Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is a membership to Equinox worth the cost?

I have a wide range of gyms in my area, and so far I like Equinox the most. It's kind of expensive though. Is the cost worth it? How are the trainers? How's the social scene?

by Anonymousreply 600August 8, 2019 4:05 PM

No, it's not.

I mean, it's very nice if you can afford it. If you can afford it, go for it.

by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2017 2:55 AM

Nope. NYSC has a ton of gyms in their network - some that cone very close to the quality at Equinox.

You're paying to stay away from the riff raff when pay for an Equinox membership.

by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2017 3:05 AM

What do you want from a gym, OP?

How old are you? How often do you work out? What sort of workout?

And which Equinox too--they vary tremendously by location.

Generally the locker rooms are nicer and cleaner and there is a larger selection of classes if that's your thing.

by Anonymousreply 3July 27, 2017 3:07 AM

r2, which NYSC locations are close to the same quality as Equinox? I've been a member at both over the years and based on my experiences, have to respectfully disagree with you.

by Anonymousreply 4July 27, 2017 3:09 AM

Nope. I go ____ Sports Clubs. MUCH better

by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2017 3:11 AM

In general, Equinox is probably the best gym chain in my area (NYC). They are expensive, but if you can afford it, I say go for it.

However, I will echo what R3 said above -- they vary greatly by location. Some locations seem to be a higher priority to the company than others. Those locations get the latest equipment, and I suspect better managers than other lower priority locations. If you choose Equinox, make sure you like the location that you will be frequenting. I'm not sure the price point is worth it for one of their lesser locations.

by Anonymousreply 6July 27, 2017 6:01 AM

OP, what did you decide to do?

by Anonymousreply 7September 2, 2017 4:18 AM

Depends on where you are and how old/what you're looking for. The LA locations are beautiful, but def scenes. You get dressed up to go to the gym. NYC, less so, but still a scene element. I pay the national because I can go in LA or Manhattan. You're paying for the crowd. Worth it to me, but maybe not everyone.

by Anonymousreply 8September 2, 2017 4:25 AM

Are you looking for hot steam room blowjobs?

by Anonymousreply 9September 2, 2017 4:28 AM

Definitely worth it for the sex.

Also worth it because it's 1) extremely clean 2) rarely crowded 3) you usually don't have to deal with shitty people (the trainer's are a whole other story) and 4) the sex, the sex, the sex.

by Anonymousreply 10September 2, 2017 5:17 AM

Tour a Planet Fitness before you commit

by Anonymousreply 11September 2, 2017 5:32 AM

R11. Ugh. Yes. Someone debating the pros and cons of Equinox is going to find their place at PF. Come on.

by Anonymousreply 12September 2, 2017 5:34 AM

Sshhhhh don't talk about the sex.

What sex?

That only happens at NYSC.

by Anonymousreply 13September 2, 2017 5:36 AM

Isn't it like, $1200 a month? WTF? For that much, I'd just rent whores and workout on my own.

by Anonymousreply 14September 2, 2017 6:12 AM

No

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2017 6:15 AM

R14 $280 for national access, so not quite $1,200 a month. Those people tied to one club pay about $180.

by Anonymousreply 16September 2, 2017 7:36 AM

They gym equipment is basically the same. Equinox is better maintained, has a much better locker (it's more like a spa), has better classes, better trainers and the clientele is richer and hotter. So if you just want to lift. anywhere is fine. If you want to get laid/meet a bf/hobnob with the hoi polloi, do Eq.

by Anonymousreply 17September 2, 2017 10:39 AM

"Hoi polloi" means the opposite of what you think it does R17, though it's a common mistake.

by Anonymousreply 18September 2, 2017 10:48 AM

Equinox is the place to go if you wanted a higher-end experience. And a spa-like locker room. But it's infested with MARY posers (both straight and gay.)

I prefer to go to a real man's gym. When guys sweat and are serious about working out.

by Anonymousreply 19September 2, 2017 11:02 AM

Equipment is the same. People at equinox are richer so if that's who you want to mingle with while going broke on the monthly fees, go for it

by Anonymousreply 20September 2, 2017 11:08 AM

r18 wow, never knew that. thanks

by Anonymousreply 21September 2, 2017 11:17 AM

[quote] But it's infested with MARY posers (both straight and gay.) I prefer to go to a real man's gym. When guys sweat and are serious about working out.

Apparently R19 was shunned.

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2017 2:05 PM

I mostly love Equinox. It's expensive, but it's first-rate. And I love seeing all those naked bodies after I work out.

by Anonymousreply 23September 7, 2017 4:39 AM

which one has the fewest towel dancers?

by Anonymousreply 24September 7, 2017 4:45 AM

R23 which location(s) do you go to?

by Anonymousreply 25September 7, 2017 4:47 AM

There's a certain masseur at a certain Equinox location in NYC who has a massive cock and he'll let you feel him up (fully erect) if you get to know him well enough.

But that's all I can tell you!

by Anonymousreply 26September 7, 2017 4:55 AM

What do you think of TMPL and the trainers there? How does it compare to Equinox?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 7, 2017 5:01 AM

R25, Equinox Sports Club on 67th and Columbus.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2017 6:12 AM

Don't do it OP! They just had a huge data breach! It's all over the news.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2017 9:22 AM

We've probably seen each other then, R28.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2017 12:29 AM

there are some in LA that have pools; I love swimming as an exercise and I would go if I could afford it, but I can't.

I don't get how people say money can't make you happy; it can sure make life easier, free up your time to pursue happiness. I'd be generous with my money; that would bring me happiness.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2017 12:34 AM

Why would I become a member, when they've had this massive data breach and put my credit information at risk!? It's just too much for me.

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2017 12:41 AM

Apparently for the buffet of cocks.

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2017 12:43 AM

I go to the Equinox on Market St. in San Francisco. It used to be a Sports Club LA, then Equinox bought it. It also used to be a place where you could pretty easily score a hand or blow job in the sauna or showers, but the gay clientele largely seems to have left. In a sweeping generalization, the members are largely douchey tech bros and financial types now. Some nice scenery, though, and as others have mentioned it's sparkling clean and well-maintained. Oh, and the Four Seasons Hotel is next door and Equinox is its de facto gym, so there's an occasional celebrity sighting. (I saw John McCain -- fully clothed -- talking on his cellphone in the outer locker room once.)

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2017 12:45 AM

^used to? There's still plenty of action there.

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2017 12:48 AM

Clearly, then, I'm going at the wrong time. I was there this afternoon and it was dead, action-wise.

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2017 12:53 AM

OP, you have to do A LOT self-reflection. Equinox is a very expensive gym and unless you know that you will work out 3-4 times religiously each week then I would choose someplace else. Is Equinox a very nice gym? ABSOLUTELY! and it's very clean too. But, all gyms are basically the same. If it is your goal to workout then anywhere, (especially less expensive) will do.

I've been a member for years. I pay $208/month for all access. That does not include "destination locations" (scam). The last two years I barely use it all and it is my own fault. I lost my training partner. Therefore, it has taken me all of this time to finally admit to myself that If I'm not going to use the gym then why not join Crunch or NYSC which are much cheaper until I get over my depression or get my motivation back?

My point is; If you KNOW that you are going to really use your Equinox membership then go for it. If not, then look for less expensive gyms. Because basically, they're all the same.

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2017 12:58 AM

[quote]Because basically, they're all the same.

EXCEPT FOR THE SEX!!!!

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2017 12:59 AM

Another reason I picked Equinox is because they supply free towels, soap, shampoo, razors, moisturizer, etc., so all I have to schlep is a tshirt and shorts, which easily fit in my messenger bag, and wear my athletic shoes. It's also on my way home from work, so I don't have to go out of my way at all to use it. (If I had to go all the home after work, grab a bag of workout stuff and then go to the gym, I'd never go to the gym.)

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2017 1:02 AM

What sex? I live in Manhattan and have trained at many of the Equinox clubs here and don't see steam room sex , etc . Tell me where to see this ? Most of the places are pretty classy and sometimes a bit smooth , and I don't see guys hook up there .. maybe after ;)

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2017 1:03 AM

[quote]EXCEPT FOR THE SEX!!!!

I'm a weird one, R38. I don't go to the gym for sex. I go to workout. While working with my workout partner we got to see some of the same people regularly and became "somewhat" friendly with them and many of the trainers, but we were there to workout.

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2017 1:03 AM

wow, so many companies are getting hacked!!!

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2017 1:04 AM

R39 some of the locations actually provide t-shirts, shorts, socks, jock straps, etc.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2017 1:07 AM

R40 no offense but if you're in Manhattan and you haven't seen any sex in any of the Equinoxes.... you must give off some sort of vibe that kills the sex.

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2017 1:08 AM

But, here's a point; I have an all access pass and for the first time I walked into the Equinox on East 64th St. WHAT A NICE GYM!!! That helped with stirring up my motivation again. So! before I give up Equinox I'm going to REALLY put in the effort of at least working out in all the Manhattan gyms at 2-3 times

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2017 1:08 AM

Greenwich is about the only place for sex/

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2017 1:09 AM

^most definitely NOT. There are at least 3 other gyms in the area that have 5x the amount of sex going on than the Greenwich location.

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2017 1:11 AM

I go to the one on 64th street too.

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2017 1:17 AM

Any locker room action stories at an L.A. Equinox, such as the one on Sepulveda, WeHo, Encino, etc?

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2017 1:51 AM

[quote]What do you think of TMPL and the trainers there? How does it compare to Equinox?

I've heard it's just "meh". The gym seems to always be looking for Personal Trainers. It's a very nice gym--I attended the opening party, but I don't know much more about it. Try "YELP".

by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2017 1:57 AM

No. In SF it's now over $200 a month.

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2017 2:03 AM

The Encino location used to have a ton of sex. After the remodel, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 52September 20, 2017 2:13 AM

Was that David Barton in the ad for TMPL or whatever it was?

by Anonymousreply 53September 20, 2017 2:17 AM

That's him, R53

by Anonymousreply 54September 20, 2017 2:21 AM

I have a friend who was looking for a BF. He chose equinox because he wanted to meet a man of the wealthier variety.

And he succeeded. He met a TV producer at Equinox. They're getting married next year.

by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2017 2:24 AM

You never hear about issues of homophobia at these expensive gyms., at least I don't. I feel safer going to a more expensive gym. I won't be called a f-ggot (as much) at a place like this.

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2017 3:33 AM

There are a few "gay" NYSCs. Most of the guys are gay and you can often find action in the steam rooms/saunas if that's your thing. I used to go to equinox, and there are hotter guys, but nysc has enough hot guys to make the steam room fun after a work out. I'd say there are more trolls at nysc though, and sometimes they ruin the vibe. The weights / machines at nysc are basically of equal quality to equinox as well. Nysc is definitely not as well maintained, but I don't think equinox is worth the extra $20,000/ year or so. I switched to nysc about 3 years ago and don't really miss equinox. The pool at the broadway nysc is very nice.

by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2017 5:03 AM

I am ending my Equinox membership because they keep raising the rates. Ripoff

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2017 5:26 AM

[quote]I am ending my Equinox membership because they keep raising the rates. Ripoff

YEP! It's insanity on steroids!

Would someone help me please? I just received a letter notifying me that membership will increase by $10. Therefore, my monthly membership is now $218/month. What is the value of this gym? I'm quite sincere in asking about this and am quite open to reading what others feel are the value propositions of this gym

by Anonymousreply 59February 20, 2018 4:39 PM

R59 do you have an all access membership?

by Anonymousreply 60February 20, 2018 4:43 PM

Yep, R60 but still...

And, the all access that I have doesn't give me all access. There are those "destination" locations of which I'm not eligible for... at $218/month...

by Anonymousreply 61February 20, 2018 4:46 PM

I just complained to Equinox (posting something on their FaceBook page) and this was the reply;

Hi XXXX,

If you'll email our member services team, at MS@equinox.com, we can assist with this query.

My posting;

Would someone help me please? I just received a letter notifying me that membership will increase by $10. Therefore, my monthly membership is now $218/month. What is the value of this gym? I'm quite sincere in asking about this and am quite open to reading what others feel are the value propositions of this gym

by Anonymousreply 62February 20, 2018 4:49 PM

I'll stay with NYSC because they have free towels and I can do what I want to do for $40/month.

by Anonymousreply 63February 20, 2018 5:02 PM

[quote]I'll stay with NYSC because they have free towels and I can do what I want to do for $40/month.

I'm heading over there tomorrow! I may not get $40/month but I will be thrilled with just paying $65/month!

If NYSC, Crunch, and anyone else are smart, they should start raiding the Equinox membership! $218/month? How insane is that? And, how crazy am I for paying it when it was $208???

by Anonymousreply 64February 20, 2018 5:05 PM

I love Crunch in NYC. I go to the W 38th st location. Very nice. Gay friendly but not super-gay.

by Anonymousreply 65February 20, 2018 7:25 PM

How are the WeHo and Century City locations?

by Anonymousreply 66February 20, 2018 7:49 PM

R17 Not hoi polloi, try hutz clutz!

by Anonymousreply 67February 20, 2018 7:54 PM

Equinox is def very nice if you can afford to spoil yourself. I have a membership and use it around 4 times a week. Lots of beautiful show offs walking around naked.

by Anonymousreply 68February 20, 2018 7:58 PM

Why doesn't anyone fuck around in the Chicago ones? There are 3 and I've never seen anything in my main one.

There are some HOT guys in there, but they seem to be utter douche bags beyond belief....and on heavy doses of steroids.

by Anonymousreply 69February 20, 2018 8:02 PM

[quote]They gym equipment is basically the same. Equinox is better maintained, has a much better locker (it's more like a spa), has better classes, better trainers and the clientele is richer and hotter. So if you just want to lift. anywhere is fine. If you want to get laid/meet a bf/hobnob with the hoi polloi, do Eq.

And, so you pay for access to such people? Oh, man-o-man. Look... I've been a member of Equinox for years and speaking only for me I have never seen such fraternization. Their trainers are trained but that doesn't mean that they can get results. I think a trainer's session rate is now $120/session.

All of it is ridiculous.

Look... I'll just accept it. I'm not Equinox acceptable. I'm just not going to spend over $2500/year for a gym. It's just foolishness.

by Anonymousreply 70February 20, 2018 9:13 PM

R61 yeah, I know. I was just wondering if my rate was going up too.

by Anonymousreply 71February 21, 2018 4:07 PM

R69 what do you look like because I have definitely seen and have had fun at two of the Chicago locations.

by Anonymousreply 72February 21, 2018 4:08 PM

Make of it as you will...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 22, 2018 12:37 AM

Do they really provide shorts and shirts for free?

by Anonymousreply 74February 22, 2018 5:02 PM

^Some of the locations provide Shirts, shorts, socks, and jock straps.

by Anonymousreply 75February 22, 2018 5:08 PM

R37, I did that too; belong to a gym for years, didn't go.

Changed to a cheaper gym I could WALK to, went on a portion control plan and hit the gym twice a day; lost 40 lbs.

Work was going great. The best time of my life.

Gotta get back to it.

by Anonymousreply 76February 22, 2018 7:15 PM

Op just join reebok sports club and be done with it.

I've belonged to reebok, NYSC and equinox.

Equinox was nice but I preferred having more locations to choose from. So nysc was perfect for that.

I got sick of tipping people in the locker rooms - which I did at equinox and reebok.

I'm no longer living in NYC and I now belong to a gym that is better than all 3. Much more luxurious, still at equinox prices - but it blows equinox out of the water

by Anonymousreply 77February 22, 2018 7:27 PM

C'mon, NYSC is a SHITHOLE. Every locker is broke. The carpet is filthy. The shower, if they work, are always disgusting. I once pulled back the shower curtain to reveal a discarded enema bottle.

Nice!

by Anonymousreply 78February 22, 2018 7:43 PM

Have you checked out 24 Hour Fitness?

by Anonymousreply 79February 22, 2018 9:37 PM

what R78 said. Never going back. Used towel mountains or towel shortages or towel rationing. Broken lockers, missing soap,etc, etc

by Anonymousreply 80February 22, 2018 10:51 PM

NYSC has had several MRSA outbreaks at their locations over the years.

by Anonymousreply 81February 23, 2018 2:08 PM

Interesting...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 24, 2018 3:45 PM

If I'm a member, how much do I pay to have a guest come with me?

by Anonymousreply 83March 2, 2018 6:17 AM

How much more is adding a locker in the executive locker room?

by Anonymousreply 84March 2, 2018 6:31 AM

Could you please tell us more about how the sexiness factor? What kinds of scenes are there to enjoy? Can you please tell us of some of your experiences?

I want my loins to ache...

by Anonymousreply 85March 5, 2018 6:09 PM

Do they have Japanese soaking tubs?

by Anonymousreply 86March 5, 2018 6:13 PM

Equinox is where the guys who won't give you the time of day in NYC will happily gobble on your cock under the guise of a steam room.

Every location has an active stream room. I've even seen the trainers indulge.

I know two guys who found their rich husbands in the locker room, of course, they tell everyone they met in a spin class or on the gym floor.

Great place to meet guys if youre not into apps or bars.

by Anonymousreply 87March 5, 2018 6:24 PM

Extremely shady. I canceled my membership and they kept charging my credit card despite several protests I lodged and promises they would rectify this. Someone else I know went with his wife to see the club. He joined; she didn't. They kept charging him for two memberships. Not cool at all.

by Anonymousreply 88March 5, 2018 6:29 PM

R87, are the two guys who met their husbands at Equinox much younger than their husbands?

by Anonymousreply 89March 5, 2018 6:32 PM

[R89] no, give or take 5 years. None of them are even over 40

by Anonymousreply 90March 5, 2018 6:52 PM

Thanks, R90. Would love to hear more hot stories. KJ Apa works out there.

by Anonymousreply 91March 6, 2018 2:39 PM

Yes if you really use it- I go every day except those when I play tennis or do some other activity. High quality gym- convenient, clean, well set up and well run. It’s about $200 per month- all gym pass.

by Anonymousreply 92March 6, 2018 3:11 PM

R92, do they have the option of a separate executive locker room? No the "E" membership that's 20,000 a year - just another $100 or so a month for use of the executive locker room? They have that at the Sports Club LA branches, which Equinox took over... Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 93March 6, 2018 3:19 PM

R93 they used to offer use of the Executive Locker Room by charging a couple of hundred bucks extra... but there was really no point. Why would you want it/ need it?

by Anonymousreply 94March 6, 2018 3:39 PM

R94, to meet my future husband.

by Anonymousreply 95March 6, 2018 3:42 PM

You're not going to meet your future husband in the Exec Locker. The Steam Room is in the general Locker.

by Anonymousreply 96March 6, 2018 3:47 PM

R94, R95 isn't me.- R93

So they don't offer it anymore? I want it because I'd like to be able to leave my things there day after day...

by Anonymousreply 97March 6, 2018 3:48 PM

R97 I don't know if they still offer it or not. I just don't think it's worth it. They used to charge like $700 / year for Laundry Service which gave you a locker in the normal area and daily laundry.

by Anonymousreply 98March 6, 2018 3:53 PM

At Century City, it's just $45/month more for executive membership.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 6, 2018 4:10 PM

R97 which location are you looking at? I can tell you if it's worth the Executive or not.

by Anonymousreply 100March 6, 2018 4:15 PM

R100, West Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 101March 6, 2018 4:20 PM

R101 The West Hollywood location is a nice location. The layout and parking is much better than the nearby branches (parking at the majority of LA Equinoxes is terrible). The staff though at WH can be pretty awful.

Anyway as far as an Exec Membership at this location... just to leave your stuff there? Not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 102March 6, 2018 4:35 PM

R102, what's wrong with the staff at the WeHo location? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 103March 6, 2018 4:42 PM

R103 they often seem to go out of their way to be unhelpful. Many of them are just rude. Especially compared to staff at other locations.

