Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why arent we talking about HBO's Insecure more?

Its like the anti-girls. Its funny, well written, has an amazing soundtrack plus it has lots of male nudity. Like lots of gorgeous black men

by Anonymousreply 205June 18, 2020 3:14 PM

I really loved the first season and am looking forward to watching the second season premiere later tonight. Issa Rae is a very funny and charismatic lead.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2017 4:25 AM

Because it's boring.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2017 4:26 AM

Season 2 started with a bang. Fucking love this show!

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2017 4:33 AM

Season 2 started? I forgot. Big fan. I need to get an HBO now subscription, which I do 2-3 months per year.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2017 4:38 AM

Happened to get sucked into the first season. The ending was so real.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2017 5:09 AM

It is making an effort, hopefully season 2 is better.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2017 5:13 AM

Huge fan of the first season, but then I binged Chewing Gum last week and now this show is ruined for me. It's just so... basic. Like Looking and Girls, but for black people. Which is perfectly fine but doesn't really get my juices flowing anymore. I guess I now prefer issues being dealt with through comedy, for some reason.

Also, I wish we had a gay show where gay men would drop the f-word around all the time like they do in this show with their version. Wouldn't that be fresh and send a clear message that we are reclaiming that word from the homophobes? I feel like it would lose its bite more and faster that way than with educating young people that it's [italic]a very bad word.[/italic] Or am I completely off the mark here?

by Anonymousreply 7July 25, 2017 12:25 AM

Chewing Gum and Looking are very different. The only thing, thematically, they have in common is their lead actress and creator is a black woman but other than that they couldnt be more different.

by Anonymousreply 8July 25, 2017 3:39 AM

R8 I meant Insecure is for black people what Looking was for gays and Girls was for white millennial girls. Seems like [italic]the[/italic] flagship show for its target audience.

I completely disagree; except for slightly more humour, I don't see that much of a difference, honestly.

by Anonymousreply 9July 25, 2017 3:39 PM

Ah, you were actually comparing Chewing Gum and Looking, not Looking and Insecure.

Oh well, I didn't need to argue that one at all, then, as I never made that comparison in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 10July 25, 2017 3:41 PM

Awesome Show. Sorry but lssa (character) spent 5 yrs supporting her boyfriend while he tried to "find himself" . She met a guy that had it together. She cheated. That ending last season was Whoa. She was wrong but she should have let him go

by Anonymousreply 11July 25, 2017 5:08 PM

Sorry, but I could only understand about half of the dialogue. Stopped trying by the second episode.

Yet another show that revolves around women being incomplete without male partners. Boring!

by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2017 5:49 PM

It and Master of None are the two best comedies on TV.

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2017 5:51 PM

[quote]Yet another show that revolves around women being incomplete without male partners. Boring!

Yeah, that aspect always bothered me with this show, but it's the easiest way to create drama. And to be fair, they did discuss wage inequality in the very first episode of the second season so I hope we'll see more of that.

Not content when she has a man and not content when she hasn't got one; I hope we get past this cycle eventually. Although the men in this show are scorching hot so... that would also be our loss in a way?

by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2017 5:57 PM

I didn't like to toxic view of homosexuality that "Insecure" depicted when that young man told his girl he had received a drunken blowjob from another dude in Season 1. These chicks are millennials. In 2017, I don't have time for homophobia in entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2017 6:00 PM

R15 You can also flip that and call it an honest portrayal of attitudes towards homosexuality in the black community.

But yeah, that didn't keep me from rolling my eyes at that scene.

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2017 6:13 PM

R15 Nah I understand but it's real & a deal breaker. As Black women it is ingrained that you"Hold a man down" all the while sometimes it's not being reciprocated

by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2017 6:18 PM

ITA with R12. I can't make out the dialogue, especially when spoken by the men. I'm not interested enough to turn on Closed Captions. Maybe more people would stick with the show if it had subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2017 6:20 PM

The secondary story about the racist headmaster and the other one about wage disparity are both so much more interesting than the relationship drama. Do these people just talk about their relationships all the time or what? I don't know any people who do that in real life. I can't stop noticing this aspect of the show after R12 pointed it out. So fucking stale and boring.

I was cracking up at Lawrence's friend acting all pussy hound when he is [italic]clearly[/italic] homosexual.

Also, the songs used for the show might sound nice but for the love of god don't [italic]ever[/italic] listen to the lyrics; I swear my IQ dropped when I caught a couple of lines on CC.

by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2017 8:54 PM

It seems in all these shows, "Insecure", "Girls", "GOT" and "Westworld", to name a few on HBO, the performers getting naked is basically the main theme.

We still live in such a fake uptight world, it seems viewers, as well as the directors, writers etc, are more interested in nudity above anything else. I read three recent reviews about "Insecure", every one of them went on and on about how "brave" the main stars were for getting naked. Ridiculous.

Sex is part of life, but anyone with a functioning brain knows that the public are still like drooling giggly kids when it comes to nudity, it's always going to be an important factor that performers to get naked on pay cable series. The public wants to see tits, ass and now cocks. Check the "American Gods" thread, nearly half the thread was an argument about the two gay characters having real erections, when their cocks turned out to be prosthetics and CGI...!!!

I prefer "Atlanta", good acting and it's serious and funny at the same time. Donald Glover deserved the accolades and awards he got for his show.

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2017 9:27 PM

I'm really enjoying the second season. I love Issa's portrayal of a self conscious black woman in a world where there's this constant stereotype of being a "strong, fierce, black caricature". She reminds me of someone I was very close friends with in college.

by Anonymousreply 21August 20, 2017 8:15 AM

Issa gets a lot of shade at LSA, seems she's from money, she grew up in a wealthy part of California, her dad is a pediatrician. A lot of female viewers think because the main character's name is Issa, she's playing herself. It's kind of the same shade Lena Dunham got playing Hannah Horvath.

by Anonymousreply 22August 22, 2017 8:22 PM

So what's the shade about, R22?

by Anonymousreply 23August 22, 2017 8:32 PM

Very uneven, amateurish writing, and a narcissistic self involved lead. Oh yes, it's the anti-girls for sure.

by Anonymousreply 24August 22, 2017 8:32 PM

I really liked the first season but the quality has dropped off a bit. Issa becoming too much like Hannah Horvath as others mentioned. Also is it just me or does the actress playing Molly, the best friend, have trouble talking through her teeth? Sometimes I can't watch her scenes because I feel like I'm listening to Nancy Kerrigan

by Anonymousreply 25August 22, 2017 8:38 PM

Issa was very popular with black women during her web series run - Awkward Black Girl. lSA is not the litmus test for what black women think. Look to Twitter for that. Twitter loves her. Her characters are a good portrayal of "middle class" black millennials.

by Anonymousreply 26August 22, 2017 8:43 PM

It's actually a lot like Girls. End of Season 1 breaks up with boyfriend. Camera's still following him around in Season 2. It's like the Hannah/Adam Driver thing all over again.

by Anonymousreply 27August 22, 2017 9:20 PM

Did we know that the actress who plays Molly is a 33 year old virgin?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2017 8:18 PM

Yep I knew r28. She looks like Toni Childs from Girlfriends.

by Anonymousreply 29August 24, 2017 12:40 AM

R28 I sure didn't! She's so confident in her interactions with men on the show. Love her new squeeze as well; he's so impossibly tall and gorgeous in every way.

