few people that are telling the truth - they understand that Rejecting the principle relationship is the stuff of cruelty and denies a human being authenticity so critical to human survival. Also they are less interested in maintaining family access and more dedicated to wanting people to understand how fame came to wreck any normal family life for Whitney - even dictating who she could be seen with in public.

Two close friends, very at ease in thier own lives with the LGBT community, express outrage at the games and harassment both Whitney and Crawford endured. They arent interested at all in making up stories about being "best friends" nor are they going to play the crudely homophobic taunting closet card "did you see them kiss" or "show me the photos." They understand that the hate directed at Crawford hurt Whitney beyond imagination. They are being direct and forthright about her bisexuality.

(One failing in this doc was the lack of context of the AIDS epidemic that just drove profound LGBT bashing across the US into monstrously out of control attacks - in churches - like the one Whitney grew up in.)

There is only one unimaginably awful scene. It involves Leolah? Brown bragging about the day Cissy showed up for an intervention. (This would be the same crew of Brown sisters that arranged a bathroom with paraphanelia took a photo and shopped it to the National Enquirer for a pay day after Whitney slipped Browns gasp for last time. The end of the pay day for Leolah). Brown himself presents as affable initially, charming even - but quickly disintegrates to gross bullying, endlessly narcissistic stupid juvenile. It is apparent the tales of this mans off the rails behavior were not in anyway exaggerated. While he didn't "introduce" Whitney to partying it is apparent his conduct drove her to depths of despair we cant imagine. Check out the despicable, abusive way he treats Crawford, she stays cool and is the picture of class as she tried to slip his grasp.

Remember that despite all this Whitney kept her cool until the bitter end - she struggled to keep her love, her career. She expanded into a remarkable record setting success as a television producer. She was facing her life changing 50th birthday when she fainted at the Hilton. Her 2nd act would have been remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 1August 25, 2017 7:54 PM

Nick Broomfield's "Kurt and Courtney" was one of the worst documentaries that I've ever seen. I'll watch the WH pic but my expectations are low, low, low.

by Anonymousreply 2August 25, 2017 7:59 PM

I haven't seen Kurt and Courtney but a lot of his documentaries are very good

by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2017 8:05 PM

To DL posters - expect to see tons of negative posts about this documentary - nearly all of it comes from rabid homophobic Whitney fans. To discuss Whitney Houstons Bisexuality on any Whitney Forum is like mistakenly posting on StormFront. In here they will code the language to suit the blog. Dont be fooled by the weak civility.- they are full on bigoted haters.

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2017 8:06 PM

[quote]literally her unequalled musicality

Unequalled? In all of history?

You can give a talented performer their due without making ridiculous, over-the-top, gushing, fannish remarks like this.

by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2017 8:07 PM

This is a flawed film but worth watching if you were a fan. Mercifully, Broomfield took a cue from Amy and is neither in the film nor does he provide voice over. But it's not definitive.

by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2017 8:10 PM

[quote]Where we derive the most pleasure from witnessing Whitney's private life is from the same moments we have seen on YouTube for over a decade - it is her deep devotion to her daughter. Bobbie Kristina was EVERYthING to her mother.

Not quite.

by Anonymousreply 7August 25, 2017 8:10 PM

R5 When America's Got Talent or The Voice moves the gushing and rapture goal post beyond even a vague resemblence to a Whitney hit I will recant. But until then - you lose.

by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2017 8:11 PM

Block R7 Haters got to hate. That way all we have to contend with is the vicious Whitney homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 9August 25, 2017 8:12 PM

R9:

The last thing I am is homophobic.

You starry-eyed fans, who countenance no criticism, and slander anyone who does not share your adoration, are so tiresome.

Whitney had a great voice, but she was a mess, maybe, in part, because of her family. THEY, not me, are the homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 10August 25, 2017 8:18 PM

I DON'T HAVE CABLE TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 11August 25, 2017 8:18 PM

[quote] Whitney had a great voice, but she was a mess, maybe, in part, because of her family.

But what does one have to do with the other (outside the fact that the drugs caused Whitney to lose that great voice eventually)? Yes, she was a drug addict and the drugs finally killed her, but you can still appreciate the amazing range and beautiful voice she had without condoning the lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 12August 25, 2017 8:23 PM

Nippy say What!

by Anonymousreply 13August 25, 2017 8:26 PM

R12 unless you are referring to the Cocaine fueled 1980's & 1990's as in more families than not had young adults high as kites on weed and coke -what EXATLY do you mean "lifestyle"?

So please elaborate if you are implying something beyond the drugs that were fueling mass incarceration of African Americans across america... Like we dont want anyone thinking she was the only artist or American with a substance abuse problem. So what lifestyle issue?

by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2017 8:34 PM

Broomfield's documentary on Heidi Fleiss was quite good.

by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2017 8:35 PM

And so was his one on Wuornos

by Anonymousreply 16August 25, 2017 8:40 PM

I hope this makes that old homophobic cunt Cissy stroke out. And ruins the market for any family-approved documentary.

by Anonymousreply 17August 25, 2017 9:29 PM

[quote]So please elaborate if you are implying something beyond the drugs that were fueling mass incarceration of African Americans across america... Like we dont want anyone thinking she was the only artist or American with a substance abuse problem. So what lifestyle issue?

I see your concern, but you are latching on to a bad example to make your point.

Whitney is not like "everyone was doing it."

I can't think of another example of a singer who was as talented who so publicly lost her voice and life to drugs while America watched.

You have to go back to Billie Holliday, and she didn't fuck up her voice like Whitney. Whitney was an unlistenable mess at some concerts.

Even on Divas Live Las Vegas, she appeared high AF with Bobby Brown and could barely get a note out that was right. I watched it live and it was so fucking sad. I don't think they ever showed it again.

That was not a run of the mill "everybody spokes weed or takes. Xanax" story.

by Anonymousreply 18August 25, 2017 10:42 PM

R11 I am sorry you are so fucked out of this great documentary.

by Anonymousreply 19August 25, 2017 10:45 PM

R11, I want to watch it, too. Maybe it will get uploaded on youtube later. Or the local library will get the DVD

by Anonymousreply 20August 25, 2017 10:47 PM

R18 At least Whit and Bobby looked good in their yellow outfits.

by Anonymousreply 21August 25, 2017 10:48 PM

Amen R17. I'd like to kick that old cunt right in the crotch wearing steel-toed boots. Cissy's psychotic religiosity sent Whitney straight to the crack pipe then on to the grave, by way of the closet.

Even Bobby Brown admitted, “I really feel that if Robyn was accepted into Whitney’s life, Whitney would still be alive today."

by Anonymousreply 22August 26, 2017 1:43 AM

Anyone watching it? I'm about a half-hour in and it's good.

by Anonymousreply 23August 26, 2017 2:10 AM

This is so depressing. What a loss.

by Anonymousreply 24August 26, 2017 2:12 AM

The concert reels are magnificent. Props to Whitney for loving Crawford enough to tell Brown to stick it. Truth is she probably never wanted to let him have the control of her life the way he did when RC wasnt around. It looks like there were great moments withhim - but mostly when the camera was rolling I bet. Glad he is not interviewed.

by Anonymousreply 25August 26, 2017 2:18 AM

Anyone know who the woman is saying Robyn why are you leaving? A dancer?

by Anonymousreply 26August 26, 2017 2:20 AM

This is an amazing look into her life. I think she really loved Bobby, but also Robin who, though I never saw a picture of before, seems to be a lesbian. Such confliction. They mention a few a times of her low self esteem, even regarding her gorgeous looks when she was young. And Bobbie Kristina? That child was doomed from birth..

by Anonymousreply 27August 26, 2017 2:21 AM

She definetly loved Robyn - confirmed. She lived with her in three different locations, broke up got back together a couple times. There was talk of AIDS activists outing her in the late 80's. Most of them came to their senses and left her alone. She was good to us - it was a huge debate.

by Anonymousreply 28August 26, 2017 2:27 AM

"To DL posters - expect to see tons of negative posts about this documentary - nearly all of it comes from rabid homophobic Whitney fans. "

Nobody watched it. It is not even trending on Twitter. Too much is going on tonight for Americans on Friday August 25 to care about Whitney OR Lady Diana.

by Anonymousreply 29August 26, 2017 2:29 AM

Oops this image of the bathroom sinc is what her idiot inlaw - Browns equally shitty and mentally deranged sister did to her when Whitney fled him to go into rehab and divorce him. They were upset to see the paychecks come to an end. Just a revolting family of leeches. This part - pay attention...how she got sober and started cutting people off. Brown didnt like a it and started the drugs up again.

by Anonymousreply 30August 26, 2017 2:30 AM

Newsflash r29, some of us are interested and need 2 fucking hours that are Trump-free. Got it?

by Anonymousreply 31August 26, 2017 2:34 AM

They are exposing A LOT of stuff unknown to the general public. Like Whitney ODed on cocaine while filming Waiting to Exhale--this would be long before the public knew or suspected she had a drug problem. She was still glamorous, poised, elegant Whitney then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 26, 2017 2:35 AM

[quote]There was talk of AIDS activists outing her in the late 80's.

About 1990 she did appear on posters in NYC proclaiming her [bold]ABSOLUTELY QUEER[/bold], along with Tom Cruise, Jodie Foster, Sherman Hemsley, David Geffen, Greg Louganis, Barry Diller, Calvin Klein, and others.

Some, like Geffen and Louganis, eventually came out. Most never did.

by Anonymousreply 33August 26, 2017 2:39 AM

Robin at the end, now living with her partner Lisa and with twins. So horribly sad, I now think living in the closet was her biggest downfall.

by Anonymousreply 34August 26, 2017 2:41 AM

Pretty fair assumption R34

by Anonymousreply 35August 26, 2017 2:44 AM

R29 Marry me.

by Anonymousreply 36August 26, 2017 2:45 AM

LOL, anytime R36!

To the rest of you, I should add I am 53 next week and I LIVED through every moment of each lady's rise to stardom. I don't feel like re-living it again.

by Anonymousreply 37August 26, 2017 2:49 AM

Cissy Houston is an evil bitch. Church-loving as she may be. Her refusal to let Whitney live her life as a lesbian led to Whitney's drug abuse and death. Cissy will never admit it. But it's true. Plus, Cissy was jealous of Whitney's massive success. Cissy was well-known, but never a real "star," and it burnt her ass that Whitney went all the way.

by Anonymousreply 38August 26, 2017 2:56 AM

Love how r29 and r26 think this was a waste of time because OMG! Whitney Houston is not even trending what with Arpaio and Harvey and Gorka! See what I did there? Anyway , also love how you check this thread with all of your moral outrage.

by Anonymousreply 39August 26, 2017 2:57 AM

[quote]I LIVED through every moment of each lady's rise to stardom. I don't feel like re-living it again.

And yet here you are, trolling this thread.

by Anonymousreply 40August 26, 2017 3:00 AM

Was there any truth to that wild rumor that Whitney slapped Jodie Foster (around the time Jodie was filming "The Accused") because Jodie was hooking up with Kelly McGillis? I think Jodie Foster is great, but I always loved the image I had in my mind of Whitney ripping open a trailer door, storming in on a tryst between Jodie and Kelly, screaming "That's my woman, BITCH!" and walloping Jodie with a mean right hook.

by Anonymousreply 41August 26, 2017 3:00 AM

Whitney ruined her voice the same way Boy George did. Freebasing. This doc is heartbreaking and made me realize how much I miss her.

by Anonymousreply 42August 26, 2017 3:01 AM

R41 here. I said slapped, but I think the account was that Whitney actually punched Jodie.

by Anonymousreply 43August 26, 2017 3:01 AM

I'm shocked she Od'd on coke during waiting to exhale, I wonder if Angela Bassett knew, she could have put it in that shitty movie she directed about Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 44August 26, 2017 3:02 AM

I liked Whitney, but I never found her as amazing as others seem to. A big leather-lungs singer who never really touched the deep emotionality of the songs. Not sure I have enough interest to get all involved in this film.

by Anonymousreply 45August 26, 2017 3:05 AM

R45, I was never a big fan but I'm finding the doc very compelling.

by Anonymousreply 46August 26, 2017 3:14 AM

She was huge when she first started. And beautiful,of course. I'm shocked, but not really, that I never saw Robin until tonight. She was obviously a lesbian. No problem with that, but she was probably kept out of the press for obvious reasons having to do with Whitney's career. Sadly.

by Anonymousreply 47August 26, 2017 3:16 AM

Why is Nick Gordon not in jail?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 26, 2017 3:25 AM

Robyn was around and seen back in the day, she was not hidden. There was a documentary on Whitney in the early nineties and Robyn was all over that docu. I think you can see it on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 49August 26, 2017 3:25 AM

R48 That's not Nick, that's Bobby.

