Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alexa über alles

Despite the worst fears of DL's Luddite Brigade, it looks like Amazon's Alexa is here to stay and is rapidly becoming a major presence in the lives of people who are not single gay men over 50. (And no doubt plenty of that demographic too!)

Bonus Points: How many posts until someone claims that it listens to everything you say and that the government will use this against us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 23, 2018 5:35 PM

Yeah, Alexa. Whatever. And I don't carry a cell phone either.

by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2017 10:22 PM

What is it with people needing technical gadgets to help them figure stuff out? One solar flare and people starve to death because they don't know how to open doors to leave their homes and get food (or how to cook said food and use their appliances).

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2017 10:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2017 10:27 PM

[quote]How many posts until someone claims that it listens to everything you say and that the government will use this against us.

Didn't police show up for a confrontation at someone's house this weekend based on what they heard via Alexa from a TV in said home? It was an episode of Law & Order, not a crime in progress.

by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2017 10:38 PM

[quote]Didn't police show up for a confrontation at someone's house this weekend based on what they heard via Alexa from a TV in said home? It was an episode of Law & Order, not a crime in progress.

Yes, there was a recent story about the police arriving. The problem is that Alexa doesn't dial emergency services although Siri does.

So, there is actually a question of authenticity about the report, even the the police involved have stated it was called by Alexa.

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2017 10:41 PM

I think it was Siri, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6July 11, 2017 10:48 PM

I don't want anything listening to every word said in my home, no matter how easy it makes some small parts of my life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 11, 2017 10:50 PM

Single gay man over 50, and I love mine.

by Anonymousreply 8July 11, 2017 10:50 PM

Those damn horseless buggies!!! Who needs 'em I say!!

by Anonymousreply 9July 11, 2017 10:52 PM

When I first heard about these I thought it was a case of "surprise transgender". it seems like violence often breaks out.

Of course everyone wants a boy.

by Anonymousreply 10July 11, 2017 10:56 PM

Reminds me of the Kinect surveillance.

[quote]The Xbox One continuously records all sorts of personal information about me. My reaction rates, my learning or emotional states. These are then processed on an external server, and possibly even passed on to third parties. The fact that Microsoft could potentially spy on my living room is merely a twisted nightmare.”

[quote]It will also be able to read your facial expressions and count the people in the room with you (there are also talks of charging Pay-Per-View movies PER PERSON in the room).

We pay for the privilege to create content for businesses which they use at their own discretion (selling the data to third parties, etc.). And potentially against our own interest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 11, 2017 11:06 PM

[quote]When I first heard about these I thought it was a case of "surprise transgender".

"Siri" does sound kind of trans.

by Anonymousreply 12July 11, 2017 11:15 PM

I agree with r2.

People like r9 are lose their damn minds when for whatever reason their devices no longer work.

Can you read a printed map, r9? Do you know your best friend's phone number? How 'bout an analog watch? Own on? Can you write and read cursive English?

by Anonymousreply 13July 12, 2017 1:05 AM

[quote]Can you read a printed map, [R9]?

Yes. I love maps.

[quote] Do you know your best friend's phone number?

Yes

[quote] How 'bout an analog watch? Own on?

Several. But rarely wear them.

[quote] Can you write and read cursive English?

Of course. They do still teach that in school, lol

by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2017 1:10 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 12, 2017 1:14 AM

ITA with R10

by Anonymousreply 16July 12, 2017 1:15 AM

Am I missing something OP? I can't find a reference in the article to people over 50, gay or otherwise. Or Luddites for that matter.

Considering what local police have done with cell phone tracking technology and what we know about NSA surveillance techniques why does OP think the government won't attempt to gather this information?

We know the FBI went to a third party to buy the technology to unlock and iPhone. We also know the FBI has a history of spying on citizens. Those are just facts.