I find this season very boring, though. Paper thin relationship drama, over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 30August 24, 2017 12:49 AM

It's dropped off from the first season. Molly should move to Chicago or her job and Issa should get a new job.

by Anonymousreply 31August 24, 2017 3:15 AM

ITA with R31

I wanted to see more of Molly in Chicago

by Anonymousreply 32August 24, 2017 3:25 AM

This show has excellent eye candy and is one of the best shows on tv. Some of you need to stop. And STOP comparing it every other black show. It has more in common with Girls than Blackish you fucking retards.

by Anonymousreply 33August 24, 2017 3:57 AM

[quote]So what's the shade about, [R22]?

The shade seems to be about playing a character Issa knows little about. Lots of the women posting at LSA don't seem to realize Issa and the actress who plays Molly are acting. Both actresses are from upper middle class background and they are African, not African-Americans. Some black female viewers think the characters are too ghetto, as if their real life backgrounds would cancel out the characters they portray, that's makes little sense, but that seems to be the argument. Much in the same way the Girls actresses where playing at being struggling hipsters, meanwhile, all the actresses came from famous (famous newscaster dad, famous artist parents, famous playwright and famous rock drummer) and wealthy backgrounds.

by Anonymousreply 34August 24, 2017 7:35 AM

I wish the LSA troll would stop bringing up LSA in every thread involving black people. It's very annoying.

by Anonymousreply 35August 24, 2017 8:29 AM

Thanks, R34.

by Anonymousreply 36August 24, 2017 9:27 AM

[quote]I wish the LSA troll would stop bringing up LSA in every thread involving black people. It's very annoying.

You need to dial that back hon. I'm NOT the "LSA troll". I happened to be following a few celebrity threads at LSA, then I came across a few threads about Insecure. I didn't know much about Issa, I found out that Issa and "Molly' came from upper middle class backgrounds, some women there were talking about Issa's show being about a life she never led.

Of course, I am quite aware that LSA doesn't speak for all black women. Yet it's great being able to get another perspective from that forum.

by Anonymousreply 37August 24, 2017 9:51 AM

Issa's dad is African and her mom is a black American.

by Anonymousreply 38August 25, 2017 1:14 AM

[quote]Issa's dad is African and her mom is a black American.

The main point of the LSA complainers, they felt, because both Issa and the female co-star, Yvonne Orji, grew up comparatively well-off, they weren't in any position to tell the story of struggling African-American professional women. Both grew up in very comfortable areas of the US.

I don't think their backgrounds should make any difference, they are acting, which is apparently lost on those posters at LSA. They seemed to think that Issa should write and act about the life she knows. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 39August 25, 2017 3:37 PM

But as actresses, don't Issa and "Molly" have experience as "struggling AA professional women"???

It sounds like LSA just likes to complain.

by Anonymousreply 40August 25, 2017 4:45 PM

I hope men aren't going to LSA. It's catty bitchy nastiness unrestrained. And a lot of hatred and bigotry.Why would dudes even go there?

by Anonymousreply 41August 25, 2017 4:59 PM

Please tell me you're joking, r41. You just described DL.

by Anonymousreply 42August 25, 2017 5:06 PM

[quote]Both actresses are from upper middle class background and they are African, not African-Americans.

I think this was poorly worded. They are clearly not African because they speak in perfect American accents, plus Issa writes this show, which would be completely impossible if she was an African transplant. She [italic]must[/italic] have lived through at least some of this life to be able to write about it, middle class or not.

[quote]They seemed to think that Issa should write and act about the life she knows. Weird.

You know, I can actually understand their frustration. What if a straight woman wrote all the episodes of [italic]Looking[/italic]? Sure, imagination and research can take you a long way, but it's still a bit iffy when you think about it. Because when you're declared the voice of your generation due to your TV show and it turns out you haven't lived through anything remotely similar to that, how is that not awkward?

by Anonymousreply 43August 25, 2017 5:09 PM

R43, I only know what I read about Issa, I read her parents were African, as from Africa.

Nowhere did I post she was born in Africa, but that she was of African descent, which is a completely different upbringing than the working class African-American experience. I think that was the point of the LSA posters, that Issa wasn't a poor African-American. I read that one or both of her parents were African immigrants, her father is a pediatrician.

I was talking about the actresses being of African descent not the characters they are playing, the characters are African-American, of course they wouldn't have African accents.

The problem with Americans, we are trained to believe that ANYONE from a foreign country is automatically poor and uneducated, yet, for example, there are many wealthy Africans, Indian and Pakistani people who move to the US and have great careers. Not every immigrant everyone grew up in a mud hut, then comes to the US to open a small convenience store or newsstand.

by Anonymousreply 44August 25, 2017 5:23 PM

R44 That's why I wrote it was poorly worded, not that it was incorrect. Especially because you contrasted that by saying she's not African-American, which she clearly is. The term "African" in the US (and elsewhere) is reserved for people who didn't grow up in the US but came here later, like Lupita Nyong'o.

by Anonymousreply 45August 25, 2017 5:39 PM

Oh, and I've no idea what you wanted to convey with your last paragraph or how it applies to this discussion in any way. Also, I'm European, so...

by Anonymousreply 46August 25, 2017 5:41 PM

[quote]I hope men aren't going to LSA. It's catty bitchy nastiness unrestrained. And a lot of hatred and bigotry.Why would dudes even go there?

I can bypass the bigotry there, usually against white women. I don't read those threads, I've skimmed through a few and there's lots of anger there.

I went to LSA to follow the Chris Cornell threads, I was a big fan, but knew next to nothing about how fucked up his personal life was, there were many good threads at LSA. I have no idea if those threads were put up by the LSA regulars, but they were loaded with excellent background info. I sometimes follow the celebrity threads there. Lots of showbiz insiders post at LSA.

by Anonymousreply 47August 25, 2017 5:42 PM

[quote]Oh, and I've no idea what you wanted to convey with your last paragraph or how it applies to this discussion in any way. Also, I'm European, so...

Are you trying to start an argument? I was stating a fact, that a lot of Americans assume most foreigners who come to live here are from poor backgrounds. Do you have reading comprehension problems? That was also the point of the LSA thread, that Issa is "from money", she's not the product of poor immigrant parents or the daughter of poor African-Americans, IE: black people born in the USA. Do you understand that sentence?!

Since Issa is part African, supposedly her mom is American, she is the LITERAL explanation of an African-American. Your posts are mostly incoherent. I have no idea WTF you are going on about.

