Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘God’s Own Country’ Trailer: A Taut Gay Romance With Verité Intimacy Set In The Yorkshire Countryside

[quote]Francis Lee's debut feature is the rare gay film that does not sacrifice artistry for representation.

[quote]The sexual tension mingles with the mud and sweat of a hard day’s farm work in Francis Lee’s stunnign debut film, “God’s Own Country,” which released its first official trailer today. The movie played Sundance earlier this year to rave reviews, with its country setting and restrained storytelling earning inevitable comparisons to “Brokeback Mountain.” But “God’s Own Country” has the benefit of two fresh young faces in the leads (Josh O’Connor and Alec Secareanu) to fully inhabit the roles with no prior associations, as well as the freedom to buck Hollywood tropes. Including that pesky one where gay films have to end in tragedy.

[quote]The film is set in the bleak but beautiful Yorkshire countryside, where young Johnny (O’Connor) carries the burden of managing his family’s livelihood int he wake of his father’s stroke. To help with lambing season, the family hires a Romanian migrant worker named Gheorghe (Secareanu). While Johnny is well-versed in soliciting random sex at livestock auctions, he isn’t prepared for the intensity of real human connection. But when the two head up the mountain to birth the lambs, things get very muddy.

[quote]Beautifully rendered and engaging from beginning to end, “God’s Own Country” is the kind of gay film more people should be making. The almost documentary-style farm scenes elevate it way beyond more conventional gay dramas, and it doesn’t make the mistake of confusing tragedy with quality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491June 29, 2019 2:26 AM

[quote]But when the two head up the mountain to birth the lambs, things get very muddy.

This is why bottoms should always prepare.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2017 4:22 PM

Josh O'Connor is in The Durrells (in Corfu). His Durrells co-star Callum Woodhouse plays gay in an episode of The Brit show Cold Feet.

God's Own Country looks quite nice.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2017 4:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2017 10:56 PM

Lambing? Is that what the kids are calling it now?

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2017 9:57 PM
by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2017 7:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2017 7:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2017 7:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2017 7:27 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2017 7:27 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2017 7:28 PM

Hawt!!

by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2017 7:37 PM

Looks frau fanfic-ish.

by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2017 7:39 PM

Did he stink of the lamb?

by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2017 8:50 PM

the sex scenes are supposed to be full-frontal in regards to nudity and very graphic, make of that what you will. some people walked out during them at the Sundance premiere of the film.

by Anonymousreply 14June 29, 2017 9:04 PM

[quote]With subtle strokes and subdued revelations, Lee's screenplay lays out the development of an unexpected relationship that changes Johnny in ways that are painful, profound and ultimately freeing. At first, he's resistant to his father's insistence on hiring a temporary worker to help during lambing season. And he makes no effort to be friendly when Gheorghe (Alec Secareanu) arrives, taunting the handsome Romanian migrant by calling him a gypsy. But when the two young men are sent off to work a paddock up on the remote moors, requiring them to camp out overnight in a stone shelter, hostility gives way to physical attraction.

[quote]Lee and cinematographer Joshua James Richards make skillful atmospheric use of the rugged hill country, which looks gloomy even in spring, creating a melancholy mood and a somber canvas for the spontaneous eruption of desire between the two strangers. Their first sexual tussle is combative, angry, their naked bodies smeared in grass and mud, like animals. But while they revert to a circumspect mutual distance during the long daylight working hours, their nights together gradually give way to gentler sexual exploration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2017 9:11 PM

I hope it comes with subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2017 9:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2017 12:48 PM

Oh yes, another "but they're so masculine how could they be gay???" straight person film. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 18June 30, 2017 1:14 PM

New still

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 26, 2017 8:07 AM

Had a ticket to see this at my local film festival but fell asleep and missed it.

by Anonymousreply 20July 26, 2017 8:35 AM

Why is it that in these award-baiting LGBT films the men are always so unattractive?

by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2017 8:50 AM

this movie is crazy sexy and so good, I prefer it over CMBYN.

by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2017 8:53 AM

R21 they're a lot hotter in motion, even the borderline anorexic looking english guy. their chemistry is phenomenal, can't remember the last time I saw that between two actors in a gay movie.

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2017 9:00 AM

God, I'm bored already by it, and have zero desire to see it!!!

How many of these tedious loner meets fish-out-of-water gay love stories must one endure before someone cries halt? They're as predictable as coming out stories, and just as BORING. The only movie that did it right was "We Were One Man" way back in 1979, and that only worked because of the great twist: German pilot gets shot down, rescued by French loner farmer, love ensues, BUT the farmer turns out to be psychotic. Having reached that bar, one would have thought gay filmmakers would seek to go further, but no, the genre has devolved into tedium.

NEXT!!!!

by Anonymousreply 24July 26, 2017 9:02 AM

Is this a Brit version of Brokeback Mountain? The films publicity trolls are really pushing it on DL.

by Anonymousreply 25July 26, 2017 9:26 AM

Bonus content: Gypsy cock!

by Anonymousreply 26July 26, 2017 10:08 AM

>The films publicity trolls are really pushing it on DL.

Yeah. The posts do have the scent of a naked shill.

We're not goin. OK? The millennials may go. They haven't sat through a previous 1,000 movies telling the same old chestnut in different guises. Oooh look, they're pretty. No they're not. Oooh the sex scenes are really ardent and you see....naked LIMBS.

Ooo Mary. Someone hand me ma fan!

by Anonymousreply 27July 26, 2017 10:19 AM

Metro

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 26, 2017 3:40 PM

A sheep horn is as good as a tire iron in the Yorkshire moors.

by Anonymousreply 29July 26, 2017 3:48 PM

Going to wait to watch at home with closed captions.

by Anonymousreply 30July 26, 2017 3:53 PM

SPOILER WARNING

I really wanted to see this movie... until I heard that it has a sad ending (well... not sad per se, but the two guys don't end up together).

by Anonymousreply 31July 26, 2017 3:59 PM

nope, they do end up together in the end r31, the final scene is sweet. the movie is very romantic AND erotic which is rare in my experience, kind of the gay answer to blue is the warmest color that we deserve. maybe you're thinking about another movie? beach rats has an awful ending (the main character was vile throughout).

by Anonymousreply 32July 26, 2017 4:16 PM

Are the leads straight guys? That is the tradition with gay cinema.

by Anonymousreply 33July 26, 2017 4:50 PM

R32, no.. I read an interview with the Romanian actor, they asked him if he thought the characters would be together in the end, he said no. That's why I assumed the characters do not end up together, but I guess I was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 34July 26, 2017 4:55 PM

R33 Yes. The Romanian has a girlfriend and the other one used to date Hannah Murray who was on Game of Thrones

by Anonymousreply 35July 26, 2017 4:56 PM

Thanks for BOTH spoilers.

by Anonymousreply 36July 26, 2017 4:59 PM

r34 huh, maybe he meant that he thought they wouldn't last? do you have a link to the interview?

by Anonymousreply 37July 26, 2017 5:00 PM

Thanks r35, as expected.

by Anonymousreply 38July 26, 2017 5:01 PM

Here are the reviews on letterboxd for anyone wanting more spoilers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 26, 2017 5:11 PM

Those straight actors... so brave!

by Anonymousreply 40July 26, 2017 6:12 PM

R37 Here..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 26, 2017 6:14 PM

Dear Lord in heaven!

by Anonymousreply 42July 26, 2017 6:17 PM

Sounds pretty generic, to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 43July 26, 2017 6:20 PM

Sounds like a plot for one of those MM romance books that everyone on DL usually deride. There's lots out there involving farms although there's usually at least one Amish guy in them.

by Anonymousreply 44July 26, 2017 6:35 PM

[quote]BROWN: Did you and Francis discuss where your character goes after the film ends? [quote]O’CONNOR: No. I have my own theory. I hope that they maybe have a summer on that farm together. I actually think it's better they're not together for the rest of their lives. I think it's a really cool snapshot.

That was pretty sweet though, and realistic considering Gheorghe is the first one in Johnny's life to show and teach him love/true intimacy

R44 I kind of agree with you but at least it was written and directed by a gay man, unlike many other gay movies

by Anonymousreply 45July 26, 2017 6:43 PM

O'Connor probably grew up in one of those tribes that binds the infant's head with boards to change the head shape.

by Anonymousreply 46July 26, 2017 7:14 PM

[quote]The posts do have the scent of a naked shill.

Pics please r27.

by Anonymousreply 47July 26, 2017 7:17 PM

R39 The reviews are written by the same publicity trolls pushing it on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 48July 26, 2017 9:12 PM

"taut gay romance with vérité intimacy" is so fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 49July 26, 2017 11:20 PM

Why attack this movie before even seeing it? It's like there are hundreds of gay movies every year. It's not the most original story - so what? Gay stories are still too rare.

by Anonymousreply 50July 27, 2017 1:44 AM

Josh O'Connor showed off his sexy legs a lot in The Durrells. I look forward to seeing the rest of him.

by Anonymousreply 51July 27, 2017 1:52 AM

Hawt gypsy cawk!

by Anonymousreply 52July 27, 2017 2:47 AM

My friend once sucked an Irish gypsy. We were staying in a hotel in London and he went on a premium rate phone line and got this gypsy to come to the hotel. This was about a year before grindr came out.

I didn't see the gypsy, but my friend said he was attractive. However, my friend is also a huge slut and has very very low standards, so the chances of the guy actually being attractive on an objective level is pretty remote.

by Anonymousreply 53July 27, 2017 3:10 AM

Didn't we just get "Before the Fall"?

by Anonymousreply 54July 27, 2017 3:14 AM

Is this streaming for free anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 55July 27, 2017 3:24 AM

No, R55, it hasn't even premiered in movie theaters yet, not in a wide release anyway.

by Anonymousreply 56July 27, 2017 11:10 AM

When does the story take place? "Brokeback Mountain" took place in the early 1960's.

by Anonymousreply 57July 27, 2017 12:10 PM

The Metro article in print

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 27, 2017 1:42 PM

"They should have moved to London."

by Anonymousreply 59July 27, 2017 1:49 PM

r57 it takes place in 2016. besides them being gay sheep farmers and a scene where one of them smells a sweater belonging to the other one (who's left), it really isn't like brokeback at all. there isn't any homophobia or external factors that stand in the way of their relationship. one odd thing was that no one seems to use cellphones or computers even though it's set in modern day lol.

by Anonymousreply 60July 27, 2017 2:19 PM

Any Romanians here that care to translate? His part starts at 08:02

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 27, 2017 3:58 PM

>"taut gay romance with vérité intimacy"

Vérité intimacy?! Be still my beating heart!

Wasn't the promotional tag for Dawson's 50 Load Weekend?

by Anonymousreply 62July 28, 2017 1:29 PM

I guess there will be some spoilers ahead. Anyway, it's a very good film. And its take on gayness is really fresh - not only it's not that big an issue, the fact that the protagonist is gay is what's enabling the old order, the traditional way of living of this rural farmers family, to survive. Had Johnny been straight, he probably would not stay in the farm, for it's made clear no girl would want to live in this god forsaken place, but an English girl's hell is a Romanian farm boy's idea of heaven. And this understanding of local (it's one of the most believable depiction of farm life ever) as well as international social structure, combined with current gender sensitivities and multi generational dynamics and inner family politics, is what make GOC such a compelling piece.

And yes, it's rather graphic - in it's extremely realistic depiction of tending to livestock (I'm a farm boy, but city folks around me seemed to find it harsh), and yes, in the way the sex scenes are, although the relatively lengthy one in which both lovers are nude (yes, full frontal), is a post colital one.

by Anonymousreply 63July 28, 2017 2:53 PM

Looks good! Too bad all gay movies coming out this year are overshadowed by CMBYN. Care to share more about the sex scenes R63?

by Anonymousreply 64July 29, 2017 12:17 AM

R24, This a sincere question for you--I'm curious what you want to see if you find this plot boring? What would hold your interest?

by Anonymousreply 65July 29, 2017 4:00 AM

Josh O'Connor talking about the film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 3, 2017 5:52 PM

Sounds good. A rural setting for a gay story is refreshing. One more gentle push for homophobes to go away and leave us alone. It's not as if we're asking them to suck our cock.

by Anonymousreply 67August 3, 2017 5:58 PM

Looks great! Does anyone know what the title refers to?

I wish Sony Pictures Classics had chosen this one to distribute instead of... [italic]that[/italic] one. Bleurgh.

by Anonymousreply 68August 3, 2017 8:59 PM

What is "[italic]that[/italic] one"?

by Anonymousreply 69August 3, 2017 9:05 PM

R64 has the answer.

Can you tell me what the title means or are you just going to interrogate me further?

by Anonymousreply 70August 3, 2017 9:08 PM

R70 'God's Own Country' is Yorkshire slang/a nickname for Yorkshire. They also call it God's Own [html removed]County[html removed] apparently

by Anonymousreply 71August 3, 2017 9:31 PM

R71 Thanks! That's interesting, I thought it was referring to the whole of UK, what with the immigration angle and all.

by Anonymousreply 72August 3, 2017 9:35 PM

What's CMBYN?

