Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Tom Hiddleston's career dead?

From nearly being James Bond to doing voice over work as the villan in a stop motion animated movie about cave dwellers....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600January 28, 2019 11:49 PM

Was it ever really alive?

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2017 7:26 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2017 7:29 PM

Excuse yourself OP, Wallace and Gromit are prestige animated movie.

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2017 7:34 PM

He was [italic]red hot[/italic] for a minute there. And then the Swift/Golden Globes period happened.

He needs to go away for a while and completely reinvent himself and regain lost cred through indie movies. No way he's making it big without that step; he's seen as a joke right now.

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2017 7:34 PM

Somebody will reboot "The Greatest American Hero" and he will have the career William Katt has/had.

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2017 7:39 PM

No.

This is evidence his career is thriving.

But it will all go downhill if he keeps making so many bad publicity moves, like stunt-dating Taylor Swift and humble bragging at the Golden Globes.

I know he plays villains, but people don't want the actor to also be a twat.

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2017 7:57 PM

Saw him live at the Donmar Theatre, playing in Shakespeare's "Coriolanus". He was very good. Not enough anus shown in the play though - false marketing.

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2017 8:05 PM

I wouldn't say he was "nearly being James Bond". He was just one of the names floating around.

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2017 8:08 PM

There is NO way he would play James Bond. Unless they decide to do a gay James Bond. He just doesn't have the "IT" factor to play Bond.

by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2017 8:10 PM

As long as he has Loki; until that contract ends, he is OK. But I hope he has a proper and sensible savings plan.

by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2017 8:59 PM

R9, your post is practically homophobic. Daniel Craig plays gay very convincingly, and there's been tons of gay rumors about him. On top of that Craig wanted Bond to go gay.

by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2017 9:09 PM

Yes but Daniel Craig is masculine enough for Bond, while Hiddleston could only do a campy Bond villan. His attempts to 'butch up' were laughable and cringeworthy at best.

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2017 10:10 PM

It's his punishment for wearing this stupid shirt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2017 11:28 PM

I thought he would, and he go back to Kenny B. for a job since he is doing that Hamlet charity gig. Nice to have him in your corner, but it doesn't look like other producers and directors are vying to work with him.

He also needs to stop trying to butch it up or act like he is a ladies man. No one is buying it. Find your niche and work it.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2017 2:43 AM

This site is crazy now. Are we here to talk about gay gossip? Or is this the site where we talk about politics and Luke Evan's prolapsed anus?

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2017 1:07 PM

I'm sure he's pissed that T.Swift is releasing her album a week after Thor Ragnarok comes out. That's got to be just a little bit intentional. The press for both will probably overlap, hopefully his PR people and Marvel/Disney keep the Hiddleswift questions at bay. He looked miserable at Comic Con and didn't participate in hardly any of the interviews. He was a twat for signing up for that showmance but by all appearances he's learned his lesson, I'm sure he'd like to move on.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2017 10:41 PM

He'll be back to sucking Kenneth Branaghs cock in no time.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2017 11:12 PM

[quote] Or is this the site where we talk about politics and Luke Evan's prolapsed anus?

Impossible. Luke Evans is a top.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2017 11:13 PM

Time for him to do a nude layout. Although, did he go nude in the sitcom Suburban Shootout?

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2017 11:21 PM

He sure likes to show his ass, literally and figuratively.

by Anonymousreply 20August 24, 2017 2:32 AM

God, we hope so - bitch stole our look!

by Anonymousreply 21August 24, 2017 2:35 AM

I'm so embarrassed by the Cuban heels in r2.

by Anonymousreply 22August 24, 2017 2:36 AM

He's hot as Loki. And ONLY Loki.

by Anonymousreply 23August 24, 2017 2:43 AM

Out of that entire photo, THAT'S what you're embarrassed about R22?

by Anonymousreply 24August 27, 2017 12:24 AM

This tries-too-hard interview made me laugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 27, 2017 10:59 PM

[R10] His family is the second wealthiest in England. I think he'll be okay. Look up the Vestey family.

by Anonymousreply 26September 3, 2017 5:32 AM

he stared at himself on the monitor after every take in king kong brie larson said it

by Anonymousreply 27September 3, 2017 5:45 AM

Brie Larson is such a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 28September 3, 2017 6:00 AM

r27 lol. r28 why is she a bitch?

by Anonymousreply 29September 3, 2017 6:37 AM

new pics out from his hamlet rehearsals/press

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 3, 2017 8:52 AM

But r26, he wants to be a big star, sex symbol, acclaimed...and at the moment he is a big joke. All his stans can talk about him running back to his daddy, Kenneth, for this charity show, but the general public does not know or care.

Between the multiple bad photshoots, ridiculous stunts with Swift, neurotic interviews, off putting speeches, all but publicly begging for the Bond gig, this is a lesson of what not to do for young PR agents. He didn't kill anyone, but it is clear to see why directors, casting agents and producers aren't throwing much work his way. He just soured people on himself.

by Anonymousreply 31September 3, 2017 10:06 PM

R31 "He didn't kill anyone" well that's good

by Anonymousreply 32September 4, 2017 4:17 AM

[quote] He didn't kill anyone

No celeb &co. ever killed anyone; dl is so enlightening and critical.

by Anonymousreply 33September 4, 2017 4:44 AM

R31, I was responding to people who are mystified as to why his career took a downward turn, who think you need to commit a crime to have any real career fallout.

by Anonymousreply 34September 4, 2017 2:31 PM

R27 when did she say that?

by Anonymousreply 35September 5, 2017 11:57 PM

No, OP.

by Anonymousreply 36September 6, 2017 12:11 AM

He's not even goodlooking!!

by Anonymousreply 37September 6, 2017 4:27 AM

I can't believe he said his family was middle-class and that they have a modest home in that GQ interview. His mother is an incredibly wealthy member of the Vestey family. Whatever, Tom.

by Anonymousreply 38September 6, 2017 5:33 AM

Has anyone here seen Hiddleshamlet

by Anonymousreply 39September 10, 2017 1:06 PM

I don't think he has appeal in the US. Do people in the UK like him?

by Anonymousreply 40September 10, 2017 1:08 PM

Wish his fame whore ass wasn't in this animation don't like to see this famewhore in premieres or interviews for this film actually don't like to see him in any film anymore after TayTo (lol) showmance I despise him

by Anonymousreply 41September 10, 2017 1:21 PM

R38 He's a liar

by Anonymousreply 42September 10, 2017 1:22 PM

Hey, he's got some big movie premiere soon.

by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2018 11:49 AM

Ugh! He's appearing in Avengers as Loki in 2018.

R40) That's a good question.

by Anonymousreply 44January 14, 2018 12:21 PM

After The I ❤️TS shirt fiasco, his cuhreer is ovah! Taylor Swift seems to chew up and spit out all her beard’s careers. Next thing we will see is poor Tom in the Daily Mail stating “We bought a Zoo!”

by Anonymousreply 45January 14, 2018 5:24 PM

I saw some pics from premiere, he look weird. I guess it's a goodbye for now.

by Anonymousreply 46January 23, 2018 8:18 PM

Man did he torpedo is public image pretty spectacularly. It is impressive in its own way.

by Anonymousreply 47January 23, 2018 8:25 PM

Sad Last Days!

by Anonymousreply 48January 23, 2018 8:29 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 15, 2018 9:38 PM

He looks like he's been rolling in dirt in R49. The dog leash gives some kind of explanation.

by Anonymousreply 50March 15, 2018 9:46 PM

R25 that's seriously the most unreadable article ever. I want to punch both Tom and the writer (a snarky twat who can hardly conceal her disdain) in the face.

by Anonymousreply 51March 15, 2018 10:31 PM

His career doesn’t seem to be dead as long as he’s Loki.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 9, 2018 7:09 PM

Marvel will keep his career alive as long as they need him.

by Anonymousreply 53April 9, 2018 7:44 PM

Real question, is he gay? Cause if not I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 54April 9, 2018 7:52 PM

He has multiple active DL threads right now. If he did a shirtless photoshoot tomorrow, you'd all be all over it. You queens will surely be seeing his next movie and will discuss it across the interwebs. He is doing fine.

by Anonymousreply 55April 9, 2018 7:56 PM

R55 being talked about doesn't = thriving career. That said I don't think his career is dead. I think he's found his ceiling. He isn't going to be Bond, he isn't going to get a lot of awards.

by Anonymousreply 56April 9, 2018 9:06 PM

Well he will always have Ken to give him acting jobs....

by Anonymousreply 57April 9, 2018 9:08 PM

Agreed 56 but it also does rule out "Dead" career. If producers think people will watch the movies (and you all at least surely will) he will keep getting jobs

by Anonymousreply 58April 9, 2018 9:29 PM

R58 I don't think everyone who likes making fun of him will pay to see his movies. One the things the internet has brought us is the ability to easily keep track of celebrities without actually seeing any of their work. You can read reviews and recaps and form opinions based on other people's opinions.

by Anonymousreply 59April 9, 2018 9:49 PM

I think most of you like talking about him because he's hot. Which is what will also bring you to the movies. R59

by Anonymousreply 60April 9, 2018 10:01 PM

I don't find him especially hot. My interest in him stems from his PR missteps. Watching very thirsty stars embarrass themselves amuses me.

It is rediculous to suggest that someone who is still working has a dead career. If he starts doing dinner theater then it's dead. Plenty of actors have careers that just aren't as big as they'd like. He's one of them.

by Anonymousreply 61April 9, 2018 11:53 PM

I wonder if Taylor Swift in any way feels bad for ruining his career.

by Anonymousreply 62April 10, 2018 12:49 AM

R62 No

by Anonymousreply 63April 10, 2018 4:28 PM

Wearing that I ❤️ T S shirt was hilariously ill advised and even then, it really only gets him talked about on DL and the like. In all other areas he’s not even on peoples’ radar.

However,he can act and if he stops the cheesy and desperate attempts to become a huge star and just does what he is good at, we will see him, older and wiser, in some good things.

by Anonymousreply 64April 10, 2018 6:13 PM

R62 I think it pleases her.

by Anonymousreply 65April 11, 2018 2:24 AM

I don't think it is dead (not like Fassbender's) but only his stans screaming about Loki think that an actor who has not booked a new project in over THREE years, unless they are DLL, is doing well if they are a serious thespian. Obviously, studios, directors and producers are not vying for him or offering him lesser projects compared to his contemporaries. He just has one self-inflicted pr nightmare after another in a race to get to the top.

Like my mother always says: Begging is unbecoming.

by Anonymousreply 66April 15, 2018 5:08 PM

If memory serves, I believe he (and the other no name recognition actors at the time) was contractually obligated to act as Loki in 7 films for scale. I know that all of them tried to renegotiate their contracts after the success of the first Thor, but I don't know how successful it was.

by Anonymousreply 67April 15, 2018 5:49 PM

R61 Same here. I also find this PR masacre very entertaining to watch. Moreover I used to know a really grown up women who is a hug fan of him to the point that she dumped her boyfriend and stay single ever since because NO man can stand to Princess Charming standards. WTF?! What standards girl? You met guy once, he sing you a piece of paper and that's it. But she felt the connection and all that crazy crap so... yeah. I don't keep in touch with her anymore but it was even more fun for me at the time.

by Anonymousreply 68April 15, 2018 7:35 PM

R68 I was surprised to find out how many super fan girls are grown. When I'd see online post I assumed it was a 12 year old girl. Then I'd find out it was a 40+ woman. It's bizarre and funny and sad. I guess some people never mature romantically.

by Anonymousreply 69April 17, 2018 9:51 PM

How on earth did that FUG ever become a movie star ? He is so dry. He looks like an old accountant clerk or something. Who likes him ?

by Anonymousreply 70April 17, 2018 10:05 PM

Well it is done by fellow Brit Nick Park (love Wallace and Gromit) so I'd like to think he is "helping out" Mr.Park. However as an American yes his career is faltering. He rubbed us the wrong way. He is handsome but he has TALENT talent. He gives you 150% whilst most actors give you 60/80%. I was rooting for him but that Taylor Swift shit just wreaked of desperation. That and his (badly worded and perceived) self congratulatory speech at...the Golden Globes (?) cemented our annoyance with him. He needs better PR, his PR guy is very very young and I feel like he's giving Tom Tom bad advice.

by Anonymousreply 71April 17, 2018 10:16 PM

Well his "mentor" Kenneth Branagh gave him a part in some Hamlet charity play this year. R66

by Anonymousreply 72April 17, 2018 10:20 PM

he cant escape that bearding mess with mr taylor swift....

by Anonymousreply 73April 17, 2018 10:32 PM

It wasn't bearding!! It was true love! Read my GQ interview. Me wearing that shirt was also due to an injury!!! R73

by Anonymousreply 74April 17, 2018 10:36 PM

He was really bad in the horrible remake of 'the deep blue sea' where everything was wrong, everyone miscast and Rachel weisz thought she could play a part that Vivien Leigh had played before her. It's the only thing I saw him in. He didn't even come accross as a professional actor, and was fugly.

by Anonymousreply 75April 17, 2018 10:36 PM

He should switch to do theater full-time. Of course his ambitious ego won't let him - but that's his biggest mistake. Because he's brilliant on stage - it's his true milieu. Like when he played a renegade Roman general in "Coriolanus". He managed to morph from his naturally dorky, intellectual self into a believably battle-hardened combatant. He was also rather good in Chekhov's play "Ivanov".

And he has the perfect voice for the stage - eloquent, nuanced, textured. Despite his dreams of Hollywood movie-star fame, he's actually more of an old-school Shakespearean actor. Which explains why his portrayal of Loki in "Thor" was so unexpectedly popular - b/c he basically played a Shakespearean-style antagonist, and such classical roles are Hiddleston's stronger suit.

He did "Hamlet" in Cambridge last autumn. But only for a select, mostly college, audience, which is really a waste of an opportunity, since it was very well-reviewed by the critics. If he had subsequently brought that production over to London's West End or Broadway, it would've likely been a great sell-out gig.

It's like he's running from the theater. But it's really his true calling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 17, 2018 10:55 PM

R69 the woman I was talking about is 34/35...

by Anonymousreply 77April 19, 2018 11:58 AM

Now he is just joining Comic Con events. Likely more profitable than acting

by Anonymousreply 78October 28, 2018 3:31 AM

R78 yeah he's doing another one in January

by Anonymousreply 79October 31, 2018 12:15 PM

rarely has a mans fall been so swift.

thx taylor….

by Anonymousreply 80October 31, 2018 12:29 PM

Sadly there's just not that much work for ugly guys or Taylor Swift's ex-boyfriends.

by Anonymousreply 81October 31, 2018 12:30 PM

even Harry styles seems to have vanished and so Calvin Harris

by Anonymousreply 82November 5, 2018 12:35 AM

[quote]I don't think it is dead (not like Fassbender's)

Wait, Fassbender's career is dead?

by Anonymousreply 83November 5, 2018 2:34 AM

Not half as dead as Hiddleston’ after the Loki role Fassy beat his ex gf badly. Just like any irish: violent and a drunk, and some lf his latests films flopped. He lost millions with that videogame film. So, not dead but no future outside Magneto.

by Anonymousreply 84November 5, 2018 5:29 PM

Fassbender and Hiddleston are both dreadfully overrated actors.

by Anonymousreply 85November 5, 2018 6:28 PM

R85 were

by Anonymousreply 86November 5, 2018 7:58 PM

Oh goody. Our resident Tom Hiddleston troll was getting her Tumblr-ass kicked in the other Tom Hiddleston thread, and then she took her anti-gay rhetoric over to Lipstick Alley where those bitches also schooled her, so now she's bumped up this thread from eons ago to "start over" in yet another pathetic attempt to shit stir.

by Anonymousreply 87November 5, 2018 8:01 PM

Accepting that Hiddleston can be gay and not straight is a step too big for most fans.

by Anonymousreply 88November 6, 2018 11:03 AM

is taylor swifts?

by Anonymousreply 89November 6, 2018 11:07 AM

I'm fine with him gay, straight, or bi. You're the one who seems to have the problem with it and you've already bumped up 3 threads on him this morning, all of which you started. Go back to troll-land and stay there permanently.

by Anonymousreply 90November 6, 2018 12:22 PM

R89 No, it looks like a curse to his gay ex boyfriends. Only Jake survived it.

by Anonymousreply 91November 7, 2018 7:08 PM

not dead, he will be back again as Loki- the qeer superhero- in Disney+ limited series. And many many Comic cons all over the world (next one Japan)

by Anonymousreply 92November 11, 2018 12:28 AM

Betrayal, Directed by Jamie Lloyd

Golden Globe and Olivier Award winner Tom Hiddleston stars in the Jamie Lloyd Company’s revival of Harold Pinter’s Betrayal, opening at London’s Harold Pinter Theatre for a strictly limited 12 week season from 5 March 2019.

With poetic precision, rich humour and an extraordinary emotional force, Betrayal charts a compelling seven-year romance, thrillingly captured in reverse chronological order. Described as “the greatest, and the most moving, of all Pinter’s plays” (Daily Telegraph), this production marks the culmination of the Jamie Lloyd Company’s ground-breaking Pinter at the Pinter season.

General on-sale is 9am Friday 30 November, with priority on-sale to all previous The Jamie Lloyd Company ticket bookers, Ambassador Theatre Group Theatre Card members and Pinter at the Pinter ticket holders at 9am Thursday 29 November.

It seems Tom's career is in fact, alive and well. Now take your ass back to whatever rock you slithered out from and let us have our DL back to the way it was meant to be, frau-free.

by Anonymousreply 93November 15, 2018 12:53 PM

who?

well she can dance.....pole dance.

by Anonymousreply 94November 15, 2018 1:48 PM

How much they get paid for them dum ass comic cons????

by Anonymousreply 95November 15, 2018 1:48 PM

Only frontal and anal nudity can save his career, in his next caper flick.

by Anonymousreply 96November 16, 2018 7:14 AM

R95 Must be in the thousands. Fassbender is joining the Con in Arizona next January himself too

by Anonymousreply 97November 27, 2018 4:30 AM

R96 Looking forward to that.

by Anonymousreply 98November 27, 2018 4:33 AM

R97 thousands of dollars?

by Anonymousreply 99November 27, 2018 6:24 PM

R95 I would say that he can easily get 500 000 $ for one Con event

by Anonymousreply 100December 6, 2018 8:09 PM

r95 thats a very good estimate

by Anonymousreply 101December 10, 2018 1:58 AM

Resurrected by Loki series and finally a theatre play. I think he seems a bit embarrased by those Comic Cons. The Japanese one had very weird moments. Still 500k is easy money.

by Anonymousreply 102December 17, 2018 3:19 AM

Maybe not "dead" but after the Swiftboating he took it's not in great shape.

by Anonymousreply 103December 17, 2018 12:32 PM

I don't get the fascination of DL for this guy. He looks better with dark hair through

by Anonymousreply 104December 17, 2018 4:06 PM

[quoter][R95] I would say that he can easily get 500 000 $ for one Con event

Jensen and Jared are dialing his number as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 105December 17, 2018 4:09 PM

He has crazy stans constantly stalking him in his neighbourhood, women showing up in wedding dresses at cons for him and nearly three years later people are still making fun of him because of Hiddleswift. His dead career is the least of his problems.

by Anonymousreply 106December 17, 2018 10:37 PM

R106 maybe in the past, but nowadays? With his star gone? After the swif debacle? He wished! I doubt he is “constantly stalked”

by Anonymousreply 107December 27, 2018 7:15 PM

I believe the Marvel actors are contractually obligated to attend the comic cons. At least the really big ones in major cities. It has to be uncomfortable for them to be around their most insane and delusional fans. But like others have said, the money is amazing for two days of work.

by Anonymousreply 108December 27, 2018 7:41 PM

R107 has obviously never visited LSA, tumblr and twitter.

by Anonymousreply 109December 27, 2018 9:44 PM

He is not contractually obligated, except maybe the one in San Diego, where even RDJ has to attend. R108 pulled that out of her ass. They are there for money. I don't know if it is 500,000, but it is a nice chunk of change, even you have to deal with a bunch of sad, unstable people.

It is amazing how much Hiddleston's career was set back after the endless debacles of 2016 and 2017. No new casting since 2015 outside of playing Loki for the154th time. I took a look at LSA, per r109. They are certifiable. They even have the nerve to talk about his lack of work as being very "picky". Delusional. More like TPTB saw him being treated like a little bitch, then moping around like one and has taken a pass on him. That play is something you do between screen gigs, but beggars can't be choosers.

by Anonymousreply 110December 28, 2018 11:44 PM

r110 appearing at cons is in the contract for many actors, Marvel and otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 111December 29, 2018 12:37 AM

Taylor helped burn his career. but I think good roles were dissapearing in front of his eyes anyways because he bombed most films as a leading man. I can think of the singer, Kong, high rise, crimson peak, everything but Loki and the manager ( and not because of him) Even without Tay Tay he wouldnt have Cumbers career, and be miles away from other actors his generation

by Anonymousreply 112December 29, 2018 12:42 AM

R111, bullshit. They are they are for the money. You are telling me that Marvel is making RDJ, Evans, Rudd, Boseman (the actual bigger stars) regularly attend some ranfom cons like in Arizona of all place? Bullshit. But it is a good opportunity for the lesser stars to make some easy money if they want it. Especially if you are not getting much work between Marvel movies. Everybody in a Marvel movie is not getting paid untold riches. No way Hiddleston got 8 million for 5 minutes of work in Infinity Wars. Insane fan talk.