What do you look like? Are you worth meeting up with in the steam?

by Anonymousreply 104March 6, 2018 4:54 PM

R104, I'm nice looking I think. I do alright in steam rooms.

by Anonymousreply 105March 6, 2018 4:58 PM

Good to know, R105. What gym do you currently go to?

by Anonymousreply 106March 6, 2018 5:00 PM

R92, Do you work for the gym? It's okay if you do. I'm asking because I'm starting to sense that Equinox is doing some sort of push back campaign against the growing number of complaints that the gym has been getting because it has become too expensive.

My membership just went up to $218/month. I'm told that I should be grateful because new members are being charged $240/month....

SO! I would LOVE to see the gym explain and justify this price as much as they can!!!

by Anonymousreply 107March 6, 2018 5:38 PM

{quote]SO! I would LOVE to see the gym explain and justify this price as much as they can!!!

The excuse is that they're always building new gyms and so they have to increase prices to the members so they can enjoy the privilege...

Yeah, no. That makes absolutely no sense. They should offer additional benefits then (and not just adding face cleanser in to the mix).

They used to raise prices subtly... $2/year here.. $4/there... the latest they just decided to go all in and say $10.

by Anonymousreply 108March 6, 2018 5:44 PM

Keep in mind that Equinox and Lifetime are owned by an investment firm. Its main duty is to maximize shareholder return. As much as they talk about excellent service and promoting healthy living, they're companies just like GM, Pfizer, and Morgan Stanley. Increasing membership rates fund club expansions, which in turn fund profits.

by Anonymousreply 109March 7, 2018 3:49 AM

I used to go to the one on 92nd and Broadway. Tons of steam room sex. Tons!

by Anonymousreply 110March 7, 2018 3:57 AM

How is the one in back bay Boston?

by Anonymousreply 111March 7, 2018 4:39 AM

I would imagine the higher the membership due the less homophobia?

by Anonymousreply 112March 7, 2018 4:39 AM

The staff are generally weird - kind of cold and performative. You can try to be normal and vulnerable with them, and they'll just stare coldly at you.

by Anonymousreply 113March 7, 2018 6:39 AM

[quote]How is the one in back bay Boston?

It's okay. It needs to be renovated. The layout is good. Steam is incredibly small.

by Anonymousreply 114March 7, 2018 3:04 PM

[quote]The staff are generally weird - kind of cold and performative. You can try to be normal and vulnerable with them, and they'll just stare coldly at you.

Vulnerable with them? Wha??

by Anonymousreply 115March 7, 2018 3:09 PM

Oh, also, the staff at Back Bay are straight up cunts.

by Anonymousreply 116March 7, 2018 3:14 PM

R115, like if they're not explaining something clearly, and you say something like "Sorry, I'm being incredibly dense, do you mean that..." - i.e., being polite by faulting oneself for their deficiency.

by Anonymousreply 117March 7, 2018 3:14 PM

[quote]Yeah, no. That makes absolutely no sense. They should offer additional benefits then (and not just adding face cleanser in to the mix).

And, this is my issue with them. The costs are increasing but value for members isn't. Gee... you only get 2-3 guest passes/year; WOW! One Pilates class--which is a sales opportunity; Thank you, God! One Personal Training session--which is a sales opportunity; Keihls bodywash, shampoo, conditioner--Really?

That's worth $240/month? Yep! the gyms are clean...but is that worth $240/month? I think existing members should put pressure on management to give us "something". SHIT! A free hat and/or T-Shirt yearly! How much could that cost?

by Anonymousreply 118March 7, 2018 3:48 PM

Maybe once their hotels open, members will get a discount.

by Anonymousreply 119March 7, 2018 3:49 PM

I would rather just buy weights and machines for my own home for $3000. Why would I put up with that place? I guess in NYC, you wouldn't have the space... but otherwise, there is no point, unless you like to "socialize"

by Anonymousreply 120March 7, 2018 3:50 PM

The music is too loud...

by Anonymousreply 121March 7, 2018 3:51 PM

It's the Whole Foods of gyms.

by Anonymousreply 122March 7, 2018 3:55 PM

R122, Whole Foods isn't as unfriendly. Equinox keeps emphasizing "exclusivity" without any embarrassment. It's very uncomfortable. It's a temple to selfishness, I think. Whole Foods... kind of isn't.

by Anonymousreply 123March 7, 2018 3:57 PM

Really? They sure harass you for weeks by email and phone after you visit, r123. Everyone I know who has gone in to meet with a "membership consultant" can barely leave. And when they do leave, they never stop calling.

by Anonymousreply 124March 7, 2018 4:04 PM

R124, when was that? I think they've changed quite a bit. I went to a "destination" one, and the attitude, which makes business sense for the clientele they're looking for, was "take it or leave it" - like going to Cartier or something. No follow-up; it's a club you WANT to join, I guess in their view.

by Anonymousreply 125March 7, 2018 4:07 PM

[quote]Everyone I know who has gone in to meet with a "membership consultant" can barely leave. And when they do leave, they never stop calling.

You're (we're) just some bean counter's number. The CEO says that Equinox is selling a "lifestyle". Exactly what is that? It's not like the gym uses the state of the art equipment. Nothing is gold plated. There aren't fresh flowers all over the place, etc And. these "destination" locations is the biggest scam going. I pay $240/ month but I can't use the bathroom at the old Reebok location because I don't pay the destination prices? C'mon...

by Anonymousreply 126March 7, 2018 4:12 PM

R125, not R124 but I can tell you that they absolutely still hound potential members. I've been a member for years. I went to two different locations before signing up. To this day, I still receive emails from one of the locations I went to asking me if I'm ready to join.

by Anonymousreply 127March 7, 2018 4:13 PM

Yep... R125 here again. My visit there was a couple of years ago & then I know of 2 other people who went in there. What was also interesting is that we compared our "proposals" and we both got insanely hard sells on membership PLUS thousands in training. They didn't even blink when they said my first payment would be something like $2500. And all I went in there for was a quick tour because I was just curious... which I stated quite a few times.

What seems to happen (and in the case of r127) is that the membership people turnover every few months because I suppose they never make their numbers, and then you get called again from the new membership people.

by Anonymousreply 128March 7, 2018 5:07 PM

Being a membership person at Equinox is very stressful. Making numbers is the be all and end all of any success there. "Successful" membership coordinators - meaning, those who last more than a year - oversell the services and amenities and are relentless about closing. At month-end, white boards in the General Manager's office list # of closures, pending, etc., very visibly to put pressure on the individuals, and on the last day or two of a month, the whole Membership team works non-stop for any sign-up they can get. It's the opposite of the stress-free, healthy lifestyle they try to sell.

by Anonymousreply 129March 8, 2018 2:59 AM

Based on how relentless they were with me (who just wanted a freaking tour) - I can completely see that, r129.

Also, I asked them if I could have a day pass to try the gym out - which isn't that unusual - and they just kept coming back with "try the first month! If you don't like it you can cancel (which I am sure will be another nightmare headache)" They wouldn't give a day pass, period - even if I said I'd pay for it. Nope.

by Anonymousreply 130March 8, 2018 7:41 PM

[quote] (which I am sure will be another nightmare headache)" They wouldn't give a day pass, period - even if I said I'd pay for it.

I heard that they charge $68 (how did they come to that figure I don't know) for a day pass. Clearly something that they want to discourage.

by Anonymousreply 131March 8, 2018 7:44 PM

[quote]Clearly something that they want to discourage.

Yes... you're right on that. Click the link below....lol...look at the URL first.... and then click.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132March 8, 2018 7:54 PM

R130 when was that? Before I joined it was extremely easy to get a trial pass from them. It would usually be for 3 days but some were desperate and would give me a week. The max I ever got as a trial was 2 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 133March 8, 2018 9:22 PM

[quote]The max I ever got as a trial was 2 weeks.

At Equinox????

by Anonymousreply 134March 8, 2018 9:26 PM

Job TitletEquinox Fitness Salary

Front Desk - Hourly t $9.87/hr

Assistant General Manager t$62,193

Personal Trainert $50,534

General Managert $75,667

by Anonymousreply 135March 8, 2018 9:30 PM

R132, I don't get it...

by Anonymousreply 136March 8, 2018 9:46 PM

Looking forward to their hotels.

by Anonymousreply 137March 8, 2018 9:46 PM

r136, I did a google search for day pass or trial pass, and that's what came up. The URL says "trial-pass" and then there's nothing about any trial pass on that page. There's nothing on that page but a placeholder graphic. Why even have that web page? Can you print it out and show it at the door to get in ? It's just funny that someone made this web page but obviously they don't want to have anything to do with letting people have trial periods so the page is basically empty.

by Anonymousreply 138March 8, 2018 10:04 PM

Why are you looking forward to their hotels?

It's odd how many times Equinox hotels have come up on here. Will they know something that the Four Seasons, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, etc... do not? Somehow I doubt it. They're probably just diversifying their investments because they had some strategy consultant tell them their gym business is not growing anymore.

by Anonymousreply 139March 8, 2018 10:06 PM

Yeah, R134 at Equinox.

by Anonymousreply 140March 8, 2018 10:12 PM

Whatever happened to their line of "affordable" gyms that they were going to open/offer? Did that ever happen?

by Anonymousreply 141March 8, 2018 10:13 PM

Trial passes must vary by location & how many members they have, if they hit their numbers yet, how cunty the management is, etc...

by Anonymousreply 142March 8, 2018 10:15 PM

VOILA, R141!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143March 8, 2018 10:23 PM

Ah, Blink Fitness. They barely have any locations. However, those should be made available to all Equinox members as our fees are the ones that built those rat holes.

by Anonymousreply 144March 8, 2018 10:31 PM

I just read Equinox does 1 billion a year in revenue. Holy shit. I had no idea they were making that much. I hope people are seeing results for all that money.

by Anonymousreply 145March 8, 2018 10:38 PM

Lifetime Fitness is the Chrysler of gyms where Equinox is the Mercedes Benz.

by Anonymousreply 146March 8, 2018 10:57 PM

Blink is the 365 by Whole Foods discount store of gyms.

by Anonymousreply 147March 8, 2018 11:57 PM

[quote]Ah, Blink Fitness. They barely have any locations. However, those should be made available to all Equinox members as our fees are the ones that built those rat holes.

I went to their website and it says that they have 60+ locations and building more. But, Equinox members having access to Blink? Neither the twain shall meet. I was a member at Blink at one point. At the time, if you were an independent Personal Trainer, Blink was a God send. As a member (I think it was $20/month) I had unlimited guest passes. So, would always be my guest? My personal trainer! Personal trainers were having all of their clients signing up for Blink and training them on guest passes.

I could get over no towel service and that you had to bring your own towel. The gym was very clean too--at least the one where I was a member. But, it was the SMALL locker room that got me! That would not be a problem either if you figured out the time to come. Actually, it was good value overall. But, an Equinox member could never use a Blink gym and God forbid if a Blink member wanted to visit an Equinox and work out.

by Anonymousreply 148March 9, 2018 12:11 AM

So does anybody actually know what the 'destination locations' are? I can't find a list or anything online

by Anonymousreply 149March 9, 2018 12:17 AM

[quote]So does anybody actually know what the 'destination locations' are?

The "destination" locations (the biggest scam Equinox has running) are basically private upscale gyms that they have taken over by Equinox. The two that I'm aware of in NYC are the "Printer's House" and what was once "Reebok". They'll usually have an amenity that you cannot find at another Equinox ie a pool, a sundeck, etc. That's pretty much the only difference except that you cannot have access to them unless you're paying the higher membership cost.

I was in Washington DC and an Equinox was right across the street from my hotel. I could not use that location (I eventually did because I got the permission from the manager) because it was a "destination" location. I WAS PISSED TO PISSTIVITY! More so, since the gym in my hotel (although small) was better equipped and they gave you free water, towels galore, apples, and ear phones! The "destination" gym had a basketball court (whoopie) but it was old (furniture, structure, etc). It sure was clean though (eye roll)

by Anonymousreply 150March 9, 2018 12:30 AM

This comment I found summed up Equinox:

"Too Expensive - You are paying a premium price for basic gym amenities. Nothing too special as far as gym equipment."

by Anonymousreply 151March 9, 2018 12:45 AM

Yeah, but R150... there's SO much sex in the DC Equinox.

by Anonymousreply 152March 9, 2018 1:13 AM

What's the scene like at the West LA location that was formerly The Sports Club/LA?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153March 9, 2018 1:39 AM

So how would you know which locations are destination locations if some are still branded as just 'equinox' ?

by Anonymousreply 154March 9, 2018 2:09 AM

R154 there is a list of Destination Clubs on Equinoxes site.

R153 what scene are you curious about?

by Anonymousreply 155March 9, 2018 2:11 AM

[quote]So how would you know which locations are destination locations if some are still branded as just 'equinox' ?

I believe that the chain can declare at anytime what location would be "destination" or not. Especially since they are on a program of never ending upgrades. The only thing about the Washington DC location that made it "destination", (besides the pool, basketball and squash courts), is that it was located right next to and "fed into" a Ritz Carlton. Basically, all of the old LA Sports Clubs are "destination" locations. By the way, the cost of monthly membership to access those clubs too is $300/month. Below is The Printing House. And, there are LOTS of complaints!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156March 9, 2018 2:20 AM

Lifetime Fitness in flyover is garbage now.

by Anonymousreply 157March 9, 2018 2:37 AM

What's special about the Century City destination gym other than being new?

by Anonymousreply 158March 9, 2018 3:07 AM

Having a pool doesn't make an Equinox a destination location. Palo Alto CA has a pool, and it's definitely not a higher end Equinox. It's nice, but it's their smaller club model.

by Anonymousreply 159March 9, 2018 3:29 AM

There's way more sex/playing at Equinox than at Lifetime. Lifetime has amenities like hot tubs, steam rooms, etc., but it's too family-oriented and its locations are typically in more conservative areas for much "fun" in the locker rooms. Kids run through the locker rooms, Dads talking their sons through how to use the showers, etc. You'd have to be very careful about trying something at a Lifetime. Equinox has way more open-minded members.

by Anonymousreply 160March 9, 2018 3:35 AM

R159 several NY locations have pools as well and are not destination clubs. So do many in SO Cal.

And while Palo Alto might be a smaller club... the steam room is full of action!

by Anonymousreply 161March 9, 2018 3:53 AM

Lifetime Fitness in Michigan (any location) is gross and homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 162March 9, 2018 4:02 AM

Hmmm. Maybe I'll see you in the steam room then, R161.

by Anonymousreply 163March 9, 2018 4:18 AM

You couldn’t handle my gunt R163.

by Anonymousreply 164March 9, 2018 4:19 AM

Ha, R163. Is that your location? It's always a good time..

by Anonymousreply 165March 9, 2018 4:27 AM

What are the demographics of equinox? Wealthy white people? Well?

by Anonymousreply 166March 9, 2018 4:33 AM

R166, in LA it’s white and East Asian people. Don't know if they're actually all wealthy or just stretching their budgets.

by Anonymousreply 167March 9, 2018 4:36 AM

Yep. I'm in the Palo Alto club, R165.

by Anonymousreply 168March 9, 2018 4:38 AM

Good to know R167, thanks. It’s important to know.

by Anonymousreply 169March 9, 2018 4:40 AM

Curious why it's important, R169. Not being sarcastic or judgmental - just thinking there's an angle I'm missing.

by Anonymousreply 170March 9, 2018 4:42 AM

This is me R170:

[quote]Lifetime Fitness in Michigan (any location) is gross and homophobic.

My gym is the complete opposite of your gym, in every way. It used to be like you (of course not Equinox-luxury), but clean and “luxury” for flyovers. Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 171March 9, 2018 4:48 AM

R171, are you R169? I'm not understanding the connection with the ethnicity of the members. Sorry I'm being dense. Can you spell it out?

by Anonymousreply 172March 9, 2018 4:52 AM

Is there any comparable chain? What about overseas - are there similar chains? Maybe they'll come to the US and provide some competition.

by Anonymousreply 173March 9, 2018 4:58 AM

KX in London is more luxurious

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 9, 2018 5:03 AM

R153 I only started going here after it became an Equinox back in 2011 (give or take a year). I no longer go to this location, but I can remember the design being quite 'dated', however the massive structure still attracts a lot of new members. I know the pool was being worked on so this ticked off a lot of people who primarily came here to use the (indoor) pool. Being Executive/Destination members, I'm sure they were welcome to use other locations that had a pool, with Westwood being the closest.

As for the scene, you get the b-boys who come use the basketball courts in the evening since school lets out (yes, I said school, some of these members are 18). Otherwise, the age definitely leans older, and I'm just being 100% honest when I say it's heavily Persian. I swear EQX Glendale isn't as Armenian as EQX WLA is Persian. I suppose I point this out to say they are much more 'conservative' in some ways than others. In other words, it certainly isn't West Hollywood.

Not that anyone here cares, but Mel Gibson shows his face, Justin Bieber, Shaq & Ron Artest among other NBC players take advantage of the court. I guess the sugar babies go to BH and the young twinks go to Weho.

by Anonymousreply 175March 9, 2018 5:56 AM

Thanks, r175!

by Anonymousreply 176March 9, 2018 6:10 AM

[quote]I point this out to say they are much more 'conservative'

As in, anti-gay?

by Anonymousreply 177March 9, 2018 6:16 AM

I had a membership in WeHo, and even though I enjoyed it and loved their classes, I eventually cancelled my membership. I just couldn’t justify paying so much money for working out on the same equipment that I used at LA Fitness, for a fraction of the cost.

The bottom line was money. The money I save can be used on a vacation, and I still work out regularly. Being a woman, I don’t cruise the gym for hot hook ups, and even if straight women engaged in that sort of thing, you’re not going to get any action in WeHo.

For me, LA Fitness allows me to get the job done as much as Equinox. I have a Pilates reformer at home, and if I want an extra challenging Yoga session, I know where to find one in a number of locations throughout LA.

by Anonymousreply 178March 9, 2018 10:45 AM

According to what I have gleaned here, if you go to Equinox in NYC, you may see Anderson Cooper flash his moonwhite ass in the locker room, and you may see Andy Cohen lift his towel in the steam room to flash his flaccid penis as he glares at you like a rabid fox with a crooked eyeball.

Here in DC, the gym assigned to all homosexuals who want to feel of a certain status is VIDA. It comes with an in-gym hair salon, a rooftop swimming pool with cabanas and a bar, and an active reservoir of horny viral activity. I have avoided it as long as I have lived here, but pass the perky-bootied branded-tee-shirt-wearing muscle homos prance down the street on the daily. VIDA is the place to see, to be seen, to get drunk and to meet desirable upstanding gentlemen such as Billy Santoro. Yay.

by Anonymousreply 179March 9, 2018 11:20 AM

R179, I'm familiar with Vida and the guy who owns it. It's nice, but it's like having a popular local gym chain Cleveland: just kind of cringeworthy. Just join Equinox; they're in DC.

by Anonymousreply 180March 9, 2018 12:35 PM

R180 I’m not “extra” enough for Equinox. I make good money, but I grew up lower middle/working class and I just don’t see the value in throwing hundreds of dollars a month at a gym whose equipment is the same as Washington Sports Club or other gyms. I go there, work out, and come home to shower. I don’t like being naked in front of strangers, I don’t want fungal infections on my feet and nothing about jerking off in a steamroom appeals to me. So paying premiums to be in an elite health club just does not make sense to me. But if it’s worth it to others, have at it.

I only exercise to exercise; if I wanted to cruise for sex I’d go to a bar or a sex app.

by Anonymousreply 181March 9, 2018 12:42 PM

I agree with you R181. There's quite a few postings on this thread referring to the availability of having sexual encounters. Really? I guess that comes down to whatever gets you off. But, the farthest thing from my mind when I'm at the gym is trying to score sex at the gym.

