Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Loving Joan Jett

I'm a new fan of Joan's, just getting into her music, and from what I'm learning, it's popular to hate her now because of some scandals involving her first band. In fact, on another old thread here, people were just saying that Joan Jett is known for being awful and a bit of a "predator" blah, blah. But, daggon' it, I love her, and she seems pretty nice for the most part.

Anyone else here in love with her too? Or, do any of you have any juicy insider stories to tell? Good or bad, I'd like to know them all. And since there seems to be a huge debate about what Joan's true sexuality is, any true stories about Joan hitting on people are, of course, welcome.

On a related note, Joan seems to always say that she's single. But, around 1999-2000, I noticed in video footage that she kept a band on her ring finger. Anyone know what that might have been about? Was she in a secret relationship or did she just like wearing the ring there? Whatever the case may be, she's a rocker, and true rockers are swingers, so I don't see that kind of monogamous commitment being Joan's thing (which may be why she doesn't wear a ring on that finger now).

Anyway, any cool stories about Joan to share? They can be good, bad, gossip, or whatever. Lets get this thread a rockin' and a rollin'!

by Anonymousreply 332May 28, 2019 9:15 PM

So, judging by the lack of replies to this topic, nobody loves Joan Jett or has ever met her before. Like, does she even exist?

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2017 4:51 AM

This was a few years ago, 2012, I think- and she looks better than she did in the 1980s!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2017 6:34 AM

...her face became less bad-ass resting bitch face and more overtly friendly and sweet. So, she's evolved into a sweet badass, as opposed to just a badass, which is even better!

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2017 6:36 AM

She may well be the most sexual singer I've ever seen on the stage- and with her, it's not an act. It's not just a gimmick, like with Madonna and other sexual stars. You get the sense with Joan, that she really is this into sex. Check it out:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2017 6:42 AM

...All this and more is why I love her! But, I am shocked at the lack of participation on this topic! Oh well, all the more Joan for me then.

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2017 6:50 AM

Joan Jett watched her Jackie Fox et raped, used to laugh about it with her other band mates, then lied about the guy even raping Jackie Fox. She ain't shit.

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2017 7:49 AM

r6- Well, think what you want. We weren't there, were we? We also aren't her and don't know how it feels to be her. People are only capable of being how they are, and often times, that's why a lot of us would give anything to be somebody else.

Judge not, lest ye be judged, as the saying goes. So, I shall leave that between Joan and God to work out. In the meantime, I'll love her.

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2017 8:02 AM

I love Joan Jett's music and style. She was such a beauty in her youth.

The rape collusion allegations have really dulled some of her shine, however. Gross.

There's no "huge debate over Joan Jett's true sexuality," you're the first fan I know of trying to delude him or herself. Joan Jett is now openly lesbian.

And NO, not "all rockers are swingers," either, especially the female ones.

Since you like to make up your beliefs, why ask other people for the truth?

Joan Jett is madly in love with you. Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2017 7:04 PM

Here's what I know:

THIS SONG ROCKS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2017 7:07 PM

r8- You obviously don't know much about Joan if you don't think she's a swinger. Also, it's worth noting that the mantra of "Sex, drugs, and rock n' roll" doesn't exist for nothing.

Also, since when was Joan "openly lesbian"? She has never publicly made that declaration.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2017 8:25 PM

[quote]Joan Jett is madly in love with you. Case closed.

I'll take it!

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2017 8:27 PM

Lots of plastic surgery is why she looks better now.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2017 8:44 PM

r12- Hey, I don't care how she got her looks, just that she's got'em!

This video is my favorite look for her. She was so cute here! Admittedly though, she's aged a lot between then (2012) and now. And she's now wearing her hair in an older-lady way, as opposed to the adorable way she had it here. But, it's alright- she can always change it back to this, I guess. I hope she does, cause it suited her so well!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2017 8:55 PM

Compare the above video to this one, and you'll see what I mean about the older-lady style she has now. Odd how someone can change SO MUCH in just 3 or 4 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2017 8:57 PM

One of the best shows I've ever seen was joan Jett at a county fair in 2003 or 4. She was so good to the crowd and amazing show.

I also saw her step in for the murdered Mia Zapata for a Gits/ Evil Stig show, and once in the late 90s. She was best in 2003.

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2017 9:12 PM

A friend of my, a lesbian, did sound for her for years. Joan is absolutely lesbian. I don't know anything about rape allegations.

by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2017 9:14 PM

OP, check out the Gits. I feel like Mia would have become as great as JJ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2017 9:19 PM

Joan used to have an office in a building on Broadway in Soho. This was probably around ten years ago, so I doubt it's still there.

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2017 9:19 PM

...Speaking of plastic surgery, while I think she has had some, I also think she's been fairly smart about it and hasn't gone overboard. She proves that not all plastic surgery is bad. And on that note, I wonder what kind of surgery would have changed the position of her eyes in their sockets. But, compare pictures of her from the 70s and 80s to some of her from 2008 or 2012 for example (when I think she looked her cutest), and if you'll notice, not only to her eyes look bigger, but the whites of her eyes no longer show so much from her bottom eye-lids like they used to. It's like her actual eye-balls were reset, and it actually made her look cuter. Less intimidating and more sweet.

Heck, even her brows are better now, cause they're less arched in an angry way, like they were when she was young. How is this possible, I wonder? Whatever the case, I like it.

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2017 9:20 PM

R16- Are you saying she hit on your lesbian friend?

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2017 9:23 PM

R17- Thanks for the video!

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2017 9:23 PM

Anyone care to take a guess at what that thing is in her right ear at that video posted at r13? It almost looks like some kind of weird hearing-aid or something.

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2017 9:38 PM

I've never heard anything about her that would suggest she's "nice." She seems kind of odd; a loner with few involvements. Something about her seems not all there. She's definitely a lesbian but has never come out and admitted it. I never liked her. And I always loathed the Runaways, a bunch of talentless little girls striking rock star poses and trying to be "sexy", presided over by their impresario, the loathsome Kim Fowley. They were a joke.

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2017 9:50 PM

[quote]She seems kind of odd; a loner with few involvements. Something about her seems not all there.

That makes 2 of us. Hey, we're perfect for each-other! :-)

As far as you never hearing anything about her that would suggest she's nice, don't take others' word for it. Just go watch her concerts and interviews. She comes across as very nice. And unless you have a personal story about her to suggest otherwise, I think it's more fair to assume she is.

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2017 9:57 PM

P.S. r23- I hate to say it, but the "not all there" impression you get from her could be because she's often high on pot. I found out she doesn't drink, she doesn't smoke, and doesn't do hard drugs, BUT she does do pot. I think that could make her spacey and not all there a lot of the time. I mean, I've never done it, so I don't know, but that's my guess. I just hope it's not killing her brain. So many people say pot is harmless though, so for her sake, I hope to God that's true.

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2017 10:02 PM

...As for those saying "she's definitely a lesbian" did you ever consider that she might be bisexual instead?

On that note, she has a song called THE FRENCH SONG, about being in a 3-way relationship/ If any of you don't believe she's a swinger, just listen to the lyrics (which she helped to write)! I often wonder if she's got something going on with her manager, Kenny Laguna- cause they are always on the road together. How can his wife handle that?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2017 10:10 PM

...Could it be that THE FRENCH SONG was written about her relationship with Kenny and his wife?!

by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2017 10:16 PM

She turns up on one track on the new Blondie album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2017 11:19 PM

It was mighty nice to hear that, Thanks, r28!

And r23- I am not much of a Runaways fan myself. But, for some reason, I am a fan of Joan's. Oh, amore, so mysterious...none can explain it.

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2017 11:37 PM

Hey all- check out this vid of Joan- having oral sex with her guitar, starting at around the 2:42 mark!

Like I've said, Joan is THE MOST DELICIOUSLY SEXUAL WOMAN in entertainment! Except to her, it's more than entertainment- it's a part of who she is- a woman whose sex drive only adds to her charm! I love it!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2017 11:42 PM

The Runaways were better than people give them credit for. Live in Japan is a great album. Dead End Justice is a hoot!

by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2017 11:46 PM

Joan sometimes lets people touch her butt at concerts too!

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2017 11:48 PM

I love how nothing gets by her! She catches her fans behaving badly at concert, and she talks to them, tries to talk them out of it. She's great!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2017 11:52 PM

Flattest ass in Rock n Roll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 16, 2017 12:05 AM

."As for those saying "she's definitely a lesbian" did you ever consider that she might be bisexual instead?"

No. By all accounts, she's a straight up lesbo. Not that it matters, really.

As for her ass...well, Pat Benatar gives Joan a run for her money when it comes to ass flatness. Those high cut, spandex leotards she always wore emphasized her non-existent buttocks. She didn't have any tits, either. She had pop eyes and a mouthful of tombstone teeth. And she was considered a sex symbol! But that was the eighties for you.

by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2017 12:22 AM

OP: Plastic surgery doesn't age that well. It looks great for a while, but then looks unnatural as more age comes. That could account for what you are seeing in the last few years. Also women's hair often starts to thin post-menopause and post-hair dye. Hair people always try to "fluff it up", but it's better not to really. That just makes it look older.

by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2017 12:28 AM

r35- What do you mean by "all accounts"? Not trying to be annoying, but there's never really been official accounts of her lesbianism.

And if she was a straight-up lesbian, how do you explain this yummy encounter one guy had with her, here? I doubt a straight-up lesbian would make out with a guy and flirt with him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 16, 2017 12:39 AM

Do any JJ fans know where the video for I Love RnR was filmed? I can find the name of the bar online but not the address. Do you know?

by Anonymousreply 38May 16, 2017 1:08 AM

And if she was a straight-up lesbian, how do you explain this yummy encounter one guy had with her, here? I doubt a straight-up lesbian would make out with a guy and flirt with him."

Honey, lesbians FUCK guys. That's not their preference, but there are some lesbians who do the occasional guy. In the movie "Go Fish" a lesbo is chastised by her buddies for fucking a guy and she explains her actions by telling them "it was sex." No big deal, just sex with somebody who didn't happen to be her preferred sort. And then there are the closed lesbos who marry guys and have children with them. So a lesbian getting in on with a guy for whatever reason is nothing new.

As for this "yummy encounter", as you put it...well I hate to burst your bubble but it could very well be sheer fantasy. Do you believe everything you read on blogs? That's not very bright. And supposing for a minute it was true; it's highly possibly that Joan was fucked up, drunk or stoned, which prompted her to "make out" and "flirt" with a guy. People who are drunk or stoned do things like that. Anyway, I don't believe the guy's shit that he "made out with Joan Jett." Sounds like a load of bullshit to me.

Joan Jett has never been linked with any guy, has never been known to have a relationship with any guy. LOOK at her. She's butch as hell. Her sexual preference has been an open secret ever since the Runaways. She's not bi. You want her to be, but she's been in the public eye a long time and nothing, nothing has ever suggested that she is. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 39May 16, 2017 2:13 AM

OMG who are these weirdos denying that Joan is gay? What is your agenda?

Fake News! Sad.

by Anonymousreply 40May 16, 2017 2:16 AM

R14, I'm not digging the Judge Judy hair, personally, lol

by Anonymousreply 41May 16, 2017 2:42 AM

She is as straight or bi as Kristen Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 42May 16, 2017 2:46 AM

[quote]Joan Jett has never been linked with any guy, has never been known to have a relationship with any guy. LOOK at her. She's butch as hell. Her sexual preference has been an open secret ever since the Runaways. She's not bi. You want her to be, but she's been in the public eye a long time and nothing, nothing has ever suggested that she is. Sorry.

r39, I appreciate what you're saying. But, the thing is, she's never been linked to ANYONE- girl or guy, unless you count Cherrie Currie of Runaways admitting that Joan got in on with her and that Joan had great love-making skills. But, that could easily be chalked up to being nothing more than the wild escapades of experimental teen girls.

Hence, since she's never been officially linked to ANYONE - whether man or woman, why should we be so sure she's exclusive to women?

Just to be clear though, I really have zero problem with her being a lesbian. But, I was just curious how people can be so confidant that she is, when really, there's a lack of evidence on both sides.

by Anonymousreply 43May 16, 2017 3:50 AM

r41- Me neither! It ages her like 15 years or so!

by Anonymousreply 44May 16, 2017 3:52 AM

cont. r43 Regarding that blog post being fantasy or not, I'm inclined to believe it, as I've read other things from other people about Joan that totally supports what that man says took place.

by Anonymousreply 45May 16, 2017 3:56 AM

This has got to be one of the weirdest interview shows ever! I liked it though- even if one of the factoids revealed in this is literally disgusting- and Joan shockingly takes all the credit for the grossness! Watch, and you'll see what I mean...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 16, 2017 4:04 AM

I met her briefly, around 2000 or so. She signed my jeans and I can still remember how nice her touch felt- I wasn't even a huge fan or anything, she just had that much sexual charisma. She definitely had an aura around her.

by Anonymousreply 47May 16, 2017 4:12 AM

r47- Ah, I can just imagine! What a fantastic memory. Hopefully, I'll have a similarly great experience with her someday. Thanks for sharing!

by Anonymousreply 48May 16, 2017 4:17 AM

P.S. "Sexual charisma" is right! I don't think I've ever seen a more sexual celeb in my life. And it's ironic, as she's really not a sex symbol, the way Madonna, Monroe, J. Lopez, and others are, yet she has that sexual something that permeates every single thing she does. As I said, with the others, it's merely a gimmick, but with Joan, it's her soul. Her libido drives her daily.

by Anonymousreply 49May 16, 2017 4:24 AM

As I grow older, that whole Runaways/Joan Jett thing has palled. Especially after I found out that Kim Fowley rape story was about Jackie, and Joan laughed, and then Joan hooked up with him again because of that third rate movie..

by Anonymousreply 50May 16, 2017 4:26 AM

I love how Joan makes orgasm noises in the middle of this song. Some of the sexiest moaning I'v ever heard!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 16, 2017 4:31 AM

Here's Joan during her millennial bald and buff period. Almost unrecognizable compared to her 2007/2008 look, but still sexy as heck!

