Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Things You Do To Save Money

What are some things you do to stretch a buck when funds are tight?

by Anonymousreply 254March 15, 2018 11:38 PM

Eat breakfast and drink coffee at home, take my lunch to work, shop thrift stores and clearance racks for clothing. I'm now in my late 40's, and my partner and I want to spend our money traveling a couple of times a year. We don't throw money away on Starbucks and frequent dinners out. We prepare meals at home.

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2017 3:45 AM

Reuse toilet paper. Or, just don't use it at all.

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2017 3:46 AM

I cancel all recurring payments for things I don't need: Audible monthly audiobook at a the reduced rate, etc. - except I don't cut donations to my beloved animal groups.

I eat out far less, and I use Lyft Line instead of normal Lyft (I just leave the house a bit earlier to leave time for possible pickups along my route).

I also don't buy things I don't need (e.g., magazines, random things on Amazon).

I use my drying rack instead of paying to use the dryer.

I don't eat out as much and I don't drink Diet Coke as much.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2017 3:46 AM

yes, i only buy things when they are on sale. stock up on essentials when they go on sale.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2017 3:47 AM

I reuse Saran Wrap. There's so much of it everywhere - from wrapped fruit, wrapped chicken or beef packaging, deli sections of supermarkets, sandwiches. I just rinse them out and put them in my drawers.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2017 3:53 AM

I'm cancelling all the online subscriptions I don't use often.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2017 3:53 AM

I buy Target, Whole Foods, CVS, Costco store-brand items when possible.

I only buy things when I run out of them; I don't stock-up.

I don't have cable - just cable/monopoly internet, and I use my sibling's Netflix, HBO, etc.

I don't have a car. I just use Lyft (line) and the bus - and I walk a lot.

When I need clothes, I'll look at thrift stores, but I really rarely buy clothes now (less than once a year). I just don't need new things at all. Underwear and socks from Amazon, literally just once a year.

No bottled water - I use a Mavea pitcher filter.

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2017 3:54 AM

I put 10% of each paycheck into savings and then pretend like I never had the money. It's shocking how quickly it will add up.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2017 3:58 AM

[quote]What are some things you do to stretch a buck when funds are tight?

I make smart spending choices to avoid the problem in the first place.

I know - well smell me, right?

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2017 4:01 AM

Practically all my furniture came from Gumtree - you would be so surprised what people want to get rid of when they move or downsize. The one lesson I have learned is to buy new refrigerators. Second hand ones never seem to last and getting rid of a them is huge pain.

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2017 4:02 AM

I buy in bulk for non perishables, mostly at Costco. No meals out, not even coffee. I have a work wardrobe so I don't need new clothes. I cut all subscriptions.

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2017 4:03 AM

I do the same thing as R2. Just buy one of these squirt bottles on Amazon for $3 and you never have to buy toilet paper again. Spend $3 to save $3000.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2017 4:05 AM

Thanks to years of washing and reusing Ziploc bags, I am rolling in dough!

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2017 4:06 AM

Reuse ziplock bags.

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2017 4:06 AM

I don't buy avocado toast.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2017 4:07 AM

Same as R8 - I treat my savings as a bill and have have 30% of each paycheck directly deposited in a savings account. The only time money is drawn from that account is to make an investment.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2017 4:12 AM

I'm stiff my rent boys.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2017 4:22 AM

I'm = I

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2017 4:23 AM

Buy everything I can at local thrift shops. Will only buy new if I can't find what I need at thrift shops. It adds up. I changed my sweater/knit collection to all merino wool this winter and I did it by buying thrift shop items at $3 each. New merino wool clothes from stores like J Crew probably go for $50-100. I do live in a fairly wealthy town just outside of a major city (I rent in the hoi polloi section) and the thrift shops always has some quality items for very little money. So I'm lucky in that sense. Perhaps tougher to find good quality stuff at a Goodwill in other parts of town.

Line dry clothes instead of using the dryer. Cook and not spend money on fast/convenient food. I prefer to occasionally splurge on proper restaurant food. Make foamy soap at a few cents a bottle rather than buying a new bottle every 2-3 weeks for $2.99 or more. Foam soap is basically a few drops of soap with water. Don't have cable, only internet. Used to pay for online soccer service but stopped it as I wanted to be out doing things rather than watching games every weekend morning. No other entertainment services either. Use the library for everything--I only need to read a book once. After I'm done, I don't have to have it in my home. That's especially true now since I read on an e-reader.

Don't own a car--walk, bike and use public transportation. I'm loathe to use taxis and car sharing services though I will if needed. I'm frugal or thoughtful of financial expenditure but not cheap (okay, not super-cheap). For example frugality doesn't extend to my cats--who get premium everything. Partly due to their sensitive GI issues and also I'd rather pay for preventative healthy measures rather than for expensive vet care and procedures due to crappy diet.

A lot of what I do is for environmental reasons along with financial. Hence, re-using one soap bottle over and over again for home-made foam soap. Use cloth napkins, handkerchiefs, wash clothes in place of paper towels and tissue paper. Use frozen food bags (and other packaged item bags) for litter waste.

The biggest saver is probably living in the same apartment when I was making 62K a year even though I now earn 100K. Max out 401K--never see it, can't spend it. Also max out Roth 401K.

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2017 4:39 AM

I have pet insurance for my cats. It's a lifesaver. Healthy Paws insurance.

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2017 4:52 AM

[quote] R8: I put 10% of each paycheck into savings and then pretend like I never had the money. It's shocking how quickly it will add up.

Good for you, R8! And you're right! This is what I did. I retired at 50. Best of luck to you!

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2017 5:08 AM

I was with dish soap. Hair too.

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2017 5:09 AM

R20) I have pet insurance too, but it's not as good as it used to be. It's called Nationwide now, because that's the company that bought it out. I hate that they take off $50 bucks from your return.

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2017 5:13 AM

99 cent store and dumped cable.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2017 5:52 AM

I invest my money. I started out with a little $20/month, because I figured it was what I could afford to lose. Over time, it grew in value. That's the best I can do other than not touching the money.

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2017 6:20 AM

Another big saving I do is do my own hair, and now, I only get my hair done for special occasions.

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2017 6:28 AM

Cook at home! All three meals! You can bake a yellow cake for almost nothing if you keep typical pantry items, and a slice of cake at a shop is 5-6 bucks a slice! You'll become a better cook very quickly. I type in the search bar whatever the main ingredient of the meal is like "chicken" and "easy recipe". Lots to choose from.

STOP taking cabs, and Ubers, and WALK. Meet friends for coffee or dessert and not dinner if you'd like to go out. No bar crawls! (I don't drink anyway). Call your cable company and threaten (nicely!) to cut the cord without a better deal for ONE YEAR! Stop charging shit, and pay off credit accounts!

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2017 7:52 AM

It's amazing how much you save from just cooking most of your meals. I will not lie - I did this not to save $, but instead to eat healthier and look better. I also walk to the market/grocery store any chance that I get - not to save in gas money but again for the exercise benefits. These days, I love to cook and have become damn good at it. Many things are just as good frozen as fresh and I find that I always seem to make multiples of everything - so that saves time when you want dinner and have no energy to making anything after work. I grow my own herbs for half the year and that does save a fortune. I rarely purchase second hand clothes but I do hit the sale rack at TJ Maxx and Marshalls often. Also, a buy a lot online at Barneys Warehouse. Free shipping always and wonderful everything from clothes to home and more.

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2017 8:10 AM

I walk everywhere or take public transport. Never taxis.

I don't own a car, mobile phone or cable/satellite TV subscription.

I buy on whatever food is on sale and plan my menu around it. I also make a huge pot of vegetable broth from whatever vegetables are cheap, then freeze it in 1.5 cup portions for use when making everything from soup base to rice to chilli. Rarely eat out.

I use Dr. Bronner's soap for hair, shower gel and delicate washing.

Another dedicated saver, always put at least 10% of my pay into savings.

by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2017 8:14 AM

I buy a big ass jug of dish washer detergent and pour it into a smaller bottle, yes I dilute it. Couple times a week I refrain from eating anything and then I stuff my face at an Indian buffet around 3pm, I am good until the next day. Chicken tikka masala yummy!

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2017 9:12 AM

2PM is the best time to go to a budget. You get the lunch price and can stay for dinner at 5 when they put out the prime rib and lobster.

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2017 9:20 AM

R29 How do you live without a phone? That's a necessity of life. I'm frugal, but I'm not going to live like I'm in a third world country.

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2017 2:43 PM

R23, check out Healthy Paws. It's awesome. Somewhat newer than the others. I have a $500 annual deductible, after which they cover 70-90% of my cats' expenses, excluding exam fees. I have two cats, and they cover 70% for my older girl. I've saved thousands. It's about $30/month. The one thing is that when you first file a claim, you have to call all of your pet's previous and current vets, and have them fax or email all all the medical records they have for your dog or cat. So that takes about 15 minutes to do (to call them all).