For me, it's more about what environment will motivate me the most. I would say that the David Barton gyms was that inspiration. Say what you want, but there was nothing less than beautiful, muscular, steroid filled, fashionable, instagrammable, fun-fun, people! It was all great eye candy and I worked harder because I wanted to be just like them!

I have yet to feel anything like that at any Equinox. Don't get me wrong, there are very nice and good looking people there but no one really stands out. Not even among many of the personal trainers. I LOVE the porn star look rather than that nice very fit body, "anybody can have that body" type look. LOL!

And, so I suppose Equinox is like any other gym (except much more expensive) in that you will get out of it what you put into it, and it is up to the person to make the most of a membership. Isn't a barely used $90/month Bally's (are they still around) gym membership just as wasteful as a monthly Equinox gym membership?

by Anonymousreply 182March 9, 2018 1:22 PM

[quote]. I LOVE the porn star look rather than that nice very fit body, "

Then why don't you appreciate your membership more considering that there are an overwhelming number of actual porn stars that work out at Equinox?

by Anonymousreply 183March 9, 2018 1:31 PM

[quote]Then why don't you appreciate your membership more considering that there are an overwhelming number of actual porn stars that work out at Equinox?

Really? I've never seen them. The only famous people that were/are porn stars that I have ever seen were at David Barton, Crunch, and NYSC. The only famous person that I have seen at Equinox was Anderson Cooper but I had met him some time ago at.... David Barton's. The famous people that i have seen in the gym that I have known;

-Anderson Cooper: David Barton Equinox -Chris Meloni: Crunch -Joe Mangiello: David Barton -Hugh Jackman: David Barton -Austin Wolf: David Barton -Coach: David Barton -Michael Lucas Ugh): David Barton -Jake wetmore: David Barton -Jennifer Aniston's current husband; Hanson's Gym

There have been at least 10 others whose names I can remember at this point. Most I have seen at David Barton. As far as Equinox? No one really and I'm a regular at the the Park Ave and Times Warner locations.

by Anonymousreply 184March 9, 2018 1:49 PM

[quote]-Jennifer Aniston's current husband; Hanson's Gym

And, what was funny is that this guy was visibly upset because I didn't know who he was--even when the trainer introduced us (something that I later learned that he hated) and I still didn't know who he was...

by Anonymousreply 185March 9, 2018 2:03 PM

How’s TMPL gym R184? Looks amazing.

by Anonymousreply 186March 9, 2018 2:07 PM

I'm surprised that CLAY gym still exists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187March 9, 2018 2:13 PM

Oh David Barton gyms still exist - one in Las Vegas, one in LA.

by Anonymousreply 188March 9, 2018 2:19 PM

I'd say meh... The problem with TMPL is that there is only one location and getting to it. I've worked out there 3 or 4 times. But, I'm on the east side and that dealing with getting to the west side and then a bit uptown... Sometimes you want to deal with it and other times you don't.

First, their equipment is STAT OF THE ART!!! Equinox really needs to take a look at that gym to learn what is cutting edge, (I believe the membership is $120/month at TMPL) Yep! There are (or were--I'll explain later) the beautiful, muscular, steroid filled, fashionable, instagrammable, fun-fun, people! The trainers look like the whores that they are and what I want to be. Massive muscles, ripped clothing, etc. I LOVE IT!!! But, there seems to be a high turnover. I guess David is really cracking down on the business end and if you're not making your quota then out you go. To me, it just doesn't seem as if the location is catching on. I don't hear a lot of people talk about it.

Second, I'm not getting the same vibe that I had at the other Barton (different company I know) gyms that I have had previously.

But, IT IS A VERY NICE GYM!

by Anonymousreply 189March 9, 2018 2:30 PM

[quote]I'm surprised that CLAY gym still exists.

Me too! Now, THAT'S luxury!!! I'm sure that if it runs into trouble, or they look to sell, that Equinox will be right there to swoop that one up! I tell ya... that gym has had a nice long run!!! And, only one location that I'm aware of.

by Anonymousreply 190March 9, 2018 2:33 PM

R190, I think there's a second location now - Greenwich.

by Anonymousreply 191March 9, 2018 2:34 PM

R191, Clay ironically is just over the NY boarder, so technically it’s not in Greenwich. How’s that for marketing?

by Anonymousreply 192March 9, 2018 2:54 PM

The average looking trainer, (right) at TMPL... The average. It only goes up from this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193March 9, 2018 3:23 PM

[quote] swear EQX Glendale isn't as Armenian as EQX WLA is Persian.

HAHAHA. That is so true. Surprisingly, there aren't as many Armenian members at the Glendale location as you would think there would be.

by Anonymousreply 194March 9, 2018 3:25 PM

R183 is right. There are a ton of porn stars that work out at Equinox. It's like they get a discount there or something. I also see a lot of celebrities there. It must depend on the location and time. I'm surprised anyone has seen Cooper's ass as someone claimed above. Whenever I would see him at the gym he either wouldn't change or he was very careful in his towel dance.

by Anonymousreply 195March 9, 2018 3:38 PM

-Equinox is planet fitness for rich people. If you even lift, not only will you save money elsewhere- you'll also be happier.

-I think it's a rip-off unless you have cash to just throw around. There are cheaper gyms that may not be as nice but have all the basic equipment you will need. Equinox can charge that much due to its luxury brand and the lifestyle image associated with it.

-I recently began using Equinox, and I think it's great. The clubs are definitely 'upscale' and that probably contributes to most of the price premium. It's great if you take different classes, because the options are abundant. However, other than being clean and well kept, the weight lifting equipment is pretty standard and the same as you would find at most gyms.

-If you are working banking hours you are better off using the building gym or finding a more reasonably priced 24 hour gym. Also depends on what type of training you do (i.e. does your building gym have a rack and bench).

by Anonymousreply 196March 9, 2018 4:08 PM

[quote]-I think it's a rip-off unless you have cash to just throw around. There are cheaper gyms that may not be as nice but have all the basic equipment you will need. Equinox can charge that much due to its luxury brand and the lifestyle image associated with it.

I don’t follow this rule as an openly gay person. Luxury will for safety and a peace of mind that cheap minds do not. Now, if I were heterosexual or I “butched it up” as the homophobes here would tell me to do, and which I can’t even do, I might be able to work out at cheap gyms. But, based on posts here, gays that are obviously gay that work out in cheaper gyms, get harrassed.

by Anonymousreply 197March 9, 2018 4:19 PM

*will allow for safety

by Anonymousreply 198March 9, 2018 4:19 PM

To me, Equinox is worth the price because 1) the locations are convenient 2) they're clean 3) the classes are great 4) it's hardly ever crowded 5) I don't have to pack gym clothes 6) it's clean.

by Anonymousreply 199March 9, 2018 4:21 PM

LOL! You have to take YELP reviews with a grain of salt. You never know what the agenda is. Here's one of the latest reviews about the CLAY gym:

3/3/2018

A dying decaying gym that is struggling to survive. In the past year they have switched general managers twice. None of them capable of fixing this falling apart gym. The current manager is an unprofessional tyrant that thinks he has it all figured out. Most of the staff think he is absolutely terrible. Apparently the gym is struggling to pay its bills.

The entire gym has a negative and sad energy with most members in their 60s. A bitter attitude drives this place. At each personal training sessions (big mistake) I saw less and less members.

Don't believe what you see on their website. The pictures are all misleading and taken to enhance the appearance of a decaying gym. When I read how amazing this gym is in other reviews, I just think it is silly. Nothing amazing here.

There are many better options out there. Stay away from this one.

BUT, (and the above can be true on some level), I have a friend (and one of my former PT's at David Barton--Limelight), that works there. He wouldn't stay there unless he didn't like it and the money wasn't good. BTW, Clays PT packages;

10 pack--$1045

25 pack--$2500

by Anonymousreply 200March 9, 2018 5:58 PM

Signed up today. They give you a t-shirt. Keeping an eye out for KJ Apa.

by Anonymousreply 201March 10, 2018 7:00 AM

I find it fascinating that they're starting their own hotel chain. So cool.

by Anonymousreply 202March 10, 2018 7:01 AM

Each floor will have its own steam room.

by Anonymousreply 203March 10, 2018 1:05 PM

There is some shenanigans going on here.

Poster r137 is also r202, spamming (again) about equinox hotels (which happened on here before). This poster conveniently ignored the scrutiny at r139.

This person also seems to be doing a little research, having started the following two threads at the same time

"What's your favorite luxury brand?"

"The nicest hotel you've stayed at?"

So, what's going on, gurl? First year in the marketing department? Nobody other than you is "excited" and "fascinated" about some overpriced gym going into a very crowded hotel market that doesn't need them. Sorry. Maybe it's best you just do 1-way communications like ads, rather than trying to engage in social media marketing that is just way too obvious.

by Anonymousreply 204March 10, 2018 1:26 PM

Or actually pay the damn money to do focus groups and surveys...along with reports from hospitality consulting firms who will answer all these questions in a far more representative manner, without having to surreptitiously spam DL with your Equinox hotel "enthusiasm". Yeah, we get it - the gays travel a lot & you want to snatch some of those dollars. That's fine. If we have to pay for your hotel, you need to pay for your market research. Or, pay Mediapolis for your damn ads.

by Anonymousreply 205March 10, 2018 1:30 PM

Yeah, it's obvious the Hotel poster is a schill. I don't know why they thought anyone would think otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 206March 10, 2018 3:37 PM

Anyone seen any famous people there?

by Anonymousreply 207March 10, 2018 3:54 PM

The hotel shill accusers may be the same people who think any interesting personal dilemma thread is fake. Boring lives, no money, so everyone else must be the same - for their own sense that things are OK in their lives.

by Anonymousreply 208March 10, 2018 3:56 PM

If you're a hot girl looking for a rich husband/boyfriend, Equinox is the place to go.

by Anonymousreply 209March 10, 2018 3:56 PM

R208 the two examples are completely different. You're a fucking retard.

by Anonymousreply 210March 10, 2018 4:09 PM

Oh R208 = R137 and R202.

Honey just admit it.

Have you not been on DL long enough to know how we know all of the same posts come from you?

by Anonymousreply 211March 10, 2018 4:10 PM

Do Datalounge threads end up on google alerts?

by Anonymousreply 212March 10, 2018 4:15 PM

Well R208 you're either a schill or just completely retarded... take your pick.

by Anonymousreply 213March 10, 2018 4:40 PM

I think anything ends up on google alerts after google finds it and indexes it. This may have changed. I haven't set a google alert in years.

Message were typically indexed very often because of new original content. So, you could find this thread very soon after it was posted since DL will be crawled / indexed by google a lot. Or you can just search various sites individually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214March 10, 2018 4:41 PM

Message boards* were typically..

by Anonymousreply 215March 10, 2018 4:41 PM

Does anyone have experience with Third Space in London?

by Anonymousreply 216March 12, 2018 6:01 AM

There are 40-year-old gays in NYC who live with roommates because they can't afford their own apartments yet pay $200 a month for Equinox.

I've never been able to figure that one out.

by Anonymousreply 217March 12, 2018 6:03 AM

R177 Yep.

Worked spa there for a couple of months and I understand-as most would-that massage is a personal preference when it comes to the sex of the therapist. However, when the male clients would follow up with something among the lines like, 'I do NOT want a male touching me' with a grimace instead of the, 'I prefer a female therapist', there was no doubt about the way they felt.

Of course not EVERY guy was like this, but the disgust was not hidden for those that were adamant about it. Luckily all the spas had a large staff with the majority being female (with the exception of West Hollywood, where they would have to sometimes call other spas to bring in a female).

by Anonymousreply 218March 12, 2018 6:09 AM

R218, I go to Lifetime Fitness and there were two younger guys talking about the massages they get at the spa and they said how the female and even male masseuses get them hard. Just an interesting conversation they were having.

by Anonymousreply 219March 12, 2018 6:31 AM

hottest men don't go there

NO

by Anonymousreply 220March 12, 2018 6:47 AM

Good point, R217

by Anonymousreply 221March 12, 2018 10:06 AM

Yeah, the similar phenomenon with people who have no savings and very limited spending money who manage to spend $200 every weekend on bars, alcohol, and whatever drug... plus the clothes to make them fit in & post it on instagram.

by Anonymousreply 222March 12, 2018 10:48 AM

R217, R222

Those people are known as '$40,000 millionaires'

They lose their job/career, yet they cling like hell to that gym membership!!

Pathetic and sad? Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 223March 17, 2018 6:47 AM

What R1 said, it's just a gym. I've exercised all my life and when I join gyms I join the cheapest ones I can find, go and exercise at the times it's not crowded, and then leave.

by Anonymousreply 224March 17, 2018 6:56 AM

"I had a ravenous sexuality by the time I was 12, and I wasn't out of the closet at school or amongst my peers," he continued. "I couldn't find anyone to hook up with at school like everyone else did. The gym is a public space where lots of gays hang out, and then you have the semi-privacy of the locker room, where you can actually hook up. Steam rooms and saunas. And some gyms have much better facilities... opaque shower curtains that are flush to the floor." Paul now regularly works out at a gym near the gay district of town, which he say is a "total meat market."

At the ripe age of 14, Ricky Paul* used to get his father to drop him off at his local gym in his eastern Canadian town. He would get high and hang out in the sauna and showers, cruising for older men. "[Gay men] are better at non-verbal cruising because we've had to create this kind of subterfuge," Paul explained. "Our sexuality is stigmatized and was criminalized for such a long time." --- That's creepy and disturbing that grown adult men would have sex with kids/teens who are gay, bisexual but not out, unsure and curious, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225March 17, 2018 7:00 AM

OP if you are still reading this thread which gym did you join? Were you just curious about the sex that goes on between men in the locker/sauna at Equinox?

by Anonymousreply 226March 17, 2018 7:16 AM

I wish members were nicer. I'm new and it's surprising how seemingly closed-off or even unfriendly members are there. Especially the straight guys though that might some sense.

by Anonymousreply 227March 20, 2018 1:49 AM

R227 depends on the location. Which are you going to?

by Anonymousreply 228March 20, 2018 1:51 AM

Century City, R228.

by Anonymousreply 229March 20, 2018 1:53 AM

R229 I understand what you're saying. It will be a year in April that they re-opened into that new mall, and a lot of members who were placed elsewhere during the overhaul stayed at those other locations. For the ones who did return, they miss the old setting and staff. I worked the old CC location and have moved on myself, but there's more of an air of 'I'm too good to talk/look at you' here moreso than there was at the previous CC gym when I do come to visit.

Of course some members will have this attitude at ALL locations, not just there, but it's a different kind of 'asshole', as one once said. There definitely are some great people there if you can find them, then there are the others that come to work out, and barely speak to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 230March 20, 2018 4:49 AM

Some of the smaller locations in southern California (Palos Verde, Marina del Rey, etc.) are pretty tight-knit with staff and even members, kind of your extended dysfunctional family I've noticed. They sure notice when a new or visiting member is in their midst.

I enjoy keeping a low profile at the busier locations, but of course you have those that want to talk to EVERYONE, trying to make friends when some just don't want to. Quite painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 231March 20, 2018 4:55 AM

There was a nice-looking guy working out today. Tall, blonde. At first I wanted to make eye contact with him and maybe say hello, but he looked so... mean that I couldn't look him in the eye.

by Anonymousreply 232March 20, 2018 5:27 AM

I'll just going to listen to funny podcasts. I'll be laughing or smiling a lot, which someone might take as a signal I'm friendly.

by Anonymousreply 233March 20, 2018 5:32 AM

People who need to talk to people at the gym. I don’t get it. Gym trolls?

by Anonymousreply 234March 20, 2018 5:33 AM

R234, not talking a lot, but at least a degree of amicability. Like not frowning at everyone and failing to acknowledge others' politeness or accommodations towards you. It's just strange.

by Anonymousreply 235March 20, 2018 5:37 AM

Do you follow members around, R235? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 236March 20, 2018 5:39 AM

No, R236. But the gym isn't large. You run into the same person over and over as you do your different sets.

by Anonymousreply 237March 20, 2018 5:41 AM

A few EQ trainers were working out this morning and started joking around. One of them mooned the other two. Super sweet muscle ass. What a great way to start my day.

by Anonymousreply 238March 22, 2018 4:36 PM

R218, what was it like working at the spa there? Did you get free services? Did the female massage therapists get a lot of creepers hitting on them? Were there any closeted married guys who came for massages from men? Spa stories are always fun.

by Anonymousreply 239March 22, 2018 4:59 PM

Equinox/92nd St NYC

Commissioned art...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240March 22, 2018 8:10 PM

[quote]closeted married guys

Gay men are so into these kinds if men, no?

by Anonymousreply 241March 22, 2018 8:12 PM

This is what you're paying for. A new Equinox in NYC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242March 23, 2018 3:13 PM

The showers...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243March 23, 2018 3:14 PM

It's very nice and feels safe. No one is overtly rude. Everyone is pretty quiet. The staff are very obliging and they smile at you a lot.

by Anonymousreply 244March 23, 2018 3:21 PM

The more you pay, the less homophobia you experience—or any at all.

by Anonymousreply 245March 23, 2018 3:27 PM

Well, it's a bit more nuanced, R245. Compare a low-end gym in a gay area to a luxury gym in a mainstream area - the former is a bit friendlier, in large part because a lot of the members at the latter are somewhat homophobic straight guys, and because some of the staff - especially the locker room cleaning people - are overtly unfriendly to gay guys, and are more present in the luxury gyms, as they cleaning constantly, vs. the low-end gyms, where they're almost never seen.

by Anonymousreply 246March 23, 2018 3:31 PM

That’s very true R246. I wish I lived in a gay area. Funny you comment on homophobic staff, I was reading the reviews of a gym in my area and one of reviewers said that one of the personal trainers was telling other staff and members that he was gay to treat him badly because of it. He was a bodybuilder, or something and he did very well in some competition and the trainer had a problem with that. But, the reviewer didn’t recommend the gym.

by Anonymousreply 247March 23, 2018 4:01 PM

The staff at Equinox are extremely nice to "Destination" members. Not the locker room staff, who are gruff and kind of resentful (because some members are jerks to them), but the trainers and front desk staff are extremely friendly and solicitous. It's kind of amusing.

by Anonymousreply 248March 23, 2018 4:09 PM

R248 I'll second that about the locker room staff. There are a few locations that I go to where the attendants are straight up assholes to everyone. I do imagine that it's probably because a lot of the members treat them/speak to them like slaves.

As far as trainers go... I know of about a dozen of them that provide "extra services," to their clients after their work outs.... for a cash tip.

by Anonymousreply 249March 23, 2018 4:31 PM

[quote] As far as trainers go... I know of about a dozen of them that provide "extra services," to their clients after their work outs.... for a cash tip.

R249, at Equinox? NYC or LA? I can't imagine that happening at mine - but then again, most of the trainers there are women.

by Anonymousreply 250March 23, 2018 4:34 PM

R250 both. But more prominent in LA.

by Anonymousreply 251March 23, 2018 6:10 PM

There's no cut and dry answer, and obviously depends on the individual. I use to work out at Eqnx in SF and OC and shelled out $175/mo w/no issues given their proximity to my office, prime time working out and farther locations of comparable gyms. Now, I pay Gold's Hlwd $20/mo (since last fall) to work out early am, but shower at home (vs. about $200/mo for the new Eqnx Hlwd, which is very nice though smaller than Weho). So the extra $180/mo was not worth the onsite showering, classes, clientele, atmosphere, etc. for me.

by Anonymousreply 252March 23, 2018 6:12 PM

R250, the WeHo Equinox?

by Anonymousreply 253March 23, 2018 6:29 PM

R249, the WeHo Equinox?

by Anonymousreply 254March 23, 2018 6:29 PM

R227 you're going to a gym for rich snobs, what do you expect? Most people when they go to a gym just want to exercise, and leave. I've been going to gyms all my life and I don't like the people who while I'm in the middle of exercising who I recognize only from seeing at the gym feel the need to start long conversations with me.

