Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Neighbours actor who plays gay character: 'He acts straight and acts normal': Soap star slammed for his choice of words

Neighbours star Matt Wilson, who plays a gay character on the Australian soap, says he ‘acts straight and acts normal’. During an appearance on Channel 5’s The Wright Stuff, the straight actor was criticized for his comments on how he described his role. He said: ‘There are a lot of people who think you should have a gay actor playing a gay character, but that’s like saying you should get someone in a wheelchair to play a character in a wheelchair. ‘I think it’s important that we are expressing it. We specifically designed the character to act straight and act normal. ‘When I say “normal”, I mean he’s not like the characters on Modern Family, where they are flamboyant and camp and they walk around tiptoeing. ‘That creates separation – that’s us and them. It shouldn’t be like that. It should be all equal and no-one should have a problem with that. The way other characters act around my character is that there is never a problem at all.’ Many called Wilson out on his language. Apologizing, Wilson said on Twitter: ‘Choice of words wasn’t right and apologies if it comes across as offensive. ‘The message I want to get across (and this is in support of one of my closest friends as he is having issues coming out) that he sick and tired of people assuming that because his sexuality is different to the guy next to him that they “expected him to act different”. This isn’t the case, and shouldn’t be preached on TV. ‘Once again – apologies for offending you, I trust you can see through this and see we are promoting the same message.’

by Anonymousreply 108Last Thursday at 10:57 PM

I get it- good for him for playing a character close to what is rather common- plus- woof!

by Anonymousreply 106/30/2017

Has Hugh Jackman contacted him yet, to fly him to LA for a breakout role in exchange for....?

by Anonymousreply 206/30/2017

Bitch please. We all know what he means (i.e. that his character doesn't flop around like Jack on Will & Grace).

by Anonymousreply 306/30/2017

He should have just said "masculine," or as the ads say now, "mainstream." Or "lowkey."

by Anonymousreply 406/30/2017

Who are you to tell people what they shouldn't or shouldn't say R4 you facist cunt?

by Anonymousreply 506/30/2017

I hate the word "normal". Usually, the word "healthy" is a fitting substitute. That's what people usually mean.

by Anonymousreply 606/30/2017

When will the studios be pushing him on us in movies? You know Jackman's all over it.

by Anonymousreply 706/30/2017

He specifically defined what he meant by normal. He said he meant guys that DONT stick out in the crowd, are mainstream. That's reality. Effeminate men are noteworthy because they are distinct, DONT blend in with the great majority of men. There is nothing wrong with discussing reality

by Anonymousreply 806/30/2017

Norma does not necessarily mean Better. It ALSO means average Or mainstream

by Anonymousreply 906/30/2017

"Hi guys. Agreed. Choice of words wasn't right and apologies if it comes across as offensive!" he wrote.

"The message I want to get across (and this is in support of one of my closes friends as he is having issues coming out) that he is sick and tired of people assuming that because his sexuality is different to the guy next to him that they "expected him to act different". This isn't the case, and shouldn't be preached on tv."

by Anonymousreply 1006/30/2017

R10, I wonder if he's making-up the thing about the friend.

by Anonymousreply 1106/30/2017

R11, maybe, but I hear bi and gay dudes say that all the time

by Anonymousreply 1206/30/2017

Gmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 1306/30/2017

He's an actor so not expected to be terribly bright.

by Anonymousreply 1406/30/2017

Stuff like this is what blooms self-hatred.

by Anonymousreply 1506/30/2017

Thanks God we have brave straight actors telling us how gay characters should be played.

by Anonymousreply 1606/30/2017

And people wonder why gay people rather have gay actors.

Instead you have clueless straight douchebags representing our community to people.

by Anonymousreply 1706/30/2017

Aside from the obvious 2 or 3 actors who are both gay and non-stereotypical, who would you cast, R17? We going to have the same handful of actors always play the role of the gay guy?

by Anonymousreply 1806/30/2017

I think the gay people on Modern Family act normal, they argue all the time...I could take that for a few episodes but not all the time.

by Anonymousreply 1906/30/2017

Depends on what you mean by "normal." The actors who play those characters certainly portray them in a stereotypically gay manner, to varying degrees. They definitely would not portray a regular male Character with those mannerisms and speech patterns

by Anonymousreply 2006/30/2017

"Normal" is a synonym for "ordinary". Yet for some reason it's a slight to be called "ordinary" and a huge slap in the face to be called "not normal". Seriously, a guy being a flaming queen is NOT normal, any more than a woman acting like a boozing trucker would be. Some people are whiny cunts who are offended by EVERYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 2106/30/2017

[quote]Bitch please. We all know what he means (i.e. that his character doesn't flop around like Jack on Will & Grace).