The only con that you can really make an established actor contractually attend is San Diego and even some of them squirrel their way out of it.

by Anonymousreply 113December 29, 2018 1:12 AM

I've read that actors on CW make more at cons and autograph shows than they do from acting on their shows. They make 50 to 100K in a day. Hiddleston could make a lot more. The actors are contracturally obligated to go to the big cons like San Deago. They get paid by the studio for that. They get paid to tweet about their films as well. Sometimes publicity is built into the over all contract, sometimes it's worked out separately, but they aren't doing it for free. The only time actors do this stuff for free is if they're starting out and need the exposure, it's an Oscar bait project, or they're getting a part of the profits.

by Anonymousreply 114December 29, 2018 1:31 AM

Kong - Skull Island, did not flop, but he was wildly miscast as a tough military leader in the jungle. Please. But the next two films in that Monsterverse look to be massive compared to Skull Island. As in top 5 of year massive.

People flop all the time and still get plenty of work, but these same people did not become subjects of mainstream mockery they bought on themselves to get a leg up in the industry. It was just all too desperate and try hard. Pandering to silly girls and sad middle age women. That is not leading man material. All that training and he will be a comic book character for life unlike actors such as is Bale, Keaton or others who are not solely identified with their comicbook roles. But as hard as it is for actors to make it, he has lived a dream existence.

by Anonymousreply 115December 29, 2018 1:47 AM

[quote]They are they are for the money. You are telling me that Marvel is making RDJ, Evans, Rudd, Boseman (the actual bigger stars) regularly attend some ranfom cons like in Arizona of all place? Bullshit.

Not ALL cons, but the big ones in big cities like San Diego Comic Con, yes they have to attend.

by Anonymousreply 116December 29, 2018 2:01 AM

I'm surprised his Hank Williams film didn't do better and/or get him some awards, he actually did a good job in it, did his own singing and totally looked the part. Those are the type of pictures that usually rack up the awards.

by Anonymousreply 117December 29, 2018 2:10 AM

R114. Who the fuck said he was going to all these little cons for free? He had not gotten any new gigs for years, and it is relatively easy money if you can stomach the stans.

But you proved my point. CW level people are going to these no name cons, not the major stars. Or at least stars with better agents or are in demand. Those people have a steady supply of luxury goods endorsements that pay big money. I rather get paid to sit in a newly unveiled Porsche in a luxury hotel showroom while sipping champagne or a Johnnie Walker Blue than be in some old armory with some weird chick wearing a wedding dress pretending we just got married.

by Anonymousreply 118December 29, 2018 2:16 AM

You dumb cunt, r116. I already said the star of the movie is usually only contractually obligated to San Diego and not these armpit cons. Why are trying to correct me? Probably one of his dumb ass fans who thinks his career is still bustling while he waits for the perfect script to fall into his lap. Or, he is making Alfonso Cuaron sweat it out while he decides if he will be in his next film.

by Anonymousreply 119December 29, 2018 2:44 AM

r119 I said only the major cons in my original post. You're the one who went on a tangent.

Anyway, those cons are full of freaks. Look at these fucking people! You know the actors have to talk shit about these weirdos amongst themselves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120December 29, 2018 3:35 AM

No r120, I read you post correctly. NONE of the big stars are contractually obligated to go to ANY of the cons in even MAJOR cities, which is the opposite of what you wrote. Did you see RDJ or Evans or Larson or Lupita or Ruffalo at the recent Tokyo or New York cons? No. And you never will. San Diego is it at the most. They don't need to hustle like that and they won't. Hiddleston obviously still does. Same with Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan. No way they do these all these cons because they love spending time with these freaks.

I would be begging my manager to get a lucrative endorsement deal so that I could ditch the cons. I wouldn't care if it was a toothpaste commercial and I had to fake grin all day until my lips hurt.

by Anonymousreply 121December 29, 2018 4:55 AM

r121 they attend the big city cons if their schedule permits. They've been to some of the NY and London ones in the past.

by Anonymousreply 122December 29, 2018 5:16 AM

Is Tom considered a nice guy?

by Anonymousreply 123December 29, 2018 9:28 AM

R123, take your ass back to Tumblr where you can flick your clit with other desperate fans and talk about Loki.

R122, you just proved my point. They are not attending or trying to attend these cons. They are too busy or high up on the food chain be bothered with NY or London, much less some shithole in the Midwest. Most of them like Evans and RDJ are happy to be done with it. Notice that the stars attending careers are not really going anywhere or they are just getting started.

by Anonymousreply 124December 29, 2018 12:11 PM

R120 isn't a freak, necessarily, that's just someone playing dress-up as a character. If you've never been involved in fandom I can see where you'd think the weekenders who dress up a couple times a year are the same as the actual freaks, but they're not.

The freaks are truly saddled with personality disorders. They don't just dress up, they act out, and usually very inappropriately.

I'd hope that Hiddleston's people would have vetted the cosplayers getting their photos taken and only had him approach someone who probably hadn't memorized his entire family tree and last five known addresses.

by Anonymousreply 125December 29, 2018 12:16 PM

[quote]Those are the type of pictures that usually rack up the awards.

Not anymore. Biopics really hit the wall a few years ago, about 2014 really. People and critics were fed up by THEORY OF EVERYTHING and SELMA and IMITATION GAME and AMERICAN SNIPER being lazy Oscar bait, but other biopic projects were already in the works. By the time they were released, most were shrugged off.

Hiddleston is a decent character actor who is trying to be a major superstar lead, and he's just not made for that. He was so good in ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE and HIGH-RISE, he really needs to stick to those kinds of roles. Actors like Alan Rickman did incredibly well by sticking with character parts mostly and then having HARRY POTTER movies on the side for the exposure and the salaries.

by Anonymousreply 126December 29, 2018 12:24 PM

So what is the DL consens on him? Gay, bi, curious, confirmed bachelor, straight?

by Anonymousreply 127December 29, 2018 12:34 PM

yup, after kissin lez taylor swifts ass for a bit of bearding, his credibility and sex appeal is ZERO

by Anonymousreply 128December 29, 2018 1:05 PM

He was terrible in High Rise. Every other character was far more interesting. Even bland Sierra Miller. I was surprised.

The difference is that Rickman had raw sex appeal. You can't learn, acquire or fake that, just like class. And maybe I missed it, but Rickman seemed lowkey without hijinks. You never seemed to hear from him except for promoting projects.

by Anonymousreply 129December 29, 2018 2:30 PM

Yes. it is.

by Anonymousreply 130December 29, 2018 3:56 PM

I’ve got tickets to see him on stage in April.

Envious, ladies & gents?

(Sorry, I just couldn’t bring myself to write the classic DL taunt “Jealous, bitches?” - but be sure to know that that is the real sentiment behind my post).

by Anonymousreply 131December 29, 2018 4:25 PM

[quote] So what is the DL consens on him? Gay, bi, curious, confirmed bachelor, straight?

R127, I’ll be sure to ask him for that important clarification directly after his stage performance. I’ll report back here if he blesses us with an answer or at least non-verbal confirmation:

If he frowns - straight, if he raises an eyebrow - gay.

What other questions should I ask him at the stage door, fellow DLers?

by Anonymousreply 132December 29, 2018 4:34 PM

R132, will he ever book another role that is not Loki? Thanks, luv!

God, his stans would go ballistic and be would turn into even more of a hermit.

by Anonymousreply 133December 29, 2018 5:23 PM

He must be jealous as hell of Cumberbatch.

by Anonymousreply 134December 29, 2018 5:35 PM

Lucky you r131. Please come back and tell us of your adventure.

by Anonymousreply 135December 29, 2018 5:39 PM

Cumberbatch was smart enough to know when to shake off the crazies if he wanted to advance his career.

by Anonymousreply 136December 29, 2018 6:03 PM

R132 - you can ask him this question: what the hell were you thinking about that time with Taylor Swift?

by Anonymousreply 137December 29, 2018 6:07 PM

No, Cumberbatch was more talented and had quite an interesting look about him. He was popular with the mainstream public, not just the crazy sad female fans.

by Anonymousreply 138December 29, 2018 6:09 PM

Make sure to wear a I-love-TS-shirt when approaching him R132 and tell us about his reaction.

by Anonymousreply 139December 29, 2018 6:38 PM

Stop bugging me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140December 29, 2018 6:45 PM

Wow. So much hatred for a complete stranger. No wonder people hate gays.

by Anonymousreply 141December 29, 2018 7:10 PM

R138 is delusion. What successful movie has Cumberbatch made that was not an already very popular IP like Marvel that would have worked regardless of the lead? Hmmm. ..none. Let's see how well he does without Pigstein backing him. I wonder the same about Vikander.

by Anonymousreply 142December 29, 2018 9:38 PM

Interesting. I didnt know that Weinstein was behind Cumberbatch success. He is talented, but he has been very lucky too. He manages to nail those asperger characters. And quickly pocketed the most suitable roles to show off his abilities. I always suspected he was himself a bit Asperger. And Tom has something too, like not entirely “normal”

by Anonymousreply 143December 29, 2018 10:14 PM

R127 Lets not open that debate because we will never know and most people have their own take at it and wont accept others views. For some he is 100% gay -no discussion and for many fans he is “just the perfect boyfriend”

by Anonymousreply 144December 29, 2018 10:19 PM

Is this a normal thread? I mean, you can have a real down to earth discussion here or is it lile the previous thread? Also, where’s the theatre boy?

by Anonymousreply 145December 29, 2018 10:24 PM

R141, what bought you a gay site since you are mad at gays because they are making fun of an actor who made a fool out of himself for months? And if this is "hate" you live the most superficial, meaningless life.

Spoiler--he is never going to know you or fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 146December 30, 2018 12:22 AM

At least he doesn't beard anymore.

by Anonymousreply 147December 30, 2018 1:50 AM

Give it time, R147

by Anonymousreply 148December 30, 2018 1:57 AM

Yes, his career, as he knows it, is gasping its last breath.

by Anonymousreply 149December 30, 2018 2:17 AM

I think he can continue to work. He just isn't going to have that big leading man career he hoped for. He's more of a character actor and should lean in to that. He isn't known as difficult, is he? That can damage your career if you aren't a box office draw.

by Anonymousreply 150December 30, 2018 2:29 AM

whats she doin on stage? reading Love Letters with ms swifty???

by Anonymousreply 151December 30, 2018 2:44 AM

The “betrayal” play seems a bit boring and outdated, but the author is among the best ( just came out in a manual about diplomacy in a case about diplomats) Tom is as idiot as to post a video about it - without explaining ir was a play- on the day after May’s Brexit plan. Exactly when anyone had the word Betrayal ( to the country) on their mouths.

by Anonymousreply 152December 30, 2018 2:50 AM

R150 with the play he is trying the romcom path. He could be a “bad guy” actor with success. But I think he pays for those monthly rumours about Bond.

by Anonymousreply 153December 30, 2018 2:55 AM

"I would say that he can easily get 500 000 $ for one Con event."

That sounds like so much bullshit. I'm sure easy money can be made at these crazy Cons but hundreds of thousands of dollars? For doing what? Showing up and signing autographs?

by Anonymousreply 154December 30, 2018 3:00 AM

Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus make anywhere from $250,000 - $300,000 per con appearance, so it's not unfeasible that a movie actor in a big franchise would make more than that.

by Anonymousreply 155December 30, 2018 3:02 AM

[quote] What successful movie has Cumberbatch made that was not an already very popular IP like Marvel that would have worked regardless of the lead? Hmmm. ..none. Let's see how well he does without Pigstein backing him.

Cumberbatch has more range than Hiddleston, and even with Doctor Strange, I can't imagine anyone playing that role better than him (same with RDJ in Iron Man). Most English actors who can pull off a convincing American accent have greater success in Hollywood films than those who can't. Hiddleston was embarrassingly bad in that Hank Williams biopic, and it exposed his limitations as an actor.

Outside of Loki, he's a one-note actor.

by Anonymousreply 156December 30, 2018 3:10 AM

"Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus make anywhere from $250,000 - $300,000 per con appearance."

Again I ask: doing what? What do they get paid for doing that would command that kind of money? It's not like it's an acting gig.

by Anonymousreply 157December 30, 2018 3:17 AM

R157 They get paid to sign autographs and take selfies with fans.

by Anonymousreply 158December 30, 2018 3:32 AM

Article on actors and conventions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159December 30, 2018 3:41 AM

o plz....they lucky to get 50 grande for a show,, only the biggies get that

by Anonymousreply 160December 30, 2018 3:47 AM

"They get paid to sign autographs and take selfies with fans."

I can't believe anybody could make $500,000 just doing THAT. How much do they charge for an autograph and selfie, $10,000 a pop?

by Anonymousreply 161December 30, 2018 3:59 AM

What kind of a fucking idiot would pay some stupid actor $50, or $75, or $100 for a a photo and an autograph? How can anybody be that foolish? Oh well, it's their money, I guess they can throw it down the toilet at some dumb convention if they want to. $195 for a photo with Mark Hamill? I wouldn't walk across the street to see him, much less pay money to have his name on a photo.

by Anonymousreply 162December 30, 2018 4:08 AM

Fans will shell out big bucks for a brief meeting and a photos. I also don't understand it, I wouldn't pay a dime to get a photo with anyone, but to each their own.

by Anonymousreply 163December 30, 2018 4:29 AM

You wished anybody paid you 500 k for a selfie.

by Anonymousreply 164December 30, 2018 5:09 AM

"You wished anybody paid you 500 k for a selfie."

If I was a working actor I wouldn't want anything to do with conventions. Posing for photos with the pathetic people there would creep me out.

by Anonymousreply 165December 30, 2018 5:12 AM

Year or two before Leonard died, a con in Chicago had photo ops with Kirk + Spock listed at $300. That’s after ticket price. Fucking crazy.

by Anonymousreply 166December 30, 2018 5:25 AM

Your prejudice creeps me out.

by Anonymousreply 167December 30, 2018 5:28 AM

He’s about to be in a production of Betrayal. No one has been cast opposite him.

by Anonymousreply 168December 30, 2018 5:28 AM

Fuck you R124 all I did is ask if he was a nice guy so in fine DL tradition, Die in a grease fire!

by Anonymousreply 169December 30, 2018 6:50 AM

By all accounts he is a very nice person, it's not that he can't have a bad day or is a saint but in comparison to some inhabiting the industry he is firmly in a good-guy territory.

by Anonymousreply 170December 30, 2018 7:37 AM

From my understanding he's a nice guy, just a desperate, slightly delusional, fame-whoring one, is all.

by Anonymousreply 171December 30, 2018 8:05 AM

Still better than Kevin Spacey. Have you seen his Christmas video? LOL

by Anonymousreply 172December 30, 2018 5:12 PM

R172 Is it necessary to compare Kevin Spacey with Tom Hiddleston? Is it because they are both supposedly gay? One is a criminal and the other is a plain actor embarrasing himself (and close family) for money and fame. We will see what happens to him in the future. He might better keep a low profile for the rest of his days. Anytime he tries a comeback it backfires

by Anonymousreply 173December 30, 2018 7:11 PM

Alleged criminal, R173. Let’s at least wait for the court case to play out before dressing him in the orange jumpsuit.

by Anonymousreply 174December 30, 2018 7:42 PM

Wow my career must be really dead if you discuss Kevin Spacey in MY thread.

by Anonymousreply 175December 30, 2018 7:48 PM

Do not worry, nothing bad will happen to Kevin Spacey. Mind my words he will get his third Oscar. In our society one can get away with a murder but not with a social blunder. So yes, Hiddles's career is dead, but then again unlike Cumberbatch or Fassbender who had Weinstein's support, Hiddles had only his good for nothing management. There will be no comeback for him.

by Anonymousreply 176December 30, 2018 8:06 PM

No weinstein but He had Brannagh. In this world everyone has some help to reach HB

by Anonymousreply 177December 30, 2018 8:20 PM

In the great scheme of things Branagh is nothing.

by Anonymousreply 178December 30, 2018 8:30 PM

The funny thing is that those people who condemn Hiddleston for his fame-whoring crime excuse Spacey for his "misconduct'. The difference is that Hiddleston has paid thrice for his crime and Spacey will pay nothing. It makes all the difference in the world, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 179December 30, 2018 8:42 PM

Does Spacey have a lot projects coming up? R179 who are these people defending Spacy and condemning Hiddelston? No one is really condemning him here, mostly just mocking him for his PR blunder. Everyone loves a good PR blunder. They're so public and it's so easy to see what went wrong.

by Anonymousreply 180December 30, 2018 9:01 PM

R179 Spacy got fired. Tom didn't get fired from anything he just didn't get hired for Bond. Spacy got cut out of and replaced in a completed film. He's also now facing criminal charges. Tom hasn't been arrested. I'm not sure how you're get to poor Tom has paid three times as much as Spacy. Spacy was older and had already had a very successful career before the scandal broke. Tom isn't being punished more, he just never had as much success. Tom could probably still get plenty of Hollywood work if he was pursuing it (spending time there and schmoozing) and he would settle for supporting parts or more TV. Spacy is pretty much unemployable.

by Anonymousreply 181December 30, 2018 9:10 PM

he will alwys alwys have a place on my hungry mouth.

by Anonymousreply 182December 30, 2018 10:29 PM

why is Kenneth Branagh despised so by his peers. tho he gay, he jus aint liked....so sad

by Anonymousreply 183December 30, 2018 10:31 PM

casting couch? R183

by Anonymousreply 184December 30, 2018 11:07 PM

"Mind my words he will get his third Oscar."

You're either a troll or crazy. Or maybe you're a crazy troll. Anyway, how is Spacey going to win a "third Oscar" when nobody wants to hire him? He's already a pariah.

by Anonymousreply 185December 30, 2018 11:14 PM

R185 Mel gibson made a comeback so you never know with HB and American society. Look at Trump

by Anonymousreply 186December 31, 2018 2:31 AM

R183 Like Tom he is a smug pretentious expert on Shakespeare and acting. They are both little more than Shakesperian Jesters. Still sometimes they give the impression of being the best, the most genuine actors. I think at least Tom has been overrated. He was ashtonishingly good in Spielberg War Horse but some other acting is meh. Deep Blue sea was easily his worst and...

by Anonymousreply 187December 31, 2018 2:35 AM

...likely, in a few decades he will still be remembered by the Tshirt tattoo. Forever a funny ridiculous embarrassment. For young and old generations he will be the Taylor old-looking brit fiasco. He looks different but even by his house there are graffitis of Taylor and when he is photographed is the same embarrassment again.

by Anonymousreply 188December 31, 2018 2:40 AM

I think he actually likes being the Shakespearean Jester somehow. And enjoyed being the talk of the town. It was LONG after when he must have realised he was a laugh and isolated himself. He doesnt deserve a career end for that. But he made a fool of himself globally

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189December 31, 2018 2:46 AM

Does anyone else think he is in a kind of autistic/ asperger spectrum? It is as if he couldnt understand others

by Anonymousreply 190December 31, 2018 2:47 AM

R187 He was good when he worked with talented directors like Steven Spielberg, Woody Allen and Ken Branagh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191December 31, 2018 2:49 AM

Remember when he was outed by that Vanity Fair Australia journo? He is Still working.

by Anonymousreply 192December 31, 2018 3:42 AM

And I wonder if his career, Tom’s, will die for good sooner than later. I dont see him coming out, nor marrying a woman, nor single until death. He just seems buried alive

by Anonymousreply 193December 31, 2018 3:46 AM

R192 Who outed who?

by Anonymousreply 194December 31, 2018 4:08 AM

R194 A journo outed Tom Hidds on twitter saying an indiwire cinema journo had told him that he was GAY. I read it in a post here on DL ages ago. She is Indian and he is a Vanity Fair Australia journo.

by Anonymousreply 195December 31, 2018 4:17 AM

Thanks R195, so Tom is really gay?

by Anonymousreply 196December 31, 2018 4:24 AM

Apparently he is, almost case closed

by Anonymousreply 197December 31, 2018 4:42 AM

So now, all of a sudden Tom's career is not as dead as you cheerfully announced at the beginning of the thread. The fact is that in the past three years TH hasn't been hired for anything, and he doesn't have 'a lot projects coming up' either (see Spacey). In people's eyes social ineptness is a worse crime than criminal offence. There is no point in denying it.

by Anonymousreply 198December 31, 2018 4:55 AM

Exactly “social ineptedness” sounds like Asperger. He is about to star in a new production and the Loki series. He is deemed dead, just like his character, but he might temporarily wake up. Long term I doubt it

by Anonymousreply 199December 31, 2018 5:59 AM

Mel Gibson was triple A-list sex symbol with the box office and awards to back it up. Why is he being compared to Hiddleston? Most people only know him as Loki or Taylor's ex who made fool out of himself.

