Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Suddenly, Last Summer" (1959)

Katharine Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Montgomery Clift

Look what I'm watching! Jealous?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 17, 2018 10:25 PM

They..consumed him!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2017 4:24 AM

This film was delightfully bizarre!

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2017 4:25 AM

They...DEVOURED...HIM!

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2017 4:25 AM

Eldergay thread alert.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2017 4:27 AM

Sebastian and Violet.

Violet and Sebastian...

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2017 4:27 AM

r4...dumb cunt alert.

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2017 4:28 AM

The TCM Network had a film tribute yesterday in honor of Gay Pride month. This was one of the film. I recorded it because I'd originally watched the movie when I was around ten-years old. I'd caught just the last segment of the film then, and I've always wanted to see it ever since.

P.S. I'm not an elder gay; I just love well produced, classic movies.

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2017 4:32 AM

r7--God forbid you'd be an elder gay. Better to be young and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2017 4:33 AM

Young and stupid and believes GCI and explosions are "art."

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2017 4:34 AM

Monty was SO dreamy - but SO fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2017 4:49 AM

Liz, Kate and Monty - talk about a DL trifecta!

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2017 4:50 AM

Nature is not made in the image of man's compassion.

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2017 5:16 AM

R12 - I caught that line as well.

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2017 5:21 AM

Great film.

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2017 5:32 AM

" . . . Sebastian was a vocation, not a man."

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2017 5:34 AM

Fed up with the dark ones. Famished for blonds.

I think really he was half-starved... ...from living on pills and salads.

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2017 5:51 AM

SLS is really quite the shitshow, and was praised as art when it was released! Remarkable.

Not to say it isn't fun, but what a fucking hot mess!

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2017 6:12 AM

I played George Holly in a production of this once.

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2017 6:58 AM

IT'S NOT "JEALOUS". IT'S "ENVIOUS!"

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2017 7:25 AM

Was the deal that the broads got the trade hot, then Seb finished them off? If the tricks were really straight, that wouldn't work. Or is it any old hole in a storm?

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2017 7:29 AM

. . . It's the way he talked about people, as if they were items on a menu: that one's delicious looking; that one's appetizing . . .

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2017 7:34 AM

R20 - Reaching far back in my memory of this movie, but I think Sebastian used "Catherine" as "bait," this is why he took her traveling everywhere with him.

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2017 7:39 AM

Yes, that's the word, but I still wonder how that works.

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2017 7:52 AM

Hepburn channeled Violet Venable, just a bit, when she played Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter."

Did anyone notice the Stinking Corpse Lily in the big atrium scene?

Albert Dekker's real-life death. Ye gods, he was on the wrong side of the sanatorium door.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2017 10:30 AM

Williams hated the film, which made considerable changes in style and tone from his play.

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2017 10:50 AM

They never show Sebastian, but he was apparently: endlessly magnetic and charming (but at one point "shy and sensitive") but also heartless and vicious/predatory when it came to other humans. It sounds like at the end of his life (in his fine white suits, etc.) he was more like a charming sociopath.

So.....if the movie had shown Sebastian and been more about his character etc., which actor--alive or dead--do you think could have best embodied Sebastian?

(You can pick an actor from the time the movie was made or one from now; the play is still performed, so the Sebastian character could be played by any current actor as well in this hypothetical scenario).

I'm going to go with a young Paul Newman (who could actually play really seedy and disturbingly charming) for the time the movie was made (runner up: Rock Hudson-- who showed real acting chops in "Seconds") and maybe either McBongo or Jude Law for the present day version of the movie (if there was one).

(Andrew Garfield could be a runner up if Sebastian was younger perhaps...). Oh, Leo D. might be good as a wealthy predatory middle aged gay guy too...

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2017 11:10 AM

I love the son "Suddenly Last Summer" by The Motels.

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2017 11:18 AM

I've never seen it. How is Elizabeth Taylor in it? I've seen most of her other big films, and am always surprised to remember she got FIVE Oscar nominations. Her best performance was in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, but in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Butterfield 8, Cleopatra, Raintree County, A Place in the Sun and many others, I just find her really shrill, actressy and annoying. Her voice was so thin and tinny, and she always seemed so pleased with herself. Is she any different in Suddenly, Last Summer?

by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2017 11:27 AM

Certainly a strange movie and can understand someone not liking it. I find it incredibly fascinating. I think Violet descing in the elevator sitting on what looks like a throne at the beginning sets the strange mood.

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2017 11:30 AM

/Descending

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2017 11:32 AM

I think "descing" deserves to become a thing, though.

What would "descing" describe?

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2017 1:29 PM

Elizabeth Taylor at the HEIGHT of her beauty. That first reveal of her turning from the window is pretty insane

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2017 1:40 PM

It's how they stereotyped gay people in the early 50's, be glad you never lived during that era.