If you want to join a gym to meet men to get fucked by or date, you're joining for the wrong reasons. Go on grindr, or to a bath house/sex club instead.

by Anonymousreply 255March 24, 2018 1:05 PM

It looks like New York Sports Club, (Town Sports International) is going to have a luxury line too. I totally missed the linked story when it broke. But, there are NYSC that are now going luxury ie Grand Central Station, just to name one and the company will build from that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256April 2, 2018 9:58 PM

Equinox has opened near where I live and I’m so excited to join. It’ll be a nicer experience just because people have money and they don’t want to get involved with other people. Someone commented here or on another gym thread that members don’t talk to each other. That’s awesome. Looking forward to joining.

by Anonymousreply 257May 31, 2018 5:30 PM

How much do trainers charge by the hour? How much for the after hour fun?

by Anonymousreply 258May 31, 2018 5:48 PM

New all access monthly membership....

$250.00!

by Anonymousreply 259February 10, 2019 4:42 PM

That’s a crazy amount of money. The only equinox I’ve been to (Tribeca) is def not worth that. I’ve heard others are nicer.

There must be some in between nysc and equinox? I like my local Y in Bklyn better but we also get some crazy people.

by Anonymousreply 260February 10, 2019 5:14 PM

$3000/per year!

For a gym???

by Anonymousreply 261February 10, 2019 5:31 PM

Just had fun in the steam room. LA.

by Anonymousreply 262February 10, 2019 7:16 PM

Which location, R262?

by Anonymousreply 263February 11, 2019 2:31 PM

Equinox, bizarrely, still charges extra for The Printing House gym because of their roofdeck pool. It is the size of a postage stamp, they don't serve drinks there, the deck area is closed half the year and when it is open, the pool always is closed for maintenance. It's a HUGE ripoff.

by Anonymousreply 264February 11, 2019 5:54 PM

The manager of one of them (I won't reveal which) is a piss bottom. So sometimes I feed him my load (in all senses) and then he lets me in free.

by Anonymousreply 265February 11, 2019 6:00 PM

[quote]The manager of one of them (I won't reveal which) is a piss bottom. So sometimes I feed him my load (in all senses) and then he lets me in free.

MMPH! I don't want to ruin your good thing but if he is looking for additional partners I'd be game! $250/month??? RIDICULOUS!

by Anonymousreply 266February 11, 2019 6:11 PM

[quote]The manager of one of them (I won't reveal which) is a piss bottom. So sometimes I feed him my load (in all senses) and then he lets me in free.

Are you in NY?

There are at least 3 different Managers at various NY clubs that fuck around. I know of 1 in LA.

by Anonymousreply 267February 11, 2019 6:12 PM

I might be overreacting BUT I think there might be a backlash that is happening. TODAY, I have received trial overs from Crunch and NYSC. NYSC is starting a luxury gym model. That's why they bought TMPL and probably will buy the recently defunct Clay location. But, I was just given an all access deal of $69.99

But, I'm surprised with these gyms marketing like they are in Feb. I guess they did not hit the January quota.

by Anonymousreply 268February 11, 2019 6:15 PM

Also, be careful at Equinoxes. The staff at a lot of the locations are known for stealing. Because so many of the locations now have the combo locks, they help themselves to anything of value in your locker. Also, if you ever lose anything there? Don't bother to ask if they've seen it. They pocket the stuff and claim it was never turned in.

by Anonymousreply 269February 11, 2019 6:17 PM

I haven't heard about the stealing, R269. But, you're right about losing stuff there. If one loses something there then it is gone forever.

by Anonymousreply 270February 11, 2019 6:27 PM

R270 I have seen both happen on multiple occasions. I'm also friendly with several of the employees there who have told me that it's well known among the staff that they'll pocket whatever is lost.

by Anonymousreply 271February 12, 2019 2:58 PM

Yes it is. The higher the membership price, the nicer the environment (members that is). No homophobia, members keep to themselves for the most part and are polite, it’s worth it. You have to take into account who works out there too. If it’s homophobic people, then you’ll be wasting your money because you won’t have a good work out, plus you’ll be stressed out. Lower gym memberships attract seedy crowds. Been there, done that, done with it.

by Anonymousreply 272February 12, 2019 3:08 PM

R3 nails it.

Depends what you want out of the gym, what features (showers, classes) you'll use and how far it is from your house/office.

by Anonymousreply 273February 12, 2019 3:12 PM

I can confirm that Equinox staff routinely steal from the lockers so watch your valuables. And it's not necessarily the maintenance staff doing it.

Several locations only have one master key to unlock lockers and it's placed outside of the locker room in a room accessible to all staff. They're supposed to have to sign the key out, but they don't.

They use the key to just open lockers during business hours and help themselves.

by Anonymousreply 274February 13, 2019 5:34 PM

Staff stealing is not a widespread occurrence at the multiple EQ's I've used, but it has happened depending on the location and available pool of potential employees (or poor hiring practices of a manager). This also happens at every other gym chain I've used.

My main EQ just recently changed its lockers to the built-in combination locks, and everyone hates them. People forget which locker they used, especially when they change locations in the locker room from visit to visit based on where a crowd is when they arrive. Also, the combinations are way too easily changed when closing the door. Obviously, if someone accidentally and unknowingly changes one of the 4 digits when closing the door or flipping the knob, the person's usual combination is not correct any longer and they have to call maintenance person for help. Because all of the maintenance people have master keys to open the lockers and I've seen them opening a string of lockers for someone who does not know which locker is theirs, I've stopped leaving valuables in mine. I have not heard of any thefts, but trusting that someone will properly lock a locker they've opened when trying to help a member find their crap is not a risk I'm willing to take.

I've heard of more instances where items were taken because members left them out on the benches or in unlocked lockers, and this was in gyms other than Equinox. Hopefully most people are honest and wouldn't mess with someone else's stuff though. I found a wallet on the floor just last month and returned it to the owner while he was working out based on the picture on his driver's license.

by Anonymousreply 275February 14, 2019 5:38 PM

R275 which Equinoxes do you us and I can tell you if they have an issue or not... because I can tell you that a large number of them do have theft issues.

And it's good that you returned the wallet to the person directly. I notice that a LOT of members just leave valuable things behind and for the most part, I never see any other members touch it. I've seen items left for days (not actual valuables but stuff someone might be tempted to take) and it's always impressed me that the members will typically leave it alone. As mentioned above, never give an item to an Equinox staff member. The rightful owner will never get it back.

by Anonymousreply 276February 14, 2019 6:11 PM

[quote]I can tell you that a large number of them do have theft issues.

Yes! The $250/month membership fee is nothing but thievery.

by Anonymousreply 277February 14, 2019 6:14 PM

R276, I'm in Palo Alto, CA and Greenwich, CT.

It's unfair to paint all Equinox employees with such a broad brush though. Most are good folks, and every business has a few bad apples that cycle through over time. I'm not naive though. I've seen managers sleeping with employees, employees taking supplies, etc. I'm sure it's worse at gyms that have less stringent hiring requirements.

by Anonymousreply 278February 14, 2019 6:29 PM

Stealing has never been a problem are my equinox.

by Anonymousreply 279February 14, 2019 6:32 PM

*at my

by Anonymousreply 280February 14, 2019 6:33 PM

What's that super cheap gym by Equinox?

by Anonymousreply 281February 14, 2019 6:37 PM

Blink, R281

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282February 14, 2019 6:42 PM

R278 was it Palo Alto that recently changed their locks? I know as of October of last year you still had to bring your own. If it is Palo Alto, then that is the reason there hasn't be a theft problem at that location... yet.

However, the Palo Alto branch is one of the most complained about branches (received by Corporate), mostly due to staff issues. It's primarily due to the Manager who everyone seems to hate yet they do nothing about.

by Anonymousreply 283February 14, 2019 7:36 PM

R279 which location? You might just not be aware of it. They're obviously not going to announce it.

by Anonymousreply 284February 14, 2019 7:36 PM

What are you, a Lifetime Fitness rep? ^^ Lol. You seem way invested.

by Anonymousreply 285February 14, 2019 7:38 PM

^^^What are you an Equinox salesperson??? Why does the truth bother you?

by Anonymousreply 286February 14, 2019 7:40 PM

Yet another thread started by a social media intern.

by Anonymousreply 287February 14, 2019 7:42 PM

Tiresome, R287. Social media interns don't know what DL is.

by Anonymousreply 288February 14, 2019 7:43 PM

One of the Equinoxes had to get rid of the majority of its staff a few years ago because so many of them were stealing. I dont know if any of them were stealing from members but they were stealing from the company. Apparently they were lifting whatever they wanted from the shop.

Wasn't someone also running a gun business out of the Greenwich location?

by Anonymousreply 289February 14, 2019 7:48 PM

These posts sound like they’re from competitors. There’s too much invested. It’s just a gym. An expensive that seems to anger people.

by Anonymousreply 290February 14, 2019 9:39 PM

Yeah, I blocked (cant remember) just the “stealing” crowd and the “gun” dude above and poof, lots of the posts are gone.

by Anonymousreply 291February 14, 2019 9:41 PM

Well, R291 not only are you dumb, you're full of shit. I've only posted once in this thread. You sound sad. You also sound like you talk to yourself a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292February 14, 2019 9:52 PM

R288 yes they do... and they don’t need to do a lot. Just one thread across a variety of platforms like this. I found DL very easily by the way, thru Google. It’s near the top if you Google “gossip.”

by Anonymousreply 293February 14, 2019 9:52 PM

Funny, block R291 and see how many posts disappears and how he also talks to himself.

by Anonymousreply 294February 14, 2019 9:53 PM

Poors complaining about an establishment they could never afford to step foot in. Shocker.

by Anonymousreply 295February 14, 2019 9:57 PM

Hmmm, I’m the last person who understands how blocking works here. I did block r291 and only see two posts that disappeared. Maybe now is a good time to ask: would they all appear in the Ignored section under “posts by ignored poster x”? How about the other “posts by ignored person”... there’s a list of 20 like that with no posts underneath.

by Anonymousreply 296February 14, 2019 9:59 PM

Oh look it cleared its cookies to complain about "poors."

Honey, we can be members at Equinox and still talk about how there are issues. Acting like you're a member and nothing ever bad happens there makes you sound stupid.

by Anonymousreply 297February 14, 2019 10:05 PM

R283, Palo Alto changed its locks on the lockers this past December (over the weekend of Dec. 15th if I recall correctly).

I haven't seen a huge amount of staff turn-over since I joined last summer. I'm there nearly every day. Knowing if any trouble is going on behind the scenes is difficult; it appears that the staff get along well. I rarely see the general manager out on the floor and haven't met him, so I can't speak to that aspect at all. The club does seem to run itself though. As in most Equinox clubs, the maintenance staff seem to work the hardest out of anyone there.

by Anonymousreply 298February 15, 2019 10:58 AM

Oh, R297, hunnnny. Lolol.

by Anonymousreply 299February 15, 2019 12:54 PM

Any review of the new Orchard St, Lower East Side. Live next door, thinking of joining. (all aspects, social etc.)

by Anonymousreply 300February 15, 2019 12:57 PM

It’s worth the join, R300. Equipment is top of the line. Everything is top of the line in quality. Equinox is extremely pro-gay, Pride month is a big deal. All these things make a difference as a gay member. My experience at other gyms was not great. It’s expensive but it’s great.

by Anonymousreply 301February 15, 2019 1:03 PM

I would work out at equinox but if I cancel I would work out at home. Other gyms have all been the same—seedy members, homophobia, all that. No more regular gyms.

by Anonymousreply 302February 15, 2019 1:05 PM

Thank You! I will receive a discount as I live in the building. Neighbor?

by Anonymousreply 303February 15, 2019 1:06 PM

The Thank You was for 301

by Anonymousreply 304February 15, 2019 1:07 PM

Go for it, R303! And, you can cancel if it doesn’t work out. No, not a neighbor. 😊

by Anonymousreply 305February 15, 2019 1:08 PM

Nuh-Uh.... That's not going to fly, R301. You come across to me as a salesman. So seriously, (in your opinion), what justifies Equinox's $250/month membership fee? How is their tread mill any different than that of Crunch, NYSC, Blank, etc?

by Anonymousreply 306February 15, 2019 1:10 PM

I’m not a salesman. I just said “homophobia” for me. I haven’t been called a faggot once since I joined. Asshole. You’re blocked.

by Anonymousreply 307February 15, 2019 1:16 PM

Can some of you explain how gyms are homophobic?

I mean how does someone know you're gay? Do you wear a rainbow flag t-shirt that says "I love cock!"?

Not trying to be snarky, but the only conversations I've ever had in the gym were along the lines of "do you mind if I work in with you?" and "are those the 25s or the 30s?"

by Anonymousreply 308February 15, 2019 1:19 PM

Yeah you are being snarky. Blocked.

by Anonymousreply 309February 15, 2019 1:20 PM

[quote] I’m not a salesman. I just said “homophobia” for me. I haven’t been called a faggot once since I joined. Asshole. You’re blocked.

[quote] Yeah you are being snarky. Blocked

So one of those overly sensitive types who sees every perceived slight as homophobia.

Check.

by Anonymousreply 310February 15, 2019 1:23 PM

R298 it's not that the staff at Palo Alto don't get along with each other. The complaints are that the staff can be terrible to the members. Most complaints are about the trainers and the spa staff. I also should have clarified, the problem with the Manager is the District Manager, who is also in charge of the San Mateo branch. Issues are turned over to her and she rarely ever responds to members and in turn Corporate never responds to complaints about that Manager.

You are definitely right that the Maintenance crew at the majority of Equinoxes work harder than everyone else. I'm always amazed that they work so damn hard in the locker rooms and yet they also seem to be the nicest and friendliest of the staff. I will also say that in my experience, the members are also really friendly, nice, and polite to the Maintenance crew across branches. I think that's refreshing as a lot of times people can just be assholes to people who work in Maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 311February 15, 2019 2:14 PM

We're all joining!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312February 15, 2019 2:24 PM

I just don't like how the trainers take up all the equipment from the start of sessions: they set up their ropes, blocks, kettleballs, etc. all on the floor for their clients, like no one else is there. It's fucking annoying as shit.

by Anonymousreply 313February 15, 2019 2:38 PM

I had sex with my trainer from Orchard Street. Now I feel guilty and not sure how long I should wait to go back. The sex is a one time thing, I hope, because he is a great confident caring trainer. Fuck, what did I do...

by Anonymousreply 314February 17, 2019 2:53 PM

spill more. the woman manager there is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 315February 17, 2019 3:26 PM

Well, I hope the sex was great. So many hot men in the neighborhood! I would join there just for the scenery!!

by Anonymousreply 316February 17, 2019 3:33 PM

pretty good gym. a little in the high price range

by Anonymousreply 317February 17, 2019 6:29 PM

Absolutely not.

by Anonymousreply 318February 17, 2019 6:30 PM

Absolutely not? care to elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 319February 17, 2019 6:42 PM

Ignore, R319.

by Anonymousreply 320February 17, 2019 6:43 PM

So many hot men in the neighborhood! I would join there just for the scenery!! Orchard Street.

by Anonymousreply 321February 17, 2019 6:48 PM

A lot of NYU students.

by Anonymousreply 322February 17, 2019 7:24 PM

For those that live near the Orchard St. gym, let's get it sexy!! No sex inside, but place to meet.

by Anonymousreply 323February 17, 2019 8:19 PM

I love this ad!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324February 17, 2019 11:16 PM

Cant see it^.

by Anonymousreply 325February 17, 2019 11:21 PM

[quote]A lot of NYU students.

At $250/month? There's something VERY wrong with this picture...

by Anonymousreply 326February 17, 2019 11:48 PM

Was at Orchard Street this morning. Not crowded, but many rich college men The more the merrier!

by Anonymousreply 327February 18, 2019 12:27 PM

You get away from rif raf at Equinox. I also hardly see roided out teens or “fitness models”. Not one fight either.

by Anonymousreply 328February 18, 2019 12:32 PM

Rather—I never see roided out...not hardly. I never do.

by Anonymousreply 329February 18, 2019 12:32 PM

[quote]You get away from rif raf at Equinox.

Mmph....

by Anonymousreply 330February 18, 2019 12:35 PM

Just a bunch of decent looking everyday guys that take care of themselves. would love to get a hold of some NYU dick there!!

by Anonymousreply 331February 18, 2019 12:40 PM

[quote]Was at Orchard Street this morning. Not crowded, but many rich college men...

I guess the manager of that location is working overtime?

-2/2/2019 Men's locker room is actually embarrassing there's trash overflowing, no towels, disgusting floors, dirty razors all over the place... if you work here and are reading this you should be embarrassed at the state of a brand new gym!

-1/26/2019 The crew that cleans the men's locker room is terrible. They spread out hoses and buckets of chemicals hours before the close of the gym. One weekend evening they literally hit a customer with the hose spray as he walked out of the shower and was drying off. Chemicals are left on the floor. The cleaners put the items from the counter onto the floor to clean the counter. Then put them back on the counter. Kinda gross and defeated the purpose of cleaning the counter to begin with. Don't bother complaining because the staff could care less.

-1/20/2019 This location is terrible. Very loud, crowded and hot. The front desk staff is very nice but the general manager isn't great. Although It's not too bad if you come first thing in the morning

-1/4/2019 My first 2 weeks there were great, but the gym has fallen apart on so many levels so quickly. Equinox Orchard Street is not kept up to Equinox standards nor the standards I was sold on. Customer service and the overall quality and cleanliness of the gym is lacking at a basic level. This is a very cheaply constructed and furnished gym as it is already falling apart and it is beyond unsanitary. I have brought several instances to the manager, Melissa's attention, but her only solution is to make an exception and let me cancel my membership. She gets very defensive and hostile when notified or asked about these issues. She gives the impression that she is incapable or disinterested in dealing with members or improving the gym.

ONGOING ISSUES

(All issues noted to staff and management with no improvements.)

* Showers are all clogged. There is an inch of water pooling. Very unsanitary.

* Steam rooms reek of mold.

* Shower lines are very long as too many classes are getting out at the same time. Better scheduling to accommodate volume.

* Metal covers for screws inside lockers fall off and are scattered throughout the gym. They are sharp on the back side and get unknowingly stepped on. The now exposed metal screws snag on items when you get your stuff out of the locker.

* Locker combinations are already faulting. Unsure why they didn't install the electronic ones that most other gyms or spas use.

* Holes and rips in yoga studio ceiling.

* Floor in pilates studio has buckled and is dangerously uneven.

* Mats used in the main studio are put back to be used again without cleaning them and there are not mat towels available in this room. It's a health hazard.

* Staff is cleaning with chemicals and vacuuming around people working out or in the locker room. Clean before/after hours as to not expose members to chemical agents, dust and cords to trip over.

* Towels are constantly running out and dirty ones piling up. There is not enough staff to manage this and it's unfair to them.

* No proper equipment maintenance. No signage to warn you a machine does not work. Various machines do not work and have not worked for months despite it being reported; no audio, no TV, machine does not work at all, shuts down in the middle of a workout, or are dangerously off balance. The time isn't even right on the machines. That's how little attention they have to detail. Staff needs to check each machine regularly to ensure it functions safely.

* Poor communication. There was no hot water at the gym. There were no signs or communication for the 2hrs it was out.

* And where are these 'meeting spaces' that I was sold on? Is it the chair under the stairs or the Ikea couch covered in sweat?

by Anonymousreply 332February 18, 2019 2:08 PM

OUCH!!!! Managers..What's up? Hope these where growing pains, but by the dates and on-going, I'm not sure. Not good for those that bought apartments in the building, even if they get a discount.

by Anonymousreply 333February 18, 2019 2:19 PM

[QUOTE] Fuck, what did I do...

