Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elder Gays: What's The Scoop On Merv Griffin? Any Stories... Wasn't He Closeted? Thank You!

Just started watching the Merv Griffin talk show. It was before my time. Love seeing the now older stars!! I watch and think if some of them knew how their life would end up! Some stars are still successful, some I have no clue who they are. Merv was a great interviewer. I like his talk show... I find him handsome too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106December 26, 2019 1:19 AM

Heard third hand rumors that he was a grabby harasser and threatened to have men blacklisted if they resisted. But as a frau I loved his show, recently bought a DVD set of some of his 1970s shows. I loved his charm and his enthusiasm, and it's fun to watch extensive interviews with stars and celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 1August 24, 2017 9:41 PM

Did my life lesson escape you people all together ? Jesus !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 24, 2017 10:00 PM

Made a fortune with his JeOpARdY jingle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 24, 2017 10:09 PM

Merv The Perv was a big queen. I knew someone who worked for his game shows and was known as being a big time gay. His beard Eva Gabor made him look even more gay than he was.

by Anonymousreply 4August 24, 2017 10:11 PM

Had friends that worked for him.

When asked years ago about his wealth compared to Trump, he scoffed.

Trump was a fraud and practically broke, he said.

by Anonymousreply 5August 24, 2017 10:23 PM

He certainly was a perv. He was really inappropriate to me in the locker room of a tennis club. I was about 16 too.

by Anonymousreply 6August 24, 2017 10:30 PM

Without him, would there be a milquetoast Ryan Seacrest?

by Anonymousreply 7August 24, 2017 10:37 PM

He interrupted his guests all the time. Oprah would too. It was annoying.

by Anonymousreply 8August 24, 2017 11:16 PM

I read the book Merv Griffin Life in the Closet.....it barely mentions Seacrest....probably to avoid lawsuits.....but if you like OLD HOLLYWOOD there is some stuff there...

by Anonymousreply 9August 24, 2017 11:30 PM

Is that Deney Terrio r2?

by Anonymousreply 10August 25, 2017 12:05 AM

R4

Zsa Zsa mentioned to mutual friends about how absurd her sister & Merv looked together, that no one with any sense would buy their 'romance'. Eva was happy with the arrangement & told Zsa Zsa to butt out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 25, 2017 12:15 AM

I think that's Denny - I remember he was on the Howard Stern show and, after noticing his hairy hands, Howard asked, "Denny, were you born or were you trapped?" Lol

by Anonymousreply 12August 25, 2017 2:00 AM

The boyfriend of a friend of mine worked very closely with him for many years. I only heard good things about Merv. I heard from those friends that YES, Tom Cruise is gay, Clooney, Seacrest... Which they knew via Merv. Never any gossip about Merv himself, though.

by Anonymousreply 13August 25, 2017 2:06 AM

What a surprise R13! Auntie queeny of the highest order, short, fat, hungry and thirsty in more ways than one. He was so annoying. He had a son too.

by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2017 2:16 AM

Merv would ask celebrity guests to share personal stories, share personal experiences, talk about on-set observations; when the guests' stories were especially revealing, he would have a standard reply: "Oooooooh, that's fascinating/interesting/amazing!" Whatever the adjective of the moment was, it was always prefaced by, "Oooooooh!"

We were teenagers watching after-school TV; our favorite was "The Merv Griffin Show." It got to the point where we knew the moment he would dramatize the guests' stories with his special exclamation; we would turn to each other and say, "Ooooooh!" along with him, and then burst into laugher.

by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2017 2:31 AM

I have no clue about the Merv and Ryan Seacrest Story... can someone share??

by Anonymousreply 16August 25, 2017 5:32 AM

Merv perved on Denny Terrio and his dirty dance-fever underpants. Merv himself said he was quatre sexual -- he'd do anything for a quarter.

by Anonymousreply 17August 25, 2017 5:43 AM

The Seacrest story is v graphic and involves coprophilia, pls DM me

by Anonymousreply 18August 25, 2017 5:43 AM

Please DM me? What does that mean...

by Anonymousreply 19August 25, 2017 5:51 AM

Ryan so handsome...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 25, 2017 5:54 AM

