Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ADDERALL

I'm addicted. I can't function well without it. On weekends, when I don't take it, I lie in bed, listless and half asleep.

Now my psychiatrist is taking it away from me, because of irregularities in an EKG. Adderall strains my heart, supposedly. An echocardiogram showed no irregularities, but my GP advised getting off Adderall. I'm quite upset.

What's a good alternative, offering sustained energy and focus? Yerba mate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 14, 2018 8:28 AM

Everyone's on Adderall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2017 4:01 PM

What about Strattera?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2017 4:02 PM

Many people are on it just to keep their weight in check. Many people abuse it for work reasons.

People need to realize Adderral is essentially meth, they aren't that different from each other. I've used it when I wanted to also, but only on occasion. I would never have it be a regular thing.

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2017 4:06 PM

If you go to Humboldt Park in Chicago, you can solve all your problems.

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2017 4:30 PM

It's speed. Get ready for withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2017 4:30 PM

Are Adderall and meth the same?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2017 4:40 PM

ADD/ADHD and yerba mate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2017 4:44 PM

1) Why don't you take it on weekends? are you only prescribed 5 pills a week? strange.

2) You shouldn't let your GP make decisions about your need or lack thereof for psychiatric medicine. Your psychiatrist is an MD. In your case, since both are advising to get off the script, the party is over for you. Ask your psychiatrist how to keep your life together without it. It's his job.

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2017 4:47 PM

R8, no, I'm prescribed 30 pills a month, but the psychiatrists all say it's nice to take weekends off, so one doesn't lose sensitivity to Adderall. Very standard practice. I still take it on some Saturdays or Sundays, to get out of bed and do errands.

The GP is advising on my heart, and is working with the psychiatrist to get me on something new, but right now I guess I'm going to focus on getting off Adderall, over a few months.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2017 4:49 PM

So does one feel speedy on A?

Wouldn't mind losing a few pounds but feeling wound up is not an option.

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2017 5:31 PM

R9 hope you find a solution.

R10 yes at the beginning of therapy, one feels speedy. However Adderall should be prescribed to people who genuinely have ADD or certain other challenges. It takes several months at least to do its work. The benefit is counter-intuitive. Thus, it is speed that may be experienced differently by people who have ADD than by people who don't - who shouldn't take it. I would say the exception is students crunching for exams, and there it is a smart drug that produces desired benefits and young people use it for a very limited time in that context. No doctor is going to give you ADD drugs to drop a few pounds so give up that pipe dream.

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2017 5:38 PM

[quote]No doctor is going to give you ADD drugs to drop a few pounds so give up that pipe dream.

You don't openly say that, but the use of it for that purpose is a real thing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2017 5:44 PM

If R10 is a millionaire star, he could easily find a quack to prescribe. I agree. But the average joe isn't going to get such a script because the average doc is ethical and providing best practice care for a normal person.

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2017 5:48 PM

There are many drugs but your doctor may not want to prescribe them. You will be left with coffee if that's the case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2017 5:55 PM

Anyone ever taken a very low dose of Adderall?

I have terrible problems concentrating and I’m exhausted all the time. But I also have bad insomnia, do don’t want to get too speedy.

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2018 2:25 PM

I take prescription grade methamphetamine (desoxyn) for my narcolepsy for the past 18 years and I find it to be much milder than adderall which I can't stand. It's much smoother than adderal. It's ridiculous that adderal is so easy to get prescribed but desoxyn isn't. I get my heart checked regularly and everything is fine.

Btw I used to do crystal way back in my party years and desoxyn is nothing like street meth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2018 2:34 PM

Perhaps it would be better to overcome your drug addiction and learn to function without it?

Unless you have narcolepsy or some other very specific problem, it may be useful to seek other options.

There has long been a debate about whether ADHD is rising or whether it's been overdiagnosed. Secondly, even if it is actually rising, many people believe it's a product of the current environment.