WTF is Charlize Theron considered? She is African too, South African. She lost her accent many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 48August 25, 2017 5:51 PM

It's so strange to me when people expect a single story to be all things to all people.

Each story is as unique as the person telling it. Issa is telling one story the way she wants to tell it. Don't like it? Tell your own story. There are millions and millions of stories to be told about the AA experience. The world will never tire of them.

Same goes for bios. There are a million ways to tell the Whitney Houston story, for example. Don't like the one on Netflix? Tell your own Whitney story.

by Anonymousreply 49August 25, 2017 6:00 PM

[quote]Do you have reading comprehension problems? Do you understand that sentence?! Your posts are mostly incoherent. I have no idea WTF you are going on about.

Nice not-so-subtle digs at the foreigner there. Also, you [italic]really[/italic] ought to calm down; it's just a TV show. In any case, I don't intend to indulge your hysteria any further. So, let's just block each other and be done with it, shall we? I'm certain there are plenty of other posters who will more than gladly communicate with you on your hyper-intellectual level that is clearly beyond my comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 50August 25, 2017 6:00 PM

[quote]There are millions and millions of stories to be told about the AA experience. The world will never tire of them.

Sure, if you have the money and the connections to produce them.

by Anonymousreply 51August 25, 2017 6:02 PM

[quote]Nice not-so-subtle digs at the foreigner there. Also, you really ought to calm down; it's just a TV show. In any case, I don't intend to indulge your hysteria any further. So, let's just block each other and be done with it, shall we? I'm certain there are plenty of other posters who will more than gladly communicate with you on your hyper-intellectual level that is clearly beyond my comprehension.

Hysteria? Give me a break. No reason to call anyone a cunt. Yaaawn...

It's DL posters like you who need to grow up. I was simply stating what some African-American women were talking about at an Insecure thread about Issa at LSA. I mentioned it was cool getting another perspective on the show, especially from black women.

That poster who came in here to correct my posts, stating they were "poorly worded", guess that was you? I don't have to time to "block" people. I could give a shit. I think it's quite amusing when ppl who start arguments here, then act as if they are being attached. Such delicate flowers, not to mention, such passive-aggressive bullshit, it's very typical of message forums. lol

"Issa is African-American, not African" blah, blah, blah, that's the person you need to argue with, not me. Go argue with yourself. Funny thing is, I was never arguing, just repeating what was posted at LSA.

I surely was not the person who was over-analyizing posts here, get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 52August 25, 2017 7:02 PM

Again, LSA is one message board. There are people who hate everything. LSA criticism does not speak for the overall reception of this show which has been overwhelming positive. Coming from a family with many black women, of all ages, no one feels that way. LSA is a circle jerk. Go on Twitter, Facebook, meet people in actual real life.

by Anonymousreply 53August 25, 2017 7:05 PM

R53, no one here said LSA speaks for the "overall reception" of Insecure, let alone all str8 black women. I do enjoy the way the LSA posters have been eviscerating Trump, lots of great insight and funny too.

WTF is your problem? Jesus Christ, give it a rest! I don't quite understand how a handful of posts could get anyone so up in arms. There were simply some opinions from the perspective of what I assumed were young black working class women. They were annoyed by Issa, end of story. I never said those posters spoke for ALL black women. Just like the porn obsessives here at DL certainly don't speak for ALL gay men!

I'm not a regular at LSA, I don't even post there.

"Go on Twitter, Facebook, meet people in actual real life." As if any of these social media sites are any different from LSA or any other message forum? Most social media is yet more circle jerks, trolls, poseurs and ppl posting photos of the lives they want to lead. It's all so fake.

by Anonymousreply 54August 25, 2017 7:45 PM

Is anyone still watching????

This blowjob stuff is insane! Does this have any basis in reality???

by Anonymousreply 55September 4, 2017 2:34 AM

There's definitely the stereotype that black women aren't as free with blow jobs as others are. I have a black cousin who is a HO and she claims to not suck dick. I actually believe her. It's so weird. Then again, I've been friends with other black women that love sucking dick. I think the stereotype is intensified because the ones that don't do it have such a visceral reaction to it and are super vocal about it.

by Anonymousreply 56September 4, 2017 5:05 AM

Women who*

by Anonymousreply 57September 4, 2017 5:06 AM

Insecure is clearly not about characters who grew up in working class AA neighbourhoods. They're relatively priveledged, particularly Molly. It's the black version of Girls, except I don't want to smash all the characters in the face.

Loved Issa's rampage tonight. Haven't we all had those moments, even if we didn't follow through?

by Anonymousreply 58September 4, 2017 5:17 AM

Molly is not privileged, although she does have a high paying job. Molly's parents aren't straight up poor, but they're not privileged. We saw their home and vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 59September 4, 2017 5:21 AM

Everyone has hit peak insufferable, though I still like Molly. I really didn't buy that Isaa had that much repressed rage; though I agree - we've all been there, so I guess it's not that far off.

Last week I really thought that her meltdown over the cum facial actually had nothing to do with the cum facial specifically. I figured she was frustrated and anxious about her life in general, didn't know what she really wanted to do, and was upset because she was forcing herself to doing something she really didn't want to do (the blowjob). So, she was just lashing out randomly. I thought she'd be more contrite about the cum shot freakout, so I was surprised when she was still pissed about it this week.

by Anonymousreply 60September 4, 2017 5:29 AM

Molly may not have grown up privileged with Rose and NotBernard for parents, but they didn't look poor - just middle class. Molly is totally privileged now. Not saying she didn't work for it, but she is well off. I was kinda disappointed she didn't offer to help Issa with the car.

by Anonymousreply 61September 4, 2017 5:35 AM

I thought she might offer to help too, but I guess they don't mix money. Btw, I was thinking of moving to L.A. and I saw Issa's apartments, The Dunes, listed. They were the cheapest in the area. It sucks that Lawrence has a nicer place than her now.

by Anonymousreply 62September 4, 2017 5:41 AM

[quote]Molly is not privileged, although she does have a high paying job. Molly's parents aren't straight up poor, but they're not privileged. We saw their home and vehicle.