Rhymes with perv for a reason

by Anonymousreply 21August 25, 2017 6:23 AM

Grab 'em by the boypussy.

by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2017 6:25 AM

Have heard from people who worked very closely with him for years: A really nice guy. Too nice actually - would fly his staff down to Mexico for the weekend on a whim, just to do it, and put himself in potentially precarious situations, though never purposely. He was just a fun guy who liked to have a good time. This was a fabulous interview from 2002. He was a great host, but a wonderful guest too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 25, 2017 6:30 AM

You are the anti-Trump.

by Anonymousreply 24August 25, 2017 6:31 AM

Sadly, he never touched me inappropriately.

by Anonymousreply 25August 25, 2017 6:32 AM

The Final Jeopardy "Think" song was originally composed by Griffin under the title "A Time for Tony", as a lullaby for his son. Sorry, this is the only "scoop" I have on Merv.

by Anonymousreply 26August 25, 2017 6:45 AM

He would put his palm under his chin, with his arm resting on the arm of the sofa, and say to the guest, "Ooohhh. Tell me about your gall bladder operation. Mmmmm."

by Anonymousreply 27August 25, 2017 6:49 AM

Saw him once in person, in 1982 when he was the grand marshal of the Portland Rose Parade. It was raining, as usual, and my friend had an enormous umbrella, with fancy Asian artwork on it. It was about 10 feet in diameter and there were 6 or 7 of us gay guys under it. As Merv passed by on his little float, my friend spun the umbrella and moved it up and down. Merv noticed us, smiled really big, pointed at us then gave a parade wave fitting of a parade queen. At that moment all of us lost any doubt that he was one of us.

by Anonymousreply 28August 25, 2017 6:57 AM

I attended one of his talk shows in LA (right out of high school in the 70s--yeah, I'm old). . Bob Hope and Richard Pryor were his guests. I remember that Bob Hope was not funny at all, somewhat aloof and cold; I wasn't impressed with him at all. Richard Pryor was new upcoming comedian and he gave a hilarious monologue. When the cameras were off during the commercial break, Hope and Merv were talking among themselves, completely ignoring Pryor. Pryor didn't seem to mind, he was talking to himself, making goofy comments, making everyone laugh. That guy was funny all the time and this before he became famous.

by Anonymousreply 29August 25, 2017 7:01 AM

Inside info - Back in the day - Mevrv's Florida home was the place for drunk-fest bisexual orgies with his best friends nearby, Burt Reynolds and Ed Mcmahon in attendance. Merv liked to watch. Ed had the biggest dick. Burt took his trick upstairs. All that happened when your secret could be kept safe.

by Anonymousreply 30August 25, 2017 7:47 AM

We'll be right back.

by Anonymousreply 31August 25, 2017 7:59 AM

Had him--sloppy bottom. And BOSSY. "There, no, just a little, up, up, too far up, down, slowwww, too slow..."

by Anonymousreply 32August 25, 2017 8:02 AM

Merv kept a bungalow at the Beverly Hills Hotel for his tricks, and liked them barely legal.

His son is obnoxious, IG name is Richer and Famous or something equally obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 33August 25, 2017 8:03 AM

We'll be right back.

by Anonymousreply 34August 25, 2017 8:05 AM

In all his photos he has his tongue jammed up against the inside of his lower teeth. Anticipation?

by Anonymousreply 35August 25, 2017 8:25 AM

"Burt took his trick upstairs."

That was rather selfish of him. Why didn't he do his trick downstairs, so that everyone could enjoy it?

by Anonymousreply 36August 25, 2017 8:33 AM

Syan Reacrest was his boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 25, 2017 9:11 AM

EdMcMahon? Wow.