And this particular concert video is especially amusing, because she adorably stops a fight in the audience, starting around the 41 minute mark, then beginning at the 50 minute mark, she tells them to bark like little doggies and then gives them advice to relax and feel and not worry who is watching. THEN, she teases them in the most sensual allusion to foreplay, by suddenly commanding they stop- "Not yet" she says in a breathy voice full of arousal "It's all about timing" she concludes, as the most sly, sexual smile crosses her face! This woman is a master at it!

So, adding to the things I love about her:

1] Friendly and thoughtful

2] Mysterious and seemingly wise

3] Uninhibited displays of pure lust and gusto,

4] The way she is so gentle, flirtatious, and fun with her audience,

5] Her way of speaking and being,

6] the fact that her libido is truly her life-force...

I'm sure I could go on and on, but I'll leave it there for now. What a woman!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 16, 2017 5:04 AM

I think she's into S&M and frequents bondage clubs.

by Anonymousreply 53May 16, 2017 5:08 AM

r53- Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. In fact, I read a comment from someone who had mentioned her being seen at a bondage club in NY, and how ALL THE GIRLS were trying to pick her up!

The only thing I hate about all that, is that I once was connected to a woman online who frequented those types of sex clubs, and she was one of the most hypocritical, annoying people I've ever known. And therefore, I tend to associate anything related to that woman as being bad. I know that's not fair, and logically, I don't want to, but she was just an arrogant exhibitionist, as far as I could see. I don't see Joan as being that way though.

by Anonymousreply 54May 16, 2017 5:18 AM

P.S. To anyone who might know, what are those bondage clubs all about anyway? Do people just have sex with each-other there in the club? I don't know, but those clubs seem dangerous and seedy to me. I love Joan's lust and passion, but the idea of her at a seedy bondage club full of people who literally want to whip her just doesn't appeal to me.

by Anonymousreply 55May 16, 2017 5:22 AM

OP R52, that's her when she was doing Rocky Horror.

My friend, who was the sound person, was indeed sleeping with her on tour for a few years.

This was after Kathleen Hannah.

by Anonymousreply 56May 16, 2017 5:42 AM

R56- And your friend is a lesbian? Why did they break up? Who broke it off, Joan or your friend? Or, was it understood by both of them just to be a fling, so that there was no "break-up"?

by Anonymousreply 57May 16, 2017 5:54 AM

R56- Come to think of it, Joan and your friend must have been pretty serious about each-other, cause it was around that time that Joan kept like a wedding band on her ring finger- unless it was just for decoration. Do you know?

Now I'm wondering if that's who Joan wrote FETISH about... if so, I am severely jealous of your friend!

By the way, what about Kathleen Hannah? Did she and Joan have a romance too?

by Anonymousreply 58May 16, 2017 6:02 AM

This video of Joan meeting the guy her opened for her backstage was awkward but cute at the same time. I think Joan was feeling bashful at times here too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 16, 2017 9:01 AM

Anyone notice that Joan is kinda starting to sound like an older Lucille Ball when she talks? In this video here, Joan sounds like Lucy from her HERE'S LUCY days. But, Joan doesn't smoke like Lucy did, proving that voices getting deeper can just happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 16, 2017 9:04 AM

" Regarding that blog post being fantasy or not, I'm inclined to believe it, as I've read other things from other people about Joan that totally supports what that man says took place."

You believe everything you read? The things you've read "from other people" may be total fiction as well. Don't you know that people love to make up stories about how they've had sex with or "made out" with some famous person? You take shit like that as the gospel truth? That's not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 61May 16, 2017 9:20 PM

r61- I know you mean well in your comments and that what you're saying is true. Of course you can't believe everything you read. I certainly don't. What I do is read between the lines, combine what others have said with my gut instinct, with things that Joan herself has said, etc.

If I believe something I read, it isn't because I automatically believe everything I read is true. It's because whatever I read made sense to me. Now, how can we argue with each-other about our own sense of truth or instinct? The fact is, we can't. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 62May 17, 2017 12:55 AM

This best describe my feelings for OP, Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 63May 17, 2017 1:07 AM

And why is that, r63?

Do you just like bothering people and hurting their feelings or what?

by Anonymousreply 64May 17, 2017 1:09 AM

OP, thank you for cuing these YT videos.

by Anonymousreply 65May 17, 2017 1:09 AM

R65- You're welcome sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 66May 17, 2017 1:10 AM

I got to see JJ a number of times in ATL in the 80's and of all the concerts I've been to, she was the best. Most of the shows were general admission so we got there early to get the front row. She would make eye contact and it felt like it was just you she was looking at, it's hard to explain. but my straight friends had the same experience.

by Anonymousreply 67May 17, 2017 1:29 AM

I love how much time and attention Joan gives to the US armed forces. She cares about our men and women in uniform, and in turn, they adore her. It's so sweet to see!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 17, 2017 4:16 AM

Another thought about Joan, for those who said she seems strange or different due to the way she lives her life- the way I see her, she's married to her music. It was a calling, like when someone becomes a nun, it's a calling. She was compelled to live the rocker life- the TRUE rocker life, not the celeb thing, but the free, road warrior who sings thing.

So, is she weird for not being married, having kids, being in a Ellen/Portia type settled relationship? Maybe. Well, are nuns weird? Are missionaries who spend their life globe-trotting for a cause weird? Maybe. But, I like that kind of weird.

Joan is a woman of her calling, she's true to it. I admire that.

by Anonymousreply 69May 17, 2017 4:29 AM

P.S. And you know the best part? It means rather than give herself to one person and living the married life, the mommy life, or what have you, Joan has chosen to give herself to ALL OF US instead, by way of her time and music. She belongs to all of us. :-)

by Anonymousreply 70May 17, 2017 4:46 AM

I wish I had written this for her. Can relate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 17, 2017 5:12 AM

Great vid of Joan in Afghanistan! She's not afraid to get close to the combat zones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 18, 2017 9:07 AM

Another cool Joan military video- this one kinda funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 18, 2017 9:10 AM

I love how good she is at signing things for people too. Watch near the end here, when a Chinese girl who can't speak good English asks Joan to sign for her...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 18, 2017 9:16 AM

She's so good to her public- even telling when they can catch her again later, in case she misses signing for anyone. Thoughtful lady!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 18, 2017 9:25 AM

...In essence, Joan is everything a rocker should be! <3

by Anonymousreply 76May 18, 2017 9:29 AM

This is interesting; a full concert of The Runaways!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 19, 2017 3:24 AM

I adore watching Joan in this video! Such a cutie, and this was a great Gary Glitter cover!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 19, 2017 5:06 AM

She's Monica Lewinsky's long lost twin in this one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 19, 2017 6:51 AM

Good gosh, she's cute here! That body language, those gestures, that smile! AND that sweet hair-style! What a honey! What a babe!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 19, 2017 7:12 AM

Joan is proud of her privacy and has said that celebs should maintain an air of mystery- not to say too much, so that all the audience feels included rather than excluded. I admired that about her. She was a liberal who wasn't keen on insulting or otherwise alienating any conservatives in her fan-base. I LOVED that! But then, she went against her own grain by doing a PSA in 2014, urging everyone to vote for pro-abortion candidates.

Well, somebody needs to show her this:

Joan's hero had an abortion, and has regretted it every day since! You see, these pro-choice people might mean well, but an abortion is not as simple as a matter of choice- it's not like the choice to get a mole removed or something. This abortion "choice" has a major impact psychologically, emotionally, and spiritually. You can't just re-do it later on, like a bad hair-cut. You can't just forget about it either. It's always there as a bleak memory. And even the most ardent atheists probably will suffer a bit of guilt about the life they terminated. Because there is always the possibility that they are wrong, and that they really did terminate a life- not just a mass of cells. And that's a heavy burden to carry for the rest of your days.

Therefore, if we really cared about women, we would be actively DISCOURAGING them from the pro-choice stance, not encouraging it like some moral high-ground, lest others end up filled with sad regret for the rest of their lives, just like Joan's girlhood role-model, Suzi Quatro!

I still love ya, Joan. I just wish you would't be so anti the other side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 19, 2017 7:28 PM

Here's the PSA to which I refer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 19, 2017 7:32 PM

And, here's another article talking about the regret Suzi Quatro has felt ever since her abortion.

P.S. I am almost sure my own mother once had an abortion too. She was pro-choice for many years, but once she actually made the choice, it seems, that changed her. She has been anti-abortion ever since. It seems like people who will never actually have to have abortions support it more than those who do. That should tell us something...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83May 19, 2017 7:37 PM

This one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 19, 2017 7:38 PM

Anyone know what her Runaways band mates said about her in their books? I know Lita Ford's book, LIVING LIKE A RUNAWAY is considered fabulous. So, if anyone here has read it, if there is anything interesting about Joan in it, do tell!

by Anonymousreply 85May 26, 2017 3:10 AM

[quote]Joan Jett watched her Jackie Fox et raped, used to laugh about it with her other band mates, then lied about the guy even raping Jackie Fox. She ain't shit.

r6- You are terribly mistaken about that. That's Jackie Fox's story NOW, but on her old blog years ago, she specifically addressed the question of sexual abuse in the band, saying that nothing like that ever took place, and that the rape Cherie was alluding to in her book, NEON ANGEL, was a figment of her imagination. Jackie even went so far as to beg Cherie to remove that chapter, for the sake of decency, claiming that Cherie was making stuff up to make her book more marketable.

So, why then, should we suddenly believe that the rape happened, and that SHE of all people, was the one raped? The fact that she comes out with these claims AFTER Kim Fowley dies, and right around the same time that Joan is being inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame should be lost on no-one. It's a little too coincidental.

by Anonymousreply 86May 26, 2017 3:48 AM

Suzi Quatro is an idiot. She thinks she's some kind of role model, but all she was just a seventies glam rock act that produced some novelty hits. She was big in England but never really made it in the United States. Still, she has an ego like you wouldn't believe and frequently refers to herself in the third person. She's quoted as saying "I will retire when I go onstage, shake my ass, and there is silence."

by Anonymousreply 87May 26, 2017 11:25 PM

r88, Why so harsh about Suzi Quatro? Is it because she regrets her abortion? Cherie Currie regrets hers too.

I do think Suzi is underwelming as an entertainer, but I respect her at a certain level, and I think it was very sweet how much Joan admired her. I'm not sure Joan would want her fans to diss Suzi.

by Anonymousreply 88May 26, 2017 11:32 PM

I don't know about that, R87 but I recently saw some papped photos of her and her hubby and she looked like she was surgically unaltered with natural gray hair - the complete opposite of JJ who looks like a wax figure with all of the fillers, botox, cheek implants, hair coloring and God knows what else.

by Anonymousreply 89May 26, 2017 11:33 PM

r89- The fact that JJ wants to take care of herself and make a good impression is a positive thing, no matter how she goes about it, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 90May 26, 2017 11:35 PM

ALWAYS loved Joan Jett! Always thought she was beautiful and butch at the same time.

Loved her music and she's turned into quite the sweetie the past few decades - she's established and no longer needs to put on the 'tough' persona.

Wish she'd have a comeback. And she looks absolutely fantastic - and always has - not easy to do.

by Anonymousreply 91May 26, 2017 11:36 PM

I agree, r91. I'm VERY PROUD of Joan. She's humble, modest, and kind. I get a real sense of warmth radiating from her. I don't like some of per politics, like her Pro-Choice stance, or that she's gotten involved in some lawsuits in the past, but other than that, I have tremendous respect for the woman. She seems to be a rocker for all the right reasons, free of the ego trap, and freedom-loving. She's like a bird... like a soaring eagle.

by Anonymousreply 92May 26, 2017 11:44 PM

I'll have what you're having.

by Anonymousreply 93May 26, 2017 11:46 PM

No way, r93- SHE'S MINE!

by Anonymousreply 94May 26, 2017 11:51 PM

" Why so harsh about Suzi Quatro?"

In the articles I've read about her she comes across as an egotistical asshole. And she's always reiterating about she's sex on a stick (in her mind, anyway). When she first started getting press in America in the seventies I recall this quote from her "If I were to let my feelings out into my body I'd be the biggest whore in the business."

by Anonymousreply 95May 27, 2017 12:01 AM

"I'm not sure Joan would want her fans to diss Suzi."

Her fans probably don't even know who Suzi is.

by Anonymousreply 96May 27, 2017 12:02 AM

Agreed R96 - Suzi Q. didn't really have a large N. American audience - she hit big in UK, but not here. And it was a good 7 years before Joan's solo career. .

by Anonymousreply 97May 27, 2017 12:09 AM

r96- But, ya gotta figure that if someone is really interested in Joan, they'll learn about Joan. And, to learn about Joan is to learn about Suzi- since Suzi was part of Joan's development. I'm a fan of Joan, and through her, I've learned about lots of other people.

by Anonymousreply 98May 27, 2017 12:25 AM

OP is creepy and this thread is almost as sad and creepy as the AIKC thread.

by Anonymousreply 99May 27, 2017 12:30 AM

[quote]" Why so harsh about Suzi Quatro?" In the articles I've read about her she comes across as an egotistical asshole. And she's always reiterating about she's sex on a stick (in her mind, anyway). When she first started getting press in America in the seventies I recall this quote from her "If I were to let my feelings out into my body I'd be the biggest whore in the business."

r95- I see that as just her trying to be funny. I do think she can come across as crass sometimes, but I seriously doubt that's her intent. She strikes me as a wanna-be comedian, and I see these remarks by her as an attempt to show how fun and likable she is. It may have been lost in translation, but there's something to be said for a good-time girl.

by Anonymousreply 100May 27, 2017 12:32 AM

r99 is a troll who pops up on threads from time to time, just to try and ruin them. The sad and lonely troll shall not succeed, however; this thread shall persevere. Hence, r99 best join us, cause he sure as heck ain't gonna beat us!

by Anonymousreply 101May 27, 2017 12:34 AM

[quote] it's popular to hate her now because of some scandals involving her first band.