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2017 3:27 PM

[quote] I just rinse them out and put them in my drawers.

Doesn't that make your nether regions get all sweaty?

by Anonymousreply 34May 23, 2017 3:33 PM

[quote]How do you live without a phone?

I have a landline R32. I don't own a mobile/cell phone.

by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2017 3:34 PM

Oh I know ALL about cutting back!! Let me tell you.

On my brand new Mercedes E Class, I didn't even select the Illuminated Star option!!

I just don't drive at night for fear of the neighbors seeing me without an illuminated grill ornament.

Cutting back is a bitch!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 23, 2017 3:36 PM

Sometimes I'll take a limo to go out to dinner instead of the Gulfstream.

by Anonymousreply 37May 23, 2017 3:39 PM

I buy most everything second hand. I don't eat meat. My husband pays half the mortgage.

by Anonymousreply 38May 23, 2017 3:42 PM

I've spent my whole life saving, it's just second nature, I don't know why. I do weird stuff like buying tools at markets second hand (always look for the pre 1950's stuff it's the best quality) or taking up vaping and mixing my own fluids. It's like there's an abacus constantly clicking away in my head. Sometimes I wish it would bloody stop and allow me to buy something on impulse just because I like it.

by Anonymousreply 39May 23, 2017 4:03 PM

R39 I have that problem, too. And now I find myself with half a million in cash, and three times that much in property and investments. And a six-figure pension. And I STILL can't stop being frugal. (And I'm 65 with no heirs.)

by Anonymousreply 40May 23, 2017 4:40 PM

Since I stopped going to clubs that is a big savings. I don't eat out a lot, only if it's a family member's birthday and I have to split the bill. I buy things on sale and I will do without if it's regular price and I can wait for a sale. My only real indulgence is clothes but I limit myself to things that I will actually wear and I want for a sale (I found that buying used clothing was a waste of money because I rarely wore it). I sell things I no longer need online if I can. I regift. If my cable bill gets too high I call to change it, they usually manage to get the price down for me without any loss of service. I bought a Nest thermostat, I live in Canada and the winters are cold so this allows me to keep the heat down overnight and come on before I get up ( I usually leave the heat up in the bedroom though). My car is paid for and I'm in no hurry to get another one until this one dies. I turn off lights when I leave a room etcetc. I would probably do all of this even if I was rich.

by Anonymousreply 41May 23, 2017 5:00 PM

It's hard to stop splurging, once you start, R39 & R40. I think, "what the heck, why not", or "this is what I worked and saved and invested so hard so long for". But if the treats are big ones, like an expensive car or Euro trip; and you're only middle-class rich, and not rich-rich, it can drain away pretty quickly.

Cable TV is my big treat, over $300 a month, but I use it. I say "treat", because it's not a necessity, and it's recurring, not so much because it is a lot of money, in the grand scheme of things.

by Anonymousreply 42May 23, 2017 5:02 PM

"Borrow" toilet paper

by Anonymousreply 43May 23, 2017 5:12 PM

$300 for cable? Do you have every single channel available? That's crazy. How much TV do you watch? You're paying $3,600 annually. I would have a serious re-think.

by Anonymousreply 44May 23, 2017 5:27 PM

I cut my charitable giving to the bone.

I make my maid work for whatever she can find in the couch, and then I go through the couch before she comes.

I take the parking tickets off my car and put them on others. Most people pay them. (Sheep!)

I entice airline workers to rough-up my partner while I film it. Then negotiate. Very lucrative.

Two words: cable pirate!

Never dine out without becoming indignant, and loud. That's a classic. Also, spill a lot of wine. When they say, "just get out!", just go!

by Anonymousreply 45May 23, 2017 5:27 PM

Ditched my car and ride my pony to work.

by Anonymousreply 46May 23, 2017 5:29 PM

R44, I know, that's why cable is a treat for me!

I really do watch TV a lot. I don't work. I have almost everything, except the sports channels, natch! I cancelled "Here!" TV, the (discrete) Gay channel, since they rotate only about 3-month's worth of content. I think the name "Here" must harken back to the days when people didn't want the out-and-loud Proud Channel, lol. Then I cancelled Movieplex because it was just old stuff I'd never stop to watch or rewatch anyway. And cancelled Hulu, also something I'd never watch. But I kept all the premier cable channels and also Netflix.

I have a Sony 3-D TV, though I watch 3-D movies only about once a year.

As part of that $300, are rental movies. Also my internet, and two home phones. I'm cancelling one phone today. The other is part of a package deal, so I'll keep it, I think. I like having a home number I can give to companies that I never really want to hear from.

by Anonymousreply 47May 23, 2017 5:38 PM

R46, aren't ponies expensive? Especially the foreign ones. What's the upkeep like? Do you have Healthy Paws pet insurance? Do they pay-out, or is it just a ripoff?

by Anonymousreply 48May 23, 2017 5:42 PM

[quite] R45: I entice airline workers to rough-up my partner while I film it. Then negotiate. Very lucrative

I might have added, my partner has no idea why this keeps happening to him. It looks more authentic this way. Someday I'll tell him and we'll have a good laugh, lol.

by Anonymousreply 49May 23, 2017 5:45 PM

Always google free shipping codes.

by Anonymousreply 50May 23, 2017 6:08 PM

Lots of good advice here. Brown bagging lunch and cancelling subscriptions you don't really need are two I endorse.

Set the temperature on your water heater lower. You won't believe how much you are spending to keep your hot water heater "hot" all day. How often do you turn your water on to fully hot, anyway? If its too hot at that setting to shower or wash your hands, you can afford to turn it down. If you need hot water for cooking you are just going to boil it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 51May 23, 2017 6:11 PM

I ditched my cell phone for a party land line. My partner bakes a real long loaf of bread and the neighbor takes a lot of cream and makes a little butter, which we share. I wear old clothes, but I staged a new show at my club were the old clothes fit just fine, amigo.

by Anonymousreply 52May 23, 2017 6:12 PM

Unfortunately I spend a coup,e of grand more than I bring in every month. It's all basic necessities as mortgage and meals (I limit myself to $10/meal and no more than $30/day). I just survive making min pay ents on my CC (over a grand a month)

by Anonymousreply 53May 23, 2017 6:18 PM

On clothes, I never buy anything that's not on sale. Ever. I never buy new cars, only used cars. (But they are only 1-2 years old with less than 15,000 miles on them.) Every three or four months, I look at my monthly expenditures for everything including gasoline food entertainment, and cut it by 10% where I can

I review my auto insurance and my home owners insurance annually because the rates sometimes go up for inexplicable reasons. I always pay my bills on time or early. Paying late fees is like giving money away. I limit my use of credit. I have three credit cards. American Express & two Visas. I only use one and try to keep the balance under $1,500.

I rarely eat out. Absolutely eat breakfast home, bring your lunch and definitely eat dinner at home. But if you do go out to eat, try doing week end brunch or breakfast. Or go out for a late lunch. It's cheaper. Plan outings that don't cost money. It's summer. There's always free music, or parks, and art fairs, Farmer's Markets, etc.

But no matter the season, always look for free stuff to do. Check out local universities, the public library, and if you do pay go to an art museum or some other non profit. Support the arts. You can rent movies on redbox for a dollar. You can rent them for free at the library so when you're lazy and you want to "order" a movie from some streaming service, that charges $4 or $5 to rent it remember that.

Do a monthly budget. Figure out what it costs you to live from one month to the next. Then cut it by 10% and start reducing expenditures. Keep a journal and be honest. It will shock you to discover as I did, how quickly you can spend money on nothing in particular. It all adds up.

by Anonymousreply 54May 23, 2017 6:20 PM

I get the 200 dollar hos not the 300 dollar hos.

by Anonymousreply 55May 23, 2017 6:27 PM

Some of you sound so desperately poor, you should be spending DL time looking for a better job.

by Anonymousreply 56May 23, 2017 6:27 PM

Snake and jeans are a great look!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 23, 2017 6:32 PM

For god's sake ignore the train wreck at R53.

by Anonymousreply 58May 23, 2017 6:34 PM

Even if money were not an object, I wouldn't drink most coffee I didn't make myself.

by Anonymousreply 59May 23, 2017 6:38 PM

Morning coffee is the worst expense, my bf can't go a day without his fucking large ICED coffee cream and sugar with a swirl of caramel even when it's 2 degrees outside, oh and he just has to buy an old timey news paper. I make my own dang coffee and watch the news on tv. He's a sweetheart, though.

by Anonymousreply 60May 23, 2017 8:09 PM

Is a swirl as annoying as a splash?

by Anonymousreply 61May 23, 2017 8:14 PM

A dollop is far superior to either a swirl or a splash.

by Anonymousreply 62May 23, 2017 8:32 PM

The dollar stores are a must.