[quote] this year are overshadowed by CMBYN

by Anonymousreply 73August 3, 2017 9:55 PM

Call Me by Your Name, R73. It's a Luca Guadagnino film that'll be out later this year as well. It centers around a summer romance between a 17 year old boy and a 24 year old man somewhere in Northern Italy in the 80s

by Anonymousreply 74August 3, 2017 10:09 PM

TYEGIS R74

by Anonymousreply 75August 3, 2017 10:33 PM

I need a tender Romanian sheep farmer boyfriend too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 4, 2017 1:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 4, 2017 4:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 9, 2017 5:14 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 9, 2017 5:21 AM

I saw this a couple of weeks ago. It has a few good moments but it's VERY slow to the point you really don't care what happens. It's a shame because it has potential. Some of the English dialect was tough to understand as well, which is a shame. Yes, a little generic as well...could take place anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 80August 9, 2017 5:41 AM

Is this the foreign version of Brokeback Mountain?

by Anonymousreply 81August 9, 2017 5:57 AM

:-[ someone please tell those filthy lambs to SHUT THE FUCK UP !

by Anonymousreply 82August 9, 2017 6:00 AM

R80 Well, that's disappointing to hear. I was hoping it would be able to steal the spotlight from that other one but I guess that's not happening now. Especially if it doesn't have enough of an emotional punch in addition to the slow pacing.

by Anonymousreply 83August 9, 2017 2:46 PM

Why "taut"? When does it open in the USA?

by Anonymousreply 84August 9, 2017 2:50 PM

27 October.

This being DL, I'm pretty sure the "taut" part refers to butts, and not to the structure of the movie or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 85August 9, 2017 3:05 PM

I loved the pace of the movie and thought it added so much to the story, every scene aids the next in subtle ways and the build-up is fantastic. the yorkshire accent is very difficult to understand if you’re not used to it, Gheorghe was the only one I understood without a problem. the protagonist Johnny is very unsympathetic the first third of the movie and it’s hard to see what Gheorghe sees in him considering he could get anyone he wanted. overall it’s very unsentimental and there’s next to no music in it, it’s rawer and more sexual than CMBYN (which I wasn’t blown away by). I loved the movie, it’s truly romantic and is the love story gay cinema needs - I wanted to watch it again the minute it finished. it IS better than CMBYN but most heterosexual film critics/cinema goers will definitely prefer the latter one considering it was made for them.

by Anonymousreply 86August 9, 2017 3:14 PM

[quote]the yorkshire accent is very difficult to understand if you’re not used to it

Thanks. I'll wait 'til I can watch it at home. Is that where "A Beautiful Thing" took place? I couldn't understand a word of it, and the DVD didn't have closed captions.

by Anonymousreply 87August 9, 2017 3:19 PM

R86 That's more encouraging to hear!

What accent does the Romanian guy have? Has he been in the country long?

by Anonymousreply 88August 9, 2017 3:22 PM

R87 don’t think I’ve seen that movie but google tells me it takes place in south east London so that would be more of a cockney accent. everyone in Billy Elliot speak with yorkshire/northern accents so take that one as reference. R88 he has a bit of an accent, but he mentions that his mother was an english teacher back in Romania. Gheorghe is very interesting overall and on his own - he’s quiet, gentle and shows his vulnerability unapologetically in ways that only enhance his masculinity. he has patience like no other until people (Johnny) take it too far. the acting is A+, as is the script and direction. I’m completely sold on it.

by Anonymousreply 89August 9, 2017 3:58 PM

New still

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90August 9, 2017 4:15 PM

I'll see it because 1 I want to support gay mainstream film making 2) the cinematography looks interesting and 3) it seems to have been generally well received at a number of festivals.

Because my partner and I are ranchers in Colorado and live pretty open and free I don't understand the angst in this film's trailer. Who the hell in the developed world is this tortured about being gay? Are the Moors the equivalent of rural Mississippi or something?

by Anonymousreply 91August 9, 2017 4:36 PM

R91 I'd be willing to bet that most of the working class in Yorkshire and the majority of Romania is less accepting of homosexuality than the most rural and remote parts of Colorado.

I'm sure we'll get past this angst in queer cinema eventually. Unfortch, it's still a reality for most gay people across the globe.

by Anonymousreply 92August 9, 2017 4:54 PM

I think it looks good. Gotta SMH at some of you people.

by Anonymousreply 93August 9, 2017 5:00 PM

R91- I'd say he's tortured because he feel trapped in his life, having no option but staying in that farm, taking care of everything and everyone and having no time or place of his own, not about being gay.

by Anonymousreply 94August 9, 2017 5:13 PM

R91 I’ve seen it and there is next to no homophobia in the film, internalized or otherwise. Johnny is actively gay even before Gheorghe comes to the farm- he hooks up with random guys but never wants to go on a date with them etc. Johnny isn’t miserable because he’s gay it’s because he’s an alcoholic fuck-up who’s forced to work on the farm in isolation. He’s depressed and doesn’t know what he wants, his relationship with Gheorghe and what it does to him changes that. Johnny’s family is also very accepting when they find out about the two of them (the grandmother finds a used condom lol). Gheorghe doesn’t have any issues with being gay either, he’s even more comfortable in his skin and open about who he is - he introduces Johnny to the joys of intimacy, kissing, making love as opposed to fucking etc. it has some of the best sex scenes I’ve ever seen so there’s that too.

by Anonymousreply 95August 9, 2017 5:43 PM

[quote]everyone in Billy Elliot speak with yorkshire/northern accents so take that one as reference.

Thanks, R89. I just saw Billy Elliot again this month (in a theatre), and I could make out maybe a quarter of what was said. It was perhaps less difficult because I'd seen it before, but now I know I'll wait to see GOC at home.

by Anonymousreply 96August 9, 2017 5:45 PM

[quote]I need a tender Romanian sheep farmer boyfriend too.

I believe Muriel is considering this for the new, eagerly-anticipated DL slogan.

by Anonymousreply 97August 9, 2017 5:51 PM

R96 do go support gay movies at the cinema though! I promise GOC is worth seeing on the big screen, it’s gorgeous and the cinematography alone is worth going for. you /will/ understand 90% of it, even when you don’t it’s so well-acted you still understand what’s going on and essentially being said.

by Anonymousreply 98August 9, 2017 6:02 PM

R98, I hate seeing movies in theatres. "The big screen" has never been a pro argument for me.

by Anonymousreply 99August 9, 2017 6:04 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 9, 2017 6:43 PM

Empire review

[quote]A dig into the nature of humanity from a director already fluent in the language of brutality and tenderness. A stunning love story that in its finest moments is pure poetry. [...]To compare this film to Brokeback Mountain is to be entirely reductive and deny God’s Own Country the credit it so deserves. This is a full-throated, full-hearted gay love story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 9, 2017 8:39 PM

The Romanian actor is HAF, but the Brit is well, Hiddleston-ish.

by Anonymousreply 102August 9, 2017 9:45 PM

R89, R96 Actually the characters in Billy Elliot have Geordie accents since it takes place in the North-East (Newcastle, Durham). This is what Yorkshire people sound like, essentially:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 9, 2017 10:08 PM

Brokeback Blokes or Bloke-back Mountain

by Anonymousreply 104August 9, 2017 10:09 PM

Here’s a list of Yorkshire-isms

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 9, 2017 10:10 PM

If the boys would white-wash the interior of that dreary farm house it might cheer them up a bit.

by Anonymousreply 106August 9, 2017 10:20 PM

Did any animals die during the filming of this picture?

by Anonymousreply 107August 9, 2017 10:23 PM

R104 "Green is the Coldest Color"

by Anonymousreply 108August 9, 2017 11:33 PM

"Moonblight"

You know, 'cause they're farmers...

by Anonymousreply 109August 9, 2017 11:38 PM

Another review praising it, this one has many spoilers though just a heads up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 10, 2017 1:11 AM

Can't wait for this movie! It actually sounds quite good AND it has gay sex! Unlike that other highly anticipated gay movie.

by Anonymousreply 111August 10, 2017 5:26 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 10, 2017 7:41 PM

Do sheep farmers not smile? I don't understand why they look so miserable.

by Anonymousreply 113August 11, 2017 3:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 14, 2017 7:21 PM

The British guy could be hotter. He looks special needs. The Romanian is hawt tho

by Anonymousreply 115August 14, 2017 8:08 PM

The British guy looks special needs in stills but is hot as hell moving on screen, believe me. He's a wonderful actor with a broad range as evidenced from various youtube clips. He also has a mammoth plonker as we get to see in one scene which bumps him up considerably on the sexiness scale.

by Anonymousreply 116August 14, 2017 8:54 PM

Nobody plays masochism like Jason Isaacs, but I suppose he is too old.

by Anonymousreply 117August 14, 2017 9:15 PM

The character is 24 so no R117

by Anonymousreply 118August 14, 2017 9:26 PM

The Romanian is gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 14, 2017 9:30 PM

R116 Tell us more about the movie!! Did you like it?

by Anonymousreply 120August 14, 2017 9:31 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 15, 2017 12:16 PM

Adds to the "taut," r113.

by Anonymousreply 122August 15, 2017 1:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123August 17, 2017 6:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 21, 2017 4:17 PM

R124 Well that looks intense.

by Anonymousreply 125August 21, 2017 4:49 PM

Brokeback in Yorkshire Moors?

by Anonymousreply 126August 21, 2017 4:58 PM

It's not fucking "Brokeback."

by Anonymousreply 127August 21, 2017 5:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 24, 2017 2:34 PM

Tom Holland and Tim O'Tay need to do this sort of movie together.

by Anonymousreply 129August 24, 2017 6:40 PM

i-D Magazine feature. Ignore the writer's refusal to call it a gay film though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130August 31, 2017 9:30 PM

It premieres today, right? Does anyone here plan on seeing it?

by Anonymousreply 131September 1, 2017 4:08 PM

Has anyone seen it now that it's in theaters?

by Anonymousreply 132September 3, 2017 1:13 PM

Ryan Gilbey in The New Statesman: "A love story for the Brexit times"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 3, 2017 3:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 15, 2017 3:36 PM

Douglas Booth has over the past few months liked tons of twitter posts about this movie. I guess one of the actors is his friend, but still 😏

by Anonymousreply 135September 15, 2017 4:35 PM

Just back from seeing it and enjoyed it a lot. There were a couple of slightly clumsy early set-up scenes to demonstrate the Yorkshire guy, John's depression and frustration, but it flowed really well. Also (and I don't really know how they did this) as the love story developed, John became more and more handsome. The Romanian guy was gorgeous from the word go.

by Anonymousreply 136September 15, 2017 10:39 PM

My review here - loved it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 16, 2017 12:06 AM

it’s a great movie and worth seeing for the scenes of gheorghe taking care of the little lamb alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138September 16, 2017 1:11 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139September 16, 2017 1:12 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 16, 2017 8:59 AM

"Do sheep farmers not smile? I don't understand why they look so miserable"

My uncle was a sheep farmer in Scotland until his death - it is a miserable lonely life.

When uncle died, his son sold up, went to university and now lives a "normal life" in London - and as for sheep, if he ever sees another one, it will be ten thousand years too soon...

by Anonymousreply 141September 16, 2017 2:21 PM

I finally watched it and loved it from start to finish, it’s a very unsentimental love story that’s intense and gentle at the same time - both physically and emotionally. To me it evoked the same feelings that Weekend and The Levelling did rather than Brokeback Mountain. It’s a poignant film that will be even better on second viewing but probably isn’t for everyone considering it’s very slow-paced with little dialogue. The sex scenes were great and used in a way to tell the story rather than being gratuitous à la Blue Is the Warmest Color. Definitely a better and sexier film than Call Me By Your Name

by Anonymousreply 142September 16, 2017 6:28 PM

>>Definitely a better and sexier film than Call Me By Your Name, or so says r142, sight unseen...

by Anonymousreply 143September 20, 2017 4:02 AM

R143 Well, CMBYN is more an ephebophile film for straights, who think that's what 'gay' is, so some of us have little interest in it.

Reading the lengthy review posted, it sounds like it's a romantic fantasy, and I will see it. Though I must admit I actually hate sex scenes in films, because they always seem so out of place, and are often clunky and badly staged. Plus, it can be odd in a theater surrounded by strangers. I do wish the actors were actually gay. It should be that way, in my opinion. But I'll definitely support this with my $.

by Anonymousreply 144September 20, 2017 4:27 AM

Wow, total Brokeback ripoff.

I actually feel like watching Jake and Heath again, thanks to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 145September 20, 2017 4:50 AM

Now this movie is what I'm talking about. A beautiful romantic film between 2 hot masculine men. And the deal seal for me is that it's NOT some weepy frau tragedy. I won't watch 9 out of 10 gay themed movies because I don't do maudlin tear jerkers. The actors are ruggedly handsome and their chemistry is obvious. So.... hell to the fucking yeah. I want to see this film. Badly.

by Anonymousreply 146September 20, 2017 6:04 AM

NME review

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147September 20, 2017 1:23 PM

NYC gays can finally see it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 8, 2017 3:29 PM

Wonderful movie. Lovely penises.

by Anonymousreply 149October 8, 2017 3:34 PM

It opens in NYC on the 25th

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150October 10, 2017 8:40 AM

They released a scene from it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151October 10, 2017 8:35 PM

Stadt Land Fluss.

by Anonymousreply 152October 10, 2017 9:50 PM

Brokeback Ripoff.

by Anonymousreply 153October 10, 2017 10:25 PM

It's doing better on Rotten Tomatoes than CMBYN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154October 21, 2017 4:37 PM

R154 That's delicious and it makes me smile, HOWEVER...

The average rating (the metric you should [italic]really[/italic] be paying attention to on RT) for this movie is 8.3 while CMBYN has 9.0. Both have been reviewed by 57 critics, although CMBYN has five more Top Critics in it stack.

And looking at Metacritic, CMBYN has a score of 94 (14 critics) while GOC has a score of 80 (12 critics).