No, it's not. It's 2017. There's nothing popular about Joan Jett or any of your threads.

[quote] But, daggon' it, I love her, and she seems pretty nice for the most part.

Please stay off the internet. Home spun goodness belongs elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 102May 27, 2017 12:36 AM

Joan would like a word with the meanies of Data Lounge:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 27, 2017 12:48 AM

I met her in 1987 or 88 at a small club in Cleveland sometime after the film Light of Day was released. She played a rocking set then hung out with everyone for an hour or so. Everyone tried to buy her drinks but she said no I'm good but you all have a good time. Very cool lady.

by Anonymousreply 104May 27, 2017 12:51 AM

What a nice memory, r104! She does seem like a genuinely cool lady. <3

by Anonymousreply 105May 27, 2017 1:07 AM

Just for the record Suzi Q. has been quite vocal about her belief that Joan stole her look, sound and career. She's kinda bitter about it.

by Anonymousreply 106May 27, 2017 1:13 AM

She may think that, r106, but really, they don't look or sound very similar at all. Joan was a teen girl coming into her own. And, all kids model themselves after people older than them until they figure out who they are. Joan also modeled herself after Liza Minnelli to a certain extent. And today, she's sort of a mish-mesh of both of them. But, aren't we all a mish-mesh of all our influences?

There is no such thing as a complete original. We all build onto those that came before us. That's just the way it is. I can understand Suzi's irritation that Joan became more famous than her, but for her own sake, she should rise above that, and just be flattered that Joan adored her so much. If Suzi had given Joan more of the attention she craved, rather than ignore her so much of the time, they could have been great friends and career allies.

by Anonymousreply 107May 27, 2017 1:31 AM

r106...Speaking of Suzi being vocal about Joan sort of copy-catting her, can you tell me where she's said it? The most I've read is a little comment here and there about how often Joan attended Suzi's shows, and how she had her hair-do. But, I didn't sense any bitterness from those comments, more like bemusement.

Anyhow, many fans seem to think Suzi resents Joan (I've read that on other sites too). But, it puzzles me as to when this resentment may have come about. Because when going through old pictures of Joan from her RUNAWAYS days, Suzi appears in quite a few photos with her. So, the fact that they supposedly aren't friends now is rather odd.

by Anonymousreply 108May 27, 2017 1:46 AM

"She strikes me as a wanna-be comedian, and I see these remarks by her as an attempt to show how fun and likable she is."

You must be a dumb crazy troll because nobody in the world would characterize Suzi Quatro as a "comedian" who is attempting to "show how fun and likable she is."

by Anonymousreply 109May 27, 2017 1:56 AM

r109- You haven't watched very much from her, have you? She's ALWAYS trying to be funny. And, not very nice to throw around the "troll" word just cause you don't understand something. Geez!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 27, 2017 2:01 AM

"You haven't watched very much from her, have you? She's ALWAYS trying to be funny. And, not very nice to throw around the "troll" word just cause you don't understand something. Geez!"

What's to "understand" about Suzi Quatro, you cluck? By the way the comment she made about letting her feelings out into her body and being a whore was not an attempt to be "funny." That was her image back in those days; a hot and horny rough and tough rock chick. She really laid it on thick (or her managers did): leather jumpsuit, thumping on a big bass guitar, making statements like: "guitar is for the head, drums are for the chest, but bass gets you in the groin."

As for her being "nice" and "likable"...well, here's something from a comment section on an interview she gave:

"Saw her once at Frankfurt airport having a screaming tantrum because our flight had been delayed."

by Anonymousreply 111May 27, 2017 2:13 AM

r111- Yeah, well you're the same person who said that you've never read anything to suggest Joan is "nice" which is bull, because almost every story I've ever read from anyone who's bumped into her has been nice.

I'm not denying that Suzi can be a diva, but that doesn't mean she hasn't tried to be funny and likable too.

by Anonymousreply 112May 27, 2017 2:17 AM

Joan has no pretense of diva attitude whatsoever, and I love that about her! In fact, she's so nice, that when people recognize her offstage and at hotels or whatever, she'll gladly pose for pictures with them or whatever, as this video shows.

Only, the paranoid lady who met her didn't appreciate it at all, go figure. It's a shame that Joan's friendliness ended up being used against her in this video, but it's good in a way, as it just proves yet again how lucky us fans are to like such a sweet star!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113May 27, 2017 2:29 AM

This thread really is kind of creepy. Joan is a rock legend, but the incessant fawning is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 114May 27, 2017 4:39 AM

Joan was a grown woman of 20 during this interview, or at least 19. But, she sure doesn't sound like it! I know 14 to 16 year-olds who sound older than her! Behold this baby voice... it's really quite adorable. Remarkable how much her voice changed just 3 or so short years later though. Like, why the heck and how the heck?!

Anyways, listen to this little cutie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115May 27, 2017 4:44 AM

r114 You're kinda creepy.

by Anonymousreply 116May 27, 2017 4:48 AM

P.S. r114- Be honest- if this thread was full of criticisms of Joan, you would call those people trolls. But, since most people are complimentary to her, you call it "creepy". You're just a party-pooper.

by Anonymousreply 117May 27, 2017 5:15 AM

This woman will sign anything- even drum symbols! She even signed a roll of toilet paper once! Many celebs are snooty to autograph hounds and refuse to sign or are picky about what they sign, but not Joan- she seems cool with'em, which is cool with me!

I think probably the reason Joan is so easy-going and compliant is because she was a fan first and foremost, before she was ever a star (which is not always the case with actors and musicians- somee of them make movies without being movie fans or do music without being music fans, for example). She knows how it is to be star-struck. So, she respects us more than most would, I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118May 27, 2017 5:27 AM

Speaking of Rodney, after 40+ years on the air, KROQ laid him off

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119May 27, 2017 5:29 AM

[quote] if this thread was full of criticisms of Joan, you would call those people trolls. But, since most people are complimentary

Most people? When does a demented septuagenarian who talks to himself through self responses on DL = people?

by Anonymousreply 120May 27, 2017 5:31 AM

r120- Not once on this thread have I talked to myself, you nut! Now, if you don't like this thread, then get lost! I'm not asking you to stick around!

by Anonymousreply 121May 27, 2017 5:38 AM

Hey stan... your sounding nutz

by Anonymousreply 122May 27, 2017 5:43 AM

Okay people, I'm having an argument on another site with someone who insists that Joan is a horrible person, and says that the fact that the Runaways reunion never happened when Sandy West was alive begging for it just proves what a horrible person Joan is. I told this person that unless we spoke to Joan ourselves during that time, then we can't know. What do you all think?

I personally hate that Sandy didn't get her wish, and yeah, if it was because of Joan, then I hate that too. But, maybe Joan had a good reason?

by Anonymousreply 123May 27, 2017 5:44 AM

You are obssessed with Joan, stop it.

by Anonymousreply 124May 27, 2017 5:56 AM

r124- And you are obsessed with this thread. You stop it!

In fact, anyone who's got a problem with this can just scoot on outta here right now!

by Anonymousreply 125May 27, 2017 6:01 AM

I just found this thread 5 minutes ago and summed you up pretty fast. A bit cray cray it seems. Just don't go near her, ever.

Over and out.

by Anonymousreply 126May 27, 2017 6:04 AM

r126- The only crazy person here is anyone who tries to ruin a good thread with petty insults like you are now. So, how'bout you don't come near this thread or any thread ever? Keep your negativity to yourself. Over and out.

by Anonymousreply 127May 27, 2017 6:07 AM

It's like Saved By the Bell College Years in here. It's so awful but I can't look away.

by Anonymousreply 128May 27, 2017 6:12 AM

Vicki Blue made a Runaways documentary that she has to unravel and redo when Joan refused to let her use Runaways music.

by Anonymousreply 129May 27, 2017 6:20 AM

If I block the OP how much of this thread will disappear? 80%?

by Anonymousreply 130May 27, 2017 6:21 AM

Joan Jett is one of my favorite rockers...PERIOD. Male or female. I've loved Joan and her music since I first beheld her as a young teen back in the early 80's, where she lit up MTV with her unique style and sound.

She's a total badass. She made a closeted gayling like me, feel more secure in my own skin, because Joan defiantly put her own stereotype busting persona out there. And she did it in the conservative, Reagan era 80's, boys only club. In their fug, smug faces. Well done J.J.

My playlists are filled with Joan Jett's jams. My favorite is the S&M, drag-a-liscious The French Song. I have never given a flying fuck about critics and their prissy opinions. I've always liked what I like, through my OWN personal tastes and filter, not someone else's.

We agree R91, and share the same opinions about Joan.

R99 - Fuck you. What does me or my thread have to do with Joan Jett?

by Anonymousreply 131May 27, 2017 6:35 AM

R28 Debbie and Joan definitely have used the same cosmetic surgeon. Joan's few years old lift looks amazingly like the subtle but dramatic one that Debbie had circa- 2002, the same one that made her look years younger but opened up her brow and eye shape a little.

They have been close friends for many years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132May 27, 2017 7:14 AM

r119- Whoa! What a coincidence that I start listening to his old broadcasts with Joan mere days before he's let. And that he was let go the day I post that interview is rather bizarre. Sad to hear about his being let go. I know how big an impact he had on Joan. It's funny that Cherie Currie is quoted in the article but not Joan, considering how much he meant to her musical development. But, she stays so busy on the road, maybe she couldn't be reached.

r129- Yeah, I read about that. It's unfortunate. But, Joan seems like a great gal to me, so all I can figure is that there's more to the story than we know. Because I can't see a down-to-earth, friendly woman like Joan refusing a dying woman's wish or quashing her former band-mate's project just for the heck of it. There's gotta be more to this... That being said, it is a shame.

To anyone interested, here's Vicki's documentary. As I understand it, Joan's main reason for not participating in it was because she disapproved of the negative tone it took (thanks to what her band-mates were saying during interviews). Here it is, anyway:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133May 27, 2017 7:25 AM

r132- I like Debbie Harry as an entertainer. She's a lot of fun. But, as a person, she can be a bit of a drag, if videos of her with fans and autograph hounds are any indication. From what I've see, sometimes (but not always), she can be quite standoffish and come across as rather cold and indifferent to her fans during photo ops, etc. Also, unlike Joan, she appears to be generally picky about what she'll sign. For example, one person brought her a guitar to sign once, and she refused, saying "I don't sign guitars, dear" or something. She also refused to sign a certain album someone brought to her.

Now, so far, I've never seen that kind of diva attitude coming from Joan, and I hope she never has it. Hence, the fact that she's friends with Debbie is a tad concerning, in that regard. But, maybe Joan's better disposition will rub off on Debbie.

by Anonymousreply 134May 27, 2017 7:36 AM

I don't know why some people make such short videos! I mean, it's annoying not to get more of the context of the situation, but anyway, from the gist of this short little thing, I gather that Joan did this fan a favor. That's my girl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135May 27, 2017 7:48 AM

That photo of The Runaways at R133 is telling. Sandy West looks uncomfortable. No doubt the photographer was telling the girls "look sexy!" and she wasn't sure what to do. Joan looks puzzled; I don't think she knew how to be girlish and vampish; even in those days she was butch. Jackie Fox and LIta Ford look ridiculous: little girls trying to be sexy women. Cherie Currie, corseted and heavily made up and bright blonde, is the only one in the photo able to pull off the sexy act but maybe it's because she's so scantily clad. Anyway, it's kind of a sad photo. :They were just a group of not very bright young teens who were playing as rock stars, used and manipulated by an unscrupulous manager, the dreaded Kim Fowley.

by Anonymousreply 136May 27, 2017 11:54 PM

OP is a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 137May 28, 2017 12:44 AM

[quote]They were just a group of not very bright young teens who were playing as rock stars, used and manipulated by an unscrupulous manager, the dreaded Kim Fowley.

That's debatable, r136. I don't think Fowley was as bad as people like to believe now. It's easy to talk trash about people, but that doesn't make it true. People just hunger for trash though, so they'll believe it.

Besides, when you say they were a bunch of "not very bright" teens, I have to ask, how bright did they need to be? They weren't trying to be Doogie Howser types. Being a rock star doesn't exactly require high SAT scores. That being said, I do agree that at least a couple of them weren't too bright, they being Sandy West (who ended up in trouble with the law), and Cherie Currie (who ended up pregnant and getting a regretful abortion while in THE RUNAWAYS). But, the others seem pretty smart to me, even Joan. I've read and heard stories of her being promiscuous during that time, but if so, she certainly never let it get in the way of anything. Hence, we never heard any abortion stories about her- hopefully because she never had to have any. If the way a person talks and sounds is any indication though, I would say Joan was probably the most innocent of the girls, if not in experience, then in essence. Because if you'll notice, she always sounded more childlike and naive than the rest of them during interviews. But, I think every successful rock star needs a bit of that child-like quality to even think that such a grandiose life is even possible. Joan's precociousness obviously infused her with a drive to succeed that is less ruthless and more infectious. So, I'd say she's pretty bright as far as that goes.

[quote] Joan looks puzzled [in that picture]; I don't think she knew how to be girlish and vampish; even in those days she was butch.