How do they keep the prices so low, I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 63May 23, 2017 8:37 PM

R63, when the little kids do not work fast enough in the sweat shops, they get a lashing.

by Anonymousreply 64May 23, 2017 8:39 PM

R63 They sell expired food products of dubious origin, and random cheaply manufactured shyt from China where dubious substances are used during the manufacturing process. Hence, instances of lead poisoning, cadmium and other heavy metal exposure in innocent children, pet food that causes death and disease, and the list goes on.

by Anonymousreply 65May 23, 2017 8:40 PM

People who spend $8 a day on some Starbucks swill for their morning caffeine are fucking idiots. I'm all for special treats, but making it a daily habit is absurd. It's like going out for breakfast every morning.

by Anonymousreply 66May 23, 2017 8:58 PM

R66, agreed. My brother is under water and lives with my mother but still gets his fucking Starbucks coffee every day. No wonder he's a financial disaster. He's at least wised up and makes sandwiches for lunch now. Eats the same sandwich everyday which would kill me with monotony but at least he's not buying lunch every day.

by Anonymousreply 67May 23, 2017 9:03 PM

I'll drive my car until the wheels fall off and then maybe I'll repair it and keep going. It consumes little gas and rarely needs repairs. I have a great shade-tree mechanic.

I make food in quantity and freeze it so I always have a nice selection on hand. Before I retired from a typical job (now I work from home), I bought a big upright freezer. That was one of the smartest investments I've made. I do all of my own baking and freeze different kinds of bread, buns, pizza dough, pie crusts, all of that. I always have a good selection of homemade desserts, like poundcake and fruit. There's a Starbucks a block away and I've only been there once when a friend insisted.

I have a small outdoor garden and I am constantly finding new ways to grow more efficiently. I have an indoor growing system so I have good things like fresh lettuce and herbs year-round.

I don't own a cellphone. Never got hooked on them and have no desire to be constantly available. My landline is net-based, $30/year. I have wi-fi ($35/mo) and use it to stream Netflix ($10/mo), Amazon ($8/mo) and Acorn $6/mo). Most of my electronics and some appliances are reconditioned. I've only bought one thing that didn't work and returned it for a full refund. My PC is too, but I put in a better fan and SSD and got a good monitor on sale.

Like a previous poster said, I feed my cats the best food. It saves in the long run on vet bills and their poop isn't stinky like with cheap food.

I use as few disposables as possible. All dinner napkins, cleaning cloths, kitchen towels etc. are fabric so they're washable and re-usable. I make my own dishwasher detergent and buy a great detergent for clothes that is very inexpensive and works great.

I save money because I don't care about having the biggest or the best, or impressing anyone with what I own. I avoid those people.

by Anonymousreply 68May 23, 2017 9:15 PM

I cut cable.

by Anonymousreply 69May 23, 2017 9:40 PM

Keep to a strict weekly budget. Shop at the dollar store. It's amazing what you can find at dollar stores that costs two to three times more elsewhere. Walk rather than take the subway.

by Anonymousreply 70May 23, 2017 9:42 PM

Never go to the grocery store hungry. Fill your gas tank when it's at the halfway mark

by Anonymousreply 71May 23, 2017 9:46 PM

I make my own water.

I poop in the doggie bags that my condo complex provides and simply toss them away.

I shake myself dry like a dog so I never need towels

You'd be surprised how many half full bottles of soda you can find outside

I have a Ronco glass cutter so I make my own stemware from bottles I steal from recycling

by Anonymousreply 72May 23, 2017 9:47 PM

R52 Sounds good, but I'd also consider cutting up your Phipps-a-Plate.

by Anonymousreply 73May 23, 2017 10:12 PM

R72, don't cut yourself, especially your artery in your wrist

by Anonymousreply 74May 23, 2017 11:26 PM

Be careful, r51

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 24, 2017 12:04 AM

[quote]check out Healthy Paws. It's awesome. Somewhat newer than the others. I have a $500 annual deductible, after which they cover 70-90% of my cats' expenses, excluding exam fees. I have two cats, and they cover 70% for my older girl. I've saved thousands. It's about $30/month. The one thing is that when you first file a claim, you have to call all of your pet's previous and current vets, and have them fax or email all all the medical records they have for your dog or cat. So that takes about 15 minutes to do (to call them all).

There was one that I saw was "better" and it offered $10K for the life of the pet. You can use it on any expense, but once it was used up, you will have to buy another policy. If the pet is older, you would be stuck w/a higher premium.

by Anonymousreply 76May 24, 2017 4:20 AM

I design and sew my own clothing modding old butterick parterns.

Did you know that a pants and shirt outfit is nothing more than a maxi dress with two seams sewn up to the crotch?

Sure, people refer to me as "Mrs. Partridge", "Maude", and "that pre pre pre-op tranny over there", but I'm saving money and saving lives in a memory care ward!

by Anonymousreply 77May 24, 2017 7:01 AM

I buy all I can even when I have money at the 99 cent only store. Not just any dollar store but the 99 cent only store. Then I go across the street to Big Lots. They're usually more than Walmart, but going to Walmart is like a field exercise and I like to get in and out. I buy toilet paper, paper towels, and doggie waste bags there. Between those two I can get most basic necessities. I could probably get most food items there too, but I don't plan ahead on meals. If you must have name brands these two also have a lot, unlike Dollar Tree which is all generic.

by Anonymousreply 78May 24, 2017 7:23 AM

Dollar stores are fine for many items - but actual food is rarely one of them. They actually do sell name brand junk food often - just a smaller size which is deceptive for the price (chips are cheaper because they are in smaller bags/containers. I usually go to the 99 cent stores when I am looking for cards, wrapping paper, gift bags and tissue paper. Looks great and who cares that you only spent cents on the dollar. Tons of cleaning supplies and even some fresh produce if you are lucky (depending on your state and area). Many spices are super cheap and good there - cinnamon sticks and dried chilies for instance. I do not purchase meat, bread, pasta, eggs or dairy there however. To each his own.

by Anonymousreply 79May 24, 2017 7:32 AM

I fill gas Sunday evening because it's cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 80May 24, 2017 8:00 AM

I am squatting in the municipal museum of natural history and scrounging my meals from the cafeteria after-hours.

by Anonymousreply 81May 24, 2017 9:45 AM

Cooking at home mostly, Aldi, walking or cycling to go shopping, 2n hand stores for furniture or clothing

by Anonymousreply 82May 24, 2017 10:08 AM

I wash my used paper towels until they disintegrate

by Anonymousreply 83May 24, 2017 10:19 AM

Use solar to recharge all my electronics

Line dry 95% of my laundry year 'round

Primary household lights are now LED

Low-flow Whedon shower heads. (Water is cheap here, sewer is not!)

Dual-fuel HVAC; both heat and cool go OFF @ night.

Bedroom AC for summer sleeping

Bought a new refrigerator that uses ½ the electricity the old used

Drive a very old car

Grow some of my own vegetables

---

On my list for this year: buy two dual-flush toilets

by Anonymousreply 84May 24, 2017 12:06 PM

I stopped bathing in bottled spring water. I also started shooting my own pheasants, which meant the gamekeeper could scale back to part time hours

by Anonymousreply 85May 24, 2017 12:22 PM

We use old rags instead of paper towels for cleanups, cotton kitchen towels for everything else. Reuse old plastic bags to line bins, use collected rainwater to water the garden where we grow some lettuce, carrots, onions etc. That's more about being environmentally friendly than anything else though but it does save money too.

I take $250 out every month and that's the grocery budget. If we need to go over that then OK but it feels like you know where the money's going if you have actual cash. I discovered we were throwing away as much as we ate so now I buy just what we need every two days or so from local stores that I walk to. I'm really enjoying it, we eat a little t more vegetables, I get a bit of exercise, I talk with the neighbors, I get fresh produce that tastes great and we don't throw much away now.

by Anonymousreply 86May 24, 2017 12:30 PM

Jerk off instead of going out and finding a date.

by Anonymousreply 87May 24, 2017 12:39 PM

Send my creme brulee back after eating most of it, claiming it was not that good and demanding another one. And I want the creme brulee NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get more creme brulee that way.

by Anonymousreply 88May 24, 2017 12:41 PM

Some great ideas, especially R68.

by Anonymousreply 89May 24, 2017 12:41 PM

Do not buy anything you put in your body from a Dollar Store or a 99 Cents store. No. Do not buy processed foods. They are filled with hazardous chemicals and sodium. No. It's not hard to be frugal about food. Buy fresh fruits & veggies. It's summer, so Farmer's markets abound. I can see buying random stuff like cards, gift wrap, paper towels toilet paper, non perishables. But another thing: Never buy canned goods. Don't buy cleaning products from those stores either. They're dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 90May 24, 2017 12:43 PM

I resisted having a cellphone until 2015. I could go back to landline-only, but I would miss the app that tells me when the next bus is coming.

by Anonymousreply 91May 24, 2017 12:47 PM

I only use the Dollar Store for consumables like batteries.