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2017 1:53 PM

From the beginning of the film, it obvious Violet not only knew of Sebastian's fate, but she also believed Catherine, the reality of which manifested into her own insanity. Her motivation for attempting to "silence" Catherine was actually her effort to "silence" the truth about Sebastian, and perpetuate her state of denial. Catherine's ability to finally articulate the events, with the assistance of the doctor, is what finally pushed forward Violet's full blown psychosis.

Katharine Hepburn, as Violet Venable, was the most chilling part of this movie. She was actually relieved Sebastian was dead, along with his rejection of her, only seeing her as something that was once merely "useful":

" . . . I'm in mourning; white was my son's favorite color . . . Life is a thief; Sebastian always said life steals everything."

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2017 4:21 PM

See how she destroys us with her tongue for a hatchet? You've got to cut this hideous story out of her brain.

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2017 4:29 PM

Suddenly, Last Summer reviewed by Tired Old Queen at the Movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2017 4:47 PM

r26 If memory serves, I believe Laurence Harvey was at one point attached to the movie. Any DL'ers aware of this? If he wasn't, he'd have made a spot-on Sebastian: soignee, effete, condescending and snarky(now WHO might these attributes also describe?). I think it was better he was kept off-screen, it allows/allowed us to use out imaginations as to just how he would've conducted himself.

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2017 4:50 PM

R22 Now I'm really reaching back in my memory, but I do have a recollection of Liz's character shamefully explaining how Sebastian forced her into the water while she was wearing a flimsy white swimsuit. To her humiliation, the suit became sheer when wet and attracted attention at the beach, which was exactly Sebastian's intent.

by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2017 4:58 PM

I love the opening credits when ELIZABETH TAYLOR / MONTGOMERY CLIFT / KATHARINE HEPBURN 's names appear (in that order) all at once. I nearly MARY'd myself the first time I saw that.

by Anonymousreply 39June 24, 2017 6:14 PM

Having done the play I can say if you aren't one of the 3 leads its a pretty thankless exercise.

by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2017 6:22 PM

I heard Hepburn spit on the director after the shooting was over because she was disgusted by the way he treated Monty on the set. My respect for her grew hundred fold.

by Anonymousreply 41June 24, 2017 6:33 PM

White as a color is important imagery in the play.

Besides the already mentioned references, there is also Catherine sitting in the doctor's chair in a dark grey suit as he's attempting to wrestle the truth out of her. Before she comes out with it he removes her jacket to reveal a pure white blouse underneath.

"The horror....!"

by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2017 6:34 PM

[quote]I just find her really shrill, actressy and annoying.

Yup, that pretty much describe her in S,LS.

by Anonymousreply 43June 24, 2017 6:39 PM

I think it is such a preposterous reveal by a playwright just looking for something shocking.

by Anonymousreply 44June 24, 2017 6:56 PM

I wahzzz procuuuuring for him!

by Anonymousreply 45June 24, 2017 7:16 PM

The moment the doctor stepped into Sebastian's and Violet's garden, when he first meets her, was the moment he realized it was she, who was insane.

It becomes more apparent to him when Violet elaborates on Catherine's "insanity." He realizes she is actually describing her own insanity, using the third-person context,

. . . Madness. She torments herself with madness, obsession, and memory. She lacerates herself with memory, babbling, babbling . . . it all started last summer . . . Sebastian saw the face of God!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 24, 2017 7:43 PM

How does the play differ from the film?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 24, 2017 7:48 PM

I've never seen the play, but I assumed it was less coy about what was going on.

by Anonymousreply 48June 24, 2017 7:56 PM

The last shot of Violet ascending on her Byzantine elevator is camp at its finest.

by Anonymousreply 49June 24, 2017 8:51 PM

I agree with r17 the movie is a hot mess. But i love the movie poster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 24, 2017 9:16 PM

From wikipedia:

Critical response Several people involved with Suddenly, Last Summer later went on to denounce the film. Despite being credited for the screenplay, Tennessee Williams denied having any part in writing it. He thought Elizabeth Taylor was miscast as Catherine, telling Life magazine in 1961, "It stretched my credulity to believe such a 'hip' doll as our Liz wouldn't know at once in the film that she was 'being used for something evil.'"[15] Williams also told The Village Voice in 1973 that Suddenly, Last Summer went too far afield from his original play and "made [him] throw up."[16] Gore Vidal criticized the ending which had been altered by director Joseph Mankiewicz, adding, "We were also not helped by ... those overweight ushers from the Roxy Theatre on Fire Island pretending to be small ravenous boys."[17] Mankiewicz himself blamed the source material, describing the play as "badly constructed ... based on the most elementary Freudian psychology."[18]

by Anonymousreply 51June 24, 2017 9:20 PM

photo of the actor who played Sebastian:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 24, 2017 9:22 PM

IIRC, I read there was a lot of rumors of the cast not getting along, fighting and bitching with each other, but it was not true. But for shits and giggles, they (Hepburn, Liz, and Monty) released a staged photo of the leads physically fighting with each other. I tried to find the photo via google and came up with nothing. Maybe it was another movie.?

by Anonymousreply 53June 24, 2017 9:29 PM

It's an entertaining, oddball movie. Poor Monty....his beauty was long gone. It's sad to see him in later films after his disfiguring car accident.

by Anonymousreply 54June 24, 2017 9:36 PM

This film hasn't aged well at all!! Gayness is perceived as something predatory, immoral and deserving of unseemly punishment. The boys represent Sebastian's desires, and his death at their hands represent a pervert being consumed by his desires.