Unless you are in London, no one cares about that play. It is not iconic like Death of a Salesman or Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. And the pay is probably nice, but do you really think he saw his primary acting gig is playing the same cartoon/comicbook character ten years later when his peers have moved on in their careers to a variety of other shows and films?

by Anonymousreply 200December 31, 2018 12:49 PM

Learn to read, moron. We compared Spacey and Gibson. What peers? Cumberbatch is going to play Dr. Strange till death for money and exposure and Redmayne has glued himself to Newt Scamander for years to come for the very same reasons.

by Anonymousreply 201December 31, 2018 1:19 PM

It's so strange. Tom didn't murder anybody, he didn't rape or sexually harass anyone. Yes, he had a disastrous relationship that was either bearding or some adolescent fantasy connection that evaporated in 3 months. He wore a stupid t-shirt at the beach. Why is that enough to destroy a career? And I say this as someone who used to like his performances, but now whenever I see him all I think is 'thirsty idiot.' I, too, no longer care for Hiddleston, even though he did nothing illegal or even immoral, really.

The whole celebrity/audience connection works in mysterious ways.

by Anonymousreply 202December 31, 2018 1:32 PM

I thought the Night Manager was coming back for a second series.

by Anonymousreply 203December 31, 2018 1:43 PM

It is quite simple actually. If you think you left high-school, sorry to disappoint you, you didn't. Jocks prosper and geeks and nerds are losers. Hiddles is a goofy nerd who wanted to be a part of a cool kids clique. He failed and you bash him for forgetting his place. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 204December 31, 2018 1:47 PM

And his crazy frau fans who can't stand him being with a woman because it ruins their delusional fantasies were the ones who made the most stink about the t-shirt (It even sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?) And then Swift's PR people threw TH under the bus. And that's the end of the story.

by Anonymousreply 205December 31, 2018 2:00 PM

Stupid cunt stan at r201. I did read, but you dumbass can't comprehend. The discussion regarding Spacey was how his behavior has blacklisted him and why is Tom appears to be getting somewhat the same treatment despite not doing anything near as bad. Gibson was then bought into the conversation as another person who was blacklisted. Regardless, rest easy that your innocent lamb will never ever see any of the box office, acclaim or regard Spacey and Gibson had on their worst days. He will still be attending shithole cons and taking fake wedding pics with arrested development weirdos.

Despite being in big franchises, Redmayne and Cumbrrbatch are actually booking and filming projects outside of them while Tom is yet again pulling out that black matted greasy wig again because that is his only gig. They are going to the Oscars and the Emmys and he is booking a flight to Topeka, Kansas.

by Anonymousreply 206December 31, 2018 2:20 PM

Night Manager hired some new writers who seemed to have quit, so that project is in limbo to say the least with no forward momentum. The director said she was not coming back.

by Anonymousreply 207December 31, 2018 2:28 PM

Arrested development weirdos? Still better than a faggot. And no, it's not orientation, it's your prejudice, hatred and bias that you project on others to feel better about yourself.

by Anonymousreply 208December 31, 2018 3:14 PM

The Imitation Game was Weinstein's product, so was Ben's Oscar nomination. He was good but nothing extraordinary. Cumberbatch is a better actor than Hiddleston though at least on screen not so sure about the stage.

by Anonymousreply 209December 31, 2018 4:03 PM

R207 Good, wasn’t looking forward to season two.

by Anonymousreply 210December 31, 2018 4:06 PM

I loved the Night Manager. I'd love a second season.

by Anonymousreply 211December 31, 2018 4:13 PM

R209 they are just different type of actors. I was looking for reviews to read if Cumber or Hidds were good on a Shak play. And all I got as critics consensus is was that the truly good one was Andrew Scott and again that in the Hollow Crown -where both Cumb and Hidds appear- the best was Ben Wishaw who is openy gay by the way.

by Anonymousreply 212December 31, 2018 5:54 PM

I think Tom is good in some acts and on others he is pretty average. He has the body, eyes, manners and accent. But the Deep Blue Sea shows basic acting skills. He is no that great. And same for Redmayne.

by Anonymousreply 213December 31, 2018 5:57 PM

I saw both Tom's Coriolanus and Ben's Hamlet. I found the former more compelling. Hiddleston is an example of someone who has above average talent and makes it up with hard work. So I am looking forward to Betrayal. Not to ask him about his orientation or Swift. Don't throw stones at me but I think it's immaterial. He should have stayed an actor and shouldn't have tried to be a movie star. He has some charm but no looks or connections for that.

by Anonymousreply 214December 31, 2018 6:35 PM

Cumberbatch has no charm whatsoever and his career is gangbusters.

by Anonymousreply 215December 31, 2018 6:36 PM

Nah. His career's not dead, it's just not red-hot in the States the way it was for a few minutes.

He can always get work in the BBC, ITV world or on the stage.

by Anonymousreply 216December 31, 2018 6:39 PM

And that would be fine work, r216, but the open begging to be in Star Wars, Bond and other shenanigans showed that he wanted a huge HW career. Must be a huge disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 217December 31, 2018 7:01 PM

He got PWNED by the Bond people when they publicly said he wasn't masculine enough for the role. Ouch!

by Anonymousreply 218December 31, 2018 7:03 PM

It would suck if Taylor Swift really did ruin his career because you know that stupid shirt was her idea.

by Anonymousreply 219December 31, 2018 7:05 PM

No way @ R189! I had no idea that people had done that in his neighborhood. Burn!

[quote]The whole celebrity/audience connection works in mysterious ways.

One requires no rational reason to dislike, hate, or turn on others.

by Anonymousreply 220December 31, 2018 7:38 PM

I am no fan of Swift. Everyone and their dog knows how she is. Or do a five minute Google search. He could have gotten past it if he had not done those awful photoshoots, embarrassing speech and interview. Not to mention him walking around like a grieving hobo widow. What studio exec is going to put a whipped dog instead of an alpha in a leading man role, especially if there is s romance aspect to it?

by Anonymousreply 221December 31, 2018 8:10 PM

he's no better or worse than most actors today,but the fact of the matter is hes just not good looking or charismatic enough to be the star he wanted to be. Im sure he can get plenty of work if he chose to,just not as the STAH.

by Anonymousreply 222December 31, 2018 8:17 PM

R221 has it. It was a combo of everything that's turned industry people off. The obviously fake relationship + heart vest + award speech + embarrassing interview about how their 3 month love was so true probably sunk him.

I have a friend whose parents retired to Aldeburgh. They know his mother and have met him. Before Taylor they'd never seen him with a woman or heard about a girlfriend from his mother so they just assumed he was gay. Word coming from his mother is that it was a 100% real relationship and he was broken up about it. Friend's parents still think he's gay and mum is covering.

by Anonymousreply 223December 31, 2018 8:39 PM

Well, you know here we are talking about the guy who let a stalker hold his dog's leash unsuspecting it was a stalker. His neighbourhood is swarming with them. Being an idiot is not a crime though it is a pity.

by Anonymousreply 224December 31, 2018 9:05 PM

Even if it was a real relationship, the problem was how it was publicity conducted like they where an offshoot of the Kardashians. Plenty of entertainers date each other but are low key about it and don't pander to the press about it, especially in the early stages.

by Anonymousreply 225December 31, 2018 9:06 PM

Hiddleston still has issues with proving himself, going back to daddy issues because his father didn't respect him being an actor. Plus the parents divorcing and dumping him at boarding school which he had a difficult time with. So he tries too hard to prove himself greater and greater and it usually backfires. But he's book smart and (apparently) a nice guy. He just need to prioritize and keep some common sense about him. No more nonsensical stunts.

by Anonymousreply 226December 31, 2018 9:09 PM

R224 She thought he was heterosexual and open to a relationship with a woman. She was also fooled!

by Anonymousreply 227January 1, 2019 1:02 AM

Still, I think he swang both ways until his brief “retirement” R223 sounds plausible. Many think he is gay. I think his deep core is asperger/autistic so neutral gender. They swing to whatever calls their attention, man, woman. It is different than a real gay inside, his sexuality is neutral, it is simoly not there. That is why obssesive with his own image. Bottomless need for attention. Empry insides. So “gay” well he might enjoy homosexual sex just like any other sexual experience. But not see the other person as a man, just another human being neutral

by Anonymousreply 228January 1, 2019 3:34 AM

Just to say than he might be more of a weirdo than gay or hetero

by Anonymousreply 229January 1, 2019 4:16 AM

Hm, he does act sometimes like someone who is out of touch with reality.

by Anonymousreply 230January 1, 2019 11:02 AM

He's an actor, they are sometimes not the most in touch people.

by Anonymousreply 231January 1, 2019 11:06 AM

Does anyone outside of the Marvel universe even recognise this guy's name?

by Anonymousreply 232January 1, 2019 11:06 PM

R232 Taylor fans and non fans who watched him embarrass himsellf enough. Also the Mirror readers - mature readers- as the potential top bet for Bond ( news yesterday which i think he pays for)

by Anonymousreply 233January 2, 2019 8:06 AM

Dude, do you really follow the guy this closely as to check out news on him on a daily basis? I mean no offence but have you ever thought of finding a more substantial hobby?

by Anonymousreply 234January 2, 2019 9:05 AM

[quote]Unless you are in London, no one cares about that play. It is not iconic like Death of a Salesman or Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

'Betrayal' was deemed good enough for Mike Nichols to direct as his last ever Broadway production. It's vulgar and stupid to expect a well-known actor just to wait around in the expectation of landing a lead in a play you deem 'iconic.'

Pinter is rightly revered, as the Nobel committee confirmed. The ongoing season of his work in London packed with fine talents underlines this. 'Betrayal' will sell out, and improve TH's reputation.

by Anonymousreply 235January 2, 2019 9:06 AM

I see bizarrely placed Hiddleston drops every month or so on movie sites that he is "Now The Front Runner For Bond!" Seems greatly forced and paid for by his camp.

by Anonymousreply 236January 2, 2019 9:16 AM

He makes himself readily available for the Graham Norton show where he appears to take himself too seriously and tries too hard to be funny. Cringeworthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237January 2, 2019 12:57 PM

Frankly speaking, all celebs on these shows look and act like retards. That's the point - to be on the same level as the audience.

by Anonymousreply 238January 2, 2019 1:11 PM

R144 to bad he can't get any girlfriend R154 did you see how much one has to pay to get an autograph with Hideouston on this stupid con, around 550$ and around 10000 people showed up on last one so do the math maybe? R155 thank you Also he did bought a house in Hampshire so he DOES need this money. He did 4 cons in a row and no one forced him to do so. I hope this Lokie series be good, they must paid him nice in order for him go back on instagram.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239January 2, 2019 5:41 PM

Victoria/Shaitana, is that you? Please, return to your tumblr lair, wacko.

by Anonymousreply 240January 2, 2019 5:56 PM

R235, is the dumbest fan cunt stan. Mike Nichols has been dead for five years snd obviously not directing this play. But when he did he had an Oscar winner and a world wide acclaimed leading man as leads. This one will star names lead by a has been currently bilking stupid fans out of hundreds and thousands of dollars to stand next to him in the basement of an auditorium.

And you better believe Hiddleston crawling back to the theater because he can't get other decent roles on screen.

by Anonymousreply 241January 2, 2019 11:02 PM

The simple answer is that the Swift thing turned him into a joke.

by Anonymousreply 242January 2, 2019 11:17 PM

Milking fans? So what? Why do you worry so much about other people's money? If they can afford then let them. Has been? Once again you overdramatize. Not that I disagree with you but your reaction is way too emotional. Just chill out.

by Anonymousreply 243January 2, 2019 11:26 PM

R234 R236 It is everywhere. Movie websites, i read the mirror and daily mail and it is regularly in the top news well above Theresa Mays plans. Almost like paying page 3 of tabloids to ask for a role as Bond.

by Anonymousreply 244January 3, 2019 12:07 AM

Tom will never be Bond.

by Anonymousreply 245January 3, 2019 12:14 AM

R245 It is obvious that is what is most shocking. Two options, either the average brit goes to betting houses and chooses Tom for Bond (? ) or it is ad placement. Keeps him relevant? I think he tries it all.

by Anonymousreply 246January 3, 2019 12:51 AM

Christ. That is really sad if he's still floating stories about being the Bond front runner. Let it go dude.

by Anonymousreply 247January 3, 2019 2:04 AM

He fell flat in Deep Blue Sea because he just wasn't old enough/mature enough for that particular part, it came way too early in his career. People forget that he was the one winning theatre awards long before Cumberbatch's star began to rise so I'm not sure why people think Cumberbatch is the better actor. BC was good in Sherlock but lackluster as Hamlet. Beyond that. there are a couple of Hiddleston's fans who have made it their life's mission to try and destroy him on gossip sites like this one because they can't get over the Swift thing which they view as some kind of awful betrayal. He's no sexual criminal like Spacey or bigot like Mel Gibson. The autistic/aspergers discussion and asexual bullshit is the standard butthurt fangirl talk because they desperately want their pretend boyfriend to suffer from the same disorders they do. It's possible that he does have Boarding School Syndrome (well known in the UK) which can make it difficult for a boarding school kid to form long-term, trusting relationships with their partners (gay or straight).

And here's why this thread has popped back up and the slamming and smearing has begun again in earnest is that Hiddleston was seen in Paris on NYE. With a woman. They lose their collective shit when he goes anywhere near a female yet at the same time come here insisting he's gay and his career is in tatters. He's doing a play. He's signed for a series and seems to be relaunching his career. They think this will somehow damage their chances to be his next girlfriend (ha ha ha). See, I told you they were batshit.

by Anonymousreply 248January 3, 2019 3:19 AM

He also fell flat in Deep Blue Sea because instead of conveying nuanced emotion, he SCREAMED TO SHOW US HE WAS ANGRY OR ANNOYED! It was tedious to sit through and gave me second-hand embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 249January 3, 2019 3:52 AM

I think he's good actor, from what Ive seen. at least you can tell he is putting effort into a role unlike many others. no idea about his personal life besides what I hear or see online, just like everyone else. he looks quite dapper in this little interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250January 3, 2019 4:06 AM

R248, please get out the house and take a walk or something. No one of note wants this man unless they are desperate to be embarrassed. See those con pics. But then you are the only one who thinks playing the same character for over ten years straight without it leading to bigger gigs, begging to be in star wars and Bond is career advancement. You are also a stalker. Good luck.

Oh, and since when had the entertainment industry ever been about being "nice"?

by Anonymousreply 251January 3, 2019 10:49 AM

Never, that's why TH was never to make it in HW with or without the t-shirt, he lacks edge and douchery. Don't you want to follow your own advice btw?

by Anonymousreply 252January 3, 2019 11:18 AM

R262, Nah, because I am not stalking this man this or his love life like you are currently doing, so I am good. I bet you know where exactly he has been this past week. You told on yourself.

Glad you realized his limitations. After the Bond producers openly gave him a tongue lashing, it is amazing how the rest of the industry fell in line except for Disney. But Disney will run Loki into the ground to get the last stan dollar.

by Anonymousreply 253January 3, 2019 11:59 AM

Shaitana is airing her rancid pussy all over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 254January 3, 2019 12:13 PM

I do think he has some disorder, call it aspergers, or some form of autism. It would explain his lifestyle- routines, alienation, inability to connect with people-, lack of understanding of social relations, some geeky, intelligence, harworking, and ackward relationships. I doubt his fans want him to have a disability. And i know deep down they know that he “looks like the perfect boyfriend” but will not be theirs. I also think many discovered him theough taylor, so if they are her fans, chances are they still like her, and love her new bf too. I R248 dont see bad blood about her fans, they pay the cons and he gets richer by the day. Are they trouble for you? Dont blame fraus for the gay rumours or Taylor embarrassment, he caused that to himself.

by Anonymousreply 255January 3, 2019 12:18 PM

I always knew it. His slightly above average talent, lack of connections in the industry, personal and personality issues, low iq and the last but not the least his shitty management and PR. You can call me a "stan cunt" since you are obsessed with this part of human anatomy to the point that you make reference to it in every second post but unlike you I don't feel the need to lash out on imaginary people.

by Anonymousreply 256January 3, 2019 12:33 PM

And back to the gay rumours, I dont think its the “jealous” “crazy” stans who invented them. When Thor was announced back in 2001 he was assumed gay and considered Brannagh boy ( there is a DL post dating back then) and there were BI gossip debating his gay casting couch gay. I give them credibility because virtually he had no fraus then.

by Anonymousreply 257January 3, 2019 12:38 PM

2009 Brannagh-Hiddleston sleeping together DL Post

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258January 3, 2019 12:50 PM

And I believe that Hemsworth fucked and fucks with Damon to get an access to the in-crowd, otherwise there is no other logical explanation as to why he is being paid 10 millions and more for his each and every flop as the leading man.

by Anonymousreply 259January 3, 2019 1:02 PM

R256 is saying she is not a resl person. That has to be a DL.

by Anonymousreply 260January 3, 2019 1:59 PM

First?

by Anonymousreply 261January 3, 2019 2:10 PM

I have to admit there is something utterly funny about remembering him with Taylor. Still hilarious and embarrasingly funny.

by Anonymousreply 262January 3, 2019 8:15 PM

"I do think he has some disorder, call it aspergers, or some form of autism. "

Actually, he's just an actor and actors tend to be plenty fucked up. Not everybody in the world has autism.

by Anonymousreply 263January 3, 2019 8:45 PM

He graduated with double firsts in Classics from Cambridge. He's not stupid. Naive? Possibly but the same people who are diagnosing autism etc. are the very same people who are far more fucked up themselves.

by Anonymousreply 264January 3, 2019 8:53 PM

Autism often creates geniouses - Einstein. Its precisely the fact that he is soooo geeky what made me thought that at first, and even his GG speech, it tool him time to get what he had just said was wrong, and read peoples faces - that’s specific lack of social skills is typical from autism. That would explain his whole life. Also, all actors tend to be a bit fucked up, autism, or even bipolarity can help a lot in creative careers

by Anonymousreply 265January 3, 2019 9:57 PM

Boy can't even do simple math problems per that video someone posted. Genius? And why is it someone makes a public narcissist ass out of himself, his "phD" fangirls diagnose him with something as serious as autism. Anything but being a famewhore.

by Anonymousreply 266January 3, 2019 10:56 PM

whats wrong with having a phd! He sure has something different in him. There are many narcissists in HB but none of them seem that out of touch with reality and unable to read people. I see all the characteristics and that for me fits better than any other explanation. Becuse one is needed, what he did all that year was an X file really imploded his career. And he has that “betrayal” play and the series and the endless cons. But he could have done better and at least maintain a good reputation.

by Anonymousreply 267January 3, 2019 11:07 PM

Also the series, well I guess it will have a good budget, but It doesnt look very promising I have to say.

by Anonymousreply 268January 3, 2019 11:08 PM

Exactly what I wrote, r267. Dumbasses like yourself are looking at some interviews or whatever and giving full medical diagnoses of s serious illness. If he really had issues people would cut him some slack. But he is your typical famewhore whose antics backfired. That is why the industry lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 269January 3, 2019 11:22 PM

Dear Tom defender at R265/R267 please do us all a favour and go back to tumblr! Tom is neither a secret genius nor autistic; he's not asexual and he will NEVER EVER marry you!

by Anonymousreply 270January 4, 2019 12:17 AM

what does an obvious condition have to do with any marriage. Who truly cares other than the fans - if they want to pay a fortune to show up on ComicCons dressed in wedding dresses, they are entittled. But they are surely not in a gay forum.

by Anonymousreply 271January 4, 2019 1:23 AM

There is a presentation of asexuality because that is what they are “inside” but they have many of them very very promiscuous sexual lifestyles with people of different genders and sexualities and often need to explore them ALL because they belong to none internally. That does not turn him in the “perfect heterosexual boyfriend” nor the “born gay” but he might like to live his life as gay if the outing was true. What we know if that he likely had sex with Brannagh, not with Taylor, and posibly with that susanne, sny other rumour doesnt sound too credible

by Anonymousreply 272January 4, 2019 1:30 AM

Autism has nothing to do with genius. It is a myth. In 9 times out of 10 it is a disability that affects all aspects of your life, in 1 out of 10 one can have an aptitude let's say for math (not necessary and if one is lucky) but when you are unable to socially network your talent is useless. Hiddleston does have an amazingly good memory and he is well-educated but he is not intelligent at all. His complete lack of common sense baffles me but what surprises me more is that for so many years none (his family, friends etc.) tried to talk some sense into him. Because one could see this trainwreck from the very beginning. I do believe he has some issues though so I am for a second chance. Frankly speaking he is just an idiot who harmed no one but himself.

by Anonymousreply 273January 4, 2019 5:12 AM

And where his handlers were I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 274January 4, 2019 5:18 AM

He is just happy his movie was a favorite of all the heroes of Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) International

by Anonymousreply 275January 4, 2019 5:55 AM

r254 Shaitana is not the only obsessed frau. Tumblr is full of these pathetic middle aged women who I suspect are posting here as well. Why can't they take up a hobby that is more normal like scrap-booking, quilting, needle point, etc?

by Anonymousreply 276January 4, 2019 6:08 AM

The stan thing is truly bizarre, and very sad. Becoming obsessed with a person you don't know at all. It's fucked up. Go channel your energies in more positive ways, like volunteering at an animal shelter or something worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 277January 4, 2019 2:26 PM

He's apparently got a handful of these crazy obsessed fraus who are the ones who have some very real mental illnesses. It's one thing to post bitchy gossip and commentary as one liners here on DL, it's quite another to repeatedly try to make a talking point happen. The crazies need to find a room, take a vote and decide if he's straight or gay, autistic or savant, can act or not, and then post their theories on their own site, stop invading this one! Now back to Tumblr and LSA and wherever you bitches came from. We have far more important things to discuss--like Madge's ass implants.

by Anonymousreply 278January 4, 2019 3:51 PM

R278 Maybe he is not straight or gay. How about fluid? Or bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 279January 5, 2019 12:07 AM

Who cares what he is. He's not even good looking! What the hell is all the fuss over?

by Anonymousreply 280January 5, 2019 12:14 AM

^^^^ THIS!!!! ^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 281January 5, 2019 12:37 AM

Tom's career really is dead. The stans have moved on to Rami Malek, yes even the dataloungers.

by Anonymousreply 282January 10, 2019 12:07 AM

The British public have apparently moved on to Richard Madden. He won the Globe in Hiddleston's category and didn't give an embarrassing speech. He's never bearded either, not obviously at least.

