Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is there shame in pooping?

I'm always very shy and embarrassed about doing this at work and public restrooms, I know I'm not the only one. If other people come in I hide in the stall until I hear them finish and leave. And at work I go as fast as I can so my coworkers don't wonder if I'm taking so long because I'm going #2.

Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 104November 12, 2022 1:32 AM

You poop?? Why? That's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2017 4:45 PM

Because some people live on CRAP food and stink up public bathrooms. Then do not have the decency to flush. Some people can be pigs. I do like the public restrooms with automatic air fresheners. No matter what it still smells fresh. Also, I hate the public restrooms that are so quiet. You can hear everyone's bodily noises. The grunting, pushing, etc. Turn the music on.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2017 4:48 PM

The men's room at my office only has two stalls, so it's a little too...intimate for me. I wish it was a huge bathroom with several stalls so you wouldn't always have to be right next to someone.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2017 4:53 PM

There should be no shame, but it is really something you should do at home before you shower each day.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2017 5:00 PM

"I'm the Queen. I never poo."

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2017 5:03 PM

Calling it shitting, you schoolgirl.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2017 5:06 PM

Here, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2017 5:09 PM

Shame? SHAME?

What is that?

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2017 5:10 PM

Air freshener smells anything but fresh.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2017 5:10 PM

R7 Thank you for posting that. I thought it was only me who had those experiences!

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2017 5:11 PM

Well, one thing I've learned is that if you see someone from another department or different floor than you come barreling out of the restroom dedicated for your group, turn right around immediately.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2017 5:15 PM

I used to work in a building with several different floors. I would just go to a different floor where no one really knew me.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2017 5:17 PM

I used to work with a guy who would go into the stall, leave the door open and carry on conversations while farting and shitting. When I saw him walk in I immediately walked out.

I only learned to feel comfortable peeing in public bathrooms about 20 years ago and I can't imagine shitting in a public bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2017 5:19 PM

carry a bucket and trash bags in your car and do your business there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2017 5:22 PM

The shame is in doing it at work. Stalls at the office should be marked for emergency use only and segregated from other restroom facilities. Preferably, the stalls should be kept outside, locked until the perpetrator explains to a manager why they need access to one.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2017 5:32 PM

In Europe, they have the common sense to have completely private stalls, floor to ceiling walls/doors. SO much better. It's odd that Americans are generally considered more prudish than Europeans but have no problem letting everyone know they're on the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2017 5:37 PM

In my office building, the commodes are separate from the rest of the bathroom. Once inside the bathroom, you go through another door, down a long hallway, through one more set of doors, and you come to six completely separate rooms, each containing a commode and a sink. Each room has a state-of-the-art ventilation/exhaust system, the commodes all have bidet options with nice warm water, and there are plenty of air freshener choices (non aerosol, made from essential oils).

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2017 5:39 PM

to poop is not shameful, to poop spontaneously from gluttony is disgusting

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2017 5:41 PM

It's because of evolution. If you were to poop in the caveman era, the wild animals would smell your shit, find you, and eat you. People who weren't embarrassed and hung around their shit were eaten by bears. This is especially true for women, who generally sat in one place. The men were out and constantly moving around hunting/finding food, so they were less susceptible to being attacked for shitting. This explains why women are more ashamed of farting/shitting than most men. Also explains why we use perfumes with scents wild animals hate- notice there's no "red meat" scented perfume. Women tend to like to smell of perfumes more than men, which also supports this theory.

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2017 5:53 PM

R19 that's actually fascinating, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2017 5:56 PM

It's actually a lot more basic than R19 describes. Animals are predisposed not to hang around their bowel movements because they are infused with toxins. This is less true of plant eaters so they are a little more willing to shit where they eat, like cows for instance. But meat eaters generally have highly toxic BMs and need to stay clear of them.

When you are a meat eater, you have toxins in your body but you also are consuming the toxins in other animals bodies. A great example is the swordfish, which has lots of mercury in its muscle tissue. It takes in mercury from the water, but then it takes in the mercury of all the fish it eats as well.

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2017 6:00 PM

I remember as a kid my dad telling me when he was in the service, they had no stalls for toilets, just a bunch of toilets lined up on the wall. If you needed to go, you did it in front of everyone. I don't know if it's still like that these days.