Deplorable, but interesting on a camp level.

by Anonymousreply 55June 24, 2017 9:48 PM

The best movie of all time.

by Anonymousreply 56June 24, 2017 11:49 PM

R53,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 25, 2017 12:47 AM

Elizabeth Taylor and Joseph Mankiewicz, the film's director, were involved in an affair during the filming of this movie. She was 27, he was 40. At time of their affair, he was single, while Elizabeth was also involved with Eddy Fisher.

Mankiewicz and Taylor later worked together again on "Cleopatra."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 25, 2017 1:05 AM

I wonder how Hepburn felt about Taylor peddling her pussy to get better camera angels.

by Anonymousreply 59June 25, 2017 1:26 AM

"Taylor...Mankiewicz....affair"

Highly unlikely

by Anonymousreply 60June 25, 2017 1:35 AM

"Ex-sqeeze me," R60. The TCM film commentators who introduced the film talked about it, as background info on the film.

by Anonymousreply 61June 25, 2017 1:57 AM

The nephew knows.

by Anonymousreply 62June 25, 2017 1:59 AM

When I was in college I got to lick a guys cock while he was pumping a friends pussy. Then I gobbled up his jizz while it was leaking out of her twat as he was cumming. It was quite satisfying. That is what I imagine the movie to be about.

by Anonymousreply 63June 25, 2017 1:59 AM

Well, that sure proves it.

by Anonymousreply 64June 25, 2017 1:59 AM

Totally agree with R49. That ending speech of Hepburn's as she gets in the elevator is everything. Gay camp heaven.

by Anonymousreply 65June 25, 2017 2:44 AM

Is the secretary Foxhill supposed to be lesbian? She was stacked.

Cute Gary Raymond was also in El Cid and in Look Back in Anger, in which he was gorgeous. Those eyes.

Mercy M played lesbo in Touch of Evil and Liz had the fling with Susannah York, in XYZ.

And Dekker died of autoerotic asphyxiation?

by Anonymousreply 66June 25, 2017 2:56 AM

Why is Elizabeth billed ahead of Ms Hepburn?

by Anonymousreply 67June 25, 2017 2:59 AM

R67 - She was eff-ing the director (see same topic, up thread).

by Anonymousreply 68June 25, 2017 3:05 AM

r65 - Cuz Liz= Bigger B.O., Bigger Role, and (drum roll) Bigger Boobs!

by Anonymousreply 69June 25, 2017 3:06 AM

Bigger box office then?

Gary Raymond is 82 and has been married to actress Delena Kidd since 1961! They have three kids, and actor Ben Miles is his soninlaw.

Wonder what Monty thought of Gary?

by Anonymousreply 70June 25, 2017 3:07 AM

^for r67

by Anonymousreply 71June 25, 2017 3:07 AM

I read somewhere that Mankiewicz and Spiegel had discussed firing Clift because of his erratic behavior, and they brought in Peter O'Toole (then a stage actor) to do a film test, but O'Toole didn't impress Spiegel. At least not that time (Spiegel would later produce 'Lawrence of Arabia').

by Anonymousreply 72June 25, 2017 3:21 AM

I was surprised Hepburn took third billing. Wasn't she the bigger star of the three at that time? Or was her star fading a la Davis and Crawford

by Anonymousreply 73June 25, 2017 3:25 AM

Wasn't Gary Raymond on the TV show "Rat Patrol"?

by Anonymousreply 74June 25, 2017 3:41 AM

R73 Hepburn was still famous, but she was in a bit a lull. It was a long time between Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 75June 25, 2017 3:46 AM

Hepburn was definitely in a lull in the late 1950s.

Her previous film Desk Set was a financial flop 2 years earlier and she didn't make another film after 1959's SLS until Long Day's Journey Into Night in 1962, which was considered somewhat of a comeback and might have garnered her her second Oscar if not for the furious competition of Bancroft, Davis, Page and Remick that year. And then it took her another 5 years to truly fulfill her comeback status with Guess Who's Coming to Dinner in 1967.

She spent most of her professional time on the stage in the late 1950s and early 1960s in Stratford, CT doing classic roles on stage.