Yeah, an adorable butch! The way you describe her is precisely a huge part of what made her so cute (and yes, I dare say, sexy). Joan has, and always has had, massive sex-appeal. She's the perfect example of someone who's probably equally as attractive to men and women.

by Anonymousreply 138May 28, 2017 12:53 AM

Thank you, r137!

by Anonymousreply 139May 28, 2017 12:54 AM

[quote]My playlists are filled with Joan Jett's jams. My favorite is the S&M, drag-a-liscious The French Song.

r131- Hey, that's my favorite too! It's nice to see some appreciation for a song of hers other than BAD REP or I LOVE RnR.

The best part of THE FRENCH SONG is that Joan helped write it. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole song wasn't her idea in the first place, delightfully sensual, unabashedly sexual woman that she is! (^_^)

by Anonymousreply 140May 28, 2017 1:14 AM

P.S. And my other favorite of hers is FETISH (which she wrote all on her own. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about Joan (and me), then nothing does, haha! I also love her cover of I WANT TO BE YOUR DOG.

Here's my favorite version of her singing FETISH (beginning at about the 3:50 mark):

Check out that gyrating hip action when she gets into the music for it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141May 28, 2017 1:21 AM

"But, the others seem pretty smart to me, even Joan. "

Have you ever read the infamous Crawdaddy article about the Runaways by Charles M. Young? He liked them; in the article he told Kim Fowley "I'm in love with all five of them." What a perv. Anyway, the article revealed ALL of the Runaways to be as dumb as rocks. even Jackie Fox, she of the supposedly genius IQ. She was quoted as saying “The biggest drag is to meet some guy you like and he won’t go out with you because you’re jailbait,” she says. Well, duh! Someone should have told Miss Know It All that they don't call it "jailbait" for nothing. They were dumb little girls.

by Anonymousreply 142May 28, 2017 1:25 AM

r142- How was he a perv for saying what he was expected to say? The girls were meant to be sexually enticing, and people were meant to be in-love with them, or else, why bother?

As for Jackie's quote, I think you over-estimate the sincerity of it. It could have very well been a tongue-in-cheek comment not meant to be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 143May 28, 2017 1:39 AM

The award for sexiest bald headed woman goes to... Joan Jett! She was SO HOT during this time; perfectly fit body, maturity in her voice, overt sensuality... She's just yummy!

I'm almost sorry she ever left this phase, but it wouldn't suite her now, what with her change in physic now and all... But, at least we have this to look back on. It's amazing how much one person can change. She's been ultra feminine AND ultra masculine (a period of time when she could probably bed any chick she wanted!). I don't know how she's even the same person!

The nice thing is, there's a little something to like in every version of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144May 28, 2017 2:27 AM

[quote]what with her change in physic

Oops! I meant *physique*

by Anonymousreply 145May 28, 2017 2:29 AM

" How was he a perv for saying what he was expected to say? The girls were meant to be sexually enticing, and people were meant to be in-love with them, or else, why bother?"

Who "expected him" to say that? He said it because he had the hots from girls who ranged in age from 15 to 17. And there was no "love" involved in the image that the Runaways projected. It was all about sex.

They were teenage girls. Underage teenage girls. They were promoted as sex objects at that age, which was pretty nasty. You sound like a perv yourself.

It's really funny how whenever someone like Suzi Quatro or Jackie Fox says something stupid you keep saying oh, they're just joshing around, being funny, being tongue-in-cheek. You always have an excuse for their stupidity. That pretty...stupid.

by Anonymousreply 146May 28, 2017 2:32 AM

r146- Hey man, if I'm a perv, then so is Joan and the rest of the gang, so I'm in good company! Chill.

by Anonymousreply 147May 28, 2017 2:36 AM

Okay, does anyone else find Miley Cyrus' opening speech about Joan highly uncomfortable? First of all, she opens with "I'd like to tell you about the first time I ever wanted to have sex with Joan Jett". Uh, t.m.i. as Joan might say! I know she meant well, but wrong time and place, girly! It's like, if you're serious, get a room.

She also details Joan's efforts to hide the smell of where she'd been smocking marijuana in her hotel room. Then, she proceeds to disclose that they "smoked together". How tacky!

And perhaps most awkward of all was any part of Joan's and Miley's speech having to do with Kenny Laguna. First, Miley says that when she first met Joan (for the first time) at the hotel, Kenny was lying in the bed. THEN she says that Joan and Kenny love each-other more than some married couples! And, to make it even more obvious just HOW MUCH they love each-other, Joan then refers to Kenny in her speech as her "best friend, business partner, and soul-mate" or something. I totally cringed at that, because I just kept thinking of Kenny's wife, Meryl, and wondering HOW in the world she's not jealous or feeling left out in some way. It's also worth noting that in Kenny's speech, he refers to his wife as his business and life partner and he thanks her--BUT--he never says he loves her. I know LOVE is just a word, however, given all the gushy platitudes that had been used up to that point by others, one would think that the wife of all people, would get that word thrown her way during an important speech. So, it was odd. It begs the question of how in the world Kenny and his wife have managed to stay married all these years without Joan's closeness coming between them.

For the record, it's really nobody's business but theirs, I realize that. However, when public speeches are made, the public's curiosities and questions are stirred. It's only natural. And, there are only two answers I can come up with: 1] Kenny and his wife are in an open relationship, so where the wife lacks in companionship with Kenny (especially while he's busy on the road with Joan), she gets elsewhere. And/or 2] They see Joan as no threat, due to her lesbian leaning, and therefore, she and Kenny are like siblings?... I don't know. I'm just trying to make sense of it. I don't know why, but there you go.

Just as an aside though, as off-putting as I may have found those speeches for various reasons (some already discussed), I still think it's lovely that Miley likes, loves, and admires Joan so much. And Joan, in turn, has expressed affection and pride in her. Same goes for Joan and Kenny's love. It's all definitely enviable in a big way, and I guess that's the problem; one gets tired of hearing others gush about how lucky they are to have each-other--especially when one would rather be in their shoes. But, it's nice all the same.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure Joan was prepared for some of the things Miley had to say. And, I could have gone my whole like without knowing that she and Joan were smoking weed in the hotel room, but now we know (what a pretty image that conjures- not). Thanks, Miley! :/

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148May 29, 2017 3:34 PM

Another comment re: Miley- she makes Joan look like Queen Elizabeth! In other words, she's taken the F-u punk thing a little far, in my opinion.

How can I explain... well, in speeches and interviews when Joan wasn't much older than Miley, she may have been a rocker, but she also had class. She showed that the two things weren't mutually exclusive. I get a classy, dignified vibe from Joan that I just don't get from Miley at all. Part of it is that Joan has always, typically, conducted herself with a humble air when voicing her opinions and everything. Even though she may have flipped the finger for the camera in her earliest years, one never got the sense that the finger was meant for anything but the camera. In fact, what comes across from Joan in most of her interviews is not only the purity of her love for rock and roll, but the purity of her respect for the audience. One gets the sense that Joan goes out of her way to weigh her words carefully, so as never to offend. By contrast, Miley gets up there and says f-you to people she doesn't agree with! Totally uncool.

The only time I've ever heard Joan be crude is during concerts sometimes when the audience is getting rowdy or when the sound-system isn't working right or something. Then, yeah she might drop some F-bombs. But, other than that, no.

I just can't figure out how a level-headed, classy woman like Joan can find affinity with someone like Miley. And for that matter, how could someone like Joan be so often asociated with the so-called RIOTTT GIRLLL movement of the 1990s? And, how she is okay with that is a mystery to me. Perhaps it's because she ended up friends with Kathleen Hanna and thus thought nothing of it, as one friend to another. But, there again, HOW could someone like Joan find any affinity with the angry musings of Kathleen Hanna that so permeated her music? Joan IS NOT an angry rocker. She IS NOT a so-called riot girl in any way, shape or form! She was headstrong, yes. But, more than that, she was happy- happy to be rocking to the music--just as she always says to her audiences---her main objective has always been TO HAVE FUN- and for them to dance and have fun too. And there is NOTHING fun about the so-called RIOTTT GIRLLL movement, or the co-opting and politicization of catchy music.

Friendships can't always be predicted, so if indeed she really is friends with these people, I understand. It happens. But, for her or anyone else to parlay that into meaning that she is somehow anything like them, is a severely unfair mis-characterization of who and what type of rocker, and therefore, person, Joan is.

by Anonymousreply 149May 30, 2017 12:54 AM

Behold my cool cutie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150May 31, 2017 8:46 PM

Watch her in the '80s movie, "Light of Day" with Michael J. Fox if you can find it. She was actually a pretty decent actress too.

I liked the stories in some book about Darby and the Germs where Joan had an apartment across the street from the Whiskey and everyone crashed there, including a very punky Belinda Carlisle. Imagine the tales that place could tell.

by Anonymousreply 151May 31, 2017 9:11 PM

Miley is a moron. Talk about cringe worthy.

by Anonymousreply 152May 31, 2017 11:58 PM

r152- I think Miley seems like a super friendly person, not gonna lie. But, she's also often crass and inconsiderate of others when she talks, as if "F-you" to anyone who doesn't think like her is her mantra. She has no chill whatsoever.

I wonder how close Miley and Joan actually are, or if it's mostly just a PR, business association?

by Anonymousreply 153June 1, 2017 1:14 AM

r151- Thanks for the suggestion! I found it online. Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but it's pretty good so far. I know Joan really loved working with Michael J. Fox and had great things to say about how supportive he was to her when she was learning the technique of how things work on a film. And, that's great. I think Michael must be one of the few truly nice actors out there, cause based on what I've read from people who've dealt with celebs on here and other sites, it seems like they are some of the most egotistical, difficult people on the planet! I don't know if it's an inborn trait that most movie-stars/big celebs posses, or if there's something about becoming famous that makes them that way, but it seems to be especially true of actors and actresses. And for that reason, I am glad that Joan keeps mostly with the music, cause I wouldn't want her to be like some of the horror-stories I've read on this site!

On another note, I was surprised to hear Joan basically describe how inept she felt as a newbie to film. She had wanted to be an actress ever since watching Liza Minnelli in one of her favorite films, CABARET. But, she said that when filming LIGHT OF DAY, Michael helped her a lot, because she knew nothing. But, the reason that surprises me is because she had appeared in so many fabulous music videos up to that point, and it seems to me that making a music video would be the same as making a feature film, only shorter. And on that note, I'll say that I wish she would have done more music videos back then; she was so darn cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 154June 1, 2017 3:37 AM

...One of my favorites (look at that lovely shape of hers!):

[But, who'm I kiddin'- I basically like them all!]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155June 1, 2017 3:43 AM

...And this one, with it's great shoo-bop sound!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156June 1, 2017 3:44 AM

...And one thing I've noticed is that her videos from the 1990s don't get enough love (everyone always mentions the 1980s ones but rarely the 90s ones). Here's one of my faves from that time:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157June 1, 2017 3:47 AM

...Her look reminds me of Isabella Rossellini in the above one (which is nice, cause Isabella is fab also). But, she also looked smashing in this one- with her bod in top form too! Like, so attractive!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158June 1, 2017 3:59 AM

...And, OF COURSE this is the cutest one of all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159June 1, 2017 4:02 AM

I especially like her hair in the one at r158!

by Anonymousreply 160June 1, 2017 4:03 AM

I've decided that THE FRENCH SONG at r155 is not only my favorite song by her, but my favorite video of hers as-well. Simply made to watch on repeat!

by Anonymousreply 161June 1, 2017 6:55 AM

...forgot to mention that when I watch THE FRENCH SONG, I get vivid fantasies of her being my girlfriend and saying those things to me. Too bad I couldn't have known her then; she's my dream-girl!

by Anonymousreply 162June 1, 2017 7:02 AM

This is interesting...

Joan says she smokes weed both for medical and recreational purposes. She claims that smoking it actually loosens up her vocal range, so that she can put on better shows. So, I got curious and did a search on the subject, and found this article, which claims the opposite--it says that marijuana has the same effect on the voice that cigarettes do. Long term, it can make the voice deeper, and scar the lungs, causing irreversible raspy-ness. The article concludes that over time, marijuana use can actually severely limit the vocal range, which is the exact opposite of what Joan has claimed.

I'm sorry, darling Joan, but I think you've got a bad case of wishful thinking goin' on.

If it helps her medically, great. But, she doesn't need to be under any illusions about it helping her voice, because from what I've read, that doesn't seem to be possible.

I've been wondering why her voice has gotten so gravely over the years (almost like Lucille Ball's did), since she doesn't smoke cigarettes. Well, I suppose this explains it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163June 1, 2017 7:57 AM

Joan is good-looking, sincere, and kind to her fans.

Her musical output is not very exciting.

by Anonymousreply 164June 1, 2017 10:21 AM

OP is a really gushy embarrassing fangurl who projects a lot and makes things up.

by Anonymousreply 165June 1, 2017 10:38 AM

r164, Typically, the set-list she sings at concerts is jam-packed full of hits which are so good, a person would want to hear them over and over again. However, they do tend to be her older songs. She has started including some of her newer songs too, like "Any Weather" and others, but admittedly, they aren't as memorable and won't be considered classics like her older songs.

So, I agree that her musical output has been on the weak side lately, but even so, it's nice to know she has such great hits of the past to draw from. And, although many malign her for doing so many covers, I have to say- I'd rather hear her covers than most of the originals, any day! No disrespect to the original artists, but Joan puts so much pizzazz in every one of her hit covers, that it's hard not to get happy, just hearing them! She infuses her songs with a kind of infectious joy (not to mention wonderful lusty energy). That might not sound "cool" to admit, but it's true, and that's why her biggest hits have stood the test of time.