What about Doc Severinsen?

by Anonymousreply 38August 25, 2017 9:22 AM

Merv with Rickles and Mr. T

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 25, 2017 10:06 AM

Damn Seacrest was actually a little hottie.

by Anonymousreply 40August 25, 2017 10:27 AM

Wheel Of

by Anonymousreply 41August 25, 2017 10:33 AM

I can't find a clip, but I do remember that Larry King interviewed Merv's ex-wife, Julann, the week Merv died. They were married for 18 years and divorced in the 70s. She said "I know he loved me," a couple of times, which to me implied a bearding relationship.

by Anonymousreply 42August 25, 2017 4:08 PM

[quote]Had him--sloppy bottom. And BOSSY. "There, no, just a little, up, up, too far up, down, slowwww, too slow..."

[italic]Ooooooooooh![/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 25, 2017 5:22 PM

๐’๐’”๐’‚ ๐’๐’”๐’‚ ๐’Ž๐’†๐’๐’•๐’Š๐’๐’๐’†๐’… ๐’•๐’ ๐’Ž๐’–๐’•๐’–๐’‚๐’ ๐’‡๐’“๐’Š๐’†๐’๐’…๐’” ๐’‚๐’ƒ๐’๐’–๐’• ๐’‰๐’๐’˜ ๐’‚๐’ƒ๐’”๐’–๐’“๐’… ๐’‰๐’†๐’“ ๐’”๐’Š๐’”๐’•๐’†๐’“ & ๐‘ด๐’†๐’“๐’— ๐’๐’๐’๐’Œ๐’†๐’… ๐’•๐’๐’ˆ๐’†๐’•๐’‰๐’†๐’“, ๐’•๐’‰๐’‚๐’• ๐’๐’ ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’˜๐’Š๐’•๐’‰ ๐’‚๐’๐’š ๐’”๐’†๐’๐’”๐’† ๐’˜๐’๐’–๐’๐’… ๐’ƒ๐’–๐’š ๐’•๐’‰๐’†๐’Š๐’“ '๐’“๐’๐’Ž๐’‚๐’๐’„๐’†'.

Said the woman who wound up marrying this guy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 25, 2017 5:34 PM

Dahlink, he vaz ze best, or at least ze last!!!

by Anonymousreply 45August 25, 2017 5:39 PM

Who wrote that bio on him after he died that implied that he was a side piece for some Golden Age Hollywood actor??? Was any of that true?

by Anonymousreply 46August 25, 2017 5:59 PM

We'll be right back.

by Anonymousreply 47August 25, 2017 6:36 PM

Julann and Merv genuinely loved each other as friends and stayed close after they divorced. She's an interesting person in her own rightโ€”before she met Merv, she launched a comedy career in the '50s completely by accident, and she came up with the idea for [italic]Jeopardy![/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 25, 2017 6:48 PM

We'll be right back.

by Anonymousreply 49August 25, 2017 7:10 PM

How rich was Merv and how much money did he make and who did he leave his estate to? That's all I really care about. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 50August 25, 2017 7:29 PM

Merv makes a cameo appearance in the biography of Montgomery Clift I read a while back. I can't remember exactly how he figured in the life of Clift but I'll pull the book out and read the passage again to confirm it. Seems he was part of a little gay group that hung together back in the 50's. I don't think he was well liked by Monty for some reason.

I'll be right back!

In the meantime, there was a very salacious story being passed around concerning a meeting between Merv and River Phoenix, of all people, that implied that Merv had some fun with River behind closed doors. I have no idea where the story originated, but I read it a couple of times on different sites.

by Anonymousreply 51August 25, 2017 7:33 PM

Back in the early '80s the up-and-coming model Rene Russo was a guest on the show. Gorgeous. Also making. A"Guest" appearance was his son Tony.

While Tony and Rene were sitting on the set sofa, talking with Merv, Merv asked Rene to go on a date with his stupid-ass son! Awkward! Rene was great; she just smiled and said, "I don't think so." (Like, that ain't happening.). She didn't even once look in Tony's direction.

by Anonymousreply 52August 25, 2017 7:47 PM

This thread should be banned in Boston.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 25, 2017 7:58 PM

Of course he was gay.

And he basically gave Ryan Seacrest his career.