So anyway, Taylor getting top billing in SLS was a no-brainer.

by Anonymousreply 76June 25, 2017 1:42 PM

[quote]SLS is really quite the shitshow, and was praised as art when it was released! Remarkable. ...Not to say it isn't fun, but what a fucking hot mess!

This movie is one long "MARY!" from beginning to end.

by Anonymousreply 77June 25, 2017 2:03 PM

Was it ever mentioned which country/city Sebastian got eaten? Looks like an interesting place to visit.

by Anonymousreply 78June 25, 2017 6:56 PM

I think we can rule out Scandinavia and the UK.

by Anonymousreply 79June 25, 2017 7:06 PM

Sebastian's "demise" took place in Spain.

by Anonymousreply 80June 25, 2017 7:13 PM

Can someone answer the previous question: "How does the story differ in the movie from the play?"

by Anonymousreply 81June 25, 2017 7:29 PM

I dislike this movie. One reason is I really dislike Hepburn and she is particularly annoying here.

by Anonymousreply 82June 25, 2017 8:24 PM

Wasn't the beach scene filmed in Spanish Sahara? During the fifties, Spain still held a small colony on the NW coast of Africa. The boys who ate Sebastian were Moor (Berber) rather than Spanish.

About 10-15 years ago, someone found some great candid shots of Liz sunning herself on the set. One below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 25, 2017 8:55 PM

Boom delivers MUCH BETTER Mediterranean themed Liz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84June 25, 2017 8:59 PM

For cheap Freudian psychopop, I prefer A Summer Place, which is afterall sex positive, though no gay subplot.

And the grisly Franz Waxman jizzed up luridness of A Place in the Sun, for much better Liz and Monty.

by Anonymousreply 85June 25, 2017 9:03 PM

In the film version of the play, "Violet" said Sebastian's "heart attack" occurred in Spain.

by Anonymousreply 86June 25, 2017 9:03 PM

Tell mama everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 25, 2017 9:05 PM

I've always enjoyed this film but last time I watched it I noticed how bad it was. To have all those name stars in a 'quality' production and have it turn out rather cringeworthy.

At this point because of the dated, lurid subject matter and the clashing acting styles it's pure camp, which is unfortunate because I think Hepburn gives an awesome performance.

by Anonymousreply 88June 25, 2017 9:56 PM

Agree with R88. Katharine Hepburn's performance was awesome. "Violet's" insanity-fueled monologue about the "flesh-eating birds' ravenously tearing at the newly hatched sea turtles in their desperate flight" was a metaphor for Sebastian's death. Hepburn's depiction of insanity while describing it is superb.

by Anonymousreply 89June 25, 2017 10:19 PM

Hepburn gave a lousy performance, like a big glazed Connecticut Easter ham.

by Anonymousreply 90June 25, 2017 10:29 PM

It's a hot mess. You can't look away.

by Anonymousreply 91June 25, 2017 10:30 PM

[quote]I played George Holly in a production of this once.

Me too. Twice no less. I seemed to have a lock on southern asshole roles in college and grad school. I've always thought SLS would make a deliciously lurid one act opera a la Salome or Elektra. Too bad it's never been tried.

by Anonymousreply 92June 25, 2017 10:41 PM

Wonderful scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 25, 2017 10:47 PM

The original off-Broadway production was a shorter one-act that was paired with another Williams play. I think the movie suffered from Gore Vidal padding out the script. I still adore it, but it's hard to sit down and watch the whole thing.

There was a version in the early '90s with Maggie Smith, Rob Lowe, and Natasha Richardson which was closer to the original play. Smith is great, as usual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 25, 2017 10:49 PM

I don't think Liz is wearing sunblock!

by Anonymousreply 95June 25, 2017 11:00 PM

Was Liz Taylor still in love with Monty at this time? I know they were close friends and Taylor is very loyal and protective of her friends.

by Anonymousreply 96June 25, 2017 11:01 PM

R83, the village and beach scenes were shot on Mallorca and the Costa Brava. So the "natives" were Catalonians.

by Anonymousreply 97June 25, 2017 11:05 PM

Love this movie, it is the definition of over the top but i,ve watched it countless times. Liz and Kate both give great performances. The movie is also deceptive as although there are 3 leads and doctor sugar is almost always on screen, his role is minimal, he's basically just listening to the women and feeding them their lines.

by Anonymousreply 98June 25, 2017 11:52 PM

Patricia Neal, who drew raves playing Catherine in the London production of "Suddenly, Last Summer," thought she had the film role in the bag. She was bitterly disappointed when she was passed over for Elizabeth Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 99June 30, 2017 10:31 PM

r99 I can't imagine Neal in that white bathing suit. Only Liz could have done it justice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 30, 2017 10:42 PM

Joseph Mankiewicz was one of Judy Garland's lovers. Some say he was the great love of her life. She named little Joey after him. Supposedly it was he who encouraged her to try psychoanalysis. In Garland's case, that was a mistake. All it did was create an unwarranted hatred of her mother (her analyst told her that most people's problems stem from their relationship with their mother). She took that notion and ran with it. She blamed Ethel Gumm (and MGM and Louis Mayer and Sid Luft, among others) for everything that went wrong in her life.

by Anonymousreply 101June 30, 2017 11:33 PM

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who loves this movie. I'm not saying it is a good movie but ....