It'll be interesting to see how much (if at all) this changes by the time the awards season arrives.

by Anonymousreply 155October 21, 2017 4:51 PM

God’s Own Country is an unapologetically gay movie and love story with graphic sex scenes and full-frontal nudity unlike CMBYN which is a bisexual movie about a summer romance between a teenager and a man seven years his senior. The only sex scenes in it are the hetero ones between Elio and Marzia (two in total). CMBYN, book and movie, is for straight people and straight women in particular - they made up 70% of the audience when I saw it. Both are very good movies but God’s Own Country is better and more interesting overall. A Bigger Splash and I Am Love are superior Luca-movies but CMBYN is worth seeing for Timothee Chalamet alone, he’s phenomenal. God's Own Country resonated with me a lot more on all levels, I’d recommend seeing that one over CMBYN

by Anonymousreply 156October 21, 2017 8:14 PM

R156 That movie is a misfire on so many levels in my view but it has a twink in it so I dare not say a single thing about it in its official thread. But the fact that one of the (straight) actors is now reportedly working his ass off to clinch the Oscar nom for a gay movie makes me want to join an evangelical group and actively campaign against it. I'm never seeing it either way.

Anyway, I'll ignore that one and hope this one does well. This attached tweet I saw the other day (one in a series of six!) puts into perspective how good a year 2017 was for queer cinema. I'll try and inform everyone I know that there isn't just one gay flick per year. And I'm much more prepared (and comfortable) to spotlight gay actors as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157October 21, 2017 8:48 PM

r157 how I wish that people would stop calling lgbt things and especially gay things queer. it’s such a fucking pet peeve of mine, most gays and lesbians I know don’t use or like that word let alone use queer and gay interchangeably - it’s only certain media, transexuals and the genderfluids/pansexuals/etc that insist on it. NO.

by Anonymousreply 158October 21, 2017 9:06 PM

also this film is really good and not what I expected at all, it's probably been ten years since I saw a film twice in the cinema. go see it if you have the chance, it's brutal and so beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 159October 21, 2017 9:12 PM

Caught this at the Chicago International Film Festival last week and it wrecked me. It was so beautiful and moving. Fantastic performances. Gorgeous cinematography. Please see it and support it.

by Anonymousreply 160October 21, 2017 9:22 PM

How much dong is in this?

by Anonymousreply 161October 21, 2017 9:59 PM

I like the romance, sexual tension and love story. But do penises make an appearance in the film?

by Anonymousreply 162October 21, 2017 10:29 PM

Yes, how you can tell the film is not an American production, it actually has penises in it.

by Anonymousreply 163October 21, 2017 10:36 PM

Why does the Romanian like this silly little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 164October 21, 2017 10:52 PM

The Romanian is a borderline Manic Pixie Dream Boy who is almost too sweet and nurturing- but you get the impression throughout the film that he gets off from taming Johnny who’s completely inarticulate and practically feral, teaching him how to love and be gentle. There is nudity but it never feels gratuitous since the film doesn’t shy away from anything, especially the animal stuff on the farm which was brutal at times. The film is very unsentimental and painfully intimate, the characters felt so real and at times I felt like I was spying on them. Three people walked in total out during different sex scenes when I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 165October 22, 2017 6:10 AM

Some scenes from the movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 22, 2017 5:16 PM

[quote]There is nudity but it never feels gratuitous

Nudity never needs to feel gratuitous, people are naked sometimes, especially when you telling a love story.

The way most productions want to go out of the way and only show certain angles to avoid *gasp* seeing a human body is what is always silly and gratuitous to me.

by Anonymousreply 167October 22, 2017 5:19 PM

What's this director's excuse for hiring an exclusively straight cast

by Anonymousreply 168October 22, 2017 5:22 PM

R168 I’m guessing it’s because they were ‘perfect for the roles’ or whatever. I loved the film but would’ve loved it more if the characters were placed by gay actors. At least the director is gay. Lesbians on film are never played by actual lesbians either. It’s annoying seeing straight actors get praise for playing gay roles.

by Anonymousreply 169October 22, 2017 5:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170October 22, 2017 6:24 PM

This was borderline soft porn.

by Anonymousreply 171October 22, 2017 8:20 PM

Need confirmation of dongs before I splurge on a ticket.

by Anonymousreply 172October 22, 2017 8:23 PM

there's full-frontal nudity from both of them, r172. dongs confirmed. the sex scenes are very long and pretty great.

by Anonymousreply 173October 22, 2017 8:40 PM

Need confirmation of erect dongs before I splooge on a ticket.

by Anonymousreply 174October 22, 2017 8:55 PM

why not watch porn instead since you have no interest in this film other than their genitals r174?

by Anonymousreply 175October 22, 2017 9:09 PM

[quote]Brokeback Ripoff

Not unless they end up apart at the end, one partner murdered with the Yorkshire Countryside version of a tire iron (a sheep hoof?).

by Anonymousreply 176October 22, 2017 9:32 PM

What r158 said. I have no interest whatsoever in seeing "queer" movies. I want to see gay movies. I will see both of these. And I will not be calling either pair of characters "queer".

by Anonymousreply 177October 22, 2017 9:35 PM

Queer representation matters doe.

by Anonymousreply 178October 22, 2017 9:40 PM

r178 you're obviously not alone in thinking that but using gay and queer interchangeably and equating gay to queer doesn't sit well with most gay people. can't gay things just be gay?

by Anonymousreply 179October 22, 2017 9:44 PM

I am not queer. I am gay.

by Anonymousreply 180October 22, 2017 9:47 PM

If you are gay, you are queer, dear. But if you are queer, you are not Nestle Sara Lee gay.

by Anonymousreply 181October 22, 2017 9:50 PM

No, dear, I am not queer. Just gay.

by Anonymousreply 182October 22, 2017 9:52 PM

[quote]Nestle Sara Lee gay

????????????

by Anonymousreply 183October 22, 2017 9:53 PM

queer is generally seen and used as an umbrella term for 'not straight', that's why they keep pushing gay people and gay things into that word. I fucking hate it, I'll never be queer or 'not straight' - why can't gay people just have their identity and be left alone. the queer pushers are the same people that insist that human biology isn't factual and biological sex isn't real. and you're apparently a bigot if you won't fuck a vagina as a gay man or take a penis as a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 184October 22, 2017 9:56 PM

I loved that scene, R170 later on in a post-sex moment Gheorghe licks the wound on Johnny’s hand, it’s very erotic and sweet. Johnny’s face was everything.

by Anonymousreply 185October 22, 2017 10:29 PM

The movie is a great addition to Queer Cinema.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186October 22, 2017 10:38 PM

It wouldn't be the DL without some eldergays getting irrationally upset over the term queer.

by Anonymousreply 187October 22, 2017 11:02 PM

r187, these are not eldergays. It's trolls pretending to be eldergays stirring up shit to create infighting. Drop the Censored Alphabet Letter! Drop the Queer! Drop the Gay Allies! Drop the Lesbian Fish! Burn the Bs, they are scum!

by Anonymousreply 188October 22, 2017 11:11 PM

I do think the older demo of this board as a lot to do with it, queer is a term that was first embraced by academics and then embraced by the younger gay set.

The old traditional gay set still thinks of the word as a slur even though it has long been reclaimed.

by Anonymousreply 189October 22, 2017 11:12 PM

Hissssssssssssss! Hissssssssssssssss!

by Anonymousreply 190October 22, 2017 11:16 PM

Eldergays had A LOT OF TIME to get used to queer and its cultural usage within the gay movement. It makes more sense for trolls to pretend to be eldergays than eldergays, who apparently fight severe dementia, finding their way to Datalounge to rant about how hurtful the word queer is to them while having completely forgotten about its meaning from the 90s to now.

by Anonymousreply 191October 22, 2017 11:25 PM

Michael Musto's review:

[quote]And that’s not the end of gays getting fucked. Homophobes who found Brokeback Mountain squeam-inducing will be projectile vomiting during God’s Own Country, and that’s a good review. In its tale of inarticulate men meeting and mating, it’s real and immediate, with sex scenes that are tough and believable—and sexy. I usually half close my eyes in embarrassment during screen encounters, but this time I was riveted and even aroused, and I’m not a young girl!

[quote]In this first feature by Francis Lee—SPOILER ALERT—Johnny Saxby (Josh O’Connor) works on his family’s farm in northern England, tending to some passive looking sheep in between casual sex acts that are passionate but impersonal. (He refuses to kiss his male partner or go for “a pint” with him after the deed. He simply turns the bloke around and, with both standing up, plows him till climax.) All of that changes when a Romanian migrant worker named Gheorghe (Alec Secareanu) drops by the farm as a temp and stirs up unforeseen emotions. Gheorghe is strong, enigmatic, and very handy, and soon enough antagonism between them turns to sex and eventually tenderness. “Fuck you, fag,” they half-joke to each other, fetishizing their oppressive place in the world. But Gheorghe becomes very sweet toward Johnny, who isn’t quite ready to handle it—or is he? The Hollywood-style ending is the only weak point of the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192October 23, 2017 6:06 PM

Micheal Musto was aroused, meaning erect in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 193October 23, 2017 6:20 PM

R192 “Homophobes will be projectile vomiting during God’s Own Country, and that’s a good review.” Lmao

by Anonymousreply 194October 24, 2017 1:29 PM

R193, I thought The David was closed down.

by Anonymousreply 195October 24, 2017 1:57 PM

I’m into it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196October 24, 2017 3:26 PM

Everybody in the sheep dip!

by Anonymousreply 197October 24, 2017 4:23 PM

I can't wait to see this

by Anonymousreply 198October 24, 2017 5:03 PM

New York Times review [quote]Trapped between skies like beaten tin and earth scrubbed raw by wind and rain, the characters in “God’s Own Country” are well used to harshness. Like Johnny (Josh O’Connor), who labors on his struggling family farm in Yorkshire under the critical eyes of his sick father (Ian Hart) and stolid grandmother (Gemma Jones). For relief, he vents his frustrations in binge-drinking and furtive, feral sex with random young men.

[quote]These taciturn encounters, unfolding as unsentimentally as the internal exam he gives a pregnant heifer, suggest someone disgusted by his own sorry self. But this bracing, sometimes brutal movie — the feature debut of the writer and director Francis Lee — doesn’t present Johnny’s sexuality as the cause of his self-loathing. Rather, it’s his imprisonment by a legacy he’s not sure he wants that ties his tongue and clots his emotions.

[quote]The arrival of Gheorghe (Alec Secareanu), a gentle, darkly handsome Romanian migrant worker, softens Johnny’s heart and the movie’s tone. Their passion isn’t pretty, but awkward and pasty and explicit: two frantic strangers grappling in the muck of the moors. Yet Gheorghe is skilled at handling more than newborn lambs; and as the men grow closer, the glowering light grows warmer and the whole picture seems to briefly exhale. Filmed with a naturalism that recalls Andrea Arnold’s 2012 dive into “Wuthering Heights,” “God’s Own Country” weaves a rough magic from Joshua James Richards’s biting cinematography and the story’s slow, unsteady arc from bitter to hopeful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199October 24, 2017 7:16 PM

I'm glad it's getting such great reviews, it's the best gay film of 2017 to me.

by Anonymousreply 200October 24, 2017 9:51 PM

That damn lucky lamb.

Why can't a sexy gentle scruffy Romanian hunk ever give me mouth-to-mouth?

Does he bottom or top in the movie? Or do they flip?

by Anonymousreply 201October 25, 2017 6:01 AM

I think he bottoms. They might flip, can’t remember.

by Anonymousreply 202October 25, 2017 10:39 AM

A when be this open?

by Anonymousreply 203October 25, 2017 11:44 AM

R203 It opens tonight in NYC at the IFC Center, the director and cast will be there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204October 25, 2017 2:13 PM

It is in very limited release, if you don't live in like New York or LA who knows if it will come to you.

by Anonymousreply 205October 25, 2017 2:22 PM

Count me as another gay man who isn't queer.

by Anonymousreply 206October 25, 2017 2:41 PM

U.S. dates:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207October 25, 2017 4:27 PM

Naturally, it's not coming to Pittsburgh.

by Anonymousreply 208October 25, 2017 6:35 PM

Thanks r207. Columbia, SC looks so out of place on that list, how odd.

by Anonymousreply 209October 25, 2017 6:39 PM

I love living in a city that is on that list.

by Anonymousreply 210October 25, 2017 9:24 PM

This looks interesting but the plot is identical to many, many M/M romance novels that are derided on DL.

by Anonymousreply 211October 25, 2017 9:49 PM

Would love to see it... but... I dunno when it's coming to Austin.

by Anonymousreply 212October 26, 2017 12:36 AM

Seen it. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 213October 26, 2017 12:37 AM

What is a "taut" romance?

by Anonymousreply 214October 26, 2017 3:22 PM

Like a virgin bottom. Only with love.

by Anonymousreply 215October 26, 2017 5:00 PM

Video review by Christy Lemire and Alonso Duralde. The CMBYN lack of nudity backlash gets a mention as well.