Yeah R314, what did you do? We need details.

by Anonymousreply 334February 18, 2019 2:43 PM

Kissed at first then...went from there. I am sure you can figure it out. Live in the neighborhood (extremely close to gym..hint, hint)

by Anonymousreply 335February 18, 2019 2:49 PM

R332 I don't anyone who would use a revolting yoga mat from the gym and expect it to be clean or cleaned.

by Anonymousreply 336February 18, 2019 2:51 PM

R328, most would want to get away from you. You seem like an Insufferable lame ass.

by Anonymousreply 337February 18, 2019 2:55 PM

I have a message for all you insufferable Yelp queens: WORKOUT AT HOME, MOTHERFUCKERS

by Anonymousreply 338February 18, 2019 3:12 PM

Oh my R 337. Anger over that post? Mental. Blocked.

by Anonymousreply 339February 18, 2019 3:14 PM

Planet Fitness instead?

by Anonymousreply 340February 18, 2019 3:28 PM

Yeah — go to planet fitness. I don’t know why people assume paying less is smart. You get low quality equipment, service, etc. You’re actually throwing youe money away there. And, I say this as someone who went to lower paying gym. I lost muscle because the equipment was so poor. I went more often, didn’t work.

by Anonymousreply 341February 18, 2019 3:32 PM

understood, thanks 341

by Anonymousreply 342February 18, 2019 3:33 PM

And the vibe at PF is total slackard and aesthetically uninspiring

by Anonymousreply 343February 18, 2019 3:35 PM

I want to work out amongst hot people that are gymspiration

by Anonymousreply 344February 18, 2019 3:35 PM

I found myself saying how terrible I looked, R342. Just no muscle. Thin.

by Anonymousreply 345February 18, 2019 3:36 PM

[quote]I want to work out amongst hot people that are gymspiration

TMPL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346February 18, 2019 3:38 PM

I am a member at the newish location on the LES, NYC. So far so good!! Good looking men. Trying to decided on a personal trainer, as I live nearby. Any recommendations? (male preferred)

by Anonymousreply 347February 18, 2019 3:38 PM

[quote]Trying to decided on a personal trainer, as I live nearby. Any recommendations? (male preferred)

OH! Please share with us the costs of their training sessions.

by Anonymousreply 348February 18, 2019 3:40 PM

Not concerned about additional cost of trainer, just looking for a really good compassionate trainer from Equinox on LES.

by Anonymousreply 349February 18, 2019 3:43 PM

You must be a trust fund baby, R349

by Anonymousreply 350February 18, 2019 3:46 PM

Nope - I work.

by Anonymousreply 351February 18, 2019 3:49 PM

If you're looking for a "compassionate male trainer," you might as well hire an escort.

by Anonymousreply 352February 18, 2019 4:33 PM

not what I meant..LOL...Obviously this i not the place to ask. LOL

by Anonymousreply 353February 18, 2019 6:15 PM

I'll be in the LES location..mouth wet for NYU cum!!

by Anonymousreply 354February 18, 2019 8:06 PM

What gym has the hottest dudes in the DC area?

by Anonymousreply 355February 18, 2019 9:29 PM

R349, I can't recommend anyone specifically, but I do have a story that might help. This past Fall I worked with a trainer twice a week in Palo Alto who was the nicest, most compassionate trainer I've used yet. He's been a trainer for a couple of years while he's been getting ready to apply to medical school. He really knows his stuff about the body and its systems, he's a very hard worker, and wasn't a drill sergeant. My point is .... Maybe you can talk to the training manager to find out the backgrounds of some of the trainers. Tell them if you prefer someone who tends to work with older folks perhaps. Also, I watched the trainers work out in their off-time and also observed them with their clients before choosing a trainer to work with. You can learn a lot about them by observing. I feel a trainer shouldn't be staring at his phone (unless he's timing you) or sitting around looking bored during a session. Also, good trainers at Eq don't have their clients on weight machines for 100% of their workouts. Instead, they should have clients do a lot of dynamic, compound movements - even for strength training - with a little bit of machine work mixed in.

BTW, you can change trainers. In other words, if you buy a 12 package, for example, and you decide you want to use a different trainer, you're not locked into that person. You could even pause your training while you look for a different trainer. There might be a price difference depending on which tier the trainers are, but that can be worked out as needed.

by Anonymousreply 356February 19, 2019 1:55 AM

Also, R349, when I suggested looking for a trainer who works with older clients, I didn't mean to imply that you're old. I have no idea what your age is. I know though that often the trainers who work with older clients (meaning 40 y.o. and higher) tend to be more patient and more informed about injuries and ailments. Many of the younger trainers are well informed, but they tend to use more of a Crossfit methodology, which can be quite intense and injury-prone.

by Anonymousreply 357February 19, 2019 2:00 AM

I've been unimpressed by the Equinox personal trainers who I have seen and witnessed. I have worked in the past with one of them and my primary reason for doing so was because he was a young kid just starting out. In only speaking about him, he was very good but his approach to exercise was not really a good fit for me and what I wanted. He had more of a track runner's perspective where I was much more interested in weightlifting and bodybuilding. But, I'm glad I could help him out.

But, this had me looking at the other trainers and their work too. Only two, possibly 3 (I've been with Equinox for 7 years), have stood out for me. First, and in my opinion, your body is your business card and only those that I noted, had bodies that were impressive to me. The others are very fit people but.... Of the 3 that I pointed out; one is a former football player. Another is a former lawyer but I liked how he worked with his clients. The third I can't remember. I have never really seen the Equinox Trainers working with weights with their clients. Anyway, I would compare/contrast these Equinox trainers to those personal trainers of like say a David Barton's or my trainer and his location where I'm working out now (Iconoclast Fitness-private gym)... MAGAZINE COVERS! All of them! The men and the women! But in fairness, these people are pursuing acting, fitness model, etc, careers. These people are your Instagram models. They're more into the "Hollywood" type attitude. As I have told many of them; "I don't want to be a porn star. I just want to look like one!" Anyway, these trainers "get" me and when I have told any of them that their reply was; "Let's get to work" and we get the job done!

Here's my point: YOU have to know what you want to get out of a trainer. Besides being knowledgeable and doing a great job, your trainer should be inspirational and aspirational for and to you. Generally speaking, I don't get that feeling from the Equinox Personal Trainers.

by Anonymousreply 358February 19, 2019 2:34 AM

[quote]Also, good trainers at Eq don't have their clients on weight machines for 100% of their workouts. Instead, they should have clients do a lot of dynamic, compound movements - even for strength training - with a little bit of machine work mixed in.

Ah... I just read your post, R356 and you're right about how the Equinox trainers train. Speaking for myself, that doesn't work for me as I wrote above in my long post. I want to go in and in 12 weeks I want to come out as "300" or "Spartacus". I have yet to see bodies and/or results such as that at any Equinox where I have worked out of. But... I have seen that (and experienced it for myself) at the other gyms where I have been in. Heck! I don't even really see the type of bodies that Equinox uses in their own advertisements.

by Anonymousreply 359February 19, 2019 2:48 AM

Thanks, advice taken.

by Anonymousreply 360February 19, 2019 11:10 AM

Bodies come in all shapes and sizes, and so do trainers, whether at Equinox or at other gyms. Some look like fitness/Instagram/porn models, some look like very healthy 50 year olds, some look a little 'roided out, and so on. Often both trainers and clients are genetically blessed, while others of us are in a constant fight from turning back into the fat kid we once were. Kudos to anyone who wants to work out. The key is to work out smart, feel comfortable with your trainer or at least where you're exercising, and stay healthy.

Over the years, I've been a member of Lifetime Fitness in the midwest, Equinox on both coasts, Planet Fitness, at-work gyms, and New York Sports Club (depending on where I've lived and how much money I could put toward a gym membership at the time). Without a doubt, my most successful and enjoyable exercise experiences have been at Equinox, so I am a fan. Not everything there is perfect, but what place can be perfect 100% of the time for 100% of its members?

by Anonymousreply 361February 19, 2019 3:09 PM

What a misguided post R358

You're confusing someone who has *been trained* with someone who *knows how to train*

It's why star athletes rarely make good coaches.

While your Equinox trainer may not look like a Men's Health cover model, he may have far more knowledge of current training techniques and what works for and motivates people at various ages and levels of fitness and how to prevent injuries and increase flexibility, etc. Ditto diet tips for someone who needs to eat out frequently for work or someone with a family who needs to eat at the same time as their kids.

Versus knowing how to get an endomorph who is genetically predisposed to having a Men's Health Cover body (e.g., themselves) into great shape. That's useful if you are young, have a similar body but not that helpful for everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 362February 19, 2019 3:55 PM

It's worth the cost if you want to see me presenting hole in the showers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363February 19, 2019 4:00 PM

Lifetime Fitness was awful. I was a member for ten years. That gym will bankrupt in ten years, I bet. Anytime Fitness was very nice and clean but the machines are on the cheaper end, I believe and that affects your development no matter how long or much you work out. Equinox is the best experience at a gym I have had.

by Anonymousreply 364February 19, 2019 4:04 PM

yes I do it for the anonymous sex alone. It has paid off for me personally in the currency of random hookups of 2-3 a week. I have heard this can be done at other gyms, but I think it’s almost guaranteed at Equinox.

by Anonymousreply 365February 19, 2019 4:06 PM

[quote]What a misguided post [R358] You're confusing someone who has *been trained* with someone who *knows how to train*

????

Would you prefer that I lie?

My apologies to you but I'm results oriented. My results, what my goals are, and what I want to spend my money for. I'm not going to spend nearly $3K or more to hear that my BMI is down and how great it is that I can now run on on a tread mill for 5 miles versus the 3 miles I was already doing before I started with a Personal Trainer. Nope. It's definitely about the aesthetics when it comes to me. What I will see in the mirror at the end of "our" training package will be the determination of if I will continue on with that trainer or not. Their mission is quite direct; "Make me look like the slut that I know that I can be!" All of the other stuff will fall into place....

I remember that one chain gym (shh... Crunch) at one point hired former prisoners as personal trainers. There really were a lot of positives about this initiative. Besides these guys looking the part, (see link as an example AND it is JUST an example), they produced the results for their clients. These guys were VERY successful and there were waiting lists to train with them. The clients were VERY happy! However, someone spilled the beans, the press became involved, and the initiative was quietly stopped.

Look... if the Equinox "kumbaya" workout works for you then GREAT. But, some of us look and expect more when engaging a Personal Trainer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366February 19, 2019 4:39 PM

You still have no idea what you're talking about R365

If you have the sort of body that's predisposed to put on muscle, then pretty much any trainer can get you in shape.

But to say that Equinox trainer are bad because they don't look the part is just dumb. And clearly whatever trainers you've hired haven't worked out because you keep searching for new ones.

I've never been an Equinox member, but I suspect that what you are looking for is more easily acquired with HGH and a plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 367February 19, 2019 4:45 PM

R263, Century City

by Anonymousreply 368February 19, 2019 4:46 PM

Blink doesn't look bad.

by Anonymousreply 369February 19, 2019 4:47 PM

Yes, I do have a body that is predisposed to putting on muscle but I don't see that happening at Equinox. I just don't. And, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings but the Equinox trainers simply do not inspire me. As I wrote earlier, I don't even see the type of bodies that Equinox uses in their own advertisements among their trainers.

The trainers I have had have worked. In fact, I'm friends with many of them. But, I get bored and I always look for new, different, and interesting. I've used past trainers again. Many times we cannot reconnect is due to schedules, work loads, etc.

by Anonymousreply 370February 19, 2019 4:57 PM

[quote]Blink doesn't look bad.

Blink is Equinox. I'd do Blink before I'd ever consider Planet Fitness.

by Anonymousreply 371February 19, 2019 4:58 PM

I don’t do equinox because I have a private trainer I like who works out at a private gym. There are never more than 4 people there. I also take private boxing lessons from a renowned boxer and other private lessons. If I work out on my own, I work out golds gym. Equinox is not worth it at all to me and I can afford it.

by Anonymousreply 372February 19, 2019 6:02 PM

[quote] The trainers I have had have worked. In fact, I'm friends with many of them. But, I get bored and I always look for new, different, and interesting. I've used past trainers again. Many times we cannot reconnect is due to schedules, work loads, etc.

Translation: I am a flake with unrealistic goals who chooses trainers based on who I'd like to sleep with.

by Anonymousreply 373February 19, 2019 6:20 PM

We all know the guys that are "mirror muscle" guys, who work out only the muscles that look good in a mirror. If that's you, go for it regardless of where you work out. More power to you. I'm sure the good looks, flashy car, expensive headphones, etc., will bring you a lot of satisfaction, until they don't. Until then, please pick up your towels from the locker room floor.

by Anonymousreply 374February 19, 2019 7:00 PM

I don’t see any of that “alpha male” shit at my equinox, R374.

by Anonymousreply 375February 19, 2019 7:04 PM

[quote] I'm sure the good looks, flashy car, expensive headphones, etc., will bring you a lot of satisfaction,

Don't forget the ROLEX.... And, they do.

[quote]Until then, please pick up your towels from the locker room floor.

I always do and I'll admit that is one of my MAJOR pet peeves about the Equinox locker room, rather the users of the locker room. I have seen many men who are literally standing right next to a towel bin drop their towels on the floor to have them picked up by someone else. What message are they sending?

by Anonymousreply 376February 19, 2019 8:12 PM

[quote]I'd do Blink before I'd ever consider Planet Fitness.

Planet Fitness gives out free pizza and bagels!

by Anonymousreply 377February 20, 2019 11:31 AM

R375: smh 🤦‍♂️ just wow

by Anonymousreply 378February 20, 2019 12:07 PM

I meant smh at r365. 🤦‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 379February 20, 2019 12:07 PM

Got a good tug today at Orchard St.

by Anonymousreply 380February 22, 2019 12:11 PM

^^^ Uh-huh... I guess they have to do "something" since the place is apparently falling apart...

by Anonymousreply 381February 22, 2019 12:16 PM

true!

by Anonymousreply 382February 22, 2019 12:18 PM

I can’t see half the posts in this thread. My watcher shows seven new posts but only one displays.

by Anonymousreply 383February 22, 2019 12:48 PM

R383, sounds like you've blocked one or more people, so you're not seeing their posts. If you click on the Ignored link at the top of the page, you might be able to tell if that's true.

by Anonymousreply 384February 22, 2019 4:28 PM

I agree with the person upthread who posted about the trainers. Every single location I've ever used across the US is the same - the trainers take up all the space, whether with clients or not, and are always in your way.

by Anonymousreply 385February 25, 2019 2:56 PM

over compensating for small penis.

by Anonymousreply 386February 25, 2019 2:58 PM

Sometimes the trainers feel like monitors and/or borderline mean girls. One will be looking straight ahead on a cardio machine, and the trainers will make a point of watching that person, always glancing over to see if he's using the right technique or something.

Like, you're with your client. Stop looking over and judging people who aren't even in your line of sight.

by Anonymousreply 387February 25, 2019 3:01 PM

Century City was crazy crowded today. Like one of those bring-a-friend days with the freebies.

Any other DLers go there?

by Anonymousreply 388February 26, 2019 3:28 AM

Some trainers -- at ANY gym -- are lunkheads. Some are excellent.

I'm a fan of observing the trainers working with their clients and when they work out on their own for new exercise ideas.

by Anonymousreply 389February 26, 2019 4:36 AM

I brought the conversation of this thread up to my trainer last week. He was in agreement with me. He was offered a Personal Training position with two different Equinoxes. After working out a day at each one he declined the jobs. He confirmed my opinion that the trainers are just uninspiring. This was a big difference to him after having worked at Crunch and David Barton.

I'm sure the Equinox trainers are nice people and very knowledgeable but... part of the job is to motivate and inspire, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 390February 26, 2019 12:30 PM

R 390, are you posting from a different device? Because I can’t see your post at R 370. I think you’re that sales person from some other gym. Blocked again.

by Anonymousreply 391February 26, 2019 12:51 PM

Nope, R391. Also, I'm not a gym sales person--although I'm actually considering it.

by Anonymousreply 392February 26, 2019 1:03 PM

R390, where are you working out? Do you like it there?

by Anonymousreply 393February 26, 2019 2:33 PM

Orchard St!

by Anonymousreply 394February 26, 2019 2:38 PM

[quote][R390], where are you working out? Do you like it there?

I train here (see the link). I like it. It's a private gym and its business model is focusing on the independent personal training market. All the trainers, (from what I have see) are results oriented. They're also quite competitive with each other too. I also workout at Equinox.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395February 26, 2019 3:13 PM

Equinox Personal Training Rates

TIER 1:

Single $110

12 Sess. $1212

24 Sess. $2328

TIER 2:

Single $120

12 Sess. $1320

24 Sess. $2544

TIER 3

Single $130

12 $1440

24 $2760

48 $5280

TIER 3+

Single $140

12 $1560

24 $3000

48 $5760

TIER X

12 $2040

24 $3960

48 $7680

104 $16120

Then, of course, monthly membership.....

by Anonymousreply 396March 1, 2019 1:49 PM

A great trainer and facility are worth every penny.

by Anonymousreply 397March 4, 2019 12:53 AM

9 guys in the steam room this afternoon. All well built. All towels open. Some left smiling. After 20 mins, the musical whistle of a cleaning guy dissipated the gathering.

by Anonymousreply 398March 12, 2019 1:09 AM

Which Equinox, r398?

by Anonymousreply 399March 12, 2019 1:35 AM

I am a former Equinox and current New York Sports Club member. Equinox is clearly the superior facility on most fronts, but I was offered a corporate rate for a passport membership to NYSC through my job for 49.99$ a month, so I took it. Additionally, I live on Staten Island, where there is a NYSC but no Equinox. Granted, some NYSC facilities are shitholes. The one I mostly work out at, on Broadway and 48th in the Crowne Plaza Hotel, is pretty nice and quiet during off peak hour. As far as the sex goes.... let’s just say about 80% of my workouts end blowing a load in the sauna with one or more guys. In Staten Island, there’s also no shortage of Trump supporting guido douchbag tough guys playing with each other’s dicks in the showers. Also fun.

by Anonymousreply 400March 12, 2019 1:49 AM

R399, I don't want to provoke the steam room police. In general, west coast.

by Anonymousreply 401March 12, 2019 3:16 AM

R401 Northern or Southern CA?

by Anonymousreply 402March 12, 2019 3:17 AM

Southern

by Anonymousreply 403March 12, 2019 3:32 AM

Interesting, R403. There are only a few Southern CA gyms that could happen at. I'm assuming not OC but LA region?

by Anonymousreply 404March 12, 2019 3:40 AM

Any Century City guys here?

by Anonymousreply 405March 12, 2019 4:13 AM

I belong to both nysc and equinox. More steam room sex occurs at nysc but equinox has hotter guys. I think there is less hooking up at equinox because the straight guys who go there like to go in the steam rooms. The straight guys at nysc stay away because the steam rooms smell so bad.

by Anonymousreply 406March 12, 2019 4:19 AM

Hot version of Anthony Weiner tonight at Century City.

by Anonymousreply 407March 12, 2019 4:22 AM

Equinox maintains its facilities and equipment better than other gyms I’ve belonged to. Every gym - incl EQ - has minor issues, but Equinox has a higher budget for updating and replacing than most others.

by Anonymousreply 408March 12, 2019 8:41 PM

Brickell and Brickell Heights Miami Equinox gyms posted a warning sign next to the steam room last fall. It says anyone caught doing anything inappropriate will have their membership terminated and possibly arrested. Is this only a FL thing or have all locations done this?

by Anonymousreply 409March 13, 2019 12:20 AM

R409, they added it to the Century City steam room. Just below the "we clean the steam room at 3 pm" sign.

by Anonymousreply 410March 13, 2019 12:32 AM

Also at Miami Brickell Heights Equinox was a young, thin, Hispanic locker room attendant who would obviously stop and stare when guys undressed. I think people complained as he’s no longer there.

by Anonymousreply 411March 13, 2019 1:54 AM

Most all Equinoxes have those ZERO TOLERANCE signs after the Wall Street issue.