It would be nice if she could have some new hits that are of the same caliber as her old ones- especially non-covers. One thing that can be said for her covers though- it does show that the lady has super taste in music, and she knows how to pump up a song too!

by Anonymousreply 166June 1, 2017 10:47 AM

Care to back that statement with evidence of the made-up stuff, r165? I'm sure we would all appreciate learning the truth about Joan once and for all! Enough of these sweet lies! I'm sure there has to be some way we can torch this thread, right? Just give us a match!

by Anonymousreply 167June 1, 2017 10:51 AM

r165, After learning about Miley's doozy of a speech inducting Joan into the R&R Hall of Fame, you have some nerve criticizing any "embarrassing" fangirling going on in this thread! At least it's not as bad as that was!

by Anonymousreply 168June 1, 2017 11:10 AM

Glad you found it, R154. I love the title song too. It's easy to forget but that was a period where Michael. J. Fox was MAJOR box office, post "Back to the Future", and trying to spread his wings as an actor too -- this, the NYC "Less than Zero"esque one, "Casualties of War". And he had absolutely no signs of Parkinsons yet, no gossip about him either. He was kind of an unlikely movie star ("Teen Wolf" of all things really did it) but a movie star just the same -- before he got sick and went back to TV.

And everyone loved Joan Jett at the time too, though she didn't have many Top 40 hits after "I Love Rock and Roll" for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 169June 1, 2017 10:21 PM

In this interview, begining at about the 7 minute mark, Suzi Quatro talks about how cute Joan was back when Joan would attend her concerts as a teen. How surreal!! Can you imagine your celeb-crush/hero saying you're cute and acknowledging being an influence on you? Just wow! Joan lived the dream, man. And she keeps livin' the dream.

Someone mentioned that they had seen both Joan and Suzi in concert in the 1970s and 80s, and that Joan had a punk attitude and made the fan feel rejected, whereas Suzi was very friendly to the fans. I found that an ironic statement, because Joan herself has mentioned that as a girl, she was totally ignored by someone she admired (who many suspect was Suzi) and that it bothered her so much, that she made a promise to herself never to treat her fans like that. So, if she did treat that fan poorly, maybe she was just having a bad day, I don't know.

Anyway, I enjoy hearing Suzi talk about Joan. I would like to hear about the first time they actually met- can you imagine how Joan must have felt then?! Like I said, live'n' the dream...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170June 2, 2017 8:49 PM

With all the Joan and Miley posts on this thread, it would be remiss not to share this video of them singing "Androgynous" together and also remiss not to mention why this video sort of misses the mark.

Watch and maybe the problem will jump out at you like it did me. I'm referring to the inclusion of trans musician, Laura Jane Grace in this video, singing this of all songs! The reason it doesn't work is because the song is about being happy with yourself and your gender (in other words NOT wanting to change sex), even if you blur the lines with your choice of style a bit. Hence, it's completely opposite of a trans person, who is NOT happy with themselves. That's the whole reason they transition.

Therefore, I'm not sure whose misguided idea it was to include Laura Jane Grace on this song, but I suspect it was Miley (though Joan is friends with both), and it was a major fail! Being trans is not being androgynous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171June 2, 2017 9:06 PM

...THIS would have been a much more appropriate song for a trans person to help sing with them:

The other one is just embarrassing. And, as nice as she might be, I think Joan's association with Miley doesn't help. Miley's vibe brings her down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172June 2, 2017 9:11 PM

Miley cheapens Joan. That's the truth.

by Anonymousreply 173June 2, 2017 9:12 PM

They all have them though- the famous fans who become famous themselves and end up becoming associated in some way with the other, for better or worse. For Madonna, it's Britney, for Miriah Carey, it's Ariana Grande, for Suzi Quatro, it's Joan, and for Joan, I guess it's Miley.

by Anonymousreply 174June 2, 2017 9:28 PM

That's not to say that Miley doesn't cheapen Joan though. I mean, I like Miley, but in all honesty, she does cheapen Joan.

by Anonymousreply 175June 2, 2017 9:30 PM

Kristen Stewart, on the other hand, doesn't bring Joan down at all! She was so spot-on as Joan in The Runaways movie, it's hard to believe it wasn't Joan! And they seem very similar in temperament and attitude in real life too. I wish Joan and Kristen were close, instead of Joan and Miley. That would be so cool!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176June 2, 2017 9:37 PM

For just a second, Kristen joined Joan on stage back in 2010. That was cute, but I realize it was all promotion for the movie. I guess they didn't hit it off enough to be actual friends later, which is too bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177June 2, 2017 9:42 PM

Get a load of this: An interview of Kristen Stewart on the set of The Runaways, dressed like Joan. But, look---she even chews gum like Joan!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178June 2, 2017 9:50 PM

Here's Joan talking about it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179June 2, 2017 9:52 PM

Switching gears a bit, here's a rather bizarre article about Joan being protested off of a Macey's Thanksgiving Parade float, by South Dakota cattle ranchers who said she was against their profession and that they therefore didn't want her riding on the float representing South Dakota.

My question is: why would Joan be riding on a float representing SD in the first place?

I wonder if it was just the parade organizers choosing a float for her, and that just happened to be the one, or if it was a deliberate move by Joan, to send a subliminal message to the ranchers of SD (sort of like she does with the stickers on her guitar)? But, that wouldn't quite make sense either, as she said she objected to bringing political agendas into what should just be a fun American tradition meant to entertain. Then again, she may have just said that because she was caught, haha. Who knows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180June 2, 2017 10:08 PM

Some of these people act like they don't even know who they're talking to, which makes this video especially cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181June 3, 2017 6:19 AM

re: r181 OMG, I just noticed that the man at the beginning of the video really didn't know who he was talking to! She introduces herself to him with "My name's Joan." Just "My name's Joan." Whoa!

by Anonymousreply 182June 3, 2017 6:28 AM

OP is def CREEPY.

Just as CREEPY as AIKC.

by Anonymousreply 183June 3, 2017 8:12 AM

R183- That's right, buddy- I'm creepy as creeks in the night! Creepy, and WILD as a howling wolf to the full moon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184June 3, 2017 9:09 AM

I just found out that today is Joan's girlhood rock hero, Suzi Quatro's birthday! What a coincidence, considering the posts from yesterday. Happy birthday, Suzi!

by Anonymousreply 185June 3, 2017 8:34 PM

OP? You sound like an idiot, so I apologize for not having read the whole thread.

That said, Joan often played a guitar with an S&M sticker (black & blue stripes with a red heart) prominently displayed on the front.

BTW, if you want to learn more about "the Scene," just look up a "munch" in your area. But don't be surprised if they catch on to you right away. They don't take too kindly to "tourists," i.e., people who are nosy and attend parties just to watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186June 3, 2017 10:08 PM

R186- What the heck? Why would you tell someone they sound like an idiot for asking an honest question?! I might sound like an idiot to you, but at least I'm not a jerk!

by Anonymousreply 187June 3, 2017 11:50 PM

[quote]That said, Joan often played a guitar with an S&M sticker (black & blue stripes with a red heart) prominently displayed on the front.

Correction: not "played" in the past tense. You act like a know-it-all, but you must not know that she STILL plays with that sticker on her main guitar!

by Anonymousreply 188June 3, 2017 11:53 PM

"In this interview, begining at about the 7 minute mark, Suzi Quatro talks about how cute Joan was back when Joan would attend her concerts as a teen. How surreal!! Can you imagine your celeb-crush/hero saying you're cute and acknowledging being an influence on you? Just wow! Joan lived the dream, man. And she keeps livin' the dream."

You mean you actually BELIEVE the bullshit celebrities say about other celebrities? They frequently gush about the talent of whoever because it makes them seem gracious nice, when in actuality they don't mean a word of it. Suzi Quatro it seems is no exception. Commenting on how "cute'" Joan Jett was while attending her concerts is pure PR, and she's laying the bullshit on pretty thick.

"Joan Lived the dream, man" And she keeps livin' the dream." Do you realize how retarded you sound? DO you? Or maybe that's the effect you're going for, so as to be as annoying as possible. It's becoming more and more obvious that you're a troll who keeps bumping up this stupid thread.

by Anonymousreply 189June 4, 2017 12:43 AM

r189- Stop being mean. It doesn't become you.

by Anonymousreply 190June 4, 2017 12:50 AM

R189 OP is the type of "fan" who celebrities are freaked out by.

by Anonymousreply 191June 4, 2017 1:59 AM

r189 is the type of "person" that people think is inhumane.

by Anonymousreply 192June 4, 2017 2:23 AM

[quote]It's becoming more and more obvious that you're a troll who keeps bumping up this stupid thread.

r189- So, by your criteria, anyone who tries to start a dialogue about a topic they enjoy in a thread they created is a troll. Ha, what a joke!

by Anonymousreply 193June 4, 2017 2:42 AM

OP answers everyone's comments too quickly.

OP = Creepy, fat, home alone, eating & off meds.

by Anonymousreply 194June 4, 2017 2:47 AM

r194 is a classic example of a hypocrite, because r194 just answered the last comment in aprox. 4 minutes! Hence, everything r194 said above probably applies to him/herself. Nice try though, r194. Now, either buzz off, or keep bumping up this thread with your inane comments, thus making it more prevalent on the site. Your choice.

by Anonymousreply 195June 4, 2017 2:54 AM

Police will be moving in on OP soon -- there's an agent dressed as a flower delivery guy approaching her door with a shotgun in the box. When the SWAT team moves through the house they will find every wall of every room literally plastered, covered with cut up photos of Joan Jett. Jett herself will be found in a well in the basement, quite quite dead.

OP will not be found, however. Her computer will be on, however, a half written reply on the datalounge flickering on the screen, the signature "the OP" written in the bar. An officer peering into the back yard will spy a flannel shirt disappearing into the woods....

by Anonymousreply 196June 4, 2017 3:04 AM

r196- Nice. You must have graduated at the top of your creative writing class!

by Anonymousreply 197June 4, 2017 3:07 AM

Here's a neat story shared by a commenter on another site: Joan had walked into a bar and grill where they were eating and ordered dinner there. This bar and grill had a house band, and when Joan came in as a costumer, they got excited and asked if she would sing while they played- which she did after she was done with her meal. It's not every day a singer would agree to do that just for fun, even for a mere song or two. Most would probably say they're off the job now, or they only do it for pay. But, Joan has rock and roll in her soul, and she just can't resist!

by Anonymousreply 198June 4, 2017 5:10 PM

[quote]You mean you actually BELIEVE the bullshit celebrities say about other celebrities? They frequently gush about the talent of whoever because it makes them seem gracious nice, when in actuality they don't mean a word of it.

r189, you mean you DON'T believe that it's possible that Suzi thought Joan was cute? You must be a real-life Scrooge.

Does this also mean that all the kissing up Miley does to Joan is fake too? Much as I might like to think so, I doubt it. I think Miley really feels strongly for Joan, and I think Suzi really did think Joan was cute (cause how could she not?). That's not to say that Suzi didn't also think Joan was a bit strange. But, strange and cute are not mutually exclusive things.

by Anonymousreply 199June 4, 2017 6:11 PM

R37/OP, did you even read that thing you linked to?

Here's the first sentence: "The title of this one is a little misleading, i’m not entirely sure if it actually WAS Joan Jett that I made out with, but let me tell you the story and you can decide for yourself."

Even the guy who claims to have made out with her was calling her a lesbian - and the woman he thinks might be Joan Jett wasn't denying it. So, even in this story which is meant to be evidence for her being straight, according to you, she is being defined as a lesbian and defines herself as one.

The rest of the encounter sounds like he was really confused and it wasn't Joan Jet or, if it was Joan Jet, she was really, really drunk.

by Anonymousreply 200June 4, 2017 7:34 PM

R200 It's been 4 hours since OP has answered you! She's probably digging with her greasy fingers that hole in her mommy's basement where she'll put Joan Jett.

by Anonymousreply 201June 4, 2017 11:44 PM

[quote]Even the guy who claims to have made out with her was calling her a lesbian - and the woman he thinks might be Joan Jett wasn't denying it. So, even in this story which is meant to be evidence for her being straight, according to you, she is being defined as a lesbian and defines herself as one.

Actually, I never said that that story proves she was straight. I said the story prove she was bisexual. I still think it does, because I really think it was her – considering how the guy concluded his blog, mentioning the fact that his sister had informed him that Joan Jett was indeed in the area, at the time of his meeting with the woman who was supposedly Joan. I mean, how many Joan Jett look-alikes are there in one place?! Let's be real here. It must've been her. Not to mention the tattoos with the same, as was the body.

[quote]The rest of the encounter sounds like he was really confused and it wasn't Joan Jet or, if it was Joan Jet, she was really, really drunk.

What evidence did the writer gives the Joan was drunk? I don't know how you came to that conclusion, just because she acted a little flirty with the man. So, rather than say she's bisexual, you would rather think she only did that because she was drunk? I don't think so. Especially considering the fact that Joan herself said she barely ever drinks. And did you miss the part where the guys said that this woman who was calling herself Sandy at the time of their encounter (something that a lot of celebrities do to disguise their identity) ended up leaving a note for him to come to her room, signed "Joan"?

You might want to read the blog post again.

by Anonymousreply 202June 5, 2017 5:15 AM

[quote]It's been 4 hours since OP has answered you! She's probably digging with her greasy fingers that hole in her mommy's basement where she'll put Joan Jett.

r202- If and when I ever meet Joan, I'm going to tell her all about you, just so she can have a good laugh. She'll love me for it. So. bring on the hilarity!

by Anonymousreply 203June 5, 2017 5:20 AM

Joan says she feels a bond with all of us, and that she doesn't ever want to lose it. She loves us, folks. So, lets be nice to each-other, aye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204June 5, 2017 4:44 PM

...Speaking of love, I love this collage, from a favorite Joan interview:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205June 5, 2017 5:34 PM

And here's Joan with Ellen Degeneres. Back when Ellen had her first sitcom, Joan played during the credits once, and this is a shot from that.

