Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eileen Ryan

She is an actress and the mother of Sean Penn. In her younger days she was a doppelganger for Meryl Streep. But I think her acting had more edge i.e. she played bitches better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 16, 2020 7:35 AM

Never heard of her.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2017 4:09 PM

Oh so he's one of those guys who is only attracted to women who remind him of his mother.

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2017 5:38 PM

she's a great old broad and actress

she played his grandma in At Close Range

THAT was one intense movie.....

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2017 6:23 PM

Wow. His dad must be a dog.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2017 6:29 PM

She was in the Twilight Zone episode where Howard Duff is sent into a world where he's an actor who was playing his life in a movie. Eileen played his horrible wife and was pretty unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2017 6:32 PM

She looks so much like Robin Wright

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2017 6:33 PM

At first I thought the thread title read "Irene Ryan" and was looking forward to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2017 6:37 PM

She looks like a cross between his two exes. Robin and Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2017 6:41 PM

We need a good Irene Ryan thread.

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2017 6:41 PM

The only thing I remember seeing her in was Parenthood, though she had only one or two lines in there.

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2017 6:42 PM

Is Michael Penn a junkie?

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2017 6:47 PM

R7 is Japanese.

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2017 8:05 PM

Eileen is in this episode of One Step Beyond as another mean lady. She is a mother who is none too happy that her daughter (played by DL legend Patty McCormack) can read minds. The episode also features Eileen's husband and Sean's father, Leo Penn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2017 10:51 AM

So THAT'S where Sean and Chris got their nasty-looking lips.

Though Chris's lips looked pretty hot back in the day. Sean's always looked like an angry anus.

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2017 11:27 AM

Boy Patty sure hit the wall early. She lost the cuteness she had in A Bad Seed (even though her character was evil) but it wasn't replaced with beauty. She should have been a teen star -- there were tons of films, tv, and music being created the emerging baby boomer generation. A really good actress too. She was at an awkward stage I guess.

Eileen Ryan had that look that was ubiquitous on early '60's TV. Very WASPy, a bit cold and aloof, very fashionable. His father was good looking too; surprising that he turned ugly.

by Anonymousreply 15August 11, 2017 11:47 AM

I didn't know it was Patty at first. I thought maybe it was Joy Harmon but the age seemed wrong. Even in black and white those dark eyebrows didn't match the blonde hair though she admitted that she had been bleaching it for years. Eileen looks so much like Meryl here it's spooky.

by Anonymousreply 16August 11, 2017 12:14 PM

Patty pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 11, 2017 12:19 PM

I thought Patty was pretty in a frau-ish kind of way in The Ropers. Even then, it was hard to believe she was with Jeffrey Tambor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 11, 2017 7:07 PM

Holy crap. Looks like Madonna as Dietrich in that early episode. Sean sure does have a mother complex. He's known to beat women so I can just imagine what she's done to him. Charlize Theron fits the type as well. Malade! Penn is so simple. Another DL mystery cracked.

by Anonymousreply 19August 11, 2017 8:58 PM

R4, here's Sean's dad, Leo Penn in a scene from "Fall Gyu" (1947).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 11, 2017 9:10 PM

*Fall Guy

by Anonymousreply 21August 11, 2017 9:11 PM

Did he play the Lee Majors part?

by Anonymousreply 22August 11, 2017 9:40 PM

wait, what? To this day i thought Sean Penn was Irving Penn's son, R20. I swear.

by Anonymousreply 23August 11, 2017 11:04 PM

Oh, I was thinking "irene Ryan", as in the college theater award, and Granny Clampett.

by Anonymousreply 24August 11, 2017 11:05 PM

Eileen must have had mixed emotions when presumably Sean and Chris got her cast in At Close Range, but then she had to play their grandmother!

by Anonymousreply 25August 12, 2017 3:12 AM

It turns out Eileen Ryan wasn't Irish, at all. Her parents names were: Rose Isabel & Amerigo Giuseppe Annucci. Double-Italian, just like new mommy-clone girlfriend, Leila George (Scacchi D'Onofrio).

Eileen is still alive. Why doesn't he just date her? What the hell was going on their house growing up for him to turn into who he did?

by Anonymousreply 26February 16, 2020 7:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!