Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Hush", a.k.a. "Kilronan", (1998) starring Jessica Lange

Such a glorious campfest. I do prefer the original title and the director's cut, in which Lange nearly kills GOOP with a broken shard of mirror before perishing in a fire.

Apparently, "test audiences" thought the ending to harsh on GOOP (as if!).

When will they finally release this cut!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 10, 2020 4:19 PM

Horrible movie, possibly GOOP's worst.

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2017 4:04 PM

Lange was glorious, though. Even Ebert thought so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2017 4:07 PM

R2 This equals 'glorious'?

"The film's most intriguing element is the performance by Jessica Lange, who by not going over the top provides Martha with a little pathos to leaven the psychopathology. That side of her doesn't seem consistent with her demented behavior at a crucial moment, but then consistency is not the film's strong point."

by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2017 4:14 PM

Saw this in the theaters because I had a crush on Johnathon Schaech (WEHT him?) at the time.

This movie is so underrated as a camp classic. It should be right up there with Mommie Dearest. Jessica Lange was a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2017 4:15 PM

R3 Hey, Roger was very hard to please.

That was a goddamn rave!

by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2017 4:16 PM

R4 Scheach was on Andy Cohen's homemade "then and now" clip show on Bravo. Cohen asked him if he was really paid to be Ellen DeGeneres's beard and he said yes. Cohen asked why. Scheach said because they asked him to. Good ol' Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2017 4:17 PM

R6 That is insane.

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2017 4:18 PM

I had no idea there was a director's cut.

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2017 4:20 PM

R7 He's kind of disgusting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2017 4:22 PM

Even John prefers "Kilronan".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2017 4:22 PM

I saw a test screening of Kilronan, and it had a satisfying Mrs. Danver-style end for the villainous Martha Baring (Lange). Her beloved son finally realize what a sociopath his mother is and rejects her. Desperate, she takes her newborn grandchild to the carriage house, which goes up in flames (I don't remember if it was deliberate, probably was), and Goop comes along, has one last battle with Lange, and saves the day.

Years later, I finally see Hush on television and I was stunned and disappointed that it ended the way it did. Absolutely no climactic finale.

by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2017 4:39 PM

R11 That ending sounds amazing.

by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2017 4:40 PM

Johnathan could get it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2017 4:45 PM

R13 he was everything in his youth.

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2017 4:47 PM

R13 Please don't say "can get it." Andy Cohen says it incessantly and has ruined it for me.

by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2017 4:49 PM

I thought he was gay

by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2017 6:07 PM

Ok the clip at R9 is trully gross. He seems sleazy and herpes-ridden and leave it to Andy's sexist ass to congradulate him on being a womanizing hoe.

by Anonymousreply 17July 9, 2017 6:33 PM

R17 Right. Imagine if it had been Andy Cohen on the bus with Trump instead of Billy Bush. He'd be giggling and encourage Trump to be even rapier.

by Anonymousreply 18July 9, 2017 6:37 PM

R9 Yep. Will it ever see the light of day?

by Anonymousreply 19July 9, 2017 7:15 PM

He is easy on the eyes r13.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2017 7:29 PM

Terrible movie, but worth fast-forwarding to the hose scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2017 7:30 PM

Love.

by Anonymousreply 22July 10, 2017 1:58 AM

Wow, never knew there was an alternate cut of this, though Kilronan sounds like a Samurai movie. It's trashy fun but doesn't quite rise to the camp level of Mommie Dearest or Valley of the Dolls. I wonder if Scream Factory could find the original cut and release a special edition.

by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2017 2:09 AM

Jhohnxathonn Schchaechch still has a great body, but his face has dropped considerably and his greased back Donald Trump, Jr. hair is the worst.