I'm not sure how people can look at his work over the past 2 years and not say his career is dead. He's got a superhro tv series on a streaming service and a play. Not much.

by Anonymousreply 283January 10, 2019 1:17 AM

He has had the best education money can pay, best network of contacts, enough money and a great tall lean body with beautiful blue expressive eyes and charismatic eyebrowz Yet a dead/ dying career, you really have to mess up.

by Anonymousreply 284January 10, 2019 1:43 AM

He is not autistic for god sake... He's entilted, narcissistic and ignorant. He is just so full of himself that he doesn't see his own mistakes because in his mind he doesn't make any. R273 you make a good point. I think he's family probably tried to talk to him but he simply does not listen. Also when he was working he kind of was always away on set etc. He doesn't seem to have many friends so I don't think there are so many people taht he can talk to, just his yes managment and yes assistant. Also this guy live in a bit diffrent world than most of us. How many of you have a stylist or a driver? Also 95% of my class in highschool was terrible at math, so what?

by Anonymousreply 285January 11, 2019 9:34 PM

His clothes and make up choices in the past make me doubt that he has his own stylist...

by Anonymousreply 286January 12, 2019 11:10 AM

He travels by tube

by Anonymousreply 287January 12, 2019 11:52 AM

Involving his mom in several of the Taylor Swift debacle pap walks was particularly cringeworthy and ill advised.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288January 12, 2019 11:55 AM

Agree, his management and PR agent should be sued for that.

by Anonymousreply 289January 12, 2019 12:14 PM

His mom sure wanted to believe it was true love more than anybody else. Tom dating a woman, finally!

by Anonymousreply 290January 12, 2019 6:00 PM

R286 Celebs have stylists for big events, ie Golden Globes, but on a daily basis they buy their own pijamas, jeans or trousers. And it shows

by Anonymousreply 291January 12, 2019 9:54 PM

R286 he has a stylist for the events, there even was an interview with her. R287 because he lives in London, but still for the events and some rehersals he gets a driver

And now the cringeyass picture compilation begins. He's doing another con. Finally someone decide to properly diagnose him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292January 12, 2019 10:11 PM

Now that's just embarrassing r292. How much $ do these freaks spend on these cons? They could probably pay all their bills with the money it costs.

by Anonymousreply 293January 12, 2019 10:13 PM

Tom involving his family in that TS charade and including his little niece was very off-putting. I do think his mom and probably sister loved the idea of him not only dating a woman, but one that's so famous. His mom looked incredibly pleased at the paps' attention on the family. I bet she really wants him to couple with someone super wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 294January 12, 2019 11:23 PM

there is some info from his cons “ looks like Tom's Saturday group C VIP and Sunday group B VIP are not sold out, so if you have $645 laying around...if I did my math correctly that will buy you 45seconds for a picture, and 3 minutes for an autograph (assuming that they do limit the amount sold to 20 as per the purchase site.”

by Anonymousreply 295January 12, 2019 11:27 PM

A new runiur suggests that Tom will ONLY be the NARRATOR for the Loki streaming series. As in talking from the afterlife.There might be some action scenes recycled from the films but the weight could be on a YOUNGER actor.

by Anonymousreply 296January 12, 2019 11:30 PM

Boy, he looks like shit at R292. He looks like he hasn't bathed or combed his hair in a week. And he looks damned uncomfortable. Ill, almost. It must be torture for him to do those cons, from the looks of it.

by Anonymousreply 297January 12, 2019 11:44 PM

Is this a scene from one of his movies? What is she doing? R292 The hair is greasy and the beard is struggle.

by Anonymousreply 298January 13, 2019 12:29 AM

I like his pointed nose, but his receading hairline makes him decades older. There was an enthusiasm for life and some happiness that trascended the screen in each interview or promo- I guess he was happy with the attention of fans and media. That is why fans still care about him. Because Loki is well dead as character and actor

by Anonymousreply 299January 13, 2019 12:58 AM

Isn't that photo at R292 showing him with one of his "fans" at one of those godawful cons? LOOK at him. He looked like he wishes he were dead.

by Anonymousreply 300January 13, 2019 2:09 AM

I can't imagine having to spend time pretending to be interested in these weirdo freaks who have no lives. One after another, all day long. It must be torture for the actors. Of course, the money's very good. But still, it must be humiliating.

by Anonymousreply 301January 13, 2019 2:12 AM

Hiddleston has been looking especially morose and depressed for some time now. the cons seem to make it worse.

by Anonymousreply 302January 13, 2019 2:16 AM

The Taylor Swift thing seemed to really derail his career and mood.

by Anonymousreply 303January 13, 2019 2:28 AM

Glad to read it. R26. I liked him in the Night Manager. He apparently got some bad PR advice. Hopefully, the animation film will give him the time to reassess. People who want to be actors rather than stars can be very satisfied with character work, especially if money isn't an issue.

by Anonymousreply 304January 13, 2019 2:55 AM

Meant is she recreating a scene from one of his movies. I recognize that it's a convention but don't understanding why she listening to his heart. Is she checking to see if his heart healed after Taylor broke it??

by Anonymousreply 305January 13, 2019 4:08 AM

Recently watched the newest king kong movie, and was pleasantly surprised to see a very sexy Hiddleston as the lead. He was sweaty and in a tight tshirt most of the film. Of course the movie was shit though, but it had some nice eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 306January 13, 2019 4:14 AM

She might be confirming his heartbeat because Loki is dead. There's a weird blurring of character and actor with some of those fans.

by Anonymousreply 307January 13, 2019 4:16 AM

I saw her as a crayzee MD paying for a 'fun' picture to post on her SM.

by Anonymousreply 308January 13, 2019 1:41 PM

If he hates the cons so much, he shouldn't do them. They just further degrade his brand, and he can't need the money that badly.

He'd be better off beating the bushes for prestige film/TV work in his native UK. He'll probably always be able to work there.

by Anonymousreply 309January 13, 2019 2:15 PM

Tom should stay away as far as possible from all the Marvel stuff and reinvent himself as a serious theater/character actor without cons, crazy fans and embarassing PR work.

by Anonymousreply 310January 13, 2019 2:27 PM

R308 Can you imagine this photo on the office wall next to her degree quals? Stay well clear, patients.

by Anonymousreply 311January 13, 2019 3:00 PM

R311 hahahah easy money endless embarrassment. He is easily becoming the King of comicons!

by Anonymousreply 312January 13, 2019 9:42 PM

Yes. He had a chance to make it in Hollywood but ruined it with his ridiculous speeches and his showmance with Taylor Swift. He should focus on theatre and cash in with Marvel when he can.

by Anonymousreply 313January 13, 2019 9:46 PM

I wasnt going to say his career is dead becuase of the series, but if he is only to be a narrator. He might as well just leave the public life.

by Anonymousreply 314January 13, 2019 11:37 PM

He never had a chance to make it in Hollywood, R315. Thor came out in 2011, The Avengers in 2012. Taylor Swift and the speeches happened in 2016. What did his Loki fame bring him between 2012 and 2016? The only high-profile movie he did was Crimson Peak, and he only got it because Cumberbatch dropped out, and it bombed. Everything else was second-rate and none of it was particularly successful. And compare it to Chris Hemsworth’s post-Avengers filmography. Yes, it’s a string of flops, but high-profile flops, and he keeps getting cast. The hard truth is he doesn’t have what it takes to be a leading man in Hollywood, but it’s a truth he doesn’t want to face. Long before the TS debacle, he said that all the scripts he got had Fassbender’s fingerprints all over them. If anything, fauxmance with TS was his last shot at Hollywood career. He went all in and lost his gamble.

by Anonymousreply 315January 14, 2019 7:43 AM

He did just do the King Kong film with Brie Larson. That was an A-List job even if the film was bad. Larson took it.

by Anonymousreply 316January 14, 2019 7:52 AM

Larson signed in July 2015, and got her Oscar in February 2016. It’s not like Captain Marvel franchise which she got after the success of Room.

by Anonymousreply 317January 14, 2019 8:01 AM

She signed two years before the film came out? Link?

by Anonymousreply 318January 14, 2019 8:08 AM

On July 23, 2015, Brie Larson was cast in the film to play the female lead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319January 14, 2019 8:24 AM

Hiddleston looked in utter pain with some of those fans and their foolishness.

by Anonymousreply 320January 14, 2019 2:01 PM

I was going to post some of those pics. The freak show and his attitude m. Man I feel sorry for him. He has downgraded to clown.

by Anonymousreply 321January 14, 2019 7:37 PM

Hemsworth fucks with Damon, since 2012. It was Damon who got him a nice agent from CAA. And Fassbender after his flops and without Weinstein is doing ComicCon in Arizona. 200$ for an autograph and there are empty seats. Unlike Hiddles Fass had true potential.

by Anonymousreply 322January 14, 2019 7:49 PM

At this point he should just come out and try to save/revive was is left of his career. He is basically finished with Marvel and has nothing to lose.

by Anonymousreply 323January 14, 2019 9:02 PM

Fassbender is pretty much over, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 324January 14, 2019 10:43 PM

Three of them ( Alicia Vikander too) are basically unemployable. Tom after Taylor debacle, Fass after his violent streak and Alicia for the Weinstein scandal. Other peers are now well above. Cumber was also helped by Weinstein but he keeps working and his wealth through acting now doubles Hiddleston

by Anonymousreply 325January 14, 2019 11:16 PM

Luckily they signed contracts long ago still active- magneto and loki roles still pay bills. But it is a matter of when will it be fully dead, or if a miracle is posible. Happens with Sam Heughan too, its all over after OT

by Anonymousreply 326January 14, 2019 11:20 PM

I don't know where Fassbender went wrong. Probably somewhere along Assassin's Creed and wanting to be a big movie star. I don't know if that's the proper path for him. Alicia Vikander's all but disappeared after Tomb Raider. Video game movies haven't been good for this couple, though to be fair they haven't been good for anyone.

Hiddleston's felt done for a while. A combination of I Saw the Light, his insufferable Golden Globes speech, and dating Taylor Swift. He's great as Loki, but he can't ride that wave forever can he?

by Anonymousreply 327January 14, 2019 11:48 PM

Tom's career started to go down the moment he agreed to be part of the pirate fairy movie, years before Hiddleswift.

by Anonymousreply 328January 15, 2019 12:00 AM

Fassbender is a nasty alcoholic. That's affected his career. People don't want to work with him.

by Anonymousreply 329January 15, 2019 12:27 AM

Fass beated his black girlfriend badly while drunk and jealous. That did not help

by Anonymousreply 330January 15, 2019 12:33 AM

Fassbender also came into her bedroom with a male friend and tried to force her into a threesome. The next morning, she found him passed out drunk in bed in his own waste matter and when she confronted him about the night before, he threw her over a chair.

Lovely guy.

by Anonymousreply 331January 15, 2019 12:37 AM

R328 Low quality children dvd Fairy one? It was a commitment with Disney, who owns Marvel, same as the Loki+ series. there was a long DL debate about why on earth he couldnt get better roles. I agree with that I think people in the industry stopped giving him good chances by that time.

by Anonymousreply 332January 15, 2019 12:39 AM

Sorry for the spoiler but Henry Cavill’s character dies in MI6

by Anonymousreply 333January 15, 2019 12:55 AM

apologies wrong post

by Anonymousreply 334January 15, 2019 12:56 AM

R331

Damn. But to be honest, this story with girlfriend was around even before he got famous in the USA. It happened around Basterds, i think. So it's not like it's brand new information that ruined his career.

by Anonymousreply 335January 15, 2019 1:45 AM

He reeks of loser.

You can’t wash that stench off.

by Anonymousreply 336January 15, 2019 2:12 AM

Michael Fassbender's career is so dead he's discussed in a Tom Hiddleston thread. He's also clubbing in New York sporting a TERRIBLE haircut.

by Anonymousreply 337January 15, 2019 2:13 AM

That ferret face should have kept him from getting as far up The Hollywood food chain as he did.

by Anonymousreply 338January 15, 2019 2:57 AM

Somebody explain to me why Hiddleston still work with this terrible publicist Luke Windsor? After all this one-by-one epic PR-fails, goddammit! And look at his face, I think he is rough slighting cunt. Tom, you should fire him, u need not pretty-face-secretary, but someone smart and wise, who can help to find the right way for your career. Seriously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339January 15, 2019 3:02 AM

openly gay and rumoured boyfriend for years

by Anonymousreply 340January 15, 2019 3:04 AM

to mix personal life and job - so unprofessionally, Tom is ignorant, what did he do in Cambridge? fucked up everything for couple years. good education does not help, his business strategy does't work. So saaad.

by Anonymousreply 341January 15, 2019 3:21 AM

Fassbender has a nasty temper, is a decent actor, and has a massive schlong; he'll always have a place in my heart. ❤❤

by Anonymousreply 342January 15, 2019 3:30 AM

Is he doing a play in London now?

by Anonymousreply 343January 15, 2019 3:41 AM

Oh, Jesus Christ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344January 15, 2019 3:46 AM

amazing Christmas video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345January 15, 2019 3:48 AM

What did Hiddleston and Fassbender discuss during their convention downtime? The right mix of scotch and soda to numb the pain. How to do the silly poses without sobbing.

by Anonymousreply 346January 15, 2019 4:31 AM

R343 from 2nd march

by Anonymousreply 347January 15, 2019 1:33 PM

[quote]What did Hiddleston and Fassbender discuss during their convention downtime?

How they stick pins into their Benedict Cumberbatch dolls.

by Anonymousreply 348January 15, 2019 1:35 PM

Benedict is a much better actor than both combined. But has a rare ability to excel in almost every odd and challening role. Born chamaleonic master in acting. I feel bad for Hiddleston, inmature and always dayibg he made a big effort when in fact he delivers just average acting. Just lucky in contacts and suitable roles

by Anonymousreply 349January 15, 2019 10:21 PM

"low iq"

I beg your pardon? He has a Double First in Classics from Cambridge.

Hiddleston may be many things, but "low iq" isn't one of them. He may be poor at life skills connections and self-knowledge.

But he ain't dumb.

by Anonymousreply 350January 15, 2019 10:36 PM

R349 - I have to disagree on Cumberbatch. I saw both his Hamlet and his Richard III and both were forgettable; in fact, the RIIi was downright horrible, although I do blame the director for it to some extent. I saw Hiddleston's Prince Hal in Henry IV and he was ten times more impressive. Personally, I think Hiddleston made a huge mistake not focusing on theatre and trying for film stardom. I think he's a better theatre actor than Cumberbatch, based on what I've seen. And Cumberbatch isn't so chameleon-like, he keeps doing those Asperger roles and I have yet to see him succeed in a rom com or straight romantic leading man role. I don't say he isn't good, both of them have talent, both have worked hard, both were well trained in good schools, RADA and LAMDA.

I think Cumberbatch got luckier than Hiddleston with Sherlock. I missed the Coriolanus at the Donmar, but friends who saw it said Hiddleston was more than just good and totally committed.

I have no idea what's in store for Hiddleston and I don't care who he fucks, really; but I do think he's capable of good work and some really bad choices, the most damaging of which I agree was L'affaire Swift. Some director and writer who believe the same need to give him a role as a moody loner detective or something.

Or he could return to Cambridge and start teaching drama. But ffs stay off the film star route.

And he has money of his own. His father is a rich self-made man and his mother is, as someone else pointed out, part of the family that owns the Aldeburgh estate. He comes from posh and wealth on one side. He could probably never work again and not starve - but he wants to work.

by Anonymousreply 351January 15, 2019 10:52 PM

"But he ain't dumb."

I think wearing that "I Heart T. S." t-shirt was pretty damned dumb. His excuse for that is even dumber; he hurt himself, there was no band-aid available, so somebody handed him a t-shirt that just happened to declare his love for Taylor Swift.

By the way, you can graduate from college and still be a dummy. I've known some of those myself.

by Anonymousreply 352January 15, 2019 11:17 PM

R531 Ok I still think Ben is better than Hidds. I agree Benedict keeps doing his ASPERGER roles ( to international recognition, OBE, and awards) Then Hiddleston seems a defintion of a type of asperger himself. I suspect they both are. Still, Ben id handling his career with maturity and hard working attitude snd I suspect is because he is posh but saw his parents mske sacrifices - he pointed that iut in one interview. Perhaps Hidd grew up thinking the world will be at his feet. And sorry - but the Tshirt excuse is bollock considering he had a temp TATTOO with the same I love taylor swift logo.

by Anonymousreply 353January 15, 2019 11:38 PM

352 - agree, sometimes I think sometimes I think diploma doesn't meen that you smart, just show your diligence, good/respectful relationship with your teachers (and how your parents rich... hehehe)

by Anonymousreply 354January 15, 2019 11:55 PM

Cumberbatch is the best actor out of those three, but Fassbender is the only one that was leading man material.

by Anonymousreply 355January 15, 2019 11:59 PM

Narrator ONLY in the Loki Disny series says a lot about his career at the moment

by Anonymousreply 356January 16, 2019 12:04 AM

R352 - James Watson has a high IQ - he was a brilliant scientist; he just had his honours and titles revoked because of his views on race. No one gets a Double First in Classics from Cambridge who is "dumb" or is just "diligent". I've heard him talk about his roles, he was articulate and intelligent. I thought his Prince Hal was ten times better than Cumerbatch's Hamlet. Smart people fuck up, too.

R333 - I think Ben C does seem a touch Aspie, Hiddleston strikes me more as being immature and narcissistic. I've liked performances by both of them, and disliked some others. I'd like to see both of them in some different roles for a change.

And so far I've never seen either one really connect with women sexually onscreen in a powerful way - that's missing from both their screen CVs. I wonder if Hiddleston realised he had a problem in this area and that was the real reason he attempted the Swift debacle. He wasn't so mch auditioning for Bond as Hot Hetero.

Whatever. It was really sad.

by Anonymousreply 357January 16, 2019 1:10 AM

Whenever any straight man is asked what famous woman they'd like to fuck, I wonder how many actually say tswift. Why'd Hiddles pick her to be his beard?

She won that "breakup" when even she made fun of him in her music video.

by Anonymousreply 358January 16, 2019 1:25 AM

R358 - Well, she's famous and rich and pretty. She also obviously has a thing for British men. Maybe she picked him and he was flattered and figured, Why the hell not? Wasn't she head over heels for Harry Styles? And now it's that twink Joe Alwyn?

She's a type I always imagined a lot of straight men like, tall blonde slim but not too threatening. But hey, what do I know. I read the most popular model for life-size sex dolls is Scarlett Johanson.

by Anonymousreply 359January 16, 2019 1:34 AM

358 How you can, bitch?!!! It was TRUE SUPREME LOVE. What do you know about hetero-passion?!!! because Eton and "He has a Double First in Classics from Cambridge" - idiot savant or if you prefer french moron savant, yes, I still remember GG Médecins sans frontières

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360January 16, 2019 1:45 AM

That was an epic fail!

by Anonymousreply 361January 16, 2019 2:53 AM

And why so many people here in DL and others thought this was for famewhoring? At least in this forum someone has to see he is gay and that was a bearding contract

by Anonymousreply 362January 16, 2019 2:55 AM

I'd argue that Hiddleston had more of a lucky break with Loki, which opened up Hollywood for him, than Cumberbatch did with Sherlock, which only gave him British and online fame. To me, Cumberbatch is clearly the better actor, but he should stick to playing his weird geniuses: his face is uniquely suited to those roles, whereas when he attempts to emote like an ordinary person he turns so ugly it's impossible to empathize with him. I agree that neither of them is convincing with women. It's interesting that the openly gay Whishaw manages just fine, despite coming across as a total bottom; I think he genuinely likes women and is comfortable expressing his affection physically, which makes up for the lack of sexual chemistry. But what happened to Fassbender's reputation as the greatest actor of his generation? Odd that his personal life would impact that.

by Anonymousreply 363January 16, 2019 3:07 AM

Fassbender starred in a string of flops, entered an unnecessary sham marriage, has tons of rumours of being a violent alcoholic and seems to have given up acting in order to be a race car driver with a terrible haircut.

by Anonymousreply 364January 16, 2019 3:11 AM

An that's what made people retroactively decide that he wasn't all that talented to start with? Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 365January 16, 2019 3:14 AM

Most of Swifts "boyfriends" didn't get damaged by her. There would be some rumors about how the dude broke her heart. She'd write a song. The guys would get some het heartbreaker cred. A lot of them weren't even seen with her. I can see how Hiddlesten might think it would help his career. The biggest problem was the 4th of July weekend with the I ❤️ TS tank top and the United States of Taymerica water slid. It was so cheesy. They all looked stupid. She might have given him the tank top at the last minute. She strikes me as a steamroller. Being a Brit he might have believed that Amercans did things like that.

by Anonymousreply 366January 16, 2019 3:58 AM

what play is he doing in London?