If that's what you think poor is in the US, you must not know many poor or working class people. Working class Americans, whether black, white or whatever, do not own a house. Most of the working class people I've known throughout my life, I grew up in city, lived in the same shitty rental apartments for decades. Most ended up having their adult kids move back in, which worked actually out for some of those adult kids, as those areas are now gentrified, such as Bushwick Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 63September 4, 2017 6:11 AM

I know what poor is and I am black. I take offense to them being called relatively privileged just because they didn't grow up in "the hood". They're not poor, but they're not privileged and I stand by that family, Typical middle class family, moderately above paycheck to paycheck like most.

by Anonymousreply 64September 4, 2017 6:14 AM

Typo, too tired to fix.

by Anonymousreply 65September 4, 2017 6:14 AM

Any thoughts, comments on Issa's gay brother on the show?

by Anonymousreply 66September 4, 2017 7:18 AM

I didnt really care for it. Watched the first episode, and never came back. Another boring show about a woman that's black. So original. So magical. So different. Same shit, different vernacular, different race etc. Yawn! Wash repeat! Oh the Black female experience so different, so unique, so hard, so fun.... No.

by Anonymousreply 67September 4, 2017 9:47 AM

We need to see more of him, R66.

by Anonymousreply 68September 4, 2017 11:36 AM

I hate their promiscuous use of the "n-word." I can't with the show.

by Anonymousreply 69September 4, 2017 3:03 PM

Of course you cant dear R69.

by Anonymousreply 70September 4, 2017 3:05 PM

Don't call me "dear," dude.

by Anonymousreply 71September 4, 2017 3:10 PM

Lawrence is the worst. He is so lame.

by Anonymousreply 72September 4, 2017 10:49 PM

Since she trashed her apartment in the middle of the night, she'll be immediately evicted, right? Will she move in with Molly?

by Anonymousreply 73September 4, 2017 11:37 PM

I like the show but dislike all of the characters. I'm curious to see if Molly moves to Chicago or dates that attorney.

by Anonymousreply 74September 4, 2017 11:54 PM

Sorry dear R71.

by Anonymousreply 75September 5, 2017 1:09 AM

She mostly trashed her own furniture. She got the rent increase notice and people at the party were talking about how her hood is becoming gentrified. I got the impression that she's moving out anyway - part of her frustration with her life.

by Anonymousreply 76September 5, 2017 5:17 PM

I lost my interest in "Issa" after all of that blowjob stuff. I hope bad things happen to the character though I doubt I'll be watching next season.

by Anonymousreply 77September 5, 2017 7:58 PM

I never got the feeling that Issa and her friends were middle class. I get that Issa's family was middle class when she grew up, but then it looked like Issa went to one the big name public universities in California, did well, and is biding her time in a non-profit before deciding what to do for grad school. Her friends - not all of them, but the ones she is closer to - took the same path but chose to go straight from undergrad to high paying careers like law (Molly) and tech (Lawrence - though really, he should go to business school and work that angle of the industry now that WooWoo is bust). In my mind, coming out of undergrad and working a crap job where you get great experience is a common route into a professional degree, and so I have trouble as seeing them as middle class even if they are currently low income.

by Anonymousreply 78September 5, 2017 8:07 PM

The show should be exploring why Issa seems to hate herself so much. What normal woman wants to act like a 'ho'? Such a boring storyline. All these premium cable shows are sex obsessed.

The way these series are presented, if there's no constant nudity, there's no reason for most of these series to exist. I watched the "Broad City" marathon yesterday on Comedy Central, I never watched the series before, it was hilarious. Sure, there was lots of sex, but it was presented in less serious and outright hilarious manner. Maybe Issa needs to take a cue from that series?

by Anonymousreply 79September 5, 2017 8:10 PM

The creator said somewhere that the show isn't for white people, so I'll comply and pass on watching her crap.

by Anonymousreply 80September 5, 2017 8:14 PM

Issa's character was on lock-down relationship wise with Lawrence for most of her 20s. She decided to make up for lost ho-ing time by using the breakup as a jumping off point to see what she had been missing. "Hilarity" ensues.

by Anonymousreply 81September 5, 2017 8:15 PM

I checked out the first few episodes of the first season and I don't know, I don't dislike it but it didn't really suck me in either. Wish I liked it more than I did.

by Anonymousreply 82September 5, 2017 8:18 PM

This show is one of the cases where the performers are really good, but the scripts are shit. The actor who plays Lawrence is cute, I might continue to watch it for him.

by Anonymousreply 83September 5, 2017 8:56 PM

I call bullshit R80. Issa isnt like that at all and she's far more progrssive than some of her peers (Im looking at you Lena D). Present receipts if you're going to make someone out to be a racist.

by Anonymousreply 84September 6, 2017 4:14 AM

I'm pretty sure R80 was just trolling.

by Anonymousreply 85September 6, 2017 7:29 AM

R67 clearly was already prepared to hate the show before even watching it, his opinion is meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 86September 6, 2017 7:42 AM

Not trolling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 8, 2017 7:37 PM

...Is that a bad thing? Looking (and Weekend before that), was very much a show/movie for gay men, it is from creatives from that group and meant to speak to that community.

by Anonymousreply 88September 8, 2017 8:05 PM

This show is certainly being promoted to a wide ranging audience that includes both dudes and white people. I've seen Issa promote it on both Colbert and Larry King. I didn't hear her say that dudes and white People should stay away, LOL. Will she happily take their money?

by Anonymousreply 89September 8, 2017 8:11 PM

[quote]I didn't hear her say that dudes and white People should stay away

Because that is not what they said. What they said was as a creative team they wanted to make a show that they felt really spoke to black women in an honest way. That in no way means they don't want other people to watch it.

There are certain types, you know EXACTLY which types, that just want to start shit.

by Anonymousreply 90September 8, 2017 8:13 PM

per R87, the show is literally not for me but I like it a lot. The second season is hitting its stride big time. More assured than the first season I'd say, judging on Issa's mirror raps alone. And twice as many people are watching it too. Feeling some of Molly's how things are/how things should be battle. Just got the s.2 soundtrack!

by Anonymousreply 91September 8, 2017 9:51 PM

Yeah. I beleive everything I read on the blogs.

by Anonymousreply 92September 9, 2017 4:48 AM

I'm a white person and I'm also a dude and I cried during the season finale.

by Anonymousreply 93September 11, 2017 3:49 AM

Oh shit! I missed it. Ill watch tomorrow. Was it good R93?

by Anonymousreply 94September 11, 2017 4:05 AM

It was a really good season finale, R93. Also, what needs to be done to make Due North an actual tv show?

by Anonymousreply 95September 11, 2017 4:33 AM

Was that her brother who answered the door?

by Anonymousreply 96September 11, 2017 4:50 AM

No, that wasn't her brother, that was the guy she fucked last season. He was the long time friend Issa thought she had feelings for. He was the guy she fucked in the recording studio. He was the guy she told Lawrence she had a fling with. Why she's moving in with him, who the hell knows. I guess that's what you call a cliff hanger until next season!

by Anonymousreply 97September 11, 2017 8:08 AM

I thought the first season was great but the second one ... not so much. They just don't seem to know what to do with the characters. it doesn't help that Issa has gone all "glam" - lost weight, better hair clothes and makeup, whiter teeth. I liked her in the first season where she had a 90s average black girl thing going on and it made more sense for her to look that way given how she lives and where she works. The storyline about the white guy earning more than Holly seems to be oddly injected into the show to pander to social media topics, The affair she is having with her friend's husband who says he is in an open relationship is much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 98September 11, 2017 9:54 AM

I can't tell what they are saying most of the time, they need sub titles.

by Anonymousreply 99September 11, 2017 11:27 AM

I'm white and I love it. I also love Better Things. Lawrence is fucking hot even if he has a weak chin. He has the body of death.

by Anonymousreply 100September 11, 2017 11:49 AM

I saw two episodes and it was all about women chasing men, women talking about men, women worried about whether or not men liked them. Very boring.

by Anonymousreply 101September 11, 2017 1:57 PM

This is an interesting short video on how the cinematographer lights the actors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 11, 2017 11:41 PM

[quote]I saw two episodes and it was all about women chasing men, women talking about men, women worried about whether or not men liked them. Very boring.

