Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is Baltimore like?

Would you move there?

by Anonymousreply 93June 20, 2018 5:07 PM

Just like any major city, white and black people are heavily gentrified with the affluent white people living in north Baltimore and heavy pockets of poverty in southern Baltimore.

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2017 3:11 AM

[quote] What is Baltimore like?

Pretty much what you'd expect from a city where the mayor during a major riot orders the PD to give the rioters "space" to burn and loot.

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Baltimore sees multiple deadly shootings in just a matter of hours. It was a burst of violence that forced the commissioner to make a drastic move today.

All uniformed officers will be on mandatory 12-hour shifts, as the city hustles to control the crime.

Ava-joye Burnett reports the violence spilled over from the night into broad daylight today.

After a violent night, the police department announced a plan on how to address this problem, as the Police Commissioner was angered by the violence.

The violence in Baltimore started Monday evening and lasted through the night. It spilled over into the middle of Tuesday and by the end of it all, at least 12 people had been shot and at least six dead.

The victims include a 28-year-old man killed during a drug dispute on Bentalou Street, a 37-year-old woman killed in a bullying incident on Gertrude street and a man and woman– both in their twenties, killed during a quadruple shooting on Bonaparte Ave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2017 3:13 AM

It's not as nice as Buffalo, to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2017 3:14 AM

The touristy Inner Harbor, Federal Hill and Fell's Point areas are lovely as is Harbor East.

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2017 3:21 AM

In Baltimore all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2017 3:23 AM

B'more

by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2017 3:24 AM

So long as you're not black, you'll be fine dear OP.

by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2017 3:26 AM

Have a college buddy who was from there and moved back.

There's a bunch of gentrified areas downtown that are pretty cool looking and housing prices are not bad for the northeast. Close to DC too.

Downside is most people who live there are from there--not like DC or LA or NYC or SF where people come from all over.

by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2017 3:28 AM

One should also try things outside the touristy areas like Faidley's Seafood in Lexington Market. Best crab cakes I've ever had. Baltimore also has good public transport including to D.C. Some of it can look depressing but it still has touches of John Waters' Baltimore including at diners and the dated gay and lesbian bars. It's fun to watch Waters' film locations and compare them to their gentrified current versions. The Walters Art Museum and B&O Railroad Museum are great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2017 3:29 AM

It's as beautiful as San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2017 3:30 AM

If you're coming from Atlanta, it feels like a decaying industrial Northeastern city. If you're coming from NYC, it feels like a sleepy Southern town.

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2017 3:32 AM

[quote] It's as beautiful as San Francisco.

It isn't.

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2017 3:32 AM

I used to live there.

My apartment was broken into twice. I got off easy as most of my friends had been mugged at gunpoint. One friend was tackled from behind, dragged into an alley and kicked in the head for his pocket change. This was near the Walters Art Museum during the daytime.

Horrorshow of crime. Avoid.

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2017 3:34 AM

Oh, but the crab cakes are delicious, LOL. If that's reason enough for you to live there, God Bless.

by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2017 3:36 AM

Baltimore has a really similar vibe to Newark, New Jersey. Even the touristy areas have roaming herds of little wanna be gangsters in training running around harassing people and vandalizing everything. It vaguely feels like some kind of violence is about to break out just walking down the street. It's a lot more noticeable than in other cities. It doesn't have anything redeemable about it to counteract the general shitiness.

As an anecdote- on one of my visits to the aquarium I saw an older man in a suit followed down the street by a bunch of kids who were kicking him in the behind as he walked. People gave it a glance and that was it. Not an isolated type of incident there. Every time I've visited it's been similar or worse.

by Anonymousreply 15June 15, 2017 3:38 AM

It's a garbage dump, stay away.

by Anonymousreply 16June 15, 2017 3:41 AM

Man, it's hard just to live.

by Anonymousreply 17June 15, 2017 3:41 AM

I live here and I like it a lot, there's a big arts scene because of MICA, which keeps it solidly blue, which is a big plus for me. I've been lucky crime wise, it's possible to live here and not have your car broken into, but most of my friends have had theirs broken into. Mine was once, but I'd left a door unlocked, and things had just been rifled through with change stolen. The city is pretty segregated though, and there are blocks of abandoned rowhouses that are a disgrace.

