Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Celebrity hypocrites

Do you think that some "beloved" celebs are actually hypocrites? What about the ones that have foundations or lend their names to charities? Do you think they are sincere or seeking publicity?

by Anonymousreply 94June 23, 2020 2:31 AM

Stupid question. Of course some of them are hypercrites.

by Anonymousreply 1May 6, 2017 10:00 PM

Demi Lovato is totally phony with her support for mental illness causes.

by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2017 10:03 PM

Who me????

by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2017 10:04 PM

R2 She is??

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2017 10:09 PM

You called?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2017 10:12 PM

Not me

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2017 10:13 PM

Mariska Hargitay. What exactly does her charity do aside from have galas in NY and Hawaii and "raise awareness"? There was an interesting Deadspin article a couple of years ago that claimed her charity is more about branding than anything else. Apparently, the logo is owned by Kate Spade.

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2017 10:24 PM

You are talking about me?

Pill Cosby

by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2017 10:26 PM

Caitlyn of course.

by Anonymousreply 9May 6, 2017 10:33 PM

Rosie O

Roseanne

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2017 10:37 PM

Leave Sally alone!

by Anonymousreply 11May 7, 2017 3:34 AM

Miley Cyrus

by Anonymousreply 12May 7, 2017 3:47 AM

Sean Penn, he just had a star-studded fundraiser for his Haiti foundation.

by Anonymousreply 13May 7, 2017 4:03 AM

Leonardo DiCaprio. Yachts, jets, big houses but he wants others to make sacrifices for the environment.

by Anonymousreply 14May 7, 2017 4:11 AM

99.9 % of them are hypocrites 99% of the time.

by Anonymousreply 15May 7, 2017 4:16 AM

Sean Penn is the most sincere person in Hollywood and if you can not figure that out, you are nuts.

by Anonymousreply 16May 7, 2017 4:25 AM

If they were genuine about their charity work, we wouldn't hear anything about it.

Charity is a cold, grey, loveless thing.

by Anonymousreply 17May 7, 2017 4:38 AM

Chuck Woollery OWNS this thread

by Anonymousreply 18May 7, 2017 4:42 AM

R17 is right. Anonymous charity is for the benefit of the needy, plastering your name all over an ostentatious display of giving is for the benefit of the celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 19May 7, 2017 2:54 PM

R16 Hi Sean!

by Anonymousreply 20May 7, 2017 3:08 PM

Sometimes having a famous name supporting a charity is helpful. Other times, the celeb is only in it for their own publicity. I agree though, that most celebs are hypocritical narcissists.

by Anonymousreply 21May 7, 2017 3:13 PM

All these luvvies that drink champagne and demonstrate and live in hampstead. Try living on the rough side of town for a few weeks. Take a walk on the wild side for a change. Shooting and screaming, drug deals and needles on the doorstep. Oh yeah.

by Anonymousreply 22May 7, 2017 3:14 PM

ALL of them.

by Anonymousreply 23May 7, 2017 3:33 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 7, 2017 3:43 PM

The one occupying the White House right now.

by Anonymousreply 25May 7, 2017 3:46 PM

Luke Evans' model/actor BF Jon Kortajarena is now an Ambassador for Greenpeace.

This is the same person who attended a bullfight where bulls were slaughtered. But I guess the creatures in the oceans are different and need to be saved. Fuck the ones who walk the earth.

FUCKING HYPOCRITE. Greenpeace should be ashamed of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 26May 7, 2017 3:47 PM

I agree 100% about Leonardo DiCaprio.

by Anonymousreply 27May 7, 2017 3:49 PM

All of the celebs who participated in the whole "I'd rather go naked than wear fur" campaign, took the paycheck, and then wore fur out to whatever events they were attending.

by Anonymousreply 28May 7, 2017 3:50 PM

R26: Even the founder of Greenpeace thinks they've sold out.

by Anonymousreply 29May 7, 2017 3:53 PM

[quote]plastering your name all over an ostentatious display of giving is for the benefit of the celebrity.