R214 It's a romance featuring homos with taut holes. Must I explain everything?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216October 26, 2017 11:03 PM

Saw this and call me by your name. This one was way better.

by Anonymousreply 217October 27, 2017 1:05 AM

Josh O'Connor (Johnny) talking about his favorite scene in the film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218October 27, 2017 6:57 AM

When will this be available for streaming? I'm so sick of waiting. I fucking hate living in Norway.

by Anonymousreply 219October 27, 2017 12:03 PM

R219 ?? It played at the Norwegian International Film Festival in Haugesund back in August and at the Oslo Fusion Film Festival (where I saw it) in September. It'll be out on DVD/bluray and streaming in early 2018 according to the official twitter

by Anonymousreply 220October 27, 2017 1:30 PM

For small movies like this most people have to wait until it goes out on streaming r219, they aren't going to have a wide distribution.

by Anonymousreply 221October 27, 2017 1:33 PM

R220 Thanks, I don't live that far from Oslo (two hour drive), I would have seen it if I had known it was playing there. I guess I'll have to wait till early 2018.

by Anonymousreply 222October 27, 2017 1:40 PM

Would one of you Norwegians marry me? I'm ready to emigrate

by Anonymousreply 223October 27, 2017 1:55 PM

It's nice the these so called critics at R216 's link liked it, but they really didn't get it, or rather didn't get it beyond the love story. It not only they don't know Yorkshire has nothing to do with Ireland, they think Jemma Jones and Ian Hart plays the protagonist parents, which they don't - they play his grandmother and his father, which is crucial to understanding the dynamics in this film and a lot of the motivations of the characters.

by Anonymousreply 224October 27, 2017 2:30 PM

Where are the sex scenes? That's all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 225October 27, 2017 2:35 PM

R204 I went to that screening in NYC with the director/stars, and I agree with R217 having seen call me by your name as well, this movie was so much more... authentic. It really was a beautiful film and love story, not to mention the most physical and intimate gay relationship I've seen in a movie to date.

by Anonymousreply 226October 27, 2017 2:37 PM

Idiots on youtube have no idea what they are talking about, I am *shocked* r224.

I see people in the comments are also calling them out for apparently not understanding Ireland and the UK are separate countries.

by Anonymousreply 227October 27, 2017 2:42 PM

R224 Yeah, the Ireland slip made me gasp but to be fair, they don't usually make huge mistakes like that in their reviews. And perhaps the grandfather and grandmother bit was lost on them because of the thick Yorkshire accent they complained about.

As an aside, English isn't my first language but I grew up watching British television so I have no problem understanding the Yorkshire or any other regional British accent. So it's really funny to me to see Americans complain about it.

by Anonymousreply 228October 27, 2017 2:42 PM

R228, based on your assessment of the accent, I have decided I will wait until I can watch it at home, so I can turn on the closed captioning.

by Anonymousreply 229October 27, 2017 2:45 PM

R227 They're not "idiots on YouTube"; Christy Lemire has been reviewing movies for RogertEbert.com and after that for Associated Press, while Alonso Duralde is the movie reviews editor for the Wrap, a senior programmer for Outfest and many other film festivals before that, and is one of the Top Reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes. Some perspective, please.

by Anonymousreply 230October 27, 2017 2:45 PM

*TheWrap

by Anonymousreply 231October 27, 2017 2:46 PM

r230 a lot of americans tend to sound like idiots regardless of what they say, some of the accents are absolutely awful and grating.

by Anonymousreply 232October 27, 2017 10:11 PM

It opens in Canada on November 3d

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233October 28, 2017 7:33 PM

R216 Alonso Duralde's husband, Dave White, who is also a movie critic, revealed in their recent podcast that he had walked out of the theatre twenty minutes into the movie when it opened Outfest because he couldn't understand a single word. He said it looked gorgeous but will wait for the subtitles when it comes out on DVD.

Seems like something filmmakers should pay more attention to in the future because it's unnecessarily harming a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 234November 5, 2017 9:09 PM

I saw it last Saturday and was surprised how good it was, my expectations were very low. The accents were hard to understand but the acting was very good especially the actors that played the mother and father. Is this what life is like on a small English farm? That was very depressing.

by Anonymousreply 235November 6, 2017 11:56 AM

R235 - GRANDmother and father, not mother and father. The mother left many years ago (not really a spoiler, it's established very early). Very crucial for understanding the motivation of the characters. Now for the spoilers.

Johnny's grandmother knows that her son's future after she's gone depends on Johnny's keeping the farm, and once she realises that him being with Gheorghe is will ensure it, she accepts their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 236November 6, 2017 12:18 PM

R235 It might have been like that even twenty years ago but there's no way young people these days have to put up with the same drudgery, what with smartphones around. And even before that, they could always unwind in local pubs.

Both joy and depression can be found in any environment in any time period so it was obviously the filmmaker's conscious choice to amplify and lean into the bleakness of it all.

by Anonymousreply 237November 6, 2017 12:20 PM

R236 I had a difficult time understanding the dialogue because of the thick accents. Thanks for clarifying.

by Anonymousreply 238November 6, 2017 2:13 PM

Excellent film. Nice to see Gemma Jones again.

by Anonymousreply 239November 6, 2017 2:16 PM

The mark of a bad gay movie: if you can't imagine it ever being made with straight characters. This would be a non-movie if the characters were heterosexual. Unimaginably trite.

by Anonymousreply 240November 6, 2017 2:33 PM

R238 It was in that post-coital scene when they’re naked in the barn where Johnny tells Gheorghe that his mother left him (to become a hairdresser iirc). Then Gheorghe licks the wound on his hand.

by Anonymousreply 241November 6, 2017 2:37 PM

R240 ??? Have you seen the film? Obviously a film that is about male vulnerability and the pressures of masculinity (as well as family + class-issues and xenophobia) that’s explicitly about two male gay characters won’t be interchangeable with a straight or lesbian couple. It’s a story about gay men, let it be about gay men. How is that the ‘mark of a bad gay movie’? I’m genuinely curious because I for one don’t want a film that’s gay to be the same type of film if it were straight. God’s Own Country is really good across the board and there isn’t any homophobia, the gays don’t hate themselves and no one dies so bonus points there.

by Anonymousreply 242November 6, 2017 3:06 PM

I saw it here in NYC on 10/25 followed by a Q&A. There is a sub-plot when the father has a second stroke that really hit home for me. My partner had 2 strokes and I found this element portrayed honestly. It's a beautiful moving film. PS-The lead actors lovely in real life

by Anonymousreply 243November 6, 2017 4:23 PM

R240, I’ve literally never watched a straight movie and thought that the straight couple in it could easily have been exchanged with a gay one and it resulting in the same movie. Why would you expect that from gay movies? Even CMBYN would’ve been a ”non-movie” if it revolved around a straight couple. Can you mention a gay movie where the gays are basically written as straights so their gayness could easily be removed and it not change the movie ?

by Anonymousreply 244November 6, 2017 4:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245November 6, 2017 7:39 PM

Liked it better than Call Me By Your Name. This was a relationship movie. That was more of a fling

by Anonymousreply 246November 7, 2017 1:11 AM

What's the story? I assume it's not just about two sheep farmers who meet and fall in love?

by Anonymousreply 247November 8, 2017 9:15 AM

R247 Angry farm boy meets dreamy Romanian farm boy and there’s lots of sex, noodles, tiny lambs and affection. It’s a simple story that’s very sweet and brutal at the same time. Ian Hart plays the dad and is great. Definitely superior to CMBYN as R246 said, but isn’t a Sony production so doesn’t get the same hype.

by Anonymousreply 248November 8, 2017 2:18 PM

[quote]Definitely superior to CMBYN as [R246] said, but isn’t a Sony production so doesn’t get the same hype.

Does it have a more-than-decent novel as its original source material?

by Anonymousreply 249November 8, 2017 2:20 PM

Can someone tell me clearly why this movie isn't favoured for the Oscars instead of CMBYN? Is it the distributor's decision or other formalities? I assume that because it's a British movie, it automatically falls into the Foreign Movie category? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 250November 8, 2017 2:23 PM

R240

What a strange thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 251November 8, 2017 2:35 PM

I get r240's point and think it is fair. A lot of gay films do just think "it's special because it's gay", when there isn't anything about the movie itself that makes it special.

by Anonymousreply 252November 8, 2017 2:39 PM

And then you get whiners whining about movies that feature gay experiences, like coming out or AIDS, R252. No matter what kind of movie you make, someone's going to bitch about it being "too _________" or "not ________ enough."

by Anonymousreply 253November 8, 2017 2:51 PM

Isn't simply having a movie like this with gay men in it refreshing enough after having watched the same shit with straight people all our lives? It is for me, at least. But I don't have the experience of living in an accepting society so I get why someone in L.A. might be bored to tears by it.

And yes, there's a larger debate to be had around whether homosexuality itself adds another layer or is even integral to the story and its characters, or if it really is totally inconsequential and amounts to JK Rowling scribbling "He's gay" at the margins after the fact. I'm in the former camp but again, I've no experience of mainstreaming.

Whatever the case, it's definitely not for straight people to resolve this debate by saying "Oh, it shouldn't even matter whether someone's gay; you shouldn't base your identity on your sexual orientation anyway." Because that line of reasoning is [italic]everywhere[/italic] and it's the fucking worst.

by Anonymousreply 254November 8, 2017 2:57 PM

I’ve overheard straight people coming out of the theater say that it is the Brokeback Mountain for Millennials. I’m not so sure of that.

by Anonymousreply 255November 8, 2017 3:13 PM

For superficial straights it is, R255 - it is a gay love story n a rural setting. In every meaningful way, it's quite different (it's a contemporary piece, no-one is closeted, no-one dies etc).

by Anonymousreply 256November 8, 2017 3:21 PM

[quote]no one dies

What kind of gay movie is that?

by Anonymousreply 257November 8, 2017 3:23 PM

GOC is the opposite of Brokeback (and the majority of gay themed films) in the sense that in it, being gay is not the source of the dramatic conflict - the particular social, economical, regional as well as international and familial circumstances the protagonist is stuck in are. Being gay is actually the solution to this conflict.

by Anonymousreply 258November 8, 2017 3:39 PM

[quote]Being gay is actually the solution to this conflict.

That's interesting. How is specifically being gay the solution to the dramatic conflict?

by Anonymousreply 259November 8, 2017 3:59 PM

Excellent analysis r258. And r256.

by Anonymousreply 260November 8, 2017 4:28 PM

Considering the film takes place in 2016, Johnny being gay is what will save the family farm - were he a straight man he’d never find a woman willing to live there with him (along with dad and grandmother), meaning he’d probably have to leave so he could build his life elsewhere resulting in the farm going out of business. Gheorghe is an unexpected blessing but it’s still pretty realistic that a farmer from a different part of Europe who is used to that life and loves nature/animals/etc would be willing to settle down there and put in the work to make the farm flourish.

by Anonymousreply 261November 8, 2017 4:58 PM

r261 But there are plenty of straight women who would settle down with a good looking young man who runs a farm.

by Anonymousreply 262November 8, 2017 5:39 PM

R262 Have you seen the film? The family isn’t rich and the farm is run-down and desolate. It’s a very dreary and unfriendly environment - unappealing to most people. The film depicts the farm and farm life as anything other than bucolic or romantic. A female equivalent of Gheorghe for a straight Johnny existing somewhere in that fictional universe is very hard to imagine.

by Anonymousreply 263November 8, 2017 6:47 PM

Exactly, R261 & R263. And it is stated subtly yet clearly in the film. There are three women of three different generations we know of within the realm of this film. They were all born in this part of the world, but each reacted differently to the hardship of living there. The grandmother fully accepted it, no matter what. The absent mother married into it but chose to abandoned it. Johny's contemporary, his classmate who was born there, went to university and is having a lifestyle and is not looking back it seems. As I said earlier on this thread, an English girl's idea of hell is a Romanian farm boy's dream.

by Anonymousreply 264November 8, 2017 7:39 PM

^ should have been "having a modern lifestyle"

by Anonymousreply 265November 8, 2017 7:43 PM

[quote]A female equivalent of Gheorghe for a straight Johnny existing somewhere in that fictional universe is very hard to imagine.

The key point there is that it's a fictional universe. If we're talking about the real world, then it's as hard to imagine a gay man wanting to settle down in such a bleak and desolate environment as it is a woman. However, I'm sure that in the real world there are many gay men who would and many straight women who would. In the fictional universe of the film they've invented a gay character who is willing to settle down in such an environment, but there's nothing about the dramatic conflict of that story that can be resolved specifically by those characters' homosexuality. It's incidental in that respect and would play out much the same had they written them as heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 266November 8, 2017 8:01 PM

[quote]As I said earlier on this thread, an English girl's idea of hell is a Romanian farm boy's dream.

The English countryside is full of farms owned and run by women or men and their wives. I get that it's a beautiful thing to see this story of two men running a farm together, but this idea that it's an environment so bleak that women are deserting in their droves and the only answer is for gay men to step into the breach is going a little far x

by Anonymousreply 267November 8, 2017 8:06 PM

R267 No one is arguing against that. We’re talking about the film (which is fiction) and in it Johnny (who is fictional) is the only child and only hope for the farm surviving. Johnny’s mother has left, Johnny’s female school friend has left, the grandmother is staying because where else would she go. Even though the film isn’t about women or women’s lives in that rural area, their absence speaks volumes. It's not about the romantic idea of two men running a farm, but how Johnny being gay is a fundamental factor for him 1. not leaving and 2. the farm having a chance to survive. It’s the only element of the film where homosexuality plays a big part - there isn’t any homophobia (internalized or from the locals or family). It’s layered throughout the story making it an interesting and refreshing watch

by Anonymousreply 268November 8, 2017 8:34 PM

The Levelling is another British indie set on a bleak farm and revolves around a young woman reluctantly returning to her family farm (because of her brother's suicide). It’s very good! A lot darker than God's Own Country but has the same voyeuristic feel and deals with some similar themes (masculinity, responsibility, struggling farmers, forgiveness)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269November 8, 2017 8:49 PM

It's opening in more cities today inc Washington DC. Seems to be doing well in American cinemas.

by Anonymousreply 270November 10, 2017 4:51 PM

R269, I doubt many people are going to the movie because of that setting...

by Anonymousreply 271November 11, 2017 3:15 PM

they don't really fuck though do they? just exchange bj's?

by Anonymousreply 272November 15, 2017 1:50 AM

Reports are that a lot of women (many straight) are coming to see it. A matinee audience I attended was half women.