Who knows what Ryan Seacrest gave him in return.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 25, 2017 7:58 PM

We'll be right back.

by Anonymousreply 55August 25, 2017 7:58 PM

I think there were rumors about him giving David Soul his career. He apparently had him on a lot, including a bunch of times as some masked singer. I recall some rumors there similar to Seacrest.

by Anonymousreply 56August 25, 2017 8:17 PM

God damn R54, if anyone ever wondered what a deal with the devil looks like, that picture captures it perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 57August 25, 2017 8:49 PM

And who wouldn't want to play with Seacrest ? Tens of thousands of us, that's who !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 25, 2017 8:58 PM

He was an altar boy and often referred to his Catholicism. I think he married because that's what most gay men of his era did. Hi probably did love his wife, in his own way.

by Anonymousreply 59August 25, 2017 9:58 PM

Did Merv Griffin actually have a fat ass? The SCTV videos portray him as being big-butted.

by Anonymousreply 60August 25, 2017 10:03 PM

Well, now I know why I didn't have a bigger career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 25, 2017 10:06 PM

He started out as a big band singer (as did another daytime host of note, Mike Douglas.) I think he was truly appreciative of his success.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 26, 2017 12:18 AM

The SCTV parody of him was hilarious

by Anonymousreply 63August 26, 2017 12:23 AM

I remember reading about him and River, too but I don't remember the details

by Anonymousreply 64August 26, 2017 12:38 AM

[quote]The SCTV parody of him was hilarious

LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 26, 2017 12:40 AM

Thanks for all the information. Anymore scoop

by Anonymousreply 66August 26, 2017 4:27 PM

How did Ryan meet Merv?

by Anonymousreply 67August 27, 2017 1:03 AM

How did Ryan meet Merv?

by Anonymousreply 68August 27, 2017 9:10 PM

Well then, how did Merv meet Ryan?

by Anonymousreply 69August 28, 2017 1:23 AM

He had a lovely pair of coconuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 28, 2017 1:28 AM

he was a fucking closet QUEEN

by Anonymousreply 71August 28, 2017 1:49 AM

Griffin's father was a banker and Griffin worked for a while in banking and finance, that is where he gained his financial acumen. At one time, he was listed in the Forbes 400 with a fortune of least $250 million. Johnny Carson, who was friend as well as a rival, said Griffin would rather be an entertainer than a billionaire.

by Anonymousreply 72August 28, 2017 1:53 AM

A story about Robert Reed.

by Anonymousreply 73August 28, 2017 1:59 AM

R70, what a hoot! He was very good and a little bizarre. In retrospect, one can perhaps see some queeniness, but that whole music hall tradition had that. See Olivier as Archie Rice in The Entertainer. Also, maybe the play The Nance?

by Anonymousreply 74August 28, 2017 2:09 AM

That's why I was so conflicted when I came out to my otherwise super-cool, hip, liberal mom in 1978. She more than once described Merv Griffin as "Queer as a three dollar bill."

And I would glare at her and think to myself "So am I, mom, so am I."

by Anonymousreply 75August 28, 2017 2:46 AM

Gaaaaaaaay

by Anonymousreply 76August 28, 2017 2:39 PM

And nobody has mentioned Darwin Porter! He wrote volumes about Merv! Particularly Charlton Heston!

by Anonymousreply 77August 28, 2017 3:04 PM

I would come home after school and would watch his show because my mom liked to watch him. Merv always had the same old guests: Charo, Monty Hall, Eva Gabor, etc. But he would have Fred Williamson on a lot. Merv would act like a schoolgirl around this guy. I thought it was odd the way he acted as I had no clue about sexual orientation. A year later,, I read a story in a tabloid claiming the wife of a tv talkshow host left him because he was hanging around a handsome black actor a lot and had him stashed in his secret love nest. It sounded a lot like Merv Griffin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 3, 2017 4:24 AM

Fred was mighty fine. Remember him in Junie Moon, as the boyfriend of Robert Moore? On the beach in his swim trunks.

by Anonymousreply 79September 3, 2017 6:08 AM

.Merv great in Steve Martin film as elevator killer

by Anonymousreply 80September 3, 2017 6:09 AM

How much more in there to say about chubby Merv?

