Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Scarlett Johansson's Film Career

At one point in her career, she was the "director's choice," starring in more dramatic films such as "Girl with a Pearl Earring," "Lost in Translation," "The Island," "Match Point." "The Other Boleyn Girl," and "The Prestige."

Now she's doing "The Hangover Girls" movies, like "Rough Night"???

What happened?

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2019 2:58 AM

Turned 30, had a kid, aged out of the director's masturbatory fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2017 6:08 AM

ScarJo isn't that great of an actress. She got cast as the lead in Rough Night as a way of trying to get people to see that movie in the theaters.

by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2017 6:50 AM

After the Avengers movies, ScarJo probably has enough fuck you money to not really care about the parts she gets anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2017 7:03 AM

You don't know much about Scarlette, after Lucy she is in great demand...for years now.

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2017 7:16 AM

I find her compelling enough as an actress and wish her as much success as can happen along the way for her. It's harder nowadays to become a huge star. Stardom today is more muted, diluted, and nebulous compared to 20 years or more ago. People see through the HW corporate bs and are too numbed to even bother to think if whatever actors they like will be around for however long they can stick around.

by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2017 7:40 AM

How'd that Japanese movie do?

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2017 7:42 AM

no nominations

by Anonymousreply 7May 28, 2017 7:54 AM

She was/is beautiful and was a decent actress who had a great run. I have seen this happen to many actresses in Hollywood. At a certain point, you are no longer that young, hot sex symbol. Your fan base has moved on to other fantasy objects. Staging a comeback by starring in those less glamorous, more middle-aged roles are what equate to Oscar nods if you are lucky and play your cards right. They rarely achieve such acclaim just by playing a sexy, young glamour girl. She has a solid name in the business and will find no problem getting roles going forward if she wants them. They will just be a different sort of role and there is nothing wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 8May 28, 2017 8:00 AM

A Starlette Johnson thread!!!! Oh, to die!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9May 28, 2017 8:34 AM

It's what happens to all the untalented actresses who only get parts based on their looks-they age out. Getting her breast implants taken out was a bad move

by Anonymousreply 10May 28, 2017 9:50 AM

She looks like a fish. Her eyes are on the sides of her head. Someone finally noticed.

by Anonymousreply 11May 28, 2017 9:55 AM

She is working on a film with Wes Anderson...how dumb are you guys?

by Anonymousreply 12May 28, 2017 10:21 AM

She's a huge star, but she can't act, according to the experts. Amy Adams. Cate Blanchett. Natalie Portman. Michelle Williams. Would you put Scarlett in their category as artists?

by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2017 12:45 AM

Her pussy gave out and JLaws gave in.

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2017 12:46 AM

She has a Tony!

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2017 12:46 AM

I have never "gotten " her. Not bad in Pearl. Otherwise, meh.

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2017 12:55 AM

She's OK with comedy as her SNL appearances have proven.

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2017 12:58 AM

r8 - Nicole Kidman

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2017 1:08 AM

Yeah, as r3 said Johansson is printing money off the Marvel movies so I think she is doing fantastic. Other actresses would kill for what she has.

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2017 1:29 AM

Her career would be different had she not lost on Les Mis to Hathaway, or Girl with a Dragon Tattoo to Mara, or My Week with Marilyn to Michelle Williams. That'd be one Oscar win and two other nominations. That must sting her something terrible.

by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2017 3:11 AM

Scarlett has a better career than any of those actresses, R20.

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2017 3:15 AM

I agree with [R16] in that I have never understood her career. I don't see an amazing talent in her, at least not one that merit the dramatic roles she got. I think she is ok as an actress but not outstanding. Perhaps had she gotten one of the roles mentioned by [R20] I would see her differently. I have to say, though, that winning an Oscar for Les Miz didn't prove a boon for Anne Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2017 3:22 AM

Marion Cotillard has them all beat by a mile.

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2017 3:23 AM

She beats them with her prosthetic foot.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2017 3:27 AM

When she was young she had an expressive face and directors could use her as a sort of blank slate, just letting her react to whatever they threw at her. It worked in the right roles.