Yes, the show is yet another typical exploration of male and female relationships, it doesn't matter that it's from the 'black perspective', because it's basically the same old heterosexual narrative, showing str8 women need a man. It's not exactly a positive depiction of str8 women. Insecure shows how desperate and sad these women are without a man, or men, in their lives. Even the successful female lawyer isn't happy unless there's a man or two. Even Issa's brother let's her down!

How about showing women who can actually survive without being in relationships or are happy being alone? Guess that's why the show is called Insecure, lol

I enjoy the show, but the constant relationship stuff does get grating. I don't mind looking at Lawrence tho. The friend with the blond hair is funny, forgot her name. Her bf is cute too.

by Anonymousreply 103September 11, 2017 11:52 PM

Thanks for the video, R102

by Anonymousreply 104September 12, 2017 12:01 AM

Never really thought of it from that perspective, R103, but it is true. There really isn't a positive message in the show. Have you seen Crazy Ex Girlfriend?

by Anonymousreply 105September 12, 2017 12:09 AM

That is realistic

by Anonymousreply 106September 12, 2017 12:26 AM

Watching a happy woman sit by herself is BORING. That's why there are no TV shows about happy, successful, content people--male, female, black, white, old, young, etc.

Drama is engaging and fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 107September 12, 2017 12:34 AM

[quote]Watching a happy woman sit by herself is BORING. That's why there are no TV shows about happy, successful, content people--male, female, black, white, old, young, etc. Drama is engaging and fun to watch.

Hmm, Mary Tyler Moore's character, a successful TV producer, seemed to be quite happy without a man. The entire series wasn't about Mary's quest for a man. Guess you need to bone up on some classic successful TV shows!

That wasn't my point at all that we should watch a "happy" woman. There's nothing wrong with 'drama', but there are actually men and women, gay and str8, who don't need to be a relationship to be happy, they've found other ways to lead normal lives without the constant drama of finding a mate. There's just so much relationship angst viewers can take.

Insecure needs to deal with more than str8 male/female relationships. Issa can be 'insecure' about her job and other areas of her life, not just about men. As a black woman, one would hope Issa had a lot more to write about than just men.

Pretty much every TV series has at it's core, the main message, that humans are not satisfied and happy with their lives unless they are paired off. Now that's boring.

by Anonymousreply 108September 12, 2017 2:29 AM

Oh FFS the show is much more than about a woman chasing a man. Youre obviusly not watching the shiw. Its layered. Its about relationships, gentrification, code switching, being aimless in LA, and much more.

by Anonymousreply 109September 12, 2017 4:09 AM

[quote]Oh FFS the show is much more than about a woman chasing a man. Youre obviusly not watching the shiw. Its layered. Its about relationships, gentrification, code switching, being aimless in LA, and much more.

The series main focus is the main female characters problems looking for a man to have a LTR with, all the other stuff you mentioned is just background. Even Molly is seeing two men at the same time! Lawrence is not even happy with the woman he's now with. It's not just the women with messed up love lives.

Sure, I noticed the gentrification issue, most US cities are going through that right now, big deal. Unless the series delves deeper into that, next season we'll just get more about the womens fucked up relationships or lack of. Everything else you mentioned is simply a backdrop for the characters relationship problems.

by Anonymousreply 110September 12, 2017 6:08 AM

I think the show is about black women getting that good dick.

by Anonymousreply 111September 12, 2017 12:34 PM

Anti-white tv show about BW needing BM.

by Anonymousreply 112September 12, 2017 12:48 PM

[quote] Anti-white tv show

Oh good grief. It's not anti anything.

It's just not MADE especially and only for us white folks.

by Anonymousreply 113September 12, 2017 1:09 PM

What's LSA?

by Anonymousreply 114September 12, 2017 1:29 PM

[quote]What's LSA?

LSA is Lipstick Alley, a message forum mainly for black women. It's just as crazy as DL. Lots of white people also post there. There was a great forum about the Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell when he committed suicide, I was surprised so many black women were fans. There were also many white rock fans who suddenly appeared there because the Cornell forum was very informative, especially about his crazy wife and mother-in-law.

At LSA, there are many different topics, with the focus on entertainment. The difference is, you have to join to post. The administrators frown upon people posting anonymously unless you have important scandalous "tea" about a celebrity, otherwise, you are required to post under your username, which is anonymous anyway. Because, honestly, who the hell posts under their real name at any forum?!

People who work in the entertainment industry actually post anonymously at LSA. I've read gossip there months before it was revealed to the world and proved to be true.

by Anonymousreply 115September 12, 2017 9:46 PM

btw, the LSA Chris Cornell thread is up to over 800 PAGES! Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 116September 14, 2017 9:40 AM

It's a vile, nasty forum for amoral people

by Anonymousreply 117September 14, 2017 12:24 PM

[quote]It's a vile, nasty forum for amoral people

Calm down queenie!

Like DL, anyone can easily bypass the snark and nastiness at LSA. The majority of black women posting at LSA have not tried to get the Chris Cornell forum deleted. I assume most of the posters in that thread are white, especially as so many people seem to be newly signed up. When the thread first went up, there were many black women claiming to be Cornell fans.

Considering that a lot of the black women at LSA seem to despise white people, as well as South Asians, it's amazing the Cornell thread is up to 800+ pages.

by Anonymousreply 118September 14, 2017 6:32 PM

That marathon scene was so weird. That large friend of Issa runs marathons? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 119September 16, 2017 11:53 PM

I am so late to the party but just finished season 1. It’s worth it just for the nudity. Jay Ellis naked is a thing of absolute beauty. I would kill to sniff his ass. Fuck!

by Anonymousreply 120August 20, 2018 11:52 AM

I kind of got bored season two. But I'm enjoying it now again.

by Anonymousreply 121August 20, 2018 12:01 PM

I enjoyed the first season. Season 2 felt a bit repetitive as does season 3.

by Anonymousreply 122August 20, 2018 12:09 PM

The show has been stellar since season 1. Season 3 is great so far.

by Anonymousreply 123August 22, 2018 4:34 AM

An A from the difficult ppl at av Club. Episode 3.1 is superb! All about boundaries. Funny when Issa is being an uber driver and the guy starts smoking weed lolol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 22, 2018 4:44 AM

Another amazing episode tonight.

by Anonymousreply 125September 3, 2018 4:46 AM

Issa turned a corner tonight. Getting her life together piece by piece.

by Anonymousreply 126September 3, 2018 4:50 AM

I didn't quite understand what happened with Molly and the women at work. I'll miss the ditzy little white girl from We Got Y'all.

by Anonymousreply 127September 3, 2018 4:52 AM

Yeah, I'll miss Freida. Someone on a forum had suggested that Molly slept with the obnoxious dude from the office who talked over her in the meeting, and that's they the other women went from almost bringing her in their circle to eye rolls and exasperation. Remember, Issa had told her to see how she could be helpful at work, lol. Molly's a type A personality and I could see her maybe sleeping with him, but I didn't pick that up from what actually unfolded on screen.

by Anonymousreply 128September 3, 2018 5:36 AM

"and that's they the other women ..."