(I met Hiddleston once. I have to say he seemed like a very nice guy. I felt bad to see him get mixed up in that Taylor Swift nonsense. When I met him he seemed like a serious theater actor.)

by Anonymousreply 367January 16, 2019 4:02 AM

R362 - Well, she's rather made a habit of it, hasn't she? Styles?! Hiddleston? Alwyn?

And that's been the ancillary question riding alongside the fracas over HiddleSwift. Not just him, but her, no?

To the poster who met Hiddleston and said he struck him as a theatre actor: that's what he should have been. It's probably where his heart really is, moreso than Cumberbatch, come to it, but he went for the big money instead. Shame, as he's hardly an actor who'd have had to supplement meagre theatre wages with a second job as baristo.

by Anonymousreply 368January 16, 2019 12:35 PM

R363 - I agree about Whishaw, which is ironic, as he's so anaemic looking physically, both Cumbers and Hiddles are far less fey. He does seem quite a bit more comfortable in his own skin, which is perhaps why he doesn't have a problem ACTING as if he's attracted to a woman.

And I may get slammed for this, but I also think Whishaw is a better actor than both of them. His Richard II absolutey blew me away in The Hollow Crown series. As much as I liked Hiddleston's Prince Hal and Henry V, and Iron's Henry IV (he was terrific, as well), out of the three plays in the first series, Whishaw outclassed everyone else, and that cast included Rory Kinnear as Bolingbroke and a host of others amongst Britain's finest.

Whishaw did his first Hamlet at 23 or thereabouts, and it was ecstatically received. I think he's more talented than both of them, and I'd give ten Fassbenders, and five each of Cumbers and Hiddles for him dramatically.

by Anonymousreply 369January 16, 2019 12:42 PM

Cumberbatch has found his niche playing smart weirdos. Interestingly, that's a niche that Hollywood needs to have filled frequently, and the early death of Alan Rickman left the field wide open.

His other smart move was getting married. He was flailing around and doing some pretty disastrous interviews too pre-Sophie, but once he married her, he settled right down. Whether it was her influence or his own maturation process is unclear, but it's definitely a situation that works for him.

by Anonymousreply 370January 16, 2019 1:52 PM

Cumberbatch physically repulses me . Theres just something about him I cant stand looking at for more than a second or two, sorta like Scott Bakula and Mark Harmon. I dont know why,but I cant stand any of them. Like Angela Lansburys voice,I hear it and I get repulsed!

by Anonymousreply 371January 16, 2019 1:57 PM

FASsbender is bald?

I did not know that.

by Anonymousreply 372January 16, 2019 1:58 PM

Did he ping in person R367?

by Anonymousreply 373January 16, 2019 3:00 PM

What career? Taylor Swift couldn't jump start him one.

by Anonymousreply 374January 16, 2019 3:07 PM

R367 his play is Betrayal at the Pinzer, I got tickets for may.

by Anonymousreply 375January 16, 2019 3:17 PM

I hate cumbersnatch as doctor strange, I wanted a hot bearded daddy as strange like in the comics and not an ugly lizard alien unisex creature.

by Anonymousreply 376January 16, 2019 3:23 PM

If he fails in Betrayal, and it is likely because he doesnt have chemistry with women and it feels fake. Then a tale about a love betrayal will feel ackward and his career certainly dead.

by Anonymousreply 377January 16, 2019 4:18 PM

R369, I think it's generally acknowledged in the acting circles that Whishaw is the best of his generation. It's just that he's not interested in being a star, which is fortunate because he's physically not cut out to play action heroes or romantic leads. But I couldn't agree more on his Richard II - he was astonishing.

by Anonymousreply 378January 16, 2019 4:38 PM

R377 - Hiddleston is playing the husband, the part Daniel Craig played when the play was revived on Broadway a couple of years ago, and that Ben Kingsley played in the film. I didn't see the New York production, but friends did and said Craig's intensity simply blew poor Rafe Spall, who played Jerry, off the stage. I thought Kingsley best of the three in the film, too, he gave a very dark performance. So, I don't think in this part chemistry with women will be Hiddleston's problem, as the couple obviously have problems and Robert is also abusive. I think Hiddleston's problem will be conveying Robert's anger and emotional hardness.

Zawe Ashton is Emma and Charlie Cox as Jerry as the adulterers. I think a great deal also depends on the successful mix of the three leads. I haven't seen either of them, but Hiddleston is clearly the "name" draw, so he'll have to put out in the charisma department. I suspect the production will get considerable attention.

Hiddleston is smart to return to what I think is his natural metier, the stage. That's where he was first spotted at Cambridge, and I think it's where he belongs.

by Anonymousreply 379January 16, 2019 5:38 PM

R378 - RII I think is a fantastic play and Richard has some of the most amazing speeches in the canon. Just the same, it's not a play I would watch once a year, but in this case, because of Whishaw, I bought the series on DVD and do pull it out for the pleasure of watching his performance.

I'd give second place to Irons for his bitter, haunted Henry VI on this set, and third place to Hiddlston's Prince Hal. I liked his Henry V, but thought the director, in an effort to make it all "accessible" drained the big speeches of a good deal of slam and music. Hiddleston struck me as being caged up a bit as Henry and unable to really let fly in the big speeches.

by Anonymousreply 380January 16, 2019 5:42 PM

He is good on stage. Fine, but this play focuses on the areas he would have more difficulties with. He always plays solo characters. He does not have the emotional maturity, knowledge and attachment to a relationship, and love and emotional depth. He has not even married himself and we dont know of any real relationship. How is he going to succeed in this? He comes accross as inmature, spoiled, priviledged, narcissist, singleton, childish emotionally, unable to hurt a bee,’and never seemed credible in any male-female relationship. How is he going to seem a credible husband.

by Anonymousreply 381January 16, 2019 5:48 PM

RII with Whishaw was astonishingly good. I saw the David Tennant stage version, and even though Tennant was very good indeed, he wasn't as good as Whishaw.

by Anonymousreply 382January 16, 2019 6:07 PM

R381 - Robert is a lousy husband. But if we're going to say that no one who has ever been married can play a spouse, we're getting into dodgy territory, don't you think? He was privileged in his birth, but so was Cumberbatch, Dominic West, Eddie Redmayne, and a host of other current British actors. And he isn't a singleton, he has two sisters. Narcissistic and self-absorbed - out of touch almost - I wholly agree with. Coriolanus didn't exactly reflect his life experience, either, but he was more than creditable. Nor did the life of Hank Williams - but he did amazingly, I thought. One thing I'll give him credit for and that's courage: he did his own singin' and pluckin' in "I Saw the Light". I thought it a very good performance and an amazing stretch for a privileged English boy out of Eton by Cambridge.

No director has ever had anything but warm words for him, as he will do anything to get a part right. With respect, I believe you underrate him.

by Anonymousreply 383January 16, 2019 6:13 PM

*never been married (not ever)

by Anonymousreply 384January 16, 2019 6:13 PM

I find Hiddleston very endearing in interviews and I'm sad to see his career stalled, but I just can't agree that he's a very talented actor. And nowhere is this more obvious, to me, than his forays into Shakespeare. As mentioned, "The Hollow Crown" did cast the cream of the Shakespearean crop, and if their presence only served to underscore Whishaw's exceptional talent, it completely overshadowed Tom's modest gift. And in "Coriolanus" he was outclassed by Mark Gatiss, whom I don't think of as an actor at all. I also suspect Tom lacks "star quality": there was nothing particularly challenging about his role in "Night Manager", but he was so lackluster that I found myself watching everyone but him. And yet scored a hit with Loki, so maybe his best bet would be a carefully calibrated part in a long-running TV series.

by Anonymousreply 385January 16, 2019 7:18 PM

I don't recall if it was a fan or staffer at fault, but during his time playing Coriolanus, Tom suffered a gashed head and seemed different afterward. I wonder if mild brain injury occurred.

by Anonymousreply 386January 16, 2019 8:33 PM

R385 - I don't think Tom was overshadowed in Henry IV at all, I thought he was very good as Prince Hal. I agree the Henry V lacked fire, but I did think the director somewhat to blame for that, just as somewhat blamed the director for Cumberbatch's terrible RIII, which deprived one of theatre's cagiest villains of every last vestige of subtlety.

Mark Gatiss always seems the same to me in whatever role he plays, he seemed little different as the Duke of Marlborough in The Favourite than he did as Mycroft Holmes in Sherlock. It's always the same faintly supercilious air. - I think his range is very limited although I do enjoy what he does.

I thought Tom was only outclassed by the Volumnia, Deborah Findlay, who outclassed everyone and I don't think I'm alone in that -she was like a force of nature. But I do remember Hiddleston's reviews, and they differ from your assessment of him in this, they were excellent.

I'm not sure about star quality, frankly. I'll agree that with a bit more of it he might be in different case now, but I wouldn't say he has none, either.

It's probably easier to be Kevin Costner and William Shatner than it is to be one of those people with a gift, but not a big enough one.

by Anonymousreply 387January 16, 2019 8:41 PM

R376, Mads Mikkelsen would've been great as Dr. Strange, not the villain.

by Anonymousreply 388January 16, 2019 8:42 PM

R388 - Oh, you've brought up one of my favourite actors!

Villains are choice parts, though. I'd rather play Iago than Othello any day.

by Anonymousreply 389January 16, 2019 8:44 PM

David Tennant is the best british actor of his generation.

by Anonymousreply 390January 16, 2019 10:22 PM

R390 - I know they aren't quite the same generation, but there's only ten years between them and I have to say I admire Mark Rylance more. I find Tennant lacks something in the way of warmth and vulnerability. But I am quibbling - he is major talent, no question.

by Anonymousreply 391January 16, 2019 10:40 PM

I loved Night Manager, and thought Tom was quite good in it.

by Anonymousreply 392January 16, 2019 10:42 PM

The opening of the Pinkerton's Detective Agency

Beaver hats and then silk hats

by Anonymousreply 393January 16, 2019 10:46 PM

Apologies all! I thought I was in the "Things you miss about the 19th century" thread.

Perhaps Hiddleston would have been happier there.

R393

by Anonymousreply 394January 16, 2019 10:47 PM

R390 No he's not.

by Anonymousreply 395January 16, 2019 11:12 PM

R395=Tom Hiddleston

by Anonymousreply 396January 17, 2019 12:00 AM

Simon Russell Beale is the best British actor around (maybe shared with Mark Rylance) but they’re not of the same generation as Tennant and Hiddleston.

The best younger British actors are probably mostly on stage.

by Anonymousreply 397January 17, 2019 12:37 AM

R397 - Hiddleston is the youngest of the group - Tennant is ten years older than him; Rylance and Beale are ten years older than Tennant.

And Whishaw is Hiddleston;s age, although he doesn't seem it.

I was disappointed in Beale's Falstaff in The Hollow Crown, he was so dour and lacking in the charm that captures the feckless Hal. And I was disappointed that he attempted RII at 58, a man who died at 33. I seem to remember he played Hamlet at a relatively late age, too.

by Anonymousreply 398January 17, 2019 12:55 AM

So not only Wishaw is a much better actor, sublime I would say, but also out of the closet (been married to a musician for a while) and still getting top jobs. Tom should learn from him and leave his ComicCons and sad routinary life, which Unless he succeeds in this new venture, will have to come back to his life as a hermit and be remembered by his Taylor liaison and narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 399January 17, 2019 1:53 AM

Actors and artists in general used to be considered - along with politicians- pure narcissists, but Tom Hiddleston truly outshadowed them all. I dont remember anyone more narcissistic other than mariah Carey or some other HB stars. For a Brit he is surely not discreet nor humble

by Anonymousreply 400January 17, 2019 1:56 AM

He'd be a human cumdump (Dawson style) just to have Tom Hardy's career. Hell, even Luke Evans' career.

by Anonymousreply 401January 17, 2019 2:14 AM

r373 I can't really say. It was my first time in the UK and frankly all the men seemed to ping. I wasn't used to British people at that point. He was very posh though. Definitely seemed like the perfect English gentleman. Very polite and engaging but he was a bit overdressed in a suit and all when nobody else was.

by Anonymousreply 402January 17, 2019 2:45 AM

Thank you! R402

by Anonymousreply 403January 17, 2019 2:49 AM

R387, I know Hiddleston's "Coriolanus" reviews were good. Then again, a couple of my classics-loving friends actually walked out of the movie theater because they though he was godawful. So I feel comfortable in my middle-of-the-road estimation of him as a modest talent.

R398, I'm with you on Beale's Falstaff. This was my first acquaintance with Beale, and now I avoid anything he's in. Worse than charmless: he was downright repugnant. I don't recall what he did to leave that impression, but I'm not willing to rewatch to find out.

by Anonymousreply 404January 17, 2019 3:31 AM

People keep saying he is rich, but if he is, then why is he doing these cons every week with these weirdos? It has to be hurting what ever brand he has left. I know he has not really worked in a few years, but it must soul killing to to pretend with these people. I would do commercials or voiceovers...something.

by Anonymousreply 405January 17, 2019 4:29 AM

R405, Hiddleston used to be a total pushover with fans, and though he has put some distance between them and himself of late, he's still one of the nicest celebrities out there. He's not taking his downfall well, and if he truly is narcissistic, chances are that basking in fans' adoration is a source of solace for him.

by Anonymousreply 406January 17, 2019 4:40 AM

Perhaps he prefers that immediate adoration.

He dressed up as Loki for Comic Con back in 2013. It's his biggest, and possibly only, contribution to pop culture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407January 17, 2019 4:43 AM

He is a shameless famewhore and wants/needs the attention, basically any attention even if it is from creepy fans.

by Anonymousreply 408January 17, 2019 3:54 PM

Agree with R379 that TH's over-discussed complexities should work well when playing the knowing cuckold in 'Betrayal.'

The character is clever and bitter. There's a riveting central scene where he toys psychologically with his straying wife in Venice. (Michael Sheen did it brilliantly in the NT's Pinter 'Celebration.') If TH can pull that off, reputation enhanced.

Agree also that S R Beale for all his high talent lacks Rylance's streak of charismatic genius. (SRB was too young when playing Lear in Sam Mendes's production.) Whishaw is the Rylance of his generation.

by Anonymousreply 409January 17, 2019 5:33 PM

Rylance and Whishaw should play father and son. They don't look alike, but something about them is strikingly similar.

by Anonymousreply 410January 17, 2019 5:40 PM

I've often thought that, R410. Quite the challenge for any screenwriter to showcase such talents to their best advantage. Or maybe some apt story already awaits somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 411January 17, 2019 5:54 PM

Whishaw, fresh out of drama school, was the lead in Hamlet in Old Vic in 2004, Spacey was an artistic director there at that time (since 2003). Do you think they had an encounter?

by Anonymousreply 412January 17, 2019 6:07 PM

R409 - Really agree with this assessment. SRB was too young when he played Lear and far too old to play RII, and I believe Robert's character is one that will play surprisingly to TH's strengths. My only concern is that they haven't made the mistake that my NY friends who saw Craig, Weisz, and Spall (Jr.) noted, and that is, cast a Jerry who is not charismatic enough to stand up to the "star". One, a lifelong theatre-goer, said seeing Cragi's Robert allow his wife to go offwith Spall's Jerry, was like watching him let her go off with Woody Allen. And Spall is reasonably attractive and a decent actor.

Whishaw and Rylance as father and son would be a terrific casting!

by Anonymousreply 413January 17, 2019 8:13 PM

R412 yes

by Anonymousreply 414January 19, 2019 12:23 AM

a sexy one

by Anonymousreply 415January 19, 2019 9:52 AM

R415 Wishaw or Hiddeston? I am assuming Hiddleston. In his recent pics at BBC2 Radio interview for Betrayal he looks quite good. Good legs and tall. Clearly his skin recovers in cold weather.

by Anonymousreply 416January 19, 2019 3:24 PM

BBC Radio 2 on January 18, 2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417January 19, 2019 8:31 PM

He doesn't look good.

by Anonymousreply 418January 19, 2019 8:35 PM

SRB was fantastic as Beria in The Death of Stalin.

by Anonymousreply 419January 19, 2019 9:00 PM

I can't believe he is in his thirties.

by Anonymousreply 420January 19, 2019 9:55 PM

Hiddleston for sure bulked up for Loki, Night Manager, and KONG. This is probably his more natural body look - alll he needs is a tweed jacket with elbow patches.

Or else he's on smack.

by Anonymousreply 421January 19, 2019 11:27 PM

I like his 19th century look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422January 19, 2019 11:52 PM

He seems so complicated psycologically speaking.

by Anonymousreply 423January 20, 2019 3:13 AM

He did the Venice post office scene at the Pinter gala last year, and was very good.

by Anonymousreply 424January 20, 2019 12:06 PM

R422 - He does well in period shifts. Some actors don't, you know. One of the things that struck me in Scorcese's filming of "The Age of Innocence" was how awkward Michelle Pfeiifer looked and walked in late 19th century clothing. She was very affecting in the part, I'm not suggesting she didn't commit to her role, but there's just something terribly modern about her llook and she looked awkward in the clothes in a way that, strangely, Winona Ryder did not. Julia Roberts also doesn't do well in period drama, the few times I've seen her.

Hiddleston looked good in 14th century clothes and armour as Prince Hal and Henry V, he looked great as the down-at-heels fraying Victorian-Edwardian aristo in "Crimson Peak", and looks good in modern clothes.

Not all actors can bridge contemporary and period looks.

by Anonymousreply 425January 20, 2019 2:47 PM

*Scorsese (not Scorcese) , and *Pfeiffer, not Pheiifer

R425

by Anonymousreply 426January 20, 2019 2:48 PM

R425 The Victorian look suits him because of his thin frame, classical features, formal and old-fashioned manners. I think that he should stick to period pieces.

Helena Bonham Carter obtained a lot of success playing Edwardian heroines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427January 20, 2019 5:04 PM

Will he ever "date" again?

by Anonymousreply 428January 20, 2019 5:15 PM

R425 Helena Bonham Carter looks stunning in period dramas. She also has the right old-fashioned manners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429January 20, 2019 5:21 PM

Redmayne is a Brit who has taken periodic niche.

by Anonymousreply 430January 20, 2019 5:37 PM

R425 Tom Hiddleston also looked good in the period piece, "The Gathering Storm" and has the right old-fashioned manners to play F. Scott Fitzgerald in "Midnight in Paris".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431January 20, 2019 5:41 PM

I also liked Matthew Rhys in the period dramas, "Death comes to Pemberley" and "The Mystery of Drood".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432January 20, 2019 6:03 PM

[quote]how awkward Michelle Pfeiifer looked and walked in late 19th century clothing

She did, and this remark reminded me of how unfortunately she jarred for me in some scenes. She walked into one society ball scene like a coolly confident broad entering a blue-collar bar.

Once that happens, much of the mood of a film is qualified. Naturally Day Lewis's doubtless exhaustive researches into 19th century deportment only accentuated MP's falling short.

by Anonymousreply 433January 20, 2019 6:11 PM

If Merchant Ivory filme were still a thing, he might be able to get a job. Now he is doing fake wedding photos at comic conventions on the regular. I am sure this what he was looking forward to when he got his double first as many of his stans love to point out.

by Anonymousreply 434January 20, 2019 6:40 PM

How I ADORED Merchant Ivory films ! Each new one was an exciting event,much anticipated. If only they still made gorgeous lush films like those again.

by Anonymousreply 435January 20, 2019 6:43 PM

He looks terrible in r417.