by Anonymousreply 50August 26, 2017 3:26 AM

R49,I've been around since the beginning of Whitney's career and never saw a picture of Robin. I hear what you're saying but I never saw a pic of Robin until tonight.

by Anonymousreply 51August 26, 2017 3:33 AM

Who was that old creep on that French show who said he wanted to fuck her?

by Anonymousreply 52August 26, 2017 3:43 AM

so cissy is the mother?

she was jealous of her own daughter? What a fucking cunt!

some of these people look so rough! they didn't get good makeup and the eye area is all blackish!

by Anonymousreply 53August 26, 2017 3:54 AM

To me Whitney and Bobby were definitely in love. There really was an emotional link there for him from Whitney. I also understand where Whitney's mother was coming from too. She's from a different time and she didn't want her daughter, her black daughter at that, to be seen as a lesbian. Not just because she was in the limelight. But because like most black mothers. She wanted her daughter to get married to a black man and have that beautiful black family and grow up and old together. But she's also a very religious and spiritual woman as well. So that definitely played a part in what she thought was the best direction for her daughter's life. Maybe there was something going on with Whitney and Robyn. Maybe she was bisexual. But I doubt she was a full blown lesbian. There was just to much of an emotional connection between her and Bobby for the lesbian thing to be true. You couldn't fake what Bobby and Whitney had between the two of them. Especially because people always like to point to the body guard movie and point out that they think whitney was a bad actress. I didn't!! But because of the time and was cissy grew up. I cut her slack. Because I understand. I just like when people say we can't judge baby boomer whites if they happen to be bigots and or racists because they come from the Jim Crow era and their set in their ways. It's the same thing with cissy. So I give her a break. I'm black myself and I completely understand the elders in my family who may not agree with bisexuality or being gay. They just don't get it because they come from a different time. I personally loved Whitney and Bobby together. I hope Whitney and Bobby Christina are both RIP together.

by Anonymousreply 54August 26, 2017 4:14 AM

Is r54 serious?

by Anonymousreply 55August 26, 2017 5:17 AM

Maybe after Cissy dies Robyn will write a book and tell the real story.

by Anonymousreply 56August 26, 2017 5:32 AM

Serge Gainsbourgh [r52].

by Anonymousreply 57August 26, 2017 5:37 AM

R56 Robyn should write it now and hopes it kicks Cissy into the grave, that greedy, homophobic old cunt.

by Anonymousreply 58August 26, 2017 5:45 AM

This can't be worse than that Lifetime movie.

by Anonymousreply 59August 26, 2017 5:55 AM

[quote] But what does one have to do with the other (outside the fact that the drugs caused Whitney to lose that great voice eventually)? Yes, she was a drug addict and the drugs finally killed her, but you can still appreciate the amazing range and beautiful voice she had without condoning the lifestyle.

We don't know that drug use caused her to lose her voice. That's just an assumption. Plenty of entertainers use drugs and still maintain their voices. Smoking certainly can and I imagine usually does cause some deterioration. Houston's problem seemed to be greater than that though. According Chaka Khan, Whitney had vocal chord nodules and she refused to have surgery. Chaka had the same issue, but she opted for the surgery. That sounds a little more accurate, than the drug claims. Chaka Khan is also a recovering drug addict who has maintained her voice.

[quote] Maybe after Cissy dies Robyn will write a book and tell the real story.

I'm not certain why people insist on making Cissy Houston out to be a villain. She was born in 1933 (the Silent Generation). Her ideas about sexuality are no different that most people her age. Remember when everyone said Paula Deen deserved a pass because her views and experiences were a reflection of her age and her generational demographic. Most parents of that generation were not able to embrace homosexuality in their children. Coming out of the closet in the 1980s could ruin your life. As an adult Whitney made her own choices. Good bad or indifferent, they were hers. Let that old woman rest. She lost both her daughter and granddaughter. And we know that the loss of a child for any parent is just about unbearable.

This idea that all of Whitney's demons would have ceased to exist if she felt free to be a lesbian (and live a life committed to a woman she started dating in her teens) is ridiculous. Its all a part of this rather creepy mythology that includes the evil villain Cissy, the beautiful princess Whitney, the knight in shining armor Robin, and a larger assortment of fairy tale like characters and themes. Life is not a fairy tale. People are complicated and life is complicated.

by Anonymousreply 60August 26, 2017 6:03 AM

Cissy Houston is made to be the villain because she is a villain. Also making a surprise cameo as a villain in this documentary: Katie Fucking Couric.

by Anonymousreply 61August 26, 2017 6:16 AM

I think that Whitney was most likely bi, but NO - she was not full on lesbian. Her connection with Bobby was obvious - usually to her own detriment. She had everything going for her - stunning looks (perhaps one of the most beautiful black women ever - HELL, one of the most beautiful women period), that VOICE that sounded like an angelic alien, and she became a huge success. She was an addict just like 75% of Hollywood and the music industry both; most are addicts. Her story is a sad one - but man oh man did she live a privileged life. She fucking deserved it. Everything about her was beautiful. Who can claim that title? She was unhappy and caught up in her addictions and yes that killed both her career and her poor abused body in the end. I hate those that demonize Whitney and forget about the other 8 out of ten musicians who were similar addicts but are never trash talked. Her talent and that voice will never ever be forgotten. At the very least, she was not some creeper like MJ or a fame whore with little vocal abilities like Madonna. I actually like all three stars for different reasons, but feel that Whitey gets a bad rap. I adore her and mourn her passing, but her fate was inevitable. She paved the way for every music star of any ethnicity other than Caucasian to be a top 40 smash - and drugged up or not (usually the prior), she was a class act up until the end when her bad habits ruined that angelic voice. Personally, I think of her as being one of the most talented singers of all time. She is and always will be GREATLY missed.

by Anonymousreply 62August 26, 2017 6:22 AM

R60 Christ, you're really reaching to make excuses for that old cunt. Cissy killed Whitney as surely as if she'd shot her.

Even after Whitney's death that bitch was proudly, defiantly homophobic on the Oprah Winfrey show.

[quote]Let that old woman rest.

Gladly. The sooner she's burning in the Hell she held over Whitney's head, the happier we'll all be.

by Anonymousreply 63August 26, 2017 6:23 AM

The whole gay vs bi argument is specious. Even her husband admits Robyn was the love of her life.

by Anonymousreply 64August 26, 2017 6:26 AM

What does it say about a family when Dionne Warwick is the sanest one?

by Anonymousreply 65August 26, 2017 6:27 AM

women = woman sorry

by Anonymousreply 66August 26, 2017 6:27 AM

[quote] What does it say about a family when Dionne Warwick is the sanest one?

That's interesting particularly being that we know absolutely nothing about the majority of the family. And the members that we do know about have faced the same type of problems that millions of other families face.

by Anonymousreply 67August 26, 2017 6:34 AM

And that includes your family R66.

by Anonymousreply 68August 26, 2017 6:36 AM

I used to feel sorry for her, but realistically speaking she was an adult who surrounded herself with leeches and she didn't want to kick them out because they were family. She was dumb ghetto trash, thinking 'praising the lord' made her better and smarter than everybody else. Her relationship with Ray J was just so that she could prove she could still get a young lover that could elevate her status as a 40 year old woman. She never learned and understood sound values because all she knew was 'praise the lord'.

by Anonymousreply 69August 26, 2017 6:59 AM

Hysterical to see the denial, albeit a little, that Whitney was Lesbian- clearly she was for about 11 years with Robyn. When Robyn put a dress on and makeup she was gorgeous! Love the comments about Villains in Whitney's life - Katie Couric and dont forget Diane Sawyer!

My heart goes out to Cissy for her loss I cannot imagine how she can even get up everyday. That sentiment aside - Sure Cissy was the old school but think about all the gay male singers and backup singes she knew! If she was singing in NYC there is no excuse for her to be so hateful. And by God if Oprah asks you a question - you better tell the truth cause Ms.O has done her homework and she Already KNEW the answer. In fact I bet she even asked Robyn who said I will tell no one but you - yes we were. Oprah dug in for a reason - she Was trying to give Cissy an opportunity and Cissy was cruel as ever. That Cissy spent a lifetime shitting on Robyn is unforgivable - also her endless remarks about "I made her talent?" Wow she couldnt even express profound pride - she had to pretty much say - "Fuck her. - I DID IT. " that was simply atrocious..

The remark upthread that this is a "Creepy mythology" you cant makeup words that have not been expressed use them yourself and call other people out for it. I think that is what is now called Fake News. And now we are sick to death of BS Trumpian thinking and deception. Families are complicated - obviously in this family there were genuinely bad dynamics: a brother that claims to use heroin at 10?? Cissy being so abussive to her daughter girlfriend that people notice everywhere! No i think Robyn and Whitney were the ONLY SANE ONES - no mythology required. I liked that her bodyguard said "Whitney was a person that did not want to stand out, didnt want to be noticed. Bobby was total opposite. With him he turned it into a competition." That was a good girl Whitney - that was very obvious. But it was very estate of him to say that. Overall good, riveting Documentary. Yes Whitney and Robyn should have been left in peace.

by Anonymousreply 70August 26, 2017 7:04 AM

Cissy is pure evil. I remember when she responded with 'Why should I be jealous of Whitney, I made her!' during an interview after her death. Cissy had no problems participating in some stupid TV show and writing a tell all just to make some profit from her daughter's death.

They are the worse of the worse. Absolute trash. Whitney never had a chance being born into such a hypocritical family. She herself had no morals either. I loved her singing, but as a person I am sure she was awful.

by Anonymousreply 71August 26, 2017 7:44 AM

[quote] I used to feel sorry for her, but realistically speaking she was an adult who surrounded herself with leeches and she didn't want to kick them out because they were family. She was dumb ghetto trash, thinking 'praising the lord' made her better and smarter than everybody else. Her relationship with Ray J was just so that she could prove she could still get a young lover that could elevate her status as a 40 year old woman. She never learned and understood sound values because all she knew was 'praise the lord'.

Right because she is the first and only celebrity who didn't grow up rich and who was raised in the Christian faith. The difference being that white celebrities are referred to as "dumb" "ghetto trash" because they come from more humble backgrounds. And most do come from humble backgrounds and particularly those from the "Golden Age" of Hollywood. Simply because most people in this country are not rich. Its a shame that black celebs and racial minorities in general can't be discussed here without being filtered through some sort of white supremacist lens. But I guess that is just the reality of how many of you view and interpret the world around you. White celebrities regardless of the level of dysfunction are never denigrated and maligned the way racial minorities are, particularly blacks. For example if you read through the Aaron Carter threads there's this tremendous outpouring of empathy and sympathy. Despite his families incredible level of dysfunction (which includes drug addiction, mismanagement and ultimately a lawsuit, filed by Aaron against his mom, domestic violence, and like Houston a cringe worthy reality tv series) you won't find the denigration of Carter and his entire family. Some of you are so transparent.

R69 Not many people could be trashier than you.

R70 You need to rewrite that. Its a mess. Let me know if you need some help.

R71 Im certain that you are morally superior to everyone (in your own mind),

by Anonymousreply 72August 26, 2017 7:48 AM

R72, I really like your post - spot on. Yes you can help me rewrite my post I know I can do better. My points still stand. I have it first hand except the Oprah part. We know Oprah is not going to let someone make a fool of her. She had the 911.

by Anonymousreply 73August 26, 2017 8:07 AM

[quote]For example if you read through the Aaron Carter threads there's this tremendous outpouring of empathy and sympathy.

Not from me.

by Anonymousreply 74August 26, 2017 8:28 AM

Anybody denying how 'much ghetto trash' she was forgets that both Nippy and Bobby smoked crack in front of their daughter and forgets how much their lowest was on display on the Bobby Brown show.

Whitney wasn't sophisticated, she wasn't smart.

by Anonymousreply 75August 26, 2017 9:12 AM

I get so emotional, baby.

Everytime I think of Whitney.

Ain't it shockin' what...

What bulldaggin' can do!

by Anonymousreply 76August 26, 2017 10:14 AM

I never really cared for her music until the I'M YOUR BABY TONIGHT album.

I also really loved her final album. Great cuts on it with Nothin' But LOve and the Akon duet, Like I Never Left.

The first two albums were crap, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 77August 26, 2017 10:25 AM

Bobby had swag!

Whitney had dookie bubbles!

by Anonymousreply 78August 26, 2017 10:29 AM

How is Katie Couric a villan, too?

by Anonymousreply 79August 26, 2017 11:42 AM

[quote]White celebrities regardless of the level of dysfunction are never denigrated and maligned the way racial minorities are, particularly blacks.