In today's immediate gratification world, a pill to solve problems would become popular. Perhaps doing a bit more research with reputable sources, might yield better solutions to the underlying problem, rather than merely trying to solve the problem of getting your next fix.

by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2018 2:34 PM

It is very bad for your heart with prolonged use. I discontinued it after about a year - admittedly it was great when I first started but I knew I was becoming dependent on it so I spoke with my doctor and was weened off. I knew what I was able to accomplish while using it and was able to adjust my mindset and replicate the benefits on my own.

by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2018 2:34 PM

Excellent stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2018 2:35 PM

Vyvance honey. Adderall is so 90s.

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2018 2:43 PM

I have never met anyone else who has been prescribed Desoxyn. Any fellow narcoleptic DL'ers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2018 2:45 PM

believe it or not, but a godsend. Purchased online or at GNC. I mix in milk and only get their "café series" as opposed to any fruit flavors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2018 2:47 PM

Please don't encourage the yerba mate troll.

by Anonymousreply 23March 28, 2018 2:54 PM

Just get off of it, OP. I've been there, and I suggest switching to Wellbutrin for a few months following quitting, for just a little energy and to help stave off the depression that follows stopping amphetamines.

by Anonymousreply 24March 28, 2018 3:12 PM

One of my best friends abused it heavily in college. Sadly things didn't end up working out great for her after school despite it helping boost her grades

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2018 5:15 PM

Phentermine does the same thing. Just go to any weight loss clinic, and they’ll prescribe it for you no matter how much you weigh. They’re basically drug pushers.

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2018 5:20 PM

Adderall isn't addictive. I believe meth is. And I think everyone was on amphetamines in the seventies before they were outlawed.

by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2018 5:28 PM

Read adderall prescription - it will say Amphetamine. Not good for you.

by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2018 5:30 PM

are you overweight OP?

by Anonymousreply 29March 28, 2018 6:01 PM

methamphetamines aren't the same as amphetamines. They are closely related, but not the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 30March 28, 2018 6:04 PM

R20, agree. Vyvanse, you don't need to abuse it because it not only helps you concentrate but you won't get into an obsessive online research and not move. Vyvanse gives you that desire to get up and physically get things done. There's coupons available. Adderrall poops out. It's not like meth at all.

The one thing that is like meth is the drug Campral. Invented in Germany to help stop drinking. Works in three days. You'll never miss the drinking. You'll be busy fixing and cleaning. Up your calcium supplements with this one.

Add vitamin C and ginseng. Grab those caffeine shots at 7-11 coffee station.

by Anonymousreply 31March 28, 2018 8:33 PM

The most powerful Ginseng is actually available at the dollar tree. It does stress all of your organs a bit over time so watch it.

Green tea gives a shot but it's actually addictive and can cause stomach problems.

by Anonymousreply 32March 28, 2018 8:36 PM

I drink Green tea.

by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2018 8:38 PM

I actually just learned that meth mouth is caused by dehydration. Screws with your saliva output. I was blown away. I thought it was pipe use that did it.

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2018 8:39 PM

I take Concerta which is similar to Adderal.

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2018 8:46 PM

I completely relate, OP. I have an Adderall RX and I worry about it being bad for my heart but I just can't function without it. Like you I try to skip days here and there to kinda head off building up a tolerance (that doesn't work) and to give my system a rest from stimulants. On those days I just sleep a lot.

Anyway, I've found this Redline drink at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and those kinds of places is a pretty good substitute if you can't get the RX anymore. I've built up such a tolerance to stimulants and it works better than Redbull or Monster at getting me going.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2018 8:47 PM

I know someone who is completely addicted to Adderall. Slow without it. Later on a learned the truth that she was actually doing suboxone (hillbilly heroin) meant for heroin addicts but all of the younger generation are doing the suboxone film as a recreational drug. The withdrawals were such hell for her. Sleeping for days. They sneak it into jail as part of a child's drawing. The films are orange. They also smuggle the film behind postage stamps and on the envelope seal. One film cut into 8 pieces to give an opiate high. Harder to get off of than heroin.