In other words, playing an actual human being and not playing it like a degrading and offensive fucking minstrel show.

by Anonymousreply 2206/30/2017

Any feminine gay man is a "minstrel" to some...

by Anonymousreply 2306/30/2017

Well he is saying what so many gay and bi men also say

by Anonymousreply 2406/30/2017

[quote] Any feminine gay man is a "minstrel" to some...

Even while camping it up to the rafters, Cliff Gorman did more to make Emory more human and believable in 2 hours of [italic]The Boys in the Band[/italic] than Sean Hayes did in all 8 seasons of that NBC minstrel show.

by Anonymousreply 2506/30/2017

A dramatic film vs a silly half-hour sitcom. OK.

by Anonymousreply 2606/30/2017

R25 could you use more current and relevant references?

by Anonymousreply 2706/30/2017

Normal can be such a condescending and borderline derogatory word. It can mean bland and boring, not rocking the boat, beige, try your best to be inoffensive in a cowardly way.

"Why can't you be NORMAL like everybody else?"

Is Neighbors about normal people leading normal, boring lives or do they face all sorts of soap drama and problems that make their lives anything but normal? I mean, I get what the actor tries to articulate, but to paraphrase an old Ab Fab quote (you're just a shopgirl, you know?) You're just hired to look good without a shirt, don't overthink it.

by Anonymousreply 2806/30/2017

He's hot and straight, which means we need to defend him from gay men calling him out. Assimilate, in other words.

by Anonymousreply 2906/30/2017

I can't and I won't spend the energy.

by Anonymousreply 3006/30/2017

Shame he can't act and the character isn't the greatest.

by Anonymousreply 3106/30/2017

He's lucky he's hot.

by Anonymousreply 3206/30/2017

Very hot bro

by Anonymousreply 3307/01/2017

by Anonymousreply 3412/28/2017

[quote]Apologizing, Wilson said on Twitter: ‘Choice of words wasn’t right and apologies if it comes across as offensive.

Another non-apologetic apology, easily identified by - all designed not to take actual responsibility:

1. Use of passive voice.

2. Use of pronouns with indeterminate antecedents.

3. Implication that it's the person who might be offended and not the offensive nature of the comment.

by Anonymousreply 3512/28/2017

At the end of the day the choice of word 'normal' is offensive because it's implying feminine and camp gay guys aren't normal. You can't disagree with that. But I doubt he meant any harm by it I guess, just a bad choice of words. And yesssss I think he's very cute !!

by Anonymousreply 3612/28/2017

A straight, cute white man getting a pass on here. Why am I not surprised?

by Anonymousreply 3712/28/2017

His choice of words are definitely offensive because he's implying that camp feminine gay guys aren't normal.

by Anonymousreply 3812/28/2017

Oh come on....a manly straight guy who thinks effeminate men aren't normal.....this is not news. Many straight guys feel this way....and some gay ones too.

by Anonymousreply 3912/28/2017

No matter what he says, he'll be castigated for it. Besides, to the mainstream, effeminate male behavior is not the norm. Even gay men turn their noses up at guys who act like that!!!

If he had said that he wished the character behave in a stereotypically flamboyant manner, he'd get dragged for perpetrating a cliched caricature...no one will be happy.

by Anonymousreply 4012/28/2017

Normal is way too much of a flashpoint word. I like the term/phrase regular guy....

by Anonymousreply 4112/28/2017

Like he wouldn’t be castigated for saying “regular” instead.

by Anonymousreply 4212/28/2017

We need to see his dick pics to see if he is really straight.

by Anonymousreply 4312/28/2017

My two cents is that he might have been better off saying he was playing a gay character who isn't particularly stereotypical.

by Anonymousreply 4412/28/2017

LIGHTEN UP, AL GAYDA!

