Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Data Lounge

We visit all the time, but how much do we really know about our beloved bitch site?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 7, 2020 7:25 PM

Did they archive the posted comment on those dates or just the editorial pages?

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2017 2:13 PM

R1 Comments as well. Just click on the Forum tab in the upper right corner of any editorial page.

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2017 2:18 PM

The 9/11 thread (and many older threads) were archived by Muriel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2017 2:21 PM

Aw jeez, I had forgotten the forums ever looked like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2017 2:22 PM

Look at the top post from the forums in November 2001: it's someone irritated at a troll posting incessantly on DL and other websites!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2017 2:23 PM

Some text, accompanying a (pretty extensive) survey:

[quote]As the US-led international coalition is poised on the brink of victory over the Taliban in Afghanistan, we ask how goes the war against terror at home.

December 2nd, 2001. Still there in 2017. Jesus wept.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2017 2:24 PM

Oh lord, look at the topics from December 2001:

Streisand

Jews and Israel

OLTL

Astrology

Words you hate

Christian Laettner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2017 2:26 PM

Last one, I promise: discussion of the word "lesbigay," which was briefly popular in the early 2000s. I brought this up on DL a few months ago and several people thought it was hilarious. Whelp, just scroll down and bask in the rant from "Disgusted" about how terrible the term is!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2017 2:29 PM

R3 I was just about to lament the fact that those threads were gone forever. That was a very admirable thing to do by the owner.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2017 2:30 PM

Datalpunge

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2017 2:36 PM

Damn, Mrs Patrick Campbell Erna was posting about fish back in 2001 in r5 capture. Some things never change.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2017 2:36 PM

Lol, R11. This is was what she wrote:

No Homeless Fish by: Mrs. Patrick Campbellt t 12/05/2001

Why are 99% of the homeless men, not fish? Because a hole will always find a home! The demand for fish is beyond comprehension -just look at the prices for fish in the 'massage' ads. And there is such an oversupply of them on top of it! It seems so un-natural.

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2017 2:44 PM

Only MPC would think that women are "lucky" for being too poor/oppressed to be able to get out of abusive domestic situations.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2017 4:54 PM

Datalounge?

It's a Russian asset.

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2019 7:52 PM

R14 has typed FAT since 2001.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2019 8:54 PM

[quote]Look at the top post from the forums in November 2001: it's someone irritated at a troll posting incessantly on DL and other websites!

I'll bet they'll be able to solve that problem in the next 15 years!

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2019 3:05 AM

If it ever goes away I'll kill myself! I will I will!!

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2019 3:27 AM

You know exactly as much as you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2019 4:07 AM

Can we bring these back?

[quote]Forum Guidelines:

[quote] The cardinal rule here is to respect others.

[quote] Racism and bigotry have no place here.

[quote] Please do not engage in personal attacks on other users.

[quote] The forums are not to be used as a commercial or promotional platform.

[quote] Multiple posts from a single user are subject to deletion.

[quote] PLEASE DON'T SHOUT. We can hear you just fine.

[quote] We reserve all rights related to the maintenance of our forum

by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2019 2:26 AM

I don't recall giving my permission to have my words enshrined forever like the Dead Sea Scrolls.

by Anonymousreply 20December 7, 2019 2:34 AM

I've never gotten over the loss of purple

by Anonymousreply 21December 7, 2019 2:36 AM

Greetings, Fellow Product @ R20. All your gay are belong to us.

by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2019 2:37 AM

r7, when was the last time we discussed Christian Laettner here? But otherwise your point is taken.

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2019 2:43 AM

[quote]Damn, Mrs Patrick Campbell Erna was posting about fish back in 2001 in [R5] capture.

Definitely a troll with staying power!

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2019 3:23 AM

[quote]2001 POST: Lesbigay ??????????? Who the heck came up with that name ?????????? That's just as bad as using separitist terms "lesbian and gay" If you are attracted to the same sex as yourself you are GAY - its that simple. Why separate us more than we are from each other ?

Lesbians wanted to be separate from gay men after the early days of the gay liberation movement because they were shit on in strategy meetings: women weren’t given significant leadership roles, were bossed and bulldozed by the men ... and were even expected to make the coffee and clean up. (Not sexist AT ALL!)

Eventually they were like, “Gurl, bye.”

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2019 6:31 AM

The thing I truly miss was politics and entertainment being separate entities.

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2019 6:36 AM

R25, speak for yourself, you humorless carpetsnag. Gay men are our brothers, have you relaxed lately? Don’t choke on your woke and forget our family history. Have you lived through the 80’s lately?

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2019 6:49 AM

[quote]R26 Gay men are our brothers, have you relaxed lately? Don’t choke on your woke and forget our family history.