Our government was duped by pharmaceutical reps.

Suboxone is a major problem in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2018 8:48 PM

I really don't think you can be addicted to Adderal. I'm speaking from my personal experience though, and I have an addictive personality. It's one of those annoying highly controlled drugs though, so you have to jump through hoops to get it and maintain your prescription.

by Anonymousreply 38March 28, 2018 11:04 PM

Can the person that referenced Humboldt Park please elaborate? I need adderall and dont live far from there!

by Anonymousreply 39March 28, 2018 11:16 PM

Modafinil. A smart drug so it's much safer but expensive as hell.

by Anonymousreply 40March 29, 2018 12:09 AM

Call me old fashioned, but I've always just preferred cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 41March 29, 2018 12:50 AM

My mother took Adderall for years and swore by it! Nothing wrong with it at all. She said it kept her svelte for my father.

by Anonymousreply 42March 30, 2018 9:03 PM

ADHD speed has changed my brain for the better. Why go off it? Get a new doctor and a new shrink. Change the molecule to see if the heart situation resolves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 30, 2018 9:08 PM

You need Provigil!!!

by Anonymousreply 44March 30, 2018 9:10 PM

Any way to get any of this stuff online?

by Anonymousreply 45March 30, 2018 9:53 PM

You can wean yourself off of it with Cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 46March 31, 2018 12:05 AM

Provigil and nuvigil only made me tired and gave me headaches

by Anonymousreply 47March 31, 2018 8:24 AM

R45 prescription drugs used to be available online from other countries, not sure how that all works now.

There are lots of methy pills marketed as diet / weight loss drugs available OTC & online.

by Anonymousreply 48March 31, 2018 2:34 PM

If I like adderall (I do) would I like cocaine? What's the difference in the way they make you feel? Asking for a friend

by Anonymousreply 49March 31, 2018 2:36 PM

Adrafanil has the same prodrug as Modafanil does when converted in the liver and sells online relatively cheap, and is legal without a prescription. I've heard of people taking either of the aforementioned for focus and appetite control just like Adderall provides, but without the speedy "euphoric" effect that comes from too much of the down-regulation of dopamine.

by Anonymousreply 50April 1, 2018 1:30 AM

Adderal is hard to come off. I take Ritalin 3 times a day, lowest dose. I hated the crashes fro Adderal.

by Anonymousreply 51April 1, 2018 1:36 AM

Your doctor is just cutting you off, cold turkey. He should, instead, lower your dose over scheduled period of time. I would bring this up to him bc you are concerned. Ask the MD for clear medical evidence that cutting you off this is safe.

by Anonymousreply 52April 1, 2018 2:34 AM

I believe Adderal has the potential to be a neurotoxin — long term use could damage the brain. Ritalin/methylphenidate may be a preferable option as its potential for neurotoxicity is lower.

by Anonymousreply 53April 1, 2018 4:44 AM

Wellbutrin works great for ADHD. Tell your doctor you want a taper off the Adderal and then you will learn to deal with a new reality.

by Anonymousreply 54April 1, 2018 7:03 AM

R15 (if you're still with us).

I have taken a 30mg extended release capsule every morning for almost 4 years now. I had a variety of problems over the years with antidepressants and stimulants, too complicated (and boring) to detail here, but I was highly dysfunctional until trial and error got me not just to Adderall, but the actual dosage. It's truly the difference between being able to complete function and not being able to function at all. Occasionally I need a cup of coffee in the middle of the day, but I've been doing very well on it. No side effects. It's out of my system by evening and doesn't screw up my sleep.

