Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Showtime Bringing Back - THE L WORD

Jennifer Beals (Bette), Kate Moennig (Shane), and Leisha Hailey (Alice) are the first to sign-on.

Excited that it is coming back?

by Anonymousreply 79February 4, 2019 4:22 PM

LOL ... I love that the poll results are a resounding "NO"

Showtime must be grasping for anything in the wake of the Twin Peaks flop.

Perhaps something new and creative?

by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2017 8:23 PM

The world DEMANDS an answer to the riddle of Jenny's death

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2017 9:04 PM

I watched the show back then, but I wonder why they've decided to bring it back.

by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2017 9:07 PM

Vivian Vance

by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2017 9:09 PM

Yes - I need a lesbian drama series.

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2017 9:15 PM

I would love to see the originals in another lesbian show that's not structured on the L Word format.

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2017 4:45 AM

Dorothy Snarker who did the TERRIFIC AfterEllen recaps of the original series wrote a depressing column. If they take her advice the reboot will be disaster.

[quote] Reflecting a wider diversity of the lesbian, bisexual, non-binary and queer women’s community is just as essential. During its original run, the show was criticized, and rightfully so, for portraying a largely white and largely femme and largely upper-class segment of the gay women. That can’t happen in the sequel if it is meant to feel in any way authentic.

[quote] Third, instead of getting sidetracked by soapy circus sideshows (aka basically anything to do with Jenny Schecter), the new L Word should delve deeply into what it’s like today to be a queer woman talking, laughing, loving, breathing, fighting — well, you know the rest of the song.

[quote] Series stars Jennifer Beals, Kate Moennig and Leisha Hailey will reportedly executive produce and appear in the sequel — which will no doubt be applauded because their characters were among the most loved/lusted after. But any new additions should include more women of color, women from various economic strata and women who represent the fuller spectrum of sexuality, identities, body types and gender fluidity. That’s what most queer women see when they look out into their social circles, and that’s what should be reflected on TV.

----------------------------------

That is to say forget entertainment and do tranny polemics instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2017 4:46 AM

Really? They fucked it up the first time around. And why not a QAF reboot/spinoff?

by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2017 4:48 AM

I don't think they even have a script. They'll shoot a pilot first, if even that.

The strange thing about the original show was that none of these women could act. I mean, when Jennifer Beals is your strongest performer what does that say about the rest.

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2017 4:49 AM

Because R8, the creator of The L-Word is Power Lesbian Ilene Chaiken,, who is currently showrunner on Empire and also behind Handmaid's Tale.

She's got the chops to make it happen.

IIRC, the two old queens who did QAF are retired now and don't have Chaiken's clout.

That said, it would be a smart move for Showtime.

by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2017 4:53 AM

Television is no longer about entertainment. It is about minutely reflecting a society that exists solely in the misguided imagination of the PC mob. And Heaven help those who don't!

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2017 4:53 AM

[quote]Yes - I need a lesbian drama series.

A lesbian drama series sounds great. But not THIS one.

by Anonymousreply 12July 12, 2017 5:44 AM

R11 that is what I fear about this reboot. Why does every show have to include fucking everyone? I hope they don't allow the tumblrtards to influence it. Lez show is always welcome.

by Anonymousreply 13July 12, 2017 5:46 AM

Just don't bring back Betty. Worst theme song ever.

by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2017 5:56 AM

The Sense8 tranny is currently unemployed and available.

Lesbian sex scenes should now include things like cock sucking and Adam's apple licking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 12, 2017 5:57 AM

R15 ewww that's gross.

by Anonymousreply 16July 12, 2017 5:58 AM

So maybe we can expect an all-male cast.

by Anonymousreply 17July 12, 2017 6:11 AM

The show sucked the first time. Horrible writing. Annoying characters. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 18July 12, 2017 6:14 AM

Fucking racist Trump-loving white trash in this thread. I hope they do EXACTLY what R7 doesn't want. Fuck you racist shitheads.

by Anonymousreply 19July 12, 2017 6:16 AM

Remember in Season 1 Alice (then bisexual) was dating a male lesbian and it was considered BS? That dude will be a real and earnest woman, and s lead to boot.

by Anonymousreply 20July 12, 2017 6:44 AM

I remember r20. One of many stupid storylines.

by Anonymousreply 21July 12, 2017 6:45 AM

The thing I liked best were the precredit scenes of lesbians throughout history. Then they stopped them.