If I expect something to last, I buy quality to begin with.

After years of slowing moving towards it, I am now almost completely vegetarian. Not buying meat and cooking my own meals has lowered my food budget considerably.

I cut the cable cord and now pay half as much for well over twice the content.

But then I buy theatre tickets two or three times a month. I don't usually pay full price for them, but it is still an expensive habit no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 92May 24, 2017 1:07 PM

[quote]taking up vaping and mixing my own fluids

R39 strokes his goatee with one hand and types with the other.

by Anonymousreply 93May 24, 2017 1:19 PM

There are ways. Most people think they can solve a lot of their financial woes but cutting back on food. If you eat out a lot, maybe that will help. But there other stuff in your life needs to be looked at too. Credit card debt, interest rates on home loans, insurance of all kinds, entertainment, utilities, etc.

by Anonymousreply 94May 24, 2017 1:44 PM

Snobs disparaging dollar stores with no proof.

by Anonymousreply 95May 24, 2017 1:56 PM

"I save money because I don't care about having the biggest or the best, or impressing anyone with what I own. I avoid those people."

Well, SMELL her!

Gee, you sound like a LOT of fun to be around.

by Anonymousreply 96May 24, 2017 3:27 PM

LED bulbs paid for themselves.

I run the dishwasher after 8 PM since it's off-peak time (S. California) and electricity's cheaper

by Anonymousreply 97May 24, 2017 3:48 PM

I buy Sevruga instead of Beluga.

by Anonymousreply 98May 24, 2017 3:59 PM

Why I stopped reading "the gay press". Fucking hate speech. The author of the interview (not the trans interviewee) adds this teeny tiny editorial note: "This may seem like a controversial statement, but it is something that Juno has experienced since she came out as trans."

Fucking hate speech is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 99May 24, 2017 4:17 PM

I go into stores and when no one is looking I take things. I have saved tens of thousands of dollars over the years

by Anonymousreply 100May 24, 2017 4:19 PM

? R99?

by Anonymousreply 101May 24, 2017 4:21 PM

R99 got off the crazy train at the wrong stop.

by Anonymousreply 102May 24, 2017 4:23 PM

R96, grab some MIDOL and calm down, Honey.

by Anonymousreply 103May 24, 2017 4:27 PM

oops wrong thread r99

by Anonymousreply 104May 24, 2017 4:32 PM

Well, I don't get my hole bleached.

by Anonymousreply 105May 24, 2017 4:39 PM

Instead of getting an expensive trick online at $250 an hour, I just find some homeless guy who will gladly blow me for $5. Plus I am helping the homeless.

by Anonymousreply 106May 24, 2017 4:50 PM

Speaking of paying yourself first, one thing I did was sign up for my electric utility's direct investment program. Every month they added about $50 to my bill and the money went to buy shares of their stock. Between appreciation in the stock price, reinvestment of the dividends, and my monthly investment, after about 20 years I had almost $50,000 in utility stock.

by Anonymousreply 107May 24, 2017 4:59 PM

I reuse Q-tips.

by Anonymousreply 108May 24, 2017 5:02 PM

I am buying electric utility stock now in anticipation of electric cars taking off by the time I retire -- the old "buy low, sell high" maxim.

Ol' Warren B. bought himself an entire utility to cash in on this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 24, 2017 5:06 PM

When my water heater conked out, I bought at point of use tankless heater to replace it. It heats water as you use it rather than keeping a tank of water hot.

by Anonymousreply 110May 24, 2017 5:27 PM

at = a

by Anonymousreply 111May 24, 2017 5:27 PM

I didn't have children. I don't get gays who want children (which I always thought of as a bullet we gays missed).

by Anonymousreply 112May 24, 2017 5:30 PM

I ran the numbers, and I don't use enough daily hot water to make one pay, r110. I have a natural gas tank model, 30-gallon.

Good for you though!

by Anonymousreply 113May 24, 2017 5:30 PM

R113, I wouldn't have done it if my water heater hadn't died.

by Anonymousreply 114May 24, 2017 5:38 PM

When pageant fees, costume budgets and dance school tuition start spiralling out of control, well...let's just say one does what one has to.

by Anonymousreply 115May 24, 2017 5:44 PM

R115 - Couldn't you have just replaced your water heater with one of like kind for a cheaper cost?

by Anonymousreply 116May 24, 2017 5:45 PM

That's true, R116. However, I don't use a lot of hot water and I was paying through the nose to keep water hot. That didn't make a lot of sense to me.

I got a deal on a slightly used unit from a person who bought a house with a POU unit and replaced it with a conventional heater.

by Anonymousreply 117May 24, 2017 5:48 PM

Good for you R107, I had a small portfolio of stocks and have reinvented all the divideds for the past 25 years. Now I take some of the divideds in cash and continue to to reinvest some of the divideds and it provides me with a nice income now.

by Anonymousreply 118May 24, 2017 5:54 PM

^^ one of the best parts of it is my maximum tax rate is only 15%. My accountant gets it down to 11%

by Anonymousreply 119May 24, 2017 5:57 PM

I send Brandon nothing.

by Anonymousreply 120May 24, 2017 6:02 PM

I download videos then delete them after viewing, like they are rentals.

When I feel like having a mocha or overpriced espresso drink, I do the best I can at home to make a reasonable facsimile of foo-foo coffee.

Buy food in bulk and plan meals around the deals. (That sounds suspiciously Richard Simmons)

Thrift store for clothes.

I don't have a cable TV or satellite entertainment package subscription. I use live streams to watch sporting events.

by Anonymousreply 121May 24, 2017 6:07 PM

[quote]I download videos then delete them after viewing, like they are rentals.

How does that work?

by Anonymousreply 122May 24, 2017 6:13 PM

r122 a peer-sharing site I visit has videos that use Flash or some plug-in my browsers don't have for viewing online. At the bottom of each film's page is a link for Download. I click download, save the film, and watch it at my convenience with a multimedia player I have installed.

Torrents sites crop up too. Use a Virtual Private Network though for torrent sites, especially if you're downloading recent movies and television shows. Entertainment conglomerates hire people to search for IP addresses downloading pirated entertainment, then follow up with notices to ISPs.

To delete the files, I either use a command-line 'rm [filename]' or in a graphic user interface select the file in a directory listing and click 'Delete'.

A faraway friend and I also swap films and shows via DropBox or mailed DVDs.

by Anonymousreply 123May 24, 2017 6:26 PM

r56 some people work hard their whole lives and never get a break and live with a low income.

I have a timer on my hot water tank. It runs 12 hours and shuts off 12 hours. Some have told me that it doesn't really save money but I tell them well my tank is only running 6 months out of a year so it must be saving something somewhere.

I live in the north but never set my thermostat above 65°

I buy in bulk and freeze a lot of things. My freezer is always full. I grow my own tomatoes, string beans and peppers to freeze. I freeze the tomatoes whole and take them out to use in sauce or anything that calls for stewed or canned tomatoes. The tomatoes taste fresh because they haven't been processed in any way. I buy fresh corn from the farmers market and freeze the ears just the way I buy them. 3 minutes in the microwave and it is like fresh corn.

I only started buying at garage sales when I started selling on ebay but if I had known earlier I would have always bought from garage sales. People buy so much stuff and never use it and I get for practically nothing. If I saw something new to the market that I wanted My motto became, wait let someone else spend the money and then give it to you. Also older items were made so much better than the throw away crap they make today.

We think we need so much but we really don't.

by Anonymousreply 124May 24, 2017 6:28 PM

Best tip if you cook a lot and like fresh vegetables, buy frozen! They are still nutritious and will not go bad as fresh ones will, I get corn, peas, broccoli, edamame, whatever your tastes and they are cheap! I have wasted so much money on fresh that have gone bad, statistics show we throw out 40% of the food we buy from nonusage. Same with fruit buy frozen and use as needed.

by Anonymousreply 125May 24, 2017 7:22 PM

Four words: Expired Medication Blowout Sale

by Anonymousreply 126May 24, 2017 7:28 PM

R125, the problem with frozen fruit is that most fruit has so much sugar the texture is destroyed by freezing.

I use frozen fruit for purées that I use in sorbets and sauces It's not great for a lot of uses. The exception is mango, and I love TJ's frozen mango. Their frozen berry mixtures (no strawberries) are also good. I've experimented with freezing fruit with varying degrees of success.

by Anonymousreply 127May 24, 2017 7:36 PM

Frozen fruit is great for smoothies. You can also freeze bananas when they are about to go totally brown (or at whatever ripening point you prefer). Peel before freezing, and I recommend chopping first, too.

by Anonymousreply 128May 24, 2017 7:40 PM

I see, so I'm set for caftans

by Anonymousreply 129May 24, 2017 7:41 PM

You see sofas? Curtains? Tents?

by Anonymousreply 130May 24, 2017 7:48 PM

I used to clip grocery coupons. Here's a secret tip. A manufacture's coupon works for everything it sells For example, P&G coupons work for all their products. So, if you buy in bulk, a $5 coupon will work for any of that manufacture's products, such as a different $5.23 item.