You doctor should be able to write you a 'script for just a few to try it out.

by Anonymousreply 55April 1, 2018 7:20 AM

Don’t buy shit off the street. It could have Fentanyl and you’ll drop dead. Maybe your EKG showed an arrhythmia. Not something to take lightly.

by Anonymousreply 56April 1, 2018 7:22 AM

It's hilarious to me all of the white Adderall addicts who are just as conniving, cold, sneaky, shitty and nasty as your average crack or meth head, yet think their brain chemistry isn't totally changed by this pharmaceutical horseshit. But waaahhhh, your ADD is so tender to the touch. Gotta have your speed to function.

by Anonymousreply 57April 1, 2018 7:26 AM

What do you black folks use then?

by Anonymousreply 58April 1, 2018 11:43 AM

Just ordered adrafanil. Any other people who’ve tried it? What was it like?

by Anonymousreply 59April 2, 2018 2:58 PM

[quote]Can the person that referenced Humboldt Park please elaborate? I need adderall and dont live far from there!

Ask for 3 Finger Nardoni.

by Anonymousreply 60April 2, 2018 3:06 PM

I've taken it a few times just to see what all the hype was and HATED it. The crash is just not worth it, and it's a very short lived high.

by Anonymousreply 61April 2, 2018 3:15 PM

Get a script for Provigil.

by Anonymousreply 62April 2, 2018 3:40 PM

Switch to Dexadrine or Provigil.

by Anonymousreply 63April 2, 2018 3:47 PM

R62 Isn't Provigil outrageously expensive?

by Anonymousreply 64April 2, 2018 6:06 PM

OP, why are you bothering us with your drug addiction? Seek professional help. Please.

by Anonymousreply 65April 2, 2018 6:10 PM

My sister legitimately needs Adderall to focus. She's a mess without it. I was tested for ADD, but it turned out I didn't have it. My boyfriend does and he gave me a few of his to see what it would do and, hot damn, I felt like I was the most productive human being in the world. I got so much shit done AND felt great doing it. It really does make you feel alive and alert and ready to take on the world.

I'm fine if I take one every few months or something for a special occasion, but I once took 3 over the course of a weekend and, on Monday, I couldn't even leave my bed. It was like the biggest depression of my life. Coming down from Adderall is AWFUL. I've never felt that down in my life. I'm not a drug person (I've only done a little pot), but I could finally imagine what it must feel like to go through withdrawals. It wasn't fun, folks. Small dosages only when you REALLY need the boost.

by Anonymousreply 66April 2, 2018 6:12 PM

Prescription drugs are pushed as much as illicit drugs. Watch a television commercial touting the wonderful advantages of prescription drug addiction after brief mention of the horrible side effects: "Be sure to ask YOUR doctor about adderall today!" Whoopi Goldberg: "Sure, the government wants to fight the illicit drug trade because they want you hooked on the shit THEY'RE pushin!!" Aye, this is true. Best advice? Leave ALL drugs alone. Do what you have to do naturally without any sort of chemical crutch. That said, marijuana should always be available (no, this is not hypocrisy).

by Anonymousreply 67April 2, 2018 7:57 PM

What about vyvanse then, the newer, supposedly improved alternative to adderall?

by Anonymousreply 68April 2, 2018 8:49 PM

Before finding Adderall, I was on Vyvanse for a short term. For me there were awful side effects. It increased my anxiety, insomnia, and it fucked with my prostate. I had to pee much more frequently. It wasn't listed as a possible side effect, but the issue stopped within a day of when I stopped taking it.

I agree that the pharmaceutical companies are drug pushers. And I wish I had the information then that I have now. Whatever issues I was going thru at the time, I would have just stayed in a room for three months and ate chicken and broccoli and they probably would have passed. But now I am addicted to Adderall and must take it every day. Sometimes the damage done to a person's chemistry is permanent, as in irreversible. Trying to wean off or switch to something else would cause me tremendous damage, and there's no guarantee I'll recover to the point where I can be productive as I am now. And I've tried! I've lost up to 4 months at a time, many times within the last 10 years in attempts to get off. Every time, I ended up with no choice but to back on. The best analogy I can give is when a diabetic needs insulin for the rest of his life. It sucks.