That info about sexist treatment of lesbians by gay men - and the divide it created - comes from [italic]Making History: The Struggle for Gay and Lesbian Equal Rights : 1945-1990 : An Oral History[/italic] (1993), a collection of essays/memories by those who were there way before “the plague years”.

You’re surprised men, gay or straight, saw women as inferior in the 1950s, 60s and 70s?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2019 7:20 AM

I'd forgotten about our Christian Laettner troll!

by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2019 8:06 AM

[quote]Datalpunge

The bagle? Or sabotge?

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2019 8:08 AM

Who owns Datalounge? Is it true Muriel gets paid in stocks? Does this explain anything, a lot?

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2019 8:12 AM

r23 r29 I would not have minded reading about Christian Laettner, but the r7 link took me to nowhere. (What were we doing in a LOC archive in the first place?)

I was in a bar/restaurant last night, and the Duke basketball team was playing some less cute team. (Does Duke only hire cute basketball players?) I invariably think of Christian Laettner when I think of Duke. He was the star back when CBS would preempt our Magnificent Midwestern Marvels for its Moronic March Madness Miseria, and our stories were actually worth watching.

Duke: still hiring the attractiveness-advantaged after all these years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2019 8:26 AM

[quote]What were we doing in a LOC archive in the first place?

This was a well-known LGBT board once, one of the biggest gay forums around and with several important threads over the years, mostly the 9/11 thread. It was considered culturally important enough to save a small archive of it at the LOC. They saved a lot of early internet boards so Datalounge wasn't the only one, mind you.

You can still see trolls on that link at R7 but now Datalounge is all trolls and we've lost almost all the substance.

by Anonymousreply 33December 8, 2019 9:43 AM

We were a lot more naive and innocent back then. We trusted that, since this is an anonymous message board, posters would just leave all the stupid agenda (and sometimes - self loathing? - closet case) bullshit behind and just post about what they hate or love so much right now and be witty about it. The awareness of shills, fantards, alt-right / Russion bot / regular trolls changed that with their blatant attempts to control their narrative.

[quote] Multiple posts from a single user are subject to deletion.

Oh. Fuck! Never knew that one.

by Anonymousreply 34December 8, 2019 9:55 AM

R32, would you still?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 8, 2019 3:14 PM

Well, r35, I'm as much older now as he is, so probably yes. If Christian were suffused with the desire to share his dong with me, who would I be to refuse?

Are you one of those queens who think we stay 27 forever?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 8, 2019 3:21 PM

Well, r35, I'm as much older now as he is, so probably yes. If Christian were suffused with the desire to share his dong with me, who would I be to refuse?

Are you one of those queens who think we stay 27 forever?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 8, 2019 3:21 PM

I wasn't being judgemental, R36. I was legit asking. He's a bit older than me and I had a huge crush on him back when and I hadn't thought about him in a very long time until I saw his name pop up in this thread. Decided to google and I actually think he still looks pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 38December 8, 2019 3:26 PM

I grew up in a small town not far from Duke, and as part of his college experience he fulfilled an internship in either a local bank or law office, I forget. I do remember him being described as a complete asshole.

by Anonymousreply 39December 8, 2019 5:41 PM

Happy Holidays from Gap In-Store Playlists!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 8, 2019 5:42 PM

The Library of Congress?! We made it!

by Anonymousreply 41December 8, 2019 5:44 PM

Even Boris was trolling the forums back in 2001!

by Anonymousreply 42December 8, 2019 5:51 PM

Laettner was one of a string of white Duke players who were stars at the collegiate level and then went on to have less than stellar NBA careers. (JJ Reddick is another.)

Sports writers twist themselves into knots to avoid the obvious comparisons between them and players from urban backgrounds who often sign contracts right out of high school or after just a year of college (LeBron) both in terms of style of play and in the way they present themselves on and off the court.

Laettner was probably DL Famous because he would troll the media by holding hands with his teammates as he walked around the Duke campus which led to all sorts of rumors though Laettner and his friends thought it was a big joke.

He is still a good looking guy -- thanks for that bit of nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 43December 8, 2019 5:55 PM

bump for DL nostalgia

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2019 4:54 PM

I wish Muriel would clock in for another half hour ASK ME ANYTHING session. But it has to be announced in advance... big headlines, etc!!

by Anonymousreply 45December 9, 2019 5:01 PM

R45, I’m pretty sure the board is self-lubing, unless Muriel is in the mood to participate and then you see matrix-level shit (because this is Muriel’s toy).

by Anonymousreply 46December 10, 2019 3:31 AM

Right. I'm saying I saw a thread (if it was genuine) a few months ago where she logged on for a half an hour or something, and posters asked her questions about the site. Why THIS and why THAT, etc.