Please. Bieber, Miley and Aaron Carter are frequently called ignorant white trash on DL.

by Anonymousreply 80August 26, 2017 12:56 PM

Cissy was surrounded by gays while working in New York. She worked side by side with her niece, Dee Dee, and with Estelle Brown in the Sweet Inspirations. Van McCoy, Rudy Lewis, Clyde McPhatter. She no doubt saw the price of self loathing. Sad that she didn't use that milieu to grow as a person.

by Anonymousreply 81August 26, 2017 3:14 PM

I watched the first half last night, which had lots of pre-fame photos of Whitney as a teenager.

Total sporty-butch lesbian. Once she got into the Clive Davis machine they softened up her look a lot.

by Anonymousreply 82August 26, 2017 5:06 PM

True, r82. If you look at photos of Whitney before Clive Davis gave her a makeover, she was really dykey. Robyn was an obvious lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 83August 26, 2017 7:14 PM

[quote]Remember when everyone said Paula Deen deserved a pass because her views and experiences were a reflection of her age and her generational demographic.

No, I don't remember anything of the kind. I remember a lynch mob calling for her head. No matter that it was 30 years ago, Paula had once uttered the word "nigger"and deserved to lose everything. And she did.

The difference between the two is Paula sobbed in public more than once, apoligizing for what she'd said, and begging for forgiveness. Cissy, by contrast, remained - as one poster aptly desctibed her - "proudly, defiantly homophobic." Unapologetically bigoted, even when speaking about her dead daughter.

So I have a suggestion: Instead of trolling a gay site, take your collection of Cissy Houston gospel CDs and stick them up your ass - the perfect place to store shit!

by Anonymousreply 84August 26, 2017 8:18 PM

Do I have to throw out her disco CDs?

by Anonymousreply 85August 26, 2017 8:35 PM

^^ apologizing

R85 Stick that up your floppy gash. There's plenty of room.

by Anonymousreply 86August 26, 2017 9:34 PM

I agree R81, big closet queen Luther Vandross continuously hired Cissy. She liked the money it gave her but she never grew as a person. I absolutely loathe Cissy Houston.

by Anonymousreply 87August 26, 2017 9:40 PM

I have to say I am totally floored that Cissy remains such a bigot to this day. While I have enormous compassion And understanding her, I shudder at her minions working their poison endlessly into the conversation about Whitney.

The family approved biopic will dictate the progressive worlds attitude to Whitney's mother. If she erases or degrades Crawfords pivotal role Or continues to deny their love - all bets are off. Crawford may stay mum, but LGBT people have seen enough of this shit to last a lifetime - Especially in this day of Cheeto/Pence bans and bigotry - true forward thinking Christians are STANDING UP FOR ALL PEOPLE. Frankly Cissy wants a world of compassion for her kids, most of us generously feel her sorrow - she needs to walk the 2 way street.

by Anonymousreply 88August 26, 2017 9:45 PM

It was obvious that the beginning of the end was when Robyn Crawford left in '99, because she couldn't take it anymore. After that, Whitney went completely off the rails, did drugs non-stop, and the next 13 years were just incredibly sad.

by Anonymousreply 89August 27, 2017 12:07 AM

I wonder if Madge watched the docudrama. Probably too busy.

by Anonymousreply 90August 27, 2017 12:31 AM

I've never had much of an emotional connection to Whitney, but this documentary was moving. Her music's not for me, but I see the appeal. She was special.

I think it's possible that Robyn and Whitney were lovers, or Robyn was in love with Whitney, and Whitney felt safe and loved without there being a sexual component. No one knows but Robyn. I hope Robyn's happy.

by Anonymousreply 91August 27, 2017 2:13 AM

Really interesting documentary.

I was surprised that Whitney had been doing drugs years before meeting Bobby Brown. He started drugs because of her and she started drinking because of him.

Also it's pretty clear from the doc that she's a ghetto girl through and through. She was pretending to be a classy chick for the media

by Anonymousreply 92August 27, 2017 4:24 AM

R92 Whitney was a very successful model, the first African American to grace the cover of Seventeen Mag and others. She performed in some of NYC's best clubs. She was very very confident and professional for a young woman. She was that classy chick - why couldnt she dress down and chill without being racist about it?

by Anonymousreply 93August 27, 2017 4:49 AM

Forgot how pretty she was and ugly Bobby Brown is. She was homely as a kid singing in church, but was beautiful early in her career. I loved it when she didn't yell/sing: I preferred her vocals in Shoop, I Will Always Love You and My Love is Your Love more than her earlier songs like The Greatest Love of All. Anyway, something fell flat for me in this documentary. I wanted to see more of her drunk and high. Also, wanted to see more of her with Robin. No hugs or kisses at all?! There was a lot of talk about substance abuse and her love affair with Robin, but not enough visuals to make it feel real. Tons of her and ugly Bobby though.

by Anonymousreply 94August 27, 2017 4:59 AM

[quote]I wonder if Madge watched the docudrama. Probably too busy.

Does it matter? Do you think Mariah watched? Janet? Belinda Carlisle? Debbie Gibson?

Her godmother Aretha???

by Anonymousreply 95August 27, 2017 5:13 AM

Finished watching tonight.

I'm glad Robyn now has a partner and a family. She came off as the most level-headed, sympathetic person in the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 96August 27, 2017 5:25 AM

I'm in the biz. I attended the AMA's years ago. Just as the show was to start, Whitney and Bobby came stumbling in and collapsed into their seats. They were a mess.

by Anonymousreply 97August 27, 2017 5:38 AM

R97, did you by chance overhear them discussing dookie bubbles?

by Anonymousreply 98August 27, 2017 6:22 AM

Isn't Whitney's brother Michael a druggie too?

by Anonymousreply 99August 27, 2017 7:00 AM

I'd watch it if it were called, "Whitney Houston: I Gotta Be Me!"

by Anonymousreply 100August 27, 2017 7:02 AM

I am sure Cissy is a drunken mess. Fonzi Thornton, Luther Vandross' BF hired her for the gig with Aretha at Letterman and she can't even remember her lines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 27, 2017 7:04 AM

Where is Dionne with all this shit going down?

by Anonymousreply 102August 27, 2017 7:08 AM

I may get slammed for saying this but I came away with the feeling that Whitney was a real bitch

by Anonymousreply 103August 27, 2017 7:17 AM

R103, no one will slam you - but she was not a mean person at all. Just troubled.

by Anonymousreply 104August 27, 2017 8:10 AM

With the exception of Robyn and a couple of others, the family of Houston and Brown's came out looking really Awful in this. My heart goes out to Bobbi Kristina. History was repeating itself.

by Anonymousreply 105August 27, 2017 9:29 AM

[quote]I was surprised that Whitney had been doing drugs years before meeting Bobby Brown. He started drugs because of her and she started drinking because of him.

Whitney had been a recreational drug user throughout the 80s (who in the music business wasn't in the 80s?) but she'd managed to keep it under control. Once she hooked up with Bobby, her drug use escalated and by the mid-90s she was a full-blown addict.

by Anonymousreply 106August 27, 2017 11:24 AM

I should add that before Bobby, Whitney's drug use was limited to snorting coke. Not that snorting coke is a good thing, but it's a world away from freebasing, which is what Bobby introduced her too, and what was her downfall. Once you start smoking that shit, it's all over for you.

by Anonymousreply 107August 27, 2017 11:28 AM

I thought that it was her older brother Gary who got her hooked?

by Anonymousreply 108August 27, 2017 12:50 PM

Is Robyn interviewed in the doc? Or does she just appear via archival footage and tge recollections of others?

by Anonymousreply 109August 27, 2017 2:47 PM

It's just archival footage. Robyn has never given an interview, as far as I know. I wrote upthread that maybe she's waiting for Cissy to die, and then she'll talk.

by Anonymousreply 110August 27, 2017 3:24 PM

[quote]Where is Dionne with all this shit going down?

I don't believe that Whitney and Dionne really saw that much of each other.

by Anonymousreply 111August 27, 2017 3:46 PM

Whenever you saw Whitney and Dionne photographed together, it was always at some awards show or Industry event. I don't think they hung out together much in their private lives. It's possible that Dionne wasn't aware of how bad Whitney's problem was.

by Anonymousreply 112August 27, 2017 4:10 PM

R 94 Sure because gay and Bisexual celebrities always want to kiss and caress same sex lovers in public, esp in front of cameras. In 1980's,90's thru2013 wouldnt affect the male or female fan base at all! The stupid is astounding with folks like you - including people that knew her and use this line.

by Anonymousreply 113August 27, 2017 6:07 PM

[quote]Robyn has never given an interview, as far as I know. I wrote upthread that maybe she's waiting for Cissy to die, and then she'll talk.

I think she should write a tell all now while Cissy is still alive.

I remember when Whitney's career started and some people in the press said that her mother was very dominating.

Clive Davis' influence and his straight washing of her image should also be discussed. As a homosexual himself he should have helped Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 114August 27, 2017 7:44 PM

I think Whitney really didn't want the career, at least not as big as it became. She didn't want to be a movie star, yet after the Bodyguard's unexpected success, that's what her family and Clive wanted. I think she was just a down home girl who liked to drink and smoke weed. She was expected to continue to achieve and the pressure was just to much; she used coke to try to cope and became a hard core addict.

by Anonymousreply 115August 27, 2017 8:51 PM

I thought there would be way more Scissoring Scenes- I was really disappointed & felt it was very dishonest and inauthentic!

by Anonymousreply 116August 28, 2017 12:34 AM

This article goes a very long way to explaining why Cissy and her gang of church haters continually demean Robyn by accusing her of everything from being her "drug dealer to her assistant." Bottom line Cissy may have picked some of her music staff, supervised Clive - but it was Robyn Crawford that shared the dreams and strategized with Houston from the time they were teens together. Also there is no one more invisible in the African American community than Lesbians - DL men are always welcome in the choir after all! Cissy Houston, no matter her pain and heart wrenching loss is a disgrace for continuing to not acknowledge Crawford's critical role in her daughters legacy. Apparently that drives Cissy's unrelenting hatred for her more than anything. IT's only 2017 people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 28, 2017 12:52 AM

R116 I mean did you ever see them kiss?? Show me the photos! What is really immoral is the people that bearded for her, set her up with men Vicariously gossip about having done that and then suddenly suffer amnesia when the topic comes up.

by Anonymousreply 118August 28, 2017 1:02 AM

Cissy supervised Clive?!

by Anonymousreply 119August 28, 2017 1:06 AM

R119 Cissy, her father, lawyers reviewed Clive's contracts.

by Anonymousreply 120August 28, 2017 3:11 AM

Cousin Dionne has released a statement:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 28, 2017 3:43 AM

Here's a clip from the Oprah interview. Cissy in all her homophobic glory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 28, 2017 3:52 AM

she was just a hood junkie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123August 28, 2017 4:09 AM

[quote]“I had a bad feeling about that child from the first time I saw her,” she writes. “There was something about the way [Robyn] carried herself, a kind of arrogance, that I didn’t like [….] As I would later learn, she was also gay [.…] I felt like Robyn could influence Nippy [….] I didn’t want her to lead my daughter to places that I didn’t think were good for her.”

Whatta cunt!

by Anonymousreply 124August 28, 2017 4:13 AM

Seems to me unbeknownst to Mama her brothers had that square checked already. Crawford if anything kept her daughter away from the trouble until the tours started. Also elsewhere i believe it was noted that her mother controlled who she was permitted to be around.

Didn't the bodyguard say that Whitney just didnt want to stand out and was very low key until Brown? I think one of her oldest friends said that Cissy wanted to blame every single thing that happened to her daughter on Crawford- Ironic isnt it?

Meanwhile just block the racist at R123. Probably a Garland/Streisand/Grande fan.

by Anonymousreply 125August 28, 2017 4:21 AM

Whatever the case, Whitney flew off the rails after Bobby entered her world. Once Crawford left her life for good, she lost it. The crazed addiction just exploded. For years, she still looked like a million bucks and could still sing - but eventually she just lost it. Crawford was seemingly a very positive force in her life; Bobby was not. I certainly do not know enough to blame Bobby - but the timeline can not be denied.

by Anonymousreply 126August 28, 2017 4:29 AM

Whitney admitted she was a junkie in a 2004 interview with Sister2Sister magazine.

by Anonymousreply 127August 28, 2017 4:37 AM

Whose bright idea was it for Whitney to marry Bobby? I haven't watched this yet and I don't know if Robyn could've prevented Whitneys decline. But it seems that Whitney would've been better off with Robyn in her life. Why did Robyn leave her life for good?

by Anonymousreply 128August 28, 2017 4:42 AM

Robyn left because she got tired of seeing Whitney doped up; there was nothing for Robyn to do but save herself, which she did.

by Anonymousreply 129August 28, 2017 4:44 AM

2004 might have been one of her periods of sobriety. Anyone familiar with the complexities of recovery would say that admitting you have a problem is a good first step. Be real, it isnt going to happen with just one or 4 rehab stints, Five would be more realistic.