I used to save a reliable 12%. That's probably ~$450 a year for me.

I've done this since I was young and poor. I'm oder now and need not continue

by Anonymousreply 131May 24, 2017 8:25 PM

Frozen vegetables are great for soups, especially for pureed. I have a number of pureed or creamy soups on rotation and it's a great way to get mega servings of vegetables. I like salads but get bored if I eat them all the time. I make a big pot, freeze most of it and it's a quick and easy way to warm a healthy meal.

Actually, heading out now to pick up some frozen cubed butternut squash--going to make a vat of curried butternut squash soup.

by Anonymousreply 132May 24, 2017 8:34 PM

R26 you are a miserable cunt, just giving helpful advice, yes others frozen fruit are just good for smoothies or purees, So R126 walk up the basement stairs in your parents home and share advice on frozen vegetables for the next meal she cooks for you, it will give you a lot more energy on your trek to the bus stop.

by Anonymousreply 133May 24, 2017 8:36 PM

R132 exactly, but you can also take them out , and stir fry them even frozen in a wok or hot pan with coconut oil , (You can get it in a spray can as well) and serve over pasta, rice, or with any protein. Use Asian Spices like soy, curry, chili paste and garlic, hoisin sauce , sesame oil , all cheap and last a long time great shelf life.

by Anonymousreply 134May 24, 2017 8:40 PM

I've never tried that, R134. Thanks for the tip.

by Anonymousreply 135May 24, 2017 8:47 PM

R134, I do use frozen vegetables for stir-fries, especially for convenience. But there is a loss in quality and texture. If I just want something easy, I'll use a bag of the frozen asian stir fry vegetables. When I want a proper stir-fry, I'll use fresh vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 136May 24, 2017 8:56 PM

I cook for the homeless- free meal and an occasional suckjob from client or volunteer.

by Anonymousreply 137May 24, 2017 10:43 PM

I put aside a day every so often to go over all my insurances and utilities. I get online and do comparisons then ring each company to negotiate. I can usually get 10 to 20% off my bills.

I do an online budget planner every year or two. It really helps to sort out where the money is going and set some realistic goals.

Whenever I'm about to make a purchase I do this simple calculation - I earn about $20 an hour after tax etc.... so is that $500 jacket worth 25 hours of work or that $20 meal worth one hour of my time? It helps that I work part time with the option to do more hours if I want.

by Anonymousreply 138May 25, 2017 2:47 PM

I do that too, R138, as far as converting a dollar amount into hours worked. It helps put things in perspective.

by Anonymousreply 139May 25, 2017 3:04 PM

For me it's the other way around. If I'm anxious over a trivia expenditure, I remind myself that a $30 taxi ride or dinner is 40 minutes of work. Keep it in perspective and let it go. I don't have to do that for large expenditures because the cost is large enough where I feel justified to be wary of it period. I don't have to think about it in terms of hours worked. For expensive items, I analyze the item in terms of how much and how long I'm going to use it and how it benefits me. I have paid over $300 for shoes because I walk everywhere, need nice footwear as my office is business official and I expect the shoes to last for years. I do not have jewelry or luxury items because seldom can I justify it other than I want it--its utility is low to me.

The only exception is a watch my mother gave me--I spent over $600 to fix it after I left in the wash. Funny thing is my mother told me, after the incident and not knowing of it, that if the maintenance of the watch was more expensive than to simply buy a new one--she would rather I buy a new one. I guess I'm much more sentimental than she.

by Anonymousreply 140May 25, 2017 3:20 PM

[quote]Speaking of paying yourself first, one thing I did was sign up for my electric utility's direct investment program. Every month they added about $50 to my bill and the money went to buy shares of their stock. Between appreciation in the stock price, reinvestment of the dividends, and my monthly investment, after about 20 years I had almost $50,000 in utility stock.

I did that too, when I lived in an area where it was available. I didn't even add as much as you did (maybe $25?) and it was only for nine years in the late '70s to mid '80s, but with dividends and reinvestments, mine is worth over $30,000 today.

by Anonymousreply 141May 25, 2017 4:27 PM

[quote]For me it's the other way around. If I'm anxious over a trivia expenditure, I remind myself that a $30 taxi ride or dinner is 40 minutes of work. Keep it in perspective and let it go. I don't have to do that for large expenditures because the cost is large enough where I feel justified to be wary of it period. I don't have to think about it in terms of hours worked.

I like to think of things in terms of trips to Europe, $1000 for the ticket, another $1000 for hotels and so on. For example, I'm probably at the point where I should be thinking about replacing my car, but doing so would equal almost 2 trips to Europe per year when you figure in payments, sales tax, and license fees. At then end of the day I tell myself that a trip is more important, and it really puts things into perspective.

Now I just need to actually take the trips.

by Anonymousreply 142May 25, 2017 5:44 PM

Yup, good points you gotta

A- have some way to keep your expenditure in perspective

B - Some foolproof way to save a bit every month

C - build up some investments in a world where assets always seem to grow faster than incomes

by Anonymousreply 143May 26, 2017 12:11 AM

"Son, many times the best way to double your money is to fold it and put it back in your pocket." -- my grandfather.

by Anonymousreply 144May 26, 2017 12:16 AM

Stay home. Stay off the internet.

by Anonymousreply 145May 26, 2017 3:39 AM

Cook your own gourmet meals (it isn't hard and google can teach you all that you need to know), grow your own cut flowers, grow you own herbs and even fruit and vegetables if possible. All three have saved me a fortune. As for clothing, you can dress like the pages of GQ from the sales racks of many TJ Maxx and Marshalls stores. I realize that every location and part of the country are different - so perhaps I have been lucky. The good clothing that I have purchased that is either made in Italy or from very high end US designers has been unreal. Also, you can purchase your fancy hair products and skin care at those stores as well. There are plenty of deals to be had online from a ton of high end websites as well if you check in often and look for crazy deals. If only I owned my own vineyard I would be set (decent wine is probably my biggest expenditure when it comes to luxury items). Don't purchase European luxury cars - I learned that lesson the hard way. Maintenance can be astronomical.

by Anonymousreply 146May 26, 2017 4:02 AM

By staying relatively the same size, I have no need to add to my wardrobe. Of course I do buy new underwear as needed, but usually from Costco. I also save money by refusing to go to Starbucks unlike many of my employees. I also believe that exercising daily, and abstaining from cigarettes and alcohol really pay dividends down the road in reduced medical expenses. I have also driven the same car for the past thirteen years because I relish not having car payments nor a mortgage.

by Anonymousreply 147May 26, 2017 5:46 AM

I'm currently trying to reduce my food intake, I need to lose weight anyway and it will save me money on groceries.

by Anonymousreply 148May 26, 2017 5:48 AM

I cut back on rent boys and use Grindr instead.

by Anonymousreply 149May 26, 2017 10:29 AM

R3, I use Lyft Line instead of Left... oh the sacrifices we make... lol.... MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 150May 26, 2017 11:32 AM

R27, like dessert much??? I hope you do walk a lot. MARY!

by Anonymousreply 151May 26, 2017 11:34 AM

Good idea R8

by Anonymousreply 152June 1, 2017 3:19 AM

R63 they buy continuously in bulk and move the product at a fast pace, and the majority of items are non-perishables.

by Anonymousreply 153June 1, 2017 3:28 AM

Me too R98! I also never order white truffles, only black.

by Anonymousreply 154June 1, 2017 3:35 AM

save time by sucking 2 cocks or more at the same time. Run a cock train on my mouth. College jock cock...the whole football team including the coach.

so a facial and a protein shake at the same time

because time is money

by Anonymousreply 155June 1, 2017 3:43 AM

I "borrow" toilet paper

by Anonymousreply 156June 1, 2017 4:05 AM

I really need to work on my impulse buying, it's starting to become an issue.

by Anonymousreply 157June 3, 2017 9:50 PM

I shop for vegetables in Chinatown and make a big pot of congee that I freeze for the week.

by Anonymousreply 158June 3, 2017 10:20 PM

[quote] OP: What are some things you do to stretch a buck when funds are tight?

Here's the problem. If you adopt good-consumer behavior for every day use, you'll be more likely to avoid a time "when things are tight". Unless they are always tight, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 159June 3, 2017 10:22 PM

[quote] R157: I really need to work on my impulse buying, it's starting to become an issue.