"Normal" guys ARE more masculine than Modern Family's gays. No harm done, the lad meant well.

by Anonymousreply 4512/28/2017

R25, that might because Cliff Gorman was an--actor!

by Anonymousreply 4612/28/2017

I have no problem with his statement. He seems genuine and sincere. And good lord, he is hot.

by Anonymousreply 4712/28/2017

He doesn't LOOK normal.

by Anonymousreply 4812/28/2017

Agreed. He should have said he was playing a gay character that isn't like the stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 4912/28/2017

R33 - Another fat, 64 year old DataLounger using the word 'bro', trying to fit himself in the cool tribe?

by Anonymousreply 5012/28/2017

Neighbors cast and crew members will be marching at this year's Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras and the show have a presence at the community event,Fair Day. Taping a storyline revolving around the Mardi Gras.

by Anonymousreply 5101/25/2019

There is not outrage about this. Just some non-writers who make a meagre scrappy living connected to posting outrage online.

by Anonymousreply 5201/25/2019

I get what he's saying, the words he used to covey just weren't the best, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 5301/25/2019

I still think the actor who plays his brother Mark (on the left) is hotter.

by Anonymousreply 5401/25/2019

R53 = mainstream?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

by Anonymousreply 5501/25/2019

Aussies lack a filter....they’re much more direct than Americans.

by Anonymousreply 5601/25/2019

I agree with him. I think he was trying to be sensitive about the issue. Modern family 2 gay characters set the gay movement back 20 years. This is the way middle americans veiw gays from the way these 2 characters flit around and camp it up . Disgusiting.

by Anonymousreply 5701/25/2019

Maybe he just needs some encouragement. We could lend him a Savage Garden CD?

by Anonymousreply 5801/25/2019

*Looks at OP's picture*

I forgive him

by Anonymousreply 5901/25/2019

[quote] Implication that it's the person who might be offended and not the offensive nature of the comment.

Aren't we constantly being told that INTENT doesn't matter, only the offensive word? How else could you apologize if you didn't know the term was offensive at the time you made it? Circular logic.

by Anonymousreply 6001/25/2019

R51 Is the 'guy' in front a tranny or just very disturbing looking?

by Anonymousreply 6101/25/2019

His thighs are like meaty lollipops.

by Anonymousreply 6201/25/2019

R62 Does that mean I can lick them until I get to the "center"?

by Anonymousreply 6301/25/2019

He looks like Ryan Reynolds-this guy has the same GAY lips and the GAY stare in the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 6401/25/2019

by Anonymousreply 6501/29/2019

[quote] Aside from the obvious 2 or 3 actors who are both gay and non-stereotypical,

In what universe? Most actors are not straight, period. Anyone working in theater or film/tv knows this. Be them out and proud, bi, closeted or whatever, the truth is effeminate men are a minority within every group, that's why they stand out.

Stop being a bunch of offended 8 year olds.

by Anonymousreply 6601/29/2019

R66, most celebrity actors certainly are straight. Obscure ones are possibly another story

by Anonymousreply 6701/29/2019

Funny how different the reaction to these comments vs. Russell Tovey's...

by Anonymousreply 6801/29/2019

I personally do not watch any gay movie with a straight actor performing as a gay.These movies are supposed to be directed to a gay audience not for straights.

by Anonymousreply 6901/29/2019

R61 He is half-Japanese

by Anonymousreply 7002/08/2019

That’s stupid r69

by Anonymousreply 7102/08/2019

[quote] "Norma does not necessarily mean Better. It ALSO means average Or mainstream —Anonymous"

I've never been better, boy.

by Anonymousreply 7202/08/2019

This is the first time I've ever seen Neighbours mentioned on the DL. I feel the need to mark it by posting this song.

by Anonymousreply 7302/08/2019

The outraged Pakistani-Berminghammer who wrote the OP's piece is an employee who's paid to be permanently-outraged.

We should ignore this Neighbours TV soap-opera, ignore this paid-outrage soap-opera and concentrate on the fact that the subject of the thread (Matt Wilson) appears in Aussie-Bum commercials with a semi-engorged penis.

by Anonymousreply 7402/16/2019

The Neighbours characters are certainly a hot couple, though would be nice if at least one of them was gay.

by Anonymousreply 7502/16/2019

I don't watch 'Neighbours' but I hear it has suffered in comparison to all the eye-candy in 'Home and Away'.

by Anonymousreply 7602/16/2019

Home and Away doesn't even have a gay storyline so who cares.

by Anonymousreply 7702/16/2019

He can portray me anytime he likes.

by Anonymousreply 7802/16/2019

I like the pictures where he allows the speedos to display his pubes.