Also very few people understand that only a relative can seek legal remedy and demand someone "go to rehab." You simply cannot "make her go to rehab" unless you have a court order as a parent or immediate family member. So anyone that slams Crawford for that is simply stupid of the law.

by Anonymousreply 130August 28, 2017 4:47 AM

r127, I wanna see the receipts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131August 28, 2017 4:48 AM

You can't forever blame the mother for the downfall of the child. Whitney Houston was a grown woman, at a certain age you are responsible for your own mistakes. Yes Cissy is a cunt, yes the family is full of leeches and hypocrites. But if you are dumb as a door nail, as Whitney was, you will dig your own grave with trashy lovers, bad friends and too much drugs, pills and booze.

Good on Robyn she quit when it was still time. She could have been dragged into the whole drug circus too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 28, 2017 4:56 AM

R128 Did you miss the part where Brown constantly put her down and damaged Whitney's self esteem? I mean she had that with her mother all of her life that was pretty apparent from Cissy's comments alone, not to mention her producers and friends that make that point pretty clear. Robyn was the only one building her up - while they were tearing her down.

Brown was bipolar untreated and a fucking nightmare - please review the "These are my niglettes" part with Crawford and I think that was Whitney's Agent. That is him in a GOOD mood. Can you imagine being around that BS all the time? He like Cissy wanted total control over "their girl" and Whitney clearly knew that she absolutely didnt want that option - so she and Crawford remained inseparable. Seems that he whored around in front of her on the tour, embarrassing the hell out of her, until she finally made Robyn leave.

WTF with this idiot Brown? Bad enough Cissy was a vicious homophobe that hated Robyn for holding her daughters hand up to SuperStardom. But bullying man child Brown?

by Anonymousreply 133August 28, 2017 4:56 AM

R132 is the "Whitney was dumb" racist troll. Perennially needy for attention.

by Anonymousreply 134August 28, 2017 4:59 AM

You think you are smart for getting involved with the guy who's only claim to fame was making a sex video with Kim Kartrashian?

by Anonymousreply 135August 28, 2017 5:08 AM

Ray j was her drug connection in LA. I don't believe for a second he was her boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 136August 28, 2017 5:13 AM

Bobby Brown was a total nightmare, and he wasn't even attractive. WTF did Whitney see in him? His constant belittling of her was his way of trying to control her - lots of men in fucked-up relationships do this to their women.

by Anonymousreply 137August 28, 2017 5:14 AM

What Whitney should have done was keep her mother at arm's length - Cissy was WAY too involved in her daughter's life. That guy (forget his name) in the documentary said that Cissy was jealous of Whitney because she had the big career that Cissy never had. I'm sure there was a lot more to it than that, but that was a big reason.

by Anonymousreply 138August 28, 2017 5:19 AM

Jeezus the stupid... RayJ was a cute hot in the moment Boy Toy she felt she needed on her arm to be relevant. He was nothing to her. Show me a female celebrity that hasnt flirted with that common calamity.

by Anonymousreply 139August 28, 2017 5:22 AM

Cissy AND Bobby both were jealous as Hell of her success. And they were the two closest individuals in her life. Recipe for disaster. Jealous or not, they certainly loved spending Whitney's money however.

by Anonymousreply 140August 28, 2017 5:24 AM

R 128 Both Whitney & Crawford appear to be pretty smart. It was apparent that unless she somehow went back into rehab and distanced herself from both of her brothers it was going to be tough. Crawford could have gotten her in - with Brown out of the picture. (According to that personal counselor she was ready and 3 mos sober when he got her high again.) IF Houston had a few mos w/out Brown under way she could have then slammed her brothers with demands. Crawford would have been the ready and willing Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 141August 28, 2017 5:29 AM

R140 Amen and pass the collection plate. Crawford was her sanctuary. And abused by both of Whitney's tormentors.

by Anonymousreply 142August 28, 2017 5:30 AM

I thought Whitney would improve after the divorce but she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 143August 28, 2017 5:33 AM

She did, went to rehab, sobered up and tried to get her voice back. Gary pushed her into touring according to her voice coach - coach specifically told everyone that she wasnt ready. Clive also said he didnt want her touring either. Money. Was the issue.

by Anonymousreply 144August 28, 2017 5:53 AM

How does Katie Couric come off bad in the documentary?

by Anonymousreply 145August 28, 2017 6:08 AM

Oprah did an excellent job in that interview of letting Cissy hang herself. She oh so carefully brought up the lesbian rumors and said if that was the case would it bother you. (this was after the death mind you) Cissy could have easily brushed it off or said I don't know BUT no, she came right back with a bitchy sounding Yes, it would bother her. Her tone was like of course it would bother me if my darling Whitney was that awful thing.

I didn't know she overdosed on Waiting to Exhale but I had heard she was a complete mess on The Preacher's Wife the next year and Penny Marshall and Denzel had to do all they could just to get her to stand up and say her lines. (I guess that was kind of the end of her film career.)

by Anonymousreply 146August 28, 2017 6:12 AM

That "I made her" comment was even crueler than when she said it would bother her if she was a lesbian. Cissy had an enormous voice, but contrary to Whitney she had no idea what to do with a song or a melody. Listening to Cissy Houston sing is as if she desperately tries to prove to you she has vocal prowess, but not like she is serving the song. She is a bit like Patti LaBelle in that regard, they both butcher every song with excessive hollering.

by Anonymousreply 147August 28, 2017 6:24 AM

Whitney could just sing effortlessly well in her prime. There is a youtube tape of a SNL rehersal where she is singing "I'm Your Baby tonight" and is clearly taking it easy while they fix technical stuff but she sounds flawless.

by Anonymousreply 148August 28, 2017 6:28 AM

What was the "I made her comment" ?

I didn't see the doc or able to read this whole thread. TIA

by Anonymousreply 149August 28, 2017 6:29 AM

Such a shame about Whitney's film career - she was really very good in Waiting to Exhale. I had no idea that she was so fucked up during that filming. Not to mention, she looked fucking incredible. I remember thinking that she was going to be huge (she was already a music industry phenomenon) as a legit movie star. And then.......chirp, chirp, chirp... Nothing ever happened. It all makes sense now, but I was certainly confused at the time.

Oh, and Cissy was never a Whitney. Never was, never could be. Whitney is up there with the top 3 or 4 singers of all time. Cissy was lucky to even get a paying gig. They could never be uttered in the same sentence.

by Anonymousreply 150August 28, 2017 6:31 AM

Whitney,Bobby and Robyn(although a bit of a control freak) came off very well while Cissy needs a house to fall on top of her.

by Anonymousreply 151August 28, 2017 6:36 AM

I don't understand what Katie C did that was so bad.

by Anonymousreply 152August 28, 2017 6:37 AM

call me r152 I'll explain.

by Anonymousreply 153August 28, 2017 6:45 AM

R144 Pat wanted her cut as Whitney's manager, so of course she had to tour. Who cares that her voice wouldn't hold up, Pat certainly didn't.

by Anonymousreply 154August 28, 2017 6:47 AM

Who is Gary?

by Anonymousreply 155August 28, 2017 7:13 AM

I never knew what a good hearted person Whitney was until I saw this movie the moment when Booby is telling her their daughter is getting a chin ( I don't get it. We all have chins) and then Whitney starts crying and says she worries about Bobbi because she would have it hard being a star's child. Like she knew how some of you bitches would say mean things about her looks.

by Anonymousreply 156August 28, 2017 7:22 AM

And yet she never even bothered getting that child's teeth fixed. She and Bobby were probably too busy smoking crack and getting drunk.

by Anonymousreply 157August 28, 2017 8:04 AM

Really enjoyed this doc in a sad sort of way...

I've told this story before, but years ago (1997-2000) I worked at a five star hotel in Santa Monica. The month before the Grammies (can't remember which year), Whitney and Bobby checked in. They had two different suites. He was the most annoying guest ever. He and his crew were loud, drunk, horrible. She never left her suite (or barely did) and would only order, via room service, spoons and baking soda. Total junkie. But by all accounts, according to the room service guys, a sweetheart. They stayed for weeks, which we all thought was odd. Not sure what that meant.

by Anonymousreply 158August 28, 2017 8:44 AM

I had Robyn and Whitney multiple times in F/C on my flights between ATL and EWR in the very early nineties. There was no question they were lovers---they showed quite a bit of affection towards each other(remember, this was way before camera hones, and even A list celebs used to drop their guards on flights in those days.)

I was so glad to hear someone finally read that horrid Leolah Brown for the rat trash she is/was. I can't tell you how many black females have her back. It is crystal clear to me that she was a money grubbing trouble maker from the start, and she continued her antics all the way through to the end of BK. I also flew Bobby Brown sans Whitney a couple of times. He is very charming and not as coarse or unintelligent as some here seem to think. Of course that is when he is on his best behavior. He has a delightful sense of fun, and like all bad boys, he could easily charm the pants off you if you're not careful. I am in no way giving him an okay for all his awful behavior and his habits. I just think that my first hand insight MIGHT help just a touch to explain how in the blue hell they ended up married.

by Anonymousreply 159August 28, 2017 10:06 AM

Cissy was lucky to get a paying gig as a singer?! Let's not get crazy now.

by Anonymousreply 160August 28, 2017 1:04 PM

I actually didn't care for this documentary. It didn't tell me anything I didn't know about Whitney already. And I didn't like how they inserted reaction shots from different performances and contexts. I found it a bit tabloid-ish especially when they used the National Enquirer pics of Whitney's supposed drug den.

I was surprised to learn about the OD on the Waiting to Exhale set. Why not interview Angela Bassett or Forest Whitaker or Loretta Devine?

I know Robyn Crawford won't speak about Whitney or be interviewed, but it would be the Holy Grail to get her to talk about Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 161August 28, 2017 1:48 PM

Maybe Robyn is holding out to tell her story in a book ($$$). Why give out all the info for free?

by Anonymousreply 162August 28, 2017 2:02 PM

I don't get the sense that Robyn would do that. She loved Whitney and she still seems to be protecting her even though Whitney is gone. She is not a viper like the Houstons are. I think Robyn would have written a tell-all by now.

The Houstons are utter trash, Cissy included.

by Anonymousreply 163August 28, 2017 2:07 PM

Bobby and his family/friends were such parasites, the doc made it clear how Whitney was supporting so many people who were just using her. This is such a common theme among big stars, going back forever. Why do the stars allow it to happen? I just can't imagine having people in my life leeching off of me like that, it would be like "GTFO of my life, right now!" I don't know, I just can't understand why so many celebrities allow themselves to be taken advantage of like that.

by Anonymousreply 164August 28, 2017 2:10 PM

R157 Brown was so insecure in the face of her talent, wealth and career th one thing he had going for him was that their daughter was indisputably his with that issue. Whitney probably would have fixed her daughters smile, her own teeth early on were beautiful. His manhood would have been insulted and I expect his verbal abuse would have been awful.

by Anonymousreply 165August 28, 2017 2:17 PM

IF Crawford does anything it wont be while Cissy is alive. She spent her life with Cissy's jealous boot heel on her neck. She doesnt have to write a book either. A simple, well thought out, bookend to her statement issued when Whitney passed is all it has to be. Her tribute to Whitney was heartbreaking and the most lovingly eloquent tribute Whitney received.

Her silence speaks volumes of love, but speaking truth to bogtry also sets her Lover Free from the sneers of an equally cruel and mocking world, brutality of a segment of society that doesnt believe the pain of the closet is real and that Lesbian Women of color should be simply destroyed..

As a mother herself, Robyn surely understands that she would never force a child into a miserable marriage for her own self esteem.

by Anonymousreply 166August 28, 2017 2:29 PM

The lesbian rumors were out there long before Bobby Brown. Whitney having no personal life, no dating men, had a lot to do with it. The Randall Cunningham dates were exposed by his gf as being a set-up, and don't go near that "dating" Eddie Murphy bullshit.

"Whitney didnt need bullet bras" - no she had breast implants

I don't know what planet you're on, R18, Billie Holliday's voice was destroyed beyond recognition by drugs and cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 167August 28, 2017 2:58 PM

Cissy is from the old school, and believes that people can "turn gay." Her bitterness and resentment of Robyn Crawford comes from this. Robyn "turned" Whitney gay. If it hadn't been for Robyn, Whitney would've been 100% straight, as far as Cissy is concerned.

As crazy as that sounds, a LOT of older people still believe this bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 168August 28, 2017 3:07 PM

Hey R168 A lot of old people believe that?

I invite you to visit Diary of a Hollywood Street king and click on ANY thread which contains gay subject matter. 100% of those posting there, male and female do not believe anyone is born gay.

by Anonymousreply 169August 28, 2017 3:40 PM

Anything I've read on Cissy during her days with Sweet Inspiration shows her to be a bullying control freak. She seldom let the other singers decide anything and could even get a bit threatening if she thought one of them was getting out of line. She sounds like a nasty hag...

by Anonymousreply 170August 28, 2017 4:03 PM

Interesting, because without exception it seems that Whitney's colleagues from her tours, lifelong friends are the first to tell you that she was incredibly generous, always helpful, loving even, a consummate professional that went beyond remembering birthdays and such. Her philanthropy to political issues always impressed them too.