Andy Cohen (his strabismal eye frantically wandering all over the place like Mad-Eye Moody's) is ridiculous, salivating over the straight guy sleeping with so many women. And he's in his fifties! What a fucking loser.

by Anonymousreply 24July 10, 2017 2:17 AM

Schaech's boasting of whom he fucked 20 years ago is pretty pathetic, too. He's like a latter-day Tony Curtis: "Hey Walter, I fucked Yvonne DeCarlo!"

by Anonymousreply 25July 10, 2017 2:19 AM

Give up Lange Loon

by Anonymousreply 26July 10, 2017 2:20 AM

So deliciously campy. Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 27July 10, 2017 2:24 AM

Gay Classic

by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2020 7:15 PM

What does Kiloran mean? Sounds Japanese. Horrible confusing title.

by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2020 7:43 PM

I think Kilronan was the name of the farm Lange's character owned. It's been years since I've watched it, so I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2020 8:00 PM

R30 you’re correct

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2020 8:08 PM

[quote] I saw a test screening of Kilronan, and it had a satisfying Mrs. Danver-style end for the villainous Martha Baring (Lange). Her beloved son finally realize what a sociopath his mother is and rejects her. Desperate, she takes her newborn grandchild to the carriage house, which goes up in flames (I don't remember if it was deliberate, probably was), and Goop comes along, has one last battle with Lange, and saves the day.

[quote]Years later, I finally see Hush on television and I was stunned and disappointed that it ended the way it did. Absolutely no climactic finale.

Goop, with her eyes firmly set on that Oscar, ruined this for us! We missed out on the best parts of “Kilronan” (a title I actually prefer): Martha truly terrorizing her, slapping her up, and trying to stab her in a burning barn.

Oh, what could have been!

by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2020 9:15 PM

Some of the original flaming ending is in the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2020 9:29 PM

Hush was one of the first movies i checked out on Netflix. Felt like Jessica Lange was in an entirely different movie.

by Anonymousreply 34December 8, 2020 3:16 AM

How are we 35 replies in without any mention of Nina Foch???!?!?

Let's start a GoFundMe to get this rereleased through the Criterion Collection.

by Anonymousreply 35December 8, 2020 3:24 AM

Schaech was stunning just a few years ago. My god, age is the worst for the pretty boys.

by Anonymousreply 36December 8, 2020 3:29 AM

Jessica channels Martha in her seasons on American Horror Story. That breathy, cuntiness is very prevalent.

by Anonymousreply 37December 8, 2020 3:30 AM

In this trailer one can find glimpses of the "lost" footage . . . Kilronan in flames, Gwyneth and Jessica physically attacking each other, etc. IIRC at least some of the part with Jessica in the confessional is different in the released movie as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 8, 2020 3:31 AM

R38, that trailer is so 90s! I saw the movie in the theatre, but haven't seen it since then.

by Anonymousreply 39December 8, 2020 3:43 AM

That director never directed anything again. The film had a disastrous shoot and the reviews were abysmal.

Lange was a blast, as usual.

by Anonymousreply 40December 8, 2020 3:45 AM

Schaech didn’t have much talent as an actor. His other major role was as a hunk in a Speedo in that Winona Ryder movie. And he made a pseudo risqué film with Greg Araki. Then was completely upstaged by everybody else in that Tom Hanks film.

He certainly doesn’t look anything like what one would think of as Jessica Lange’s son.

What would’ve been a role for him? Did he ever have any chance at stardom? Seemed to do best at still photography, body shots.

by Anonymousreply 41December 8, 2020 3:48 AM

Matt, you are really reaching for the dregs. No wonder Jessica’s movie career was a bust. No one cares about these old crappy movies she made.

by Anonymousreply 42December 8, 2020 3:53 AM

I want to see Lange slap Goop, aka vaginal egg, and try to stab her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 8, 2020 4:25 AM

[quote] Schaech was stunning just a few years ago. My god, age is the worst for the pretty boys.

??? He hasn't been stunning for over 20 years. He certainly was stunning in his heyday. I used to feel sorry for him because I've heard from a reliable source that Christina Applegate is a real bitch -- although she's very talented so she kind of gets a pass.