I meant "and that's why the other women ..."

by Anonymousreply 129September 3, 2018 5:38 AM

This is a great show. I read an article about how they got lighting experts for black skin and it makes such a difference. I also like how they portray LA. It makes it look inviting.

by Anonymousreply 130September 3, 2018 10:03 PM

The actress who plays Molly has claimed in interviews that she's a virgin. Yet she does sex scenes? How exactly does that work. She's never been naked with a man in real life, yet is able to get naked in a room filled with people, some pointing cameras at her?!

by Anonymousreply 131September 5, 2018 9:47 AM

R131 Seems a bit weird doesn’t it? And personally I would think someone who is saving herself for marriage would perhaps have an issue with doing HBO-level sex scenes.

by Anonymousreply 132September 5, 2018 10:11 AM

It does seem extremely weird. IIRC, in an interview with her in NY Times, think it was last year and her being virgin was a large part of the interview.

Why even mention it, her virginity had nothing to do with her role.

by Anonymousreply 133September 5, 2018 12:13 PM

For fucks sakes, she's an ACTRESS. You know she's not really having sex with those guys right? Also, she's not really a lawyer. Some of you are complete idiots.

by Anonymousreply 134September 6, 2018 5:00 AM

[quote]For fucks sakes, she's an ACTRESS. You know she's not really having sex with those guys right? Also, she's not really a lawyer. Some of you are complete idiots.

No, YOU are the complete fucking IDIOT. Yes, we are quite aware she's an actress and not really having sex. But her naked body is against an attractive man's naked body and she's a virgin in real life. You don't find anything odd with that? Give me a fucking break.

It's the same as for a young performer who has never kissed before in their private life, suddenly expected to do some deep French kissing! In fact, I was reading about some actor who, as a young teen, did his first ever kiss on stage, he had never kissed anyone before, of course, he totally screwed up.

This actress, Yvonne Orji, is a woman who never got naked with a man in her private life. You actually think because she's an actress it's going to be soooo fucking easy to get naked in a room filled with people and simulate having sex, which, try to THINK here, she's never ever had sex before in her life?

It's so easy to tell when an actress looks extremely awkward in sex scenes, especially young actresses who were supposedly virgins at the time. Brooke Shields sex scenes as a teen were extremely awkward and stilted. Brooke couldn't even 'pump' properly against her male co-star, I guess she was a virgin!

by Anonymousreply 135September 6, 2018 5:17 AM

I've only caught up with the first two episodes of the 3rd season-

This is an odd show to me. I think it is insightful, well written, and funny-

But it leaves me DEPRESSED. There is so little warmth and kindness on it. It is very cold to me.

I think it is a little too close to real life and how cold life can appear at times, hits too close to home. Not a fan of the N word being thrown around so much, but I guess this is just how it is now.

I am a 41 year old white guy and I wonder if it is just that show is not targeted at my demographic?

This season is as good as the first. Last season was a bore. And my god this guy that Issa lives with is unbelievably sexy. Their chemistry is insane too.

by Anonymousreply 136September 9, 2018 4:58 PM

R135 is still a dumbass who doesnt get how acting works and the fact that their privates arent actually touching.

by Anonymousreply 137September 9, 2018 5:08 PM

I cannot relate to a black woman's travails... I related to Sex And The City because it was created by gay white guys who were not unfamiliar with places like the Gaiety.

by Anonymousreply 138September 9, 2018 5:09 PM

R138. I was wondering the same thing about myself. Do I just not have any frame of reference to relate to a 30 year old African American woman? But I fucking hated Sex In The City. HATED. But I fucking LOVED Girls on HBO- And to me, Insecure is a new version of Girls. In fact, Girls seemed DEEPER? Yeah, the characters were all obnoxious and privileged- and lily white, but there were some decent truths and lessons there. And it was probably more funny than Insecure is.

I find this show very interesting but cold and aloof. There is no joy. But it is watchable and one of the better shows on the air today.

by Anonymousreply 139September 9, 2018 5:21 PM

Omg Omg Omg tonights episode!!!

by Anonymousreply 140September 10, 2018 4:25 AM

"No, YOU are the complete fucking IDIOT. Yes, we are quite aware she's an actress and not really having sex. But her naked body is against an attractive man's naked body and she's a virgin in real life. You don't find anything odd with that? Give me a fucking break."

Why would it be odd? Virgin - hasn't fucked. Sex scenes - not actual fucking. How is that inconsistent or "weird"? She shouldn't take this great role until she's had sex? She's an actress.

by Anonymousreply 141September 10, 2018 4:31 AM

[quote][R135] is still a dumbass who doesnt get how acting works and the fact that their privates arent actually touching.

Because I don't agree with you, you think it's OK to deem me a dumbass. You're the fucking imbecile, who apparently can't use logic or has the capability to discuss something on a message forum.

This actress has claimed she's never been naked with a man in her life, yet because she an 'actress', she can easily get naked on a soundstage with a ton of people around?! I don't buy that at all. I'm quite aware that the performers genitals are usually covered for non-porn scenes. I know a lot about acting and how certain types of scenes are done. I'm a freelance photographer was has shot stills on-set for several films.

I sure do know how acting works, a close friend is a working actress and it's none your fucking business 'who' she is. We've discussed this particular actress and her role. My friend agrees, "Sure it's always strange to get naked on a set with tons of people around and a good looking naked man in front of you. This actress claims to be a virgin, those scenes cannot be easy for her. They're not easy for non-virgins!"

by Anonymousreply 142September 10, 2018 6:17 AM

Anyway, Lawrence is back!!!

by Anonymousreply 143September 11, 2018 2:50 AM

All these shows just seem to wallow in their unhappiness. It doesn't have to be all sunshine 24/7 but we seem to have gone from 1970s cheese comedies to "let me do an episode where I ride around in a Lyft after I shit my pants and/or had a miscarriage."

No balance.

by Anonymousreply 144September 11, 2018 2:54 AM

It's boring, OP. Worse than "Dear White People".

by Anonymousreply 145September 11, 2018 2:58 AM
by Anonymousreply 146September 24, 2018 1:10 PM

Will the virgin actress who portrays Molly have more sex scenes soon? The season finale is this Sunday, unless she gets naked again this Sunday. I guess not.