Marketing failure says what?

by Anonymousreply 30May 7, 2017 4:15 PM

All the "be nice to everyone" types make racist and homophobic jokes as soon as the paparazzi are out of the room.

by Anonymousreply 31May 7, 2017 4:17 PM

R30 a celeb name isn't required to get money. The vast majority of charitable donations don't originate because some fame whore asked for it. People give to things close to their heart - families of patients give to cancer, Alzheimer's, MS research etc.

by Anonymousreply 32May 7, 2017 4:23 PM

Taylor Swift is a big hypocrite. She is constantly playing the victim and she uses "feminism" whenever it suits her own agenda. Kim Kardashian rightfully exposed her.

by Anonymousreply 33May 7, 2017 4:28 PM

And a celeb name isn't required to sell products, either; but when celebrities speak out, or appear in advertisements, it garners interest/support which translates into sales or donations. Why do you think republicanscum just hate the fact that Hollywood prefers Democrats?

by Anonymousreply 34May 7, 2017 4:29 PM

Don't be naive OP, ALL of them dear.

by Anonymousreply 35May 7, 2017 4:38 PM

The general idea that when someone supports a cause means that they must then adhere to the most ridge of standards is perplexing; for instance, Leo DiCaprio's use of jets and big houses. At what point would his consumption become acceptable? Should he not drive anything but a Prius? Or should he just walk everywhere he goes? Does the fact that he has solar panels on his house not count (assuming he does; I don't follow DiCaprio or know enough about him to know his energy use profile)? Or should he live in a micro house completely off the grid? I mean, look at the way those on the right deride conservation activists like DiCaprio while simultaneously mocking celebrities like Ed Begley Jr who actually do practice what they preach.

by Anonymousreply 36May 7, 2017 4:42 PM

For the ones that have their own foundations, I wonder how much work the charity actually does or if it's just a write-off for the celeb.

by Anonymousreply 37May 7, 2017 4:46 PM

Gwyneth Paltrow. Does that pretentious cunt even have a charity?

by Anonymousreply 38May 7, 2017 4:47 PM

They're all hypocrites. Just follow the money. That's the motivating factor for celebs and their charities.

by Anonymousreply 39May 7, 2017 4:53 PM

[quote] The general idea that when someone supports a cause means that they must then adhere to the most ridge of standards is perplexing; for instance, Leo DiCaprio's use of jets and big houses.

He doesn't just fly in jets. He flies in private jets. He doesn't just have a big house, he has a few big houses. I don't need to hear a cunt like that lecture me on cutting my carbon footprint. His carbon footprint last year was bigger than my carbon footprint for my entire life

by Anonymousreply 40May 7, 2017 5:52 PM

Look at what I said and you quoted: [strong]use[/strong] of jet[strong]s[/strong], big house[strong]s[/strong]. Are you suggesting that someone who supports a cause (like environmentalism) should be prohibited from enjoying the fruits of their labor and good fortune? I think there's a word for that...

by Anonymousreply 41May 7, 2017 6:15 PM

Well, at least DL doesn't strip out the html-like elements.

by Anonymousreply 42May 7, 2017 6:16 PM

Bette Midler who wouldn't have a career if it wasn't for the gays but doesn't believe they should marry (see the awkward Larry King interview from some years ago).

by Anonymousreply 43May 7, 2017 6:19 PM

Lady Gaga's Born This Way charity was exposed a few years ago for taking in millions in donation but only giving out one grant for $5000. I think they all do this, I would never donate to any of them.

by Anonymousreply 44May 7, 2017 7:31 PM

Kim Kardashian

by Anonymousreply 45May 7, 2017 10:19 PM

Kate Winslet, very big hypocrite (imo) . I always thought she was pretty and never understood why she'd get so much flak for being "fat". She was buttery and creamy in the Titanic (Victorian women were softer, "curvier")...and usually Brits are dry. So she had said for YEARS that those who run and work in Hollywood told her to lose weight. This went well into the early/mid 2000's------Recently, with many actresses speaking out on being paid LESS than their male conterparts. Kate Winslet said that she doesn't talk about money and perhaps it's beacuse she is English (I get that, I have English parents), But she went on to say that she was never treated unfairly by anyone in the industry. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 46May 7, 2017 10:38 PM

all of them

by Anonymousreply 47May 14, 2017 10:03 PM

$u$an $arandon

by Anonymousreply 48May 14, 2017 10:05 PM

Bono. Lives in a palatial apartment on Central Park West and is a pain in the ass to his neighbors yet tries to make the world feel guilty about Africa.