Alec Secareanu is HAF, but Josh O'Connor has the bigger todger.

by Anonymousreply 273November 15, 2017 3:58 AM

I wish to hell it was playing at more locations in the New York metro area, instead of just at the specialized IFC center down in the village

by Anonymousreply 274November 15, 2017 5:49 AM

R165 "the animal stuff was brutal."

Does that,mean what I think it does? Dealbreaker for me.

by Anonymousreply 275November 15, 2017 8:59 AM

Say what you think it means, R275, and perhaps someone can tell you/

by Anonymousreply 276November 15, 2017 5:13 PM

R275 Lmao there's no beastiality, why would your mind even go there? There's just a lot of animal birth with all the fluids and a dead lamb is skinned at one point which is very graphic

by Anonymousreply 277November 15, 2017 7:21 PM

[quote]You wonder why Lee is so fixated on their exposed genitalia. Is he out to correct the comparatively mild, punch-pulling sex in “Brokeback Mountain”? If so, it works to an extent, but after a while “God’s Own Country” begins to border on gay porn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278November 16, 2017 10:12 PM

gay porn? did they even fuck? some soft but handsome peen

by Anonymousreply 279November 17, 2017 3:30 AM

granny found a used condom

by Anonymousreply 280November 17, 2017 4:11 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281November 17, 2017 12:05 PM

I finally saw it yesterday, it was very good. Plenty of nudity and sex.

by Anonymousreply 282November 20, 2017 8:26 AM

A friend saw it. He said it was not "taut."

by Anonymousreply 283November 20, 2017 11:49 AM

[quote]they don't really fuck though do they? just exchange bj's?

R272 Yes, unfortunately. That is probably my biggest pet peeve about this movie. It's a minor one, but it still bugged me. I totally get that they wanted a juxtaposition of the rough, mecahnical sex Johnny had with random guys, the blow job defeinitely was more romantic/sensual, but anal sex can be that too. In a way they labelled anal sex as "wrong". I would have loved to see a more sensual anal sex scene between the two men, just as a way to show John has changed, sex is about more than just getting off. Sex can be beautiful, romantic, sensual.. you name it. They implied that they had anal sex with that one used condom, but that made no sense to me.. because John didn't use a condom with those other men, so he probably wouldn't have with Gheorghe either. I feel like it was just a cheap plot point for the grandmoter to find out about them having sex without them having to actually show them having sex (except the one bj scene).

by Anonymousreply 284November 20, 2017 1:13 PM

R272 Gay porn?! WTF?! The sex scenes were important, the movie wouldn't have been the same without. If anything, I think he chickened out with John and Georghe, like I said, the fact that we only saw John have meaningless anal sex with random guys annoyed me. We should have seen him have anal sex with Georghe too.

by Anonymousreply 285November 20, 2017 1:18 PM

R279 No, they didn't. We never saw them fucking, which was a major let down to me. The used condom was just a cheap plot point.

by Anonymousreply 286November 20, 2017 1:20 PM

R278 That idiot critic wouldn't have said that if they were two women. The fact that he thinks these mild sex scenes are "porn" is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 287November 20, 2017 1:25 PM

R189. I’m in my mid 20s and despise the word queer. Piss off.

by Anonymousreply 288November 20, 2017 1:28 PM

The reality is so many people still can't handle watching two guys be intimate together, it automatically is more "explicit" whenever it is two dudes. And seeing a penis is "OMG!!!" to so many people.

Why do you Call Me By Your Name avoids penises and buttfucking, makes it more approachable.

by Anonymousreply 289November 20, 2017 7:49 PM

R289 To be fair GOC also avoided buttfucking.. at least to some degree. Buttfucking was ok as long as the audience was uncomfortable with it, as long as it was John fucking random guys, it was supposed to be gross. John wasn't allowed to have a sensual love making scene with his boyfriend.. only a bj was allowed. Absolutely pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 290November 20, 2017 8:24 PM

Looking at buttfucking is boring to me. Give me some dong that is six inches long.

by Anonymousreply 291November 20, 2017 8:28 PM

R290 I didn’t see it like that at all, Johnny fucking random guys was meant to depict the lack of love in his love life - there’s no passion and he’s essentially forcing himself to an orgasm. I don’t think it was supposed to signal that anal sex = bad and revolting. Gheorghe doesn’t let him have that aggressive approach to sex when they start being intimate. The first sex/blowjob scene is very rough but it shows how Johnny submits to Gheorghe’s will and the second sex scene when Johnny learns to kiss and take it slow is one of the best scenes in the movie. And the part where Gheorghe is licking Johnny’s palm when they’re completely naked is incredibly intimate, as is them lying naked in bed when Johnny wants to learn words in Romanian. I don’t understand why you’re wanting so much from this movie lol, it’s just a gay romance and it’s refreshing how it doesn’t shy away from anything.

by Anonymousreply 292November 20, 2017 8:56 PM

ffs, it shied away from presenting buttsex as a form of intimate lovemaking

by Anonymousreply 293November 20, 2017 9:03 PM

Is it common for sheep farmers not to have a sheep dog? My friend kept going on about how unrealistic it was that the family didn’t have a dog.

by Anonymousreply 294November 20, 2017 9:05 PM

R293 Exactly! Thank you for agreeing with me. It's like they were saying you can't have anal sex and be intimate at the same time. Of course it's not true, but it still pissed me off because that's exactly how it seemed like. Anal sex can be intimate and romantic. There is a difference between casual sex and love making, they depicted the difference by showing different sex acts when imo they would have had the same effect by showing how the same sex act can be very different under different circumstances. I would have preffered to see John and Gheorghe make love, it would have been a nice juxtaposition to the rough sex he was having when he hooked up with random guys. We never got to see it. That's why this movie will always just be good to me, it lacked something to be truly great. The used condom was a cheap plot point used so they wouldn't have to depict them having sex. It's ridiculous that all of a sudden John is using condoms when he never did before. To me it's not just a cheap plot point, it's also an retcon.

by Anonymousreply 295November 20, 2017 9:14 PM

the thesis of the film seemed to be how the romanian taught the yorkie, to "feel" and to "love", but couldn't show the natural result of his success in doing so, other than the condom,....bull shit.

by Anonymousreply 296November 20, 2017 9:20 PM

My issue with the movie was that I didn't see why Gheorghe would be attracted to Johnnie (other than, I suppose, in a random hookup sense).

by Anonymousreply 297November 21, 2017 12:05 AM

Gheorghe is a nurturer and carer by nature. Johnny is another orphaned, lost lamb.

by Anonymousreply 298November 21, 2017 6:28 AM

R296 Exactly!

by Anonymousreply 299November 21, 2017 8:08 AM

R297

[quote]“I had to dig really deep with Gheorghe,” says Lee, “because it was about finding, ‘Why is Gheorghe attracted to Johnny? What is it within Gheorghe? What does he need to be fulfilled by or what does he need to learn or investigate? The idea became that Gheorghe’s thing is he gets off on being caring, that’s what turns him on. He’s very maternal.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300November 21, 2017 11:53 AM

Interesting re: nurturer, etc. I had of course perceived that Johnnie was looking for a nurturer, but I didn't get that Gheorghe was looking for someone to nurture, Based on a lifetime of experience, I can say that this is not a good choice for Gheorghe, and puts the "love story" in a very different light.

by Anonymousreply 301November 21, 2017 3:37 PM

R301 why do you insist on typing ‘Johnnie’ when you see that his name is Johnny?

by Anonymousreply 302November 21, 2017 3:46 PM

R302 - thought his name was Johnnie. How do any of us know how the name was spelled?

To the extent you're hinting that I'm feminizing the name Johnny, Johnnie Walker would disagree.

by Anonymousreply 303November 21, 2017 3:52 PM

Johnny’s mother left him and he gets next to no love from his dad and grandmother - Gheorghe with his gentle soul and nurturing ways is just the kind of person he needs in his life. Halfway through the film he starts taking after some of Gheorghe’s personality traits resulting in a better relationship with his family. Gheorghe doesn’t really have any flaws as a character so he becomes a bit of a manic pixie dream boy.

by Anonymousreply 304November 21, 2017 3:57 PM

r293 have you ever even been bent?

by Anonymousreply 305November 22, 2017 6:03 AM

[bold]'God’s Own Country’ Wins Big at British Independent Film Awards[/bold]

"God’s Own Country” was the big winner at the British Indepdendent Film Awards on Sunday, winning best British independent film, best actor for Josh O’Connor, and best debut screenwiter for Francis Lee, who also directed the England-set gay romance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306December 11, 2017 4:34 AM

I know this will never come to my city...when is it on demand?

by Anonymousreply 307December 11, 2017 4:57 AM

R307 in January.

by Anonymousreply 308December 11, 2017 11:58 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309December 22, 2017 1:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310December 22, 2017 1:41 PM

The U.S. DVD release date is January 30:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311January 3, 2018 2:33 PM

Seriously, they just dump it on DVD without a Blu-ray before the Oscars while the UK Blu-ray is region locked?

Why are they trying to make it as hard to see this movie as possible?

by Anonymousreply 312January 3, 2018 2:50 PM

Josh O'Connor should be getting the award recognition, not Chalamet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313January 3, 2018 2:59 PM

r313 So fit..you'd swallow

by Anonymousreply 314January 3, 2018 3:02 PM

Josh O'Connor is better-looking, too.

by Anonymousreply 315January 3, 2018 3:11 PM

This is the movie that should be getting multimillion dollar ad campaigns, giant billboards, and shoved in your face at every opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 316January 3, 2018 3:12 PM

It did pretty well in Britain, but it barely had a US distribution, played 13 whole theaters at its widest.

It was made to be a niche British indie. They never envisioned it being some global hit. First time director, no name actors, heavy accents.

by Anonymousreply 317January 3, 2018 3:20 PM

No heavier than the kids from [italic]Bedknobs and Broomsticks[/italic] or any number of Monty Python sketches.

by Anonymousreply 318January 3, 2018 3:22 PM

Loved this scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319January 3, 2018 4:28 PM

I'm surprised it only got one BAFTA nom (Outstanding British Film)

by Anonymousreply 320January 9, 2018 2:34 PM

Then BAFTA is just as homophobic as the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 321January 9, 2018 2:37 PM

R321 CMBYN got BAFTA nominations for best film, best adapted screenplay, best director, best actor (Timothée Chalamet) and the Rising Star award. Most of the films nominated this year aren't even British- what gives?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322January 9, 2018 3:02 PM

[quote]Most of the films nominated this year aren't even British- what gives?

BATFAS purpose isn't to nominate british films, that is why they have a separate best British film category.

by Anonymousreply 323January 9, 2018 3:03 PM

R322: You proved my point.

by Anonymousreply 324January 9, 2018 3:05 PM

I now officially hate CMBYN and never want to hear it discussed on DL again.

by Anonymousreply 325January 9, 2018 3:06 PM

Yeah, r325.

You should totally block everyone who likes it too.

by Anonymousreply 326January 9, 2018 3:08 PM

God’s Own Country is the superior film out of the two, CMBYN isn't even gay - if anything it's a straight film with bisexual elements. Also it's about a seventeen year-old boy and a man seven years his senior; God’s Own Country is about two adults

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327January 9, 2018 3:19 PM

Is there a God's Own Country novel (or other OSM)?

by Anonymousreply 328January 9, 2018 3:28 PM

R328 No, it's an original screenplay written by the director Francis Lee

by Anonymousreply 329January 9, 2018 3:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330January 9, 2018 9:32 PM

Thankfully, I will be able to see both.

by Anonymousreply 331January 9, 2018 9:35 PM

So where can I stream/torrent this?

by Anonymousreply 332January 11, 2018 9:11 PM

You can't r332 (which you must have realized or you wouldn't have asked).

The movie will be coming out in a couple weeks and it will leak on the net then (though really you should pay for it, it is a low-budget gay movie which could use the support)

by Anonymousreply 333January 11, 2018 9:14 PM

Did this film not forward screeners? not even for UK award groups?

by Anonymousreply 334January 11, 2018 9:21 PM

R334 I specifically remember Lorenzo of Tom&Lorenzo mentioning on Twitter that he had watched the screener (provided by GALECA) three times because he loved the movie so much. So they definitely distributed screeners in the US.

by Anonymousreply 335January 11, 2018 9:26 PM

I guess the film didn't garner enough love among viewers that even torrent makers were like "Mehh."

by Anonymousreply 336January 11, 2018 9:33 PM

Screeners of niche indie movies usually don't leak, especially if they're not up for any of the big nominations. Says nothing about the quality of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 337January 11, 2018 9:38 PM

333, I missed the NYC screenings. I find it odd that there isn't at least one torrent to be found too, 336

by Anonymousreply 338January 11, 2018 9:38 PM

What r337 said. It's really not unusual that such a small film would not have the screener pirated online.

by Anonymousreply 339January 11, 2018 9:40 PM

For those of the non-pirating persuasion, the DVD comes out on the 30th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340January 12, 2018 12:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341January 15, 2018 1:54 PM

Is it on iTunes?

by Anonymousreply 342January 15, 2018 1:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343January 16, 2018 9:08 PM

It finally leaked

by Anonymousreply 344January 17, 2018 3:56 AM

Josh O'Connor has a nice cock.

[quote]It finally leaked

Did it? A quick search doesn't show it on the usual torrent or streaming sites.

by Anonymousreply 345January 17, 2018 2:27 PM

Who the fuck FF'd this thread? Must be the stupid CMBYN fanboys. I suppose they can't handle the competition. Too bad, because GOC is the far superior movie, which Rotten Tomatoes can attest.. 99 > 96 %.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346January 17, 2018 3:18 PM

Why does this have to be a zero-sum game, R346. We can—each and every one of us—see BOTH movies.

by Anonymousreply 347January 17, 2018 3:20 PM

The leaked version is a proper digital copy (not a screener) but has Chinese subtitles. Why the fuck does an indie movie bother with that market in the first place? Perhaps it was meant for Taiwan? That's still weird to me for some reason.