They have to at least pretend like they care.

by Anonymousreply 412March 13, 2019 1:55 AM

I've seen that sign in other Equinoxes as well. Signage comes from Corporate in NYC. The individual clubs closely follow Corporate's directives; they cannot post signage that is not from Corporate nor have anything that is off-brand even if it's helpful or a good idea. This makes for a fairly consistent member experience, but can be frustrating for staff.

by Anonymousreply 413March 13, 2019 2:04 AM

A lot of gyms put signs up warning against “inappropriate behavior” in the sauna. I’ve never seen it enforced. Most guys use at least some discretion, and the staff isn’t exactly enthusiastically looking to bust guys in the act. I’ve been having sauna sex for years and have never, nor seen anyone else, getting caught, arrested, etc...

by Anonymousreply 414March 13, 2019 2:37 AM

[quote]I’ve been having sauna sex for years

Have you considered seeing a professional?

by Anonymousreply 415March 13, 2019 2:38 AM

The sauna at my Equinox has clear glass. Anyone walking by can see everything. How do you do stuff in the sauna?

I love the steamroom because it can get so steamy that no one can see inside. Sometimes you can't see two feet in front of you. So much easier to mess around. Half the guys who enter the steamroom are looking to play.

by Anonymousreply 416March 13, 2019 2:43 AM

Typical look of an Equinox trainer.

Nice....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417March 13, 2019 5:41 PM

Not that unusual TMPL, Crunch, maybe NYSC trainer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418March 13, 2019 5:43 PM

This is more like the NYSC trainer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419March 13, 2019 5:45 PM

R419 is hot!

by Anonymousreply 420March 13, 2019 5:57 PM

It's Aaron Guy, R420. A trainer in Los Angeles. Also, he is former porn actor Matt Cole. My point is that while Equinox trainers are nice people (I'm sure they are) and knowledgeable, David Barton/TMPL, Crunch, NYSC, trainers will get you to what you want!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421March 13, 2019 9:08 PM

I know plenty of people - and I include myself in this - who have had great results with Equinox trainers, FWIW. I'm sure David Barton/TMPL, Crunch, and NYSC trainers get results, too.

by Anonymousreply 422March 14, 2019 2:03 AM

A bit off topic, but look at the difference in Aaron Guy's body then, (this was a few years back as he was starting to train for a BB competition) and the way he looks now at R419 and R421

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423March 14, 2019 2:15 AM

Another one.

Now, back to topic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424March 14, 2019 2:17 AM

There's no need for a trainer after a couple sessions unless you constantly need motivation to work out.

by Anonymousreply 425March 14, 2019 3:26 AM

Which equinox in Manhattan has the most action ? NYSC is practically dead these days.

by Anonymousreply 426April 3, 2019 11:04 AM

Here's something interesting;

I have an all access pass. What I have noticed, since I've been training at the 53rd, Grand Central, and Park Ave locations, is the change in the training staff. They're not all looking like the trainer at R417. A lot of them were looking more like the guy in the link below.

Of the many years that I have been a member I have never seen trainers of Equinox that looked like this. I'm thinking 2 things; 1) They have a different overall training manager that is not focusing on image and appearances. and/or 2) The job is not attracting the usual "Abercrombie" type look trainer.

I've heard for the longest that Equinox trainers made no money, (well, most personal trainers that work for a chain gym don't) and yet they had very high weekly/monthly quotas to reach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427May 13, 2019 5:01 PM

R427 they have had a huge overhaul in their training staff because Equinox has changed out its pay structure as well as the demands for quotas.

Also, good riddance. Most of the trainers at Equinox are obnoxious pricks who are not only loud, take up space so it's inconvenient for you to use it, especially when they aren't with clients.

by Anonymousreply 428May 13, 2019 5:04 PM

[quote][R427] they have had a huge overhaul in their training staff because Equinox has changed out its pay structure as well as the demands for quotas

Thanks, R428. I knew something had to have happened. And, I don't want to offend stocky guys. A lot of people love stocky guys and many are stocky themselves, but these guys are not the de rigueur of Equinox.

On another note, I went to the Greenwich St location (for those unfamiliar it's Chelsea--gay) and honey.... I had my feelings hurt! Those gurls over there! There is no such thing as the towel dance, and if you want to see an underwear fashion show, then here is the place--that is, those that wear underwear. Anyway, very nice people and very friendly towards me. I told them that I had not been to the location in years and they were very welcoming. Except the one trainer who said; "We'll get you back here and get you into shape!"

Now, wait a minute....

by Anonymousreply 429May 13, 2019 5:19 PM

R429 Greenwich is amazing... so much action there despite that glass wall.

by Anonymousreply 430May 13, 2019 5:52 PM

Well, I don't know about the "action", R430--although I do know what you're talking about. I'm not looking for that. It most certainly is a very lively place! I like the vibe. Fabulously looking and stylish people prancing all around with Diana Ross blaring "I'm Coming Out!". It seems fun. The people DO workout hard. But, it is out of the way for me and I'm going to have to make a special effort to go to that location.

But, speaking of "action"... the East 53rd St location. I've grown SO tired of these DL boys and their antics in the steam room. Either you're gay or you're not. Make a decision and move on. That behavior is just so stupid and juvenile.

by Anonymousreply 431May 13, 2019 6:16 PM

On the whole, Equinox is going down hill. They keep increasing rates and you get less and less for it. Additionally, I'm noticing that equipment is broken (and remains so a lot longer) more frequently than it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 432May 13, 2019 6:45 PM

That's very true, R432. The Company is building hotels. Does it give any type of benefit to all the members who helped build those hotels? No.

A treadmill at Equinox is the same treadmill at Crunch, NYSC, Health & Racquet Club, the YMCA. The BIG difference is that you pay much less to use them. Is anyone a member of Blink? What's that rate now?

by Anonymousreply 433May 13, 2019 7:01 PM

A stepping stone. That’s all it is

Personal Trainer (Former Employee) – New York, NY – February 6, 2019

Equinox as a company is complete garbage. I was a trainer for four years and recently (Jan 2019) am no longer with them. These past four years I saw first hand how the company treats its employees. Slowly taking away healthcare benefits, no longer allowing trainers to go to other gym locations, and not really giving trainers much love and appreciation in general. As personal trainers for the company we alone make the company the majority of its profits, and to know we are not appreciated was why I’m glad I’m no longer there.

The good thing about Equinox is their education system. They have a lot of amazing coaches teaching you the ins and outs of being a great coach and a great busniness person. I would only suggest someone work for Equinox if they are a complete beginner, or you have no real world personal training experience. Use equinox for the education, build a decent client base and then run! The brand will make you think you should stay but trust me, there is very limited growth there! Get what you need to get out of the company and then get out of there ASAP

Pros

Education

Cons

No healthcare, low pay, long hours

by Anonymousreply 434May 13, 2019 7:04 PM

I have to admit that one of my pet peeves of Equinox is whenever I see FOX news playing somewhere in the gym. I know... I know... people are entitled to their whatever, but I just assume that in a place such as NYC, people are much more intelligent and aware.

by Anonymousreply 435May 14, 2019 1:53 PM

R435, when I see FOX News on, I change the channel. Period.

by Anonymousreply 436May 14, 2019 3:10 PM

You guys are really pathetic paying that much money for a gym.

I was stupid like you are in the past but I woke up to my senses and now go to BLINK which uses the same equipment just without the “luxury”.

Unless you’re making a shit ton of money why would you wanna pay these prices for a fucking gym? And no there is not that much sex in there. These guys are exaggerating. Most of the men that go are hetero.

Sounds like most of you are writing out your fantasies

by Anonymousreply 437May 14, 2019 6:56 PM

[quote]Unless you’re making a shit ton of money why would you wanna pay these prices for a fucking gym? And no there is not that much sex in there. These guys are exaggerating. Most of the men that go are hetero.

Ha.

by Anonymousreply 438May 14, 2019 7:10 PM

[quote]Sounds like most of you are writing out your fantasies

Coming from the person who started the thread below?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439May 14, 2019 7:14 PM

[quote]You guys are really pathetic paying that much money for a gym.

Well, i can't disagree with you.

[quote]I was stupid like you are in the past but I woke up to my senses and now go to BLINK which uses the same equipment just without the “luxury”.

Well, you do know that BLINK is EQUINOX, unless they sold it. What are you paying for BLINK these days? I was a member when it very first started. And, let's be honest here... what is exactly luxury about EQUINOX? The eucalyptus towels? I think I've only used 2 or 3 during my many years of membership.

[quote]And no there is not that much sex in there. These guys are exaggerating. Most of the men that go are hetero.

Thus my confusion about all of the antics in the steam room....

by Anonymousreply 440May 14, 2019 7:18 PM

R440 it’s fantasy. I was a member at Equinox for about 5 years and only once saw someone giving a handjob. And I used to go 5 days a week and tried different ones.

NYC Native here. And my friend and his boyfriend are members now and they said they never see hookups either.

I believe that probably happens here and there but not to the extent they make it sound.

And yes, most of the men there are straight. I can’t understand how hard it is to see how small a percentage we are to them. We never outnumber them.

I pay $27 a month for Blink and I can go to ANY Blink fitness throughout all of NYC, in any borough. There’s also a $22 one that allows you to go to any minus the Manhattan locations and a $15 one that allows you access to your local location and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 441May 14, 2019 7:31 PM

You have to be really ugly to not get action at Equinox.

by Anonymousreply 442May 14, 2019 7:33 PM

R442 I’m actually not ugly. I’m 31 (was in my early to later 20s while going to Eq) and take care of myself. I get hit on all the time or get free drinks when I go out etc. but I don’t go to the gym for hookups. I can’t get that. Never have. I can hookup outside of the gym. And I also never see others doing it either. 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 443May 14, 2019 7:37 PM

[quote][R440] it’s fantasy. I was a member at Equinox for about 5 years and only once saw someone giving a handjob. And I used to go 5 days a week and tried different ones.

Well, I must be an anointed one since I run into it all of the time. Nope! I'm not looking for it and nope, I don't want it either. In fact, I become very annoyed because (in my head) these are the same people who will go and kiss their wife or girlfriend later and/or are Republican and against gay civil rights.

I really don't use the steam room and had stopped because of that type of nonsense. I mean... go for coffee or get a room! I fully understand wanting to get your rocks off. But, these clandestine encounters that people do... ENOUGH! I've only gone back to using the steam room because my trainer highly recommends it. Hmmm.... I wonder why he recommended that????

by Anonymousreply 444May 14, 2019 7:51 PM

[quote]I pay $27 a month for Blink and I can go to ANY Blink fitness throughout all of NYC, in any borough. There’s also a $22 one that allows you to go to any minus the Manhattan locations and a $15 one that allows you access to your local location and nothing more.

That's a FANTASTIC price. I believe when they first started I paid $20/month. That was MANY years ago. But, here was their flaw and I'm sure it's different now; Whatever membership I had I could bring a guest with me unlimited. So, you know what every indie personal trainer did? They had their clients become members of BLINK and then the trainer would come as their guest.

by Anonymousreply 445May 14, 2019 8:11 PM

R445 the $27 and $22 plans allow Guests. Not the $15

by Anonymousreply 446May 14, 2019 8:17 PM

Here are the BLINK plans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447May 14, 2019 8:22 PM

[quote][R445] the $27 and $22 plans allow Guests. Not the $15

HaHa! Personal trainer heaven! I recall that the rule was that a trainer could not train you--so to speak. The way around that? The trainer works out with you. When I stopped BLINK they were offering a free hour or half hour with a PT.

by Anonymousreply 448May 14, 2019 8:24 PM

R448 now when you sign up you get one free hour with a PT and that’s it. You can buy a single training session or a bundle if you want.

Yes, the trainers work out with you while guiding you.

by Anonymousreply 449May 14, 2019 8:28 PM

Yes, join the gym. Gyms are the new bathhouses. Hang out at the steam room after a workout and look for some action there. You get your money’s worth.

by Anonymousreply 450May 14, 2019 8:43 PM

I've been a member of multiple Planet Fitness locations (which is the cheapest gym on Earth), LifeTime (a moderate-tier gym), and Equinox. By far, Equinox provides a better experience in terms of amount/quality of equipment, knowledgeable staff, classes, and amenities. I prefer working out near people who don't reek of cigarette smoke and who know how to exercise, and at Equinox I don't feel like I'm going to get mugged in the parking lot. To me, my membership is an investment in my health and quality of life.

Re: "all of the sex at the gym" I see just as much male/female flirting as male/male. If there were a co-ed steam room, I'm sure more male/female stuff would be happening. In fact, the girls who work out in tiny bikini tops spend more time throwing themselves at the trainers than they do exercising. The male/male flirting, parading around in underwear in the locker room, and perhaps hanging in the steam room is generally mild.

by Anonymousreply 451May 14, 2019 9:38 PM

R451 that’s pretty closed minded. I’ve never felt unsafe at a cheaper gym.

It has nothing to do with the gym but the location. Sounds like you’re going to a PF in the ghetto.

I live a few blocks from one that’s near Fort Greene in Brooklyn. A good area.

I go to Blink Park Slope. And it’s safe and most of the people that go there are white. You would feel safe.

by Anonymousreply 452May 14, 2019 9:43 PM

I went to NYSC because I was too cheap to join equinox. I got tired of the clientele at NYSC. Too many of the members smelled like homeless people. The gym and locker rooms were dirty, the staff were not helpful.

I am so happy I switched to equinox. It is clean, everyone is friendly, the staff is helpful, no one smells like homeless people.

I see the same amount of action in the steam rooms at equinox as there was at NYSC. The guys are equinox are hotter. I’ve seen some pretty hideous guys engage in sexual activity in the steam rooms, so if you don’t see any action, take a critical look in the mirror or ask a friend if you have dragon breath.

by Anonymousreply 453May 14, 2019 9:49 PM

[quote]I go to Blink Park Slope. And it’s safe and most of the people that go there are white.

How racism is so interwoven in all of our DNA. It's white and therefore it's safe?

by Anonymousreply 454May 14, 2019 9:52 PM

I agree with 451. The place is rad motivational on a few levels. I primarily go to the one in Battery Park City -and it's packed with all ages of people in killer shape. All you have to do is watch them - discreetly obvi - and you learn new exercises regularly. Or even strike up a conversation. Many of those people are so fucking vain they will totally chat and give you a pointer or two if you ask. I talk to this one guy sometimes who was the captain of his row team at Yale. He puts these tracks down - almost like a rope ladder - and does these crazy agility drills. I started doing them and I am beyond addicted.

I stopped drinking 6 months ago. Doing the math, this membership is cheap compared to what I would spend in one weekend going out in Manhattan. Which could easily be over $200 in one night (dinner, drinks, Ubers).

by Anonymousreply 455May 14, 2019 9:52 PM

I personally do better workouts at Blink than I ever did at Equinox. Equinox is all a facade to look wealthy and cool. Most of you can’t even afford to pay that monthly but do it just to say you go there.

That’s sad.

I rather go to their affordable version, Blink, which is super clean also, same equipment etc. just less luxury. I don’t go to the gym for sex, so I don’t need a steam room to play. I can do that on my personal time.

by Anonymousreply 456May 14, 2019 9:55 PM

Just so you know there’s one person posting over and over about how life saving Equinox is as different people.

🙄

by Anonymousreply 457May 14, 2019 9:56 PM

R454 I’m saying that cause he seems to think cheap = unsafe. That’s nuts. It’s about LOCATION. Even rich areas have cheap gyms. He sounds nuts.

And I’ve never encountered anyone that smelled “homeless” and like cigarettes at PF or Blink. I have seen Equinox trainers outside smoking and eating pies of pizza however.

by Anonymousreply 458May 14, 2019 9:58 PM

Can we define what is luxury? EQUINOX has towels--there are plusher. EQUINOX has eucalyptus towels--I guess that justifies the outrageous price. EQUINOX has shampoo, conditioner, and soap--So does every other gym. EQUINOX is clean--so are most gyms. They may not be as "clean" as EQUINOX but c'mon... you're not living there.

by Anonymousreply 459May 14, 2019 9:59 PM

R459 I agree. That’s why I dropped Equinox and went to their cheaper version Blink and I love it. They also have showers, soap and conditioner etc. they’re also very clean.

And I pay $27 a month vs the $250 I was before.

by Anonymousreply 460May 14, 2019 10:04 PM

I'm glad R452 feels safe wherever he works out. That's important, which is why - after witnessing a couple of fights, a few locker break-ins, and a smash-and-grab of someone's laptop bag from their car - at 3 different Planet Fitnesses over the years in a large city but far from a ghetto, I decided that I'd rather pay more per month for a nicer experience at LifeTime and then Equinox. I don't regret working out at PF; it worked for me when I needed to be frugal. Personally, I think Equinox is worth the money and recommend it without reservation. If you don't think it's worth the money, don't join....Simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 461May 14, 2019 10:13 PM

I’ve seen more robberies at an Equinox than Blink... the staff at mine were stealing from the people. At Blink I’ve seen nothing of the sort.

R461 is full of it.

by Anonymousreply 462May 14, 2019 10:14 PM

Meh, I work out at home and run in my neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 463May 14, 2019 10:15 PM

R463 growing up we had a gym room in our place. My stepfather has always been into fitness so he made a gym room with all weight equipment, a pull up bar, a treadmill, a bike etc.

So I always worked out as a teen.

by Anonymousreply 464May 14, 2019 10:19 PM

I really think that it all comes down to what motivates you. Now, a "gay" gym (y'all know what I mean and it isn't because I'm gay), motivates me! I see the fabulous of the fabulous! These people are the wannabe entertainers, actors, models, etc and they do whatever is necessary to look perfect. The best gym for that was David Bartons (24th St and the Limelight). Such motivation! But, that's me. For other people, it can be other catalysts.

EQUINOX is simply not worth the $238/month that I pay. The trainers and/or the clientele do not motivate me. In fact, the only reason why I'm there is that I had a trainer that wanted to train there and our deal was that I pay his membership instead of paying him. THAT WORKED OUT PERFECTLY! I don't think I'll EVER find another deal like that. The reason why I have stayed (my trainer moved on) is because of my own laziness in looking for another gym and I didn't want to lose my EQUINOX membership price. It seems stupid but I'd rather pay $238 than $250/month. But, bottom line a gym is a gym is a gym pretty much.

by Anonymousreply 465May 14, 2019 10:27 PM

[quote]a few locker break-ins

NYSC on 125th--NOTORIOUS!

by Anonymousreply 466May 14, 2019 10:34 PM

Since feeding trolls is fun...

R462, do let us know when you contract MRSA from your cheap-ass gym.

by Anonymousreply 467May 15, 2019 2:53 AM

R467 not a troll. You’re just dumb.

by Anonymousreply 468May 15, 2019 2:58 AM

Going to my Equinox makes my loins ache. I have to book gay massages every Friday to get the poison out.

by Anonymousreply 469May 15, 2019 4:46 AM

April 25, 2019: Equinox is like the Hotel California. You can sign up anytime you like, but they make it awfully hard (and expensive) to leave. After many years of rising prices and diminishing service (booked classes, crowded locker rooms and rude employees), I decided to cancel my membership. At $250/month, the value proposition simply doesn't work for all but the most frequent users. I tried canceling in person, as required, and was surprised to find a 45-day notification period (effectively a $375 exit fee).

Jan. 8, 2019: Heard from a corporate Equinox employee that they keep raising rates to get people to quit, in order to keep classes and locker rooms less crowded. Well it’s working, after ten years, I’m finally quitting. The past 2 years, or ever since 30/60/90 left, it hasn’t been the same. Classes are lame, especially ALL their “signature” classes (even the new HITT one in 2019).

Feb. 14, 2019: They like to call themselves a luxury gym that offers an experience you can't find anywhere else, well not true. They are just a corporate company with no heart and soul. Impossible to deal with people. They respond by 'automated replies'.