But that clip of him with Andy Cohen bragging about 25 year old trists with those legendarily ravenous sluts of Hollywood -- like is there ANY vaguely heterosexual guy who was even mildly famous in the 90s that did not fuck Madonna, Pamela Anderson, Heather Locklear and Sharon Stone?

What a loser...

by Anonymousreply 44December 8, 2020 4:30 AM

Scaech was at his peak in Poison Ivy 2. The ass eating didn't hurt either.

by Anonymousreply 45December 8, 2020 5:46 AM

The movie is ridiculous but Schaech was haf and “Mama” Lange hosing him off was a bit of sexy camp heaven in the 90s, believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 46December 8, 2020 5:51 AM

Mama Lange is so good in this.

“Oh, Mahtha, hmph. Mahtha, Mahtha, Mahtha.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 8, 2020 8:13 AM

This film also subjected us to a view of Goop's arse. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 48December 8, 2020 10:54 AM

R48 It is supposed to be a suspense/thriller/horror.

by Anonymousreply 49December 8, 2020 5:42 PM

I remember being so excited about going to see this, but now all I remember is Goop's horrendous wig in the scenes at the end. She'd obviously lost a lot of weight and cut her hair before she was summoned back for reshoots. Just awful.

by Anonymousreply 50December 8, 2020 8:22 PM

This is the screenplay Gwyneth stole from Winona Ryder

by Anonymousreply 51December 8, 2020 8:27 PM

R50- correct- she already had short hair for Sliding Doors or A Perfect Murder

by Anonymousreply 52December 8, 2020 10:09 PM

R51 Winnie dropped out to do another movie. Goop stole Shakespeare in Love.

by Anonymousreply 53December 8, 2020 10:11 PM

Holy shit- they did the reshoots 2 years after original filming completed in spring of 1996!! Her hair was short for Sliding Doors-

by Anonymousreply 54December 8, 2020 10:14 PM

Schaech was stunning just a few years ago. My god, age is the worst for the pretty boys.

I thought I recognized him; he was the jerky lead singer in "That Thing You Do!"

by Anonymousreply 55December 8, 2020 10:24 PM

When I watched it I kept thinking why Lange was interested in this part. It's so melodramatic. I still loved her in this and even though her character was evil, I couldn't help feeling sorry for her when she's sitting on the kitchen floor and crying at the end, realizing she's lost her son.

by Anonymousreply 56December 8, 2020 11:15 PM

R56 I think Jessica wasn’t getting a ton of offers even after the Oscar in 1995 and just accepted for the cash. She’s gone on record as saying she hadn’t worked for awhile when she accepted Losing Isaiah. She hated that film, and probably feels the same about Hush. Just a paycheck film.

by Anonymousreply 57December 9, 2020 4:31 PM

How did she feel about Rob Roy?

by Anonymousreply 58December 9, 2020 4:36 PM

R57 Bitch is so wrong about “Losing Isaiah,” as she is about “Everybody’s All-American”. Both films are excellent and feature great performances- especially IA - by her: she and Berry were incandescent and should have been nominated.

Lange has called “Hush” “a piece of shit” but I think she liked the original version of the film or she wouldn’t have done it. From the looks of it, “Kilronan” definitely seemed interesting and she was playing something she’d never played before: a psychotic murderer.

Lange got steady enough work after the Oscar and as a lead, too: “Rob Roy” (shot before the win and containing another sublime performance by her; the whole cast was exceptional), “A Streetcar Named Desire” (Golden Globe win for Lange for an an EXCELLENT Lange) “Kilronan” (shot in 96), “A Thousand Acres” (Golden Globe nod for Lange; she and Pfeiffer are luminous), “Cousin Bette” (so. fucking. underrated.), “Titus” (along with “Blue Sky,” her crown jewel of the 90s and a performance she should have won Supporting for or at least been nominated).