She answered all the questions and finally was like, "Y'all are beginning to bore me," and then the thread got closed[bold] : )

by Anonymousreply 47December 10, 2019 3:36 AM

Yeah, r47, I don’t look it in the eyes when it’s masturbating or taking a shit. Ears give it away every time. Then I run away. And revisit the wreckage at a safer time.

by Anonymousreply 48December 10, 2019 3:57 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 10, 2019 4:02 AM

Those were the days! *Edith Bunker voice*

by Anonymousreply 50December 10, 2019 3:23 PM

R5 has a thread "if you had an orgasm is it still rape"

and we JUST had the "was it rape rape" thread from someone......

Truly, plus ca change.......

by Anonymousreply 51December 10, 2019 3:48 PM

yyyyy

by Anonymousreply 52December 11, 2019 2:51 AM

zzzzz

by Anonymousreply 53December 11, 2019 3:41 AM

[quote]Why are vegan sisters so selfish with their delicious sulfur poo-poo? Discuss! Mrs. Patrick Campbell 29 11/04/2001 @ 09:04PM

by Anonymousreply 54December 11, 2019 4:18 AM

I miss the news portion. I thought it was more helpful and you could comment and debate. When they got rid of the news and gossip sections and just made it a single forum, i thought they lost something.

by Anonymousreply 55December 11, 2019 4:27 AM

I’m still relieved the ponies never kidnapped those poor actors.

by Anonymousreply 56December 11, 2019 4:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 8, 2020 2:17 AM

r31 That's a common mistake. She's paid in STOCKINGS. Apparently they hide the varicose veins better.

by Anonymousreply 58February 8, 2020 2:27 AM

R21 - it always amused me how similar it looked to Prince.org, which still has the same layout from 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 59February 8, 2020 4:26 PM

Interesting thread...

by Anonymousreply 60February 8, 2020 4:32 PM

It fucking sucks that we won’t get any more older threads (pre-2007) uploaded. I asked Muriel about it in the Q&A thread r45 mentioned and she seemed to imply that they still existed, but she didn’t feel like uploading them. I’ve hated the lazy bitch ever since.

by Anonymousreply 61February 8, 2020 5:27 PM

former Astor Library and Joseph Papp Public Theater at 425 Lafayette Street

Construction began in the 1850s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 18, 2020 3:29 AM

Wait...Someone actually runs this place?

by Anonymousreply 63May 18, 2020 3:40 AM

I'll have to check some of these out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 17, 2020 5:08 PM

I clicked on the favorite paintings thread and this goddamn thread shows up.

by Anonymousreply 65July 17, 2020 5:10 PM

"Those were the days......" *Edith Bunker voice*

by Anonymousreply 66July 17, 2020 5:12 PM

I blame Data Lounge and iPad for my tabbed browsing disability. I’m owed really good boots by some motherfucker.

Once upon a time, you could keep open multiple threads and refresh all at once - like being on the bottom of the internet’s toilet.

Now, I pre-emptively decide I’m done pronouncing judgement on a something and move on to prettier tabs.

by Anonymousreply 67July 17, 2020 6:13 PM

R43, you have no idea what you're talking about. Reddick has had an amazing career. Is he a hall of famer? No. But he's one the best pure shooters in the game and is a coveted player. Laettner burned out, but he did make an All-Star team. Please stick to things you know.

by Anonymousreply 68July 17, 2020 6:23 PM

What cunt brought sportsball into Data Lounge? None of those people suck dick or make good shoes.

by Anonymousreply 69July 17, 2020 7:37 PM

This Datalounge sounds interesting. How does one access it?

by Anonymousreply 70July 17, 2020 7:46 PM

Why can't I see my reply to this post?

by Anonymousreply 71August 6, 2020 8:39 PM

The Internet Archive has saved Datalounge as back as 1997. Too bad you can't save it anymore. I've tried to save a couple of the threads on things scrubbed off the Internet that Muriel later deleted and the real gossip still posted here and it would't save.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 6, 2020 8:51 PM

Here's the earliest page saved!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 6, 2020 8:55 PM

[quote]This Datalounge sounds interesting. How does one access it?

Your mother's basement.

by Anonymousreply 74August 6, 2020 10:18 PM

[quote]

This Datalounge sounds interesting. How does one access it? —Anonymous

First, go to your mailbox and get the AOL disc. Go to your desktop computer and put the disc in the drive. You will need to make sure your 28K dialup modem is set up so you can connect to this new thing called "the internet" in order to activate your account. Tada! You have opened up a whole new world!

by Anonymousreply 75August 6, 2020 10:23 PM

What the hell is even going on in r73's link? What the flying fuck is she talking about? Was she just blogging about her personal life or is the information somehow related to links and topics that we can no longer access?

In any case, the "Conversation pit" link still works as well, and it makes even less sense. It reads like a containment facility for drag queens with ADHD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 7, 2020 7:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!