April 26, 2018: Terrible gym and management, people's belonging constantly going missing specifically watches. Happened to me and several other members, it’s an ongoing issue. The managing director (Gentry **) is seemingly careless which raise concerns whether it’s an inside job.

by Anonymousreply 470May 15, 2019 3:03 PM

Dr.Seuss:Equinox is planet fitness for rich people. If you even lift, not only will you save money elsewhere- you'll also be happier.

by Anonymousreply 471May 15, 2019 3:04 PM

Hi timely.... (Published on Apr 25, 2019)

I even go to the Equinox featured in this video when I'm in SOBE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472May 15, 2019 9:09 PM

Equinox doesn't raise rates to get people to quit. They raise rates to finance their other endeavors.

by Anonymousreply 473May 15, 2019 9:12 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 474May 16, 2019 7:21 AM

And so, you wonder why Equinox charges so much? -Recommended Reviews for Equinox Greenwich Avenue

5/17/2019 Updated review

7 months ago, when I complained about the new harsh, overly bright LED lighting, Gregory Kershaw - General Manager said, "We're currently in the first phase of the installation, then the team will walk the club and review dimming capability to ensure the correct balance is struck for space lighting". The first problem with that reply is that LED lighting cannot be dimmed, unless electrical switches are also replaced. After 7 months, I went back to see if the "lighting adjustment" actually happened. Gregory lied. The only change was that the new harsh lighting had also been installed everywhere ... lobby, locker rooms ... everywhere. The club already looked dated before the new lights, but at least it had a nice balanced designer look (from the 90s). With the new LED lights all interior design has now been wiped out. The lights are so bright, the club now looks trashy, worn out and a relic of the last century. Some new equipment has been added, but without any thought about placement or workout areas. New equipment just dumped into any random area. The second floor has all equipment now crammed into one corner so tightly you are practically touching anybody working out nearby. The entire experience is gross. On a Sunday afternoon the club was surprisingly packed. Why do people pay $225 per month for this experience? The only reason the lighting was changed is so management can squeeze more profit out of your outrageously expensive monthly dues. You can join Crunch for $95 per month, with space to work out and good lighting. Or, the brand new David Barton luxury gym in the Village for less than $200 per month. Read all the negative reviews about Equinox Greenwich. There is not one decent response from management. They no longer care about the Equinox brand or the customer. It's sad really. The decline of the brand is real and obviously management is just trying to milk it for cash while they still can.

9/20/2018 Previous review

I liked working out here 4-years ago when I moved to NYC. This location is definitely a has-been premium brand in decline. Within the past 2 weeks all the lighting has been replaced with hard, white-hot fluorescent lights like you would find in a Wal-mart. It's horrible! Several times recently, way before closing, the surly floor managers turn off all the TVs in the cardio area to make members leave early, so the floor managers can go home. But, make no mistake, your $220/month dues go up every year. It's no longer worth the price. The value is gone. I'll be terminating my membership next week.

by Anonymousreply 475May 20, 2019 5:16 PM

[quote]On another note, I went to the Greenwich St location (for those unfamiliar it's Chelsea--gay) and honey.... I had my feelings hurt! Those gurls over there!

I went to the Greenwich St location again this past Sunday. I got there about 10:30 AM and WOWEE! the gym was PACKED! I could still do whatever I wanted to do without a wait but I was surprised by how crowded the gym was and at such an early hour. Also, (and this made me chuckle), it seemed like the only exercise that everyone was doing were various forms of squats.

by Anonymousreply 476May 22, 2019 12:13 PM

Is anyone using the EQX ONE training app? It's a virtual personal trainer for $75/month extra the first month & $150/month thereafter. I use EQX 5-6 days a week so the gym itself is worth the cost for me and I like nice gyms. This new digital add on seems interesting, they give you an Apple watch to use to keep track of your results. I like the classes but can't always make them and I think I could get better results with more custom individual work outs. I thought I might give the intro month a try, but wanted to see if anyone else has used it. It seems pretty new. It bumps the price up to almost $400/month, but I am relatively boring and the gym is a big part of my life. That's a night out for drinks.

by Anonymousreply 477May 26, 2019 6:17 PM

[quote]It's a virtual personal trainer for $75/month extra the first month & $150/month thereafter.

Holy fuck!

by Anonymousreply 478May 26, 2019 6:29 PM

They need to limit the number of members, especially at the premium locations. It's getting out of hand.

by Anonymousreply 479May 26, 2019 6:32 PM

R479 - truth! I really hate waiting in line for showers - that's my one big complaint especially for an EQ Sports Club. I was thinking this app would be good b/c I won't be so reliant on classes which are at the peak hours.

by Anonymousreply 480May 26, 2019 6:55 PM

I must be doing something wrong. I thought I did okay and made a good salary and living but apparently there are many who have no issues with paying upwards to $400/month for a gym!

[quote]They need to limit the number of members, especially at the premium locations. It's getting out of hand.

Wow... Does anyone here have corporate sponsorship? Does the gym give a membership cost break to corporations? Does anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 481May 26, 2019 7:13 PM

They do give corporate memberships, but I think they are trying to curb them due to the overcrowding. The gym is expensive but then I am not a huge foodie who loves really expensive meals out multiple times a week. Everyone has those things they are willing to pay a bit extra for,

by Anonymousreply 482May 26, 2019 7:26 PM

I visited the 19th & Broadway location (NYC) and I have worked out there a few years ago. Since then, the gym has remodeled the locker room. Now, THAT was VERY nice!!!!

[quote]but then I am not a huge foodie who loves really expensive meals out multiple times a week.

Don't hate. ; )

by Anonymousreply 483May 26, 2019 7:38 PM

Just an FYI - Membership contracts signed many years ago probably have harsher cancellation penalties than more recent contracts. Plus, terms of a contract should not be a surprise since you agreed to them.

by Anonymousreply 484May 31, 2019 5:58 PM

What penalties would a contract signed years ago have? I doubt any membership in the past 10 years had a contract that extended beyond a year. Even if it did, no doubt that time would have passed by now.

by Anonymousreply 485May 31, 2019 8:53 PM

Someone up-thread said he quit after being a member for a few years and was hit with penalties. That's what I was referring to.

by Anonymousreply 486June 1, 2019 6:06 PM

R486, that looks like it was from a review posted on Yelp or something. It still doesn't make sense to me as I don't think they can impose a cancellation fee for services beyond the initial term of your membership (which is most likely 1 year). Maybe I'll see if I can find my contract and see what it says.

by Anonymousreply 487June 1, 2019 6:53 PM

Well, I was at DC PRIDE this past weekend and visited the Equinox Sports Club Washington, D.C. Apparently that's a "destination location". That's just ridiculous! While I was allowed to work out there for free I was told that if I wanted to work out there another day it would be a $35 day rate. I really couldn't tell you what's so great about it. Sure, it had a basketball court, pool, and is located right next to a Ritz Carlton, but the facility is old and looks it. It's tired looking. However, I guess there is "something" luxury about it since I saw a locker room attendant carry a silver (real silver) bucket of ice into the Executive Locker Room which appeared rather large from what I could see. You could only access that area via a code.

Not a very good looking membership crowd from what I could see while I was there and in my opinion. But, the male Personal Trainers were SMOKING HOT!!! Maybe because this location is part of Dupont Circle and that's gay DC. And, these trainers were doing nothing but squats--even while training their client, especially my Black male chirren! These boys were built like a brick house and all of them were just a squatting away! Particularly this one brother, (think Odell Beckham Jr.), who was clearly touched by the spirit because either he had a flashback or he was excited in anticipation because he had such a smile on his face as he stared into nowhere. Just concentrating...

Up... Down...

Up... Down...

Up... Down...

by Anonymousreply 488June 10, 2019 10:32 AM

R488 the perks are the steam room and sauna and showers... all of which have a lot of action. And there are a lot of hot guys that work out there and indulge. You just have to go at the right times.

by Anonymousreply 489June 10, 2019 2:41 PM

[quote][R488] the perks are the steam room and sauna and showers...

Well, the space is very large. It's probably the largest Equinox locker room that I have ever been in. In my opinion, it still is not worth the $230 (what I pay)-$250/month. Plus, since this is a "Destination Location" you're paying even more. I'm not even going to inquire about the Executive whatever pricing. But, not for nothing... the gym is getting their prices. Individuals are paying.

Now, I have to admit that at this particular location I felt an attitude of status. I was there this past Sunday from 10:30AM-1:00PM. The gym had a rather larger crowd. I found this comment about that particular gym but I suppose it could apply to all of them;

"Not really understanding the negative reviews. Sports Club DC is amazing, and I highly recommend for the following reasons:

1. The classes and instructors are phenomenal. Do yourself a favor and take Kaitlyn's spin class. She is one of the best spin instructors I've ever taken with.

2. Eucalyptus towels.

3. The locker rooms are clean, staffed, and have a full array of kiehls products.

4. There is a dry cleaner in the gym, and the cafe has pretty decent food.

5. The membership socials are great. It's always a fun surprise to get out of class to find wine and snacks in the lobby.

6. Conveniently located in West End. Within a 10 minute walk from Dupont Metro and Foggy Bottom Metro.

I understand some people believe the staff to be pushy about training services and membership or otherwise non responsive. I did not receive negative feedback when I said I was not interested in personal training, nor have I had a problem having my questions answered. The staff is friendly and always willing to help.

I was a member at the DC location for about a year before moving to TX. Left Equinox for my first year in TX to try some cheaper boutique studios and it was a terrible mistake. I returned to EQX this summer and do not plan to leave."

by Anonymousreply 490June 10, 2019 4:22 PM

This is the main room of the DC gym. I don't think that it is very luxurious but that's my taste. The basketball court is on the left side. The second floor has more cardio, weight machines, and weights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491June 10, 2019 4:26 PM

R490 yeah, if you were there on a Sunday, it might explain why, I think you mentioned, you didn't see much going on. If you're there during the week, you'll see a ton of Politicians and their aids and other types gathered and relieving stress. Attractive ones, I should add.

by Anonymousreply 492June 10, 2019 5:05 PM

[quote]I want to go in and in 12 weeks I want to come out as "300" or "Spartacus".

Well, we all want a lot of things, hon.

You're never going to get Spartan from fat or nothing in 12 weeks, even if you ARE on steroids. And I assume you want to start juicing. You know the actors in 300 and other heroic epics pretty much all do steroids for those roles, right?

by Anonymousreply 493June 10, 2019 6:39 PM

That's very true,R493. BUT, people would be quite SURPRISED what results that one can achieve in 12 weeks! At minimum, 3 times a week, cardio, weights, and watching your diet, the results can be phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 494June 10, 2019 6:55 PM

Still a Yes from me. Great workouts, great eye candy, and relaxing/fun showers and steam.

by Anonymousreply 495June 16, 2019 1:45 AM

If you’re going to workout then no. It uses the same equipment it’s little brother Blink uses.

by Anonymousreply 496June 16, 2019 2:21 AM

[quote]Still a Yes from me. Great workouts, great eye candy, and relaxing/fun showers and steam.

$3K/year for that? Well, if you can afford it then why not?

by Anonymousreply 497June 16, 2019 4:36 AM

The EQUINOX hotel. Opening next week in NYC. Congratulations! This is what your outrageous dues paid for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498June 18, 2019 11:49 AM

$700/night?????

INSANITY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499June 18, 2019 3:27 PM

EQUINOX will make sure that it gets its money! The gym will run a billing cycle on an early Sunday morning (and, here I thought no financial transactions could take place on a Sunday) to get that money. Also, everything is done via email--and you have no idea of what they're talking about! I had a billing issue and I tried calling the toll free number that they provided only to hear the following; "We're sorry. There are too many incoming calls. Please try again later. This call will be disconnected."

Now, either the gym has an antiquated phone system or there are A LOT of people calling about billing and membership!

by Anonymousreply 500June 25, 2019 4:45 PM

Why would no financial transactions take place on a Sunday morning? Everything is electronic - it's not like someone has to physically go to a bank to make the transaction - and there is less network traffic on weekends. However, if you tried calling on a Sunday to speak with a person in the Billing dept, there's likely to be fewer people working in that office on a Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 501June 25, 2019 9:11 PM

[quote]Why would no financial transactions take place on a Sunday morning?

Because I'm over 40 and still living in a time/era of how things used to be done... WOW! There are machines that even spit money out now...

by Anonymousreply 502June 25, 2019 9:13 PM

Wait a sec, r501.

Are you telling me when you wire money to someone, it doesn’t actually get sent over a wire?

Whuuuuuuut? Mind blown.

by Anonymousreply 503June 25, 2019 9:15 PM

So, for the second time, (since being a LONG time member of EQUINOX), I took advantage of my once a year EQUIFIT and complementary training session. Yes, I know it's pretty much a sales pitch. But, I'm older, more experienced, and can really take advantage and make use of it.

The trainer assigned to me is very good. He was quick to understand my objectives and went right for it. I'm generally a weight lifting type of guy but we did not plunge into weights (I actually had 2 free sessions come to think about it--the kid is trying to build his clientele) and we started with an informal chat to see if there was chemistry. There was. He gave a lot of good information that I absorbed and then put me on some machine that calculated my muscle versus fat stats. I liked that because I can use it as a reference on my own. We then did a lot of body weight exercises which I figured that he was trying to assess my endurance and he was surprised by that given my age. What he assumed it would be I was FAR, much more advanced. I picked up that he would be excited to work with me. It was a good workout. Then we scheduled another workout and did another intensive hour.

Anyway, the guy was evasive about costs. He can't sell. But, finally I got it out of him and I now present it to you;

"If you have the equinox app all the costs and purchase options for teir 3 trainers is there and it’s what you’d be going through...

No rush, I commit to clients on a long term basis. I’m still building a client base so I’m really just choosy on schedule time of day at equinox at this point 7-10am M-F ;). You would schedule through me regardless so if you want me to plan to hold a spot for you just tell me

Training packages are priced as follows;

1 session: 130$

6 sessions: 750$ (125$/)

12 sessions: 1440$ (120$/)

24 sessions: 2760$ (115$/)

48 sessions: 5280$ (110$/)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504July 3, 2019 12:59 AM

And, this was his program rec;

I think we should start with a 2 or 3 day per week routine. I’ll focus on stuff that’s not so fun and make sure you have plenty of fun stuff to do on your own.

If you get better shoes and pants, and follow a 5-6x per week workout regimen you should be able to cut fat and stabilize you movement patterns by October, 3 months. Given you eat well.

by Anonymousreply 505July 3, 2019 1:01 AM

That sounds like a solid plan, R504. If that meets your needs, why not go for it?

by Anonymousreply 506July 3, 2019 4:23 AM

I'm not sure why you said that he was evasive about costs. The PT rate cards are always at the front desk for anyone to take. Sounds like he might be nervous about Eq's rates; if he's new to Eq, they might be higher than he's used to quoting and fearful of turning people off.

by Anonymousreply 507July 3, 2019 4:27 AM

I’ll bet you they got where the $ symbol goes correct.

by Anonymousreply 508July 3, 2019 11:46 AM

[quote]I'm not sure why you said that he was evasive about costs. The PT rate cards are always at the front desk for anyone to take.

Not at my location. It has nearly gone completely paperless. Everything is being done through the EQUINOX app

[quote]Sounds like he might be nervous about Eq's rates;

I think that he was because I had to ask him about that. He's not going to do well being afraid to ask for the order!

by Anonymousreply 509July 3, 2019 11:55 AM

[quote]That sounds like a solid plan, [R504]. If that meets your needs, why not go for it?

Oh, I probably will for maybe 12 sessions. Once again I'm older and much more mature so I can really take advantage of and fully appreciate all that we will do. But, what I'm really trying to do is REALLY take advantage of all that EQUINOX supposedly offers before I leave. It's just too expensive and I'm being priced out.

by Anonymousreply 510July 3, 2019 12:02 PM

I was told by a VERY good source that the Equinox hotel opening was a DISASTER! There are only 30 rooms that have been fully completed ($700/night) and not many people showed up for the opening night party.

by Anonymousreply 511July 20, 2019 12:58 AM

Why the hell would Equinox think they could open a hotel. What amazing amenities are they offering for $700/night?

by Anonymousreply 512July 22, 2019 1:30 PM

There's an article in the NYT's about it, R512. But, it's behind a pay wall and I don't have access.

by Anonymousreply 513July 22, 2019 2:05 PM

I didn't realize that Equinox also owns SoulCycle.

You should see how surprised I am.

by Anonymousreply 514July 22, 2019 2:07 PM

MMPH... I can tell from the photo. The materials used are those that photograph well but look cheap in reality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515July 22, 2019 2:09 PM

I'm reading the Times article now.

[quote]There will be a nurse to administer restorative IV drips on demand to help guests who have overindulged rehydrate and re-energize in the spa or in their rooms.

Jesus Fucking Christ. The Revolution can't come soon enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516July 22, 2019 2:09 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517July 22, 2019 2:13 PM

[quote]The furniture store West Elm is opening its first hotel next year and competing furniture brand RH, formerly known as Restoration Hardware, is opening RH Guesthouse in New York later this year.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

by Anonymousreply 518July 22, 2019 2:23 PM

Equinox is not worth the price. The guys on here only say it is because they wanna sound “upper class”.

I’ve known people that are struggling financially that still go there just for the “status”.

by Anonymousreply 519July 22, 2019 2:26 PM

Wrong, R519. I go to Eq and I couldI not care less about sounding upper class. For me, it's worth the cost and other places aren't. Do I wish it cost less? Absolutely, but I'm willing to pay given the available alternatives locally.

by Anonymousreply 520July 23, 2019 4:57 AM

R519 I agree. There are a ton of members (mostly men but also women) that will do anything to maintain that damn gym membership!

Hell, they eat only 3xs a week, sacrificing $10+ for a smoothie at EarthBar (or the equivalent they have in NYC, etc.)...which isn't a meal.

by Anonymousreply 521July 23, 2019 9:27 AM

R521 exactly. And Equinox isn’t all that. It uses the same exact equipment as Blink.

by Anonymousreply 522July 23, 2019 12:48 PM

This explains a lot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523July 23, 2019 1:28 PM

And of course they opened in NYC because they know this is the only place people will come and be willing to pay those ridiculous prices. Ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 524July 23, 2019 2:30 PM

You cheap guys with low standards please stay in your low rent gyms while I continue to work out with fitness models and tight, muscled tech bros.

by Anonymousreply 525July 23, 2019 5:00 PM

[quote]work out with fitness models and tight, muscled tech bros.

Where? And, at what location? We covered this issue at like to 200 or 300 mark posting.

by Anonymousreply 526July 23, 2019 5:48 PM

Yeah. I’ve been to Equinox and the guys there were no hotter than the ones you see at Blink.

Keep pretending bro.

by Anonymousreply 527July 23, 2019 7:30 PM

SF resident here. In my trips to NYC I've seen most gyms there suffer from the same problems as gyms here 1) small urban spaces (they all feel claustrophobic) and 2) heavy volume (it's hard to keep them well maintained). Crunch and NYSC did strike me as gross. I suppose if you are doing comfortably/well in Manhattan, Equinox would be a solution to avoid this.

However, I wouldn't pay for the same gym if you plopped it down here in SF. The workout equipment and facilities do seem overrated and common.

I would pay for an Equinox membership if I were in LA however. Gyms are everything there. They tend to be bigger, social, and teeming with beautiful people. NYC does have more attractive men in SF though, but I'm unsure working out in their presence justifies the high membership fees.

by Anonymousreply 528July 23, 2019 7:58 PM

LA has the hottest men in gyms.

by Anonymousreply 529July 23, 2019 8:07 PM

[quote]You cheap guys with low standards please stay in your low rent gyms while I continue to work out with fitness models and tight, muscled tech bros.