Showering together with no privacy? Sign me up. Shitting together? Oh hell fucking no no no!

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2017 6:38 PM

[quote] I remember as a kid my dad telling me when he was in the service, they had no stalls for toilets, just a bunch of toilets lined up on the wall. If you needed to go, you did it in front of everyone.

I've seen public restrooms with toilets like this, no joke. In some public parks in Los Angeles. Usually, these are places where cruising or bums shooting up has been a problem...

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2017 6:41 PM

[quote]In Europe, they have the common sense to have completely private stalls, floor to ceiling walls/doors. SO much better. It's odd that Americans are generally considered more prudish than Europeans but have no problem letting everyone know they're on the toilet.

Americas ARE more prudish: The stalls are not private to prevent unmarried fornication! Putting up wish the sound of splattering poop is worth it to so such unChristlike behavior.

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2017 7:08 PM

Poops are people, too!

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2017 7:33 PM

Don't shit wear you eat.

by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2017 7:44 PM

Oh honey. You need to watch the Ali Wong stand-up special Baby Cobra which is available to stream on Netflix. She goes into this big time!

by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2017 8:01 PM

The shame is rooted in the fact that everyone knows that nobody wants to listen to, smell, or hear another person taking a shit. Even when you yourself are taking a shit at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2017 8:02 PM

Next time you eat greasy spicy food, make a sound recording of every fart and squirt then play it in crowded elevators and buses and at church. Fun for the whole family!

by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2017 8:09 PM

Doody is stinky. Me no like!

by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2017 8:32 PM

Because unlike piss, shit smells. No matter what you eat--even the strictest vegan diet, results in smelly solid waste. Piss only smells when its unflushed for a while or is unwashed away for a time, like piss on the streets.

by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2017 8:41 PM

I work at home I could never work amongst people and have to go to public toilets. My b/f works in a building and has to go to the toilet where the rest of the male employees go and he has told me some interesting toilet stories. He hates it too but his work requires him to be at the building at his desk. He envies my situation even though I only make half as much as him. From what I gather from his stories is that str8 men don't have poop shame, they make all sorts of stink and noises and start conversations during a dump and will talk to you while you are still inside shitting even when they are done. He sometimes goes to a different floor to avoid the locals.

by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2017 9:03 PM

I wonder whether the most homophobic cultures are also the ones whose foods produce the biggest, greasiest, stinkiest shits and thus the most difficult to clean off to make anal sex pleasurable.

by Anonymousreply 33May 25, 2017 9:23 PM

R31 piss can smell strong with certain vitamins. Yuck!

by Anonymousreply 34May 25, 2017 9:31 PM

I rarely go at work. The people I work with are too annoying and some DO talk during the act. If I had a bad situation in the bowel region, I would go to the auditorium bathroom facilities which have about a dozen nicely appointed stalls (I think some investor meetings take place there) - always empty. Of course, once I was asked by security why I was over there. I know the cameras could easily just see I went to the bathroom, and so I said to the ass hole security prick - "I can't deal with diarrhea in my floor's bathroom with all my coworkers in and out of there. Any other questions?"

by Anonymousreply 35May 25, 2017 9:40 PM

I grew up with 7 siblings. We shared the bathtub for weekly baths. As children we boys often peed together - it was a social event. We would play swordfight with our pee streams, 2 or 3 of us peeing at a time. Our mother would scream at us and make us clean the piss off the floor and toilet afterwards. Then I joined the Navy and there was still no privacy. I don't have any toilet shame. Sometimes I converse with coworkers while I or they are on the can. The goal to not being shy is to stifle all your silly irrational feelings over toilet anxiety. It's normal and not worth the effort to worry. Fake it 'till you make it, as they say.

by Anonymousreply 36May 25, 2017 9:43 PM

R36 will not have his bathroom visits devalued!

by Anonymousreply 37May 25, 2017 9:45 PM

R36 sounds like he has horrible bathroom etiquette

by Anonymousreply 38May 25, 2017 9:46 PM

I work with a pretty diverse group of people, it seems that South Asians are the rarest public poopers. East Asians are the most meticulous doing courtesy flushes, wrapping the seat with paper (can hear this) and fastidious wiping. Black people are the also very shy poopers and don't like making eye contact after the deed, white Americans have the smelliest and loudest poops, and white Europeans are the most out of the closet and frank about public pooping.