And the other ones where he grips himself.

by Anonymousreply 7902/17/2019

They should have given the role to Jack Stratton Smith, who's dating Australia's answer to Graham Norton.

by Anonymousreply 8002/17/2019

Jack's cute, but he doesn't have the same look as Matt Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 8102/17/2019

R80 "Australia's answer to Graham Norton" is a daffy mincing queen.

Daffy mincing queens are in demand at the moment like poodles or African babies used to be.

He will have to develop a bigger 'schtick' if he doesn't want his career to fade like Julian Cary's did.

by Anonymousreply 8202/17/2019

His co-star and screen partner tired of being asked what it's like to play a gay character

by Anonymousreply 8303/12/2019

Has Hugh Jackman bareback fucked his ass yet?

by Anonymousreply 8403/12/2019

He forgot to add that his character is also as anodyne and sexless as any gay character on Australian soaps.

by Anonymousreply 8503/12/2019

R79 Matt Wilson is gay for pay on TV but he spent about 12 hours being a public spectacle in 2days of Sydney's Mardi Gras last month.

Endless number of queens came up and demanded selfies. Sometimes Matt embraced them and sometimes he merely pretended to embrace them. But he was smiling constantly.

by Anonymousreply 8603/18/2019

Oooh R86

by Anonymousreply 8703/26/2019

[Quote] He forgot to add that his character is also as anodyne and sexless as any gay character on Australian soaps.

Still doing better than Home And Away.

by Anonymousreply 8803/26/2019

Are gay characters not allowed to have sex on the Australian soaps?

by Anonymousreply 8903/26/2019

Matt I believe recently posted something about how Neighbors would be changing its tv rating so would allow the show to be a little more naughty or something.

by Anonymousreply 9003/26/2019

R90 they might as well.

by Anonymousreply 9103/26/2019

R89 No characters are allowed to have sex on Australian soaps if they are shown before 9pm in the evening.

by Anonymousreply 9203/31/2019

I agree with him....I'm tired of the gay "minstrel" character on TV.

by Anonymousreply 9303/31/2019

Probably not the best term for him to use even though in his case I don't think he meant anything untoward. "Typical" might have been more palatable to the oversensitive types that run rampant on social media. But for those people even THAT would probably be "problematic".

Unfortunately, words like "normal/abnormal" , "deviation/deviant", "aberrant/aberration" have ,through constant use by anti-homosexual groups and individuals, developed negative connotations that are meant to be a form of attack and condemnation. Technically, they are true and apt descriptors for natural world phenomenon but they have been politicized.

I think "variant/variation" has a nicer sound to it.

by Anonymousreply 9403/31/2019

Fuck---so hot!

All is FORGIVEN!

by Anonymousreply 9503/31/2019

Bautiful skin---looks so soft and creamy. But him being Australian we all know THAT won't last.

by Anonymousreply 9603/31/2019

^^^Beautiful, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 9703/31/2019

R95, I think I detect a possible cut cock outline in those underwear, but I can't be 100% certain.

by Anonymousreply 9803/31/2019

He has a semi-stiffie in some of his Aussie Bum advertisements.

by Anonymousreply 9903/31/2019

by Anonymousreply 10004/06/2019

He seems gorgeous, so all is forgiven!

by Anonymousreply 10104/06/2019

He's no David Wolfman Williams.

by Anonymousreply 10204/07/2019

[quote]before 9pm in the evening.

As opposed to before 9pm in the morning?

by Anonymousreply 10304/07/2019

R102 David Wolfman Williams has disappeared from public life.

by Anonymousreply 10404/07/2019

pmuB

by Anonymousreply 10504/14/2019

If she is "str8" then so are we!

by Anonymousreply 10604/14/2019

It's pointless complaining about the words uttered by pretty-boy soap stars.

90% of the dialogue they utter on screen is utterly brainless and inconsistent from week to week.

by Anonymousreply 107Last Thursday at 10:42 PM

I appreciate that the gay charactors on Neighbours aren't mincing caracitures like on the US sitcoms. They are just regular guys who happen to be gay. In my experience that is closer to reality.

by Anonymousreply 108Last Thursday at 10:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!