I've always had a major crush on Ellen, but next to Joan, the choice is tough! It would depend on which of them liked me more as to who I'd choose (though I'd want it to be Joan). Anyway, they both turn me on, and this picture brims with fabulousness!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206June 5, 2017 5:45 PM

Here's Joan at Disneyland/world with a small boy in a wheelchair. Could this have been a MAKE-A-WISH encounter? Not sure, but it is sweet.

On a side-note, this looks to be the time when she was still with THE RUNAWAYS, so it may have also been the same day Joan was kicked off the premises of the theme park for an offensive button she wore on her jacket or something. She left and came back jacket-free. That's how it went, as far as I know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207June 5, 2017 5:55 PM

This photo was added mere days ago to Instagram. Apparently, Joan is working on a movie called DINOSAUR.

She looks so unlike herself with her hair pulled back like that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208June 5, 2017 6:01 PM

Joan has a way of treating her guitar like a love-object. It's sexy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209June 5, 2017 6:07 PM

...Another sexy one of Joan and guitar:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210June 5, 2017 6:09 PM

Does anyone know where this spot on her eyeball came from? Is it an eye-ball mole (which is very rare but not unheard of), or is it the result of an injury?

I read that she injured her eye during ROCKY HORROR and had to go to the hospital for it. So, I thought maybe that was where the eye-ball spot came from, but then I saw pictures from even further back in time, when she had that eye-ball spot, so now, I'm not sure. Anyone know?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211June 5, 2017 6:14 PM

I love this one of Joan with Kristen Stewart. And, get a load of where Joan has her hand!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212June 5, 2017 6:23 PM

One of my fave teen photos of her:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213June 5, 2017 6:26 PM

This one looks like it was taken the same day she worked on ELLEN! Again, she's mega sexy with the more butch look- and that blonde hair was great on her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214June 5, 2017 6:29 PM

She looks great with this style too (though I like her best with the more butch look- at least mostly). Super smile! The eyes are smiling too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215June 5, 2017 6:33 PM

Here's an oddity: A photo of Joan locking lips with someone!

At first, I didn't like this, as I really don't want to think about her being with someone... I guess I'm a jealous fan. However, now I do appreciate it, because it shows that even with a man, Joan is the dominant, she takes the lead. And, that's hot. I mean, just look at the guy! She's not only kissing him, she's cradling his head! She just goes for it! Very hot and sexy! That guy's a lucky son-of-a-gun!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216June 5, 2017 6:40 PM

Joan's boobs look bigger here, and she looks less rock-star than usual:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217June 5, 2017 6:59 PM

...Oh, she was being made up for that DINOSAUR movie she's making in the above post. That explains it!!

Here's another from the same day, added just a month ago...and yeah, she looks quite different:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218June 5, 2017 7:03 PM

Joan was such a baby here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219June 5, 2017 7:12 PM

Joan's eye-mole is absent from this photo- either that, or it was digitally removed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220June 5, 2017 7:15 PM

Another from Joan's lovely blonde era:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221June 5, 2017 7:22 PM

Oh my! Now I know the reference behind the "Tough Titties" sticker on Joan's guitar! Ouch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222June 5, 2017 7:30 PM

...Speaking of Joan's guitar, get a load of the stickers she had on it in the mid-1990s!

Needless to say, a lot of her old guitar stickers have been removed, probably because she realized that she might not want to have a sticker that says "BUTT FUCKER" prominately displayed on her guitar, especially as she often does the family fair circuit! I'm surprised she got by with this for as long as she did, to be honest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223June 5, 2017 7:37 PM

...re: r223- Another indication that she likes to dominate in intimate scenarios. Crude but hilarious as can be!

She obviously wants us to know how she likes it in the boudoir- as if any of us would ever get the chance to comply, hehe!

by Anonymousreply 224June 5, 2017 7:41 PM

...Speaking of:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225June 5, 2017 7:47 PM

Joan's sense of humor is enough to make a grown man blush sometimes! For example, according to the friend of a bartender who was waiting on Joan one night, when she left the bar, she left behind her bottle of water, and written on the cap was the words "Pussy juice"!

It begs the question: did she leave it there on purpose? I can just imagine Joan scheming for shock-value. I think she knew exactly what she was doing when she left that bottle behind, haha!

by Anonymousreply 226June 5, 2017 7:56 PM

Joan, explaining her tattoos, in her own handwriting:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227June 5, 2017 8:31 PM

R203 to R227 are all OP's entries. Fucking wacko.

by Anonymousreply 228June 5, 2017 9:49 PM

r228- So what? You got a problem with it, get off the freakin' thread, you ol' buzzard! Do you not see the thread title? It's called "Loving Joan Jett"- meaning that yes, if I find something interesting, nice, fun, or whatever, I will post it here if it's related to Joan.

by Anonymousreply 229June 5, 2017 11:05 PM

r228- P.S. You jerk, as a Joan fan, you should love that someone is adding to this thread! And if you're not a fan, you have no business on here in the first place, so skidattle!

by Anonymousreply 230June 6, 2017 12:01 AM

r109 wrote:

[quote]You must be a dumb crazy troll because nobody in the world would characterize Suzi Quatro as a "comedian" who is attempting to "show how fun and likable she is."

Hate to break it to ya buddy, but it seems my instinct about Suzi wanting to come across as funny was right on the money! She even says herself that before she had musical ambitions, she thought she was going to be a comedian- which I just found out after watching this interview tonight (starting at about the 5:55 mark)!

So, I guess this means I'm a psychic and you're just a contrarian. Boo-ya!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231June 7, 2017 2:15 AM

Quatro was good on "Ab Fab" (guess she was much bigger in England in general; I only think of her from "Stumbling In", that rather bland 70s hit). But it's odd to think of her as Joan's hero because they seem exactly the same age and era. Maybe just a few years apart. But I guess Quatro came first if not long before Jett and the Runaways.

by Anonymousreply 232June 7, 2017 2:50 AM

r232- Yes, Suzi has long been more popular in England than in the US. She even took up residence in England in the 70s, and has been living there ever since, to my knowledge.

The most likely explanation for why groups like THE RUNAWAYS and individual musicians like Suzi Quatro were more enjoyed by the English or UK audiences in general probably has to do with the national media attention they received. We don't have or we didn't have an equivalent of that in the US.

I was listening to this reporter who specialized in music culture, and he put it very well,, when he said that the national media attention would've meant that most audiences knew who someone was, whereas the US had splintered media, some magazines covering this, others covering that. It was very sectarian coverage. And that created less of the mainstream audience than in the UK.

Regarding Suzi being Joan's hero, I think it's sort of a big sister-little sister thing. There's eight years difference between Suzi and Joan (approx. eight years and three months). So when Joan was 12 and just getting into Suzi Quatro, Suzi would've been about 20. That's just enough of an age difference for Joan to look up to her, the same way a little sister would, and say "Look how cool this person is! I want to do my hair like her and be just like her" – just like a little sister would, and it pretty much always annoys the big sister.

As Joan got older, and began to form her own all girl band, that's when Suzi's influence on her really came through. But for Joan, it was more than just looking up to someone like a little sister would, for Joan, Suzi was also her girl crush. And to look at it from an analytical point of view, I suspect this must have been confusing for Joan – she probably asked herself quite often "Is it that I want to be *like* Suzi, or is it that I want to be *with* Suzi?" This is something that a lot of homosexual people go through, I think. As we grow up, we get role models and heroes, but then we also get crushes on our role models and heroes. So, especially early on, we are never quite sure where the admiration ends and the lust begins. And a lot of the time, this can lead to some very uncomfortable conversations with oneself, wondering whether loving our hero equates with narcissistic self-love, if we want to be like our hero but we love them too. I'm almost positive Joan went through that, even if she put it out of her mind.

by Anonymousreply 233June 7, 2017 4:02 AM

...So, continuing from r233, I think this is why even in same-sex relationships, the principle of yen and Yang is still there, if the relationship is to be successful. One is the more dominant, masculine partner, while the other is the more submissive, feminine partner. And I think those relationships tend to last quite a long time, because when opposites attract, we don't look at our opposite and wonder if loving them makes us narcissistic. But we can look at somebody who is just like us, and wonder that about them.

That's why I think when the rumors started to circulate of Joan and Carmen Electra having something going on with each other, it rang true – because they are so opposite. The principle of yen and Yang definitely would've been present in their relationship. And loving Carmen wouldn't have confused Joan, like loving Suzi Quattro I'm sure did.

by Anonymousreply 234June 7, 2017 4:09 AM

This is nice. Apparently, if you word your letter right, you'll not only get a signed photo from Joan in the mail, she'll send you some surprise goodies too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235June 8, 2017 11:48 AM

...I just wish I knew what the dude said in his letter to score such a great package from Joan!

by Anonymousreply 236June 8, 2017 11:59 AM

Joan once remarked to journalist, Julie Burchill, "Man, the day I found out that Suzi Quatro wasn’t a dyke was the worst day of my life!"

Finally, a star who was a fan first! Joan understands how we feel about her, cause she's been there.

by Anonymousreply 237June 9, 2017 5:44 AM

Okay, I am now jealous as all get-out of Suzi Quatro, because come to find out, Joan had Suzi's name written on her rhinestone encrusted boots! Joan also named one of her dogs "Suzi" years ago! That's it, none of us can compete. Suzi is it for her. Damn!!!!

Why couldn't I be Suzi Quatro?! If I was Suzi, I would have definitely gone gay for Joan!

by Anonymousreply 238June 9, 2017 6:23 AM

Suzi had some great hits. This concert here would have been like what Joan would see back in her fangirling days.

I like:

SHE'S IN LOVE WITH YOU DEVIL GATE DRIVE ---and some others.

But, truthfully, Suzi is a much milder type than it seems Joan would like. That's cool though. I like that Joan can appreciate easy-listening too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239June 9, 2017 6:34 AM

Here's another of the best Joan interviews.

In her early 20s here (younger than Miley Cyrus is now), and yet, so composed and well-spoken. She just knew what she wanted, even back then. She's refreshingly honest, straight-forward, and even soft-spoken, which is sweet. She comes across as quite decent and humble, that's the vibe I get from this, despite her admitted penchant for swearing.

I still don't understand the change in her eyes though. Surely, even Joan herself would notice this, when looking back. Her eyes were more sleepy-looking or something... more serious. Could that be the effect of doing weed on no sleep or what? Serious question.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240June 10, 2017 2:54 AM

"Hate to break it to ya buddy, but it seems my instinct about Suzi wanting to come across as funny was right on the money! She even says herself that before she had musical ambitions, she thought she was going to be a comedian- which I just found out after watching this interview tonight (starting at about the 5:55 mark)!"

Hate to break it to ya buddy, but Suzi Quatro says a lot of bullshit. And she's never been even remotely "funny", but she does try very hard to be ingratiating, but always fails. She always comes across as a cunt who thinks a lot of herself. And I also hate to break this to ya, buddy: you're a crazy asshole with a lot of time on your hands. Get some help.

by Anonymousreply 241June 10, 2017 3:11 AM

r241- llet me get this straight: so, because I come here and post in a thread about somebody that I'm interested in, that makes me crazy? So, because I share something about Joan Jett that I like in a thread that happens to be about Joan Jett, that means I have too much time on my hands and need some help? Did you forget what you are doing here? You doing the same thing I am, except that you are being a troll! Go look up the word hypocrite, and you should find your name in there somewhere.

PS.

I doubt if Joan Jett would appreciate you treating one of her fans this way. She would kick your butt if she knew how mean you are!

PPS.

It doesn't matter what you think about Suzi Quattro, the point is I was right about her trying to be funny – so suck it!

by Anonymousreply 242June 10, 2017 3:15 AM

"It doesn't matter what you think about Suzi Quattro, the point is I was right about her trying to be funny – so suck it!"

You're not right about ANYTHING, asshole. Now go suck Joan and Suzi's withered clams, you retarded loser.

by Anonymousreply 243June 10, 2017 3:20 AM

r243- Here's a special message from Joan to you:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244June 10, 2017 3:29 AM

r243- I don't like to be mean, but you seem to want it to here ya go...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245June 10, 2017 3:31 AM

r243- Joan wouldn't like you treating me this way, so I'm sure she would want me to post this one too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246June 10, 2017 3:34 AM

The retarded loser at R244/246 has posted not one, not two but THREE replies in succession! Poor retarded asshole. He has nothing better to do. And never will have anything better to do, poor retard.

by Anonymousreply 247June 10, 2017 3:46 AM

Hey dude, you're the one coming on a thread you hate. Stay off it if it bothers you so much.

Are you sure you're even human, cause you don't do logic very well. Is yo mamma a lama? Is yo crony a pony? Is yo daddy a ratty?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248June 10, 2017 5:03 AM

^^^that goes to r247.

by Anonymousreply 249June 10, 2017 5:05 AM

Miley Cyrus' name comes up in this video clip, and it's clear that while she agrees they have talent, Quatro is not a fan of the conduct of today's big music stars. I wonder if she watched that cringe-worthy RnR Hall of Fame induction speech Miley gave for Joan? That's what gave me a bad taste in my mouth, so I can imagine Suzi must have plumb despised it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250June 10, 2017 5:13 AM

...That being said, personally speaking, I'm a fan of Miley's. But, at the same time, I think Suzi does have a point. Ugh, it's so complicated.

by Anonymousreply 251June 10, 2017 5:42 AM

Here's Joan just 8 days ago, with Tommy James from THE SHONDELLS (the group that originated CRIMSON AND CLOVER which became a hit for Joan).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252June 10, 2017 6:18 AM

Joan doing "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Some of the YouTube comments are kinda brutal to her, but she was 56 here and a woman, whereas Kirk Cobain was in his 20s. So, take that into consideration...

