Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why didn't Richard Nixon reverse Civil Rights and resegregate America?

What was it like when he won?

by Anonymousreply 37April 24, 2019 12:53 AM

OP You forget to type: "Dear Eldergays..."

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2017 4:15 AM

Because Nixon was a shrewd politician and wanted to get reelected.

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2017 4:19 AM

Noam Chomsky on Richard Nixon:

Nixon was basically the last liberal president, and those liberal measures were in substantial part the result of popular activism, from CIO organizing in the 1930s up to the activism in the ’60s and on to their impact in the early ’70s. They had an impact on legislation and on public officials. . .. . Nixon did a lot of rotten things much worse than starting the modern War on Drugs, but the same is true of other liberal presidents. His liberal initiatives included the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and much else. No president since Nixon has passed such liberal initiatives. His perceived “class treachery” appears to have been a factor in the substantial business-led backlash against democracy and rights that took off in the mid-’70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2017 4:20 AM

America is already re-segregated. Black people refuse to live anywhere except in the cities and their suburbs - a form of segregation - and the cousin-fuckers refuse to live anywhere other than in lily-white places like Alabama and Wyoming and Idaho and Vermont, so that they never have to deal with "those people" (lookin' at YOU, "radical liberal" Bernie Sanders, snort.)

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2017 4:23 AM

Freedom of association, it's what most people want, whether they admit it or not. Left on their own, something "The Left" is loathe to allow them to do-unalike peoples self-segregate. It's perfectly natural.

OF COURSE Bernie's a hypocrite. ALL public figures are deceitful, treacherous scum. In other news, raisins are wrinkled.

Re: cousin-fuckers..you'd better sit down. Some of the bluest states in the union have some of most lax marriage laws.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2017 5:11 AM

He didn't actually. The thing people never realize is that the REPUBLICANS were pro-integration. The activist 50s and 60s Supreme Court was a product of liberal Republicans. Eisenhower was a great proponent of integration, being from the military which also advocated that.

Nixon however developed the "Southern Strategy." He assumed the Northeast, Midwest and West was locked to Republicans, (which it was nationally till 1992). So he said, they could win the South by appearing "state's rights" but not segregationist. This worked amazingly well for 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2017 6:26 AM

Republican leaders were honest back then. They knew there was no legitimate, fair or respectable justification for racism and the courts were striking it down.

Today, Donald Trump will just lie and Fox News will just spin-belittle any opposition.

The masses have always been even more dishonest and ignorant than the leaders. So when the leaders are all dishonest, corrupt and irresponsible, forget about the followers doing the right things.

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2017 8:06 AM

He found other ways to devastate minority communities under the guise of the War on Drugs.

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2017 8:34 AM

R4 has obviously never been to Alabama. Black people are 25% of the state's population.

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2017 8:39 AM

I think Tricia Nixon Cox would have been a DL fave had the internet been around back then.

Her outfits were so "blank"

(BTW I learned this from an MTM episode where Rhoda insults Mary's nightgown as something Tricia Nixon would wear so I'm not really sure what the outfits were like technically. I'd guess they were conservative.)

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2017 8:56 AM

was Pat really like the angry drunk Joan Allen played in "Nixon"?

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2017 8:57 AM

I wish the birth control pill had been invented before the War on Poverty legislation was passed.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2017 9:12 AM

[quote] Noam Chomsky on Richard Nixon: Nixon was basically the last liberal president

Interesting and spot on.

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2017 10:21 PM

He went with affirmative action instead OP

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2017 11:03 PM

One thing I was told when I was much younger is that all the Civil Rights legislation that was passed back in the 60s might have never happened if JFK hadn't been assassinated. Lyndon Johnson moved the legislation forward at a time when it was almost unthinkable to counter Kennedy's legacy. Truman had tried to pass Civil Rights legislation much earlier, and had failed. Nixon came in after that momentum, and wouldn't have dared to try to reverse it (and I don't think he had any reason to want to, either). Nixon was very messed up, but he was quite progressive in many areas. And there was really no hope in reversing things at that time, anyway. Nixon was a Scorpio: very pragmatic.

by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2017 12:49 AM

Because segregation was wrong and evil.