LGBT issues? Well that was half her band, many of whom she apparently hired from her church. She didnt need to be outed by NYC activists - she was doing the work. She was also extremely supportive of trans issues in her personal life.

by Anonymousreply 171August 28, 2017 4:39 PM

It is probable that to get Robyn to leave, Whitney's people paid her off. Part of the deal would have been a promise never to write a tell-all book or give an interview on Whitney

by Anonymousreply 172August 28, 2017 6:01 PM

There are ways to do this. She certainly can make a statement like her eulogy. There are many people that can be called upon to renounce their own implicit bigotry in the matter also. The complicit "straights" own their part in this woman's suffering.

by Anonymousreply 173August 28, 2017 6:26 PM

How long were Whitney and Robyn a couple? The Oprah interview really showed how awful the Houstons were.

by Anonymousreply 174August 29, 2017 1:10 AM

They say how much she LOVED Bobbie Kristina, but also said she didn't see her for MONTHS at a time and TRIED to talk to her 3 times a week on the phone. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 175August 29, 2017 2:01 AM

[quote]I had Robyn and Whitney multiple times in F/C on my flights between ATL and EWR in the very early nineties. There was no question they were lovers---they showed quite a bit of affection towards each other(remember, this was way before camera hones, and even A list celebs used to drop their guards on flights in those days.)

Interesting, r159. Thanks for sharing some real gossip.

Whitney and Robyn also used to go to Catch One, which was the big black gay/lesbian dance club in L.A. in the 1980s and 1990s. As you said, it was well before camera phones, and Catch One was hardly a place where paparazzi would hang out.

by Anonymousreply 176August 29, 2017 2:12 AM

[quote]Ray j was her drug connection in LA. I don't believe for a second he was her boyfriend.

I doubt she needed anybody to score drugs, besides officially he was her boyfriend. That clearly means she had no problem being associated with a trashy nobody who slept with Kim Kardashian for a cheap PR stunt. You can't get any lower than that.

She was so incredibly dumb! Robyn really dodged a bullet.

by Anonymousreply 177August 29, 2017 2:34 AM

I don't think Whitney and Ray were an item. How did she go months without seeing Bobbi?

by Anonymousreply 178August 29, 2017 2:59 AM

Whitney had her daughter enrolled in school, I expect that is why she wasnt always on the tour. Besides she already had one child to supervise, that would have been the guy she was arrived to that was sleeping with all the dancers in a bid to get rid of Robyn. She wouldnt bring her child around hi for that I am sure.

by Anonymousreply 179August 29, 2017 4:01 AM

* the guy she was married to that was sleeping with all the dancers

by Anonymousreply 180August 29, 2017 4:02 AM

R179 Why wouldn't she bring her child around that? She had no problem bringing her child around drug use of all kinds, and if you believe the chauffeur, her and Bobby were smoking crack in the limo with Krissy sitting right there.

by Anonymousreply 181August 29, 2017 4:15 AM

You can see in the documentary that even as a very young girl Bobbi Kristina loathed her father. She cringed wen e touched her and turned her head and wiped her face after he kissed her. Poor kid probably witnessed so much abuse.

by Anonymousreply 182August 29, 2017 5:11 AM

Whitney being gay stories started really early. I think her career began in 1985 or so and by 1987 there were stories that she was in a love triangle with Kelly McGillis and Jodie Foster. (that sounded sort of hard to believe at the time but since McGillis and Foster are now out, it seems possible.)

by Anonymousreply 183August 29, 2017 5:18 AM

I definitely remember the marketing powers that be at the time soon after her first huge album trying to link her romantically to Michael Jackson (now THAT was funny) and Eddie Murphy and likely others. I doubt that she would have been so hassled for being single had she not been so stunningly gorgeous for one (looking like she did and being single was an enigma in those days of Madonna having a different boy toy each week) and certainly enough people from her pre-fame days who knew the dish about her and Crawford. I still do not know if she was gay or bi, but we all know that she most certainly was not straight.

by Anonymousreply 184August 29, 2017 6:22 AM

At 52 Whitney should be producing, mentoring up and coming singers, occasional stints on "The Voice' with a very attractive wife or GF On her arm. Still on the quiet/private side. Probably Robyn, a couple of kids.

The real reason Cissy is so hard over on hating Robyn via her minions, she is obscuring the power that Houston and Crawford had together - the perfect match that with Clive's sponsorship & machine, with Cissy's lifetime of vocal instruction and strong staff @Nippy. Inc they scaled Global Success. Win or lose it comes down to yr intimate partner's ability to nurture the artist and provide emotional support. She was on top with Crawford - and tanked when the jealous loser came on board.

by Anonymousreply 185August 29, 2017 3:55 PM

Damn I can't get Showtime.

by Anonymousreply 186August 29, 2017 4:07 PM

You're welcome, r186.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187August 29, 2017 4:18 PM

Bless you r187...you're precious! 🤗

by Anonymousreply 188August 29, 2017 4:20 PM

r188 choose the Openload link, you'll get a couple of popups but it loads fast.

by Anonymousreply 189August 29, 2017 4:22 PM

Patti Howard must have forgotten about Diana Ross being at the top of the pop charts.

by Anonymousreply 190August 29, 2017 4:49 PM

Whitney's brothers were also mooches and freeloaders. Did they even have jobs?

by Anonymousreply 191August 29, 2017 5:20 PM

And Donna Summer as well, r190.

by Anonymousreply 192August 29, 2017 5:21 PM

I made her, I taught her everything she knew. I am the reason she became a worldwide sensation.

by Anonymousreply 193August 29, 2017 5:24 PM

How miserable and bitter Cissy must be right now...her final years won't be kind to her. It HAS to occur to her that she played a role in her daughter's death. Her attitude certainly helped her down the path of destruction. Bobbi Kristina too.

by Anonymousreply 194August 29, 2017 5:27 PM

While Donna Summer and Diana Ross were stars, they didn't command the world audiences like Whitney did

by Anonymousreply 195August 29, 2017 6:23 PM

Diana did have the worldwide success and was even nominated for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 196August 29, 2017 6:24 PM

R194 I think this might be incorrect re BK - she was trying to do the right thing for the young woman. I recall watching "On my own" the Houston family disaster - and Cissy clearly stated that guy had to go/tossed out after Whitney passed. Not giving him a small paycheck and sending him on his way.. That wasnt her fault, but it could also be blamed on Bobby who just didnt fight enough to show his love for his daughter for the few years she had left.

by Anonymousreply 197August 29, 2017 6:25 PM

I didn't find Whitney to be appealing in this documentary at all. Her voice sounded bad in the late nineties. She had talent but wasted it.

by Anonymousreply 198August 29, 2017 7:31 PM

R187 Thank you, you are a peach for this.

by Anonymousreply 199August 29, 2017 7:35 PM

Waiting to Exhale was one of the most eagerly anticipated films, a big hit at the box office. A sequel was awaiting Whitney's approval.

by Anonymousreply 200August 29, 2017 11:06 PM

I can't see the older chunky Whitney being in the sequel to WTE.

by Anonymousreply 201August 29, 2017 11:18 PM

r201 post your photo, fat whore.

by Anonymousreply 202August 29, 2017 11:51 PM

More like Waiting to Eat.

by Anonymousreply 203August 30, 2017 12:52 AM

The documentary really illustrated what a total fucking loser Bobby Brown was. It's a shame that out of all the men Whitney could've been with, she had to choose that useless idiot. The concert footage of Bobby taking the stage (at one of Whitney's concerts) and "singing" was just embarrassing to watch. And then you had people talking about how he was always putting Whitney down (out of jealousy and a need to control) and just being an asshole to everybody. Cissy apparently never voiced any objections, I guess she felt that as long as Whitney was with a man - any man - it was better than being with a woman.

by Anonymousreply 204August 30, 2017 12:58 AM

Cissy didn't want her with Bobby either.

by Anonymousreply 205August 30, 2017 1:07 AM

Shame on Cissy. Shame.

by Anonymousreply 206August 30, 2017 1:10 AM

R195 Donna Summer was big all over the world. She was selling out huge venues from Brazil to Italy to Japan well after her US fame was waning.

Today on The Talk, their even-fatter version of Sherri Shepherd (Cheryl?) was going on about how Cissy Houston and Shirley Somebody were so sensible they could bring world peace or whatever. Such a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 207August 30, 2017 1:31 AM

R207 Cissy and Shirley Caesar? Shirley has always been rumored to be gay herself.

by Anonymousreply 208August 30, 2017 2:11 AM

Whitney with uber cunt Kim Burrell.

Barf!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209August 30, 2017 2:51 AM

R102 She was too busy smoking weed to care.

by Anonymousreply 210August 30, 2017 2:58 AM

Bobbi, Dionne, Cissy with Kim Burell

Hypocritical assholes, they know the industry wouldn't support them if gay guys weren't so much into the black divas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211August 30, 2017 3:00 AM

I think someone up thread said this, but Bobby is embarrassingly bad "singing" on her 99 tour. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 212August 30, 2017 3:05 AM

She probably was constantly high days before she died. She even visited Kim Burrell's church in Houston in February and looked completely smashed and out of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213August 30, 2017 3:10 AM

"Whitney will never be fat."

by Anonymousreply 214August 30, 2017 3:38 AM

r213 Whitney looks high AF in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 215August 30, 2017 3:38 AM

[quote] Anything I've read on Cissy during her days with Sweet Inspiration shows her to be a bullying control freak. She seldom let the other singers decide anything and could even get a bit threatening if she thought one of them was getting out of line. She sounds like a nasty hag...

Cissy had a difficult life. She lost her parents at an early age and was raised by her older sister, Lee, mother of Dionne Warwick. She built her livelihood, and her reputation, by being a superlative session vocalist. She supported a whole household for decades until Whitney's ascendance in the 80s. No one among us has perfect parents. They can only give what they have. Cissy only knew how to provide and protect. She did not know how to love and support her children unconditionally.

by Anonymousreply 216August 30, 2017 4:15 AM

Pet peeve: Maybe one of you fussy queens have already noted this but we're currently in EDT not EST. You bitches do this all the time when carrying on endlessly how verklempt you are when a Joan Crawford film is being screened on TMC. If you're gonna carry on and alert the gay masses as to when a major cultural event is to occur, get the fucking time right. Just use ET ( or CT, MT, PT) if it's too hard for your simple mind to figure out. Christ Almighty- is it rocket science???

by Anonymousreply 217August 30, 2017 4:18 AM

Dionne and Dee Dee (Whitney Mk I). Dee Dee always credited Cissy as a mentor when it came to Dee Dee's recording career. God knows what support, or lack thereof, Cissy gave to Dee Dee re her sexuality. I believe Dee Dee was on heroin at one point and her singing voice was mostly shot by the 80s, if her two albums of the period are representative. I believe she also moved to Atlanta and that she lived with a girlfriend. She lived til 62.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218August 30, 2017 4:21 AM

Her sweet personality when she started was an act, as soon as she became successful she let her bitch flag fly

by Anonymousreply 219August 30, 2017 4:30 AM

She was always sweet, she just just had an enormous amount of pressure placed on her from multiple avenues. What a hard life her last 20 years must have been. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 220August 30, 2017 4:38 AM

R213 She looks like she's on heroin in this pic.

by Anonymousreply 221August 30, 2017 5:21 AM

R216 That point has been made many times in other threads. There are many adults that had hard lives as kids but they also can heal thru their own children. Cissy undoubtedly had huge pressure on her as the bread winner - working mother. So she doubled down in the spare the rod spoil the child dept - quite proudly. Prob the bigger her daughter got the more fearful she would become an embarrassment over her GF.

There were quite a few scenes edited from the Tribecca Festival one was LaVar saying it was crazy to see Cissy walking through the house yelling "Homosexuals homosexuals homosexuals when you have 3 houses with kids that are addicts! I mean Lady get your priorities clear."

by Anonymousreply 222August 30, 2017 5:25 AM

R213 perennial Whitney hater you cant tell the diff between weed and smack? But unlikely she was on either ifthis was right after a service in the church hallway.

by Anonymousreply 223August 30, 2017 5:27 AM

I never said she was on heroin R223, judging by her squinty eyes she most likely just smoked pot.

by Anonymousreply 224August 30, 2017 8:41 AM

Heroin definitely doesn't look like that.

Or any opiates for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 225August 30, 2017 1:41 PM

[quote] Whitney and Robyn also used to go to Catch One, which was the big black gay/lesbian dance club in L.A. in the 1980s and 1990s. As you said, it was well before camera phones, and Catch One was hardly a place where paparazzi would hang out.