R347 Yes, this pitting one against the other only results in FF'd threads, fans of either not bothering to see the other movie, and just division in general. I guess that's just what naturally happens when you're spoilt for choice after pretty much having been starved of quality lgbt movies for so long.

by Anonymousreply 348January 17, 2018 3:29 PM

Woho! I just went to the usual gay torrent sites and found it. Hehe . It's Ok, I had pre-ordered two copies of the film in Amazon a few weeks ago.I just hope the DVD has extras and commentary.

by Anonymousreply 349January 17, 2018 3:38 PM

Christ, the accent of it all! I think it'll become a gay favourite in the US once it comes out on DVD and streaming and everyone can finally turn the subtitles on.

by Anonymousreply 350January 17, 2018 3:51 PM

There’s a 4,2 gb 1080p version without subs available to torrent as well, r348

by Anonymousreply 351January 17, 2018 3:51 PM

Oh god, the sex scenes are more realistic than I anticipated. Wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352January 17, 2018 3:53 PM

[quote]fans of either not bothering to see the other movie, and just division in general. I guess that's just what naturally happens when you're spoilt for choice after pretty much having been starved of quality lgbt movies for so long.

Two movies is "spoilt for choice"? Only in very, very small minds.

by Anonymousreply 353January 17, 2018 3:53 PM

R353 Take your own small mind somewhere and get fucked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354January 17, 2018 3:56 PM

I forgot about "Beach Rats" and "BPM." The rest, thanks, but no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 355January 17, 2018 3:59 PM

[quote]Why does this have to be a zero-sum game, [R346].

Because CMYBN genuinely creeps me out and makes me sick to my stomach in ways GOC, [italic]In a Heartbeat[/italic] and [italic]Love, Simon[/italic] do not.

by Anonymousreply 356January 17, 2018 4:03 PM

[quote]I forgot about "Beach Rats"

That movie is the [italic]Who's the Boss?[/italic] to Moonlight's [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic]

by Anonymousreply 357January 17, 2018 4:04 PM

R354, your link lists 10 films but only of 8 of those films are gay films and only 4 of them are about gay males.

Let's also not forget "The Wound" (the gay film shortlisted in the Best Foreign category) so in total we got 5 good gay films last year <3 I say that's pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 358January 17, 2018 4:06 PM

Are you the pedo troll, R356?

by Anonymousreply 359January 17, 2018 4:06 PM

No, R359, they're in the CMBYN threads.

by Anonymousreply 360January 17, 2018 4:09 PM

R358 I said we were spoilt for choice when it comes to lgbt movies last year and posted that link in response to someone saying we only got two of them last year. If you're too immature to celebrate non-gay lgbt movies and only count movies with gay men as gay movies, then that's your problem.

Anway, this thread is about GOC, not lgbt movies of 2017.

by Anonymousreply 361January 17, 2018 4:14 PM

Graying out this thread was both an act of war and a hate crime.

by Anonymousreply 362January 17, 2018 4:16 PM

Another great film this year - only out on the festival circuit - "Against the Law"

by Anonymousreply 363January 17, 2018 4:28 PM

It's hard enough to get gay movies funded and made and it's even harder to get them seen. The Disney-Fox merger is going to make it harder because mainstream movies are going to get louder, dumber, and held hostage to bros and basics more than ever before, and they will deprive space from movies like this and even studio-indies like [italic]Love, Simon[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 364January 17, 2018 4:30 PM

[quote]If you're too immature to celebrate non-gay lgbt movies and only count movies with gay men as gay movies, then that's your problem.

It's not a problem. And if anything, I'm probably [bold]too[/bold] mature, i.e., old, to "celebrate non-gay lgbt movies." The others are merely irrelevant to me. Again, not a problem.

[quote]Anway, this thread is about GOC, not lgbt movies of 2017.

You're the one who posted the list, dingleberry. Not I.

by Anonymousreply 365January 17, 2018 4:33 PM

[quote] If you're not homophobic like me to celebrate non-gay lgbt movies

I fixed for you R361.

R353 is indeed right, you are too small minded. In what universe would you think you were answering his post when you [bold]know[/bold] we are talking about gay films. In retrospect you post is quite homophobic and that is very telling.

You need to be less homophobic and realize that Gay and other groups are not interchangeable.

by Anonymousreply 366January 17, 2018 4:35 PM

GOC is a gay film between two consenting adult men.

CMBYN is yet another movie about bisexual men trying to having their cake and eat it, too. In that sense, it is the more Brokeback-like of the two and that movie was supremely overrated to begin with (Crash was still worse). Is every new gay movie set on a farm or a ranch going to be dismissed sight unseen on those grounds because of that?

by Anonymousreply 367January 17, 2018 4:46 PM

It comes down to one thing for filmakers in general: For who / which audience do you make this movie?

Mainstream is all fine and dandy and has a higher chance of commercial success, but is filmaking about commercial success or telling stories not everybody is interested in?

As a member of the audience you can support movies you like by either, buying tickets in the movie theatre (at festivals or official theatre release), buying a physical copy of it (DVD or Blu Ray), or post on comment sections and message boards how much you like this particular movie (and why you like it) and wish to see more of that. I believe it's time for more praise and more "I wanna see more of that!" instead of negativity and hate and "I hate this and nobody should even consider watching that, because it's offensive to me and surely others and it's all wrong!".

by Anonymousreply 368January 17, 2018 4:56 PM

Gay is the mainstream. Without us, you get nowhere.

I'm tired of movies that send the message that men are only substitutes for when women are not available. That's homophobic. Gay male love is a beautiful thing and it deserves to be put on a pedestal because we earned it.

by Anonymousreply 369January 17, 2018 5:26 PM

[quote] I believe it's time for more praise and more "I wanna see more of that!" instead of negativity and hate and "I hate this and nobody should even consider watching that, because it's offensive to me and surely others and it's all wrong!".

It is possible to both give credit where credit is due and criticism when criticism is due. You don't do gay filmmakers favors by making excuses for shoddy and/or problematic work.

by Anonymousreply 370January 17, 2018 5:28 PM

GOC: Gay. Unapologetic. Direct. Affirmative. Genitalia.

CMBYN: Fake-gay. Apologetic. Pseudo-"poetic". Downbeat. No genitalia.

by Anonymousreply 371January 17, 2018 6:44 PM

[quote]Is every new gay movie set on a farm or a ranch going to be dismissed sight unseen on those grounds because of that?

I'm not dismissing it. GOC will be delivered to me as soon as it becomes available.

by Anonymousreply 372January 17, 2018 6:47 PM

r344, where can i see it?

by Anonymousreply 373January 17, 2018 7:28 PM

When will it be available on Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 374January 17, 2018 7:29 PM

I'm still disappointed only the UK is getting a Blu-ray and that it's region-locked. I'll have to buy it and rip it so I can watch it in the US.

by Anonymousreply 375January 17, 2018 7:38 PM

So I just watched GOC and I need to sleep on it because it's a lot to process. But let me just ask you bitches something... [spoilers]

>

>

>

Who was the asshole that kept telling us the two leads didn't end up together? I remember asking this a few times and some idiot kept saying the two guys parted ways at the end, which is not true at all. Imagine my surprise when they actually end up together in the farm all to themselves. <3 <3

The best way I can describe this film is as a [italic]crude masterpiece[/italic]. It is true that the BBM comparisons are valid, actually this is BBM set up in modern times. The treatment of the animals is questionable though. The first 1/3rd of the film is quite crude. I am willing to concede that this was the better gay film, but certain scenes where definitely not justified, realistic yes, but it left me thinking of the welfare of those sheep and cows.

There is nudity, two sex scenes one of them rather explicit between Johnny and Gheorghe (their first time).

by Anonymousreply 376January 18, 2018 8:03 AM

Call me Mary! But I am so exited waiting for my Blu Ray import from the UK! I lived for a time in Europe / England and got myself a Blu Ray player (Blu Ray computer drive) from there to keep playing my European / British Blu Rays. And my Blu Ray Drive is connected to my TV set.

I've got to admit I have not been this exited about a DVD / Blu Ray release in ages!

by Anonymousreply 377January 18, 2018 11:09 PM

Can anyone link me to the leak?

by Anonymousreply 378January 19, 2018 2:32 AM

Now the sicko CMBYN trolls grayed this thread out. WW it so it gets ungrayed.

by Anonymousreply 379January 19, 2018 2:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380January 22, 2018 4:20 PM

Nice movie w/a sweet love story. I have a few questions because the accents were tough on my dumb American ears. How was that woman related to John - she seemed a bit old to be his mother, was she his grandmother, aunt, stepmother? Why was she so bitter and hateful - she never stopped sucking on that lemon. In the pub, some old guy started flicking beer on Georges - what was that about? Thanks.

(I put this comment in the other GOC thread too - not sure which on is getting views)

by Anonymousreply 381January 23, 2018 2:17 AM

^ She's his grandmother, and the mother of a very ailing son, so her being extremely anxious and worried about his well being and future and if there will be someone to take care of him after she's gone is understandable.

The guy in the pub was blurring some racist remarks toward Georges.

by Anonymousreply 382January 23, 2018 4:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383January 23, 2018 5:17 PM

It's basically a gay version of Beauty and the Beast. Gheorghe is Belle taming Johnny, the Beast. There is a scene where Gheorghe licks Johnny's open wounded hand which is so fucking intense I am like "WTF?". Creepy and yet hot.

by Anonymousreply 384January 23, 2018 5:31 PM

The Blue ray DVD doesn't come out until Feb. in the states.

I was surprised this film stayed with me for as long as it has. It really is a gem, and it's so sad it never received the success it deserved. I would go as far as to say this film is better than Beats Per Minute, The Wound, and Call Me By Your Name. The GOC troll has really turned this movie into a joke in DL, but it really is a great film. If it were a straight film, we would be talking more about it as an award contender.

[quote]Can anyone link me to the leak?

It's on the usual gay torrent sites. Obviously we don't post the links or those sites or they will be taken down. : ( Call Me by Your Name was on Xtube for a few days. I wonder if GOC will be there as well.

by Anonymousreply 385January 23, 2018 5:58 PM

To think, if the film had been about two female farmers, they could have called it God's Own Cuntry.

In all seriousness, maybe this film did not get the recognition it deserved because of the Brokeback Mountain similarities. If it had been about lesbian farmers, I think it would have broke through to the mainstream and be up for some academy awards.

by Anonymousreply 386January 24, 2018 10:55 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387January 25, 2018 4:18 PM

Just watched the film...loved it...and just have to say the Romanian actor, Alec Secareanu, was hot as fuuuuuuuuuk. Honestly one of the most beautiful men I've seen on film in a long time.

Hell, if someone as handsome, sensitive and gentle as Gheorghe came into my life and licked my hand like that, I would hold onto him for dear life and never let me go.

by Anonymousreply 388January 26, 2018 7:49 AM

Saw it tonight -- wow, what a good story and good movie.

SPOILER >> I got a little teary-eyed near the end, at the potato processing place.

by Anonymousreply 389January 27, 2018 6:48 AM

Really enjoyable, stark and beautiful and realistic.

by Anonymousreply 390January 27, 2018 2:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391January 27, 2018 4:11 PM

That looks enjoyable, R391.

by Anonymousreply 392January 27, 2018 4:17 PM

I will examine its tautness, and its dongliciousness, when it arrives on Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 393January 27, 2018 4:22 PM

And don't forget its hopeful heart...

by Anonymousreply 394January 27, 2018 10:08 PM

[quote]In all seriousness, maybe this film did not get the recognition it deserved because of the Brokeback Mountain similarities.

Is every gay film set on a farm or ranch going to be compared to that movie? That's why it pisses me off that it's not getting a wider US theatrical release. Even art house theaters are giving more space to the (overrated, creepy, and problematic) CMBYN.

GOC is better than either of them.

by Anonymousreply 395January 27, 2018 10:15 PM

[quote]The GOC troll has really turned this movie into a joke in DL, but it really is a great film.

Consider the fact that this thread is grayed out. Then consider how the CMBYN queens never shut up about it and invade every other thread. Even sight unseen, someone compared [italic]Love, Simon[/italic] unfavorably to it even though it hasn't come out that. The reason I am so defensive about this film is because this is the movie that needs the exposure, lives up to the hype, and actually deserves the awards. To deprive the film of any of those is an act of bigotry and artistic philistinism, plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 396January 27, 2018 10:18 PM

[quote]The reason I am so defensive about this film is because this is the movie that needs the exposure, lives up to the hype, and actually deserves the awards. To deprive the film of any of those is an act of bigotry and artistic philistinism, plain and simple.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 397January 28, 2018 3:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398January 28, 2018 7:48 AM

For those who want to support it rather than pirating it, the movie is out on Amazon/itunes and whichever other platforms today.

by Anonymousreply 399January 30, 2018 1:52 PM

This news makes me happy.

[quote]God’s Own Country on DVD has SOLD OUT on Amazon UK in less than 24 hours! Thank YOU. Don't worry though they are getting more. Also available Fopp, HMV, Tesco, Sainsburys. The Blu-ray is still available too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400January 30, 2018 7:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401January 31, 2018 12:21 AM

Deleted/extended scenes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402January 31, 2018 1:03 AM

Interesting interview with the director

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403January 31, 2018 6:25 AM

$5.99 on Amazon to rent

by Anonymousreply 404January 31, 2018 3:13 PM

What is beautiful about this film is it isn't really about coming out of the closet, or overcoming homophobia, or even just a love-story. At the end of the day it is primarily about this guy who is struggling to grow up and be an adult with the life that is thrust upon him.