How about the overweight actress, has she gotten naked on the series? I don't recall.

OT, is Issa straight? I always got a lesbian vibe. She's a good looking sexy woman, but I've always thought she was gay.

by Anonymousreply 147September 25, 2018 4:12 PM

It's a great show that I look forward to each week. Some wonderful writing. Not sure, however, why all of the white characters are written and cartoonish villains and doofuses.

by Anonymousreply 148October 4, 2018 8:31 PM

*are* cartoonish villains and doofuses.

by Anonymousreply 149October 4, 2018 8:34 PM

I like the actress who plays Molly and I like that character and her story. The storylines for the Issa character are boring to me.

What was the point of Issa’s job at the non-profit? Why doesn’t she pursue a decent-paying job like her friends Molly and Kelly have?

by Anonymousreply 150October 4, 2018 8:43 PM

The white characters are offensive cartoons, but hey, Issa is black so you just gotta accept it and praise it.

by Anonymousreply 151October 5, 2018 12:27 AM

Oh here we go with the race bating. Totally forgot some white folks hate not being the center of attention. Freida wasnt probably the most "regular" white character and she was one of the most likeable characters. WTF are you talking about R151 & R148? Go watch Girls- or 90%- of the rest of mainstream tv if you want to see white heros.

by Anonymousreply 152October 5, 2018 4:10 AM

I watched it a few times and was really hoping to like it. But it's all "talk about relationship...fuck....fuck...fuck...more relationship talk..fuck...relationship talk.."

So boring and repetitive. I'm sure young single people and old lonely people like to watch a lot of fucking to get titilated, but I can fuck anytime I want, so it's really not so thrilling to watch fake sex so often.

But I'm not in the majority and I accept that. Most people like tedious talk about man problems and like to see simulated sex.

by Anonymousreply 153October 5, 2018 4:42 AM

I don't know if it's the lighting or what but the male characters in this show look absolutely scrumptious.

by Anonymousreply 154October 5, 2018 4:54 AM

"Not sure, however, why all of the white characters are written and cartoonish villains and doofuses."

I think if you re-read some of the responses in this thread, you'll understand why that happens. I skipped the second season, but I enjoyed the first and I'm enjoying it now.

Meanwhile, I LOVE Dear White People. I enjoy it more than this show, but I can watch both since I don't have a limit on how many "black shows" to watch.

Some of the comments on this thread remind me how people on this board will tear apart a gay show, because they "can't relate" to the characters OR they already like some other gay show, so they're done with gay shows, thank you very much.

You just never know if you're dealing with a homophobe or a self-lather. The hate sounds the same. I guess that's one of the mysteries of the internet.

by Anonymousreply 155October 5, 2018 5:31 AM

Hah, I typed "self-lather." It kind of fits.

by Anonymousreply 156October 5, 2018 5:31 AM

[quote] You just never know if you're dealing with a homophobe or a self-lather

They're just opinions, not the Human Rights Charter. You have your opinions and they have theirs.

And what would be wrong with a gay person saying they couldn't relate to any characters on a gay show? You don't think white people stop watching a TV show where they can't relate to the (white} characters on the show? Of course they do. They do it all the time. "I stopped watching thirtysomething bevausevibcouldnt relate to the characters." White viewers said this about the TV show staring white people playing white characters.

by Anonymousreply 157October 5, 2018 5:47 AM

It's a series about straight black people with relationship and work problems. Issa has gay brother, so maybe next season he'll be featured more.

I couldn't relate to GIRLS, especially as I'm not a trust fund millennial who thinks the world owes me a living. The only interesting people on GIRLS were the guy who worked in the cafe, the GIRLS parents and most of the guest stars, Relentless navel gazing by Lens Dunham and crew was excruciating. Yes, I watched the entire series.

The sign of any good series is when people from all ethnicities and ages can relate to universal problems.

by Anonymousreply 158October 5, 2018 7:24 AM

Race baiting??? I don't need white heroes. And I truly love this show, I love the writing and I'm invested in the characters. But all of the white characters are offensive, degrading stereotypes. And that is fucked up. I don't give creators a pass on all things just because they are "diverse." Jesus. Everyone is falling all over themselves to approve and not question all work from diverse artists. It's regressive.

by Anonymousreply 159October 5, 2018 8:10 AM

The white characters are great foils.

by Anonymousreply 160October 5, 2018 8:41 AM

the white characters are written as fools or insipid villains.

by Anonymousreply 161October 5, 2018 9:10 AM

" It's regressive."

Because anti-white racism is the biggest problem the world has to face and it always has been?

Because of the under-representation of white people in the media since the dawn of time?

Because white people have never been the heroes and it's their time?

I'm sure the reasons are legion.

You fail to realize that after a lifetime of hearing lies, some of us recognize bullshit when we hear it. And we're fed up. Especially after the exponential explosion of bullshit lies since Trump took office. Every day there is a fresh new low we had to listen to.

So this whole, "I'm going to be polite and overlook all your coded racist words" thing that some of you want to cling to...that just doesn't work for me anymore. I guess if I ran into Mitch McConnell or Lindsay Graham, I'd yell at them. But they don't seem to visit much where I live. So, lucky you, my fellow racist Dataloungers, you are my Mitch McConnell. You are my Lindsay Graham. They're successful white men, right? I mean, that's the kind of thing you're going for, isn't it?

It's a win-win for all of us.

by Anonymousreply 162October 5, 2018 10:31 AM

I think the writing is very uneven, sometimes great, sometimes not, but Issa herself is very appealing.

And yes, they get the lighting for black skin right ... as does Queen Sugar.

by Anonymousreply 163October 5, 2018 11:53 AM

I love the show but the writing is sometimes not very good. The dialogue is like a Twitter account, who talks like that? When Issa and Molly had their fight in the finale, every sentence started with "bitch.."

by Anonymousreply 164October 5, 2018 2:00 PM

r162, huh?? You are going off on another tangent. The white characters on this show are written as one dimensional fools, idiots and villains and it should not be given a pass just because the creator is black.

by Anonymousreply 165October 5, 2018 7:00 PM

I'm white and have quite a few black friends. I quit bringing them to parties of my white friends because there would invariably be a bunch of people who acted like idiots. I even had one guy do the whole "There's a difference between black people and N's". A girl said, "Ohmygod, what are you?" to a light skinned friend. Or "Holy shit, my dad only likes black chicks, Diana Ross, Tina Turner, he'd kill to fuck them". It was embarrassing and demoralizing. I've never thought the white characters were anything but true to life.

by Anonymousreply 166October 5, 2018 7:09 PM

R166 you associate with sociopaths, if you're not fully making this up.

by Anonymousreply 167October 5, 2018 7:37 PM

Not making it up, but yes, some of my friend's friends are total assholes.

by Anonymousreply 168October 5, 2018 9:41 PM

And so in conclusion, we don't talk much about HBO's Insecure because there's a lot of racists and misogynists here on Datalounge.