I lived in DC before moving here, and that city has no soul.

by Anonymousreply 18June 15, 2017 3:41 AM

I was there 4 years ago R15, didn't see any of that.

Newark, OTOH, has no cute gentrified neighborhoods. It's a giant ghetto except for the Portuguese section.

Very different

by Anonymousreply 19June 15, 2017 3:43 AM

The homeless and/or schizophrenic are very evident on Baltimore streets as are the black, boxy rat traps.

It is still the only place I've seen a homeless/schizophrenic person kick a pigeon on the sidewalk. And laugh and sing a song after doing so.

by Anonymousreply 20June 15, 2017 3:49 AM

You clearly have never been to Santa Monica, R20

Or San Francisco, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 21June 15, 2017 3:50 AM

Portuguee

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2017 3:50 AM

R21, I've beento Santa Monica several times and SF many times. I've seen many homeless people in SF where they are a scourge. But I've never seen one kicking a pigeon into the air other than in Baltimore. The pigeon survived.

by Anonymousreply 23June 15, 2017 3:53 AM

R19 - While Newark doesn't have cute gentrified neighborhoods, I certainly wouldn't classify the Weequahic and Forest Hill sections as ghetto. (And BTW, the majority of the Portuguese residents in the Ironbound section have moved to suburbs and have been replaced by Spanish & Portuguese speaking South Americans.)

by Anonymousreply 24June 15, 2017 3:54 AM

Dunno R24

My white grandparents in Short Hills and their friends would never think of venturing into Newark other than to see a Devils game (grandpa) or eat at one of those Portuguese restaurants which may well by run by Brazilians-- neighborhood is still safe for tourists at night.

Don't know those other sections other than Weequahic was the old Jewish neighborhood and it's supposed to have been turned into a slum. Has it gentrified?

by Anonymousreply 25June 15, 2017 3:58 AM

Baltimore was the first big city built in America after independence. It derives from an era when Americans thought to compete with Europe, a time of baroque ambition and semi-refined taste. In this respect, it is far different than other American cities. I suppose some will compare to Boston but really it is its own animal.

by Anonymousreply 26June 15, 2017 4:59 AM

Baltimore was founded in 1729, long before the American independence. It is the largest independent city in the United States. Baltimore does not belong to any county and only answers to Annapolis (state government).

I'm a native San Franciscan and find Baltimore City to be extremely beautiful, in fact the entire state of Maryland is much like a huge park. If you like rivers and woodlands, and the sea you'll love both Baltimore City and the entire state. I lived in Baltimore for 13 years and still I miss the place. Fortunately, I have condo in Baltimore City and when it's not leased, I return and live there until another tenant has signed on.

Baltimore City is 70 to 80% black. That took some getting used to in the beginning, but the mostly white neighborhoods are at the very least beyond charming and many are absolutely beautiful. You will not regret you time in Baltimore.

The official name of Baltimore City is used distinguish it for the surrounding Baltimore county, of which the city is fully independent.

by Anonymousreply 27June 15, 2017 5:25 AM

It sucks.

by Anonymousreply 28June 15, 2017 5:46 AM

I once went to Baltimore, Maryland to see the Wretched and have biiiig fun!

by Anonymousreply 29June 15, 2017 5:56 AM

Baltimore is a shithole. They have at least 17,000 abandoned boarded up houses/building in the city that they want to bulldoze. It's really sad. You can drive miles and only see boarded up houses. Every 20 homes you might see a house with the boards pulled off the front door and a bunch of crack heads / heroin addicts coming in and out of them. It's sick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 15, 2017 7:02 AM

Hair Spray Bitches.

by Anonymousreply 31June 15, 2017 7:45 AM

Well, I always had fun there.

by Anonymousreply 32June 15, 2017 8:06 AM

My friends down there call it Boredsmore because it's a quiet little town.