Something about it - not really badly acted, the plot wasn't ... totally ridiculous, but it just all came together in some ridiculous amount of entertaining cluster.

by Anonymousreply 102July 1, 2017 12:01 AM

Serves Patricia right r99. Since she did the same thing to Barbara Stanwyck for the role of Dominique in THE FOUNTAINHEAD a decade earlier. Stanwyck was friends with Ayn Rand and got Warner Brothers to purchase the film rights to Rand's novel. Was a bit of a Pyrrhic victory, though, since the film bombed. As it should have; it was as unwatchable as the novel it was based on was unreadable.

by Anonymousreply 103July 1, 2017 12:14 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 1, 2017 2:30 AM

We've always wanted the straight guys.

by Anonymousreply 105July 1, 2017 3:50 AM

Not sure if it's a good movie, but it sure is entertaining, like a mix of tragedy and black comedy. Liz really did have a big head in relation to the rest of her body.

by Anonymousreply 106July 1, 2017 4:12 AM

I finally watched this film after reading this thread and enjoyed how crazy and surreal it is. Katharine Hepburn definitely gives the strongest performance here. Elizabeth Taylor may have looked glamorous in her white bathing suit, but she's as shrill and mannered as always, and her VOICE! Has there ever been a Hollywood legend with such a thin, tinny, scratchy voice so unsuited to the big screen (or the stage, I'm guessing)? Patricia Neal would have given a much better performance.

by Anonymousreply 107July 1, 2017 10:02 AM

I love to watch this and A Place in The Sun as a double feature. SLS is campier, but APITS has Shelly Winters in an absolutely camp role as the slattern who dies. And Clift and Taylor are just so damn beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 108July 1, 2017 10:12 AM

After watching that clip in r93, I remembered something else noteworthy about the film: the overwrought score. But I, like many others on this thread, love the movie for the hot mess that it is.

by Anonymousreply 109July 1, 2017 11:04 AM

When I was in junior high, these was a commercial on the local ABC nation in LA that showed super-quick clips of the upcoming movies they were showing, and one of them was SLS. All you saw was the part where Elizabeth Taylor is perched on a rock, head and hair tossed back, WAILING for dear life. I saw that little snippet so many times I still remember it. I was so intrigued by her outpouring of emotion. And that it was Elizabeth Taylor. "What is happening to her?" Back then, she was the most beautiful woman in the world. Or at least that's what the adults were saying, and for someone my age. I didn't beg to differ.

by Anonymousreply 110July 1, 2017 11:17 AM

It is such a crazy fucking story, it's amazing that it made it to film during the height of the Hays Code. With all the ridiculous shit the Code was obsessed with, THIS got through?

But damn, Liz was stunning. She puts to shame what passes for movie stars the last couple decades, with their chiseled out noses and frozen faces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111July 1, 2017 11:42 AM

Love this movie, always have. For me, it completely works in its own bizarre, surreal way (kind of like it exists entirely in its own world). There's no other movie quite like it.

by Anonymousreply 112July 1, 2017 11:49 AM

The film completely owns its bizarro, batshit subject matter and keeps the camp turned up to 11 throughout so I can't not love it. And Taylor's monologue at the end was *kisses fingers*

I'll never understand the appeal of Monty Clift, though. He was very good in 'A Place in the Sun' but still got blown out of the water by Taylor and especially Shelley Winters.

by Anonymousreply 113July 1, 2017 2:43 PM

Clift was at his most beautiful in "Red River".

The scene between his character of Matthew Garth and John Ireland's Cherry Valance (of Valverde) when they are comparing guns, while Walter Brennan watches:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 1, 2017 2:56 PM

The hideous, flesh-eating birds, diving down on the baby sea turtles

by Anonymousreply 115July 1, 2017 3:02 PM

This movie is fabulous, you bitches. And Hepburn is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 116July 1, 2017 3:04 PM

[quote]The boys who ate Sebastian

Could be a great name for a novel. Or better yet, a rock band.

by Anonymousreply 117July 1, 2017 3:16 PM

R64 Liz Taylor fell in love with Monty when she first met him she was upset when she found out he was gay but stayed loyal and became more protective of him. I don't think she ever got over him.

by Anonymousreply 118July 1, 2017 4:00 PM

She clearly didn't--see R104...

by Anonymousreply 119July 1, 2017 6:38 PM

Not all that amazing, R111--by '59 Breen had retired and the Code was losing its teeth, though SLS pushed the limits. Several cuts were required, as with Anatomy of a Murder that year. Some Like It Hot was a smash without getting the Code's certificate of approval. Psycho was just around the corner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 1, 2017 6:53 PM