It will be very boring without psycho Jenny. Her insane storylines were at least storylines. I mean, who gave a fuck about Helena's and Kit's new club?

I hope whichever trans actors they cast will actually be great actors, unlike a mediocrity like Laverne Cox who is a terrible actress but gets props for passing, or some social media celebrity like Cherno Biko.

by Anonymousreply 22July 12, 2017 7:08 AM

The old name for LATAM.

by Anonymousreply 23July 12, 2017 7:10 AM

No one could be worse than Daniela Sea, not even Laverne Cox.

by Anonymousreply 24July 12, 2017 7:10 AM

[quote] Laverne Cox who is a terrible actress but gets props for passing,

You're half-right. Laverne Cox is a terrible actor, but just looks like a big black male in a blonde wig. Definitely not passable for a female, and laughable if cast as an actual lesbian.

Now that his CBS show with Katherine H has been cancelled, he should have some free time on his schedule if Showtime is interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 12, 2017 7:45 AM

The only one I liked was Dana and they killed her so fuck this shit.

by Anonymousreply 26July 12, 2017 8:01 AM

I liked the show. It was fun in a over-dramatised way. Kind of like Melrose Place for lesbians. It actually meant a lot to me at the time because I was a young lesbian in a shitty situation.

But I'm almost certain they'll ruin it by making it (and the characters) "queer" now that it's no longer OK to be a lesbian..

by Anonymousreply 27July 12, 2017 9:46 AM

I agree with R27--yes, it was over the top and the writers sloppy at times, but it was all in good fun. I would not like to see it turn into the T Word.

by Anonymousreply 28July 12, 2017 7:32 PM

Bring back [italic]Noah's Arc[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 29July 12, 2017 7:36 PM

by Anonymousreply 30July 12, 2017 7:36 PM

by Anonymousreply 31July 12, 2017 7:36 PM

Noah's Arc was a fabulous show.

by Anonymousreply 32July 12, 2017 8:16 PM

it was trashy, LA, fun but the last season - the one about Jenny's murder - was an abomination. really one of the worst messes i've ever seen on tv.

by Anonymousreply 33July 12, 2017 8:35 PM

They should write a new role for the fabulous actress who played Dana (so fabulous I can't remember her name). She was great. I always found the show to be very diverse: white, black,latina, mixed race, transgender, deaf, young and hot, old and not so hot (Holland Taylor), aging but used to be hot (Cybill Shephard), aging, straight and still hot (Miss Pam Grier). And, even an occasional man. Sometimes even a pregnant man. The first season was great. Second season sucked. Third season was good but they fucked up by killing Dana. Then Jenny went off the deep end and it got messy. But, strangely enough, like QAF the supposedly hot piece who everyone wanted to fuck was not really all that hot (Gale Harrold and Kate Moening).

by Anonymousreply 34July 12, 2017 8:36 PM

Dunno R34, I thought they were both pretty hot. And lord knows there are enough obsessed fraus who still moon over Harold.

Oddly enough Gale Harold and Leisha Hailey starred in a horror movie together a few years back.

They both still looked good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 12, 2017 8:46 PM

I don't live on the island of LESBOS so I'm not excited at all.

by Anonymousreply 36July 12, 2017 9:21 PM

One more example that Hollywood is void of creativity. They have nothing so we get 537 generations of Pirates of the Carribbean and Transformers. We get remakes of movies and tv shows. We get 75,000 incarnations of Spider Man. At this point in time, I don't know why anyone over the age of 18 would pay to see a movie.

by Anonymousreply 37July 12, 2017 9:26 PM

Jenny was the worst. I never got the Dana love. I also didn't get the Tina/Bette obsession.

by Anonymousreply 38July 12, 2017 11:52 PM

The Tina/Bette obsession was because Jennifer Beals is hot.

Katherine Moennig was a patrician beauty underneath the Pete Wentz styling. She looked like a young Jimmy Page.