His coat is too tight - what the hell?

by Anonymousreply 436January 20, 2019 7:28 PM

sometimes it looks like he has gained weight but solnlater seems too thin. There rumours he was anorexic, I think he might be bulimic. A bit like Lady Di

by Anonymousreply 437January 20, 2019 8:15 PM

There were also rumours that he is fond of coke R437.

by Anonymousreply 438January 20, 2019 9:27 PM

maybe he was high during that swift embarrassing display of affection and admiration. You truly have to be disconnected from reality. I have never tried it but i heard that was the reason Kate Moss was so thin

by Anonymousreply 439January 20, 2019 10:58 PM

R428 I dont think so. He will announce marriage/civil union directly. I don’t think he will publicly date again. Another embarrassment would be too much. He will need to be certain it will be a long term trustworthy relationship to go ahead. But what will he do is quite impredictable. Chances of him marrying a woman or s men are almost 50% regardless of whether he is gay or not. Same as David Bowie.

by Anonymousreply 440January 20, 2019 11:32 PM

One of Merchant and Ivory (can’t remember which) is desperate to do a film of Richard II starring Hiddleston, but they can’t find funding for it.

by Anonymousreply 441January 20, 2019 11:54 PM

I think he was good in the 2014 video The Pirate Fairy.

by Anonymousreply 442January 20, 2019 11:54 PM

Yes and don't forget that Captain Hook is a shakespearian villain! R442

by Anonymousreply 443January 21, 2019 12:41 AM

Sad Last Days!

by Anonymousreply 444January 21, 2019 4:01 AM

R443 - In fairness, TH isn't far wrong in that opinion. There is something of the Shakesperian villain who is nevertheless a tragic figure chasing something he can't really have. (It's an underrated book, is PP.)

by Anonymousreply 445January 21, 2019 1:01 PM

*something of the Shakesperian villain in Hook . . .

by Anonymousreply 446January 21, 2019 3:57 PM

R443 Absolutely correct. That direct to video project was essentially like Olivier's Hamlet.

by Anonymousreply 447January 21, 2019 5:18 PM

The convention appearances maybe has something to do with Disney and the Loki show. I noticed that Elizabeth Olsen started to make these at about the same time as Hiddleston. She's getting a show as well. I don't think either had done them before. It can't hurt that he makes a good packet from them seeing as he's not working and hasn't for the last two years.

by Anonymousreply 448January 21, 2019 5:26 PM

At least he pays bills with that Loki role, but for how long. I doubt wether if he was paid back in the day for the 5 films or if got any money recently. London is so expensive that perhaps he is broke and needs that ComicCon money desperately.

by Anonymousreply 449January 22, 2019 1:34 AM

No way he is broke R449 As mentioned in the thread he comes from money. He'll never have to work again.

by Anonymousreply 450January 22, 2019 9:14 AM

R450 - True, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to work.

It will be interesting to see what happens with "Betrayal" in spring. Really good reviews and ticket sales may be just the thing to revitalise next stage of his career.

by Anonymousreply 451January 22, 2019 1:21 PM

He is doing this cons for to reasons. 1. money 2. attention. He LOVES the attention that he gets from his fans. The fact that he comes from wealthy family doesn't mean that he himself is rich. He is not direct heir or anything like that and he also has two sisters. His father paid for his education, he for sure got some money from his trust fund and that's it. He is almost 40 year old man. Living on his own. Does any of you really think that he asks his daddy for $$$ for his own expenses?

R436 that's probably because this is an very old coat, he got it when he was thinner. We all know that he loves to wear his clothes until they start to fall apart and beyond that. Two cons ago he had jeans with hole in them (around his crotch area) this time around he had holes in his sweater (elbow). Daddy Luke wasn't there to fix him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452January 22, 2019 9:43 PM

I mean you read stories like this and... well... his ego must be stretching to Saturn if it's still in solar system.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453January 22, 2019 9:59 PM

R452 - Aw, c'mon. Look at all the stars who shared a stage with the Muppets. I mean, Nureyev and Miss Piggy?

by Anonymousreply 454January 22, 2019 10:20 PM

Wow I think I'm going to puke after reading this R453.

by Anonymousreply 455January 23, 2019 12:00 AM

unaware if his sexuality

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456January 23, 2019 12:45 AM

R456 - God, what a difference having hair makes.

by Anonymousreply 457January 23, 2019 12:55 AM

Sorry, but he does not have nearly the money his stans claim he has because there is no way anyone independently wealthy or even rich would purposesly and continuously surround himself with people in the r453 letter or freaks doing pretend weddings. And this goes way beyond and above doing promo for Marvel or just being nice to fans. Embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 458January 23, 2019 1:24 AM

R458 - His mother and father are loaded. He owns a house in Belsize Park that he bought with his frist Marvel money. I'm betting he also has a trust fund.

Naturally, he wants to earn money as an actor - but for Hiddleston a dry spell means Comic Con, not waiting tables. It's probably better than disappearing altogether. Yhe lead in a Pinter revival in the West End probably won't pay what Loki or Kong did - but for Hiddleston, it won't make any difference in his lifestyle.

Perspective is everything, I'd love to be in Hiddleston's financial position. Is he Jeff Bezos? No. But did you ever of him after RADA tending bar whilst waiting for a break? Have you ever heard that he ever held any ordinary jjob anywhere except acting?

That's the difference between him and someone who really needs money.

by Anonymousreply 459January 23, 2019 2:43 AM

Cumberbatch never had to work a real job either.

by Anonymousreply 460January 23, 2019 3:01 AM

You sound ridiculous. Just because his parents have money does not mean they are paying for a 40 years olds living expenses. Still, it is their money, not his money. And if like you said, if he spent his Marvel money on property, it could have made him house poor. Probably thought his career would have been booming or more prosperous over the last few years. That is why he is doing all these silly cons with delusional stans. Hey, do what you have to do when the chips are down.

Did I say he had to get a job at McDonald's? Not that there is anthing shameful about doing a humble, but honest job. But obviously there has not been for a few years or will be any time soon, a major influx of money. Didn't someone upthread write that the Loki series may just be a voice over?

You are "guessing" he has a trust fund, but no proof of it. Please. But like I said, if he had lots of money at his disposal why is he repeatedly making a fool of himself with these losers? Directors, producers and studio execs don't see those pics and think leading man or important role. And don't tell me it is remotely fun to hang out with these people.

by Anonymousreply 461January 23, 2019 3:13 AM

Yes, I think really he needs to love himself and not humilliate himseld for the stans. R461 Yes the rumours semiconfirmed is that he will jist narrate (voice) but no screen time.

by Anonymousreply 462January 23, 2019 3:45 AM

R460 - Yes, same for Cumberbatch, whose grandfather paid his fees at Eton. His parents had far less money than Hiddleston's and Redmayne's and Dominc West's - none of these actors had to do what most young unknowns do. And before he hit Sherlock, Cumberbatch said he did lots of big roles in small movies and small roles in big movies.

I do believe I used the word "guess" about Hiddleston and a trust fund. No, I don't "know" but from what I know of his family, it's hardly a stretch of the imagination.

I also do believe I mentioned that of course he wants to earn money in his chosen profession. And his family don't, as I mentioned, have to support him for the next 40 years. That's what trust funds are for. His mother's family own the Aldeburgh estate. His father made a fortune as a brilliant scientist working at Oxford. The idea that he doesn't have a trust fund is far less likely than that he does.

You can make arguments about whether he's making good choices to ensure the public don't forget about him. But needing the money to eat and needing paying jobs to maintain his identity as a working actor are not, I maintain, the same.

Meanwhile, as I keep pointing out, a lead role in what will be a closely followed production of one of the best known plays by one of Britain's best known playwrights in the West End in the theatre named for said playwright does suggest his career isn't "dead". It may be taking a new direction, but it isn't dead and in the interim he didn't starve or have to put the Belsize Park house up to feed himself.

I do not understand the resistance to acknowledging that he's a man from a wealthy family, half of which is in the stud book and own the Aldeburgh estate, who probably also has money still from his Marvel films and who probably has a trust fund , and yes, he still wants to work and earn money. These concepts are not mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 463January 23, 2019 12:53 PM

R463, you my be the dumbest and most pathetic person on the planet. Sad how you are doing all this "research" on a man who would not spit on you unless you paid him $200. He puts on a greasy black wig to play a cartoon character.

Again, if he has access to riches untold as you said, then it truly confirms that he is an extreme famewhore to keep degrading himself this way. The truth is likely that he does not have access to all that money you are wishing he has and needs to hustle because he is not being offered anything for a long time. Agents and management don't keep you on the books if you are not bringing in money. I am sure you think he is turning down blockbusters and working with directors like Fitcher because the they are not good enough for him.

He has the most entertaining stans!

by Anonymousreply 464January 23, 2019 1:11 PM

R454 - Jesus what the fuck is your problem? Yuu don't need to do "research" on Tom Hiddleston - you can get all that from five minutes on his Wikepedia page. This is a gossip site. We soeculate on people most of us will never come within 50 feet of.

He puts on a greasy black wig to play a comic book character? Well - yeah. Hemsworth and Hopkins are doing the same thing in the same movie with differenc oloured hair. Hemsworth hasn't been able to open a non-Marvel first-run film to save his life and he sure as hell isn't opening in the West End. Are you suggesting he has no money, either?

I suggested Hiddleston has a private income and isn't in the same position as an out of work unknown who has to wait tables when he isn't working.

If you call Betrayal at the Pinter in London desperation, be my guest. You clearly can't stand him and that's your privilege.

I said from the beginning he isn't A-List leading man film star material. He took a wrong turn. Maybe he'll go back to theatre. Meanwhile, he isn't going to starve because he's from a rich family.

Why the fuck you hysterical He's Dead He's Dead He's Dead cunts can't see a middle of the road assessment for what it is ays more about your pathetic obsession than mine.

by Anonymousreply 465January 23, 2019 1:24 PM

R464 Turning down blockbusters? 😂 He doesn't even seem to be able get casted in anything that isn't Marvel or Kenneth Branagh related.

by Anonymousreply 466January 23, 2019 2:59 PM

R463 Cumberbatch's fees to Eton weren’t paid by anyone, he went to Harrow. That aside, Hiddleston is fine. I’m sure he’d like to have more work on his plate, but it’ll likely pick up. He was on the point of buying a country mansion recently, it fell through, but he can find £4.5 m to drop on it so doubt McDonald's is on the agenda. The snark from people who will never be as rich, educated, famous or handsome as he is is amusing.

by Anonymousreply 467January 23, 2019 3:20 PM

R464 - You mean, like The Night Manager? Or, I Saw the Light?

by Anonymousreply 468January 23, 2019 3:39 PM

R467 - I stand corrected, I didn't check it but I recalled it was one of the two. And, yes, his grandfather on his father's side allegedly paid the fees. His father and mother were both second-string actors and they worked extremely hard, I read, to supplement that. His mother, by the way, was Wanda Ventham, and she was absolutely gorgeous. In fact, I think she's still quite beautiful for her age. I think he gets the eyes and skin from her.

And completely agree with your additional comments re Hiddleston.

by Anonymousreply 469January 23, 2019 3:43 PM

R464 - That comment was meant for R466 - although you sound alike.

And it's "cast" not "casted".

R468

by Anonymousreply 470January 23, 2019 3:45 PM

I love how angry his stans are getting on this thread! Again, if his family is so rich and generous, why is he embarassing himself at these cons with these pics and freaks? He just loves doing them and has nothing better to do with his free time? Look he is not going to get the roles he may have been poised for anymore, but he can't get any decent supporting roles?

And rest assured that no one is jealous of him unless they are into global public humiliation. Jealousy is always the pitiful cry of stans.

And dummy, can you read? I never said he would have to work at McDonald's. Quite the opposite. But a hemorrhoids commercial is not off the table.

R464, those projects were cast 4 and 5 years ago. One failed Oscar bait. The other, no one cares about anymore. No new projects. Theatre is done between screen gigs. Are you going to bring up Crimson Peak as a recent project, too?

by Anonymousreply 471January 23, 2019 3:56 PM

Has Tom ever had a "real" job?

by Anonymousreply 472January 23, 2019 4:46 PM

R471 - it's clearly impossible to hold anything like a reasonable dialogue with you. His family is posh, he has money, he also wants to make money, and no one, least of all me, has argued that his career has been stellar or one long upward trajectory.

R472 - No. And neither has Benedict Cumberbatch, Eddie Redmayne, Dominic West, or actresses from similar backgrounds such as Rosamund Pike, Lily James, and Emily Blunt. What's your point across them all?

by Anonymousreply 473January 23, 2019 4:55 PM

Sad that the only way he can make dough is doing these nightmare cons. I guess he is not invited to appear at unveilings of new luxury cars or goods where you get paid to sip champage and eat ceviche.

Your are correct, but the difference is that all these actors have a bunch of upcoming movies and shows booked. You might want to compare him with someone else who has also stalled out like Fassbender.

by Anonymousreply 474January 23, 2019 7:46 PM

R474 - Actually, he did do a luxury car ad for Jaguar.

From PopSugar:

"Tom Hiddleston is letting you know "who's in charge" in his latest commercial for Jaguar. In the ad, the Thor star explains just what is expected of a villain — which includes quick wit and bespoke suits — and quotes Shakespeare's play Richard II while cruising in an F-Type. Tom was named as a spokesperson for the British manufacturer in early 2014, and his first spot aired on Super Bowl Sunday, but this most recent one might just be the sexiest we've ever seen the actor get. Do you agree? Watch Tom's Jaguar ad, and let us know in the comments."

Any more well informed comments you'd like to make?

by Anonymousreply 475January 23, 2019 7:50 PM

That Jaguar ad was a while ago.

by Anonymousreply 476January 23, 2019 7:53 PM

R476 - Yes - and so was Cumberbatch's one and only successful opening as the lead role of a non-Marvel film: Imitation Game. He also had some luxury car stuff in Asia about five years ago. Since then, he went on to do Hamlet at the Barbican and that's it for major stuff, after which he did stuff that most of John Q. Public has never heard of, like The Current Wars and the BREXIT film. Does anyone go around saying his career is over, despite the fact that he, like Chris Hemsworth, can't seem for the life of him to turn into a leading man opening non-Marvel films successfully? And Hemsworth is considerably better-looking with a surprising touch for humour.

Look - I don't have two fucks to give about whether you think Hiddleston is a decent actor or not. Like most everyone else on this thread, I agree he's made some really bad choices, not the least of which was the Taylor Swift debacle. I just don't agree his career is dead and I don't whether you think so or not.

And for the life of me I do not get the arguments about whether he has "money" or not. He clearly does. In fact, he rather reeks of it which is why lots of people don't like him.

Meanwhile, he got a Golden Globe last year for Night Manager, and he's got a leading role (in fact, he's the "name" draw) in a major play at a major theatre in London this spring.

If you want to call that "dead". have at it. That's the topic of the thread, and I've answered the question it asks in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 477January 23, 2019 8:09 PM

Calm down Tom at R477.

by Anonymousreply 478January 23, 2019 8:28 PM

R478 - Get bit.

by Anonymousreply 479January 23, 2019 8:29 PM

I can't believe any actor who is getting well paid acting jobs would want to do those stupid cons, unless they're exceptionally greedy and just want to get get money any way they can. Having to interact and pose with those weird fans seems embarrassing and humiliating.

by Anonymousreply 480January 23, 2019 8:44 PM

You obviously do, 477, because you keep trying to convince us that he is happening. And why do you keep bring up old projects he did years ago? Trying to relive thd good old days that are clearly over? If i was him I would be on phone to Kenny B. and beg to be in his next project.

I bet you were crying while you were typing. So creepy as to how you have "reasearched" him and his family and friends so much.

R480, i could see doing one or two of the huge ones , but becoming a staple at them? But he is not getting gigs and if you want to stay some place like CAA you have to make money.

by Anonymousreply 481January 23, 2019 8:57 PM

R477 is right: Hiddleston almost certainly has a trust fund. Even before his current Belgravia place, he had a place in London that was bought and paid for, and that's no mean feat given London real estate prices. He had the first place before he got famous, when he was right out of drama school. Also note that he has a degree from Cambridge AND a RADA degree, and the UK's very generous college assistance programs only pay for the FIRST college degree. RADA is something like 30,000 pounds a year, and that money came from somewhere. Hiddleston comes from family money and has enjoyed its privileges all his life.

It's really strange that some posters are so obsessed with the idea that he doesn't have a trust fund. It reminds me of the person in the British Royal Family threads who explodes if you even suggest that the Queen Mother left trust funds to her great-grandchildren, despite the BBC, the Telegraph, and other important media outlets saying so. BRF anti-trust troll, is this you?

by Anonymousreply 482January 23, 2019 9:02 PM

A Golden Globe doesn't mean shit. They get popped every few tears for bribery or something similar. He didn't even get nominated for a BAFTA or SAG and he lost the Emmy.

It is amazing that his industry friends or even Disney has not thrown him a bone for all the dancing bear routines. Say what you will about Sandler, but his buddies are always covered.

Since you claim he has a trust fund then he must be the ultimate famewhore, desperate and needy to pose for fake wedding photos and charge hundreds of dollars . Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 483January 23, 2019 9:06 PM

Oh, I certainly agree that he's a huge famewhore, R483. A huge famewhore with a trust fund.

by Anonymousreply 484January 23, 2019 9:07 PM

R472 Yes, as Swift's beard. He was awful.

by Anonymousreply 485January 23, 2019 9:18 PM

R481 - You need reading comprehension. I never said he was "happening". I said I didn't agree that his career was dead. Dead careers don't get lead roles in the West End in London. Cumberbatch isn't opening any major films, either, outside of Marvel.

That's the name of this thread. I answered the question. No, I don't think it's dead, I gave my reasons why.

Now get fucked, if you can.

R484 - On that, I am totally agreed. As they used to say, he'd go to the opening of an envelope.

by Anonymousreply 486January 23, 2019 9:27 PM

The "Tom's career ain't dead and he is totally happening-troll" is worse than all the other stans on DL combined.

by Anonymousreply 487January 23, 2019 9:30 PM

R482 Has no idea about university fees in the UK. I'm almost certain that Hiddleston went to Cambridge when uni fees were maybe £3000 without maintenance fees but I'm not sure. Fees weren't brought in until 1998/99. RADA fees were also much different when he was there also. Not near £30000. Eton would have been his most expensive tuition.

To the poster who keeps talking about the Aldeburgh estate, what are you on about? His mother owns a very nice house in Aldeburgh. I have a friend whose parents live there. It's not an estate and from what his parents say, she's not even the owner. There's some arrangement where her children own it, maybe bought for her through them by her ex-husband. She's no heiress and neither is he.

by Anonymousreply 488January 23, 2019 9:31 PM

R482 also must be misinformed about his residence. Two types of "new money" people live in Belgravia, American hedgefund owners and Russian oligarchs.

by Anonymousreply 489January 23, 2019 9:34 PM

R482 - I don't get the anti-trust fund bit, either. It's as if they can't accept the fact that he likes attention and that's why he does Comic Con - it's got to be because he's desperate for money. Listen, for all I know, he has to show some earnings to stay in the union. But he sure doesn't need it to keep a roof over his head, food in his mouth, and clothes on his back. He probably signed a contract for a slice of the DVD sales of the THOR and Avenger films the way everyone does these days.

R487 - As I said, you lack English comprehension. Stating his career isn't dead isn't the same as he is totally happening.

The only troll here is you.

by Anonymousreply 490January 23, 2019 9:34 PM

What Belgravia? He doesn't live there he never does. No one is saying that he is poor but also not as rich as some of you assume. He didn't pick up any job for past 2 years. And money goes pretty quickly if you are so used to lifestyle that he has. He just milkin the money from this cons now because lets be honest who will want to see him talking about Loki in 10 years time. Especially looking at how "well" he age. Gotta think about future. R488 I agree. He is not a heir and he also have 2 sisters. So his daddys money will split if Tommy is included in his last will. We all know that he's father did not aprrove of his career choices.

by Anonymousreply 491January 23, 2019 9:50 PM

Dvd noney,??? What a moron. Dvd sales are at an all time low and streaming makes pennies on the dollar. That is if Disney even gave him some back end deal. He is no RDR.

He looks like he is dying inside in those pics.

Who gives a shit about university fees from 20 years ago? Sad that he has to rely on his parents's generosity.

by Anonymousreply 492January 23, 2019 9:51 PM

R491 - He lives in Belsize Park, where he bought a house with his first earnings as Loki. It's a considerably affluent area.

by Anonymousreply 493January 23, 2019 9:52 PM

R491 - Both his sisters are married. One lives in India and is a journalist. The other is married to Jack Peregrine Blakiston-Houston -[sic]. Yeah, his two sisters are draining the family funds.

Gee it's a shame that Eddie Redmayne and Prince William had to rely on their parent's "generosity" to go to Eton and Cambridge, too.

by Anonymousreply 494January 23, 2019 9:57 PM

From the Daily Mail in April 2018, citing Celebrity Net Worth:

"Tom Hiddleston's net worth is estimated to be $20 million (£14.3m), according to Celebrity Net Worth. While most of his net worth is made up of salaries from films such as Thor, The Avengers and Kong: Skull Island, Hiddleston also earns money from endorsements.Apr 24, 2018. . ."

Gee. And here I was about to set up a Feed Tom Hiddleston Telethon.

by Anonymousreply 495January 23, 2019 10:04 PM

Both sisters live in the UK. Friend has seen them often in Aldeburgh. R495 Quoting the Daily Fail quoting Celebrity Net Worth is the height of uselessness. Neither knows anything about Hiddleston's finances.

by Anonymousreply 496January 23, 2019 10:06 PM

The interesting thing about Celebrity Net Worth is that when it finds out it's wrong it updates.