You can return things, too, in many cases.

by Anonymousreply 160June 3, 2017 10:24 PM

Stop buying clothes. You have all the clothes you'll needs for the next 10 years already. Stop falling for the clothing store ads-- no, you will not look like that model of you wear the newest fashions.

by Anonymousreply 161June 3, 2017 10:27 PM

Use Vaseline for lube. Generic brand of course

by Anonymousreply 162June 3, 2017 10:28 PM

I really like some of the posts here. I can't believe that a bunch of you are single, because you sound like you'd make great companions to me. Frugal, to me, is being reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 163June 3, 2017 10:56 PM

Didn't marry or breed; saved $50,000 a year at least.

by Anonymousreply 164June 3, 2017 11:29 PM

I download new music albums from a Russian website. They are about $2 each

by Anonymousreply 165June 4, 2017 1:10 AM

You give Russians your credit card number, R165?!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 166June 4, 2017 1:11 AM

People should be saving 10-15% of their paycheck just for retirement. That money should go into a 401k or ira and then into the stock market. Above that, you should have 6-8 months of living expenses in a savings account.

by Anonymousreply 167June 4, 2017 1:13 AM

I don't go to Dollar or 99 cent stored now but maybe will look into one soon. I had two bad experiences. Years ago bought toothpaste, probably Korean, that actually wore away enamel. Recently bought some Russian made soup, Dove or Ivory, supposedly the purer ones. Well, it not only burned my eyes but a sensed a burning on my skin when I used it. I second the idea, dont buy anything there that goes in, or on, your body.

by Anonymousreply 168June 4, 2017 2:24 AM

I wouldn't buy things in 99cent stores, to consume or apply on my body.

by Anonymousreply 169June 4, 2017 3:50 AM

R87 Jim Norton, that you buddy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170June 4, 2017 10:38 AM

I buy 100% cotton denim shirts and polo shirts at Walmart, post-retirement. The polos are $5 and the denim button-downs are $19.

Before retirement I would not be caught dead in an article of Walmart clothing, much less allowed myself to be seen in the men's department.

by Anonymousreply 171June 4, 2017 2:46 PM

I use Vicks VapoRub as lube, I love the smell.

by Anonymousreply 172June 4, 2017 2:55 PM

Bad link, R170.

by Anonymousreply 173June 4, 2017 3:09 PM

I try not to deprive myself of what I want so I will usually buy those things on sale. I use coupons if they are a good deal like the Bed Bath & Beyond 20% ones and gas coupons, I never use coupons in grocery stores or look for coupons though. My car is payed for, a little old but runs well so I will avoid getting another as long s I can. Luckily I am past the time in my life where I was always trying to impress buying overpriced crap. I used to spend a lot on lotions and potions to make me look younger, now at 50 I just buy the $70 lotion on sale at Marshall's for $20, I just use the lotions for dry skin and comfort, I know the lines are here to stay. I don't smoke that saves a lot, I just drink wine on the weekend, nothing over $20. I pay my credit card off each month to avoid interest payments and I check my cards to see what I am spending too much on and try to scale it back if it's too much. I buy $1 occasion cards except for my my mother who usually peeks at the back of the card. I keep packaging and receipts for things, if I buy something and change my mind or have buyers remorse I will return it rather that toss it in a cupboard. I think I would do all the above if I was making tons of money.

by Anonymousreply 174June 4, 2017 3:21 PM

R165 you are paying 2 bucks for something they stole, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 175June 4, 2017 4:04 PM

I don't pay interest ... because I eschew credit.

by Anonymousreply 176June 4, 2017 6:49 PM

I have a dozen credit cards but I don't spend beyond my means, so I can pay the card off each month and never pay interest or fees.

by Anonymousreply 177June 4, 2017 7:09 PM

15 things poor people do that rich people don't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178June 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Two things that have worked wonders for me:

I only eat out once a week

I use a pre-paid cell phone

I buy $10-12 bottles of wine

There are things I cannot live without. With the above, I can save and live.

by Anonymousreply 179June 22, 2017 2:08 PM

Excuse me, THREE things.

by Anonymousreply 180June 22, 2017 2:08 PM

I think the most important thing I did was recognize what my spending habits are. I used to spend way too much at the supermarket. Then I would go out to eat. So my expenditures for food were ridiculous.

Now, while I have curbed my eating out, and definitely do it less frequently, I plan for it. I eat out once a week instead of three or four times a week. I also shop healthier and smarter. Fresh vegetables and fruit are not expensive, and I don't eat read meat or processed foods or frozen dinners. Also, I'd rather buy a whole cantaloupe for $3.99, or $2.99 than buy a small container of sliced cantaloupe for $3.99. In fact the supermarket is filled with pre sliced pre packaged fruits and vegetables, I completely stay away from. Buying a whole head of Cauliflower or cheaper that a package of cauliflower florets.

I now spend Sundays cooking. it allows me to have meals ready to eat when I get home from work on Monday and Tuesday. If I get take out, buying a $5 rotisserie chicken from Costco that I can prepare in a variety of ways, & cheaper than getting take out.. I can do chicken caesar salad, or Mexican, or Chinese chicken fried rice ( brown rice) or stirfried veggies with chicken. Chicken tacos, or burrito bowl, etc. I now spend around $250 a month or less on food, total.

by Anonymousreply 181June 22, 2017 2:28 PM

I brown bag breakfast, lunch, and mid-day snacks and bring a thermos of coffee to work. I've added up the monthly expense if I were to buy those things, daily: $500. I also do my own hair; monthly savings: $200.

Paying somebody $8,400+ a year to do things I can do myself is nuts.

Dinners are stay in; I cook and freeze; and "pay myself" 10% every payday via auto-direct deposit.

by Anonymousreply 182June 22, 2017 2:44 PM

I Don't buy special workout gear. A tee and some shorts work for exercise or peddling my bike.

I use my bike year around regardless of temp.

I try to stay two iterations behind on my gadgets and buy them used.

I date within my low income level so that money isn't an issue.

by Anonymousreply 183June 22, 2017 2:53 PM

Check for the cheapest place to fill your car with gas. Some places are cheaper on a specific day. I found a station close to me that is usually 20 cents per gallon cheaper on Tuesday.

See the link below. Replace "virginia" with your own state name.

When the webpage appears, use the page's search box to specify town or zipcode. Results also list the time the price was recorded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184June 22, 2017 3:16 PM

R182, what do you mean do your own hair? Rollers or dye?

by Anonymousreply 185June 22, 2017 4:03 PM

R124 setting your water heater to cycle 12 hours on/ 12 hours off is a great well to develop Legionella in the tank and get yourself very sick.

by Anonymousreply 186June 22, 2017 4:08 PM

i wait for the sales on champagnes and mousseux. I save A LOT.

by Anonymousreply 187June 23, 2017 8:29 AM

Bump so that people don't start new threads about this topic

by Anonymousreply 188September 22, 2017 12:16 AM

I "borrow" toilet paper from Starbucks

by Anonymousreply 189September 22, 2017 12:23 AM

I smoke tons of weed and that makes cheap food taste like a gourmet's delight.

by Anonymousreply 190September 22, 2017 12:45 AM

I always try to save where I can so I can justify the late night online shopping sprees where you wake up the next day with guilt and regret.

by Anonymousreply 191September 22, 2017 12:46 AM

R161, waking up to the insidious tactics of the advertising industry has saved me tons of money. And realizing that I'll still be as ugly as sin no matter what I wear.

by Anonymousreply 192September 22, 2017 12:52 AM

I agree R182. A couple of years ago I took a good look at what I was spending on food. Especially how often I was doing take-out, delivery or eating out. I have to admit what really prompted this was I could feel my pants were getting tighter.

The first thing I decided to do was if I was eating alone I prepared my own food. The only time I did take-out, delivery or eating out was when I was with someone, and it was more about a social activity than eating.

I use to hate the thought of food going bad and considered it waste. It didn't take a genius to run the numbers and realize even if the celery and lettuce went limp it was still less expensive than buying a salad to go.

There are some places I won't cut corners, and thankfully don't need to. Shoes. I don't mean lots of pairs, but two pairs that are expensive. Shoes for working out I spend money and replace every year. They wear out, whether you can see it or not. Unlike the poster above I spend money on workout gear. Good-by to cheap cotton t-shirts and shorts and hello to performance wear.

by Anonymousreply 193September 22, 2017 1:37 AM

The "Dollar Tree" is owned by Walmart if anyone cares.

NO cable TV.

Due to low income anyway I get discounts on my phone (lifeline) and PG&E bills

If i EVER buy anything at a store and it is crap, no matter WHAT it is, I return it and get my money back. I never used to do that. They don't give a shit and why not?

by Anonymousreply 194September 22, 2017 8:19 AM

I've stolen toilet paper from public restrooms in desperate times...apparently I'm not alone

by Anonymousreply 195September 22, 2017 8:25 AM

Stealing Sweet n Low from restaurants is totally allowed!

by Anonymousreply 196September 22, 2017 8:42 AM

Sugar daddy time

by Anonymousreply 197September 22, 2017 8:47 AM

I am SO glad I'm not poor like you guys.

by Anonymousreply 198September 22, 2017 9:02 AM

What I can't believe is how many people spend over 100 bucks a week on a cleaning lady!

by Anonymousreply 199September 22, 2017 9:20 AM

R2, wasn't it the great Sheryl Crow who suggested using only square of tp after taking a poo?

by Anonymousreply 200September 22, 2017 9:22 AM

I do my own cleaning

I shop at farmers' markets

I entertain at home, dinner parties, rather than going to restaurants with friends.