Little Anjelica will be a cute biracial teen by now. Probably gender neutral or a conservative Christian.

I liked Dallas Roberts, the manny. And Wallace Shawn!

This show needs a hard butch.

by Anonymousreply 39July 13, 2017 2:03 AM

[quote] This show needs a hard butch.

Hell no

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 13, 2017 2:10 AM

I would love to see the Peabodies' return. Actually, I liked the secondary characters more than the originals: Jane Lynch and Shepherd, Marlee Matlin (loved watching Jennifer Bealls fight in sign language with her), Denbo would have been hilarious if better written.

Never understood the appeal of Dana or Jenny.

by Anonymousreply 41July 13, 2017 3:24 AM

Why not just create a new series with fresh original ideas and charac-- oh nevermind.

by Anonymousreply 42July 13, 2017 3:29 AM

R42, well, it's hard to get the backing for new lesbian shows. L Word has a successful brand, zealous fans who will watch/buy anything associated with the show.

by Anonymousreply 43July 13, 2017 3:31 AM

Loved "The L Word." Excited for it to come back. Lesbian characters can be viable and interesting in late middle-age. QAF could never come back because nobody cares about gay guys after they are over 45. The world has changed too much for a QAF reboot with new cast in modern times.

by Anonymousreply 44July 13, 2017 3:34 AM

I abree with R44 regarding QAF, but mostly with the characters and the narrarative. Its like the show was written by a gay dude who was in his prime in the early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 45July 13, 2017 3:55 AM

Beals isn't hot. Shane isn't either. I can't imagine what a reboot would add. The original was so badly written.

by Anonymousreply 46July 13, 2017 4:02 AM

I'm hoping no trans lesbians with dicks are featured. Let the trans create their own show 'The T Word' in which the t badger cis people for not wanting to fuck them

by Anonymousreply 47July 13, 2017 4:30 AM

Why bring it back though? The original boasted some of the very worst actresses ever (Daniela Sea & Mrs Jodie Foster aka Alex Hedison). Not to mention the shitty music from Betty.

by Anonymousreply 48July 13, 2017 4:36 AM

No accounting for tastes, of course, but I think most people (certainly, the lesbos) agreed that Bealls and Hedison (separately) were uber hot.

by Anonymousreply 49July 13, 2017 4:39 AM

Lezzies LOVED Jennifer Beals.

by Anonymousreply 50July 13, 2017 4:48 AM

What was not to love? She's freaking hot. Even now.

R49

by Anonymousreply 51July 13, 2017 4:51 AM

Chaiken is such a hack. This will be dire.

by Anonymousreply 52July 13, 2017 5:34 AM

[quote]but I think most people (certainly, the lesbos) agreed that Bealls and Hedison (separately) were uber hot.

Beals is a beautiful woman, although a lousy actress, but the Hollywood-pass-around-lesbian Hedison (I learned that on DL, if I may add). She's got a man face thing going on.

by Anonymousreply 53July 13, 2017 6:07 AM

[quote] Hedison (I learned that on DL, if I may add). She's got a man face thing going on.

The funny thing about that is it's partially true and partially false.

When I watched her first L Word episode I was laughing at loud how her appearance would change depending on the camera angle. She doesn't qualify as a beauty contestant but would appear as a reasonably handsome woman, then moments later the camera would shift and it was just like seeing her father David Hedison in drag.

What actually was setting me off was thinking of that old Seinfeld episode where he was dating a woman who in one light was a beauty, and moments later in another light looked like Mr Hyde.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 13, 2017 6:48 AM

Um no, Alex Hedison doesn't qualify as "uber hot", she looks like a dude. As does fugly Kate Moennig (sp).

by Anonymousreply 55July 13, 2017 7:50 AM

I think they should shoot it in NYC. Bette and Tina moved to NYC in the last season. So just take them and bring about some NY lezzies. Some park slope drama. You can have Bette in her gallery and Tina raising the kiddo and doing I don't know what but something. Bring on some new gals.

by Anonymousreply 56July 13, 2017 9:32 AM

[quote] Its like the show was written by a gay dude who was in his prime in the early 80s.