by Anonymousreply 39May 25, 2017 9:55 PM

Maybe people are just afraid drag queens will come around and eat it.

by Anonymousreply 40May 25, 2017 10:00 PM

In Japan ladies' restrooms have a little button you push that plays a sound so people won't hear your tee tee tinkle or your poop go plop. It's called an oto hime, or "sound princess." In restrooms that don't have them girls flush continually while they do their business. I don't know about what goes on in the men's rooms. I assume it is disgusting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 25, 2017 10:00 PM

I've heard WW3 coming out of someone's ass - I just run out and go somewhere else. I have to work with these people, and when you hear HSSSSSSSSSSSS *BOOM* {PLOP} {PLOP} *BOOM* ~~Plblbblbllblb~~ *BOOM* SSSSSSSSSSSSSS *BOOM* [html removed] {plop} - I just can't look at them the same after that.

by Anonymousreply 42May 25, 2017 10:03 PM

Cause it smells, the sound is hilariously awkward (There's a reason why babies naturally laugh when they hear fart sounds) and it's a fucking disaster if the toilet gets clogged.

by Anonymousreply 43May 25, 2017 10:07 PM

Because it's shameful and gay men are better than that.

by Anonymousreply 44May 25, 2017 10:12 PM

I'm surprised that no one has shared the secret of avoiding the plop plop sound when poop hits the water in the toilet pan... Maybe I'm the only one in the know??? As nobody else has shared "the secret" ima keep it secret too....

by Anonymousreply 45May 25, 2017 10:16 PM

What I hate is when you enter the work restroom to take a piss, but the previous occupant left a toxic cloud of stench that still fills the room. I either turn right around, or else I piss as quickly as possible. Then, when I'm at the sink washing my hands, someone else comes in, gags, looks at me with a scowl, and then leaves. I want to do a Larry David and scream "It wasn't me!"

by Anonymousreply 46May 25, 2017 10:17 PM

[quote]I'm surprised that no one has shared the secret of avoiding the plop plop sound when poop hits the water in the toilet pan... Maybe I'm the only one in the know??? As nobody else has shared "the secret" ima keep it secret too....

Lilly pads.

by Anonymousreply 47May 25, 2017 10:20 PM

[quote]when you hear HSSSSSSSSSSSS *BOOM* {PLOP} {PLOP} *BOOM* ~~Plblbblbllblb~~ *BOOM* SSSSSSSSSSSSSS *BOOM* [html removed] {plop} - I just can't look at them the same after that.

So...you're single?

by Anonymousreply 48May 25, 2017 10:21 PM

Yes. I make people I am dating poo on another floor or in the gym.

by Anonymousreply 49May 25, 2017 10:26 PM

If there really were such a thing as intelligent design, we wouldn't need to piss or shit.

by Anonymousreply 50May 25, 2017 10:31 PM

I lived in a fraternity house with 40 other men and I didn't recall when any one of them used the toilet. Maybe you're enured to it after a while. Or maybe they were all embarrassed and then used a toilet somewhere on campus every day. It was common practice to shower together; the hot water couldn't keep up if we all showered individually. None of us were embarrassed by that.

by Anonymousreply 51May 25, 2017 10:39 PM

Wrong, r50. God cursed us with piss and shit when he kicked Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden.

by Anonymousreply 52May 25, 2017 10:41 PM

If you get your gallbladder removed, you're going to have no choice about where and when you go.

There's a product called "Poo-Pourri" - a spray that supposedly eliminates the odor. Very expensive but according to reviews, it does seem to work.

by Anonymousreply 53May 25, 2017 10:52 PM

Anti-poo smell

(though you shouldn't be pooping in public unless you have IBS-D)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 25, 2017 10:54 PM

I gave myself hemorrhoids in my 20s cuz I wouldn't poo at work. I'd have a massive breakfast since it was included in my hotel - which would make me need to go... but I'd hold it till 6:30. I didn't know that caused hemorrhoids till I found out the hard way. I don't hold it in for long periods anymore. As a elite bottom, I have full control over my digestive system and eating patterns. The only problem is jet lag... because that throws everything off.

by Anonymousreply 55May 25, 2017 10:56 PM

[quote]As a elite bottom

As a WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 56May 25, 2017 10:57 PM

After 500 dicks, you get a plaque and a good star saying "Elite Bottom" - like American Airlines status.

by Anonymousreply 57May 25, 2017 11:01 PM

There is no shame in pooping. Unless you are an android.