Some people can successfully get off, but not everybody can. We all have different brain and body chemistryies

by Anonymousreply 69April 3, 2018 3:35 AM

I tried to get a prescription for Provigil and my doctor wouldn’t do it.

by Anonymousreply 70April 3, 2018 3:37 AM

But for all of the Adderall-takers...do you have abs? I want abs.

by Anonymousreply 71April 3, 2018 3:41 AM

Modafanil, was given to military snipers in the past to keep focus and awake. I was on Adderall for years, and my psychiatrist took me off as well. Like the Modafanil better, does not make your sweat smell like a hobo like Adderall did. I also notice I have a more even ride, with the Adderall I would peak and drop off quickly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 3, 2018 3:45 AM

Nuvigil was good for me for keeping awake. I had my doctor give me a prescription for Provigil to try because I read it was a better "smart drug". It made my blood pressure go through the roof. I had to triple my HBP medicine for several days until the effect wore off, and I wouldn't take Provigil after that.

by Anonymousreply 73April 3, 2018 3:53 AM

R72.... R69 here.

I was on Provigil for almost 5 years, (Modafinil is the generic name). It worked fine, but the pharmaceutical company skyrocketed the price just as it was going to generic so I had to wean off. It seemed successful, then months after I hadn't taken any, I got deathly ill and no doctor could figure out what was wrong with me. I found a bottle with 10 Provigils that I had stashed away and forgotten about. Within 30 minutes, I was running around cleaning my apartment. Like the previous 2 months hell never happened. Turned out, I had just been going thru a long-delayed withdrawal. No one even considered because weeks had gone by since I had taken my last dose, (which was down to 10mg from 100mg)..... I was put back on, back to normal, but told I had to switch to another drug. Long horrible saga. But once finally back on, it just stopped working one day. I wonder if it was a cheap generic switch or something. Anyway, it was during this period that I tried a variety of drugs, (including Vyvanse), until finally arriving at Adderall. I prefer Adderall to Provigil for the same reasons you prefer the opposite. Adderall does for me what Provigil does for you. But also, I'm on extended release so that could be the reason.

I'm letting you know just in case your Provigil decides to just stop working one day like mine did. It's horrifying. But immediately switch to Adderall if need be.

by Anonymousreply 74April 3, 2018 4:02 AM

Ugh I’m R70, what did all of you do to get a prescription for Provigil? I’m overweight and tired all the time but it wasn’t enough to get me a prescription.

by Anonymousreply 75April 3, 2018 4:07 AM

Have you had your thyroid checked R75? If there is some other issue going on it's better to treat that rather than just taking a stimulant to deal with the symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 76April 3, 2018 4:09 AM

Provigil Irony: It was originally invented and prescribed for Narcolepsy, and any GP could prescribe it. Then Psychiatrists found it helped with depression and started prescribing it off-label. It took off in the psychiatric community. Now it's solely known as a psyche drug and you can only get it from a psychiatrist.

by Anonymousreply 77April 3, 2018 4:20 AM

Rx76 I’m on thyroid medicine and now my thyroid is normal. I really want it for energy.

by Anonymousreply 78April 3, 2018 4:21 AM

R75 If you're overweight, it might give you mental energy, (as in ability to concentrate), but won't necessarily give you more physical energy.

by Anonymousreply 79April 3, 2018 4:24 AM

Get a sleep study done. If any sleep issues are causing your tiredness, they should give you modafinil (instead of speed)

by Anonymousreply 80April 3, 2018 5:07 AM

[quote]what did all of you do to get a prescription for Provigil?