I also thought it seemed a very realistic look at what like is like in this rural setting and small farm. Not that I would know if it is realistic, but it feel real.

by Anonymousreply 405February 1, 2018 6:21 PM

Some info on Francis Lee's next project is out.

[quote]God’s Own Country director Francis Lee is teaming with UK-Australia production powerhouse See-Saw Films on his next project.

[quote]See-Saw joint managing directors Iain Canning (The King’s Speech, Shame) and Emile Sherman are producing the feature, which is also being developed with the BFI.

[quote]Details about the still nascent project are being largely kept under wraps for now, but Lee confirmed to Screen that he is about one month away from delivering a first draft of the script.

[quote]The feature will be a period piece, set in the UK in the 1820s, and will be based on a real-life figure. It will tackle subjects such as class, patriarchy and landscape. Lee told Screen that the project will be a significant increase in scale from God’s Own Country and that he is “excited about working on a bigger canvas”.

So was there a famous homosexual who lived in the 1820s or will this be another boring straight period piece?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406February 1, 2018 6:21 PM

[quote]Lee spent three months working intensively with his two leads sketching every detail of their characters. What level of detail are we talking about? “Everything. Where they bought their socks. Which socks they preferred and why. Whether they took sugar in their tea. I won’t tell you the rude stuff.” He sent O’Connor and Secareanu out to work on farms, putting in 12-hour shifts for two weeks, learning to birth lambs, muck out and drive a tractor. “I don’t like fakery. I wanted everything to be real.”

Props to these guys for being willing to go through this.

by Anonymousreply 407February 1, 2018 6:24 PM

R407 Yeah, that stuff about the choice of socks sounds particularly eye-roll-worthy. But whatever, the end result is a quality film and acclaim so I'm sure they don't mind having gone through that process now.

by Anonymousreply 408February 1, 2018 6:29 PM

>> I won’t tell you the rude stuff.

Hell, man, that's what I want to hear...

by Anonymousreply 409February 1, 2018 6:33 PM

I'm kinda glad he didn't divulge the rude stuff because it could come off as a bit icky. I know they're creatives but it's still a workplace environment and the director asking his actors how their characters like to get fucked and whether they swallow or not could be misconstrued as workplace harassment. The last thing this movie needs is a #MeToo opinion piece on Slate.

That doesn't mean I'm not intrigued as well.

by Anonymousreply 410February 1, 2018 6:42 PM

The real message of the film is that Brexit will condemn Brits to lonely, unfulfilled existences. Importing hot as fuck Romanians who could loosen them up and make them feel human emotions is now an impossibility.

by Anonymousreply 411February 1, 2018 6:42 PM

Yeah, this love story was brought to us by the EU's freedom of movement. I like to think they got married so Gheorghe is shielded from having to return to Romania. Which experienced an 8.8% GDP growth in 2017, by the way. So who knows, perhaps they'll both be moving there in the next couple of years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412February 1, 2018 6:53 PM

From the article at R412:

[quote]The tech sector, in particular, is expanding fast, built on a communist-era legacy of excellence in science, mathematics and technical education, as well as Romania’s strong language skills, which have long made it a hub for IT outsourcing. While the Romanian language’s Latin roots have helped explain the country’s linguistic skills, some suggest it was a decision to subtitle rather than dub foreign programming on television that boosted foreign language exposure and proficiency.

I've been saying this all along; dubbing results in a deplorable and dumb citizenry, completely closed off to other perspectives that exist in the world.

by Anonymousreply 413February 1, 2018 6:59 PM

[quote]On being proud of the film’s hardcore sex scenes: “There are LGBT films that are conservative when it comes to on-screen sex and I’ve felt short-changed watching them. The way this is shot, and the intimacy of it, I think it would be weird if you never saw such a huge aspect of Johnny’s transition and transformation. It sexual. It’s a big part of same sex relationships, but cinematically, it’s also a brilliant tool to show people how this character is changing and how a dynamic is changing. I’m proud that we don’t shy away from showing two men having sex.”

Yes, the frank sexuality and nudity is refreshing Josh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414February 1, 2018 7:00 PM

What does that have to do with hot Romanian sheep herders r413?

by Anonymousreply 415February 1, 2018 7:01 PM

r415 Gheorghe's mom is an English teacher and it also explains his ability to understand the thick Yorkshire accent. Think a little broader the next time you feel the urge to police posters. Or, you know, don't.

by Anonymousreply 416February 1, 2018 7:05 PM

Gheorghe having no issues understanding the Yorkshire dialect and slang was the most unrealistic part of the movie.

I was like bitch please you understand them fine, the English we all know is not what they are speaking.

by Anonymousreply 417February 1, 2018 7:08 PM

I can't believe people actually walked out during the sex scenes at Sundance.

[quote]O’CONNOR: The premiere was horrific. BROWN: What makes you say that? O’CONNOR: I think we were just really nervous and people were walking out during the sex scenes. BROWN: My friend and I were making fun of those people. It got so much more uplifting.

Sigh. Shows you how far we still have to go. No wonder "zooms to a window" Call Me By Your Name was more beloved there.

by Anonymousreply 418February 1, 2018 7:17 PM

R418 Holy shit, that's deplorable!! And at Sundance as well!

by Anonymousreply 419February 1, 2018 7:18 PM

The sex scenes wasn't even graphic at all, they wouldn't be considered noteworthy if it was guy/girl.

by Anonymousreply 420February 1, 2018 7:20 PM

Seconded R420. The only graphic one is the scene with Johnny and the young auctioneer (or was he a veterinarian?), the two Gheorghe and Johnny sex scenes aren’t explicit at all. The mud combined with the aggression in the blowjob scene makes it look racey but it isn’t really, it’s just intense. Weekend had a lot more graphic/realistic sex scenes. I loved God’s Own Country and it is sexy, but I’m a bit confused by the praise I’ve been seeing for its ’graphic’ sex scenes - I was expecting something like Blue Is the Warmest Color but it was very tame if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 421February 1, 2018 7:45 PM

Anytime something shows two guys having sex, somebody will call it graphic. It still hasn't become normalized.

And I think part of is that we see the peens of both of the guys (though it just them talking, not during sex). But still seeing a dick=shocking, explicit and graphic to audiences.

by Anonymousreply 422February 1, 2018 7:50 PM

The whole thing around the stigma of a man getting penetrated needs to be addressed eventually as well. Because I feel like most of homophobia stems from that, along with misogyny.

This movie kinda leaves the penetration to the less masculine guy at the beginning. Still waiting for a movie where no masculinity (or anything else, really) gets lost as a result of being penetrated. Not depicting gay sex as a power play where one partner needs to get subdued first would help as well. GOC is guilty of that while CMBYN isn't but the latter shies away from penetration altogether.

I have yet to see BPM and I wonder how sex is depicted there.

by Anonymousreply 423February 1, 2018 8:00 PM

I thought Gheorghe teaching Johnny that sex is not a power play and animalisitic but can be a tender and passionate thing was one of the best parts of the movie. And true to life to an experience I went through, that I don't recall seeing captured on screen before.

But anyway, to get to your point if I am understanding you correctly you are looking for something where a masculine character is a proud bottom?

by Anonymousreply 424February 1, 2018 8:08 PM

[quote]The whole thing around the stigma of a man getting penetrated needs to be addressed eventually as well. Because I feel like most of homophobia stems from that, along with misogyny.

It's about the willingness to play along with that silly notion of superior vs. inferior (Straight = superior and Gay = inferior .... leading to ... Top = superior and Bottom= inferior). Of course there is also Male = superior vs. Female = inferior.

[quote]This movie kinda leaves the penetration to the less masculine guy at the beginning.

Because it needed to establish Johnny as a brute who needs to be in charge (like with the no kissing and later saying no to a date with the blond trick).

by Anonymousreply 425February 1, 2018 8:10 PM

R423 BPM is fantastic, superior to both GOC and CMBYN in many ways. I think out of all recent gay releases that’s the one that will stand the test of time. It is very sexy at times and has a great sex scene but the film has a bigger focus on politics and the gay community rather than the romance (although there is a sweet romance in it). Great from start to finish, watch it asap (!)

by Anonymousreply 426February 1, 2018 8:17 PM

R424 Yes, I was talking about their first encounter that (presumably) made people walk out of the theatre. So they were unable to see their lovemaking scene. I'm not saying either of those sex styles is objectively better than the other (as it isn't!), they just have different effects on the straight audiences and that's just the cold harsh truth. I also read their second scene as Gheorghe basically removing John's armour with his hands. So it kinda transcended sex and sexuality for me and became something intimate between two humans, in a way as primal as their first romp.

And yes, seeing a masculine guy bottoming (irrespective of his preference of being an exclusive bottom or not) would be nice to see for a change. Again, nothing to do with bottom shaming; I enjoy engaging in both positions/roles equally.

by Anonymousreply 427February 1, 2018 8:18 PM

I meant I'm not trying to shame feminine guys. But I guess there are so few gay movies around I really shouldn't be bitching about these things and just be grateful for what we do get.

by Anonymousreply 428February 1, 2018 8:22 PM

What does Gheorghe see in Johnny? I get that he’s physically attracted to him but Johnny is such an asshole - especially since Gheorghe could obviously do a lot better. I’m not buying the whole ’he’s maternal and a nurturer’ thing; highly empathic people usually don’t settle for (or try to ”fix”) troubled and self-centered people as a way to get off.

Gheorghe is too saint-like at times, Johnny’s very own manic pixie dream boy farmer

by Anonymousreply 429February 1, 2018 8:24 PM

I guess even emphatic Romanians settle when they're in Yorkshire, surrounded by fuckall.

I didn't see Gheorghe being introduced as a saint as a way to fix John but rather John getting "fixed" (better yet, growing) as a side effect of Gheorghe's decency. It really depends on whether you look at this film as the story of a native or the story of an immigrant. It could be said it's both.

But yes, it would be nice to see Gheorghe fuck up a thing or two. Perhaps that goat cheese could have come out rank or something. I definitely see that pasta dinner as a total fuck up, mind you. Have you [italic]seen[/italic] how much salt he added to that shit?!

Speaking of salt, he was playing with it in the hospital as well. Or was that sugar? I wonder if the director was trying to convey something special with that.

by Anonymousreply 430February 1, 2018 8:47 PM

[quote]What does Gheorghe see in Johnny?

[quote]I guess even emphatic Romanians settle when they're in Yorkshire, surrounded by fuckal

Well Johnny is a top with a big dick, even DL has taught me anything that means he is a great catch!

But also come on, he is a poor Romanian migrant. I'm sure in his life he has never been able to be picky, finding a gay gay boy his age on the farm would be its own little miracle for the character.

by Anonymousreply 431February 1, 2018 8:50 PM

I believe Georghe saw potential in both Johnny and the farm (starting the goat cheese business).

by Anonymousreply 432February 1, 2018 8:53 PM

R431 That's probably the correct answer. He's not from Bucharest or anything so there's no way he had much to choose from back home.

by Anonymousreply 433February 1, 2018 8:54 PM

But I do agree that Gheorghe is too saint-like as a character. I would say that is the strongest criticism of the film, the other characters feel like real people warts and all and he doesn't. Feels like more of a plot-device. The magical negro archetype reinvisioned.

by Anonymousreply 434February 1, 2018 8:59 PM

R432 Entrepreneurial Gheorghe. I like that version and I now wish he had said something to that effect to John as it would mitigate his saintly portrayal that seems to bother some people.

Gheorghe: "We gotta modernize the fuck outta this joint, Johnny bear. All the current economic indicators [italic]in addition[/italic] to the EU's new framework on agricultural policy firmly support my conclusion."

But seriously though, would you not watch the shit out of two gay guys in love endlessly discuss the economics of their farm business?

by Anonymousreply 435February 1, 2018 9:05 PM

[quote]He's not from Bucharest or anything so there's no way he had much to choose from back home.

Romania is definitely still a very homophobic country. I know the actor who plays Gheorghe said in an interview he had played gay before in a play there, and they had to have cops outside the theater to keep them safe.

by Anonymousreply 436February 1, 2018 9:08 PM

[quote]The magical negro archetype reinvisioned.

See, I'm of the opinion that in order to even see him that way, you first need to perceive Romania as a (at least an economic) shithole, when it was clearly not in 2015 when the movie takes place. His account of the state of his home country is probably coloured by bitterness, possibly due to some homophobic experiences in the past. And it's not uncommon for migrants to slag off their country of origin, sometimes in the most vicious manner.