Poor Liz. The world's most desirable woman and the man you truly love unconditionally you can't have. It must have chapped her ass to no end.

by Anonymousreply 121July 1, 2017 7:08 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 1, 2017 7:10 PM

If Taylor were male she'd look like Clift.

by Anonymousreply 123July 1, 2017 7:16 PM

r104, her audio monologue in that sounds like a slightly medicated Martha talking about her son. Incestuous.

by Anonymousreply 124July 1, 2017 7:26 PM

I imagine Liz and Martha were equally well medicated in their last years...

by Anonymousreply 125July 1, 2017 7:28 PM

So beautiful seriously.

by Anonymousreply 126July 1, 2017 7:43 PM

r106 - The head to body ratio of movie queens supposedly tended to skew that way. I remember the Norma Shearer biographer commenting on her large noggin and that the same was true of some of her peers.

r107 - I believe she worked pretty hard to train her voice for The Little Foxes. I don't remember any criticism at the time of her voice not being suitable for the stage. But yes, on screen, she wasn't at her best vocally for highly pitched emotional scenes.

by Anonymousreply 127July 1, 2017 7:45 PM

r121, no truer words.

by Anonymousreply 128July 1, 2017 7:46 PM

I had an old copy of the play that said Lilian Gish would play the Mercedes McCambridge role.

by Anonymousreply 129July 1, 2017 8:03 PM

r129, that would have been a waste of Lillian Gish.

by Anonymousreply 130July 1, 2017 8:05 PM

A friend had the drag name Lillian Gash

by Anonymousreply 131July 1, 2017 8:12 PM

r131 - Did your friend have a sister named Dorothy?

by Anonymousreply 132July 1, 2017 8:21 PM

Yes R132 she didn't approve.

by Anonymousreply 133July 1, 2017 8:23 PM

There is that long monologue of Kate's where she, as Violet, goes on and on about her and her son's experiences traveling...

Hepburn does a wonderful job with it. I've only seen the movie twice, I think, at least 10 years between viewings, but I remember a terrific line spewed out by Kate, something like:

In that instant, DOCTOR, my son Sebastian SAW the FACE of GOD!!

by Anonymousreply 134July 1, 2017 9:05 PM

Hepburn is fantastic. Really puts everything into it.

by Anonymousreply 135July 1, 2017 9:06 PM

Yes, R134, we know.

by Anonymousreply 136July 1, 2017 9:08 PM

Poor Liz. She fell in love with Monty and wanted to marry him, but he was gay. Did they ever attempt sex? Probably. What a fiasco that must have been.

by Anonymousreply 137July 1, 2017 9:11 PM

Montgomery Clift is awful--like a somnabulist. All he does is ask obvious questions and repeat what someone else says. Maybe he was half-high, after that horrific car crash robbed him of his looks.

by Anonymousreply 138July 1, 2017 9:18 PM

Close to Clift's unfinest hour but he does catch glimmers in the hospital scenes with Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 139July 1, 2017 10:02 PM

First of all, you bitches have really brought out your best in this thread!. Bravo! I love it when smart DL denizens dissect a movie like this. I learn so much.

Anyway, to add to the Elizabeth/Monty stuff, I want to add the ET saved Monty's life after his tragic car accident. I know lots of people love to rag on ET, but her steadfast loyalty to the people she's loved has always impressed me.

[quote]Elizabeth called out to Monty. He reacted to her voice and indicated to her that he was choking. Several of his teeth had broken off and had lodged in the back of his throat. Reaching inside his mouth, Elizabeth pulled the teeth out, one by one. Elizabeth saved his life. Monty could once again breathe.

[quote]It was nearly an hour before an ambulance arrived and, with it, a handful of frenzied photographers. Elizabeth positioned herself between the stretcher carrying Monty and the photographers’ cameras. “She was remarkable,” said McCarthy. She told the photographers that if they so much as snapped one photo of Monty’s bloodied face, she’d never allow her to take another photo of her. (That would never do. Elizabeth Taylor was one of Hollywood’s top actresses and would become one of the most photographed women in the world.) The photographers backed off.