Really? Your friend hangs in Aldeburgh? Wow. Must be well-heeled.

The sister who lives in India with her Indian husband will be interested to know that a DL troll says that because she's been seen in Aldeburgh, she lives there. The other sister, so far as I know, yeah, lives in England. No one said she didn't.

One of the worst moments of the Swift fiasco in my opinion was that TH pulled his mother and little niece into the panto - the niece is the child of the sister married to the Indian. But what a charming photo it was: Mum, TH and Swiftie in Wellies, and the little half-Indian niece piggy-backing on Uncle TH, on the family estate.

OK, we'll go with FamousBirthsDeaths - which gives his net worth as $8 million.

Is it time to call BBC and set up the Telethon yet?

by Anonymousreply 497January 23, 2019 10:24 PM

Could you stalkers take this shit back over to Tumblr? They miss you.

by Anonymousreply 498January 23, 2019 10:53 PM

Both sisters live in the UK or at least did a few years ago. Friend's parents saw the older sister around so much that they asked after her. She'd spent the whole summer with her mother. They said that she'd moved back to the UK. If she lives in Aldeburgh itself I don't know that. The husband was NEVER mentioned and hasn't been seen which the parents took to mean that he hadn't come back with her.

by Anonymousreply 499January 23, 2019 11:31 PM

Did your friends parents also see Tom and Taylor together?

by Anonymousreply 500January 24, 2019 12:47 AM

The sister that lived in India came back to the Uk. She said in the school magazine that she wanted to come back “as a family” to live for good in the UK. And she wanted to work as a journalist - investigative. So the history of her at her mother’ sounds real.

by Anonymousreply 501January 24, 2019 1:56 AM

Also his finances cannot be huge. Hehas the contacts from the family and all. But not inherited directly. It is more the father’ money from the divorce and the famous trusts. He biught his Belsize Park House freehold at 2.3£ million and now is values at least twice because prices rose in 300% in Chelsea. That eas Marvel money. But did anything else paid that much? I guess £7millon is a better estimate. And doesnt look investment savvy but a big spender. Dont be surprised if he needed that money to maintain the posh status

by Anonymousreply 502January 24, 2019 2:01 AM

I have always been curious about his sexuality but he seems really just another actor that would sleep with men and woman with no problem.

by Anonymousreply 503January 24, 2019 2:17 AM

Bunch of stalker losers from Tumblr got lost in DL. Any wonder why his career went into the toilet if these are the kind of fans he attracts? That Bond producer knew what she was talking about when she publicly humilated him. It was a warning that TPTB obviously took to heart.

by Anonymousreply 504January 24, 2019 2:23 AM

They just said he was smug and not masculine enough. More true than humilliation.

by Anonymousreply 505January 24, 2019 12:19 PM

I'm delighted to hear the Hiddleston family ties are strong.

I'm also unsurprised that Hiddleston isn't on the brink of starvation and desperate for money.

I'll be curious to see if Betrayal gives his career a kcikstart and he's readjusted his sights more realistically.

And I don't care who he fucks. Although I won't say I won't peek.

by Anonymousreply 506January 24, 2019 12:51 PM

*kickstart (not kickstart)

by Anonymousreply 507January 24, 2019 3:05 PM

His eyelashes are permed.

by Anonymousreply 508January 24, 2019 3:46 PM

R508 - given what perms fo to the hair on your head, isn't that rather dangerous?

by Anonymousreply 509January 24, 2019 5:49 PM

R509 it is an easy procedure

by Anonymousreply 510January 24, 2019 6:11 PM

R495 Hiddleston’s net worth is estimated at $20 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511January 24, 2019 9:45 PM

R500 His mother swears she saw her in a shop looking at clothing with a bodyguard but my friend had to explain to his parents who taylor Swift was and what had happened with Hiddleston and she only remembered after the fact. Mostly he has stories about how Hiddleston's mother thinks she's the be all and end all of culture in Suffolk. No prizes for guessing where he gets his ego and pretentiousness from.

by Anonymousreply 512January 24, 2019 10:24 PM

that is what Taylor might think of herself too. In a way they were thr perfect match. R512 your stories are the best of the post! but does the mother have a real job or just some knowledge

by Anonymousreply 513January 24, 2019 10:28 PM

Do your friends parents think that Tom is gay? R512

by Anonymousreply 514January 24, 2019 11:13 PM

That article is bull shit. They even say they are guessing un the article. But it is not like it is Forbes.

And anyone who thinks Hiddleston is worth $20 million is delusional...basically his stans. People worth that much do not hang out with losers at regional comic cons, even though he is a famewhore.

by Anonymousreply 515January 25, 2019 1:08 AM

Nobody cares about his networth 🙄

by Anonymousreply 516January 25, 2019 1:14 AM

My estimate puts him in search for a rich heir.

by Anonymousreply 517January 25, 2019 4:58 AM

Maybe all he was after ( in his Swift affaire) was her money after all. And thats why he agreed to bullshit including tshirt and tattoo

by Anonymousreply 518January 25, 2019 5:00 AM

Charlie Cox is playing the Jerry role in Betrayal? That does not bode well for Hiddleston. Charlie has a lot of gravitas, charisma and has the most beautiful voice! I'm sure Tom will be good but no way will Cox let him chew the scenery.

by Anonymousreply 519January 25, 2019 5:35 AM

R518 well, she has a privet jet, tons of cars and bodyguards, 10 milion $ apartment in New York etc. He didn't even want to pay for her hotel when she visited him on Thor set and was trying to drop the bill on Marvel so...

R511 his net worth is nowhere near 20 million $, please don't make me laugh. He got like 200 000 $ for his first Thor movie.

R502 the house cost 2.85 £ milion and I do agree with you on that 7, and remember it's net worth, this does not mean that he has 7 milion £ on bank account.

R508 and you just noticed that, he's been doing this for years.

by Anonymousreply 520January 25, 2019 12:25 PM

R518 - That's absurd. What he was after was a jumped up international profile and bona fide hetero cred with Swiftie, either broadly or if he still had the remotest idea he could be in the running as the next 007. Joe Alwyn probably isn't worth anything like Swift, either - is he dating her for her money? How come no one is worried about Hemsworth not having enough money to support his wife and three children on his lack of anything like a decent career outside of Marvel?

I think Hiddleston's reasons for engaging in the Swift debacle were transparent, which is why the episode did exactly the opposit of what he hoped for. It's not feasible that it wasn't arranged on both sides. Swiftie wanted something out of it, too - another English boyfriend who was famous, kinda sorta, but not enough overshadow her.

This was a PR stunt from first to last, and Hiddleston should have fired that PR twink who travels around with him.

by Anonymousreply 521January 25, 2019 2:20 PM

Charlie Cox is a C-List actor, also with a Marvel role, only one that didn't quite do for him what Loki did for Hiddleston despite all that charisma, gravitas, and beautiful voice, ditto a sprinkling of roles like a supporting one in The Theory of Everything and another short one in Downtown Abbey, neither of which, curiosuly, wiped Eddie Redmayne or Michelle Doughery off the screens. I think TH has a reasonable chance of holding his own with Cox, who for all the amazing gifts you list, remains . . . a C-list actor.

Look, you clearly hate Hiddlston's guts. I don't know where your animus comes from (are you short?), but clearly the entire world has missed out on the Cox charisma that so far has failed to catapult him to major stardom. Perhaps "Betrayal" will finally wake the rest of the world up to what you know.

by Anonymousreply 522January 25, 2019 2:45 PM

R519 - It isn't up to Charlie Cox to stop TH or anyone else from "chewing the scenery", not least because 1) the role of Robert doesn't lend itself to scenery chewing - it's a much more internalised sort of role, and 2) the director will be calling the shots - not Cox and not TH. Directors have never complained about a lack of willingness on Hiddleston's part to do what directors want to get a part right.

The projections of every possible thespian flaw onto a well-trained and generally decently regarded actor who has held his own in Shakespearte in the company of other distinguished acors is starting to sound pathological.

He's not Laurence Olivier and he may not even be Mark Rylance or Ben Whishaw - I would pretty much agree on that.

But he's hardly William Shatner or Kevin Costner. Chew the scenery - he wasn't accused of chewing the scenery in Coriolanus where he well might have, or as Prince Hal, or Henry V, where, if anything, his performance was far too restrained (and I blame the director for that, too).

It's the director who will shape the performances, not Charlie Cox. Jesus - who knew that this minor C-list actor had so much influence and power that he was going to set the tone onstage for this?

Give it a rest, will you? Charlie Cox is a nobody and they'll all do what the director tells them.

by Anonymousreply 523January 25, 2019 4:22 PM

I haven't seen Charlie Cox on stage or on screen really but I saw the Donmar Coriolanus. Hiddleston was good but Hadley Fraser and Peter de Jersey were flawless. They're true stage actors and Hiddleston didn't compare favourably with them. He spent a lot of time strutting around trying to be very alpha as if this was the one and only quality of his character. Betrayal will be interesting. I haven't decided if I'll get tickets. I want to see some reviews first. I personally think Jerry is the more glamorous and meaty of the male roles and Robert the one needing more skill and subtlety. Cox may get the better of Hiddleston in reviews simply because Jerry has more evocative scenes.

by Anonymousreply 524January 25, 2019 4:53 PM

Tom H lives in a house that used to belong to a friend of mine so anyone who knows HER name can look up the address but why would you do that? Seriously: Robert is far and away the better role of the two men and Jerry tends to come across as comparatively dim. The number of Roberts who have made mincemeat of their Jerrys is legendary and includes Ben Kingsley over Jeremy Irons in the film, and Ben Miles over Dougie Henshall at this same theatre (the Pinter) and, unforgettably, Sam West over Toby Stephens, tho' Toby is a total no-talent so that is no surprise. The big query here is whether Zawe Ashton can carry off the wonderful part of Emma. I have my doubts but we will see. Helen McCrory would have been amazing in it back in the day - ditto Lia Williams - but they are both way too old now.

Who has the bigger cock: Tom H or Charlie C?

by Anonymousreply 525January 25, 2019 4:59 PM

Omg BREATHE, person at R522, R523, R524. I have not posted anywhere upthread but you need to cool it with the overwrought theses on Hiddleston's prospects. I am also very tall, thank you,

You'll be crying in May because EVERYONE who has read Pinter knows that Jerry (along with Emma) is the deeper, more flawed character. Tally ho!

by Anonymousreply 526January 25, 2019 5:16 PM

Charlie Cox is C list because he hasnt got the chance to suck Brannagh's dick yet. Were he to get the opportunity, I assure you he, like any other functional adult with reasonable cognitive ability, would not squander the opportunity by wearing an I <3 TS t-shirts, faking a romance with the King Kong of Power Lezzies Tay Tay Swift and whoring himself at Comiccon bringing shame and ignominy to the very concept of an A lister.

by Anonymousreply 527January 25, 2019 5:19 PM

****wearing an I <3 TS t-shirt

by Anonymousreply 528January 25, 2019 5:20 PM

Bigger cock = Hiddles. Thicker cock = Charlie. Better butt = Charlie

by Anonymousreply 529January 25, 2019 5:22 PM

R523 = Tom

by Anonymousreply 530January 25, 2019 5:27 PM

You guys are stupid. It takes a Daniel Craig to blow a Rafe Spall out of the water. Jeremy Irons and Ben Kingsley were equally impressive. Cox is a TV critics' darling- the same place and universe where Hiddleston is headed incidentally before you scoff- and will be evenly matched with Hiddleston in terms of his talent and role.

by Anonymousreply 531January 25, 2019 5:40 PM

Charlie Cox is a C-lister? Sorry but Tom ain't A-List either.

by Anonymousreply 532January 25, 2019 7:16 PM

R521 he can't fire him, cause then there will be no one to fuck R524 being alpha is the one and only quality of his character that he lacks :D R525 everybody knows his address already. My bets go on Hiddles at least if we're talking about length.

by Anonymousreply 533January 25, 2019 7:49 PM

R525 Kingsley most certainly didn't make mincemeat of Irons in the film version. That whole film was subpar but Kingsley during the lunch scene was all but manic and so disappointing. For how Robert should be played cf Pinter's own performance in the radio version from the 90s. Emotional and knowing but in an almost resigned way. Irons was rather good in both the opening scene and closing scene of the film. That's why I said Cox may have the jump on Hiddleston. Jerry and Emma bookend the play, the end and the beginning of their affair. Those scenes tend to stick in the minds of an audience.

by Anonymousreply 534January 25, 2019 10:05 PM

R530 = Taylor Swift

by Anonymousreply 535January 25, 2019 11:56 PM

He has a CHANCE that I hope he wont blow again to a disastrous ending. Even in his press/ media / ComicCon appaerances he sounds desperate to be liked. I hope he doesnt comd back to his smig days. And soon we will see another beard?

by Anonymousreply 536January 26, 2019 4:11 AM

He has no movies lined up. Pretty telling. Kind of over for him.

by Anonymousreply 537January 26, 2019 5:08 AM

These comments are beyond risible. I, um, doubt it's "over for him" just because he doesn't have 10 films listed on IMDB (guess what, peeps, some folks choose NOT to do certain things at certain times.) and no, NOT everyone knows his address, thank heavens, or there would be bedlam in NW3. Sheesh, with this level of moronic response, one wonders why he even bothers doing plays anymore - who would want to confront you lot as a public????

by Anonymousreply 538January 26, 2019 7:40 AM

Well then, Tom's manager at r538, he shouldnt. He needn't confront us at all. He can stay home and count his Marvel money,

by Anonymousreply 539January 26, 2019 8:42 AM

I somehow doubt that post is from Tom's manager, actually.

by Anonymousreply 540January 26, 2019 9:09 AM

no films in imdb is almost game over that is true

by Anonymousreply 541January 26, 2019 11:40 AM

[quote]Jerry and Emma bookend the play, the end and the beginning of their affair. Those scenes tend to stick in the minds of an audience.

Possibly, but Robert has the aces of 1) the long central knife-twisting Venice scene with Emma, and 2) the scene where he almost offhandedly informs Jerry how long he's known he's been cuckolded. Aces which played well give Robert memorable weight beyond that of the glamorous entitled adulterers.

by Anonymousreply 542January 26, 2019 12:19 PM

We even had DL thread about his adress and house in 2013, because someone found it online and the tasteful(less) friends of datalounge where bitching mercilessly about his interior design.

by Anonymousreply 543January 26, 2019 12:39 PM

R536 - I agree - which was the only point I had been trying to make all along. He's a decent actor, he's made some terrible choices, he is desperate for attention and approval (and I agree with those who think that may go back to his father's disapproval of the choice to pursue acting) and that's why he's at Comic Con not because he's desperate for money, and if he stops trying to turn himself into an A-list leading man film star, he has a chance to revive his career, but in a different direction. We'll have to wait and see how he does this spring onstage.

As for another beard - I don't know why he doesn't just find himself a sweet English rose his mother will adore and who would be thrilled to be Mrs TH, take a back seat to his career and keep the home fires burning and give him a couple of kids. It would be much the best track for him romatnically, as he seems specacularly uninterested in women.

by Anonymousreply 544January 26, 2019 2:12 PM

Oh for God's sake, he's still going to get work. But I don't think he'll ever be a big star, even though that business with Taylor Swift sure put him in the limelight for a short while.

by Anonymousreply 545January 26, 2019 7:53 PM

R511 kids this days, they don't know how to use uncle google, do they?

by Anonymousreply 546January 26, 2019 8:48 PM

R543 yes, I remember that beautiful sculpture that he kept :D

by Anonymousreply 547January 26, 2019 9:36 PM

his house was nice i saw the ad just before he bought it. next to tim burton

by Anonymousreply 548January 27, 2019 2:20 AM

News from yeaterday in most tabloids Next James Bond Odds-On Favorite Is Still Tom Hiddleston RYAN SCOTT— January 25th, 2019in MOVIE

by Anonymousreply 549January 27, 2019 4:48 AM

[quote] I know Hiddleston's "Coriolanus" reviews were good. Then again, a couple of my classics-loving friends actually walked out of the movie theater because they though he was godawful. So I feel comfortable in my middle-of-the-road estimation

R404, so your friends saw the play broadcast in a cinema? That’s hardly a perfect way to judge a play. There’s a reason why people go see theatre live rather than rely on DVDs. I saw “Coriolanus” live and he was the direct opposite of “godawful”. I had no idea who he even was at the time (I went just to see this rare Shakespeare play, which doesn’t get staged very often), and was pleasantly impressed by the lead actor (Hiddleston).

by Anonymousreply 550January 27, 2019 6:07 AM

Well, R550, not all of us live in Britain or are willing to travel there to see Hiddleston on stage. I agree that a broadcast is not a great way to judge a stage production, but the acting itself usually holds up just fine. R524's post is evidence that not everyone who saw Tom's Coriolanus live was as impressed as you were.

by Anonymousreply 551January 27, 2019 7:44 AM

R551, but R524 doesn’t seem to agree with your cinema-going friends either. R524 expressly said that “Hiddleston was [italic]good[/italic]” - he doesn’t share your friends’ surprisingly extreme opinion that “he was [italic]godawful[/italic]”. And R524 didn’t seem to want to “actually walk out” of the theatre because of Hiddleston like your cinema friends. Your friends’ reaction is so drastic which is why I’m questioning the quality and reliability of that cinema broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 552January 27, 2019 8:28 AM

R552, I've seen that broadcast too, and I don't agree with my friends either. I think his abilities may fairly be called "second-rate", and whether that's meant in the literal sense, as in "good but not great", or the figurative, as in "pretty shitty", depends on who's talking. I tend to judge all my actors against the best ones, so I'm a harsh critic. And why not? With 100+ years of international film talent to choose from, I see no need to settle for second-rate.

by Anonymousreply 553January 27, 2019 9:11 AM

R553, I’m more of a theatre-goer than a cinema-goer, and theatre audiences obviously don’t have 100+ years of talent to choose from. Many of the unequivocally “great” thespians are unfortunately dead or getting close to it and won’t be appearing on stage anymore. So one has to look at the current roster. For me, Hiddleston fits the bill of a very good actor for his age group in theatre productions. I don’t use the label “great actor” (in the formal thesp sense) lightly.

Personally, I wouldn’t equate good or very good with “second-rate”. Good, for me, good means job well done, thumbs up. The “tier-system” is very misleading. Because even assumed “first-rate” actors are not “first-rate” in every production. E.g. I’d rather go to a “first-rate” performance by an assumed “second-rate” leading actor than a “second-rate” job by an assumed “first-rate” leading actor. I don’t see that as “settling”, I see that as choosing the best option on a case-by-case review basis.

by Anonymousreply 554January 27, 2019 11:31 AM

R544 You made a very good point here. The problem I think is that the only women that would be thrilled to be Mrs TH are his stans. I'm guessing that he would want to beard with someone rich and posh and if you have money/name/position why would you go with someone who is spectacularly uninterested in you? And let's be real here, any women that he show up with, fake or not will be compared to Swift.

by Anonymousreply 555January 27, 2019 11:41 AM

[quote] I saw the Donmar Coriolanus. Hiddleston was good [...] Hiddleston didn't compare favourably with them. He spent a lot of time strutting around trying to be very alpha as if this was the one and only quality of his character.

R524, was this the main flaw that you saw in the portrayal of the character? Because there are 2 issues here:

(1) If a stage actor spends a “lot of time” doing something on stage (e.g. ominously strutting around) - that’s usually the director’s precise direction. Stage actors don’t generally just do anything they fancy on stage - they follow the director’s vision.

Donmar’s Josie Rourke was the director of that production and her vision was (clearly intentionally) to present the Roman general and national war hero as an aloof, elitist, stoic, hyper-alpha military type (which is the traditional reading of that character). And Rourke’s production purposefully underscored the general’s alpha military quality and status even more. IIRC (it was years ago that I saw it), that production even opened with a scene of Coriolanus completely drenched in post-battle blood (his own mixed with his enemies’). That opening symbolism intentionally and expressly set the ‘alpha warrior’ tone straight away.

Was there nuance and subtlety? Yes, as far as I recall. His scenes with his Roman family (mother & wife), where he questioned his militaristic ideology and his own arrogant convictions, etc.

(2) “Coriolanus” is a play which is not staged too often precisely because many consider it not to be Shakespeare’s finest play - because the main protagonist is (inherently) not fleshed out well in the play’s speeches (whereas speeches are the main tool of character development in Shakespeare’s other plays). The premise of the character’s internal & social conflict (turning from a national hero into a national traitor, because of his supremacist class elitism, and then back again into a self-sacrificing hero) is quite interesting. However, the play’s monologues, dialogues and overall storyline lack the same level of psychological depth, subtle explanation of possible motives and emotional ‘punch’ as e.g. “Hamlet”. Shakespeare doesn’t give Coriolanus the same level of juicy, soul-revealing material as he gives Hamlet or Macbeth, in terms of agonising, self-questioning monologues, even though their internal conflicts (betrayal of their respective nations) are all somewhat similar.