I wait for sales.

Only go to movies if it is something that you really need to see on the big screen, eg an arts film, watch the rest online (free).

My car is 10 years old, but is a very good one.

I run big appliances at night.

Seldom use the dryer.

Buy inexpensive bottled water (cannot drink tap water where I live).

Keep all of my shoes, boots and clothes in good condition so they last a long time.

Keep the thermostat down to 18C.

Note to anyone who buys frozen vegetables - check where they are from. If they just say they are imported, or if they say they are imported from China, do not buy them. They use human excrement for fertiliser. Second, if you buy any garment from an open market or the flea market, put them in your freezer for 24 hours when you bring them home (danger from moths or moth larvae).

by Anonymousreply 201September 22, 2017 10:09 AM

I try to be really aware of electricity usage. Air-dry the laundry instead of using the dryer. Usually wash dishes by hand instead of using the dishwasher.

by Anonymousreply 202September 22, 2017 10:56 AM

I'm a year 'round line dryer too.

Wash my laundry before leaving for work, hang it on the line, and it's dry by time I get home.

Should have stopped using my dryer years before I wised up that nature would do this for free.

Now I use my dryer for back-up as needed, which is rarely. I have plenty of clothes to prevent being caught short.

by Anonymousreply 203September 22, 2017 11:12 AM

Eat at home. Never, ever eat out. Bring my own food to work, never buy a sandwich make my own.

by Anonymousreply 204September 22, 2017 11:15 AM

When in the mood for fish eggs, I don't buy caviar.

Nonvintage champagnes and why not a Crémant d'Alsace or Franciacorta?

Don't eat at mid-priced restaurants. Eat with the working-class north africans, they know the good spots and there's a warm ambiance.

One really doesn't need as many new clothes or sports equipment as one imagines. Especially when aging.

Capri c'est definitivement fini.

by Anonymousreply 205September 22, 2017 11:21 AM

I'm on permanent disability due to my health. I eat once a day. I try to make sure it's always the equivalent of $5 worth no matter what. Hang dry the laundry, and use the clothes dryer to soften them only for a few mins. My feet are an unusually wide width, so I need to set money aside for a new pair once a year. I'm lucky my medications are still covered by medical, but I worry for the day they all get excluded. Less and less is being covered it seems. The prescriptions I need every month are expensive, and have to be taken for life. I worry every day about my credit card debts rung up when I was still healthy, and now I'm not. They were manageable when I was healthy, but it's been years now. I'm scared.

by Anonymousreply 206September 22, 2017 11:26 AM

Thank you to the poster above who posted the Alux video.

by Anonymousreply 207September 22, 2017 11:28 AM

Best way to save money on food? Beans. Beans are incredibly cheap. Plus they are nutritional superstars, packed with protein, and are great for digestion.

Beans, beans, the magical fruit. The more you eat them the richer and healthier you are.

by Anonymousreply 208September 22, 2017 11:29 AM

R42 that is just crazy if you are spending $300 per month on television. To be that extravagant I would guess that you are already wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 209September 22, 2017 11:34 AM

I fired my Polish cleaning lady and hired a Mexican. Went from $140 to $80. Every 2 weeks. Seriously

by Anonymousreply 210September 22, 2017 11:55 AM

I rent my chalet in high season and stay with friends to ski.

by Anonymousreply 211September 22, 2017 11:59 AM

Don't buy expensive furs every year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212September 22, 2017 12:04 PM

When things got tight I put away the credit cards and use cash.

by Anonymousreply 213September 22, 2017 12:06 PM

R201 - China is notorious for covering up problems with the goods they export. Including food. They also use extreme amounts of pesticides.

Considering the huge amount of food China produces I find it difficult to imagine human excrement is widely used. It's really not an efficient or inexpensive fertilizer to produce, collect and distribute.

Anyways even if it here is the bad news. A lot of the fresh produce you see in grocery stores throughout the Western world is imported. In the United States only about 3% are inspected by the FDA.

by Anonymousreply 214September 22, 2017 4:08 PM

R212, thanks!

Loved that commercial. They don't make classy commercials like that any more!

by Anonymousreply 215September 22, 2017 7:06 PM

I've found out that eating less and more healthy is not only good for your health, but also for your wallet.

by Anonymousreply 216September 22, 2017 8:26 PM

R208 any good bean recipes would be helpful

by Anonymousreply 217September 22, 2017 10:54 PM

PV instead of Barcelona. Cremont over champagne. Off the Fifth, not Saks. Surprising how these small austerities can really add up.

by Anonymousreply 218September 22, 2017 11:36 PM

I don't have cable TV: I don't watch enough TV to make it worthwhile. My library has tons of series on DVD, so sometimes I'll binge-watch some series I've heard about, and after a couple of episodes, I'll decide if I want to keep up with it....but I usually don't. And the only books I ever buy are reference books, and I always buy them used. My credit cards are paid off every month, so I don't pay interest.

I stopped eating out (except for social occasions) when I was diagnosed as borderline-diabetic. I'm picky about what I let myself eat, since my health depends on it. But I make sure I buy quality food. I love the farmer's markets, and my favorite produce store offers plenty of Amish-grown produce, and the Amish chickens make the very best chicken soup.

I have a membership to our Art Museum, so I can visit as often as I like, and I also get a discount in their gift shop. Every year, I buy a park pass to our local park system, and definitely get my money's worth, since some of the parks are my favorite places to walk on the weekend.

I do buy new clothes, but I buy stuff that I consider well made, which holds up. I have a very short inseam, and I can get my size from LL Bean. In my case, it's cheaper to just pay full retail instead of buying in a store, and then having to pay to have them altered.

I have a programmable thermostat, and a low-flush toilet. I have ceiling fans in most of the rooms, and I caa remain comfortable during the summer with the central air set at a much higher temperature.

Anyway, this book really opened my eyes about the difference between the appearance of financial success, and actual financial success. Pick it up at the library, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219September 23, 2017 12:09 AM

Cheap ways to suppress appetite? I'm not overweight but I'd love to lose weight and my sleep disorder means I don't get enough healing sleep. I've consulted more than a few experts and the treatments have improved my sleep quality from what it was but it will never be normal. To suppress my appetite, i do interval training but have read that it only works if only done 3 times a week. I eat mainly vegetables but would love to eat less for longevity reasons as well

by Anonymousreply 220September 23, 2017 1:02 AM

R217 - come on. Use google. That way you can find recipes that fit your budget, taste and skill.

R220 - you need to see a nutritionist or use google. I recommend google, but lately that seems to be beyond many people who post to DL. I'm a vegan. It would never occur to me to eat mainly vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 221September 23, 2017 2:16 AM

This is such an interesting topic. It's great to see what others are doing to save money.

by Anonymousreply 222September 23, 2017 2:30 AM

I buy only certified pre-owned Lexus when I need new cars. NEVER new.

by Anonymousreply 223September 23, 2017 2:46 AM

I'll cut corners on myself til it hurts but my pets are never allowed to go without.

by Anonymousreply 224September 23, 2017 2:58 AM

"What are some things you do to stretch a buck. .."

Put him in a sling.

by Anonymousreply 225September 23, 2017 3:02 AM

I downgraded from a Maybach to a mere S-class Mercedes. And sold the Rolls.

by Anonymousreply 226September 23, 2017 3:48 AM

I use the cash-back credit cards, like Discover. Years ago, I thought it was some kind of scam, but it's not. I like the 5% cash back promotions. But the real deal is the promotions they give for opening whatever card is offering the best deal. Sometimes it's $200 or more. British Air also once offered 150,000 miles or more, a few years ago. That was a kind of scam because flying through London entails very high taxes. I gave a ticket to a friend but Expedia was cheaper for him.

I make about $2,000 a year this way. It's just being a good consumer.

by Anonymousreply 227September 23, 2017 1:29 PM

I buy in bulk and store it. It's so ingrained in me now, I don't even think about it.

by Anonymousreply 228September 23, 2017 1:33 PM

Same as the poster above for my senior cats. They eat prescription food and get repeated blood tests and all the medical care they need. No regrets.

by Anonymousreply 229September 24, 2017 12:11 PM

[quote]The "Dollar Tree" is owned by Walmart if anyone cares.