[quote]The car accident left Elizabeth with persistent nightmares. She couldn’t get Monty’s bloody face out of her mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 1, 2017 11:57 PM

No one ever said Liz wasn't a chin up tits out kind of gal. We just sometimes critique her acting. It's fair.

by Anonymousreply 141July 2, 2017 12:00 AM

r138 - Well, he was certainly no Rob Lowe!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 2, 2017 2:51 AM

Is that the movie where ET's character's hubby becomes a snack for the locals?

by Anonymousreply 143July 2, 2017 3:00 AM

It was her cousin, [R143], not her husband.

by Anonymousreply 144July 2, 2017 3:08 AM

R143 - Not quite. ET's character and "Sebastian" were cousins in SLS. MC's character was a doctor who was to perform ET's character's lobotomy, in order to erase her supposed "mania" caused by what had transpired SSL, that being the cannibalism of "Sebastian."

by Anonymousreply 145July 2, 2017 3:11 AM

R138, Of course Clift was high. He was popping pills and drinking heavily. He was such a mess that he couldn't remember his lines and required many retakes. Mank wanted him fired, but Liz threatened to quit if he was let go. Sadly, Clift would remain this way for the rest of his life, effectively killing his career.

by Anonymousreply 146July 2, 2017 6:36 AM

Suddenly Lust Summer

So St. Sebastian was martyred by arrows piercing him

Of course St. Catherine was rather elaborately martyred too.

by Anonymousreply 147July 2, 2017 8:27 AM

Wasn't Violet's conservatory stocked with carnivorous plants? Or am I misremembering that?

I love over-the-top details and imagery like that.

by Anonymousreply 148July 2, 2017 2:37 PM

I really wish they were showing this on the big screen *this summer* (like at the Egyptian in Hollywood)! I would buy my ticket in a hot minute!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149July 2, 2017 2:48 PM

DVD cover

(As you see, the Hollywood Reporter calls it, "electrifying and absorbing")

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 2, 2017 2:52 PM

I've always thought that this would happen to George Clooney at Lake Como...

by Anonymousreply 151July 2, 2017 3:07 PM

LOL, [R151]. I could *totally* see that happening pre-Amal ;)

by Anonymousreply 152July 2, 2017 3:11 PM

Should Sebastian's story be on DL's infamous (and much treasured) "Scary Hookups and One Night Stands!" thread?

by Anonymousreply 153July 2, 2017 3:14 PM

The iconic scene and photos of Taylor in the white bathing suit...

I have always mistakenly associated those photos with "A Place in the Sun," which is another great movie with her and Clift. But a rich girl at her parents' Adirondack lake house isn't as sultry as a "procurer" for a cousin on a beach in Spain.

by Anonymousreply 154July 2, 2017 3:18 PM

I've always thought that this would happen to George Clooney at Lake Como...

—Anonymous

Being that Como is one of the wealthiest regions of Italy and the playground of the 1percenters from all over the world, it would be ridiculous to think there are herds of starving cannibals roaming the shores

by Anonymousreply 155July 2, 2017 3:21 PM

This film is a bit too campy for me. A better version is the 1993 one with maggie smith. Much darker in tone. I love kate Hepburn but I think this is one of her weakest performances. She's so mannered and hammy. She did better work in Long Days Journey and the lion in winter.....and summertime.

by Anonymousreply 156July 2, 2017 3:25 PM

We better not get started on Summertime. It will drive this thread off the wheels. I FUCKING LOVE THAT MOVIE.

by Anonymousreply 157July 2, 2017 4:39 PM

"Being that Como is one of the wealthiest regions of Italy and the playground of the 1percenters from all over the world, it would be ridiculous to think there are herds of starving cannibals roaming the shores"

Talk about missing the point...

by Anonymousreply 158July 2, 2017 5:44 PM

R157. Ok let's you and me discuss it. I love the scene where they are kissing on the bank with the sunset behind them. Kate has her hair down and really looks like she's come to life.

by Anonymousreply 159July 2, 2017 5:52 PM

r158 is right.

by Anonymousreply 160July 3, 2017 1:58 AM

Rossano Brazzi was so gorgeous in Summertime

by Anonymousreply 161July 3, 2017 2:12 AM

True, r161, and unfortunately in neither Summertime nor South Pacific nor any of his other films was he ever costumed like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 3, 2017 2:16 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 3, 2017 2:26 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 3, 2017 2:31 AM

One of the biggest unintended laughs my family and I ever got from a movie is when Katharine Hepburn's character in "Summertime" says she is a school teacher from Akron, Ohio.

I grew up there and no one, but NO ONE, talks like Katharine Hepburn! Not even when the calla lilies are in bloom.

If they did, they'd be mocked, at best. Slapped, at worst.

by Anonymousreply 165July 3, 2017 2:35 AM

That wasn't affected, r165. That was her accent. She could've modulated it but it wasn't affected.

What exactly flies to Akron, either?

by Anonymousreply 166July 3, 2017 2:38 AM

Except she was not a schoolteacher, but a secretary.

by Anonymousreply 167July 3, 2017 2:40 AM

Maybe she grew up in Hartford, CT but moved to A K R O N to accept a job?

by Anonymousreply 168July 3, 2017 2:45 AM

r164 - I've never seen Dragon Seed. Only her stills, and she's so very Anna May Wrong.

by Anonymousreply 169July 3, 2017 2:53 AM

I always thought Hepburn was prettier than Taylor. Then again I'm from Connecticut. We don't really go for floozies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 3, 2017 2:58 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171July 3, 2017 3:00 AM

This thread got me all hot to watch the film again - but I couldn't find my DVD copy. It wasn't in my Hepburn collection. Then I finally found it in my gay collection. Then the damn thing wouldn't play. So I had to settle for the Maggie Smith TV version. Here's a question - are the two photos of Sebastian in the movie? The ones in the TV version that Maggie shows Rob Lowe as evidence that Sebastian didn't age in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 172July 3, 2017 12:38 PM

r154 Yes, and I would say there is at least a thirty to forty pound weight difference for Liz between those two films.

by Anonymousreply 173July 3, 2017 12:44 PM

r173, wasn't there a good 10 years between the filming of APITS and SLS?