But she lost that unselfconscious expressiveness as she grew up, and never developed any technique to take its place! She's grown up to be a very uninteresting actress but she's done well in spite of her limitations, which probably means she has some good career smarts. But since she never really learned to act her career isn't going to last past 30, her looks are already fading.

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2017 7:09 AM

Check out her movie Under the Skin. Suuuuper weird. I give her credit for doing that kind of cinema.

by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2017 7:51 AM

She lost her looks when she cut her hair

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2017 8:36 AM

Yes, [R27]! One of the worst haircuts on an A list actress in the past decade! And she's pretty much just kept with that look regardless of how awful it is on her...

by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2017 8:43 AM

She could never have been as self-pitying as Anne Hathaway was in Les Miz!

by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2017 9:47 AM

She is what she is: a moviestar and bombshell (whilst fading, men still want to hit that) lacking any real acting ability. Action gigs are her niche now.

by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2017 6:22 PM

Her looks aren't "fading" at all.

by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2017 6:27 PM

Her looks aren't fading, but her sex appeal most certainly is. The new Jackie Warner dyke cut has halved her sex appeal in an instant. Never mind her nasal Yenta-in-training voice that has gotten worse with age.

by Anonymousreply 32October 1, 2017 6:46 PM

She should start working with Polanski and Lynch.

by Anonymousreply 33October 1, 2017 6:56 PM

Scarlett still looks good.

by Anonymousreply 34October 1, 2017 7:21 PM

Never had any looks to fade.

by Anonymousreply 35October 2, 2017 1:53 AM

I think she was trying to prove she was talented back then. Now she doesn't care she has other concerns and can take roles for money.

by Anonymousreply 36October 2, 2017 7:36 PM

I think she is bisexual and hooks up and marries other bi's. I think her career is fine. Kind of like Michelle Pfeiffer's career at the same age. But Michelle never had a lucrative franchise!

by Anonymousreply 37October 2, 2017 8:18 PM

I wouldn't mind her winning the Oscar this year as long as she stops talking about Woody Allen and wanting to steal roles from minorities. I guess I now know how a republican feels about liberal celebs.

by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2019 2:01 AM

She's getting Oscar buzz for A Marriage Story.

by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2019 2:05 AM

Love her — she’s beautiful and talented. I adore how jealous some bitches are of her, ha ha!

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2019 2:12 AM

She’s one of my favorites. I like that she’s low-key on screen, and she never plays the same role twice. She probably should have gotten an Oscar nod for Lost in Translation so I do hope they give her one this year.

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2019 2:15 AM

I suspect Sofia Coppola wanted Kirsten Dunst for Lost in Translation and she was unavailable when Bill Murray was ready to go. Scarlett filed the Gap and it made her career. Other than Match Point she hasn't done another strong movie.

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2019 2:17 AM

R20 I wouldn't recast any of those parts.

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2019 2:19 AM

She’s stunningly beautiful but an okay actress. She’s definitely got fuck you money after Marvel so maybe she just takes roles that interest her rather than chasing high profile blockbuster parts.

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2019 2:21 AM

She is still tied to the Marvel franchise. There's a stand alone Black Widow movie coming and they could always throw her into flashbck sequences like they will with RDJ.

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2019 2:23 AM

Under the Skin is extraordinary. Not for everyone but I do give her props for taking it on.

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2019 2:28 AM

r25 hit it on the fucking nail. Yes.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2019 2:30 AM

She has such a constant resting bitch face. She's not nearly as special as she thinks she is.

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2019 2:42 AM

I was going to point out that all of OP's "good" films of Johansson's are from ten years ago. They are but back then she had the Wooden ACTING HARD Contest with Natalie Portman in the Boleyn thing. She also had a dreadfully bad act off with Hilary Swank in Black Dahlia. Swank's unwatchable attempt at playing an upper class girl won with ease.

Has to be the director with her, maybe the comic book stuff will take her into her 40s.

I wonder how much the douchebag French husband got/is getting from her in their divorce?

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2019 2:56 AM

Sorry OP, I didn't remember you liked the Boleyn one.

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2019 2:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!