No, it's not. Stop making shit up.

by Anonymousreply 230September 24, 2017 5:50 PM

Save your plastic sandwich bags and reuse them with a rubber band as a condom. (Mayo makes a great lube.)

by Anonymousreply 231September 24, 2017 5:51 PM

None of my credit cards carry fees. Nor my bank accounts. I hate fees.

by Anonymousreply 232September 24, 2017 11:48 PM

W&W for R231.

by Anonymousreply 233September 25, 2017 12:16 PM

It makes no sense to buy new cars. A good used car with low milage is the best investment. I never buy anything older than 2v yrs old and never buy anything with mileage over 15,000. I get great deals. of course, now that we've had massive flooding and hurricanes you need to be extra careful if you buy used.

by Anonymousreply 234September 25, 2017 12:17 PM

In the summer I spend my time in Florida on the beach, panhandling and giving blow jobs, and in the winter I get arrested so I can spend 90 days to 6 months in the county jail. It really helps with living expenses.

by Anonymousreply 235September 25, 2017 1:33 PM

I only use the cash machines from my bank avoiding the service charge from third party cash machines.

by Anonymousreply 236September 25, 2017 2:07 PM

Use my public library for books and DVD viewing. Even obscure videos can often be found through WorldCat and acquired through the Inter-Library Loan system.

I used to buy a lot of books. Since I've been watching my spending more closely, most of my casual, light material comes from the library.

by Anonymousreply 237September 25, 2017 3:00 PM

I already do a lot of the tips here, it's just habit. Grew up lower middle class with a frequently out of work father so I've always been frugal.

I like salads but living alone and buying all the stuff that goes into them is expensive and goes off faster than I can eat it. So I buy romaine and spinach and tomatoes but the rest of the ingredients I get at the salad bar. Yes it's expensive per pound but I can get a lot of variety and I don't have a dozen things going bad in my fridge.

by Anonymousreply 238September 25, 2017 3:58 PM

I am poor, but rich with good humor after reading this thread. Thank you all for my Monday AM smile.

by Anonymousreply 239September 25, 2017 4:27 PM

Instead of having a full-time staff member to care for the Rolls Royce, have a mobile detailing service come in weekly.

by Anonymousreply 240September 25, 2017 10:13 PM

For those who commented about frozen vegetables, Julia Child and Jacques Pepin disagreed pretty strongly about some of them. Jacques was fine using frozen peas, but Julia was adamant that if peas weren't in season, you just didn't serve them. I agree with Jacques, myself, and always have frozen peas in the freezer.

And this isn't really a money-saving tip, but a dietary one: my ex and I went to spend a long weekend at a cabin on the other side of the state. We stopped at a grocery store on the way there to stock up on some food, and both made some selections. He chose a rotisserie chicken, and a variety of frozen vegetables. For our dinner the first night, he had a single chicken leg, removed the skin, and the rest of the plate was filled with peas and carrots, topped with just a tiny bit of butter. For lunch the next day, the other chicken leg (sans skin), and a mix of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. For dinner that day, a chicken thigh (no skin) and succotash. So I finally knew his secret to keeping a 30 inch waist well into middle age. If you're a good cook, it's great to buy fresh vegetables and prepare them yourself. But lots of people aren't that skilled in the kitchen, so frozen vegetables at least make sure people are getting their vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 241September 26, 2017 12:08 AM

I've stopped eating, it saves me lots of money, who knew severe anxiety and depression could be so budget friendly!

by Anonymousreply 242September 26, 2017 1:14 AM

Do you know that the socket in a table lamp is really easy to change if it burns out? The socket costs just a couple bucks at a hardware store. You don't have to throw the lamp away.

by Anonymousreply 243September 26, 2017 3:13 AM

[quote] I agree with Jacques, myself, and always have frozen peas in the freezer.

Me too!

by Anonymousreply 244September 26, 2017 4:02 AM

Never buy anything without checking on eBay and price comparing online. I also have only bought used cars, mainly Corollas because they get good miles per gallon and don't need costly repairs/tires/Insurance. I'm fine with buying used clothing too and try my best never to buy things unless they're on sale or I have a coupon. Sometimes I wait to shower until I get to my office gym and bring home paper towels from the office bathroom. Dollar tree is great for cards, office supplies, toothpaste and soap if made in the USA, dishwashing liquid, etc. Don't eat out at expensive restaurants. Invest in index mutual funds with Schwab, fidelity or vanguard.

by Anonymousreply 245September 26, 2017 4:06 AM

I have the most basic of cell phones, I pay around $150 once a year for minutes. Any leftover minutes can be carried over when I buy more minutes for the next year. I despise cell phones. Yet need one because I have elderly parents and might actually need to be contacted while I'm out. Remember when cells used to be about 'emergencies'? Now you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on the street not looking at their cells while they walk in traffic etc.

I work from home, which means I don't need access to go online through a cell. I also still have a landline.

Most of my communication is through email. I only speak on a phone with my handful of closest friends and family members. It's no shock that so many people live beyond their means, it's mostly because we have all these extra expenses for things we never had to pay for before, such as cable TV, the Internet and cell phone bills.

by Anonymousreply 246September 26, 2017 8:55 AM

I've decided to try more frozen veggies because I sometimes find I'm too tired to cook at night and the fresh ones get left in the fridge and go bad. So from now on it's frozen for me! Except salad.

Speaking of saving money, has anyone gone to Whole Foods since Amazon took over? Is it cheaper? Because I'd like to try it but I'm scared I'll spend too much.

by Anonymousreply 247September 26, 2017 2:40 PM

Much of the time, I stay home and just not get out of bed. It cuts down on the hunger signals, as I'm not expending any energy.

by Anonymousreply 248September 27, 2017 3:06 PM

Do my own grocery shopping, make meals at home, cancel my cable (gasp!), take public transportation, use a in-store card for the discounts, wash my own clothes. And this is where I draw the line. I make a good income, but if I can save money by doing some simple things, it leaves more for more fun stuff. To keep making the big bucks, I show up for work and meetings on time and am prepared, be positive about the workplace, ask for more work, ask my manager for feedback, answer emails promptly with no words misspelled and use proper punctuation, always be courteous to everyone even if you don't like them. It does work and once you get into a pattern of success, you get nice raises, but if you see a better opportunity because you're not getting the recognition you deserve, take it.

by Anonymousreply 249September 27, 2017 3:39 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 250March 15, 2018 2:20 PM

R249 sounds like a complete pain in the ass to be around.

by Anonymousreply 251March 15, 2018 4:53 PM

My utilities are on a monthly budget plan. Yes, I pay for electricity in the winter (I use natural gas for heat) and gas in the summer (when I use the AC for cooling). It gives me an opportunity to see where I am in my usage so that I know if I need to reduce it. My first Dec in my condo, my bill was $300!! This way I avoid wasting energy and huge surprises.

I have a household checking for standard household expenses like, mortgage, phone, cable, utilities. I have a separate checking account for food, alcohol, and shopping. My salary is directly deposited into these accounts. However, for the separate account, I have the money deposited into savings and then schedule a transfer each payday into the daily use checking account. Credit cards are paid out of this account.

I take advantage of 0% interest offers for big ticket items. Had to replace my HVAC systems. Total cost was $6500 but 0% if paid in full within 24 months. Same with my washer and dryer. Bought them during Black Friday sales and pay 0% if paid within 6 months.

I carefully review my income and outlays before big ticket purchases. For example, the washer and dryer above will be paid off before I have my kitchen updated. I know that's a big ticket item but I'm doing the minimum to update it.

If you have good to excellent credit, the interest rates are often much more favorable.

by Anonymousreply 252March 15, 2018 5:08 PM

R252, here. Forgot to add one other thing.

Like others here, I buy fresh fruits and vegetables that I will actually EAT. I know blueberries are good for me but I'm wasting money if I'm not eating them. I have a Korean-run market near my house in NJ so I'm able to buy a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables along with fresh fruit. I bought wild-caught salmon and had it last night. It was delicious. The other nice thing about this market is that they have the herbs necessary to make a dish authentic/more authentic.

by Anonymousreply 253March 15, 2018 5:12 PM

I cook for the week every Sunday too. Always bring my own food, coffee, tea, snacks to the office with me. A splurge is to buy good coffee at Costco in bulk. When I go out with friends I will pregame with a cocktail at home first so I don't have to buy too many cocktails out. I know I'm cheap.

Aldi is great for basics but I do keep an eye on other supermarkets for when specific things I like go on sale. Costco is also excellent for things like generic Prilosec, vodka, nuts, almond flour (a steal) and certain veggies like Brussels sprouts. Paper products are cheaper at aldi though. Farmers markets near me are unbelievably expensive (organic, artisanal, hoity toity clientele - so I usually don't frequent them.

My pugs are fed well and do not skimp on the things they need like eye drops etc but I will bathe and cut their nails at home. Do my own house cleaning and lawn work and snow shoveling.

Would rather spend $$ on traveling than on status brands, bags, shoes etc. Drive my cars for about 10 years will always buy a hybrid - I get 58ish mpg which is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 254March 15, 2018 11:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!