Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Allen Ludden

Despite the kids from his first marriage, he was basically gay, right?

I always had the impression that Allen and Betty White were like Kitty Carlisle and Moss Hart -- a marriage of best friends where the woman wasn't particularly interested in sex. Certainly there never was any gossip of affairs, and after Ludden died Betty declared him the only love of her life and never seemed to want a steady male companion again. Plus Betty never had (or wanted) kids, and she and the stepkids never really got along.

What's Allen Ludden's story?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 3, 2022 6:52 PM

She seemed like a real cunt to the stepchildren.

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2017 7:29 PM

I thought she got along fine with his kids, guess I was wrong. What's the scoop?

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2017 7:44 PM

Betty got a real thrill out of pushing little Jenny Lewis out the door. She mentioned in the latest Golden Girls book that she relished doing it because she couldn't stand "the child actor" they got for the role. That she was too Hollywood acting and insincere in her delivery. She even added that she put a little heft into her hand

I could only imagine Bea's reaction if she were around to read that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2017 8:02 PM

That's funny cause Jenny Lewis had nothing but good things to say about Betty in an interview. And Betty has no right to talk about Hollywood acting.

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2017 8:14 PM

The Password is "covfefe".

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2017 8:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2017 8:23 PM

The Lewis quotes were odd. They seemed so unlike Betty, and against her usual grain. Reading it, I was a bit taken aback.

Perhaps the writer captured Betty in a bad mood that day.

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2017 12:10 AM

Allen Ludden hit on me back in the late 70s at Studio One (gay club in LA)- don't remember who he was with, but it wasn't Betty. True story!

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2017 1:06 AM

Wow that's pretty mean of her r3. It's one thing if the kid was smart ass with an attitude problem, but giving her a hard shove because she wasn't a great actress is pretty rough.

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2017 1:20 AM

The password is .... BEARD.

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2017 1:23 AM

The password is... gullible.

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2017 1:26 AM

When Betty was the honoree on This is Your Life in 1987, there was no appearance of her stepchildren via Ludden.

by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2017 1:42 AM

Betty said in a bio on YT that one of her marriages ended because she didn't want to have children and he did. So, not really a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2017 1:44 AM

I eondet if Betty's comments weren't meant to be tongue in cheek. I mean, who says that??

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2017 1:45 AM

R I P

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2017 1:47 AM

He and Betty are on an old rerun of "Tattletales" right now, by sheer coincidence, and I must admit he is coming across as a major ass on this show. They don't even look like they really like each other here. Strange. Now that someone mentioned the beard marriage thing, I guess it really is possible.

by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2017 1:58 AM

Ludden being gay is a recurring rumor. No real evidence beyond some vague anecdotes.

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2017 2:29 AM

gay.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2017 3:03 AM

I eondet if Betty's comments weren't meant to be tongue in cheek.

Eondet, covfefe, covfefe, eondet... Let's call tbe whole thibg ogf!!

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2017 3:38 AM

I Luv the Luddens!!!

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 2:00 PM

Who is this Allen Ludden troll? Ludden died a billion fucking years ago and was a minor tv game show host.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 2:39 PM

He was a major host. Wink Martindale defines minor.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 2:58 PM

Never got the love for Betty. She always gave off a bitch vibe to me.

So, DL's frequent warm fuzzy comments about her remain a puzzlement.

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2021 3:01 PM

^^Same. It wouldn’t surprise me if she meant it about Jenny. It could be exaggerated but in my experience old people tend to take off the gloves. In any event, I don’t think she would have come this far in show business without some bitch-on-wheels drive, right or wrong. I remember hearing somewhere she was more like Sue Ann in real life.

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2021 3:30 PM

I don't associate nerdiness with gayness. Allen Ludden doesn't ping to me.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2021 3:37 PM

[quote] He was a major host.

I'm STILL "major"!

It's the TV game shows that got minor...

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2021 3:44 PM

Ludden being gay is a recurring rumor - AT THE DATALOUNGE

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2021 5:12 PM

[quote]She mentioned in the latest Golden Girls book that she relished doing it because she couldn't stand "the child actor" they got for the role.

The GG episodes that featured a kid as a guest star were always some of the weaker episodes. And 80s child actors were the fucking worst, they were always so obnoxious and couldn't act.

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2021 5:28 PM

Mary Tyler Moore said in an interview years ago the Betty was more like Sue Ann Nivens than people would imagine...

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2021 5:36 PM

I know one of Betty White's step daughters! Apparently, she was fine to them--not warm or very maternal, but fine. One of Ludden's daughters has some issues (mental, I think), and Betty has footed the bill for her care.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2021 6:04 PM

[quote] the Betty was more like Sue Ann Nivens than people would imagine...

Now where have I heard that before, R29? Oh, yeah, MY goddamn post. Try contributing something original for once.

by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2021 7:40 PM

R30, When Betty was the subject of a 1987 prime time "live" edition of "This Is Your Life", none of the stepchildren appeared or were even mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2021 7:45 PM

LOL, I just realized that I was R12 in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2021 7:47 PM

Some of my fellow eldergays surely remember Allen as the host of the "GE College Bowl."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2021 8:03 PM

She never wanted kids so I'm guessing she didn't make a strong effort to bond with Allen's kids. Allen was straight.

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2021 8:21 PM

A lot of people in that game show world knew that Allen Ludden had a close friendship with fellow host Tom Kennedy (Split Second, Name That Tune.) I always wondered if they were more than just "friends."

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2021 8:56 PM

Tom Kennedy's brother was fellow game show host Jack Narz.

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2021 9:06 PM

r31/r24

My deepest apologies.

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2021 9:11 PM

I thought Betty white's last word was "Allen". How could he be gay?

by Anonymousreply 39June 3, 2022 5:30 AM

Betty actually was quite close with Allen's children and gave them quite a bit of monetary help after he died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 3, 2022 5:44 AM

I used to lurk in a forum for game show super fans that included a lot of old timers that worked in the industry. Ludden had a sort of cerebral, Alex Trebek type reputation from hosting College Bowl and Password, but according to the insiders he was actually a rather dim bulb. They said working on his shows was always harder because of the extra time it took them to get Allen up to speed on whatever was going on.

I've never heard any rumors about his sexuality, but in my opinion they were the epitome of that couple who talks a lot about being passionately in love but have no visible chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 41June 3, 2022 6:51 PM

As we have seen, he was probably one of those closeted men who ate pussy from here to sundown.

by Anonymousreply 42June 3, 2022 6:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!