And then you must be destroyed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 25, 2017 11:11 PM

R53 Poo-Pourri does work to mask the smell (you spray it on the water in the bowl before you go, the oils in it envelop the turd when it drops), the only problem is then you equate that scent with shit. We used it in our home and then got sick of the smell.

Just light a match.

BTW if a bottle of shit freshener is "very expensive" to you, that's sad.

by Anonymousreply 59May 25, 2017 11:21 PM

This belongs in the Freaks That You Work With thread, but whatever...There's a toilet paper seat-coverer where I work who leaves the paper on the seat after he's finished. Everyday there's often toilet paper strewn about the men's room floor because this asshole can't be bothered to have the courtesy to flush it. Recently, a coworker mentioned how annoying it was and said one day he was going to do a stake out in order to confront the jerk. I hope it gets ugly.

by Anonymousreply 60May 25, 2017 11:24 PM

Only poor people and the unloved poop.

by Anonymousreply 61May 25, 2017 11:24 PM

I am a girl but when I was in a dorm one guy would put toilet paper squares down on the floor of the stall and then squat in front of the toilet and poop. I heard about it from a friend who saw the poop coming out, in the mirror, as he was shaving. The friend was shaving-- no idea about the pooper.

When the man finished and flushed the poop he came out and made eye contact with my friend. The pooper was Russel Crowe.

by Anonymousreply 62May 26, 2017 12:10 AM

Just'a Drop!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 26, 2017 12:19 AM

I heard my bf pooping once so I broke up with him.

by Anonymousreply 64May 26, 2017 12:26 AM

i'm in my 40's and i've only pooped in public maybe 4 times since I've been out of diapers. it was explosive

by Anonymousreply 65May 26, 2017 12:30 AM

r65 thanks, now i'm hard.

by Anonymousreply 66May 26, 2017 12:31 AM

R50 is unaware of the role body wastes play in the environment. "Intelligent design" is absurd, but our biosphere is real and it loves poop.

In nature excrement is an important component in the life cycle of many animals. In this process it offers invaluable support for plant life. Digestion and the methane it produces affects the atmosphere.

Under the creepiness of the OP's personal issues (typical as it is) lies the golden little fact that our bodies are part of nature and what our bodies do is nothing to be ashamed of. Human society, for purposes related to hygiene and the complexities of individual privacy, simply requires discretion that follows the culture in which one resides.

by Anonymousreply 67May 26, 2017 12:33 AM

If you place a small amount of TP flat on top of the water, there will be no turd splash.

by Anonymousreply 68May 26, 2017 12:54 AM

OP you could take a very small amount of immodium ad or other anti-diarrhea medication to make you ever-so-slightly-constipated, so you won't have to poo as often.

by Anonymousreply 69May 26, 2017 1:03 AM

I love a good bm

by Anonymousreply 70May 26, 2017 1:04 AM

I'm proud of my POO(p)!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 26, 2017 1:16 AM

Shitting is an abomination.

by Anonymousreply 72May 26, 2017 1:21 AM

r71, what's the story regarding that pic?

by Anonymousreply 73May 26, 2017 1:28 AM

If people never shit, we'd never have gotten the "shitty little Ann!" meme.

by Anonymousreply 74May 26, 2017 2:00 AM

I find using a cork during the week and then removing the bung from my hole and having a large bowel movement once per week not only saves the embarrassment and discomfort of defecating in public, but saves many minutes per week in time that I would have wasted releasing waste.

by Anonymousreply 75May 26, 2017 2:30 AM

I find it the most embarrassing thing ever. Will not come out of a stall until it's clear. Sometimes that means waiting much longer than I should.

by Anonymousreply 76May 26, 2017 3:20 AM

I read that the Kennedy girls would all laugh when Jackie was in the can because she would always run the sink to cover up any noise she made. Apparently in the Kennedy clan there was little pooping shame.

by Anonymousreply 77May 26, 2017 2:37 PM

[quote]If people never shit, we'd never have gotten the "shitty little Ann!" meme.