I think you've exaggerated the weight gain but don't you think 10-20 lbs might be reasonable in that time? How much have you gained in the last 10 years?

by Anonymousreply 174July 3, 2017 1:21 PM

r174 It was eight years between the two films, and I don't think I've exaggerated her weight gain. I've gained seven pounds in eight years. What about you sweetheart?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175July 3, 2017 1:27 PM

Liz's cleavage seemed more than adequate without the extra pounds....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 3, 2017 3:25 PM

r173 - WHAT........... 30 to 40 pounds gained???

At 5'2" that much weight would have made her totally fat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177July 4, 2017 8:05 PM

No, she didn't gain much weight between the 2 films. You can tell from the skimpy (for it's time) bathing suit scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178July 4, 2017 8:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179July 4, 2017 8:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180July 4, 2017 8:20 PM

Sebastian was a role for nobody but Miss Bradley Cooper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 5, 2017 12:57 AM

It is a hot mess of a movie but it has the best movie title ever. Just the title is so over the top dramatic.

by Anonymousreply 182July 5, 2017 1:02 AM

"Scary hookups?"

No, scary cookups.

by Anonymousreply 183July 5, 2017 1:07 AM

No way she gained 40 pounds then. 20 at most, plus 3 kids.

by Anonymousreply 184July 5, 2017 1:17 AM

My favorite scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185July 5, 2017 1:26 AM

A quiet moment. I'd forgotten there were any in that. I enjoyed, but too bad they broke the shot And WHO was that doctor?

by Anonymousreply 186July 5, 2017 1:34 AM

Night-blooming dementia praecox!

by Anonymousreply 187July 5, 2017 1:41 AM

R186 I think it's David Cameron, the DL web site link is limited to 225 characters can't post a link

by Anonymousreply 188July 6, 2017 1:08 AM

R156 happy to read agreement about the Connecticut ham in this flick.

by Anonymousreply 189July 6, 2017 1:33 AM

r186 try using tinyurl to shorten link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190July 6, 2017 2:45 AM

unrelated to the movie, but I've always liked The Motels 1980's hit single "Suddenly Last Summer"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191July 6, 2017 2:50 AM

[quote] ...but her steadfast loyalty to the people she's loved has always impressed me.

Other than to her husbands?

by Anonymousreply 192July 29, 2017 4:20 AM

I still don't quite get the whole "decoy" thing. If the guys were attracted to Kate, then Liz, how did Sebastian end up with them? The guys were bi? Or just got so excited by the gals, that any hole presented to them (like Sebastian s) was acceptable?

by Anonymousreply 193July 29, 2017 4:33 AM

They probably said "before you can fuck me you have to let him suck your cock".

by Anonymousreply 194July 29, 2017 4:40 AM

Somehow, I have some difficulty imagining those words from Ms. Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 195July 29, 2017 5:53 AM

The latter, r103.

by Anonymousreply 196July 29, 2017 9:44 PM

Sorry, the above was intended for r193.

by Anonymousreply 197July 29, 2017 9:49 PM

It's on TCM (eastern) again now.

by Anonymousreply 198March 17, 2018 12:48 AM

That one is appetizing...

by Anonymousreply 199March 17, 2018 1:20 AM

[quote]I still don't quite get the whole "decoy" thing. If the guys were attracted to Kate, then Liz, how did Sebastian end up with them? The guys were bi? Or just got so excited by the gals, that any hole presented to them (like Sebastian s) was acceptable?

Honey, don't waste time thinking it through. It's a stupid play.

by Anonymousreply 200March 17, 2018 3:57 AM

I like the song "Suddenly Last Summer" by The Motels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201March 17, 2018 12:55 PM

I think I first saw this movie on cable when I was about 15, and was into Tenessee Williams because we had been studying "Glass Menagerie" in school. A video in class said that TW had a difficult relationship with his father because young Tenessee "wasn't interested in sports"!

Anyway, that little elevator chair device Kate as Violet rode on the spiral staircase in her stately home fascinated me. So dramatic.

by Anonymousreply 202March 17, 2018 5:37 PM

I agree that this movie was pretty over the top but how in the world did Hepburn and Taylor get Academy Award nominations? Was it an off year?

by Anonymousreply 203March 17, 2018 10:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!