You can pay for that, if it's your thing. They're still not going to fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 530July 23, 2019 8:20 PM

MMPH... clearly a fantasy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531July 30, 2019 8:29 PM

That looks like an Equinox to me.

by Anonymousreply 532July 31, 2019 2:46 AM

And to answer OP’s question: yes, a membership is worth it if you get a corporate discount (like myself!)

by Anonymousreply 533July 31, 2019 3:16 AM

R532 was the Equinox t-shirt a big clue to you?

by Anonymousreply 534August 5, 2019 1:00 PM

R3 kind of nailed it and much of the rest of the thread is a meditation of sorts on the odd relationship so many gay men have with exercise and gyms.

Equinox is one of the nicer globo gyms in NYC in that most locations are kept clean, the equipment is replaced when it starts to show signs of wear and the locker rooms are well-equipped and also very clean.

Beyond that? Ridiculous machines ("common" or otherwise) don't make you stronger or give you a better workout. Classes can be social and if you're into spinning or yoga, Equinox probably has both and if you actually go to them regularly it's a good deal. But if that's all you do then SoulCycle or a yoga studio is probably a better move as the instruction will be better and they're definitely way more social.

If you need to shower and change at the gym, and you do so several times a week, the locker rooms alone are probably worth the upgrade from a NYSC.

But don't fool yourself into thinking an expensive gym is going to make you more fit or more inclined to work out. That has to come from within.

by Anonymousreply 535August 5, 2019 1:26 PM

R535 is right. Motivation has to come from within. So if you prefer a relatively clean, educated, safe environment, choose one that meets those requirements and you'll be more likely to see that the cost is worth it. Go somewhere that doesn't meet your needs, and you'll be wasting your money.

by Anonymousreply 536August 5, 2019 7:15 PM

Any Century City people here?

by Anonymousreply 537August 6, 2019 4:19 AM

R537 I'm assuming you mean the current location and not the older one that shut down in 2016?

by Anonymousreply 538August 6, 2019 8:35 AM

Yes, r538. Where do you go now? The new Century City is pretty quiet outside of after work hours. Lots of cute CAA etc. guys.

by Anonymousreply 539August 6, 2019 2:00 PM

Yes, R537, and I know that there are a couple of more bitches from DL that work out there as I've seen some of you checking DL on the floor!

by Anonymousreply 540August 7, 2019 1:05 PM

I travel to American cities for work and find good gyms are everywhere. But gyms that have fun in the steam room are harder to find -- I find these maybe only a couple of times a year. I admit that I am thinking about having sex in the steam room while I am working out, because for me it's a thrill to be with a couple of hot guys, even if it's just for playing. When I find a location that offers that, I am reluctant to tell anyone in an online forum about it, because you don't want a hot scene to be overrun with trolls.

Yes, I'm an introvert who would rather get off with a stranger in the steam room than go through all the nonsense of finding a guy on a dating app and having a disappointing hookup -- the steam room is faster and more satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 541August 7, 2019 1:38 PM

I love how people like r541 refer to anyone doing the exact same thing they’re doing as “trolls” if they don’t fit into his appearance requirements.

by Anonymousreply 542August 7, 2019 1:56 PM

R542 to be fair to R541, trolls aren't necessarily trolls because of how they look.

I define a troll as someone who is too persistent, doesn't take the cues that no one is interested, stays in the steam for hours at a time, isn't discreet, etc. I've run across many a guy I'd deem hot as trolls.

For instance, one location I go to, there's a guy in his mid-twenties, in great shape, good looking, however he will sit in the steam and just start jerking off in front of anyone that happens to be in there with them. He doesn't seem to care if they're obviously not interested. He's just desperate to initiate something with anyone and doesn't seem to understand discretion or boundaries. I don't know if he's mentally ill or what, but I'd call him a troll.

Another location I go to. Decent looking, middle aged guy who like the guy I just mentioned, has no sense of discretion. He will literally walk up to you if he finds you attractive and try to grab your dick. This is not a location where a lot of sex goes on. It got to the point where there must have been complaints about him and management takes note of when he's around and literally will stand outside of the steam the entire time, and open the door every five minutes to "check to see if everything is okay." So it's not his looks that make him a troll, it's what he's doing that makes him one.

by Anonymousreply 543August 7, 2019 2:03 PM

R540, there's a guy who wears silver Bose headphones, keeps to himself, toned, around 6' with short dirty blond hair. He has his dark blue Adidas gym bag with him all the time. He uses a workout notebook. Have you noticed him?

by Anonymousreply 544August 7, 2019 2:19 PM

R544 what time of day and what does his dick look like?

by Anonymousreply 545August 7, 2019 2:31 PM

R544, on weekdays, around 6 pm. Weekends, around 11 pm or near closing. Haven't seen him nude yet except through the shower doors. Very pale ass, perfectly toned.

I take it that you haven't noticed him. He uses his own brown leather lifting belt.

by Anonymousreply 546August 7, 2019 2:40 PM

R546 was for R545.

by Anonymousreply 547August 7, 2019 2:41 PM

Go Inside the World's First Equinox Hotel

AD gets an exclusive tour of the cult fitness chain's sleek new outpost at NYC's Hudson Yards—and wellness travel may never be the same

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548August 7, 2019 2:43 PM

R546, yeah, no. Not my regular hours there.

by Anonymousreply 549August 7, 2019 2:44 PM

What about the very tall Dutch guy? Straight, quite the specimen. I miss the two very attractive staff/greeters: the Texan blond with longish hair, and the generically handsome one with dirty blond hair.

by Anonymousreply 550August 7, 2019 2:48 PM

Developer Stephen Ross, of The Related Companies, (which developed Hudson Yards and owns @Equinox and @soulcycle) is hosting a fundraiser for President Trump in The Hamptons. $250,000 for lunch, a photo and a private roundtable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551August 7, 2019 5:03 PM

For those of us who cannot access R551's article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552August 7, 2019 5:27 PM

To me, a troll is anyone who is shutting down the action, and for any reason -- not necessarily their appearance. I was at a Crunch gym a few months ago and there were at least five hot guys in the steam room and it was obvious that they were interested in stroking cocks together. There was also one guy who was not bad looking, but his behavior was odd. He wasn't interested in playing, but he was still interested enough to stick around and insert his presence wherever action could possibly be starting. He could have left after ten minutes, but he was there for quite a while. That's a troll.

by Anonymousreply 553August 7, 2019 5:36 PM

I worked out at all 34 Equinox locations in New York City. Here's how they all compare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 554August 7, 2019 6:14 PM

Boycott Equinox and Soulcycle for supporting Trump! I worked for Equinox ~ it was a horror! I remember trying to get a job with Equinox for seven years finally I landed an interview I thought I hit the lottery! I was so happy. Then I got to work for them and they pay no money at all. I went into a hole and was broke. After five months I had no choice but to quit. And became an independent contractor. Their campaigns are beautiful but Do not give you a clue of what it’s like to work for them. Again, it was a horror.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555August 7, 2019 6:21 PM

FYI:

EQUINOX has just issued a statement

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556August 7, 2019 8:18 PM

R555 Were you a trainer?

by Anonymousreply 557August 7, 2019 11:06 PM

Sry Equinox, r556, that sounds like a PR copout. Our money still goes into that bigot's pocket. I am quite sure he is not as passive in management as indicated. #boycottequinox.

by Anonymousreply 558August 7, 2019 11:19 PM

Doing work at work! @EQUINOX Babe - it's not just fitness....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559August 7, 2019 11:40 PM

Boycott equinox and soul cycle - fuck their trump supporting owner.

by Anonymousreply 560August 7, 2019 11:50 PM

[quote]Boycott equinox and soul cycle - fuck their trump supporting owner.

How would you boycott? Wouldn't the gym institute its 45 day notice policy? From what I have read it is NOT easy to get out of EQUINOX.

by Anonymousreply 561August 7, 2019 11:58 PM

Just send in your termination paperwork & don't renew.

by Anonymousreply 562August 8, 2019 12:00 AM

So, how do you cancel an event that is scheduled for this Friday? I'm beginning to think that EQUINOX itself dropped this news because they knew of the uproar it would cause and by leaking it at this late of date would not open the door for any type of interference.

People are upset. Okay... It will all pass after one or two days. I don't think that the gym will lose many members at all.

From the NY Post (article in the link is CNN)

Billionaire boss of Equinox, SoulCycle blasted for hosting Trump fundraiser

The billionaire behind Equinox and SoulCycle — playgrounds for New York’s liberal elite — is a major President Trump supporter who is throwing him a Hamptons fundraiser this Friday.

News of Stephen Ross’ pro-Trump leanings led to a furious reaction Wednesday from left-leaning lovers of the popular clubs — and caused the company to be inundated with canceled memberships, a source told Page Six.

Ross is the chairman of Related Companies, which is the parent company of both Equinox and Soul Cycle. Tickets for his Trump fundraiser event range from $5,600 to $250,000 according to the Washington Post.

Attendees who pay top dollar will get a lunch, a photo and private roundtable conversation with Trump.

Both Soul Cycle and Equinox, however, have developed a customer base filled with the kind of young urban professionals who are not usually counted among Trump’s base.

Equinox, for instance, has recently been lauded for its support of causes such as the “Life’s a Ball” pride campaign, which in June honored the transgender community.

Activist and actor Wilson Cruz launched a Change.org campaign and wrote, “We joined this gym because we believed it shared our values. We believed it was a safe space for people like us.”

He added: “There is no way that we as a community can continue to support this business if you are actively supporting an administration that puts us in danger and works towards treating us like second class citizens, and worse yet, subhuman.”

In a statement, Ross said he said he has always been an “active participant in the democratic process.”

“I have known Donald Trump for 40 years,” Ross added. “…and while we agree on some issues, we strongly disagree on many others and I have never been bashful about expressing my opinions.”

Equinox just opened a luxury hotel at the flashy new Hudson Yards complex on the West Side.

Equinox and SoulCycle said in a statement, “Neither Equinox nor SoulCycle have anything to do with the event later this week and do not support it. As is consistent with our policies, no company profits are used to fund politicians. We are committed to all our members and communities we live in. We believe in tolerance and equality, and will always stay true to those values. Mr. Ross is a passive investor and is not involved in the management of either business.”

Meanwhile, critics also appeared to have gotten to the Wikipedia page for Ross, who also owns the Miami Dolphins.

His bio on the site briefly read, “Stephen M. Ross (born May 10, 1940) is an American real estate developer, right wing person of very low intelligence, pretend philanthropist (because giving money to right wing causes does not count as charity) and sports team owner.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563August 8, 2019 12:29 AM

Miami Dolphins wide receiver Kenny Stills criticized his boss, Stephen Ross, who owns the team, for hosting a re-election fund-raiser for President Trump

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564August 8, 2019 12:29 AM

[quote]In a statement, Ross said he said he has always been an “active participant in the democratic process.” “I have known Donald Trump for 40 years,” Ross added. “…and while we agree on some issues, we strongly disagree on many others and I have never been bashful about expressing my opinions.”

So, go "F" yourselves.....

Uh-huh....

by Anonymousreply 565August 8, 2019 12:34 AM

Here's a guide:

Matt Singley @mattsingley ·

I have been a member of @Equinox for years. I have just sent in my request to cancel because the Chairman is hosting a fundraiser for Tr*mp. I would assume they share ideologies.

We can't just tweet our anger, we have to make change with our votes AND our spending habits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566August 8, 2019 12:39 AM

The response to him:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567August 8, 2019 12:41 AM

So damn fucking hysterical. I am not cancelling my membership over the owners support of trump. Equinox won't lose that much membership because not everyone is a lefty radical.

by Anonymousreply 568August 8, 2019 12:47 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569August 8, 2019 1:28 AM

Well, Melanie, it appears you don't know how profits from businesses work or how investors, passive or active, are remunerated for their money.

Your company profits DO go to support Mr. Ross and his political agenda.

I suppose it is this fundamental lack of understanding how businesses operate that required additional investors in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 570August 8, 2019 1:39 AM

Someone should have also started a trend to band together and drop Equinox unless they reduced their rates and stopped upping the charges every year.

by Anonymousreply 571August 8, 2019 1:48 AM

One gets the impression that Equinox memberships are about to be discounted heavily.

by Anonymousreply 572August 8, 2019 2:07 AM

Well, I want to know who is attending the luncheon. That's more important to me than the actual luncheon itself--except what is being served.

by Anonymousreply 573August 8, 2019 2:11 AM

NYSC (which I will forever read as "NSYNC") has already started running ads promoting the fact that they are GOP-donor free.

This is getting major play in the media, or so Google indicates

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574August 8, 2019 2:14 AM

The Stephen Ross statement;

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575August 8, 2019 2:15 AM

Ross needs better PR people.

That's not "participating", that's giving money to.

People who choose not to give money to Trump are in no way "sitting outside the process and criticizing" they are giving money to a candidate who is not a racist.

Even Helen Keller should be able to see through Ross's bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 576August 8, 2019 2:18 AM

And my NYSC is getting new equipment tomorrow. Wheee!

by Anonymousreply 577August 8, 2019 2:22 AM

[quote]The Southampton fund-raiser for President Trump’s 2020 reelection campaign will charge up to $250,000 a head, according to The Washington Post, with tickets starting at $100,000 for a photo opportunity and lunch, and the higher price including a roundtable discussion. Ross will host with his wife, jewelry designer Kara Ross. The money goes to a fund-raising committee named Trump Victory, which doubles as a funding mechanism for the Republican National Committee, according to the newspaper.

[quote]Reported confirmed guests include Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner and Donald Trump Jr. with his girlfriend, Kim Guilfoyle. Also slated to attend will be Sen. Linsdey Graham (R-S.C.) and Rep. Lee Zeldin (R-N.Y.).

[quote]Afterward, guests will repair to the Bridgehampton estate of yet another real estate developer, Joe Farrell, where a general reception tickets will run donors $5,600 per couple, with an $11,200 price tag for a VIP reception and a total of $35,000 to include a photo opportunity, The Washington Post reported.

by Anonymousreply 578August 8, 2019 2:27 AM

Someone tell me if they offer a reduced rate by threat of cancellation.

by Anonymousreply 579August 8, 2019 2:27 AM

HA! So, that's why I have been receiving so many tweets, emails, and FB messages, from NYSC and Crunch ALL day today, R574!

This anger appears to be growing some legs. But, I ask again; The luncheon is this Friday. What can be done? I would be SHOCKED if EQUINOX offered a reduced rate--maybe for new members to join, but compensation to existing members? Nuh-Uh...

by Anonymousreply 580August 8, 2019 2:36 AM

Maybe they'll give a promo rate when people call and cancel. Like, don't cancel, get 50% for six months.

You know, like AOL used to do.

by Anonymousreply 581August 8, 2019 2:38 AM

[quote]Maybe they'll give a promo rate when people call and cancel. Like, don't cancel, get 50% for six months.

LOL! Bartender! Cut this guy off! He's had enough!

by Anonymousreply 582August 8, 2019 2:42 AM

David von Storch, the openly gay owner of the VIDA gym chain in DC, is probably thrilled that this news leaked.

by Anonymousreply 583August 8, 2019 2:54 AM

nysc

Come workout with us for free on Friday. No donations needed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584August 8, 2019 10:24 AM

It will be interesting to see how this plays out long term

OTOH, Equinox is getting a massive amount of bad PR off of this and it's likely to stick around unless Ross cuts back his support of Trump

OTOH, Equinox really has no competition in the high-end globo gym market--no one else has as many locations and a similar rep, at least not in major markets.

by Anonymousreply 585August 8, 2019 10:50 AM

Yes, please. These equinox bitches keep trumping my rate for no reason while the equiments are never upgraded nor fixed.

by Anonymousreply 586August 8, 2019 10:50 AM

I called my Equinox branch this am to complain and the guy sounded annoyed about having to take down my complaint. Any other way people have found to express their disgust to Eq’s owner?

by Anonymousreply 587August 8, 2019 10:53 AM

"Morning Joe" is running the story now. Below, are some comments from the petition which currently has over 2,500 signatures

-Financially supporting a racist? I cannot in good conscious EVER spend a dime supporting this company.

-As a long time member of Equinox I can't see how I continue there as their owner is not only supporting Donald Trump, but soliciting donations of up to $250,000 per person to keep this homophobe and racist in office.

-This is the time —If one has not already—to draw the line in the sand.

-I do not condone hatred of anyone. Donald Trump is a racist , xenophobic , homophobic , demeans women and is a dangerous sociopath. You should remove your support of him immediately

-Was looking at joining Equinox in D.C. Will look elsewhere--plenty of choices.

-I’m an openly gay man who’s worked out at Equinox in Los Angeles for the past two years. I’m absolutely appalled that my hard-earned dollars are lining the pockets of people who would deny Americans such as myself, and many others, basic human rights. Money talks and these monsters won’t get another penny from me.

-I don’t support racism and racists. If you maintain membership at this racist RELATED COMPANY venue you are an enabler or racism at BEST. Shame on you. Especially gay men. How dare you?

-Why should you be fit at Equinox when their owner supports a person who is so unfit for the office which he occupies.

-Any support of this administration is down right treasonous to America and American values. period.

-I’ve been a member for 12 years, but this disgusts and infuriates me

-Donald Trump is taking gay rights away. He has finalized a plan to make it so healthcare providers can deny critical treatment to LGBT people. Do not support him please.

-I've always felt there was no justification for charging as much as Equinox does (AC not cold enough, machines and equipment broken for weeks, warped floor tiles are tripping hazard, ...etc.) Now it's become clear why. Mr. Ross supports Trump ...so they can continue being greedy, lying crooks to the American people!

by Anonymousreply 588August 8, 2019 11:00 AM

I did, R587. My location has been getting A LOT of calls and cancellations.

by Anonymousreply 589August 8, 2019 11:02 AM

[quote]Someone tell me if they offer a reduced rate by threat of cancellation.

For those who want to take a stand!

But, ya know, not really have to inconvenience themselves to do it.

by Anonymousreply 590August 8, 2019 11:37 AM

LA Fitness or bust

by Anonymousreply 591August 8, 2019 12:32 PM

Oh, man....

The shit has gotten real:

Dan Rather @DanRather

So Stephen Ross, the owner of SoulCycle, the Miami Dolphins, and Equinox Fitness is hosting a big fundraiser for Trump. Many of his customers aren't happy. People can't vote out the president at the ballot box until next November. Will they vote with their pocketbooks sooner?

by Anonymousreply 592August 8, 2019 12:41 PM

SoulCycles, at least in NYC, are particularly gay. It's like 80% JAPpy women and gays. I wonder if this will hit them harder as I'm thinking it's easier to cancel and there are a number of fairly similar outlets.

by Anonymousreply 593August 8, 2019 2:39 PM

So have any of you cancelled?

Well?

by Anonymousreply 594August 8, 2019 2:59 PM

Okay... I haven't cancelled...yet. But, I have signed a petition, written a letter of complaint to senior management, called headquarters to vocally complain, and registered a complaint at the front desk as I headed into the locker room to change for my workout...

I suffer from separation anxiety

by Anonymousreply 595August 8, 2019 3:04 PM

Mika Brzenzinki, of all people, was talking about canceling her SoulCycle membership this morning.

I mean, it would have been better if she'd had these thoughts before cheerleading from Trump, but better late than never.

by Anonymousreply 596August 8, 2019 3:27 PM

Has anyone actually quit Equinox in NYC as a result of this and if so, what gym are you joining? I’m an all access Eq member and regularly use 4 or 5 branches to work out and take spin classes.

I would LOVE to quit Eq but I’m struggling to find an alternative. .

by Anonymousreply 597August 8, 2019 3:27 PM

Somebody on Twitter suggested the fastest way out of your contract would be getting caught in the steamroom.

by Anonymousreply 598August 8, 2019 3:28 PM

Fuck Trump supporting Equinox.

by Anonymousreply 599August 8, 2019 3:33 PM

Is a membership to Equinox worth the cost? Part Two

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600August 8, 2019 4:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!