by Anonymousreply 49May 14, 2017 10:06 PM

I thought Bono lived in a tax haven. For a philanthropist he sure doesn't like to pay his own way.

by Anonymousreply 50May 14, 2017 10:08 PM

R49 How is Bono "a pain in the ass to his neighbors"?

by Anonymousreply 51May 14, 2017 11:00 PM

All gay actors involved in bearding schemes.

by Anonymousreply 52May 14, 2017 11:07 PM

Something to do with squabbling with the people in San Remo, he didn't want them using their fireplaces.

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2017 12:02 AM

I always thought Ellen was happy and fun and always dancing with fans. But it sounds like the real Ellen is rather dark personality wise. That was a disappointment assuming it's true.

by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2017 12:54 AM

Sure, but isn't apartment dwelling a lot more eco-friendly than having a big free-standing home with a (gag) lawn?

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2017 3:38 AM

Ask any of Mariska Hargitay's Hampton neighbors what they think of her. Huge hypocrite, not to mention a terrible neighbor who thinks her celebrity status makes her exempt from obeying local bylaws.

by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2017 3:50 AM

Don't get me started.

by Anonymousreply 57May 15, 2017 4:03 AM

I always thought the millionaires who started foundations in their own names generally funded it themselves, both altruistic and tax saving. I don't get Caitlyn Jenner starting one in her name and then flogging donations from the masses when she has millions to spend quietly. I don't recall Rockefellers out there asking the masses for their dimes.

by Anonymousreply 58May 15, 2017 7:23 AM

Eddie Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2017 7:40 AM

Hardcore feminist Jessica Chastain producing a movie with big time abuser Matthew Newton is one of the most hypocritical things I've ever seen in Hollywood. He stepped down as director, but he's still getting paid for his screenplay. Jessica still hasn't issued a statement about it. There's simply no way she or anyone in her circle didn't bother to google this guy beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 60February 13, 2020 8:36 PM

Meryl Streep - she called Harvey Weinstein "God" and gave Roman Polanski a standing ovation at the 2003 Oscars, then made positive statements about the #metoo movement.

Natalie Portman - also signed the Polanski petition, but makes a big deal out of what a "feminist" she is.

Jimmy Kimmel - he talks about gun control then claims to be apolitical ("I'm just a comedian").

Joss Whedon - also made a big deal out of what a "feminist" he is, but cheated on his wife constantly and uses the "casting couch" to cast his projects and for writers.

Every celeb listed in the Paradise Papers.

by Anonymousreply 61February 13, 2020 8:58 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 62April 21, 2020 4:08 AM

Matt Damon has spent the past decade having to backtrack some of his time deaf statements because he exposed himself as a hypocrite faux liberal.

by Anonymousreply 63April 21, 2020 4:09 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 64May 25, 2020 12:50 AM

DiCaprio = douchebag lectures us constantly about our carbon footprint yet he takes private jets everywhere. Kudos to Joaquin Phoenix for taking a jab at him at the Golden Globes.

Streep = this cunt praised the me too movement and shoved her politics down our throats at the Globes but of course knew nothing about her BFF Harvey. Also, check out her standing O for Roman Polanski.

Chastain = for the longest time, this two faced bitch wouldn’t shut the fuck up about all things gender. When notorious abuser Matthew Newton was hired to write the script for her latest project, she shockingly had no comment.

by Anonymousreply 65May 25, 2020 12:59 AM

Jennifer Lawrence said she wanted to see Weinstein go to jail but we all know she fucked six ways from Sunday for movie roles.

by Anonymousreply 66May 25, 2020 1:03 AM

Mr. Clooney is constantly up on his soapbox preaching about "human rights" yet when the story about child labor picking the coffee beans for his lucrative Nespresso deal broke he could only manage to say he was "sad", no long lecture about that and certainly no action taken.