I saw Robyn at Catch One several times. I never saw Whitney there and never heard that she was there.

by Anonymousreply 226August 30, 2017 4:43 PM

[quote] While Donna Summer and Diana Ross were stars, they didn't command the world audiences like Whitney did

I think Whitney sold more copies of her debut album worldwide that Ross and Summer's entire 70s catalogues. They were successful but Whitney's commercial success was record-breaking.

by Anonymousreply 227August 30, 2017 4:54 PM

The Merv Griffin Whitney debut was on tv this week, probably to coincide with the release of the documentary. Whitney performed solo for the first song, but mama Cissy managed to horn in on the second number.

After reading a little about her background at R216, I have a more sympathy for Cissy. Still, in the Oprah interview, regardless of her negative words, her facial expressions and attitude alone reflect an Eve Plumb-level of bitterness.

I do wonder how comfortable Oprah felt about delving into Whitney's sexuality, considering Oprah's own experience with speculations about her sexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228August 30, 2017 9:59 PM

It is not Cissy's fault. Cissy is no more homophobic than my own mother. Cissy did not think that pop superstardom and flagrant lesbionics could co-exist. The black church/gospel world has always been full of closeted homosexuals. Cissy knew them all. Cissy's fanbase was mostly gay. Cissy was friendly with many gays in showbusiness.

The suggestion that Whitney is dead because she could not be her true self is misguided. Openly gay people struggle too (i.e. George Michael). Cissy was not the perfect mother but she is not the reason Whitney followed a path of self-destruction.

by Anonymousreply 229August 30, 2017 10:46 PM

R229, of course she was part of the self-destruction. Judgmental parents have been an issue for a huge percentage of us....period. Whitney clearly had addiction issues but her anxieties added to them no doubt. It would be ridiculous to think otherwise. Let's say that she was not even bi and was a Kinsey 0 - Cissy still drove her crazy and was a very overbearing, controlling stage mother who demanded a Hell of a lot out of Whitney for decades. That stress manifests as anxiety which in turn fuels addiction issues. Easy equation.

by Anonymousreply 230August 30, 2017 10:54 PM

I don't think Cissy's homophobia was the only reason for Whitney's downfall. It was more like that the whole family was full of hypocrites and leeches and simpletons. Black churches don't support reasonable thinking and sophistication. Whitney grew up in an environment that doesn't support you being a clear eyed and discerning person. Her drug addiction and not being able to get off drugs had a lot to do with how she relied on only her faith. She was an incredibly dumb person in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 231August 30, 2017 11:09 PM

R230, Whitney could have left disapproving mom behind -- just as she did in her latter years as her addiction escalated. All of us gay folk have to separate ourselves from disapproving family. Easier for me than Whitney, I understand. I agree that her mother undermined her self-esteem. The commentary in this thread suggests that Cissy's disapproval of her sexuality was Whitney's principal issue, it was not.

by Anonymousreply 232August 30, 2017 11:10 PM

R232, I agree with your reasoning now that you expounded further.

by Anonymousreply 233August 30, 2017 11:16 PM

R232 Whitney believed in praying away the gay. How did that work any better for her, than say Mike Pence as he unleashes his suppressed self on the poor gay suffering?? She loved Robyn and the security she had with her, IT was gone after that. I believe Crawford, she wanted a child, that is far more a biological imperative than marrying Brown. She suffered a decade of press harassment for Robyn, but for a child she mad the ultimate compromise.

by Anonymousreply 234August 31, 2017 1:07 AM

Too bad Whitney was not a good mother, she was stoned most of the time and her child was put with Gary and Pat. And when she was with Whitney and Bobby she Krissy saw the drugs and the chaos. No wonder she only lived three years past her mother.

by Anonymousreply 235August 31, 2017 1:16 AM

[quote]Whitney believed in praying away the gay. How did that work any better for her, than say Mike Pence as he unleashes his suppressed self on the poor gay suffering.

Who is defending Mike Pence here?

by Anonymousreply 236August 31, 2017 1:17 AM

R232, I'm aware of nothing in her documented history that would suggest Whitney was a "pray the gay away"-type. She had no 'inner' conflict, and did not feel her soul was in jeopardy. She felt her image was in jeopardy. She did not want to disappoint family, friends and fans by being a lesbian (or bisexual). She flatly denied being lesbian and never identified as lesbian. All while Robyn was up in her cooch. I believe she lived as she wanted to live and she didn't want to live as lesbian or bisexual. She professed to be religious but she didn't waste any time praying the gay away when it could be better spent getting high.

by Anonymousreply 237August 31, 2017 2:25 AM

And all of those 15/20 years of being high she still sang like an angel and looked like a million bucks. God love her, she made it work until she just could no longer hold it together and then surrendered to the drugs and the leach individuals that she dealt with day in and day out. I remember as a child thinking that she was sweating a huge amount singing at all those award shows and public events. I did not know what that meant at the time, but damn did she NAIL IT every time - for years. Her voice and beauty was a gift from the heavens - none (well not the general public) of us even knew what Hell she was living - and yes, much of it was self-induced. I give her props for holding it together as long as she did. Much like Micheal, she was a consummate professional until she just waved the white flag and gave up. He had many of the same issues and demons. After that, her facade had been tarnished (with her "family" and friends and fans) and she no longer cared to expend the massive amounts of energy it took to maintain it any longer. Her looks and her voice plummeted and wasted. She gave up and gave in to the addiction in a way that she had never allowed before.

by Anonymousreply 238August 31, 2017 2:43 AM

And I do realize that Clive forced her to keep it together as well.... I am just saying that at some point when enough dirty laundry had been aired, she said fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 239August 31, 2017 2:45 AM

R222 Why would Cissy be running through the house yelling homosexual? It doesn't make sense. I would like to see the edited out parts.

by Anonymousreply 240August 31, 2017 3:06 AM

r240 I can

NEGROES IN THE HOUSE! NEGROES IN THE HOUSE!

by Anonymousreply 241August 31, 2017 3:19 AM

R234 Gay behind closed doors, I agree she didnt give 2 fucks but was ground down by Mom's antagonism. The urge to pray away addiction is what turned deadly. I do think she was getting it together for the ultimate rehab though.

by Anonymousreply 242August 31, 2017 4:31 AM

R222 the speaker was being fascitious with her expression. "Her mom was like Homosexuals, Homosexuals, Homosexuals!" If one thing went wrong it was Robyn',s fault a door, anything - it was ridiculous. I was like HEY! YOU have 3 kids in houses that are all addicts! Lady like, get your priorities in order!"

Another edit was the remark by her Record Company guy, starts kind of salaciously "Whitney was a Lesbian, yeah." And then he went on to The piece that aired.

The talk of this is ridiculous and stupid - what is heartbreaking is that her parents made her miserable over it - and sadly for the most part her fans would have crucified her for it. Also that it removed all senblence of safety and security from her life that Robyn gave her. That is just horrible and ultimately what killed her - being in his full time care. Surrounded by all greedy graspers when she was most broken and hurting.

by Anonymousreply 243August 31, 2017 4:40 AM

Whitney idolized and loved her mother but Cissy was disapproving and ultimately not supportive of Whitney.

The fact that Cissy wrote a book not long after Whitney's death just proves that Cissy wasjust another freeloader and exploited Whitney.

Cissy may not have caused Whitney's death or demise but she played her part. She is culpable.

by Anonymousreply 244August 31, 2017 3:31 PM

R224 - Yes, I agree with all you wrote except the part about Cissy exploiting Whitney. Cissy wrote a book to control the narrative and to salvage Whitney's reputation. She is a proud woman and did not want her family to be further shamed. There was money involved but that was not a motivation. The estate has done very little to exploit Whitney's brand and catalog since her death. There is significantly more money to be made off Whitney but no one is doing anything. That restraint is due to Cissy -- Whitney's sole heir and beneficiary of her estate.

by Anonymousreply 245August 31, 2017 5:51 PM

She's a homophobic bitch and I'll be really sad if Dionne goes first.

by Anonymousreply 246August 31, 2017 5:57 PM

Did Cissy know Clive was gay? So is every male stylist who worked on Whitney?

Plus the gays kept Whitney's career going.

by Anonymousreply 247August 31, 2017 6:02 PM

R245 Cissy wrote the book because she needed the money. Krissy was Whitney's sole heir, and the money Whitney had been giving to Cissy stopped after Whitney died. She was pretty harsh about her daughter in that book, called her a heifer and that she could be mean, and once again took credit for every talent her daughter had. She didn't know Krissy would die 3 years after Whitney and that money then would never be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 248August 31, 2017 6:20 PM

Who gets all the money, now that both Whitney and Bobbi are dead?

by Anonymousreply 249August 31, 2017 10:10 PM

Cissy extensively worked for Luther Vandross as a backup singer, he absolutely loved her voice and was best friends with her and Dionne. I am sure everybody knew Luther was gay. When the money was good Cissy could always suppress the homophobia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250August 31, 2017 10:17 PM

R249 The money goes to Cissy and Whitney's two brothers Michael and Gary.

by Anonymousreply 251August 31, 2017 11:05 PM

Cissy's own fans on the cabaret circuit were mostly gay. Her homophobia was selective. She loved her gay fans but didn't want her daughter to be a lesbian. Every gay man has a Cissy Houston in his life -- either an unaccepting parent OR an accepting friend who would go apeshit if her own child were gay.

by Anonymousreply 252September 1, 2017 6:04 AM

After Whitney died, there was a hits compilation that was released and then a cheap live compilation with a DVD that looked like YouTube rips. No reissues or deluxe sets of her albums (which fans want). It is a little strange that so little has been done with Whitney's catalogue in five years.

1987's Whitney could have been reissued for its 30th anniversary.

by Anonymousreply 253September 1, 2017 3:22 PM

Clock strikes upon the hour, and the sun begins to fade

Still enough time to figure out how to pray the gay away...

by Anonymousreply 254September 1, 2017 3:47 PM

So Cissy and Thelma Houston weren't related at all?

by Anonymousreply 255September 2, 2017 2:00 AM

No relation, r255.

by Anonymousreply 256September 2, 2017 2:34 AM

is this available free online?

by Anonymousreply 257September 2, 2017 2:35 AM

R187 Has a link to this documentary.

by Anonymousreply 258September 2, 2017 4:44 AM

Didn't Pat Houston try to send a Whitney hologram on tour?

by Anonymousreply 259September 3, 2017 5:41 AM

On the heels (vs Grifters heals) of Michael Jackson hologram, yes, she did. After a simple tryout it was yanked. Currently there is a Grammy exhibit of Whitney's slated to open in the East Coast Grammy Hall of Fame @ NJ Performing Arts Center.

by Anonymousreply 260September 3, 2017 4:28 PM

The Whitney Houston Grammy exhibit here in L.A. was lovely but modest. Hopefully they can make a grander effort in her home state.

by Anonymousreply 261September 3, 2017 7:23 PM

Agreed R 261

by Anonymousreply 262September 4, 2017 5:10 AM

I wonder if Hollywood and the world at large would have been kinder to Bobbi Kris had she looked like her mother and not her father.

by Anonymousreply 263September 5, 2017 12:16 AM

I remember hearing the Whitney-is-a-lesbian rumors way back in 1987. I didn't believe it back then. But I definitely believe it now.

by Anonymousreply 264September 5, 2017 3:57 AM

Whitney was even asked about it on TV. That was not common. It still isn't.

by Anonymousreply 265September 5, 2017 4:09 AM

If Bobbi Kris had looked like Whitney, EVERYTHING would have been different.

Hell, if BK had looked like Cissy, it would have been different. She literally got the worst gees in the world. His entire family is unattractive and nuts.

by Anonymousreply 266September 5, 2017 4:25 PM

Did Whitney nail any female celebs?

by Anonymousreply 267September 5, 2017 5:04 PM

Whitney is fascinating but this documentary is really shitty. Nick B remains a hack. How does he get funding for this garbage?

by Anonymousreply 268September 5, 2017 8:22 PM

r267 there were rumors that back in the 80s Whitney and Jodie Foster got together on the DL, but god only knows if that really happened.

by Anonymousreply 269September 5, 2017 9:22 PM

I thought it was Kelly McGillis and that Whitney stormed into one of their trailers to confront woman-stealing Jodie?

by Anonymousreply 270September 5, 2017 10:58 PM

R265, she was asked about it all the time. It only stopped when BK was born. After that, I think it was only brought up 3 times - the Out interview about Pride and the Wendy Williams fight. Diane Sawyer mentioned the rumors briefly in her interview and MADtv had some fun with them, but all in all it was pretty amazing how quickly all the speculation just went away.