Which would be a good thing. Least funny thing to ever take off on this website.

by Anonymousreply 78May 26, 2017 6:20 PM

[quote]Least funny thing to ever take off on this website.

Third at best, after "vicious slapping" and "earrings, caftans."

by Anonymousreply 79May 26, 2017 6:36 PM

SizzlMean is at it again 💩

by Anonymousreply 80May 26, 2017 6:40 PM

Where, R80?

by Anonymousreply 81May 26, 2017 6:42 PM

There's No Place Like Home . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Anonymousreply 82May 26, 2017 6:45 PM

I rarely poop.

I rarely eat.

by Anonymousreply 83May 26, 2017 6:47 PM

You can't always control the outcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 26, 2017 7:26 PM

I just hold it in until I go to the Bellagio.

by Anonymousreply 85May 26, 2017 11:01 PM

I prefer the Wynn. Floor to ceiling privacy in each stall! And I stole the little toiletries on my way out.

by Anonymousreply 86May 26, 2017 11:15 PM

There's nothing wrong with a little pooh every now and then. It keeps one regular.

by Anonymousreply 87May 26, 2017 11:17 PM

"Only poor people and the unloved poop." I saw Unloved Poop last weekend. They opened for the Shitty Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 88May 27, 2017 6:32 AM

Foul smelling diarrhea is particularly shameful, although out of all the bathroom activities this one might at least garner some sympathy. If you destroyed the bathroom somewhere other than home, you can make a sad face while holding your belly and complain about your symptoms. Sometimes people will offer you advice like keeping hydrated, resting, etc. The rank odor you left behind will be forgotten, as they cluck over you like a mother hen tending to an ill chick.

by Anonymousreply 89May 27, 2017 1:58 PM

If you haave a good diet and take a probiotic, your poops won't smell that bad

by Anonymousreply 90May 30, 2017 9:34 PM

I had to get a poo sample this morning for one of those stool test kits, I'm still traumatized. I have to get two more before I send it in, I will have nightmares after this. It's a very tedious thing to do plus gross. I thought my dump had blood in it so I was going to flush it and threw it in the toilet, then it occurred to me it could be something else so I fished it out and it was red pepper. Messy at this point and I thought I ruined the sample because it got wet but I wanted to complete the damn kit (I had it for 6 months) so patted the poo with a tissue to absorb the water and went ahead and smeared it on the card. I know it will likely give a false positive but I don't care at this point.

by Anonymousreply 91May 30, 2017 10:27 PM

You people sound like savages.

by Anonymousreply 92May 31, 2017 1:36 AM

R91 Here, things went better today, my poo was like a little cats poo because I'm not eating much. I hope I can produce the final one tomorrow, I will keep you informed.

by Anonymousreply 93May 31, 2017 11:07 PM

Why, thank you, R93. We can't wait for the next installment.

by Anonymousreply 94June 1, 2017 1:16 AM

So, what happened, any updates?

by Anonymousreply 95June 7, 2017 12:58 PM

Lately I've been pooping 5 times a day, all at the office! I'm not fat and don't eat a lot, so what the hell is going on?!!

by Anonymousreply 96June 9, 2017 9:09 PM

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, R96. You have cancer.

by Anonymousreply 97June 9, 2017 9:14 PM

Are you pooping rabbit pellets? That's the best!

by Anonymousreply 98June 12, 2017 8:54 PM

Cute

by Anonymousreply 99February 23, 2021 2:55 AM

Hawt

by Anonymousreply 100April 6, 2021 10:49 PM

Yum

by Anonymousreply 101April 13, 2021 8:23 PM

Boom

by Anonymousreply 102May 14, 2021 5:18 AM

Oprah says she is anxious about pooping in public.

by Anonymousreply 103November 12, 2022 12:48 AM

[quote]...Europeans are the most out of the closet and frank about public pooping.

Definitely so compared to the sampling presented in this thread.

Preferring to shit at home rather than in a public toilet? Easy enough to understand, but some of you are quite ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 104November 12, 2022 1:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!