Any other questions, Adolf?

by Anonymousreply 16September 3, 2017 4:53 AM

Higher percentage of the US total Black population is concentrated in the South, at least it was, as shown in the 2010 census.

by Anonymousreply 17September 3, 2017 5:33 AM

Nixon died 25 years ago today.

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2019 3:38 PM

He was a very pragmatic guy who would have had no interest in the amount of work and disruption it would have taken to resegregate America.

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2019 3:48 PM

Ironically, Nixon, seen as the patron saint of evil republicans, behaved like a Rockefeller Republican. What was he really? Utterly self interested, that's what. What politics were deep in his heart, that's impossible to determine. He did have a sense though that America had swung to the left due to the Vietnam War and Civil Rights, and so in order to stay relevant and in control of the center, he adopted many policies we would see as owned by the democrats today, such as clean air and civil rights.

Of course when it suited the times, he could be an arch rightwinger as well. See for instance his truly evil redbaiting in the 1950s.

Nixon was always out for Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2019 3:50 PM

That doesn't explain why you bumped a racebait thread from two years ago, R18.

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2019 3:51 PM

No sinister motive, R21. I'm not a paying member so I searched a Nixon-related thread so that I could note his death was 25 years ago. The first such thread was closed, so I found this thread, the most recent of the Nixon threads.

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2019 4:06 PM

I'm not a Nixon fan, either, r22, and it never occurred to me to know his deathdate.

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2019 4:18 PM

Or to post about it on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2019 4:20 PM

The gays, how they love Nixon, I must get to the DL to post about the anniversary of his death!

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2019 4:26 PM

The Mrs. Kennedy thread and the realization that we soon would be marking the 25th anniversary of her death reminded me that Nixon died less than a month before. Whatever you think of him, he was certainly an historical figure whose presidency is even more relevant in the Age of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2019 7:06 PM

I, for one, look forward to (hopefully, at least) being around to commemorate the anniversary of Trump's passing.

by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2019 8:24 PM

Lets see, in a thread about Dick Nixon we have an anti-Sanders whine from R4, a right winger arguing that racial segregation is A-OK at R5, and a racist pig who doesn't know that birth control existed way before the War on Poverty at R12. I came here in January 2018 and it's nice to see DL has not really changed in 2 years.....

by Anonymousreply 28April 22, 2019 8:34 PM

OP ESL? Read a fucking book.

by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2019 8:36 PM

De-segregation has been a complete and total disaster. So has the welfare state which destroyed the black family and black morality.

Re-segregation would be wonderful, and all those woke liberals like r4 could volunteer in the black areas, for about two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 30April 22, 2019 8:39 PM

The war on drugs started when FDR signed the Marihuana Tax Act Of 1937 into law.

by Anonymousreply 31April 22, 2019 8:42 PM

Why didn't Richard Nixon reestablish the Salem Witch Trials?

by Anonymousreply 32April 22, 2019 8:44 PM

Eisenhower and Nixon kept the Liberal programs initially by FDR (and for Nixon, Johnson).

Eisenhower was not a civil rights advocate as president.

by Anonymousreply 33April 22, 2019 8:53 PM

[Quote]Why didn't Richard Nixon reestablish the Salem Witch Trials?

Stop giving ideas to the current president!

by Anonymousreply 34April 22, 2019 8:55 PM

"Republican leaders were honest back then."

I never thought I would see somebody type this about the Watergate era.

It is mind boggling how much worse things are when Nixon is now percieved as "honest" and the statement is not meant to be ironic.

by Anonymousreply 35April 22, 2019 10:13 PM

Starting at 3:02, can anyone imagine Trump breaking down like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 24, 2019 12:49 AM

Nixon was too busy trying to save his sorry ass. History repeats but it's worse now.

by Anonymousreply 37April 24, 2019 12:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!