He's not a magical negro, he's simply a migrant like so many others in the EU, moving inside a single market. So not unlike someone from Bumfuck, Alabama, moving to L.A. in hope of a better employment. When you look at it that way, the slightly darker colour of his skin becomes accidental, not a plot point. I for one am glad we're getting stories about (EU) migrants. So many of my friends left for more prosperous EU countries and I'm sure they aren't seen as magical negroes in their new homes either.

by Anonymousreply 437February 1, 2018 9:19 PM

R436 Has he said anything about how this movie has been received in Romania? I'm so interested in that. I bet it's been given zero attention since it wasn't nominated for any Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 438February 1, 2018 9:27 PM

Gheorghe could have more depth as a character but he isn’t always depicted as a saint. He’s the aggressive and borderline violent one - when Johnny keeps throwing slurs at him he wrestles Johnny to the ground and threatens him. He resorts to violence with that racist guy at the bar and he raises his fist to Johnny when he’s pushed him to the car, almost hitting him, before they part. Gheorghe’s behaviour is understandable/justifiable but it shows that he isn’t the perfect Saint George after all. Neither Johnny or Gheorghe are particularly talkative and they communicate with their bodies rather than with words. There are more similarities than differences between the two of them, which is why they have such a strong connection (even in the beginning when it’s pretty antagonistic)

by Anonymousreply 439February 1, 2018 9:37 PM

Georghe stood up to Johnny and the guy at the bar, because that's what he had to do in the past as a seasonal foreign labor worker (not to mention as a gay man). Otherwise the character wouldn't have worked to be such a powerful influence on Johnny.

by Anonymousreply 440February 1, 2018 9:44 PM

R439 Good points. Also, we mustn't forget a manual labourer from the mountains of Romania won't be some delicate flower. Of course, beneath that pragmatic and assertive exterior is a very decent and gentle person (the lamb cradling!). And those traits aren't in opposition to each other, which is exactly what makes him such a wonderfully balanced person.

by Anonymousreply 441February 1, 2018 9:46 PM

I do wonder what Gheorghe’s former lover was like, the one he mentioned to Johnny at the bar. Maybe guys like Johnny are his type.

by Anonymousreply 442February 1, 2018 9:53 PM

I would point out that in all your examples r439, Gheorghe was clearly being attacked and bullied and as the audience you were supposed to think he was in the right when he stood up for himself.

by Anonymousreply 443February 1, 2018 9:55 PM

Not that I can find r438, but it did actually get released in some theaters in Romania I see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444February 1, 2018 10:01 PM

R443 Yeah, I also read his aggressive responses as something he learned early on in order to defend himself. He was getting bullied at home for being gay and now he's bullied in the UK for not looking like the locals. How is one supposed to not get fed up with that shit eventually? And then he gets grief from the only homo in the village as well. Basically, life sucks when you're an "other".

by Anonymousreply 445February 1, 2018 10:03 PM

Johnny is definitely in love with Gheorghe by the end of the film but I’m not sure if the feeling is mutual

by Anonymousreply 446February 1, 2018 10:05 PM

I don't know, Gheorghe obviously felt real pain and heartbreak when he realized Johnny was fucking that other guy in the pub. He definitely had started tof to envision him and Johnny building a life together.

by Anonymousreply 447February 1, 2018 10:09 PM

This is Johnny's first love while Gheorghe went through a relationship before. Of course they would behave differently because of that. But the lack of dramatics doesn't make Gheorghe's feelings towards Johnny any less powerful.

And I'd just like to remind everyone of that look he gave to Johnny after they had returned home from their first trip and Johnny dismounted the bike. A puppy look if I ever saw one. He was definitely smitten right there and then.

by Anonymousreply 448February 1, 2018 10:19 PM

R444 Thanks. And I see from Google Trends there's definitely been some interest in the movie over there. It might just have been their whole gay community googling the movie, but still.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449February 1, 2018 10:31 PM

Gheorghe's feelings I think are more powerful because it about more than a crush r448.

Johnny is a boy falling in love who doesn't know how to handle it.

But Gheorghe looks at Johnny and sees a whole new a life from his migrant one. Stability, a home, a future, being a partner in his own farm.

Johnny hangs that future over Gheorghe's head and them immediately pisses all over it, but he is too dense to get just how much of a destruction of Gheorge's soul that was for him.

by Anonymousreply 450February 1, 2018 10:35 PM

R447, he technically wasn't fucking the other guy since they were facing each other. But you could say he was fucking with, or fucking around, with the other guy…

by Anonymousreply 451February 1, 2018 11:50 PM

Yeah, I can totally see why Gheorghe is into Johnny.

Aside from his empathetic personality, I think the film makes it pretty clear that Gheorghe is lonely too, just as much as Johnny. He's an outsider in a foreign country that treats him like an "other," he had to leave his homeland and everything he knows and loves for some reason (maybe because he's gay), and he's traveling completely alone without an anchor to call home.

It makes a lot of sense to me they would fall for each other. Just as Gheorghe opens Johnny up emotionally, I think Johnny offers Gheorghe a sense of home and stability, and acceptance, that he's desperately craving too. For a poor, gay migrant worker, the odds are pretty slim he'd meet another gay farmer his age who also happens to love him in return.

When Johnny says, "I don't want to be a fuck up anymore," and Gheorghe instinctively reaches out to him...that tells me how much he loves him back. I think he forgave Johnny in that moment, knowing how hard it was for him to say it, but Johnny continues on and makes it clear to Gheorghe that he wants to be with him as partners and equals.

by Anonymousreply 452February 2, 2018 2:04 AM

Your analysis brought a little tear to my eye.

by Anonymousreply 453February 2, 2018 2:06 AM

I thought r414 was a quote from the openly gay director but it's actually a quote from the not out (or is he?) actor Josh O'Connor.

by Anonymousreply 454February 2, 2018 2:15 AM

Both actors are straight and in relationships, R454. Josh used to date Hannah Murray who was on Game of Thrones

by Anonymousreply 455February 2, 2018 2:38 AM

Well, I think we can all agree that Francis Lee--the director--hit a home run when he cast Alec Secareanu to play Gheorghe.

I mean, just look at this gorgeous man. So fucking beautiful.

And to top it off, the actor seems just as sweet, mild-mannered and thoughtful as the character he plays. Of course he's straight (life is never that kind to us, haha), but he seems open minded and liberal from the interviews I read from him.

It'll be interesting to see where is career goes after this film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456February 2, 2018 3:49 AM

It wouldn't be a gay movie if the actors weren't straight.

Is there a renowned gay movie with openly gay actors? I honestly can't think of one.

by Anonymousreply 457February 2, 2018 3:53 AM

If you think about it. The ending is a bit sinister in a way.

At the beginning Johnny is a bitter drunk who feels stuck and trapped on his father's farm having to take orders from him and do everything his father's way. Johnny is so unhappy with himself he sometimes can't even manage to get back to his bed and falls asleep before even getting there (drinking so much). He throws a temper tantrum when Georghe gets hired to help him making him look even less capable.

Georghe caughts Johnny off guard with a mix of standing up to him and show him brief acts of kindness which later leads to Georghe showing him how beautiful and how much potential there is on his farm. Of course there is the moment where the old Johnny fights for keeping things the same (out of fear of change?) and Georghe makes himself scarce so Johnny realizes he rather want the change George represents than his old life.

He decides to persuade Georghe to give him another chance, but not before he tells his father that things will go very different from now on, because Johnny wants to take over the farm on his terms, but they are not exactly his terms, is it? Johnny just replaced taking orders from his dad with taking orders from Georghe.

by Anonymousreply 458February 2, 2018 8:53 AM

... but they are not exactly his terms, ARE THEY?

Sorry 'bout that.

by Anonymousreply 459February 2, 2018 8:55 AM

Someone please tell me at least some of the actors in BPM aren't straight? Because the thought of the three big gay movies of 2017 all having just straight actors is too awful to ponder. The future seems pretty bleak when even gay directors would rather cast straight actors.

Say what you want about Looking (the movie) but I found it refreshing to see some actual gay men playing gay guys. It kinda meant a lot to me, sad as that may sound.

by Anonymousreply 460February 2, 2018 11:22 AM

[quote]He decides to persuade Georghe to give him another chance, but not before he tells his father that things will go very different from now on, because Johnny wants to take over the farm on his terms, but they are not exactly his terms, is it? Johnny just replaced taking orders from his dad with taking orders from Georghe.

But part of the effect Georghe has him on is making Johnny realize he needs to grow up

by Anonymousreply 461February 2, 2018 2:26 PM

[quote]but it's actually a quote from the not out (or is he?) actor Josh O'Connor.

Yeah he is straight, but it is great to hear a straight actor complain about gay movies shying away from sex.

Think he is taking a swipe at "Call Me By Your Name"? The first thing I thought of when I read the quote, I mean the movies did premiere at Sundance together.

by Anonymousreply 462February 2, 2018 2:32 PM

Xavier Dolan feel in love with the movie

[quote]I watched God’s Own Country this morning. It broke my heart at times, but gave me such hope. It made me feel alive, and inspired. I am beyond impressed with Alec Secăreanu and Josh O’Connor’s subtlety and inventiveness. I’m so moved by the simplicity and the movement of the film, and how love, and humans in love, are filmed, and seen. Josh O’Connor’s character says at one point : “I want things to be different”. It made me want to be different too. In that I want to be better at filming people and emotions. I want, sometimes, to see things differently. And I want to thank all the great artists behind God’s Own Country for opening my eyes and filling them with their humanity and talent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463February 2, 2018 2:36 PM

R480: Adele Haenel in BPM is gay. I don't know about the male leads.

by Anonymousreply 464February 2, 2018 2:45 PM

[quote]Say what you want about Looking (the movie) but I found it refreshing to see some actual gay men playing gay guys. It kinda meant a lot to me, sad as that may sound.

I agree. I enjoyed "Looking" for many reasons, but it definitely was a plus to see so many openly gay actors in the cast. So refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 465February 2, 2018 2:47 PM

Fashion!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466February 2, 2018 3:38 PM

[quote]...but they are not exactly his terms, is it? Johnny just replaced taking orders from his dad with taking orders from Georghe.

I personally didn't have that reading at all. I think what Johnny ultimately realizes from Gheorghe's presence is that there is a better way to run the farm, without him having to completely shut down emotionally to everything around him, like his father did before him. He comes to this conclusion on his own terms, after Gheorghe has left. When he says to his grandmother that he can cope, and she says, "you mean like your father did?" I think that is the moment everything comes together for Johnny--he realizes that he has to take ownership of his own life if he's going to have any happiness in it. This means finally having a mature conversation with his dad about accepting him for who he is, not what his dad wants him to be, and also embracing his love for Gheorghe. It not about taking orders from him. This perspective is not being forced on Johnny. It's one he comes to understand and admire. He sees the toll the farm took on his dad, and he doesn't want the same for himself. Basically, he decides for himself that he doesn't want to be alone anymore.

Anyway, just my two cents...

As an aside...I know this is borderline frau-ish behavior, but whenever I see candid photos of Josh and Alec now, I just pretend it's Johnny and Gheorghe hanging out together, having a night out.

Like this adorable twitter picture. Obviously, I really loved the movie and the characters in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467February 3, 2018 2:55 AM

I was also touched when the caravan was being towed away,...

by Anonymousreply 468February 3, 2018 3:01 AM

It was good how Georghe always called him John, not Johnny, and treated him like an adult, not a bolshie teen.

by Anonymousreply 469February 3, 2018 12:24 PM

Whenever I see Josh O'Connor now, I just think of the fact his dick hangs impressively low.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470February 3, 2018 2:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471February 4, 2018 5:59 AM

Any news of a U.S blu-ray release?

by Anonymousreply 472February 4, 2018 1:07 PM

The blu ray comes out Feb 13th.

by Anonymousreply 473February 4, 2018 1:27 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474February 4, 2018 4:49 PM

Just saw this for the third time – – I know -- and it becomes much easier to figure out what Johnny's father and grandmother are saying, as well as Johnny himself.

by Anonymousreply 475February 5, 2018 1:21 AM

It is now on Youtube.

I found the 2 characters not credible at all. I can't imagine them keeping the farm and their crazy relationship alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476May 4, 2018 7:14 AM

On Netflix, with captions available

by Anonymousreply 477May 4, 2018 10:53 AM

I don't understand why the Romanian would be attracted to the english guy. I think the movie should have been a thriller instead and had the English guy force the Romanian into sex in exchange for a roof over his head.

by Anonymousreply 478May 4, 2018 12:55 PM

[quote]I don't understand why the Romanian would be attracted to the english guy.

Did you see my big dick?

by Anonymousreply 479May 4, 2018 1:03 PM

Bu a real answer, how many opportunities do you think a migrant farm worker has r478? Finding a gay guy his own age on the farm is practically a miracle. And notice that at first he isn't super-excited about hooking up with him, he just decides to go along with it.

by Anonymousreply 480May 4, 2018 1:19 PM

I know there won't be a sequel to this fragmentary little movie. The characters are too weak and unbelievable to sustain an extended story.

by Anonymousreply 481May 6, 2018 6:36 AM

Who needs a sequel, the guys are together, out of the caravan and into the farmhouse.

Both Johnny's father and grandmother accepted the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 482May 6, 2018 11:46 PM

R482 I can see you've been raised on Walt Disney movies where the hero and heroine meet, marry and "Live Happily After"

by Anonymousreply 483May 6, 2018 11:59 PM

Rhoda marries Joe! Ratings through the roof. It's a wow...!

Rhoda and Joe are a happily married couple. Dullsville. Bye-bye Joe...!

by Anonymousreply 484May 7, 2018 12:12 AM

I just finished watching this and thought it was beautiful. Don't listen to the critics in the thread above. It's definitely worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 485May 28, 2018 5:37 PM

Especially with the closed captions on

by Anonymousreply 486May 30, 2018 12:16 AM

I just saw it and really like it. Very different than CMBYN so I wouldn't compare them. CMBYN was a soft focus Italian idle about first love obsession.

by Anonymousreply 487May 30, 2018 6:17 PM

Hell to the yes. Loved this movie. 😀

by Anonymousreply 488June 10, 2018 4:59 PM

As my working class English grandmother (who loves gay movies said): "Call Me By Your Name was about toffs, God's Own Country was about grafters."

by Anonymousreply 489June 14, 2018 3:58 AM

Really like it.

I don’t like super bright and breezy posho Josh O’Connor IRL much. He’s a bit precious. But talented and attractive, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 490June 28, 2019 10:05 AM

I don't know why about the complaints about condoms/off-screen anal upthread exists. Just because Johnny spat on the guy to lubricate him, it doesn't mean they didn't use condoms.

by Anonymousreply 491June 29, 2019 2:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!