Theatre critics say the following about the protagonist in “Coriolanus” in general: “The warrior Coriolanus is perhaps the most opaque of Shakespeare's tragic heroes, rarely pausing to soliloquise or reveal [his] motives [...] In this way, he is less like the effervescent and reflective Shakespearean heroes/heroines [... e.g. Hamlet], and more like figures from ancient classical literature such as [...] Aeneas [...] Readers and playgoers have often found him an unsympathetic character.”

Despite these inherent limitation in terms of the play’s narration, structure and character writing, I think Hiddleston did an excellent job with the Shakespearean material he had. He actually made a vaguely-written, inconsistent, class-supremacist protagonist emotionally understandable, even likeable and resonant to an extent, when I saw it at least. And his portrayal seemed to resonate with the critics as well.

by Anonymousreply 556January 27, 2019 12:02 PM

True, R554, theater does make you consider your options more realistically. That's why, having adored it in my youth, I virtually stopped going: there's a limit to the amount of mediocrity I can take. But when I do, it's usually in London or in Moscow. British and Russian theater training is often worth traveling to see, even if I can't extend that to include Hiddleston.

R555, posh people are expected to marry within their own ranks. If a woman's inheritance is contingent upon a proper marriage and no suitable love comes along in due time, she could do worse than marry a famous handsome actor.

by Anonymousreply 557January 27, 2019 1:31 PM

R556 Nothing to do on a Sunday Tom?

by Anonymousreply 558January 27, 2019 3:05 PM

Well, laugh all you like. I’m taking precious time away from my [italic]craft[/italic] to educate the ungrateful Plebeian lot about my calling in Shakespearean theatAH - to please YOU, the unappeasable audience.

But at this point, I have to agree with my noble, equally misunderstood former character and soulmate, Caius Marcius Coriolanus: Power should not be given to the fickle hoi polloi masses, who elevate you one day and tear you down the other. And anything you do for the thankless rabble is all for naught!

SCENE I. Rome. A street.

Coriolanus: [bold]“What's the matter, you [italic]dissentious rogues[/italic] / That, rubbing the poor itch of your opinion, / Make yourselves scabs?[/bold]

He that will give good words to thee will flatter / Beneath abhorring. What would you have, you [italic]curs[/italic], / That like nor peace nor war? the one affrights you, / The other makes you proud.

He that trusts to you, / Where he should find you lions, finds you hares; / Where foxes, geese: [bold]you are no surer, no, / Than is the coal of fire upon the ice, / Or hailstone in the sun.[/bold]

Your virtue is / To make him worthy whose offence subdues him / And curse that justice did it.

[bold]Who deserves greatness / Deserves your hate[/bold]; and your affections are / A sick man's appetite, who desires most that / Which would increase his evil.

[bold]He that depends / Upon your favours swims with fins of lead / And hews down oaks with rushes. Hang ye! Trust Ye?

With every minute you do change a mind, / And call him noble that was now your hate, / Him vile that was your [italic]garland[/italic]!”[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 559January 27, 2019 4:54 PM

I LIKE TH as I've made plain, I think he's a decent actor with serious emotional issues, and even I don't want him as 007 - he'd make a much better Bond villain than Bond himself. He's just not right for it.

I want Aidan Turner as the next Bond.

Rephrase: I want Aidan Turner.

by Anonymousreply 560January 27, 2019 5:49 PM

What would Shakespeare (pronounced in that fucking pretentious way some theatre folk do - Shockspeer) say about those who depend on comic book tv shows and comic book conventions to make a living and stay relevant?

by Anonymousreply 561January 27, 2019 5:54 PM

He'd make a vivid secondary character out of such a person R561: mocking him to an extent, but also infusing him with enough self-knowledge - late on - to create middling pathos.

The character would be commented on teasingly by his peers and superiors - but basically tolerated as all too human in his ambitious neediness.

by Anonymousreply 562January 27, 2019 6:02 PM

R561, who knows, but Shakespeare would possibly be understanding. After all, it appears he himself went through something similar - for 7 years he was unaccounted for and possibly engaged in work that was beneath his social status and station:

[quote] “Scholars refer to 7 years as Shakespeare's "lost years". Shakespeare's first biographer recounted a Stratford legend that Shakespeare fled the town for London to escape prosecution for deer poaching in the estate of local squire. Another 18th C story has Shakespeare [earning a living by] minding the horses of theatre patrons in London.”

Shakespeare would possibly also be understanding because he himself was branded a 2nd-rate playwright by some contemporaries, compared to the “greats” of his time:

[quote] He was attacked in print by the playwright Robert Greene: “There is an upstart Crow, beautified with our feathers, that with his Tiger's heart wrapped in a Player's hide, supposes he is as well able to bombast out a blank verse as the best of you: and being an absolute Johannes factotum, is in his own conceit the only Shake-scene in a country.” [...] Most [scholars] agree that Greene was accusing Shakespeare of reaching above his rank in trying to match such writers as Christopher Marlowe, Thomas Nashe [...] [bold]As used here, Johannes Factotum ("Jack of all trades") refers to a second-rate tinkerer with the work of others, rather than the more common "universal genius".”[/bold]

Finally, Shakespeare could possibly be understanding because he himself was an actor for 15 years. He was probably very good but nobody remembers him as an actor. Luckily for him, he was an equity part-owner in his acting company, so he could give himself parts. Even though the experience could apparently be gruelling:

[quote] The Atlantic: [bold]“From beginning to end of a Globe performance, playgoers of all classes criticized freely and loudly. They volunteered advice, often hissed, and occasionally hurled an orange or two [...] Shakespeare the actor fell somewhere between these poles. While there is no indication that he was ever a box-office draw[/bold] - that responsibility was left to the clownish antics of Will Kemp and the brooding heroics of Richard Burbage - he was always classed among the principal players of the company”.

by Anonymousreply 563January 27, 2019 7:13 PM

[quote] What would Shakespeare (pronounced in that fucking pretentious way some theatre folk do - Shockspeer) say about those who depend on comic book tv shows and comic book conventions to make a living and stay relevant?

Remember that plays were not considered high art in Shakespeare's youth--they were considered popular art. And Shakespeare's early plays were bawdy works, like The Comedy of Errors. Just because he's high art today does not mean he was considered as such when he started out. As he got older and his reputation grew he started writing plays for the queen and then for the king who succeeded her--but that was much later in his career.

by Anonymousreply 564January 27, 2019 7:17 PM

When world-acclaimed british thespian/Shakespeare authority Thomas William Hiddleston at R559 is not busy reciting Shakespeare to the ducks at some London park, he generously joins us unknowing, uneducated, bitchy plebeians at datalounge to educate us on all matters Shakespeare related. Did I mention that Captain Hook is a shakesperian villain?

by Anonymousreply 565January 27, 2019 7:43 PM

Well, R565, it [italic]is[/italic] Sunday so I did practice a few iambic pentameter sonnets on the mallards in my nearby park. I think the mallards were a very appreciative, attentive audience (much more so than some philistines). Though I must confess I did bribe them with a brioche loaf beforehand. Maybe I should try the same brioche trick on some DLers, to make them more ebullient about my return to the stage?

Not sure about Capt Hook, but Loki is a Shakespearean-style antagonist, which is why a RADA-trained actor took to the character like fish to water.

Btw, was DL fave Andy Cohen channeling the Bard when he soliloquised: “no crueler place than this vile pit”? Sounds like he was paraphrasing Murellis from “Julius Ceaser”...

by Anonymousreply 566January 27, 2019 9:26 PM

*Marullus, that is. Act I, Scene 1.

by Anonymousreply 567January 27, 2019 9:34 PM

The mention of ducks made me recall that famous historical anecdote (for R561) about high art and circus elephants.

Balanchine (one of the greatest ballet choreographers of the 20th C) and Stravinsky (one of the greatest composers of the 20th C) at one point took on a job commission to concoct a ‘ballet’ / polka for 50 [bold]elephants[/bold] in a [italic]circus[/italic] - for a fat paycheck probably.

[quote] In 1942 Balanchine received a commission from Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey Circus to choreograph a polka for elephants. Balanchine called Stravinsky and asked him to compose the piece. [bold]Stravinsky asked for whom the music was to be composed. “Elephants,” replied Balanchine. “How old?” asked Stravinsky. “Young.” "If they are very young, I will do it,” said the composer.[/bold]

[quote] Apparently, Stravinsky was concerned that older elephants might be startled by the unusual [modernist] rhythms and harmonies of his music, officially titled later “Circus Polka for Wind Symphony”. Using a 2/4 meter, the music sometimes comically lurches like an elephant out of step.”

That classical duo didn’t see it as beneath them, though the classical duo that preceded them (Tchaikovsky and Petipa) would have probably raised an eyebrow. However, Petipa had royal / Imperial patronage (with access to the deep pockets of the wealthiest royal family in Europe). And Tchaikovsky had the generous patronage of a wealthy widow. So that saved them both from taking on low-brow commissions during temporary periods of no income.

by Anonymousreply 568January 27, 2019 10:12 PM

I see the same two fangirl trolls are still trolling here, all because they are a) mentally ill and b) still furious at Hiddleston for his episode with Taylor Swift.

by Anonymousreply 569January 27, 2019 11:03 PM

R569 If they were embarrassed and shocked it is fair enough. He was presented as sophisticated educated elegant and almost perfection. To see him dating as if it was the love of his life, someone so young that made him old, uneducated, silly, known for bearding, and silly songs. It is perfectly understandable. That Tshirt was the biggest embarrassment of recent times for someone supposedly smart talented and elegant

by Anonymousreply 570January 27, 2019 11:27 PM

Also for someone who had an education and went to Eton/cambridge/Rada to show the world his inability to convey his words into a proper speech to receive and award is pretty shocking.

by Anonymousreply 571January 27, 2019 11:29 PM

It's a shame seeing Joe Alwyn here wasting his time on DL slagging Tom Hiddleston on Alwyn's beard's behalf.

by Anonymousreply 572January 27, 2019 11:43 PM

Sophisticated?! How is giving piggyback rides to stans and and dressing up as a cartoon character off set for a comic con sophisticated?

by Anonymousreply 573January 27, 2019 11:53 PM

He is not sophisticated, it was just the image his PRs had handcrafted before TS. Many fans didnt bother about it. but some felt dissapointment or logical embarrassment. Some DLs think that fraus felt betrayed because they all secretly want him in their beds (sic) but obviously after thst he looked silly and the fandom realised it was all handcrafted and he was as pathetic and silly as TS if not worse. Betrayal is his opportunity to be considered a serious actor again and not a teen entertainment

by Anonymousreply 574January 28, 2019 12:17 AM

[quote] That Tshirt was the biggest embarrassment of recent times for someone supposedly smart talented and elegant

Oh, pish posh. Puking on the street, or being caught pants down with a hooker, is an “embarrassment”. Wearing a T-shirt with the name of one of the richest, most popular singers on the entire planet is hardly notable. The world is upside down. I love how the press managed to suck out a ‘scandal’ out of something so unremarkably trivial. How is something so prosaic still being discussed for almost 3 YEARS? All of this is pure pettifogging.

by Anonymousreply 575January 28, 2019 6:07 AM

[quote] To see him dating as if it was the love of his life, someone so young that made him old, uneducated, silly, known for bearding, and silly songs.

“Someone so young”? Oh, for heaven’s sake, Swift was 27, she’d be considered an over-the-hill spinster some decades ago. She wasn’t some 18-y.o. ingénue. Hiddleston was 35. They’re both born in the 80s: Hiddleston was born in ‘81, Swift in ‘89.

As for being silly, tale as old as time. When Arthur Miller got together with Monroe a lot of people balked at the incongruence: Miller - a literary powerhouse, Monroe - a pin-up who specialised in the silliest, shallow, ditzy movies, delivered lines in a childish teen voice and had problems even remembering lines. “Otto Preminger said working with Marilyn was “like directing Lassie”. Olivier was even more scathing: “She is the stupidest, most self-indulgent tart I have ever come across.” “

Having said that, both Monroe and Swift weren’t just dumb blondes - they had enough brain cells to realise that it’s the masses who are the vacuous ones, and in order to get super-rich an artist needs to cater to the lowest common denominator. That’s why Monroe sang Happy Bday without knickers, and why Swift writes silly romantic songs and sold out stadiums.

The bearding or opportunism is true, but anyone who expects HW relationships in general to be ‘real’ is a lost cause.

by Anonymousreply 576January 28, 2019 6:14 AM

[quote] Also for someone who had an education and went to Eton/cambridge/Rada to show the world his inability to convey his words into a proper speech to receive and award is pretty shocking.

Oh, the speech was [italic]exactly[/italic] what you’d expect from an Eton grad, R571. I’m more shocked that you are shocked! It’s a super-elitist school, for Pete’s sake - it doesn’t teach you “[italic]commoner[/italic]-type propriety”, “bourgeois sensibility” and “middle-class rational thinking”, it teaches you how to rule the hoi polloi, in an imperial-colonial style.

The speech was imbued with deliciously unadulterated Aristotelian pathos and was pure Etonian perfection in that sense. (You can just about imagine it being orated inside the school’s historic halls and reverberating off its ancient stone walls.)

It was a loyal-to-the-core homage to Etonian canon and ticks literally all boxes: It touched upon ‘grave world matters’ like politics and war (arms dealing) and the speaker’s humble top-down ‘service’ for the underprivileged masses, to alleviate their plight and as his modest contribution to improving the world. And [italic]of course[/italic] he included a French word, because what is a good oration without a French [italic]bon mot[/italic], I dare say! It’s second nature to an Etonian, almost instinctual. ([bold]Frankly, my only gripe with his speech is that he didn’t segue into Latin.[/bold])

Now, you might not like the speech and believe it’s out-of-touch patrician tosh, but as we’re dealing with an Etonian - you can bet it reflected a sincerely-held, proud upper-class belief that he was of ‘service’ to the less fortunate.

by Anonymousreply 577January 28, 2019 8:18 AM

Btw, Eton also produced recent illustrious alumni like David Cameron (Britain’s ex-PM) and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson (Britain’s ex-Foreign Secretary and ex-Mayor of London). If anyone thinks Eton and Oxford taught them to be in-touch with the sensibilities of the masses, they’d be sourly mistaken. The number of upper-classist speech gaffes and foot-in-mouth delights these proud Etonian sons produced is close to legendary:

[quote] “In another gaffe deemed roundly out of touch, Mr Cameron reluctantly said he didn't know how much a loaf of bread costs in Britain because he’s fortunate enough to have a bread maker: “I don’t buy the value sliced loaf, I’ve got a bread maker at home which I delight in using and it turns out in all sorts of a different ways,” he said.”

[quote] “Mr Johnson was widely condemned after claiming the Libyan city of Sirte would have a bright future as a British luxury resort once they “cleared the dead bodies away”.

[quote] “The British ambassador to Myanmar was forced to stop Boris Johnson mid-sentence as he recited a colonial-era Rudyard Kipling poem in the country’s most sacred temple. In the “stunning” gaffe Mr Johnson also referred to a golden statue in the Shwedagon Padoga temple as a “very big guinea pig” and soon after burst into verse.”

[quote] As Mr Johnson recited the poem, the British Ambassador to Myanmar, Andrew Patrick, grew visibly tense. When the Foreign Secretary said the poem's third line (“the wind is in the palm trees ... the temple bells they say”) Mr Patrick decided to interject. “You're on mic,” he said. “Probably not a good idea.” Mr Johnson replied: “What, The Road to Mandalay?”. “No,” the ambassador said, “not appropriate.” “

by Anonymousreply 578January 28, 2019 8:29 AM

(560) Agree he'd make an excellent Bond villain and I suspect he might enjoy the goolie-whacking torture scenes,

by Anonymousreply 579January 28, 2019 8:47 AM

Would you two and your long winded, boring essays go back to tumblr?

by Anonymousreply 580January 28, 2019 12:02 PM

[quote]Stravinsky (one of the greatest composers of the 20th C)

Simply marvellous what one can learn here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 581January 28, 2019 1:31 PM

I don't know him.

by Anonymousreply 582January 28, 2019 1:37 PM

Bet you didn’t know he composed polkas for circus elephants though, eh R581?

Be open to new knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 583January 28, 2019 2:32 PM

R580 = philistine. Why don’t you give us some new info to discuss instead then?

People are turning to new points about culture & theatre because circular arguments about the t-shirt episode from 3 years and the comic cons have already run their course. There’s no point re-hashing the same old tedious arguments over and over and over...

by Anonymousreply 584January 28, 2019 2:42 PM

Dumbass at R584, the problem is that you mistakenly think your takes on art, culture or anything is interesting or profound. I get that Hiddleston's career is obviously stalled out and frustrates you, so you have to punish DL with your "musings".

by Anonymousreply 585January 28, 2019 3:28 PM

R584 - Someone had to tell them . . .

by Anonymousreply 586January 28, 2019 3:49 PM

R585 - apologies, I erroneously took you for a philistine, but based on your history (“cunt” this, dumbass” that) it appears you’re just a bossy harridan, getting OTT angry over trivial matters. My bad.

And “punish DL”? Do you imagine yourself speaking for all DL now? Did Muriel appoint you cranky hall manageress for the day? Early signs of schizo...

Anyway, please do go on. I invited you to contribute smthg piquant to the discussion. But it seems you just want to obsess over a T-shirt from 3 years ago and the same old broken record about the comic cons... How ‘avant-garde’ you are, how ‘riveting’ compared to others. Zzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 587January 28, 2019 4:36 PM

She did appoint me. I love how riled up and angry you are right now. What more can be said about the stalled out career of a guy who puts on a greasy black wig and pretends to be a cartoon character?

by Anonymousreply 588January 28, 2019 4:53 PM

The only thing this guy is known for is playing a villain in some of the Marvel movies. He doesn't really have a career outside of that. I don't get all the attention.

by Anonymousreply 589January 28, 2019 5:38 PM

You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap insults R585? You look like a rube. A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste. Good nutrition has given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, R585? And that accent you've tried so desperately to shed? Pure West Brixton. What's your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamb? You know how quickly the boys found you... all those tedious sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars... while you could only dream of getting out... getting anywhere... getting all the way to the datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 590January 28, 2019 6:12 PM

R590 - Afternoon, Dr Lecter. Have you switched the fava beans for shepherd's pie?

by Anonymousreply 591January 28, 2019 7:57 PM

Hannibal Lecter would have looked down on Shakespeare because he wasn't a university man, and his father was a glove maker. Not such a great exemplar of snobbery.

by Anonymousreply 592January 28, 2019 8:12 PM

R589 - It's a comic book character, not a cartoon character, and you keep harping on it as if Chris Hemsworth wasn't doing the exact same thing. Meanwhile, Hiddleston actually attracted a fair amount of attention for The Night Manager and a Golden Globe. Your beating the "cartoon character" drum is starting to sound a bit forced.

If you don't get the attention - what are you doing here? Or are you really Joe Alwyn, after all?

by Anonymousreply 593January 28, 2019 8:16 PM

Oh, and as for what Shakespeare would or wouldn't have approved of or written about - the truth is, we know jack shit about Shakespeare. As any honest scholar will tell you, we really only know four things for certain about him: where he was born, when he was born, who he married, and when he died. Everything else is and always had been arguable.

by Anonymousreply 594January 28, 2019 8:19 PM

R565 In addition to Shakespeare, Mr Hiddleston enjoys fake romances, bearding for closeted lesbians, and torpedoing his own career.

by Anonymousreply 595January 28, 2019 8:25 PM

What the fuck does Hemsworth have to do with anything? Everybody knows he is a giant flop outside of Thor, per numerous industry articles? Grasping at straws.

And who gives a shit about a bought and paid for GG? Call me when he wins an Emmy or even gets nominated for a SAG or an Oscar.or even a BAFTA.

by Anonymousreply 596January 28, 2019 8:26 PM

He won the Laurence Olivier Award in 2008 for Cymbeline (that's Shakespeare, in case you forgot).

He WAS nominated for a BAFTA, its Rising Star Award in 2014

He won the Evening Standard Theatre Best Actor Award for "Coriolanus"

He got a Critic's Choice Best Actor nomination for The Night Manager

He also got two Prime Time Emmy Award nomination for The Night Manager.

You're quite amusing, you know?

by Anonymousreply 597January 28, 2019 8:55 PM

I am sure his bring up the Evening Standard award and other nominations, not wins, in his negotiations. Critcs' Choice is a step above a People's Choice award.

No one cares about the British revision of a Tony award from 10 years ago...but you. I guess that rising star nomination was premature. Please let me know when he wins something agents, studios, directors and producers actually care about, like the awards mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 598January 28, 2019 9:12 PM

R598 - The truth is, he could win an Oscar and you'd say it was fixed, or a bad year, or he had lousy competition, and discover a cure for cancer and give it out free on street corners, and you'd still badmouth him. You've got a thing about him. It's rather sad.

by Anonymousreply 599January 28, 2019 9:34 PM

I was thinking today about how obsolete might jis play “Betrayal” be to todays world given the rising number of divorces. And the lack of seriousness and fluidity love has nowadays. Marriage was a more serious thing back in the day. Sadly for Tom, Successful Cumberbatch does up-to-date topics like his latest film about Brexit. Excellent it was! That must be a rocky friendship, Ben has everything he lacks!

by Anonymousreply 600January 28, 2019 11:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!