Wow, being interested in one person can open up a world of interests! Now, suddenly Nirvana is on my radar. Thanks, Joanie! <3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253June 10, 2017 7:34 AM

I like how in this one, I didn't even know Joan was in the video, cause it's Lorde singing. And then- boom! There's Joan next to her strummin' on the guitar, smile n' all. This is so nice!

Others on the stage with Lorde and Joan include Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254June 10, 2017 7:52 AM

Okay, true or false: Joan has false teeth?

Some people around the internet seem to think so. Her jaw does look different from when she first started, but her whole self looks different, so I don't know...

Speaking of false teeth, somebody posted a parody to the lyrics of Joan's I HATE MYSELF FOR LOVING YOU, re-titled "I LOST MY TEETH FROM DRINKING DEW" LOL!

So, what's the verdict? Teeth real or not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255June 10, 2017 11:13 AM

I love this girl so much!

She does something to me... I love her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256June 11, 2017 11:28 AM

Sometimes, I think I like her best in the 2000s, sometimes, the early 2010s, sometimes the 1980s, sometimes the 70s... sometimes butch, sometimes femme. I just can't decide anymore! I'm always changing my mind. All I know is that she has me in a trance, and I adore her!

Hot damn, I love this girl!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257June 11, 2017 12:42 PM

Oh, how I wish it were me kissing her here! Sweet Joanie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258June 11, 2017 2:29 PM

Wow, talk about rare! I wonder if this was fan-submitted or for a magazine? This really neat questionnaire appears to be from no later than the mid-1980s, before she became a vegetarian. WHAT A FIND!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259June 12, 2017 5:11 PM

More rare finds... Joan as a little girl:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260June 12, 2017 5:16 PM

Joan as a kid again- probably first day of first grade or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261June 12, 2017 5:18 PM

Joan as a kid 3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262June 12, 2017 5:23 PM

^^^I wish I knew what show or documentary these were screen-shots from.

by Anonymousreply 263June 12, 2017 5:25 PM

I'm partial to this look here- she was having a really good hair and make-up day this day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264June 12, 2017 5:31 PM

...and

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265June 12, 2017 5:34 PM

Here's something else sort of rare too- Joan literally getting snappy and mad during an interview! That doesn't usually happen. Maybe she was having a crappy day, but it does seem out of character for her. She was grumpy from the start, and to make matters worse, the journalist throws caution to the wind by bringing up a sore subject with her (Edgeplay: the Runaways Documentary), and here was her seemingly heated response:

" Edgeplay is a brutally revealing documentary by the band's one-time bass player, Victory Tischler-Blue. In stark contrast to the biopic, which focuses almost exclusively on the Jett- Currie relationship, Edgeplay shows the lingering damage and bitterness among the former "jailbait rock" group via candid interviews with all members - all except Jett, that is.

"Oh yeah, I saw it," she spits. "I didn't wanna be involved because I didn't want to do a Jerry Springer show.

"For me, it always comes back to the music and to have everybody whining about who did what to who - it's like talking about what you did in high school. I don't understand that the girls didn't see the broader picture and didn't have more fun. Is that all it was to them?"

But Tischler-Blue claims the first cut of her film was about the Runaways' music. She'd spent years assembling the footage for a retrospective concert document. It was only after Jett refused to license the songs, Tischler-Blue says, that she was forced to recut her footage to squabbling heads.

Jett considers this for a tense moment, then responds with rising passion. "Why would I let them use it? To put out this shitty documentary about the Runaways? That was me saying, ‘No, you can't use the songs that I wrote in the band I started to sit there and pick apart something I care about!'"

Well, I guess there's a first time for everything, cause I've never heard of her being moody like this, but there ya go.

[By the way, that picture used for the article was Joan in a TV show, playing a character. That was not "Joan Jett now" as the caption states.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266June 12, 2017 5:47 PM

...If it's true that Vicki wanted to make a music documentary that only turned into something else because of Joan's refusal to cooperate, I don't get it. I mean, if it was just to be about the music, why object?! But, maybe Joan knew that it was going to get catty regardless, so that's why? The whole thing is weird.

by Anonymousreply 267June 12, 2017 5:58 PM

On a lighter note, here's a lovely picture of Joan with Kristen Stewart, from 2010. Boy, every photo from that day is good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268June 12, 2017 6:02 PM

This article is so insightful, it's a revelation! Here's one of the best parts:

"Kenny [Laguna] is smiling again. He tells the story of what happened when he first met Joan after the Runaways folded. He took her in, bought her a pair of jeans because she didn't have any money and had only one pair of pants to her name. He then helped her put together an album of songs -- they co-wrote most of them -- and when they were about to start recording he suggested she allow studio musicians to overdub her rhythm guitar parts. She went through the roof and threatened to walk out.

"She confronts me on that right away," he says. "I said, 'You're so f------ poor you don't even have two pairs of pants. So don't do the record.' She said, 'I'd rather work at McDonald's.' And I'm thinking, 'Where does she get these balls to say this?' She calls my bluff right away."

"Right," says Joan. "I wasn't going to change just to get accepted."

"She was pretty wild," adds Kenny. "So many kids were coming to see her, kids who felt disenfranchised. She had a black leather jacket, she was singing that you didn't have to give a s--- about your reputation. It was vivid. It was definitely a statement. It was her. She got better, she drank less. When I met her she was a wild drinker. We used to have five glasses of wine on stage. Then, boom, she stopped outright."

"Yeah," she says. "Those were times when it was pretty crazy. I wasn't afraid of dying. I was afraid of losing the band, of not being able to be a musician."

AND I LIKE THIS PART:

"People usually use the word aggressive to describe me," she says. "I somehow don't think that's the right word. Tough? I think the word tough is too much. I think people get tough and aggressive mixed up with mean. I don't think I'm mean. For the most part I think I'm fairly easy to get along with."

That seemed evident after the Hammerjacks show when she sat on her bus for an hour, happily signing autographs and posing for snapshots with some of the most polite fans ever to grace a rock and roll coach.

"I was always too shy to ask people for an autograph," she says. "Too many times you see bands tell people to f--- off. It's such a special thing, getting an autograph. . . . "

What a delightful read! Hits right at the very heart of Joan, her philosophy, and her connection with her fans. This maybe the best Joan Jett article ever written!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269June 13, 2017 5:54 PM

Okay, so a lot of Joan Jett fans don't much care for Miley Cyrus, as this thread makes abundantly clear. But, as one of those same people who couldn't stand her crud and somewhat thoughtless speech at the RnR Hall of Fame when she was introducing Jett, I have to also confess to being a fan of hers. It doesn't change the fact that some of the things she said and did were severely misguided and still irritate me when thinking of them, but it means that my irritation of her doesn't come easy- and it doesn't come without some amount of admiration mixed in. Because, lets face it- even at her worst, Miley is infectiously spirited and upbeat, which I think we can all appreciate.

Hence, we don't have to like everything about her to still like her. And, if Joan and her like each-other, then I guess neither of them can be all that bad, huh? So, I'm glad if they're friends. This world needs more friends, to be a happier, more blissful place. And on that note, I'd like to give kudos to Miley for this fantastic song, which just oozes bliss, from start to finish! Here it is... to Jettheads and non-Jettheads alike: enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270June 14, 2017 7:45 AM

Oh crap! So, after posting that nice Miley video and trying to cut her some slack on this thread, she comes out with this! So, after giving Joan's fans second-hand embarrassment, by blabbing about the lengths Joan went to, in order to hide the weed smell in her hotel room, and after bragging that she freakin' smoked weed with Joan the first freakin' day they ever met, and after telling the world how into weed Joan is, during what was supposed to be a proud moment not only for Joan, but for her friends, family, and fans too----Miley is suddenly anti-weed?! Gee, thanks Miley! :-/

I don't care for weed either and rather wish Joan would quit too, but you made Joan look like a weed junkie and now this! Come on, Miley!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271June 16, 2017 4:09 AM

...I want a re-do of Joan's RnR induction!

by Anonymousreply 272June 16, 2017 4:16 AM

This obsessed dyke has achieved the impossible -- she's made me hate Joan Jett.

Anyone else? Everybody block OP (so tedious) and we'll just use this thread to talk about how much we hate Joan Jett.

by Anonymousreply 273June 16, 2017 4:26 AM

r273- If this thread is your excuse for hating JJ, then you never loved her to begin with, buzzkill!

by Anonymousreply 274June 16, 2017 4:28 AM

With OP blocked there are about twelve posts in this entire thread. Truly an unhinged dyke.

by Anonymousreply 275June 16, 2017 4:32 AM

r275- Liar.

And you are obsessed with me.

by Anonymousreply 276June 16, 2017 4:37 AM

...and yeah, I'M SOOOOO UNHINGED for chatting about Joan! How awful that I share my thoughts and findings here, in case others are interested in her too. Sheesh!

In the words of the great Cyril Ritchard as Captain Hook, "Brimstone and gal, what coveny is here!" You must be a complete arse!

by Anonymousreply 277June 16, 2017 4:53 AM

This video title is misleading- it's really clips of Joan's guest appearances on HIGHLANDER, and WALKER, TEXAS RANGER. So, this video is especially interesting- an unexpected treasure.

And anyone familiar with the ABC series, ONCE UPON A TIME will quickly note the strong resemblance Joan has during her HIGHLANDER guest-spot to ONCE star, Lana Parrilla. It makes me think that if ONCE UPON A TIME were made in the 1990s, Joan would have made a great evil queen (the part Lana plays now)!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278June 16, 2017 3:57 PM

Here's hotness personified, and her name is Joan!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279June 16, 2017 4:42 PM

Joan is adorable at the end of this 5 min. interview!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280June 16, 2017 4:44 PM

Here's an interview with all the Blackhearts on Rodney's show. It's clear that Joan has a great friendship with them all- they even flirtatiously play around. So easy-going...not uptight at all...not rehearsed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281June 16, 2017 4:50 PM

Stumbled across this RUNAWAYS MOVIE commentary, with Joan, Dakota Fanning, and Kristen Stewart. Interesting, but there are definately things Joan won't discuss. At one point, she says "You'll have to get your jollies somewhere else, nothin' to say here" when the scene between her and Cherie Currie making out came on. But, that's okay- I respect her sense of integrity- and she knows that we know what's up anyway (^_^)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282June 16, 2017 4:59 PM

I love her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283June 16, 2017 5:08 PM

Here's a screen-cap from her scene in the 2014 Lifetime TV movie, BIG DRIVER (based on a story by Stephen King). She looks quite good with the more sheer make-up look. For those who only know her for her bold, dark make-up and eye-liner, this is way different, but I like it a lot! I think I even prefer it.

Too bad she only had one real scene in the film, darn it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284June 16, 2017 5:14 PM

And in this photo from, I think 2013, she dons yet another make-up look- not as sheer as the above, but softer than her usual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285June 16, 2017 5:23 PM

A nice discovery- Joan Jett in her US Air Force uniform on her way to fly a jet!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286June 16, 2017 5:46 PM

Gettin' down n' dirty with her guitar during this one...really feelin' it. Watch the flirty side-eye too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287June 16, 2017 6:40 PM

"Are you sure you're even human, cause you don't do logic very well. Is yo mamma a lama? Is yo crony a pony? Is yo daddy a ratty?"

Your nonsensical babbling is retarded. But that's to be expected coming from a retard. By the way, your photos at R244/246 belie your assumption that Joanie is sweet, nice, and all that crap. In fact, they're further proof that Joanie is an unwashed cunt with the maturity and intellectual capacity of a maladjusted 12 year old. That's something the two of you have in common: mental retardation! No wonder you lover her so much. She's a fellow retard.

by Anonymousreply 288June 16, 2017 9:03 PM

[quote]By the way, your photos at [R244]/246 belie your assumption that Joanie is sweet, nice, and all that crap.

Hey, in case you haven't noticed – each of those pictures are from about 40 years ago! So, it doesn't necessarily reflect the Joan of today, who, in case you haven't noticed, tends to have a much more smiley, upbeat, friendly persona - especially over the last decade or so.

That being said, given the way you have spoken to me on this thread, I'm sure Joan would have no trouble flipping you the bird on my behalf – not because she's mean, but because she loves her fans too much to let somebody bring them down. If she did it, it would be out of love, not hate or anger. And so, it is in the spirit of love that I posted those to you. You're welcome!

by Anonymousreply 289June 17, 2017 7:58 AM

Of interest: here's Joan discussing the possibility of getting into the rock 'n roll Hall of Fame, just before it was announced that she would be getting in. I love the way she talks about it, and her whole attitude towards the whole thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290June 17, 2017 8:05 AM

Here's a real novelty – a song from Joan's EVIL STIG album, The one-off album that was issued to help raise money to capture the slain singer, Mia Zapata's killer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291June 17, 2017 8:09 AM

I really love this interview, and Joan's little crack about using her boot spurs to cut Pizza on the road, ha ha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292June 17, 2017 8:12 AM

This interview is also a hoot! She attempts to answer a fan letter by calling the fan on the telephone, live on Letterman!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293June 17, 2017 8:15 AM

Getting off the Letterman train, here she is with Craig Ferguson. She's particularly sexy here, the way she so winded at the start and mutters "Oh my God". How could that not be sexy?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294June 17, 2017 8:19 AM

From sexy to awkward, she's like a listless, distracted school kid in this interview, starting around the 20 minute mark. And the interviewer is like an intimidating professor! The whole thing plays out like a day in class, and Joan being called by the teacher to say a few words, ha ha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295June 17, 2017 8:25 AM

re: r294- That's two for the price of one – Craig is sexy as heck in that video too! His gratitude towards her entertaining the troops was very heartwarming as well. The phrase "God bless you" doesn't get used nearly often enough, but he used it here for her. And that was very sweet!

by Anonymousreply 296June 17, 2017 8:32 AM

When the heavy sexual orientation question came up in an interview with Joan about 8 years ago, here's how she responded:

[quote]It really boils down to this: I want to please everybody. I want every guy and every girl thinking that I'm singing these songs to them, because I am. If I make a hard, fast case on where I stand then that takes away a lot of the fantasy. Music entails a lot of fantasy. I want people to be able to go there with me. Some people might think it's a cop-out. I don't care. That's how I feel.