by Anonymousreply 33June 15, 2017 9:38 AM

Anything beyond Inner Harbor and a few blocks of center city is an absolute shithole. Do, an I mean do not, put this city on your travel itinerary. Crime is through the roof and many parts of the city are completely run down.

by Anonymousreply 34June 15, 2017 11:38 AM

Bodymore, Murderland has an interesting history, a few pretty buildings, and some restaurants that serve good food. Isn't that enough??????

by Anonymousreply 35June 15, 2017 11:41 AM

Native Marylanders are a very coarse people. Horrible accents, rude and without manners for the most part. The upper classes have that typical provincial entitlement. It's not for me.

by Anonymousreply 36June 15, 2017 11:44 AM

Dodge the bullets and rape to enjoy Hooters, Uno's, and Cheesecake Factory at the Inner Harbor shopping mall.

by Anonymousreply 37June 15, 2017 11:44 AM

You'll never be happier than the during the time Baltimore is your home.

by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2017 6:44 PM

Cheap housing

by Anonymousreply 39June 24, 2017 6:48 PM

Baltimore can be a really fun town if you have the right guide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2017 6:59 PM

Beyond the crime, it is shockingly dull and slow. It is very Southern

by Anonymousreply 41June 24, 2017 7:03 PM

It's a well known fact that overweight women eat dog shit off the sidewalks!

by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2017 7:35 PM

I've considered moving to Baltimore from DC. It does have that old industrial city feel to it because there was an industrial sector at one time. Mt Vernon section is beautiful and historic. It isn't as Manhattanized as DC and yes, I agree DC has become soulless like anyplace where money and only money is THE criteria...there are even ads for those who want to buy Bentleys...so silly an LAish. the word 'gentrification' in my mind is fast becoming a coded word for "white /privileged and somewhat safe' a way to exhale, huh?

by Anonymousreply 43June 24, 2017 8:38 PM

R27- I live in Baltimore and I find your remarks about race stupid- and I'm white. Baltimore is a segrated because it is really a Southern working class town. And some of those black people you " had to get use to" are crime ridden in part because the whites still rule the city, financially in various ways, and control the law.

R9- when were you last n Baltimore.? Five movies ago? Not that the city you described would be worth a visit.

by Anonymousreply 44June 24, 2017 9:16 PM

Well, I don't know what you're accustomed to in good grooming, but this is the Lipstick Beauty Salon and not some bargain-basement beauty school!

by Anonymousreply 45June 24, 2017 10:08 PM

In Baltimore all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 46June 25, 2017 12:57 AM

I need to reverse the racism on this site, so there are no black people in Baltimore. And if there were, they wouldn't jump at any opportunity to rob and murder you.

by Anonymousreply 47June 25, 2017 1:02 AM

You can't escape the crime by living in or spending time in Mt. Vernon. Criminals know that they can find victims with money and valuables there who won't put up a fight. You're actually probably better off hanging out in East Baltimore! The crooks will assume that you're a broke badass and leave you alone.

by Anonymousreply 48June 25, 2017 1:04 AM

Good Morning Baltimore! 🎶

by Anonymousreply 49June 25, 2017 1:46 AM

Don't go to Crockfield Mall unless you like gettin' your feet stomped!

by Anonymousreply 50June 25, 2017 1:46 AM

Baltimore been very good to me.

by Anonymousreply 51June 25, 2017 1:51 AM

I was surprised at how southern Baltimore felt

But Southerners will likely see it as another industrial northern city as someone noted upthread.

by Anonymousreply 52June 25, 2017 1:58 AM

How accurate was "The Wire" in depicting Baltimore?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 25, 2017 2:11 AM

It would be fine if the accent wasn't god awful. It's like nails on a chalk board.

by Anonymousreply 54March 3, 2018 8:09 PM

10 percent of the population are addicted to heroin, according to Wikipedia.