R269, it didn't. There was nothing to suggest Whitney had even met Jodie or Kelly. Interestingly (kinda), Robyn's wife was once Jodie's publicist or something. Small world.

by Anonymousreply 271September 6, 2017 12:45 AM

I think interest in Whitney's love life would have been greater had she paraded boyfriends around or made a big deal about being man crazy. Unlike Madonna and even Mariah, sex wasn't really what Whitney was selling.

by Anonymousreply 272September 6, 2017 12:52 AM

Now that I think of it, I can't remember Whitney ever dating a man (at least publicly) until Bobby Brown, and she was close to 30 by then.

by Anonymousreply 273September 6, 2017 12:58 AM

She was dating Eddie Murphy which Murphy denied after her death, because Whitney was so tainted by then.

by Anonymousreply 274September 6, 2017 1:05 AM

R274 No the NY papers had Murphy in the news for multiple arrests soliciting transsexual sex workers. Definitely not Eddie.

by Anonymousreply 275September 6, 2017 2:18 AM

R268 Face it, the doc isnt at all the problem - for you it is that Robyn is treated with the respect, support and the pivotal role she played in her life As "Whitney's Girl." To several people in here Whitney was a friend, to others she did business with. Her place in Whitney's life, childhood friend and lover of 9-11 years is recognized.

DL is an LGBT website and most NYkers are well aware of their life together. No one is going to put up with Crawford bashing.

by Anonymousreply 276September 6, 2017 2:23 AM

The fact that Whitney was SOOOOOOOO beautiful yet never had a dating life up until Bobby started the rumor mill rather early on. In the 80's, being gorgeous and also single was unheard of. Her lack of sexual attraction for the opposite sex was seen as alarming and strange. Again, Madonna ruled the world and could talk of nothing BUT her sexual attraction to men. Whitney was a model and stunning - no one could get their head around her being single for so long. Clive and his PR team did his best, but yes the question always lingered in the public's mind. She was beloved yet always questioned due to her lack of interest in men.

by Anonymousreply 277September 6, 2017 2:30 AM

R268, you have me mistaken for someone else. It's a shitty doc because it bounces around from sources that were clearly chosen to support Nick's preconceived conclusions.

I wonder who it is on this thread that you're mad at...

by Anonymousreply 278September 6, 2017 2:33 AM

R278 is in response to R276

by Anonymousreply 279September 6, 2017 2:34 AM

I remember that there were 3 friends of hers that specifically talked about their relationship in the film. One man from Arista actually said yes, she was in a relationship, there was a woman and then another former employee. Why is this so shameful that anybody would want to start fighting about it? Sheesh has nothing changed? I saw the first show I remember the man specifically saying "yes she was a lesbian."

It is sad that anyone would treat this as something Whitney should have been ashamed of, and idiots start fights denying anyone's sexuality like it is a crime or something. No wonder there is so much hate in here for Cissy. If anyone is a Whitney Fan and Lover of her music they have surely witnessed the Robyn hate on LSA. Its like Jeff Sessions time over there.

by Anonymousreply 280September 6, 2017 2:58 AM

Yes. That fan who has the pic/gif of Whitney in a turban from the Bodyguard (Run to You video, I think) is particularly loathsome.

However, Whitney played into the bullshit. The doc had an excerpt - I think it was the Katie Couric interview - where Whitney mentioned that people think Robyn is a lesbian because of her frame etc., implying Robyn wasn't a lesbian. Bullshit.

Whoever advised to Whitney to keep addressing it was a fool. It wasn't like she was ambushed time and time again on live television. They could have insisted XYZ not mention the rumors.

by Anonymousreply 281September 6, 2017 3:08 AM

There are a few people I know of that do discuss bearding for Whitney - which by any definition is one of the saddest goddamn things ever. They are also some of the loudest Robyn critics, and bashers of gay people since forever. Remarkable when you know they are at least former? Members of the LGBT community and Or have gay relatives themselves that were part of the circus.

The biggest liars actually are the ones trading on their closeness to the family. Total crypt keepers. When you are a colossal enabler of Whitney's self Loathing it is really best to whisper about it in the shadows, fling shit on anyone that makes a movie, or wants to have a humane sensitive discussion of how this all impacted her remarkable like and talent.

Anyone, anytime that acts like even mentioning the two names together as a happy couple is a crime against humanity - deserves to die in that Hell they love so much. Gay haters and self loathing gender benders all - exploiting threads like this. Unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 282September 6, 2017 3:38 AM

That's why I hope Robyn leaves a memoir behind - a posthumous release, I wouldn't care.

by Anonymousreply 283September 6, 2017 3:43 AM

From the archive footage in the documentary, Robyn was an obvious lesbian. No question about it. It's weird that people still deny that she and Whitney were in a relationship for years, it was very clear that they were lovers. Bobby hated Robyn and the feeling was mutual.

If it hadn't been for Bobby, Whitney might still be alive today. Such a sad story.

by Anonymousreply 284September 6, 2017 3:47 AM

Robyn is a saint. And she has been tight lipped about the truth - what a lovely friend. She LOVED and STILL LOVES Whitney. I do too. That woman is one of my favorite singers and while I never had the opportunity to actually meet her, I was at the hotel the day/night that she passed. I honestly had know clue that she was there until the huge insanity took over the joint. It was a sad day for the world, but it was not much of a surprise to be honest. Sad but true. What a gorgeous woman; what a gorgeous voice. She followed the James Dean, Marilyn Monroe route. She just passed after her looks and voice had failed. 10 years prior she would have become iconic, but her bad press and addictions ruined her rep in the same way that MJ ruined his. But she WAS GORGEOUS and she WAS THE VOICE. No one can best her.. EVER.

by Anonymousreply 285September 6, 2017 3:54 AM

But why did Robyn stay until the turn of the millenium? I know gay men and lesbians are a different breed but even so...

by Anonymousreply 286September 6, 2017 4:03 AM

Chaka could best her on I'm Every Woman. Chaka actually sings the bridge live.

by Anonymousreply 287September 6, 2017 4:05 AM

Whitney sang the bridge once, when she recorded it. After that she lipped it.

by Anonymousreply 288September 6, 2017 4:08 AM

The home video footage made Whitney seem pretty childlike, even a little immature. It did seem like she never had the space to mature into womanhood. What she was taught was all about appearances. It reminded me of that Carrie Fisher quote, something along the lines of "we're a family built for show".

The quote from her in that stiff wig (sidenote: Whitney's 90s wigs often were very middle aged looking. It was bizarre) about not liking the person you've become. I wonder what she meant by that. I think people oversell the whole "White-ney" thing - not her hurt at the Soul Train awards but the idea that her music was almost offensive to black people etc. pre I'm Your Baby Tonight. So what didn't she like? It's easy to say she meant sexuality but I don't think she'd allude to that in an interview. Was it the "selling out" perception?

by Anonymousreply 289September 6, 2017 4:14 AM

Yes, but can someone be called The Voice if they can't sing one of their own songs fully, even in their prime?

by Anonymousreply 290September 6, 2017 4:15 AM

Let us just say that there exists or existed a handful of women who in their prime were the best of the best singers on earth. Whitney is not only one of them, but also arguably the best of the bunch. I don't believe in silly contests when discussing the greats (Rothko verses Picasso) - so let us agree that she is equal to that handful of 4 or 5 and give them all their due...

by Anonymousreply 291September 6, 2017 4:16 AM

R290, you obviously were in a comma for15 years. Whitney NAILED every song at every event.. What rock were were you living under? She only lapsed toward the end.

by Anonymousreply 292September 6, 2017 4:18 AM

Never singing the bridge to I'm Every Woman live IS a major thing. I think it shows that Whitney's prime began to falter as early as the first half of the 90s. Chaka was probably doing the same shit but for some reason the notes seem to have always been there.

by Anonymousreply 293September 6, 2017 4:22 AM

Was Ellin Lavar responsible for those awful wigs she wore in the 90's? They were hideous.

by Anonymousreply 294September 6, 2017 4:25 AM

The Houston and Crawford story speaks to the power of black female love (intimate or platonic) and the heights such unions can scale. In the absence of meddling family and pop music industry forces, my bet is that Nippy and Crawford would still be steadfast compatriots.

As for Houston, her final album (I Look to You) features “Like I Never Left,” a haunting song for which she claimed a writing credit. In part, the lyrics read: Did you ever wish that you could take back something that you did in your past/ If it wasn’t for me I know what we had was definitely gonna last. I admit that we say some things we don’t mean when we’re mad/ But I’ve realized that I’ve been foolish, I never should have turned my back. Cuz it’s a cold world when you’re out there all alone/ So many times that I wanted to just pick up the phone/And tell you ooh baby, baby I miss your lovin’ so/I ain’t holdin’ back no more, your girl is comin’ home. (And I want you to love me) Like I never left.

My heart goes out to Bobby Brown as he copes with the catastrophe that has befallen his daughter. But part of me is hard pressed to believe that he was the inspiration for Houston’s swan song.

by Anonymousreply 295September 6, 2017 4:43 AM

[quote] She was dating Eddie Murphy which Murphy denied after her death, because Whitney was so tainted by then.

After her death Jermaine Jackson confirmed that they had a romantic relationship while he was producing her debut album, and he was married at the time.

by Anonymousreply 296September 6, 2017 4:47 AM

It has been stated thousands of times: "Before Auto-Tune, there was Whitney Houston"... It is a fact that still holds true today.

by Anonymousreply 297September 6, 2017 4:48 AM

How do you know Jackson is lying? They're talking into a microphone.

by Anonymousreply 298September 6, 2017 4:48 AM

Hyperbole. Whitney did not invent singing in tune. And there were singers with wider ranges.

by Anonymousreply 299September 6, 2017 4:50 AM

Yet she was always considered the best. And her sales and global appeal backed up that fact. I grant that there were many great female singers, but Whitney really ruled the world for a decade or so. Well, Madonna actually did, but Whitney's voice was far superior and she was seen by most as "the voice".

by Anonymousreply 300September 6, 2017 4:53 AM

Sales don't back up shit about vocal talent. You mentioned Madonna, who's never even learned a solid technique to be called "a professional singer". Paula Abdul had massive success for a time as well. She might be the nadir of that time.

by Anonymousreply 301September 6, 2017 4:59 AM

Oh JABBA/Janbot (R301) showed up to tear down an actual icon. Check the Guinness World Records to school this fool. SOOO pathetic. Madonna is top sales, Whitney is top awarded. It's the truth JABBA - look it up you fat bitch - it doesnt take more than 45 seconds. Eat another bag of Doritos..

by Anonymousreply 302September 6, 2017 5:24 AM

R294 clearly must not mean this iconic breathtaking image of Whitney.

R296 Because always belive PR generated magazine stories over close, trusted friends of hers that are highly regarded professionals in Their fields. After all SHE selected them to work for her now didnt she? And they remained friends throughout her life. Seems to me that Whitney was pretty clear bout the priority Robyn had in her life when it came to Narada, LaVar, Howard, Arista press producer - she was demanding respect, recognition and mention be made.

Clearly she kept things tight with her GF during 9 years of marriage too - that shows remarkable love for Robyn and determination that she remain with Whitney in an exclusive "power couple." For 9 years Brown wanted to be that one - she wasnt giving it to him. Clearly the only way Brown could sever that tie was by publically embarassing Whitney during a tour. Whitney gave in despite it being extremely obvious that Robyn was popular & trusted by all and he was merely tolerated.

The question is, why did it take 9 years in a hellish marriage - more than half duration - to breakup with her most trusted love? It is as if she instinctually knew nothing waited for her in a life without Robyn. She was right. The shear desperation of that guy could hardly have taken a lower road. Brown's destruction of Whitney's character ramped up the minute she left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303September 6, 2017 3:06 PM

R 294 Shooting the messenger is last resort of the desperate.

by Anonymousreply 304September 6, 2017 3:19 PM

It was interesting (and now I understand, very smart) that Chaka Khan would always sing I'm Every Woman whenever she appeared on TV during the height of Whitney's version.

This way, she kept reminding people it was her song. and not Whitney's.

by Anonymousreply 305September 6, 2017 3:29 PM

[quote]Paula Abdul had massive success for a time as well. She might be the nadir of that time.

I agree. Paula Abdul was just atrocious. I couldn't believe such a shit "singer" with such shit songs was so popular, however brief it was.

by Anonymousreply 306September 6, 2017 3:34 PM

Ain't Nobody cares about Chaka Khan. No Showtime biopics, etc. LOL

by Anonymousreply 307September 6, 2017 3:35 PM

Chaka Khan has always been so underrated. Her music, especially her music with Rufus, is sublime.

It's not coincidence that Whitney's downward spiral kicked into high gear as soon as Robin left. Robyn went her own way in 2000. A year later was the infamous Michael Jackson concert with an emaciated Whitney, looking totally cracked-out. A year after that was the infamous Diane Sawyer "crack is whack" interview. That whole decade was not about Whitney as a great artist, but as a drug addict. What the documentary didn't go into was that when Whitney was at her nadir in the 2000s and living in Atlanta, she would visit crackhouses in the worst neighborhoods. One of the most famous women in the world, sitting in a downtown Atlanta crackhouse with all the street people. That's not a rumor, it's fact.