Cliff notes- Minor singer, talk show host, game show inventor who made big money when he sold out, closeted queen who squired the nice Gabor around town. Dead.

by Anonymousreply 81September 3, 2017 8:40 AM

[quote] Monty Hall

Really?

by Anonymousreply 82September 4, 2017 3:54 AM

READ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 4, 2017 4:31 AM

I always loved the "Merv, I'm not ready" line from Deney Terrio's lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 84September 4, 2017 5:25 AM

I heard Carl Reiner on a podcast not long ago mention that he had lunch recently with Julann and she had told him that Merv never gave her any financial stake in Jeopardy. Carl thought it was a low-class thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 85September 4, 2017 5:51 AM

R83 that article was a whole bunch of fluff about nothing. Bland as plain yogurt to pick up an easy pay check for writing it.

by Anonymousreply 86September 4, 2017 5:55 AM

So are we actually saying Ed McMahon was gay or bi?

by Anonymousreply 87September 4, 2017 6:38 AM

And just HOW BIG was McMahon's dick? Damn! Who would've ever thought (about Ed McMahon in a sexual way)?

Also: how big is David Soul's dick, and what was the story about him and Merv?

by Anonymousreply 88September 4, 2017 7:16 AM

Ed McMahon has never been sexual and never will be. Repulsive looking old man. He reminds me of the pedophile in Boogie Nights. The clothes in the above pics are creeping me out.

by Anonymousreply 89September 4, 2017 7:21 AM

Seeing that clip justifies my secret revulsion to David Letterman from day 1

by Anonymousreply 90September 4, 2017 7:40 AM

Are there any good YouTube clips of Merv and Arthur talking to each other on the show?

by Anonymousreply 91September 13, 2017 6:44 AM

Darling, Eb was the only homo I'd associate with

by Anonymousreply 92September 13, 2017 7:47 AM

Merv was also a film actor; he co-starred with Kathryn Grayson in the 1950's.

by Anonymousreply 93September 13, 2017 9:50 AM

I want to hear about Heston.

His skinny dipping in POTA confirmed my gayness.

Also thought he had a fabulous but not overbuilt body the kind of body that athletic men had back then in I believe that Julius Caesar movie which I believe has cut out all the male nudity ever since it was first put out on video.

They overdid it with Hamm in Madmen. A man like him would not have had such a soft body. Look at topless pictures of Hudson and Rod Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 94September 13, 2017 10:09 AM

More about Griffin and Williamson please. I was really pissed at Playgirl for not showing it all. He did show butt in a couple of movies. Too bad he didn't emulate Jim Brown enough.

by Anonymousreply 95September 13, 2017 5:11 PM

Is it true the Merv was quite the shit if he felt crossed in any way?

Didn't he and Eva have a falling out causing the end of their friendship over a money matter?

by Anonymousreply 96September 13, 2017 5:33 PM

She jipped him at poker

by Anonymousreply 97September 13, 2017 5:41 PM

The pairing of Merv and Ava was more mixed up than Hungarian goulash.

by Anonymousreply 98September 13, 2017 11:30 PM

Bea Arthur had no use for him.

by Anonymousreply 99September 21, 2017 6:36 PM

[quote]Who knows what Ryan Seacrest gave him in return.

Hopefully nothing that needs prescription pills to treat.

by Anonymousreply 100September 21, 2017 6:47 PM

r54 Ryan Seacrest tiny head - Merv Griffin huge head - freakish.

by Anonymousreply 101March 19, 2019 5:08 AM

McMahanโ€™s dick can never be big enough to overcome the creep factor.

by Anonymousreply 102March 19, 2019 5:20 AM

I want to hear more about Burt Reynolds at that party, or at any other tiime!

by Anonymousreply 103March 19, 2019 6:23 AM

R62, Merv was quite handsome in that clip. Around that time I think he was living with Roddy McDowall who was also closeted.

by Anonymousreply 104December 25, 2019 10:36 PM

I can't imagine a single solitary gay man who ever lived whose first crush was Merv Griffin.

by Anonymousreply 105December 25, 2019 10:46 PM

[quote]McMahanโ€™s dick can never be big enough to overcome the creep factor.

You are correct, sir. Ha-Ha!

by Anonymousreply 106December 26, 2019 1:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!