by Anonymousreply 55March 3, 2018 8:35 PM

I love Baltimore however it's best to stay when you visit short term and where most tourist do, by the harbor. It has homeless people pretty much everywhere including drug dealing corners. It does have police patrolling on foot if it's any consolation. love little Italy, museums and the market, Crab cakes there are amazing. I grew up in NY so I'm not put off by Baltimore at all. If anything, it breaks my heart knowing all too well the corrupted politician who run the city. So don't expect it to get better. I did here recently, the young local kids have been walking around the seaport in groups and assaulting people by punching folks in the face so that's new. And yes... It's very much like HBO's "The Wire.

by Anonymousreply 56March 3, 2018 9:02 PM

I worked with a guy years ago from there who pronounced it "Ballmer". He also couldn't say "water". He pronounced it "wutter".

by Anonymousreply 57March 3, 2018 9:25 PM

Every day's like an open door.

by Anonymousreply 58March 3, 2018 9:30 PM

Shithole

by Anonymousreply 59March 3, 2018 9:30 PM

I know this is a bit off topic, but can anyone tell me if there is any streaming platform where I can watch the entire series "The Wire" fro start to finish? A sportswriter friend whose judgment I trust says it is his favorite TV production of all time, so I want to give it a shot.

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 60March 3, 2018 9:38 PM

Amazon prime video has the whole series streaming, R60

by Anonymousreply 61March 3, 2018 9:49 PM

The Wire was an awesome show. Don't think it will ever return to television.

by Anonymousreply 62March 3, 2018 10:42 PM

Just remember when you're looking for overnight accommodations, all the hotels there have the "L" darkened or blanked out, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 63March 3, 2018 11:02 PM

It's a petri dish too

by Anonymousreply 64March 3, 2018 11:05 PM

R27- I agree I loved living in Maryland. I got the impression though-15 minutes outside of DC was better founded in parks, schools and surrounding neighborhoods in Maryland. Montgomery , was one and even parts of Prince George county. I figured most residents from there worked in DC. so somehow bills got passed much faster-go figure.

by Anonymousreply 65March 3, 2018 11:09 PM

B'more has more to offer than Inner Harbor--beautiful neighborhoods esp. northward in the city. Neighborhoods like Patterson Park on the East Side have made big comebacks, The homeless are no more or less present than any any other big city, but they don't dominate downtown like they do in Atlanta. The Atlanta comparison upthread is interesting because anyone who has been to Atlanta a few times knows what a big nothing of place it is--B'more doesn't try to oversell like like some sunbelt sprawlburg w/o culture. I mean opera in the suburbs not the city? The Walters is nothing special, but the crab cakes are delicious. B'more is a small town that got big but is still a small town.

by Anonymousreply 66March 4, 2018 1:23 AM

They wash their white marble stoop steps.

by Anonymousreply 67March 4, 2018 3:54 AM

OP Baltimore is a like an Oreo cookie , without the cream center , an absolutely no milk available for dunking !!

by Anonymousreply 68March 4, 2018 4:04 AM

It’s a sewer, hon.

by Anonymousreply 69March 4, 2018 4:53 AM

Q: Baltimore? A: Crabcakes.

That says it all.

by Anonymousreply 70March 4, 2018 5:08 AM

Its white trash walking around like zombies smoking crack and sunburned from hanging in the water eating crabs all day. A bunch of fucking rednecks! The accent makes them sound like they're ready to fight at any moment. Um and most of Maryland is like this - its not just Baltimore.

by Anonymousreply 71March 4, 2018 10:05 PM

I had an internship there one summer during college - this was awhile ago. It’s very backward and pushes quirkiness. There’s also a preppy, blue blood element that lives out in the northern part of the county - horse country. I’ve been back and was disappointed at how bad the Inner Harbor has become - very trashy

by Anonymousreply 72March 4, 2018 10:37 PM

Mt. Vernon Place, Baltimore. Compare to that trashy Beacon Hill of the same vintage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 4, 2018 10:38 PM

Beautiful weather year round. I recommend wearing nothing but shorts and a light tee even in the middle of January!

by Anonymousreply 74March 4, 2018 10:41 PM

And a mere 2 blocks from where R73 picture was taken there have been multiple attacks on gay people by the "west baltimore demographic " not safe place . Oh and don't get me started about the string of bad mayors who are corrupt and see only one color, green.

by Anonymousreply 75March 5, 2018 12:16 AM

Baltimore does have a cool spirit, many good parts to the city and has a lot to offer at an affordable price. It does also have large swaths of poverty and all the problems that brings. Baltimore is a small city, so even in the good neigorhboods you are never that far from a poor neighborhood. Mount Vernon being an easy example.