Whitney just seemed to give up after Robyn finally left, and Bobby and his scumbag family of leeches really took over after that.

by Anonymousreply 308September 6, 2017 3:41 PM

Whitney should have had Bobbi Kris taken from her while she was frequenting crack houses. How pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 309September 6, 2017 6:24 PM

It was a big deal when the unedited images of Whitney at the Jackson thing were published. VH1 blurred her chest for the TV broadcast but still pictures clearly showed that she was emaciated. The doc showed the edited VH1 footage only.

It was also a very big deal when her hyped HBO concert was canceled at the last minute. HBO was out a lot of money and her reputation took a big hit. This wasn't covered at all in the doc.

by Anonymousreply 310September 6, 2017 6:34 PM

R310 - both very true. I love Whitney more than anyone, but her downward spiral was so evident by then to everyone and their 75 yoa mother. The Michael Jackson tribute was the beginning of the end. Whitney was always a very thin, beautiful women - yet at that event, she looked like a horrifying corpse and if memory serves - acted like a complete jaw-grinding crack addict. It was painful for her fans to see and even more alarming for those who had not been following close enough to have watched the subtle signs that occurred maybe even ten years prior - only to see this scary, skeletal train-wreck on stage for the world to judge. Her PR should have cancelled that appearance. It was horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 311September 7, 2017 3:52 AM

Very Bizarre the way the Whitney Haters seem to forget that she produced both a film and album post MJ appearance. Bottom line is her last album debued at #1 Top of the Charts. The film she produced "Sparkle" actually had favorable reviews and had That accident not occurred, would have resulted in a very very decent profitable run with her PR attached to it.

Whitney was deeply deeply loved and extremely popular no matter how she is dragged by other jealous, yet mediocre pop stars.

by Anonymousreply 312September 9, 2017 5:30 PM

Well, no one loves Whitney more than I do (I have been a rabid fan of hers for decades). That appearance just was not good for her image however and I think that it was the first time that the public began to take notice. Whitney was and is beloved - do not get me wrong. I think that her fans were just worried for her; that is understandable. She confused many because the image that she so painstakingly portrayed was a facade and not what she was actually living. She looking like a million bucks in that Diane Sawyer interview which occurred after the MJ performance. Like any addict, I am sure that she had her ups and downs. I truly do not believe that there are many Whitney haters out there - she posthumously remains one of the very best (argued to be THE BEST by many) vocal talents of all time.

by Anonymousreply 313September 9, 2017 10:05 PM

R312, what the hell are you talking about? Real Whitney haters don't give a fuck about her condition. Those who were genuine fans or at least recognized her exceptional talent talk about her appearance at the MJ tribute out of legit concern/sadness for how bad her drug abuse became. The woman was a serious addict and that is a tragedy only surpassed by her death. Of course she was successful in many ventures--we wouldn't be talking about her if she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 314September 9, 2017 11:06 PM

R313 You think she looked like a million bucks in that Diane Sawyer interview? She looked terrible, you need new glasses.

by Anonymousreply 315September 10, 2017 12:27 AM

Whitney looked strung out AF in that Diane Sawyer interview.

by Anonymousreply 316September 10, 2017 1:27 AM

She looked good in the interview compared with how she looked at the MJ tribute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317September 10, 2017 1:29 AM

MJ tribute:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318September 10, 2017 1:30 AM

R315 - to me, she looks like a fucking supermodel in the Diane Sawyer interview. And I do not wear glasses nor need contacts. I have 20/20 vision. Yes, at other times - she looked like Hell. Personally, I thought that she appeared at least to be the gorgeous Whitney that we all loved. In her prime, no one looked better or sang more like an angel. She was one in a million and will always be a legend. No one can ever take that away from her.

R314 - AMEN and thank you for your candid thoughts that echo my own exactly. We ALL loved her - addict or not. But we also had the right to be concerned. And no other woman can sing like Whitney. Her talent and music (not to mention well-documented beauty) will always live on....

by Anonymousreply 319September 10, 2017 5:47 AM

Totally agree R317.

by Anonymousreply 320September 10, 2017 5:49 AM

I think the makers wanted to make a film about Robyn and Whitney but they couldn't seal the deal by getting Robyn to talk so they had to surround it with other stuff, but it's obvious the film is about Robyn and Whitney's relationship. Getting an interview with her would be the Holy Grail, but I have to respect Robyn for not talking. Maybe it's part of a deal that was made. Part of me thinks Robyn wouldn't talk regardless but I don't know if she would have accepted hush money.

I am intrigued, though, as to why Robyn left. Even the film cannot answer that question.

by Anonymousreply 321September 13, 2017 4:47 PM

In the pic at R318 you can clearly see the blur effect on her chest added by the photographer to conceal her protruding ribs so that she wouldn't look scary skinny.

by Anonymousreply 322September 13, 2017 4:59 PM

[quote]She followed the James Dean, Marilyn Monroe route. She just passed after her looks and voice had failed.

You don't know much about James Dean, do you?

by Anonymousreply 323September 13, 2017 5:12 PM

r321 it's believed that Robyn left in 2000 because she could not longer deal with a) Whitney's escalating drug use b) Bobby, who Robyn always despised, and his family of leeches and c) Cissy and her blatant homophobia.

Robyn had to walk away to preserve her sanity and get on with her life. It's a very sad story. And we all know that Whitney hit rock bottom and stayed there for the rest of her life, right after Robyn left.

by Anonymousreply 324September 13, 2017 9:10 PM

Does anyone know what Robyn does for a living theee days?

by Anonymousreply 325September 13, 2017 9:18 PM

i just watched. Wow, this doc really has the dirt on the whole situation. I wonder if the Houstons tried to stop the release. They, along with the Browns, come across are pure trash. Even Wihtney's dad, whom she idolized, turns out as a big POS at the end.

by Anonymousreply 326September 13, 2017 9:36 PM

R325 She is a mother.

by Anonymousreply 327September 13, 2017 10:00 PM

Robyn just spoke in this film.

This program about Kevyn Aucoin, makeup artist, will be on LOGO TV (gay television for the straight lurkers) Thrs night. Robyn asserts her relationship with Whitney "He met Whitney and I ...(meaning our lives)". She goes on to say "he was like part of OUR FAMILY..." The gays together, our families of choice, how we talk. Intimacy, funny gay stuff we do with only our closest friends.

This Robyn interview is very very recent and she makes clear her intimate concerns of her GF emotional state and the caution Robyn surrounds her with make clear her priorities were with Whitney feeling safe. Interesting that is what Narada had to say about Whitney is that to get the best sound he made it easy feeling or set the mood lighting and she responded well as an artist.

"My name is not Susan" Recorded '89 "I'm Your baby Tonight" released as a single & video 1991.

I have always thought that Crawford should maintain her loyalty to Whitney - but I feel that given the unrelenting hate and bigotry of some in the black community - all reinforced by the shit of the GOP/Churches and Trump she must speak now. She wont write a book, nor should she. A simple statement like her Eulogy - even shorter - is perfect. There is no longer a threat of betrayal - but there is a lesson to be learned about compassion and love for one another. Certainly once she comes from the shadows - the reckoning of reality may even give the hater Cissy cover to loosen her stance to one of tolerance and love before she passes over.

It really is that simple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328September 14, 2017 2:39 AM

Better link to the Kevyn Aucoin program. It is really nice to see Robyn find a presence in media, face it she was partner to the most iconic singer in modern history. They were an amazing power couple and deserve to recognized as such.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329September 14, 2017 2:48 AM

Robyn's departure from the tour in 2000 seemed abrupt. I do wonder if there was a specific thing that caused her to walk away. Just watching Bobby was exhausting. It's a shame that Whitney married him.

by Anonymousreply 330September 14, 2017 3:22 AM

It sure looked like Brown was humiliating Whitney with dancers in the doc - plus factor in so many people reported he was constantly enabling her deepening dependency while Robyn was fighting that front too. She looked exhausted and still performed so intensely, i guess he Ratcheted up the fights and tension. Whitney prob couldnt take it any more - and Robyn was being kind.

by Anonymousreply 331September 14, 2017 3:27 AM

R326 Her dad was apparently a good guy but his health failed (he was an ass about Robyn except when it fit his needs I think). Her contract came up for renewal with her Album company. An acquaintance of hers that had also become a drug dealer and offered to quiet the rumors on the streets about her and Bobby. This guy went to her father, reported "what he had done to help."

Her dads health deteriorated in that period, the contract signed her as the highest paid singer of all time - 100Million worth. This moron convinces her Dad that Whitney couldnt have done it without them - and they should receive a big cut. Her Dad was hospitalized delirious and in pain Probably slowly fading and this ridiculous suit was filed by that criminal stooge. It was nothing and simply designed to humiliate or extort money by this third party. Whitney was upset for sure - who wouldnt be?

by Anonymousreply 332September 14, 2017 3:48 AM

i think you're explaining away the father's role in that shakedown much too readily.

by Anonymousreply 333September 14, 2017 3:54 AM

'Why would you want to continue to hurt me?' Dionne Warwick SNAPS at Susanna Reid for asking her about her late cousin Whitney Houston... leaving GMB presenter speechless

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334September 14, 2017 4:51 PM

Just saw this recently, very sad but also very frustrating to watch. Whitney looked for love and friendship in all the wrong places. I am sure her mother was largely responsible for her low self-esteem. Cissy seem pure evil.

I am glad Robyn is happy and content now.

by Anonymousreply 335February 10, 2018 9:32 PM

After watching the documentary, I've come to realization that Whitney was a nasty person and didn't do anything with her fame and fortune to help other people, at least not in a significant way. She was too busy looking for her next fix.

She also couldn't sing well post-Bodyguard.

by Anonymousreply 336February 10, 2018 9:51 PM

R 336 is a baiting troll. But here: A Pediatric unit that to this day supports extreme medical emergencies, including the only pediatric liver transplant unit

NAACP hundreds of thousands of dollars in the ‘80’s/‘90’s

The only US musician to 1st lead the charge to refuse to support apartheid South Africa

3 night concert HBO Whitney at Constitution Hall - $300,000 dollars to the Children’s Defense Fund

Many Childrens agencies in the NYC/NJ area.....also she quietly supported many LGBT groups - including being personally tight With many people in this community - particularly the women that would go on to become the 1st WNBA teams in NY. & NJ. She was very supportive of friends struggling with Gender Dysphoria also - lending financial support.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337February 10, 2018 10:10 PM

Watching the documentary, there can be no question that Robyn was a stone-cold dyke.

by Anonymousreply 338February 11, 2018 12:53 AM

Robyn was pretty damn gorgeous when she femmed up, tall lithe, quite the looker - a counter part to Whitney. Two stunning women under one roof - hella lot of beauty - both of them beautiful inside, kind, Very well respected by all who encountered them - in their shared personal life as well as the business. Their relationship spanned 9-11 years. WHile not without conflict it was nothing like the violence with Brown and his constant demeaning of Whitney.

Robyn on the other hand cherished her lover and built her up every day. Thus the rocket ride to The global superstardom. Whitney’s talent, Crawfords nurturing and Cissy’s schooling.

by Anonymousreply 339February 12, 2018 2:55 PM

I do know that Bobby Brown degraded Whitney and made her feel unworthy.

by Anonymousreply 340February 12, 2018 3:54 PM

[quote]For example if you read through the Aaron Carter threads there's this tremendous outpouring of empathy and sympathy.

Not from me. He was the Danny Pintauro of the 1990s: famous for his sexuality and not for actually having talent. Aaron's "music" is unlistenable, and [italic]Who's the fucking Boss[/italic] is unwatchable. And these days they both look like used-up old methheads despite being a decade apart. But since they're both white (yes, Italians are white as are all European ethnicities other than Ashkenazi Jews), the underlying mode of thinking behind that attitude is that when whites screw up it's their own fault, but when blacks screw up it's black people's fault. Now that's what I call racism.

by Anonymousreply 341February 12, 2018 3:55 PM

I loved that people said Cissy was such a nasty controlling cunt.

I remember when Whitney became famous, early on people always mentioned that Cissy was like that. Then the press stopped talking about it. I wonder who ordered them to stop. Probably Clive bc he pushed for such a clean image of Whitney and a controlling mother would have soiled it.

Terrible family, full of hypocrites and greedy hangers on, trashy, nasty, homophobic, narrow minded and mean spirited.

by Anonymousreply 342March 2, 2018 8:17 AM

I forget his name, but I loved the guy who called Cissy on her homophobic shit: "All three of your kids are on hard drugs, and your main concern is that your daughter might be gay? What the fuck is wrong with you?"

by Anonymousreply 343March 2, 2018 7:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!