Not "like" R45, it was in fact written by two gay dudes (a couple whose relationship allegedly mirrored the twink/slut relationship on the show) who were Eldergays back in 2000 when the show debuted and based it on their experience of gay life in the 80s. One reason the show resonated more with fraus than with gays.

One thing I liked about it was that most of the characters were masculine regular guys, not the parodies you saw on Will and Grace or now on Modern Family.

Which is surprising in that I recently saw an interview with one of the creators and he was talking about how when he was younger he had a friend who was so femme he was embarrassed to be around him. The funny thing was the creator himself was so flames-from-space himself so I was not sure how someone could be that much gayer as to embarrass him. Self-awareness and all that.

by Anonymousreply 57July 13, 2017 11:19 AM

there was a guy on the L word who i found very hot. He played Marlee Matlin's intepreter. He looks like a silver Jude Law.

by Anonymousreply 58July 13, 2017 8:11 PM

R58, Jon Wolfe Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 59July 13, 2017 8:49 PM

I never watched the show, did Jennifer Beals eat puss?

by Anonymousreply 60July 13, 2017 9:27 PM

The plots were terrible, the acting was worse, I watched a few episodes, then stopped. If the DL lesbians want to see a better (but still not great) lesbian drama series looks like, watch Lip Service.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 13, 2017 9:41 PM

Was there ever any man/man sex on this show? There were plenty of lesbian sex scenes on QAF...

by Anonymousreply 62July 13, 2017 9:53 PM

I watched the season 3 finale with my lesbian friends at a huge female gathering in a WeHo club. I was one of a handful of men there. Lesbian women LOVED the show and identified with its characters. They are not like us fickle gay dudes who can't wait to tear down every representation we see of ourselves onscreen. "L Word" has a built-in, appreciative audience.

by Anonymousreply 63July 13, 2017 11:20 PM

Me and my friends didn't love the show. Beals is overrated.

by Anonymousreply 64July 14, 2017 3:32 AM

I love the idea of moving it to NYC. Of course they'd probably shoot it in Canada but still.......

by Anonymousreply 65July 14, 2017 3:37 AM

I love Alice.

by Anonymousreply 66July 14, 2017 3:43 AM

They must include a queer couple with a lesbian and a pansexual/fluid male. Opposite sex is the new same-sex!

by Anonymousreply 67July 14, 2017 3:49 AM

Beals said they were currently "listening to pitches", which means there's no writer or script attached. This may never even happen.

by Anonymousreply 68July 14, 2017 4:21 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 69June 20, 2018 5:45 PM

I guess it won't get off the ground. Showtime have been knowing that a show like The L Word has already passed its peak.

by Anonymousreply 70June 24, 2018 5:39 PM

My cable company offered me a month of Showtime for free. I checked out what's on there and turned them down. This would not have made me change my mind. The only thing I ever liked on ST was Weeds and then Nurse Betty and didn't like either too much by the end of the series.

by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2018 6:02 PM

I liked Helena.

by Anonymousreply 72June 25, 2018 12:42 AM

Some reboots never get off the ground (Coach, Married...With Children).

by Anonymousreply 73June 25, 2018 3:29 AM

I miss Alice.

by Anonymousreply 74June 25, 2018 3:31 AM

I'd LOVE a show based on the Michfest lezzies.

by Anonymousreply 75June 25, 2018 3:36 AM

If it gets off the ground it will be trans heavy. The actress’ who played Alice and Shane, and are producing the reboot, are SJWs for trans.

by Anonymousreply 76June 25, 2018 5:59 AM

The reboot will probably be even worse than the original. I hated Jenny. I didn’t understand why people were into Shane or Bette.

by Anonymousreply 77June 26, 2018 12:09 AM

The reboot is not being written by Chaiken but a younger lesbian who is also the show runner so it should be ok. I’m looking forward to it. Most of the negative posts here are from gay guys who wouldn’t appreciate all the drama that is specific to women anyway.

by Anonymousreply 78February 4, 2019 2:53 PM

Ugh, Alice. Her voice and face bugged the shit outta me.

by Anonymousreply 79February 4, 2019 4:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!