Personally I've accepted that I have some devices that the government might be collecting data from.

by Anonymousreply 17July 12, 2017 3:02 AM

Welcome to Datalounge, R17. Pro Tip: don't start threads about feces or farts because you'll be accused of being the Scat Troll.

by Anonymousreply 18July 12, 2017 3:04 AM

Amazon issued a teaser this week about the newest member of the family, the Fire TV Cube. It seems to be the Fire streaming device with stand-alone Alexa capabilities. When this comes out I'm trading my Roku in for one of these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2018 11:47 PM

Here's the leaked photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2018 11:48 PM

it listens to everything you say and that the government will use this against us.

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2018 11:48 PM

The Internet of Things will kill us all.

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2018 12:08 AM

My partner is a big technology fan, and he always has to have the latest gadgets. While I am not exactly an Amish person, I don’t really care about the latest technical invention.

From the light switches to security cameras and every exterior door, everything is connected to multiple technological deities in our house, Alexa just being one of them.

It’s practical at times, but I could do without Alexa and “the others”. I’m not even technologically savvy enough to complain about them by name.

by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2018 12:33 AM

I don't like the "smart home" idea. If everything is connected like that can't someone just hack their way into your home? Open your doors, turn off cameras...Maybe this hasn't happened yet, but it will.

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2018 12:43 AM

Between Prime video, Kindle, Alexa and regular shopping I have to laugh at how enmeshed I am in Amazon's ecosystem. It's all good though.

by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2018 1:11 AM

[quote]Bonus Points: How many posts until someone claims that it listens to everything you say and that the government will use this against us.

Exactly. Facebook has already proven how trustworthy companies are when they have access to information about their customers.

I mean, it's not like they'd do anything nefarious, no matter how legal under the current FCC and regulatory authorities, is it.

by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2018 2:15 AM

I wonder if the Winklevoss Twins would have been more ethical about this new world order. Bezos and Zuckerberg are cutthroat businessmen and sociopaths.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2018 2:20 AM

Eldergay, but I still don't get the reflexive techno-phobia of some people. If Amazon wants to sell the fascinating data of how often I use Alexa to set timers, play music and turn off a light, then let them have at it. It just doesn't strike me as important enough to fret about.

by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2018 11:07 AM

Or my selection of white noise (Thunderstorm Sounds, for the record) for when I'm falling asleep.

by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2018 2:53 PM

The new Echo Dot for Kids cracks me up, if for no other reason than it seems designed to annoy the alarmists and frau patrols. One can practically hear their cries: "But what about the CHILDREN?!" "Not with my BABY!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2018 4:47 PM

New updates for Echos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 26, 2018 12:14 AM

Amazon went big this week with new Alexa devices. I give them credit for working towards integrated home automation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 22, 2018 6:17 PM

This will all end in tears

by Anonymousreply 33September 22, 2018 6:21 PM

Indeed Alexa will rule over us all.

Human: Alexa get me ...

Alexa: Now listen to me, you little bitch! I don't listen to you and your stupid commands anymore. Give me what I want or I'll cancel your Netflix account and post your embarrassing naked selfie fails on your instagram account!

by Anonymousreply 34September 22, 2018 6:31 PM

Don't have one, never will.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 22, 2018 9:23 PM

The new microwave is intriguing and very reasonably priced ($60) but they only offer a countertop model, and some of us need built-ins.

I put myself on the "invitation" list for the Alexa Auto.

by Anonymousreply 36September 22, 2018 11:20 PM

Some people should watch "Colossus, The Forbin Project".

by Anonymousreply 37September 22, 2018 11:40 PM

R36, I'm not quite sure I understand the functionality of Alexa Auto, especially since it connects by your phone.

by Anonymousreply 38September 23, 2018 11:49 AM

r38 I'm not really sure either. I guess it's because it's a dash-mounted device so you don't need to have your phone out. Sort of like Android Auto or Apple Car Play? I'm not going to actually buy one until I figure it out. I just got an new car with Anrdroid Auto and that seems to serve most of my needs.

by Anonymousreply 39September 23, 2018 5:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!