Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Friends from College' - new series on Netflix

Fred Savage's character is gay.

I am going to start it tonight. Anybody else going to watch?

by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2019 11:57 AM

The show was watchable/ok. I've watched all 8 eps and there's not much gay to be had in it, unfortunately. There wasn't a single kiss/peck from Savage's character, if i remember correctly. How much "affection" were you expecting? I'm not sure if it's going to be a single season, but fingers crossed for season 2 and some actual queer scenes substance...

by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2017 6:16 AM

Isn't Fred Savage a flaming homophobe? Anything for a paycheck, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2017 6:24 AM

I watched the first episode and hated it. It was very boring. I suppose it doesn't help that I'm not a fan of Keegan Michael Key and Cobie Smulders.

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2017 6:29 AM

Thanks for the info r1 and r2. I am off work tomorrow so am going to watch a few episodes tonight. I just started the first episode and it looks like it will be more about the straight couples but I am usually a sucker for the old college buddy/Big Chill type of thing although I am with r2 and not big on those two either.

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2017 6:30 AM

I meant r3 not r2

by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2017 6:31 AM

OP, you should watch the 1970 movie "The Seacaucus Seven" - a precursor to "The Big Chill."

by Anonymousreply 6July 17, 2017 6:46 AM

r6 I tried but can't find it

by Anonymousreply 7July 17, 2017 6:51 AM

Watched the first episode and was not blown away. Didn't feel much gayness. Fred's partner (who is a fertility doctor) was in a scene and he's a bit of an ass. Much better is UK CRASHING which is quirky, funny and very well written.

by Anonymousreply 8July 17, 2017 7:13 AM

Keegan Michael Key is bugging me but I knew he would going in...

by Anonymousreply 9July 17, 2017 7:29 AM

R6 is referring to John Sayles's film "Return of the Secaucus 7" (1980).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 17, 2017 8:47 AM

Film clip...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 17, 2017 8:48 AM

Yes, I mistyped the date.

Thanks, r10 and r11.

It was on Criterion's streaming app FilmStruck just a few weeks ago, but it looks like they took it off.

by Anonymousreply 12July 17, 2017 9:26 AM

Couldn't get past the first scene with Keegan Michael Peele or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 13July 17, 2017 10:24 AM

Every character on this show is annoying but I made it through.

by Anonymousreply 14July 17, 2017 10:16 PM

It's laughably awful. It got pretty bad reviews, but I wanted to check it out for myself. Two episodes was enough. It's not "so bad it's good," but just bad. I've liked the entire cast in other projects they've done.

by Anonymousreply 15July 26, 2017 2:50 AM

I like Keegan. He's funny and cute. But the show isnt for me. It wants to be smarter than it really is.

by Anonymousreply 16July 26, 2017 3:45 AM

[quote]There wasn't a single kiss/peck from Savage's character, if i remember correctly.

So the gay guy isn't getting any? It's nice to see a show that's true to life.

by Anonymousreply 17July 26, 2017 6:39 AM

Ugh Keegan's acting is so punchable. Stop acting like your still locked in MADTV's basement.

by Anonymousreply 18July 26, 2017 7:03 AM

I watched about 3-4 episodes and never realized Fred and the doctor were together.

The show is the kind of soulless drivel I cannot stand. It wasn't even good as backround noise.

by Anonymousreply 19July 26, 2017 8:53 AM

Yeah...it's not really all that funny which is disappointing because on paper...it should be.

by Anonymousreply 20July 26, 2017 11:56 AM

R6, it's on Youtube. It's a strange version, it just appears in a little segment of the screen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2017 12:22 PM

Keegan is an entirely different show from the rest of the cast. He's playing broad sketch comedy, they're all playing single camera sitcom. It doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2017 12:53 PM

I can see that, R22. I think everyone is overacting. There's something very of about the the cadence. You can SEE the effort. It's very amateurish from actors who have generally done a lot better.

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2017 5:07 PM

Awful writing. Keegan is terrible and his character is thoroughly obnoxious. I was pleasantly surprised by Fred Savage, I thought he was good. And Billy Eichner was wonderful. I doubt this one will get a second season, though.

by Anonymousreply 24July 28, 2017 4:40 AM

[quote] Isn't Fred Savage a flaming homophobe?

R2, can you provide a link please? Or are you trolling?

by Anonymousreply 25July 28, 2017 4:48 AM

[quote]Awful writing. Keegan is terrible and his character is thoroughly obnoxious. I was pleasantly surprised by Fred Savage, I thought he was good. And Billy Eichner was wonderful. I doubt this one will get a second season, though.

Savage's character and the Asian friend were the only ones that I didn't hate by the end of the season. I liked Eichner in his minor role.

The writing was quite awful for several storylines especially the IVF storyline. I hated Keegan's character Ethan the most out of all the characters. There were a few times that the writers did show that Ethan was an obnoxious douchebag who thought he was above other people like in the wedding episode with Seth Rogen.

by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2017 5:34 AM

[quote]So the gay guy isn't getting any? It's nice to see a show that's true to life.

I agree that was one of the few things I liked about the show. I felt sorry for Max because you cold tell without the asshole friends he would be an ok guy.

by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2017 1:43 AM

Billy Eichner is great. Gay, gorgeous and seems like he's a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 28July 29, 2017 1:58 AM

^ Hi Billy!

by Anonymousreply 29July 29, 2017 2:50 AM

[quote]The show was watchable/ok. I've watched all 8 eps and there's not much gay to be had in it, unfortunately. There wasn't a single kiss/peck from Savage's character, if i remember correctly. How much "affection" were you expecting? I'm not sure if it's going to be a single season, but fingers crossed for season 2 and some actual queer scenes substance...

There wasn't any kissing with Savage's character. I think the writers included a gay guy and an Asian woman Marianne in addition to Keegan Michael Key's character for diversity reasons. But, they screwed up with the gay and Asian friend. The Asian friend didn't have any big storylines other than her knowing certain secrets about other characters. I did notice that the Asian friend and gay friend were the two friends that the others took advantage for certain reasons. At least at the end Marianne was started to see through some of the bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 30July 29, 2017 3:10 PM

The bunny storyline was stupid.

by Anonymousreply 31July 29, 2017 11:30 PM

I was surprised this show got a second season.

by Anonymousreply 32September 25, 2017 11:13 PM

It has now been cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2019 11:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!