My doctors prescribe anything I want. Maybe it's because I trick them into suggesting it rather than explicitly asking for it. Learn what symptoms to describe and possibly mention that you read about some specific medication that you think might work.

by Anonymousreply 81April 3, 2018 5:18 AM

I really do not understand people talking about "the crash" from Adderall. There is no crash and it isn't addictive. Of course I'm actually taking it for ADHD and not the other uses here. Vyvanse is a "cleaner" and smoother alternative. I switch between the two to keep tolerance at bay. I assume some of whom are posting here have never actually taken it or have taken something similar but not the same. They are just amphetamine salts.

When I take it, I get calm and able to concentrate. My focus is great. It isn't speed to me.

by Anonymousreply 82April 3, 2018 6:18 AM

Those of you looking for energy, just drink a Monster Ultra or use five hour energy. You don't need a prescription. Those two give energy without feeling hyper.

by Anonymousreply 83April 3, 2018 6:20 AM

R48, what are these "methy" pills you speak of, and what kind of OTC are you talking about??

by Anonymousreply 84April 4, 2018 1:42 AM

I am narcoleptic and get prescribed desoxyn aka methamphetamine hydrochloride. Very fast acting, subtle and clean without Shitty come downs. Adderal made me feel like death and provigil & nuvigil would often give me headaches and cause me to get even sleepier. Any other DL narcoleptics here?

by Anonymousreply 85April 4, 2018 8:30 AM

Is Adderall the same as “speed”, or is that something different? I always wondered what “speed”exactly is.

by Anonymousreply 86September 14, 2018 6:17 AM

Geez, where do you people get your drugs?

I'm suffering tremendous shoulder pain due to poor posture pulling on a nerve and the first thing my Orthopedic doctor says is, "no narcotics." Luckily I had some old Vicodin at home that lasted a few days and now my cousin has given me her old Tramadol.

by Anonymousreply 87September 14, 2018 6:33 AM

you're a junkie.

clean up your act.

grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 88September 14, 2018 7:39 AM

my MD gave me 60 10 mg Bacoflen as a muscle relaxer because apparently ins. companies will not pay for Soma anymore. with refills.

she also gave me 50 mg Tramodol for pain 20 ea. with refills.

i found a web page with people describing their experiences with Baclofen since I have never heard of it and the majority love it and finally have major relief from years of terrible pain.

i did experience some not so hot so side effects ONCE when i over medicated......i don't abuse. ( i over did it once and that was enough) but i refill because stockpiling. and if someone i know might need help. but i also know a few people in particular i never offer to because they would rather bitch moan and groan and be in pain so to hell with them. suffer suckas.

by Anonymousreply 89September 14, 2018 7:46 AM

Apart from the nose, the picture from OP looks like Avicii.

by Anonymousreply 90September 14, 2018 8:00 AM

If you actually need Adderall for ADHD reasons, it has a completely different effect on you than it does on those who don't. I took it a few times in middle school when it was all the rage and it did nothing except make me not want to eat. I took it a few times in my late 20's and I was practically jumping on the walls and cleaning the house and rearranging everything just to keep active. It was bizarre.

If I took it just once, I'd be fine the next day, but if I took if for, say, an entire weekend and then didn't take it on Monday, I'd have legit suicidal thoughts. It was like my brain couldn't comprehend why I was such an underachiever without it. It made me feel worthless, especially because of that full weekend high. It made me very chatty and sociable and I'm usually very shy. It was odd.

I might have one again if I really need a boost, but after that awful experience, it has to be a real emergency. My partner, however, legitimately needs them and he has a totally different reaction and calms down. I think every drug has different effects on different people. Smoking pot or eating an edible calms him down and makes him tired, but it gives me a rush and makes me super productive and imaginative.

by Anonymousreply 91September 14, 2018 10:03 PM

Concerta?

by Anonymousreply 92December 14, 2018 8:23 AM

Just go to any inner city park and talk to a minority. They'll get it for you.

by Anonymousreply 93December 14, 2018 8:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!