Like others have said, in some ways I like it better than DC. It isn't as soulless and pretentious. But it definitely isn't for everyone. You have to be able to handle the grit.

by Anonymousreply 76March 6, 2018 12:55 PM

Most DLers can't handle a crying baby in a supermarket. They wouldn't be able to handle Baltimore.

by Anonymousreply 77March 6, 2018 1:44 PM

r76 Id be able to handle it if it wasn't for the horrible Maryland accent.

by Anonymousreply 78March 6, 2018 9:05 PM

I've been to Baltimore. But, I've never been to me.

by Anonymousreply 79March 7, 2018 3:40 AM

It's the Paris of Maryland!

by Anonymousreply 80March 7, 2018 3:45 AM

There is a documentary on Netflix that features the open air drug markets of West Baltimore. It’s shocking and fascinating. I couldn’t believe how fast the whole area looked. Blocks and blocks of desolation.

by Anonymousreply 81June 18, 2018 3:31 AM

Vast, not fast.

by Anonymousreply 82June 18, 2018 3:32 AM

This is an accurate depiction of life n Baltimore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 18, 2018 3:57 AM

I lived in Hampden for a few months on a temporary work assignment and loved it.

by Anonymousreply 84June 18, 2018 1:29 PM

Baltimore is devastated by poverty. In stark contrast, the area immediately north of Baltimore is where the landed gentry live --- in fact, many British aristocrats have "farms" there, where they keep racehorses and do charitable work, while escaping British taxes.

Very horsey, very beautiful, very right wing and oppressive.

So the area is as completely segregated as the antebellum South. Cops are vicious, education sucks, cost of living very high.

by Anonymousreply 85June 18, 2018 1:36 PM

[quote]Anything beyond Inner Harbor and a few blocks of center city is an absolute shithole

That will be news to the wealthy population who live in neighborhoods such as Canton, Federal Hill and Locus Point.

There are absolutely a lot of Baltimore that is impoverished, no getting around that reality, but there are plenty of high earning professionals who live in the city as well. The white population of Baltimore has actually been steadily increasing.

[quote]But in more recent years, trends have reversed. In raw numbers, Baltimore’s black population has declined every year since 1993, while the white population has increased seven years in a row.

There is actually a lot of gentrification that is happening with Baltimore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 18, 2018 1:46 PM

Lots of hot cagemeat.

by Anonymousreply 87June 18, 2018 1:57 PM

It's very much like Tacoma Washington.

by Anonymousreply 88June 18, 2018 1:59 PM

I spent one autumn working in Baltimore. I found that as long as you stay in the right neighborhoods, it's a great city with lots of character. The Inner Harbor is quite lovely with a brand new aquarium. People are friendly and welcoming, and the population is liberal. Lots of train links make it easy to get into DC and any major Northeastern city.

The main downside, from what I could tell, is that it's quite small. It's not a large city to begin with, and then if you stick to the safe areas, it feels even smaller.

by Anonymousreply 89June 18, 2018 6:57 PM

How many Italian Americans live there?

by Anonymousreply 90June 18, 2018 7:12 PM

All the white people who live in Baltimore need speech and language lessons - even the attorneys sound like white trash. The accent is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 91June 20, 2018 4:27 PM

I don't care what anyone says. Baltimore is BEAUTIFUL. I mean, just look!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 20, 2018 4:48 PM

You have to drive to DC to get your pot legally-ish.

by Anonymousreply 93June 20, 2018 5:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!