by Anonymousreply 67May 25, 2020 1:07 AM

Bill Maher. Acts liberal and claims to support feminists but talks to pretty or smart women with obvious disdain. Dates only WOC whom he obviously feels superior too. Extols the virtues of smoking pot while saying eating an orange is like inviting the plague into your house. Also friends with Ann Coulter?

by Anonymousreply 68May 25, 2020 1:21 AM

R68: I thought he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 69May 25, 2020 1:23 AM

Sting and Trudie Styler

by Anonymousreply 70May 25, 2020 1:54 AM

Demo Moore.

by Anonymousreply 71May 25, 2020 1:58 AM

R69 - I think he is and he is too much of a hypocrite to say it.

by Anonymousreply 72May 25, 2020 2:27 AM

R70 - yeah either major asshole written all over.

by Anonymousreply 73May 25, 2020 6:34 AM

Jada Smith. Nasty and low class boozer, racist and show off who claims depth through that table talk nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 74May 25, 2020 6:35 AM

Joel

by Anonymousreply 75May 25, 2020 6:41 AM

R74 what has Jada said that makes you think she's racist??

by Anonymousreply 76May 25, 2020 8:22 AM

Strip away the phony tinsel of Hollywood and you'll find the real tinsel underneath.

by Anonymousreply 77May 25, 2020 11:17 AM

I can specifically name several, and specifically why, however, I won’t.

Everyone knows what they, themselves, did last summer. LOL.

Never too late to stop pointing fingers, look inside one’s heart, and change some hypocritical ways, YES???

by Anonymousreply 78May 25, 2020 11:34 AM

Christina Aguilera sang the song "Can't hold us down" to raise awareness about double standards between men and women but then she let her son get circumcized where he was actually "held down" against his will. What a hypocrite she is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 25, 2020 11:55 AM

R68 but he invited this feminist to his show. What else do you want?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 25, 2020 11:57 AM

R67 I agree with you. He is so two-faced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 25, 2020 12:01 PM

R66 eeeew

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 25, 2020 12:04 PM

R79 Jesus, her boobs look ridiculous in that outfit 👀

by Anonymousreply 83May 25, 2020 12:13 PM

R61 Madonna even called him "punisher". I wonder why...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 25, 2020 12:29 PM

R46 I am on Kate's side here. The wage gap has been debunked since the 70s and dumb ass celebrities want to bring the "wage gap" discussion into the realm of hollywood where people are paid based on popularity. For instance Lawrence was paid more than her male co-star Pratt in Passengers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 25, 2020 12:42 PM

How very DARE you, OP!

I am truly appalled by violence against the defenseless.

And don’t I look ADORABLE in my pixie cut and expensive coat made from goose feathers and fur!

I bake cookies for my costars on set. I’m just a real girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 25, 2020 12:51 PM

R33 Like a child she made "the man music video" and played the victim instead of admitting to her mistakes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 25, 2020 12:54 PM

R36 But he even behaved that way to get his "environmental award". He could have also declined the award and made a youtube video or something similar instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 25, 2020 12:56 PM

R12 I think she is pretty consistent in her deranged views. According to this website at least...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 25, 2020 1:02 PM

Amy "Anyone who is not a feminist is insane" Schumer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 25, 2020 3:26 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 91June 23, 2020 1:00 AM

R5 I know it’s fun to mock U2 but I lived in Dublin years ago and U2 redeveloped a shit ton of that city with their own money. They weren’t loved unconditionally but even the many, many Irish I knew who hated them admitted that they had done a lot for Dublin and Ireland. Things may have changed but I think on the balance, they’ve done more good than bad.

by Anonymousreply 92June 23, 2020 1:05 AM

[quote] Ask any of Mariska Hargitay's Hampton neighbors what they think of her

Examples please. I don't hear about her, period. Unless it's some fawning over what a "badass" she is.

by Anonymousreply 93June 23, 2020 1:22 AM

All of them. Okay, most of them. I think Ed Begley Jr. practices what he preaches.

And some don’t preach, so I appreciate that.

by Anonymousreply 94June 23, 2020 2:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!