I like how she wants to be in all our fantasies; that's hot!

by Anonymousreply 297June 18, 2017 9:12 AM

OMG, I think I just found out once and for all where the spot on Joan's eye-ball came from! According to a post I just read:

"That is were a FAN threw a bracelet at Joan during the 'Up Your Alley' tour and hit her in the eye. Joan was pissed and kicked her mic over and walked off stage.so it's from a bracelet that hit her in the eye in 1989 at a show in the burbs of Philly, PA ."

Total ouch!!

I wonder where that fan is today? He/she is just lucky it wasn't like Taylor Swift they did that to, cause she would have most likely sued. Maybe after the heat of the moment, Joan realized that the fan meant well. Honestly, whoever that fan was, I feel sorry for him/her. You know they would never have done that on purpose. What an awful thing to have to live with, knowing that YOU did that to Joan and didn't even mean to. A nice gesture gone wrong is always sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298June 18, 2017 9:29 AM

...Joan is just blessed that she wasn't injured worse. Not sure, but I'll bet that if it hit hard enough, it could have blinded her.

by Anonymousreply 299June 18, 2017 9:35 AM

Here's something weird---apparently, Joan really dislikes Suzanne Somers- or, at least she did back in the 1970s. Here's what she said in one interview about it:

Joan Jett Interviewed By Al, X-8, & Gerrard on December 14, 1978 at Power Burger --------------------------------------- Joan: So the last song of the set he got up and jammed with us. You name it, Za Za Gabor, they were all there, Jacqueline Bisset - all these huge fuckers were there and they were plugging their ears and by the end of the set, they were all walking out. It was really great, really fun. There was a review of the party in the LA Times but it only talked about us.

Stan: Suzanne Sommers was there wasn't she?

Joan: Yeah, we got our picture taken with her. What a jerk that bitch is!

Stan: Suzanne Sommers was there wasn't she?

Joan: Yeah, we got our picture taken with her. What a jerk that bitch is!

Stan: Hey, leave her alone!

Joan: She's a jerk!

Stan: I'd like to see her.

Joan: Oh fuck you, horny bastard!

Stan: Well, I like girls.

Joan: Not this one, not if you get to meet her.

X-8: Does she have a good ass?

Joan: How could you tell?

Stan: I just saw her in Playboy and it had her tits in it!

Joan: She's so movie starish, phony smile...

X-8: I hear your audience is getting lesbian?

Joan: I don't know. It's hard for me to see out there sometimes plus sometimes I'm not really thinking about it. But I saw alot of guys out there. Yeah, I heard something about that. "Runaways dyke audience." And some people going "Hey Sandy, what a fox!" But I don't think that's the majority of our audience, though I don't care if they're anybody. I don't give a shit if they're transexual or bisexual, gay. I don't care, just so long as they like it and enjoy it.

X-8: What's your own personal closet habits?

Joan: what?

X-8: Your private pleasures?

Joan: Well, if they're private, they're gonna stay that way... I buy every dirty magazine in the world. I like to read them. I do. You know how wives go "Why are you reading that?" Well, honey the articles are good." Well, it's true, alot of the magazines have really good articles. I always buy Hustler cause they're tasteless. Oui....

X-8: You check out the girls?

Joan: Well what the hell are you supposed to do, close your eyes?

------------------------------------------

She's sure toned down the attitude since then, and I'm glad. In the early days, it's like she was trying to prove what a bitch she could be, as a way of showing how tough she was. She was so afraid of not seeming tough, I think. But, over the years, she's said that tough is not how she thinks of herself and that she strives to be nice. Basically, I think it just boils down to maturity. Joan has become more mature with age, and has thus become a bit kinder too... less concerned with trying to prove something.

I do wonder what it was about Ms. Somers that made Joan take such a dislike to her back then though. I like Suzanne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300June 18, 2017 11:24 AM

Interesting little tidbit from an old 1980s interview:

"On her tombstone Joan Jett would like to have engraved: 'This girl did something extremely important for rock and roll.'

She's uncertain as yet whether this has been achieved."

by Anonymousreply 301June 18, 2017 11:56 AM

This is cool. It's clear from seeing several examples now, that Joan likes to answer things in her own handwriting. Pretty neat, to give it that personal touch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302June 18, 2017 2:14 PM

Another handwritten letter from Joan- this one from her days in The Runaways.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303June 18, 2017 2:31 PM

Another great handwritten letter from Joan- this one, to ALL her fans.

Not sure when it was done, but it wishes everyone happy holidays, tells us to be safe, smart, and sends us love! Doesn't get much better than that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304June 18, 2017 8:21 PM

Joan at the peak of sexiness, here on a moter bike!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305June 18, 2017 9:09 PM

Just found out that Joan evidently isn't fond of cruises and turned down the chance to be part of the ROCK LEGENDS CRUISE. How peculiar.

by Anonymousreply 306June 18, 2017 9:34 PM

This is a screenshot of a story someone posted about how this guy took his girlfriend to see Joan in concert and got backstage passes, and that Joan and his girlfriend hit it off so well that night, that she actually stayed there with Joan that night rather than going home with him! Joan and her even supposedly started seeing each-other for a little while after that! Talk about luckiest, best fan experience EVER!

Sucks for the boyfriend though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307June 19, 2017 9:56 AM

Here's a picture of Joan with her younger siblings, sitting with Santa Clause!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308June 19, 2017 10:01 AM

Another letter from Joan, sent through her (now defunct I read) fan club.

Ah, the good ol' days before Twitter and websites that giving fans the (false) impression of closeness with a star, back to a time when they actually were close with their fans- personal-letter close! I say that's better! But, fan-clubs have been replaced with websites now- for a majority of stars. Alas, we really lost something in that transition...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309June 19, 2017 5:47 PM

I must say, despite the fact that nobody's perfect- not even Joan (as her politics and confrontational side sometimes demonstrates for example), the more I learn about her habits towards fans, the more grateful I am that there are still stars out there like her. I guess I might even say it's fitting that someone by the name of Joan would be carrying on this classic star trait- because Joan seems to have the same warmth and responsiveness to her fans that another famous Joan had- the legendarily great friend to her fans, Joan Crawford!

As we all probably know, this isn't always the case with stars- especially lately. Stevie Nicks is known for her standoffish with fans, being a sometime-y signer and for having a very impersonal nature with fan-mail, for example.

Of course, every star has their good and bad days. But, when the good seems to outweigh the bad, we're pretty lucky.

With Joan, we're pretty lucky.

by Anonymousreply 310June 19, 2017 6:09 PM

This interview shows my favorite look for Joan. I don't think she was ever cuter or more stylish than in the period between 2007 to 2009!

I mean, just look at it! Those clothes, that make-up, that hair, and even that shape! This was Joan's most chic period, I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311June 20, 2017 6:39 PM

...at least, it's my favorite look outside her look in the early 80s (before the big-hair 80s look took over). Outside of that, I'd say the 5 years between 2007-ish to 2012 was when Joan was at her cutest.

by Anonymousreply 312June 20, 2017 6:46 PM

Gosh, I hope this is false! No way does Joan seem the type to hook up with porn star, Jenna Jameson, but that's what this site says happened! Say it isn't so!!

Where in the world are these rumors coming from, and what in the heck is JJ doing in a pic with Jenna?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313June 20, 2017 9:26 PM

...the site also alledges that Joan had a relationship with adult model, Stephanie Adams in 2003, but there is no evidence of it, not even a picture! The only evidence is that Joan had or has a cat named Stephanie- so from that, someone dreamed up a relationship between Joan and this adult model?!

God in heaven, I hope this is a joke. Where do people come up with this stuff?!

by Anonymousreply 314June 20, 2017 9:30 PM

There are a lot of things I like about Joan, but often times, her dressing style is not one of them!

I have to call her out on this: your fly's unzipped, Joan! And your pants are so low, they're about to fall off!! Oy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315June 20, 2017 10:55 PM

I knew a boy in college once, who wore his pants so low, the campus had to make a new rule because of guys like him, subjecting us to his crack and junk. Totally tasteless, he was. Rude as can be, too. Why Joan would want to do her pants like these "gangsta" types makes no sense to me!

If she thinks it's sexy cause of showing some skin, here's an idea: pull your f-ing pants up, and just wear a midriff baring top! Ever think of that?!

by Anonymousreply 316June 20, 2017 11:03 PM

In this interview, Joan reveals that she's a James Bond fan and even hints that she would like to be James Bond and get the girl. It makes so much sense now!

She can be my Bond and get me anytime!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317June 21, 2017 4:57 AM

This video was either 2012 or 2013, and Joan was in top form here. I love the low-key hair-do she has here too, feminine and simple. Someone who is already a rock star and has that dark hair n' all doesn't need a spiky or loud hair-do to stand out. She already stands out by the way she works a crowd, etc.

Point is, lately, she's really been going with the big hair (short, choppy, spiky, puffy) and seemingly more make-up than ever. But, if only she understood how great she looks with a more simple do and low-key look, like here. I wish she'd go back to this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318June 22, 2017 6:07 AM

Well, come to find out, this here was only 4 days ago, and her hair is pretty good here, more subtle, less older-lady style than recently. Hmmm... maybe she's been reading this thread, haha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319June 22, 2017 12:35 PM

Beautiful smile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320June 22, 2017 2:28 PM

Joan Jett has GOT TO BE the most cute and simultaneously sexy as fuck woman ever!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321June 22, 2017 3:26 PM

Not sure if this is Joan, but the original poster of the image thought so, thus I suppose it is. Speaking of sexy...

She sure loves her guitar!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322June 22, 2017 3:35 PM

Okay, if Joan and Lita and Churie could be in the same room and pose for a picture together in 2014, someone please explain why they couldn't make a Runaways reunion work?!

Joan is all about girl power and that women can rock out just as good as the men. So, it really looks bad that the female bands can never seem to get it together for a reunion like the male bands can. And especially with The Runaways being so front and center of female rock, with all eyes on them to set a good example, it really looks bad!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323June 23, 2017 6:31 AM

Here's an interesting article from 2001, which contradicts earlier reports by band mates alleging that Joan and her manager, Kenny Laguna were the reasons that a reunion never happened. Early reports stated that a reunion never happened because Joan and Kenny wouldn't allow it. But, according to this 2001 interview with Cherie Currie, the real reason a reunion never happened was because Lita Ford kept finding fault with it and pulling out at the last minute, twice.

It's sad, because at the time, Sandy West was alive, and now, she isn't. If nothing else, Sandy's passing would be the reunion hasn't happened since, even though it seems Joan, Lita, and Cherie have all since reconciled. Joan doesn't want a reunion without the original drummer, and so, it won't happen in any official way. But, we'll take what we can get, right? It's at least nice that three of them are on good terms again. Nice to see them together, even if only in a picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324June 23, 2017 8:22 AM

This quote from Joan just jumped out at me. It's a meaningful reveal of her character, and I kinda like it:

[quote]I like the way black looks. I think I look better in darker clothes. And maybe the fact that I wear black so much makes me more aware of putting people at ease. The black is sort of the bad-guy guise, so I work overtime to make people comfortable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325June 30, 2017 3:50 PM

And here's another standout quote from that interview with Esquire:

"I was Mike Tyson's wake-up call for several fights — he would have me call him on the morning of a fight. He was so sweet to me."

by Anonymousreply 326June 30, 2017 3:57 PM

These are also some good quotes from her:

“I like the mystique factor. People don’t have to know exactly what you’re like.”

and

"There used to be something called mystique that was a big part of show business. You always wanted to keep something from people that they wanted to know. When they find everything out about you they go, 'OK. I'm moving on to this next person.' People devour information."

Ironic quotes, considering this thread is rather devouring of info itself. But, how right she is- especially about how fans operate, and the way they move on to the next person once they find out everything. Joan is right- mystique should make a comeback in the celeb world!

by Anonymousreply 327June 30, 2017 4:39 PM

...Or, better yet, mystique should make a come-back in the world in general. We're all over-exposed now- civilian and celeb alike.

by Anonymousreply 328June 30, 2017 4:45 PM

I don't hardly know her, but I think I could love her...

by Anonymousreply 329July 10, 2017 4:29 AM

Wow! What an unbelievable loser.

by Anonymousreply 330March 4, 2019 2:07 AM

I love threads with this much gusto. The people, both pro and con, just going at it, LOL!

by Anonymousreply 331May 28, 2019 8:51 PM

Joan is a mediocre (at best) guitar player who I've never found to be as talented as people seem to think. Her lyrics are boring, as are the riffs--she has a lot of attitude and seems like a cool lady, but I just don't get her music. The Runaways had a couple good songs, I guess. "Cherry Bomb" is an indubitable classic, though much of the strength there comes from Cherie Currie's detached vocal delivery. I don't care for anything in Joan's solo discography. She did set the precedent for women like Courtney Love though, who I actually like exponentially more because the music was harder and her lyrics were actually interesting.

by Anonymousreply 332May 28, 2019 9:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!