Tomorrow we discuss why everything about the Trump administration is shit. Today's program was an introduction to that topic.

by Anonymousreply 169October 6, 2018 2:35 AM

I LOVE INSECURE!! So freaking real! Issa is cool af. The guys are delicious. The stories so unassuming and full of nuances.

by Anonymousreply 170October 6, 2018 2:38 AM

The white characters are derogatory cartoons on this show, that's what ruins it for me. Otherwise it's really good. But it's 2018 so a black show creator can say all the awful shit she wants about white people and we just smile and agree, right? How woke!

by Anonymousreply 171October 6, 2018 5:06 AM

I’m irrationally irritated by people Issa has never met and who have only seen her name written down knowing how to pronounce that name and always saying “Eesa” correctly rather than “Isser.”

by Anonymousreply 172October 6, 2018 5:12 AM

"THIS SHOW IS NOT FOR WHITE PEOPLE"

by Anonymousreply 173October 11, 2018 3:29 AM

Is the black viewership of HBO large enough to make Insecure a hit? It’d be cool if they enforced the “black viewers only!” rule but I don’t know how they’d do that.

by Anonymousreply 174October 12, 2018 1:51 AM

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 175October 13, 2018 8:38 PM

Have you ever read comments sections online or any thread on DL? White people are more than just clueless. They're downright evil.

by Anonymousreply 176October 14, 2018 11:45 PM

R176 really? Come on. Don't be so offensively obtuse, degrading everyone as a monolith.

by Anonymousreply 177October 15, 2018 12:30 AM

Is there a newer thread? Muriel's search functionality is so lacking, I just had to go ahead and google "Insecure" and "Datalounge." Anyway, anyone still watching? I still think the Coachella episode is the single best episode, but I'm loving the new season.

"Asian Bae" is FINE. Kelli and Tiffany remain hilarious and the drama between Issa and Molly feels... well earned.

Also, the show-within-a-show documentary about the missing girl is hilarious satire.

by Anonymousreply 178May 21, 2020 7:59 AM

That pool conversation got real.

by Anonymousreply 179May 27, 2020 7:48 AM

R178 I’m still watching. It’s one of my favourite shows. I’m not looking forward to the Molly and Issa breakup that’s clearing being signposted. I love the soundtrack too. Each season’s soundtrack is available on streaming platforms.

by Anonymousreply 180May 29, 2020 7:48 PM

I agree op it’s one of the best things on tv

by Anonymousreply 181May 29, 2020 7:53 PM

I've been a fan of the series from the first episode, and I think the guy who plays Lawrence (Jay Ellis) is super hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182May 29, 2020 7:57 PM

I want more Tiffany and Kelli

by Anonymousreply 183May 29, 2020 8:28 PM

I hope this was the end of Lawrence's storyline.

by Anonymousreply 184June 1, 2020 3:49 AM

I'm guessing Condola is pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 185June 1, 2020 9:14 AM

I love Kelli she is hilarious

by Anonymousreply 186June 1, 2020 11:28 AM

I gave up on it in the first season. Issa's was the least interesting character of them all (and not a very good actress), and much of it felt like the political/social ideas came before the drama. And for all the naked dudes, the sex was very hetero-porn feeling, which felt weird in a show by/about women.

by Anonymousreply 187June 1, 2020 11:45 AM

[quote]And for all the naked dudes, the sex was very hetero-porn feeling, which felt weird in a show by/about women.

Yeah I guess I agree to a point, but it ultimately didn't bother me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188June 1, 2020 12:20 PM

Molly telling Andrew to eat her ass last week didn't seem all that hetero-porn to me! And all those sex toys?

by Anonymousreply 189June 1, 2020 3:36 PM

Andrew (aka 'Asian Bae') is FINE, but I don't know if it's the actors or the characters, but I don't see his relationship with Molly lasting. They always seem to be walking on eggshells around each other. Or maybe that's EVERYONE with Molly.

R187 - if you don't mind minor spoilers, skip ahead to watch the Coachella episode, season 3, episode 5. It is, by far, the funniest episode of the entire series and it's really about the relationships between these four women as opposed to about messy romantic relationship drama or a bigger socio-political dynamic. If you don't like that episode then, yeah, the show just isn't for you.

by Anonymousreply 190June 1, 2020 3:57 PM

^^ I'll give it a try. I liked Molly, both the character and the actress, and the other women.

by Anonymousreply 191June 1, 2020 7:28 PM

I like molly best even though Issa is the star

by Anonymousreply 192June 1, 2020 8:37 PM

Molly is such an ass. I hope she disappears forever

by Anonymousreply 193June 8, 2020 1:04 PM

Molly is such a cunt. However, Yvonne Orji's(Molly) stand up on HBO right now is hilarious! She's so damned funny and the special is a really sweet look at her Nigerian background and family.

by Anonymousreply 194June 9, 2020 2:57 AM

Did anyone watch last night's season finale? It was pretty good! Lots of WTF moments. Won't post spoilers but I really liked it.

by Anonymousreply 195June 15, 2020 3:20 PM

[quote]it has lots of male nudity

Dong? If so, whose?

by Anonymousreply 196June 15, 2020 3:24 PM

R195 - yes! I loved it. The whole subplot that involved them going on the search for [something/someone -- I won't spoil it either] was such an interesting way to pop a hole in everything and let everyone reset. Shame it's still only 10 episodes, but I guess quality over quantity, right? I REAAAAALY want more Kelli next season, though.

by Anonymousreply 197June 15, 2020 3:29 PM

It was a great episode. The Guisado's they go to is across the street from my loft! I guessed the Condola thing the night of the block party. Oh to be sitting in the Ethiopian restaurant when Issa tells Molly!

by Anonymousreply 198June 15, 2020 4:14 PM

This show is so beautifully shot, too. It's clear that they have a talented crew, DP, makeup and hair and costume artists who know how to dress and light black people. Love the music, too. I don't know what you call their vibe... progressive R&B and hip-hop? Whatever it is, it's great.

by Anonymousreply 199June 15, 2020 11:10 PM

R197, I too love Kelli! I wondered where she'd been the past couple of episodes. The bus scene was hilarious!

I was a bit concerned about Amanda Seales' character. I was hoping she wouldn't be killed off or something. There have been recent stories about how she was alleged treated at cast parties. Plus, she's announced she's leaving The Real.

by Anonymousreply 200June 16, 2020 3:26 PM

R200 - what were the stories about Amanda Seales? She's wonderful (and under-used) too! The Coachella episode -- which was such a great spotlight for both Kelli and Tiffany -- was my single favorite.

by Anonymousreply 201June 16, 2020 6:22 PM

Here's one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202June 16, 2020 7:33 PM

Here's a more recent one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203June 16, 2020 7:34 PM

SO. GOOD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204June 18, 2020 5:40 AM

LOL @ Cheddar Bae, R204!

by Anonymousreply 205June 18, 2020 3:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!