by Anonymousreply 59December 9, 2020 4:43 PM

R58 She loves “Rob Roy.” It “dropped in [her] lap like a dream,” as did “Titus.” Both films had other actresses who dropped out and Lange was chosen second. They really showcase her power and versatility and are excellent films in their own right. She should’ve been nominated in Supporting for both.

by Anonymousreply 60December 9, 2020 4:46 PM

R59 she did a few things but maybe was trying to build up her cash reservoir. Sam Shepard was working, but maybe they were trying to buy an expensive house or something. Anyway, that would explain the Hush issue, that she preferred an earlier version of the script.

by Anonymousreply 61December 9, 2020 8:22 PM

Everything you listed is crap = retirement

by Anonymousreply 62December 9, 2020 8:35 PM

R62 G, you must stop taking out your anger out on others regarding “Hillbilly Eulogy.” I know it flopping hurts but I will not have you deride one of my favorite actresses and favorite peer.

In other news, I mentioned J (I know, again!) in my interview today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 9, 2020 9:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 9, 2020 9:33 PM

I'd love to see the original ending. It sounds way more exciting than the crap we got in the theatrical version. I can't even remember how it ended except that it was pitiful and not at all climactic. It's one of those movies that should have been campy fun, but the script never really goes off the rails enough for that to happen. It felt like a pleasant, safe Lifetime movie that happened to get big studio funding and a great cast. Other similar movies like The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, Single White Female, and Fatal Attraction had a few WTF moments of insanity that the audience left remembering. Hush never did.

There's another movie from around that era called The Temp whose real ending has never been uncovered, but it apparently involved Faye Dunaway as the psychotic murderer and I wish they'd find that ending and re-release that film, too.

by Anonymousreply 65December 9, 2020 10:06 PM

[quote][Hush]never really goes off the rails enough for that to happen.

It’s maddening to know that it indeed DID go “off the rails” but vaginal egg had to be given a more heroic and grand-standing ending.

It makes no sense that the studio thought, “Oh, let’s replace this thrilling ending in a burning barn with Jessica Lange and Gwyneth Paltrow fighting, and Lange trying to stab her, with a monologue and reveal by Paltrow.” Like WTF?

That was all Goop and Weinstein’s influence. It was the year of “Shakespeare in Love.”

Other scenes were removed from the film, too. To whomever saw the test screening, is it true that Martha fucks the handyman she sends to assault Paltrow’s character?

by Anonymousreply 66December 9, 2020 10:13 PM

R57 why does Jessica hate Losing Isaiah?

by Anonymousreply 67December 9, 2020 11:54 PM

R67 She couldn’t stand the director, aka Maggie and Jake Gyllenhaal’s father.

I wonder if J registered that this was his daughter during this roundtable. The way she subtly defends and compliments Viola is everything, though.

I don’t think Maggie meant Viola any harm, but you can tell she got slightly defensive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 9, 2020 11:58 PM

R67 plus she hated the script and the cop out ending. Even after the Halle Berry character cleaned up her act, I couldn’t stand her and the Samuel L Jackson lawyer was a prick.

by Anonymousreply 69December 10, 2020 12:33 AM

R69 She didn’t hate the script but she did think the ending was a “cop out,” which I disagree with. I think the ending is beautiful and the quote from the book of Isaiah fits perfectly.

“...and a little child shall lead them.”

by Anonymousreply 70December 10, 2020 12:39 AM

Does Jessica lie in bed all day?

by Anonymousreply 71December 10, 2020 1:33 AM

R71 La perra pasa todo su tiempo fotografiando.

La cabrona!

by Anonymousreply 72December 10, 2020 1:36 AM

I didn't know Maggie's father directed Losing Isaiah. And i remember liking the ending. It's one of Halle's better movies.

by Anonymousreply 73December 10, 2020 4:40 AM

R7 Yep. And I agree. Both Berry and Lange are fantastic. Their two major scenes together are electric. Again, both should’ve been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 74December 10, 2020 4:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!